The colour of the world is changing day by day - Fate/Apocrypha

Ford Prefect

What is Project Zohar?
Pronouns
He/Him
alternative title: it's not the end of a franchise, but you can see it from here.

Anyway, the latest in a long line of Fate adaptations has begun, and it is the absolutely deranged fanfic premise that is Fate/Apocrypha. Like, I'm not even kidding, I think at least half of all Type-Moon fans had this exact kind of idea - I know I did. Anyway, it's happening and so that we can talk about it without having to wade through approximately five million pages of Grand Order business I've made this thread. After all, this is the original complete trash half of the franchise.

The adaptation is being produced by A1 Pictures, so basically a hollow shell filled with whomever, but the director is Asai Yoshiyuki who is pretty good.

Even though I merely inhabit Fate now, like some kind of zombie, I have to admit to really enjoying angry Sawashiro Miyuki delivering the classic Seiba introduction line. That was the highlight of the episode.

Unfortunately, Apocrypha is just trash. This episode is probably as good as it will ever get, and the countdown to the spotlight stealing squad starts now....
ELI5 the problems with Fate/Apocrypha.
Watch for more than 5 episodes and you'll know.

Last edited:
Much like a fanfic it squanders all its potential, half the cast has basically no screentime and the other half aren't much better, and the author's OC Donut Steele grows so absurdly in power he winds up gaining the power of not one but two Servants then turning into a dragon, stealing the Grail, and rawing Jeanne d'Arc for all eternity in the garden of Avalon.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is made by the original author? If it wasn't or if it was, why let this garbage exist?

And this is made by the original author? If it wasn't or if it was, why let this garbage exist?
Nasu developed the initial concept for it, but the LNs were written by one of his circle of petssubordinate authors.

And as I understand it Nasu doesn't really interfere with other people's narratives.

I was promised "William Shakespeare & Spartacus fight Nazi Dracula & Jack the Ripper".

This was promptly tossed out the window in favor of following around an escaped Nazi science project whose role in the story is getting Joan of Arc hot and bothered and causing more compelling characters to suicide to give him power ups. :(

Last edited:
I said this in the other thread already, and Wade's basically said it here, but I'm here mostly for Spartacus kaiju shenanigans. His VA sounds deliciously crazy. I was also hyped for Dracula, but considering I know how he goes out it just makes me sad.

EDIT: Fuck, if it's not going to give me good plot it better at least give me some good fight scenes.

Last edited:
then turning into a dragon, stealing the Grail, and rawing Jeanne d'Arc for all eternity in the garden of Avalon.
Wait, that's how it ends? I had a general idea of why it was bad, but I just never knew the ending because I didn't care enough to look it up or ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Here, thread full of naked antipathy for Apocrypha, come post in the dedicated Apocrypha thread!"
*releases said naked antipathy*
"WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!?"

I should have perhaps known better than to step into that den of addicts ...

Honestly though, the episode telegraphs a lot of the ending and plot development right away - the narration at the beginning outright states that it's the Mysterious Dragon Boy looking back on his memories and what came to be, he's shown to have faded Command Seals so he's clearly going to be involved in the War as a Master, as soon as he shows up in the story proper it'll be easy to recognize him, and there is exactly 1 long-haired blonde with boobs like that in the show and that's Jeanne.

Oh, and he's a dragon somehow and once Servant identities start getting dropped there's exactly one of them who had a Dragon involved in their legend so obviously he's paired up with that Servant (hell, if you look up sword names from this episode you've found the one), and I'm pretty sure once we get a good look at the Grail itself it'll be obvious that's what he's holding.

So by virtue of including this scene to assure us that "no this is totally going cool places don't you want to see how this ends up look at this mysterious and cool ending that you want to find out how it comes to be" - trying to hype the climax of the story as the literal first scene - they've screwed the pooch on a lot of twists and development going down.

This is mediocre so far. I'm not especially hopeful about it getting better, but hey - it's a full adaptation of the story. That's cool in my books at least.

Honestly I just want to see this part animated.
Alright someone tell me which Episode is going to have Siegfried committing suicide and passing the buck to that Homonculus kid to deal with Astolfo talking.

The only episode I'll watch is the one where
Astolfo's master genuinely tries her best to fuckmurder her twink femboy but because of Servant durability he just lies there super bored while she gets super butthurt.

"Here, thread full of naked antipathy for Apocrypha, come post in the dedicated Apocrypha thread!"
*releases said naked antipathy*
"WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!?"

In my defence, FGO has made that thread totally impenetrable and I honestly didn't know if anyone had been talking about it. It's practically a thousand pages of 'this chair' with the word chair substituted with gacha. :V

EDIT: Fuck, if it's not going to give me good plot it better at least give me some good fight scenes.

Tfw the battle between Homunculi army and trash skeleton mobs is better animated, directed, and more interesting to watch than the two Saber's slowly and lovingly lock their swords together in beautiful embraces and finish off with a finale of their lowering their beams to have the tips of their swords tap.

In my defence, FGO has made that thread totally impenetrable and I honestly didn't know if anyone had been talking about it. It's practically a thousand pages of 'this chair' with the word chair substituted with gacha. :V
If you run a keyword search for 'Apocrypha' a fist will just physically burst through your screen and punch you out of your chair.

Tfw the battle between Homunculi army and trash skeleton mobs is better animated, directed, and more interesting to watch than the two Saber's slowly and lovingly lock their swords together in beautiful embraces and finish off with a finale of their lowering their beams to have the tips of their swords tap.

Yeah, none of the fight scenes so far have given me much hope for the rest of them.

I think what I would have preferred for the opening sequence would have been Vlad annihilating the expedition of magi sent to retrieve the Grail. The manga adaptation opens with it, and it's cool as hell.

Rereading chapter 11 of the FA manga, I am slowly finding myself getting hyped for that episode. Spartacus is already a treasure, but that entire scene between him and Vlad is both tragic in a very twisted way and also a nice way to showcase how powerful Vlad is before he gets fucked over by Higashide later on.

First episode was really solid. I'm especially impressed by how well they handled exposition, especially compared to Zero and SN.

Animation was surprisingly well done and music and voice acting was on point.

So far A1 pictures are really on ball. It remains to be seen if they can keep that quality up for the rest of season.

Back