Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire - IT'S OUT

Through the amount of game I played, I never had a victory that was more uplifting than lying to a depressed woman about the magic potion she drank. If you're saying that you can actually start turning things around later than I played, then that all happens at some point after the number of hours I invested, and functionally don't exist as an experience.
You don't have to lie to her you know, that option is marked with a big [Deception] tag and there's other choices to end that quest. You aren't railroaded into being a grimdark liar.

Thanks, I didn't recall that. What were the other options/results?
you can lie and say the potion works and she will pay you money (and major positive disposition with the village), or you can tell her the truth and give her various options on how to go from there, in which case she not only pays you money but also a cloak of protection (as well as moderate positive disposition with the village).

Well the main big overarching plot is that babies are literally born without souls.

Well, personally speaking, this was part of the problem. Telling me that the big problem that needs to be solve is babies being born without souls is like telling me that the world is being threatened because of pop tarts popping too high out of the toaster.

In seriousness, it's the kind of conflict that kind of rests itself on the mechanics of the setting where you don't really know the utilitarian implications of children being born without a soul unless you pay attention to the lore, and any drama being drawn from the lore without it being related to real world experience is weak drama.

Well, personally speaking, this was part of the problem. Telling me that the big problem that needs to be solve is babies being born without souls is like telling me that the world is being threatened because of pop tarts popping too high out of the toaster.

In seriousness, it's the kind of conflict that kind of rests itself on the mechanics of the setting where you don't really know the utilitarian implications of children being born without a soul unless you pay attention to the lore, and any drama being drawn from the lore without it being related to real world experience is weak drama.

I think it's more of an issue with presentation. Like, the game does present that being without a soul is a godawful terrible thing akin to Alzheimer's. But a lot can be lost due to you playing for hours doing something totally unrelated to the main arc and then going back and saying "oh yeah, no souls thing."

Another issue is people going about how important the gods are despite the fact religion doesn't have as strong an influence on the people or the plot. Like for all the problems DA has, religion is absolutely tied into the fabric of society. Other than the odd temple and religious characters or five, I feel that the gods don't matter all that much.

Something, I found, has been fixed almost immediately in PoE2 because Berath, god of death, literally tells you "you will do as I say or I will reincarnate you as a fucking cat" (and refusing this option gets you a non-standard game over). If you fucked over the gods in PoE 1, you feel the presence of it in 2. Piss off Hylea, she will send a horde of birds to shit on your ship. Probably more serious things down the line too.

Something, I found, has been fixed almost immediately in PoE2 because Berath, god of death, literally tells you "you will do as I say or I will reincarnate you as a fucking cat" (and refusing this option gets you a non-standard game over).

Damn i should have tried to ask for the wheel instead of folding like a napkin. Cats are awesome!
---
I find big E's chill attitude and talkativeness refreshing, compared to other gods. "Hush little thing, GODs are talking." Might go with him the first time around. :V

Isn't Legacy basically Genophage-type problem, albeit yet not as large-scale?
Hardly a trifle issue.

There are plenty of reminders, like wights - who are, IIRC, kids into whom animancers had put animal souls FOR SCIENCE - running around in at least hundreds around the countryside. The first time I saw an attack of dozen children which were magic-medically mistreated into being rabid animals, I felt the grimness of the curse quite deeply.
(especially seeing as Gilded Vale probably had less people than countryside of it had wights - a nice way to show, not tell, if that was deliberate)

So Iunno. PoE 1 had issues, but I wouldn't say it mishandled the Hollowborn thing.

lol procs can proc procs

Step 1: Be some kind of monk or monk multiclass. Learn Swift Flurry, which gives you a ~30% chance per crit that you get to attack again instantly with whatever weapon procced the effect.
Step 2: Get Frostseeker from Neketaka overworld map or any other weapon that attacks multiple times (multiple individual attack rolls) with one attack, like a blunderbuss.
Step 3: Note that nothing prevents attacks procced from Swift Flurry proccing more attacks.
Step 4: trollface.jpg

Last edited:
There are plenty of reminders, like wights - who are, IIRC, kids into whom animancers had put animal souls FOR SCIENCE - running around in at least hundreds around the countryside. The first time I saw an attack of dozen children which were magic-medically mistreated into being rabid animals, I felt the grimness of the curse quite deeply.
(especially seeing as Gilded Vale probably had less people than countryside of it had wights - a nice way to show, not tell, if that was deliberate)

This is my main problem with its story though. That at every turn the game has to keep explaining it's lore to tell you what the threat is and why you should care about it. The crazed children is all well and good but its part of a larger chain of flouncy wouncy magic stuff where the story has to constantly explain itself to you. The main quest itself is a giant Matryoshka doll of magic magic magic, magic magic magic magic magic. Oh! The answer was magic all along!

Compare this to Tyranny, where the impetus for the main quest is the edict you deliver to the Archons to get them to stop fucking around get to conquering. Why should you care about the Edict of Execution? Because it'll kill your ass and everyone elses asses fucking dead if you don't solve the problem right now. Well, okay then, that's all I need to hear!

That's not to say that Pillars way, a big fantasy world building puzzle box is inherently bad storytelling, but I didn't feel any hook to get me interested in solving it aside from some really nebulous threat of my character going nuts or something? The main story feels designed to appeal primarily to people who like fantasy for the Magicka world building stuff.

Last edited:
I mean, in a baluder's gate sort of game where you're playing in a wholly made up universe where this is you actual literal first introduction into the world because there's not a body of literature or other media that you can access to feed you setting details so you can achieve immersion sort of requires a ton of exposition. It's not like you can guarentee that a new IP is going to be popular enough to secure funding for a second chapter that allows you to spread the setting details out.

I have to admit I've always loved the details and reading every bit of lore I could find in the Baldur's gate, never winter nights, KOTOR, Ice wind dale and dragon age series of games.

I tend to get more annoyed when there isn't enough lore than too much in RPGs and other games.

I've only just gotten about an hour in so far, and it reminds me of PoE 1 a lot. That's not a bad thing, though I do kinda get what people are saying about a lot of the high-level plot being esoteric, because it certainly comes across that way. The giant footsteps on the world map are a good way to convey the real impact of it to the player...which is good because that appears to be the only way that the impact of the plot is conveyed, so far.

I bought some supplies Maje and then was like "okay that's cool and not so amazing, sailing seems kinda meh" and then sailed to the big city and checked the shipwright and was like "...oooooooh…"

Broke the quest sequence a bit and it now feels weird. Remember not to visit the certain volcano until you have visited the two pirate town and did first two quest for major factions. (Those are the two trade companies, the queen, and pirate.

Anyone else
decide to side with Nemnok for the final battle? He's better than the old gods at least.

Last edited:
So Big E will smash regardless, hope there will be a POE 3 for the aftermath. Maybe play from the preceptive of another watcher? The Gods are still annoying tho, especially the god of beast and competition. His a joke, POE 1 druid turning to Secret god is a bit better.

Just started my playthrough, and I'm waffling on my build. Started with Druid/Barbarian, but I'm thinking I might want to redo that into Druid/Monk. Kinda disappointed in the actual logistics of the Fury, since I wanted it for my melee-focused Thundercat, but it's more focused on range, and is the only spiritshift with a two-handed weapon.

Everyone in the party is jaded and washed up. Except for that one cheerful guy who just wants to look at castles, I guess.
Eder is pretty happy when Sagani is in the party and tries endlessly to pet the fox. Hiravas is the most unrelentingly cheerful person in the game, even if he has an issue of his own. Kana is an energetic academic who's ALL ABOUT archeology. Maneha is a pretty jovial lady if you're not poking her in her specific issue. Zahua is a monk that does ALL THE DRUGS and is pretty chill.

It's unfortunate that a chunk of the grimdark is frontloaded before they give you the lighter NPC's, but they are in there.

Last edited:
Not that Zahua doesn't have his dark issues, but considering they have to do with his history more so than how he acts and only shows up in White March Part 2 for a character that is the first recruit in White March Part 1...

EURGH. I'm not real happy with any of the Druid sub or multiclasses thus far.

In terms of multiclass, there's nothing that really gels with the stock Animist. The thing I liked about Druid was it's big array of options and jack of all trades nature. Any multiclass restricts it's upper tier options in exchange for forcing a focus on one aspect of the druid, be it spellcasting or melee, weakens their spiritshift form, and locks it out of the highest level of Wildstrike ability.

The inability to cast Rejuvenation on a Fury relegates them to a DPS only class, removing a chunk of utility from it. Not to mention the fact that their unique shift has a 2-handed ranged weapon and grants bonus spell range, making it much more about spell slinging instead of tearing things up in melee. Livegiver's inability to Summon is a restriction I'd happily take on, but the addition of -5 power level on Rejuvenation spells after shifting kills it for me, since I prefer to open with a shift. Shifter would be right up my alley since I like to spend as much time in shift as possible - if not for the inability to cast while shifted. That puts some serious constraints on what you can do in combat - especially if you need to pump out a heal NOW. It also pretty much neuters the spell tailor made for shifted druids, Taste of the Hunt. I mean, I guess the heal on deshift is meant to compensate, but I really dislike the constraint.

I'm about to start over again. This time, either as a straight shifter or animist. It's a little frustrating, and I never felt this way about my chosen class in PoE 1.

Huntard with mah bear. It's better then before, loving the spec that buffs each other when you're close by.

The RPG mechanics for PoE 1 were amazingly elegant. No dump stats, every stat is useful. If the game were turn based and didn't take forever to load I'd still be playing it. As is, i haven't been motivated to go back and finish it after my old comp died.

2 looks like it still have all the things i loved and most of the things I hated about 1.

Please tell me they fixed the load times. The pervasive problem with the "load game" screen taking several minutes to load in modern games mystifies me, because Kotor never had this problem. (But PoE and everything from Harebained games does)

Last edited:
The RPG mechanics for PoE 1 were amazingly elegant. No dump stats, every stat is useful. If the game were turn based and didn't take forever to load I'd still be playing it. As is, i haven't been motivated to go back and finish it after my old comp died.

2 looks like it still have all the things i loved and most of the things I hated about 1.

Please tell me they fixed the load times. The pervasive problem with the "load game" screen taking several minutes to load in modern games mystifies me, because Kotor never had this problem. (But PoE and everything from Harebained games does)

Like, going in and out of buildings and such?

Like, going in and out of buildings and such?

No i mean the literal load screen you go to to load a save. It takes too long, and if you have a lot of save it can take like upwards of 6 minutes, IME. Shadowrun and Btech have the same problem, which bugs me because no pre-2010 game i have has such an issue. kotor loads quickly, despite every save having an attached screenshot.

Back