Pale Queen (Worm/Hollow Knight)

When they did find her, in precogged timelines, nothing happened at all. Or at least no indication from Taylor that there was anything beyond "stuck in isolated PRT containment and forgotten about". Could be just Taylor not going further down the scenario, or maybe it just couldn't happen.

Cauldron is not very reliable, and making them omnipotent and omniscient just takes fun away. Most likely Taylor's precog is real, absolute, trumping everyone's else.

Also, dream realm means magic! And souls. Oh and void, hah. Wonder how long it will take Taylor to get into soul magic, or her bugs.

Also hope author is not going to just magically drop in canon HK characters without either a lot of explaination as to how the hell, or just as reference for readers to chuckle at. When fanfics import canon character despite their entire culture and people developing completely differently, it gets really annoying. With some exceptions, very rare ones.

Also confused about the size of bugs here.. around 5-10cm for Taylor and others?
Taylor didn't look any farther after seeing herself getting locked up by the PRT in worm form. If she had chosen to follow the route to that future, she would have eventually proven her ability to tell the future to the PRT, but she didn't check that far ahead.

Also, for the sake of preserving the story somewhat, she is immune to PtV, and is hard to predict for most other precogs as well.

Taylor's precognition works on magic, rather than on quantum organic computers across multiple earths or whatever, so hers is more accurate, and isn't blind to anything, limited only by how long she is willing to search into the future, and what questions she asks of it.

I am not currently planning on dropping any directly canon HK characters into the story, but there will be expies.

How small are Taylor and her subjects? Inches?
Taylor is about two inches tall. Most of the bugs range from being 1-3 inches tall, with some exceptions being bigger, and some being smaller.
, and at the three groups, I've put together.

my bugs are far stronger and have far more stamina than humans.

And the final group was my fighters. Each of them was carrying a needle,

But as a bug, if you removed the Not only did they have

and too unwieldy for me to use.

"Is everyone ready?" I ask.

where we would have come across a barrier of light and then stopped.

I turned a corner and came to one last air-duct.

"We'll come to get you when it's over."

I urged us forwards into the last stretch of the hallway before the gymnasium

Part of the problem with my particular brand of precognition is that I only get images.

that I had just killed a person or the way it felt on my hand because three more tackled

I shook off the sudden feeling of revulsion and kept on doing the same thing.

Then, I leaped forwards with a speed that surprised me and jabbed the spear towards it.

"You have intruded," they said in a deep voice.

"The ones from the same kinds of cocoons you came out of."

They cannot, will not after they are eaten.

Although this particular prophecy comes more from my experience as a human

and my roaches were getting tenser, holding their weapons closer to themselves.

I close my eyes and look to the future.
and they take it and leap away into the darkness.

Nearly a hundred beetles, maggots, and moths,

I see the spiders are jerks, that's unchanged.
Can bugs trigger? If so, will the powers work in different ways?
Do you plan to have interludes with the perspectives of other characters?
Will there be major, named bug characters?
What will the bugs build their cities out of?
Will there be Mosskin and Shrumal?
Good chapter, Keep going, You're doing good.
Thanks for helping me with all this grammar stuff.

I'm debating about whether or not bugs can trigger. I don't see any reason why they can't, if Dragon can, but I haven't planned for it to happen yet. They do have other powers, though. Snails are able to use Soul to do various things, spiders are able to weave together barriers, shields, and seals, moths are able to see the imprints of memories and have some access to the dream world, the filterflies (Mosskin) are able to encourage plants to grow more than they should/are capable of growing in their current conditions.

I am planning for there to be interludes with various other characters, both bug and human.

There will be major bug characters, later on. Right now, most of them are following Taylor's lead in the lack of any other direction, but as time passes, and we meet bugs that had to figure out their first steps without Taylor (like the spiders, for instance) we'll see bugs with more agency of their own.

They will build things from trash, mostly. Whatever they can scavenge until Taylor starts to gain more power in the non-bug world and order things to be constructed for her.

If you check "Types of Bugs" under Informational, you'll see that I have included the Mosskin as Filter-flies. Filter-flies are real bugs that are very common to sewers, that remind me in many ways of the Mosskin. They possess moth-like antenna and fuzzy bodies without actually being moths, they are herbivorous, they are found in warm, wet, areas that are good for growing algae, lichen, moss, etc.

I currently have no plans for the Shrumals. Maybe they'll pop up later down the line, but I'm not sure yet.

So now all I'm wondering about is how void, life blood and all the other magicy things will be handled
Void is a spoiler for now but will feature in the story, life blood I have no plans for, and the other types of magic will be more important later on. We've already seen a little bit of magic in the form of the seals that the spiders put down in order to keep bugs from entering their territory through the vents.

I'm debating about whether or not bugs can trigger. I don't see any reason why they can't, if Dragon can, but I haven't planned for it to happen yet.
That experience of being captured and going to be eaten would definitely be a PTSD event, especially since they are all basically children right now, which is basically what Trigger events are but with a shitty door prize.
I would say it'd depend. The Shards are tailored for human infestation not bugs so unless their grey matter is distinctly human then they would likely be a blind spot. Unless someone else gets a Queen Administrator with bug control.
That my thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Taylor should have genocided the spider people. Spiders are basically the Nazi's of the insect world; every one hates them. Gross nasty spiders.

I hope they can't trigger. It's more interesting if they can't, since they have their own powers and abilities. Shards should look right by them, if Taylor is basically immune to pre-cogs due to what she was/is, then how were created should also shield them somewhat so the Shards would consider them just ordinary insects and not part of the Host species.

Sewer 1.6
"Thank you," the maggot moans, clinging to my side, "Thank you so mu-uh-uuch!"

"You're welcome, " I say again.

"You were the light, weren't you? In the locker! I knew you'd come back for us," he shook his head, "I- the weavers- they-" the maggot eventually stopped trying to explain, and simply returned to sobbing. Without much else to do, I stay there and lightly pat the back of his soft head and sigh, watching as the other bugs are pulled free from their web prisons.

The moths were transfixed on me and seemed to be mostly silent, both when they were wrapped up, and now when they were free. Some of them at the urging of other bugs began to help in untying others, but others simply watched me. The beetles were the most numerous of the group, to my surprise, and the most willing to help when asked. Already some of them had rushed back with the cockroaches to get the rest of my initial group to return with our loot.

"We have everyone free now," Ferrous informs me soon.

"Good. Then I guess it's time to make our return trip," I look down to the maggot, and then look to the pipe I had bitten a way into. I pulled the maggot into my arms, before walking over to the drain, "There are bugs on the bottom, waiting for you."

He turns in my arms and stares into the deep, dark, hole.

"Um."

I set him down, and take a leap to the nearest wall. I scale up the wall, keeping a hand and foot rooted in the space between tiles, before reaching the knob. I climb onto it and then begin to jump up and down on it, making it shift with each impact.

Eventually, water began to spill out of the showerhead, and a good few dozen of the bugs let out cries of alarm as the tiles below start getting hit by splashes of water droplets. The maggot, already close to the drain, is soaked in an instant and looks up to me in betrayal.

"Follow the current," I say, "Treat it like a waterslide. You'll reach the sewer soon."

The maggot hesitates for a few more seconds, before giving me a determined nod, and braving the water droplet splashes all around him, jumped into the hole.

"Who next?" Ferrous shouts.

Another few maggots separate from the crowd and throw themselves into the drain as well, vanishing away. After that, a continuous stream of bugs began to file in and drop down. As the rest of my initial group returns carrying their supplies, I have them join in guiding bugs down the drain, even handing over items for them to carry down.

When the room was almost empty of bugs the spiders began to leave their hiding spots as well. I watched them from my perch on the shower's knob, but none of them moved to attack the remaining bugs.

The one holding my spear is familiar, and has clearly taken charge of the group. It was primarily made up of the tiny spherical spiders, those numbering maybe fifty or sixty in number, with six other humanoid ones like the spear-wielder. Following them, only willing to leave once the only bugs left above the drain were them and I, was a single spider larger than all the others. Their face alone was only slightly shorter than I was tall, and their large body was entirely swathed in silk cloth.

I jumped up and down one last time, increasing the flow of water, and then dropped down myself.

"Are you ready?" I ask the group.

The humanoid one that took my needle quickly crossed the space between us, and gave a deep bow, "As soon as you are, Pale one. Lead away."

I turned towards the pipe as well, and stepped under the shower of water, shuddering as I was immediately soaked. As soon as I got down to the sewer, it would be warm again. I just needed to remember that. I walked up to the edge of the hole, and took a step off of it into the pipe.

The drop is a long one, for a bug, but not harmful considering how little we weigh. As soon as I hit the bottom, I'm swept up along the stream of water and carried along until I'm pushed over another sudden drop. Then, I'm carried forwards faster as more water is poured into my current pipe from a bunch of other connections. Despite what I was thinking, this isn't a water slide at all. Water slides don't push you so fast you hit the opposite wall hard enough to catch you off guard, or send you off of sudden drops where you end up upside-down in the next stretch of the current.

At least it's over relatively quickly. Less than thirty seconds later, I'm sent flying out of a waterfall and into the muck of the sewer proper.

I'm dragged from where I landed by two filter flies, and after I thank them I start brushing myself off and looking around at the state of things. The new bugs were clustered together on one side, taking in their new home with an understandable level of trepidation. And not too long after I'm pulled out spiders start dropping down. The filter flies don't seem to mind pulling them out of the water, even when more and more of the tiny ones start spilling out.

As for the supplies from Winslow, it seems that they made the journey out okay as well. I see a few beetles laying out all the Popsicle sticks along one wall to dry off, and cockroaches piling up all the snack bags and rubber bands we grabbed. The spools of thread were being carried over to one of the flat segments of the sewer underneath a light.

And the needles... were already being distributed. To other cockroaches, and cockroaches only.

"Hey!" I shout to one of the bugs I caught int he act "Pile them up first, by the wall with the other things that have been scavenged," I looked out over the sewer, and spotted another doing the same, "You too!"

"I grabbed them," he protested, "These are mine. I should get to say who we give them to."

"We're distributing supplies as a group. I have a plan for these. Don't worry, you and your friends will still get needles," but it wouldn't just be his friends.

He stood up straighter and seemed to glare at me, but as a few other bugs turned to look at the two of us, he faltered, breaking eye contact and slumping slightly, "Fine." he and the other cockroaches carrying needles began to take them to the wall as well, looking for a good spot to set them down.

By the time I'm done, the last of the spiders have dropped down, and were fished out by the filter flies, and have found their own little segment of the sewer, separate from any other groups of bugs, and sat down to dry. Some of the tiny ones even pulling off their silk coats and shaking the moisture from them. Revealing the little black segment of the body where the limbs connected to their oversized heads in the process.

As I watch, the spider who had claimed my needle pulled their cloak off as well, and... I'm pretty certain I can call them 'her' now. There's a slightly feminine shape to their more humanoid body that was hidden under the cloak. On instinct, I turn around, averting my eyes. Most of the bugs here are naked, but seeing one that wasn't becoming naked feels a little like peeking, somehow. Instead, I choose to focus on the progress the ones who stayed behind have made. The piles of scavenged materials have grown significantly. Even more mittens have been added, ready to be made into more cloaks, and it seems that somehow they've found an entire scarf as well. The leaf pile has grown into a veritable leaf hill, and the number of plastic bottles, plastic bags, newspapers, and shiny snack bags have grown so numerous they're overflowing off of the flat areas they were placed.

We have a lot to work with. Even more than I had imagined, after spotting a few lighters mixed in among the plastic bottles.

But even if there was a huge amount of progress in the hours I've been gone, that's definitely slowed. The majority of the bugs have curled up either by themselves or as groups and were just... sleeping. Others were more active, having conversations, eating scum from the walls, or still busily adding things to the piles.

I look over the bugs I brought into Winslow in a new light, and see that they're definitely not as energized as they were when they first went up.

I didn't feel tired but to carry on without giving the bugs time to rest would be inconsiderate.

Pulling off my soggy cloak, I let the full force of my light shine through the tunnel, gathering the attention of all, and unfortunately waking up a good number of those asleep, "We've brought back supplies and food," I announce, "As well as bugs from inside Winslow. Be sure to treat them courteously, they've been through a lot of trouble in the last few hours. Thank you for doing so well in gathering materials while we were gone. For now, everyone please take this chance to rest, and to eat," I look to the Winslow group, "As the ones who risked the snow and an unfamiliar place for that food you have the first choice of it. Everything else will be distributed among everyone here."

That got some cheerful noises, if not actual cheers.

"In a few hours, we'll begin construction of our transportation. And I'll tell you my plans for reaching our nest site. Until then, please take some time to rest."

Last edited:
The moths were transfixed on me and seemed to be mostly silent,

He turns in my arms and stares into the deep, dark, hole.

keeping a hand and foot rooted in the space between tiles,

I climb onto it and then begin to jump up and down on it,

After that, a continuous stream of bugs began to file in and dropdown.

The one holding my spear is familiar and has clearly taken charge of the group.

The drop is a long one, for a bug, but not harmful considering how little we weigh.

I'm swept up along the stream of water and carried along

As for the supplies from Winslow, it seems that they made the journey out okay as well. I

He stood up straighter and seemed to glare at me,

Revealing the little black segment of the body where the limbs connected

There's a slightly feminine shape to their more humanoid body

curled up either by themselves or as groups and were just... sleeping.

Be sure to treat them courteously, they've been through a lot of trouble in the last few hours.

you have the first choice of it. Everything else will be distributed among everyone here."

That got some cheerful noises, if not actual cheers.

Good chapter.

Interlude Fire.1
She was startled awake at the presence of another light. A different light than the one she had gotten used to. The moth jumped to her feet, and she wasn't the only one.

Hundreds of bugs turned towards the new source of illumination, and stared in utter confusion.

"Oh!" the voice of their creator rung out. She stared out across the group, and the moth flinched as her gaze passed over her in the process. The largest opening in her cloak was for her face, and thus whatever she looked at was lit up like a spotlight. If you had the creator's attention, you knew it, and everyone else knew it too.

It was different from the fizzling yellow illumination of the sewer wall bulbs, or the beguiling and unpredictable ever-shifting glow of the outside world from the storm drains. Their creator's pale light was pure. It was powerful. It was a gift, every second of it. And when their creator in an act of kindness, made an attempt to stop overwhelming them by covering herself with a cloak, she invented a fourth kind of light. A filtered, warm, light.

Now, she had invented a fifth kind.

This one was red and orange, and flickered, similar to the yellow lights on the walls, but... slower. It changed with the breeze, not according to its own whim.

"Sorry," their creator said, "I didn't mean to wake anyone up. I was just testing to see if it worked."

Their creator reached up, clicked the metal cap of the plastic thing she was carrying, and the fifth light vanished. The moth met the eyes of one of her own kind, and he nodded in agreement with her silent sentiment. He was sorry to see it go as well. The moth spread her wings, and fluttered closer. Their creator had already answered her questions when she dared to ask, but not many bugs were as brave as she was.

"Um, miss?"

"Oh! You again." the creator's face turned towards her directly, and the moth stared into it. The light filled her vision, only interrupted by their creator's deep black eyes. Their creator's mouth was not visible, but those eyes were expressive. She recognized her, and was happy to be addressed. Good.

"Can you bring that light back?" she asked, hopefully.

"...In a bit," the creator said, looking up at it, "When it's time to start construction. That it works means that we have even more options than before."

Building things with light.

"What is it called?"

"This?"

"Yeah."

"...What do you think it's called?" the creator asked.

She thought about it for a few seconds, "Fire."

"That's right," she said, "It's a little strange that you recognize some things by name, but others take more prodding."

"I... think it's that I never saw it before," the moth answered, "I've seen storm drains, and light bulbs, and leaves and plastic bags and all that stuff before. But I've never seen fire."

"Interesting," the creator said, before turning away from her, and illuminating the pile of plastic bottles once again. She set the fire-maker, no. No, that had a name too. The lighter, to the side, and fished another one out of the pile. She flicked it as well, and after a few sparks, a new fire was created, "Good, we have another one."

She set that next to the other.

Feeling invigorated, the moth fluttered over the pile, and grabbed another one. She tried to lift it into the air, but it was too heavy, so she instead settled for tugging it over. Once it was away from the rest of the plastic, she watched the creator as she spun the metal wheel on the top. Sparks were made, and after that followed a flame. The moth mimicked it- and made a flame of her own.

"Good. That one works too. Now put it out."

"But-" she had created a light. She, the moth! And she was supposed to just destroy it?

"You're burning fuel," the creator chided, stepping closer. The moth pulled it away, but the creator simply reached out, and took a hold of it, "please. If you're not careful, you could get hurt."

How could she possibly-

AGH!

The creator yanked the lighter away, turning off the flame, but it didn't matter, because there still was a flame. On the moth's antenna. And it burned. Oh dear it burned.

The creator moved quickly, reaching out towards the moth's antenna, and closing her hands around the tip that had strayed too close to the flame. Immediately the heat lessened, and the moth sighed in relief, collapsing to her knees.

"Fire spreads," the creator said, getting to her knees too, "I'm sorry. You didn't know that, I wasn't thinking. Are you alright?"

Was she?

"It... it still hurts."

"I- I don't know how to heal you," the creator said sadly, "For now, how about you get some rest? Okay?" she led the moth away from the plastic pile slowly, keeping her hands in her own, and towards the cloth pile. She pulled away part of a mitten, and patted it. The moth hesitated, but sat down, and found it... softer than the stretch of wall she had claimed for herself.

"I'm sorry," the moth said, "I should have listened."

"It's fine. We're all still learning," she said quietly, "Me just as much as you guys," she said even quieter.

The moth watched as the creator looked up at her ruined antenna, before sighing, and pulling away to look out over the various bugs inhabiting this stretch of sewer. The light that represented her gaze settling on the largest newcomer group. The ones wearing cloaks of their own. She made her way to them quickly, and began speaking with the only one of their number to carry a needle.

Then, she began to walk back to where the moth sat, the other bug following behind.

"She's here to help," the creator informed, before narrowing her eyes into a glare directed at them, "Right?"

"Correct," the other bug stated. She reached inside somewhere in her cloak, and pulled free a line of nearly-invisible thread, and then reached up to wrap the ruined tip of one of her antenna in silk. The contact stung at first, but eventually... numbed.

"Thank you," the moth said, amazed, "it doesn't hurt any more."

"Good," the creator said, before looking at the spider, "Was that... like the barrier you made in the lockers? And the vents?"

"No. Those were spells. This is simply the nature of our thread, and our venom."

"Venom?"

"Only a tiny touch. Dulls the senses, but does not kill. The moth is not in danger, so little is used. She can still move," the bug turned towards her, looking down at her with all six eyes, "Correct?"

The moth stood up, to prove her right, "Yeah, I feel fine. Just... less in pain."

"...Good," the creator said to the other bug, "Thank you."

"Then the favor that is owed."

"Yes, I know," she said, "and feel free to spread around to the other spiders that I'm offering the same deal to all of you."

The spider, apparently, nodded, and began to walk back to its fellows, while the creator turned back to her, "Have you thought of a name for yourself, by any chance?"

"No," the moth replied.

"Think about it," the creator commanded. With that, she moved back towards the plastic pile.

The moth sat there for a time, feeling mystified. She had gone against the creator, had been injured for the first time since gaining intelligence as a result, and then the creator had brought her to rest somewhere soft, and offered a favor to the spider for the moth's sake. Just to make the moth stop hurting.

She didn't know what to make of it. It was too much. All just for her? Would the creator do that for any bug? Or was she special? The only thing the creator left to the moth to do in exchange was think of a name for herself.

Well.

Her name would be Fire. It would be how she would remember this.

Fire stood up, and looked over at the plastic pile again. She was still tired, to be honest. Part of her wanted to just lie down and fall asleep on the cloth, but at the same time she wanted to try and make it up to the creator in some way. She didn't know what kind of favor she owed the spiders now. But she wanted to make sure it was worth it. She fluttered back over to the pile, only to stop when she saw a light floating in the air nearby where she was burned.

As she moved close to the light, she found that it was a tiny glowing circle, hovering in the air. A sixth kind of light. When she turned around she saw that nobody was looking towards it, unlike when the creator first made the flame.

Fire looked for a name, like the creator asked her to with the fire and the lighter.

Eventually, one came. The sixth light was Essence.

Fire reached out and took it. As soon as she touched the Essence, the mandala of light vanished into her body. And she knew, deeply, that she would never forget this moment. She waited for the energy that was now surging through her to abide, and then continued on towards the plastic pile, to look for more lighters.

Last edited:
Types of Bugs 2
Many of them got their start in the locker, and quickly were captured by spiders once their intelligence set in. Small and somewhat weak, these beetles make up for it by being dedicated to their jobs, their sheer determination. Due to the first of them being saved from the spiders by Taylor, they are incredibly devoted to her.

A herbivorous variety of beetle with excellent senses. About as strong and durable as a sewer beetle once they've transformed, they make for good farmers, though they don't have the same type of magical green thumb as the filter flies.

A carnivorous variety of beetle, they've taken well to farming as well. Their favorite prey, aphids, are just as much a pest to bug farmers as they are to human ones, after all.

The best fliers bar none among bugs, with unparalleled speed and agility in the air. Similar in many ways to the mantid tribe, Dragonflies are natural warriors and hunters. Unlike the mantids, they don't base their entire identity around combat ability, and don't have much of a hierarchy to speak of. They tend to take a very mercenary approach when interacting with other bugs, including their own species. Very professional with a strong sense of honor, once hired, they'll risk their lives for the sake of completing a mission.

A type of bug with a strong shell and enormously powerful arms, possessing grip strength allowing it to hold in place animals much larger than itself. Able to hunt things like frogs and fish even before the change, they have since become creatures able to take out a human single-handed even in a fair fight. Despite this power, they tend to be solitary bugs without interest in Taylor's civilization or running bandit gangs. Focusing simply on a simple life of hunting and caring for their families.

Possessing a sharp stinger and a good instinct for battle, wasps tend to form into small territorial clans, laying stake to an area and furiously harassing anyone who comes near, and are somewhat fearless, willing to attack even humans without much hesitation should they come too close to a place they've claimed as their own. That said, they are easily appeased by gifts or offers of assistance or respect of their boundaries, and are quite trustworthy and once you've earned that trust. They have a talent for making and shaping paper that no other bugs possess, able to create structures, weapons, and tools out of paper.

Having lost the ability to fly in their transformation into new humanoid forms, they've made up for it by using their newfound intelligence to become better at ambushes than a robber fly has ever been before. Luckily, rather than using those ambushes to hunt other intelligent bugs, they now focus on stealing supplies. When hired to steal from humans, they make for excellent scavengers able to sneak in and out of dwellings and secure specific objects, but when turned against their fellow bugs, they make for especially irritating bandits.

Having lost the ability to both fly and produce light after their transformation into becoming a humanoid, many of them wonder whether they should try to get their species' name changed. Despite the loss of their primary mode of communication from when they were unintelligent, they still possess the same instinct for it, and have taken a kind of role as couriers and messengers, enjoying going from place to place and spreading information.

A totally herbivorous bug, after their transformation they've grown in size significantly, and have a species-wide fascination with sewing and craftsmanship, possibly due to the way they carefully ate the 'meat' of plant leaves without damaging its overall structure when they were unintelligent insects.

Large and powerful, a handful of them were touched by Taylor's light when she slithered along the seashore from one drain pipe to another. Since then, they've become something of the bosses of the seashore, each one declaring a piece of territory their own, and ruling over the other bugs there. Their claws are very sharp, and they have a kind of speed that seems impossible for a 'bug' of their size.

The 'commoners' of the seashore, they've formed into groups working under the mantis shrimp. Having grown too large from their transformation to stay in their snail shells any longer, they've had to start covering their bodies with bits of garbage to protect themselves.

Last edited:
Only the second picture is there.
ya....all of the pics are busted.
The Weevil picture is the only one that shows up. The rest are broken.
probably because i still cant see them
Okay, it should work now. I downloaded the images to my computer, and then uploaded them to imgur, and then put them back into the post.

I haven't had a chance to finish up Hollow Knight yet. Didnt get very far and had to stop when I canceled my Xbox Game pass.

But what I did play was filled with some of the most imaginative and fun designs that I had seen and the feeling of the world reminded me of the eery bleakness of Dark Souls, only tinged with meloncholy instead of just pure sorrow.

Reading this reminds me a little bit of that feeling only with a spark of hope and curiosity for what will happen as the civilization of bugs grows and thrives.

Wonder if we will ever see Pale Taylor interact with any humans in the furture. Ususally when it comes to settings like Worm it is a good idea to stick to some of the canon characters, but I do think that having some OC characters, i.e. normal humans, might be a good idea. Just a thought. Watched.

Sewer 1.7
After the incident with the moth unfortunately named Fire, I've decided to add 'healers' to the list of things to investigate. Although I'm not sure about how far we'll get. My humanoid bugs are utterly unique creatures. Even if we found a veterinarian specialized in small animals, I don't know how much would be familiar to them. It might be that for the time being, the best we can do with wounds is bandage them up and hope they'll heal on their own.

Another thing on the list are the unique abilities the spiders have shown, and whether the other bugs have anything similar.

The way that the lead spider described her barriers as 'spells' concerned me. It meant that basically all spiders had a parahuman ability to create barriers. And with the way I've seen the plantlife nearby the filter fly groups specifically grow thicker and greener and more vibrant, they're not the only ones with special powers. It leaves me wondering if every species of bug has their own unique power associated with them. And if so, what were moths? Snails? Roaches? The different types of beetles?

Part of me wants to stay and help the bugs experiment, learn more about what they can do, but I'm on a time-table. The longer I spend here, the more bugs will wake up down the tunnel without my guidance.

Already, while the other bugs slept, a few bugs that hatched from the cocoons further down the tunnel had ventured out from their home and come across our group.

We needed to get moving. So it was about time we got to work on the transportation.

Of the thousand or so bugs in this first stretch of sewer, realistically only half of them would want to leave. Due to my foresight, I knew this was going to be more-or-less true all the way down. Most of the filter flies who lived off of the moss and algae wouldn't see any reason to leave areas where their preferred food grew. A lot of the cockroaches and maggots wouldn't either, content to continue just living off of the land beside them. But almost all the sewer beetles, moths, snails, and Winslow bugs we rescued would follow.

So... give or take six hundred bugs, repeating, every couple dozen yards. My civilization would outnumber the human population of Brockton Bay far before I reached the end, and those who chose to live apart from my group would outnumber even them.

One boat wasn't going to cut it. Anything big enough to carry even just the starting six hundred of us would be too heavy to float in the relatively shallow water. I was thinking a series of miniature pontoon boats traveling in a long unbroken line like a caravan. For each one, I was thinking a matching pair of water bottles, tied together to a platform of a few Popsicle sticks, or even just regular sticks once we ran out. This platform would be covered with a tarp of ripped up plastic bags heated with flame in certain spots to glue it to the sticks. Each boat would be tied at the front and the back to the previous and next boats in line. Strong bugs with long oars would push the caravan forwards all along the line.

They were simple boats. Extremely simple boats. But ones that would work, and ones we could build. For larger water bottles, we could use rubber bands to hold them to the Popsicle sticks, for smaller ones, we could just bind them with thread. And thanks to the spiders, our supply of thread can be replenished without need for unraveling lost mittens.

More than that, we would send scouts ahead carrying spools of thread who would know how to build these simple boats. They could recruit freshly-hatched bugs, and get them started on scavenging supplies to build ones of their own once they met the caravan.

Bugs could take shifts, alternating between resting, scouting, gathering food, gathering materials, building boats, and rowing those boats.

While the bugs were sleeping, I had already set up the materials for the first five or six boats with only Fire's help. With the help of everyone that planned on coming along, and the amount of supplies we have, I'm sure we could build another dozen.

I wait until a good number of the bugs are awake, and seem to have finished eating, before jumping up and flaring my light.

"Everyone!" I announce, "If I could have your attention. I'm about to show you what we're going to do with those supplies you've worked so hard to gather. I need volunteers to assist me."

Ferrous immediately moves up, as does Fire, despite her clear exhaustion. More bugs start moving as well, from maggots and little carrion beetles rescued from Winslow, to their larger sewer beetle cousins.

And then, I begin showing them how to put together a boat. Making sure the bottles have a cap, or at least a plastic cover secured by thread or a rubber band. Tying the sticks to the bottles. Connecting the plastic bags to the sticks- melting them immediately turned out to be a bad foul-smelling idea, so we're just sticking with more thread -and then pushing the first boat into the muck, and out into the water. It floated beautifully, and could support the weight of a few dozen moths who settled down on it from above without any signs of trouble.

All in all, it took about an hour and a half. But we were just working on one.

Soon, I began leading them to building the second boat, while Fire took charge of another at the same time. This time, with more bugs helping, and a better idea of how the parts go together, two of them took only an hour. Ferrous and a few other bugs who helped with the first three took the lead on the next few, and once the spiders started joining in production really ramped up with their clever and liberal use of thread to simply glue things together. Soon, the stretch of sewer I had been calling my home for the last few days was practically lined with with boats.

Now came the hard part, "Everyone! I know some of you will want to stay here. I am not forcing anyone to follow me," I'll have enough bugs to accomplish my goals by the end the journey there, regardless, "But anyone who wishes to follow me, tell me now. It will be a long time before we can send anyone back, if ever."

Bugs began to whisper among themselves, and I watched as divisions formed, bugs argued, and formed divisions. Just as I predicted, for the most part, the cockroaches, maggots, and filter flies didn't want to come.

When things reached their climax and the two groups seemed to be done forming, I walked over to our needle pile. I gathered up an armful, and walked to the larger group. The bugs that would stay behind. I held one out to a large filter fly, and then another to a roach, and then another to a maggot, who struggled to hold it with their short arms. Then, I continued the pattern. A few roaches in the group already had weapons from last night, but I tried to keep the distribution even.

"I hope you'll protect each other," I say to them, "I hope you'll use these weapons to defend your homes, and whatever you build on your own. And I hope you'll always remember that you can always follow the cocoon trail to us, if you ever change your minds. We won't turn you away."

"We will," said a tall filter fly, one I that I recognized pulled me from the water after the Winslow raid.

I sigh, and turn back to the group who would be coming with me.

"Gather up as much of the scavenged materials as we can," I order, "Anything we can use to make the next boats, gather together in any intact plastic bags. We'll tie the bags shut and drag them behind us."

The next two hours were hectic and energized, as bugs began to climb aboard the boats they helped make. One of the pontoons collapsed, but was quickly repaired. Others found them too crowded, and so three more were built in a hurry. A few other bugs turning towards tying cups plastic bowls and lids to the sides of boats for more space, or riding on top of the supply bags to be carried with.

The longest and sturdiest sticks were handed out to stronger bugs- cockroaches, sewer beetles, and spiders -and they used them as oars. Pushing off the bottom of the sewer, and urging the boats steadily forwards.

I looked behind us at the space we were leaving behind. At the crowds who chose not to follow my lead. Without thinking, I waved to them. Some of them waved back.

I sucked in a breath, turned around, and looked out into the tunnels ahead of us. We were on the move.

"Send the scouts ahead," I order, "Let's begin."

--------------
Author's note:
I'm debating whether to take the journey more day by day like I have been so far and have her discover each type of bug's powers, or do a small time skip to a week ahead where she's already learned more about the bugs powers, and is entering the Trainyard.

Tell me your thoughts.

I just want to see their powers used, rather than listed. Whether you do that now or later doesn't particularly matter to me. This story seems pretty entertaining regardless, its very cool seeing the whole bug civilisation grow like this. I'm wondering though how they'll keep Piggot in her somewhat justified paranoia from bringing the hammer down on them. Like, how many bugs would it take to fight a normal human and win? Let alone a parahuman. Though they'll have the advantage in numbers so I guess the match doesn't have to be in the bugs favor for them to win.

For me I am quite eager to get to the point where they start interacting with people/things that aren't insects. I am enjoying the premiss so far, but as I have never played the game, and I am here to read Worm fanfiction, I don't find this as stimulating as I might otherwise.

Back