"I am unsure, Yoritomo-san. All I can truly say is that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link." Tendo replies as he ties his travelling bag to his bisento. "If you are aware that you have a weakness and do not remedy it, you do yourself a disservice."

"Oh yeah, it's that being aware of it that's tricky, though. I mean...Soshi-san knows she needs some more muscle, I know I'm too humble and kind hearted," she winked at him on the last, "but it takes some...something to look at yourself and go, 'Well, here's what's wrong with me, time to go to work on it', yeah? Or do you see it different, being a monk and all?"

"No worries though, you stick with me, Akodo-san, and Miya-dono, we'll get you whipped into samurai-ko shape, yeah?

"I'm sure our training here will do so." Nori could tell this was going to become a thing. One moment she'd agree, the next she'd be dancing over the makibishi littered ground the older women left so naturally in her wake. There was little she had to teach a Scorpion, and even less for a student of the Isawa school.

@The king Chad @storybookknight
"I will go with Kenta-sama to set the camp. A little road dust is no bother, and the water will still be there after we exert ourselves."

Though the baths of the Seppun in Toshi Ranbo were of note, these meager field baths were much less so. They allowed one to get clean, and little else; luckily, little else was required of them. Those who wished to clean themselves immediately did so, those who did not did not, and soon all were together and present in setting up the campsite.

The forest on the southern slopes of the Mountains of Regret is populated primarily with buna trees, though here and there you see the occassional katsura. The tall, leafy trees form a shadowed green canopy overlaying the trail, and to either side of the trail's packed earth the soil is thick with loam and dense with underbrush. The cool shade is welcome after the fast march, and as dusk nears a welcome breeze blows off the plains. Here, it seems as though the horrors of the past few weeks are nothing but a bad memory.

The campsite itself is merely a clearing where trees have been felled, a few stumps marking where they once lay. Strips of lumber have been set up in one corner of the clearing so that supplies can be set upon them without risking the dew pooling underneath, and there is an ash-filled depression in the center of the clearing where fires have been set upon previous occasions.

At Masatsuko's nod, you open the large wooden crate. Inside are a few tarps, which can be used to set up and keep an area free from rain; a few sets of nameless banners and flags, a meager amount of food... and the rest of the box appears to be filled with scrolls in water-resistant cases, similar to what a shugenja might carry. Rather than prayers to the kami, however, these scrolls apparently contain laws. Regulations on taxes, tariffs, rules on whether rice must be milled before it is delivered to tax collectors, rules on whether fish or poultry or preserved vegetables can be used as a substitute for grain... it seems that you may have some study ahead of you in the days to come.

As you busy yourselves with the task of making camp, you hear an "Ahoy there!" from the direction of the trail. A young, boyish man in the colors of the Crab steps into view. "Thought I'd come see who our neighbors were." He raises his eyebrows. "The Unluckies, huh? Well, how about that. I'm Yasuki Otori, from First Squad. First place gettin' here, too. How'd you guys do?"

"Come alongside and sit a spell, Yasuki-san!" Rumina called back to him, putting down the scroll she'd been squinting at with a certain finality.

"Just one other Squad 'tween us and you, so not too bad for 'Unluckies'...course, we did make a little detour to clean out a bandit problem, but hey. First into camp, good on you all."

"Come alongside and sit a spell, Yasuki-san!" Rumina called back to him, putting down the scroll she'd been squinting at with a certain finality.

"Just one other Squad 'tween us and you, so not too bad for 'Unluckies'...course, we did make a little detour to clean out a bandit problem, but hey. First into camp, good on you all."

"I'm... Still a little agitated that those bandits accused me of using maho"

Takara glanced up from the list of laws and regulations she was committing to memory. "But... I suppose they did pay the price--the kami were rather willing to play along with my improvisation that day."

"Otori-san! It is good to see a clansmen this far north!" Kenta stands and greets the young Yasuki.

"Ya, we took a 8 hour detour to clear out some bandits messing with Seven Mile Village. Found out they'd been driven out from their former camp by bloodspeakers somewhere around here. Be on your guard, and let your Gunso know." Kenta thinks for a minute. "You have news from home? I'm afraid I was assigned to lion lands for some time before the Rain."

Takara glanced up from the list of laws and regulations she was committing to memory. "But... I suppose they did pay the price--the kami were rather willing to play along with my improvisation that day."

Tamotsu looked up from the scrolls, where he sat dutifully beside Takara. Thankful for the excuse for a break, he placed the text he had been studying back down into its crate and shuffled a little to try and work some sensation back into his numb shoulders.

"Those were the words of cowards and fools, Takara-san," Tamotsu said dismissively, shaking his head "Ignorant men and women, and criminals besides, who lost control of themselves out of fear and a failure to recognise the workings of the Kami. Pay it no mind."

Doru had taken life before - plenty of it. The escape from the capital had seen to that.

But he had not bowed to the practices of inferior swordsmen when testing his blades, and his battles had been against monsters, not men. In many ways, it was far easier to kill a goblin or an ogre than a man. Especially one who - though forced into infamy through desperation - had fought against the bloodspeakers. Had they met a few days before, they might have fought along side each other. Now, the nameless spearman was a corpse, with nobody to remember him.

He had felt Temper's disquiet as well, the sword slightly quivering in his hands when he had last sheathed it. After cutting down true evils, the blade found lesser foes unworthy.

A bath had helped collect his thoughts, and some mindless labor had helped him put them aside. Setting up camp was routine enough to not require too much thought, but novel enough to keep his mind from wandering. Too soon he finished, hammering the final peg into the ground.

Tamotsu looked up from the scrolls, where he sat dutifully beside Takara. Thankful for the excuse for a break, he placed the text he had been studying back down into its crate and shuffled a little to try and work some sensation back into his numb shoulders.

"Those were the words of cowards and fools, Takara-san," Tamotsu said dismissively, shaking his head "Ignorant men and women, and criminals besides, who lost control of themselves out of fear and a failure to recognise the workings of the Kami. Pay it no mind."

"Indeed. In these dark times, we can expect many will ascribe any misfortune to the forces of evil. We will need to be cautious of them without falling into the same mistake."

"Eh. Shiba-san's got the right of it. If they had any guts, they've had took their home back from the Tainted or died trying. If they had any honor, they wouldn't steal food from starving folks, and if they had any brains they'da found a way to make ends meet that wasn't land pirating. Whole lotta lords looking for swords and hands to hold'em right now...so yeah. No guts, no brains, and no honor. Who gives a rat turd what they thought about anything?"

"Indeed. In these dark times, we can expect many will ascribe any misfortune to the forces of evil. We will need to be cautious of them without falling into the same mistake."

"Cause a lot of the times they are? Fortunes know, we had four squadmates turn into monsters, Akodo-san's old squad, well...you got to treat every shadow like it's got a tiger in it. Cuz the first one you don't treat like that, that's the one a tiger comes out of and eats you."

Last edited:

"A detour to clean out a bandit problem?" The Crab laughs. "Now this, I have to hear. And third, despite all that?" He shakes his head self-deprecatingly. "Well, there's five bu I'm not going to see for a while."

"Otori-san! It is good to see a clansmen this far north!" Kenta stands and greets the young Yasuki.

"Ya, we took a 8 hour detour to clear out some bandits messing with Seven Mile Village. Found out they'd been driven out from their former camp by bloodspeakers somewhere around here. Be on your guard, and let your Gunso know." Kenta thinks for a minute. "You have news from home? I'm afraid I was assigned to lion lands for some time before the Rain."

"Oi, Hida-san! Aye, a pleasure!" He takes a second to examine your Mon closely. "Of the Moshibaru Hida? I think I knew your cousin, Ao-san? Shame about what happened to her, but she served the Clan with honor."

As you discuss the detour, Miya speaks up. "Um... we took a three hour shortcut, so we only wound up marching five hours extra.... we made very good time the first day."

"Oh ho!" Otori says. "I see how it is, you've practically got a Hiruma with you! As for news from home... no, afraid not. I've news from the north and east, but nothing from back home, yet. I'd be glad to swap tales with you on what I do know, though I'm afraid that little of the news is good. I was up in Phoenix lands myself, trading tea for dyes, mostly."

Doru had taken life before - plenty of it. The escape from the capital had seen to that.

But he had not bowed to the practices of inferior swordsmen when testing his blades, and his battles had been against monsters, not men. In many ways, it was far easier to kill a goblin or an ogre than a man. Especially one who - though forced into infamy through desperation - had fought against the bloodspeakers. Had they met a few days before, they might have fought along side each other. Now, the nameless spearman was a corpse, with nobody to remember him.

He had felt Temper's disquiet as well, the sword slightly quivering in his hands when he had last sheathed it. After cutting down true evils, the blade found lesser foes unworthy.

A bath had helped collect his thoughts, and some mindless labor had helped him put them aside. Setting up camp was routine enough to not require too much thought, but novel enough to keep his mind from wandering. Too soon he finished, hammering the final peg into the ground.

"Eh. Shiba-san's got the right of it. If they had any guts, they've had took their home back from the Tainted or died trying. If they had any honor, they wouldn't steal food from starving folks, and if they had any brains they'da found a way to make ends meet that wasn't land pirating. Whole lotta lords looking for swords and hands to hold'em right now...so yeah. No guts, no brains, and no honor. Who gives a rat turd what they thought about anything?"

"Cause a lot of the times they are? Fortunes know, we had four squadmates turn into monsters, Akodo-san's old squad, well...you got to treat every shadow like it's got a tiger in it. Cuz the first one you don't treat like that, that's the one a tiger comes out of and eats you."

"I don't know, Yoritomo-san, Shiba-san," says Toku Kintaro. "I think that Soshi-san perhaps has the right of it." He gives a quick glance over to Bayushi Hisateru, who is currently doing his best to completely ignore the conversation that has Takara in it, and is simply trying to cool off and drink as much water as possible. "It would normally be all but impossible to mistake the holy gifts of the kami for anything other than what they are. That these bandits jumped so quickly to such a conclusion... they must have met with some maho-tsukai recently. Aye, you're right that people are likely to assume that any enemies are using maho, Tsi-san, but... they broke too readily. Even for those who are naturally fearful and cowardly sorts, to immediately assume maho-tsukai instead of magistrates speaks of a recent encounter with such, as did..." he looks briefly over at the Crab, who had picked through the bodies of the dead for information, and shakes his head slightly. "Our observations. Soshi-san is right to be cautious."

"A detour to clean out a bandit problem?" The Crab laughs. "Now this, I have to hear. And third, despite all that?" He shakes his head self-deprecatingly. "Well, there's five bu I'm not going to see for a while."

"You were gambling on when we'd come straggling in? Well, I never." Rumina raised a hand to her mouth in mock horror. "Any betting on how we'll do in the rest of the training? Just curious, you understand. Not like I'd try to rig it, even if there was a decent bit of koku on the line and a good looking fellow asking me to."

"I don't know, Yoritomo-san, Shiba-san," says Toku Kintaro. "I think that Soshi-san perhaps has the right of it." He gives a quick glance over to Bayushi Hisateru, who is currently doing his best to completely ignore the conversation that has Takara in it, and is simply trying to cool off and drink as much water as possible. "It would normally be all but impossible to mistake the holy gifts of the kami for anything other than what they are. That these bandits jumped so quickly to such a conclusion... they must have met with some maho-tsukai recently. Aye, you're right that people are likely to assume that any enemies are using maho, Tsi-san, but... they broke too readily. Even for those who are naturally fearful and cowardly sorts, to immediately assume maho-tsukai instead of magistrates speaks of a recent encounter with such, as did..." he looks briefly over at the Crab, who had picked through the bodies of the dead for information, and shakes his head slightly. "Our observations. Soshi-san is right to be cautious."

"Excuse me? You think Soshi-san's right to beat herself up and get all hot and bothered cause a bunch of thieving trash called her a Bloodspeaker? That's what you're saying?"

Last edited:
"You were gambling on when we'd come straggling in? Well, I never." Rumina raised a hand to her mouth in mock horror. "Any betting on how we'll do in the rest of the training? Just curious, you understand. Not like I'd try to rig it, even if there was a decent bit of koku on the line and a good looking fellow asking me to."

"Excuse me? You think Soshi-san's right to beat herself up and get all hot and bothered cause a bunch of thieving trash called her a Bloodspeaker? That's what you're saying?"

"No Rumina-sama, he means that the empire as a whole is ignorant as to the taint, and what it can do, and everyone is panicking. It was more a comment about how we are likely to encounter more people who jump to the worse conclusions and less about Takara-sama feeling bad about herself. Takara-sama should not beat herself up about it though, they were clearly not in their right mind. But some people who fight the tainted...break. And are never in their right mind again."

"Oh ho!" Otori says. "I see how it is, you've practically got a Hiruma with you! As for news from home... no, afraid not. I've news from the north and east, but nothing from back home, yet. I'd be glad to swap tales with you on what I do know, though I'm afraid that little of the news is good. I was up in Phoenix lands myself, trading tea for dyes, mostly."

"Indeed?" Tamotsu asked, pleasantly surprised "Do you mind if I ask how the region is doing? We were able to weather the rain admirably well, thanks to the powers of our Shugenja, but in times like this that can turn around quickly."

"It may indeed be possible that the bandits we fought had recently encountered maho-tsukai, Toku-san" Tamotsu allowed "But that matters little. Regardless of their reasons, the bandits made a foolish assumption out of hysterical fear and ignorance; if Takara-san allowed the words of every fool and criminal in the Empire to weigh upon her, she'd never have time for anything else. Among the Phoenix, we care little for those who speak from ignorance. In this matter, I am in complete agreement with Yoritomo-san."

"No Rumina-sama, he means that the empire as a whole is ignorant as to the taint, and what it can do, and everyone is panicking. It was more a comment about how we are likely to encounter more people who jump to the worse conclusions and less about Takara-sama feeling bad about herself. Takara-sama should not beat herself up about it though, they were clearly not in their right mind. But some people who fight the tainted...break. And are never in their right mind again."

"I cannot say whether the men and women we fought were mad," Tamotsu said "But whether they were or weren't, it makes little difference here in this case. Takara-san is uncomfortable as a result of their words, but she is an Ishi shugenja trained by the greatest masters of the Void in the Empire; she is above the babbling of criminals."

Last edited:

Yasuki Otori raises his eyebrows and moseys a mite closer to Rumina. "Well, you don't say. As it stands, there's a lot of people who are convinced that the Unluckies will do either well or poorly... which means that I'd wager you could get good odds if, say, you came in fourth overall for the competitions this week..." he trails off suggestively.

"Indeed?" Tamotsu asked, pleasantly surprised "Do you mind if I ask how the region is doing? We were able to weather the rain admirably well, thanks to the powers of our Shugenja, but in times like this that can turn around quickly."

Otori kind of shakes his head at Tamotsu, and looks between him and Yoritomo Rumina. "Well, your wards held well enough, except for Toshi no Omoidoso. The rumors had it... well, apparently a whole fleet of Mantis got turned by the Rain, and they turned and fell on the City of Remembrance fast enough for the wards to fall and the rains to hit that city, too." He looks to Rumina and inclines his head slightly. "I didn't see it myself, so... I can't say for sure, but the rumors are saying that it was Kitao that led the assault." He sighs. "In any case, that's why I'm here. Our clan warehouses in Toshi no Omoidoso burned to the ground, so I figured I would find myself somewhere I could be a bit more useful."

Kintaro looks confused. "Wait... you thought I meant she should think her own magics tainted by maho?" He tilts his head to the side and chuckles. "Did I really speak so poorly? I merely meant to agree with Soshi-san that their statements were discomforting because they proved that active casters of maho were about!" He bows deeply to Takara. "I apologize humbly if I implied otherwise. I am certain that a priest of the kami such as yourself knows better than to pay heed to the ignorant words of such ruffians. "

"I cannot say whether the men and women we fought were mad," Tamotsu said "But whether they were or weren't, it makes little difference here in this case. Takara-san is uncomfortable as a result of their words, but she is an Ishi shugenja trained by the greatest masters of the Void in the Empire; she is above the babbling of criminals."

Kenta raises one eyebrow and quizzically and nods in the direction of said shugenja, who is clearly still upset by the encounter as if to mentally say, You sure about that Shiba? The words of Criminals did this, so clearly she is not above the babbling of criminals.

Kintaro looks confused. "Wait... you thought I meant she should think her own magics tainted by maho?" He tilts his head to the side and chuckles. "Did I really speak so poorly? I merely meant to agree with Soshi-san that their statements were discomforting because they proved that active casters of maho were about!" He bows deeply to Takara. "I apologize humbly if I implied otherwise. I am certain that a priest of the kami such as yourself knows better than to pay heed to the ignorant words of such ruffians. "

"It's not as though I took offense..." Takara straightened. "It's just... It struck me as an odd thing."

She paused to gather her thoughts, and said. "What little I know of the topic is that blood magic... Involves blood, and curses--they do not invoke flames or embolden allies. This is... Even someone who had been broken by an encounter shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion... What I'm worried about would be a Bloodspeaker who can cajole the kami into compliance--or trick them with their black arts. Such would certainly explain their reaction. And such a foe would be challenging to counter, and capable of a great number of terrible deeds before they fell."

"It's not as though I took offense..." Takara straightened. "It's just... It struck me as an odd thing."

She paused to gather her thoughts, and said. "What little I know of the topic is that blood magic... Involves blood, and curses--they do not invoke flames or embolden allies. This is... Even someone who had been broken by an encounter shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion... What I'm worried about would be a Bloodspeaker who can cajole the kami into compliance--or trick them with their black arts. Such would certainly explain their reaction. And such a foe would be challenging to counter, and capable of a great number of terrible deeds before they fell."

"I'm afraid all I can say is sometimes when a shugenja falls they add maho to their abilities, not that they lose the ability call upon the kami. Stands to reason if some bushi fell, so too did some priests."

"As always, trust in jade."

"I'm afraid all I can say is sometimes when a shugenja falls they add maho to their abilities, not that they lose the ability call upon the kami. Stands to reason if some bushi fell, so too did some priests."

"As always, trust in jade."

Nori looked up from where she was driving in a tent stake and nodded in agreement.

"Jade and steel. The one that burned my former squad didn't seem to like the latter."

Nori looked up from where she was driving in a tent stake and nodded in agreement.

"Jade and steel. The one that burned my former squad didn't seem to like the latter."
"The way of darkness comes with great power and great price." Tendo says with a smile as assists Kenta and Nori with setting up the camp. "But three feet of applied steel is enough for almost any foe."

Turning back to his task, Tendo's thoughts turn inward as he thinks back to the monk Rosoku. "Enlightenment. To think I could have asked him for guidance, and I squandered an opportunity to do so. Few enough achieve it, and yet I wasted my chance even though I was blessed with good fortune. *sigh* Perhaps we will meet again, especially if he has business in Otosan Uchi."

Otori kind of shakes his head at Tamotsu, and looks between him and Yoritomo Rumina. "Well, your wards held well enough, except for Toshi no Omoidoso. The rumors had it... well, apparently a whole fleet of Mantis got turned by the Rain, and they turned and fell on the City of Remembrance fast enough for the wards to fall and the rains to hit that city, too." He looks to Rumina and inclines his head slightly. "I didn't see it myself, so... I can't say for sure, but the rumors are saying that it was Kitao that led the assault." He sighs. "In any case, that's why I'm here. Our clan warehouses in Toshi no Omoidoso burned to the ground, so I figured I would find myself somewhere I could be a bit more useful."

Rumina smiled. A very fixed, very unwavering smile.

"Kitao led it, huh? That'd be Yoritomo Kitao? Her that was Clan Champion? That Kitao? That's what the rumors say? Just curious, Yasuki-san, but these rumors flying around...they coming from the Mantis? They'd just about have to be, I guess, probably not a lot of Phoenix or Yasuki could peg her on sight...well, ain't that..."

She trailed off into silence, her hands clenching into white knuckled fists.

Tamotsu frowned in response, but only in somewhat mild surprise.

"Ahh, yes, I'd heard about the Mant-, excuse me, the Tainted Mantis attack on the City of Remembrance," He said neutrally "I hadn't heard that their leader was Yoritomo Kitao herself, however. It's good to have a name to put to the atrocity."

"Regardless, I'm sure the pirate will face justice soon enough," Tamotsu said with confidence "Their kind always do".

Last edited:

"Jade, steel, and the honor to wield them well," Kintaro agrees affably. "Or the spirits of Jade," he says with a smile and a nod towards Takara.

Rumina smiled. A very fixed, very unwavering smile.

"Kitao led it, huh? That'd be Yoritomo Kitao? Her that was Clan Champion? That Kitao? That's what the rumors say? Just curious, Yasuki-san, but these rumors flying around...they coming from the Mantis? They'd just about have to be, I guess, probably not a lot of Phoenix or Yasuki could peg her on sight...well, ain't that..."

She trailed off into silence, her hands clenching into white knuckled fists.

"At this point, I am afraid that they are coming from everyone, Yoritomo-san." Yasuki Otori says. "Such is the way of rumors." He sighs, and takes a seat by the fire. "I don't know what it's going to do to the trade networks up here, though. The City of Remembrance was the Phoenix's biggest port. Who knows, maybe people will actually start shipping through the ruins of Otosan Uchi again."

"Ahh, yes, I'd heard about the Mant-, excuse me, the Tainted Mantis attack on the City of Remembrance," He said neutrally "I hadn't heard that their leader was Yoritomo Kitao herself, however. It's good to have a name to put to the atrocity."

"Regardless, I'm sure the pirate will face justice soon enough," Tamotsu said with confidence "Their kind always do".

"From your lips to the Kami's ears, Shiba-san." Otori says. "I lost an entire warehouse full of tea. It's nothing when stacked against the lives and souls of your clansmates," he says hastily, "but that I must head back to Crab lands without the indigo that I was expected to bring is truly unfortunate."

"Jade, steel, and the honor to wield them well," Kintaro agrees affably. "Or the spirits of Jade," he says with a smile and a nod towards Takara.

"At this point, I am afraid that they are coming from everyone, Yoritomo-san." Yasuki Otori says. "Such is the way of rumors." He sighs, and takes a seat by the fire. "I don't know what it's going to do to the trade networks up here, though. The City of Remembrance was the Phoenix's biggest port. Who knows, maybe people will actually start shipping through the ruins of Otosan Uchi again."

"From your lips to the Kami's ears, Shiba-san." Otori says. "I lost an entire warehouse full of tea. It's nothing when stacked against the lives and souls of your clansmates," he says hastily, "but that I must head back to Crab lands without the indigo that I was expected to bring is truly unfortunate."

"Oh yeah." Rumina opened her hands, smoothing out imaginary folds in her kimono as she stared into the fire, still smiling.

"Sure everybody's saying it now. I mean, it fits, you know? Yoritomo Kitao, the evil honorless dog that killed old Aramasu, 'course she'd be the one that led the Tainted Mantis. Course she would, her being a evil honorless dog. Not like Champion Kumiko, oh no. Guess it just goes to show how right everybody was that jumped up to stab Kitao in the back when she was our Champion. Heroes of the Empire, every man jack of'em."

She hawked deep in her throat and spat in the fire.

"Miya-dono, seems to me if I was doing this training, I'd send a few Seppun out in the night, make sure everybody was setting watches, might mess with their supplies or something if they weren't, nothing like a empty belly teach folks to be more careful...I'll take the first. See y'all."

And with that she stalked off to find a decent vantage point to watch from.

Last edited:
Rumina's outburst appears to have soured the mood, because the campsite soon falls quiet afterwards, with everyone preparing for their bedrolls or otherwise settling themselves in for the night. Because of your spot in the center of the campgrounds, you are able to see the remaining squads come in one by one - first Eighth and Tenth squad, near the supper bell, then Second Squad, near sundown, with Seventh stumbling in after dark, navigating by torchlight and moonlight.

Despite your precautions, there appear to be no ambushes by the Seppun this night, and the watches pass swiftly.

The next morning dawns clammy, with a light fog covering the hills that will soon burn off as Yakamo rises in the sky. With daybreak comes a horn, a long and mournful sound emanating from the spires of Shiro Yogasha. Miya Masatsuko leads you all back to the castle, where the Seppun are waiting. Whereas before there was merely one lone Guardswoman, today the Seppun are in relatively full force - the bulk of the family are doubtless preparing with the Shogun's armies, but nevertheless there are a goodly number of the warriors of the Empire standing before you.

They are led by a figure in emerald armor, a man clearly of no small importance.

As the various squads slowly fall in, lining up in front of the rear gates to Shiro Yogasha, you note that many of them still appear fatigued from the previous day, with their late arrivals perhaps preventing them from achieving enough rest to make up for the fast marches of the previous day. As the last of you arrive, the miharu in charge speaks up with a firm voice used to conveying orders on the battlefield.

"Attention!" He commands, and the ranks snap to. "I am shireikan Seppun Tasuke. Listen closely, because I will only explain this once. You are here to uphold the honor of the Seppun - and beyond that, to serve in the defense of the Empire. As members of the Sapphire Guard, you will be asked to work with old rivals and to put Clan enmities aside, in defense of the greater good. Even now, the armies of Iuchiban march. We have received word that the Great Carpenter Wall is once again under heavy assault - and, at the same time, that cabals of Bloodspeakers are moving through the Empire to parts unknown. Danger could come from anywhere and anyone, which it is why it is critical," he says emphatically, "that you all learn to function as teams. As such, over the next few days your teamwork will be tested."

He turns to another member of the Seppun behind him, and receives a small bag roughly the size of two clenched fists, which he plunks down on the wooden stage next to him. "Many of you may have noticed that you were given very little in the way of food yesterday in your supplies for camping. This was no mistake. Rokugan is currently undergoing a serious shortage of food that is safe to eat and that has not been ruined by the Rain of Blood. While we have more than enough to feed everyone here for the moment," he says with a dramatic pause, "if you fail in your missions in the field, the army will starve. As such, for the duration of the training, food will only be awarded to those who succeed in the challenges ahead. I realize that some of you may have dried or otherwise preserved foods given to you by your Clans as travel rations - while I will not ask that you surrender such items, I do ask that you refrain from using them during the duration of these challenges. I assure you, you will need that food far more in the days to come."

Two Seppun in the background bring out a large piece of slate, which has been drawn upon in chalk large enough to be visible to you all. On it are the eight mon of the eight great clans, interspersed over what appears to be a rough map of the surrounding area. "In order to test your cooperation, there are eight tests for you all to accomplish, at eight locations to found in the woods nearby. Your knowledge of the laws of Rokugan, provided to you last night, will be tested at every step; similarly, each location will test a necessary skill that corresponds in some way to the specialty of a particular Clan. Success at these challenges - provided that not too many of the other squads have made it to the same location first - will grant you points towards victory, as well as food for the days ahead. But be warned! Your squads will be tested as groups, rather than as individuals. The more of you who pass, the more of you who will receive food, and it will be up to you to decide how to distribute said food."

His gaze searches over you all. "Are there any questions?"

@A Nation's Virtue
@Alectai
@The king Chad
@Mina
@Faintrosity
@LastChronicler

Rumina snorted deep in her throat, eyeing the map this way and that.

"Reckon we better steer clear of Unicorn, Dragon and Crane stuff to start...or maybe not. Depends on what they decided the specialties are."

She tried to keep her voice down enough not to draw the ire of the Seppun, but the way she said "specialties" made the actual phrases "fluttering a fan and being useless" & "sitting on a mountain doing nothing" superfluous if any Dragon or Crane samurai happened to overhear. And if a certain Unicorn ex-shireikan took it as a dig at her Clan too, well, that was fine with the old Courtier.

Last edited:
Back