Reborn in the Mist [Naruto SI]
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Jason knew how he'd die next, how could he not? He saw Kirigakure for what it was and knew Obito and Madara did as well. But now he's both Jinchuriki and Kage-candidate, a fortune of fate he cannot refuse even if he wanted to. It's too late to ask god for a refund on reincarnation. He has little choice but to buckle up and wear the personality of Yagura Karatachi to the best of his muddled memories and save himself and Kirigakure from Obito.
Yagura Karatachi, Reporting for Duty

Tim_Saian

Fledgling Author
Pronouns
Superman
The gentle sea breeze from my balcony helped blow the green tea cold. I took a sip and fought back the cringe as I swallowed. Harusame's Jinchuriki herbal remedy was the most bitter thing I have tasted in a month, but only for a second. It settled in my stomach and a nigh orgasmic wave of relief spread through my gut and soothes down my thigh to my punished knees.

It's the only thing that can give me a break handling Isobu's chakra clashing with mine. A long month now since that day and it should have subsided to my will by now, according to Harusame anyway.

I see the concerned looks he passes at me each time we have a training session and against my better self— Me. I. Myself. Jason— I demanded he spit out his thoughts or else…well, better not say.

Regardless, he's worried about the seal and rightfully so. A freshly formed Isobu in a new seal, weaker than the one Konoha's Habenero has holding the Nine-Tails and its Jinchuriki— Me, Myself, I. Jason— has only been manipulating chakra for all of thirty days.

Good thing he doesn't know that. From what I can feel, the maelstrom of Isobu's chakra in me isn't even from a direct attempt at breaking free of its host. The Three-Tails chakra is simply that abundant and powerful that it strains my feeble attempts at replicating Yagura's perfect chakra control.

As it turns out, manipulating a source of natural, spiritual energy isn't intuitive. I barely manage to get a night's rest with Harusame's remedy and every non-resting second is spent reacquainting myself with Yagura's Karatachi's vast knowledge of Ninjustu, Taijutsu, Bojutsu and to an extent, Fuuinjutsu.

My suffering makes me sympathize very much with Gaara. I took another sip of tea and set my thoughts to the future Kazekage. Actually, would he be the future Kazekage? With what I plan for this timeline now that I've been dragged in it, I'd like to keep Rasa alive and foil Orochimaru's plans.

Cupping my mug, I sighed and sunk further into my cushioned chair. The Hidden Mist village was draining the life out of me already with Isobu, not only that it was a pretty cold and unfriendly place to live in without being a Jinchuriki but I thought I could do something to help the screw the bad guys without dying myself.

Although, since that cheesy god put me in Yagura doing anything without Madara or Obito involved is going to be tough. It might just be a month in but I'm weak enough to know that I couldn't fight either of them if it comes down to it.

I should have some time though. I'll prepare and get even stronger.

It took me all of a day to confirm that Copy Ninja Kakashi had indeed foiled the Mist's plans to destroy Konoha with Isobu. With this I know I have a good sixteen years before things really get screwed and the Fourth Great War starts.

A war Yagura doesn't live to see…

A squawking messenger raven distracts me from ominous thoughts, it flutters down to me, losing onyx black feathers as it lands on my extended arm. I retrieved the scroll from the bottle on its feet and unfurl it to read letters scribbled only moments ago judging by its smear, glisten and smell.

I never knew it was possible to know that much about a message in a bottle but for Yagura it is. His personality and experience regularly slip and fuse with my own and sometimes his memories as well. It's another reason Isobu hasn't broken free to rampage— Yagura prepared to become a Jinchuriki, I didn't.

"Gear up and submit to Mizukage tower's rooftops." I read aloud and flipped the paper around to confirm the wax seal is indeed that belonging to the Mizukage.

Except if it were the Mizukage then why is he referring to his tower so formally? It can't be how things are done in Kiri, having lived here a month in a precarious condition that more than often had the Mizukage summoning me, I would know.

Or would I? At this point I'm not sure how much of me is me and how much is Yagura, though both find it evident enough that the scribbles were written in haste but then delivered by raven…why? If the message contents are truly urgent then a shinobi would have been sent with it, far faster even for communication within the village.

I shook my head free of complicating thoughts and simply got on my feet. The part of me that is Yagura finds just about everything about the Mizukage suspicious and I couldn't find it in my heart to say its unwarranted. The Sandaime was being controlled by Madara after all and soon Yagura will meet the same fate.

A part of me wanted to skip this entire battle of wits and vacation in the Land of Hot Springs where I won't be found for years. But Madara's Akatsuki will never stop hunting Jinchuriki and Kiri is known for their Hunter-nin squads, I doubt I would last long on the run.

Besides, I needed to become Mizukage as well if any of my 'beat up the bad guys' plans are to work. I could try some out as a rogue nin but being the Kage of one of the great five nations added a legitimacy little else could provide. It also added an army.

I found my closet and quickly went from shirtless to sleeveless. Yagura's favourite colours; grey and green filled the compartment though only three of his grey shirts had a headband sewn into them. The remnants of Yagura within me identifies them, alongside his poncho, sleeveless armour mesh and the near six-foot club with a green flower neatly decorating the larger of uneven hooks as his main gear even though through his memories and wardrobe I know he's been fitted in ANBU and classic Kiri nin gear before.

It's a short process dressing up in Yagura's green-grey attire and the material is light, with only the short mesh armour and excessively long club weighing me down and even then I find his body, now mine, is more than strong enough to bear it and more.

I spared a glance at myself—Yagura now no longer Jason— in the mirror. A stern, baby face stares back at me wordlessly and I idly move my mouth open, testing once again if this is truly reality.

It is.

"Yagura Karatachi, reporting for duty." I said, my voice slightly deeper than I'd expect of such a young face but of course, Yagura only looked young in my memories of him. Standing before me was him at the ripe age of eighteen and the Third Great Ninja war had just ended.

My façade of confidence drops at the thought of the long fifteen to sixteen years to come but I manage a smile as I reassure myself and start heading out the balcony, "Goodluck Jason, you're going to need it."

The ninja run used to be a cringe worthy move kids would pull out during recess as they threw meaningless hand signs and paper shuriken at each other.

For me it's a legitimate challenge I am hoping no one picks up on. Guiding chakra from my feet to propel me through distances with quick releases of said chakra is an exhilarating and dangerous exercise in chakra control, one I've barely remastered since waking up in Yagura's body.

His chakra, now mine, is like water and to be honest a little hard to put down in one place. Releasing it in a burst though is easy but a bit difficult to stop once I've got started, it's like sticking a thumb over a pressure hose and trying to fire bullets of water with it.

Still, I managed well enough to leap across Kiri's cylindrical buildings and avoid falling into the many greeneries and gardens growing at their sides and rooftops. I prided myself in my manoeuvrability as well, reacting to changes in the ever present mist soaking the village as Yagura's memories fill in the blanks about monuments like the Ninja Academy, hospital and the Mizukage's tower I was headed towards.

Like majority of buildings in the village, the Mizukage's tower had a wide cylindrical form that sprouted alongside several other subsidiary structures around it. Yagura considers the arch under it and the tall reaching stairs a part of the monument and so I did too.

Landing on one of them I have a closer look at the Mizukage's tower, specifically the rooftops I've been summoned to. I have to pause and stare because the amount of chakra oozing off the gathered is overwhelming.

While I might be nigh useless at this chakra-ninjutsu lifestyle I've begun living, Yagura's body still belongs to a Kage-level jounin capable of great sensory feats. Sensing the intimidating excess of chakra gathered on the Mizukage's rooftops is child's play for what remains of his subconscious, what isn't is identifying who is part of said gathering.

But I don't bother trying to decipher who before leaping up to join, none of the chakra signatures read as hostile or unfamiliar and there really wasn't any need to.

"Jinchuriki, must we wait for you every time?" Fuguki said as I land in a crouch. As usual he carries Samehada, the Shark Skin Blade at his back and his orange hair flairs slightly with soaked mana— presumably readying a jutsu like the rest of the Kiri shinobi present.

To the left of Fuguki stood Raiga in full ANBU gear and mask, how I knew it was Raiga I'm not entirely sure but the twin Kiba Blades sheathed at his waists all but confirm it. He isn't exuding that much chakra compared to Fuguki or even Juzo beside him though if he is it's completely overshadowed by the chakra battery that is Kisame.

The true wielder of Samehada…except he's so young.

The Seven Swordsmen of the Mist or at least what's left of them since the Third war has few familiar faces. I only remember the huge brute Fuguki because Kisame killed him to acquire the Samehada. Juzo I recall clearly because at some point in the main timeline, Yagura kills him for deserting the village. Raiga honestly felt like a nobody, even the way his chakra signature is buried underneath the beasts of shinobi around him made his presence rather underwhelming.

"Have some respect, Fuguki. Yagura stands far more accomplished than any of your swordsmen now." Ao warned, his right eye still bandaged from receiving a byakugan, though I wondered if the bandage does anything to prevent him seeing all.

Probably…it's not activated is it? Doesn't seem so.

Beside Ao is none other than Mei Terumi herself and like Kisame she's strikingly young and garbed in standard Kirigakure gear with two ninja tool packs at her side. Her auburn hair doesn't flow as long but even at shoulder length it's spiky as ever, like a prelude to her boiling chakra natures and beautiful—

"Yagura-senpai." She waved, catching me off guard with the greeting. I waved back and rose to my feet. She had to be about sixteen years old at this point in the timeline and she looked it. Young, inexperienced and lacking the confidence of the Godaime Mizukage she would come to be— or maybe not given I have other plans.

"Good, everyone's here now." Harusame marched in with an old, hunched over man with a thin white beard and walking stick.

I recognized the old man instantly as the Funato clan head and descendant of the First Mizukage. He wore a slight smile and squinted at all present as he takes place at the centre.

"Yagura, Mei, Ao, Swordsmen of the Mist." He began speaking, his voice coarse and aged but held the might of the founding clan behind every word, "I have gathered you all here to follow the will of the third Mizukage."

"The will of the Third?" I couldn't help but ask the question on everyone's mind.

The old man peeled one eye fully open and glanced up at me, "The Third Mizukage's will for his successor. He has passed."

Sandaime's Mizukage's Will
I felt it was too soon for the Sandaime Mizukage to die. Too soon for me, for Yagura to step in and fill the seat as the fourth Mizukage. Yagura's appointment is keenly tied into my timeline of events I need to push forward or avoid— the five Kage summit happens to be my cold bullet to Madara and Obito's plans for this world, as Mizukage I could easily request one be arranged and with reasonable Kage like Minato and to a lesser extent A the fourth Raikage.

Though now that I think about it, calling a summit so soon after the war might not sit well even with Konoha, especially when the request is coming from the village that tried to destroy them with their tailed beast. Hell, I might as well not count on Minato being reasonable at all since it was his student we- I mean Kiri used to mount that attack.

What would I even tell him? Your lost student plans to take over the world with Madara Uchiha?

Yeah, no, this is going to be harder than I thought. I'm going to need time to ease into blowing the lid off this Infinite Tsukuyomi plot and I'm going to need more than Kirigakure behind me to do so.

"How did it happen? Where is the body?" Fuguki immediately demanded after a shared moment of silence.

The old Funato clan head shakily stepped forward with his cane and spoke, "The Mizukage died unexpectedly but has left instructions for the choosing of his successor."

Harusame, my Jinchuriki training master and the person I've spent the most time with since waking stood behind the old man wearing a grim look. He inhaled deeply before revealing a scroll from his sleeve but before he can unfurl it—

"You haven't answered the question, old man." Fuguki brandished Samehada at the clan head, the bandages at its tip unfurl and an unmistakeable row of teeth shudder with excitement.

"Fuguki! What do you think you're doing right now?" Ao stepped forward enraged at the swordsman's audacity.

Behind him Mei's youthful visage contorts with concern and I feel like I can read her mind. Despite having other priorities— staying alive long enough to see Obito defeated— Yagura's lingering subconscious causes me to feel grief at the Mizukage's loss as well. Bloody his reign might have been but he was still the Mizukage and a close ally to Yagura and many gathered here it seems.

"What does it look like? Answers, now!"

Harusame cautiously pushes Samehada away from the old, unbothered looking clan head with a kunai and shakes his head, "This is no time for in-fighting, both of you, calm yourselves and listen."

Fuguki and Ao exchange tense glares. Juzo, Raiga and Kisame who've fallen beside their teammate with their legendary swords and a katana drawn share uneasy glances as well, all ready to fight or submit according to what Fuguki does. Fortunately, he chooses peace, for now, and sets Samehada to his back.

He grins a shark's grin at Ao, "All ears."

The old clan head strikes his cane, "Sandaime-sama was found dead in his seat this afternoon by his secretary. She is being interrogated at the moment and the office has been swept for any trace of malice, thus far none has been found."

"That sti-"

Another cane strike stuffs the words back into Fuguki's mouth before he can voice them. He scowls but the clan head simply looks ahead, "The autopsy shows nothing conclusive, no poison, no jutsu, no injury, no sign of trauma, no certain cause of death. But one thing is clear…the Mizukage has perished."

Once again, everyone present swallows the old man's words, digesting it with soft and unsure glances at one another. Mei's consternated look continues to worsen as fear for her village grips her and Ao remains stoically silent ever watchful of Fuguki and his swordsmen.

"Are we under attack?" Mei stands out from Ao's shadow, her voice soft but resilient as the look in her eyes.

The clan head peers open an eye to gaze at her and he cracks a smile, "Worry not, young Kunoichi, the war is ended."

Juzo snorts, "Number of times I've heard that…not exactly a good thing anyhow." He slams the Executioner's Blade into the roof and leans against it, wearing a bored look now that the tensions diffused.

"Even if we are, let them come. We'll show them the might of the swordsmen of the mist!" Raiga exclaims, pulling his ANBU mask to the side to reveal his battle ready grin.

Bloodlust, so much of it in this village.

Keeping a level head, Ao asks, "What is the will of the Mizukage?"

Again, the clan head strikes his cane and all listen with rapt attention, but he is not the one who speaks. Harusame unfurls the scroll and clears his throat, "It is the will of the Sandaime Mizukage that the traditions and precedents for class advancement he has set during his tenure be followed in regard to the choosing of his successor. All worthy candidates within the village are permitted a month preparation and no more before facing their final tests. As always, candidates may decline to participate."

"Huh? Does that mean what I…huh?" Juzo starts to stutter.

Kisame who has yet to utter a word steps beside Juzo, nodding, "Yes, it means exactly that. But I wonder how easy it is to qualify as candidate given present company." His eyes fall on Mei and Ao as he says this, piecing them apart as unworthy of being part of what is essentially the Third Mizukage's way of saying 'Want it? Fight for it.'

I feel Ao's gaze fall on me for a moment and I meet it, his eyes betray nothing and he soon turns away as he steps back from the informal circle of Mizukage candidates.

"Another bloody mist trial and this time for Kage? Count me out then, I won't kill good shinobi for power." Resolute in his words he turns to Mei, "What about you?"

"What about you, Yagura Karatachi?" Fuguki demands before Mei can utter a word, his sharp tooth baring a slight scowl as he watches me carefully, "You haven't said too much since you arrived, not feeling like a gentleman tonight?"

Honestly, the Mizukage pulling this kind of shit stunt left me baffled and quite pissed. It's like every day living in this misty village got harder and now it's clearly a massive pain in the ass for me.

While I'm certain the Mizukage's death has something to do with Madara's own and the end of the genjutsu cast on him— essentially the very same thing that happens to Yagura— I am not as certain who is responsible for this cruel rite of passage.

My gut tells me it's Madara's farewell attempt to further cripple Kiri's fighting capability by subjecting even Kage candidates to the bloody mist trials.

Kill everyone to become what you seek.

I look at my fellow Kage candidates; Fuguki, easily an S-rank even without Samehada. Juzo, also a capable near S-rank shinobi but less intimidating than Fuguki even with Kubikiribocho. Raiga with the Twin Kiba doesn't break S-rank but he's still an opponent worth looking out for. Kisame, younger and without the Samehada poses as much a threat as Raiga, perhaps more if he has even half the jutsu I faintly remember him capable of unleashing without Samehada— his massive chakra reserves rival Fuguki's already as well.

With my paltry knowledge and experience handling chakra, casting Ninjutsu and non-existent fighting ability, things aren't looking so hot for me right now and I need to become Mizukage.

If Ao or Mei don't participate then of the swordsmen of the mist, Fuguki is the most likely to cut down everyone and seize the title if I don't do something.

I've already considered not doing anything about the Fourth Mizukage title and letting someone else take it. After all, I'm not exactly Kage material either, I am literally impersonating Yagura in his own body and I've never held government position in either life. It might be a better idea to work against Obito from the background even if I don't wield absolute power over one of the five great nations.

But I remain resolute in my decision, "I won't kill any of my comrades but I won't sit back and watch you become Mizukage either."

My words seem to bolster Mei to a decision as well, "I don't want to fight anyone either, not to the death."

Fuguki snorts at both of us and swings Samehada in a dramatic arc so it rests on his shoulder, "I will do what I must."

"Juzo, Kisame, Raiga, what will you choose?" the old man strikes his cane, demanding swift response.

The three swordsmen share a look amongst themselves. Kisame wordlessly sheathes his katana and Raiga sighs but sets the Twin Kiba aside as well. Only Juzo eyes me and Fuguki with a gleam of bloodlust.

In the end he says, "Yagura, a fresh Jinchuriki and Fuguki-sama…huh." He licks his lips and cackles, "Not worth my life."

Another cane strike cracks through the air at that and the old man pins me with both eyes, "Yagura-kun, the Third's will demands blood for the honour, you must abide."

If this is how it happened in the canon I don't know and I'm sure I never will, all I have is the world in front of me and the knowledge of its perilous future— my perilous future.

Even if I secede and let Fuguki have the title, Obito will still manipulate him with genjutsu to fund the Akatsuki and come after me because of the Three-Tails anyway. If anyone should be Mizukage, it has to be me.

Looks like I might have to kill Fuguki after all.

Goodbye Sandaime! Hello Sandaime’s Daughter!
The Third Mizukage's funeral was a solemn and silent event. A heavy rain fell as it should at all funerals, whether it was naturally occurring or not I wasn't sure nor did I care. My thoughts were keyed on something else.

Family.

It has been over a decade since I enjoyed the show, story and lore of the world I am now inhabiting. Even as an avid, arguably day one follower of the series, my memory of events, systems, clans and generally how things worked turned shoddy in the passing years, especially as I matured.

Under the petering rain and chilling wind, I hung my head in a low bow as I, one of the most talented shinobi from one of the major clans within Kirigakure stood to pay respects to the late Third Mizukage.

I don't believe I ever realized it but the village hidden in the mist was truly one founded on absolute command and loyalty to those in said absolute command. As such, standing beside me paying their respects are talented shinobi and kunoichi from clans such as the Hozuki, Hoshigaki, Funato and in significantly lesser prestige, the Yuki clan.

Even the Daimyo had sent a representative from his clan but they didn't have much a place in Kiri, not truly. The true power was vested in the balance of the five clans, Karatachi, Yagura's clan included.

As such, everyone else had a place at the back of the line and not just at the Mizukage's short and sweet funeral, but in all things. A caste system isn't at all what I expected when I woke up in this world but Kiri continues to prove to me that things can always get worse.

Done with my silent prayer for the Sandaime's genjutsu tortured soul, I back away and walk under the umbrella my aide has waiting for me.

Daichi is a tall grey haired man with the same shade of eyes as Yagura— me— and carries himself with a bit too much excitement in his step for someone attending a funeral.

But I knew why. I'm not ignorant to the stares and attention I've received since my attendance. More than a few people want a word with the top contender for the Fourth Mizukage position. Or any contender for that matter as I notice Fuguki's in attendance as well and expresses no restraint conniving.

No, it hasn't been officially announced but with clans like Funato and Hoshigaki in attendance, it's not hard to see how word might have got out. I refrained from making prolonged eye contact with anyone lest they take it as a sign to approach and beseech for future favours or more likely, pardons.

My aide, who happens to be of the Karatachi clan, doesn't feel the same, in fact I think he has another mission here besides escorting me. Yagura finds this annoying as much as I do but resigns it to be another one of Uncle's schemes of which I'm still trying to piece the full memories together.

He shepherds me into the path of the Hozuki clan mother, Nana Megumi. She's almost as old as the Funato head except she managed to retain some charm by standing up straight with the composure of an active shinobi.

Even though she's a granny, it's Yagura's cruel fate to be youthful and short. There's just no helping that. It's no one's fault damn it!

She smiles down at me, lips twisting with the faux warmth of a parent and for a moment I fear she'll reach down and pinch my cheeks. Instead her smile dissolves at a thunder clap she sneers, "Lost respect for your elders already now have you, Mizukage boy."

Daichi bristles beside me but quickly reminds himself of his place. His mission was to shepherd me to her and he's done it, no need to risk his life any further.

Reminded of my own place, I dipped my head in an extra low bow, "Forgive me Nana, I am distraught with grief."

To be fair, since I decided to consider killing Fuguki for the title in three weeks' time, my training with Harusame only made me confident of my future rank as Mizukage.

Even if he fends off Yagura's impressively reliable muscle memory and defeats me, I am certain that another near-death experience would lead to Isobu's release. Isobu will decimate whoever is in front of him, even if it's the chakra eating sword.

Besides, getting into my Jinchuriki seal and attempting Talk no Jutsu with my future knowledge was on my list as well. Tail beasts aren't unreasonable creatures, in fact, I recall Isobu being one of the friendliest.

Talking to him and getting him to stop trying to passively dominate my chakra in place of full cooperation will ensure I start off my reign with a powerful nuclear deterrent.

"You aren't engaged in anything right now are you?" Two women step out behind her, one a mourning mother who reminded me of the Third. His wife.

That must be his daughter then.

Rina Hozuki. She wore the same plain black for the funeral but her emotionless face and pearled dark violet faded hair reminded Yagura of her reputation as a shinobi, even as a Chuunin.

"Uh…" I thought to what I had planned, more exercise and training, basically the same as last month. A shinobi's regiment, even if it's mostly meditation and chakra moulding with Harusame, is not anything I'd have signed up for.

Which is why I didn't. It sucked even more because while his lessons provided awareness in my chakra and even Isobu's within me, he hasn't mentioned anything about casting jutsu!

Yagura's muscle memory only went so far and each time I tried what he remembers as his most basic jutsu— Water Style: Water Dragon— it broke down before the dragon's head could exit the lake.

Rina's a talented one with Water Release, if this invitation is what I think it is then I could simply watch her train and study the way she moulded her chakra.

"No, not anything important enough to decline your company, Nana."

She chuckled and I thought it genuine, "Good, come then. I'm sure you're acquainted with my granddaughter, Rina."

"Yes, we've had words."

Requiem for Whirlpool
"Anndd? What did you say?" Uncle Aoto leaned in over the chabudai, an excited grin splitting his face as he eyes twinkle with curious glee.

As I suspected, my aide's actions were governed by his orders, Uncle wanted me to meet with the Hozuki's, specifically the remnants of the Third Mizukage's family.

Dutiful nephew and clan member that I am, I did, "I said I'll think about it, Uncle, did you want me to say yes?"

He snorts and poured another shot of sake into our cups; I drink when he drinks, "No, no! Of course not, but you entertained the idea, didn't you?"

We downed cups in sync and I shrugged, my face twisted in distaste but a growing fondness for the drink, "I offered to spend more time with Rina, I'm too young for a marriage right now and I think I'll be very busy with training for…a long time. So I offered to practice Water Release with Rina."

Uncle Aoto shook his head, waving his hands as well as his lips pursed at the sour tang of the drink and my words. He's a broadly built man, not at all anything like stout Yagura save his iconic mane of grey hair and a stitched line tracing down both his violet coloured eyes.

"Too young for marriage? Nonsense!" He begins to pour another shot and I consider lamenting as I feel my senses begin to dull, "Yagura, you've shot us to the height of all Kiri, no, all of the Land of Water. You can't waste any time choosing a bride to carry your legendary lineage."

He snickers a bit and hiccups. Aoto Karatachi wasn't always this jovial according to Yagura's memories, within them the man seated in front of me was a hardened shinobi that contributed more than his share as star prodigy alongside Yagura's mother in the early days of the Second Shinobi War.

To be honest, although his machinations are the kind I can't help but get wrapped up in, I appreciated that the clan head I served wasn't awful. He had a sense of humour but more than that, an opportunistic and straightforward mindset, one that influenced Yagura's upbringing as a shinobi quite heavily.

Bashfully, I chuckled and deflect, "That's true, yeah, but first I have to actually become Mizukage no? I'm going up against Fuguki Suikazan, an experienced shinobi and one of the Swordsmen of the Mist. I have to prepare."

Uncle minded me with an understanding look as he rubbed the stubble on his chin, "Preparation is a given but you are Yagura Karatachi, one of my very best, no, the very best Karatachi. The Suikazan clan has little name to hold onto beyond Fuguki's and his is not very impressive. There's no chance in hell you'll lose to a second-rate!"

As bright and cheery as the Karatachi clan head was, he is also a member at the top of the caste system kept in place and as such enjoys the many privileges with great comfort.

"Rina might not be the one you choose to marry Yagura, she may not even be the right choice. But you must solidify your reign with a prestigious heir and though as the future Mizukage I will have little power in bringing you to do so, you surely understand the importance this holds to the clan."

He unfurled his feet and got up to the chamber behind him and slid it open as he spoke, "If you are so concerned about Fuguki then this should put you at ease…if you can master it in time anyway."

When he returns he does so with a large, heavy scroll. He doesn't let me stand to take it and instead sets it down beside me for me to examine the minute words written along the edges of the many maelstrom symbols.

Making them out I read aloud, "Requiem for the Whirlpool?"

He nods excitedly, "That is the gift your grandfather prepared for me when he chose me as successor. I'm no longer an active shinobi and so it should obviously go to the most prodigious talent of our clan. I wanted it to be your inauguration gift but here it is, don't ask for another." He winks.

I continued to study the inscriptions on the scroll and it didn't take long for me to realize what it was. Wide eyes shoot up to him as I gasped, "A Summon? What kind?"

He grins and presses a finger to his lips, "I am not one to spoil the fun of discovery and I'm sure you'll enjoy making this discovery on your own."

The wording of the sentence and his lecherous grin made a shudder run through my spine as I wondered what other silly plan he's concocted. Still, a summon is something Yagura doesn't have and as far as I've seen, in this universe, they're some of the most useful and powerful beings even capable of withstanding a tailed beast.

I rise and bow deeply to him, "Thank you, Uncle, I will put it to good use."

He nods and waves me to sit back down and drink, "I'd rather have you put something else to good use but it's your choice!" He raises his hands in surrender as though he truly has on the matter but he's only just begun.

Snickering at his antics I decide to toss him a bone, "I will see about getting married within a year of my reign, should I reign. I won't dismiss your suggestions either."

That seemed to brighten the man more than anything and he raised his glass to me, "To many children then! Kampai!"

I clinked my glass with him but didn't follow his toast. Yagura's only eighteen at the moment and is about to be saddled with the weight of an entire country's political and military workings. Having children is out of the question.

As if reading my mind, the partly drunken clan head leaned heavily on the table and rasped, "Hozuki is the best clan to marry into, Yagura, not only for the prestige and might of Karatachi and Hozuki united but also for your sake. They will have no reason to come against you if you favour them with such a deal."

Uncle doesn't need to spell it out for me, I've felt more than a dozen set of eyes watching my movements at any given time and not all of them are confirmed as ANBU. I fully expected that at some point someone will make an attempt on my life for whatever reason. Kage's are high-valued targets even more so in Kirigakure.

"The Hozuki and Funato have kept the office of Mizukage in their grasp, they won't see it slip without sufficient concessions, even to a fellow founding clan." Uncle droned and sighed. He downed one more shot of sake and stepped out to the large koi pond for some air.

The first Mizukage being of the Funato clan cemented their importance greatly but the Second and Third Mizukage's were of the Hozuki, with the Third marrying a woman from the Funato clan.

His sole heir being Rina, a Chuunin with great prospects but not nearly enough to bolster her clan's standing the way Yagura does with the Karatachi, the Hozuki hold out some hope at retaining a measure of their power through a marriage the same way the Funato clan did.

It is a win-win for both Karatachi and Hozuki if I do find a wife in Rina but unfortunately, I have more pressing things to worry about at the moment. Surviving Fuguki, Obito and whoever else might want to assassinate me before I get a chance to do anything as Mizukage.

Something disturbs the air, shifting it as it takes space and I turn to Uncle, finding him standing up with his back straightened and head held high. He stares down a set of three ANBU who have materialized atop the pond, their feet barely making a ripple.

I am immediately on my feet and at my Uncle's side. Two ANBU wore masks with red and blue swirls that rose from the end or came from the bottom, neither obscured the wavy symbol of Kiri etched at the top. In classic ANBU fashion they had on sturdy flak jackets and baggy black trousers that tuck in at their ninja sandals.

The one with red swirls had a katana strapped to their back and the blue swirls had a massive shuriken. Their leader was much subtler.

She had her jet black hair fall at over her shoulders in two pigtails and was cloaked in a midnight black material that billowed at her arrival and concealed her weapons and even hands underneath it. Her mask stood out from the others though as the sleek porcelain contours out with the design of an owl, piercing golden eyes peered out of the eye-slits and seemed to narrow with the owl-mask's beak.

"Aoto Karatachi, you are to come with us now, we have pressing questions." The owl-mask spoke with an indifferent command, as if her announcing was only a courtesy.

"Am I under arrest?" Uncle beams, maintaining composure as though he hadn't been half drunk a moment ago.

"That remains to be seen."

"What is the meaning of this?" I stepped out of Uncle's shadow and demand, "On whose authority are you seizing my uncle?"

"Are you resisting?" The owl mask doesn't look away from Uncle as she asks this but the water beneath her feet ripple and Yagura knows she's tensed and ready to carry out her orders by force if necessary.

Had I truly been Yagura I would've stubbornly welcomed the challenged but all I could do is grit my teeth.

"The council ordered this investigation, we move on their behalf." The red swirly mask said in a softer tone, clearly not ready to get into it with a Kage-candidate and a clan head.

"Ahh? Is that what this is about?" Uncle mused and clapped his hands, causing all three ANBU to flinch, "You should have said so then! ANBU, always so rude. Don't worry about me Yagura, this is just an internal investigation on the Sandaime's…suspicious passing, yes?"

He turned the question to the owl-mask who bristled ever so slightly before nodding, "We will try to be brief but resisting is not wise."

I felt her response targeted me in particular, as if telling me to stand down. I would, of course, if this is about the Mizukage's death I knew exactly who killed him and how, not that any of them would believe me if I told them.

So I shut my mouth and returned a curt nod, watching as the ANBU lead Uncle Aoto away through the rooftops.

Turtle Island
Breathe in….out…Breathe in…out…Breathe in… "Achoo!" Another terrible sneeze knocks me out of my meditative position. Sniffling I close my eyes again try and ignore the stink eye young Utakata is giving me across the temple room and the tired sigh from Harusame.

Barring my fierce and uncontrollable reactions to the healthy pollen drifting in from the lush green lands of Kirigakure's Turtle Island, I haven't exactly been the best student and after a month and a half, it's beginning to show.

Harusame's footfalls approach and I ready myself for another in-depth one-on-one class with him repeating everything he's said over the past month and a half and me not comprehending most of it.

"Yagura-kun." His voice is soft and calm, though the strain of teaching me bubbles underneath, "Are you sure you wouldn't rather practise your chakra moulding? Communicating with a Tail Beast is an…advanced skill."

He minds his wordings because student or not, I am still a Kage-candidate and in another two weeks he'll be answering directly to me…assuming I survive Fuguki of course.

But I don't need him mincing his words or tiptoeing around me, not yet anyway. I love power and the instinctual fear that people attribute to it, but not when it hinders me from acquiring even more power. To be fair, a lot of that love may come from Yagura himself.

Harusame's chakra moulding techniques have been very useful to me and I didn't notice the benefits until I tried walking on water— it was surprisingly easy and it was all me doing it, none of the Yagura muscle memory shit.

Casting jutsu successfully is the next thing on my list but I've held off on attempting any since the ANBU charted Uncle away. Turtle Island and its massive temple is the only place in Kiri where the prying eyes are few and my failures won't be marked against me. It is also the only place where Jinchuriki, Utakata and I, can train with our Tail Beast chakra without fear of wreaking havoc.

That said, Utakata is the only one of us that can manage to summon his Tailed Beast's chakra. Under Harusame's instructions he doesn't exceed a single tail of the chakra cloak and on some days he doesn't even summon a tail, merely coating himself in the immense chakra and familiarizing himself with it.

No such luck for me. "No, I can continue chakra moulding in my own time, even in my own home but if I am here." I gesture to the large temple with statues of ancient, cloaked men and symbols of Kiri, the Three-Tails and Six-Tails, "Then I have to study the three tails."

With only two weeks left to battle Fuguki for the title of Mizukage and zero successfully cast jutsu, the only logical thing left for me to do is to activate my trump card— Isobu.

That said I do have another trump card, the summoning scroll Uncle Aoto gifted me details instructions of how to go about acquiring the summons favour and unlocking their technique— a terrifying genjutsu that traps whoever's in it in a reality of boundless pleasure and decadence.

But to use their jutsu I have to first find them in the Land of Whirlpools far off the coast of the Land of Water and Kirigakure. Going after a one-hit KO genjutsu with two weeks to spare isn't going to be possible and so I have to access my Tailed Beast.

Utakata seems to have had enough and scoffs. He dusts off his butt and scowls at me, "Chakra moulding is the first step to protecting yourself against Tailed Beast chakra. You can't skip steps just because-"

"Utakata! Silence! Show some respect to your…" Harusame seems just as unsure about my chances as I am and stutters, "Your elders. Yagura may have become a jinchuriki only recently but he has been an active shinobi far longer than you've been alive!"

It's a bit of a stretch to say but enough to have Utakata flush with embarrassment and shuffle away. He's only about twelve years old and a recently promoted Chuunin but his experience as a Jinchuriki is all that matters to the village and all that matters to him as he prides himself in his control.

Harusame and I watch him storm off but once he leaves Harusame's gaze softens, "Forgive him, Yagura-kun, he has suffered the burden of the Six-Tails and only wishes to help."

I could believe that. Utakata is nothing like the stoic missing-nin I watched take on Pein and his Six Paths, no, he is a child here and much of his emotions still remain, thankfully.

"Yes, of course. He is right about skipping steps; I should play it safe but I simply don't have the time. Has he managed to speak with the Six-Tails?"

Harusame shook his head, "Beyond the nightmares and chakra flares, he hasn't mentioned communicating with the beast. In fact, I wouldn't advice that he does such."

Harusame's eyes narrow at me at his last words and I know the advice applies to me as well. I shake my head and offer a charming grin, "Trust me."

He looked surprised and sighs, resigning to do so with a nod, "I will brew some of my special tea for you then, I am sure it will help your endeavours."

At that I tried not to lose my smile to cringe, Harusame's special herbal brew remains the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted but I cannot deny that it helps. All the chakra churning and moulding I do helps refine my chakra control but its main objective is to familiarize myself with the seal.

Harusame's Three Pillar seal. Flooding my chakra through each individual pillar and casually brushing against the Three-Tails chakra like a beach wave swallowing sand. So far I've only managed to sense the Three-Tail's chakra as I wash my chakra through the Three Pillar seal, but with my improving chakra control it's getting better.

Now I can nibble at the Three-Tail's chakra but since my body isn't at all used to controlling or holding such volatile power outside the seal it quickly disperses through my chakra network and sometimes leaks out of my body.

Such inefficient control strains the considerably weakened seal and causes my body to burn up, his herbal remedies soothe the reactions and also help me tune into my meditation.

Still, I'm not looking forward to tasting it so often. The quicker I reach within my seal and talk to Isobu, the better.

Breathe in…out…Breathe in…out…

Death to Hozuki
By now the entire village knew of the Third's death and many speculated the cause. Without an official announcement and how soon he was buried, rumours began to propagate unheeded. Of which assassination seemed to be the most popular theory.

But who could manage such? To find the village hidden in the Mist, slip past the natural defences, bypass the hordes of ANBU on high alert since the end of the war and kill the strongest shinobi in the entire village without raising a single alarm.

While many claimed that the perpetrator came from one of the villages many enemies abroad, it is no surprise that the ANBU conducted an internal investigation first and foremost, after all, a village built on the backs of the lower caste will have multitudes of enemies within it.

It didn't take long for the oppression of the low caste clans to reach my ears. Dozens of innocent men and women, Kirigakure's own shinobi were being slaughtered on the slight suspicion of harbouring hatred to the Sandaime, his family and clan.

And it all started with a death threat.

I stared at the crumpled piece of Paper Bomb that had the threat written at the back, "Down with the Hozuki…Peace to Kirigakure..huh." I mused and passed it on to Mei and Ao who sat beside me in one of the Mizukage's council rooms.

Of the Seven Swordsmen only Fuguki was present and he examined it closely as well before passing it back to the source— the owl mask ANBU that charted Uncle Aoto away.

She slipped it back into a transparent evidence bag before pocketing it. She stood beside the old Funato clan head and Nana Megumi who was the first to encounter the message and call for help.

"Obviously it wasn't meant to explode, the message was meant to be received and terror stricken into our grieving hearts." Nana Megumi began, she didn't speak like someone who was especially aggrieved but that was neither here nor there.

The Funato clan head concurred with a strike of his cane, "And in the hearts of us all. My dear granddaughter received a message as well, this one attached to a flung kunai." He nodded at Rina who sat beside Nana Megumi and the Chuunin, surrounded by many oppressive figures hesitated to speak.

"Mother would have come herself but the message…they are wicked words." She said as she shifted on her mat and produced the weapon in question, "It came in through a window while we served dinner, embedded itself right in the turkey mother was carrying to the table. I destroyed the message the moment I saw it but mother remains distraught."

"What did it say?" It was Fuguki that spoke, his back straight and arms folded with a deepening sneer on his lips.

Rina shuddered, "It said, 'May the blood of your innocent unborn drown you.'"

At this everyone bristled, even I as I didn't know that—

"The Third would have another child?" Mei nearly exclaims, part excited but mostly horrified at the implications, "How did they…who are these people?"

"Scum. The worst of scum. Fiends without heart, terrorist!" Nana Megumi's wrinkled face drew into a scowl that promised a painful death to whoever was behind these messages.

Hands crossed behind her back, Owl mask cleared her throat, "We have increased security on both families but and moved them into the Hozuki compound proper. If this happens again, they won't get away with it."

Ao scoffs, "Haven't they already? They've murdered the Sandaime and now threaten his entire family. What progress have you made identifying the culprits besides slaughtering more innocents?"

Owl mask shifted her gaze to Ao and coolly replied, "Whomever we've captured and or executed are not innocent."

I had to speak to that, "Maybe not of petty crimes but of this? Are you saying the low caste Genin and Chuunin you took had a hand in Sandaime-sama's murder?"

Owl mask's hands fell at her side as clenched fists and I felt her gaze harden on me behind her mask. I tried not to squirm and she breathed, "His secretary's testimony fails to impress us. She was recently promoted to her station as well, as part of many of Sandaime-sama's mercies to her kind."

The Funato clan head stroked his thin beard as he groaned, "Never mind that, in regards to your summons, Mei, Yagura, Ao, Fuguki, I will ask each of you aid the ANBU."

A mission? Even though I knew the Mizukage's true killer I couldn't refute the death threats. Someone had to be behind all of this. In the anime only Mei, Fuguki and Ao are glimpsed on screen, I don't know how Madara and Obito's schemes affected the individual lives of background characters.

A little harsh to call them background characters. I winced at my thoughts. But the fog of war remained and I was getting caught in it. If I were the full-fledged Elite Jounin, Yagura Karatachi, in fullness this situation wouldn't be so uneasy.

I've literally only practised [Water Style: Water Dragon] because I thought it was too cool to try anything else. In hindsight maybe starting Ninjutsu practice with an A-rank jutsu known for its long series of hand signs wasn't the brightest idea.

Madara is dead. If Obito is any more diligent than I am he's gathering the Akatsuki by now…but what if he isn't?

Yes, what if? What if none of this is going to go how I think in my head and Obito is venting his frustrations of Kirigakure already. Owl mask is pretty prejudiced already and he could be taking that to his advantage, weaken Kiri even further before hammering the nail and sending me into an unbreakable genjutsu.

Fuck. This had better not kill me.

"Mei, Ao, follow Owl-san here to investigate Konoha's involvement." The old man glanced at Fuguki and I, "Only a week remains till we carry out the succession, Fuguki, guard Megumi-dono. Yagura, protect Sandaime-sama's family."

"Forgive me, I believe it will be best that I watch Sandaime-sama's family as well. I will assign a squad to Ao and Mei to investigate abroad." Owl mask requested and I worried the reason for her animosity thus far is the truth of my own incompetence.

Either way, I am partly incompetent and I would appreciate the assist if there is an attempt on Rina and her mother's life. Practising Water Dragon meant I practised both hand sign speed and precise chakra control.

I've only cast it once successfully— though it failed a moment afterwards because I couldn't control my excitement— but there are less complex jutsu I can cast more easily with at level I am, if only I bothered to try.

Gotta practise more jutsu then. Got it. "I think that's a good idea too. Owl-san likely has some unfinished internal investigations as well." I said.

Old man Funato didn't look concerned, "As you wish. Let us bring justice to our Kage and soon."

He struck his cane and everyone stood to bow. Nana Megumi shifted her mat closer and sat while the rest of us filed out of the room into the blue hallway.

Fuguki cast me a sideways glare but doesn't so much as bother to say a word of aggression or arrogance even in the face of our coming death match. Mei and Ao remain back to talk to Owl mask, it's unfortunate too because from the tone and urgency I doubt I'll be seeing either in the coming weeks.

Darn it. My one chance to ask for a training session with her. Okay, maybe I had ulterior motives to wanting to talk to her, who can blame me? Her hair had begun to grow into an auburn mane and the sensual, cherry sway of her waist seized my gaze. Uncle Aoto did say I should marry.

"Yagura-senpai."

Speaking of marriage, last to exit the room, Rina approached me with a fierce and determined fire in her eyes. Her hands clutched the kunai that bore that god awful message, "Please, make me strong!"

Water You Capable Of?
The Hozuki clan grounds are wet. Sections of it are split into pools and waterfalls of various sizes and the homes, halls and training areas are smack dab in-between with some even constructed atop a shallow river or small lake.

It isn't uncommon to find children and adults spending time fishing out of the bodies of water surrounding their homes but it's far more common to find members within the waters themselves. More than once I've been scared out of my body when I look down and find the face of a child staring up at me in the water like some water spirit or something.

Since I'm on protection duties, I've had to move in with Rina and her mother. Their floating home has more rooms than even their servants have use for so it was easy settling in. For practical concerns, Fuguki moved in alongside Nana Megumi— although she seemed upset to have to leave her main quarters at the centre of the compound.

I didn't see Owl mask often but I did sense her presence here and there, especially when I was with Rina. In the two days I've been here, Fuguki and I rarely cross paths, a thing I am grateful for because when we do cross paths Samehada's loud purring and sometimes outright lurches at me make me very uncomfortable.

"Samehada can't wait to have a taste." He'd said when it first happened and I barely managed to dodge in time. I scolded him as unprofessional of course, it's the best thing I could do and since then he's kept Samehada from lurching at me.

Knowing how delicious that living sword thinks Bijuu chakra is I could be faulted for baiting it. I wasn't expecting to be assigned on a protection mission or any mission at all for that matter, after all, I'd just become a Jinchuriki and Kage-candidate, I couldn't be exposed to dangers willy-nilly.

Unfortunately, here I am, away from Turtle Island where I can make good practise with the time left until I face Fuguki in mortal combat. Desperate, I continued on with my chakra moulding training, but with Owl mask, Nana Megumi and Fuguki nearby I didn't dare practice stealing Isobu's chakra.

But I believed I could still find my way to Isobu without poking at him through the seal. The progress I'd gained in my week on Turtle Island made me familiar with his chakra, I could sense the direction the Three Pillar Seal siphoned fractions of it to convert into usable chakra.

If I'm right, then all I had to do was follow the trail and meditation would help me key into it.

"Did you see! I got all targets under three seconds! Yagura-senpai?"

If only I had the peace of Turtle Island. I refrained from groaning as I peered my eyes open and found Rina grinning up at me all sweaty. I sat atop one of the taller target posts with only a metal tray to keep my balance. She found it very impressive when I first threw myself on here but in truth I'm barely doing anything asides trusting my body not to fall over.

Rina pointed over at the posts on the other side where she practiced her [Shurikenjutsu] as per my instructions. To her credit she consistently hit all targets, even the ones held up in what few trees the training grounds could foster.

Far from the grieving girl I met at the Mizukage's funeral, Rina wears gripped black training shorts and an ash grey cropped jacket-top that had pockets for senbon needles and shuriken.

She's already on the move retrieving the fallen and embedded ninja tools from their targets.

"Improve it to a single second." Is my half-hearted instruction and by the look on her face I can tell she saw it coming.

Still, she doesn't complain and carries on with practicing her throws. I know this isn't the kind of mentorship she wants out of training with the infamous Yagura Karatachi but until I can live up to his name, it's going to be the best she'll get.

In hindsight I should have shut her down entirely but how could I possibly? She lost her father, a man she believed to be the strongest around in a mysterious and suspicious manner, and now her family is facing blatant death threats in the aftermath.

Of course she'll want to get stronger. I don't need to be a mind reader to know or sympathise with what she's feeling. But it doesn't change the scope of my abilities to help. [Shurikenjutsu] is one of the most muscle memory reliant skills I've found in my repertoire, right alongside Bojutsu and to a lesser extent, Taijutsu because Yagura never quite favoured it.

Plus, [Shurikenjutsu] is vague and easy to critique if she ever bothers to ask for help improving, which in the past two days, she doesn't. It's a simple skill capable of being self-taught.

Satisfied with myself I recede back to my meditative state and continue seeking the right Bijuu mana thread that will lead me into a conversation with Isobu. It's becoming more frustrating each time I fail because as far as I know, Naruto never struggled so much to communicate with Kurama and the first few times he wasn't even trying.

Hmm, maybe that's the problem. I'm trying too hard instead of letting Isobu come to me.

I tried to think of it from Isobu's perspective. If I was just re-sealed into yet another Jinchuriki the only opportunity I'd be looking for was one to seize control and escape, not talk. If that's true then I need to somehow make myself vulnerable enough for Isobu to bite the bait, of course, there's no guarantee he won't succeed and escape.

"Yagura-sensei."

I let out a breath as Rina interrupts before I can even get back in the zone. "Yes, Rina?"

Her lips press together as she nervously looked up at me, "Could we train Ninjutsu instead? I'm not really a ninja tool user, only in emergencies."

"Emergencies are exactly why you're training in them now, didn't you say I should make you strong?" Is my swift rebuttal as she practically makes the argument for me.

Looking deflated she murmured, "Yeah but I thought you…train in that and then I'd be stronger."

"What was that?" I squint down at her, not catching the middle part of whatever she said.

Inhaling and setting her fidgeting hands straight at her side she glared up at me and spoke in a clear, direct voice, "I said I thought you could help strengthen my Hyrdification."

At this I raise an eyebrow. [Hyrdification] according to both my memories and Yagura's is a Hozuki clan secret technique, a [Hiden Art] not unlike Yagura's own [Water Mirror] technique, which should be the easiest jutsu for me to cast but…I don't know the full secret, at least not yet. Browsing through Yagura's memories on a subject like Ninjutsu takes time and practise.

"I'm not sure how I could help with that, Rina. Wouldn't Nana Megumi be a more fitting teacher if that's what you're looking for?"

Her gaze faltered for a moment before finding my eyes again, "No, maybe you can't help me with my clan technique but I know you're the only one that can make me strong, strong like my father."

Ahhh, I see what this is about then. "Huh, alright then. Show me what you can do." I said and hopped off the post, with a Tiger hand sign I summoned my hooked Bo-staff from the scroll I carry around and twirled it with deft, "Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Genjutsu, show me what you're capable of, Hozuki Rina."

Whet Stone
I tossed my Bo-staff from hand to hand and paced around Rina as she paced around me. Her eyes were steely firm, her breath even and legs set apart ready to bolt.

Like most people she stood a head taller than me and I smiled up at her, watching the nervousness behind her eyes lock away behind something else, a fury and thirst for power and perhaps vengeance.

When she explained she wanted to be strong like her father I immediately understood what she wanted and so I ask, "What do you believe about these rumours?"

Confused, her backward hold on her kunai loosens for a moment before she pieces together what rumours I'm talking about. Eyes narrowed, she takes a step, "I don't know how it's possible, Father was the strongest person and—"

I lurched at her before she could complete her reply. Bringing my bo-staff down on her head, her eyes go wide and she dashes out of the way and my smite craters a small part of the ground instead.

Startled, she leaps around the field away from me, skidding to a stop near the water and flurrying through hand-signs as I tell her, "Nothing is impossible."

Yagura recognizes the hand-signs she flips through— Ox, Snake, Ram— and before her chakra takes hold of the water to divest it to mist— I remember exactly how to deal with this jutsu.

"Water Release: Hidden in the Mist."

I grinned and kept my Bo-staff close as a heavy smog thickened around me, obscuring even the ground and any identifiable markers of the training ground.

With this I've already begun to enjoy Rina's company. In my earlier challenges casting the [Water Dragon] I theorized I'd have an easier time if someone would just show me how it's done right, if someone would cast a jutsu Yagura already knows so well and remind him of how it's done.

Sure, I'm no Uchiha and I can't see or precisely sense how chakra flows for any jutsu cast by someone else. But hand-signs are just that, they might not control how chakra moves directly but they're the blueprint for starting most jutsu. Yagura, even body-snatched by me, remains a master at Water Release, it's one of his biggest claims to the Kage title, the fact that he can wield Water Release like a fricking water bender.

What are hand-sign's but a reminder? What is a spar but an exercise in murder?

The mist shifted some feet away even as I wince at my own bloodlusted thoughts. Water bender or not, Yagura is a Kirigakure shinobi and if the memories of dealing with this technique are as real as they feel then he certainly wasn't the kindest person.

I wonder how long before I'm exactly the man in these memories. Given how easy it's becoming to wield his power I wouldn't wager long. These aren't the times for peaceful rulers.

Another shift in the mist nearby causes me to narrow my gaze around the thick impenetrable wall of fog around me, "You're not good enough at Silent Killing to use it on me, Rina."

Entirely a boast. Yagura's hearing is insane and I can make out the scratch of her footsteps as she glides off the ground but if I didn't already remember how to dispel her [Hidden in the Mist] technique I'd be a sitting duck.

My ears twitched at a sound behind me and I shifted my Bo-staff appropriately, deflecting a flurry of senbon meant to skewer me. Another disturbance in the mist comes from the front but at the same time shuriken and senbon soar at me from seemingly all angles.

Shurikenjutsu…or something else? I mused and rotated my Bo-staff in place while plucking some shuriken out of the air for myself— a skill I didn't know I had until now. I launched three plucked shuriken at speed to my left, right and behind me while I glared at the impenetrable fog in front of me.

The clang of kunai deflecting shuriken confirmed my thoughts but before I can lurch at her position Yagura's entire body clenches up with indecision and countering commands. I learn why instantly.

Rina's foot surges under me from a puddle of water I'd failed to notice, slamming into my gut and thrusting me into the air while she reforms from the water to lurch at my prone, vulnerable form with a kunai, victory shining in her eyes.

I let Yagura's body do as it pleases in my hasty defence and I come up with a half Tiger hand sign. The mist around us condenses to water in an instant and whips of water latch onto Rina's lurching hand.

She struggles as I land, breath choked out of me by her kick with my fingers pressed into the half Tiger. Another thing I'd never done, I could feel my chakra within the whips holding her back and I knew all I needed to do to solidify my victory was a bit more chakra, so I fed it more.

The whips grew huge as the mist thinned— I was seizing control of the water in the air from her for my own uses— and before Rina knew what was happening she was locked in a floating orb of water.

"Water Prison." I grinned at Rina now trapped in the heavy and sturdy ball of water, "Not bad, not bad at all."

She gave up a sign of surrender and the mist begun to rise and fade away. Behind me I heard water splashing and turned to find a Water Clone of Rina being dispelled. I smirked.

She could have kept going, I didn't know about that. I had suspected considering how her senbon and shuriken moved at me but nothing took my mind to a clone. I released my own [Water Prison] technique, sad to see its perfect form go and Rina collapsed to the ground out of breath.

"You give up too easily, Rina." The Yagura in me critiqued, "You can breathe in water, can't you?"

She nods and picked herself up, squeezing the water out of her shoulder-length purple chrome hair. "It's harder when the water is dominated by someone else's chakra and I can't seize it back."

I nodded at that and released my summoning on the Bo-staff, "I see…well, you're certainly capable. I see room for growth."

She grinned, looking relieved at the mention, "Really? So you'll teach me from now on?"

As far as I know, taking on a student is a big responsibility and I'm only a couple of days away from being declared the Fourth Mizukage and there were many issues within Kiri I needed to take care of even before moving onto my schemes against Obito and the Akatsuki.

I shrugged, "I can't promise anything except that sometimes I'll say yes when you ask. Sometimes."

She fell into a deep bow and yelled, "Thank you for the opportunity, Yagura-sensei!"

I cringed and fell onto my butt. As it turned out, sparring and training with a partner does help far more than by myself. I wouldn't ever let her know but I was looking forward to more training sessions.

En Garde
Fuguki leered down at me across the dinner table, his small eyes, the six green stripes along his face and shark-like teeth contrasted so much with his tied up orange hair that made him look like a really ugly schoolgirl.

The thinly veiled killing intent radiating off him did lessen the effect a bit but not by much, not since Nana Megumi pulled us both by our cheeks to take a seat at her table. It makes sense if it's just me— I pass off as a child anyway— but him too? Far too hilarious to let him intimidate me.

In a way it did humanize Fuguki to me a bit more. All this time I've only seen him as a filler character that I wouldn't mind murdering if it got my butt in the Mizukage's office. But watching Nana Megumi insist he's been working and training far too seriously and to eat reminded me that in this timeline, Fuguki is only in his mid-twenties.

Despite being quite young he survived the receiving end of Might Duy's [Eighth Gate of Death] and managed to rescue both Juzo and Raiga, not to mention retrieving the other legendary swords— a thing I'm very grateful for.

He played a major role in the war for Kirigakure and even now seeks to better it in his own skewed reality, all in service of the village. Recalling how he ended up dead, I figure he's Kirigakure's Danzo, a shady figure pulling strings for the benefit of the village no matter how anyone else perceives him to be pure evil.

He isn't though, he's just an ugly school girl. I tell myself as Rina guides servants to plate the tables and fill them with assorted sea foods. They placed a hot pot of vegetables, tofu, squid and some clams tied up in noodles. Cluttered another side of the table with mouth-watering grilled fish and cod as well as a platter of sushi.

The dishes kept coming but I lost track once mine arrived. A servant bowed her head deep as she does, hiding the knowing smirk on her lips as I uncover the only dish they've known me to appreciate. Seafood Donburi.

It might be an exaggeration to call it Seafood Donburi but what else would you call a bowl of rice littered with shrimp and marinated in a glazed sauce? Yagura and I had very conflicting tastes, having grown up here he'd love just about every fishy meal Rina's placed here but coming from a meat loving culture myself, I can't help but protest my limited meal choices.

As such, noodles, rice, shrimp and the occasional squid have been a consistent part of my meals.

Rina took her seat at Nana Megumi's right hand, her mother sat at her left and Fuguki beside her. Of everyone assigned to the protection mission only Owl mask was absent from the table— ANBU don't stop working till the end. Nana Megumi had a pleasant smile once Rina got seated, clasping her granddaughters hand and whispering a small thanks. Since that message was delivered Rina's mother didn't look the same, in fact, she looked almost dead herself.

Listless eyes, cracked lips, a stench that followed and a general lack of enthusiasm for anything, not even the child growing within her. It was troubling to watch her slip further into such a state but as much as I sympathized there was nothing I could do for her. It made Yagura feel weak.

He knew these people and had feelings and opinions attached to each of them before I came along and slapped 'background character' status on their heads. Though as time passed I began to feel and think about them beyond my schemes as well.

Nana Megumi went to grasp her daughter-in-law's hand but was quickly repulsed. Rina's mother was of the Funato clan and didn't share many features with her child. Her lack of hair colour beyond black was one indicator another was the hot and very hot relationship she seemed to have with Nana Megumi.

"Ahem, tomorrow is a big day for Kiri." Nana Megumi says as everyone settles. She turns her gaze to Fuguki and I, "Both of you are brilliant shinobi and have served loyally for years, thank you. No matter the outcome of tomorrow's duel know that you are precious."

Fuguki managed a normal looking smile at this and bows his head, "It has been an honour to serve, it will be a greater honour to serve as Mizukage." He glances at me from the corner of his eye, barely holding back a glare.

Ignoring it I smiled although more reservedly as I spoke, "Thank you, Megumi-dono, but I believe it's a sad day for Kiri to lose even one shinobi, not to mention one as skilled and renown as Fuguki."

A rumble of a growl erupts from him at my words, "You believe yourself victorious already, how foolish."

"No, I believe it will be foolish for either of us to die." I said firmly meeting his sharp glare, "If I become Mizukage tomorrow I will need strong shinobi most of all and it would pain me greatly to have callously killed one. Would you not feel the same?"

Fuguki hesitated to answer for a moment and Nana Megumi cut in, "It is my son's will that the match be to the final end. That was his will."

His will is flawed. But alas, I bite my tongue and didn't say what I felt would be truly necessary for the bloodlusted clan head to hear; her son was under immense genjutsu and half of the things he initiated was batshit crazy.

"I only mean to—"

Megumi narrowed her eyes at me and I wisely kept shut. She tried to resurrect her fallen smile as she glanced at her silent and exhausted granddaughter who had begun taking up her mother's duties and cleared her throat again, "Enough of that, let us eat and be full for the future the Yondaime Mizukage will bring."

Fuguki and I shared a look and I felt myself lose more of my will to kill the S-rank, high value, swordsman of the mist.

Maybe if I win decisively no one will da-

My thoughts are cut off by a sudden explosion outside, the tremors rattle food off the table before anyone has a chance to get a good bite and Rina's mother screeches in abject terror.

"No! No! Not my baby! Leave me!" She continued screaming even as Nana Megumi and Rina fall to her aid.

Fuguki and I are immediately up on our feet, without thinking I order him as I summon my Bo-staff in a poof of smoke, "Stay with them and I'll have a look."

"No, you stay back and protect them I wil-!"

"There's no time for this!" I shut him down entirely as my eyes close before declaring, "There are three groups closing in on our position, I think we might both need to go out."

How do I even know that? How can I see through the mist? I left my ponderings on Yagura's insane capabilities that keep appearing on instinct for later as Owl masks materializes in a cloud of mist.

"What's going on?" Fuguki barked out the moment she appeared fully.

"It's being handled." She says stoically though I note the quiet dripping of blood from her shoulder.

"Is it? There are three groups of two coming our way right now." I rebut, keying into Yagura's strange mistborn senses. "Okay…three are being engaged by your units now."

Her gaze falls on me and she snorts through a pained grunt as she raises her fingers to form hand signs, "Sensor-nin, good then. Yagura come with me, Fuguki, protect them."

A flash of disgust spreads over Fuguki's face at the assignment, he glances back and Rina and her mentally broken mother howling for her unborn child to be safe. His jaw locks but he gives Owl mask and I curt nods, "Do well."

Owl mask completes her jutsu and chakra surges out throughout the room, a frosty hue and temperature takes every corner at her final sign, "There, you'll have some help…if you need."

No more words are shared as Owl mask and I dash out the house and onto the rooftops, ready to greet our visitors. Meanwhile I couldn't believe the gall of our attackers.

It's the last day before I become Mizukage, why couldn't they just fucking wait?

Killer Instinct
Yagura was a beast.

I twirled around the pathetic attack, the bone user's arm overextends as I slip into his guard and deliver an uplifting uppercut to his stomach and then strike him down with my Bo-staff. The sound of bone crunching against my staff and the sight of blood spill as he coughs from crushed ribs fills me with unimagined glee.

A flurry of bone parts threatens to pierce me from the right but a glass pane of ice rises up to shield me. I glance behind me where Owl mask fends off a man with protruding bones and hiss as he nearly has her pinned down with his extended rib cage boxing her in.

Without thinking about it my fingers flip through hand-signs and chakra answers my will, "Water Release: Water Bullet!"

Pursing my lips, a high pressured wave of water emits out at our opponents, cutting through the ground as I struggle to control the pressure for a second before I set it right upon my target.

His disfigured body of bone suffers a direct impact but to my annoyance my pressured stream doesn't cut him in half, more bone seems to construct underneath his skin, hardening him against my attack. I fuel my jutsu with more chakra, intent on seeing the man's blood soak. His protruding bone ribcage snaps off, pieces flying off randomly as they lose against the pressure of my jutsu.

Tossed through the Hozuki clan grounds like a ragdoll the man struggles to get on his feet again in the time my jutsu elapses. A large part of me wanted nothing but to chase after him and ensure he bleeds for attacking us but I have other concerns, namely myself and allies.

Around me is a mess of water and bone. Rina's house was cut in half despite our best efforts, a mountain of bone shattered through the right half with the left half only protected by Fuguki's jutsu. Where there would be an opening to invade the home through windows and breaches, there's a large collection of orange hair and ice instead.

I ran over to Owl mask and crouched beside her as she groaned. Of all of us she expended the most chakra and ironically had the least. Without her jutsu though, I doubt we could have protected the Third's family as well as we have.

"Lay down." I ordered, forcing her shoulders back on the bloodstained waters around us.

"Kill him." She gritted out.

The man in question doesn't look like he's capable of causing any more trouble than he has, though he has caused trouble. Eyes narrowed at him as he pulls onto his feet, I flip through familiar hand-signs and the water around me surges at him.

He screams and bursts with chakra but unlike the frightening creature of bone anatomy he transformed into, he only manages two bone swords. But it doesn't matter. The water splashes into his face unheeded, drowning him with force as my will forms a [Water Prison] to trap and control him.

I'd used this jutsu earlier in the fight as well but to greater efficiency. The first [Water Prison] was a small ball no larger than a football and coloured dark crimson. With the pressure within the [Water Prison] I can crush whoever is trapped inside until all that's left of them is the size of a football.

Yagura is a beast.

I snatched some supplies from Owl masks pouch and quickly got to staunching her many lacerations and stab wounds. I hadn't come out unscathed either. My left arm is almost split in two from the litany of bone spears and other projectiles, not to mention I've been stabbed twice when the enemy got passed my ranged attacks.

Still, Yagura managed to prove superior against them even at close combat quarters. The insane amount of bloodlust that surged in me with each close encounter fuelled a passion for battle I never realized Yagura had.

I split some of Owl masks bandages around my stomach, thanks to Isobu's chakra the injury on my left arm is already sewing up itself.

I've been underestimating myself, or rather Yagura. When I sensed the enemy through the mist and leaped out onto the now partially destroyed rooftops to face them, I was crossing my fingers in the hope that I didn't die. I didn't think I had a chance against actual enemy combatants until I faced them.

And it was glorious. The striking pain of being sliced and stabbed, the pressure of keeping distance and preventing the porcupine-like enemy from getting the advantage, the magnitude of their jutsu to destroy half of an Ice Warded home even with Fuguki inside.

The thrill had me licking my lips, excited to cut down more. All this time I've judged Fuguki, the clans and even the Sandaime in silence, thinking them all as bloodlusted beasts and I a paragon of fairness but here I am, my heart racing for more blood to spill.

Yagura is a beast. You'd have to be to be so strong in a place like this. Having had a taste of my very first kills I find little remorse in my heart for my actions; the line between Yagura and I continues to blur.

"Kill them." Owl mask groans, slapping my hand away as she pulls herself up. Even with her mask on I could feel a heated glare fix on the last man I've kept as prisoner.

I shook my head and ordered the [Water Prison] closer to me, "No, we need one alive at least." I said, studying the partially drowning man.

[Water Prison] is a very versatile jutsu, with it I can ensure he drowns or that he doesn't, I can knock him out or crush him to the size of a football, but most importantly I can keep him exactly like this for as long as my chakra will allow.

Floating inside the ball of water is a man of the Kaguya clan. If their Bone manipulating techniques weren't obvious enough the zigzag pattern splitting their hair and the red dots on their head gave them away.

"Why?" Owl mask gritted, terribly low on chakra judging by her heavy gasps.

"Exactly that," I tell her, "The Kaguya clan attack so blatantly, not even bothering to hide their faces. We must know why."

Owl mask lifts her mask and chewed on a pill, "We already know why. To kill Sandaime-sama's family, to finish off his lineage!"

Whatever she took seemed to increase her chakra and she stood stronger for it, strong enough to be bothersome. "You think they killed Sandaime-sama too?" I scoffed and sat down with my legs crossed, "No, they're insufficient for such. Recall Ao, we should interrogate this one with him present."

"You have no power ordering me around." She hissed through the pain of her wounds, stepping closer to me and the [Water Prison] her chakra summoning a frosty kunai from the water all over.

"No, and you can certainly do as you please right now without breaking any rules. But if I become Mizukage…I won't forget this."

That halts her in place and I feel her intense glare sublime into something of fear and a tad bit of respect as she allows her ice kunai to collapse back to water, "Very well then, I'll recall Ao."

I gave a grateful nod and looked around the mess we've made of the compound and sighed. Suddenly three ANBU fell from the rooftops to Owl mask, all crouching in subservience.

"Sir!"

"Report." She groaned out.

"Sir! Funato, Yuki, Hoshigaki and Karatachi clan compounds have suffered similar attacks."

"What?" I nearly exclaimed. It's one thing for the Hozuki to be attacked but all five clans set upon by the Kaguya? "What of my uncle? Where is he?"

The ANBU spared me a look before glancing back at Owl mask who nodded. "Aoto-dono is safe. He and other Karatachi members fended off the attack with ease…but there have been casualties amongst all clans save for the Hozuki."

"How did this happen? How did they even get past our security? This…this is too suspicious."

Owl mask nods along with my deductions and turned her gaze to the Kaguya I have imprisoned, "I agree. It's too coordinated for a clan of their kind, they don't seem to know anything else apart from combat." She ordered her operatives, "Send message to Ao, he shouldn't be far off the path towards Konoha now. We need him here."

"Sir!"

With that one ANBU disappears in a cloud of mist. Owl mask turned to the others and started giving out organizational orders but all my focus was entirely on my grinning prisoner.

Back