Terminator: Dark Fate

Saw the movie and I'd agree that it's fairly solid - better than what they've produced since the 2nd movie.

I don't think it's as iconic, but there's clearly effort put in. Arnold's presence isn't overbearing and there's a bit more purpose to his presence than the obligatory appearance.

I think there might be some tie in with the Sara Connor Chronicles- but I only ever saw a few episodes ages ago so I could be wrong on that front.

Nah it clearly takes concepts from all the prior Terminator stuff but it's fairly clearly its own thing and fairly confident in being its own thing.

I saw Dark Fate on Friday and ultimately liked it quite a bit. I thought the slowmo was out of place and distracting, but they seemed to frontload it as I don't recall it being prevalent in the later action sequences.

On a completely different note, I enjoyed the way it all but stated that once you time travel, the issue of paradoxes ceases to be relevant for you.

It occurs to me that although people tend to write it as REV-9 perhaps the proper way to write down Gabriel Luna's Terminator would be rev. 9.

As in revision 9.

Because instead of Skynet, which was a 100% military project built and designed as a military project by a military contractor, Legion is an AI for 2019, probably some sort of military magnum opus based upon commercial technology and Silicon Valley innovation. So maybe it names its Terminators using computer lingo rather than military lingo.

It's not the Type 800, Model 101. It's Revision 9 of the Terminator platform. There's probably some Google and Amazon legacy code whizzing inside its robot brain somewhere.
It'll be Microsoft not Amazon. Microsoft won the $10B contract to build a "war cloud" for the US military and Amazon are hella mad about it.

With that stuff in mind, I'm a little sad they didn't include at least a passing reference to CV dazzle camouflage in the future war sections. It would have been a cool way to make a very distinct aesthetic for the humans to set them apart from the original timeline future war, the same way the robots have a clearly different vibe to them.

With that stuff in mind, I'm a little sad they didn't include at least a passing reference to CV dazzle camouflage in the future war sections. It would have been a cool way to make a very distinct aesthetic for the humans to set them apart from the original timeline future war, the same way the robots have a clearly different vibe to them.
That apparently just interferes with facial recognition software. It might keep the robots from knowing which human you are, but it would keep them from knowing that you're a human and killing you.

Found it a resoundingly repetitive 'Meh' despite still technically better then any other T2 sequel and a few neat ideas like Grace's Super Soldier coming with plausible drawbacks, being then aggressively countered with things like Sarah Connor being a sexist for no reason but to set up a dumb Big Reveal that might been shocking in 1960 but feels predictable and trite now.

They could done so much more instead so much lazy rebranding of the same exact thing, why is TSCC still the most innovative of the live-action Terminator squels by actually doing different things with the time-travel concept or there being more then just two factions in this war?

Found it a resoundingly repetitive 'Meh' despite still technically better then any other T2 sequel and a few neat ideas like Grace's Super Soldier coming with plausible drawbacks, being then aggressively countered with things like Sarah Connor being a sexist for no reason but to set up a dumb Big Reveal that might been shocking in 1960 but feels predictable and trite now.

They could done so much more instead so much lazy rebranding of the same exact thing, why is TSCC still the most innovative of the live-action Terminator squels by actually doing different things with the time-travel concept or there being more then just two factions in this war?
I don't know what to tell you, but it seemed pretty clear to me that Sarah was projecting her own background and experiences with time-travelling killer robots onto Dani. Hence the assumption that Grace is protecting Dani to save her child rather than because Dani herself was the saviour.

I don't know what to tell you, but it seemed pretty clear to me that Sarah was projecting her own background and experiences with time-travelling killer robots onto Dani. Hence the assumption that Grace is protecting Dani to save her child rather than because Dani herself was the saviour.

Except she outright says Dani is not important and that she is only good for her womb and overlook the Herculean feats she done to protect John and raising him to be a leader of men, so I don't see why she disparages Dani like that except for trying to trick(and fail since everyone saw it coming) the audience into being caught off-guard by a woman being the new saviour.

I couldn't help but think of the Simpsons when Lisa declared she was going to join the kid football team hoping to shock everyone with her boldness, only for Ned to point out they already have four girls on the team.

Except she outright says Dani is not important and that she is only good for her womb and overlook the Herculean feats she done to protect John and raising him to be a leader of men, so I don't see why she disparages Dani like that except for trying to trick(and fail since everyone saw it coming) the audience into being caught off-guard by a woman being the new saviour.

I couldn't help but think of the Simpsons when Lisa declared she was going to join the kid football team hoping to shock everyone with her boldness, only for Ned to point out they already have four girls on the team.
Why would the woman who spent every waking moment of her life trying to protect her son only to have him be murdered by the unthinking remnant of a deleted timeline long after she thought they'd won be bitter and cynical?

I think there's a distinct human aesthetic here that's very different from the rough-and-grungy post-apocalyptic Tech-Com in the future war sequences, and some of the implications suggest that the devastation of the future war is actually very different than the Skynet future war.

Grace suggests that most of the devastation from Judgment Day was enacted by humans when they tried to contain Legion's cyberattacks and inadvertently started WW3 instead, then spent a lot of their time killing each other. In Grace's flashback where there's like, one or two killer robots, it also feels like Legion has distinctly fewer resources and much more tenuous control over the world than Skynet ever did, but is a lot better at using those resources than Skynet was.

The Rev9 itself is an interesting metaphor for the differences between Skynet's 80s robots and Legion's modern robots, because it's clever, understands human systems and can turn them against its targets, fast, and a lot more creative than Skynet's Terminators are.

A woman who failed to protect her son might consider her own contributions kind of useless outside of John Connor's Chosen One identity. And it's pretty clear that Sarah Connor is identifying far too closely with Dani, which is why some of her self-loathing also leaks out towards Dani. Focusing only on that single statement ignores the rest of her actions towards Dani, which don't evidence some deep-seated internalized sexism.

Well it makes more sense in the new timeline to be less "Skynet takes over the entire nuclear arsenal and kills everyone in it" vs "Legion uses well placed cyberattacks to incite nuclear war between nations already on the brink"

Skynet Terminators were always the classic "Robot apocalypse" That it no longer feels realistic as what would Legion do to start a Judgment day event.

That was surprisingly great. It was fun to see Leigon's Terminators used Carbon Nanobullshit instead of conventional metal. MJ12 is right, the film really did sell the difference between the two models.

Natalia Reyes did a great job on selling me on Dani as the future leader of the resistance, and pretty much everyone had an interesting arc in it. The only real low point for me was the EMP plot point, which felt like a bit of a plot culdesac to me.

Also, seems like the poor F-35 is cursed. Getting taking out by Rodan was one thing, but getting punked by a tanker plane, even one piloted by a Terminator, is another. And now not even Top Gun 2 is going to feature it, so it looks like it has little chance of being able to salvage it's reputation on the silver screen.

Huh.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Puts Franchise on Ice, Faces $120M-Plus Loss

'Terminator: Dark Fate' faces losses of $120 million-plus after bombing in its global debut over the weekend.

Terminator: Dark Fate
bombed in its global box office debut over the weekend, grossing just $29 million in the U.S., well behind expectations.

Nor was its performance much better overseas, where it has earned $94.6 million to date, including a lackluster China launch of $28 million, for a global total of $123.6 million.

Dark Fate faces losses of $120 million-plus for partners Skydance Media, Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox, which each put up 30 percent of the $185 million budget (Disney, which now owns the Fox film studio, will absorb the loss), sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. China's Tencent has a 10 percent stake.

It's possibly early to say it's bombed, but I think the expectation was it would get a blockbuster opening...

That was surprisingly great. It was fun to see Leigon's Terminators used Carbon Nanobullshit instead of conventional metal. MJ12 is right, the film really did sell the difference between the two models.

Natalia Reyes did a great job on selling me on Dani as the future leader of the resistance, and pretty much everyone had an interesting arc in it. The only real low point for me was the EMP plot point, which felt like a bit of a plot culdesac to me.

Also, seems like the poor F-35 is cursed. Getting taking out by Rodan was one thing, but getting punked by a tanker plane, even one piloted by a Terminator, is another. And now not even Top Gun 2 is going to feature it, so it looks like it has little chance of being able to salvage it's reputation on the silver screen.

The EMP scene existed to show three things-first, Sarah Connor despite her crazy-old-lady-ness and being wanted in all 50 states, was still extremely dangerous and well-connected, implicitly because she had enough 'stuff' from the Skynet future to convince certain sorts of people to give her the gear she needs (which also helps to explain why she had access to things like anti-tank rockets).

Second, it was supposed to show that Carl & Grace had some decent planning chops between them, and when the plan went south it let Dani show the inklings of the resistance leader she'd become by getting really good at improvising really fucking madly when everything went sideways.

Finally, the destruction of the EMP weapons sets up Carl and Grace's sacrifice, by making it clear that they no longer have the tools to easily defeat the Terminator and might have to resort to more extreme measures.

I'd say yes. It's a surprisingly decent action movie and it's pretty fun. It has some flaws, but ultimately it was worth the money I spent to see it.

Also, it technically passes the Bechdel test by virtue of having three women talk about a genocidal AI and not a man. :V

Thank Sappho for Mackenzie Davis as a butch cyborg who gets to be adorably overprotective of a girl.

Don't really appreciate her getting killed off, though.

My dream Terminator movie starts out like this. It would start in the future, after the defeat of Skynet, and mankind sends Kyle Reese back in time, and then the Arnold Terminator (taken from a rack of Arnold Terminators).

Then John Connor says "Now that we've sent these two Terminators back, my knowledge is over. We can now make our own fate."

Then a scientists blurts out -- "But the Time Displacement Equipment has been used three times!"

Just saw the movie, I liked it a lot. Was nice to see them do something different, free of the shackles of John Connor and Skynet. The new cast and Linda Hamilton were great. It was also nice that Arnold didn't take the movie completely over the moment he appeared. And last but not least I think the REV-9 was quite neat, an infiltration robot that was actually good at infiltrating places compared to the Skynet models. And actually capable of smalltalk.

At least that is my opinion just now, right after seeing it. On the other hand, I walked out of Genysis with a smile on my face, so that doesn't mean anything.

Amusing thought:

Assuming that Legion is American and that the vote to authorize the construction of Legion was fairly contested, you could probably make a solid argument that Carl successfully made Judgment Day happen.

John Connor, God's gift to leading men, could have been elected as senator anytime after 2014. Assume the vote that led to Legion was done in 2017 or later, it could be possible that the difference between the T2 Good End and the Dark Fate path is basically "Carl finds Connor in 1998, killing him and preventing Connor from filibustering Legion when he becomes a senator."

Back