Tenki no Ko - Makoto Shinkai's New Movie, July 2019

Watching Tenki no Ko in theatre was among the first things I did when I returned to my homeland. Landed today, watched it the next day. I rated it 10/10.
>I got goosebump when Great Escape played during Hodaka and Hina escape from Weather Gods. It was WOAHHHHHHHHHH!!!
>Taki appeared: theatre-wide fangirling intensifies
>Mitsuha appeared: THEATRE-WIDE FANGIRLING INTENSIFIES x 10

Watching Tenki no Ko in theatre was among the first things I did when I returned to my homeland. Landed today, watched it the next day. I rated it 10/10.
I only spotted Mitsuha myself, during that shopping scene... I think in the snow? Been a few weeks since I've seen it now. Where did Taki appear?

One of Hina and Hodaka's clients was Taki's grandmother. Taki appeared and had a long chat with the main cast; he even prepared them some watermelon. You can't miss him
Aah, him. Somehow I did miss him, as I totally didn't realise it was Taki over some random Japanese grandma and her grandson :p

Last edited:
Ooh, him. Somehow I did miss him, as I totally didn't realise it was Taki over some random Japanese grandma and her grandson :p
Might wanna fix that borked spoiler.

There's a "Tachibana" nameplate somewhere in that scene for the confused.

Also, Tessie and Sayaka's backs can be seen at the flea market and Yotsuha was one of the students admiring the sunshine after Hina's sacrifice.

Might wanna fix that borked spoiler.
Didn't mean to give the impression it was borked, as I'd done the oooh thing for the spoiler name to signify my surprise/understanding.
I'm immediately thinking of the Ghost in the Shell mecha, but doubt you mean that. Where is this Tachibana person from?

Didn't mean to give the impression it was borked, as I'd done the oooh thing for the spoiler name to signify my surprise/understanding.
I'm immediately thinking of the Ghost in the Shell mecha, but doubt you mean that. Where is this Tachibana person from?
I mean your quoting of Slayer's post. That's what's borked, because it's not hidden whereas his original post was.

That's Taki's surname. Have you forgotten?

Makoto Shinkai blog - New Year 2020
Makoto Shinkai Interview with io9
io9.gizmodo.com

Makoto Shinkai on Your Name's Success, and the Climate Message at the Heart of His New Movie

Your Name, to the delight of millions the world over, made huge waves in 2016—putting esteemed anime director Makoto Shinkai on the international map, despite a career in the industry spanning over two decades. How does an artist follow up a career-defining piece of work? For Shinkai, it all...

On a similar note, we have an interview with Makoto Shinkai by Io9.

Here's two of the most interesting bits:

io9: There's a lot of similarities between Your Name and Weathering—they're love stories with similar fantastical elements, and share the idea of running away to the city to start a new life. Why did you choose to make a film that feels in many ways, similar to your prior work as your first big project after Your Name?

Shinkai:
The first thing I wanted to do with Weathering was to make a film on the theme of the weather. Firstly, because I'd been watching the news of the more and more damage caused by the weather in Japan, and also because it's just such a familiar part of everyone's day-to-day life. The weather—whether it's raining or sunny—can have an impact on the way you feel that day. So I thought that it would be a theme that would really appeal to audiences.

io9: The fantastical themes of Weathering are much more grounded compared to Your Name. What inspired that choice?

Shinkai:
I wanted to find the balance that would make the story really accessible to the audience, and that's how I came up with this depiction [of Hina's powers]. With Your Name, it was about body swapping. Which is obviously impossible, though still very enjoyable! But in this film, Hina is what we call in Japanese hare-onna—which is quite hard to translate, but I've gone with "sunshine girl"—but it's a very, very common concept in Japan. Lots of people might call themselves Sunshine Girl or Sunshine Boy or a Rain Girl or a Rain Boy, and it just means that when you're with that person, it usually ends up being sunny. But in this case, we've taken that and obviously, this girl is a 100 percent sunshine girl—so it's definitely going to be sunny when she's around. And so, it's something that is quite easy, I think, for a Japanese audience to go along with.

I really liked this movie

The ending is a strong rejection of a trope I hate, sacrificing a Virgin to appease an angry Volcano. So naturally I'm a supporter of Hodoka's actions.

That ending tho! Just saw it tonight. Didn't blow me away as hard as his last movie, but I still loved it.

This is the kind of movie which shows just how Bullshit the oscar's best animated film category is by being absent.

I'm heavily amused by how happy the ending was compared to the implications of the ending. It's like if a buddy comedy had a freeze frame ending with the headline 'US DECLARES WAR ON IRAN' or a romance's ending shot overlooking the Amazon. My suspension of disbelief just is not strong enough for me to think of Tokyo being flooded as anything but an utter catastrophe that could very well break Japan as a country.

That said, I entirely agree with Hodoka's actions at the end. People should not be not be forced to make sacrifices like that on an individual level. But it kind of muddles this message in how it portrays the abnormal weather. That is to say, it implies that it is an entirely natural event that humanity just has to adapt to. To me, this comes off as more than a little denialist in tone, and a massively unhelpful theme to have when most coastal cities are going to be in very real danger of within a few generations. When most of Australia is on fire, I just can't fully enjoy a film that says that all the weird weather things are the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

The ending would have been stronger for me, I think if the film had instead directly acknowledged humanity's role in climate change, and made it's theme of not sacrificing the young for the sins of the rich and previous generations more explicit.

We might not be able to stop climate change at this point, but we still need to take action. And that means a collective effort by society, not sacrifices by the individuals within it.

Now that I'm done tearing a film I loved to shreds, I just like to say that I hope Makoto's next film could be something like an expanded version of voices from a distant star, or something else with Mecha. The genre needs a shot in the arm, and Shinkai working his magic there would be a big help.

This is the kind of movie which shows just how Bullshit the oscar's best animated film category is by being absent.

I'm heavily amused by how happy the ending was compared to the implications of the ending. It's like if a buddy comedy had a freeze frame ending with the headline 'US DECLARES WAR ON IRAN' or a romance's ending shot overlooking the Amazon. My suspension of disbelief just is not strong enough for me to think of Tokyo being flooded as anything but an utter catastrophe that could very well break Japan as a country.

That said, I entirely agree with Hodoka's actions at the end. People should not be not be forced to make sacrifices like that on an individual level. But it kind of muddles this message in how it portrays the abnormal weather. That is to say, it implies that it is an entirely natural event that humanity just has to adapt to. To me, this comes off as more than a little denialist in tone, and a massively unhelpful theme to have when most coastal cities are going to be in very real danger of within a few generations. When most of Australia is on fire, I just can't fully enjoy a film that says that all the weird weather things are the media making a mountain out of a molehill.

The ending would have been stronger for me, I think if the film had instead directly acknowledged humanity's role in climate change, and made it's theme of not sacrificing the young for the sins of the rich and previous generations more explicit.

We might not be able to stop climate change at this point, but we still need to take action. And that means a collective effort by society, not sacrifices by the individuals within it.

Now that I'm done tearing a film I loved to shreds, I just like to say that I hope Makoto's next film could be something like an expanded version of voices from a distant star, or something else with Mecha. The genre needs a shot in the arm, and Shinkai working his magic there would be a big help.
I don't think it's quite climate change denial considing Tokyo is literally mostly underwater at the end. To me it's less climate change denial and more "don't put the responsibility for Climate change on the individuals"though it gets muddled since the event is basically treated more like an earthquake, something humans have zero control over, than a storm caused by climate change.

I don't think it's quite climate change denial considing Tokyo is literally mostly underwater at the end. To me it's less climate change denial and more "don't put the responsibility for Climate change on the individuals"though it gets muddled since the event is basically treated more like an earthquake, something humans have zero control over, than a storm caused by climate change.
I get that, but I really have a hard time not seeing it as climate change related when the imagery of a flooded city is so closely related to the effects of climate change.

And while it's wrong to blame the average person just trying to get by for climate change, there are large groups and powerful interests that have been making the crisis worse and need to be held to account for their actions.

Me, I'm of the opinion that if a society cannot survive without sacrificing individuals, said society doesn't deserve to survive. It deserves to disappear and be replaced.

One mustn't forget that every society is made up of a collection of individuals. Big picture made up of little pictures. Focus too much on the big picture and you lose sight of the little ones.

In unrelated news, I'm hearing that the overseas premiere of the movie cashed in 3 million in only two days. As expected of quality material.

In unrelated news, I'm hearing that the overseas premiere of the movie cashed in 3 million in only two days. As expected of quality material.
oh boy I can't wait for hollywood to make a shitty live action remake to soothe it's inferiority complex.

Back