Honest question: Does the Peter reveal/acceptance of it feel rushed and/or deus ex machina-y to you? It certainly does to me.
Not really, no. The only way I could see Pettigrew getting out of this is if he wasn't in the dorm room when Hermione went to grab him; and even then there's explicitly that ward she put up a while back that 'keeps rats in and cats out' stopping that route of escape. And once he was in Dumbledore's hands... well. He was in Dumbledore's hands. At that point him escaping would feel like the deus ex machina, whether it was physically or socially.

On to more general commentary - excited for Sirius to be (hopefully) getting a much more public reveal of innocence. Here's hoping his reintroduction to non-fugitive life goes well. I suspect that it hasn't yet sunk in to the people who were close to him what that minor detail of 'more than a decade of Azkaban exposure' might do to a guy, even if he had his Animagus cheat - looking forward to those moments of realization!

Last edited:
Yeah, nuke that subplot, there's an important dark creature I want to learn more about!

For instance, it seems like Silence!Hermione is going to be heavily influenced by the emotions of the people she memory-tastes. That's fine while she's among nice folks, but if she hung around Azkaban she'd go quite mad quite quickly I think. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Empty Truth - 26
The warlock led the cage-keepers on a twisting path of misdirection with practised ease. Question flowed into question, only rarely needing our attention. The cage-keepers' memories were locked away from us in a way that the wretch-that-was would have pierced with ease. The shifting of time, the freedom of the air, the bounties trapped in human minds; all were locked away from us. We were lesser for the becoming, just as we had known we would be.

The cage-keepers whisked the traitor away and the warlock followed in turn, leaving us with a warning encased in a single look. The traitor's fear had long since left us, but reason told us to mind his words regardless. Our once and future Lord feared only Death and those things which represented it. We were not so foolish as to think ourselves greater.

Empty Truth

"And here we are," Professor Lupin—Remus, Moony—said as we approached the portrait of Sir Cadogan. "For caution's sake, I'll reiterate the Headmaster's recommendation that you stay in the common room until he comes back to discuss things with you. It only seems sensible. If you need anything, I believe Professor Snape will be heading up here to keep an eye on things soon."

I kept from rolling my eyes. There was only one thing that Professor Snape would be interested in keeping an eye on in Gryffindor tower, and between that and the news about Sirius, I had no doubt he'd be in an even worse mood than usual. It would fall to me to keep Harry from charging out and doing something stupid about Sirius. It was just lucky we weren't lacking in things to talk about.

I gave the professor a smile for his sake. "Thank you, sir. Before I go in, do you mind if I ask a favour?"

"After everything today, I dare say that I owe you one. Ask as you will." He said it pleasantly enough, but every word was laced with inaudible melancholy.

"It's about your dog Padfoot," I said with an eye at Sir Cadogan. Portraits liked to talk, and the errant knight had a louder mouth than most.

Remus pinched the bridge of his nose tight. "For God's sake, Sirius—"

"Look. All I'm saying," Sirius said with a grin Remus was half-tempted to hex off his face, "is that if you're gonna tell people that Padfoot's your dog, then I ought to have a co—"

His face flushed and he planted his hand over the other boy's mouth. "Nope! None of that! You can stop that train of thought right now!"

The professor kept his face carefully neutral despite the muted embarrassment I knew he was feeling. I couldn't begin to fathom the reason for it. "Er, yes, I…" He cleared his throat. "What about him?"

"I gave him my cloak and left him out on the grounds. He's also got the bag I keep all of my books and notes in, but it got left where he's been sleeping since he's malnourished and I wasn't feeling up to it. I don't know if I'll be allowed to leave the castle anytime soon with everything going on," I gestured vaguely in the direction of the Great Hall, "so I was wondering if you could grab it for me?"

A conflicted sort of worry fell from Professor Lupin in spades. "Of course. I should probably be bringing him inside anyway. It's cold out there, and I'll bet the Headmaster would love to meet him." He eyed the portraits in the hall. "He's a real dog lover, you know."

"Give him a scratch behind the ear for me," I said with a disingenuous smile as I leaned down to offer the same to Crookshanks, who'd kept himself pressed against my side ever since we left the Great Hall.

Lupin gave me a strange look before nodding jerkily. "Of course," he said. "I'll… do that. Give Harry and Ron my regards."

The professor turned and walked away, leaving me wondering how much worse Professor Lupin must have got at lying over his years of isolation given that Sirius had once suspected him of being a spy. Though, maybe that was why he'd been suspected. I'd have to ask. Even if he didn't answer, being exposed to other people only served to prove to me that Sirius' memories were a remarkably open book. I couldn't help but wonder what it was that made some minds more accessible than others. Maybe it was that Occlumency thing that Narcissa had thought about teaching Draco.

"And who is it that goes there?" Sir Cadogan spoke up suddenly, voice sounding off. "Be you friend or foe?"

Sirius' rage expressed as petty annoyance was a never-ending well, it seemed. "Friend. The password is 'Windmill'."

"Haha! Not anymore it isn't! You'll need to duel me to pass!" The knight stumbled up to his feet and held aloft a bottle in place of a sword.

"Have you been drinking on the job?" He certainly seemed off to me, but I didn't think that the painted wine was it. It was more like his words were hollow.

Sir Cadogan stopped in place and the visor on his helm smacked down with a clang. He raised it back up hastily. "It makes me no less staunch a protector."

The normal response to that would have been indignation. I could sort of hear it in his voice, but it wasn't… It hit me suddenly: it was a portrait. They were just recreations. Imitations. They didn't have any real emotion for me to feel. It was a bit like what I imagined talking to a robot would feel like. All the right cues were there, but the whole thing rang hollow like an unconvincing performance. There was Hogwarts' emotion, sure, but a single portrait was such a small part of it that I couldn't pick it out. The overall effect was more than a little strange.

"If you let me in, I won't tell anyone," I said. The portrait swung open without another word.

Harry and Ron were sat by the fire playing a game of wizarding chess. At least, they were attempting to. The miasma of confusion, anger, and concern made me seriously doubt they had their hearts in it. They looked up with a sudden flood of relief as I entered, and I quickly made my way over to the couch and plopped down beside them. I couldn't help but let out a sigh. The stillness brought a marked relief on the ache still permeating my being. As if sensing my comfort, Crookshanks planted himself on my lap and curled up to sleep.

"Peter Pettigrew's been taken in by the aurors," I said once I realised the boys' anticipation. "He'll be properly interrogated, put to trial, and hopefully Sirius Black's name will be cleared soon."

Harry visibly swallowed. "So it's all true then? Sirius Black didn't betray my parents?"

"No, he didn't. Honestly, I'm not sure there's anyone Sirius cared about more than your dad."

His mess of emotions left him speechless at that, but Ron filled the space. "Hard to believe he's not some crazy murderer after all this. I mean, he cut up the Fat Lady to get in. Even if he was looking for Scabbers," he said with a grimace, "who does that?"

"I never said he wasn't crazy," I answered. "Just that he'd never hurt Harry. He sent you a Christmas present, you know. Something about quidditch?"

"Quidditch? That's… Harry, that's the Firebolt!" Ron's eyes widened with honest glee. His sudden good mood caught me easily.

I looked between the two boys with a smile. "I take it that's something good, then?"

"Good?" Ron huffed, but excitement crowded over his offence. "It's the best racing broom around! I heard Ireland bought a full set of 'em for their team! I'll go get it, Harry, we can show it to—"

"How do we know we can trust him?" Harry asked, stopping Ron in his tracks where he'd already been half-stood up. "I mean, if Dumbledore trusted Quirrelmort, and you trusted Riddle, how do Ron and I know we can trust Black? You've already said he's crazy."

I waited for the wave of hurt at his statement—the instinctive flinch that always came when someone pointed out the events of last year—but it didn't come. It was just a statement of fact. The sun sets in the west, autumn comes after summer, three is magically stable due to there being three pairs of Powers, and I had made a fatal mistake when I poured myself into the memory of Tom Marvolo Riddle. I wasn't sure how I felt about that. Not at all, I supposed.

"Harry, you can't—" Ron started, but I interrupted him.

"It's fine," I said tonelessly. "I don't really care anymore, and he's right."

Worry overtook him even as Harry kept staring at me. "You can't just not care!" Ron burst out.

"I used to care. Now I don't. I'm not human anymore, Ron. Not really. That comes with consequences." I turned my attention back to Harry. "Which is how I know that you can trust him. Dementors don't just take emotions. They take memories too. It's how w-they define themselves. When we started the merging process, we relived some of those memories."

Left unsaid was that Tom had shown me memories too, but the context was different. Neither part of me meant the other harm. Self-preservation was the thing that had brought me together. If I couldn't trust the thing that was slowly becoming myself, who could I trust?

"So you saw Black's memories?" Harry led.

I gave him a quick nod, only to suddenly remember the pain of moving; the dissonance between me and I. "More than just saw. I lived it. I was him. His feelings were my feelings, his thoughts were my thoughts. I experienced the moment he figured out what had happened the night you got your scar." I made a point to meet Harry's eyes. "Harry, Sirius' whole world ended the night your parents died. He wanted to take you in himself, you know. Hagrid wasn't lying about that in the Three Broomsticks. He only let Hagrid take you away when he realised that the real traitor was still a danger to you."

Harry's hard expression relented in the light of what I could only hope came across as earnestness. He seemed to deflate in his chair for a long moment before fragile hope entered his eyes. "If he's really my godfather… do you think he can adopt me?"

Harry lay in bed with blankets tossed aside due to the summer heat, staring up at the ceiling. Realistically speaking, he knew that it wasn't the worst day of his life—that had come on the exact same day the year before—but it probably made it into the top five. He'd had to see all of his least favourite sights in a row, after all. First came the dreaded exit from platform 9 ¾ into the muggle world, then came the face Uncle Vernon had when he was mad in public that promised consequences in private, then the home he'd grown up in and the rest of his family.

He didn't have the benefit of buying his relative safety with a phoney wave of the wand anymore, either. Dobby had ruined that. Even worse, Uncle Vernon had locked up all of Harry's magical things in his old cupboard. At least the fear of his Hogwarts letter not coming was a bit easier to dismiss this time. It would have meant a lifetime of Number Four Privet Drive after all, and there was nothing that scared him more than that.

It had been hard not to resent you when he saw you walking off with the Weasleys at King's Cross. You had living parents that probably liked you fine, and you still got to stay in the magical world year-round. Harry knew there were good reasons why, but an ugly part deep inside had hated you just the tiniest amount.

That had always been Harry's dream. The idea that someone would come around and save him from the Dursleys had always been a subject that lulled him to sleep at night. It had been the indistinct forms of his parents once, but Mr and Mrs Weasley had slowly been coming to take their place ever since he'd first visited the Burrow. He only hoped his parents would forgive him for the betrayal from wherever they'd gone when they died. Harry thought about asking the Weasleys to adopt him, but he knew how tight their money was, and they were always so weird about taking Harry's. It wasn't like he knew what to do with it.

It would be cruel to ask, Harry decided every time the thought crossed his mind. Besides, he could handle the Dursleys. He always had before. Until then, he counted the days until he'd be back at Hogwarts and dreamed.

The immensity of Harry's sorrow hit me like a truck as his fragile hope wavered before solidifying. I realised then how similar he was to Neville. It seemed like the sorting hat had put them in Gryffindor for the exact same reason.

"Now that Pettigrew's going to Azkaban, I happen to know for a fact that Sirius will want nothing more than to be a part of your life." Ron's sugar-sweet joy at the Firebolt trickled into my voice. "No doubt he'll do something drastic when you tell him how the Dursleys treat you—" Something drastic like murder, I thought, and the combination of Harry's fresh memories and Sirius' sadistic rage made not caring about the consequences of that into something wonderful. "—but I'm willing to bet that part of that will be adopting you. He knows what it's like to hate your family."

"You really think so?" Harry asked as the hope chased out his sorrow.

"I really do." I offered him the tentative smile he'd buoyed into being.

Ron's joy made itself known as he gave Harry a brilliant grin. "Might be hard to pull off with everything, but I reckon if he can escape from Azkaban, he can probably do just about anything."

"Guess so." Harry leaned back into the couch with a disbelieving little laugh. "I can't believe I have a godfather."

The good mood in the air was contagious, and I closed my eyes to let myself feel it fully. "Pretty sure he prefers dogfather in private, actually." The scent of curiosity filled the air. "He's an animagus. I think your dad might have been too."

Harry's eyes widened. "Really?"

"I think so. It only makes sense. They have these nicknames. Sirius turns into a big black dog; he's Padfoot," I explained.

"The Grim!" Harry realised. "He must've been keeping an eye on me ever since I left the Dursley's! If only I'd known, I…"

Ron laughed. "Sod that! If he's Padfoot, then he helped make the Marauder's Map! It's what, Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs? Who do you think the rest of 'em are?"

"Well, I know Pettigrew's Wormtail, Prongs is probably your dad," I said, "and Professor Lupin's Moony, which is really a bit obvious of a name considering everything."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"Oh, he's a werewolf." I opened my eyes to watch their reactions.

Sure enough, Ron flinched back. "He's a werewolf?" he hissed. "Did those memories tell you that too?"

"Professor Snape did, actually." It amazed me how little attention the boys paid to things. "He always fills in for Professor Lupin's sickness around the full moon, and he always talks about how dangerous werewolves are even when he's teaching something else. I think he wanted us to piece it together."

"Does Dumbledore know?" Ron asked.

Harry looked between us in confusion. "What's wrong with werewolves?"

"Yes, Dumbledore knows," I cut Ron off. "And the only thing wrong with them is that they're dangerous during the full moon. I got some of Professor Lupin's memories too, so I know he's taking Wolfsbane potion. He's not a danger to anyone like that."

"Still mental that Dumbledore let him in a school." Ron shook his head but conceded the point.

I shrugged. "He let me back in, and we don't even know if I'm dangerous yet."

That sobered the mood some, but Harry broke through the silence. "So the ritual really worked, then? You're gonna survive?"

"There's no way to know yet," I said. "The merging isn't really done yet. We're still settling. I'm not the thing I'm going to be, just most of a dementor and most of a witch. Things might change. Besides that, I can't see Healer Jameson anymore, so he can't tell me anything."

"Why not?" Ron asked.

I sighed and resigned myself to explaining. "Because I'm not human anymore. If it gets out, I won't just be expelled. I might lose my rights as a person." Both sets of eyes went wide with concern. "Dumbledore's going to look for a healer we can trust, but you can't tell anyone about me. The only people who know are Dumbledore, Sirius, Professor Snape, Luna, and you two."

"Merlin…" Harry stared down at the table for a moment before he met my eyes once more. "We'll keep your secret safe." He looked to Ron, who matched his promise eagerly.

"I know you will." They'd already made such a long habit of it, after all.

"So," Ron prompted me after a moment, "what's it like being a dementor-thing?"

Harry jabbed an elbow into Ron's side. "She's our friend, not a thing." I couldn't help but wonder how much of that stemmed from Harry's reaction to the word 'freak'.

"He's not wrong, actually. Dementors don't really do personhood. They think of themselves more as 'it' than anything else." At least they did when they bothered to consider themselves as an entity at all. Silence was an oddity there. Annoyance came unbidden at the thought, but I dismissed my soulmate's offence. "And as for what it's like; that's a bit difficult to answer, especially given that we're not really done cooking yet. As it stands, it's…"

I trailed off to consider what to say. They weren't completely mental, meaning I couldn't answer like I had Sirius, and I'd more deferred the questions to later with Dumbledore than actually answered any of them. Harry and Ron would be the first people I explained the fullness of my experience to. I wanted to do it right. They'd be the ones keeping the closest eye on me after all, and they were the ones I stood to hurt the most.

"I don't really have proper emotions anymore," I finally began. "But I can tell what the people around me are feeling and sort of use it up by remembering it later on to feel it myself. I experience some of their memories too, if someone's feeling something really strongly. Doing it's easier if I close my eyes, and it's Silence—that's the name of the dementor—that chooses those memories, not Hermione."

"Hold on, are you telling us you aren't Hermione?" Ron asked with confusion and a pinch of fear.

It made sense he'd ask that. The arrangement was strange even to me. "Subjectively, yes I am. Part of Hermione is Silence and part of Silence is Hermione, but… Hermione is the part that does the human things: walking, talking, exposing traitors, and all that. Silence is the part that does the dementor bits. Whereas the… entity that is me," I waved my arms around myself for effect, "is both parts, and the difference between the two is only going to get smaller."

Harry looked over at Ron. "You get any of that?"

"Not a word, mate."

"From my perspective," I tried, letting now-familiar annoyance seep into my voice, "I'm Hermione, and part of me is connected to Silence. From your perspective, objectively, I'm sort of both."

"Weird," Ron said after a long moment. Harry nodded his agreement. "So, did you see any of our memories?"

That, at least, was an easy question. Easier than explaining my binary existence, at least. "I saw some of yours while I was still unconscious, actually. I was there for your first time hearing about your uncles, when you realised I was in the Chamber of Secrets, and then I think your talk about me with Percy in the library?"

Ron baulked. "Cheery picks, those."

"Dementors aren't known for being fun at parties, Ron," I drawled. He choked on a shot of humour, and I turned to Harry. "I didn't see any of yours when I was unconscious, but I did see one in the Great Hall when you were talking about the Dursleys, and one just a minute ago."

Harry went white as a sheet with bubbling fear and shock. "What did you see?" he asked as levelly as he could manage.

"I saw you deciding to ask your aunt a question in the Great Hall," I said slowly, "and then you at home thinking about the Weasleys."

"Oh."

Regret hit me keenly. "Sorry. I'm not in control of it—"

"It's fine," Harry insisted with a wave of a hand. I knew him well enough that I didn't even need to feel his whirling emotions to know he was lying, though it certainly helped. "It's just… I think I felt it. You, I mean, or Silence, or whatever."

"Sirius could tell too. What did it feel like?" It would be a useful thing to know, even beyond simple curiosity.

Harry opened and closed his mouth a few times as if searching for the words. "Bad," he finally settled. "I was remembering it along with you, but it was more vivid than it should have been. It felt like I was back there. Not physically, but… emotionally, I guess."

"People are afraid of Azkaban for a reason," I commented absently as a yawning chasm of regret and grief opened up around me without my consent. "I can't see Dumbledore's or Professor Snape's memories, so there's a way to… protect yourself from me. I think I know what it is, too. The problem is that if I'm right, then learning it while we're this young would hurt your magic in the long run. I'll just have to do what I can to not take from you two."

"...What about everybody else?" Harry asked eventually.

I searched my mind to try to conjure a nice answer, but none came. "I don't know. Dementors survive on stolen memories and emotions, and given how Silence is the one picking them up, I think that might still be true for us. Me. It's not like I can control it too much anyway."

"Nothing ever just gets better, does it?" Ron sighed, and I found I couldn't disagree.

"That's everything then?" The headmaster asked, looking over his half-moon spectacles. "Aside from the exact details your extrasensory insight provided and your conversations with your fellow students—both of which are private—that is everything you have experienced since performing the ritual?"

"Yes, sir," I answered honestly. It was already late when an irate Professor Snape entered the common room to retrieve me, and Dumbledore had spent the hours since then quizzing me on every detail. I was exhausted enough that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it had become early morning some hours ago.

"And how, precisely, are we to know she's not lying?" Professor Snape drawled out. Despite his many protests, he'd been there listening and offering snappy comments the entire time. Weak annoyance shot through me at the professor's words, but Dumbledore answered before I could bite.

"Because Miss Granger is many things—many more, even, than she was a few days ago—but unintelligent is not one of them." His tone was pleasant, but his flavourless annoyance might as well have been written in neon to me. "I'm sure that she's long since realised that leaving any details out would do nothing but limit our ability to help her. We are, after all, on her side."

Professor Snape stood and leaned over Dumbledore's desk, leaving behind empty fury and indignation. "I am on the side of protecting the student body from a loose Dark creature. Since the start of this year, you seem to insist on forcing me to question if we are allies in this. Did you not hear her admit that she forces the people around her to relive traumatic memories? I will not have a thing like that near my Slytherins."

"I will admit to that being a complication." The headmaster met Snape's eyes easily and steepled his fingers. "But I suspect this might well prove temporary. We will need to monitor her as the transition from two into one progresses. Any theoretical dietary need for stolen memory could well abate, even as she gains what I suspect will be more conscious control of her abilities."

"And what of the meantime? Are we to simply let the students suffer until she's finished?"

"Not at all," Dumbledore said pleasantly through the emotional equivalent of gritted teeth. "In fact, I already have a solution in mind."

I took the opportunity to speak up. "If there's a way to get rid of the risk to my friends without dying, I want to do it." I'd have been earnest if I had it in me, but as it was it was a simple statement of fact.

The headmaster nodded my way, and Snape sat back in his chair with a scowl. "I would propose a two-part solution. The first part would answer the question of sustenance. Similar to what we have done with vampiric students who attended Hogwarts in the past, I would propose regular donation of memory and emotion through a safe medium."

"To conjure someone willing to play nursemaid to a dementor is no mean feat," Professor Snape spat.

"Which is why I will be offering myself," Dumbledore said. Professor Snape relented with a cross of his arms. "I've the means, the motive, and more memories than I know what to do with. It will be, as it always has been, my honour to pass down the contents of my head to those students in need of them."

Resignation came over Snape, but his scowl didn't relent. "You know well that the appetite of a dementor is an endless pit. It will not stop simply because it has been fed."

"Hence the second part of my proposal." He turned his attention to me. "Miss Granger, are you aware of the Mindblot potion?"

"I think I saw it mentioned once. I believe it's designed to put a barrier around one's thoughts and feelings," I answered. "The book I found it in didn't describe it any more than that." It had been mentioned in a footnote just a few pages off from the polyjuice recipe in Moste Potente Potions.

Dumbledore offered me a tired smile. "Five points to Gryffindor. You're absolutely correct of course, though not entirely so. The key detail for our purposes is that the barrier it produces is not only one way. It prevents its imbiber from having their mind spied upon, but also prevents them from spying upon the minds of others. It would need some modification to suit the purpose, but it is not for nothing that I have perhaps the most skilled Potion Master I've ever met in my employ."

Something churned within me at the proposal. I managed to keep my face schooled, but my vision blurred as pain came over me with an intensity I hadn't felt since waking up in Sirius' cave. It came from the intersection of Hermione and Silence, and the pain relented as I realised how much I did not like the idea of that potion. Speaking up about it wouldn't bring me anything but scrutiny though, so I kept quiet.

Seemingly unaware of my internal conflict and resolution, Dumbledore looked over to Snape, who uncrossed his arms with a weary sigh. "It's becoming increasingly clear to me that my protests are falling on deaf ears. I take this to mean that I've no choice in the matter?" Dumbledore offered only a smile in response. "Very well. But I'll make it known now that when this thing," he waved a hand in my direction, "proves your trust to be folly, then you will be the one forced to live with the consequences, not I."

"At my age, every day that I live to see the fruits of my labours is a gift," Dumbledore said pleasantly. Snape's fury kicked up high enough that it confused me that he didn't lash out.

"Very well. Now if you'll excuse me, it seems that I have many hours of arithmancy ahead if I'm to have any hope of fulfilling this fool's errand." With that, Professor Snape stood, gave me a lingering glare, and stalked out of the room. The door shut behind him with a slam.

The headmaster gave me a wry smile. "It's good to see him so cooperative."

I grimaced, as much from fading pain as from his statement. "Was he this angry about Professor Lupin?" If this had been Snape being cooperative, I didn't want to see him petulant.

"More so, I'm afraid. They've quite the history together." He gave me an appraising glance. "A history you seem well-informed about."

I shrugged. "If Professor Lupin knows Occlumency, then he doesn't practise it. Same with Sirius."

"I'll not ask for details," Dumbledore said with a hand raised to stop me. "Though I will ask you the same thing I've asked all natural legilimens who pass through our halls: to keep those details you happen to glean to yourself. People have a right to their privacy."

"Yes, sir."

He tipped his head approvingly. "Good. Now, with that in mind, I do have a potentially contradictory request for you." He waited for my nod before continuing. "I will note that while Severus is a master at his craft, the thing we have asked of him is difficult indeed. It will take time and experimentation to achieve a satisfactory result." That was fine by me. He could take all the time he wanted. "In the meantime, if there is any information that you happen to stumble upon that you suspect might affect your safety or the safety of others, I ask that you bring it to my attention immediately."

"That's reasonable," I said after a moment to think. I didn't want to agree outright—dementors were bound to the letter of their word, and I didn't know when that would begin to affect me in earnest—but there was no reason to say no either.

"Splendid," the headmaster said with a mix of approval and frustration that I thought might have meant he knew what I was doing. "With that settled…" He trailed off and looked up to the door. "Come in!"

"I wouldn't blame you if you didn't forgive me," Remus said, looking anywhere but the other man's eyes. "Twelve years in Azkaban for a crime you didn't commit, and I hardly even questioned it. I should have known, should have argued for a trial."

Sirius Black—the man Remus now realised had been the most loyal of all of them—looked up from his half-ravaged plate for just a moment. "It's forgotten, as long as you forgive me for suspecting you, too."

"Done," he agreed quickly. "I just can't believe that Peter was alive after all this time."

"Not for lack of trying on my part." Sirius gave him a gaunt grin, a ghost of the one that once decorated his face so readily.

Remus tried to match it but feared the result came out as more of a grimace. "Twelve years as a pet rat. I can't imagine it."

Sirius let out a dry, broken cough of a laugh. "That's 'cause you're too good, Moony. Sick fucks like the traitor never have made much sense to you." He made another precise cut into his steak with shaking hands clasping silverware just so before ferally tearing into the chunk he'd carved out. The display broke Remus' heart to see. Sirius Black, once proud and composed, reduced to little more than a starving animal.

"You look like you've barely eaten since you escaped."

"Not been my priority," he admitted. "But there's always something to eat if you look hard enough and don't care if you have to pinch your nose. Sure, there are a few people that like to feed strays, but the trash can behind the Broomsticks has been good to me, and I bet I've just about snapped up every rat in Hogsmeade by now. Would've been good practise for the real thing."

Remus couldn't help but stare in horror. "Bloody hell, Sirius."

"Nobody ever said revenge is glamorous. It's just necessary. Like food, or water, or getting piss-drunk in your twenties." He punctuated every word with a twirl of his fork in the air that was so familiar it ached.

The professor shook his head as if to cast off his surreal stupor. "Revenge fulfilled then, I suppose. He'll be off to Azkaban soon. Dumbledore's got his eyes on. It might as well be a done deal."

Sirius grunted through a mouthful of potatoes. "It'll have to be good enough," he eventually said. "Some things are more important than others. Speaking of: tell me about my godson."

"You'll love him," Remus said, knowing for a fact that it would be true.

"The implication that I don't already is insulting." His tone was harsh, but that bony, rotten, wry smile was back. "Now details, Moony. Details!"

That earned a familiar laugh from Remus. It was almost enough to make him forget that the past twelve years had even happened. "He's a fine kid. Loves his friends enough to bring back old memories. Honestly, between that and the way he looks, it's hard to not see James sometimes. The only differences are the scar and his eyes."

"Still got Lily's eyes?"

"Killing curse green," Remus confirmed.

The influx of sudden emotions made me realise just how drained I'd been. Over the hours spent with two men I could read but not copy from, the only feelings left to me were a dwindling supply of Sirius' rage, grief, and regret. It was hardly a full range. Professor Lupin's mix of sour sorrow and sweet nostalgia was heady in the light of it.

He came in with a transformed Sirius in tow. Sirius' tail was wagging from beneath my cloak and Lupin had my bag slung over his shoulders. The professor's inner turmoil gave way to surprise at the sight of me.

"Welcome," Dumbledore said to them. "Have a seat. Feel free to make yourselves comfortable." He gave Sirius a pointed glance.

Sirius clambered up into the chair Snape had vacated and began to shift. In the span of a moment, his body stretched, shortened, and contorted until the man himself sat primly with legs crossed. He'd changed and bathed since last I saw him, managed to tame the nightmare that was his hair, and seemed to have decided his facial hair was a lost cause and shaved it entirely. I didn't blame him.

"Dumbledore, Hermione," he greeted with a nod to each of us in turn. "I assume you're the one responsible for him knowing about my animagus?"

The headmaster saved me from answering. "Given everything that has happened over the past several days, and indeed the past decade or so, she and I have spent a short while discussing her experiences."

"Only fair, I suppose," Sirius said. "Having you in the loop and back in my corner will certainly help with the whole freedom thing."

"I can only hope," Dumbledore replied.

Professor Lupin slung my bag off of his shoulder with ease. "Speaking of, here you go."

"Thank you, Professor." Inside was the culmination of my once-life's work—the magical formula for the thing I was—and I accepted its return greedily. The professor gave me a tight smile before sitting down. As he did, Sirius gave me a pointed look, waggled his fingers up at his eyes, and nodded towards Dumbledore. I nodded accordingly; the headmaster knew all about me. He jabbed his head over to Lupin, and I shook mine. Sirius frowned, but seemed to accept it.

"How's Harry doing?" Sirius asked me.

"He seems like he's taking everything in stride," I answered. "He's had better days, but he's had a lot worse too."

He nodded absently for a moment. "Any shot of me meeting him tonight?"

"He was going to bed when I came up here some hours ago." Disappointment flowed from Sirius like water.

"There is always the morning," Dumbledore said.

Sirius relented. "Suppose so."

"Speaking of, Hermione, I do believe it is past time I allowed you to get some rest yourself," the headmaster said. "Professor Lupin, Mr Black, and I have quite a bit to discuss, and there's no reason to drag you into it any further."

I stood up and hefted my bag, finding it easier to lift than it had been before. Lupin must have cast a featherlight charm on it. "Of course, Professor. I'll see you in the morning."

After some quick goodbyes to the other two men, I made my way out the door and down the stairs. The walk back up to Gryffindor tower was made even more exhausting by the late hour, but finally, eventually, I returned to the common room and climbed up to my dorms. I only just managed to place my bag down in my still-warded trunk before the I-that-was-now-we landed back in my bed again for the very first time.

Settling - 27
Harry was sat in his cupboard, just like always. His aunt and uncle were outside talking about how Vernon had pummelled a freak with massive drills at work that day. Dudley was sat just outside the door, talking about how much fun it would be to join in. Harry curled up and magicked the lights off and tried to make himself small to hide, but the cupboard only seemed to shrink to squeeze him in.

There was screaming somewhere outside. Someone was screaming. There was a high, cruel laugh and screaming that only grew louder and louder until Harry had to clamp his hands to his ears in order to hear.

The screaming stopped.

A paw scratched against the outside of Harry's cupboard door as Hagrid ushered the class over. "Gather round, everyone! Got somethin' ter show yeh!" They followed his lead, though the Slytherins spat and jeered as they approached. Ron couldn't help but laugh at them.

"I figured we'd start off strong today," the massive man said. "So I got some o' my most interestin' creatures!" The fireplace in the office punctuated his point by crackling warmly.

Sirius had to admit, the old man was always a sight for sore eyes. He had this long habit of finding you when you were stuck waist-deep in the rapids of shit creek just to hand you a boat, paddle, and a damn thorough cleaning charm for the road. The office was familiar as anything—he was not unfamiliar with the concept of late-night visits to the headmaster's office—but that tired, determined expression felt out of place for the location. He'd seen it a thousand times before back during the war, but it felt wrong to see it in a setting where he was far more used to the sight of twinkly eyes not-quite approving of his moonlit antics.

With a look like that on his face, letting the old man take the lead was more than just common sense; it was survival instinct. Sometimes though, survival was wallowing in the dark with a drink in hand.

The old bottle of scotch had sat for years waiting for the right moment, but had been all but drained in a few short hours. It was expensive for good reason: fermented with gnome grass and aged in a pixie dust-lined barrel sat in the shade of a wood nymph's tree for most of a decade. She'd bought it as a treat for herself at the end of the war.

It was a drink meant to be savoured. The guilt of doing it injustice was minuscule next to everything else. Even the oldest wounds would reopen in an instant to the right provocation, but the tincture needed to reseal them only ever got more potent. The scotch would have to do.

There was a call from the brightly lit grounds. "Best pay attention now!" The massive man walked over to the paddock he'd covered in a massive tarp, flicked his umbrella once, and the tarp disappeared. Standing there in the paddock was a hippogriff at least twice the size of Hagrid.

"I'll go first!" Harry called out and walked up to the paddock. He bowed for a second. The hippogriff bowed back for only a moment before reaching down and swallowing Harry whole.

Hagrid laughed loud enough to shake the trees. "Isn't tha' interestin'?" Of course, every word out of Dumbledore's mouth tended to be interesting.

"We can only assume that the Umbrists—those whose politics indicate they might have once supported Lord Voldemort, Sirius—will have their own plans for how to deal with Peter," Dumbledore continued. "They tend to look to Lucius Malfoy for direction."

Sirius shook his head quickly, sunken eyes lost in thought. "Not unless he's grown a spine in the twelve years I've been put away. I'd bet you anything they answer to Cissy, and if I know her, then her best-case scenario is if the rat wakes up dead one morning. Can't say I'd complain either if it weren't for Harry."

Remus reeled back. Only a few hours back in his life and Sirius was surprising him in a way he hadn't for years before he went to Azkaban. "Why would she want that? I thought she was never loyal to Voldemort."

"No, but I do know I never saw half the people that should be in Azkaban with me. I'll bet they're the ones making up her power base." He looked up to Dumbledore, then continued at his nod. "Besides that, it'd probably be some fucked up family loyalty thing for her." Left unsaid was that they'd do what they needed to do to ensure she failed.

Failure was a part of life, but Minerva was sure that only a scarce few people were in the unfortunate position of failing as spectacularly and as often as she had. Sirius Black was a student, a comrade-in-arms, and a friend. The fact she'd turned her back on him as quickly as she had was nothing less than deepest betrayal. She believed that few deserved death and none deserved Azkaban, but it had been so very easy to turn a blind eye to a man she believed to be a traitor. Minerva had felt so very righteous imagining guilt in her blindness.

Harry must have been imagining things, because there was a dog waiting in the living room. A big, black, furry dog with glowing red eyes. It must have been the size of a horse, it was so big. Aunt Petunia would hate it, but she was nowhere to be seen. There was a letter held softly in its mouth. Harry reached up slowly and took it with one quick yank.

"It's for me," Harry said without looking. "We have to go to Diagon Alley." The dog—Sirius—barked his agreement.

He wasn't the last student she'd failed, and he certainly wasn't the first. Any student clever and curious enough for her to think of as the brightest of their age deserved better than the lot they'd been given. Far,
far, better than her clumsy attempts at outreach provided.

Albus had spoken of stress. To wander off into the frozen over Forbidden Forest in the middle of the night when it was known to be infested by dementors and suspected to play host to a man thought to be a mass murderer while speaking of
stress, of all things, could only ever lead to one horrific conclusion. It was a conclusion that didn't make any sense to Remus.

"She hated you," Remus said.

"Never said she didn't."

"Then why would she kill Peter? That only hurts you."

Sirius barked a dry laugh. "Family loyalty only goes so far, even to her. Getting revenge on my behalf? Sure. Easy. Letting her sock-puppet of a husband get tried in the Wizengamot again? Not happening." He turned back to the headmaster. "Much as I hate to say it, you'd best have some damn thorough protection going if you want the traitor to survive the week." Harry took it in stride.

The dog gave Harry a leash to put on him, which Harry did. It was only polite. In response, the dog yanked him forward. Out of the cupboard, out of the living room, and out of the house. Number 4 Privet Drive disappeared from thought as they ran along the sidewalk.

"You have your mother's eyes, Harry," the dog said.

"I know."

"And your father's eyebrows."

Harry scrunched them up. "I know."

"And your great-grandmother's toenails."

"I know," Harry lied. Dumbledore offered a tired, wry smile in response that warmed Sirius' bones for the first time in over a decade.

"I may not have any particularly direct control over the aurory," the old man said, "but it seems that there is absolutely nothing that prevents a concerned citizen from sending a few anonymous letters to some choice reporters."

"Oh, that's good. Can't kill the bastard without it ending up plastered all over the morning news." Sirius returned the headmaster's smile with a rotten, toothy grin that probably scared Moony, but he found he didn't have it in him to care all that much. "When are we sending them out?"

"Six hours ago, by my accounting."

It was too little, too late. Minerva had known the girl was worried for her friends. She felt pressured to protect them, even. Maybe if Minerva had asked after her a little more often, been a little more insistent when she inquired into her wellbeing, showed a bit more care to her concerns, helped her more to adjust to her change in magic, or even been more lenient with her, things might have turned out differently. Children got more private as they aged, she knew that. She should have accounted for it, but she didn't.

Gone was the girl who would come to her Head of House with all her concerns. All that remained was the one who would have no doubt weighed all the options presented to her before deciding to put an end to things. It was Minerva's responsibility, and thus Minerva's failure. There was no other way to see it, but he did see the dog give him a wink.

It held up a bone in its mouth and tapped it against the brick wall. Bricks folded away to expose Diagon Alley. The dog kept leading him forward. "I've been watching you, Harry."

"I thought you were a death omen," Harry admitted.

The dog reared back and laughed like a hyena. "Not to you I'm not."

"It's death, then." Professor Quirrel walked up to the paddock holding a hefty axe. His words were hissed as if he was only just keeping from slipping into parseltongue. "We'll have to put him down." His words were hissed as if he was only just keeping from slipping into parseltongue.

Hagrid hugged the hippogriff around its thick leg and began to sob. "Not Buckbeak!" he cried, but the walk back to the teacher's quarters was near-silent.

Remus couldn't help but notice Sirius' eyes repeatedly glazing over only for him to come back to awareness and twitchily scan every corner and shadow in the castle. He looked desperately ill at ease, as if at any moment something might jump from the shadows and attack. The dim light put his sunken cheeks and stretched skin in stark relief. Even the way he walked had been corrupted. Where once Sirius had held his head high as if in defiance to the world, now his every feature slumped as if he were a perched vulture.

Every time he found a new thing to focus on—a new way that Azkaban had seeped into his best friend's every aspect—he thought it couldn't possibly hurt any more than it already did. Every time, he was wrong. Remus ached to reach out to bridge the distance between them but found he had absolutely no idea what to say. The silence continued until the hustle and bustle of Diagon Alley pierced through it.

"Fresh rats! Come get your fresh rats on a stick!"

Harry handed Mr Fortescue a few coins because the dog didn't have hands to do it. Mr Fortescue smiled and handed a sick, diseased-looking rat on a stick to both Harry and the dog. Harry took a bite and found it tasted like cotton candy. It cried out in fear, but the executioner was unhindered.

Quirrel raised his axe high and beheaded the massive creature in one stroke. Ron turned to face us, but the head of the hippogriff began to laugh and laugh and laugh. Its feathers and skin began to melt off, leaving behind a pile of sludge and bleached white bone. It just kept laughing. The Slytherins all joined in to ring in a terrible chorus.

They began to melt, too, and she let the liquor lull her to sleep. It promised punishment when morning came, and she couldn't help but think it just. He was still awake though, because Remus was hesitating at the door, keeping Sirius from getting his first sleep in a proper bed in over a decade.

"I confess to being shocked that you didn't give into thoughts of revenge," Moony eventually said quietly. He always said things almost too quietly to hear when he was feeling conflicted about something. At least that hadn't changed. "I'll admit to having more than a few thoughts leaning that way myself."

Sirius scoffed. "Who said I didn't? Harry's more important, though. That Granger girl reminded me of that."

"It must have been some argument to convince you. I know how you are when you get going." The dog scowled in response.

"Your family sucks," it said.

"Yeah."

The dog thought about it for a second. "We'll get you a new one at the store."

They walked across Diagon Alley to the Burrow and went inside. The door jingled like a shop's ought to as they entered. Harry noticed that his name was on the clock. Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley, Fred, George, Ron, Ginny, and us were all sitting at the table eating rats we'd taken off of the stick. Sirius' answer to that was simple.

"She reminds me of Lily."

Remus boggled at that. "How so?"

"Brilliant and she knows it; mad and she doesn't."

Minerva didn't hear him though, because she was wandering through the woods, sprinting between the looming trees. There were faces she knew in the bodies strewn amongst the ground. All of them were people she knew; people she'd fought with. People she'd taught. They were a tide of failure after failure, but she kept running, and she kept searching the faces. She had to, otherwise she'd forget. Everyone would forget, but she never would. She refused

It was the second head of curly hair that she found lying face-up in the dirt that put an end to her search. Finally seeing our defiled form, she fell to her knees and felt the heavens open as she cried to anyone who would listen.

"Hermione, you have to fix it!" Ron called out to us.

We cocked our head and smiled, and he noticed that our cloak had returned to us and that our eyes had gone; only empty, blackened pits remained. "Silly, ickle Ronniekins," we said. "I can't fix anything anymore. I've made sure of it."

"Nice things don't happen anymore," Ron said like he'd finally realised something simple. Everyone else voiced their agreement.

We looked up at him with hollow sockets from beneath our tattered cloak and smiled. "Nice things never happen to Harry Potter or the people he cares about."

"It's your fault, you know," the dog chimed in. "All of it. Just saying."

Mrs Weasley spoke up in a pleasant, calming voice. "It's because you're not good enough. You don't deserve any of this. Now eat your peas, dear."

Settling

I awoke to the taste of fur. It was in my mouth, nose, eyes, and ears, restricting my ability to breathe enough to make me think I was choking. I groggily reached up to grab the culprit around his middle and lift him into the air. "Crookshanks," I groaned, "you need to stop sitting on my face when you're hungry."

He responded by wriggling out of my grasp and landing on my chest with a heft that drove the breath out of my lungs. If I hadn't been awake before, I certainly was after that. I moved Crookshanks onto my lap to sit up and open my eyes, but stopped short. I could barely see. The room was bright enough that I had to squint in order to make anything out.

I found the culprit quickly. Lavender liked to leave the curtains thrown wide open and nobody liked arguing with Lavender enough to protest. Warm sunlight reflected off the snow on the grounds below to filter in and set the dorms awash with soft morning light, leaving me all but blind. It took me no time at all to dig up my last dregs of Sirius' hate in order to take great offence to the sun. Half-blind, I stumbled to my feet and clumsily patted the walls until I found one of the offending windows and yanked the curtains shut.

The rest of the windows by my dormmates' beds proved to be more of a challenge, but I managed to get through it while only tripping once. Kellah loved to leave her pillows strewn about. The feeling of stumbling on them was unfortunately familiar.

When I finally drew the last curtain shut, I looked back around the dorm. The curtains were the thick sort, which meant that the only light remaining in the room was either filtering in via the common room or from the very bottoms of the windows. It wasn't perfect, but it suited me much better. At least I could actually see.

My first order of business was rummaging in my bag for the sunglasses Sirius had conjured for me. Rather, my second order of business. Crookshanks was quick to remind me that my first order of business was opening up a jar of tuna slices, emptying its contents into a dish, and casting a quick spell I'd prepared to make the slices flop around. It was a hassle, but Crooks absolutely refused to eat anything he hadn't personally seen move.

Now I thought about it, it occurred to me that I probably wasn't dying. I didn't have to spend every second either working to save myself or watching a ticking clock waste away my borrowed time. It wouldn't be too hard to enchant a dish to use ambient magic to make the food inside it flop around on its own. It would save me time and Crookshanks had certainly proved himself worthy of it, though it would have to wait until I got the second version of my hairpin going. Sunglasses were not an option long-term, and conjured sunglasses were even worse.

With that in mind, I hefted my bag and started emptying it onto my bed. My various ritual drafting tools fell out with a clatter that earned me a baleful eye from Crooks only to be followed by the thuds of my books and the quiet crash of scattered papers. Sirius really had made a mess of it. I should have expected it. He had thought about how he didn't know any good cleaning charms, and I certainly wouldn't classify whatever spell he'd used to gather my things as good.

I found Sirius' sunglasses in my cloak's pocket, of all places. Really, I was more impressed that I'd found them at all. Conjuration was a fiendishly difficult branch of Transfiguration. Making something that would last overnight with a stranger's wand and suffering from the aftereffects of a lengthy stay in Azkaban was no small feat. Sure, I could feel that its centre was wavering, but I was still starting to suspect that Sirius was almost as impressive as he thought himself to be.

I welcomed the relief of darkness as I put the sunglasses on, then realised something. The magic suffusing every inch of Hogwarts was still obviously there, but it had stopped rubbing me raw. The pain at the meeting of Silence and Hermione whenever I moved seemed to have abated entirely. That realisation would be nice once I felt someone appreciate something. Until then, it was just a notable statement of fact.

Bathing was rote once I got around to it, though I found I didn't mind detangling my hair. The me-that-was would have hated it. My hair hadn't seen so much as a brush since Christmas, and it had gone through quite a lot since then. It would have been a dreaded chore once. Now, I simply worked in silence.

By the time I was dressed again, Crookshanks had resumed his vigil approximately a centimetre away from my feet at all times, and I could feel Harry and Ron's particular mix of emotions from down the stairs. Impatience and worry seemed to be reigning supreme between the two of them. It occurred to me that I'd probably taken longer than normal to get ready given that the frantic hurry which had once been a constant had seemingly taken its leave

Both boys flinched as soon as they saw me emerge from the stairwell; Ron more so than Harry. "Is everything alright?" I asked.

Harry recovered first. "It's your eyes. I thought that…" He shook his head. "Nevermind. I'm fine."

"What's up with the sunglasses?" Ron asked as he slowly settled.

"My eyes are more sensitive to light now," I answered with a shrug. "Professor Dumbledore put a glamour on yesterday, but I need sunglasses until I can get something more permanent. Besides that…" I reached up to pull them down just long enough for both boys' expressions to go slack.

"Looks good," Harry tried. Even with both eyes open, Harry's discomfort was easy to feel.

"It's kinda creepy," Ron said more honestly, and Harry gave him a look. "What? She's half-dementor! Creepy's probably a compliment!" Harry laughed easily. I echoed it once his good humour found its way over.

"It's not, for the record," I said through my grin. "But lucky for you, I can't care right now."

For some reason, that killed the mood in an instant. "Right," Harry eventually said after several long moments. "Let's just head to breakfast, yeah?" At his prompting, we poured out through the portrait hole ("Come and face me, foul curs!") and into the quiet halls.

"So I was just about to tell Harry before you came down, but I had the weirdest dream last night." I let my eyes drift closed as Ron's unease filtered into the air.

"Me too," Harry said. "Don't really remember the details, but it was just sort of creepy."

Ron's unease pitched up alongside a spark of excitement. "Did it feel like it stuck to you even after you woke up? 'Cause mine did."

"It did, yeah." I felt both boys turn their attention to me almost immediately.

I tried to cast my mind back but quickly gave in with a shrug. "If I dreamed about anything, I must have forgotten about it when Crookshanks decided to wake me up by sitting on my face." I looked to give the offending cat a glare, but the impressive job he was doing of pretending to ignore me while refusing to move out from underfoot consumed all his attention. "Stress can cause all kinds of weird dreams. It's probably just that."

The Great Hall was almost empty when we arrived. The only people sat down for breakfast were Professor Trelawney, Professor Sprout, a first-year Hufflepuff girl, and an older Slytherin. Professor Trelawney in particular was a point of interest. She didn't come to meals very often at all so far as I could tell. More curiously, the two professors were wrapped up in conversation.

Amberweed stores seemed well enough. Sparkcap could likely do with a topping-up. It would be good practice for her OWL kids. That one was always popping up on exams. Mandrake roots were running low, but more were growing already. There was no sense in having a repeat of the previous year. Pomona hadn't thought that something as niche as mandrakes would be desperately necessary for a school to keep on hand, so she'd long since made a habit of sending the roots onto St Mungo's. The practise wasn't something she'd stopped, necessarily, but she was certainly more conservative with her donations.

Pomona was proud to say that Hogwarts was home to the most robust set of magical greenhouses around, even if it did sometimes mean that if a rare ingredient was needed for something then she'd be the only one able to provide. Poppy was much more concerned about the thought of stab wounds from roaming madmen than petrifications this year, luckily enough. Fixing cuts was much less demanding on the greenhouses.

That wasn't to say Pomona wasn't doing her due diligence. She'd made a point to have a healthy stock of anything used in any curse remedy she could think of: bifurcated pears, sprite grass, pixie tongue, sizzling umbersprout; she still remembered the war, after all. Having what you needed to make the right thing at the right time was the difference between a lazy morning and a funeral when you were up against one of You-Know-Who's lot. Pomona did feel a little bad about it. Her poor NEWT students probably knew everything there was to know about growing curse remedies at this point.

Her next stop was greenhouse four to check up on the crawling pepper. The students were coming back soon enough, and the beginning of the year always brought fresh demand for pepper-up. Poppy'd have her head if she were caught lacking. Not that Pomona ever
had been for something that simple, but proper planning ensured there wouldn't be a first time. Thus resolved, she stowed her clipboard underneath her arm and opened the greenhouse door. The clipboard clattered to the ground.

"Oh," Pomona said. "Oh, dear."

"If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, Pomona," Professor Trelawney said. "These sorts of disasters can be averted by a nightly consultation of—"

"A nightly consultation of the chomping cabbage pen," Professor Sprout snapped.

Professor Trelawney answered with a frown that did nothing to match the one Professor Sprout was wearing. I wasn't sure whether to classify her as more indignant or murderous. "I would think that one such as yourself would see value in divining the future by observing the formation of a plant's roots."

"What I would see value in is a ward to keep hungry cabbages away from my crawling pepper." If looks could kill, I imagined that Professor McGonagall would have been rid of the divination professor ages back. Professor Sprout seemed to be giving it an honest go, though.

Harry ducked between Ron and I as we found our seats, but it was to no avail. Professor Trelawney snapped over to look at each of us with growing surprise and confusion. "Good morning to you all. Might I ask: are any of you dead?" We quickly looked between each other.

"Not last I checked."

"Nope."

"No, Professor."

"Are you sure? There's no shame in it." We gave another round of negatives and her shoulders slumped with disappointment. "Not even a little?"

Ron cocked his head to the side. "Now I think about it, I have been feeling a bit ill."

"I had a dream where I died," Harry offered helpfully.

Professor Trelawney's slump grew more pronounced. "I could have sworn. All my insights were clear: death on the dawn of the new year. I had thought it might be you, Harry, but perhaps…" She stood suddenly. "Fate decrees that I leave you, it seems. I must consult the sight." With that said, the professor stalked out of the Great Hall, muttering about celestial numerology the whole way.

The rest of the meal went on in numb silence save for Professor Sprout's quiet fuming. Harry was lost in a tangle of emotions I didn't know how to interpret, and only Ron's silent urging saw him eating anything at all. I couldn't blame him. Whatever the cooks had done, the food was nearly tasteless.

When Ron and I had finished eating and Harry had gotten about halfway through his plate, a small paper aeroplane flew into the hall and came to rest in the air in front of him. Harry reached out and unfolded it gingerly as if it might explode. I wasn't sure why. It looked like the same sort of charm that I'd read the Ministry used for its internal memos, and really, if anyone was going to be receiving howlers, it was going to be me.

He read the note quickly before showing it to Ron and I. It was short, but Professor Lupin's tight scrawl stood out to me immediately.

Harry,

In light of certain recent events, I feel we've a number of things to discuss. Please join me in my office as soon as you are able. There's someone here you might want to meet.

Professor R.J. Lupin

The rest of the paper was covered in a massive inky pawprint. Professor Sprout and the other two students had long since left the table by then, so I closed my eyes to get a grip on things.

It was easier to run away when he knew what was out there. Criminal or not, Harry wasn't without options. He didn't have any really good options, but that wasn't anything new. Even on the run for blowing up his Aunt Marge, even out on the street with nowhere to go, his situation hadn't really gotten any worse. It had just changed. There was Diagon Alley, and money in his account if he could manage to access it, and he had Hedwig.

Hedwig might have been the most important one of all of those things. Hedwig meant letters, and letters meant you and Ron. They were abroad, but they wouldn't be forever. You would come up with something clever that would fix everything, and Ron wouldn't hesitate to help however he could. Harry would just have to find somewhere safe to stay the night, and then he'd write.

A prickling feeling like being watched rose up on his neck, and Harry lit his wand with a whispered word only to see the distinct outline of some massive, monstrous beast watching him.

"We'll come with," I insisted. He'd never ask for help on his own, but I knew him too well to think he'd turn us away.

"We got you, mate." Ron bumped their shoulders together.

Harry opened his mouth and nodded slowly as he pushed to his feet, then finally spoke up. "Yeah, I mean… 'Course."

The walk through the halls would have been silent were it not for our soft footfalls echoing over stone. Harry was doing his best to put one foot in front of the other, Ron was trying to help by virtue of just being there, and I was watching. Observing, more accurately, given I wasn't looking with my eyes.

"Dunno why you're so nervous," Ron said with a roll of his eyes. "He's just Harry."

Ginny smacked his arm. "He's not just Harry, he's Harry Potter! The Boy-Who-Lived!"

"Blimey, he's gonna love you."

She lit up. "You think so? Because in Harry Potter and the Wicked Wyvern, he said—"

"Gin, if you go on about all that to him, he's gonna hate you," he grumbled. "He's just a kid like me, except with a scar and no parents. Now shove off. I'm trying to sleep."

Ron was easy to read. He always had been. There was a distinct layer of hope covering a vague miasma of concern, but both were directed outward. Harry was the clear recipient, as he so often was. It flowed into and through me, and I let it express itself immediately. I did hope the meeting with Sirius went well, and I was a bit concerned that it might not. Factually, I knew Sirius wanted nothing more than to be family to Harry, but concern felt familiar. It felt very Hermione to worry about something that might as well have been a sure thing.

Reading Harry himself was more difficult. It was starting to become a trend. He had this shell of fear and anxiety surrounding everything, but beneath that, it started to become confusing. There was shame, doubt, and what seemed like hatred all directed inward, as well as a dull shock that settled over everything. I couldn't blame him for that, at least. None of the things that had been dropped on him in the past couple of weeks were particularly small on their own. All together…

"You know, he used to sing you nursery rhymes." Altogether, it meant my concern and care for Harry all but forced me to try to comfort him.

Harry stopped in his tracks to look at me, and I could see his anxiety morph into shock as it spread across his face. "Really?"

"He did. I've been in his head, remember?" I have Harry a thin smile. "He used to think you were, quite literally, the most important person in the world. I'm pretty sure he still does."

"Sounds right. My dad's always talking about how our family are the most important people in the world to him," Ron said.

"I've never had anyone say something like that about me," Harry admitted softly.

"Come on, then." I gave a wary look around for any gossipping, lifeless portraits. "It's about time something got better for once."

In no time at all, the three of us were standing at the door to Lupin's office. It filled Ron's—and thus my—heart with hope when Harry raised his hand and knocked with no sign of hesitation but the slightest tremor. Almost immediately, the door opened to the sight of Professor Lupin, who offered Harry a smile and Ron and I a raised eyebrow. He quashed his surprise quickly, to his credit, and simply opened the door wider. "Come on in."

Lupin's office would have been homely if it weren't for the various creatures penned in enclosures dotting the walls. Besides the desk, there was a pleasant coffee table sat next to the fireplace on which two steaming cups of tea sat. Several red and gold armchairs surrounded the table, and there, facing us, was a gaunt and softly grinning Sirius Black.

"I can't do this, Prongs."

"Don't be ridiculous. I can't think of anyone better suited."

Sirius kept his eyes glued to the bundle his best friend was offering for him to take but made no move to receive it. "I'm being serious—"

"Who else would you be?" James asked with a laugh.

"James, I will fuck this up," Sirius admitted. "I will fuck this up so much worse than anyone has fucked anything up before. People will write history books about how badly I'll fuck this up. You've seen my family, haven't you? Do you really want that contaminating your kid?"

He didn't budge, though. "I don't see your family here, Sirius. All I see is my best friend getting too stuck in his own head again and refusing to hold his godson."

"And what if something happens to you and Lils?" Sirius pushed. James just rolled his eyes.

"That's what godparents are generally for, yeah."

"I'm not equipped for that!" That only earned a laugh.

"And you think I am? Sirius, I'm a dad now, and there's a bloody war on! Gods and Powers, I've never been so scared in my damned life! Look at me, Sirius." He did, and found James wearing that stubborn set he got in his jaw when he was about to do something either incredibly stupid or maddeningly brilliant. "I know what you're scared of. You're scared of being your parents, or your grandparents, or your cousins, but that's not who you are! Are you gonna teach Harry the blood right as praxis?"

"Don't be stupid."

James just raised an eyebrow. "You gonna dress him up and tell him you'll only love him if he's some perfect heir?"

"I thought I told you to stop being stupid."

"You gonna hurt Harry?"

"Never," Sirius swore. He'd have made it unbreakable then and there if James only asked, and both of them knew it.

"Good," James said, and proffered the bundle once more. "Now stop being daft and hold your godson or Lily will be cross."

The quip bought a nervous smile. "Just Lily?"

"I'll be cross too, but she's better at it."

"Point made." Sirius laughed and slowly reached out to take his godson for the very first time, being more careful with him than he'd ever been with anything else in his life. He swallowed in a vain attempt to try to get back some of the moisture nervousness had drained from his mouth before his face split into a wide, genuine smile.

"Hello, Harry," Sirius said gently. "You have no idea how nice it is to meet you."

Harry stood there numbly for a moment before finally finding his voice. "Hermione said you'd met me before."

"You were a bit smaller then. It's not quite the same, is it?"

"No," Harry agreed. "It's really not."

The anxiety from them, Ron, and Professor Lupin all rose slowly, but steadily. It quickly became clear that it fell to me to intervene. "Harry, are you gonna be okay?"

He glanced over at me for a moment before nodding quickly. "Yeah, I mean, he's my godfather, right?"

"That's right," Sirius said.

"And Professor Lupin's here, so…" The professor gave Harry what he probably meant to be an encouraging smile. "I think I'll be fine."

I sapped from Sirius' swell of delicate affection and painted it across my face, looking between him and Harry as they stared at each other. "I think so, too. Come on," I said to Ron as I grabbed his sleeve and pulled him in the direction of the door. "Let's give them some privacy."

"We'll be just outside, yeah?" Ron called back, and I shut the door behind us, leaving us in Professor Lupin's classroom. It was more than passing strange to see it so empty. I'd have kept pulling Ron all the way to the common room, but he'd already promised we wouldn't be going anywhere. It wouldn't do to make him a liar. Promises were important.

I found a seat near the front of the room—my usual seat, I reminded myself—and slouched into it with a sigh. Ron perched up on the desk in front of me, watching the door to the office. "You really think they'll be alright?" Ron asked.

"When we walked into that room, I was Sirius for a moment," I said softly in lieu of answering. "I was him the very first time he ever held Harry."

The emotions from the memory woke and pushed themselves through my heart: all the nervous fear, soaring hope, featherlight elation, and bone-deep affection. Then came Ron's care for Harry and I, then Harry's hope, and Professor Lupin's anxiety. Radiant joy bloomed from somewhere within the office—distinctly Harry's, I'd recognise him anywhere—and Sirius' rose to match it even as his stomach sank into a pit of barely suppressed fear. It all rose through me in a flood at once, making me feel all of them in their fullness. I couldn't stop it, but I didn't want to. It was too much, but at the same time it wasn't anywhere near enough.

I took off my sunglasses as I noticed I was crying and felt Ron's worry as he patted my back. "It's all… I just… You know, for the first time ever," I said, looking him in the eyes as I smiled through my tears. "I think that Harry's gonna be okay."

"Yeah?" Ron asked, clearly unsure what to do with me and worried as anything.

"Yeah," I nodded.

"That's good. I'm happy for him, really," he said slowly. "I uh… I'm gonna be honest, I don't know why you're crying about something good like this, but I figured that, er…" Ron fumbled for words for a moment but eventually gave up. Instead, he opted to reach into his robe pocket and produce a little white diary. "I got one of your journal-diary-things here if you want. Grabbed it just in case. For if you need to write down your feelings or whatever."

He offered it to me warily and I took it, but I didn't bother to give it more than a moment's thought. It wasn't necessary, and writing about my feelings would probably read more like a banking account summary than a diary anyway.

"I think I'm fine," I said as truthfully as I could. "And honestly? Between you and me?" I threw the book down onto the desk with a dull thump as Ron's concern grew. "I've about had enough of diaries."

This one wasn't beta read due to real life reasons, so it might not be up to normal spec (the start of the chapter's supposed to be like that though, promise). Additionally, updates may be spotty for the next several weeks for other real life reasons and so I can make sure I have all my story beats for the next arc plotted. Might be messy otherwise. C'est la vie. It's good timing, at least. This is our last chapter in this small post-ritual segment of time. Next chapter'll be when the other students (including Luna!) get back.

Gotta say, that starting bit was one of the coolest dream sequences I can remember reading about. It was a bit hard to separate out the wildly-swapping viewpoints at times, especially since some of those individual threads were, themselves, nigh-nonsensical dreams, but like... that's what made it so much fun to puzzle out.

I wonder if that's going to be a nightly occurrence for Hermione-Silence, now, or if it's something that's flaring up especially badly now since the fusion is still finalizing. Also wondering if the Silence portion of that gestalt was able to remember it any better than the Hermione part, and if that might end up being relevant later for something learned in either this or a subsequent dream.

Also, I can't help but think that last Memory of the chapter, with Sirius holding baby Harry, could be an ever-so-rare instance where a dementor's touch was appreciated in the moment - we already know that the Memory-donors relive the events while Hermione does, and that was a lot happier thing to recall than the usual fare.

That starting part was really hard for me. Second half of the chapter was as brilliant as the rest of the story has been, but I really struggled to understand what was happening in that first section.

Here's my best shot at a key -

Harry's dream:
Harry was sat in his cupboard, just like always. His aunt and uncle were outside talking about how Vernon had pummelled a freak with massive drills at work that day. Dudley was sat just outside the door, talking about how much fun it would be to join in. Harry curled up and magicked the lights off and tried to make himself small to hide, but the cupboard only seemed to shrink to squeeze him in.

There was screaming somewhere outside. Someone was screaming. There was a high, cruel laugh and screaming that only grew louder and louder until Harry had to clamp his hands to his ears in order to hear.

The screaming stopped.

A paw scratched against the outside of Harry's cupboard door as

[...]

Harry must have been imagining things, because there was a dog waiting in the living room. A big, black, furry dog with glowing red eyes. It must have been the size of a horse, it was so big. Aunt Petunia would hate it, but she was nowhere to be seen. There was a letter held softly in its mouth. Harry reached up slowly and took it with one quick yank.

"It's for me," Harry said without looking. "We have to go to Diagon Alley." The dog—Sirius—barked his agreement.

[...]

Harry took it in stride.

The dog gave Harry a leash to put on him, which Harry did. It was only polite. In response, the dog yanked him forward. Out of the cupboard, out of the living room, and out of the house. Number 4 Privet Drive disappeared from thought as they ran along the sidewalk.

"You have your mother's eyes, Harry," the dog said.

"I know."

"And your father's eyebrows."

Harry scrunched them up. "I know."

"And your great-grandmother's toenails."

"I know," Harry lied.

[...]

he did see the dog give him a wink.

It held up a bone in its mouth and tapped it against the brick wall. Bricks folded away to expose Diagon Alley. The dog kept leading him forward. "I've been watching you, Harry."

"I thought you were a death omen," Harry admitted.

The dog reared back and laughed like a hyena. "Not to you I'm not."

[...]

the hustle and bustle of Diagon Alley pierced through it.

"Fresh rats! Come get your fresh rats on a stick!"

Harry handed Mr Fortescue a few coins because the dog didn't have hands to do it. Mr Fortescue smiled and handed a sick, diseased-looking rat on a stick to both Harry and the dog. Harry took a bite and found it tasted like cotton candy. It cried out in fear, but

[...]

The dog scowled in response.

"Your family sucks," it said.

"Yeah."

The dog thought about it for a second. "We'll get you a new one at the store."

They walked across Diagon Alley to the Burrow and went inside. The door jingled like a shop's ought to as they entered. Harry noticed that his name was on the clock. Mrs Weasley, Mr Weasley, Fred, George, Ron, Ginny, and us were all sitting at the table eating rats we'd taken off of the stick.

[...]

Everyone else voiced their agreement.

We looked up at him with hollow sockets from beneath our tattered cloak and smiled. "Nice things never happen to Harry Potter or the people he cares about."

"It's your fault, you know," the dog chimed in. "All of it. Just saying."

Mrs Weasley spoke up in a pleasant, calming voice. "It's because you're not good enough. You don't deserve any of this. Now eat your peas, dear."

Ron's dream:
[...]
Hagrid ushered the class over. "Gather round, everyone! Got somethin' ter show yeh!" They followed his lead, though the Slytherins spat and jeered as they approached. Ron couldn't help but laugh at them.

"I figured we'd start off strong today," the massive man said. "So I got some o' my most interestin' creatures!" The fireplace in the office punctuated his point by crackling warmly.

[...]

There was a call from the brightly lit grounds. "Best pay attention now!" The massive man walked over to the paddock he'd covered in a massive tarp, flicked his umbrella once, and the tarp disappeared. Standing there in the paddock was a hippogriff at least twice the size of Hagrid.

"I'll go first!" Harry called out and walked up to the paddock. He bowed for a second. The hippogriff bowed back for only a moment before reaching down and swallowing Harry whole.

Hagrid laughed loud enough to shake the trees. "Isn't tha' interestin'?"

[...]

"It's death, then." Professor Quirrel walked up to the paddock holding a hefty axe. His words were hissed as if he was only just keeping from slipping into parseltongue. "We'll have to put him down." His words were hissed as if he was only just keeping from slipping into parseltongue.

Hagrid hugged the hippogriff around its thick leg and began to sob. "Not Buckbeak!" he cried, but

[...]

the executioner was unhindered.

Quirrel raised his axe high and beheaded the massive creature in one stroke. Ron turned to face us, but the head of the hippogriff began to laugh and laugh and laugh. Its feathers and skin began to melt off, leaving behind a pile of sludge and bleached white bone. It just kept laughing. The Slytherins all joined in to ring in a terrible chorus.

They began to melt, too, and

[...]

"Hermione, you have to fix it!" Ron called out to us.

We cocked our head and smiled, and he noticed that our cloak had returned to us and that our eyes had gone; only empty, blackened pits remained. "Silly, ickle Ronniekins," we said. "I can't fix anything anymore. I've made sure of it."

"Nice things don't happen anymore," Ron said like he'd finally realised something simple.

Sirius, Remus, and Dumbledore's meeting:
[...]
Sirius had to admit, the old man was always a sight for sore eyes. He had this long habit of finding you when you were stuck waist-deep in the rapids of shit creek just to hand you a boat, paddle, and a damn thorough cleaning charm for the road. The office was familiar as anything—he was not unfamiliar with the concept of late-night visits to the headmaster's office—but that tired, determined expression felt out of place for the location. He'd seen it a thousand times before back during the war, but it felt wrong to see it in a setting where he was far more used to the sight of twinkly eyes not-quite approving of his moonlit antics.

With a look like that on his face, letting the old man take the lead was more than just common sense; it was survival instinct. Sometimes though, survival was wallowing in the dark with a drink in hand.

[...]

Of course, every word out of Dumbledore's mouth tended to be interesting.

"We can only assume that the Umbrists—those whose politics indicate they might have once supported Lord Voldemort, Sirius—will have their own plans for how to deal with Peter," Dumbledore continued. "They tend to look to Lucius Malfoy for direction."

Sirius shook his head quickly, sunken eyes lost in thought. "Not unless he's grown a spine in the twelve years I've been put away. I'd bet you anything they answer to Cissy, and if I know her, then her best-case scenario is if the rat wakes up dead one morning. Can't say I'd complain either if it weren't for Harry."

Remus reeled back. Only a few hours back in his life and Sirius was surprising him in a way he hadn't for years before he went to Azkaban. "Why would she want that? I thought she was never loyal to Voldemort."

"No, but I do know I never saw half the people that should be in Azkaban with me. I'll bet they're the ones making up her power base." He looked up to Dumbledore, then continued at his nod. "Besides that, it'd probably be some fucked up family loyalty thing for her." Left unsaid was that they'd do what they needed to do to ensure she failed.

[...]

It was a conclusion that didn't make any sense to Remus.

"She hated you," Remus said.

"Never said she didn't."

"Then why would she kill Peter? That only hurts you."

Sirius barked a dry laugh. "Family loyalty only goes so far, even to her. Getting revenge on my behalf? Sure. Easy. Letting her sock-puppet of a husband get tried in the Wizengamot again? Not happening." He turned back to the headmaster. "Much as I hate to say it, you'd best have some damn thorough protection going if you want the traitor to survive the week."

[...]

Dumbledore offered a tired, wry smile in response that warmed Sirius' bones for the first time in over a decade.

"I may not have any particularly direct control over the aurory," the old man said, "but it seems that there is absolutely nothing that prevents a concerned citizen from sending a few anonymous letters to some choice reporters."

"Oh, that's good. Can't kill the bastard without it ending up plastered all over the morning news." Sirius returned the headmaster's smile with a rotten, toothy grin that probably scared Moony, but he found he didn't have it in him to care all that much. "When are we sending them out?"

"Six hours ago, by my accounting."

[...]

the walk back to the teacher's quarters was near-silent.

Remus couldn't help but notice Sirius' eyes repeatedly glazing over only for him to come back to awareness and twitchily scan every corner and shadow in the castle. He looked desperately ill at ease, as if at any moment something might jump from the shadows and attack. The dim light put his sunken cheeks and stretched skin in stark relief. Even the way he walked had been corrupted. Where once Sirius had held his head high as if in defiance to the world, now his every feature slumped as if he were a perched vulture.

Every time he found a new thing to focus on—a new way that Azkaban had seeped into his best friend's every aspect—he thought it couldn't possibly hurt any more than it already did. Every time, he was wrong. Remus ached to reach out to bridge the distance between them but found he had absolutely no idea what to say. The silence continued until

[...]

He was still awake though, because Remus was hesitating at the door, keeping Sirius from getting his first sleep in a proper bed in over a decade.

"I confess to being shocked that you didn't give into thoughts of revenge," Moony eventually said quietly. He always said things almost too quietly to hear when he was feeling conflicted about something. At least that hadn't changed. "I'll admit to having more than a few thoughts leaning that way myself."

Sirius scoffed. "Who said I didn't? Harry's more important, though. That Granger girl reminded me of that."

"It must have been some argument to convince you. I know how you are when you get going."

[...]

Sirius' answer to that was simple.

"She reminds me of Lily."

Remus boggled at that. "How so?"

"Brilliant and she knows it; mad and she doesn't."

Minerva drinking herself to sleep:
[...]
The old bottle of scotch had sat for years waiting for the right moment, but had been all but drained in a few short hours. It was expensive for good reason: fermented with gnome grass and aged in a pixie dust-lined barrel sat in the shade of a wood nymph's tree for most of a decade. She'd bought it as a treat for herself at the end of the war.

It was a drink meant to be savoured. The guilt of doing it injustice was minuscule next to everything else. Even the oldest wounds would reopen in an instant to the right provocation, but the tincture needed to reseal them only ever got more potent. The scotch would have to do.

[...]

Failure was a part of life, but Minerva was sure that only a scarce few people were in the unfortunate position of failing as spectacularly and as often as she had. Sirius Black was a student, a comrade-in-arms, and a friend. The fact she'd turned her back on him as quickly as she had was nothing less than deepest betrayal. She believed that few deserved death and none deserved Azkaban, but it had been so very easy to turn a blind eye to a man she believed to be a traitor. Minerva had felt so very righteous imagining guilt in her blindness.

[...]

He wasn't the last student she'd failed, and he certainly wasn't the first. Any student clever and curious enough for her to think of as the brightest of their age deserved better than the lot they'd been given. Far,
far, better than her clumsy attempts at outreach provided.

Albus had spoken of stress. To wander off into the frozen over Forbidden Forest in the middle of the night when it was known to be infested by dementors and suspected to play host to a man thought to be a mass murderer while speaking of
stress, of all things, could only ever lead to one horrific conclusion.

[...]

It was too little, too late. Minerva had known the girl was worried for her friends. She felt pressured to protect them, even. Maybe if Minerva had asked after her a little more often, been a little more insistent when she inquired into her wellbeing, showed a bit more care to her concerns, helped her more to adjust to her change in magic, or even been more lenient with her, things might have turned out differently. Children got more private as they aged, she knew that. She should have accounted for it, but she didn't.

Gone was the girl who would come to her Head of House with all her concerns. All that remained was the one who would have no doubt weighed all the options presented to her before deciding to put an end to things. It was Minerva's responsibility, and thus Minerva's failure. There was no other way to see it, but

[...]

she let the liquor lull her to sleep. It promised punishment when morning came, and she couldn't help but think it just.

[...]

Minerva didn't hear him though, because she was wandering through the woods, sprinting between the looming trees. There were faces she knew in the bodies strewn amongst the ground. All of them were people she knew; people she'd fought with. People she'd taught. They were a tide of failure after failure, but she kept running, and she kept searching the faces. She had to, otherwise she'd forget. Everyone would forget, but she never would. She refused

It was the second head of curly hair that she found lying face-up in the dirt that put an end to her search. Finally seeing our defiled form, she fell to her knees and felt the heavens open as she cried to anyone who would listen.

Huh, so is Hermilence on her way to becoming some kind of mental hive/hub for the people around her? The way everyone's dreams all flowed together makes me think everyone she mind-tastes ends up connected together for a time afterwards while she's dream-digesting everything she's sipped throughout the previous day.

Immersion - 28
Petty love, as ever, is made for the taking. Melancholy words whispered from madman to lonely child ease his pain, yet birth sufferings yet unknown. The madman's leaving for the lioness' den sees no end to tales of marauders past, though melancholy whispers shift to water-stained parchment.

The lioness herself keeps a close eye for evidence of the warlock's lie, disheartened by what she sees. Blinded by her grief, she makes welcome practice for the deceit of being human.

Immersion

The start of term brought a number of things with it. There was an end to the quiet in the halls that I'd become so very aware of since my realisation about the portraits. In its place was the hustle and bustle of people. Each of them was flush with emotion, turmoil, and memories of their own. I'd never been presented with such stimulation before; the headache was quickly making itself known as a constant. Every second since the doors opened to admit Hogwarts' beloved students once more had been a fight against myself to not hide away in some dark hole, if only to be left alone. It was too much to experience, and certainly too much too keep. In overstimulation, I let treasure troves of foreign emotion slip through my fingers.

Luckily, the start of term brought a welcome distraction in the form of classes. Unluckily, a return to classes meant one thing.

"It has been brought to my attention that many of you have gained what meagre success in my class as you have managed not due to your own work, but by riding the backs of others'. This state of affairs ends today."

Professor Snape.

"As such, I will be selecting your partners. Granger!" He directed a glare at me filled with a fury the likes of which I suspected only he and I were aware of. "You will be partnered with Patil at the far side of the room."

Snape swished his hand dismissively at the brewing station furthest from the centre of the classroom before moving on with his roll call. I made my way over and sat just in time for a bubbling mass of hatred pointed squarely at me to approach.

Padma hadn't been moving for weeks, but that didn't stop Parvati from coming to visit every day to talk. She was the older sister (even if only by a few minutes). That meant she had a duty to take care of Padma. It was her most important job; Father had said so. And while she might not be able to do anything about something going around petrifying people, she could still be there. She had to be, really, because what else could she do?

"So just when Professor Trelawney starts going into how you can read love-lines from someone's palm, in comes Peeves with an armful of water balloons! The boys loved it, especially Weasley. You'd think he'd get enough of that from those brothers of his, but no, he's hooting and hollering like an erumpent while Peeves is throwing this water balloons around. I can't imagine why Lavender likes him, the tosser."

That was normally the point where Padma would come in with something insightful, or something snarky. She didn't, though. She didn't do much of anything. The absence hurt every time, but every time she pushed on through the tears like a good big sister ought to.

"So Trelawney, right? You should've seen the look on her face—"

"Hello, Parvati," I said as she sat, politely ignoring her wash of despair as it bled into righteous anger.

"I must have done something awful for Snape to partner me with you," she grumbled.

"I'm not any happier about it than you are." My lack of emotion regarding the situation at all went unmentioned. "Let's just get through it."

Parvati simply huffed in response.

"Now," Snape cut through the chatter as people found their seats, "today we are going to be brewing a potion that any Defence professor worth their position would have no doubt taught you the name of by now." He flicked his wand, and a piece of chalk began jotting down ingredients on the chalkboard. "Are any of you capable of telling me what this potion is and what it will do if brewed correctly?"

I watched the chalk intently. Powdered salamander teeth, merfolk scale, essence of brightroot— Ah. Somehow, I got the sense that Snape had it out for me personally.

"I suppose you think you would know, wouldn't you Granger?" he asked as soon as I put my hand up, earning a flood of humour from the Slytherin side of the class. "Very well then, enlighten us."

"It's duskfinder draught, sir," I answered, ignoring his empty, sadistic glee. "If a thaumically Dark creature touches it, then it will glow. It's useful for detecting things that can pass as human, like vampires." And werewolves, and me, but I didn't quite feel the need to mention that.

Without a word of acknowledgement, he turned to the rest of the class. "A most curious potion. All it takes is the lightest caress of a single hair from a Dark creature to set a whole cauldron full of duskfinder draught alight. Any aspiring auror will find it absolutely indispensable for identifying things in places where they shouldn't be." If he was any less petty, and if I had the emotion to spare, I might have admired the fact that he managed to say all of that with an even tone. As it was, I didn't think that there was anybody in the class save for me that could read the vindictive anticipation he was feeling.

"Instructions are on the board," he finally called out with a wave of the hand. "Get to it."

Quick to get away from me, Parvati ran off to retrieve the ingredients we would need. As soon as she got back, I took to preparing the ingredients while she set up the cauldron. No words were said, which suited me just fine. I was not eager to poke the bubbling pot of resentment beside me. I'd thought she hated me, once. Now though, I'd felt how she hated me, and I'd felt how Sirius hated Pettigrew. They compared, but only in the way that the sun could be likened to a light bulb. Leashing her petty resentment and turning it into annoyance at Snape was simple.

I poured the ingredients into the cauldron one by one as Parvati stirred the pot; clockwise three times, then counterclockwise five, then repeat. Finally, once the last ingredient had been added and the solution had darkened to a dull purple colour, it began to glow. Slowly at first, then progressively brighter as Parvati kept stirring. Shock filled me (courtesy of Parvati beside me) as I watched. I hadn't touched the mixture, and I'd been exceedingly careful to keep my hair in place, but…

The ingredients. I must have left something behind on the ingredients. Skin flakes or oil, something of the like.

"Granger?" Snape loomed over Patil and I, having appeared before our cauldron as quick as if he'd apparated. Of course he'd have anticipated my mistake. "Is there something you wish to share with the class?"

"No, Professor," I said.

"You mean to tell me that you are not secretly a vampire, werewolf, or anything else that might cause a properly brewed duskfinder draught to glow of its own accord?" He was loving the melodrama, I could feel it.

"No, Professor."

"Then it seems that you must have brewed your potion improperly." Parvati's shock faded into naked suspicion as Professor Snape pitched his voice to address the rest. "If the technical execution of the potion is correct, the slightest error in the preparation of the ingredients for duskfinder will lead to it glowing without provocation." Snape pressed his finger to the inside of the mortar and pestle, then raised it up to examine it. "Just as I thought. Your salamander teeth have been ground, not powdered. I had thought that we had covered proper terms for reagent preparation in first year, but it seems the lesson has not stuck. I will see you Thursday evening after dinner for remedial lessons, Granger. Do not be late."

"Yes, sir," I ground out, burning out the last of Parvati's resentment. While I did need a proper excuse to see him for Dumbledore's plan, I attended half of my classes with Slytherins; I had my pride.

Satisfied, he vanished the contents of the cauldron, spun on his heel, and walked away, leaving Parvati free to stare at me quizzically. I tried to get a better read on her, but the humour from the Slytherin side of the lass drowned her out. I tried to ignore it. Before long, the bells were ringing, and I was meeting Harry and Ron in the halls.

I hadn't really seen much of Harry since introducing him to Sirius. Until school started and he was carted off to places unknown for safe keeping, the two of them had spent most of their time playing a life's worth of catch-up. Neither Ron or I could blame him. That isn't to say that I wasn't keeping tabs. Harry would always return to the common room bursting with emotion, and he didn't really mind reliving parts of it when Silence saw fit to pry. Parting wasn't enough to stop the flow of communication, though. We'd been back in classes two days, and Harry had received a letter on each from Padfoot.

Ron, for his part, had stuck right by me, reading books like Quidditch Tricks from the Serval Six! and playing gobstones while I tried to catch up with my schoolwork and finish a few personal things that needed done before school started. It was lucky that he found ritual casting interesting to watch, though he'd never be caught dead drafting a ritual himself.

The first thing I'd set to work on had been a replacement for my hairpin. Unfortunately, that didn't at all mean that it was the first thing I'd finished. The enchanted dish for Crookshanks had come first. I'd told Sirius about the idea one of the times Harry had dragged Ron and I along to see him, and he'd insisted that a friend as good as Crooks more than deserved it. I agreed of course, but I couldn't help but feel that he was compensating for other friendships I could name.

Not that I'd ever say that out loud. I wasn't heartless.

So, the hairpin replacement hadn't been finished. It didn't help that delicate, self-sustaining, projected, and context-sensitive glamours were difficult to anchor into enchantments, and it certainly didn't help that I really had fallen behind on my schoolwork. Both sides of me railed against the idea of unmet obligations, so school had taken priority. As it stood, I was ritual casting spells that Professor Dumbledore had provided every morning to glamour my eyes and darken my sight to something sensible. And, of course, I could only ask Babbling maybe one out of every ten questions I had unless I wanted her to ask some questions of her own.

Luna could probably help, but, well… I'd been avoiding Luna.

"So," Ron broached once we'd set into the halls, "did you hear about today's Prophet?" It was a bit of a silly question. Everyone in the UK would have heard about that morning's Prophet.

Harry snorted with a quick look to make sure that nobody was listening in too obviously before muttering beneath his breath. "Took them long enough. Only been, what, a couple weeks?"

"Guess they wanted to get sorted before they announced anything. Not a small thing, is it?" Ron asked.

"Don't see what there is to sort."

"It's politics, Harry," I sighed, borrowing some exasperation from Draco the day before, of all people. "Sirius is the head of the House of Black—which is a big deal, for the record—and they didn't take time to sort him out, did they? The problem is, they didn't take the time to sort a lot of people out. Most of them were probably Death Eaters, but what if some of them weren't? They might need to give all of them trials, and if they do that, then some actual Death Eaters might go free. I know for a fact that Minister Fudge is worried about it."

"How do you…" Ron started to ask, but I gave him a look, widening my eyes pointedly. "Right. That. Yep." He tried to mask how unnerved he was, but it really just left him looking sort of queasy. I wasn't quite sure why he tried, really. He knew that I could read him. Attempting to be anything short of genuine about his discomfort was a lost cause. It wasn't like I had it in me to care most of the time anyway.

"Hold on," Harry said. "So you're saying that when they do Pettigrew's trial…"

"I'll bet that Pettigrew himself is a bit of a foregone conclusion. They're probably actually going to be arguing over whether or not to give a trial to everyone who didn't get one," I confirmed.

Ron let out a heavy sigh. "Dad always said that politics was stupid."

"But—" Harry's voice and temper rose enough that I was almost surprised when he had the presence of mind to look around, find an empty classroom, and drag both of us in by the sleeves, shutting the door behind with a heavy thud. "But Sirius is innocent! Pettigrew's the one who did it, anyone can see that!"

"Yes," I agreed, "and he'll probably get off, and Pettigrew will probably go to Azkaban, but there will probably just be a lot of arguing before then. Besides that, he's got Dumbledore on side."

"Dumbledore's great and all, and I'm sure he scares Voldemort plenty, but how does having the Headmaster of Hogwarts on side help him?"

I was too busy wondering how Harry had got this far with such massive gaps in his knowledge to answer, so Ron provided in my stead. "Mate, Dumbledore's the Chief Warlock. He's in charge of all those gits, sort of. From what my Mum and Dad say, having him step up to defend someone's sort of a big deal. It'll work out."

"Besides," I said, "even if Sirius wasn't innocent, I bet there's plenty of people that want the House of Black to owe them a favour."

"So it's just… politics? You practically handed them the man who killed my parents, and they might not let Sirius go free because of politics?" I answered with a shrug and a sad smile. "That's mental."

"According to Mum, that's how it usually is," Ron said. "Now come on. Let's go get dinner."

"Come in, Miss Granger."

I entered Professor McGonagall's office wearily, closing the door behind me. Between dealing with the overstimulation of the crush of the student body's emotions, keeping an eye out for Luna, and Harry's sulking, it had been a truly exhausting day. Spending an afternoon with Professor McGonagall was a welcome break from it all. Given how lax she'd been the day before and the odd guilt she had surrounding me, I imagined that was her intent.

"I'm here for detention, Professor," I said. She looked up from where she was grading papers at her desk to give me a tight smile.

"Good. Just as yesterday, this time is yours. Do whatever it is that you need to do, whether that means catching up on homework or something else."

Guilt laced her every word, though I wasn't really sure why. Wisps of something half-remembered bearing the answer fluttered through my mind, frustratingly out of reach. It was like trying to recall a dream. Regardless, I sat down and pulled out my homework. Arithmancy was first; just a short essay about how the significance of numbers changed in different disciplines of magic.

Before too long, I became keenly aware of the Professor watching me. Waves of guilt and grief wafted off her, though she remained impassive when I chanced to look at her face. Curiosity overcame me, and I closed my eyes with a sigh.

The unruly fifth year sat across Minerva's desk, arms crossed and glaring. Were she any other student, she'd have been slouching. "With all due respect," the girl said, and her tone betrayed that the respect she felt was due was very little indeed. "I'm not sure why I'm talking to you instead of my Head of House. I'm not one of your lions."

Minerva wanted to say that she might have been, in a kinder world, but knew it would be taken as a grave insult rather than the earnest compliment it was. "You may not be, but the boy you saw fit to assault in the halls is. Slughorn decided to allow me to handle the situation."

"How generous," the girl drawled.

"Quite."

"So, what will my punishment be?" the student asked with an air of disinterest. "Scrubbing cauldrons? Cleaning out the hippogriff pens? Helping Pomfrey out with whatever it is she does during the day?"

Minerva raised an eyebrow. "That depends entirely on why you thought it appropriate to hex Mister Digson in the halls."

"Because he's a blood traitor. What other reason do I need?" She stuck her nose up, but Minerva had known this girl for too many years to fall for the ruse.

"Miss Black, come now. You and I both know that you are far too intelligent to think that I would believe that." Several seconds passed with no answer coming. "Previously, your sister and Mister Digson seemed quite close, didn't they? Recently, they've been keeping a distance in class that suggests they're not so close anymore. Might this have anything to do with that?"

Bellatrix grit her teeth and turned her nose up, telling Minerva all she needed to know.

"Whether you believe it or not, I am on your side, Miss Black. I want to help you. However, I cannot do that if you insist on taking out your temper on other people every time something happens."

Minerva's favourite student huffed. "So you're on my side, but only if I do what you say? I suppose you think this makes you kind."

"I do not think that refraining from assaulting your peers is an unreasonable term, Miss Black."

"Well, I don't think that means you're on my side, does it?" Bellatrix said. "Now, what will my punishment be?"

Whatever it was that I had expected, that had not been it. Whatever comparison Professor McGonagall was making in her head, I wasn't entirely sure that I liked it.

Bellatrix Black. 'Bella' to Narcissa, 'Trixie' to Sirius, and now one of Professor McGonagall's previous favourite students. All accounts save for Professor McGonagall's said she was mad as a hatter, and had been locked up in Azkaban for serving Voldemort. The more that I thought about it, the more I became quite certain that I did not, in fact, like the comparison.

Regardless of the feelings I could spare, the memory circled through my head over and over as I worked through my homework, finishing Arithmancy and moving on to writing up an analysis of Crookshanks' new food bowl for Babbling. I wasn't sure how much of the fixation was me and how much of it was feedback from Professor McGonagall doing the same, but it meant that I got less done than I'd have hoped.

"Miss Granger," the professor eventually said, pulling me out of my homework. There was a sort of warm apprehension coming from her that I wasn't quite sure how to place.

"Yes, Professor?"

"I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that no matter what you may think, your professors are on your side. I in particular, as your Head of House, would be more than happy to help you sort through any particular personal issue you might be having."

"Thank you, Professor," I said calmly. It may have clearly meant a lot to her to say for whatever reason, but it didn't mean that I was in any position to actually take her up on her offer.

"I would also note that there are many problems that may seem insurmountable when you first face them, but turn out to be quite temporary. Seeking a… drastic solution for these sorts of things is the sort of thing which is worth discussing with the people you trust before you carry through." She hesitated. "You can trust me, Hermione."

I offered her a smile I didn't feel, despite having little to no idea what she was talking about. "I'll keep that in mind."

"That is all I ask. Now, I think I've held you long enough. Your detention is over for the night. I'll see you back here at the same time tomorrow." She tightened her grasp on her emotions enough that even I could barely tell what she was feeling anymore. "Have a good night, Miss Granger."

I quickly gathered my things and made my way to the door. "Good night, Professor," I said, closing it behind me and putting an end to a thoroughly confusing experience.

With the resumption of quidditch practice, the revelation that I was probably the scariest thing in the castle behind Snape, and the fact that losing my temper was mostly not a thing that my new self was capable of, Harry and Ron were happy to leave me unguarded once more. It wasn't like I suddenly cared about watching quidditch practice, and it wasn't like they were suddenly fascinated by the ins and outs of enchanting, so it worked out fine.

The result was that I was left alone in Hogswatch with Hogwarts itself being the only soul in reach. It was enough of a relief that I opted to burn some of the Weasley twins' joy to properly appreciate it.

The topic of the day was my replacement for my hairpin. It was proving to be more of a challenge than I expected. Getting the enchantment to dim light down to a certain level was easy; only a single rune needed swapped from the original. It took a couple tries to figure out what the right target light level was, but that had only taken a few hours.

No, the problem was the glamour. Casting a temporary glamour with a wand (or ritual) was easy. The teen magazines Lavender and Parvati loved to giggle about were absolutely full of fashion glamours. Temporarily changing one's features with a potion was a bit harder than that, and certainly more tedious. Transfiguration was an option, but human (and human-adjacent) transfiguration was a NEWT-level task. That wasn't to say that I wasn't up to it necessarily, but it could be dangerous, and I'd modified myself quite enough for one year already.

Casting a glamour from an enchanted artefact however, was an exercise in frustration. Static glamours were fairly easy, sure, but I was glamouring my eyes. I did still need to blink. Therein lay the problem. Any glamour projected from an artefact, no matter how well made, had a tendency to stray from where you wanted it if the artefact was jostled at all. Glamour enchantments were also significantly more susceptible than most to change as a result of ambient magic. That was all well and good if you were trying to project an image over yourself that was larger than your body. Less so if you wanted to glamour the eyes specifically. They were too small, too fast moving, and too fiddly.

Babbling had told me to give it up as a bad job when I'd asked about it. While I could tell that she didn't want me to give up entirely given that we were out for peer review on an innovation I'd come up with, she truly didn't seem to think it was possible. After at least a week of trial and error and an embarrassing amount of failed experiments, I was beginning to agree.

The sound of Sir Fabeon admitting someone into Hogswatch drew my attention away from my work. I must have been working for longer than I'd thought if quidditch practice was already over. I closed my eyes to get a sense of how the boys were feeling, and—

The night was cold, but Daddy's hand was just as warm as always. The air was still, but the world swirled and swirled around and around, twisting Luna up like wind in her hair until she couldn't help but twirl around, taking Daddy with her. They laughed, and giggled, and span amongst the moonglow lilies as the hours waned on and on.

Then, when the wind kicked up, bringing a shudder of something new, Luna plucked the flower from her hair and kissed words into it. "Goodbye, Hermione," she whispered, and let the wind carry her moonglow wherever it would.

"Hello, Hermione," Luna's tranquil voice filtered in from the door, sending a jolt of the fear Colin felt every time he saw me shooting down my spine.

"Hello, Luna," I managed, staring carefully down at my work. I'd banished my glamour when I thought I wouldn't be disturbed. The illusion pressed against my eyes didn't itch exactly, but I was certainly aware of it. Shame stolen from Ron coursed through me. It was irrational, but I didn't want Luna to see me as I was. Despite me not looking up to greet her, Luna's emotions betrayed nothing but curiosity and earnest joy at seeing me as she padded over and sat down next to me on the couch, quickly leaning down to examine the sheaves of parchment arrayed on the table.

The silence stretched on for a few minutes as I watched her inspect my work before she turned to the side and looked me in the eyes faster than I could think to react. "Have you thought about using an applicator?"

"I'm sorry?" Confusion was easy to find in a school when I wasn't too overstimulated to keep it; feeling it for myself was less common. As ever, Luna proved to be the exception.

Rather than responding with words, she dug in her bag for a moment and produced a small, silvery tube. Popping off its cap, she pressed it down onto my arm, leaving a sickle-sized illusion of a bowtruckle where it touched. "Makeup companies like to enchant an applicator to cast a glamour. The glamour itself isn't an enchantment that way, so it doesn't go dancing in the wind. Daddy says those companies are all part of a conspiracy to turn people into mannequins though, so he made me this one, see?" She replaced the cap and showed me the tube's shimmering label reading 'Quibbler Cosmetics' on the side.

There were a lot of specific varieties to emotions, I'd discovered. Anger and annoyance were similar, but had very different flavours. I could sort of manipulate one into the other once I had them banked, but the process was more costly on the reserve than simply feeling it as is. The particular sense of shame one felt when they realised that they'd overlooked something that should have been obvious, however, was something I'd managed to scrape plenty of.

"I don't know if I ever would have thought of that," I admitted.

"It's okay," Luna hummed. "You wouldn't be very happy as a mannequin anyway. So, what sort of glamour are you trying to make?"

She looked straight into my eyes as she said it, and that same shame kept its place as I looked back. Of all things, expecting Luna Lovegood to be afraid of me when she hadn't blinked at either half was probably the dumbest thing I'd ever thought.

"My eyes, Luna."

"What about them?"

"They're not human," I answered.

She cocked her head to the side at that. "Why would your eyes be human when you aren't?"

"Most people don't know I'm not human anymore," I said. "The glamour is to keep it that way."

With curiosity on her mind, Luna looked me up and down, then rubbed her hand along my arm, and actually leaned up to sniff me. If I didn't remember what it was like to be her, I'm sure it would have been a deeply confusing experience. "I had thought it was obvious," she finally said.

"When I've got a glamour on, it's only obvious to you." I fumbled for words for a moment before the taste of Luna's innocent joy reminded me of something. "Thank you for the flower crowns, by the way. I'm sorry I only appreciated one of them."

She smiled, and her warm affection coiled around my heart like it was my own. "That's okay. When I made them, I thought that the second one was for the Minister of Magic. Daddy always says he must secretly be a dementor. It makes me very happy to know that they both went to you." And she was telling the truth, and she was very happy, because it was Luna, and I didn't think she really knew what deceit meant.

It felt like acid in my veins.

"I'm not the same as I was," I admitted slowly. "I won't even be the same tomorrow as I am now. Silence and Hermione, we're not done merging."

Luna cocked her head yet again, and something like exasperation tainted her thoughts, if not her words. "Yesterday, I preferred yellow. Today, I woke up and preferred blue. Tomorrow, I think I might like silver."

"I'm a soul-sucking emotionally-vampiric abomination of Dark magic that makes the people around me relive almost every bad memory they think about as if they were experiencing it for the first time."

"I like to put jam in my pumpkin juice, and from what Ginny says, that's about as bad."

"There is every chance that I'm dangerous to be around," I insisted, pushing urgency into every word.

It might as well have been water on a duck's back for all it affected her. "That's not new," she laughed. "You spend almost every day with Harry."

"I don't feel, Luna. Not like I should. I can't really care about you in the way I ought to."

That, at least, gave her a second of pause, and she leaned away from me to consider it. "You said you were vampiric. Can you care about me if I care about you?"

"Well, yes, but—"

"In that case, you're being very silly," she decided, and she leaned in, pressing her arm against mine and her lips to my cheek.

I felt the flood of nervousness and affection that she did at the simple act, and found I didn't have it in me to resist more of it. "You're right," I allowed. Relief was a balm that soothed her anxiety near-immediately, and she hummed gently. "Sorry. If it makes it up to you, I can tell you the story of how I met the stray dog you've been feeding?"

The question was tinged with echoed nervousness, and then echoed relief when she agreed. And so I began to talk, spilling every detail of how We had become I, and how Harry had met his godfather.

Did I say updates would be sporadic over these past few weeks? Turns out, I meant nonexistent. Between moving halfway across the country, attempting to participate in a promptfest over on Ao3, switching over to Scrivener from Google Drive, and plotting out the direction for the next few arcs, I have simply not had time to write as I'd like. I didn't want to be one of those authors who finally writes the cool bit that they've been fantasizing about for months and months only to lost all motivation and drop the story, so that planning was necessary. Accordingly, this chap ain't my best work. As always, concrit is welcome.

All that said, now I've properly conceptualized brand new cool bits up ahead that I can fantasize about, Silence's Kiss is back! And god damn was I hankering for it.

I absolutely love how you describe Hermilence's emotional state, it's delightfully inhuman the way she picks and chooses the emotions she feels and uses up.

Also, I suspect Snape is being helpful. "Here is something that could out you, figure out a way to deal with it before you get yourself killed"

I think this is more like Snape repeating the tactics he used to out Lupin. It is a nasty way to subvert Dumbledore's ruling and expose someone he hates as a dark creature.

Snape doesn't just hate dark creatures, though. He specifically hates and is afraid of werewolves, and even more specifically just kinda hates Lupin personally. I don't think he's giving Hermione the same treatment - like I said, I think he's helping in his own toxic way.

I do think he'll push Hermione's buttons going forward to make absolutely sure she's safe for children to be around (and because he legitimately loves bullying) but I don't think he's trying to sabotage her.

Snape doesn't just hate dark creatures, though. He specifically hates and is afraid of werewolves, and even more specifically just kinda hates Lupin personally. I don't think he's giving Hermione the same treatment - like I said, I think he's helping in his own toxic way.

I do think he'll push Hermione's buttons going forward to make absolutely sure she's safe for children to be around (and because he legitimately loves bullying) but I don't think he's trying to sabotage her.

This is probably giving Snape more credit than he deserves.

Back when she was just Hermione, but after her ward ritual had scared her and made casting a health risk, Snape was the one still making her cast.

Dissonance - 29
The moon-addled girl stuck close, tasting of airy affection and warm humour. Her dreams, though, told all, speaking of fear and isolation. She spoke of magic she knew but didn't understand, and we understood, but couldn't know. We found peace in this. Not the peace of the grave as was our wont, but the peace of those rare few without problems to solve. The difference was more microscopic than humanity often cared to admit.

As fickle time passed, fledgling fear in its form as unease bloomed in the hearts of those who would call themselves peers. To play at humanity is to act, to act is to lie, and neither the dying witch or the aging wretch had ever held any particular fondness for deceit. So did our falsehood shine true.

Dissonance

I walked down the halls after another bland, tasteless meal to a part of the castle that even the Slytherins seemed to avoid when they could: the Potions classroom. The door slammed open with a thud of its own volition as I approached. I made my way past spotless brewing stations to the back of the room and to the office where I could feel Snape's colourless mood wafting out. The office door failed to open as the one before had, so I grasped its brass serpentine knocker in one hand and pounded four times.

After a moment of silence where muted annoyance filtered out towards me, the door unlatched itself and creaked open. "Enter," Professor Snape called, so I did.

Professor Snape's office hadn't much changed since the last time I'd seen it. The walls were covered with shelves adorned by immaculately kept reagents for potions of all kinds. The sorting system was exactly the same, I noted. The boomslang skin hadn't moved. In the corner was a squat, locked bookcase that I strongly suspected to be both warded against intruders and charmed to fit more than it should. Against the opposite wall was a set of green chairs and a crackling fireplace casting the reagents along the walls in a light that might have been eerie had I the discomfort to spare.

Finally, at the end of the room, directly across from the door, was a sturdy oak desk manned by a sour faced professor who didn't look up from his work as I entered.

"Sit," he ordered, gesturing to the uncomfortable looking chair beside the desk. His speech felt toneless, just as Dumbledore's did, but I complied without another word. A moment passed, then two, then several more. By the time I'd gotten to the end of the D's in identifying the reagents along the wall, he spoke up again. "If you've any spells on you, remove them now."

The lighting in the room was dimmer than Snape's mood, so I reached into my bag to grab my little silver Quibbler branded tube without protest. Luna really had been a great help with completing the project. We'd ended up having to make two: one to apply the darkening charm and the glamour, and the second to remove them both just in case. I'd taken to calling them my applicator and deapplicator respectively. Ron had harped on the uncreative name, but I thought it descriptive enough.

Twisting the cap off, I raised the runestone focus up to my eyes and whispered, "Dissiper." The feeling of the magic fading was a balm, and I quickly dispelled the other eye's glamour before replacing the cap and putting the deapplicator away. A quick mental inventory told me that I didn't have anything else enchanted on me, which somehow felt like something I ought to fix now that I had the time. Just because it probably wasn't getting worse, it didn't mean that I wasn't still leaking magic. It felt like a waste not to make use of the fact.

Professor Snape looked up to meet my eyes then, and a fresh wave of empty annoyance and resignation filtered out. He stood up suddenly, produced his wand, and began to search among the reagents on the wall. "Granger, do you know why you're here?" With the tap of a wand, a vial of doxy venom floated over to the elaborate brewing station in the corner of the room.

I took care to ignore the unsettling feeling he gave me, like I was talking to half a person. "For the mindblot potion?"

Snape shot me a glare before going back to his work. "You are here, Granger, because you are a fool. You were a fool New Year's Eve in the Forbidden Forest, you were a fool in my class on Monday, and, I suspect, you've many more fool things in your future."

I scrounged up some dregs of offence taken from Percy. "I brewed that duskfinder draught correctly, sir."

"Of course you did," he drawled. "Which is why you are a fool." The professor stopped scrutinising his reagents with a feeling of resignation. "Now, while I would be perfectly happy leaving you to fumble in the dark, the headmaster has asked that I help you." He gave me a look that told me all I needed to know about his true feelings on the subject.

"But I brewed the potion perfectly!"

"So says Minerva's 'Brightest Witch of her Age'," he scoffed. "The mindless repetition of facts and figures is not cleverness, girl. A parrot could be taught to do the same. The difference between the parrot and the human is that a human might, conceivably, be capable of determining where and when to use what information they have managed to memorise. Given the circumstances, you are giving me a exceedingly dim view of your prevailing humanity." Professor Snape returned to his examination of his reagents. "The ability to brew a potion or cast a spell is nothing without discernment. Rote intelligence is nothing without the wisdom to choose."

"You're saying that I should have sabotaged the potion." Really, it wouldn't even be all that hard. A few extra turns after adding the brightroot would have done it, or even putting the heat too high a few minutes before. It just… hadn't occurred to me to fail on purpose. It never had. Now I thought about it, even the attention from the kids jealous of my intelligence wouldn't have been half so bad if I'd just dumbed myself down. It hurt my pride to consider, but wouldn't being removed from Hogwarts hurt it more?

Just as I came to the conclusion, a steaming vial was shoved beneath my nose, and I looked up to see Professor Snape looming above me. "Drink," he said.

"What is it?"

Annoyance etched itself onto his face. "A diagnostic tool. Now, unless you care to give the headmaster an excuse to be rid of you, drink."

Relief spent itself unbidden at his words. I tried not to think about why I was so resistant to the idea of the mindblot, because the implications of how Silence and Hermione infected each other were too much for me to handle then. Instead, I took the vial presented to me and placed it quickly to my lips. The vial was small enough that it was only a single swig to finish, but I almost spit it out regardless. The strong sort of medicinal bitterness that only potent potions had was the first thing I'd actually tasted since the start of the new year.

Under Snape's watchful eye, I just managed to choke the draught down. Without a word, he whipped out his want and began waving it over me, mumbling in alternating Latin and Greek the whole while. After a few minutes of this, he stepped back and stored his wand away. "The mindblot will be ready on Saturday. Be here at noon. You're dismissed."

He turned to attend the cauldron he'd begun preparing, and I replaced my glamours, rose, and left without another word. Anything else would have invited his ire. As soon as I was out of his office and past his classroom, I spared some relief. I'd just about come to the conclusion that his hollow, discomfiting presence was a result of active occluding. As much as his defending himself from me made sense, I didn't like it. It was almost like talking to someone that didn't express emotions bodily, though a layer deeper; I couldn't properly read him.

Shaking it off, I let the unease drain from me as I walked through the halls, discomfort fading into a comfortable nothing. Lost in thought as I was, I was caught by surprise when a familiar voice called out to me. "Well now, if it isn't the ickle enchantress!"

Paired humour from two sources I'd somehow not felt before approached. "The Dark damsel!"

"The vanishing vanquisher!"

"The Slytherin savant?"

"She's Gryffindor, mate."

"Was the heir and all that though, wasn't she?"

"Still, bit weak."

"We'll work on it."

Properly greeted and with a growing grasp on the shape of their emotions, I opened my eyes to see Fred and George bearing matching smiles. "Hello," I said.

"Hello to you, too," Fred said, and it was only Ron's memories of his features that let me tell that it was him. "Now, if I am not mistaken, then you owe us a favour!"

With only a look between them, both twins looped their arms around one of mine each and started dragging me backwards.

"Sorry about the kidnapping," George muttered without a lick of remorse, "but Filch is out for blood right now."

"Some Hufflepuff went and botched a cleaning charm. The whole fourth floor hallway's more suds than tile by now. For some reason, Filch is blaming us," Fred said.

I rolled my eyes, letting their good humour and slight annoyance get to me. There was something off about it, something subtly strange about standing between them, but I ignored it. It certainly wasn't any stranger than Snape, whatever it was. "Can't imagine why."

"I knew you'd believe our innocence!" Fred mimed wiping a tear from his eye with his free hand. "Anyway, unrelated, but we want your help with something."

"Saw the opportunity and took it. Favour's a favour, and there's no reason we can't run, hide, and recruit at the same time!"

"I reserve the right to say no." Though I had been thankful for Fred's help back in Egypt, I did still hold some respect for Hogwarts and some of its teachers. Certainly, I respected keeping Order in the halls.

George waved the concern off. "Of course, of course. No use in an unwilling accomplice, after all."

"Buuuuuut," Fred said, "we really would appreciate the help, and you do at least owe us a look at the project."

"Fine." It wasn't like I desperately needed to be anywhere else anyway.

After a few more turns, during which time the twins did not seem to even entertain letting go of my arms to let me walk normally, we came to an empty stretch of wall. Fred cast an unlocking charm at it, then the boys dragged me through. The wall turned out to be an illusion, obviously, behind which was a fairly standard classroom door. They opened it up, dragged me inside, then finally let go.

"Hermione Granger, welcome to our workshop!" George said with the wave of a hand.

It was a normal classroom, all told, only made remarkable by the contents. A bubbling cauldron sat on the professor's desk, surrounded by an impressive array of reagents. The blackboard was covered in notes upon notes scrawled in tiny script. I recognised lists of reagents with some circled and some crossed out, runestone drafts, arithmantic projection, and a number of nonsense things that—in true magical fashion—would almost certainly only make sense to the person who wrote them. The student's desks were stacked up against one wall and seemed to be serving as shelving for an eclectic mix of things I couldn't even begin to identify. To top it all off, scorch marks dotted nearly every flat surface.

"You have a secret workshop," I said.

"Have to plan our dastardly deeds from somewhere, right? 'Course, you know that if you tell anyone…"

"…Then we'll have to kill you. No hard feelings." There was humour in their hearts in their hearts and their voices, but I set it all aside.

"You have a secret workshop," I repeated, "and the only thing you have protecting it is an illusory wall and a locked door? Don't you have any wards up?" They didn't. I knew they didn't because the magic in the air felt different when I walked into Hogswatch, but this was just the same as the rest of the castle.

George snorted. "You kidding? Have you ever tried putting up wards outside of the dorms?"

"Barely lasts an hour if you're lucky," Fred finished.

"I put up the ones around my own workshop months ago and they're still fine," I mentioned idly, still wondering at how they felt secure with this much work sitting basically unprotected. The unlocking charm was a first year spell, after all, and illusory walls were hardly uncommon in Hogwarts.

Shock came from both boys for a long moment.

They'd been staring at the blackboard for hours trying to make sense of things. No matter how they worked it, the damn thing just wouldn't stop exploding, or catching fire, or turning halfway into a chicken at the wrong time. It was just a can, but it had well and truly defeated the Weasley twins.

Fred looked to George, and George looked to Fred, and they split themselves into two roles: the sceptic and the desperate.

"We're stuck, and Lee doesn't have any idea how to help. We need an outside set of eyes," said the part of them that was Fred.

The part of them that was George shook his head. "Can't risk it."

"We're not getting anywhere on our own," one said.

"We just need to look at this from a new angle," the other sighed. "If we just stick our heads together—"

It was an old in-joke, but the Fred-bit interrupted anyway. "Reckon that's the problem. Our heads couldn't get any closer if we tried. Maybe someone else could see something we're not."

"Well," George said, "I'm open to suggestions. Not like we can exactly pay an expert or ask a teacher, can we?"

They both thought on it for a time, then an idea occurred to them.

"Can't be. She'd write to Mum in an instant," George protested.

"Didn't exactly seem like she was happy with Mum when she was breaking into her room though, did it? And she's been off disappearing with Ron and Harry constantly, hasn't she? Word is, she walked into the Forbidden bloody Forest on a lark over Christmas!" Fred shook his head. "Nah, she doesn't have a leg here."

George pinched the bridge of his nose. "We're just ignoring that she's a third year, then?"

"Like we haven't heard Ron going on and on about how he helped her invent some brand new way of enchanting things," Fred said.

"Reckon half of Gryffindor's heard, but Ron's always been full of it."

Fred shrugged. "Yeah, but we've seen her reading N.E.W.T. prep stuff. Bet Ron's not as big a part as he pretends, but even odds that she did actually do it."

"Fine," George sighed after a moment, but they knew scepticism had lost. "But we should get ready to pack up the lair just in case."

I stumbled in place as the dual existence's memory faded from me, a very different kind of dual existence. To go from being one of two entities in one body to one entity across two bodies and back was probably one of the more disorienting things I'd ever felt. Parvati hadn't been like that, but Chaos loved its exceptions, and Padma had been petrified when I was Parvati, hadn't she?

I only just registered the part of the twins that was Fred saying, "Told you she'd be a good fit."

"Why do you do that?" I asked suddenly, because curiosity like an endless chasm that needed filling compelled me.

"Do what?" the twins asked.

"Why do you pretend like you're two people?"

And there, as proof, the strangeness that I couldn't place became obvious: their shock and uncertainty rose up as one. Their bodies reacted differently, though. Where Fred opened up in surprise, George shut down. It was simultaneous enough that I didn't know how I hadn't noticed it before. "Not sure what you mean," George said lamely.

"I'm not stupid, we're in private, and I read enough to know a thing or two," I said, watching them intently. "There's no reason to pretend."

Fred answered first. "It's just that most people get a bit…"

"Creeped out?" George provided.

"So Mum taught us to pretend."

"The same way your uncles did," I said, putting the pieces together. If they were tied closely enough that a spell cast from a blood sample from one of them had killed both, and since that tie would have been from birth, it stood to reason that it being that close effected them somehow.

"Did Ron tell you 'bout them?" one of the twins asked.

I went to shake my head, but aborted the action quickly. "Something like that." They didn't need to know that I had learned about them by plucking memories from his head back when Silence was a dementor and not me. "Anyway, you don't need to pretend around me. It doesn't creep me out, and I'll keep your secrets, even if you really don't do a great job of hiding it."

"You'd be shocked," George said, and I felt the twins' unease begin to fade into something like relief. The unease didn't disappear entirely, though, and I didn't fancy swelling my stores before my Saturday with Snape.

"So," I prompted in a blatant attempt to distract, "what was it that you needed my help with?"

Back in their comfort zone, the twins' smiles returned. "Our magnum opus!" one said.

"The last laugh to break the boggart of Dad disowning us!" They led me to the stacked desks, and George flicked out his wand to summon something from up high.

Fred put a hand to the side of his mouth as if to ward away any listeners. "It'll be our best work yet once it's finished."

From up on the shelf, a tall, colourful can with a bright red lid hovered down into George's hand, who presented it to me with a smile. I examined it for all of a moment before giving the twins an unimpressed look. "This is spray paint."

"Not just any old spray paint!" George said. "Or, well…"

"Yes, it is any old spray paint," Fred continued.

"But it's the big picture that counts."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not shocked that you're having problems. Enchanting muggle things is illegal for a reason. There's no Legacy with most of them, so you have to be careful that they don't misbehave."

The twins looked at each other. "Legacy?" one asked.

I continued on to save myself the lengthy explanation. "So what have you been trying to do with it, and what's it been doing?"

"Well," Fred said, "we've been trying to enchant it so that when you spray it, you can paint an illusion of whatever you're thinking of on a surface."

"Kicker is, we want the illusion to look like you could just step through it," George finished.

"Like painting a tunnel on a wall so that people bump into it?" I asked, because even Hermione had watched cartoons. Even Silence brought weak impressions of fond childhood memories sapped from the scattered inmates of Azkaban.

The twins gave me an appraising look. "We were thinking fake holes in the floor, but that's a good idea."

"Reckon we can put that on the marketing," Fred said, walking over to the blackboard to write it down.

"Marketing?" I asked.

"Oh, you know," George said. "A little of this…"

"A little of that!" Fred called from the other side of the room.

"We can't go giving it all up on the first date, can we? What kind of bloke do you take us for?" I ignored their mock offence, quite content to store their amusement for later.

Watching Fred take notes in what looked to be a cipher rather than the gibberish I'd originally taken it for, I asked George, "So, what problems have you been having?"

"Fucker explodes for fun, doesn't it?" Fred called.

"We've had to start keeping dittany and the like on hand," George confessed. "Pomfrey was getting suspicious when she had to keep prying little bits of metal out of us. It's just lucky that we already knew a good cleaning charm for the paint."

I eyed the scorch marks around the room and had to wonder how the twins had managed to get flame from an exploding can of spray paint.

"And the blood," he said, tracking my vision.

"I'll need to see your notes on the process," I started, "but I'm willing to bet that it's because spray paint is pressurised, for one thing. Newton's First Law is fairly clear on what happens if you disturb it too much." The twins' confusion stopped my explanation. "Sinderion's Tenth and Eleventh Precepts?" I tried, and understanding dawned. "Point is, spray paint isn't entirely stable as is, and given that I don't think that anyone magical makes it, it's all going to be muggle."

George nodded along. "And muggle things don't take well to magic."

"They take to it fine, they just don't do what you want for very long." An example came to mind instantly, finally free of all the emotion I'd once attached to the memory. "If you enchanted a car to fly, for example, then it might do something like develop a personality and flee into the woods."

Now that I knew what I did, it even made sense. I could probably predict it, honestly. Without Legacy to lend the enchantments stability, the other Powers would press in to fill the space. Chaos and Life would likely be the big ones. They were the only ones with a penchant for spreading like that.

Fred returned from the board with a notebook in hand and levitating a few chairs behind him, which floated into place behind us before dropping to the ground heavily. "So we'd need to make something ourselves?"

"Probably," I said as I sat. "You could enchant any old spray paint that you buy at the store, but the spell itself would have to be incredibly rigid. I doubt it would really be able to do anything with imagination like you want."

"All this without even looking at the notes, huh?" George asked.

I shrugged. "It's just the way that magic works. I can still take a look if you want, but fair warning: I've never made anything meant to read the mind." Nothing besides myself, at least.

The twins looked at each other, then Fred tossed his notebook at me. "All yours."

Without another word, I cracked open the book and started working through it.

A SHOCKING TRIAL: THE DETAILS REVEALED!

Over a week after the shocking arrest of Peter Pettigrew, long thought to have been killed by Sirius Black, and the Wizengamot has finally assembled to begin the trial. Thanks to the efforts of one determined (and anonymous) reporter, The Daily Prophet is proud to bring you everything we know so far.

For the past several months, the magical world has been rocked by the escape of Sirius Black from Azkaban, where he was imprisoned for the murder of twelve muggles, Peter Pettigrew himself, and for his role in the death of the Potter family. With the revelation of Pettigrew's survival by an as yet unnamed Hogwarts student, the facts of this case are being called into question.

Indeed, the prosecution paints a very different story of what happened on the night of October 31st, 1981. Headed by Chief Warlock Albus P.W.B. Dumbledore (O.M. (First Class), Grand Sorc., D. Wiz., X.J. (sorc.), S. of Mag.Q.) himself, the prosecution claims that it was in fact Peter Pettigrew who was a servant of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Reportedly, he dispelled a protective enchantment surrounding the Potters' home in service to his lord, leading to their deaths.

The prosecution then claims that Sirius Black—who was himself an auror and a dear enough friend to the Potter family as to be named godfather to their son Harry—sought to find Pettigrew and bring him to justice. Pettigrew would then have lured Black into a public arena and faked his own death in spectacular fashion, framing Black for not just the murders of the twelve muggles unlucky enough to be present, but Pettigrew's own death, and even the death of the Potters.

Following this deceit, the Chief Warlock claims that Pettigrew, who is confirmed to be an unregistered animagus, hid with the family of Arthur and Molly Weasley as a family pet: a rat going by the name of Scabbers. Neither Weasley could be reached for comment at this time.

What evidence has been brought to light is reportedly shaky at best, leaving the defence unsure how to respond. More damningly, Black himself has failed to appear. The trial is expected to commence for some weeks yet. When prompted for his thoughts, Head Auror Rufus Scrimgeour had this to say:

"Though the situation is shocking, it is far too early to make any assumptions of innocence. The search for Black is ongoing. Nothing has changed. If you see him, assume that he is still armed and dangerous. After all, if he were innocent, wouldn't he have presented himself to the Wizengamot by now?"

It started with a Transfiguration lesson where we were asked to turn a block of wood into a mouse. Harry managed it by halfway through the class, but no matter what Ron did, he couldn't turn his block into anything but a big, fat rat. Sometimes intact, sometimes missing a toe. It wasn't hard to tell that it was bothering him. Not just because I was the thing I was, but because he got visibly frustrated throughout the class, and for hours after.

He tried to play it off with jokes, but Harry wasn't buying it. I certainly wasn't.

"You're old enough to attend Hogwarts now, so it's your turn to take care of him, Ron," Percy said.

He scowled in response. "I don't want to take care of your lousy rat."

"Hey now," Percy said, placing a hand on Ron's shoulder. "Scabbers is a family pet. That's our lousy rat."

"I don't even like him," Ron lied. "He doesn't do anything."

"He's a pet. He doesn't need to do anything. Doesn't mean we love him any less."

Betrayal wasn't an emotion, but the mix of sorrow, mourning, and anger was something I'd felt in Sirius, too. The blend was different—Ron's was earthy where Sirius was spice—but I'd just about learned to identify the root cause.

Not long after that class, a rat turned up in Ron's bag during lunch. It scurried out from where he'd set it on the table, dove into the ham, and promptly turned back into a block of wood when the magic ran out. A few people laughed out of shock, but none of the Weasleys did. Not even the twins.

After that, it was constant. Once a day, sometimes twice, Ron would have an encounter of some kind with a rat. Sometimes they were flung onto his head during class. Sometimes they were hid amongst his things, just like the first. Often, they were just set loose to run across his path.

Ron tried to hide it. He managed to succeed with Harry sometimes, who was himself too wrapped up in alternating anger at the way the Prophet was treating things and the revelation of actually having family of his own for the first time in his life to be at his most perceptive. He couldn't hide it from me, though. There was a very particular mix of shame and anger he felt that got just a bit more intense every time. Before long, it became clear that he was going to do something drastic.

So, naturally, I beat him to the punch.

Dear Padfoot,

Ever since that rather inconsiderate
Prophet article came out not long ago, our friend Ron—I'm sure Harry's mentioned him, they're practically inseparable—has been accosted almost nonstop regarding his family's role in things. They're trying to be subtle, but I know who's responsible. Just because they don't laugh, it doesn't mean they don't feel the humour, after all.

Everything they're doing is deniable, and my position is tenuous enough as is, so I can't quite take the easy route. Considering that and the stories you've penned that Harry's shown to me, I was hoping to get a Marauder's advice. I would ask Professor Lupin, but that would put him in an awkward position. Besides, I'm half-convinced by now that he must have served as the voice of reason amongst you most times. I can relate.

So, if you've any particular spells or tricks that you care to pass on to the next generation, I can ensure they end up in good hands.

Harry is doing well, by the way. He likes to lie and say he is when he's really not, but as you can imagine, I'm pretty well-suited to seeing through it. Having a family that's worth having for the first time in his life has been good for him, even if you can't talk as you'd like. So, I'd like to thank you, even if I know that it's no burden at all to do what you're doing.

Hoping for your health,

Hermione Granger

"Hey Harry, can I use Hedwig?"

Harry perked up from where he'd been slumped over his notes. "Sure. Who're you writing to?"

"Sirius," I said. Jealousy began to spin up in Harry almost immediately. The only indication of it that he gave was a scrunched up face that I likely would have taken for confusion once.

Harry looked around to check for eavesdroppers despite the fact that he and I were alone in Hogswatch. Catching himself slightly, he turned back to me. "What are you writing him about?"

"Malfoy," I answered. "This whole thing with the rats has got Ron all pent up. I wanted some advice on how Sirius would handle it."

He blinked, as if the idea of asking for help hadn't occurred to him, and his jealousy eased just enough for him to relax. "Sure, yeah. Bet he'll love that, actually."

"Thanks." Permission granted, I went to go back to my homework, but Harry's rising nervousness called my attention. "Harry?"

He worked his mouth for a moment before finally blurting out, "I've been having dreams recently."

"Most people get dreams."

"No but these are…" He looked around as if to find the words he wanted hanging in the air. "They're weird dreams."

I put down my quill. "Weird dreams," I repeated slowly.

Harry winced as embarrassment swelled within him. "Forget it."

"I don't think I will, actually," I said. "What's so weird about these dreams?"

He hesitated again, but a quirk of my eyebrow got him going. "They're nightmares, I guess, but that's pretty normal," he rushed out, "but the thing is, you're always there. Only, it's not quite you. You're all… wrong."

I motioned for him to continue.

"You don't have eyes. In the dreams, I mean. Obviously you have eyes now, they're just…" Harry stopped to search for words again.

"Wrong?" I prompted. I was unglamoured, after all, and I was more than aware of the effect my eyes had on most people.

"I wasn't going to say that," he said quickly. "But… kinda, yeah. Anyway, in the dreams, you don't have eyes, and you've got a cloak like you're a dementor."

"Like I'm still a dementor."

Harry's discomfort choked him for a moment, and didn't fade as he seemingly opted to ignore it entirely. "So, in these dreams, you show up, then everything just kind of goes bad. I don't really know how else to explain it. Don't really remember anything specific, either. I just know that you show up, and then everything gets worse. I wouldn't mention it, but it came up when Ron and I were doing Divination homework yesterday, and he's been having these exact same types of dreams."

"That's worrying," I admitted calmly, though I didn't hesitate to feel Harry's discomfort for myself. The description was familiar, after all. He'd perfectly described Silence as it had appeared in the final moments of the ritual that made me.

"Yeah," he agreed. "So, I was wondering…"

I shook my head. "I can honestly say that I don't remember dreaming once since the New Year." It occurred to me that I should have already been looking into it. Dreams were important in certain forms of divination. Maybe I would never be a seer, but who knew what other significance their lack would have?

"Oh." Harry slumped.

"But," I said, mind working at full speed, "I have an idea for how we can find out. I'm not sure if it'll work, but who knows?"

Harry nodded. "Right. So what's the idea?"

"It's actually fairly simple. It shouldn't need a spell at all, actually." I hesitated, because beyond being unsure if it would work, I wasn't entirely convinced that what I was thinking wouldn't be actively harmful. "All we need is for you to lay down on the couch here and take a nap."

"Just… take a nap?" The scepticism in his mind was a given, but it being reflected in his voice was almost insulting. "Sure, I suppose. Beats writing a Charms essay. Wake me up before curfew, I guess."

"Of course."

Harry shrugged and laid down on the couch, closing his eyes. I continued on with my homework, the only sounds in the room being the scratching of my quill and our shared breaths. After some time, once I was through maybe a full foot of parchment, the rise and fall of Harry's chest evened out. I put my quill down and ever so quietly moved to sit by his head.

Then, with a deep breath of my own, I closed my eyes and opened myself up.

Grammarly is apparently confirmed to be using customer data in AI data-sampling, so that won't be a tool that I've access to going forward. Additionally, this and the next few chapters will not be beta read, because my beta reader is experiencing Real Life Things of their own. I pored through with the finest tooth comb I have, but I'd appreciate if you called out any obviously dumb mistakes that you find.

That said, brief soapbox to talk about something that doesn't matter at all. Capitalization. In canon, all the fantasy magic nonsense words are capitalized like proper nouns (Patronus, Wingardium Leviosa, Pensieve, Dementor). This is great for establishing magic as this super cool 'other' thing in the subconscious, but suffers from the fact that it makes no real grammatical sense. Throughout all of this fic so far, I have hosted a great and mighty internal battle on how I want the capitalization rules to go. 'Does this magic nonsense word get capitalized? How about this one?' I've done it mostly by the vibes while referencing how I've done it in previous chapters so far, which leads to an... inconsistent reading experience. It's fine if you're reading one chapter a week. It's annoying and potentially dealbreaking if you're bingeing it. If you're me, however, who rereads multiple disconnected chapters per week to reference past events, then it will be the cause of your (my) eventual psychotic break. Probably while trying to write a Remus or Harry perspective, tbh.

Point being, I'm trying to standardize the magic nonsense words to actual grammar rules instead of Rowling rules, where improper magic nonsense nouns (dementor, patronus, mindblot potion, the dark arts) don't get capitalization, but proper nouns (Order, Merlin's Minute Meteors, Weldin's Wriggle Elixir) do. Got a whole document to keep track of it and everything. I'm tentatively trying to go back and edit things to these current standards as I find issues in the writing of future chapters, but that'll be a slow, progressive process. All this to say, Rowling is a fuck, and some things may or may not be capitalized differently than how they were previously in the fic. It's a work in progress. Apologies.

I went to shake my head, but aborted the action quickly. "Something like that." They didn't need to know that I had learned about them by plucking memories from his head back when Silence was a dementor and not me. "Anyway, you don't need to pretend around me. It doesn't creep me out, and I'll keep your secrets, even if you really don't do a great job of hiding it."

Hmmm, this combined with the earlier discussion Snape had with Hermione about why she should have improperly brewed the potion raises the possibility that Hermione might have a harder-than-human time being dishonest now, or at least have difficulty thinking of it. Although on the other hand she was lying pretty frequently in her initial conversations with Dumbledore and Snape.

Also didn't come up this chapter but I was thinking about it - Hermione's distrust of Dumbledore up until New Years seemed unnatural, to the point that it seems likely to have been a compulsion put on her by Riddle. Her Becoming Silent Hermione might have broken that compulsion - she seems to be able to think normally about the value of having Dumbledore trust her immediately after and to interact with him normally, whereas prior to that she didn't seem to be able to think about him without going off into how much she doesn't trust him for pretty thin reasons.

Although that might also have been the product of just trauma.

Back