Is Unlimited Blade Works gone for good, or will Shirou eventually be able to access it again as he gets a handle on the changes he's undergone? The whole bit with the furnace and earlier with structural grasping seems to imply that it hasn't been working because his internal world is fundamentally different now and thus his old methods of projection are failing him because of it.

Man, the moment he manage to recreate Tracing as an Heretical Charm, his power level is going to go straight up into Overpowered.

Which is probably going to be a good thing if he intend to survive Creation.

Is Unlimited Blade Works gone for good, or will Shirou eventually be able to access it again as he gets a handle on the changes he's undergone? The whole bit with the furnace and earlier with structural grasping seems to imply that it hasn't been working because his internal world is fundamentally different now and thus his old methods of projection are failing him because of it.
The problem is that he no longer has the original channels that his magic circuits were. He now has a horrifically greater potential to channel magic in a super purified form. When he tried to use magic it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I suspect that now he has the proper idea of just what the hell he is doing he is going to advance in leaps and bounds.

The problem is that he no longer has the original channels that his magic circuits were. He now has a horrifically greater potential to channel magic in a super purified form. When he tried to use magic it was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I suspect that now he has the proper idea of just what the hell he is doing he is going to advance in leaps and bounds.
One problem is he's lost a 'lot' if not all, of his blueprints, so he's a lot more limited in what he can Trace when he gets it back up and running. It would require either getting access to Artifact weapons, or Gate of Babylon to get it back up to par.

Senbrek, at his end, was far from a typical Blood Ape. He did not reach his advanced age by being reckless. His amorality and brutality were practical, effective, and refined. He intimidated, assaulted, and sacked as needed. Far more importantly, he kept his head down and refused to become engaged in affairs outside of his single alleyway avenue. This last point, more than any feat of strength, is what prevented the greater misfortunes of the Demon City from raining down on him like so much acid from the skies.

Unfortunately for his sense of self preservation, Emiya Shirou shared little of his caution, moderation, and restraint.

-Coelica, the Frozen-Light Chronicle, seventh soul-progeny of the Unlimited Bladeworks

[*****]

I'm telling you, it's easy. Plenty of demons down on their luck squatted in my territory and downright thrived for years sometimes before I caught them. Eventually I learned all the tricks and how to spot them, but that doesn't make them useless.

They just up and shared with you?

Well, no, I thrashed them once I caught them, and the smart ones shared tips and sometimes made a living for themselves under me afterwards.

And the dumb ones?

There were no dumb ones by the time I was done with them.

Charming.

Shirou had been mentally debating Senbrek on the merits of his unique approach to life in the city as he walked through Greyfalls. The gorrilla apparently lived in a somewhat depressing-sounding city, from what Shirou could parse of the flood of contextless details. A brutal social caste system, an overall dog-eat-dog society, and some sort of glaring all-penetrating light that couldn't simply be the sun. As Senbrek lacked frames of reference for sizes and scales that Shirou was more familiar with, the new Exalt decided to attribute "buildings as far as the eye can see in all directions" as "being surrounded by skyscrapers and never actually leaving the area they enclosed around you," or something.

Senbrek's public works resume was more or less summed up as 'beating the hell out of all trespassers until they provided value to the public.' In this case, he was the public, and the only value he seemed to seek was 'reduction in trouble in his alley.' On pointing out that Senbrek himself sounded like trouble, the ape quickly dismissed the notion. "First circles don't count. Trouble means trouble for citizens. No one cares who I thrash so long as it isn't anyone important. And in my alley, no one thrashed anyone important." The demon paused for a moment. "Usually."

Further inquiry on this topic was tabled for a time as Shirou had entered a drinking establishment of sorts. He spotted a sign soliciting kitchen work and slipped inside along with the evening crowd. A quick word with the bartender had him sitting off to the side as the cook was busy with the dinner rush and couldn't evaluate him yet.

Various types filed in, apparently fresh off work. Mostly rougher looking men, Shirou assumed they were blue collar types and relaxed. Senbrek saw fit to quiet down for a while, and so they sat in silence until the doors opened to admit a couple women. Other than seeming slightly out-of-place, Shirou didn't really note anything worth mentioning about their arrival. This lasted until Sebrek apparently tapped into his sense of smell.

You wanted to avoid trouble, right? Then you should leave.

Huh? They don't look like trouble at all.

Well, of course not. But they're scared. They're not comfortable, and the horny types are going to- here we go.

A few patrons turned to the ladies and began speaking.

What? They're getting hit on in a bar.

This isn't the kind of bar you go to to get hit on. Well, not that kind of hit on, at least. And those two don't smell like whores. At least, they don't have a dozen other scents on them. Humans all smell the same.

That was rude.

Hey, whoring is a perfectly respectable and lucrative business back home. Entire races do it!

Shirou didn't quite know how to respond to that line, so he ignored it. Instead, he watched the women get less and less comfortable with the attention they garnered, and finally acknowledged that he didn't like the direction things were going.

After a few dismissive words were flung around, the crowd was made aware that they were waiting for someone. When one man reached out to grab the taller of the two regardless, Shirou stood up. When she reared back for a slap, he started forward.

Oy. You're not just going to - you said you'd avoid trouble!

Instead of responding, Shirou walked up behind the man getting slapped. As soon as he pulled back his fist for a strike of his own, Shirou grabbed it and held it back. Chatter went quiet. Before the man could speak, Shirou opened his mouth first.

"Get out," he growled.

Mentally, he recoiled a bit. He didn't mean to say exactly that or use that tone, but the damage was done. He was apparently a lot angrier than he gave himself credit for.

The man's friends had started to surround him, and he quickly went down his mental list of ways to diffuse the situation nonviolently. Surprisingly, Senbrek's opinion was succinct and accurate.

The only way you're dodging a fight is by scaring them shitless, and for now you don't look like much. Your new power would work, but that would just bring even more trouble.

So, he ignored the man's retort, he dismissed his friends' threats, and focused solely on the inevitable incoming strike. It came from the side, and he flexed the right muscles at the right moment to all but nullify what would have been a good sucker punch.

Now that he hadn't thrown the 'first punch' he began acting in self defense. The man whose arm he held tried to twist away, and was flung into one of his approaching companions. A few brutal punches intended to knock out the man who hit first landed true, and Shirou didn't even bother to watch him fall before turning to the final one.

Or, well, what would have been the final one, but a full-fledged bar fight seemed to be breaking out.

Why doesn't anyone ever accept that they've lost? Rejection, fights, it's all the same. Jealously, petty vindictiveness. People are always the same, and always create more victims.

He was almost operating on instinct now. All people in the tavern were either aggressors or bystanders. Bystanders took priority over aggressors. An aggressor about to take a hit took priority over the one hitting him. Shirou had mentally tagged and prioritized the whole population of the establishment and launched himself into the fray, already determined to end this conflagration without fail. Depressingly few patrons stayed out of the fight, and in a few short minutes Shirou was the last man standing. Catching his breath, he looked around.

Broken chairs, tables, and dishes littered the room. Virtually all the fallen men were at the ends of the trajectories Shirou had put them on, groaning or simply unconscious. As his mind replayed the fight, he realized that the majority of the men had eventually zeroed in on him, and he methodically put them all down. He was not proud to note that as he inched closer and closer to being overwhelmed, he had been gradually more brutal in his methods.

It . . . it was like when he was a kid all over again, beating up bullies in alleys on the way home from school. Rage and single minded determination won out over his decades of swordwork, archery, and magecraft. Suddenly he felt sick.

Ah, boss, we're missing those girls and a couple of the guys that bothered them.

And the sickness was dismissed as Shirou blinked and verified Senbrek's words. By this point the owners had come out and started yelling, but he paid them no heed as he ran outside and looked around. If he was lucky, he'd see the girls running away in terror, or they'd be long gone, and that would be fine. If he was unlucky . . .

He rushed down the road a bit and ducked into the closest alley. Sure enough, both women were on the ground and two of the less injured men that started the fight were bearing down on them, their intentions clear. Their heads jerked around to face Shirou, and he could see tiny motes of green light reflected in four pairs of eyes.

Why?

I beat them.

I saved people from them.

They were already utterly defeated.

What is it going to take to stop them from doing this again?

He clenched his fist in frustration, and blinked as he felt a pop.

He looked down.

He was at the back of the alley, kneeling down.

To his left, slumped over, was the barely-breathing body of one of the two men. In front of him were the two women, pushing themselves back against the wall in abject terror. At his feet was the second man, and in his hand was the mangled and pulped ruins of the second man's elbow. The entire scene was lit by hellishly green light, and he could barely make out the details of the injuries he apparently inflicted in the wildly moving shadows.

He looked up at the terrified women, then back down at the- his victim.

"No."

Boss?

"No. I won't let this happen." He immediately began tearing a strip of the man's shirt off for use as a tourniquet. Frisking him revealed a knife and a flask. A sniff confirmed it was strong alcohol.

"Good enough."

Pouring some on the knife and wiping it would have to do. He looked at the remains of the arm and chose the best place to cut, severing the limb cleanly with a concave swipe of the blade, allowing him to pinch spare skin shut over the stump of bone. He idly noted that it should have been much more difficult to do so with just a knife and his bare hands. Tying around and around, he cut off the bleeding as best he could with the cloth and eyed the actual wound. He had no needle and thread for stitches.

Cauterization, then.

One problem. He needed two hands to hold the wound shut. He glanced up at the women. They looked more confused now than terrified.

"One of you come here and hold this shut, please."

Startled at being addressed, they gaped at him for a moment. The shorter one recovered first.

"Wh- what are you doing?"

"Saving his life."

"Why?"

The taller one was pulling on her companion's sleeve, apparently trying to awaken her to the questionable wisdom of speaking to the monster in front of them. Shirou shoved those thoughts aside and replied.

"Because it's the right thing to do."

"But you just-"

"I know. I was angry, and then I woke up. Will you help me, or not?"

No threat in his words or tone. A surreal calm filled him. He would deal with the details of whatever just happened in good time. For now, there was a life to be saved, and he would not, would NOT, break down just yet.

The shorter one hesitated, and just as Shirou decided it was a lost cause the taller one moved forward. She splashed her hands with some of the liquor from the flask and grabbed onto the man's arm. At Shirou's mildly surprised look she glanced away and mumbled.

"Pa- Father always said that a good hard drink would clean wounds, hands, and souls, at home or on the battlefield."

Shirou just nodded and let go, allowing her to secure her grip. Grabbing the flask, he poured the rest on the wound carefully, making sure not to get any on any clothes or the bandage. He tossed it aside and sighed.

Green fire, eh?

Senbrek didn't respond.

He looked each woman (girl? he couldn't tell) in the eyes deliberately.

"Do not panic, whatever you see."

Then he held up one hand and forced power through, and flames answered his call.

[***]

It took focus, but eventually he reduced the flame to a single finger. If he had to describe it, back when he pushed prana out of his hands to make (or more accurately, draw out) a sword, he used his whole palm and all five fingers. What he was doing now was like trying to project a dagger balanced on one fingertip, so with his 'new' power he managed a single jet of flame from one finger.

He then looked the taller woman in the eye and she nodded, and he dragged it across the wound, searing flesh shut with a single motion. She let go and let the stump rest on the dying man's chest, and backed away to her friend.

The other man's breath caught short, and Shirou turned his head. He made eye contact, and hardened his expression as he stood up. He loomed over the second man and frowned.

"You know a doctor?"

The man returned his stare without moving. Shirou's gaze ran over the body. Bruises and abrasions, but nothing lethal. Nothing keeping him from walking beyond the shock of being slammed into a wall.

His options were all bad. However, he was still pragmatic. If he was a monster to these people, he could use that to save a life without flinching. He grabbed the man's shirt and lifted him up without effort.

"Stand up."

He let go and the man stayed standing. However, the shifty eyes and balance told Shirou he was about to run at the first chance he got. So, Shirou punched the wall next to his head and let green fire scorch the wall a bit. Suddenly he had the man's full attention.

"You will pick up your friend. You will take him to a doctor. You will do these things, or else-"

He slowly backed up and knelt down, picking up the severed arm. The man did not take the opportunity to run, probably because doing so would bring him closer to the glowing embers on the wall than he wanted to be.

Shirou held up the arm and flared the fire from his hands, melting and burning the limb in front of the man's eyes.

"Do you understand?"

Nodding. Rapid, terrified nodding.

The women looked on as the ruffian picked up his fallen friend and limped out of the alley. Shirou spared them a glance and waved past him to the exit.

"Go. You don't want to get caught near me."

They edged around him without a word and made haste to leave.

Only once he was certain they were gone did he finally fall to his hands and knees and throw up.
You forgot to add a tag here.

.......and to post the last chapter here too. And on FF.net too....

You forgot to add a tag here.

.......and to post the last chapter here too. And on FF.net too....
Threadmark added.

Regarding the other stuff, well, there's a reason why I don't update my stuff on SV anymore. Let's just say that once I saw how the sausage got made around here, I lost enthusiasm for supporting such a process. However that's not a topic for discussion in a thread like this.

I do keep my SpaceBattles threads up to date, generally, since that's where I got my start. I try to update FFN when I get sizable enough material to put in a single post there.

If this is being updated elsewhere, can you link where this is happening?

They shall kneel, and thus they shall be saved.

-Kanmuri, the Heavy Crown of Salvation, eighth soul-progeny of the Unlimited Bladeworks

[*****]

It was professionally done.

The meeting was in a fancier restaurant, a little ways off from the nearest buildings on any side. The entire building had been reserved, and only the gang representatives and the staff were present. As a few of Shirou's men had been present for similar meetings in the past, they knew the general layout and how much manpower was likely stationed at the various entrances.

As such, when the appointed time came, the former Purple Hawks swooped in from every door at once. Guards were blackjacked or drugged into a stupor with darts. What few that managed to resist were unable to subdue their attackers, given the armor and equipment each assailant wielded. The staff had been tied up and assured that no harm would come to them. Their cooperation (and silence) was encouraged by the individual bribes of silver slipped into their bindings as they were secured. The Hawks had secured the perimeter in only five minutes with the men inside none the wiser.

Just as some of the other gang leaders were beginning to complain about needing refills for their drinks, Hawks burst into the room from all directions. The guards present were quickly overwhelmed, and the mood went from panicked to calm as soon as the leaders saw that everyone at the meeting was being restrained instead of killed outright. They bore their wrists being tied with quiet dignity, and watched as the rest of their men from outside the room were marched in, similarly bound and weaponless.

When Shirou walked in, they didn't recognize him or react beyond taking a good look at his face. He walked up to the first prisoner- one of the guards. He drew one of his swords. The man's forehead broke out in sweat. Shirou stared at him dispassionately.

"Submission, or death?" he asked.

The hapless thug glanced around. His boss' face gave no clue, and his peers in the other gang were as clueless as he was. The few men that had tried to make some noise were pushed down and threatened by their assailants, so for the time being the room was silent but for the heavy breathing of the prisoners and captors.

"I, uh, submit?" he ventured.

Shirou nodded, and cut his bonds. The man's right hand when to his left shoulder, and he winced. Then he turned an incredulous stare at Shirou and opened his mouth to speak.

"Stay quiet," Shirou muttered, before stepping to the next man and repeating the question.

The rest of the prisoners were somewhat confused, but as the next minutes passed, watched as their young assailant asked the question and freed each person that submitted. Then, after the sixth or seventh one, the leader grimaced, repeated the process one more time, and gave off a glint of green light. Most of the prisoners didn't catch it, however.

As he moved on to the tenth, the air around him became hazy with that same green light. At that point, the whispers began in earnest.

"It's him, the guy."

"The one the bosses staged this meeting to deal with?"

"Holy crap, he moved on all the gangs at once? He's fucked!"

At this point, the eleventh man given Shirou's choice smirked at the question and replied,

"Go fuck yourself."

Shirou merely looked at him for a moment, then twirled his sword into a reverse grip and swung for his neck.

"Holy-fuck-I-SUBMIT-" the blade stopped, just barely embedded in his flesh. No one watching could tell if the strike had been pulled before or after he had opened his mouth. Shirou pulled his weapon back, allowing a thin line of blood to well up. The man gasped for breath, and the glow around Shirou intensified a bit more.

After that, no one else chose death.

[***]

By the time Shirou got to the first of the color-gang bosses, he was blazing with an aura of green light.

"Submission, or death?" he intoned.

The older man, boss of the Yellow Lizards, creased his brow and made an attempt to stare down the towering, baleful presence before him. Was he this big, earlier? The gang leader tried to figure out the brat's game, but no matter how he looked at it, it was suicide. Apparently all he had to do was say that he submits, and then he's free. Apparently he'll be allowed to walk away and regroup. It can't be that easy.

"Sure, kid, I submit," he offered. As soon as the words left his mouth, a searing pain erupted in his left shoulder. Lines of pain traced through his entire body, and then vanished instantly, leaving only a throbbing reminder under his left sleeve. He then knew, he knew, with absolute certainty, that if he stepped out of line he'd be roasted from the inside.

Huh. Kid's tactics make perfect sense after all. He smirked, then. It's not like his circumstances had changed much. Someone else just took hold of his leash, in the end. When the boy (well, he was fully grown, but still looked too young to be pulling off something this big) got to the next of the bosses, the Yellow Lizard leader made eye contact and nodded slightly. Soon, the five remaining bosses had each accepted the supernatural domination.

[***]

A bit later, the dinner meeting resumed as planned, but with Shirou taking the place at the head of the table. He opened discussion in an unexpected way.

"So, I'm a bit of a naive fool regarding this sort of thing, but I want to get this out in the open first: believe it or not, I'm not here to screw you guys over, or ruin you all, or otherwise make you suffer. I just used the only option I had open to me to get you all off my back."

The six bosses exchanged glances at that, and without speaking a word, seemed to come to an agreement. The man in yellow spoke up.

"Well, boy, this could have gone a lot bloodier than it did, and we all know the hold you have over us, so I think we can all agree that barring some kind of magic releasing your grip over us, you're more or less safe." For now, the unspoken promise finished.

Shirou nodded. "Right. Which is why I'm going to be cleaning house a bit while this is all fresh. Over the next couple weeks you're going to funnel every last man in your groups by me, and they are all going to get the same deal. Or, well, they're just going to do the submission part. No need to threaten them with death if they're just following orders from their existing bosses. Once every single member of the seven colors are beholden to me, I'll be deciding our next moves. With advice, of course."

The old men exchanged glances again, and this time the one in green spoke up. "Since your little trick is compelling loyalty, I think it's relevant to your interests to let you know that you're not the only person that has held all of our leashes in this city."

Shirou's expression shifted visibly, and the bosses all felt a mild desire to scoot away from his direct scrutiny. "Oh?" he intoned.

Taking a breath, the green man continued "You are aware of the three Chosen of the Dragons who more or less control Greyfalls, correct?"

Shirou pressed his lips together in a thin line. He had heard talk of dragons, dragon-blooded, Chosen, and other such things; from context, he realized that they were so ubiquitous to this place (if not this world's) daily life that to ask the questions he had (beyond what Senbrek had already answered) would have outed him as an outsider-beyond-outsiders. He considered his words carefully, in that light, before he spoke. "To be honest, I hadn't really paid much attention to them before or after arriving here; from the perspective at the bottom, one dragon is the same as another."

The muted chuckles affirmed his guess; for the purposes of this group, 'Dragons' could be substituted for 'Plutocracy' in his vocabulary.

The man in green nodded with the chuckling and continued. "Well, the one in particular you need to know about is Nellens Rombulac, the Satrap."

Shirou's head tilted the slightest degree. "He's the, uh, regional governor from the mainland, right?" He hadn't been completely deaf to the world the last couple weeks.

"Right. His life has gotten tougher as the political waters around here stirred up, and as a result he needs some muck-dwelling scum like us to take care of things that can't be done in the light of day."

Shirou scratched his head. "But you're all supposedly anti-Realm freedom fighters."

The man in red scoffed. "Well, of course. The monthly Realm 'patriotism' gatherings Wild Grove throws in the holiday palace are actually a place where second tier nobles plot treason and dissent. Everyone's claiming to be the opposite of what they are. What we do for Rombulac is keep the soldiers in check; we control the places they drink and fuck. We can bribe grunts, blackmail officers, and otherwise interfere with all of the shit General Cathak Kitono tries to pull inside the region. His business should be outside the walls, not in here. We make ourselves a tidy little profit along the way, and keep our heads attached to our necks in the meantime."

The blue gang leader's headdress shook as he laughed. "Yes, and look how well that turned out! Instead of an army unit or police or tax inspectors or angry monks, we were brought low by a simple man on the street we picked a fight with." He nodded to Shirou. "You hit us from the one direction we hadn't actually accounted for when this whole alliance of gangs was formalized. The Satrap was surprisingly forthright about the nature and frequency of certain crimes he was willing to overlook - as long as said crimes were carried out above a certain standard. The man's a bureaucrat to the core, but I'll be damned if he didn't just have us all arrested one day, sit us down, and lay out exactly how he wanted to restructure our operations so the everyone involved profited. Then he let us go free."

Orange waved a hand dismissively. "The big thing was for us to clean up the streets. This is the worst part. That little shit you thrashed? Was an enforcer. It was his job to clear our scum that did things like assault women at bars before the guards got involved. The biggest change I am hoping for with your little magic trick, kid, is culling all the idiots who break the rules. We can't have a knife to the throat of every piece of scum in town, but apparently you can!"

The discussion rolled on, and Shirou found it more and more difficult to focus. The big point was organizing the order each gang's members would be filed by him to submit to his power. When the talk wound down, he excused himself, sent his own men home, and left. Many details of the meeting floated in his head, but the vast majority of it didn't require direct action; once his power was applied to all members of each gang, dissent and rebellion were all but impossible. As he walked down the quiet streets, he had a sudden thought.

I know that the color gang leaders all introduced themselves, but why can't I remember any of their names?

He considered it for a while, and then suddenly realized he was at the door to the shop.

Eh, it isn't that important.

When he made it back to his room, he realized he hadn't stopped to sleep in more than a few days. It just hadn't seemed important, and he never felt tired the whole time. He still didn't, actually.

"Well, whatever. Should probably do it anyway, just so I can get back to my routine."

He undressed and laid down, imagining the countless masses of subordinates he'd recruit the next day until he fell asleep.

[*****]

Rin slammed her mug down with a bang. "Damned idiot! Fool! Imbe- be- beshile!"

Saber sighed softly, then turned to the bartender. "Hotaruzuka-san, it's time we settled our tab."

Hotaruzuka "Neko" Otoko looked up from her phone. "Huh? Oh. No. Hell no. New rule: Emiyan's girls do not pay to drink in my establishment. Get her home, Saber-san."

Saber bowed in thanks, then guided a drunk and distraught Rin out of the bar. As she compensated for her companion's stumbles, she reflected on the contrast in Rin's behavior over the last few weeks.

[***]

In the initial couple of days after Shirou, Sakura, and Shinji vanished into the void, Rin was relatively calm. Their respective thaumaturgic links to Shirou were unbroken, which meant he was still alive. It just meant that he had to be tracked down from whatever 'perverted sex dungeon her cracked-in-the-head sister had dragged him off to.' Saber decided to let her vent, knowing that her harsh words meant little. She was angry, she was focused, and she had no time to speak with Lord El-Melloi II when he arrived after the completion of his own battle.

Saber had explained the situation to him, and he left without incident, saying Tohsaka had some time to spare to seek Emiya before the Greater Grail of Fuyuki would need to be addressed in earnest. He mentioned his intent to research the Matou library now that its owner was dead before he went.

Shortly after that, the green flares had burned out both ladies' connections to Shirou, and Rin fell into despair.

That despair lasted about three days, and then she pulled herself together and met El-Melloi II at the Greater Grail's cave. He compared notes with her, and as they both suspected, the Matou contribution to the system wasn't too involved with the power source. That was all Tohsaka work. The actual controls for the Greater Grail were of Einzbern make, but as they were somewhat universal Rin and El-Melloi had little trouble pinpointing various details. Saber merely stood guard during this time, and they were able to focus while knowing they would not be interrupted.

After a week of regular visits to the cave, the two magi declared their work done for the moment. They had cut off the flow of the leyline's energy to the ritual foundation, and had gauged that the irregularly high speed at which the leylines had been drained for the last twenty years meant that there was no chance of a build-up and explosion in the next few decades. Indeed, had they not done this those leylines might have burned themselves out in the attempt to ignite the Sixth War. Apparently the Einzberns had decided not to participate, as with no Lesser Grail ready, the Command Seals had yet to appear on anyone's hands.

After that business was taken care of, El-Melloi II had returned home to London and Rin had allowed herself to break down. During the day she managed her affairs professionally, and then at night, she'd do everything she could to take her mind off of Shirou . . . which most recently tended to involve alcohol in sufficient quantities as to black her out. However, each morning she'd get up and act normal, continuing research or managing finances, never allowing her distress to compromise her work ethic.

It was a sad truth that the most traumatic experience they went through each day was eating. Every bite was a taunting reminder that Shirou was gone.

[***]

As Saber guided Rin to her bedroom (at Rin's house, as the Emiya estate was currently too painful to inhabit) and started readying her for sleep, she did her best to reply to Rin's drunken ramblings. Rin was strong, and would likely bounce back soon, but her guilt at failing to inform Shirou about Sakura - which led to the hesitation, which lead to his fall - was still crushing her. Still, this pattern wasn't good for her health, and if there was no improvement for another week Saber decided she would begin to take measures.

"Shtupid Shinji should have told ush he was gonna backshtab the shtupid wormhead - aah, Shirou, jus' come back. I promish I won't tease you as mush, I'll do anything you shay -ah, ouch!"

A flash of green lit the room for a moment, and then both women were staring at Rin's shoulder. Where once was the link to Shirou's budding of her Family Crest, now was a softly glowing sigil of two crossed swords. Rin looked like she was trying to focus on it with bleary eyes.

Saber frowned. It didn't make sense. Still, it was magecraft, was it not? With the faintest ember of hope in her heart, she whispered, "For the third time, Emiya Shirou, I affirm my oath to you."

She flinched at the stinging sensation that accompanied the second green flash of light, and saw she had a matching mark to Rin's on her own shoulder. She knew then, somehow, that if he willed it that mark would explode. That, and if she somehow betrayed him, he would know. She considered those facts for a moment, then decided to worry about them after she had spoken to him. It's not like she could even conceive of a scenario in which she would purposely forswear herself, betray Shirou, and directly invoke his wrath.

At the sound of Rin shifting on the bed, she looked up-

"Anfang."

Rin grit her teeth as her family crest lit up on her arm and bore the pain as alcohol was slowly burned from her system. When the crest faded once more, she caught her breath, then turned sharp eyes to Saber.

"I don't care what this is or how it happened. I don't even care that it's apparently a bomb. It's magical. It's linked to Shirou. That's all that matters. I'll sleep later; I have work to do." She hopped off the bed, threw on a large sweater, and marched out of her bedroom.

Saber just smiled, then headed downstairs to the kitchen to prepare tea. It was going to be a long night.

[*****]

Shirou sat on a fancy chair, ready to begin accepting the service of the rest of the color gang members. As he considered how to most efficiently 'process' them all, he had a thought.

The last thing I remember is lying down to fall asleep.

He blinked, heartbeat picking up as he began to panic. A reflexive use of power told him the precise time of day. Early afternoon. He was definitely in one of the gang's buildings, not Thundercloud's shop. He didn't remember waking up. He didn't remember coming here.

A man poked his head through the curtains at the far end of the room. "Ah, sir? That was the last one. Did you need anything in there? A snack? Some booze?"

Shirou waved him away, and the man vanished. He then put his face in his hands.

Apparently I don't even remember magically conscripting a couple thousand men.

SENBREK!

Yeah, Boss?

What the hell is happening to me?

I've been telling you this whole time, Boss. You need to get to The City. Your power is growing, but it's probably not growing 'right.' Or, well, it is, but it's gonna be flakey when you're fumbling with new magic. Like the charm you just accidentally learned.

What charm?

Nightmare Fugue Vigilance. It's one of the basic ones on my list. You don't need to sleep. Ever! But if you do, it sucks and you have nightmares, and you don't actually get rested. Ah, but apparently everything gets dreamlike and faded and crappy.

Everything?

Everything. Apparently you only mostly learned it, or almost, or something. You remember your nightmares?

Shirou tried to. All he could recall were flashes. Waking up in a cold sweat. Getting dressed. Whipping up something quick to eat, the street, the doors, then -

• hundreds of supplicating faces, expressions frozen in fear -
NO!

He shook his head. Senbrek. Is this kind of thing going to get worse before it gets better? Why didn't you warn me? He was hurt, he had to admit.

I, ah, didn't actually realize you were stumbling into the charm. You seemed pissed off at those guys, and you were busy the last few days. I didn't even suspect you had been tapping your power for it until this morning, and wasn't sure until just now.

Great. Is this like when I hurt that guy? When all this started? I . . . lost control for a bit.

Pretty much. You need the lessons on using the power, or the power will just use you.

Shirou sat in silence for a few moments. He had saved that woman, but after all the escalation, after everything that had happened since, he was more or less certain that he himself was becoming a liability for Greyfalls' peace.

Senbrek. How do I get to The City?

Countless Sunny Days 1
[This was written long before FGO EoR3]

It was a quiet dinner at the Emiya estate, with the only real noise being Saber finishing her third bowl of stir-fry. Rin sipped her tea quietly, and Shirou simply sat, relaxed, knowing that the serenity of the moment was about to be shattered by his own hands. He inhaled.

"Tohsaka. I'd like to discuss worst case scenarios."

Rin set her cup down softly, raising an eyebrow. "Oh? Of what variety?"

Shirou took another breath. "Situations in which prana becomes a tactical concern."

She sighed. Shirou didn't blame her. By 'tactical concern' he meant situations where the three of them were freely spending energy to fight for their lives. The unspoken consequence of overspending, even if they were to survive a given threat in the short term, would be Saber's dissolution as Rin failed to maintain her upkeep.

Rin's capacity as a magus was chronically strained so long as she maintained Saber in this world. In peacetime there was no problem keeping her around, but she was unable to actually utilize her full potential for her own projects. This reflected . . . somewhat poorly on her performance at the Clock Tower, but as her theoreticals and simple proof exercises were flawless, she had little to fear in the way of outright expulsion.

As such, if the three of them were in a combat situation that couldn't be efficiently solved by a few swings of Saber's weapon, then there was a very real risk of writing a check they couldn't cash, as far as expenditures went. This became an absolute risk if Rin needed to cast in any battle where Saber actually had to invoke Excalibur. Lewd jokes aside, Shirou only had so much Prana to contribute to the cause, and there were no convenient 'Ether' items to drink like in video games. Saber still retained the ability to consume souls, but a situation in which she would even consider that act would have to be dire indeed (and involve, at the very least, extremely non-innocent souls). It was more or less removed from the table as an option completely.

So, 'tactical prana concerns' more or less meant situations where Saber's loss was likely, one way or another. Saber herself had finished her bowl and was watching the exchange quietly, unwilling to speak up on a topic that had been the subject of heated debate between the three of them a few times. Saber had made it clear that there was only so much risk to Rin and Shirou she was willing to tolerate, after which point (energy be damned) she would save them with her full strength, accepting the consequences without complaint.

Rin and Shirou had more or less stalemated with her, and had decided to research other solutions to this potential problem independently; which generally meant Rin alone, as magic energy logistics was literally her family discipline.

Rin's expression turned awkward before she responded, "Did you have an idea?"

Shirou nodded. "Yes."

"Am I going to want to hear it?"

"You'd rather die."

Rin's expression shifted again, and her brow creased. "Wait, what kind of option could it be? I'm rather inured to pain, and the only thing I could imagine wanting to die from these days is embarra-" she trailed off, her eyes beginning to go wide.

"Kaleidostick Ruby."

"OH HELL NO YOU STUPID BLADE BRAINED-"

"I'll use it."

Rin's tirade cut short. "Excuse me?"

"I am willing to personally test it, and I would like to ask Saber to do so as well. Even if you're not, it's a perfectly useful option, and if it's a choice between shame and Saber's companionship, I will face any number of ignominies." As he finished, Rin's nose twitched.

Saber blinked. "Shirou-"

He nodded to Saber. "Will you give it a shot? I can't really see it being worse than some of the stuff Tohsaka has put you through in bed."

Saber's blush made Shirou's face redden a touch in turn. "Of course, Shirou. While I am unwilling to put your lives before my own, I have no qualms with a private attempt at invoking the Stick before the two of you. I am sure it knows that, unlike Rin, I would crush it without hesitation if it caused me to shame Britain or my crown - the same limits I hold Rin to." That Rin was now pinching her nose shut and breathing heavily.

Shirou felt a little weary at Rin's action and expression, but soldiered on regardless. "So, is this idea acceptable?"

Rin nodded, her hand not leaving her nose. "Yes. Yes it is. Now get me a tissue, please."

[***]

The previous (and only) time Rin had displayed Ruby, she had been transformed into the cat-eared cat-tailed magical girl Kaleido-Ruby and more or less been completely mortified afterwards by her behavior. Shirou found Rin's reaction to be endlessly amusing, and Saber now had ammunition with which to fire back during some of Rin's more needling teasing moments. Honestly neither of them were too disturbed or offended by Kaleido-Ruby; it was Rin's own pride that tormented her so much afterwards (which was precisely the Stick's goal, they figured). Said Stick had once again been incarcerated in Rin's old chest, locked under numerous seals and curses.

The point of the Stick was to provide excess prana from parallel worlds; much like the legacy weapon of Zelretch himself. It was something of a failure in application, however, as far too much of the control over the Kaleidoscopic principles involved was left to the device's entirely unnecessarily flamboyant personality.

Ruby had been unbound and set on Rin's dining room table, taking a moment before it twitched and came back into full consciousness.

Now, the errant Mystic Code wiggled and stretched, as Rin and Shirou looked on impassively. Saber lurked at the edge of the room, behind Shirou, in case things went wrong. When it finished what to all eyes seemed like a full set of morning calisthenics, it turned to them, balanced on its end, and tilted its head at them curiously.

"Well, as grateful as I am for the opportunity to be out of that miserable box once more, I assume that there is a reason? One greater than my dearest Master's undying shame?"

Shirou held back a grimace. "Kaleidostick Ruby. With Rin Tohsaka's permission, both Saber and myself would like to attempt to use your power."

The stick straightened immediately. "Oya? Oyaoyaoya? What is this? Are you not terrified of what I might clothe you in? What I might have you say? Even though it's not actually me but a completely. Natural. Parallel. Version. Of. Yourself. That is actually wearing and saying those things?" The stick hung its head sadly. "Did that nasty Master of mine invoke some terrible blackmail or threat, giving you only the choice of compliance or using me for her amusement? How unyouthful! How unjust! But fear not, young man, this Kal-"

"Actually Ruby, this was my idea."

The stick drooped a bit. "Oh? How boring."

"Well, we need options for emergency prana, and my pride is a small thing to discard if it can keep Saber with us."

The stick turned and hopped across the table to consider Saber. "Why not have her wield me? She's cute enough! Even if a smile would suit her better!"

Saber's customary resting (bitch)face twitched, a corner pulling upwards the slightest bit. "I will graciously accept that compliment. Generally I do smile more these days, but this is a stressful case. For your information, I did indeed plan to take a turn along with Shirou."

"Oh, splendid!" The stick did a little backflip, landing on the table with perfect grace. "Well in that case, I guess I have no choice but to make you a magical boooooy~!" Ruby leapt at Shirou's face, which he covered with his arms, leaving his open hands free for Ruby to slip into.

A flash of light later, and Shirou was now half naked.

Correction, Rin thought, he was now half covered. Gone were his jeans and t-shirt, exposing instead his chest, with a white upper gi fluttering off his shoulders down to the floor around him. His left arm and shoulder were covered in what looked like an exquisite red sleeve, held in place only by a single strap under his right arm. His circuits were glowing visibly for a few inches below the fabric's coverage. His chest was as defined as it normally was, but the outfit emphasized it more than usual.

Rin stood up silently, stepping around the table to examine him in earnest. Saber also seemed curious, craning her neck and taking a good look from her spot. He shifted nervously as Rin looked him up and down. His pants were also of the traditional japanese combat variety, with equipment pouches on the hips. He had a single katana sheathed at his side. Rin nodded once, then sprouted a catlike smile.

"Well, then, what are you called?"

The (magical?) Shirou's head tilted slightly. "Uh, Tohsaka? Did you hit your head? It's me. Emiya Shirou. Do you feel dizzy? Lightheaded? Amnesia could be a sympto-"

Rin waved a dismissive hand "Okay he's just a normal Shirou."

His eyebrow twitched. "A normal- you've called me lots of things in the past, Tohsaka, but 'normal' is actually new."

Rin tilted her head. "Huh, I guess it is. Well, now you can be considered an example of a baseline classification! Congratulations are in order then, because after all these years of trying you've finally been promoted from 'hero' to 'statistic'!"

He smirked bitterly for a moment at the jab, then sighed. "You shouldn't say things like that when Sakura could hear you, or Rider for that matter-"

"Rider?" Saber cut in.

The katana-Shirou's breath caught in his throat, and faster than Rin could react he had slid free of his chair, knocking it away as he ducked, spun, and made space. It was a smooth, impossibly smooth, motion. His face was suddenly white as a sheet, and his hand was on his blade's hilt.

He and Saber stared at each other for a moment, then he let out a breath. "You . . . are alive. Is this a dream?"

Saber didn't know how to respond to that, words stuck in her throat. They both jumped at the sound of a sharp clap from Rin, however.

"Right, so, you two are going to spar!"

Neither of them commented on the small trickle of blood running down from Rin's nose.

[***]

A minute later they were in Rin's backyard. It wasn't a dojo, but so what? Rin ushered then each to a side, then unfolded a chair and sat on the edge of the impromptu arena.

"First one to bleed, yield, or damage my property loses! No complaints! No excuses! No waffling, noooow FIGHT!"

Saber had simply smiled, shaken her head ruefully, manifested Excalibur, and raised her guard. Katana-Shirou, on the other hand, looked like he had lots of questions, but then decided to give up and go with it. He tossed his sword aside and spread his hands, manifesting Kanshou and Bakuya.

Rin tossed a peanut at him. "Boo! I wanted to see you wield a katana!"

"I'm not even going to ask where you got those. In any case, these are the only blades I can bring to bear again Saber, as they are the cornerstone of the style he developed over his entire life with the sole purpose of defeating her!"

Saber dashed forward and they exchanged a few strikes before she hopped back once more. "Hou? I guess that admitting that would have been a bit embarrassing during my clash with him. Now I'm curious about how well he would have fared against me had he still had a Master . . ."

Katana-Shirou's brow creased a bit, and he opened his mouth to say something, then apparently decided against it. Instead, he threw his blades. Saber moved forward faster than they could converge, bringing down a somewhat telegraphed diagonal overhead strike - and Shirou responded just as Archer had to the same motion, parrying with a fresh set of blades, which Excalibur then bit deeply into, ruining them.

Instead of dissolving, though, they remained wedged on the sword. In the instant of confusing this bought him, Katana-Shirou ducked, kicked upwards at the backs of both of his blades, then was spinning on one hand he had placed on the ground, somehow managing the gymnastic agility to spin in place and deliver a double footed kick to Saber before she could either reverse her blade or shake it free.

She flew back a few yards, but landed on her feet unscathed. The ruined Kanshou and Bakuya had vanished during her flight, and he had a fresh pair in his hands once more. However, Saber noticed his face had changed.

"Shirou. Why are you smiling?"

Said smile bloomed into a familiar smirk. "Because I have already won."

Meanwhile, Rin was muttering to herself. "He's moving like Rider did. Then in that War did Shinji win? And not kill us? Or did he lose Saber there too like an idiot . . ."

Saber, however, was not amused. "It seems like this version of you didn't spend enough time with me in the dojo. I see I will have to correct your attitude." Her lips pursed a bit. "I wonder how many Shirous out there need a good refresher beating."

Katana-Shirou just snorted, and she charged once more. However, in the second she closed the distance between them, she saw him rearing his right arm back from an extremely usual committed blow. Sensing a trap, she shifted her guard to counter the other sword, but then felt her dominant arm yanked aside, bringing Excalibur with it. She threw herself down and to the side reflexively, as she felt a blade pass over her head. She rolled, then regained her feet.

"What base trickery was that, Shirou?!"

"Tch. She would have fallen to that stunt, but I guess you're still a bit sharper. Oh well. It's still my win."

And suddenly, Saber felt the blade stabbed into her arm, and the chain that led from it back to Shirou's. With a flick of his arm he recalled it, and she could not deny the slight spray of her own blood that hovered in the air between them for an instant. Grimacing, she readied a complaint-

"Now now, Saber, are you really about to criticize me for using an invisible weapon?"

-and her teeth clacked shut.

Rin simply gave a long, slow clap.

[***]

After that, Rin tossed them water bottles and they took a moment to drink. As Katana-Shirou gulped his down, she tilted her head innocently. "So, are you banging Rider?"

He immediately choked and sprayed water everywhere. Rin held her poker face while internally cackling. He looked oddly at her, then sighed. "Are you stupid? I'm with y- wait. Of course you wouldn't know, this is some kind of Kaleidoscope thing isn't it. Wait, did you make me hold Ruby in thi-"

Light flashed, and a very confused Shirou was suddenly holding his water bottle, with Ruby sitting at his feet. The stick sparkled a bit, then announced "Mirror overlay cancelled due to self awareness of overlay! Risk of trans-Kaleidoscopic fanservice contamination imminent! Emergency stop successful! This facet has been permanently locked! Please do not leave any clothes or possessions inside the Mirror World as you leave, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Tohsaka Lake!"

He frowned. "Tohsaka Lake?"

Rin shook her head. "Ignore her. Anyways that version of you beat Saber in a spar on the first try!"

"Oh? He was that good?"

Saber's brow creased. "Rin, don't tell him-"

"Well, he didn't seem that much better than you, but we all know how you like to hide your tricks." Rin shrugged.

Saber sighed in relief.

Rin then grinned and spat out "He beat her by projecting Rider's invisible chain dagger!" as fast as she could.

Shirou's eyes went wide. "Oooh. I never thought of that."

Rin didn't see the perfectly sculpted wave of what started as a half-bottle's worth of water until it had already crashed into her hard enough to knock her out of her chair. Shirou's jaw dropped as he looked first at the sizable puddle Rin was now lying in, then at Saber. The Servant merely raised the empty bottle to her lips and blew the wisp of vapor wafting out of it away with a puff of breath.

Rin sat up with a groan. " . . . worth it!"

[***]

Late that night, she bolted upright in bed and covered her face with her hands. "Oh my god instead of making them fight I could have asked him so many things! I'm such an idiot!"

Senbrek's general situation had remained unchanged. He still interpreted his situation as being in a small room, with a single wide window revealing Shirou's field of vision to him. He wasn't particularly uncomfortable or otherwise lacking for needs; this entire system had been engineered too well for that. He could still get bored, though, and had resigned himself to such when he ceased advising his host about the various options he had regarding his little escalation situation.

Unfortunately for Senbrek, Shirou's default actions had begun veering at around the same point Senbrek had shut up. Where the coadjutor had expected a spiralling staircase of self-sacrificial moves culminating in a hopeless assassination attempt on the satrap, Shirou had instead gone full Malfeas and recruited a small army of rough and tumble minions, then doubled down and secured even more. If such behavior had not been, by nature, intrinsically pleasing to the King of the Yozi, Senbrek would have pushed for Shirou to leave sooner; as it stood, however, he figured that Ligier would be pleasantly surprised by the progress in Greyfalls. After all, a giant pile of loyal minions in one of the biggest cities in the Direction had to be good.

That said, the current direction things were going seemed to be leading to full scale armed conflict and insurrection, as opposed to a quick and dirty hit on the city's leaders. All of Shirou's progress would be wasted if the local legion burned this whole operation down, after all. While not the most subtle of operators in the short term, Senbrek knew what looming trouble looked like, and at the rate Shirou was changing things, trouble wasn't so much looming as it was charging directly at them from the front and both flanks.

What had upgraded the situation from 'trouble' to 'double trouble' was Shirou's wavering sense of awareness. Nightmare Fugue Vigilance had him operating unconsciously at certain defaults; while those defaults were perfect for running his little operation here, Senbrek had learned enough about his host to bet that the way things were going, fugue-Shirou was likely going to do something that awake-Shirou would strongly regret.

Shirou also seemed to have made that connection, and for the first time had directly requested Senbrek's assistance in reaching The City. While Senbrek was not above taking quick advantage of such an opportunity, he decided that his long-term relationship with Shirou was more important than an extra day of delay, and resolved to do this the slow and socially proper way.

First, boss, you need to get a map. Then you need to get your affairs in order. Say your goodbyes, set up channels of communication, and bring a week's worth of food.

It's only a week's journey?

Nah, it's more than that, but the charm I'll teach you along the way will make food a non-issue.

Okay, got it.

[*****]

When Shirou hunted down Thundercloud at the forge, he couldn't read the expression on the old smith's face. Taking a nervous breath, he raised a hand in greeting.

"Hey. I'm here, awake, and in the moment."

Tension Shirou hadn't noticed faded from the older man's shoulders in a heartbeat.

"Oh, that's good to hear. You've been spooky the last couple of days."

Shirou nodded sheepishly. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I'm going to get something done about it."

Thundercloud eyed the pack Shirou was wearing. "Elsewhere, it's looking like."

"Yep. I don't want to fall asleep and then wake up suddenly ruling half of a burning city. If I'm going to make dumb and reckless decisions, I want them to be my decisions, and not . . ."

". . . whatever inside you is giving you your abilities. Makes sense to me."

"So, I'm going on a journey. I'm ordering my affairs around here, and hopefully the city won't be uprooted while I am out. The gangs are under my thumb; if you need anything at all, just ask them." Shirou reached into his jacket and pulled out a scroll case, then held it out. "This is a compilation of most of the metallurgy I know. I've been adding to it the whole time I've been working with you. I've tried to describe many of the metals I know of that I never saw in your shop; if they have names in Riverspeak then I don't know them."

Thundercloud carefully accepted the case with both hands, eyes wide. "This thing is probably priceless, you know, based on what little I saw you do already."

"Probably. But I think you'll be able to use it to improve things in this city."

"I'll do what I can."

Shirou turned to leave. "I'll hopefully be back, but don't hold your breath. I'm told that the people that can help me are . . . quite far away." He gave a wave, and then left without another word.

[***]

There were a couple blinks of awareness; Shirou knew he spoke to at least one of the leaders of the gangs about how he'd contact them in the future, and then he was outside the gates of Greyfalls.

Senbrek, how bad are these lapses going to get?

Now that you aren't interacting with subordinates, it should ease up. The less your situation resonates with Malfeas, the less that charm should overtake you.

Malfeas?

Right. King of the Yozi, The Demon City. He reached through me to make that crater back in the Fens, and he is also the place we are going. All of the other Yozi live inside of him.

You lost me.

It's complicated. You know how Creation is flat? Well, Malfeas isn't.

I . . . didn't know Creation was flat.

That, uh, huh. I guess it makes sense, considering how you got here. Right, I'll leave the geography lessons for the trainers. More importantly, whip out that map. We're heading for a particular valley in the Hundred Kingdoms, where a huge battle took place long ago. Once we're there, you'll put away the map and get lost.

What?

I don't make the rules, that's how it works. Get to a desert or other place of lifeless desolation, get lost, find yourself in Cecelyne. From within her, travel for five days with the intent of reaching the Demon City, and you shall arrive at its walls. I'm just leading you to one of the the closest places of desolation I was informed of in the area.

Shirou pulled out a food bar similar to hardtack and bit off a chunk while mulling the information over. If this whole world was operating on a level of mystery an order of magnitude or more above Earth's then Senbrek's explanation was feasible. He carefully decided not to ask who, what, or where 'Cecelyne' was. Yet.

Suddenly aware of how awful the flavor of his ration was, he made a face.

Yeah, no time like now to get started on that charm. So, that thing tastes shitty, right? That's perfect. Don't focus on the thing you're eating, focus on your hunger. It's less that you're consuming food and more that you're tossing in raw materials. You don't need to be fixated on your meat body - not that there's anything wrong with enjoying having a solid, living body, mind you - but in this case, you want to let go of that and focus on transmutation and conversion rather than digestion.

It didn't take much prompting for Shirou to let his mind recalibrate as he walked. The blandness of the wafer alone drove him to distract himself from the act of eating, and deluding himself into reimagining the process was much smoother than his Gilgamesh impression earlier. After a while, his entire reality narrowed to walking down the road, occasionally shoving a bar in his mouth, and exchanging the occasional word with Senbrek. The consumption was . . . ancillary, but all of the related ideas like taste could be redefined. He was now more aware of the uniform texture, the quality of the bars, and the fact that they were indeed packed with nutrition - nutrition that he knew he was bypassing, on some level.

Try that fruit on that tree we're passing.

Without much in the way of second though, Shirou reached up and plucked the mentioned brown orb from a branch as he walked by. He took a bite, and idly noted the bitterness as he swallowed.

Congratulations, you just took a clean bite out of an anvil nut.

Shirou blinked and his stride came to a halt. He had been aware that the fruit was relatively hard, but now that he was looking at it, it was no fruit at all. On impulse, he channeled power into his hand and crushed it, sending bits of . . . shrapnel? Flying everywhere. Based on how hard he just had to squeeze, there was no way he could have bitten through it without thinking . . .

You can now eat anything. Literally anything. If you can bring it to your mouth, you can take a bite. If you can take a bite, you can chew and swallow, and it counts as food. Your sense of taste adjusts based on what you are eating, and you can more or less handle handle anything.

For a moment, Shirou considered this, then realized he no longer had to prepare his own food to his own exacting standards. That would save him time. Time, and money. But -

WIll I still be able to enjoy normal food?

Oh, sure, you can let it lapse, it's not permanent or anything.

He sighed with relief and resumed walking.

[***]

As Shirou crested the final hill and began his descent into the valley, he suddenly understood why the ancient battlefield remained a place of desolation all these centuries.

From his elevated viewpoint, he could see a thick mist resting down below, blotched with patches of bright violet, with occasional flashes and tiny arcs of lightning jumping between them. As he entered the mist proper, he saw that no plant life could grow in the mist, which in turn prevented animals from thriving.

Based on what Senbrek had told him, high-intensity pockets of Essence like this would normally mutate local wildlife to adapt, but this area was an exception; the ghosts from the battle were eternally repeating their conflict, even after they had apparently been reduced to the flashes of light and power that he saw from above.

When the mist grew so thick as to hide the sun in the sky, Senbrek spoke up.

Okay, flare your anima. That should keep them back long enough for you to lose your way.

With an internal push, Shirou's surroundings lit up with baleful green light. He watched as various ancient implements of war (or those fragments of which remained, at least) tarnished, corroded, and speckled themselves with brass in real time as he passed. A sense of malevolence he hadn't even noticed seemed to lift from the area, leaving him alone with Senbrek, as he explored the valley and absorbed himself in scanning over the various remaining melee weapons he could find.

He wasn't sure how long he had done so, walking from one spot to the next, but at some point he stood up from pawing over a broken spear, stepped backwards, almost lost his footing in soft sand, spun around, and saw nothing but clear air and silver dunes. Spinning once more, the weaponry he had just been looking at was gone, as was the mist.

That was . . . horrifically disconcerting.

Yeah, generally, you have to be travelling, at which point you're in the Endless Desert before you know it. You probably made the transition a bit ago, and dragged a bunch of the stuff you were examining in with you.

Well, crimes against archaeology aside, what now?

Ah, well, we could just walk for five days, or you could beckon a mount and ride for five days, or attract attention and hope we can get a ride on a sandship for five days. The time we're travelling won't change.

Shirou pondered the options, and then decided he'd rather not coerce another sentient, sapient demon (as Senbrek informed him many demons were) to carry him, and figured he also didn't want to bother any other travellers. A steady, slow walk it is.

Your call, boss.

[*******]

In Rin's study, a dozen different devices suddenly reacted; spinning, reorienting, or otherwise informing anyone there to hear that something had changed. Jolted out of her reading, she took off her glasses and grabbed one particular bauble that had initially been her greatest hope for finding Shirou, but wound up being useless. Now, holding it up against one of his old projections, she watched as the needle twitched and pointed in a particular direction, where before it had only lazily spun.

Grabbing a mundane compass, she took note of the bearing, then dashed upstairs to her phone.

[***]

"Right, it seems to be working now. Right. Sure, I can wait."

A minute passed.

"Yours did, too? Perfect. May I ask?" After a moment, Rin furiously scribbled some numbers.

"Okay, got it, thanks Luvia. I'll let you know what I find."

Rin hung up the phone, too energized by the situation to appreciate how civil her last two interactions with Luviagelita Edelfelt had been. Her rival had been utterly sincere with her offers to assist in the search for Shirou, however hopeless the prospects had seemed at first.

For some reason, earlier in the day, all of Rin's instruments suddenly picked up a trace of his presence. She had a bearing.

After confirming that Luvia's similar instruments had done the same, she had two bearings. With a bit of travel, she'd have three - and an unmistakable clue pointing towards Emiya Shirou. As she slipped on a coat and dashed outside, she was happy to see that Saber had already warmed up the car.

The Endless Desert was, in a word, biting.

From the sharp cold at night, to the crushing heat during the day, the temperature was never welcoming. The licking of incessant dry wind and the tonguing of treacherous footing merely served to gradually soften him up to be swallowed whole.

Honestly, that metaphor would make more sense if I was hungry. Still, given that Cecelyne is apparently a sophont despite my doubts, I can't really dismiss it completely. That said, I feel more like a microbe than a morsel right now.

Senbrek was given a rather exhaustive set of points to cover during the desert trip; apparently the journey from this point was less dangerous than it seemed. Most of the living hazards could discern Shirou's (new) nature and choose to let him pass in peace. This was an expected occurrence, and had been accounted for in Sebrek's instructions.

Okay, listen up, because this is the stuff that will keep your ass alive in the City. There are two parts to it: First, don't piss off the powerful things that might choose to kill you on purpose. Second, avoid certain situations or behaviors that may attract beings that would kill you accidentally.

That sounds simple, right? Like, common sense? It's not. More visitors from outside get pasted by the simple, everyday crap than by going out of their way to attract trouble. You also get an extra dose of danger on top of what I had to deal with; you're going to be important. You'll be rubbing shoulders with more individual Third Circle souls than most serfs will ever encounter in their lifetimes. I guess you'd call them nobility, in human terms. They're bigger, stronger, more powerful, more intelligent, and generally more capable of taking offense than your normal everyday citizen or serf.

So, the generic rankings are Serf, Citizen, Unquestionable, and Fetich/Yozi. In Creation terms, the former three are respectively Demons of the First, Second, and Third Circles. Fetiches are the primary Third Circle souls of their respective Yozis, and more or less speak with the same voice, authority-wise.

There are a number of Yozis, also known as Yozi Princes. Each one has numerous Third Circle souls representing aspects of their being. Each of those third circle souls has seven Second Circle souls that define them in turn. All three of those are capable of generating Demons of the First Circle; in other words, chumps like me. These serfs are tool-races; each crafted to fill a specific purpose in a specific way. This can vary, however.

Blood Apes like me? We're more or less intended to act as big, hairy, angry muscle. We are big for serfs; we are good at beating the crap out of other serfs, but beyond that we don't specialize in or crave to do much other than crack skulls. I think we're more intended to simply exist in a way pleasing to Malfeas than to accomplish anything in particular. The best contrast would be Neomah. They are relatively fragile, and have one unique ability; they can take samples of flesh from different beings and create new hybrid beings. It's what they were made to do, it's generally all they desire to do.

For your purposes, you'll be somewhere in between Citizen and Unquestionable. So you'll only be beholden to Third Circles and Yozi Princes, respectively. Currently there are six Yozis involved in the Reclamation - that's the project that got you Exalted. You are only expected to obey those six Yozis and their soul hierarchies. Other Yozis would be free to interact with you - generally it would be wise to avoid angering them, but if they attempt to interfere with Reclamation business, you'll need to tell Ligier, and let the big guys sort it out themselves.

As a rule of thumb, when it comes to conflicting orders, anything from your patron Yozi or his Third Circles would have . . . let's call it a one half rank bonus over any others. So your patron is Malfeas, the Demon City. His Fetich is Ligier, the Green Sun. You'll know him when you see him. If other Fetiches or Yozis want you to do conflicting things, talk to Ligier. If, somehow, Ligier and Malfeas want you to do conflicting things . . . ah, well, let's cross that superheated brass bridge when we come to it. Pray it never does, as you'll more or less be fucked.

Shirou blinked attentively at that phrasing; Senbrek very rarely dipped into outright foul language for mere emphasis. Death, dismemberment, rape, and being eaten alive were all concepts that didn't even coax a 'crap' from him.

On that note, Third Circles are called Unquestionable for a reason; generally Serfs and Citizens are expected to obey them reflexively. There might be a bit of leeway between a given Third Circle and his own set of Second Circles, but if a given Citizen's patron's Fetich gives an order, they do it. Serfs aren't as attached to their progenitors; we'd take orders from just about anyone above us. There's a whole, uh, reservation system built in that allows for distribution of labor and such; when the Yozis lost the big war, that whole system was sort of co-opted by the victors. Demons of any Circle can be summoned by an Exalt with big enough chops, and bound to service the same way they could by their superiors at home.

That all sounds shitty, but there's sort of an upside. When a demon is bound like that, they are more or less immortal. If they get pasted while working, then they just pop back home no worse for wear. Depending on the day and the weather, entire neighborhoods of serfs will up and vanish into conscription like that just to dodge some passing hazard. The whole summoning thing is pretty clever; it generally reaches for a worker who is willing and able to do whatever job you want done - and you'll find few more willing than those staring death in the face. I guess that might be part of why life in Malfeas is so cheap; they want to keep us eager to jump into work as needed.

Shirou still had issues wrapping his mind around the idea of tool-(read: slave-)races while remaining impartial. Still he didn't leak that sentiment through to Senbrek; the last time he had there had been an even more awkward tangent about sapience, sentience, and free will that Senbrek wasn't precisely eloquent enough to express clearly.

It was difficult enough to consider being big enough to have multiple souls (which were, in turn, big enough to have multiple souls of their own). His reservations about that idea had been indirectly addressed via a different topic, however.

Ah, right, on that note. Keep quiet about coming from Gaia. Like, there will be some big-shots that will be able to tell regardless, but don't make a big show of it to everyone else.

May I ask why?

So, that big war that got the Yozis crippled and imprisoned? Gods overthrowing their creators? There were, uh, two sympathizers that defected. Gaia and Autocthon. Neither of them fought directly, but both provided sufficient support so as to help the gods win. Needless to say, neither of them are particularly well-regarded in Malfeas. Especially since a number of their siblings died in the fighting. He paused for a moment. Blecch, a lot of this crap was more or less burned into my head before I set off - I can't really tell you what I think about a lot of this because it never really occurred to me. I can keep you from getting killed in the City, but all this high level politics and grudge crap is above my head. Still, the message is clear: some big-shots would be willing to eat the consequences of pissing off Ligier if it meant they could stomp on some Gaiaspawn. Don't give them the opportunity to make that choice.

The context Shirou drew from that, of course, was that the spirit of his home world, Gaia, was in the same weight class as his new patrons. Based on some of his reading at the Clock Tower and Saber's recollections of Merlin's lessons, he knew spirits and elementals (once) were more or less her terminal interfaces across Earth, so the context of 'Demons' as Senbrek spoke of became much less disturbing. Still, as far as he knew, very few of Gaia's spirits had ever been fully self-aware beings. He reaffirmed his decision to withhold judgement, and marched on.

Oh, um, this last bit I just remembered. You've been straight with me, so I'll let you know. When I was offering the deal, I was empowered to offer the full backing of Ligier in service to any wish, desire, or agenda you wanted accomplished. You, uh, were an easy sell though, and I didn't even get that far. At some point, the boss is probably going to ask you about that.

I'm not really that concerned with it, though; I don't particularly want anything for myself.

Yeah, see, that's too good to be true. You're an odd one. You know it, I know it. For my own sake, if nothing else, I'd appreciate it if you tried to avoid making that obvious to everyone else in the City. Normal people will take an offer like that and ask for something.

Well, if you insist, I guess I could just . . .

Nope, stop that thought. You're an odd one, but you're not an idiot. Think for a second about who you're dealing with. Your first impression with this immensely powerful and resourceful being is going to be the request you wish for him to grant. The more highly he thinks of you, the better off you'll be. The better off you are, the better off I am. So what you have, in essence, is an opportunity to impress him with what you ask for - and how you ask for it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and based on some of the rumors I've heard, a lot of the fresh Green Sun Princes actually blew their requests on things they were slated to be handed anyways as part of the job.

You've put some thought into this.

Well, sure, given that you thought you were saving my ass when you took the deal. I won't call myself generous or noble, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that you literally walked away from that negotiation without the one thing you asked for.

So, what do you suggest I ask for?

Honestly? Something that would be both useful as hell for you, and that only Ligier would have the power to grant in all of Creation. I'm not exactly sure what you'd get the most utility out of, but I can help you with the second part.

Well, in that case, tell me more about Ligier then, and I'll think of some ideas.

Well, once you get past the fact that he's the heart of (and the primary light source within) Malfeas, his next claim to fame would be that he's the one of the finest craftsman among all beings in existence; like, you can count his superiors without using up all the fingers on one hand, and his peers would be just as few in number . . .

[***]

By the time the discussion about his request petered off, the last of the five days was reaching its end. The horizon in front of him, which had been blurry with heat and mirage during the previous days, had darkened. As he walked onward, it became apparent that the structure he could barely make out wasn't simply wider than his field of view; it was also taller. The sky didn't so much end above it as fade into being before it; the wall he drew closer to was so tall that the blue of the sky was visible in between himself and its most distant heights.

Looking up was a losing proposition, so he simply looked forward. More and more detail gradually became visible; per Senbrek's lecturing, he knew that Malfeas mostly consisted of basalt and brass, with the green energy only sparingly suffusing his form when idle.

Still, he had not been prepared for this. He had, academically, come to expect something on the planetary scale. After all, Rin had talked at length about the deeper nature of the World and the soul contained within. Still, he wasn't quite prepared to think in terms of 'a prison intended to hold multiple beings of planetary scale.' That is, multiple beings of planetary scale, each of whom were also nations unto themselves, population and all.

His mind hurt when he tried to conceive of the nature and scale of a place that necessitated an infinite and indefinite layer between itself and the place it was supposed to be isolated from.

Finally, he reached the wall. Black stone, flecked with brass. He reached out and placed a hand on it, finding it warm to the touch. Along it, occasional gleaming lengths of pipe would emerge from the rock and run for a while before seamlessly diving back down. Kilometer-length grooves as wide as a car would flash green for a moment before fading back to black.

Reflexively, he had attempted his new structural grasping trick, but it failed to connect. It hadn't worked on the sand of the desert, either; it succeeded only on the occasional anomalous structures and wildlife he had glimpsed during his walk. A Yozi Prince was much too grand to be comprehended by such a crude (and to be honest, rude) technique.

Walking parallel to the wall for a while, Shirou eventually clambered up a dune alongside the wall. At its peak he found a gateway of his height that led inside. It was a suspiciously perfect coincidence, but Senbrek dismissed it as part of the nature of the journey. The same thing happened to anyone who was free to be entering or leaving, no matter their size.

That said, those who were not free to leave seemed to only find doors that opened a mile above the surface of the desert; or for those breeds of demons that could fly, doors that opened into deep sand. Those were the nice warning signals, apparently.

Regardless, Shirou walked into a dimly lit tunnel whose texture and features were a micro-scale version of the walls outside. Per Senbrek, Malfeas was not free to manipulate the nature of his outermost walls that touched Cecelyne; they all had to conform precisely to the nature of the surrender oaths, allowing for free travel and access to those with the rights. As such, they were somewhat uniform and consistent; a rarity once one was further inside.

He went around a few corners, at this point only seeing via the glow of a few glowing green strips along the walls. The tunnel sloped downward a bit. Then a bit more. He had to stop and reassure himself that he was still on even footing before continuing.

Don't worry, it's a right angle, but you won't fall. Once you're in the City proper, out is down.

Taking that in stride, he kept walking, ignoring his inner ear's complaints as the path levelled back out. Then he reached another door like the one he had first entered, and pulled it open.

As his eyes adjusted to the brightness, the first thing he registered was the smell. Tarnish, and . . . not vinegar, but a sour, acidic tang that was barely perceptible underneath. Various other more or less common city-smells also assailed his nose, but the uniform undercurrent reminded him of some cross between a forge, a trophy room, and a deteriorating mine.

Next was the noise. He could faintly hear pounding, tapping, strings and brass. Turning his head, different melodies and rhythms speckled the soundscape like random splotches of paint. It wouldn't take long for this cacophony to be filtered out as white noise in his mind; the sound of inner-city car traffic was much the same.

That said, Senbrek had been very clear about one thing: if the sounds stopped, danger was almost certainly about to arrive. The number one deadliest environment in Malfeas was perfect silence. That was why countless demons drummed, played, and sang at all hours, endlessly, in all areas. If they didn't, they would likely not live long enough to regret failing to do so.

Senbrek's advice had been clear: if he ever found himself in silence, make noise; the louder the better. No one would be offended by this, and no one would question it. It wasn't improbable that he might be put into a situation where he was the only being in an area capable of making sound; the parties that thrived in the silence were known to invoke it supernaturally over serfs - leaving only stronger Citizens or Unquestionable free to shoo away the inevitable incoming Silent Wind.

These thoughts and all others sputtered to a halt once Shirou's pupils finished shrinking. He found himself on a city street, with various low and unassuming buildings lining both sides. Beyond, where he expected a horizon, he only saw the up-curving surface he was standing on fade into the distance in any direction. Aside from the gaping holes, of course, that revealed naught but a greenish haze reminiscent of a blue sky. Looking higher still, he finally began to appreciate some of the fragmented comments and comparisons Senbrek had made over the last few weeks.

Continents as clouds, connected by natural looking columns of stone that wouldn't look out of place in a cave . . . if the cave was as big as the sky. In the greater distance, Shirou could see through gaps in the layer far above him to see layers further still, each one more brightly lit than the last, speckled with various light sources. At a wider, 'diagonal' angle, he could see the 'surface' of the upper layers, as they were arranged above his current 'bottom' layer.

Or, well, he assumed he was on the bottom layer. He didn't really have any way of being able to tell from where he was . . . and he had no desire to peer off the edge of the City into whatever served for outer space.

Without really thinking about it, his power was flowing into his eyes. Before this moment he hadn't particularly lamented the loss of his more general magecraft, but with the vistas and scale laid out before him, his need to see eclipsed his restraint and common sense. A heartbeat of intense frustration later, he was picking out distant details he had been blind to moments before. His depth perception perfected itself once more, and for a few precious seconds he was seeing as clearly as he once did when he reinforced his eyes as a magus . . . and then the moment ended, his vision returning to normal.

Senbrek. I need to be able to enhance my senses for extended lengths of time. This is imperative. Tell me that my powers will allow for this.

Huh? Oh, sure. For more permanent body modification crap, think in terms of shedding layers of old parts to reveal new, better parts. For more medium-term enhancement, you'll want to work on supercharging bits of yourself with the green stuff. You can project it here and there okay, but to actually grasp it and hold onto it internally, you'll have to keep the right mindset. There's the next level to the expensive, generalized Excellency like what you just did, and then there would be specific charms for powering up individual bits of you for cheaper. Both of those combined should blow whatever you did as a mortal out of the water.

Right, thanks. I'll work on it.

In the handful of breaths he had been able to see perfectly, the enormity of Malfeas had finally sunk in. The myriad colorful and alien demons sprinkled liberally over the landscape didn't phase him at all, as Senbrek's briefing had covered that just fine. Where he was currently recalibrating his mind was his sense of physical law. There were holes in this inverted, hollow world which lead to space. The Demon City of Malfeas wasn't a world-spanning metropolis . . . it was a Dyson sphere. Never mind the size of the Earth, Malfeas as he currently estimated was stretched around a space about as wide as Earth's orbit of the Sun. Or, at least, it looked like it could be from what he could see from where he presently stood. He might have gotten the ratios wrong; he'd be more certain once he had developed the right Charm and used it from one of the innermost (uppermost) layers, where he'd have direct line of sight to the Green Sun and the most distant edge of the City, past the star and across the sky.

In the meantime, he needed to move on, as he realized he had started to attract a crowd.

A blood ape with much darker red hair then Senbrek had sported was apparently the first demon that had decided to confront the sky-gawking human loitering on his street. He heard the approach, looked at the oncoming aggressor, and had already formed a battle plan before Senbrek stopped him.

Wait. Don't move. Flash your caste mark at him . . . now.

Trusting in his Coadjutor, Shirou lit up his forehead. The lumbering brute lurched to a halt, and swallowed nervously before speaking.

"Apologies, m'lord. Thought you were a tourist. May I be of service?"

Deciding to follow Senbrek earlier guidance regarding serfs (for now), he affected a slight tilt to his chin. "This is my first time in the City. Where is the closest path up?"

The demon's eyes widened, and he bowed. "Right this way, m'lord. I will escort you personally."

He then turned, reared back, and bellowed "MAKE WAY TO THE TOWER FOR THE NEW GREEN SUN PRINCE!"

Shirou shook his head a bit to recover from the ape's deafening volume, then watched the aftershocks.

It was like a gigantic stunt display of dominoes had been tipped over. A ripple of murmurs and shouts washed over the street. The crowd which had been forming instantly parted, clearing a path to walk. The ambient noise along his intended path faded for the slighted moment, before quintupling in intensity. Windows were thrown open, and hundreds of curious and overawed faces peered down in wonder. A dozen sesseljae swarmed into the street, attacking litter, stains, and tarnish with zealous ferocity. By the time Shirou had reached any given spot along the path, every nearby surface was as close to pristine as it was possible to get.

Alongside and behind him, an honor guard of sorts spontaneously manifested. Onlookers that were a bit too curious were . . . strongly encouraged to maintain their distance. Despite his misgivings with just about every aspect of this treatment, Shirou held his tongue. Senbrek had been clear: serfs would act as serfs, and attempting to discourage or chastise this behavior would likely have them quivering in fear for their lives as opposed to accomplishing anything he wanted; indeed, even if he successfully prevented this group from attending him, he'd simply attract another one later, especially on such a low level of the city.

On that note, Boss, why did you show up down here, anyway? You were supposed to enter at the door closest to Ligier's territory, where the welcome crew was set up and everything. At this rate it will take a couple more days to reach his place.

Honestly? When I was entering, I was thinking that I wanted to see the City like you saw it.

Huh. I guess that makes sense. Well, no need to worry, it's not like that was mandatory or anything. Just, the one thing it was was safe. These scrubs around you all mean well, sure, but they won't be able to help you in the face of anything remotely serious. Keep your eyes open, and your ears sharp.

So noted.

And so, the spontaneous parade procession made its way through wide streets, narrow streets, straight streets, and winding streets, heading ever-closer to the connecting column to the next layer. All the way, Shirou peppered Senbrek with questions about the various species of demons he saw. At the same time, he repeatedly flooded, flexed, and charged his eyes with power, desperate to grasp some semblance of his old optical reinforcement before he was surrounded by things he was 'intended' to see. Memories of silly photographs of hollow, stage-prop-like skyscrapers and other chicanery surfaced in his mind - cheap imitations that would look very real from the correct angle to the untrained (and non-magical) eye. While he had no real reason to distrust anything Senbrek had said so far, much of the third-party information he had relayed smacked of propaganda. It was . . . heartening that Senbrek really didn't seem to have a head for deception; a smoother talker might have completely sidestepped his suspicions after picking up on his skepticism. Senbrek just doubled down and insisted he'd see for himself when he reached the city.

Well, he'd reached the City, and every word Sebrek had uttered was turning up completely true.

So far.

As he entered the first of many tower/elevator platforms, Shirou idly considered his options in case that trend ceased.

Each elevator was closer than the last. Each one was also smaller, shinier, faster, and overall better than the last. Each floor, the number of 'honor guard' would shrink a bit, until finally, when he stepped out of the final one, he did so alone. The two who had stayed with him until this point bowed, and stayed bowed as the doors slid shut behind him. A slight pneumatic hiss was the only clue that the car had already begun to descend.

Turning forward once more, Shirou took in the sky.

Now, without any further layers 'above' him, he had a clear view of the entire 'inside' of Malfeas, barring the horizons immediately around the byway (walkway? highway?) he was currently on. The green sun, or rather, The Green Sun, blazed above, and entire worlds-worth of cityscape stretched beyond his capacity to appreciate in 360 degrees from 'below' him. He could now clearly see the organic-looking 'holes' in the Dyson Sphere-like environment all 'around' and 'above' him (as far as those concepts applied to phenomena so distant that Earth's gravity wouldn't have a meaningful effect), revealing tiny stars.

Even in the distance, the 'inner' layers (relative to the star) were obviously shinier, reflecting more of the green light. They also were the 'topmost' layers, relative to the perspective of anyone standing on them. In contrast, the outer, lower layers were almost uniformly dull, providing stark contrast to the actual gaps and the void of space beyond.

Shirou decided to not think too hard about how he was breathing, and turned his attention to the path in front of him. Or, well, 'path' was understating things. Consider a six-lane undivided elevated highway, then line either side not with trees or sound-blocking barriers, but with monuments, sculptures, devices, and other craftwork. As he walked, he could barely guess as to the purpose of many of the things he saw; while some seemed to be simple works of art, he could indeed pick out many artfully shaped machines of practical function. After a little while, he realized he was no longer certain if any of the iconic presentations lacked a practical function at all.

Either the structures themselves or the pedestals they rested on functioned as music boxes; a cascade of perfectly tuned musical notes saturated the entire roadway. As there were no random demons present to play music or make noise by hand, Shirou figured it made sense to automate it.

Slightly beyond the edges of the path loomed greater structures, easily large enough to house hundreds of humans. Or, well, employ, given that they looked more like factories than apartments. Between and above them spun colossal mills; it took him more than a few moments to understand that they were not windmills, but lightmills - Crookes radiometers as tall as skyscrapers with fins as wide as sports arenas. Given that the being that created this place was, in fact, the star, it made sense that every stray photon (or equivalent) in reach would be harvested to maximum effect.

While basalt still made up a large portion of the bases of everything, it gave way to sculpted brass at just about every opportunity. Even under his very feet, the walkway itself smoothly transitioned from rock-etched-with-brass to brass-etched-with-rock, and then to brass with faintly glowing green channels.

As the path continued, he realized his mental tenant had been uncharacteristically quiet.

Senbrek?

Oh, uh, still here, Boss. Sorry, was sort of taken in by the view. This isn't exactly a place I ever dreamed I would see myself.

I thought you had met Ligier before setting off to find me, though.

I did. Just, when I was brought to him, I was, uh, shuttled there. This is quite literally the scenic route. Citizens walk down this road if they haven't been invited or otherwise don't have permission to board the trains that run directly to his forge.

In that context, it seems a bit, er, egotistical?

Shirou could almost feel Senbrek's wince at what the Blood Ape likely considered blasphemy.

Well, as I understand it, he made everything here with his own four hands. He prefers to show off his own works, as opposed to thousands of sycophantic worshipers or the results of legions of laborers. The bigger stuff just off the path was mostly made by groups under his direct supervision, which is almost as good. I actually got a bit of a tour guide spiel about everything along here, but you'd not understand most of it based on our chatting so far.

How long is this road, anyway?

Uhh, at this rate of walking we'll get to him in about . . . two days?

Shirou came to a halt, then took a few calming breaths.

Okay, okay, I can deal with that. Still, I doubt using my fancy food charm on anything in reach here is going to win me any favor.

Uh, yeah. Please don't.

Shirou noted the rather brutally-minded Blood Ape's sudden politeness with appropriate levels of trepidation.

I'll be fine, I can handle a couple days of walking without food or water.

Good.

With that, Shirou kept marching, and allowed the ever-more-intricate craftsmanship of the lawn ornaments (as he mentally framed them) to buoy his spirits. After period of this, he noticed a wave of darkness cascading across the east-northeastern lower 'sky.'

Ah, good, he's not coming this way. He doesn't buzz Ligier's forge much at all, in general.

Hmm?

The Ebon Dragon, the Shadow of All Things. Another Yozi Prince. The only being capable of blocking the light of Ligier outright, therefore 'night' here only falls under his shadow.

Shirou looked up, and sure enough, he could make out a black shape floating between the star and the shadow it was casting. However, he was unsure of precisely how distant and low large it was. Based on the vector of the darkness (the very dragon-shaped darkness, now that he had a point of reference), it was heading roughly in the same direction he was, just much faster and much higher up.

As a point of order, you never want to be caught in that shadow - or attract his attention at all, to be frank. Well, you don't for now, at least. Getting caught in the shadow, I mean. Eventually you'll be able to shrug off the crap in there, but for now, don't get caught in there if you don't want to be mutated into a terrifying darkness monster.

Says the terrifying simian monster, Shirou quipped before he could stop himself.

Hey, I was pretty scary, but that's because I was big, mean, and actively trying to be scary. The suckers that get caught in there? They're sort of . . . partying. Partying forever, as they march in the shadow parade, eternally, whenever that shadow is cast.

But isn't the dragon-

The Ebon Dragon.

-The Ebon Dragon's shadow moving far faster than they could hope to keep pace with? Images of nightmarishly fast beings flinging themselves at near-lightspeed across the yottacity to remain within the arbitrarily cast patch of shade filled his mind.

Eh, if the edge overtakes them, they find themselves suddenly on the opposite side of the shadow. When you're more or less picked up and deposited on your ass at random points every few hours, you kind of can't accomplish much more than learning to live with it. I knew some crazier demons that wanted to jump in on purpose because they figured it was a better lot than whatever they already had.

How crazy? Shirou asked, dreading the answer.

Well, like I said, they get randomly deposited wherever the shadow can be cast. They don't fall out of The City when he's over one of the gaps, and they don't die whenever he lands and shrinks to Jouten form, but beyond that, if he ever flies over a vitriol lake, then yeah, he'll suddenly have a lot less groupies until they get replaced.

Shirou shuddered. Alright, yeah. Crazy. There are more certain, less painful suicides.

Suicides? Nah, they're not trying to get killed, they're just trying to get out of whatev- hold on. I just remembered something.

What?

If you waltz up to Ligier while under the Ebon Dragon's basic disguise charm, he might take it as an insult.

Uhh, right, I had totally forgotten about that. One moment.

I didn't mean right now - no, NO WAIT!

However, Shirou had already released the charm. He held up his hands and watched as a layer of blackness appeared over them, then slid away, revealing the tanned skin-tone of his alternate-future self. He felt the sword-tip spikes poke out under (and through) various points on his armor and clothing, as well, and resigned himself to repairs and adjustments later.

Ah, sorry, forgot about the spikes, it's been so long since I -

NOT -THAT- YOU BLITHERING FOOL!

Shirou blinked. Then, uh, what?

Shirou could sense the implied sigh. Figure it out. It won't be long, now.

Huh? What do you mean, you're not making any sense.

Shirou waited for a response, but Senbrek held his peace. Shrugging, he made to keep walking.

Eventually he reached what seemed like a crossroads; an equally wide and fancy path that intersected his current one perpendicularly. The monuments had quite literally stopped dead, and the two paths seemed to exist at that point as a gigantic cross floating in the air. He had almost reached the centerpoint when he noticed.

The gigantic, distant projection of the Ebon Dragon's shadow was turning. Shirou stopped, and realized he had started to sweat.

The shadow finished reorienting and began moving once more.

As he feared, the tip of its head was oriented directly towards him.

[***]

So, invoking the charm of a Yozi Prince within line of sight of that Yozi Prince is a reliable way of attracting their attention. Lesson learned.

The shadow continued to approach. Relative to The Green Sun, it was about twenty-five degrees away.

Hmph. Well, not exactly. Just him. He's . . . nosy. Malfeas wouldn't notice you at all. Or if he did, he wouldn't care. Unless he was already watching.

So, any advice?

Well, the only solid advice I had was 'Do not gain the attention of the Ebon Dragon.' The next bit is 'If you gain his attention, do not trust him.' Finally, 'If you find yourself trusting him, you may no longer trust yourself.' In that case, you're supposed to report to Ligier immediately. Like, the only reason I am not completely panicked right now is that we are in Ligier's territory, and you can be certain that if he didn't notice you coming before this, his eyes will be on you once The Ultimate Darkness lands.

So we'll be fine?

No, you'll likely just seem fine. Yozis don't need to flare their charms to accomplish things. Ligier wouldn't appreciate him messing with a brand new Green Sun Prince.

So he won't mess with me?

He'll definitely mess with you, but without leaving any proof. Which means no direct magic. But the Shadow of All Things specializes in two kinds of conversations, if you remember my quick overview a couple weeks ago.

Refresh me.

Lies, and hurtful truths.

Shirou's expression flattened.

That sounds bad.

If it feels good to hear, it's deception. If it feels bad, it might be true. He can wreck your memories with charms, but that would leave obvious traces Ligier could find and fix. I only know that much because you could have learned those charms before we got here, so I have a basic guide. Beyond that, he's incredibly convincing.

You, um, seem to have lost your overawed fear and respect of him just now.

He is basically the personification of the opposite of how Blood Apes do things. Just telling you what to look out for is pissing me off, even though he could have killed me in an eyeblink when I was alive.

Hmm. Wait, what is he doing-

While they had been mentally chatting, the actual dragon in the air had either grown in size or accelerated. The shadow was now out of sight, and the actual being was bearing down on Shirou directly - however he still couldn't determine how far away it was. It was a bizarre cross between a western and eastern dragon, both long and serpentlike, but with grand wings paired at a few points along its body. Finally, it had not two, but three eyes. Almost too late, he realized it had to have been shrinking at a rate that perfectly offset its visible approach. Just as that thought cleared his mind, he felt the wind from a flap of the wings, and then the dragon banked up, and dove under the crossroads.

Shirou spun around, and instead of the expected dragon-dramatically-rising-from-the-other-side, he beheld a stunning young woman with pitch-black skin in a gray kimono. Her hair was likewise black, but the soft green luster offset it brilliantly. Her hair was hime-cut, and 'Yamato Nadeshiko' would have applied instantly if not for the skin color and the very prominent object held on her shoulders. A horn. A large silver horn, that seemed like a valveless hybrid of a french horn and a tuba, with an organic-looking protrusion poking out from the bell that Shirou very carefully chose not to think about.

Shirou. Bow and recite after me. 'Greetings and Salutations to That Which Calls to the Shadows.'

He lowered his head. "Greetings and Salutations to That Which Calls to the Shadows."

When he raised his head, she was only a foot away from him. He hadn't heard her move.

One corner of her mouth lifted up in a half smile. "Your coadjutor appears to be on the useful side, at least."

Shirou froze completely at the sound of her voice, flashbacks to Saber and Rin murmuring in his ears threatening to overwhelm him. This close, he could see her face in perfect detail . . . and that was literal. He could not find the slightest flaw, or blemish, or hint of makeup. There was no need- to touch that visage with cosmetics would disrupt the grandeur of her beauty.

Her head tilted slightly as she regarded him, and she folded her arms behind her back while pivoting slightly on one foot. Every motion was an invitation, hinting at swoops, lines, and curves that kimonos were supposedly designed to hide. Moreover, each passing second reinforced the looming feeling that he was out of his league.

Apparently she had finished waiting for a reply. "Hmm. Though the host might be a bit less so. Is my face so arresting?"

Shirou's anti-girl-snark defense kicked in reflexively. "Not at all, I was just trying to find some aspect of it that stood out from the rest to comment on. However, I seem to have failed."

He internally winced after finishing that line, dreading the inevitable verbal pounce that he knew was coming next. Thin eyebrows lifted slightly and her smile spread fully across lush lips, but as she began to reply-

"Oh, that much is simple. Take a look at this!"

There was a rustle of cloth, and the dazzling figure flinched, as someone stepped out from behind her.

Someone that wore the shape, clothing, and smirk of a highschool-aged Rin. In her hands was a large, hairless rat tail, which led back under the kimono it had been freed from.

"I mean, seriously, look at this thing, She's already great in the sack as it is, but just imagine the fun you could have with some . . . tactical applications?"

The not-Rin waggled her eyebrows while stroking her hand up and down the tip of the tail suggestively. The woman jerked her tail free and whirled around to face the interloper, a stony expression on her face. Her kimono's sleeves floated up for a moment with the momentum, and then the not-Rin snickered and stepped back out of Shirou's field of vision as the tail slipped itself back out of view. Still, the damage had been done, and Shirou could see the slight impression it made under the fabric as it twitched with her irritation while she addressed the impostor.

"I thought you wanted me to introduce you."

"No, I wanted you to herald me, as usual. Which is implied wherever you just show up." The voice was no longer Rin's. It was Saber's. "And heralding doesn't involve seducing."

"I wasn't seducing-"

"You seduce by breathing. You seduce by existing."

"He didn't seem to be dumbstruck. And who are those women?"

"They were his women."

"Were?" her offense was palpable. "Are you trying to alienate him?" Then she spun around to face Shirou again, but her gaze was focused a bit behind him.

"Not at all," boomed the voice of Kotomine Kirei. Shirou turned, this time, and looked into the face of the priest he had been repeatedly assured by Rin that he was fortunate to have not met more than once.

"Emiya Shirou. You already know who I am."

He nodded slowly, once.

The not-Kirei smiled. "Then allow me to skip the formalities, despite Erembour's inevitable protests. I would ask why you are in this place, at this time, without having been officially presented to us, but I no longer feel the need.

"Instead, I will express my sorrow that you have not seen fit to embrace more of my Charms than that first one . . . you seem to be the type that normally seasons your killing with discretion and . . . restraint. The unshackled wrath of the Demon City does tend to be . . . indiscriminate, wouldn't you agree?" He casually rubbed one wrist with his other hand. "My power, however, will only target who you intend it to, how you intend it to." His smile took on a more sinister tone. "No collateral. No bystanders. Just the way you like it."

Shirou's expression remained neutral. "Thank you for the advice."

He casually waved a dismissive hand. "Well, that much is just common sense, even Ligier will agree. This, however, is advice."

He leaned forward and spoke his next words quietly. "Loom-Snarling Deception, the charm of mine that you already know, forms a shape and a destiny. Both completely false, of course, but robust enough to deceive most relevant forms of verification. I would be . . . disappointed if it couldn't fool the rather simple protections on the artifact you have inside of you."

Shirou swallowed the lump in this throat. "I will make the attempt."

The Ebon Dragon stood back up. "Excellent. We can't have you dying now, that wouldn't be fun at all." He gestured towards Ligier's forge. "Rejoice, young man. It seems the Green Sun has finally noticed you! Congratulations. I wonder how much more he would have been impressed had you made it all the way to him without being detected?"

In the distance, a mechanical whining sound could be heard.

"Well, there's no need to overstay my welcome. Good luck, Emiya Shirou. I will eagerly await news of your exploits."

The Ebon Dragon stepped back to Erembour's side, and stood by as what looked like a vaguely steampunk subway car slid to a halt in the air above the crossroads. A spiral staircase unscrewed itself from the bottom and touched down lightly on the ground. The Ebon Dragon motioned for Shirou to board, while Erembour broke her demure facade for a moment to eyeroll and then wink.

Clinically, in the back of his mind, a rebellious piece of Shirou declared even odds of his ability to bed the astoundingly beautiful herald.

Another part of him countered that The Ebon Dragon might be banking on that, despite the seemingly antagonistic byplay.

Bowing respectfully to each of them in turn, Shirou then climbed the stairs and boarded the train. The stairs swirled closed behind him, and he took a seat. An incredibly well-dressed demon of unfamiliar race appeared and offered him a glass of something, and he accepted. As the car started to move and he began to drink, he decided that he didn't care if it was alcoholic or poisoned.

[***]

Erembour waited until the transport was moving, then spoke.

"Dare I ask about that advice?"

The Ebon Dragon had changed to Shirou's own form, and was inspecting his new body with a practiced eye. "Hmm? Oh, it was legitimate. There's an incredibly potent healing artifact in his soul that will only attune to one singular fate in all Creation. If he becomes that person, and dons a copy of their fate, it will allow him to attune. If it hadn't had that little quirk, I wouldn't have even noticed it inside of him."

"And the catch?" she asked, because when his advice was good, there was always a catch.

"Oh, nothing impressive. Every time he needs to use it, he will be forced to wear the shape of one of his lost loves. He'll speak with her voice, see her face in the mirror, and be tormented by her very memory."

Erembour made to comment, but he continued, "As it's a healing artifact, he'll be using it when he's fighting, which means that any killing he does while using it will be done with her face, splattering her form with blood, desecrating her image in his mind every time it happens."

She grimaced, waited a moment, and opened her mouth only to be interrupted again, "And finally, the more he is reminded of his one lost lover, he may proportionately feel guilty about the other lost lover, and how it's unfair that he's paying respects to one so much more than the other. If he is overwhelmed by that emotion, he may very well spend half of his time unprotected donning the face of the other one . . . or he might reject the idea completely due to the trauma, and refuse to use the artifact at all."

"Now I want to make love to him out of pity, after you've gone and done that to him."

"Oh, by all means, do so. He'll probably feel like he betrayed his lovers as a result."

Erembour pinched her eyes shut in exasperation. "Why do I even speak to you?"

The Ebon Dragon turned to her, grinned, and slowly ran a finger up one of her cheeks.

"Because, my dear, if you didn't at least pay lip service to being my conversation partner like this, I'd get my fun out of you in some other, even less pleasant way."

And with that, he unfurled his true form, and took took the skies once more. As his shadow spread across the highway, hundreds of shadow-touched demons rose from it. Erembour sighed, then raised her horn to her lips and blew, calling them all to attention and beginning the eternal marching revel anew once more.

The sky didn't so much end above it as fade into being before it; the wall he drew closer to was so tall that the blue of the sky was visible in between himself and its most distant heights.
So, uh, one thing;
IIRC in the Endless Desert the sky is pitch black at all times, with the implication that is wasn't like that before one or more of her Third Circles were killed as part of the Surrender Oaths, which is one of the reasons that sky-blue is considered an illegal color in Malfeas.

Last edited:
Back