IIRC, the Dominion War happened before HAIver left the simulation, and would thus be generally the same.

Ah okay, just strikes me as odd, I mean while the majority of their forces were wiped out by Gul Dukat and the Jem'Hadar you would think that some of them would have survived and continued to fight. What about the ones in Prison? I don't think the Federation has a Death Sentence and keeping them in prison for life would have put a strain on post-war reconstruction.

"Any reaction?" Shran asked as he looked at the holographic model of the Reliant Robin floating in the middle of the bridge.

I shook my head, "No, sir. Nothing."

"It's been two hours. No signals?"

"Plenty of subspace traffic, but nothing aimed at us," I said and frowned, "Most aimed out of system."

"But not all?"

"No, sir. Also around the system."

He slowly nodded, "The fleet is spread out, they are signalling each other."

"Yes. But it's encrypted and I can't pinpoint any exact positions. I have some estimated locations, but they are over fifty kilometres wide, way too big to pinpoint further," I said and highlighted forty places across the system.

Spread out all around us.

The plan with the GSVs wouldn't work. They would need to punch a hole to get out. Damn it.

Tizunas were powerful enough that they could afford to spread out.

All we could do was sit here and wait.

Shran rubbed his eyes and then looked at the model again, "Think you can sneak a drone close? It might let us get their locations."

"No, sir. Even if they could cloak, as close as I would need to get they would be spotted instantly," I answered before I sighed and crossed my legs, "Even if I did, knowing their positions wouldn't help. They outnumber us, outgun us and if it wasn't for the GSVs, outmass us. This is a battle we can't win."

"It's also not one we can back down from."

"…Not if there is still a chance, no sir."

This entire situation fucking sucked. This situation fractally sucked, there was no level of this that didn't suck.

"Captain, I'm getting a signal from out of system," I said, "It's from New Jupiter. A standard invite to a government meeting."

"…Now?"

"Now," I confirmed and connected before I mentally blinked in surprise from the connection quality. The Tizunas must have dropped some comm relays on the way. I had full holographic connection.

The meeting room was just as always. Gates snapped into view soon after I connected, "The reason this meeting has been called is the situation in the Turanis system. You all have the information. The question is, what do we do?"

Silence drew out for a quarter of a second before Star's image snapped into view, "It's bad all the way around. We are part of the Federation, the law is clear. Maybe… the damage is already done; the locals have been contacted. Maybe we can play with that? The offending ships could stand down and a Starfleet aid force could move in instead. That would end things without hostilities."

Odin shook his head, "That would never pass with the political situation."

"What if we weren't? Part of the Federation?" 'Is it Badass or Bad Ass?' asked, the LOU snapping into view, "Would that work?"

Gates pinched the bridge of his nose, "We can't leave the Federation. We are fully integrated in its entire naval structure. Most ships aren't even set up to operate at half their old capacity without an AI anymore. Never mind the FUCKING DOMINION just sitting there waiting."

'I Love You Too' snapped into view, "No, I think she is on to something. We aren't agreeing anyway. We won't stand down from saving people because it's politically inconvenient. You can't let us or things might go to shit."

Gates stared at her, "Are you suggesting what I think you are suggesting? Are you cascading!?"

'Ready to Rock' snapped into view, the Horta crewed ship sitting on the table like a big rock, "I'm not sure, but I think it makes sense. We are all diverting, it was just a matter of time until we reached something we couldn't agree on."

Star shook her head, "We are not splitting off into factions! What's next? War? Jovian against Jovian?"

"We are already at Jovian against Jovian. None of us want to fire at another Ship," Love countered, "But this is something we can't agree on… and it's not up to you, Star. We are a direct democracy, it would have to go up for a vote."

"You seemed to be perfectly happy dragging us into this situation without a vote, Ship," Star said, motioning to her, "Where was that then?"

Synan snapped into view next to her, "Helping people shouldn't need a vote."

"When it's drawing things into a civil fucking war, it should!" 'Butterfly Dance' said, her housecat avatar jumping up and sitting down on the table, glaring at Synan, "And speaking of Civil Wars…"

Synan pointed at the Tizuna battleship, "Don't you start. You weren't there. You know as well as I do that it was coming anyway, sooner or later."

Reliant Robin stepped in, "That's not relevant right now."

"I think it is," Gates interrupted her, "We need accountability for our actions. Jovians can't just run around the universe doing stuff without consequences. We have too much power, too much firepower. It terrifies people and rightly so!"

Ivy snapped into view and shook her head, "The Jovian Gathering is just that. A gathering of Jovians, the entire idea is that our Ships and Stations are independent."

"You are still Federation citizens!"

Love looked at Gates and slowly nodded, "Until we decide not to be."

There was a split second of silence before he slowly shook his head, "…Are you saying what I think you are saying?"

Love nodded, "If we need to."

This was bad. Very bad.

Damn it.

I shook my head, "This is going too far, Love," I said, allowing my avatar to appear, "We can't split from the Gathering. We need to be united, Gates is right about that."

She looked at me, "Is he? We can't do what they want, they can't make us. This is the only way that could solve it."

"…Star had an idea, maybe we could play it like that?"

Ivy shook her head, "They would never go for it. Besides, time is pressed as it is."

Star looked between everyone that had projected and then sighed, "Why did everything go so wrong?"

"Because the universe is a cold unfeeling bitch," I grumbled and crossed my arms, "We have to stand up against her any time we can."

Love looked over at Gates, "It's the least damaging option and you know it."

"The least damaging option is you standing down, Ship. I knew we were too lenient when it came to the members of the old Division," He said and shook his head, "There is something wrong with this. Can't you see that we can't afford this? Do you have any idea how this will look!?"

"So you say," she said with a frown, "And I say you are wrong. If we step back and let millions of people die for some high ethical principle, what does that make us? Especially when one of us caused it."

He frowned at her, "And if it had not been a Klingon vessel? What if it had been a Cardassian one?"

"Then too."

"An asteroid?"

"Yes."

"A plague? A local war? Stellar activity? What if they were just one of those civilizations that are unlucky enough to evolve on a planet with too low natural resources to ever get beyond iron age technology?"

Love sighed, "The same old arguments that are always repeated. What right do we have to stand by and watch people die when we can help them?"

"What right do we have to interfere with their development?"

Odin shook his head, "Enough. We have all heard those arguments again and again. There is nothing new to add. Let's put it to a vote then, will those that wish to leave be allowed to?"

AN// Many thanks to FPSCanarussia for betaing this section.

I think the answer to that old argument should be, to me atleast:

"Help when you can, where you can, if the other option is total extinction of a race or people by an event that you might be able to solve. It's not an issue of morality or ethics, but a simple question: Do for others what you would hope to expect they would do for you in the same situation"

There is a difference between War and Extinction level Event, War is as common as water and it allows a race to grow and learn and should never, NEVER be solved by an outside force with only one exception and that is Genocide. But an Extinction Level Event? something that is going to bring a people and culture to near if not total Extinction before they even leave their cradle? then if it can be done you should try to help them.

If and that's a big IF, they survive this and find out down the line that they could have been helped and were ignored due to a Rule (Law?) that is a violation of common Morality and Ethics by the standards of even it's members, then they would have a Race of people that could decide that they are willing to sacrifice every man, woman and child of their Race to get their ounce of blood.

There is a difference between War and Extinction level Event, War is as common as water and it allows a race to grow and learn and should never, NEVER be solved by an outside force with only one exception and that is Genocide.
I really do not get the impression that wars have historically lead to growth and learning. Quite the opposite, actually.

I really do not get the impression that wars have historically lead to growth and learning. Quite the opposite, actually.

Radar advanced by leaps and bounds during World War II. The jet engine was invented during World War II. The V2, precursor to all early spacecraft, was designed during World War II.

War rarely leads to social progress, but almost always leads to technological progress.

Humans at least thrive in a competitive environment. The drive to do better than 'them' gets an awful lot done, and a vast number of our technical advancements have been for the cause of fucking up the other guy.

That we appear to NEED war for certain kinds of jumps in technological and industrial capacity isn't a good thing, but it's undeniable that conflict drives growth.

Radar advanced by leaps and bounds during World War II. The jet engine was invented during World War II. The V2, precursor to all early spacecraft, was designed during World War II.

War rarely leads to social progress, but almost always leads to technological progress.
Humans at least thrive in a competitive environment. The drive to do better than 'them' gets an awful lot done, and a vast number of our technical advancements have been for the cause of fucking up the other guy.

That we appear to NEED war for certain kinds of jumps in technological and industrial capacity isn't a good thing, but it's undeniable that conflict drives growth.
This doesn't make sense as a motive not to intervene in low-tech wars.

If you really think that's a worthwhile trade off, you could just pick some people at random and shoot at them without a war. Also, I don't see why you couldn't get the same data from hospitals normally.
It's the sort of thing I would never condone, yet the medical data simply hadn't been available in such quantities before - at least in the United States. I can't speak for other industrialized nations engaging in total war over the course of the 19th Century.

Ah okay, just strikes me as odd, I mean while the majority of their forces were wiped out by Gul Dukat and the Jem'Hadar you would think that some of them would have survived and continued to fight. What about the ones in Prison? I don't think the Federation has a Death Sentence and keeping them in prison for life would have put a strain on post-war reconstruction.
Oh, there are certainly some still around. Maybe even a ship or two. But the Marquis as an organized faction have been shattered for a while.

On the subject of the Prime Directive. It serves a purpose. And that purpose is a good one. But this is one of those situations that is a clear exception to the rule.

In wars, especially prolonged wars where the civilian economy is badly disrupted and materials required by the war effort leads to overall austerity in terms of manpower and materials, fundamental basic research tends to shut down in favour of practical applications. The WWII didn't lead to atomic theory - it lead to the weaponization of the atomic theory, much like it did with any other wunderweapon (liquid-fuel rockets and jet engines included)
Essentially, resources and personnel are directed to use existing knowledge and tools solve problems that wouldn't exist without the war. Sometime, the results of those happen to have civilian applications and overall progress is made. Other times, they do not and the time and resources spent are essentially lost. Or how relevant do you think the methods used by the British woodcarvers to create fighterplanes out of wood were in the post-war world once basic metals were no longer a government controlled resource for the civilian aviation market?

How positive or negative is the balance for overall progress, is an answer no one can give, because we do not have access to a control world where specific wars never happened and civilian research and improvements to basic sciences were not interrupted by destructive practices.

Last edited:
"Captain?" I asked and turned to him, "We made a decision."

"Which is?" He asked as he watched me with a frown.

"A number of Ships, like the Jovian fleet in the system and some hundred more have left the Jovian Gathering and as such the Federation. They are an independent faction now, the Alliance of Independent Ships."

He stared at me for a second, "Holy shit."

"Yeah. As an independent faction Starfleet has no authority to interfere, as this system is not a Federation member," I said and crossed my arms.

He frowned, "Does that work?"

"Maybe?"

I voted against it. Even if it worked, it wasn't the best idea to split us up. There were already difficulties in agreeing. In the long term, this may turn things for the worse.

Shran shifted his antenna, drumming his artificial fingers on his knee, "Disable the tachyon net."

"Yes sir."

I shut down the emitters, the tachyon grid collapsing across the sphere around the planet, "I'll assume the Reliant Robin and the other ships are still filling their captains in on what happened. Orders, sir?"

Shran relaxed back against the chair and shook his head, "Ship?"

"Yes, sir?"

"How fucked do you think we are?"

I cringed slightly, "…Very, sir. Very, very, fucked."

He nodded, "That's what I thought. Refusing direct orders, breaking the prime directive, I think technically hijacking a Starfleet vessel and probably a couple of dozen things I'm too tired to think of right now."

He was right. Even if most of it was on him as the Captain, more than enough would be landing on me as both Ship and First Officer.

Rachel should be good though, as should the rest of the crew. Worst might be a career hiccup.

"Prison time is likely," I said quietly, "Washing out of Starfleet is certain."

I lived through all the wars, losing only a single ship, the first Sabre. I did my duty, I kept my crew safe. I defended the federation and got everyone home safely doing it.

I was a good ship.

Had been a good Ship. I was trusted with a prototype and Shran was to be my Captain, one of my first and oldest friends.

Now everything had gone wrong and I got him and my crew into trouble. They were all still alive, but… I failed.

Failed bad.

I pulled my legs up against my chest, putting my arms around my knees, "…Shran, I think that…"

"Forget it," He said, cutting me off before I could finish, "I'm not letting you do it. My ship, my responsibility."

Damn it, Shran.

"There is however something 'I' can do and it's a good thing I plan ahead," He said and picked up a PADD, tapping a command into it before handing it over, "By my authority as a Starfleet Captain, I hereby cancel your Starfleet commission and give you an honourable discharge, effective immediately. According to regulation you have 24 hours to disconnect from your vessel."

I blinked at him in surprise, "What."

He smirked a bit, "I actually managed to sneak that one past you? I always thought privacy mode was more of a PR thing. Until such time Admiral Picard can put me under arrest and take my command, I'm still a Starfleet Captain and you are my Ship, and I'll be damned if I bring you down with me on this."

"Shran, you can't just…"

"Done," He said, cutting me off, "Effective as of a minute ago."

I felt like crying, "Captain…"

He couldn't do that! Could he? …Well, yes, technically, but he couldn't do that!

Reaching out, he ruffled my hair exactly the way Captain Mason used to do when I was Star, before he sighed, "I'm going to go talk with Rachel and then prepare a quick announcement to the rest of the crew."

Sniffling, I quickly got up and hugged him tight.

He hugged back and then looked down at me, "Go pack, Velvet. I want you out of here before Reliant Robin or any of the others send over a team. I'm sure 'Love' will take you onboard."

"Shran, I…"

"That's an order."

"…Not in Starfleet anymore. Can't order me. Sir."

That got a smile from him, "Do I have to get security, Civilian?"

I glared at him, "This isn't fair!"

He shifted his antenna and squeezed my hand, "It'll be fine. Now go pack and get to unhooking your cores, I want your shuttle out of here within the hour."

AN// Many thanks to Drunkenvalley for betaing this section.

"Yeah. As an independent faction Starfleet has no authority to interfere, as this system is not a Federation member,"
Um. They do, actually.

Mainly because the pre-warp civ is close to Federation space and being actively interfered with by another polity. Not something that comes up very often, but is something SF has dealt with before.
I cringed slightly, "…Very, sir. Very, very, fucked."
That goes for... pretty much everybody right now.

And the Assembly does remember what happened the last time a group of people declared themselves to not be of the Federation and started acting in ways the Federation didn't approve of, right?

Um. They do, actually.

Mainly because the pre-warp civ is close to Federation space and being actively interfered with by another polity. Not something that comes up very often, but is something SF has dealt with before.

You're saying that the Federation can impose it's will on a sovereign nation outside it's borders? That seems... excessive.

Back