The Giant of Achaea (Historical SI: With a Bonus)

Chapter Two
So I lied, Have the next chapter early.

Like and Replies are my life source which my muse relies on.

Periander blinked at the incomprehensible gibberish that had come out the big man's mouth. After Zeus's dramatic intervention to Pankratios's desperate plea, Periander would have thought that the gods would have at least made sure their man could speak proper Dorian or at least one of the other Hellene dialects.

Pankratios it seemed, was also less than impressed with the mute that was his supposed salvation for his city and himself if the dour look on his face was any sign. Not that Periander could blame him. Sure the man was big and impressive looking, but if he couldn't speak Greek than he was less than worthless in the long run save for being a slave.

Pankriatos would have started weeping if he'd been alone. He'd given a massive gift to the Oracle of Delphi for her advice and at the time he'd been given what seemed utter gibberish for an answer. But he'd done as the Oracle had commanded and what did he get? This overgrown savage that couldn't even speak Greek. The gods were obviously getting one last laugh in at his expense before his final ruin.

He'd been told to find a rock that looked like a cow and offer his blood to it while begging Zeus for a means to save his city, his life, and that of his remaining kin. He quickly fought down the image of all three of his sons' broken corpses in the wake of the last fight with Dyme. Telamon, his eldest, the golden boy and the pride of his father, strong in body and keen of mind. Ever ready to prove his valor for his city and his father. The twins Heraclide and Telemachus, the former with a voice that could rival Apollo's and Telemachus already showing potential for becoming an auger at such a young age. He'd been talking with the head priest for Olenus's temple to Poseidon to take his youngest boy on as a successor. But now that day would never come and his heart still ached at the memories that refused to go away.

After that catastrophe, both personal for himself and for the city, things had become worse. His brothers, who had helped support his take over of the city from those idiots from the Pericildae clan had died not long after one from illness, the other had gotten overly drunk and had tripped and broken his neck.

Then his nephews had followed, while none of them had quite the spark, at least in his opinion, as his own boys. They had been solid and loyal and could have been relied on to help him rule Olenus. Then they had been snatched away one after the other. The final straw being Xenophon's death when a boulder and rolled from seemingly nowhere and had crushed him. He'd been the first one there after he had been found and the sight of the last of his male kin's death had broken something in the normally stoic man.

He'd grapsed his nephew's hand, the one part of the youth that hadn't been crushed under the boulder and had wept like a child.

The next day he had sent a message to the Oracle of Delphi as what to do. Now that his male kin, save for a few distant cousins in Argos, were all dead many in the city saw him as cursed by the gods and murmurs began floating that maybe the exile of the Periclidae had been the cause of it.

If people were willing to contemplate inviting those bastards back to Dyme after what their leader's son Theophilus, had done, then things were truly becoming dire.

He cared little for his own life, after the death of his sons, brothers, and nephews, much of the fire had gone out of him. But his city was still under threat by Dyme's constant pressure and the looming doom of the return of the Periclidae forced him to continue. There were also his wife and daughters to look out for. His wife, Chara, her name a cruel jest if there ever was one, after her son's death the joyful woman he had married all those years ago was gone, in her place was a weeping wreck, a feminine weakness that he never condemned.

The only thing she still seemed to live for was their remaining daughters, Aglaia, the youngest, a little ray of sunshine, Thaleia, the graceful beauty, and his final heartache, Euphrosyne, her name another cruel jape. She'd been happily married less than a year ago with a child expected. Unfortunately, her husband had been lost at sea on a trading mission, the news had so shocked her that she had lost the child soon after.

Crushed she had been forced leave the home she had just started with her husband and had returned back to her father, to sit in the misery that permeated the house in the wake of the death of her brothers.

True they were mere girls, but dammit all they were his girls and after the loss of his sons, he'd give his life to keep them safe.

If this venture had failed he had made plans to flee the city with all of the remnants of his kin. His cousins in Argos were willing to vouch for him to the rest of the city, for a marriage with one of their young men.

He was hesitant to marry off Euphrosyne again so soon but passing her over to Thaleia would make it seem that she was cursed or damaged goods and he had no desire to do such to his girl, not so soon after what she had gone through.

But looking at this confused bruin, built like a bull and covered in enough body-hair to look like some sort of partially shaved blond bear. Speaking gibberish that could make a Macedonian sound erudite.

The last twist of the knife came when the big man finally realized that he wasn't alone. He'd taken one look at the group staring at him and he'd squeaked like a girl getting spied on bathing and had clamped both of his hands over his groin and scampered behind another stone that had been sitting across the road in a sort of crab-like shuffle to prevent his backside from being exposed to the others. So on top of being an unintelligible barbarian, the stone-born man was also as self-concious as a young girl and felt compelled to hide himself like one.

Sighing Pankratios glanced up to the sky and muttered, "Anything else?" He knew he was being disrespectful, and after such a blatant sign of the gods was likely to see him punished, but at this point what else could they do they hadn't already done.

"Well, seems like that shepherd's words were true. Well met Pankratios, Tyrant of Olenus." A chill went up his spine as he heard an all too familiar voice.

Turning towards the voice, his brows furrowed when he spotted an all too familiar face. "Perseus, a pleasure to see you again." His voice was perfectly even as if he weren't seeing the heir of the Periclidae family. The young man who'd triggered the events that had resulted in his family's expulsion and the rise of Pankratios to becoming Tyrant of the city.

"Polite as ever Pankratios." The young man, armed in full war gear and mounted with several armed hoplites standing alongside him.

The young man pulled out his sword and aimed it under Pankratios's chin, pressing just hard enough to cause a slight trickle of blood to flow down his throat. "You have no idea how long I've dreamed of doing this; ever since you drove our family from our home."

Pankratios, unable to help himself, replied, "Well few men would take kindly to a man raping the daughter of a priest of Poseidon in his own temple, regardless of his noble heritage."

That barb seemed to get under the young man's skin for his face flushed with emotion and he bore his teeth as he snarled, "And I've told you she enticed me. I had no more control over myself than Heracles did under Hera's madness."

"So the gods forced you to rape the virtuous daughter of an upstanding, pious and dedicated priest. Truly it must have been a monstrous crime Hilarion committed to infuriate the gods like that." Pankratios retorted in such a dry tone it could have dried up the Aegean.

"SHUT UP!" Perseus snarled, he pushed his sword harder, forcing Pankratios to back away from the blade. He'd touched a nerve there. Well, Perseus was never known for his calm temper, even if it's a cheap joy, at this point he'd take anything he could get.

"When you stand along the river Styx waiting for Charon, tell the other shades as you wait that it was Perseus who sent you there." The boy said as he drew back his sword.

"They'll wonder when he left the Elysian Fields."

"AAARGH! DIE YOU BASTARD!"

Pankratios closed his eyes, waiting for the death stroke when he heard a clanging sound, followed by the thud of a body hitting the ground after falling from a height.

He cracked one eye open and saw that Perseus was on the ground, insensate with a large dent in the back of his helmet. Looking further away he saw that the giant had thrown the stone as he was in the middle of hurling another at Perseus's companions. Faster than the eye could follow the stone flew from the giant's hands and crashed into the face of one of the hoplites. The force of the impact actually bending the faceguard of the Corinthian style helm into the man's face. He went down without a sound, likely dead before he hit the ground.

The other two men, not lacking for courage, charged the big man in the hope of cutting him down before he could grab another stone.

One of the hoplites reached first and raised his arm for the strike. Faster than a striking snake the stone-born grabbed his attacker's arm and with a slight twist dislocated his arm, sending him to the ground howling in pain.

The other man made to stab with his sword only for the big man to grab his companion's shield by the rim and using it like a bludgeon smashed the final adversary only and over again like a carpenter pounding a protruding peg into its proper hole. Watching the demolition of the hoplites, Pankratios hadn't noticed Perseus was still alive and had vaulted onto his horse to flee his attackers.

"HEY GET BACK HERE YOU BASTARD!" The giant bellowed in his strange tongue and dashed after the galloping horse. To his amazement, the big man not only kept pace with the galloping horse but was gaining on it despite Perseus's more and more frantic urgings.

Right before he was about to pluck the man off his horse, the giant must have stepped on something sharp because he bellowed in pain as he misstepped and was sent tumbling to the ground in pain.

A few moments later Perseus disappeared over the horizon, likely scared out of a year of growth by his encounter with the big man who was currently picking himself up and dusting himself off. He looked at his surroundings one last time before reluctantly trudging back to the farm. His hands covering his groin again as he did so.

Pankratios nodded to himself and reaching into his horse's satchel, he called out the farmer who had been staring utterly stunned at what had transpired. "My apologies for the mess but I have one last task for you if you would be so kind."

Pulling out a bag of 20 drachmas' worth he tossed it to the farmer before mounting up. "See our new friend is dressed and clothed, and start teaching him Greek and proper behavior. I'll be bringing a scribe to polish what you'll give him and teach him his letters later on. Oh and could you deal with the bodies here, you can do with their arms and armor as you like."

The farmer glanced at the either dead or insensate men laying on the ground as well as their arms and armor, then to the second bag of silver. He licked his lips once then quickly grabbed the bag and after nodding he shouted orders to his son and slaves to deal with this mess.

Pankratios nodded once then began walking over to the big man and see if he could relay the new accommodations, food, clothing and shelter he'd procured for him. As he walked he thought out-loud, "...maybe Petros...."

Last edited:
So on top of being an unintelligible barbarian, the stone-born man was also fearful enough to

To what?

That bard seemed to get under the young man's skin

Barb, not bard.

barb1​
bärb/
noun
noun: barb; plural noun: barbs
  1. 1.​
    a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fishhook, or similar item, angled away from the main point so as to make extraction difficult.
    synonyms: spike, prong, spur, thorn, needle, prickle, spine, quill
    "the hook has a nasty barb"
    • a cluster of spikes on barbed wire.
    • a deliberately hurtful remark.
      "his barb hurt more than she cared to admit"

synonyms: insult, sneer, jibe, cutting remark, shaft, slight, brickbat, slur, jeer, taunt; More
      informaldig, put-down;
      abuse, disparagement, scoffing, scorn, sarcasm, goading
      "the barbs from his critics"
  2. 2.​
    a beardlike filament at the mouth of some fish, such as barbel and catfish.
    • each of the fine hairlike filaments growing from the shaft of a feather, forming the vane.
  3. 3.​
    a freshwater fish that typically has barbels around the mouth, popular in aquariums.

To what?

Barb, not bard.

barb1​
bärb/
noun
noun: barb; plural noun: barbs
  1. 1.​
    a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fishhook, or similar item, angled away from the main point so as to make extraction difficult.
    synonyms: spike, prong, spur, thorn, needle, prickle, spine, quill
    "the hook has a nasty barb"
    • a cluster of spikes on barbed wire.
    • a deliberately hurtful remark.
      "his barb hurt more than she cared to admit"

synonyms: insult, sneer, jibe, cutting remark, shaft, slight, brickbat, slur, jeer, taunt; More
      informaldig, put-down;
      abuse, disparagement, scoffing, scorn, sarcasm, goading
      "the barbs from his critics"
  2. 2.​
    a beardlike filament at the mouth of some fish, such as barbel and catfish.
    • each of the fine hairlike filaments growing from the shaft of a feather, forming the vane.
  3. 3.​
    a freshwater fish that typically has barbels around the mouth, popular in aquariums.
Fixed. Thank-you.

He'd been told to find a rock that looked like a cow and offer his blood to it while begging Zeus for a means to save his city, his life, and that of his remaining kin. He quickly fought down the image of all three of his sons' broken corpses in the wake of the last fight with Dyme. Telamon, his eldest, the golden boy and the pride of his father, strong in body and keen of mind. Ever ready to prove his valor for his city and his father. The twins Heraclide and Telemachus, the former with a voice that could rival Apollo's and Telemachus already showing potential for becoming an auger at such a young age. He'd been talking with the head priest for Olenus's temple to Poseidon to take his youngest boy on as a successor. But now that day would never come and his heart still ached at the memories that refused to go away.
Well that explains everything. No wonder Pankratios's life went to shit.

He'd his nephew's hand, the one part of the youth that hadn't been crushed under the boulder and had wept like a child.
He had what his nephew's hand?

So....grammatical gaffs aside, how was the chapter? Did I do the fight scene justice?

Gonna be honest here...kind of meh?

I mean maybe if we had the chapter from the SI perspective it would make more sense but he went from 0 to 100 reall quick and started killing people for...what reason again? Because some dudes were pointing swords at another dude he has no connection to or frankly knows nothing about.

I mean I can understand if he took one of the slave girls or peasants hostage or just looked like a duck but... I'dk this is me assuming SI is just a random dude from our world with 20th century morality and such things.

Secondly the nobles thoughts were a bit odd? And a bit more then disrespectful. Like yeah he should feel a bit disappointed with certain aspects of the SI or atleast view him ad Odd but then again this is the guy who a GOD just beamed down for him. So unless gods perform miracles like this fairly openly and regularly then I'd expect a lot more freaking out...

Gonna be honest here...kind of meh?

I mean maybe if we had the chapter from the SI perspective it would make more sense but he went from 0 to 100 reall quick and started killing people for...what reason again? Because some dudes were pointing swords at another dude he has no connection to or frankly knows nothing about.

I mean I can understand if he took one of the slave girls or peasants hostage or just looked like a duck but... I'dk this is me assuming SI is just a random dude from our world with 20th century morality and such things.

Secondly the nobles thoughts were a bit odd? And a bit more then disrespectful. Like yeah he should feel a bit disappointed with certain aspects of the SI or atleast view him ad Odd but then again this is the guy who a GOD just beamed down for him. So unless gods perform miracles like this fairly openly and regularly then I'd expect a lot more freaking out...

Actually, none of his attacks were meant to kill. If they were dead it was because he didn't know his own strength.

More wondering why the gods made such a huge gesture to give him a mute barbarian. What was he supposed to do with this? He was expecting a sudden turnaround in the next fight or maybe his cousins in Argos coming through with shoring up his position in the city.

Basically "Really impressive, but what the fuck do I do with this?"

But good observations and I thank you for your honesty.

So...a giant man burst from stone when offered blood and promptly displays superhuman strength and speed...

...I can't be the only one making the comparison.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this, but as usual you're SI rather ruins in with his scampering about being silly.

As usual?

Mind elaborating? Not angry just curious.
So you tend to write fairly amateurish stories about a really strong guy hitting stuff, but being incompetent in any social situation.

What annoys me is that each one you've written has a kernel of excellent research quality, and a really good initial point of departure and idea, but these tend to be fairly quickly discarded.

Off the top of my head I can remember two other stories of yours in addition to this firstly, the Mousillion story where you had a suit of Gromril armour, and the French Super King SI, where you punched your way out of the Bastille.

In each story there's an interesting premise, just as with this one, and this one really improved on the narration, possibly because it wasn't from the SI's PoV, but this one as soon as we get to the interesting part you've got your SI scampering about, this time literally because he's naked. The same thing happened in the Mousillion fic. You ran about as Robert Baratheon, braining undead and bashing them with your magic armour, but as soon as the SI met some baron and his daughter you forgot all social niceties.

So you tend to write fairly amateurish stories about a really strong guy hitting stuff, but being incompetent in any social situation.

What annoys me is that each one you've written has a kernel of excellent research quality, and a really good initial point of departure and idea, but these tend to be fairly quickly discarded.

Off the top of my head I can remember two other stories of yours in addition to this firstly, the Mousillion story where you had a suit of Gromril armour, and the French Super King SI, where you punched your way out of the Bastille.

In each story there's an interesting premise, just as with this one, and this one really improved on the narration, possibly because it wasn't from the SI's PoV, but this one as soon as we get to the interesting part you've got your SI scampering about, this time literally because he's naked. The same thing happened in the Mousillion fic. You ran about as Robert Baratheon, braining undead and bashing them with your magic armour, but as soon as the SI met some baron and his daughter you forgot all social niceties.

Fair enough complaint. I never plan to write serious stories when I make these. Most times I just get random ideas to have someone fuck around in a specific time period. It's kind of one reason why these stories can die like they do.

They're kind of the literary equivalent of a game of Saints Row. But I understand why you might not care for such.

If you want a more serious story I made. Might try 'Like Gaston', or 'Land of the Dead' they're both still over the top but the core idea ISN'T just fucking around.

Rebooting the Greek SI Concept.
I realize that I really shouldn't update this but I didn't want to make a thread until I had a chapter ready and I wanted to get people's thoughts.

If anyone remembers this story I am planning to reboot it in a few days after I do a little more research.

This time I am planning on changing both the time and the location as well as changing what the SI looks like.

This Time He appears in the Phocis region of Greece in the winter of 353 B.C., during the middle of the Third Sacred War and not long after the Battle of Crocus Field.

As for what he looks like, well

None of the Gear or years of experience but Heaven to Mergatroid is he strong.

AND he's wearing pants.

Another thing to note is that I'm planning on him being physically 20 at the start, meaning he's in his thirties during Alexander's Conquests and 50 when the little conqueror croaks. That might be fun.

Any idea what the Greeks and Macedonians of the time would make of a 7'6.5" (230 cm) behemoth like Throkell?

So I've got about 1000 words done but I'm probably only half-way through. I know @Telamon and @Cetashwayo are pretty familiar with the time period but if anyone else would be willing to volunteer, I just need someone who'll do a "No that isn't how that worked." You don't have to proofread you just need to take a quick glance and tell me if I'm doing something grossly unhistorical.

Found this thing and hope you update soon and why didn't the god give so the ability to talk and read the language of this time

Back