I'm sorry, but if people are being massive douchebags and harassing an author to the point that they no longer feel even the slightest urge to write anything, then I think they have the right to take their works offline.

Fans do not own an authors work.

If you dislike this then you are free to copy (copy+paste to notepad works) your favourite stories to offline backup yourself. As long as you don't distribute these works I don't think anybody will notice and you get to enjoy those few chapters knowing that nothing more will ever be written.

It is the author's prerogative to remove any or all of his fiction for any reason at all. There is no disputing that.

And I can definitely understand an author getting upset because a bunch of nitwits think that they are somehow owed something.

Still, those annoying readers are but a minority. The author is punishing all of his fans because of a vocal few.

Still, it's his right.

Last edited:
The movie was good, but they needlessly changed a lot of things. They also cut out stuff that was actually important.
I'm glad I didn't watch it then. That would have ruined the memory of the book for me. From what I remember, the book was a great character study of Ender and the situation he found himself in.

Last edited:
My first exposure to written science fiction was discovering a copy of Andre Norton's Star Man's Son in the local public library in the summer after third grade. Up to that point, my literary diet had been mostly classics like Kipling and the like. After that, I tended to max out my weekly checkout privilege by pretty much ravaging through the entire section of science fiction in the library that summer in a massive binge reading. (A really massive case of hayfever kept me mostly indoors during pollen times up to puberty, when the allergies seemed to mostly disappear.)
I think that Andre Norton was the author responsible for me getting into fantasy books. Loved her work, and had a lot of her stories at one point. I'm very sad that my library went bye bye with my divorce. Rough times can cause loss of lots of personal items.

It's a shame I can't find her books in the local library. I've often wanted to save up some money and try hunting down a used paperback book store to find a lot of the books I used to read when I was younger. There are a lot of them I would love reading again.

I'm gla I didn't watch it then. That would have ruined the memory of the book for me. From what I remember, the book was a great character study of Ender and the situation he found himself in.

As I said, the movie was also good. But they removed or changed more then a few important plot points. The entire virtual reality game bit was cut out, even though that is important. And for reasons I'm unaware of, they decided to make Ender and the other kids aware that they were directing actual battles, when his not knowing that until after the fact was an important plot point.

As I said, the movie was also good. But they removed or changed more then a few important plot points. The entire virtual reality game bit was cut out, even though that is important. And for reasons I'm unaware of, they decided to make Ender and the other kids aware that they were directing actual battles, when his not knowing that until after the fact was an important plot point.
That's what happens when you change media. Even when the author is engaged to work with the film, the differences in the media itself can direct a lot of changes to plot simply because it's portrayed differently.

When it comes to a story being told by a new author in a new media, all bets are off on if it will match. Plot is off the table as being important in those cases.

Weren't they still not aware of that until after? I'm not sure, that's how I remember the movie. With Ender being horrified about what they did at the end.

In the movie they get told up front what's going on when brought in for the 'advanced training'. In the book they're left in the dark, and are given the impression it's a high stakes graduation exercise with the truth not being shared until after the final battle. At which point a horrified Ender travels to the homeworld of the species he just wiped out, and makes an important discovery. Which then leads into Ender becoming the first Speaker of the Dead.

In the movie they get told up front what's going on when brought in for the 'advanced training'. In the book they're left in the dark, and are given the impression it's a high stakes graduation exercise with the truth not being shared until after the final battle. At which point a horrified Ender travels to the homeworld of the species he just wiped out, and makes an important discovery. Which then leads into Ender becoming the first Speaker of the Dead.
I clearly remember the same horrified reaction at the end, when the kids celebrates their victory and then everyone breaks down after being told that no, that was all real. Even though I haven't actually read the book. Were there more movies than one?

Been a bit since I saw the movie, but I believe in the movie it's the moment when it finally sinks in after everything's said and done that Ender becomes horrified. But because they got told earlier what's going on, it lacks the shock value from the novel.

That movie was garbage... Full Stop. Heresy, I tell ya.

I am glad I am not the only one here that saw one of the original trilogy in theaters - my first movie was Return of the Jedi.

I'd say my interest in fantasy began with books on mythology, which I was reading at seven at the latest. The first "proper" fantasy book I read was the Belgariad by Eddings, I think, or at least it's the one that stuck in my memory. First sci-fi was likely one of Heinlein's ("Have spacesuit, will travel" being high in the list), though I recall being fond of Clifford D. Simak as well.

Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Dad owned two original galleys by ERB. Damaged though they were by time and circumstance, they were awe-inspiring, with ERB's hand-written notes on the margins.

To jump into the current discussion, my first introduction into Sci-Fi was Star Wars. Watched 4-6 when I was about 4 or 5, then immediately began to read as many science fiction books as I could find. Then I discovered fantasy, and I have yet to stop on either genres.
Outside of the discussion, I have just read through Taylor Varga up to the recent update and I shall now proceed to read my way through all 150 omakes. It has taken me around 4-5 days for the story, I wonder how long it will take for the omakes.
Wish me luck!

I was rereading some of the earlier chapters, and at one point Danny Hebert says this to Taylor:

"Anyway, the DWU can't be a gang in this city despite your cutting words. A proper Brockton Bay gang has Capes. We don't." He grinned at her, apparently pleased with his argument."

Literal LOL.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind the thread that we have a Discord server for exactly these kinds of conversations. The link to which can be found on the first post as well as several sigs. :D

I was rereading some of the earlier chapters, and at one point Danny Hebert says this to Taylor:

"Anyway, the DWU can't be a gang in this city despite your cutting words. A proper Brockton Bay gang has Capes. We don't." He grinned at her, apparently pleased with his argument."

Literal LOL.
Are you telling me Taylor has been going around collecting capes and inducting them into the DWU just to win an argument?

I'm okay with this.:D

Last edited:
Speaking of books, is there a Canon favorite book for Taylor?
I would assume that English teacher Mom would introduce her to good books, but I don't recall anything in Worm about it, offhand.

Lizard/demon/Math Girl reads symbolic logic textbooks, mostly to correct them.

I am playing mobile Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes and they just gave young Lando from last movie and his droid L3-37 with Falcon Millenium. I guess that it answers to what happened to Leet but leave Uber's fate mystery.

I was just rereading segments of this fic and I found something I missed the first time.

Any of you remember the PHO where the Simurgh offers up a picture of a 'smug lizard'?

It just so happens that's the PHO segment that introduces Metis, the lizard version of Tattletale, and how is Tattletale frequently depicted...?

I was just rereading segments of this fic and I found something I missed the first time.

Any of you remember the PHO where the Simurgh offers up a picture of a 'smug lizard'?

It just so happens that's the PHO segment that introduces Metis, the lizard version of Tattletale, and how is Tattletale frequently depicted...?
Headcanon: Simurgh didn't actually plan this, and at the time she was freaking out because she didn't plan this what the fuck kinda coincidence is that

Headcanon: Simurgh didn't actually plan this, and at the time she was freaking out because she didn't plan this what the fuck kinda coincidence is that
The Simurgh plans everything. It's just that the lizards sometimes get in the way and end up crossing the plans a bit, so people get lost.

Also, MP and/or our most recent moderator to join in; the mod speak appears to be in the wrong threadmark catagory. I think it's supposed to be in staff, not the actual threadmarks? You may want to shift that over.

Back