Mei I Have That Mission?
When the dignitary doors of their residence flew open and the Captain immediately activated the soundproof seals they'd slapped everywhere the day Konoha let them in, Mei knew it wasn't going to be good news coming out of his lips.

"Mei! Hana!" Captain Sato yelled for them and Mei could hear Hana scramble in the other room as she did too.

They put themselves before the Captain and his Vice, Daiki. Both had just returned from what must be another fruitless walk through Konoha trying to slip away from the many eyes that laid on them the moment they entered the village.

Their infiltration mission would have paved a disastrous path had their orders not been altered a mere day away from its execution. The new orders brought mix reactions from all of the team when they first received it, mostly because it meant it the change was coming directly from the newly chosen Mizukage.

Much like herself, Captain Sato and the others were curious which of the two powerhouses had won and which had died. Unfortunately for Mei and Hana, their Captain and his superiors decided it would be funny if they left them guessing.

The Owl Masked ANBU Commander had answered Sato's questions about the Fourth Mizukage's inauguration and the current atmosphere without any of this shenanigans but Mei couldn't confirm any of the crucial details.

Still, that they were instead to present themselves as dignitaries from the Mizukage meant she would inevitably learn the name of the Yondaime, even if it was at the same time as the Hokage.

And it was. Minato Namikaze, the Yellow Flash of Konoha wasn't all too pleased to have Kiri shinobi in his village, especially those that were clearly all part of its ANBU.

His reaction when Captain Sato announced Yagura Karatachi as Yondaime Mizukage and pronounced the Sandaime dead in the same breath was a delight to see though. From shocked to sympathetic then back to concealed disdain in a flash.

Mei went through a similar reaction, though she knew to withhold back involuntary inflections like that since she knew she'd be in for some news. For the most part she was relieved and then a bit worried, Yagura shared a piece of her visions for Kiri but unlike her he had too little reservations in how he pursued it, even volunteering to become a Jinchuriki despite knowing the risks.

The Hokage gave his condolences and they were offered a place in Konoha. The Yellow Flash himself had just taken seat as the Fourth Hokage, his face nearly fully carved in that ridiculous mountain side. And so he offered to establish a communique with his fellow Yondaime, connecting the two rival nations in a firm and direct wish for reconciliation.

Mei saw it in those enchanting blue pearls of his, he meant every word, he wanted Kiri and Konoha to coexist rather than cannibalize. What a cute man.

Captain Sato stiffly nodded, appreciating the offer and promising to relay it back home. Whether he's done so, whether Yagura has gotten word, she doesn't know, but they were about to receive new orders judging by the constrained and pitied look the Vice Daiki was giving her.

"There's been some change of plans." Sato began and Mei spied Hana straighten up, fully enthused for a change of pace.

Communication with the village takes a while even with the fastest ravens, it would get better if the Mizukage accepted the Hokage's offer, aligned villages could easily set up embassies with the right tools and jutsu to communicate faster.

Until then they were stuck making day to day attempts to escape their three dozen ANBU watchers— at least by the latest count— while they tried to carry on with their original mission to investigate Konoha's involvement in the Sandaime's death.

At this point though and after see that handsome, prize winning catch of a Hokage, Mei didn't think him capable of being behind such. But of course, Konoha has many powerful figures with their own agendas, continuing the investigation was paramount.

"Yondaime-sama wants to investigate Amegakure, this time it's a full infiltration." Sato said and Daiki beside him sighed. Mei had a set of questions already but stood in place until Sato finished, "Our team will split in two as there are pending matters in Konoha, Hana and I will see to that. Daiki, Mei, you'll travel to Amegakure as early as dawn and take up identities as a married, childless couple looking for a cheap and relatively safe place to build a life. Mei, you will take lead on this mission and the Commander will be your direct contact. That is all."

Mei understood now why Daiki had been pitying her so, she's being torn away from all of Konoha's…potential and being force to play house with him. But worse than that, this was easily an S-rank mission— infiltrating the house of Hanzo the Salamander, it's unlikely they'll have backup and she's taking point over the Vice-Captain of the current team, how? Why?

"Why me? I only stayed in ANBU a year, I don't have as much experience." She'd left the ANBU after having her fill of its scummier ways, it was there she met and became acquainted with Yagura. He was one of the few breathes of fresh air but even then, he was polluted with a burning desire for power and recognition.

Sato just stared at her and shrugged, "I asked the same thing and apparently it's because Yondaime-sama mentioned you by name for this mission, goodluck, don't disappoint him."

Daiki managed a smile, he was always reserved. "I'm in your hands…darling." He blew her a kiss and Mei scowled while Hana and Sato chuckled.

Hana leaned in and whispered, "Guess the Hokage will have to fall in love with me instead, enjoy the rain Mei-chan!"

Mei looked at her appalled and then, betrayed. With a fury she raised her fist and ran after the already bolted Hana, "He's mine! Don't you dare!"

Mei let herself indulge, but brewing in the back of her mind were many, many concerns about this new mission. Daiki is right, Yagura is trusting me to do my part, we share the same vision after all.

Yes, she can do it, they can do it. Kirigakure will never be the same again and then maybe she'll find some good man to spend the rest of her life with.

Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik and Asura for being a part of the library!
If you wish to support myself and the library, as well as read ahead click
here

To Breakthrough
Breathe in…Breathe out…Breathe in…and out. My mind was centred, my soul is full, my heart is rich and my hands are empty, ready to receive. My breath hitched as I prepared to ask, to receive. My soul delved and I felt my feet lose the ground beneath them, the darkness of my shut eyes filled with the cool soothing's of an ocean and then the imposition of monstrous chakra.

I let both take hold of me, refusing to give into the fear, there's nothing to be afraid of, I asked for this, I came here. I am here. My eyes fluttered open and stung from the ocean soaking every inch of me, a shimmering light in the persistent darkness grew as I floated above what I came for.

He won't let me have it.

"No, no I won't." He said, appearing larger than I've ever seen myself in a mirror, than I've ever thought of myself. He presses a giant hand over the power, the horde of chakra I've come begging for and it all disappears in a vicious whirlpool.

I gritted my teeth and began to flee but it's hardwork running away from an ocean master. Multitudes of himself forge out of cyclones, all staring disapprovingly as I swam, struggled to the surface if there is one any more.

"When will you stop running? When will you stop pretending?" his multitudes demand, their brows furrowed in deep sneers of disgust.

I choked on my held breath, desperate for air that doesn't exist I kicked and pushed and pulled at the water to escape but only met him again.

"You're the one who came in here. You think it will be so easy to have this power? You must earn it, you must face the challenge to seize it. But you are not ready!" His giant form drew the equally massive Bo-staff and he struck, bringing a wave of water down on my head before the Bo itself smites me out of my meditative trance.

I leapt out of the pool gasping for air, my lungs greedy for it and my vision blurred by the droplets soaking my hair in my eyes. I kicked and splashed until Harusame appeared above me, standing on the water he yanked me out with one arm and held me.

"Mizukage-sama! Breathe, breathe!" He demanded as he slapped my back and forced what water was already trapped in my lungs out.

Eventually I caught my breath enough to pull chakra to my feet and stand alone. I stumbled away from the lake, my seventh attempt at reaching Isobu thwarted yet again by none other than Yagura himself. Or, according to him, me.

But I couldn't believe that, I didn't want to. It made more sense to see him as Yagura and myself as…what am I? Who am I? These questions have plagued me for another week and I'm no closer to getting an answer, I'm not even sure I want one anymore.

I just want to speak to Isobu or at least master his chakra. I threw myself against the grass as my chest heaved for air and my seal burned my stomach. I could smell Harusame's vile remedies brewing already but this time I'd asked for them.

The longer I sat as Mizukage the more I felt my strength was insufficient, no, the more obvious it became. The Kages that stand behind each of the hidden villages in this timeline were intensely powerful people.

There was Rasa, the Fourth Kazekage who has consistently fought and subdued the One-Tailed beast, a feat not many can lay claim to especially singlehandedly.

Onoki ruled the Hidden Stone as Third Tsuchikage, a man well aged to have seen the birth of all the major villages, to have fought against Madara himself. There is something to be said about a man who lives long in a profession where people die young.

Ay, the Fourth Raikage and the second fastest person on the planet, a man so fierce he weathers no insult, takes no bullshit and fights with his fists ready to squash whoever may dare threaten his village. His lightning cloak, a version of his father's own and yet to see its full potential has the strength to take on and shield him from nearly anything.

And finally, the Hokage or Hokage's as Konoha seems to be the only village that managed to have two generations of Kage living and breathing at the same time. Hiruzen, the Professor who has learned all jutsu known to Konoha itself and Minato, the Yellow Flash, a name that speaks for itself.

In contrast, Yagura Karatachi or at least, the Yagura Karatachi I was playing wasn't all that intimidating. True Yagura held mastery over both Water and Wind Release and was dipping further into Yin Release when he became a Jinchuriki.

In truth, if tested, I only have power equivalent to that of an expert Jounin and that's when I channel his personality and memories, a thing I'm not too fond of doing. When I don't I'm about as useful as a well-rounded Chuunin looking for a promotion.

I suppose that's not bad but lately, more and more security concerns were making their way to my desk. Not to mention, I casted the die and took the first move against Obito and the Akatsuki, I didn't know waiting for a report would take so long or that it would make me so anxious.

And so, here I am, back to seeking an ultimate, quick draw, easy win power to soothe my mounting anxieties. If only Yagura would let me through.

"Mizukage-sama, you can't push yourself so much, this exercise is extreme enough for your stage." Harusame continued to complain as he set a cup of his remedy on the grass next to my head. "Let's try taking it from the top again, chakra moulding."

I groaned at that, sat up and gulped the scalding hot tea before it got cold enough to tastes all the awfulness. By this time Harusame's gotten used to seeing me do so and simply shook his head as he took the empty cup.

I breathed out the heat as I stood akimbo, "No, theirs is too much to do to waste time inching forward. If I can't summon its chakra on my own, then it's time, Harusame."

His eyes soften as he looked on me, "Mizukage-sama…"

I shook my head, "Don't worry, you saw me out there, I can handle its chakra. I won't rampage."

Still, he looked conflicted, but I couldn't blame him, I was essentially asking him to put his life on the line, to trust that I'm capable of holding back a Tailed-Beast. In truth, this is a very Yagura thing for me to do but technically, it's not. Since I know Isobu is asleep and the real Yagura is the first line of defence behind the seal all I need is to bypass him, grind some of Isobu's chakra into my own and…

"This…if we do this the entire village will be at risk, not just me. The Three-Tails is fully capable of ending my life even with a single tail, one mistake, one slip up and it's over."

I gritted my teeth, trusting that as stubborn as Yagura is he won't stand in my way, not if I do this, not if there's a true risk of everything being over.

Steely eyed, I nodded, "I'm sure, make the preparations."

No sooner had I given the order did an ANBU shimmer to my side, kneeling at my feet with his head bowed I sighed, "What is it now?"

He shifted at Harusame's presence and the Fuinjutsu master didn't need to be told to give us privacy. He bowed and left the secluded meditation pool to carry his orders.

Once he was gone, Ao took off his mask and by his expression alone, I could tell this was a serious matter, "Lord Funato has called for an emergency meeting with the council, news from Konoha."

Every muscle in my body tensed at that, I wanted to ask Ao more but I knew he wouldn't have the answers. "Very well, let's go."

Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik, Asura and the quite mysterious 6th patron; Someone for being a part of the library!
here

Settling Matters
"We should decline." Lord Funato's cane struck definitively as he eyed his fellows.

Lady Megumi looked more aged each time I saw her and this news continued on that trend, despite myself I was concerned for her well-being. Uncle had a plain, unreadable poker face on, he mostly looked irritated they'd called him from the clan grounds for this but Yagura knew that too was a poker face.

These are exactly the kind of matters he's always wanted to consult on and my being Mizukage made his place here all the more valid, if a bit skewed by rumours of favouritism.

None of that stopped him from voicing his opinion though, "Why? Because it's what we've always done?"

The old clan head harrumphed, "Jest all you want but it is these foundations that has kept Kiri safe and whole."

Uncle Aoto snorted but said nothing, his meaning gone unspoken. The delusions of the aged continued to show right alongside his stubbornness. I massaged my temples because unlike him I hadn't the restraint for a poker face.

An olive branch, an opportunity for reconciliation with the strongest of the hidden villages, the winner of the Third Shinobi war. With Minato Namikaze. That wasn't something you declined.

I made my displeasure at his quick dismissal known with a scowl and considered Lady Megumi. I already knew what my orders were going to be but the key to leading is giving attention, at least, I felt so.

"Lady Megumi, what do you think we should do?"

She sent a somber gaze at me and smiled wryly, "Ahh, forgive me, Mizukage-sama, I thought I was merely here to listen to your decision." She sniped, narrowing her eyes at me.

I immediately regretted opening the conversation to her. I knew what this was about as well, Megumi laid that trap well. "The Kaguya case is-"

"Oh no, forgive me, I have accepted your decision on that case, Yondaime, I only regret to see what will come of it. If you wish a ryo for my thought on this, then I can only tell you to heed history."

Lord Funato smiled and even Uncle shifted uncomfortably at the woman's guile. "I too have disagreements with your decision on the Kaguya, but this is not about the Kaguya, Konoha is a much more delicate body than those annoyances as you called them."

I sighed and looked at their faces, even Uncle had some doubts about my decision to hold off on massacring the entire Kaguya clan for the attack before my succession.

Much like this decision, I made it based off of what would be best for the future, not the immediate interests of Kirigakure; vengeance. There still wasn't anyone labelled as suspect for the Sandaime's death and so the Kaguya made themselves a convenient scapegoat to appease the bloodthirsty clans and masses of the Mist.

Unfortunately, I wasn't with them on that bloodlust. "You're exactly right about that, Lord Funato, which is why I believe it's high time we cease with the hostile and avoidant relations with the other villages."

Funato frowned but I didn't give him a chance to speak over me, "You complained about my action in Amegakure as well, Lord Funato, Konoha offering a medium of diplomacy on a silver platter is an opportunity to diffuse any misunderstandings about our operations in the Amegakure if Konoha should find out.

"Besides, I am curious about the Yellow Flash of Konoha, the tales of his legend are tenfold as both Iwa and Kumo will confess. Given our failed operation against Konoha in the last leg of the war I doubt he expects us to accept this…generous offer."

Uncle gave that a thoughtful hum and nodded along, "Konoha is prideful and wouldn't turn on their offer, especially not a one from their new Kage, it would reflect weakness, indecision and deceit. Not a great way to start a relationship with us."

I smirked and sat back, glad to have a voice of reason on this council of mine. Like every Kage before me I have the power to add more councillors so long as the number remained odd. I wondered who I'd like to add and only Mei that comes to mind leaving the odd slot empty.

Funato's frown deepened, "These are fair and sound points, Karatachi, but Kiri has never left itself so vulnerable to outside influence, we already have insurgents plaguing the Land of Water, concerning ourselves with-"

Lady Megumi sighed loudly and shook her head at Lord Funato, "Mizukage-sama has already made his decision, Funato-dono. Our words walk in one ear and out the other, Kaguya, Ame, and now Konoha, I fear the words of elders have no value."

Funato seemed shaken by her words, his grip on his cane hardened and I thought he was about to strike it again but instead, he started to stand.

"Lord Funato!" It was Uncle who shouted, his eyes darted to me and squinted in a way that told me explicitly to suck up, "There's no need to leave yet, I'm sure we can help the Mizukage see our way on some matters if not all. The council does not exist alone to counsel on Konoha after all."

He laughed sheepishly and Funato miraculously cracked a smile. The old man turned to me, disappointment clear on his face, "As the Mizukage wishes, it shall be. As Hozuki-dono has said, we offer ancient wisdom it is your choice to heed it or not."

"Of course, I appreciate that wisdom." I said with a tight lipped smile. Judging by Uncle's reaction there are consequences to stepping on these old folks toes too much, I have to remind myself that even a Kage is subject to be overthrown or assassinated for a more favourably candidate.

My power only extends as far as I can throw the clans of the ruling caste. As a Karatachi my clan will stand with me, I know Uncle will. But the others, I see I have to choose whether to cajole or terrorize them into submission.

"Say, Lady Megumi, how about we revisit my intentions for the Kaguya, I want you to understand and…I may have been hasty in rejecting your proposals." I catch Lord Funato peeking at me expectantly but unfortunately I say nothing regarding my decisions on Ame and Konoha, those will stand.

Uncle Aoto smiled brightly at everyone, "Yes, I think that's a great idea."

Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik, Asura and the quite mysterious 6th patron; Someone for being a part of the library!
here
That's all for today guys! Hope you enjoyed the mini binge, remember, if you've got an idea for achievable milestones that could prompt more 4chap days lemme know. As always, see ya next tomorrow!

I Dream Of Peace
"I really don't like your office." Uncle stated honestly, "When are you going to spruce this place up?" He lingered, pacing about the office and poking stuff as though there wasn't a couch to sit at.

In truth, I felt the same way about the office, I had particular preferences that followed me from my past life to this one and I'd like to see them met. It's simply a matter of time and importance, gathering the necessary things and finding the time where I wouldn't mind being disturbed as I worked.

"It's on my list of things to do...just near the bottom. Not a lot of spare time on my hands as Mizukage yknow?" I raised an eye from the promotion request I was reading, I sighed and pulled out my official seal and stamped it blue with my approval.

Uncle scoffed and sent an accusing look at me, "Spare time? Hm, I guess visiting a tea house with a certain Rina isn't a waste of time then."

I groaned, "That's how I got Lady Megumi's proposals, even this one." I pointed at the approved request and Uncle's accusatory gaze softened. "Mangetsu Hozuki…Chuunin. What do you think?"

Uncle Aoto sighed as he shrugged, "He's a prodigy, it makes sense to promote him, even if you're only doing it as a compromise. Did you plan this?"

"Huh? Plan what?" There were a lot of things I was planning.

"Forcing Lady Megumi to compromise, you rejected her proposal to hunt and exterminate the Kaguya, a thing many clans agree with but you also rejected Mangetsu's promotion. And now, you've approved it…" He trailed off, looking at me expectantly.

Of course, I could fill in the blanks of what he means, what he thinks I orchestrated. In fact, that sounds like a genius plan to have had but really, when Rina in all her beauty voiced the plans for the Kaguya clan extermination from the Land of Water and in the same breath asked for Mangetsu, a six-year old to be promoted so he can participate...well, let's just say I'd heard enough.

As a result of the last council meeting, I've explained my reasoning for not wanting to exterminate the Kaguya. Kirigakure is a village founded on the backs of the invaded clans, the low caste as they're called once integrated. Since that tradition still exists there's no need to genocide a clan wielding such a powerful Kekkei Genkai. Eiko's report on their physiology corroborates these facts.

However, Yagura knew there's nothing I could say to that'd make keeping Mangetsu as a Genin sound like a good idea to anyone on the council. Kiri has just suffered a war and bolstering our military ranks with capable shinobi is one of the most important tasks I have as Mizukage.

I shook my head, "No, it was no scheme. I simply didn't find any of it a good idea but I am willing to compromise."

Uncle stood at my desk, fists pressed against it as he leaned in with the most serious look I've seen on him since the meeting, "Yagura, you should know by now that the clans are powers even the Mizukage has to bargain with. Sandaime-sama was a ruthless man and as he married Lord Funato's granddaughter he had the backing of both the Funato and Hozuki clans and he also had war."

I dropped my pen and sat back to listen.

"A war, believe it or not, is an ally to every Kage. Wartime means no one dares question your measures, wartime means your word is truly law as it should be. But Yagura, the war is over, you mustn't test the waters too frequently or else you will be bitten."

I flexed my clenched jaw and asked, "I have the Karatachi behind me, don't I?"

His fierce gaze lightened and he smiled, "You better believe it."

Grateful I nodded, "I appreciate your wisdom, Uncle, I will ensure my best to stave off threats to my…peaceful reign."

"As long as you're visiting tea houses you should consider getting married, Lady Megumi is certainly amenable." There he goes again with the marriage topic.

"I noticed. But I'd like to find a wife that isn't just a mouthpiece for her clan, Rina doesn't seem to be that just yet but if Lady Megumi keeps this up then…well, she can forget having a Karatachi groom."

Uncle hummed in thought, clearly not in total agreement but unwilling to push the matter. Folding his arms, he asks, "So, who will you send to the Kaguya?"

At this I grinned. Of the many plans I've been dreaming up this is one I'm anxious to test as soon as possible. The Kaguya attack happened nearly two weeks ago and I'm sure to some within the village it looks like I've been dragging my feet to decide just what kind of retaliation I wanted to send down.

But as Uncle has said, without a war or marriage to another powerful clan, I needed allies within to prop my fresh reign and so, I look to the neglected albeit powerful clans of Yuki and Hoshigaki.

"Reina Yuki, Elite Jounin and current Commander of our ANBU, exemplary service. Kisame Hoshigaki, prospective Seven Swordsman of the Mist, hasn't been assigned any of the free blades, not even while he was being tested for the succession." I raised a knowing eyebrow as Uncle's eyes widened in realization.

He grinned, "I think I'll help you decorate this office, I'm missing all the fun by staying away."

"You should come more often; I wouldn't mind picking your brain on some of these. Konoha for example."

At this he outright laughed, "That's your burden to bear, Mizukage-sama. A peaceful Mist is what you want huh? Let us hope this Yellow Flash of theirs isn't anything like Sarutobi, though the man still lives, his influence over the village is not dead. My advice? Expect nothing but disappointment."

Harsh words but truth filled them all. There was an even bigger obstacle to peace between villages than the Third Hokage to consider, a vile man willing to pay any cost as long as Konoha came out on top of the dogpile.

Danzo Shimura.

Hey guys, just a heads up since this is the last week of March. I'll be taking a week long break from posting once April begins, need to step back and look at the bigger picture of the story to develop it and I want to build a healthier stockpile of privileged chapters for my patrons. I'll be back to the usual posting schedule on the second week so yeah.

here

Kaguya Crisis
"Why didn't we know about this two weeks ago?" I demanded, scroll clenched in my fists.

Owl mask bowed deeper her voice steady and unflinching as she reported her failure, "Reports of attacks on the five clans took priority and afterwards, with the Daimyo and the succession, our operatives prioritized calls from the Central District. We're investigating and widening our patrol to execute the hidden Kaguya to the last man."

I wanted to scream but instead I held back the boiling knot of anger in my throat. Beneath it I found the compassion to give the order to capture them instead but that would only make me look weak and Yagura wasn't comfortable with that— there was no redeeming them for what they've done.

Not these ones but we can still stop a genocide.

"Bring me one." I ordered as I stood from my desk, my haori flowed behind me as I marched past her kneeling form. I tapped her shoulder as I sped out and she fell to my side. "How many breeches did you say?"

"Twenty-nine as current count, we may discover more but based on what's been coming in from the Caste District, that's the working number." She said, matching my pace as we strutted out of the Tower, working shinobi bowing or flinching to greet as I approach.

"Twenty-nine and we're estimating teams of six like the ones that attacked the clan compounds." My knuckles whitened as I did the math, "That means a hundred and seventy Kaguya are roaming about my village. That may well be the entire Kaguya clan, are you sure the reports on their village is accurate?"

She hesitated and it infuriated me. Sensing the killing intent radiating off me she snapped to answer, "They are outdated, keeping up with the trends and numbers of changing nomadic tribe and clans of shinobi isn't easy."

"I didn't ask for excuses, Owl."

The lower floor of the Tower got busy with Chuunin and others taking care of things so she fell silent without another word. I didn't say a word to the numerous faces that did double takes and stammered in search of the right greeting or those who bowed, smiled and did everything perfect. As long as they got out of the way it was fine.

Down the stairs and onto the ground floor where four feet statues of the past Mizukage greeted any and every one on entry. Between them are two tall desks filled with scrolls and manned by friendly faced but exhausted Chuunin who handed out trivial missions. There were another two desks on the floor above but for B-rank missions and for filing mission requests of that rank and above.

The large, conference sized space of the reception was filled with Genin and their Jounin who looked on in awe and surprise respectively. Surprising because I usually don't bother coming down here, I didn't see myself bothering with Genin anytime soon and I could leap off building to get where I wanted.

But in my anger my legs carried me out this way. It was fine though, Owl mask had little to say and the aura of rage I tried to suppress said it all. Besides, my destination was across the street.

We marched out at brisk pace to the Sensor Division HQ. A large teardrop shaped blue building that only had two storeys despite its impressive size. But as the guards at the front saluted and hurriedly opened its long doors, the reason is immediately apparent.

A massive sphere of water floated in the middle of the room. The entrance opened to a chakra-glass protected walkway and stairs on either side that led down to a large hall occupied by skittish Sensor-nin and their assistants. All of whom were working double time to analyse and process readings sluggishly printing out from machines.

My presence was felt before I was seen. The scattered chatter and back talk ended abruptly as the room full of Sensor-nin sniffed out my imposing chakra and mood with ease.

I took the floor with Owl mask trailing behind me. The room was silent as I took their faces in, they gulped and cursed under their breaths as they shied away from my gaze.

"Who is responsible?" Yagura sneered out through me.

A man in simple flak gear step out into view, his fingers twitching beside him. He crossed over the small stream of water feeding the water sphere and began approaching as he stuttered, "Yondaime-sama…I...the issue with the sphere it's not so simple there were too many figures moving around at one a-and and I, I mean we couldn't- even Osamu couldn't-ack!"

Before he had a chance to flinch or even more to protect himself, my palm was buried in his gut, causing him to fold over my arm and lean. I threw him off and he fell to the ground coughing and puking out whatever he had for lunch.

"Kneel and don't get up until every one of them is accounted for." I turned to face the rest of the Sensor Division, the grim acceptance of punishment evident on their faces. "What are you waiting for? Someone give me a report and get back to searching for every last damned Kaguya killing and raping in my village!"

I turned my attention to Owl hanging like a shadow behind me, "Go, announce an emergency. Shut down every gate, no one goes in or out. Alert the Jounin stations and get me Eiko."

"Sir!"

She vanished in a haze and I was faced with a chubby man that hadn't bothered wearing shinobi gear and donned a simple white labcoat over his stretched black attire.

"Osamu reporting, sir! I was- uh, yes, the situation is…difficult to describe." Osamu's eyes darted everywhere but mine as he quickly introduced himself. "Our current capabilities with the Water Sensing Sphere are quite limited, we can only sense around an area for specific targets whose chakra signatures we've confirmed via field operators or we can search a specified area for irregularities and flagged chakra usage. But as far as the Kaguya are concerned we haven't enough data to accurately seek out chakra natures and movements similar to those that attacked the clans.

He gulped, squirming under my gaze, "So, basically we need to find more Kaguya to, um, you know, calibrate the Sphere and, uh, make it better at sensing them accurately. But, even then, the Sphere can't search all of Kiri at once, so, uh, it's gonna take, um, at least two... or, uh, maybe even four days to do it properly. For now, all we can really do is, like, search out in the field and report back to the Sensor Division whenever there are encounters so we can study their, uh, chakra patterns."

Four days to scan the entire village? Too slow, much too slow. It's no wonder the Third fell victim to Madara. I bit my lip and glared at the Water Sensing Sphere, adding it to the list of things I ought to improve about the village.

"Go back to work." I said, tired from being angry. I glanced at the unfortunate man that lost his lunch to Yagura's palm strike, he was kneeling as I ordered, his mouth dripping with unwiped vomit.

I cringed and turned away. My third week as Mizukage was starting out with hell.

Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik, Asura and Someone for being a part of the library!
here
See ya next tomorrow!

Bone Hunting
My Bo-staff's large hook grabbed hold of the man's neck and I yanked him onto my Wind Blade. He gasped and gurgled blood as his knees gave out beneath him. Yagura dragged the Wind Blade diagonally, cutting through his organs and slicing out his pelvis.

He crumpled at my feet and just as I was about to leap off to find the next, he grasped my ankle, clenching onto it like it'd do anything. I spared the man I'd just laid at death's door and found that same disgusting grin every damned crazy Kaguya wore.

His mouth was brimming with blood as he choked out, "We..weee…we will be—"

I snatched my foot away and glared, tempted to bring his death closer still but Ao shutters nearby, his fingers held in a Tiger hand sign and so I move on, "Have you found the next?"

I'm glad I recalled Ao to my side long ago, his Byakugan made patrolling and exterminating the invasive Kaguya a breeze. Yagura's Mist Perception allows me to perceive people and items moving through the mist but it doesn't let me differentiate between them. Ally and foe ring the same bells and so I tried not to rely on it.

The emergency I ordered forced everyone into their homes, all shops and services closed. Every active and available Chuunin and Jounin combed the village in teams of three. Ordered to search and exterminate the invasive Kaguya. It's not at all the kind of orders I wanted to give considering a massacre is exactly what I wanted to prevent.

But alas, I am Mizukage. My duty was to protect this village and the enemy will not surrender.

Standing atop a rooftop and gazing through his Byakugan, Ao nodded and I leapt to his side. He pointed, "There are three north of this street and another two over to the western markets but someone's engaged them already."

The streets are drained of life but full of mist, thicker mist than usual as the [Hidden in the Mist] technique shapes the entire village into a battleground favouring Kiri shinobi.

"Are the Kaguya bone-users?"

Ao frowned, brows furrowed in concentration as the Byakugan's use ate more chakra, "Yes, two C-tier users and three D-tier users approaching from the north though."

Eiko's report was truly valuable. His breakdown on the Kaguya clan's bone manipulating technique classified them into tiers of ascending threat levels. They were rare, truly, but not so rare that I wasn't already tired of seeing them.

His classifications put the Kaguya into four tiers. D-tier, bone users that could grow and enhance their skeletal structure, giving protection where there shouldn't. C-tier were the users that could emit their bones outside their body to a lesser degree, usually only wielding a bone sword still attached to their skeleton.

B-tiers were the users who seemed to have mastered the technique enough to mass produce their bone weapons for the numerous clan members that didn't express the dangerous Kekkei Genkai. The A-tiers were those that begun to resemble Kimimaro, the ones would could easily regenerate chopped off fingers and toes, the ones that didn't mind if their spine was broken or their skulls shattered.

The A-tiers were the true threats as [Shikotsumyaku] manifested well in them, giving them power to produce bone even outside their body to display sheer destructive power. So far I've only faced one of these A-tiers and that was over two weeks ago when they attacked the Hozuki.

Judging by the ratio of normal clan members to bone users reported anyone could discern the Kekkei Genkai was rare but the A-tiers were particularly so. A fortunate thing to be honest as I didn't know how many of the Kiri shinobi running around could stand up against them in an encounter.

"To the C-tier then." I said and Ao quickly led the way, leaping through the rooftops.

Eiko's report on the Kaguya's bone-user capabilities was distributed amongst the rank and file, Jounin and Elite Jounin leading teams would inform their mates what to be wary of should and encounter occur but after that, it was left to the Kiri shinobi to bring them down.

Knowing how dangerous they are I personally prioritized hunting down the highest tiered bone user. Whoever was facing those two C-tier's now couldn't be having a good time.

I wanted to asked Ao if there weren't any more Kiri shinobi facing them, I'd ordered Elite Jounin and Jounin to pair up in teams with Chuunin so the only reason a singular person would be fending off two C-tiers is if their entire team was taken down.

Fist clenched around my Bo-staff I refused to voice out the concern lest it become reality but Ao seemed to sense my apprehension, "Only a bit further, Yondaime-sama."

I nodded and glimpsed the pale moon peeking out above the village, shining bright enough to illuminate our steps through the mist. It's been a whole day of this already without rest. According the Sensor Division just over seventy of the hidden Kaguya had been snuffed out of their hiding places and executed.

My gut tumbled every time I heard a report of such a finding. Over the two weeks the Kaguya had slipped in and camped, they'd made quick work slaughtering civilian and even some shinobi families in the Caste District where our attention was least expected.

Several homes were invaded and occupied by the damned Kaguya. They raided and left to carry out more atrocities throughout the Caste District without a single report appearing on my desk until a few of them dared trifle with the rich and prosperous stores owned by prominent clans in the Business District.

So many of their victims are…were victims of Kirigakure. I wondered about my plans to integrate the sane population of the Kaguya clan into Kiri and I doubted it would fly at all. It was my intention to find a place for them in the Caste District but after this incident, even the Castes wouldn't sit idle if relatives of their murderers and rapists came to make a home.

Fuck, this is messed up.

Finally, Ao came to a halt but I leaped forward, already heard the cries of battle raging below. Soaring over the rooftops I had a look at the scene below and quickly identified my enemies.

One C-tier stood behind and cackled as she supported her partner's wild swings and dances with finger bone projectiles. Her partner disturbed a young child managing to block his flailing strikes with a kunai that was quickly getting chipped.

I sneered and descended. The projectile user took note of me first but Ao didn't spare a moment and quickly engaged her in a fierce taijutsu dance. With his Byakugan on her movements were paltry to decipher even though I'm certain her skin would be harder than steel.

Yagura dashed out with a vengeance, the Bo-staff swung out in an arc that smashed through the bone-user's legs, sweeping him off them as they cracked and bent awkwardly. As he fell, the child he was trying to murder is revealed and before me stands a chakra exhausted but relatively unharmed Mangetsu Hozuki.

"What are you-!" My shock is doubled as the crippled Kaguya leaped out and stabbed my foot with a bone sword.

Instinctively I tried to move away but he snaps it off, leaving it impaled in my foot and me pinned to the ground as one of his legs snap back to form in time for him to push forward. His throat protruded with another oddly placed bone sword looking to poke out my eye.

He doesn't get the chance as Mangetsu snatches his head of hair and presses his kunai to the man's bone bulged throat. Using all his strength Mangetsu buried the chipped and blunted kunai in the man's throat before any more bone reinforcements could form out of his body.

Blinked back to my senses I snatch Mangetsu out of the way with one arm and hammer my Bo-staff into the Kaguya's gyrating skull before he can get a grip on the kunai lodge in his throat. His head caves in, soaking hair and my Bo-staff with his blood as the light in his squished eyes goes out permanently.

"Mangetsu! What are you doing here?" I snapped at the child I still held up with one arm. I glanced over my shoulder and found Ao had already finished dealing with his opponent with minimal water damage to the surroundings.

The Hozuki prodigy just stared blankly at me, "Mizukage-sama ordered all available Chuunin to take to the field."

Right, fuck me, I promoted this child to Chuunin. "Yes, but in teams, where is yours?" I asked and set him down.

He looked left then right and pointed down the street. I couldn't see what was down there but I had a feeling. I reached down and yanked the bone sword pinning my foot and hissed, "I'm sorry. You've done well. We'll be your new team now."

His face betrayed no emotion but looking at him reminded me of…Rina! I blinked over at Ao, wondering if I should ask him to search for her, alternatively I could just ask the Sensor Division where she'd been deployed through the earbud but I restrained myself.

Now wasn't the time for favouritism or weakness. I'd ordered every Chuunin to the field and so every Chuunin took to it. "Ao, he'll be joining us, give him a pill. Where's the next set?"

Yup, if you guessed power trouble as the reason for a missed 'otherday' you'd be half right! Haha, other irl stuff got in the way as well but I'm back until the first week of April. Hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Special thanks to my patrons; noxodrac, Garrett, John, Berik, Asura and Someone for being a part of the library!
here

Ending the Threat
"Give up! Give up now while you still have the chance!" Owl mask yelled down at the large fishing dock, ANBU crowded around it, perched atop light posts, rooftops and even the sails of anchored ships. "Come out, kneel and accept the chakra seal as you surrender and you will receive consideration from the Mizukage!"

My generosity knew no bounds. I stood at the forefront of the house that served both as home and workplace to the lower caste folk living here. Ao stood behind me with a box of Harusame's Chakra-Suppressing Seals in hand, we could beat them into submission but according the Sensor HQ there was another A-tier lurking in the occupied house.

It took hours but Sensor HQ finally got their act together and studied enough Kaguya chakra that they could thread the pattern and identify them from a crowd of shinobi. They quickly alerted us to this place, where the largest gathering of Kaguya clan members was.

Somehow over thirty Kaguya had fit themselves into the house, it was a large house considering it doubled as a fishing dock for active sailors and fishermen but not large enough that I held hope the Kaguya kept any of the original owners alive as hostages.

The fact they haven't bothered to negotiate…

I was beginning to wonder if this was some kind of butterfly effect or time paradox. It felt like the universe's schemes for the Kaguya's genocide were firmly in place and no matter how much I delayed or had compassion for them, their deaths were written and meant to be played out.

Owl mask assured me that her ANBU reports a clutch of the Kaguya clans people but given this secret invasion of theirs I figure all that makes up the clutch would be women and children.

And even then, I wondered. The silence after another round of Owl masks demands grew and the horde of ANBU gathered were tensed, waiting for my word to move into the house and end every Kaguya life within. Instead I looked over my shoulder and asked Ao, "What do you see?"

He promptly activated his Byakugan and peered into the lair, "Same as last, they're eating, lounging and discussing. Some have taken up guard near the windows and doors but otherwise they're ignoring us."

In that moment I wanted to give the order more than anything. Lounging? After killing so many innocents? My people? Jason calmed me down, a slaughter wasn't the solution I was looking for here. No matter what, I didn't want to be the Yagura that follows the Sandaime's Bloody Mist trend.

So I shut my eyes, breathed out and started walking towards the house. The ANBU flinched to move but restrained themselves, I hadn't given an order. With my Bo-staff well in hand I knocked on the barricaded door and spoke.

"Shinobi of the Kaguya, I am Yondaime Mizukage, Yagura Karatachi. You have my attention."

For a moment silence continued to prevail as it had but then something shifted by the door, the all too familiar noise of tumbling furniture before the door knob twists and opens enough for a grinning face to peek at me.

"A child? The Mizukage is a child! Bwahaha!"

I frowned and the laughter ceased as the killing intent Jason suppressed as I approached surged out like a flood. The man at the door was stunned silent as fear paralyzed him, so much so that he forgot to keep a hold on the door and it swung open for me.

"Who speaks for the clan?" I already knew. At the end of the furniture scattered corridor was a silhouette of a strong man. He stood and turned with a possessed looking grin on his face as well.

"And you…speak for the entire…Hidden Village. Hahah, haha, ahahaha!"

They all seemed genuinely disturbed. I crossed the threshold without my ANBU and instantly felt dozens of eyes on me. True to Ao's word they were crawling in every nook and cranny of the scattered house.

"You attacked my people, you understand you're not going to live, don't you?" I informed him as gripped my bat and settled into a ready stance. "I have only come to ask you two things."

The man crossed over one obstacle before deciding to simply push them away with his strides. He was tall, far taller than the average Kaguya not to mention well-toned.

He stopped at the front of the second door on the left, his eye shifting into it before darting back onto me, "Ahh, you have come to beg mercy and bread, a fine choice. Your people only have fish."

I narrowed at him, "Why have you attacked us? Are there more Kaguya out there or have you brought your whole clan to die with you?"

Shuffles from the rooms became louder as more of his men approached, they peeked out and stared but didn't make a move, their bloodlust barely disguised in their eyes.

"Why? Why else but to show all of the Land of Water that the Kaguya are superior to all! Even their so called Hidden Village." He pressed his fingers to his head as he chuckled, then cackled, "You know, finding this damned place was the hardest part, there's mist everywhere and you can't see your own foot half the time. But then, then the battle begun, one person becomes two and two becomes three and in time there was a line of corpses long enough to lead us right…here."

He licked his lips at me and dared step forward, "Who do you think is at the end of that line, Mizukage?" Chakra flexed within him and bone swords began to protrude out of him.

"Very well, then, are there still Kaguya out there?"

He snorts, "You fear retribution from my grandmother? Tahahahaha! Let's kill him, Kaguya warriors! Let's kill them all! Let's have it all!"

He lurched at me and I twisted, instantly batting him away while raising a handsign— "Good then, this won't be genocide. Die." — my chakra long fed into the waters below and around the house exploded into it as Kaguya members surrounded me on all sides.

It was too late for them though, I held my breath as water broke in, quickly flooding the entire house, shattering through wood, iron and every obstacle in order to fill it to the brim and drown every single Kaguya.

"Water Release: Giant Water Prison."

The fools fought hard even as the water began to raise them away from their footing, I controlled the water and drew myself away from it, stepping out of the house to watch with some fascination as my favourite jutsu enveloped it entirely.

With a little more chakra from my massive reserves I contained the jutsu as the foolish clan head and his minions flung bone out through the water. The house creaked and groaned, complaining as the pressure doubled, shatter the foundations.

Even with my borrowed skill I wasn't channelling Yagura as much as I do, I didn't need him for this, I didn't need to depend on him to bring them retribution. My jutsu strained under their barrage of assaults, conflicting chakra in a confined space, all fighting to be the dominant force.

I could feel some of them trying to cast Water Release techniques but I gripped my Bo-staff, using it to guide my chakra better and follow my unspoken will. Their techniques proved useless, weak, fodder.

Warbling above all our heads the [Water Prison] trapping the entire house began to visibly shrink as I twirled my Bo-staff at it. A little maelstrom fuelled further by my Wind Affinity churned the house and in seconds it lost all resemblance to a place of living, the transparent blue turning red as Kaguya fed the maelstrom of splintered wood, fish hooks and dozens of blades typical to a fisherman's home.

Defiant to the very last, a burst of bone splintered through my [Water Prison] agitating the silent ANBU watching me work. I didn't care for any more struggles though and with my Bo-staff I raised the warbling sphere of bloodstained water, ignoring the bones piercing through its surface.

I raised it over twenty feet before, with some strain, shifted it over the street on my left. It was a wide and empty concrete walkway with no one in sight and nothing of value, the ANBU present sensed my intentions and made themselves scarce.

With a final swing of my Bo-staff I brought the [Water Prison] crashing down from on high. The explosion and swell of water fractured the ground as it dispersed, flooding the street and flowing back into the sea I pulled it from.

The splintered bone construct broke here and there but remained, I glanced over at Ao, he still held the box of seals and wore a solemn look on his face watching bloodied water rush against our feet.

I breathed deeply and found Mangetsu behind him, looking up at me with no small amount of awe. I clipped my Bo-staff to my back and gave a general order, "Make sure they're dead."

Jason held hope this would be the last time a Bloody Mist incident like this occurred but reality seemed to have a different story in mind. Still, I latched onto that hope, he mentioned a grandmother so the old and infantile Kaguya could still remain.

here
See ya next tomorrow! (fingers crossed)

Something About the Rain
It was Sunday and so it rained. Mei found it odd that a single day out of the week was designated for rainfall in the village, it contradicted everything she'd learned about it prior.

They rented an already furnished flat for their needs, a generous amount of ryo from the mission pot but it was worth it because while their neighbours might not be the friendliest they were easy to interrogate under the pretence of new residents. It was the old couple next door that informed them of the scheduled rain, they found it odd but the only explanation they got was that it was the 'Angel's Gift'.

Mei's partner, or rather, darling husband Daiki simply found it refreshing, said it gave people time to do their laundry, kids the chance to play without getting ill and so many other pointless defences. He knew as well as she did that rain wasn't commanded and if it was, at this scale, it had to be a jutsu.

Daiki was better than she was at playing house, which Mei found surprising given all her dreams of a family. But this wasn't a true family so she forgave herself for not feeling as comfortable as he. Daiki was more experienced with infiltrations having spent more time in the ANBU than she dared.

It was good though, he was easy to work with and together Mei believes they put up a show convincing enough of the eyes trained on them. But that's another thing, since they passed the multitude of examinations before being allowed to enter, there have been a number of eyes on them.

Not enough to make her worry about the mission being found out, no, just a healthy amount of surveillance she'd expect from any competent shinobi village. Except, that changes entirely on Sunday.

Mei stared out the window, it was almost noon and yet the skies were darkened with so many rain clouds it might as well be night. Idly she drew her knife through the slab of meat they'd be having for lunch and dinner all while musing the rain.

She'd stepped out to enjoy it when it started at midnight but when the first drop fell to her cheek she knew something was dangerously wrong with it. It fell from the sky like a god had thrown out a bucket from the heavens and for over eight hours its intensity never eased up. There weren't any playful drizzles before hail or even lightning arcing through the clouds to announce its presence.

Nothing but rain.

The entrance door opened and she felt Daiki's presence, heard him dripping all over the floors. He sighed, tired from a long, cold day of pretence.

"You're back early. How was the job hunt?" she yelled out from the kitchen, snapping back to reality and eagerly chopping up the meat and moving on to the vegetables.

Daiki groaned, "Ah…they aren't looking for anything I can offer and they're wary of me. Apparently today is a holy day, everyone with a roof has a shrine lit for the Angel."

The denizens of the rain were extremely isolationist, it's a miracle they even got in but even then, to find work, find a place to stay or even begin to ingratiate with the systems here as an outsider was a challenge of its own as the people could always tell who was new and who wasn't.

"How was it here?" Daiki asked, coming in the kitchen and leaning by the counter. He plucked a slice of onion and chewed.

As mission leader Mei decided it would be best if she played the role of a housewife, often going out on strolls with her patchwork basket to shop for foodstuff bits at a time. She was still young enough that it would garner suspicion if she went out looking for jobs like Daiki but at the same time not quite old enough that she'd relate with the other housewives nearby.

She'd made some acquaintances in the market after a couple visits, they were easing up to her and the healthy ryo she provided also made her some quick friends. In time she'd grow comfortable with the loosest lips and many of the questions plaguing her about this 'Angel' of theirs and whatever happened to Hanzo would be answered.

Mei looked over at Daiki, waving the knife at the rain, "Did you feel anything? Aside from cold I mean."

He thought, eyes watching her knife swings closely, "Uhm, like when I stepped out? Hmm, not really. What are you thinking?"

She sighed and went on chopping, "You know what I'm thinking."

He stayed silent for a moment before shifting closer, his hand glided over hers and forced them to drop the knife as he seized them. "Come, I'm soaked in the rain and I have only you to warm me up."

Daiki was a handsome man even if he wasn't her type, but her type didn't matter, this was a mission and so she let his arms wrap around her in a tight, warming hug. He kissed her cheek and whispered, "You know now isn't the time, let's be patient."

Advice from a more experienced officer. She planted a kiss on his lip as they pulled apart, patting his cheek affectionately she said, "Go, change up and I'll have lunch ready in a few."

Daiki grinned like the happily married man he wasn't and left her to finish up with lunch prep. He was right, it was too early to make any major investigations, besides, they'd sent back word to Kiri about the successful infiltration and have yet to receive further orders. There wasn't any need to be hasty.

Yet, Mei felt something was bubbling just under the surface here and perhaps it was just her inexperience but it was unsettling how everyone in the rain pretended like Hanzo didn't exist. And what was all this talk about the Angel? Were they the one behind the scheduled rain?

The question that plagued her most though was what Yagura was thinking, what did he know? What were his intentions for this place? Why were they here?

Mei sighed at her furrowed brows and tried to relax, it wouldn't do any good to earn wrinkles over something she had no control or say in. Still, she'd already begun wishing she were home, she missed her village and though it's barely been a week since they infiltrated, Mei could tell this would be a long mission.

here

Sharp Toothed Negotiations
Junko Hoshigaki could only see two sides to what was happening, the good and the very bad.

Servants shuffled around the compound hastily attending duties they had left over but Junko knew it was futile. She was hastily moving out of the mansion, throwing on the only proper jacket she could find in time and tying her hair up so she's moderately presentable.

Still, despite the minute head start they got from the gatemen there wasn't enough time to cover up just how much of a mess the clan compound was or even summon her advisors to join her in meeting the Yondaime Mizukage.

She jumped onto the roof and peeked the familiar outline of the Mizukage's blue hat and the imposing symbol of all water on it. She squinted and noted the two people at his side, both standing taller than the Mizukage himself— they'd said he was short.

Junko quickly placed the face of Ao, the one said to have gotten himself a Byakugan, a usable one at that. He looked well and comfortable at the Mizukage's right-hand. The other was one wearing a demon mask, Junko struggled to place it for a moment but couldn't deny the familiarity. She had no idea who was behind it though.

The Mizukage began to look up at her position and Junko quickly made herself scarce, landing on the ground and clapping aggressively at her servants, "Quick now, finish what you're doing now and get out. Tell the kitchen they'd better prepare, sencha tea, get it!"

Junko pressed her clothes down in a stray mirror as they huffed through their work. One servant nearly spilling a water bucket all over the floor. Good help was so hard to find. But then she would have good help if it weren't for…nevermind. She opened the doors a foolish servant had shut, letting air run in and out unheeded before hurriedly shifting a couch in place all.

Finally, she stopped by the large tank hosting her long-time friend and asked, "How is it? Not bad?"

Samekiru took his time swimming around and Junko's kicked her knee impatiently until the giant white shark within the tank that took up all most of the vertical in her home measured a grin at her.

He had a scarred eye that had glazed over but he refused to transplant and a gruesome cut down his nose and along the bottom of his stomach. He shook his head and booped the glass between them.

"No, it's not Kisame or actually, maybe it is I-"

Before she could form two sentences of conversation with her longest companion a stray guard of hers announces behind her, "Yondaime Mizukage, Yagura Karatachi, sir."

She caught a glimpse of Yagura in the reflection of the tank before she turned around, presenting her best, friendly looking smile at the man. Her feet carried her forward to kneel without her having to think about it, "Lord Yagura, it is good to see you again."

He rested a hand on her shoulder, grateful for her acquiescence but found it unnecessary, "I hope so, I know I've come quite unexpectedly." He glances around the large parlour, examining the many trinkets and treasures from her time at sea.

Junko rose and turned to Ao, "It's also good to lay eyes on Kirigakure's one and only Dojutsu user, how is it?"

Ao stiffened, his eyes dart between the Mizukage and herself but before his lips part Yagura spoke, "You can find out on your own time, Hoshigaki-dono, I am unfortunately not here for many pleasantries."

Of course he wouldn't. Junko pressed her smile and quickly offered her Mizukage a place to sit, his companions however chose to stand like statues behind him. She called for tea, insisting that it is the least she can and must muster for the grace of his presence in her home alone.

While that was being made, she took in the young man that she'd slit her wrist in oath to. His inauguration day had left little of him to the common noble and though she is the face of the Hoshigaki, one of the five major clans, she knew better than most that they weren't as well positioned as any of the clans sitting on his council now. Funato, Hozuki and Karatachi.

There's major five and then there's great three.

She let her smile lax a bit as she started with the small talk, even with the statues behind him he would accept this much, wouldn't he? "How goes the search? I got the report about these Kaguya and I've ensured any hidden amongst us were put to use."

His eyes narrowed at her for a fraction then shifted focus behind her. Junko didn't need to turn around to know he felt someway about the giant shark lounging with them in the parlour but she also didn't need to address it if he wouldn't.

"The Sensor Division has recovered some sense and put it to good use." He began in a measured tone; it was heard to read him beneath the full veil of his Kage attire. "There will be changes made to many functions of Kiri after this is fully resolved."

Junko nodded with sympathies, "Yes, it's unfortunate you've come in power at such a tumultuous period, first the Third and now this? It makes you wonder doesn't it?"

He answered without missing a beat, "It is quite the opposite, Hoshigaki-dono, it's fortunate that I've come when I have. It is starkly clear that Kiri is in need of some change and that's part of the reason I am here today."

"Oh?" Junko tensed measurably hearing this. As she thought, this could only end in two ways— good or very bad. She hadn't the time to forge a bond with the Mizukage prior or even after the fact of his inauguration. And now he's sitting in her parlour after arriving unannounced, without schedule or even a little parley of words.

Moreover, he was wearing every bit of legitimacy he swore to as Mizukage. His haori, hat and the veil all spectacularly white, the one man in all of Kiri with a Dojutsu and a mysterious man donning a demon-mask whose origins was on the tip of her tongue.

Junko was unlike her fellow major clan heads in various ways but most noticeably she was youngest of all. But despite it she has seen enough of clan and village guile to know when a person is making a show of force and power.

She'd participated in the Second Shinobi was as a hastily promoted Chuunin and proved her worth just as quickly—! She snapped her finger at the demon-mask man and grinned a toothy grin.

"I remember where that mask is from now," she said and watched the mysterious figure tense before realizing the young Mizukage was getting to his point of visit. "Oh, yes, don't mind me please, it's just been bugging since I laid eyes on it."

He gave her an odd look beneath the veil but continued, "Yes, well, he is key in why I've come today. Hoshigaki-dono, I want you to be part of the change I'm building and so I've come to offer a boon."

A boon? No doubt the price paid will be just as great. Junko said nothing as her lazy servants finally shuffled out to set the table with sencha tea and some sweet biscuits, "I heard you enjoyed sencha, Mizukage-sama, please enjoy."

At this he outright frowns and Junko gulped, she was treading truly unfamiliar ground. Did he not like sencha afterall? No, no, her advisors had literally chanted the word in her ear when word of his outing with the Hozuki girl happened.

Still, he isn't rude and bothered himself with a single sip before setting it down and getting right back to what he was saying, "I will be blunt. I need the Hoshigaki to house some of the Kaguya for a time."

Junko almost spit her own tea, only calm prevailed in time and she got away with a wet nose, "House? The Kaguya?"

Were they not the source of his stresses at the moment? Junko couldn't figure the man out but she did anticipate what this would be about, this wasn't as simple as a request, this was an order. He might not have come with a battalion of ANBU but denying him as he's dressed in all the effigies of the Mizukage and the Daimyos will would not be wise.

Junko restrained the bubbling frustration within her, "I see…and am I privy to knowing why this is happening? The Kaguya have slaughtered people of our village, why shelter them?"

If he was phased by her hesitance, he didn't show it, instead he merely leaned in and took another sip of tea— look at that, he does like sencha. "I should emphasise that the ones you will shelter are not combatants, they will mostly be old folk and infants."

Junko couldn't miss him talking like she'd already accepted, then again, what choice did she really have? Hmmm…choice. "Why is this task specific to the Hoshigaki? We have no love for the Kaguya and their ilk. Why not the Karatachi compound or Hozuki?"

The Mizukage sighed and began taking off his hat. He laid it down beside him and met her gaze. He was as boyish as Kisame described and yet this boy had beaten him down and gone on to do that same to that hairy Suikazan.

"Some people are more amenable to change than others, Hoshigaki-dono, you may refuse but I will simply move on to the next solution." The unspoken fact that he wouldn't forget her turning back on him was not missed. He glanced back at the demon mask then at her, "You should know I don't come empty handed in my request, I have a suitable reward in mind for everyone joining me for change."

Ahh, so I might get the good ending after all. Junko kept her burst of optimism from her face with a sip from her cup, a bit too eager and she drank the entire thing like a shot of sake, eliciting a curious but understanding look from the Mizukage— not something she expected to see as a reaction to what everyone calls a bad habit.

"What do you have in mind? A place on the council?" She said, fiercely meeting his eyes. She caught him flinch and a pleasantness warmed her— this wasn't so bad after all, he was difficult to read but had little patience for guile, a long conversation would make his stoic of authority easier to pierce.

"Not as such, no, I was thinking more of an assuredness of Kisame's inheriting the Samehada. Fuguki isn't dead yet but I can assure you Kisame will have his hands on Samehada when he takes his last. In the meantime, he'll take every available opportunity to train and master the blade."

Junko wasn't sure if he was offering a boon or threatening the one they already had. The First Mizukage's legendary blades were more than just powerful weapons, they were a status symbol, a crest that carried your name, family and clan to heights they'd previously be denied.

That's why so many died trying to pass the trials to simply join the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist as trainees in Kenjutsu. Kisame had already mastered basic Kenjutsu and earned his place among the Swordsmen, even if he was yet to master any of the other available blades, the Samehada was clearly made for him and even Fuguki seemed to think so.

Suddenly promising what Kisame was already privy to was…dubious. It felt empty, void even seeing that if she refused as Mizukage he could easily stand in Kisame's way of inheriting when the Suikazan does perish.

As great as the Hoshigaki were at monopolizing a majority of Kiri's fishing industry, having Kisame as one of the Swordsmen, even a prospective, provided a great boon to the clan's prestige and worth within the village.

Junko wished her advisors were here as she tried to mind her words, "Is that all? Kisame is already next to claim it, he can practise when he inherits."

"If." The Mizukage laid thick, "There would be trials for Samehada when and should Fuguki die. Whoever has the best affinity would be the wisest choice."

"The wisest choice is Kisame." Junko almost hissed, but at this point the Mizukage could see and hear her frustration, "What makes the Kaguya so important that you would impede what is already done?"

"This isn't just about the Kaguya, this is about change, Hoshigaki-dono and if you wish to change Kiri, truly, then you will see to my wishes and wait." Yagura said and calmly gestured over to the demon mask, "He has studied the Kaguya extensively and alongside the seals Harusame has provided, any Kaguya under your roof will be yours to groom and govern, within reason of course. You will be their warden, my trust placed in you."

Junko had enough and did away with her hesitance and fear, "Yondaime-sama, I will be blunt since you have. The Kaguya are of no value to me, as slaves or otherwise, they are no Hoshigaki and they are not legendary blades. But I am amenable, I have some conditions."

Yagura nodded, fully expectant that she would. "I know you want a place at my council, but it is not the time."

"No, no, I understand I wouldn't be your first choice even with the Hoshigaki behind me, you seek change not stagnation." Yagura smiled, a first and no an unpleasant sight, "Instead I'll ask you to take one of my own into your fold as you trust the Kaguya with me."

"As a student?" He asked, suddenly irritated.

"No, as an aide and as a shoe-in for the Seven Swordsmen when Kisame decides he's ready. He is young and has yet to master his Kenjutsu, he will be ready but all I ask is that he skip the trials."

His eyes narrowed and Junko's palms sweated waiting for his response. She was essentially asking for a free slot to stand to inherit or even claim one of the available blades. More prestige, more power.

Yagura nodded and stood almost immediately his hat touched his head, "I see, I will take your words to consideration, Hoshigaki-dono. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must attend to other matters."

Other matters? Likely the Yuki clan next. She didn't let her thoughts betray her though and quickly bowed to the young Kage as he left with his silent statues. Even without her advisors nearby, Junko had a good feeling about this.

here
Annd it's time to take a break! I'll return to normal schedules on the 8th of April but semi-normal postings will continue on bmac. It's been a great month guys, I am super productive and enthused working on this! The reactions and vibes are inspiring and welcoming. See ya in a week!

Kirigakure Cares
Owl mask…no, Reina Yuki stood alert at my desk shamelessly asking for a change to her mission parameters. I couldn't deny it was odd hearing Reina speak with the voice I've affixed to Owl.

Her dressing was another matter, she wore a slate grey vest with two scroll pouches and two pockets on the chest. It provided a measure of protection with light padding at the front and back. Her sleeves were almost baggy as were her trousers, she stuffed the excess down with wraps of bandage at her ankles and wrists.

Rather than her usual twin braids, she had a high ponytail extended by blue band. I've never seen her with makeup but I glimpsed a glint of lipstick, not to mention the purple stud earrings accentuating the appeal of her cheeks and bare neck.

Kisame stood behind her with a half-grin that told me he was not concerned what his mission was as long as it led to what his clan head promised. He was geared in a similar fashion except his height made his trousers jump at the ankle and I didn't feel weird look at him.

"You have quite the gall, Jounin Reina Yuki." I sneered, honestly taken aback by her request. I'd given her the order to follow up on her own intelligence reports and meet with the Kaguya nomads after I wrapped up the infiltrators main clutch of madmen.

There was still some clean up left to do but sensing their annihilation draw closer many of the stragglers escaped into the forests and swamps around Kiri. Hunter-nin were dispatched alongside ANBU and select teams of Jounin.

We also captured a good pair of them as some Jounin quickly realized genjutsu was the best way to deal with the Kaguya. Their physical prowess and lethal Kekkei Genkai set at bay with some of the simplest mind tricks.

"Elite Jounin, sir." She cheekily corrected and I felt assaulted, Owl wasn't one to drop even the lightest joke. She still wore a strict visage, one that matched well with my image of her but there was just the sliver of mirth and mischief caught in her eyes and the twitch of her lip.

"Funny."

"Mizukage-sama, if there are only the old, infirm and infants in these camps as the clan leader said, then there is no need to open diplomatic relations with them. The only choice they have is to answer Mizukage-sama's will and return to Kiri with us or they die, either to brigands or to the Yuki clan's blade of retribution."

It felt like she had never said so many words but I quickly realize the key difference. She's never said so many words with emotion. Everything she's said is clearly tied to her own personal feelings even though she's thinly disguising it as a professional and practical matter.

"It would be prudent not to waste resource and time negotiating their inevitable surrender and annexation, they should ask for nothing and be grateful Mizuakge-sama is so forgiving."

Scratch that, she's not being subtle at all. I narrowed my gaze at her unflinching critique, "Is that Owl or Reina Yuki speaking?"

"There is no distinction." She answered without pausing to think.

I breathed and glanced at Kisame withholding a snort. In truth, that was exactly how this is meant to be done. In a few nights Kiri has wiped out whatever force of men the Kaguya had and should they have any leftover they'd be wiped out too if they rejected my offer.

There was no leaving them alone in this situation. Either they lived with curse seals under my boot or they die under the will and bleeding wishes of Kiri's powerful clans.

"Do as I tell you, Jounin. Go, meet them and relay your conversation, their attitude and state of being back to me. Investigate if there's any reasoning to the Kaguya's attack as well, you are my liaison to whatever remains of the clan, if you're incapable of the task let me know now and I'll assign someone else."

She said nothing for a moment, her hands clasped behind her back and her lips forming a thin, frustrated line. Frankly, I don't know what she was so cross about, she's the one that failed to intercept the Kaguya, taking out your anger on a relations of a criminal you failed to catch isn't justice as much as she and Yagura want it to be.

"Understood, sir." She straightened and avoided my eyes as she said this.

"Good, dismissed. Send whoever's out there waiting on your way out." I waved the two on with their mission but Kisame was hesitant in his step, then I remembered, "Ah, Kisame, I'll let Fuguki know, you've mastered the Blade haven't you?"

"Mastered no, but I am one of the few permitted with wield it." He said, relief spreading through his shoulders.

"I'll speak with him before you leave then or actually…" I snatched a piece of paper and scribbled a little note detailing my wish for Kisame to wield the Shark Skin Blade on this mission and stamped it with the Mizukage's seal. "Here, go give him that, if he has a problem he knows his way here."

At the moment I was swamped with paperwork, especially concerning the deaths, destruction and many, many complaints from the Caste District. Usually these would go through some assistant downstairs, sorted by importance before arriving at my desk, usually with a representative from the area.

But since the security failure I asked to have first look on requests and complaints coming through from the Caste District, I couldn't trust those downstairs to be fair even in the aftermath of their failure.

Owl couldn't even truly see the error of her ways. I've got my work cut out for me changing this village.

Reina and Kisame left once I gave the note and a moment later the door swung open to the Chuunin Hoshigaki I'd gotten from the clan head, Junichi. He was soft cheeked and bright-eyed, not a trait I saw often in Kiri shinobi so I accepted him. Junichi bowed quickly and announced, "Sir, the council members have gathered and await your presence."

I nodded and waved him away. Yet another council meeting, our discussions have rolled over days with little progress and I was getting tired of being told the same thing. Today would bring another round of banter I wasn't in the mood for but I had to deal with these needless struggles or I'd have no gain.

What I was asking for was hard for anyone of them, Uncle included, to swallow and I understood that. However, I am the Mizukage and if I say the Kaguya remnants will have a place in my village then best be sure they will.

Ayyye! I have spawned in at last. Thanks for all the cheers while I was gone, good to be back. As always, super thanks to the library's supporters on bmac, carrying the vibe ^-^

In or Out
Minato felt troubled, extremely so. He hadn't felt this conflicted since he had to think of what to do with Kakashi and in the end assigned him to guard Kushina and be reminded of life's renewal. He couldn't say how effective his method was but, at least he's less prickly now.

But this was an entirely different kind of troubled, one that would dictate the future of not just Konoha but Kiri as well. He'd never thought that they'd come out of their isolationist ways in his time, much less that he'd have to deal with it.

But it's happened, like a fluke or whim of fate. Minato had vision of a connected world, where shinobi of all nations put aside their differences and worked together but he was no naïve child.

He was the Fourth Hokage and so he always shook out for a chance at peaceful coexistence all while preparing for war. Jiraiya and even the Third had counselled as such, there will always be those seeking to destroy.

Still, when he offered Kiri's representatives a chance to forge stronger bonds he couldn't say he was fully genuine. They were the village responsible for the loss of Rin, what they did to her was…what they forced his students to go through…,Minato held some hate and couldn't deny he felt relief and justified hearing that their Sandaime had passed.

He wondered if his successor was personally responsible but according to what the ANBU monitoring the Kiri representatives report, it doesn't seem like he was.

Yagura Karatachi was a fellow youthful Kage, Yondaime of his time as well and strangely, he was acceptant of Minato's empty offer at burying the hatchet and communicating better. This was what troubled Minato. He couldn't believe it truly, someone had finally accepted his hand and it was a young man leading one of the most mystifying hidden villages.

Whether to be excited or anxious, Minato wasn't sure how to feel much less what to do. He could only lean on the word of his wise predecessor.

Hiruzen sat nearby his desk and Minato waited patiently for his response. He took a drag from his pipe and blew with satisfaction, his eyes fluttered open in satisfaction and he hummed.

He adjusted his idle cloak, no longer Hokage he wore a simple red and white robes that dignified his retired position. Minato waited patiently as he took another long drag and puffed out a cloud of tobacco, he has frankly never been a fan of the stuff and he personally didn't want his office stinking of it when Kushina inevitably dropped by, but for a sliver of wisdom, he'd bear with it.

Finally, the Sandaime bothered a glance at him and smiled that knowing smile of his, "Minato-kun, tell me, what about this disturbs you the most? Is it your personal conflicts with the Mist? The shock at your offer being accepted so easily? Or is it that you don't understand the young Mizukage and fear him to be as ill willing as his predecessor? If it is none of this, tell me what it is."

At this Minato sat back, a slight frown marring his features as he pondered. He'd asked himself this as well and frankly it was a hotpot of everything the Third had just said.

A part of him felt ill dealing with the Mist after what they'd done to Kakashi and Rin. It was a new man wearing the mantle, a young one at that so there's hope that he genuinely wants to improve relations as Minato does. But the Mist is mysterious and the news he's heard about them has never been so good as it is now, it might be too good to be true, even if a new Kage led them.

At the end Minato felt himself coming back to the established feelings and thoughts about them he's had for years, an opinion that's only worsened as time passed. But this was the opportunity of a lifetime, the chance to amend this warring world by even a fraction.

Minato could see it, with their peace treaties with Suna and this coming from Kiri, together the three hidden villages could accomplish a lasting peace, one that his child would be born into.

Minato shakes his head and leaned forward, "It's the chance that this might be real opportunity and somehow, something from somewhere will make it fail to be reality. Even if that something is myself…Team Seven aren't the only ones Kirigakure has hurt. Kushina…the Uzumaki didn't deserve what happened."

At the mention of the Uzumaki the Third's smile drops a fraction. The Second Shinobi war was an arduous one with many brutalities he regretted, the Uzumaki among them.

He dragged his pipe and blew, "So, you wish this to be true then but you fear failure, you fear a trap." Minato nodded. "You also fear your own prejudices but on that I can tell you firmly, as Hokage your interests are for the village alone, your personal biases must not cloud the Will of Fire and the pursuit of the Konoha Lord First intended."

Minato inhaled deeply, "I should do it then? I should accept this…beginning of an alliance?"

The Third chuckled, "Do not be so hasty, an alliance may not come of this at all, the Mist is a very private and solitary village. They do not like to rely on others. However, if this Fourth Mizukage is honest then it would be wise to pursue, even if it only leads to smoother communications, it is a step forward, more than any Hokage since the Shodaime-sama has taken with respect to them."

Minato smiled, appreciative of the Third's high praise, "Thank you for your counsel, Sandaime-sama, if you'd like I'll keep you updated on this."

The Third nodded graciously, "Of course, but keep it minimal, I'm trying to make the best of my retirement. Bwhahaha!"

They shared a more words in lighter subjects, Minato asked after Biwako and Asuma and the Third shared his plight as a father returning to a home that's long since learned how to function without his direct input. He blessed Minato with some parenting advise but quickly noted his drifting mind and made himself scarce, wishing him goodluck with all endeavours.

Despite the conversation, Minato felt himself grow anxious still. He knew what he was going to do but felt at the very least he ought to talk to Kushina first before giving Kiri's representatives any orders or even thinking of a group to send to the Mist as liaisons for what will be the start of a tense relationship.

He had the urge to speak to Kakashi as well but felt it pointless to drag up awful memories when he was intentionally trying to distract the boy from it and allow him to begin healing.

Paranoia and anxiety made him consider sending out ANBU ahead to infiltrate and report on who Yagura Karatachi was as a Kage. As a shinobi he already has a number of credits and battlefield legends to his name, but as a person, as a leader…everything was vague.

Minato stared at the heap of work in front of him and could only see it double as soon as these processes went into play. He sighed and picked up his pen to work.

Ayye! Good day! I've got new chaps up on bmac for curious folk and I have fully returned. There's been more discussion around Jagura and his actions or inactions and as tempted as I am to respond, a lot of my response will take away from the story seeing as I've written chapters touching said concerns. Unfortunately, we can only wait for the chapters to come out in their time so that things make sense. Anyway, glad to be back posting and reading your thoughts ^-^
If you wish to support myself and the library, as well as read ahead click here

Aftermath
"Thank you. Blessing be onto you for saving us." The man bowed as he thanked me profusely.

I hadn't done anything to save his family personally, not really, so I simply offered his injured wife who'd been late from work that fateful day a smile and him a pat on his bowed shoulder as left their room.

Two doctors hovered around me and Ao despite the spirit of haste that subsumed the hospital. I didn't mind, they made themselves available should I have any questions, demands or wish to address my bandaged foot. Besides, they promised most of the cases coming into the hospital aren't emergency cases like it was that day and just about everyone has gotten a moment with a professional.

I was glad to hear that. The official report on our losses should have been on my table but I frankly haven't sat in office for some days now. Just about every time I get the chance to work in the Mizukage Tower, said work includes assigning missions I remembered were time sensitive or attending council meetings.

But as far as I've seen and as far as the doctors shadowing us have told me, only about twelve Chuunin and three Jounin died in the Kaguya Extermination. A lot more were left injured however and that affects Kiri's manpower and morale by a significant amount.

If I hadn't destroyed them all then and there… Well, the worst that could have happened is that more Kiri shinobi would've been lost to them since, again, the ANBU prioritized surrounding me than fishing out the enemies running loose. Something I have to work on correcting once I find the time.

The Kaguya on the other hand were, well, exterminated. As per my orders the Jounin teams that could manage it captured rather than executed and there were quite a few of those teams because I now had thirteen more imprisoned Kaguya.

I told Eiko I only needed one and so he'd have twelve to satisfy his many curiousities about the Kaguya and their Bloodline Abilities. I intended to visit my prisoner in time and interrogate them on what I can expect of his clan, except the obvious Bone murder and pillaging, of course, but first, I thought I had a duty to show face to those injured in line of carrying out my orders.

Most of them were Chuunin and Jounin that responded to the call early and quickly found themselves opposite a Kaguya with little information on their Kekkei Genkai. Another large set were the civilians that were caught in the middle of fleeing into their homes, the ones that served hostage to the Kaguya invading their homes and others who fell into collateral damage as Kiri shinobi meted out justice to the Kaguya.

Of the surviving civilians Kiri had a responsibility to take care of their health expenses as well as provide temporary housing for those that had no home to return to, which was a fair amount. As Mizukage, approving housing and continued health care was one of the things that awaited me when I resumed working at the Tower.

Ao and I strolled through the hospital, the doctors showing us the rooms with shinobi in recovery. I'd peek in, thank the men, women or boys and girls lying in recovery and they'd thank me for their presence. Several of them suffered stab wounds and cuts with only a few suffering heavy trauma in the form of severed fingers or broken bones.

I let them heal as I got the feeling they weren't too comfortable having the Mizukage look upon them in their weakest and pathetic states, whereas the truth couldn't be further from it. I made sure to let them know I am grateful for the service before moving on.

The next room Ao and I are shepherd to has a familiar face, one I wasn't expecting to see. She wasn't expecting to see me either by her reaction. Her eyes went wide and her mouth fell open as she stuttered, "Mizukage-sama…"

Rina wore a simple polka dot hospital nightwear and was taking in fluids from a drip stand. She held onto the metal bar of the stand to pull herself from bed but I was already pushing her shoulders so she lays down.

"Rina…" I wasn't sure what to say here. Many of the shinobi I visited today weren't any I knew personally, I wore the face of the Mizukage and paid them the respect and honour they were due for serving their village. But I was stiff, informal and quite distant, Rina and I weren't much closer but there were more threads tying us than some random Kiri shinobi.

Since I couldn't find the right words, Ao took care of it for me and demanded information from the doctors still shadowing us, "How is she? How did she end up here and when will she recover?"

The doctors straightened up, caught off guard since we hadn't bothered speaking to them since but quickly recited the state of her well-being from a chart at the end of her bed.

"She suffered multiple stab wounds to her back and legs, we've already seen that the pressing wounds have been sealed and ensured the internal bleeding stopped. She should recover fully in a week to three with consistent care." The doctor replied, looking relieved that there was little left to do with her, "She lost a lot of blood though so we're trying to replace some of that fluid before setting her back on solids."

I nodded and turned back to Rina who had a turned away from me to hide the very visible blush on her cheeks. I smiled and held her hand, "Thank you, Rina, for protecting Kirigakure."

Still hesitant to look me in the eye she nodded and turned enough I'm sure she could make me out in her periphery, "It was my honour, Mizukage-sama…but I should have done more."

Whether that was the reason she avoided looking me in the eye or something else, I didn't want our interaction to end there, too formal and stiff. So I thought and decided, "When you're healed up, pay me a visit and we'll train in a topic of your choosing."

That caught her interest because her head snapped all the way to awe up at me, "Really? Any topic? Even Ninjutsu?"

I smiled and patted her hand as I got up to leave, "Any."

She grinned, "I will."

Ao and I left afterwards, I felt glad and satisfied to see Rina that I figured it was about time the doctors herded me to the second reason I visited the hospital. The Yuki Clan head ran the place and according to rumours as well as Yagura's memory, he was the most compassionate of all five main clan heads.

I just hoped he had some compassion for the clan responsible for many of the injured shinobi resting in his hospital, I needed a place to host the Kaguya clan remnants and so far, I was running out of clan heads to ask.

Last edited:
Hospitality
Hidaki Yuki was clearly older than Uncle but not as much as Lady Megumi or even Lord Funato. He fell in that anxious spot where old age begun to creep in his bones but not enough to hinder him so much that he'll have to make consideration for it.

He had a charming smile and bowed like a man thrice younger than him. He was tall and did well to retain his physique as an active shinobi— that said, his activities these days were relegated to managing the hospitals and clinics under his clan's charge rather than active missions.

His office was spacious in truth but was cluttered with shelves stacked to the brim with documents and boxes of tools I couldn't recognize or understand, I supposed they were medical Ninjustsu instruments and kept them out of mind as he apologized for the mess.

"It's quite alright, Yuki-dono, I understand more than you know." I waved his concerns and he sheepishly offered Ao and I a place to sit. Ao remained standing.

"So, what do I owe this honour? Aside from the attacks of course." He had a dark sense of humour. He sat at his desk with fingers criss-crossing over each other rather anxiously and I felt Yagura whisper that he already knew why I was here.

But of course, it's not like I was hiding my intentions, though I suppose word getting out through the grapevine that I was searching for a place for the soon to be subjugated Kaguya to reside while I instruct a proper compound built would give him ample time to mull over his desires.

At the same time, I've had more than enough time to research and background each of the five clans for the most suited to the task of policing an entire other clan. The Yuki clan was not the best suited for such a task but given what the Hoshigaki are demanding, well, I'd better find out what he wants from the Mizukage.

"I'll be straightforward since we're both busy men. I want the Yuki clan to host the Kaguya remnants, no, not the ones imprisoned from the attack, the old, infantile and civilian left behind are the ones I wish to host." I said plainly and watched his body from a reaction.

His criss-crossing fingers halted and his eye twitched a bit but nothing too significant. He sat back and thought, "Hmm…you are right to come to us for such, Mizukage-sama, we have ample room in our compound and frankly, we wouldn't mind the company."

This was true. I liked he was being honest as well. The Yuki clan has suffered the most out of the five. Their people were culled during the past Daimyo's war against Kekkei Genkai, a war Kirigakure was a part of only on paper because the Mizukage refused to martial against the Daimyo or go fight a rather hypocritical war against Kekkei Genkai users.

Still, the Yuki would not see their people massacred and they went out to battle regardless of the Mizukage's opinion and so, they die saving what few of the prosecuted they could. As far as Yagura knows, it is the Yuki that are responsible for saving the likes of the Terumi, the cost was great however and even now they suffer for it as the Third Shinobi war went on to half their numbers.

He leaned forward and sucked a breath, "Let me ask…is this an order from the Mizukage or a request?"

Uncle has done well to let me know that there are some toes I should be hesitant to step on, even as Mizukage, and it seemed this was one of those situations where I had the choice to flex that power for all it's worth and get what I want or…be diplomatic.

"A humble request, you are not my first or only option." I said, subtly letting him know I could easily figure something out if he spat out some insane demand.

He nodded and nodded, blinked and said, "Since you've been so transparent, allow me to do the same, Mizukage-sama." I listened closely. "My clan has the space and in fact, if it's possible we wouldn't mind engaging some of these Kaguya civilians in marriage, the Yuki clan needs to bolster our numbers after all."

His stress on the last part is where I keep note. "That's gracious of you, considering…"

"Yes, considering they're murderers and pillagers like the Hoshigaki, hahahaha. I understand the implications of allowing Yuki blood stain with such low landed clans. However, this is a clan that has the attention and compassion of the Mizukage himself, surely there's something special there, something worthwhile."

He allowed himself a devious smirk as my eyes narrowed, "Still, the stain remains and the Yuki, while in need of a population boost, will not risk our reputation on a clan that ought to be in the Caste District. So, we'll need some incentive."

I breathed and waited silently for him to give his demand.

"Yagura-sama, we want you to lead by example, to show all of Kiri that the Yuki has not lost its prestige to the waning days. That we are worth as much as any other of the five clans."

Impatient, I asked, "You want to be on my council?"

He snorted, "No, I mean…yes, but not for this favour, no. By right we ought to be there anyway but I digress. What I want from you is a child, Yagura-sama."

"A child?"

"Yes, we asked your Uncle for a match with you and our scion years ago but he refused. We asked the Hozuki, Funato and even the damned Hoshigaki and they all refused to set a match with us, one of the five clans!" He took a breath and calmed himself, "I'm sorry for the outburst but…realizing that the village your clan has served for decades would see you die out without raising a finger to do a thing is…infuriating. So yes, I want a child."

His eyes were steely suddenly, nothing like the charm and grace that greeted me earlier, no. I understood where he was coming from though and I knew his demand wouldn't be one I could try to bargain away with something else, I didn't have much to give to begin with, at least, not anything they'd actually want.

"I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that." I said, thinking about how I'd just left Rina, the girl the Hozuki keep throwing onto me. Uncle said a marriage with the Hozuki or Funato would be ideal but nothing about the Yuki. I could see why though, they hadn't the numbers to support me in a case of civil war or an attempted coup and so a marriage alliance with them meant I'd be giving more than I'd receive.

I wasn't intending to fall victim to a coup but with Kirigakure you never know. Plus, accepting a marriage alliance from them might scorn Lady Megumi and Lord Funato as both Hozuki and Funato blood ran through Rina's veins. She's truly a golden egg and yet…

"Don't worry, I am well aware of the Hozuki's intentions for their heir. Oh! Pardon me, Lord Yagura, I should have offered you some tea while we discussed."

I scowled at this, "Enough, I haven't accepted any proposals or given any. I'm not of the mind to wed or rear children."

At this his eyes go wide, "Oh no, you mistake me, Lord Mizukage, we understand well that a marriage alliance with you would require much from our side, more than we could possibly offer at the moment. So all I am asking here is that you have a child with our scion and acknowledge it as yours…to be direct, let that child who we will raise, be the reason you favour the Yuki clan."

My mouth hung ajar for a moment as I blinked at his brazenness, I'd need to talk to my Uncle about this as it was…quite unusual, but first, "And who do you have in mind to be the mother? Who is this scion of yours?"

Hidaki Yuki wore a pleasant, well-meaning smile as he sat back and said, "Why, the very Reina Yuki you've sent to the Kaguya of course."

Well that's a bone in the ice.

Would a child be worth adding the Kaguya to their clan, especially just a "Bastard" child?

I'm intrigued by the implications. Perhaps a play at the future jinchurilki?

Consequences of Power
I sat in the serene environs of Turtle Island's temple. One hand held an ink wet brush and the other held back my sleeve as I drew binding seals on the large sheet of paper Harusame provided me.

I've been Mizukage for about a month now…three months since I woke up in this world. Turtle Island has become the only place where I can have a day of peace without worrying about someone looking for me.

If there was someone searching for me, my location was known to few trusted ANBU. Asides from needing the required authority and clearance to question an ANBU about the Mizukage, getting all the way over to Turtle Island would be a challenge in its own.

This way I know whoever interrupts this soft tranquil of mine would do so only if it's absolutely needed.

I took a breath and leaned away from the paper to give my curved back a break. Harusame hovered behind me, his eyes judging the worth of my work as he stroked his chin. He sat down and pointed at points on the signs I was drawing.

"This one is too long, this too short and this doesn't look at all like the symbol meant to be there. An amalgamation of nonsense will give you nonsense, Yagura-sama."

He snatched the sheet away, crumpled it and set it ablaze in his hand before providing another one from his stack. "Be generous with your strokes and consisted with how wet your brush is."

I refrained from rolling my eyes at his words, I'd seen him use his fingers to draw a perfectly functional seal in seconds, I knew I'd need more than consistency to get a hang of [Fuuinjutsu].

He watched me intently as I stared at the blank page, filling it with the maelstrom of thoughts, ideas and wishes. He cleared his throat seeing I haven't made a move to start drawing again and sat beside me, "Perhaps we continue with Tailed Beast taming?"

I looked up at him and sighed. I'd asked Harusame to prepare to loosen my seal almost entirely so I could press Yagura with the threat of Isobu's release. Yagura wouldn't allow Isobu to run loose through the Land of Water, plus, if he did get loose that would mean the end for both of us…or I guess just me.

I was fully prepared to go ahead with this plan because as I saw it, I'd have the best opportunity to talk to Isobu in that situation, Yagura couldn't deny that as much as he wants. But the events of the past weeks have been…tiresome to say the least and I'm not comfortable leaving things unsettled to force a conversation with Isobu.

Reina sent her first report yesterday and even as I read her description of the small hut and mud-housed community the Kaguya left behind, I couldn't help but wonder if she had any inkling what her clan head planned for her. It mattered a lot if she did, it meant she was willing to leave her position as ANBU commander to be…pregnant with Yagura's child.

I shuddered at the thought and quickly set it out of mind as I raised a faux smile to Harusame, "No, no, I need peace to think about things right now. I will let you know when we can begin Tailed Beast taming again." I picked up my brush and held back my sleeve, "This is far more urgent."

The day I exterminated the Kaguya at those docks I'd simply intended to temporarily seal away the chakra of whichever of them had the sense to surrender. Unfortunately, none of them did but my plans for sealing away their chakra remains.

I'd given thought to the Kaguya since I first met Eiko and read his report on their ability. It was one thing to remember its capabilities from what young Kimimaro expressed in the show but it was another thing entirely to have it broken down by a professional.

The Kaguya were dangerous folk. While I doubt Kimimaro has even been conceived at this time, the threat the clan posed to the Hidden Mist and the Land of Water could not be denied. And so while everyone figured the best thing to do with such a people was to exterminate them, I asked Harusame to help me seal away their Tenketsu.

It was my responsibility as Mizukage to not only protect the Hidden Mist but also the Land of Water, but Jason could only tolerate one necessary extermination. It is similar to what the Hyuuga clan do when they fight but Harusame assures me it will last years if maintained properly.

By sealing the Tenketsu of both young and old Kaguya coming to Kiri in this way, I'd ensure that none of them were capable of wielding their Kekkei Genkai against us, at least not until the second generation were born.

I was thinking far ahead because I could afford to do so. It was one of the few things that brought me to smile nowadays, thinking of how much time I have to plan and how much I can set in motion.

The second generation growing within a Kiri I rule over would ensure that the Kaguya's dangerous bloodline is separated from the warlike mentality their exterminated ancestors had. I'd create capable shinobi, ready and willing to serve Kirigakure.

I just need to find a place for them to live now. Uncle said it was out of the question, he shut me down before I even had a chance to start convincing him of the advantages. But he had a good reason to reject them though. The Karatachi didn't have a Kekkei Genkai and the environs to attend to the needs of those with Kekkei Genkai, whether sealed or not was not the same.

I hadn't bothered asking Lord Funato, I could already see the rejection written all over his face. I knew if I asked Lady Megumi she'd demand I get dressed and wed her granddaughter that instant. I had nothing against her or Rina, in fact, I found Rina to be an attractive young woman with her head in the right place.

But marriage, sex, children, family. These things invoked stark reminders that I am not Yagura. Even though my being here was unintentional, I can't bring myself to make decisions on that part of Yagura's life, the parts that were unknown, the parts hidden without an answer.

And I also didn't feel comfortable using women that way. Yagura would scold me for clinging onto my modern sensibilities but it's those sensibilities I believe will change this nation.

"That's…an improvement." Harusame said, tilting his head side to side as he examined my latest attempt at the binding seal. While I wouldn't be the one to place it on the Kaguya, I understood the dangers of using powers I didn't fully understand, besides, [Fuuinjutsu] was an intrigue facet of Ninjutsu to study.

I set my brush down and threw my back against the grass, sighing at a frog leaping off one water lily to another. My first month as Mizukage was coming to a close and there was more work to do than when I started.

Should I fully accept the Hoshigaki offer?

Late chappie today. Long day, poor power, entire thing. Hope you enjoyed.

Well that's a bone in the ice.

Would a child be worth adding the Kaguya to their clan, especially just a "Bastard" child?

I'm intrigued by the implications. Perhaps a play at the future jinchurilki?
Oouuhh, that's an interesting thought, time will reveal. Super excited to have you😊
I like the world building (or village building, rather) in this. Interested to see more
Ayye! Exact vibes I'm going for. Must be doing something right to have ya, glad you're here! 😄

Uncle's Wisdom
"Nephew, you are softer than I thought." Uncle Aoto teethed out as his fingers drew back a taut bowstring. He breathed, his muscles tensed even through austere blue robes. His narrowed sights sharpen and the arrow sets loose, zipping at the wave fraught target bobbing along the small lake.

His arrow exploded through its target, splintering a buffet of caught bait and showering the waters with quartz stones. He lowered his aim and turned to me as I raised mine, narrowed my eyes and took a breath.

Archery was something of a past time for Uncle Aoto and Yagura, it started as something of a joke as Yagura returned from a mission excited about his opponent's skill with the bow and how it was more cost effective to loose wooden staves rather than precious metal kunai and shuriken.

He decided to learn it on the spot and who else to teach him than his most-knowing mentor and Uncle? Except, Aoto had never bothered with traditional weapons, he was a shinobi, his entire body was a weapon. So they took it up together and have been practicing whenever the urge struck.

Exhaling, I released the arrow and it soared toward my own water turbulent target. The arrow pierced through its mark, digging in deep and nearly passing through the other side but it didn't shatter the quartz like Uncle's did.

I narrowed my sights on the block of quartz housing the fish bait and after a moment the stone split in two and released its contents. "There, just needed some time." I set my bow aside and turned to Uncle, expectant, "What do you mean?"

Uncle walked back into the large tree and its canopy, setting his back against it as we waited for the servers to set new targets.

He sighed and let his bow drop as he motioned for me to come closer, I did and in a hushed voice he said, "You are beginning your reign quite mercifully. I understand Lord Funato and Lady Megumi will be harder to coerce to your will and you really shouldn't try to break them either, but the others?

He hummed and stroked his chin, "You have to be careful who you decide to take from and yes, you will be taking, it won't be a negotiation. But you should also know the full scope of your options. Ask yourself, what are you doing?"

I gave it thought for a moment and ignored the proud look Uncle was trying to hide. He's been that way for a month, well, it's gotten better now since he's learned to restrain himself from sudden gleeful outbursts.

"I am…saving a clan from extinction, saving their Bloodline and giving them a place in Kiri where they can be useful." I said finally.

Uncle Aoto nodded along but then asked, "And what else?"

I blinked and he snorted.

"Are you so busy you don't consider what you will be doing to Kirigakure as well?" I wanted to raise a defence but I wisely kept shut and let him speak, "You are going around asking these clan heads to give up a part of what has been theirs for decades and for whom? A clan responsible for many deaths in Kiri. Even if you set aside their crimes they are still outsiders, an unknown to Kiri, these lands do not have as many memories of friendship and coexistence as it does war.

"You are right in your vision, bringing in clans with Kekkei Genkai will strengthen Kirigakure's against the other four but given your plans for sealing away their tenketsu to appease whoever is so unlucky to house them, well, I only see it paying off decades in the future. But in the present, you will have a mess to clean up."

Uncle was right, of course. I had considered the effects bringing the Kaguya would have on the village but only to the clans that would be sharing space with them most of the time.

And perhaps the ratio of reward to trouble was a bit skewed in favour of trouble. Jason's ambitions to revamp Kiri from what I remember to what it could be may have been a bit hasty.

"You have to lay the groundwork, Yondaime-sama." Uncle said my title with elation only he could express. "To do so, you have to know what your options are so you can pick the best one and let me tell you now, you have far better options than giving into the Hoshigaki or having a bastard with the Yuki."

I do?

Uncle seemed to have caught the surprise on my otherwise stoic face and his grin grew as he picked up his bow and nocked an arrow, "Of course, but I'm sure Lord Funato wouldn't have explained this all to you, it can't be helped, no one expected one of your first acts to be so…radical."

The arrow flung at the quartz bobbing along the water and like his last shot, exploded through and showered the surrounding in bait and stone. I took that as the sign to take my turn and nocked my bow, though my thoughts were far away from it.

I breathed and let the arrow loose as quick as I could to continue the conversation and this time it burrowed right through the quartz, letting nothing in its path hinder it and leaving the round quartz to fall over into the water. I didn't care. "What are these options?"

He smirked at me, "Why, you could ask permission of the Daimyo to expand Kirigakure's territories and carve out an entire estate compound for your Kaguya. But I doubt he'll be in a generous mood, you'd have to bargain for such and if I were in your shoes I'd bargain with the Daimyo for something else.

"You could also downsize the civilian districts, commercial and residential. It wouldn't take much to fit in a new clan compound but you'd be driving out the people that suffered the attack to make a home for their attackers. Mad I say.

"Believe it or not, you could go ahead and expand Kiri anyway, your predecessors often did. The Daimyo is not such a powerful man any longer, war takes its toll and he knows without Kirigakure protecting him…well, that's a discussion for another day."

I really wanted to hear more about that but I kept my mouth shut and my ears open instead, "Any other options?"

He nodded and drew closer, "Two. The Mizukage's Estate still exists, the Funato clan is in possession of it but truly it belongs to the Mizukage. I don't know how many you're bringing in but the First Mizukage built that place when there was an abundance of space. Just clean it up a bit and build some homes around it for your Kaguya."

I knew of the Mizukage's Estate, it's one of the things Lord Funato was transparent about during my first week as Mizukage. He offered to get it ready for me to move in and warned that only the First and Second had stayed there, and the Second didn't stay long because he felt it too big.

I'd rejected as well without even looking at the property because I felt anything bigger than Yagura's apartment was overkill. I moved into the Mizukage Tower instead, a medium sized room and parlour with a very necessary balcony and instant proximity to the work I'd been so passionate to start at the time.

Still, why didn't I think of that? I huffed and nodded gratefully, "That seems like the easiest thing to do now but…what's the last option?"

Uncle cackled boisterously until a sinister undertone over took it as he asked, "You want to know?"

"Now I really do."

He grinned, "Well, you could kill two birds with one stone by cleaning up the Daimyo's unsavoury political affairs. End his civil wars, eliminate the independent islands and seize the territory for Kiri, he'd be so grateful he won't even realize you're accruing more land and respect that he. Hmm, perhaps it's three birds and not two."

The last option was one Kiri was most familiar with, war. And as much as Jason wanted to avoid conflict and meaningless violence, it was the truth of this world, the truth of the Land of Water.

I'll just have to change that truth; my hands are already bloodied anyway.

See ya next tomorrow!

Back