The City Of The Dead (CWMGQ Spin-Off)

"Speaking of which, I haven't watched any zombie movies recently, but if D**ng L**ht taught me anything we're gonna want to get this place secured before night falls. You know, cover the holes, find a light source, do a food run, maybe go clear out some nearby stragglers."

"Speaking of which, I haven't watched any zombie movies recently, but if D**ng L**ht taught me anything we're gonna want to get this place secured before night falls. You know, cover the holes, find a light source, do a food run, maybe go clear out some nearby stragglers."

"Yeah, if we're going to be here for a few days at least....we need food. Well, actual food."
Scavenger turns back away from the holes in the wall, having kept an eye on her EverSwarm as they investigated them, a veritable sparkle in her eyes. "Three minutes without air, three hours without shelter, three days without water, three weeks without food. This place is much better off than some of where I've had to make do before." She pauses, looking over the group and trying to make a guess as to how much she'd be looking for. "Yeah, if we can secure this building, then I should have enough time to get us supplied for tonight. I can't guarantee that it will be comfortable, but it'll definitely be better than the inside of a half crushed-half rusted car missing the floorboards!"

The Major nods. "Light's starting to fade, so no going outside unless we don't have a choice. Find some boards or metal, and make sure any holes outside are blocked. We can leave any broken inside walls for now, but if a dead can use it to get in it must be fortified."

The Major looks at Tourne. "Scavenger, can you live up to the name?"

Scavenger turns back away from the holes in the wall, having kept an eye on her EverSwarm as they investigated them, a veritable sparkle in her eyes. "Three minutes without air, three hours without shelter, three days without water, three weeks without food. This place is much better off than some of where I've had to make do before." She pauses, looking over the group and trying to make a guess as to how much she'd be looking for. "Yeah, if we can secure this building, then I should have enough time to get us supplied for tonight. I can't guarantee that it will be comfortable, but it'll definitely be better than the inside of a half crushed-half rusted car missing the floorboards!"

"That sounds both handy and like there's a story there." Thema notes as she sends more of her swarm out to patrol around the building and the street around it. There was that shelf they passed going through this building.... "The zombies shouldn't be able to sneak up on us without the Swarm noticing, and they don't sleep."

Morgan nods.
"Unless there's roof hatch hold off a bit before you patch that big hole. I want to get a look at things from a better vantage point than roof level. And there's a theory I want to test."

The Major nods. "Light's starting to fade, so no going outside unless we don't have a choice. Find some boards or metal, and make sure any holes outside are blocked. We can leave any broken inside walls for now, but if a dead can use it to get in it must be fortified."

"What about tomorrow, then? What will we be doing then?" Alice asked.

The Major looks at Amalgam. "And what theory is that?"
"A necromancer caused all this right? Well, if they're controlling the zombies then there'd have to be a connection of some kind. Last fight I carved out part of my essence and replaced it some of the zombie's, or at least whatever the magical stuff it's got that acts like essence. If the zombies are connected to the necromancer, then given some time to focus and clearer sightlines I might be able to sniff out a direction for us to head in tomorrow. I'm not gonna make any promises that it'll work, but it's also not gonna cost us anything to try."

Last edited:
"A necromancer caused all this right? Well, if they're controlling the zombies then there'd have to be a connection of some kind. Last fight I carved out part of my essence, and replaced it some of the zombie's, or at least whatever the magical stuff it's got that acts like essence. If the zombies are connected to the necromancer, then given some time to focus and clearer sightlines I might be able to sniff out a direction for us to head in tomorrow. I'm not gonna make any promises that it'll work, but it's also not gonna cost us anything to try."
"Alright. May as well. Not before we fortify, in case the necro can see back."
"What about tomorrow, then? What will we be doing then?" Alice asked.
"Amalgam is testing her theory, and we get the lay of the land. Scavenger and Swarm should be helpful there. As should Sunshower."

"Alright. May as well. Not before we fortify, in case the necro can see back."

"Amalgam is testing her theory, and we get the lay of the land. Scavenger and Swarm should be helpful there. As should Sunshower."
"My name is Morgan." She says before heading off to help search the building for supplies.

Last edited:
The Major looks at Tourne. "Scavenger, can you live up to the name?"
"Did it before, no reason I can't do it again!" Scavenger gathers her EverSwarm and puts it to searching for food and water before doing so more directly herself. Between her magic, and oh boy did becoming a Magical Girl make foraging and such easier in a multitude of ways, and the additional senses of the EverSwarm there should no trouble unless she encounters an enemy that she can't immediately gun down.
Forager's Find triggers. Given time, Scavenger will be able to find food and water for at least two people. More time spent will trigger this multiple times.
Remaining in the building is an obvious restriction, but they are in a building with a bar. So checking the bar, the wine cellar, and any other rooms on this level should serve to pick off stragglers and give her a good area to at least start looking in.

Last edited:
"Did it before, no reason I can't do it again!" Scavenger gathers her EverSwarm and puts it to searching for food and water before doing so more directly herself. Between her magic, and oh boy did becoming a Magical Girl make foraging and such easier in a multitude of ways, and the additional senses of the EverSwarm there should no trouble unless she encounters an enemy that she can't immediately gun down.
Forager's Find triggers. Given time, Scavenger will be able to find food and water for at least two people. More time spent will trigger this multiple times.
Remaining in the building is an obvious restriction, but they are in a building with a bar. So checking the bar, the wine cellar, and any other rooms on this level should serve to pick off stragglers and give her a good area to at least start looking in.
Tourne's swarms pour into the cellar of the bar searching for foodstuffs as Tourne herself searches the rest of the building's ground floor. For half an hour, all she finds is broken beer bottles and rotten meat. Fortunately, after scouring the cellar, her swarms discover some intact, refrigerated beef. Though the freezers and fridges aren't working, the meat is cold. She also finds some assorted vegetables and fruit that are nearing the edge of their lifetime.

Also, the plumbing appears to be operational.

A corner of her mind pay attention to the EverSwarm as Tourne takes a look through what remains of the wine shelf room. The shelves are obviously alcohol, those can be ruled out, but what about that intact box? Or that half collapsed shelf on top of what looks like a cabinet? One by one, either by hand or halligan bar, the contents of the room are revealed to be broken glass, spilled alcohol, and holes in the walls of various sizes. "Gonna check other rooms, got my Swarm checking out the basement, I'll be around~"
Well lit room from before? Zombie corpse, probably not safe to eat, lever that off to the side and make a mental note. Maybe the basic zombie had a part or some quality she could use? Boxes had zilch, more broken glass and spilled alcohol. She peeked around the corner into another room, checks it out after clearing it, and moves on. Minutes tick on by without much notice from her as she skitters around, wedging herself through gaps and clearing rubble until she finds it. A cardboard crate, in the first room off the hallway from the bar, has some still ripe fruits and veggies in it! Also a hatch that can be lifted up to reach the cellar, sitting off to the side, good to know for the future. With her Swarm down there already, she pops back out to the greater group. "Found the cellar entrance! Rest of this floor is just glass and alcohol, though I did find some fruits and veggies we'll want to eat sooner than later."

"Found the cellar entrance! Rest of this floor is just glass and alcohol, though I did find some fruits and veggies we'll want to eat sooner than later."

"A cellar might be a bit safer to stay in than up here maybe? It would be harder for them to break into that than the walls, gives time to transform and fight...." And if she just flooded the building with bugs on top of that....... "But then a room with only one exit....." Was risky in its own right.

"A cellar might be a bit safer to stay in than up here maybe? It would be harder for them to break into that than the walls, gives time to transform and fight...." And if she just flooded the building with bugs on top of that....... "But then a room with only one exit....." Was risky in its own right.
"Even if we don't hole up down there, it's probably where a fridge or freezer would be kept. Be back soon!"
Lever open the cellar hatch, and drop on down to discover... Well then. The EverSwarm had mentioned there was something down here, but she hadn't expected rotten meat to just be sitting out. The smell was a lot stronger actually in the cellar itself. Plugging her nose, she checks on what definitely looks like a refrigerator, and gets a blast of cold air in her face along with the sight of some beef! Closing that door immediately, she checks and confirms that yeah, there sure isn't any power. Unplugging the fridge from the wall did nothing to change the level of ambient noise.
The rest of the cellar, what little of it there is, is pretty bare aside from the rotten meat. Hopefully Thema's transformation could make use of it, because food poisoning was not fun even in good conditions. Grabbing a ladder and setting it upright next to the hatch, she climbs back up and once more rejoins the main group. "Alright, fully summary. Running water, some fruits and vegetables nearing end of edible span, remarkable amount of rotten meat, and some beef kept cold in a fridge that has since lost power. The beef will stay cold as long as we don't open the door to the fridge for too long, but we will need to eat it pretty quickly regardless."

"Even if we don't hole up down there, it's probably where a fridge or freezer would be kept. Be back soon!"
Lever open the cellar hatch, and drop on down to discover... Well then. The EverSwarm had mentioned there was something down here, but she hadn't expected rotten meat to just be sitting out. The smell was a lot stronger actually in the cellar itself. Plugging her nose, she checks on what definitely looks like a refrigerator, and gets a blast of cold air in her face along with the sight of some beef! Closing that door immediately, she checks and confirms that yeah, there sure isn't any power. Unplugging the fridge from the wall did nothing to change the level of ambient noise.
The rest of the cellar, what little of it there is, is pretty bare aside from the rotten meat. Hopefully Thema's transformation could make use of it, because food poisoning was not fun even in good conditions. Grabbing a ladder and setting it upright next to the hatch, she climbs back up and once more rejoins the main group. "Alright, fully summary. Running water, some fruits and vegetables nearing end of edible span, remarkable amount of rotten meat, and some beef kept cold in a fridge that has since lost power. The beef will stay cold as long as we don't open the door to the fridge for too long, but we will need to eat it pretty quickly regardless."
"Yeah, I can smell it....." Well her swarm could which was effectively the same thing as far as she was concerned. "Eh, rotten meat can't be any worse than actually zombies." She shrugs, more or less fine with things. She really had eaten worse.

"Yeah, I can smell it....." Well her swarm could which was effectively the same thing as far as she was concerned. "Eh, rotten meat can't be any worse than actually zombies." She shrugs, more or less fine with things. She really had eaten worse.

Morgan looks down at her dress and hands.
"I wonder if I'll ever agree with you on that, not for a while yet though. These things still smell terrible, I don't want to imagine how they taste."

Morgan looks down at her dress and hands.
"I wonder if I'll ever agree with you on that, not for a while yet though. These things still smell terrible, I don't want to imagine how they taste."

Thema winces. "Yeah, I wouldn't recommend trying it. Eating anything's kind of my special skill, probably won't end well for anyone else."

Thema winces. "Yeah, I wouldn't recommend trying it. Eating anything's kind of my special skill, probably won't end well for anyone else."
"I mean... while I could probably find more, that would involve checking out more levels of the building. And if you're good with eating rotten meat, then we do have enough for everyone. Basement does smell a bit, but that's mostly from... rotten meat." She shrugs, fiddling with her halligan bar. "We should figure out where we're holing up. Anywhere on this floor is probably fine long as it's not right next to a large hole and we can reinforce relevant doors, if you can ignore the smell the basement works too. Just a matter of picking a spot, and I can retrieve what I found for us to put together a camp meal of sorts."

"I mean... while I could probably find more, that would involve checking out more levels of the building. And if you're good with eating rotten meat, then we do have enough for everyone. Basement does smell a bit, but that's mostly from... rotten meat." She shrugs, fiddling with her halligan bar. "We should figure out where we're holing up. Anywhere on this floor is probably fine long as it's not right next to a large hole and we can reinforce relevant doors, if you can ignore the smell the basement works too. Just a matter of picking a spot, and I can retrieve what I found for us to put together a camp meal of sorts."

"Either way, it's not like we're going to be staying here once morning comes. The fastest way out is still to find the necromancer, and even if it takes a few days, we'd want to not stay in one spot and get found eventually." Thema waves in the direction of the basement. "The room before the basement...it's solid, gives kind of a fallback, and if we need to leave in a hurry...we can probably smash through these walls easy enough."

"Good enough for me! As secure as we'll get with a fallback and escape routes. Anyone else got things they want to do out here before we all head over there for the night?"

"I've got nothing besides dealing with that meat before it rots even more. Anyone got contained fires on them? Roasted stuff still tastes better."

Back