The Dragonborn Comes and Goes (Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SI)

Crossposting to drum up more responses. Trying to puzzle out some distances. At a leisurely walking pace, it took my character roughly nine minutes to get to Riverwood from Helgen's secret exit.

Bearing in mind that Skyrim the province is fuckhueg, by what multiple should I increase the time/distance covered so the two towns aren't literally rubbing shoulders? Need a good multiple I can expand the whole province by so I can make somewhat accurate, non-gamey travel times.

A friend suggested making every minute an hour of travel time, but that seems to clash with Hadvar's/Ralof's claim of Riverwood being "not far." Also, the group would be marching, so if a casual walking speed is 1.0, theirs would be more of a 1.3-1.4.

Any thoughts on this, nerds?
The term "not far" is inherently fluid and mailable. "Not far" to one could be "very far" to another. I'd imagine Riverwood would be a day or two walk from Helgen. Sounds like a lot, but put it into perspective; the distance between Whiterun and, say Markarth would probably be a couple weeks.

It would probably exist as a sort of waystop for trade caravans going between Helgan and Whiterun.

Crossposting to drum up more responses. Trying to puzzle out some distances. At a leisurely walking pace, it took my character roughly nine minutes to get to Riverwood from Helgen's secret exit.

Bearing in mind that Skyrim the province is fuckhueg, by what multiple should I increase the time/distance covered so the two towns aren't literally rubbing shoulders? Need a good multiple I can expand the whole province by so I can make somewhat accurate, non-gamey travel times.

A friend suggested making every minute an hour of travel time, but that seems to clash with Hadvar's/Ralof's claim of Riverwood being "not far." Also, the group would be marching, so if a casual walking speed is 1.0, theirs would be more of a 1.3-1.4.

Any thoughts on this, nerds?
Concerning distances between settlements Helgen would be about a days ride (25-40km) from Whiterun and Bruma. Riverwood would be around halfway between Helgen and Whiterun (10-20km).
2-4 hours walk. Maybe longer depending on weather, terrain and wildlife.

Edit: Link to where I got the exact distances.

Last edited:
This is a good story. I'm glad though that you missed the room full of enemies, and petrol, in the next room. Though the petrol would likely have come in handy.

Chapter 3
Chapter 3

At my mumbled direction, the group watched in hushed silence from the cover of the cave's exit as Alduin flew overhead, announcing his presence to what felt like all of Skyrim with another roar before disappearing into the distance over the recognizable arches of Bleak Falls Barrow. He'd originally come to Helgen to kill the Dragonborn. I could only hope he assumed he'd gotten him in the confusion.

'Him' meaning me. I mean, all the signs fit. I was the only other one in the wagon with Ralof, Ulfric, and Lokir. I was the second one on the chopping block. And it might have been a trick of the mind, but I could have sworn that Alduin made eye contact with me, out of all the mortals arrayed before him.

If it wasn't me… Well, I was ripe for a little embarrassment. And a fetch quest, to find the real Dragonborn. And there had to be one. If there wasn't, we were all so fucked.

Not worth thinking about.

Ugh. I was still kicking myself over the spiders. I'd never shrieked in terror like that. Not in living memory, anyway.

Then again, I had never encountered horse-sized man-eating spiders before. Better reason to shriek like a little girl, I could not think of right now. Accordingly, my pride as a man was in tatters.

For a good while, I had often loudly proclaimed that pride was a useless social construct. Just led to men killing each other over insults, or making suboptimal decisions usually resulting in violence or burned bridges cuz their 'fee-fees' were hurt. After some talking with my counselor, however, I had been convinced of the necessity of building a sense of self-worth, and pride as a person was a part of that.

I'd been trying. Occasionally. And failing. Always. But the trying was important, I'd been told. The downside of having pride was being able to feel it and needing to care when it was damaged. Such is life.

Pity party over.

Now...

Now that the dragon was gone, our liberation was at hand, and no imminent threats awaited us.

We were free. I was free. The whole of Skyrim, Tamriel, stretched out before me, and all of a sudden I felt very small. I needed a sit-down. So I brushed the snow off of a nearby rock and got me my sit-down. I removed my helmet and set it beside me, giving it a little pat. Everyone else decided to do the same, causing a chorus of relieved groans and the clinking and clanking of readjusting armor.

Me, my palm came up to rest against my temple, where the skin had been split and blood had long since crusted over.

The Dragonborn had started the game knowing two spells. Flames...and Healing. And if they did...

Focus.

A soft golden glow emanated from my hand and seeped into the wound, warm and soothing. My eyes fluttered shut of their own accord as I basked in the, pardon the pun, magical feeling. I imagined the flesh knitting together, cells multiplying and blood being replenished. With my other hand, I conjured fire into a fistful of snow and used it to wash away the dried blood. Probing the site of the injury, I was met with unbroken skin and a slight bump, which made me think that I might have a new scar. And at long last, my shield-induced concussion-induced headache began to fade in a wave of wellness.

A healing spell. An actual healing spell. I was doing magic. I was doing magic. And it was easy. I didn't remember learning how, but there it was, floating around in my head. Knowledge of the schools of Restoration and Destruction. Another point of evidence in favor of me being the prophesied 'chosen one.' Another mystery to be laid at the feet of whatever sent me here.

Privately, I blamed the Mad God, but I wasn't stupid enough to go pointing fingers or invoking daedra by name in curses out loud. That could only end with me being smited, turned into an inside out turducken or some shit. Which would make me a...duchickey.

That wasn't important. I couldn't waste time obsessing over the past. I needed to think on my future.

My future…

Now there was a thought to think about.

For the first time in my young life… I had no obligations. There was nowhere I needed to be. No internet or social media to squander my days on. No formations to attend, no accountability to pass up the chain of command. No friends, family, or loved ones to have or to hold, true, but also no loved ones I needed to appease or take care of or force myself to call without being prompted. I had nothing but what I carried. I was alone in this world, unbound by any attachments. I could go wherever I wanted, do whatever I wanted, so long as I had the strength and will to do it.

Naturally, this freedom was an illusion. Mostly.

Alduin had returned, busy even now awakening his fallen kin and feeding on the souls of the dead, plotting to bring about the end of the world.

Across the continent, the Thalmor were slowly choking the life and spirit out of the races of men and mer alike, and also plotting to bring about the end of the world.

From his dreary castle in the frigid northwestern sea, Harkon, lord of the Volkihar vampire strain, sought to put out the sun itself and unleash a curse of darkness unending upon the world, and enslave all warm-blooded beings as so much cattle.

From his prison in the eldritch depths of Apocrypha, Miraak, the First Dragonborn wove his spells to escape the clutches of his daedric master, enthrall the people of Solstheim, and from there, the world.

Really, that was a one too many threats to the stability and well-being of the world. Someone should do something about all of that.

And it was looking like that someone was me. Has to be me. Someone else might get it wrong.

I had no choice but to take action. I couldn't afford not to. The real questions were how, and when?

Skyrim had been a game. The very nature of it meant that the script waited on you, the player. You could spend actual months to years on the outside traipsing the length and breadth of the province, chasing butterflies and solving everyone's problems everywhere without ever touching the main quest line, and you could come back to it any point. In a living, breathing world, this couldn't possibly be the case. I couldn't put it off.

I needed to become strong enough to fight all of those threats. And everything that lay between me and them. Only once that was done would I be free to choose the course my life took. Whatever that may be.

That said... there was no reason I couldn't get some help along the way.

Ideas were coming together, people I could aid and recruit, assets I could make use of, secrets I could whisper into the right ears, but concrete plans would have to wait. This group was my link to the warring factions.

I looked at them. Three Stormcloak rebels and an Imperial soldier putting aside their enmity in the face of a greater threat. A microcosm of what might yet be. It would require no small amount of effort to enact on a wider scale. It might be futile. The grudges might run too deep. But I had to try.

It was important to try.

They needed to hear what I had to say. How to say it, though?

"So...we made it," I said at last, my face neutral. "We're free."

A tenseness in the shoulders of the soldiers began to loosen. Relieved smiles began to grow on all sides.

I looked at Hadvar and Ralof. "The question now becomes… what happens next?"

They must have seen something in my expression, as their gazes focused.

Hadvar started. "I've got family in Riverwood, a town not far from here… and so does Ralof. I had planned on staying the night with them to rest up for a bit, before linking back up with the Legion in Solitude."

The other Nord nodded. "Aye, and I had similar thoughts, but with me and mine to Windhelm. We've managed to scrounge enough gold to put the others up in the village's inn for the night."

I hummed agreeably. "That sounds like it will work for now. And after?"

They seemed uncomfortable. "After… Well… I suppose we go back to trying to kill one other," said Ralof.

"We've made our decisions, and we have our orders," affirmed Hadvar, glaring at his old friend. "Everything that needed to be said between us, has been. This was only ever a temporary truce."

Of course it had been. There was undoubtedly history between these two. I wondered if Helgen was the first time they'd met after the war began, or if this was only the latest in a series of bitter encounters. Questions I'd wanted to ask in the game, but only now had the ability to. If we all got a chance to settle down, I'd try to get the story.

Though we'd have to see if their gung-ho attitudes lasted once I dropped this bomb.

"Gentlemen. And lady," I tapped a spot right below my eye. "Look at my face. See this face? This is my serious face. This is as serious as you're ever going to see me. So I hope you're listening closely."

Perked up wasn't quite the right phrase for it, but given what I'd pulled off so far, it was relieving to see them actually pay attention.

"Whatever happens from this point onward… Wherever you go, whoever wins the war… It--is--vital that you inform your respective commanders of what I am about to tell you. This concerns both sides. It concerns all Nords, and all those who hope to pass into Sovngarde."

Cautious nodding all around. Good sign. They were taking this seriously.

I stabbed a finger in the direction the dragon had flown. "Like I said earlier...that dragon was Alduin the World-Eater. The very same one from legend. Firstborn son of Akatosh. His greatest creation. He and the dragons that served him once ruled the world and enslaved the mortal races, and now that he's free, he's gonna have another go at it. Right now, he is searching for the burial mounds of slain dragons. He will resurrect them, and set them loose to subjugate the people of Tamriel once more. Now, that's bad enough on its own."

But wait, there's more!

I swallowed, scarcely able to imagine the reactions of these native Nordic sons. And daughter.

"What's worse is… Alduin has a link to Sovngarde. He can… travel to the afterlife and back again. And if the urge strikes him, he can devour the souls of the dead for power, or to recover from injury. So every warrior that dies a heroic death, on both sides of this war... is just another soul doomed to be eaten by an evil dragon god."

The looks of dismay and horror, the disbelief, the shocked reaction of 'This… this is just a joke, right?' that my words sparked… those truly did transcend culture.

"I know, I know I have no proof. Nothing but my own word. And that won't be enough for your leaders, I'm sure. But… Knowing the things I do, I, I can't just keep silent. I didn't do my best to keep you all alive for the sake of my own skin, but for the skin of Skyrim."

I paused. Words. They meant things.

"Y-You know what I mean. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this for all of us. What good is a seer that doesn't try to make a damn difference with his knowledge?"

Hadvar and Ralof shared matching looks of bewildered alarm. This was primarily intended for those two. The others could believe or disbelieve as they wished. I couldn't expect anyone to trust me without proof. But I liked to think I'd flexed my foreknowledge in demonstration enough already.

"That is…" Hadvar swallowed, struggling to find the words. "Hard to believe… Putting it lightly."

"Hard to believe?" scoffed Froda. "More like impossible! That's impossible! He has to be lying!"

If only, lady.

"I wish I was," I said quietly. "But I'm not."

Just as the Nord woman seemed to fill her lungs for another angry denial, Ralof lifted his arm, and she held her tongue. The man was staring at nothing, lost deep in thought.

Lot to process, I know, sorry for the inconvenience.

"Ralof, you can't possibly believe this ma- n," Hjoing said uneasily, barely holding off from saying a rather rude word that began with 'mad' and ended with 'man.' "I will admit that he's been right about everything so far… but... for something as big as this…"

These reactions were to be expected. And mitigated.

I shook my head somberly. "It doesn't matter that you don't believe it. It's happening all the same. And until Alduin is slain, it's going to keep happening. All I ask is that you tell your leaders what this crazy seer is telling you. Who knows, maybe they can find a way to verify it for themselves." Doubtful. "Might be enough to bring Tullius and Ulfric to the same table without more killing. That's all I want. I have no motive in this beyond saving Skyrim." And to live my life without four different flavors of apocalypse hanging over my head, but that went without saying.

Silence fell for several long moments as the warriors mulled over my words, and I waited with bated breath.

Eventually, Ralof seemed to come to a decision.

"After everything I have seen you do, and with your predictions having all come true, I am… disinclined to disbelieve you out of hand." The blond Nord shook his head. "I don't want to...but for some reason, I can't help but believe you. So, I will tell Jarl Ulfric what you have told me. After all, you've saved the lives of my men." His lips quirked up into a smile. "It's the very least I can do to repay that debt."

His Imperial counterpart answered likewise. "Going off of what I've seen, I'm also willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. You've earned that much goodwill, at least. I'll pass on your message, though I must warn you, General Tullius is, er, not a man prone to putting much stock in legends." Hadvar paused. "Well. Before today he was. Now he might be considerably more open-minded."

Hjoing chortled at that for a bit, before immediately flattening his expression into something disapproving. It's okay to laugh, Legionnaires can tell jokes too, I wanted to tell him.

I slumped slightly on my rock. I was rather surprised it had taken this long to drain my social batteries. "Thank you. The both of you. That means a lot to me."

A huge load off my conscience. Having other people at least considering the possibility could only be a good thing. Hopefully, this would bring down the amount of mass death in the province. No need to give Alduin a bigger snack/powerup for the final battle.

Also, it'd take a great deal more callousness than I possessed to just ignore the civil war.

Seeing as everyone seemed somewhat recovered, I stood and put my helmet back on.

"We should keep moving. I could really go for a drink and a bed. Tired of thinking."

"I understand," said Ralof, stepping up to clap a brotherly hand on my shoulder. "We've all been through a lot. Some rest would do us all some good."

To his subordinates, he said, "Tighten those boots, check your gear. It's an eight hour march to Riverwood. We'll want to get there before nightfall, no telling what might come out after dark."

Eight hours? Eight hours? After all that shit?! Really?! I got that the distances were much further, but still! Fuck me, man!

Wait, what was I bitching about? I knew healing spells. And I wasn't carrying a quarter of my bodyweight in my pack for this one. Hell, this'd be a cakewalk in comparison to my marches the Corps!

Hadvar sidled up beside me. "Any, uh, last minute predictions before the road?"

Froda and Hjoing suddenly looked very worried. Fun as it was to see it, I waved them off.

"Nothing vital. Though…" I rubbed my chin thoughtfully. "We might wanna be on the lookout for wolves. And if I'm not mistaken, some bandits have taken up residence in Embershard Mine. They might try something, I don't know."

Taking a deep breath of that fresh, clean Skyrim air, I smiled tiredly as we set off.

"Oh yeah, by the way. Dibs on the Warrior Stone."

"What is… dibs?"

I liked the line at the end about the warrior stone. Not enough people trust in the strength of their arms!

And I'm excited to see what reactions his warnings of Alduin's presence in sovngarde will cause.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to a heavily armored mage healing his way to victory over the worst that Skyrim can throw at him.

I'm looking forward to a heavily armored mage healing his way to victory over the worst that Skyrim can throw at him.
Also expect a bit of the old "summon a few things, turn invisible, and cause your enemies to fight each other while you don't get hit" tactic...

Or he can do something literally every SI decided to avoid: become a stealth archer. At this point, that counts as original!

In game stealth archer is the one that make most sense especially if you are playing on higher difficulty settings. Though I dont know how much the game aı is at fault for going around with 3 diffrent arrows on his head and saying must have been the wind. Anyway thanks for the chapter and I really wonder how much time you have and what can you do diffrently with your powers. As I doubt you can just become mastersmith by hammering 10000 iron daggers. Also wonder if racial bonus is really a thing and if you are a nord.

Bad idea. Literally the worst choice.
Mage would be slightly better.
Thief is best option period.
So why Warrior? I'm honestly curious.
Because I'm big, strong, and knowing how to sword good in the short term will keep me alive in the long term. Multiclass once you've got a solid foundation, not before.

Stealth Archer is obviously the only class one can have in any Elder Scrolls game, regardless how one starts out.
This is so very, very true.

I can't count the number of games I've started saying, "This time I'm going to go two-handed warrior, or warrior-mage, or straight mage" and a few hours later, I'm sneaking around putting arrows into everything.

Well, stealth-archer-enchanter-blacksmith because ain't nobody else in Skyrim going to make you a bow out of dragonbone and then enchant it so that it's on lightning-fire.

Bleep bloop. Watched.

Your dragonborn's aspiring desire to ensure the dragons get got whilst steamrolling through the game is wonderful.
I'm distinctly reminded of the 'Whitest Man in Skyrim' fanfiction that featured a similar character. Though, your character did mention the Dark Brotherhood, which weren't mentioned in the other story.

I hope, nay, pray that I spy at least a single reference to that mod that turned dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine characters, however.
Good tidings, friend ahead.

Nice, a SI actually focused on saving Nirn from the Thalmor scum instead of getting stuck in Empire Vs. Skyrim mode. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Now I'm really curious why the CHIM doesn't work. May be you have to accept that you are part of the Godhead's mind and do some enlightenment shit to achieve it?

First three chapters' pretty nice. Now let see if the story gets dropped after chapter 5 like 99% of all the other Elder Scrolls fanfic out there...

Last edited:
Now I'm really curious why the CHIM doesn't work. May you have to accept that you are part of the Godhead's mind and do some enlightenment shit to achieve it?

First three chapters' pretty nice. Now let see if the story gets dropped after chapter 5 like 99% of all the other Elder Scrolls fanfic out there...
He might just be ignoring that part of lore entirely. It is questionable accurate outside of Morrowind, and like a lot of things may have been retconned.

Chapter 4
Chapter 4

"Tired?"

"WASn't. Sleeping."

I wasn't now, anyway.

Geh. I'd almost nodded off into my stew. My hand came up to slap limply against my face and drag down over my scraggly beard. A snort and a shake of the head followed.

A tall blonde Nord woman (Did Nords come in any flavor other than tall and blonde? Dumb question, of course they did.) was leaning against the wooden beam next to my table, an amused smirk on her face. She was rather attractive, if definitely middle aged, with those stress lines around her eyes.

"You could say that," I yawned. "Sorry. Long day."

"So I've heard." She hummed. "You're one of those strangers that just rolled into town. Imperials and Stormcloaks, exhausted, covered in soot, and not killing each other on sight. Bet there's an interesting story behind that."

The conversation was beginning to rouse me back to wakefulness, if only for a time.

"You better believe there is, miss…?"

"Call me Delphine."

A slight nod and a smile with my eyes closed marked my only reaction to the name. I'd already suspected it was her, with her familiar voice and appearance, but I never had been the best at faces beyond the vaguest of details, so it was good to confirm. And here I didn't have handy-dandy subtitles appropriately labeling everyone I talked to.

Ralof and Hadvar were with their families for the night. I'd met with both of them. Nice people. Truly, they were. Might take up Alvor on his offer to learn how to do blacksmithy things, once everything's settled down. Unfortunately, it wouldn't happen any time soon. My pack was laden with supplies gifted to me after I'd promised to let Jarl Balgruuf know that Gondor Riverrun calls for aid. I'd set out tomorrow. No horses available, for some reason, so I had a week's worth of hiking ahead of me.

Hjoing and Froda were already fast asleep in their rooms. I was only still awake so I could get some hot food in me. Skyrim was a mite colder than I was comfortable with.

I leaned back and exhaled, laying out my story in my mind.

"You'd have to ask the others for their stories, but me? I woke up on a wagon bound for Helgen. Don't quite know how I wound up there, though; took a shield to the head beforehand, and I seem to be missing some memories." I shrugged helplessly. "I hope they'll come back, but I ain't counting on it. Me not knowing why I was even on that cart, tied up next to Ulfric Stormcloak himself, didn't save me from a date with the headsman's axe. No, the dragon did that…"

Bit by bit, I wove the tale of our daring escape from the flaming jaws of death, of sworn enemies setting aside their petty hatreds in the face of a much greater threat, all the while carefully masking any sign I knew she was anything but a curious rumor-mongering innkeeper, watching her expression sharpen once I uttered the d-word.

Hah, get it? It sharpened cuz she's a Blade.

This nice, pretty lady was supposed to the subordinate of the Dragonborn--my subordinate. My subordinate who would at some point make a rather impolite demand of me (that demand being vengeance and calling it justice), and then refuse to have anything to do with me when I failed to meet it.

I was a pretty big fan of Paarthurnax. Best wise old dragon sensei. Needless to say, I wasn't going to murder him for crimes that had happened thousands of years ago to people I didn't know anything about or care anything for. Not after he'd spent untold centuries as the leader of a monastery of pacifistic monks. And certainly not for this petty bitch.

Her use as a talented warrior and spy was potentially salvageable. Potentially. If she failed to fall in line, well, I'd feel no regret just letting her dangle in the wind. Start up my own Blades if I had to. With blackjack and hookers.

(I didn't actually know how to play Blackjack. Might put a crimp in that. Maybe Spades instead? Spades and hookers.)

In any case, I didn't like her, so I was still gonna fuck with her a little. And I had the beginnings of a plan to do it.

A capricious little devil inside me gleefully rubbed its palms together. 'I am so gonna enjoy imagining your frustrated outrage, you massive cunt.'

Soon enough, my tale was told and came to a close, so I bid a brooding Delphine a good night, thanked the bartender for the meal and got a grunt in return, and fell into my bed and the fuck asleep.

-.-.-

After waking and taking care of some business, the next morning came with its own diversions. Among them, young love.

(Might even be old love too, not sure if the bosmer's youthful looks were a lie or not. Tricksy elves.)

"...You both say you love this girl, but then you both go and pull some petty shite like this," I scolded, shaking a pair of letters in a clenched fist, "Demeaning her intelligence and status as a free woman capable of making her own decisions. You made the mistake of focusing on making the other guy look bad, instead of demonstrating that you, yourselves are actually worthy of her affections. And that, boys, is pathetic."

Before me were two rather surly and shame-faced young men who would rather be anywhere but here listening to me lecture them. Unfortunately for them, they were going nowhere. I had my leverage in hand, and a threat to have Camilla be the one to chew them both out if they didn't agree to have this little chat.

Had to occupy myself somehow before I met the soldiers for one last goodbye. Relationship counseling was pretty fun! Especially now that I could take the third option I'd always wanted to in the game.

Ah. Speaking of them, there they were now. Three Stormcloaks and one Imperial (walking on opposite sides of the street, naturally) making their way towards our agreed upon meeting spot. Best wrap this up.

I shook the papers in my hand. "You want me to burn these letters? Then man the fuck up, go have an actual conversation with this girl, and talk about these complicated feelings collectively called young love. Now get. Shoo!"

Suitably chastised, Sven and Faendal scurried off to the Riverwood Trader. The worst thing about doing the wrong thing was being caught doing the wrong thing. How embarrassing.

Privately, I was rooting for the elf. Many memories of him being my first companion, accompanying me through much of the early game. When he didn't die, he ended up a fairly rich elf. Go forth and conquer Camilla's heart, young mer!

Quickly, before I tried my hand at badly flirting with her. Seriously, the girl was gorgeous! And she smelled nice, too. Alas, I was too busy for romance.

Ralof and Hadvar approached me, Froda and Hjoing standing a bit to the side. They were all rested up, the soot had been wiped off, and their packs were filled with supplies gifted by their families, much like mine was.

"This is it, huh?" I mused. "Time to head our separate ways?"

"Aye," agreed Ralof. "It is high time we return to our people. You said you had words for us to pass on?"

"I did."

From my pack, I withdrew a pair of rolled up scrolls I'd purchased from Lucan, the local shopkeeper. They'd wiped out the last of my scavenged coins, and I'd promised to get his precious golden claw back, but they were worth it. I'd had all morning to prepare my messages.

I passed one to both men. Checking to make sure they were the right ones with the right info, of course.

"It concerns goings-on in your respective sides' capitals. All details are inside. Feel free to read them if you'd like, so you can remember their contents if they get damaged or lost."

I looked to Ralof. "There is a serial killer loose in Windhelm. He's murdering young women, harvesting their body parts for a necromantic ritual. Wants to resurrect his dead sister. His name is Calixto, and he owns a shop called Calixto's Curios. If you want proof, he should have journals in a locked box in his store detailing his madness. If you search Hjerim, the home of one of his victims, you'll find a hidden room where he's been stashing the body parts. Tell Jarl Ulfric and his Court Wizard, get some men together, and go kill that fucker."

The blond Nord gave a sharp nod, his eyes hard. "I'll see to it that justice is done. Damned necromancers."

To be frank, now that Skyrim was home to a significantly higher population than roughly one thousand and eighty named people with seventy voice actors between them all, there probably were far more murderers in Windhelm alone than just this guy. Least I could do something about this one.

"There's more. A young boy named Aventus Aretino escaped Honorhall orphanage in Riften, and came back home to Windhelm. The matron in charge of the children there is an evil, cruel woman, and enjoys hurting them. So the boy is, or will soon try to summon the Dark Brotherhood to kill her."

A little conflicted over this. Murder was pretty bad, and assassins were pretty bad, so a little boy trying to hire an assassin was extra bad, yeah?

But for fuck's sake, Grelod the 'Kind' was a budget Granny Goodness, and there would be no tears shed at her passing--unless they were tears of joy. I saw the manacles in her closet.

My face fell. "I… don't know how to resolve that, but at least try to save the boy from himself. I plan to visit Riften at some point in the near future; if the Brotherhood hasn't gotten to her yet, I'll see to it that Grelod loses her job, at the very least. I don't take kindly to the brutalizing of children."

I received another grim nod. Hoped Aventus wouldn't get in too much trouble, but invoking the services of a death cult didn't have good optics.

"Good. Speaking of damned necromancers..." I turned to an already weary-looking Hadvar. "In Wolfskull Cave, somewhere west of Solitude, a cabal of necromancers is, or will soon be working to call up the spirit of Queen Potema--" Immediately, there was a widening of eyes and muttered cursing among the Nords. They knew, and feared, her legend more than I did.--"and bind her into their service. I'm not expecting Tullius or Elisif to send an entire legion into that cave, but you're definitely gonna need more than one man for it."

Unless you happened to have a Dragonborn on call, that is.

"Expect draugr, necromancers, and possibly vampires. I'd recommend having a priest sanctify her bones and inter them in a more secure location--possibly in several different pieces and places. If you disrupt the binding ritual but fail to stop her from being summoned, she will attempt to raise an undead army in the catacombs under Solitude. I don't think it bares mentioning, but letting that happen would be bad."

"Indeed." The soldier gave a weak smile. "I do have General Tullius' ear on occasion. I'll see what I can do."

I bowed my head in gratitude. "That's all I ask. The last thing Skyrim needs right now is an undead army wreaking havoc. We're gonna be busy enough as it is."

I'd listed Jaree-Ra's plot to sabotage the lighthouse for his pirate buddies in the scroll. Not worth mentioning aloud here. Other than that, nothing really seemed to come to mind that was noteworthy in Solitude this early in the timeline.

I tightened the straps on my pack, checked the steel mace I'd swapped my sword for. Didn't take too much skill to whack someone with a heavy metal stick, and there was less risk of me stabbing myself. I was all ready to go.

"And what about you?" asked Ralof. "Where will the road take you, seer?"

I cracked my neck, craning my head to peer up at the ruins visible up the nearby mountain. "To start, Bleak Falls Barrow, to find something that'll help in the upcoming conflict with the dragons. After that, Whiterun, to warn Jarl Balgruuf. The next dragon attack will happen there. It won't be Alduin, it'll be a smaller, weaker one, so they have a pretty good chance of killing it. And I intend to help them do it. Beyond that…"

My expression grew wistful. "All of Skyrim, eventually. There's a lot of good I can do with my knowledge, all over the province. And… I'm… restless. I can feel it in my bones. For the first time in my life, I'm doing something that matters. Something worthy. I don't know how it'll all turn out… but this is the most alive I've felt in years."

I felt, at once, peaceful, yet energized. A pure, bright, happy smile stretched across my face, and I meant every iota of it. For once, not a bit of it fake.

Looking around one last time at my erstwhile companions, I made sure to clasp forearms with all of them, all manly-man-like.

"Safe travels, all of you," I said warmly. "Talos be with you."

I wasn't a man who put much stock in religion. But that had been in the old world. This new one had no end of gods and afterlives to dedicate oneself to. Talos was a pretty okay dude in my book.

"And may he be with you, too," intoned Hadvar as we went our separate ways.

Time to hit the road. Lots of time to myself. Plenty of ways to while it away. Still had that primer on how to cast Sparks. Could also try figuring out how to enhance my stamina with healing magic…

As Riverwood and civilization fell behind me, a well-sung traveling song began to bubble up out of me.

"When I wake up, well I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you…"

Last edited:
The last thing Skyrim needs right now is an undead army wreaking havoc.

Somewhere, within the hold of Whiterun, the Ritual Stone shed a tear of sorrow, suddenly aware that it wouldn't be shamelessly used every twenty-four hours.

B-But there's hope yet! The Ideal Masters are out there, hanging out and selling necromancy to any chump!
Will they find the love (yummy dragonborn soul) that they desire?
Tune in next time... or in a few /many/ next times... and possibly they may be mentioned!

Back