The Beautiful Quest: An Association Football Quest

[x] Enjoy your night but nothing more.
[X] Accept and look forward to earning some more money.
[x] Absolutely not, I am a local Salford boy, and I believe this club is property of the community and should be managed and owned by people who know the fans, players and manager.
[x] Wes Brown

[x] Absolutely not, I am a local Salford boy, and I believe this club is property of the community and should be managed and owned by people who know the fans, players and manager.
[x] Wes Brown

Fergie sold Solskjaer and brought Kluivert in as a replacement? Man, the partnership of Watson and Kluivert is going to be lethal for years to come. I guess that means no Ruud van Nistelrooy though. We've finally burst onto the international scene in spectacular fashion as well.

Fergie wanted to get rid of Ole in that transfer window, but he refused to go. He also tried to bring in Kluivert but gotten beaten by Van Gaal, so he brought in Dwight Yorke instead. Van Nistelrooy coming in will be dependent on a few factors but he certainly won't be staying at PSV for the rest of his career.

Inserted tally
Adhoc vote count started by Pathetic King on Jun 27, 2020 at 1:22 AM, finished with 22 posts and 17 votes.

[X] Absolutely not, I am a local Salford boy, and I believe this club is property of the community and should be managed and owned by people who know the fans, players and manager.
[X] David Beckham

Connect Four
Connect Four

Rolls
Performance - 20
Development - 11
England Performance - 11
National Awards - 18
Club Awards - 13
Comment Reaction (Edwards) - 15
Comment Reaction (General) - 18
Relationship - 3
Making Friends - 20
Barca Manager - 16 (1-9 Stick To What You Know, 10-15 The Dutch Invasion Pt 3, 16-18 A Risk, 19-20 The Counter-Revolution)

Andy Watson partied like it was 1999 by repeatedly embarrassing defences from Newcastle to Munich. You began the year with a bang, scoring a hat trick against West Ham. You followed this up with a brace in a 5-2 win over Leicester and the opening goal in a 2-0 triumph over Charlton. This feast of goals earned you the Player of the Month award for January.

You began February slowly, not scoring in the 1-0 victory over Derby or the 3-1 win in Nottingham. This was followed by a man of the match performance against Arsenal where you showed a more creative side, dragging Tony Adams out of position so Patrick Kluivert could meet Ryan Giggs's cross to score the opener before floating a clever pass towards David Beckham who sealed a crucial 2-1 victory. You finished February with a goal in a 3-1 win over Southampton.

March was another month that began with a hat trick, this time against Newcastle. You continued in great goalscoring form with a brace against Everton, a goal against Wimbledon and a brace against Sheffield Wednesday to earn the Player of the Month awards for both March and April.

You only scored one goal in May, relegating Blackburn on the penultimate day of the season. That brought your league tally for the year to an outstanding 29 goals in 36 games, winning the Premier League Golden Boot by 11 goals. Manchester United ran away with the title, completing the first part of a historic treble.

You played a major role in the FA Cup as well. You started five games, appearing as a substitute in the Third Round victory over Middlesbrough. You contributed goals to victories over Liverpool (Fourth Round) and Chelsea (Sixth Round). In the final against Ruud Guillt's Newcastle United, you scored two goals either side of a Paul Scholes strike as United comfortably won the final 3-0.

It was your performances in the Champions League that truly made you the world's hottest prospect. You began the knockout stages with a hat trick at the Bernabeu that made even the Los Blancos diehards applaud you as you utterly embarrassed Guus Hiddink's men. Despite the leg in Old Trafford being a 1-1 draw, United still advanced 5-2 on aggregate.

In the semi finals, your opponent was Bayern Munich. In the Olympiastadion, you put the Red Devils ahead in the fifth minute with a powerful downward header that Oliver Kahn had no chance with. Basler and Jancker scored either side of half time to put the hosts ahead before a David Beckham free kick made things level again in injury time. In the return leg, you smashed home a penalty which was the only goal of the game. United progressed thanks to the aggregate score being 3-2.

The final was held in the massive and atmospheric Camp Nou, home to FC Barcelona. The opposition was Juventus, who ended your dreams of European glory last season. And the game began badly.

In the 3rd minute, Jaap Stam barged Zidane in the penalty area, earning himself a red card while Del Piero converted from the spot. You responded by curling a magnificent shot into the top corner shortly afterwards. Just before half time, you repeated the manoeuvre you first did on Tony Adams, allowing Ronny Johnsen to rifle home Beckham's cross. You made the lead comfortable by using your strength to force your way through a post-corner ruckus and score before a sensational diving header completed your hat trick and a stunning individual performance.

Manchester United won the first ever treble of the League title, FA Cup and Champions League in English football, winning an unprecedented fourth league title in a row in the process. Your personal awards included the Player of the Year, PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Team of the Year (all won for the first time) as well as the Golden Boot and the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, won for the second year in a row. And you are only 18.

You became an England regular too, earning five more caps. While still decent, your performances were more lacklustre than in the autumn, only netting once.

During the course of the campaign, you scored an incredible 49 goals in all competitions. You also made your 100th Manchester United appearance in all competitions. Next season, there is a good chance of you making your 100th Premier League appearance and scoring your 100th goal in all competitions. That is, if you stay at the club because the big boys of Europe are sniffing around and there are rumours of an offer coming in for you...

In other news, you have become even greater friends with Beckham, with you perhaps being his 'best friend'. This has made Gary Neville, another close friend of the winger, rather jealous of the seemingly special relationship you two have. Coming out against the BSkyb takeover has endeared you to the fans, especially after Martin Edwards cited your comments as his reason for cancelling the sale. Unfortunately, you and Geri didn't connect and a second date never happened.

Stats
Name: Andy Watson
Height: 6ft 6in (198 cm)
Weight: 200 lbs (91 kg)
Position: Forward
Current Team: Manchester United
Number: 24
Youth Career:
  • Beechfield United (1987-1991)
  • Manchester United (1991-1996)
Senior Career:
  • Manchester United (1996-) 83/64 (120/83)
  • Total: 83/64 (120/83)

International Career:
  • England Under-16 (1996) 4/0
  • England Under-21 (1998) 4/1
  • England (1998- ) 10/4

Skills:
  • Pace - 11
  • Power - 15
  • Heading - 16
  • Flair - 13
  • Set Piece Taking - 8
  • Passing - 7
  • Intelligence - 13
  • Leadership - 6

Relationships:
  • Brian Watson (Father) - Excellent
  • Tanya Watson (Mother) - Excellent
  • Eric Harrison (Reserve Coach) - Great
  • Alex Ferguson (Manager) - Excellent
  • Wes Brown (Team Mate) - Good
  • Roy Keane (Captain) - Good
  • David Beckham (Team Mate) - Excellent
  • Gary Neville (Team Mate) - Dislikes
  • Ryan Giggs (Team Mate) - Good
  • Pini Zahavi (Agent) - Good
  • Martin Edwards (Club Chairman) - Good

Trophies
  • Manchester United
    • 1998-99 UEFA Champions League
    • 1996-97 FA Premier League
    • 1997-98 FA Premier League
    • 1998-99 FA Premier League
    • 1998-99 FA Cup
    • 1997 Charity Shield
Awards
  • Manchester United
    • Premier League Player of the Year Award - 1998-99
    • PFA Young Player of the Year Award - 1998-99
    • PFA Team of the Year Award - 1998-99
    • Premier League Golden Boot - 1997-98 (Shared), 1998-99
    • Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year - 1997-98, 1998-99
    • Premier League Player of the Month - Feb 98, Jan 99, Mar 99, Apr 99
    • Jimmy Murphy Young Player of the Year - 1996-97

Last edited:
Realised I forgot to mention your personal life, which which I'll edit in tomorrow. As for the questions, watch this space ;)

Concerned over that 3 roll.

Yikes.

Absolutely fucking smashed it on the pitch, though.

Why does Neville dislike us? Tied in with the 3? We went from Good down to Dislike - that's two full stages of decreased relationship.

Last edited:
Seems like we're nearing a skill plateau. A roll of 11 for Development netted no change in stats instead of a minor increase. I would've figured we had more growth in us, seeing as we're only 18. Maybe it's another case of needing to up our measures or something, though I don't know how hard we can really go without fucking our body up too early.

A 3 on Relationship and Geri Haliwell's not shown up on our relations list. Looks like we didn't connect, but parted amicably enough. That 20 on Making Friends is interesting to me, seeing as it implies a similar level of "holy heck" as the 20 in Performance. Ferguson from Great to Excellent, Keane from Neutral to Good, Beckham from Great to Excellent, Neville from Good to Dislikes, and Edwards introduced at Good, though that's the 15 for his reaction. I guess Excellent relations means a lot. Makes sense, that's the same level we have with our parents.

Man I dont know, is there anywhere else we would want to go to?
Clearly we should bounce back and forth between Manchester City and Manchester United to be fair to our extended regional scene. Or failing that, join Everton or Liverpool. :p

More seriously, does anyone actually want to see the character jump around to different teams every so often? It won't mean much besides some extra dollars in the bank account and while that's a driving factor in IRL, we're all just playing around with text on a screen.

Clearly we should bounce back and forth between Manchester City and Manchester United to be fair to our extended regional scene. Or failing that, join Everton or Liverpool. :p

More seriously, does anyone actually want to see the character jump around to different teams every so often? It won't mean much besides some extra dollars in the bank account and while that's a driving factor in IRL, we're all just playing around with text on a screen.
For now, not really, but seeing new leagues when we're older (one year or two) might be nice. Playing for Real and Milan AC could be interesting, in this period

I'm actually having a surprising amount of fun reading about us dominating a sport that I know next to nothing about. :p

For now, not really, but seeing new leagues when we're older (one year or two) might be nice. Playing for Real and Milan AC could be interesting, in this period
Especially considering Manchester U is about to hit a pretty steep decline for a bit so moving on once that happens would be nice.

You know, we might edge out Rivaldo and break Ronaldo's record, winning the 1999 FIFA World Player of the Year and Ballon d'Or awards aged just 19.

Going to AC Milan now would be good, RM After that would be the cherry on top.
5 years at Milan (age:24) and spend our peak at RM which should be about 6 years (age:30) then we ought return to retire at ManU.

Not sure what this slump you guys are going on about is. The team won the Premiership again in the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons, finished third in 2001-02, regained the title in 2002-03, and won the FA Cup in 2003-04.

I've edited the chapter.

Weren't we the joint top scorer last year?

Yes we were, I've added that in.

1999 (or is it 2000)? Wasn't that when Real Madrid began going galacticos on everyone?

Florentino Perez was elected in 2000.

Not sure what this slump you guys are going on about is. The team won the Premiership again in the 1999-2000 and 2000-01 seasons, finished third in 2001-02, regained the title in 2002-03, and won the FA Cup in 2003-04.

Yeah if United under SAF had a slump, it was between 2003-2006 where Fergie's Fledglings had either left or were past their peak, Ronaldo and Rooney hadn't matured yet and the lack of a reliably good keeper until they brought in Van Der Sar.

Every time there is a serious transfer offer, I will put it as a separate threadmark because it's quite an important choice. I do intend on there being one every couple of years to keep things interesting. The possibility of a Bosman transfer or getting released also exists.

Manchester United won the first ever treble of the League title, FA Cup and Champions League in English football, winning an unprecedented fourth league title in a row in the process. Your personal awards included the Golden Boot, Player of the Year, PFA Young Player of the Year, PFA Team of the Year (all won for the first time) and the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year, won for the second year in a row. And you are only 18.

This still says it's our first time winning the Golden Boot.

Back