[X] - RegenerationLv. 1

[X] - Try to calm my emotions. Panicking won't do me any good - I should figure out how I got here from the church, did I black out? How much did I miss?

We become Wolverine

I feel like if we are in the range and have the need to punch whatever we're fighting, we have already 'lost'. Not a loss of whatever fight we're in but of what advantage we naturally have as a spellcaster.

People assuming we're a dedicated spellcaster seems a bit on the premature side though.

People assuming we're a dedicated spellcaster seems a bit on the premature side though.

I agree with this sentiment, and a good mage is all ranges not only long. Mages are all about being prepared being prepared to fight in hand-to-hand is logical, I mean look at the mages of the Nasuverse.

Yeah. There's absolutely nothing saying "You know a bit of magic, hence, you are a wizard and should avoid close combat like the plague".

This might be one of those fantasy settings where damn near everyone has a little magic.

I kind of wanted to go full Black Knight Overlord type thing, because that's fun and allows for much more interesting battles than speed does (Since a Speed/Agility focus tends to be something that either wins without much issue or gets splattered across the countryside, depending on whether you're fast enough to trivialize the encounter or if you're not quite fast enough). But since people don't want Physique for some reason (Despite the fact that Strength/Constitution are very good stats for anyone who doesn't plan to be a rogue type or a wizard--Constitution is good no matter who you are I might point out), I have to go with the next best thing.

Last edited:
I agree with this sentiment, and a good mage is all ranges not only long. Mages are all about being prepared being prepared to fight in hand-to-hand is logical, I mean look at the mages of the Nasuverse.
This is not Nasuverse. I repeat, this is not Nasuverse.
We don't know the mechanics here, we've never even seen true combat. Also, there is something to be said about being prepared enough to never have to resort to hand to hand combat that speaks to your argument rather well.

We don't know the mechanics here, we've never even seen true combat. Also, there is something to be said about being prepared enough to never have to resort to hand to hand combat that speaks to your argument rather well.

That's the problem though, you're taking "We should be avoiding close combat like the plague" axiom as a resolved question, despite the fact that our backstory prior to becoming an Isekai Protagonist was literally "Got in fights and was a gangster wannabe" from what I can tell.

By all indications, that's an origin point that encourages a "Get stuck in" build, not one that's all about casting the spells that make the people fall down.

Guys guys GUYS.

This is literally the first series of skills we've gotten.

We will very likely get many more, and will likely be able to tailor or build as needed later!

For now, please calm down...

We have Shadow Magic and Traceless step automatically, so the question is, do we want the other boon we get to sync with those? Or go a completely different direction and try to get two paths at once?

If we're staying on the same path, Enhanced Physique or Agility are probably best bets.

Yeah. There's absolutely nothing saying "You know a bit of magic, hence, you are a wizard and should avoid close combat like the plague".

This might be one of those fantasy settings where damn near everyone has a little magic.
'Have magic' and 'Dedicated spellcaster' are two very different beasts.
Using and solely relying upon are two entirely different things.
Guys, huns, cuties. We already have a front line fighter. That is a position that is already well and taken care off.
Trying to catch up and match someone who is naturally better at something and who already has a large lead on us is one thing.
Taking the other option and going for a combat option that shores up any holes that said frontliner would come across facing ranged opponents is another.

Don't you want to have magic vs magic duels or pick off the other mages trying to snipe our sister while she's putting her sword through whoever would be trying to kill us?

I just want to say that coming from another quest which devolved into a violently aggressive saltfest at the first sign of serious disagreement, I really appreciate how civil you guys are keeping this difference of opinions. Please do keep that up, I love all of you for it.

Guys, huns, cuties. We already have a front line fighter. That is a position that is already well and taken care off.
Trying to catch up and match someone who is naturally better at something and who already has a large lead on us is one thing.
Taking the other option and going for a combat option that shores up any holes that said frontliner would come across facing ranged opponents is another.

Don't you want to have magic vs magic duels or pick off the other mages trying to snipe our sister while she's putting her sword through whoever would be trying to kill us?

One should never assume that an early party member is going to be around forever. Especially when--by all indications--we're eventually going to find ourselves outcast, given how high profile we are and how being a half-demon is almost certainly an unpopular thing to be.

At the very least, we can expect to live in Interesting Times. Completely abandoning the advantages and history that was chosen at the start of the game though to chase a build that we have no reason to expect will be easy to master with our current restrictions seems reckless.

Personally, given how we automatically have a type of magic, I'd rather go with the Dark Knight style. Heavy weapon, heavy armor, supplement with spellcraft as needed. One needs no defense against dead or defeated opponents, and many of the foundational skills are things we shouldn't have a problem learning.

Last edited:
[X] - Preternatural Mind Lv. 1

Ability to learn is never bad investment, especially on the beginning of the quest.

Plus, honestly, Victoria needs to be smarter in new world. Mind boost could hive her that.

[X] - Try to calm my emotions. Panicking won't do me any good - I should figure out how I got here from the church, did I black out? How much did I miss?

That's the problem though, you're taking "We should be avoiding close combat like the plague" axiom as a resolved question, despite the fact that our backstory prior to becoming an Isekai Protagonist was literally "Got in fights and was a gangster wannabe" from what I can tell.

By all indications, that's an origin point that encourages a "Get stuck in" build, not one that's all about casting the spells that make the people fall down.
Bro, her life sucked. Her life sucked so fucking bad. Hino Toya needs so many hugs, bubble bathes, and therapy sessions I don't think we have enough arms, water, or days in the year for us to work through it all.
So, here we are in a new world with tons of postitive things and ways for her to improve not just herself, her habit, and her mindstate, like a mother that actually loves her and a sister that exists and wants the best for her.

I think, and this is personally just me, that we should be working on being different than Hino Toya. Happier than Hino Toya. So if Hino Toya was the punchfisty gangster, Victoria Valenmere is the mage who literally never gets hit.

Ehh, that's a fair viewpoint, I don't prefer it, but it's mostly just because I like reading about the juggernaut style over the dodgy or casty person, thematics if you will.

Did my statement say this was the nasuverse? It only provided an example of a one of the many settings where a mage is trained in fighting in hand-to-hand combat because the general consensus of some adversaries may be is a mage is useless in close range so being adept in close range fighting covers that "weakness."
Any perceived weakness is nothing but a strength.

While its perfectly fine to think in terms of potentially have the 4 man RPG squad it won't always be like that and I've always preferred mixed characters. Red Mage is more fun than White or Black. Also we're the main character we'll likely be able to overtake our sister if we wanted to.

I don't want to quote a third thing so:
I'd prefer if we keep remnants of her previous life than completely ignoring it, punching is a decent remnant to keep even if it isn't her go to one in this world.

Ehh, that's a fair viewpoint, I don't prefer it, but it's mostly just because I like reading about the juggernaut style over the dodgy or casty person, thematics if you will.
Understood. I totally get that you want the punchfisty. I'm just arguing against it because I prefer the mage style.

Like Uso said, I thank you, @ComiTurtle and @Spectral Waltz for being so cordial about the debate. <3

Taking a midnight curiosity tally.
Adhoc vote count started by Usotsuki Megami on Dec 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM, finished with 66 posts and 25 votes.

[X] - Regeneration Lv. 1
[X] - My head and heart hurt, this is too much to handle. Will I ever even be me again? Do I even want to be? At times like this, maybe my family will support me.

regeneration! if we can get it to a high level our survivability is likely to skyrocket. i wanted vampiric touch, mostly to see if we could do stuff like steal stat points or skills from other people if we got it to a high enough level, but i don't think people will vote for that.

My problem with vampiric touch is I'm afraid we might get something that we can't turn off. What happens if every time we touch someone, we steal some of their blood/HP/skills/whatever? We'd never be able to hug best sister again.

[X] - Regeneration Lv. 1

[x] - Demonic Evil Eye Lv. 1

[X] - Preternatural Agility Lv. 1

Back