The mundane reading of this is that Konoha doesn't value weird mathematics of not practical use. Is there meant to be something more then that?

In a previous chapter, genius relative to the Shinobi Rikugo is defined as a sort of hyperaccellerated learning and inference ability. The SI, by virtue of being an amalgam of a 140+ year old transhuman apocalypse survivor can substantially fake these faculties, mainly by virtue of already having done conceptually adjacent legwork. But she doesn't, in point of fact, have the sort of learning ability that, eg, lets Kakashi be a butcher of men at six. What she does have is a certain capacity for achieving eldritch levels of sheerly incomprehensible what the fuck from their perspective. And that type of thing isn't adjacent to what locals define as genius, you see.

The important thing here is that the language they're using has words defined relative to the standards of their world, not ours. Nobody there excepting, apparently, gods knows that the quantum worlds even exist. So what we consider genius is not germane to local things. Orochimaru, for his part, breaks some of the rules mainly due to his own relative degrees of insanity - he's mentally abnormal, which has let him see a bit further than other characters, who follow a human template. But by that token, he fails at a lot of things that humans find easy - he can implement the patterns, but not the underlying reasons.

Last edited:
Glad to see this is back! I found one thing I didn't understand while reading, though:

"Insanity is by far the most common outcome," The god said, "And what makes that a problem is that a Samsara Breaker only accumulates experience. There is no cleansing. No reset."

"No murder," I said.

"What?" The god.

"No murder. They remain who they were. The slate is never wiped clean. They are, who they are, who they are."

"Just so," said the god, "But why murder?"

"Quantum universe. Where I come from, the memories are the person."

"Ah. This seed[world] operates otherwise."

"Thank goodness," I said. It wasn't feigned. "So, I'm atypical?"

Why does she just accept it when the Shinigami says "this world operates otherwise"? From an amoral perspective, personhood & identity are arbitrary distinctions of certain classes of data pattern from others; just because the Shinigami apparently defines continuity of personhood purely through possession of the same soul doesn't mean the protagonist has reason to change her own definition to match. Which, from my reading, is what happens here.

When you get back to this thread, would you mind clarifying?

Back