No, it's not. One is playing with other people's toys somewhere where those other creators are not, where they are not forced to acknowledge what you're doing. The other is shitting in the same playground you grabbed the toys from.
Time to write a fanfic on SV about a fanfic written on Ao3 then I guess.

I honestly don't think you have to go that far. Writing a fic on AO3 that is inspired or even a continuation of a fic there is fine. It's just that actually being able to claim the previous work as your own that gets super weird.

There's literally a function, on AO3, to say that the stuff you're posting has been inspired by another fic. Recursive fics are a thing. The problem is "claiming a work as yours".

There's literally a function, on AO3, to say that the stuff you're posting has been inspired by another fic. Recursive fics are a thing. The problem is "claiming a work as yours".
Sure, I'd agree with that. However, I remember reading statements on more than one ff.net profile, that forbade writing fanfics of their fanfics, or taking ideas from their stories to write an original fanfic.

"I'm allowed to write fanfics about what ever I want; nobody is allowed to write fanfics about my stuff" is definitely an attitude that was (at least for a time) while not necessarily common, definitely not super rare. Which I always found pretty weird and hypocritical.

The only hypocrisy in which I engage is don't touch my OCs. Other than that I genuinely do not care.

"I'm allowed to write fanfics about what ever I want; nobody is allowed to write fanfics about my stuff" is definitely an attitude that was (at least for a time) while not necessarily common, definitely not super rare. Which I always found pretty weird and hypocritical.
It's certainly a very entitled attitude to take. "Rules for thee but not for me" indeed.

Inspired by a peggy sue fic I tried out recently before dropping; otherwise rational characters accepting an absurd premise immediately. As weird as waking up somewhere you no longer live with people talking about an upcoming event you already lived through is, most characters should not immediately come to the conclusion that they were sent back in time because they wished on a star—versus assuming it's some sort of cruel prank by their horrible acquaintances or even that they're having a psychotic break. At least give them some time to explore before coming to that conclusion or some sort of outside prompting that the absurd conclusion is the correct one.

Inspired by a peggy sue fic I tried out recently before dropping; otherwise rational characters accepting an absurd premise immediately. As weird as waking up somewhere you no longer live with people talking about an upcoming event you already lived through is, most characters should not immediately come to the conclusion that they were sent back in time because they wished on a star—versus assuming it's some sort of cruel prank by their horrible acquaintances or even that they're having a psychotic break. At least give them some time to explore before coming to that conclusion or some sort of outside prompting that the absurd conclusion is the correct one.

Take your phone, check the date according to the internet...boom, time-travel confirmed.

Weirdly enough, time travel honestly seems like a more likely explanation to me than the idea that someone managed to abduct me from my own bed, transport me hundreds of miles to a previous place of residence and then rope dozens of people (most of them complete strangers to each other) into pretending that it is somehow the year 2001 again. Really, there just isn't anyone who can actually do that. It's logistically unfeasible, nevermind incredibly illegal due to the breaking-and-entering and days-long sedation that would be required to set it all up.

"I must be dreaming/hallucinating" never seems to me like it's a reasonable thing for someone to think, either. Practically by default, one of the most defining qualities of dreams is that you don't question the things you experience while you are dreaming. Hallucinating does not feel anything like being rational and fully awake, either. You might not be able to recognize that you are not in your right mind while experiencing them, but if you look back on it in retrospect, there would be no way for you to mistake the experience for something actually real.

It's okay when it's depicted as the character being in a panicked denial about their situation, but it does bother me when it's presented as something that anyone would actually believe. "I must be in a coma and imagining all this" is the kind of conclusion you could really only ever come to if you have literally never slept in your entire life.

It also depends on how far back you are going. Like, the original Peggy Sue went back decades if I'm remembering correctly. That would make it a lot easier to reach the conclusion that something really bizarre is happening.

Last edited:
Weirdly enough, time travel honestly seems like a more likely explanation to me than the idea that someone managed to abduct me from my own bed, transport me hundreds of miles to a previous place of residence and then rope dozens of people (most of them complete strangers to each other) into pretending that it is somehow the year 2001 again. Really, there just isn't anyone who can actually do that. It's logistically unfeasible, nevermind incredibly illegal due to the breaking-and-entering and days-long sedation that would be required to set it all up.
Don't forget all of the incredible medical care, to reverse any injuries, growth or body modifications (such as piercings or tattoos) you've undergone in that time.

Don't forget all of the incredible medical care, to reverse any injuries, growth or body modifications (such as piercings or tattoos) you've undergone in that time.
Also that, yeah. I broke my leg a while ago and still have metal plates and screws stuck inside my bones, so suddenly no longer being able to feel those through my skin would be quite the trick, considering that it took full anaesthesia and a lengthy operation to actually put them there.

Personally I'm usually put off by the absolute hard-line demands for an instant explanation when it isn't really needed.
Maybe you don't believe in magic/time travel/honest politicians or whatever, but do you really need to stop and demand proof in the middle of a completely unrelated fight for your life?
Even more when you know for a fact that it's impossible for them to present real proof at that time.

More practically you should roll with it, without committing too heavily, then look over the proof when you have a chance.

Then, after demanding proof in the worse moment possible, and getting really crappy "proof", they never return to it because the question was "resolved."
So far that theory may have been working, but you really need to do some testing before shooting yourself in the head to return home.

I write OCs so people can't accuse me of character assassination, not to torture them (exclusively, anyway).

It depends on why a story gets taken down by the author for me. If it's for spelling/basic story structure being of a lwoer quality than currently, that's not a good reason. That makes people t hink we all just start out as good as we ever get. So many of us have no idea about all the pieces authors published but never got popular, that's basically what our early fanfic is, the stuff we did before our big break.

But if it's because the work has out dated information that could cause harm, I'm way more understanding about that getting taken down. If I write a story about a bunch of animal survival tactics and then I learn most of those "facts" have been corrected since I learned them, I'd probably take that kind of thing down. Or If I wrote a story about an urban legend, only for the news to reveal the true story was completely opposite, I might take that down. If I realized a past work I created was full of past predjudices I held and can now identify, I'm probably taking that down.

This has probably been said before, but why is 90% of fanfic shipping stuff even for stories in which no one is shown to be in a relationship even once? I do not care that the actor is hot, if you're writing fanfic for a fantasy, a horror story or a murder mystery in which the motive was not jealousy, there are no married couples and no one is mentioned as having a SO then adding a ship is missing the entire point.

This has probably been said before, but why is 90% of fanfic shipping stuff even for stories in which no one is shown to be in a relationship even once? I do not care that the actor is hot, if you're writing fanfic for a fantasy, a horror story or a murder mystery in which the motive was not jealousy, there are no married couples and no one is mentioned as having a SO then adding a ship is missing the entire point.
I think you gravely underestimate how many stories feature side couples.

Like, at the moment I can't even think of a fantasy franchise that doesn't include some sort of character shown in a relationship. Even Touhou, which for all of its shipping community is a pretty darn aromantic franchise, has two characters who were married as part of their backstory (Junko & Seiga) and two minor characters who are currently married (the Watatsuki sisters).

As for why add a romance to a romanceless horror-story? Well, chances are that the horror story that got popular enough to get fanfics written about it did horror so well that no fanfic writer feels the need to expand on that aspect of the story. So instead they look to the elements of the story that were less developed and thus have room for amateur writers to practice their craft without immediately getting compared to the one thing everbody in the fandom agrees is great. Such as the possibility of romance between the characters.

It also helps that romance is both one of the most common of all genres and one of the most common subplots, meaning that literally everybody has been exposed to an excess of romance plots and thus have at least a vague idea of how to they're supposed to go.

Back