Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

"I am the middle woman. I am the nomad bound to a hearth, the hunter bound to a farm, the mother split down the middle, with one foot in marriage, one in magic. No man has named me, and yet I have a name. I balance a path with steep falls on both sides, and on that path I have come to bring you the strength of my lands and the riches of my shores. Do you accept my offerings?"

This is the second part of a story that started with Sister Bear. Kildevi has now left the homestead in Westmanland to follow her husband down the rivers of Rus to Miklagard, the Greatest Village on Midgard. On the way she will run into everything from talking lakes to pecheneg raiders, not to mention navigating a wifehood she was never raised for.
Last edited:
Introduction (incl general content warnings)
Since we are in the early 900s we have a general content warning for problematic yet unquestioned:

Slavery - thralls are everywhere, they are property and discussed as such
Violence - usually, but not always, out of frame
Sexual violence - both personal and structural
Classism - rich, free people are treated better because they ARE better
Honor structures - your honour is basically your credit rating
Sexism and gender roles - albeit of a sometimes alien flavour
Transphobia - once again of a slightly non-modern kind since concepts of identity just isn't there
Homophobia - against receiving men mainly, because sexism, being "treated like a woman" is shameful
Drug use - mainly ritual
Blood sacrifice - only ritual
Heavy drinking - mainly just culturally always
…and much much more since I still try to keep somewhat within the worldview of my cast. There will also be a lot of foul language, and the F-word will be a staple. It was (probably) used in different forms back then, so it isn't as anachronistic as you might think.

As before, you will run into...
Nudity: These people lived, slept and had sex in one room with, at best, a sturdy curtain for privacy. Modern standards of privacy does not exist, nor modern standards of modesty.
Teenagers being regarded as adults: Puberty meant adulthood. I have done my absolute best to avoid being exploitative, and hope that I have managed to handle it responsibly and maturely.

If you happen upon a word you don't know - check the glossary.
If you know your icelandic sagas - look for tropes. This is not written as a saga, but contains quite a few nods to them.
If you wonder who the heck Asbjorn is - check the cast list for the part you're currently reading. Future cast lists contains spoilers.
If you wonder how on earth the world turns from summer to winter over a day - remember that there are only two seasons in a year.

And finally - if anyone with some knowledge in pre-20th century sailing has any input, I would be thrilled to buy you an online beer and suck every drop of knowledge out of your head. I've spent many hours on my google-fu, but never really tugged a rope to raise a mast.

Lotsa love,
Alva

Last edited:
Part 1: Points and risk assessments
"Thorlevson! Is that you?"

"Hrodulf? Good to see you, how have you been?"

The men laughed and embraced each other. Kildevi stood by their unloaded cargo of furs and ivory a few steps behind them, wrapped up in her winter cloak with a fur brimmed hood pulled up over her head against the biting wind, looking almost as lost as she felt.

"Good, good. Been doing good business shipping Gotlanders between Visby and Riga. I almost didn't recognise you on your own, where have you been?"

Eskil nodded in the vague direction of inland.

"Home, married three seasons ago."

"And now it is time to leave again, huh? One year and a half is a pretty good honeymoon, but sooner or later a man needs a break." He chuckled. "I myself have the wife in Riga, visit her for two months every midwinter. I'm happy, she's happy, the bairns are all still born in the autumn and they recognise me, so all is good. Where is the puppy?"

"He's gone full dog now. Thorstein was married last harvest, so it's his turn to stay home and watch the wheat grow."

"Jaja, we'll see him next year then. Are you going north, or are we to be shipmates again for a while?"

Eskil smiled and looked out towards the wharf where four knarrs already lay deep in the water.

"We're going with Froðes convoy down the Rus rivers, so with some luck we're shipmates at least until Paviken. I guess that's where you jump off?"

"And right you are. I get off, the Paviken brothers get on. A net loss for you, if you ask me." Hrodulf nodded towards Kildevi. "But who's that girl you're bringing? Looks decent for someone willing to go to sea with you."

"That's my wife."

Hrodulf's eyebrows flew up.

"Oh! No offence meant then, looks decent for a wife too. So, you're bringing her to Ladoga?"

"She is coming along all the way to the Great City."

"That young? From here she looks like fourteen."

Eskil glanced at his wife, then back to his old shipmate.

"More like a well lived twenty. This is her twenty-first year and I'm not her first husband."

Hrodulf didn't look convinced, but then he shrugged.

"I have to trust you on that one, then. I hope she's got thick skin. Until you reload to the byrdings in Staraya Ladoga, the only other woman with you is Aslaug, and she's an old sea dog with teeth in her cunt." He leant closer. "Aslaug is as Aslaug was, you know. Good sailor and a nasty fighter, but she does have a mouth on her. You may not want to let your wife get too close, sometimes it rubs off."

Eskil nodded.

"I'll make a point or two, then we'll handle it." Sardonically, he added, "and rough language is not what I'm worried about on this trip."

Hrodulf nodded too, looking at the white skinned girl who now had sat down on one of the crates, staring wide eyed at the hustle around them.

"You want to make those points on shore, you know, as soon as possible. No one wants any fighting once you reach open sea."

Kildevi saw Eskil take leave of what looked like an old friend, and then he walked back to her where she sat on the crate, confused and overwhelmed. There were people everywhere, and boats, crates, dogs, even hens and pigs, a constant noise of screaming gulls and shouting men, and this was still just a small loading bay with a wharf and a handful of houses. Her mind boggled at the thought of what a real port must be like.

"I realise now that this must be a lot for you to take in," he said, obviously amused by her lack of worldliness. "But it's a good place to start. Next stop is Paviken, and that is a real port with considerably more of everything."

Kildevi rose from the crate, still looking around.

"How do people not get lost in all this?"

"You get used to it. Soon, it won't be overwhelming anymore and when we return, this loading pier will feel very small, I promise."

He sat down on the crate she just left, then grabbed her hand to draw her back to him. With his arm wrapped around her waist from behind, he rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Keep close to me, especially when it starts getting dark. You don't have to hold my hand all the time, but stay well within line of sight."

"Do you really think that's necessary? I'm not…"

"…that special, I know." He sighed. "I really wish you would stop saying that. Both because you insult my wife every time you say it, but also because you have a very naive idea about how special you need to be for someone to be interested enough to be a problem."

Eskil squinted out over the gathered ships.

"Let me just quickly give you the numbers I base my risk assessment on. This convoy will have eight ships when we reload in Staraya Ladoga. Each byrding has a crew of at least 8, but probably 12-15 since we'll need defensive manpower further down the rivers. That makes 95-119 men - and one woman, according to Hrodulf - just in our convoy. Say that I'm counting low, and that half of the men think you are cute enough to look at when there are no other women here to compete for their attention. That gives some 40-60 pairs of eyes. Now, let's make the rough estimate that 1 in 10 would actually try anything, then we're down to 4-6 reasons for me to not let you out of my sight. Add that maybe half of those aren't too fussy about what you think, and you have at least 2-3 armed and by nightfall drunk men you don't want to meet without me hovering behind you. And that's just in our convoy, I'm not even counting the two ships loading to go north tomorrow morning. Any questions on that?"

Kildevi glanced sideways at him with a grimace.

"No."

"Good. You'll start to get a feel for people when we've travelled together for a while. Crews tend to become a kind of family, so the longer we sail, the more our shipmates will think of you as one of their own. That means that in a few weeks, you can use your judgement, but right now I, or Thogard, or Eirik will follow you no matter where you go or what you do."

She hesitated.

"Can we try to keep Eirik as the last resort?"

Eskil turned to look at her, surprise in his face.

"Why? I mean… Thogard is a rock to lean on, but Eirik is by far the friendliest, I really thought it would be the other way around."

She breathed. This was harder to say than she had ever thought.

"I… He has never done anything. Wrong. Or bad. Or… But, you know how they often play in the evenings?"

"Yes, like many of us."

"They both played and drank with Sigulf. And though Thogard didn't interfere, he looked away or walked out when things got bad and over time he and Sigulf grew less friendly. Eirik… didn't. He seemed to see no problem. I'm not scared of him or think I would be less safe with him, but I know what he thinks I'm worth."

He gave her a long, thoughtful look.

"Thank you for telling me. That's good information to have."

Uneasy from talking about old pains, she looked for a subject to change to.

"But what about that other woman Hrodulf mentioned?"

Eskil shrugged.

"He called her Aslaug. Haven't met her, but my guess is that she made a lot of excessively brutal points on the way, enough for everyone to decide it isn't worth it, and earned her place as one of the boys. Hrodulf called her a nasty fighter. He doesn't say that about everyone."

He rose from the crate.

"Let's get some of your regalia on you. Right now, I've been told you look like some half grown girl I've sweet-talked to sea with me, and it would do wonders for those numbers if you looked like a full grown vǫlva instead."

They were just going back to the room where they had their luggage and a bed for the night, when Eskil was once again stopped by some old acquaintance who wanted a word. Waiting for him, Kildevi drifted down the wharf past the knarrs where the crews were loading their luggage and finishing up things she had no clue what they were.

On the wharf she saw someone crouched in front of a worn sailor's sack, brown hair in a tousled bun at the nape. Something was off, and when she strode past, she realised the face was unbearded, but nothing else about the figure screamed young boy. The face was turned down and it was hard to see much shape on the body under the layers of winter woollens, but she was willing to bet this was the other woman in the convoy.

A tall, blonde man had climbed up on the reeling of the furthermost ship and now he shouted,
"Hey, Aslaug, I see it's you, me and the other 20 boys tonight, aye?"

The woman lifted her head and squinted towards the man in the sharp late winter sun.

"You want me to come and pee on you again Jonar?" she screamed back. "Didn't you drink enough last time?"

He laughed, and so did a few of the passing sailors. When the laughs died off, the woman turned her squint to Kildevi.

"What are you staring at, sweetheart?"

Somehow the endearment didn't sound like a compliment.

"I... I have never heard of peeing on a man before."

Aslaug looked at her as if she just couldn't handle this level of stupidity.

"A piece of advice for your pampered pussy, you keep close to your pretty husband and his two big boys on shore, you hear? And you're lucky to have silver behind you. People like you won't ever need to pee someone in the face, so you can do fuck all with that information."

With that, she swiftly turned and started going through her luggage.

Kildevi blinked. She felt stupid, but she also had so many questions left that would simply have to wait. Walking back, she saw that Eskil was alone again and had watched them from the shore. She was almost certain this wasn't one of those things she could ask him and expect a good reply.

"Is that a cat stole?"

Kildevi turned in the crowded room where tables and benches had been put up to serve food and drink. The man who had spoken sat next to where she stood, at the end of a table with what she assumed was his shipmates, thirteen of them, and she noted Aslaug a few places down.

"Yes."

"Have you earned that or just nicked your mammas?"

"It's mine."

"A spáwife, huh? Must be pretty shite. The good ones ain't young. The good ones ain't married."

Kildevi stared at him. Everyone at the table was watching and she couldn't see Eskil anywhere, which meant she had to say or do something. Her heart was beating hard, but somehow her mouth must have made a connection to her mind because she heard herself say,

"I could make you limp."

The rest of the table started laughing, but the man didn't look amused.

"You don't need no spell for that, darlin'!" Aslaug shouted from down the table and tore down another round.

His eyes were dark now, and they held hers locked down in a contest of their own.

"Why don't you put your hand down and feel me."

Before she had a chance to reply, something grabbed him and ripped him from her view. Next she heard a thump, and another, and then the visceral sound of bones cracking. Her mind caught up just in time to see Eskil let go of his head, and the man sunk down on the floor, blood marks on the timbered wall behind them.

"Anyone else?"

His voice was level but ominous, his face blank like stone. The only sign of anger was some tension in his jaw that Kildevi saw only because she knew where to look for it.

Two or three of the closest men had started to square up where they sat, but the rest of the crew just watched, a couple of them even grinning.

"Come on, he had that coming," someone said from the corner.

An assenting murmur seemed to spread, and the tension subtly changed.

"Insulting a seer…"

"Yeah, and his nose wasn't that pretty to begin with."

"Where were you?" Kildevi wheezed as soon as they got out of earshot. "You saved me at the last minute, I had no idea how to reply."

"I spoke with our captain, about the exact same thing. He couldn't grasp the idea of a married seer your age with any real clout behind her yet, and he's not from Westmanland, so he has never heard of you."

Kildevi frowned.

"Is that important? Do people have to know about the range of my knowledge? I'm not even sure that I know myself."

He shrugged.

"Not really, unless we need you, but it would save you from situations like this one. On the other hand, I am on the lookout for points to make, so…"

He let that hang in the air, but Kildevi worried about something else.

"Won't his shipmates come for you?"

"I don't think so. Sober tomorrow, they will realise I'm the one with the lease on a byrding's worth of cargo space, and almost all of them seemed to think he had it coming. Which he had. I'd be very surprised if it bites me in the back, but, you know. It's worth hoping for."

The first days without Alfhild had been hell, an aching yearning that almost had her turning back again. Now that her breasts had stopped leaking at the very sound of a cry, that longing had withdrawn into a room of its own in her mind, definitely there, but somehow under lock and chain. She avoided babies like the plague, though. Luckily, there weren't that many babies around for her to avoid.

Hrodulf turned out to be a blessing as the knarr followed the coastline south towards Paviken. The cargo ship only needed a fifth of the current crew to sail, and with everyone else bored and cramped up on the vessel, people were playing games, talking, bantering and sometimes even arguing with each other.

Except with her. No one talked. No one played. Most didn't even look her way. Whenever Eskil was talking to someone else, it was as if she had been thrown back to her father's hall again, invisible.

Towards the end of the first day though, Hrodulf came to sit with her when Eskil was occupied a few paces away, and he brought a game board but no pieces.

"Don't worry," he said as a greeting, "I've asked your husband's permission. I'm not here to make trouble."

"Why would I think you mean trouble?"

He gave her a little smile, barely visible.

"Why do you think no one has smiled, or even said a word to you for the whole day?"

"I don't know. Maybe because they are men who know each other and don't have a reason to talk to me?"

Hrodulf shook his head.

"Because none of them wants to give Thorlevson a reason to bash their faces into the mast, which is what would happen if they got too close and cuddly with you. And right now no one knows where he draws the line for close and cuddly. Better to pretend they don't see you, to be on the safe side."

"Oh. I didn't think about that."

He gave her a strange look.

"How far and wide have you travelled before?"

Kildevi hesitated, but decided honesty was the best route.

"From my father's hall to my new home. Then from there to here."

"But Thorlevson told me you had a husband before him?"

"Yes, but that was his elder brother. I didn't even change my bed, just the husband in it."

"Oh." The frown was so deep by now it left furrows all over his face. "Tell me, how did this whole thing even come up, then? Was it him or you who thought it was a great idea to make your first real journey all the way down the Rus rivers? Because I've always considered him somewhat sensible for his age, but if this was his idea…"

"It was mine."

"How on earth did you get that idea in your head?"

Once again Kildevi was torn between honesty and what would sound good, and decided for honesty.

"Several ways, actually. Do you want to hear them all to pass the time?"

"Why not? Time is all we have right now."

So, she told him about Eskil breaking the ice in their wedding bed with silly poetry, and how she, not knowing what a canary was, had fallen in love with stories of a great village her mind wasn't wide enough to grasp.

Hrodulf gave a low chuckle.

"Sounds like Thorlevson was too clever for his own good there."

Kildevi smiled, and looked down at her hands.

"Yes. It is a pattern with him, isn't it? His father is the same."

She paused, the smitten smile gone, and continued before she gave herself time for second thoughts.

"The second part of this story is that his older brother was a bad man to be married to. Jealous when sober and violent when drunk, mistrustful always. When he died I was jailed within the walls of the house, and when Eskil returned, I had still just freed myself out to the fences of the nearby fields. But with time and a less violent husband, the homestead shrunk. I knew everything, every stone, every farmhand, every abandoned little cabin. Then, one day, I realised that I had travelled further in the other world than in this one. And someone who has followed a path from Westmanland and halfway to Jotunheim in just a night shouldn't fear a year on a ship in Midgard."

As expected, Hrodulf was staring. She smiled.

"Did you think I borrowed this stole and the amulets from my mamma?"

"No. No, but the spá-wives I have seen just read our fortune. What you are talking about there is something else."

"My grandmother was one of the legends."

"Is that why he let you come along?"

Kildevi snorted and shook her head.

"No, he didn't, he really didn't want me to come. But with me and Thorstein ganging up on him he slowly came to his senses."

"Or lost them. I mean, he seems fond of you, but he'll have to hold your hand all the way down."

She shrugged.

"Only time will tell. But in the meantime, I wonder if you had any plans for that gaming board? You see, that is another thing I have never done before, but believe that I can probably grow good at."

He looked down on the roughly hewn board.

"Ah, yes! We have no pieces, I'm afraid. Jonar and Thore took the pieces and are playing straight on the crate, but maybe you have something we can use?"

Digging through her pouches, Kildevi felt the regular lines of Anund's work against her fingertips. Pulling up the gaming piece, she asked, "Have you ever played with a bear as the king? I'm sure we can use pearls and pebbles for the rest."

Eskil joined them after a while, wrapping his cloak around her against the wind. The sea was open, but the weather was still cold enough for sleet to have fallen as late as yesterday, and the closeness was not only a comfort for the mind - the body really appreciated the warmth.

"I just want to look at that King for a moment," he said and picked up the bear, giving it a close inspection. "This is Anund's work, clear as day. Why did you bring this?"

Kildevi was aware of Hrodulf's curious eyes watching their faces during their exchange. He had taken an obvious interest in them the moment he realised she wasn't just a bed-warmer.

"That is my piece. He made it for me on my first day with you."

"With me, or with us?"

"It was to be my piece to move, when once a wolf and an eagle turned your yard into a gaming board."

Eskil gave her a scrutinising gaze.

"I see. And that is his usual likeness for us?"

"What else? Sigulf was a wolf, the bear chose me for herself and you… you are known to notice things from above before you strike." She smiled up at his furrowed face, well aware he was grappling with something out of his usual frame of thought. "Anund remarked that you once were like a fox cub, small and cunning, always ready to pounce, but I would say you left that spot to Asbjorn a long time ago."

"Does he often carve the youngsters?"

She shrugged.

"No, not really. But when everyone else is watching Holmger, both I and Anund are much more curious to see what will become of Asbjorn."

Eskil gave her a thoughtful glance, face still turned down over the bear.

"Huh. Interesting. I think most of us see him as a beloved annoyance."

"For the exact same reasons that will one day make him a force to be reckoned with."

"I took a more honourable path in the end, maybe he will too?"

"If so, I hope you all find cunning wives to compensate, because this family needs at least one devious, all-knowing little improviser."

Now he looked up at her, amused.

"Hrefna is a sweet girl, but I wouldn't call her cunning. Are you saying Thorstein should get a second wife and mess up two marriages instead of one?"

Kildevi snorted.

"Hrefna has so many wifely virtues she is completely useless as anything else. He can't afford two wives yet, maybe he should just get a cunning mistress?"

"Oh, he's had several of those. A woman doesn't get away with that kind of affair without a certain amount of cunning. Sadly, none of them were very interested in leaving wifehood for concubinage."

"Strange. It's almost as if they knew what they were doing."

Cast

Cast Part 1-14

Kildevi/Kiéldvé Thorvaldsdottir - a young sejðkona, seer, chieftain's daughter, and orphan, first and this far only wife of Eskil, 22
Eskil/Áskell Thorlevson - former mercenary gone merchant, husband of Kildevi, 26

Eirik/Eiríkr the housecarl - a housecarl, late-20s.
Thogard/Þorgarðr - a housecarl and grappling champion, late-30s.

In the convoy
Asgaut - (former) viking, captain, merchant, acting convoy leader, early 40s
Aslaug - a foul-mouthed old sea dog with teeth in her cunt. 25-40?
Audvard - a viking with a scaldic streak, early 30s
Deva - a Slavic thrall, mid-20s
Eymund - a young viking, late 10s
Gotvald - a gotlander, brother of Ketill. The one dubbed "just an asshole", late 20s.
Gunvar - a more sailor than viking, teaching young'uns, mid-30s.
Hroar - a viking, kyivan mercenary, sharp jawed uplander, 19
Hrafn - a viking, kyivan mercenary, square jawed uplander, 21
Hrodulf - a captain. Former shipmate of Eskil and Thorstein, late 30s
Hrolf - a steerman, early 40s
Ingjald - a steerman with good sense of direction, late 30s
Jonar - a viking, and probably not really a piss-drinker, early 30s
Ketill - a gotlander, brother of Gotvald. A man whose mind was carved slightly off center, mid-20s
Ragnleif - a steerman with a split earlobe, mid-40s
Sigstein - a viking with a broken nose, late 20s
Thore - a viking, mate of most, late 20s
Thorven - a viking with a running mouth, early 20s

At the ports
Hild the beadmakers wife - a landlady and chatterbox
Stein the Beadmaker - a surly beadmaker

Kiev
Beleka - Bjarni's second wife, 24
Bjarni - a Kievan trader in wine and silk, old friend of Thorlev, late 40s
Ina/Ingeborg - Bjarni's lively second daughter, 18
Majka - Bjarni's youngest daughter, a small girl with sharp teeth (cameo), 4
Ragneda/Ragnhild - Bjarni's eldest daughter, married, 21
Yaroslav - Bjarni's eldest living son, 6

At home
Thorlev/Þorrleifr Sigulfson - a viking, merchant and odal farmer, late-40s
Alfrida/Álfriðr Anundsdottir - his formidable and only wife, mid-40s

Anund/Ǫnnundr Thorlevson - the horse whisperer and sejðmaðr in training, 24.
Thorstein/Þorrsteinn Thorlevson - the puppy gone full dog, 22.
Svein/Svéinn Thorlevson - the one with hidden talents, 20.
Holmger/Holmgerðr Thorlevson - the Good one, 16.
Asbjorn/Ásbjǫrn Thorlevson - the nosy spy and spreader of news, 13.
Thore/Þórre Thorlevson - the sleepwalker, 10.
Geir/Geirr Thorlevson - the one with the ginger curls, 7.
Sigrunn Thorlevsdottir - the wild one, 4.
Alfhild Eskilsdottir - firstborn daughter of Eskil and Kildevi, 1

Alfjir/Álfjir- Three times widowed, midwife, head of the largest tenant household, workwoman, older than 65, younger than 80
Hrefna Ragnarsdottir - a dutiful and shy young woman, very literal, Thorstein's wife, 17

Dead
Grim/Grímr Vibjornson - Kildevis uncle, lived in Thorvalds house.
Mavdna/Mávdná - Kildevis grandmother (amma), a Finn, a vǫlva, a spá-wife, a seiðkonur.
Sigulf/Sígulfr Thorlevson - Firstborn son of Thorlev and Alfrida. Kildevis first husband, killed by a boar.
Thorvald/Þorrvàlðr Vibjornson - Kildevis father, minor chieftain, son of Mavdna.
Vibjorn/Víbjǫrn Thorvaldson - Kildevis grandfather, Mavdnas husband.
Mavdna/Mávdná - Kildevis grandmother (amma), a Finn, a vǫlva, a spá-wife, a seiðkonur.
Thorvald/Þorrvàlðr Vibjornson - Kildevis father, minor chieftain, son of Mavdna.
Vibjorn/Víbjǫrn Thorvaldson - Kildevis grandfather, Mavdnas ex. husband.

Extras
Thralls - slaves, ever present, seldom remembered.
Unnamed vikings - some for life, some just seeking their fortune

Last edited:
Glossary
A note on seasons: There are two seasons, winter and summer, that change at the equinoxes. Spring and autumn are more like descriptions of the in-betweens of changing seasons.

Glossary
Amma/Umma: Grandmother

Argr: Serious insult, most often used about men, then meaning being a coward, weak, unmanly, reciever of (or lusting for) sexual penetration. If used about women, sexually promiscuous, dick hungry.

Aesir: The first family/tier of gods, first among them Oðin. Thor is another celebrity.

Ástin mín: My love, my darling.

Bacraut: Dickhead/asshole.

Baldr: Asir god, son of Oðin, known for his beauty and beloved by all.

Beiskaldi: Griping bitch, nag.

Byrding: A slender river going ship, light enough to portage but stable enough for shorter sea crossings. The byrdings here are large for the ship class.

Cariad: Welsh word for loved one, beloved.

Drengr: Honorary meaning a young, honorable, "real" man.

Eld-tinna: Tools for making fire.

Elves: A variety of different creatures, among them the small folk, along with various gnomes, faeries, helpers and jesters. (There is no good English word for "oknytt" or "väsen" that I know of, so I'm going with elves.)

Ergi: Noun form of argr. A coward, a not-man, a reciever of sexual penetration. Also a man who practices sejðr.

Finns: The Saami. Not the same as modern finns.

Freed man: Former thrall given/earned their freedom, lowest class of free men. Their offspring counts as free.

Frillða: Mistress, concubine

Fylgja: Spiritual companion, can be an animal or an ancestor. Often inherited. Everyone has one. The word is also used for dowry.

Galdr: A sort of magic spell, sung (m) or recited (f). Practiced by all genders, dishonorable for none. Literally means "to sing".

Goði: Person of high political/religious status, acting priest.

Gótar: The people of what is now mid-southern Sweden.

Greeks: Basically people in the Eastern Roman empire.

Gutar: Gotlanders, people from Gotland.

Hamr: Shape, form, body.

Heið: Warrior/soldier's pay. Both the actual payment, and as a description of a relation. To be in someone's Heið is to be their paid/compensated warrior. The housecarls are Heið-men.

Hors
: Horse.

Hrafngrennir: Raven-feeder, great warrior.

Hugr: Thought, mind, will.

Jæmtar: The people of Jæmtland, then a kingdom in the northwest of modern Sweden.

Jotunn: Giants, enemies/rivals of the gods that by no means has to be giant.

Kæresta: Dearest one, beloved.

Knarr: Wider, seagoing cargo ship, can be sailed with a very small crew for its size.

Konur: Woman/wife.

Mære/Mara: An evil spirit visiting men at night taking their strength through riding out of them, one of the things believed could be done by sejð. Old Norse word that gave English the word "nightmare". Not to be confused with the placename.

Maðr: Man/husband.

Mamma: Informal term for mother.

Mundr: Bride price. A payment made by a groom to the bride's father for her legal rights.

Norne: The three nornes govern the fate of all men, but everyone also has their own norne keeping track of them. Your death day is already set when you are born, but how you die is more up to you.

Rower's wife: Made up term for a specific kind of sex worker. (See historical notes.)

Sæl: Informal greeting, shortened from "heil og sæl".

Seax: A large germanic hunting/fighting-knife with a blade-length somewhere between 30 and 60 cm (1-2 ft). At this point in time often used as a sidearm.

Seiðkona/sejðkonur: Woman who do sejðr.

Sejðmaðr: Man who do sejðr.

Sejðr: A sort of magic, shamanistic/spiritist in nature. Closely associated with "being a woman" in a sexual sense, the practice is seen as shameful for men, and men who practice sejðr are considered ergi and seen as sort of shifting into women. There are sources for sex as a ritual element, but interpretations of how and why is my own. Frǫya once brought this magic to the Aesir and turned Oðin into a Sejðmaðr.

Skáldligr: Poetic.

Skipari: Skipper. Back then a member of the crew, working under the steerman.

Smokkr: A kind of sleeveless dress, straps fastened with buckles. Also known as Hangerock or apron dress (even though it's not an apron).

Spá: To foretell, through your own sight/intuition.

Spákona: Seer-woman, often used for women who do sejð too, because of less messy connotations.

Styrimaðr: Steerman. Back then the highest ranking person on a ship, with the skipper under him.

Streð mik: Fuck me! An expletive, not a kind suggestion.

Svear: The people of what today is central Sweden.

þing: Assembly.

Urd: One of the three nornes.

Vanir: The second family/tier of gods, most famous of them probably Frǫya.

Vǫlva: Seer, foreteller, wise woman, honorary title.

Place names
Attundaland: Nowadays a part of Uppland in Sweden, back then one of three regions/petty kingdoms under the seat in Upsala.
Birka: An important international market town near the east coast of Sweden, in what is now the Stockholm/Uppsala region.
Fjardhundraland: Nowadays a part of Uppland in Sweden, back then one of three regions/petty kingdoms under the seat in Upsala
Hedeby: A large and important international trading center in what is now northern Germany, a hub between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe.
Holmgard: Novgorod
Konugard: Kyiv/Kiew.
Ladoga: A settlement at the opening of Volkhov river at lake Ladoga, start of the riverways south through what is now Russia and Belarus.
Mære: Important political and religious center near Trondheim in Norway.
Miklagard: Constantinople, modern Istanbul.
Nerrike: A small kingdom in what is now the region Närke in central Sweden.
Nygard: Novgorod.
Paviken: A port on Gotland.
Smaleskia: Gnezdovo, an important settlement with a Varangian garrison near modern Smolensk.
Upland: The very core land of the Svear, where you find places like the king seat Upsala, market hub Birka, and nowadays the northern part of a tiny town called Stockholm.
Væsterás: Västerås, a market town in southern Westmanland, central Sweden.
the Væner: Vänern, the second largest lake in Sweden.
Westmanland: Västmanland. Means "land of the west-men", now a region in central Sweden.

Last edited:
Part 2: The lady at the prow
The crossing to Gotland was Kildevi's first taste of leaving the coast. She surprised Eskil, and herself, by suffering from no sea sickness whatsoever. What she did suffer from was a bout of panic when she realised she was on a ship surrounded by water on all sides all the way into the cloudy horizon, but with everyone else acting like it was nothing, showing it was not an option.

When they reached the gutnish coast, they had only a short way left along well populated shores until they turned into the bay and finally the Paviken harbour. Eskil had not been lying. As her feet touched the wharf, she stood staring. Houses stretched as far as her eyes could see, row after row of huts and workshops, with narrow paths between. Eskil came up behind her and kindly grabbed hold of her elbow to lead her off the wharf.

"Welcome to your first port, Ástin mín," he said. "We'll have time to walk around a bit later, but this is our last chance to sleep in a house for a couple of weeks, so I say we find Stein the beadmaker and see if we can rent the room above his workshop. It's small, but heated from below, and we won't have to share it with anyone."

Still staring at everything, Kildevi nodded and let him lead her away from the waterside and into the narrow streets.

Stein the beadmaker was a surly man, but the room was clean and comfortable, and his wife was bubbly and eager to help.

"I recognise you, don't I?" she said to Eskil in the weirdly singing tongue of the gotlanders. "You've been here twice or thrice these last few years, haven't you?"

"You have a good memory for faces… Hild, isn't it?"

"And you are right, young man! Hild it is, and here with the wife I see. Then you won't be expecting any other company this time, I gather?" She wandered up a ladder to the door of the loft, still talking. "If you need it, just get the fire started, and in the mornings there is hot water in the bath because that's when Stein melts and heats the stone right under the tub, it's a wonder really!"

Kildevi glanced at Eskil and whispered,

"So, 'no other company this time, she gathers.'"

"It was before."

She looked up at him, eyes wide.

"When you said our wedding wasn't your first time with a woman, I assumed it was your second, maybe third. And now I think… I think… it may be even more!"

"Very funny."

"Are you sure you aren't expecting any other company this time?"

"I'm sure."

"I just want to know, you know. Wouldn't want to stand in the way of the fifth woman you've ever had."

Two days in Paviken became three as they waited for an unfavourable wind to turn. Hrodulf ate with them on the first evening before he continued towards Visby where his own ship lay over for winter, but the rest of the time was mainly spent idle, taking hot baths in the mornings as per Hild's suggestion.

It felt strangely scandalous to sleep alone in a whole room, as if they were hiding something illicit from prying eyes. In her mind she pretended to be one of those lovers he'd brought there, a thought that felt like the very best kind of shameful secret. She didn't dare tell him, though, considering that all she'd ever learned about his former women, she'd learned from other people. It was quite obvious he didn't want her to know.

"Ten days from home and already bolder," he said, amused, when she stood naked next to the bed, combing out her wet hair. "A few days into our wedding, Thorstein jokingly said that I seemed to be on shore leave with someone else's wife. And now I am, with my own."

He stretched out his hand to run his fingers through the hip length tresses, wrapping a few turns around the palm, then letting it fall free again.

"You can pretend I am someone else's wife if you want to?" she said with a flirtatious glance.

He looked up from her hair, surprised.

"Why would I want to do that?"

Kildevi had no good reply to give, so she tried, "Maybe to make it more exciting?"

"I don't need you to be more exciting than you already are."

And that very sweet answer wasn't what she wanted at all.

But with everything else being so exciting, that faded into the background as soon as they got out the door. Paviken was not Constantinople, but it was a booming market port with more wares and more people than she'd ever seen in her life.

"Double this, and you have Birka," Eskil said as they walked past the row of shoreside workshops, watching a fully laden knarr get unloaded by smaller vessels. "Double Birka, and you have Hedeby."

"Double Hedeby and you have Miklagard?"

Eskil put his arm around her shoulders.

"You have to double Hedeby several times to get Miklagard," he said with a wide grin. "Then make it all from stone, and fill it with dyes and glittering stones. In maybe four or five months, you'll see for yourself."

"And you've seen all of these places?"

He nodded.

"Birka is our closest hub for faraway goods, and father has dealt in everything from horses to timber to glassware. He started bringing me along when I was Thore's age. That year he brought you in was the first summer I was home in maybe ten years, give or take. Some trade, some warring, but never home."

"And Hedeby?"

"Is far south, you go past the land of the Gothar and to the furthermost end of the Danes'. Remember how mother accused me of trying to court you like a Frankish courtier? That, I picked up from a well dressed sweet talker in Hedeby."

"You don't think my hair shines of pale gold in sunlight anymore?"

"I'll have to have a look. Since we married I so rarely see your full hair outside in sunlight."

Thoughtfully, he pulled a strand free from the headscarf. "I thought so! Still does! But that aside, I've been there with father thrice since I was old enough to be of any use to him, and frankly I think he was very nice about how useful I was the first time. About as useful as Geir and Thore at slaughter, I'd say."

She laughed.

"I am sure you were very useful being cute while he haggled."

"Don't forget, I also said cute things!" He paused. "No, my main job was to observe and take note of as much as possible while he talked. He had a nose for who to bring, but he quickly learned that taking me and Sigulf together meant a constant struggle in the background. I'd bait him, he'd beat me up. Anund never wanted to come, and Thorstein… I think Thorstein and Svein both were sort of forgotten there in the middle of mentoring Sigulf and me. That's one reason I asked Thorstein along last time."

"And the rest? I've seen him take Holmger and Asbjorn with him once or twice, but nothing more."

Eskil frowned.

"You're right, they should get more worldly while they are young enough to be malleable."

"What do you say about starting to bring Asbjorn with you when we get back? He could easily fill the same function you did."

"And you are back with Asbjorn. What about Holmger?"

"...who would baulk at the first sign of deception, getting worried as soon as you promised too much or talked too big?"

Eskil grimaced.

"You're right, that is a factor."

"Asbjorn has no problems with twisting the truth, and eavesdrops like it's second nature."

"...and will pass it on to anyone who wants to hear."

Kildevi grinned.

"Nothing a gag won't fix! But if they already knew everything, there would be no reason to teach them. And knowing when to keep your mouth shut is a valuable thing indeed."

"It is. But I've grown better, haven't I?"

"You have. Your wife is pleased with your progress."

On the third day, Asgaut approved of the winds, and they set sail. Two brothers had joined their crew in Paviken, but they kept to themselves, only talking to some of the other men, and she didn't make much note of them. After rounding the island, Kildevi stood at the stern, watching the land grow smaller and smaller in the distance. When at long last it disappeared into the setting sun, she was too occupied with finishing her mending before dark to fully notice.

That first night on the open sea, they cuddled up under a couple of blankets and a tarpaulin of fattened hides for shelter, and fell asleep lulled by the waves against the hull. The second night, Eskil tossed and turned and sighed until she was ready to tie him down to make him lay still.

"What is it?" she wheezed. "I can't sleep if you flail around like you're swimming!"

"Serves you right!" he wheezed back.

"Serves me right for what? Have I done something I don't know about?"

He was silent for a moment, then he spooned up behind her. A moment later she felt his hand twist to open one of the pins of her coat, cupping her breast through the layers of dress, and kirtle, and shift. His lips found a patch of naked skin on her throat, softly kissing his way from her ear down to where the neck met the shoulder.

"What are you doing?" she whispered, slightly louder than she had planned. "You can't do this here, it's too cold, and you said yourself that we shouldn't rub ourselves in everyone's face."

"I know."

The other hand pushed in under her, taking a firm hold on her hip to press her to what she realised was the source of his restless turning.

"If I roll away from you, I'm freezing. If I roll up to you, this happens. If I can't sleep from frustration, neither should you."

He had found her nipple through all the layers of wool and linen, and worked steadfastly to make it rise while his other hand drifted further around her down the hip line, warm breath still caressing the skin behind her earlobe.

"What are you, fifteen?" she wheezed back, hoping her voice wouldn't reveal how well his plan was working.

"No. At fifteen I was used to this, I would have slept anyway. Now it's like being hungry in front of a pot you can't eat from, and misery loves company."

"How would you ever have survived if I had stayed home?!"

"Stuck between Thogard and Eirik, I wouldn't have this problem."

"I hope not," came Thogard's deep voice from the darkness behind them. "I don't care what you do as long as you're quiet. I'm trying to sleep."

Everyone claimed they had good luck with the winds, and a passage both safer and quicker than anticipated this time of year, but Kildevi's joy knew no bounds when they sighted an island for the first time in over a week, and Asgaut announced they would stop to make camp.

She had spent the crossing miserably cold, often wet, and at the same time bored out of her wits, but at least a few of their shipmates had started to notice her existence, and she didn't feel as terribly lonely as before. Once, she had begun to complain to her husband who, less than half a sentence in, gleefully reminded her that this whole thing was her own idea, and that he would happily find her housing in Ladoga if she felt the voyage was too uncomfortable for her white-skinned little cheeks to handle.

She was still a bit testy about that when they unloaded everything needed to make camp. Glaring at him as she helped him raise their tent, she still wasn't sure if the most annoying thing was that he had said it, that he probably had done it to strengthen her resolve, or that it had worked.

Her mood improved considerably when the fires were rising from small flames to proper campfires, spreading warmth enough to dry her clothes all the way in. She opened her coat and let her wrap hang down the back, stretching her mittenless hands towards the flames.

Someone was watching her. There was nothing mystical about the insight, just instinct drawing her attention to a possible call for caution. Across the fire sat one of the Paviken brothers, maybe Gotvald, maybe Ketill, she wasn't sure who was who yet. He stared at her, eyes roving up and down her body without ever reaching her face. Quickly, she looked around but Eskil were nowhere to be seen, and neither was Thogard. At least Eirik was just a few paces away.

Not that anyone was doing anything. He was just looking. But his eyes almost felt like hands, with the difference that there was nothing for her to protest. Uneasy, she wrapped the coat and shawl around her again.

The other brother came up and the first said something, pointing her way. They both looked at her and laughed. The first one kept his stare fixed somewhere at her waist height, his brother throwing her the occasional leisurely glance. When their eyes met, she felt sure that he knew that her gut screamed and her heart fluttered, and that was exactly what he was looking for.

When a hand wrapped around her from behind, she jumped.

"Hey, it's just me!"

She breathed, forcing the panic back into the shadows where it belonged.

"I'm sorry, I'm just tired and the dark played a trick on me."

"We have a small fire bowl in our tent now. It's warming up in there too, if you want to come?"

"Yes, yes of course."

She felt the gaze bore into her back as they walked away.

As they followed the coastline east, they no longer had to spend the nights on ship, and every evening the fires warmed their frozen limbs. She saw a big difference in Eskil when he woke up between sleepskins in a half-warm tent instead of under dry-hides and damp blankets on a cold, wet shipdeck. During the crossing, he'd spent a while each morning rubbing his thigh to make the limp less of a nuisance, now he just rose, left leg almost as strong as the right.

Other things were also strong in him after a crossing's worth of forced abstinence. She was relieved beyond measure that her flows still hadn't started after Alfhilds birth, her body probably safe a while longer. She knew it was just a matter of time, though, especially since she no longer breastfed and the milk had stopped coming in at all somewhere around Paviken. The enjoyment she usually had from him was considerably dampened by that worry, but she couldn't think of a single solution she thought he'd accept, and hadn't really tried to raise the issue since that first fight at home.

Three days down the coast, they made camp for two nights for repairs to one of the ships, and some minor maintenance on the rest. On the second of those nights, Eskil just sighed and let go of her in the middle of a kiss.

"What is it? Before, I thought you were tired from sailing all day, but now it feels like you've just lost interest."

"I guess constant worry does that to people."

"So, what's the problem?"

"You were the one who pointed out how easy it is to die from childbirth on a ship with no midwife."

He frowned.

"But you told me it's still safe."

"No, I told you it's less of a risk, and as soon as the flows return it's no safer at all."

"So, we'll handle that then. It shouldn't be a problem yet, right?"

He clearly suffered from selective hearing.

"It's enough of a problem to worry about. And I didn't tell you to get lost to some other tent, you asked me what was wrong."

"Don't you have any… I don't know. If you can walk between worlds and break curses and spellbind people, why can't you do anything about this?"

"Because I know a galdr to help conceive, but not one to hinder it."

"Can't you just make one up? There must be some way around this problem."

She did not have the patience to remind him how Oðin himself only knew eighteen galdrar.

"I know a spell to make you soft as dough," she replied testily. "But for some reason I don't think that's what you have in mind."

"No."

"The other obvious one is that you don't put your hands on me every. single. night."

"It's all this air, being out, making camp in a new place every night after a whole day of easy sailing, watching you at the prow. That leaves a lot of time for the mind to keep occupied with… later."

She crossed her arms.

"Thinking won't put a child anywhere."

"No, but it makes it hard to sleep pressed up chest to back with all of you within reach."

He reached out and put his hand on her cheek, thumb softly tracing the line of her lower lip.

"You know what? We'll talk about it again when the risk goes up. I'm sure we can find some solution or compromise."

The hand travelled from her cheek down the shoulders, following her crossed arm to the hand, where he carefully untangled it to put it around his own neck.

"Since none of us knows when that will be, why not make the best of the time left?"

All the time he talked, voice a low, intimate murmur, his hand never left her skin.

By now, she was cynical enough to know manipulation when it touched her, but not yet hardened enough not to fall for it.

"I hate that this works."

"It only works because you want it to."

"In the span of an hour yes, not in the span of a year."

"Now is now."

Just a day before Asgaut planned to reach the mouth of the Neva river, they got caught by heavy rain. Those not manning the sails in the strong wind huddled together in small groups to keep warm. By the time they made camp it had stopped, but everything and everyone was soaked through, and the men worked hard to get the fires to take in what damp wood they could find.

Once the first flames had started to rise, Kildevi drifted to it.

Ever since her scare, she had tried to avoid the big fires and wait for Eskil to get their own going, but tonight she was too cold and too miserably wet. Careful to make sure Thogard was nearby, she even peeled off her wrap and coat, leaving only three layers of dress for the heat to dry.

Ketill was there, looking. There was something about him, an… an emptiness that made her skin prickle. This time, she refused to move. It was too cold to budge, and now the fear had started to fuel her anger. Stubbornly she stared into the fire instead, trying to drown out her unease by the calming flames.

She looked up as a tall shadow fell over her. Jonar had stood himself straight in Ketill's line of sight, turned towards her.

"The two gutnish dickheads have their eyes on you," he said in a low voice. "You might wanna go find that husband of yours and stick to him tonight."

Mouth dry, she nodded.

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me, this is as much about pissing on them as it is about you. They make my knuckles itch."

Kildevi saw Thogard rise and start drifting closer. Jonar flashed her a smile. "I see you got back-up. Going for the wrong guy, but…"

Behind him, Ketill had moved. Jonar took a step to the left, blocking his view again before he turned.

"I don't like the way you keep looking at me," he growled at Ketill.

"You're the one who keeps moving."

"Cause I don't want your filthy eyes on my ass, bacraut. I don't even know which one you are, you're both as ugly."

Ketill rose. He was the height of Jonar's nose, but his eyes gleamed cold with hatred. Jonar sneered.

"Right, you are the one who's wrong in the head, your brother is just an asshole."

"This'll get messy," Thogard rumbled behind her. "Come on, time for tent."

"I want to see how it goes."

"And I've been told to bring you back at the first sign of trouble. Let's go."

Eskil and one of their shipmates, she thought his name was Thore, were drying their clothes at the fire outside their tent when Thogard returned with her.

"Jonar and Ketill? What about?"

She grimaced.

"Jonar thought Ketill was looking at me the wrong way, but I think he just wanted a reason to start a fight."

Eskil grunted.

"I think you're right. Jonar isn't known to baulk at much. Might be different with a free woman, but I doubt it. I don't know the Paviken brothers, but I've run into him before."

"Just ask him," Thore said. "He's a mate, and he only bites when he's pissed. One thing that pisses him off is when people talk about him instead of with him."

So, she did. The morning after, he was obviously still standing, because she came wandering by as they were breaking camp and he was on his feet taking a tent down.

"It looks like yesterday went well for you."

Jonar looked down at her for a moment and she straightened as much as she could. Being on the tall side herself, Kildevi was not used to men being that much taller than her, and she didn't really approve of it.

"Yeah, got broken up by Asgaut, the old killjoy. I thought I'd do him a favour and geld those two fuckers for him, but no… "

He took four tent poles under one arm and turned towards the shore.

"But I guess you didn't pop by to kiss it all better for me?"

"I just wanted to say thank you. And to ask why?"

He shrugged.

"Bad form to mess with crew. If those two got handsy with you, we'd all have a problem. Some people siding with your three guys, maybe some with the brothers, you don't want two feuding factions stuck together on a ship."

He paused.

"Also, you're the lady at the prow. Audvar is skáldligr and dubbed you that when we left Paviken."

Kildevi blinked.

"I am what?"

"The lady at the prow. Kinda like a banner or good luck charm. You sit there in your cat skins looking solemn, staring for land, and your yearning brings us there faster. At least in Audvars head."

"Oh. I've just been bored out of my mind."

"Works for us, as long as you bring good winds."

A question lay on her tongue – she hesitated, but no. She'd never get an answer unless she asked.

"Is it true that Aslaug has peed in your face?"

He raised his eyebrows, smiling sardonically.

"As many times as we've shared her on deck."

"How many times is that? And what do you mean by share?"

He seemed to ponder this for a moment.

"Roughly as many times as she has pissed on me." He paused, then added, "on purpose." He carefully hadn't answered the other question.

"I'm guessing one or none, then."

"One of those is right."

Part 3: Ladoga
The shore was just a strip of gravel, large boulders forming a natural stage around the small landing. Higher up, trees and grass framed the shore, but by the waterside they were met with dead stone. The men stood on the ship decks, watching her in silence as she balanced on shore, the lower strip of her skirts wet from waves over the landboard. The land felt harsh. Maybe it was the grey skies reflected on the rocks around them, but it felt like it waited for her to show her colours before it showed her its own.

She drove her staff into the gravel. Carefully, she placed a row of silver cuttings around it, blue glass beads between each cutting, and then beads of ivory in a circle outside. Head bent but back straight, she slowly drenched the sacrifice with mead. While she poured, her mind searched around her. There. There it was. A presence.

You don't belong here.

I am not here to stay.

So, what is your purpose?

I am here to bring you riches.

You don't taste like the men of the west. You taste of the north. Your mind tastes of wheat, but your blood of seal fat and bear meat. Why do you taste wrong, wanderer?

The words struck her from nowhere, but this was not the time to show weakness or hesitation.

I am the middle woman. I am the nomad bound to a hearth, the hunter bound to a farm, the mother split down the middle, with one foot in marriage, one in magic. No man has named me, and yet I have a name. I balance a path with steep falls on both sides, and on that path I have come to bring you the strength of my lands and the riches of my shores. Do you accept my offerings?

The question hung in the air as the clouds moved across the sky.

This time you may pass, Ladoga whispered, and may my luck go with you through your dealings. Your kind is often blind and deaf. I take your offerings, but often they displease me. I am pleased that you are here to Listen.
Next time you must taste of nutmeg and aniseed, and you will sink your gifts in blood and not in honey. Then I may welcome you to stay, or pass with all your men.
If you bring nothing, I will let you pass, but I will know that you have tired of your men and given them to me.

I hear, great Ladoga. I Listen. In a year I hope to give you your spice in blood.

How sure you are that you will want the hundred. I make you an offer to release you, will you not take it?

As of now, great one, I am bound by love and honour. These men are mine, but their offerings are yours.

With a last deep bow, she released her staff from the ground, and felt the pressure of the great lake lift from her mind. She hadn't fully realised the weight of it until she breathed free again.

As promised, their passing through lake Ladoga was swift and uneventful, and soon Asgaut had led the convoy into the mouth of the river system that would take them down the Volkhov. As they drew closer to the settlement itself, Kildevi felt the need to call her husband to her side.

"Eskil?"

"Yes?"

"What is that?"

He looked at her, amused by her sense of wonder.

"Those are the stone walls of Ladoga."

"They have built a roofless house around the houses?!"

"That is one way of saying it. Most of us would say it's like a palisade of stone, but your way works too."

"What more do they have if they have walls around their village?"

"Believe it or not, but all the pathways in there are straight and crossing like a plaid weave."

"I don't believe it. Who would force a village to grow in a pattern?"

"There is more."

"More?"

"They have put floorboards on the pathways."

Ladoga itself was more than a settlement, more than a marketplace, more than a port. Kildevi could feel the crossroads tug at her as they entered the harbour, a great gate opening to waterways silently tempting her with promises yet unspoken. It was as if she couldn't fully close her mind, as if the great lake had left a passage open for its tributaries to enter. When her foot met the wharf, she could hear them.

Come to me, came the reedy voice of Msta through the murmur of Volkhov, and let me lead you to the mighty Volga, bringer of silk and dirhams, you give me slaves and sables and I will drown you in fortune.

Come to me
, swelled the Volkhov, I will bring you south to sister Lovat who will kiss you all the way down to Dvina and Kasplya, onto sister Dniepr and to riches beyond the dreams you hold so dear.

Come to me
, the Svir hummed, I will bring you to the White sea where you can taste the cold magic of your unknown brothers.

Don't listen to them,
roared Volkhov, you know they seek to thwart your fate! It lies with me, it lies in wait on Ilmen and on loving Lovat and kind Kasplya. Sister Dniepr is waiting, she will wash you clean of the blood of your enemies.

Stop!
She thought, hard and high for them to hear. Be silent! What do you want, why do you beset me?!

This is how we whisper to all who pass, we whisper night and day and call the lives and fates of dreamers.
But you hear us.
We all want you.

"What is it with you today? You're hardly here!"

They were walking down one of the timbered streets on the way to… no. She had no idea where they were headed. Eskil's frustration had seeped into his voice, and she wondered for how long he had been trying to talk to her.

"There are too many here who want to talk to me."

He gave her a hurt look.

"I've been the only one talking to you since we left our lodgings. If you want me to stop, just say so, no need to be snarky about it!"

"No, no, you misunderstand me! It's not you, it's… the rivers. They are filling my head and they just. won't. shut. up."

He stopped in the middle of the street and was almost walked into by an elderly woman who fired off an annoyed tirade in some Slavic tongue as she passed them.

"The rivers. Wait. They are talking to you? What are they saying?"

"Right now they're squabbling about who can give us the most slaves and timber, but just a moment ago Volkhov seemed to have a fight with itself about which tributary to lake Ilmen offered the most beauty."

He looked bewildered. She really couldn't blame him.

"What do you need?"

She shook her head and looked up at him.

"I don't know. How do you make ancient rivers stop talking?"

"I have no idea. This is so far outside what I have ever handled before, the only thing I can do is ask. What do you need?"

"I… I think I need to be alone. Where are we going?" She looked at him again, made a double take. "What … what have you done? Have you always been this beauteous?"

"We are on our way to meet a Karelian merchant who deals in amber, so I put in some effort to look well groomed after a journey with just barely a daily combing, but I'm glad you appreciate it. I can tell him you stayed home feeling unwell in some way." He paused to look at her, worry on his face. "Let's take you back. But don't leave until I return unless someone you trust is going with you."

"I know. I know. I won't walk out and get lost at a strange crossroads without protection."

He returned that evening with a carafe of sweetened wine and a row of amber pearls, his hair and beard still smoothened, kohl around his eyes. The afternoon had silenced the rivers to a low murmur, and now only the slightest call was left, more of a yearning than a whisper.
I'll bring him with me, she thought, still not clear of the difference between thought and speech. That man will follow my fortune, body and all.
Only then she realised that she had thought instead of spoken.

"What are you pondering?"

"You."

"Me?" He poured wine into a cup and handed her, leaning close with the smallest of confident smiles on his lips. "Tell me more."

"I was showing off. Bragging, even."

"Oh, about?"

"A man like you coming back to seduce me with wine and pearls."

"My woman speaks to rivers."

"Your woman has been promised kisses from one. Do you want to beat the Lovat to it?"

"Trust me, the Lovat is a much harsher lover than any man could ever be."

"Eskil?"

"Mm?"

"You know, when I made my offering yesterday?"

"Mm."

"When I spoke to the shore, Lake Ladoga answered me."

He had been dozing, arm stretched out for her to lean on, but now his eyes flew open. She saw him struggle with how to react. Finally, he said,
"What did it say?"

"It told me it expects a tribute of spices drenched in blood next time."

"Then… then I guess we need to bring back enough spices for a sacrifice."

She swallowed.

"There was something else too."

"I'm listening."

"It… it told me that if I come back with nothing, that means it will let me pass, but take the rest of you as tribute."

This time he didn't reply, just stared up at the ceiling.

"I… I said no, of course."

He kept silent for a moment longer, then slowly said, "I actually assumed that."

The silence kept on. None of them could really find something more to say after that.

During their two days in Ladoga, Kildevi never really had the chance to taste its wonders. Even though she had forced some sort of order in her head during the first afternoon alone, she never lost that feeling of sharing her head with entities too self absorbed to ever even think that they might be unwelcome. They sat there as guests in her inner hall, often silenced, but sometimes trying to speak up, always forcing her to consider their presence.

You think these timbered streets special? Wait until you have followed me to Holmgard! There, you will see real timber on the streets!

Volkhov, what did I say about boasting about Holmgard? I'll see it when we get there.

Sadly, that meant she never saw much of Ladoga.

The morning to leave came with a spring breeze, sun shining from clear skies. Four knarrs had been reloaded into eight byrdings, the light river-ships slender and graceful next to the wide knarrs. The same men as before had shifted into new crews. Of those Kildevi recognised, they would share ship with Audvard, Thore, the Paviken brothers, their own two housecarls and Asgaut himself, the two others unknown to her. The unease seeing Ketill and Gotvald board the ship was almost physical, and she made sure to stay no less than an arm's length from Eskil until he started to give her questioning glances and she backed off, not prepared to explain anything to him. She didn't even know what that something would be.

Thralls were loaded too, acquired here to be sold further south. She wasn't sure exactly which would go where, but while some were meant for the Volga traders in Holmgard, others would go all the way down to Miklagard. Their ship carried seven women of varying ages, loosely chained to the stern but could move freely along a third of the ship's length. She noted that all ships carried men or women separated, with the exception of a young man she saw amongst the women on another vessel. The men were fewer on each ship and chained tighter to the sterns, the bigger of them with their hands shackled, but the women were only shackled by the neck or one foot or wrist, unable to leave but still able to walk and work.

When half of the men started to row the ships out into the river, she noted that some of the rest watched the stern with interest. Hopeful, she glanced at the brothers to see if this would mean she could relax again.

Gotvald was among the sternwatchers. Ketill's dead eyes, however, were still fixed on her whenever Eskil turned his back. A slight shiver down her spine, she turned away from him, careful to neither show her unease or meet his gaze by accident.

Thus she stood at the railing, watching Ladoga shrink as their ships moved down the Volkhov, as the soft murmur of the rivers grew weaker and weaker. Her staff safely tucked away in their luggage, she raised her hand in farewell.

As the ships made their way down the Volkhov, Eskil's eyes also darted towards the stern, but for very different reasons. His main concern before they left had been how to keep her out of harm's way. He hadn't actually considered the many minor things that would happen around them that he thought she shouldn't have to see or deal with. Some of them had already come up, like the jargon on everything from war to rape or the heavy drinking leading to rougher behaviour than ever in a house. Now there was the new issue of slaves in the cargo of a convoy crewed by men without their families. He had thought long and hard about how to broach this particular subject, but as the convoy came closer and closer to finding a campsite he realised he just had to take it by the horns and say it. So now he joined her where she sat beneath the prow, watching the passing flood banks. When he sat down, she leant in to rest her head on his shoulder. He cleared his throat, maybe, he had to admit, a bit embarrassed.

"Tonight, things are going to happen on shore. I think we should make camp a bit away from the crews, maybe even sleep on ship."
She glanced up at him.

"I am not sleeping under a skin on deck if I can have a tent on shore."

"I think you shouldn't see or hear what's happening on shore."

"Are you talking about some of the men making use of whichever slaves Asgaut allows them? Because then I think you're a bit squeamish about how sheltered I need to be."

Eskil raised his eyebrows.

"You didn't seem that hardened when you came to us."

She shrugged.

"I've seen and heard men use bed thralls since long before I knew what was happening. I just didn't put much weight on it since I never thought it could have anything to do with me."

She glanced up at him with a sardonic smile.

"At least not until I was alone with Thorlev in an abandoned fish house and he said he'd bring me home to see if his sons liked me."

Eskil grimaced.

"Maybe not father's proudest moment."

"You know that's not what he meant, even though it had me rattled for a while. But as long as I don't have to watch, I'll be fine."

"So, a tent on shore it is, then."

"Yes. And I wouldn't mind if you joined them."

Eskil had been stroking her arm, but now his hand stopped dead in its tracks.

"What?"

"You know, so I don't die in childbirth on a dirty pram one day south of Holmgard. Wasn't that how you phrased it? My flow has returned and I know you won't go without for long."

"I would no more use thralls here than I would at home with you."

"But…"

"I can't leave you anyway, the Paviken brothers have been staring more at you than at the thralls. I don't think they'd take the risk, but I'm not sure enough about that to leave you alone in a tent."

"I am relieved you've noticed, but Thogard could guard me."

"We are not talking about this. I won't."

"So how else am I supposed to avoid you putting a child in me?"

There was a desperate tint to her voice now.

"I don't know, whatever you need to do, I'll spill my seed on the ground if you want me to, but I won't show you the disrespect of using another woman when you're here with me."

"But I want you to! Like I said, I won't watch. You can pretend I'm miles away!"

But he stubbornly shook his head.

"No, that would be choosing them over you. And trust me, it makes a big difference if the other part wants you or not."

"I'll be cold, then. Dead as a fish."

She probably didn't even know how adorable that statement was. Kindly, but not without pity, he replied, "Kildevi, that's ridiculous."

"No, it's not!"

"Yes it is, you light up like a torch with someone who knows how. Don't make a threat you can't follow through on."

Resigned, he sighed.

"You know what. You're right, it's getting too risky to go on as if we were home. So how about nothing on ship and every third day on the routes we make camp or stay in a settlement. You won't try to send me off again and I will try to be careful."

He saw her waver, then she nodded.

"I guess it will have to do."

He solemnly stared into the distance.

"Neither of us is happy, so it must be a good compromise."

Rowing upstream was slow and hard work, the men working in shifts to man the oars. Spring floods made the streams even stronger, and sometimes it felt as if they stood still, the men rowing just to keep the ships from going backwards. Crew was shifted between the ships to keep the rotas going, and thralls deemed strong enough chained to the oars on the ships that carried them.

"The only thing making the spring streams worth battling," Eskil said as he tried to rub his arms and shoulders back to life after one of the worse shifts, "is knowing that the higher water will make the Lovat just a little bit worse than this, instead of almost impossible. Hopefully we won't have to drag the boats over land more than short distances until we leave them at the actual portage."

"I'm beginning to see why you didn't want me along."

He looked up at her, amused smile on a face still shiny with sweat.

"Do you want me to find housing for you in Holmgard?"

Kildevi shook her head.

"No. I have bound myself to your fate. Where you go, I follow."

Last edited:
Part 4: Upstream to Holmgard and the power of a gilded headband
Several times in the upcoming days, Kildevi gained new insights on why men who otherwise had no interest in farming seemed willing to spend an unreasonable amount of time lifting heavy stones, only to carry them from one point to another for no obvious reason. The true reason was this: an hour of limb-wrecking work at the oars, followed by barely an hour of rest before they were back at the oars again.

She wasn't the only one who glanced curiously at the ship Aslaug was assigned to, to see how she kept up, but those who gleefully waited for her to break waited in vain. Several of the less experienced men flagged at the end of their shifts, but Aslaug just kept on. Kildevi wondered if it was a charm from the gods, perfected technique or just pure force of will, because although the row-woman was at least half-again as wide as herself, she couldn't imagine a single woman she knew able to repeat that feat.

"Will you look at that," said Thorven, one of the two men on her ship who had been unknown to her when they left Ladoga. "That's near perfect rowing, that is."

"The fuck did you think?" asked Thores voice from behind. "You think Asgaut would hire a little girl to do a man's job? No, look carefully who she's paired with. All the untested ones are on her rota, and none of them will make a single whine as long as she's going, because none of them wants to show themselves weaker than a woman. They're too fucking green to know that she's using half of their force for each stroke because she's been rowing since before the tits came out and it's in her bones now."

"That's not a woman," Thogard grunted from the oars next to them.

"'Course not, she's one of us now. But it's good fun to see newcomers acting like she's not."

"I heard Hrodulf call her a nasty fighter, " Kildevi said, after having listened in on the whole exchange.

Thore snorted.

"I guess you could call it that. I almost pity the fuckers. No mouthing off, no dancing around, just straight for the most painful maiming in reach. Snapped two of my fingers the first time we met, eight years ago, and they still ache in cold weather."

Thorven grinned.

"Where were your fingers when she broke them?"

"Wrong place. I'm a fast learner."

It took them a good ten days to follow the Volkhov down to Holmgard, and during those ten days, she was the only one not driven to exhaustion. Somewhere around the second day of rowing, she had found new ways to actually be helpful. The rest of the way she walked around feeding water to the rowers and made sure the fire bowl was heated up in time for hot meals at mid day as well as in the evenings when they made camp on shore.

Not only did this keep her occupied, it also made her more a part of the crew than she'd been on the first leg of their journey, when she frankly hadn't filled any other function than as a good luck charm for those in need of one.

On the fourth night, they made camp on a small meadow on the riverside, and as the camp was being built, Thorven and Sigstein returned from a small scouting tour.

"There is a village just over the hill," Thorven reported. "They've seen us, and it looks like they have a couple of men standing sentry by the palisade."

Asgaut grunted.

"This close to the river, plunder is out of the question. This is a well travelled waterway, if the village is still there, they have defences or protection. We don't want the enmity of some chieftain this close to both Ladoga and Holmgard."

He threw a glance at the ships where almost all things needed for the night camp had been unloaded.

"We should take the chance to resupply, though. We have food rations all the way to Holmgard, but beer is running low and it wouldn't hurt with some more raw wool. The wool especially is better gotten from the source than in the trading quarters."

He turned, gaze landing on Kildevi.

"Eskil, can we borrow your wife for a moment? Kildevi, I think you should come with us to the village. No one would bring a wife to a raid, you at the front would show we come with good intentions."

"Of course!" Kildevi replied, and she saw Eskil's face tense in annoyance.

"Yes, you may," he said pointedly.

Asgaut looked between them, obviously amused.

"I'm afraid I have to ask him unless it is clearly within your vǫlvic domain. Eskil, I promise to bring her back safe and sound."

"I know you will, because I'm coming with you."

"You're welcome to," Asgaut confirmed. "But maybe it's better to leave the staff and the cat stole here. Bringing a sejðwife to a Rus village is a very different thing from bringing a tradewife."

"Do you really want to leave the staff here unguarded?" Eskil asked with a frown. "We should ask Eirik to keep an eye on it. That staff contains half a treasure's worth of bronze."

"I don't think that will be necessary," Kildevi replied. "If someone doesn't show the staff the respect it demands, the worse for them. The bronze will melt out of their hands as they see every part of their lives melt away with it."

"If you're sure…"

Asgaut didn't look completely comfortable anymore, and Kildevi realised that the constant tug-of-war between her as the wife and her as the vǫlva was somewhat of a struggle even for him. Eskil very obviously struggled at times, that was only to be expected, but she hadn't fully understood that the rest of their companions would have a problem with the young woman who made their lunch and helped with mending also being a commissary to the spirits that governed fate.

She had been on a steady path towards that power since… to be honest, ever since Sigulf's death, but since she left the homestead the pace had shifted from so slow she barely knew something happened from one month to the other, to leaps in between weeks. Speaking to Ladoga had felt overwhelming, but it had also been what she imagined meeting a king would be - awe inspiring but nothing truly strange. The great lake's designation of the men as hers, not the other way around, had also been so natural it passed her own notice until she saw Eskil's reaction. As of now, it seemed that she herself was the one with the least problem juggling the shifting aspects of subservience and authority.

They had approached the village slowly, with her and Asgaut in front, flanked by only Eskil and an older man called Olaf, who they relied on to translate since he spoke some variation of Slavic from his first marriage. After Olaf had relayed their errand to the sentries, they had been met with a similar set of emissaries, a woman and three men, all dressed in the colourful dress of the wealthier Rus peasants. From their exchange, she understood that the man was the village chieftain, the woman his wife, and he was willing to discuss a trade. A small pavilion was set up, just a small fabric roof on sticks with benches beneath, and they were invited to sit, mugs of drink offered as a bond of hospitality.

While the men talked, she and the chieftain's wife eyed each other. The woman's headdress was oddly beautiful, with circles of bronze shaped into lozenges hanging on each side of her headband over the white veil. The face between the jewellery was marked by age, proud in its maturity. Kildevi was deeply aware of her own simple headscarf, the only thing telling of her status the wealth of beads strapped between her buckles. The woman said something.

"She asks who you belong to? There is no ring on Asgaut's finger."

She opened her mouth to reply, but Eskil had already raised his hand to put it on her shoulder. The chieftain's wife looked between them, obviously taking note of the quality of his clothes and the bronze locket on his scabbard, then she turned to one of their own men and gave a command.

The man returned after a while with a small chest and a leather pouch, and the woman pointed to the white-patterned blue, distinctly svear, beads between Kildevi's buckles. It was obvious that not only beer and wool would change hands today.

Eskil was as sceptical about her newfound love of foreign head decorations as he was about every other change he hadn't suggested himself.

"What are you going to do with a Slavic headband that wide?"

"Why, wear it of course!"

"What's wrong with your old svear headscarf?"

"You, grumpy old man, are welcome to complain the day you stop putting kohl around your eyes."

"That's different. Everyone looks fiercer with kohl."

"And everyone looks more regal with a fully dressed head. But I can borrow your kohl too if you like."

And thus, as the convoy rowed into Holmgard, she stood at the prow with her woad blue headscarf used as a veil over the ash blonde braids and crowned by a wide headband glittering with bronze gilt, her eyes darkened by kohl.
Eskil was right. Everyone looked fiercer with kohl.

Maybe it was the confidence born of that worldly appearance, maybe it was her inner world that just had expanded enough to make her less of a gawking fool, but Holmgard did not overwhelm like Paviken or Ladoga. It was grand, and wealth was everywhere, but the only thing that made her eyes widen was the people in the trading town that had grown over the Volkhov opposite the settlement itself.

"Are we going into the other village at all?" she asked Eskil as they made camp outside the palisade of the riverside market.

"Not unless you really want to. The trade we'll do will be on this side, and unless the winds are terribly wrong we will only stay for two or three days before we go down to the sacred island to leave an offering to the goði of the local gods, and then on to cross lake Ilmen. On the other side of the lake, we'll leave the ships in Rusa and reload onto even lighter boats that hopefully will take us all the way upstream the Lovat and finally be left at the Kasplya when we portage to Smaleskia."

"We're just going to leave the boats?"

He shrugged.

"I don't know exactly what Asgaut and Froðe has planned, but last time, we sold the boats to a man who then sold them on to someone going the other way. I believe they aim for something similar. The byrdings will lie in storage in Rusa."

"So, another change of ship and crew it is, then."

Eskil gave her a sideways smile.

"And a small one at that. The river boats will hold maybe half of each byrding, so it's fully possible we'll find ourselves with our own housecarls and just two more on the next leg of the journey. On the other hand, as the river shrinks we may come to a point where you will have to walk on the banks while one man per boat tries to punt the boats forward with the cargo, and by then no one will care about who is crewed with who."

The market was an adventure of its own, but Eskil had carefully instructed her to not spend much now - even more exciting foreign wares were waiting in Smaleskia and Konugard, not to mention Miklagard itself.

It was a joy just to watch the people, and Eskil pointed out some of the groups for her. The local Slavs and the Holmgard Rus with their temple rings and the woven bands on their garments, so much like those at home yet subtly different. Next the Khazars and the Volga Rus with their wide trousers and sable collared coats. Kildevi stared in awe at their women, who carried the clothes she knew so well from home paired with dirhams and other eastern amulets between the buckles, the finest sable furs draped around collars and shoulders, chains and even more dirhams in their headdresses. Finally she realised some of them stared back.

"What are they looking at?"

Eskil looked around.

"You, probably? I hope you don't think you are the only one who hasn't seen everything yet. They've probably never before seen a woman in a dress from their ancestors' lands, with a vǫlva's stole and amulets, crowned by a blue veil and a gilded slavic headband. Truth is, neither had I a week ago."

But after a while she realised that even though some did indeed watch her, several of the women they passed made a double take at Eskil. He didn't even seem to notice, and Kildevi couldn't help but wonder if he was so used to it he simply didn't see it anymore, or if he pretended not to notice for her sake. Had this happened before? She didn't have his eagle gaze, but surely she would have noticed? Then she remembered the overwhelming excitement of Paviken, and the constant mind fog of Ladoga and had to admit that she wouldn't have seen if a parade of dancing gnomes came down the street, much less if someone looked twice at her husband. When they were alone or on the rivers she seldom thought about their disparity of beauty anymore. That moment forward while they walked through the trading quarters, her heart sank as she could think of nothing else.

Around a third of thralls were sold in Holmgard, and as the convoy continued down towards lake Ilmen, only two ships carried female thralls, the remaining male slaves spread out over the other six.

"It's good to have some strong thralls left for the next part of the journey", Asgaut said with a grim nod south. "The spring streams on the Lovat will test the strength of everyone's shoulders."

With that foreboding comment they pushed out into the Volkhov again, eyes set on the sacred island.

Kildevi was disappointed she wasn't allowed to enter the sacred inner part of the island. Instead, they left their gifts with the holy man at the shore, who blessed their journey and sent them out onto the lake.

Last edited:
Part 5: A storm on lake Ilmen (CW: Cat sacrifice)
The sky had started to darken, black clouds filling the horizon.

"That does not look good," Eskil mumbled, just a few moments before Asgaut started roaring orders.

The storm reached them at the southeast side of lake Ilmen, too far from land for them to reach shore, quickly gaining speed over the open lake. Kildevi sat staring into the ever changing clouds with that intense yet distant look in her eyes that told him that she was watching something else, something beyond the common range of men. Eskil saw her rise, walking across the midship before bending down to fetch her staff from their belongings.

"Hey, you! Keep your ass down!"

She didn't react. Gotvald reached out to pull her back towards the benches, but instead she turned and he was met with a sword's length of iron staff pointed at his chest.

"I don't have time for you," he heard her say. "This will grow worse before it wanes, so find me a sacrifice or at least get out of my way."

Eskil rose, closing the distance to take post behind her and Gotvald backed off at the sudden presence of husbandly authority.

"She's yours. Explain to her that if she goes overboard, we can't fetch her."

"She knows. She also said she needed a sacrifice, so why don't you go get her one."

The gotlander looked back at the storm front as if to discern if it was worth it, then started walking, looking under each oar bench before he started going through the cargo. Quickly, Kildevi took a step up on the closest bench, holding on to the mast as the ship rose and fell on the increasing waves. Shouting to be heard she faced the crew.

"Does anyone here know the hymns? Anyone?"

"You're asking if the men know how to sing sejð," Eskil wheezed. "If anyone does, he won't speak up."

"You don't have to be a sejðmaðr to know the chants!" she yelled back, high enough to be heard. "They are sung as lullabies, you can hear them sung by others, it isn't argr to have a keen ear for songs."

But the men were silent. No one stepped forward.

"So, be that way! If we all die, the argr of a song will be nothing compared to what I'll put you through!"

Struggling against the ever rising wind she forced her way towards the stern where the female thralls had huddled up, shackled on the boards.

"Anyone of you who can hold a chant?" She shouted. "If my countrymen can't help me, I'll make do with whatever chant your mothers taught you!"

The women talked between them. Slowly one of them rose, a dark haired woman a handful of years older than herself.

"What's your name?"

"Deva."

"What do you have?"

The woman looked back and one of the others seemed to translate.

"She says her grandmother taught her the old ways, but she hasn't used them since she was a little girl."

Kildevi nodded and beckoned Deva closer, releasing her shackles.

"Do you understand me at all?"

"Little."

"Good. You'll be my helper."

Behind them, Asgaut and Eskil took each other's measure.

"Your wife just took my cargo. Do you know how easily some of them go overboard in a storm?"

"Feel free to demand it back. She'll eat you alive."

Asgaut looked at her. She didn't look that tough: tall, but so slight he could fit two of her in his own tunic. The wind had torn wisps of ash blonde hair free from the braids beneath her cap, but all he saw was a reasonably pretty young woman far too calm for the danger they were in.

Then she looked up. Her eyes were… He had never seen such eyes before. Later he couldn't remember exactly what made them so terrible, but in his dreams for years to come they held the storm as it swirled and raged within them.

"If she tames the storm, I'll give her the thrall," he said, voice hoarse. "And if she doesn't, two ores of silver will be the least of our problems."

The chant was foreign, but its meaning was not. Resting in the rhythm of Deva's voice, she dipped her finger in the ointment and drew a line across her eyes. Forcing away all distractions from the world around her, Kildevi focused herself into the eyes of the ship cat and let herself fall through the yellow veil of its irises, before she stabbed the knife into its stomach and cut it open. The blood sprayed over her. It covered her cap, her face, it ran down her throat and over the beads between her apron straps as the entrails landed on the shipboards in front of her. With all the strength she could muster, she ripped the body as much apart as she could, skewered it on a spear and handed it to Deva, before picking up her own iron staff, the bronze bear head dulled in the grey twilight. She felt the storm tear at her mind now, the force behind it hungry, malicious. When the first drops of rain hit her face, she felt her hamr open, and her hugr rise. You should not have brought rain, she threw out her thought, don't you know my name? The storm replied in shrieks through the rigging.

Slowly, the storm began to settle. With the waning wind came a hard rain, beating like nails against the deck, and behind it thunder rolled in to meet them from the southwest. Through the frantic activity on deck, Eskil saw Kildevi turn and walk towards the prow. Her linen cap was long since gone, the ties and needles torn loose from her hair, leaving it a mess of braids and strands that lashed around her like whips. Behind her trailed the thrall, still singing through the heavy rain. Her face looked as if she was too scared to sing, but even more frightened of stopping. Kildevi didn't seem to notice, and the men working the sails made way for her as she walked toward the prow, wet, unseeing, bloodied from her belt to the crown of her head. Eskil muttered a row of curses.

"What in Hel's name is she doing?"

The rope he hauled kept him as fettered in place as if it had been used to tie him, and once he realised what she was about to do, all he could do was curse and shout.

"Streð mik! Stop her! She's going to climb the prow!"

He managed to shove the rope into the hands of the next man just in time to see one of their shipmates turn his hands into a step and lift her up onto the railing.

"What are you doing you shitsniveling goatface!?"

"I don't want to die here." Audvard crossed his arms. "Better help'er up, it's safer than'er climbing." Thinking for a moment, he added, "She's not only your wifey, you know. She's the Lady of this ship, show'er some trust'n respect."

Eskil looked up at his wife, who stood on the wet railing with both arms around the slender prow, staring up into the clouds above as the byrding rose and fell, each wave a test of her footing. Through the noise he realised she was mumbling, but her voice rose, spitting what he with sudden certainty knew was stanzas across the roaring lake. The lightning struck a shoreside tree, and she screamed, an eerie sound of rage that cut through the smatter of the rain and the roar of the thunder.

The clouds passed over them. Suddenly, all that was left was a soft rain. Somewhere to the left of them, a cheer went up from the two closest convoy ships, slowly growing visible again through the ceasing rain. Kildevi turned and when he met her black, inhuman gaze he saw the shadow of a smug smile on her face before she let go of the prow and let herself fall, down into the ship and into his outstretched arms. Too tired to lift her head, she glanced up at him with half closed eyes.

"How did I do?"

"I don't think anyone here will ever dare to leer at you again. Not even the two Gotlanders."

"Not even you?"

Somewhere between a sob and a laugh he replied, "I might."

Back at the stern, someone gave up a howl. It spread through the crew, and soon they heard the sound rise from the left, and the right, front and behind as more and more of the slender ships found each other and started to get back into formation.

"What in Njord's name happened there?" someone shouted from the closest vessel.

"Our vǫlva ate the storm!"

A week later there were many accounts of what had happened that day at lake Ilmen, but most of them agreed that she had screamed and then sucked the storm down into her belly. Later, many of them were relieved - some disappointed - to see no swell beneath her dress. Such a child would no doubt be terrible, but it would have been a good addition to the story.

As the sun began to set, they made camp just a short way from the delta at the southern side of the lake. The ships gathered along the shoreline, and men started pouring off the decks, raising tents, building fires, carrying rations on shore. Soon, three big fires were taking off, throwing shadows lit by red and yellow flames. Their crew and two of the others had gathered around one of the bonfires with a beer keg to celebrate being able to sail another day.

"Hey, Eskil, come and join us!"

Eskil had been walking away, now he turned to the fire where Asgaut sat with Thogard and Eirik, waving at him.

"No, I… I think we need to be alone."

A few of the closest shipmates laughed, and their captain raised his mug in salute.

"You're welcome back when you're done."

"I don't think we'll be done."

Asgaut looked towards the ship where the deck still lay bloodied from the sacrifice, and then back towards their tent where a tousled, bloodstained Kildevi stood staring at her husband like a cat ready to pounce, eyes still black from henbane.

"You, my friend, are a braver man than I."

Eskil had never met a night-mære before in the flesh - nor in dreams, if only the sleeping ones counted. She had done things to him in ways he would never have allowed an unpossessed woman, but in spite of its violent nature he found it hard to grasp why being mære ridden was so widely considered a bad thing.
In spite of that, it was a relief when Kildevi woke the next morning, eyes human again, begging ten times forgiveness for the teeth marks.

Next, she opened the tent flap and stared.

"What is all this?"

Eskil looked down at the two crates of various goods and trinkets, spread out in front of their tent.

"Yesterday, you saved the lives of a hundred men."

"We don't know that!"

"Not with absolute certainty, but it's a reasonable guess. This is not a strange amount of gifts."

He frowned.

"Didn't you give tribute to seers where you come from?"

"Never. Father already had the best."

Eskil shook his head in disbelief.

"Why would a vǫlva like your grandmother stay in a house where she didn't receive her due?"

"She was waiting for me."

"And…"

"And then she raised me 14 years before she died. The last two she only saw with her Sight."

"And the next three before my father found you?"

Biting her lip, she paused.

"I was given food and a place to sleep, free to take what I needed but nothing more."

"I have never understood why you didn't leave."

"Where to? I had never left the grounds. My father's new wife told me to weave, so I wove. My brothers told me to serve in the hall, so I served. My father's housecarls told me to make socks, so I made socks. And I went from day to day, waiting for the sign."

"Sign of…"

"Sign that it was time to leave."

Eskils eyebrows rose in surprise.

"You knew when you would leave? I thought you said your first foretelling was in our smokehouse?"

"It was, but she told me before she died. She told me that a sickness would strike the household, and with the men bedridden riders would come and burn our home to the ground. They would spare women, thralls and children not of our blood, but they would not spare me. So when the fever struck around me, I should pack what little I could carry, and when the riders came, go to the old fish house to wait."

"And there you met father."

"Yes."

"I said that you were strange when you came to us, but you didn't act like a servant. You acted like a woman of means who had just arrived in a land where she didn't know which rules to follow."

"I wasn't a servant. I walked in twilight, an unwatered and unnamed daughter, a seer without sight. But I had watched my mother and my father's other wives. I tried very hard to mimic them."

"And then you watched our mother."

Kildevi smiled.

"Yes."

Eskil's forehead was furrowed from a deep frown.

"She didn't prepare you for marriage at all?"

Kildevi shook her head.

"In life, I don't think she ever thought I would be married. I think she assumed I would be on my own, so she explained the ritual aspects of what to use men for, and how that differed from how men use their wives, but there was never much talk of anything else."

Eskil looked sceptical.

"And still you came to us a maiden. Sounds like we have to thank your father for something, at least."

Annoyed, she glanced up at him.

"Trust me, it is very easy to stay untouched in a house where no one is interested. I was surrounded by men, and no one even looked at me."

"Surrounded by men who knew that looking at you for too long would be a slight against Thorvald Vibjornsson, no matter if he had named you or not. He wasn't known to take slights well."

"He didn't care what happened to me."

"Maybe not, but I promise you that he cared about what it would do to his name if other men thought they could touch his women without retribution."

He shook his head.

"Either way, I don't understand why she assumed you wouldn't be married when she was."

Kildevi shrugged, as if the matter was trivial.

"She didn't stay with her husband. I think it was all unnatural and strange to her and she wanted better for me. But no matter why, she stressed no wifely virtues, whatever I knew I picked up from everyone else. And I don't think she saw further into my life than the fish house, back then."

"Better…?"

"Free, both to live and to die."

He gave her a strange look, but didn't pursue it further.

"You make it sound like she knows now?"

Kildevi looked down at her hands, smiling.

"We have seen each other since. And don't worry, she told me I'm better off with you than without."

She realised that strange look had turned into a stare.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"Not wrong. But…"

She grimaced.

"I am being strange again. I'm sorry. I have tried hard not to be too strange to live with, but sometimes I forget, and some things are just impossible to not be strange about."

"You're not, I promise you are not too strange to love. But you talk about things the rest of us only hear about in stories from long ago or far away, and sometimes I forget that's as real to you as this world is to me."

"What did you say?"

"You talk of things the rest of us hear in stories?"

"No, before that."

"That you're not too strange to live with?"

"No. You said love. You have never said that word before "

"I must have said that many times!"

Kildevi shook her head.

"No. I would have remembered."

"That's impossible. I've known that I love you for a year by now!"

"I know that too. That doesn't mean that you've ever said it."

Eskil gave her a suspicious glance

"Have you ever said the word?"

"To you? I don't think so."

"So, do you?"

"I have my sight and my daughter, and yet I intend to stay. I will let that speak for itself."

"So, your thrall. Where is she sleeping now?"

Eskil looked up, squinting at Eirik who stood on deck with the sun behind him.

"You want to borrow her, you'll have to ask the owner."

"I thought I did?"

Eskil shook his head.

"She was gifted as a tribute. No matter how much husband I am, you don't pick a tribute off a vǫlva. And I can't promise away her helper."

Eirik didn't look convinced, but then he shrugged.

"I guess that's fair. Pity she picked one of Asgaut's better ones."

Eskil watched as he walked off the ship to where Kildevi and Thogard were collecting the rest of the luggage to bring on board, just a few paces away. Curious, he couldn't help but eavesdrop.

"So, Eskil said you're the one to ask about that new thrall of yours."

"Yes, she's mine."

"You're gonna let us borrow her?"

"I haven't thought about that…"

Then came Thogards voice.

"You're gonna keep her as your helper all the way down and back again? A swelling belly might be a problem."

"Hm. You do have a point. So, no. Eskil can have her if he wants to, but no one else. I'm afraid you'll have to find your company elsewhere."

Eskil couldn't see her face, but he could hear the smile from the pitch of her voice. He thought a few moments about whether or not she was trying to send him off again in spite of their compromise, or if she just wanted to rub in Eiriks face that someone was allowed, but in the end it didn't matter much. He'd put it down to a matter of respect, and that was a factor of some importance, but the truth was also that he simply wasn't that interested in feeding the body if it didn't also stroke his ego, and he'd never met a thrall truly happy to see him whatever his errand. The good thing about the three day rule, he pondered, was to be met with enthusiasm without having to fight an uphill battle for it. It made things feel new again.

Last edited:
A few notes on the history
(This will be continuously updated as the need arise, or if I just start to think about something interesting.)

Contents:

On guesswork and assumptions
A note about the trade route from the Varangians to the Greeks
The Peryn peninsula
On drugs
On divorce
Why make up new terms for sex work?
The Dnipro rapids
About St Mamas and the Rus-Byzantine treaty of 911
On polygyny, concubinage and wife-lending

On guesswork and assumptions

First of all, this isn't a history book. Loads have been made up, some because there is magic in it, some because what we don't know about a thousand years ago vastly outweigh what we know, and those gaps are by necessity filled by guesswork and assumptions. I am not an archeologist, I just take gleeful joy in reading their articles. So, I have made a shitload of assumptions, based on everything from burial finds to folklore to differing narratives from historians, but there is no way around that every interpretation of a culture far back in the past, with no written records, will say as much about the time and place of the interpreter as it will of the dead culture.

Also, I'll say it again: I am neither a professional archeologist nor historian, just a happy nerd with a university background who was dragged around looking at runestones as a kid. But there has been occasional bouts of re-enactment.

So, with that out of the way… Below, you'll find a couple of notes, a couple of links and a couple of comments. If anyone has any questions about The History ™ not covered here, I'd be thrilled to rant about it to the best of my ability.

Note on the trade route from the Varangians to the Greeks
When I started this second storyline, I did so in the belief that the river road to the black sea took considerably shorter time than I have now come to understand. Then I found a couple of really interesting articles from a handful of expeditions that have tried to take the waterways down the old Varangian route using Scandinavian clincher built ships. There are several differing opinions about exactly which ships were used and other aspects of who and how among the naval archeologists involved in the debate (because, of course there are), but they seem to agree it is very unlikely this trip was ever made in one go without changing ships, nor does it seem likely that any larger vessel was portaged longer distances loaded with cargo, even taking height for pre-modern people presumably being tougher than most modern ones. Instead it seems likely that the places called "portages" aren't stretches where ships usually were dragged over land, but rather where cargo and people were transported over land and loaded into new ships on the other side.

These nerdy heroes have more or less proven the journey can't have been made as earlier 19th and 20th century scholars have come to believe, and I (and everyone interested) should respect their back breaking efforts by taking their experiences into consideration. And I hope that someone, at some point in the future, will make an experimental journey changing to flat bottomed river boats of the type found along in digs along the route, to see how they compare to the Scandinavian type clinker built ships used in previous expeditions.

Anyway, this means that I will have to go back and rewrite a couple of details in the Sister Bear story (basically add a year before the east-farers returns), and have been forced to do considerable fix-up on what I had prepared for this storyline. In the end, it makes it more interesting, so that is okay.

If you're interested in the finds mentioned above, you can check the following links:
https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:193092/FULLTEXT01.pdf (PhLic thesis, Swedish with English summary at the end)
https://arkiv.sigtunamuseum.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SD2009RE.pdf (Peer reviewed article, English)
http://viking-nevo.narod.ru/eng/expeditions/1996-aifur.html (Summary in english of the 1996 Aifur expedition)
https://www.academia.edu/7997759/River_Lovat_a_Varangian_tour_de_force_two_experimental_voyages_on_a_legendary_route_through_Russia (English, comparison of Aifur and Fornkåre expeditions)

The Peryn peninsula in Novgorod
The sacred island outside of Novgorod is a real place, where archeology suggests there has been a sacred rite site dedicated to the old slavic gods since before the first cult in the written records was established in 980. In the latter cult, the only ones with access to the sacrificial circle were the priests (volkhv), and I have made the assumption this was the case for the earlier cults too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peryn

On drugs
Henbane and cannabis seeds have been found in graves that also sported Volva staffs, and it's not a stretch to assume that they have been used for ritual or spiritual purposes. We don't know how. The oracle of Delphi inhaled it, but the same grave that contained henbane seeds (the Fyrkat woman) also contained bases for ointments. Were they used together? Who knows. But they could have been, is my point. Ointments is one of the known ways to administer henbane.
Henbane is hallucinogenic, but it's also an aphrodisiac. I'm not (just) a dirty ol' woman, I have actual sources for post-magical frenzy.

"But…" a worldly reader might comment, "that's henbane, but cannabis is not necessarily a hallucinogen!" And that is a valid point because most cannabis today has fairly low levels of THC, but the cannabis seeds found in the Oseberg ship burial (2 women in one impressively fancy ship with a whole fortune of grave goods) were not well tamed modern varieties, and we have no way to know their level of potency. It has been suggested by some archeologists that hemp was more potent=higher THC-levels back in the days before we started to cultivate them with any sort of health and safety concerns.
https://en.natmus.dk/historical-knowledge/denmark/prehistoric-period-until-1050-ad/the-viking-age/religion-magic-death-and-rituals/a-seeress-from-fyrkat/ (National museum of Denmark about the Fyrkat woman, with links to more about seeresses and Vǫlvas.)

On divorce
The sources we have for the grounds of old Norse women's right to divorce is mainly the sagas and the oldest Icelandic and Norwegian law texts, both with their specific sets of problems (not the least of which is being written down by Christians some 200 years later) but they seemed reasonable so I just went with them, even though there would be cultural and legal differences between the west norse (Iceland/Norway) and the east norse (Sweden/Denmark).
Basically, don't slap each other thrice (this was considered so humiliating it often also included monetary reparations), don't make serious bodily harm even once, keep wealthy enough to put food on the table, don't crossdress, and if you are a man you must have sex with your wife at least once every three years (the opposite was not applicable because of no right to refuse, and thus no right to consent either). And don't force your wife to move too far, if you try to take her out of the country against her will, she also has the right to leave.

I especially find the three-strike rule interesting, because it speaks against the whole image of Vikings being generally violent and brutal in all aspects of life. Slap your wife thrice and she could just declare you an asshole and walk. At least in theory. In practice, she would still need somewhere to walk to. In the background, there is most often both family pressure to keep a union together, and a family honour to defend. If you struck Hallgerd in Njal's saga for example, she wouldn't so much divorce you as just let her fosterfather kill you. Because disrespect to a woman could easily be considered disrespecting her entire family.

Why make up new terms for sex work?
Why would anyone sit down and make up new and extremely time-and-place specific terms for something quite universal? Because sex work historically (maybe presently too, but I know considerably more about the subject pre 1900 than post 2000), maybe more than any other activity in the public sphere, has been framed by a myriad of inside names and codes, both linguistically and in material culture. As late as the 19th century, to ad-lib a Swedish researcher in the history of prostitution who talked about 1890ies Stockholm, we know that there were ways to see, through fashion codes or the like, if someone was selling sex and how, but what those codes were are forever lost to us.
If that's true for the 1890ies, imagine how true it is for the 900s.

But the signals, and the local, extremely culturally situated names were there, and they were important because they shaped a nuanced and messy landscape of social relations: which terms were used, which status of the seller, which status of the client, which practices was deemed basic vs advanced. Thus it felt more true-to-setting to make up a name than to lump all sex work into one category and call it a day. Also, it's simultaneously vague and weirdly specific, only makes some kind of sense, and involves a reference to a "respectable" female profession, which fits the bill for the very few such names that has survived throughout history.

Why don't we know? Because people didn't write these things down even when literate, and if they did, we may not even understand that's what they're talking about. In a way, you can say these names keep filling their original functions all the way from the past and into the future.

The Dnipro rapids
Yes, the rapids in Dnipro is a real thing. Before being flooded by the Dnieper Reservoir in the construction of the Dnieper Hydroelectric station 1932, they cut the river in two navigable sections above and below the 90 km strip where the river goes across a "crystalline shield", which is a term that I as a non-geologist had to check up to even understand.

Anyway, the 7-9 rapids (depending on who you ask, what you group together, and how you define rapid vs barrier) are well attested as a problem in the historical sources left. One of the most important of those is De Administrando Imperio, written around 950 by the byzantine emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus for the instruction of his son. There he describes the rapids and how the Rus transverse them. He also does good service to the modern author in that he describes exactly where pecheneg raiders tend to strike.

It's an amazing source, even though it clearly is based on second- or third hand information. Some of it doesn't fully add up, and there I've taken some liberties, not to mention the wild guess that the now-steppe riverbanks probably were forested in pre-modern times. I did keep the pelicans, though. If a 1050 year old source states pelicans, of course there are pelicans.

The dangers of the rapids is attested on runestone G280, where four brothers commemorate their friend Hrafn who died at "Rufstein" (Rvanyj Kamin), an especially nasty point of the Eyfur/Eifor/Aifor/Aifur/Æifur (old sources tend to be lax about consistent spelling).

Old Norse transcription:
Biartfann staddu þenna(?) stæin Hægbiorn [ok] brøðr [hans] Roðvisl, Øystæinn, Æimundr(?), es hafa stæina stadda aft Rafn suðr fyriʀ Rufstæini. Kvamu vitt i Æifur. Vifill bauð …

English translation:
"Hegbjôrn raised this stone glaring (and his) brothers Hróðvísl, Eysteinn, Emundr(?), who have had stones raised in memory of Hrafn south of Rofstein. They came far and wide in Eifor. Vífill bade ..
(Both from the excellent rundata-net database: Rundata-net )

Since Hrafn didn't have much luck there back in the day, I decided to go with the emperor's approach, because no one really wants to die surrounded by upset pelicans.

Norse names of the Dnieper rapids, with translations (from Wikipedia)
Sof eigi, 'Don't Sleep'
Holmfors, 'Island-Waterfall' (2 rapids, really. They have different names in both Greek and Slavonic)
Gellandi, 'Roaring'
Eyforr, 'ever violent'
Bárufors, 'wave-waterfall'
Hlæjandi, 'laughing'
Strukum, '[at the] rapids'

About St Mamas and the treaty of 911
I have done my best to keep the exact year undefined within the story (it is set, it's not undefined to me), but since we are entering the byzantine realm of administrative record-keeping, I must give away as much as that we are in the years after the 911 Byzantine-Rus treaty but before the treaty of 945. The 911 treaty is a continuation and development of the preliminary treaty of 907.

Why so many treaties? Because the Rus had tried to sack Constantinople as late as 907 (according to The Russian Primary Chronicle but no Byzantine sources whatsoever, so not everyone is convinced), and then again in 941 (that is pretty undisputed). Before that, there had been a little 'incident' in 860 when allegedly the Rus had ransacked the suburbs (that probably happened) and been driven away by the veil of Virgin Mary (there might have been a bit more to that story). As with a lot of stuff during the early middle ages, there is some uncertainty about exact dates and possible mix-ups of timelines, but the Byzantines had good reason to be cautious, is my point.

The treaty covers everything from compensation for goods damaged in shipwrecks, to terms for military service, but the most extraordinary thing in my eyes are the tributes, the provisions, the naked bribery from the empire to keep the "northern barbarians" happy but at a safe distance. We're talking lodging, rations, food, drink, tax-free trade, sails and rigging, provisions for the return trip, all of this to be weighed against strict rules about when they were welcome, for how long, where they had to live, and under which security measures they could enter the singular gate allowed them (unarmed, no more than 50, accompanied by an imperial official etc.). On top of this, there is a weirdly specific cap on silk purchases at 50 gold coins worth per man, as well as an assurance that the visiting Varangians should be drawn as many baths as they wanted.

And that's just in the treaty. The Byzantine administration and political power play was ridiculously complicated and corrupt, and the treaty includes a vague line about levels of benefits applied according to status, which is a blatant opening for bribes if ever I saw one.

There are, of course, good reasons for that generosity. The Kyivan Rus and their Scandinavian friends and allies brought important luxury goods to an empire thirsty for furs, ivory and amber, not to mention the very lucrative slave trade. They also, and this is just as important, brought young, martial men with no earlier political loyalties to the empire's armies, and the treaty specifically mentions their right to enlist in service of the empire.

We are many years before the official founding of the famed Varangian guard in 988, but there were an increasing number of Varangian mercenaries in the city long before that, as stated by the treaties. Not in the numbers of the 11th century, but still a presence.
They seem to have enlisted mainly as individuals, and been spread out in the regular units of the tagmata (as in army/guard units in the imperial city, I'm using a broad definition here), if not yet working in the inner sanctum of the closest royal family by paying their way into one of the units of the Imperial Hetaireia guarding the emperor (those positions were seriously expensive, but yielded good pay and prestige). It should be noted that the term "Hetaireia" can be used about other personal guards as well, and I have assumed they didn't involve an entrance fee like the Imperial one (or if that did, that it was considerably lower).
I will now stop overusing parentheses.

So, on to St Mamas, the only place Varangians not in military service were allowed to settle, as long as they didn't stay over winter. The only thing we have about where that was is the name, and that it was "outside the walls". It is often assumed to have been north of the city, on the other side of the golden horn, but recent excavations (see below) make a case for placing it to the west of the city in east Thrace, along the coast of the Sea of Marmara. I decided to run with that, even though the finds are recent and not very explored yet, both because the other site has no real finds at all, and because it would give a wider range of suburbs and Byzantine infrastructure to play with.

Also, if I had to take a stand on where I think it actually was, I'd place it on the "new" site.
https://www.ur.edu.pl/files/ur/import/private/72/AAR_13_06_Stanislawski_Aydingun.pdf

On polygyny, concubinage and wife-lending
Were the late iron age/early medieval Scandinavians polygynist, harem-building swingers? We just don't know. But the article below (among others) makes a pretty good argument for it.
https://www.brepolsonline.net/doi/abs/10.1484/J.VMS.5.114355

The literary sources are varied and confused, but I for one is pretty convinced the idea of monogamy is one of the things that made Christianity appealing to many women in the higher ranks of Viking-age society. (I also think it was a trap, but…)

Because the outcome and indeed norms and culture of polygyny is a matter of class, which is another reason that Kildevi is the one pointing it out to Eskil. The conclusion is much more close to home for her as a chieftain's daughter than to him who is raised in what is best explained in modern terms as a well-to-do middle class.

It also varies over time and space within Scandinavia. It's worth pointing out again and again that the cultural norms and even laws in a west-goth village will differ from a marketplace on Gotland which in turn will be different from the court of a petty king in Norway.
The only thing we can be really sure about is that we can take modern notions of Hollywood romance and 19-20th century ideas of sexual morality and chuck it out the window.

I'm not disputing the human animal's capacity and indeed very basic function of making deep emotional bonds with each other in many configurations, but the concepts we dress and address them in will differ over time and space, and never, ever be neat, simple and easily put into one-layer models.

Last edited:
Part 6: The harsh love of lady Lovat (CW: Animistic sexual violence.)
CW: Weird, animistic sexual violence.
I think it's really hard to know what to put a CW on and not, but better safe than sorry.

Just like Eskil had suggested, the byrdings were emptied and shored in Rusa, just a short way down the delta where Lovat emptied out into the lake. The high water made it possible to land much closer to the settlement than after the spring floods, and the crews managed to drag the light, clinker built ships up to their storage place at a riverside house owned by a relative of Asgaut's brother in law, or so she had come to understand it. No one really discussed the details of logistics with her, but whenever Asgaut met with Eskil she was allowed, almost expected, to listen in, and she pieced it all together as best she could.

"We'll have to sit here for a while", Asgaut grunted when the non-living cargo had been brought on wagons for transport to the landing, where it would later be loaded onto the riverboats. "Right now the currents are too strong, we want to wait for that exact time when the water is still high enough to get us to the portage, but the currents are safe enough to trudge through.

"And if we don't get all the way to the wagons?"

"Then we send runners to get wagons and a couple of oxen downriver. It will be slow, but we have both warriors and carpenters, we'll still have a decent chance to reach lake Uzmen, and both Dvina and Kasplya will be a joy to conquer after Lovat."

It was a bit of an issue exactly what to do with Deva. Kildevi couldn't even find enough for herself to do most of the time, and yet it felt wrong to have been given a thrall and then just leave her around with Asgaut's, without any sign that ownership had been transferred.
She tried calling her in to help with hair and dressing in the mornings, but quickly realised it disturbed Eskil for some reason. He didn't say anything, but he didn't linger to keep her company anymore, and she appreciated his company more than help with the comb and pins. Next, she tried leaving her the mending, but that left her own hands so idle she found herself making useless embroidery instead, and she liked the mending better. Finally she settled for leaving Deva alone with the rest of the thrall women to do whatever they did, but left her one of her own wooden bear head shawl-pins to mark her. She had sung the hymns for a vǫlva, after all. It was only fair she had something that made her stick out from the rest.

The days went by, and a week past Ilmen, Eskil was still marked by the aftermath. Bruises, scratches and bitemarks covered his shoulders and chest, some of them with sharp outlines of teeth visible if you knew what to look for. Every time she saw them, she felt the sting of her bad conscience, equal parts shame and embarrassment. He had assured her it was nothing to worry about, but still, she had a gnawing feeling that in bed with their wives was a place where most men didn't have to worry about being bled.

"Are you sure you're fine?" she asked for perhaps the sixth night in a row. "I hate to be the one who gave you those."

"How much do you even remember?"

She shook her head.

"It's all very confused. I have flashes of memory, some view of looking down at you, a feeling of joyful rage, a wish to break and devour you that must have come from the outside. But my mind wasn't exactly clear. I just feel terrible for leaving you bleeding."

"I promise you, I've taken worse cuts for less fun."

"Fun?" She stared at him in disbelief. "You thought that was fun?!"

He replied with the smallest of shrugs, and she felt her own thoughts make a sharp turn.

"Do you want to try it in your dreams next time?"

Now he was the one whose eyes widened.

"You can do that?"

Kildevi took a moment to visit some old memories of lessons and storytelling.

"I know how, at least, and understand the knowledge. I've never tried it, but I see no reason why it should be harder than anything else. And who better to practice on than someone I can find like a beacon?"

"You can do that?"

She shrugged.

"At least if you're close by. You bear my mark all over you. Not a single creature can miss whom you belong to."

"What exactly do you mean by your mark…?"

He sounded reluctant for the first time in this conversation. For some reason it annoyed her no end how he had no problem with being defeated and beset by her raging power, as long as no one said in plain speech what that really entailed.

"I mean that if you look through the portal to the other side, you are the one trailing after me, and assumed my duty to protect. If that is a problem for you, maybe you should go and find yourself a wife skilled in housekeeping and nothing else."

She didn't hear how much rage and disdain her voice carried until it was too late for it to soften.

"That is a ridiculous overreaction to a simple question."

"Is it?"

"Yes." A sullen silence stretched out way longer than comfortable before he added, "and maybe it would be easier for me if you ever showed me a trace of respect as the head of this family."

Her head snapped up.

"You think this is how I act when I don't respect someone? I follow you everywhere!"

"Yes, questioning every move I make!"

"But you still make the moves! I don't decide our direction, I don't overthrow your decisions. I just point out when you're being stupid, which by the way is pretty much the duty of a first wife, if your mother is to be believed. But maybe she isn't woman enough for you either?"

She could see something break free behind those pale green eyes, and he snapped, "At least she's the height of one!" (You don't even look like a real woman.)

So, that was where he wanted to take this? Fine.

"Well, I wasn't the one using dirty tricks to get into you all the way past Ladoga!" (And yet you obviously want me waaay more than I want you.)

"Maybe I'm just not as shallow as you are." (Yes, in spite of how you look.)

"Of course you're not! Beauty alone is worthless, you've told me, and you should know!" (All you've ever had to offer is your looks, and we both know it.)

He bit down. She was very happy to see he could still do that. But when next he tried to sound reasonable, she wasn't falling for it.

"How did we go from your lack of respect for me, to throwing insults at my appearance?" (You are being unreasonable, and I'm really the victim here.)

"We didn't. I called you pretty. As far as I know, that's not an insult." (I'm not the only one being unreasonable, and you're not a victim, you're an idiot.)

She consciously straightened her back to her full length and continued. "You, on the other hand, called me too tall to be a woman at all, which is curious considering you seem very aware that I am one in every other aspect possible!" (You condescending, egotistical little shit, who expects me to mend your socks and spread my legs whenever you feel like it.)

"Calling someone tall is not an insult. You know, as opposed to calling someone too pretty to be good at anything else." (I'll ignore all the rest of what you said, because this thing here actually hurt, and that means you are the one who's being mean.)

"I didn't actually say that." (No, I'm not.)

"You heavily implied." (Am too.)

"And you felt that fit perfectly, I suppose?" (But if the cap fits, wear it.)

"Oh no, don't try to pretend that wasn't what you meant!" (And now you're being mean again, voicing the worst of all insecurities I had in my youth.)

She tilted her head, staring at him for a good long while, before she spoke again.

"You know what? You're right. I could be more subservient and dutiful. And I will be. Let's see how you like it."

It was hard to bend her head and ask his permission for absolutely everything. But seeing how it annoyed him made it all worth it.

The spring floods ultimately gave them just that week-long wait in Rusa before Asgaut, his relative, and three of the other most experienced rivermen among them, all agreed that the river looked as kind as it would ever be. Contrary to Eskil's guesses, the river boats were not much smaller than the byrdings, but they were flat bottomed and light, and very clearly not built to sail the open sea. Just like before, she and Eskil were added to the crew of Asgaut's ship, and this time, she didn't have to worry about the gotlanders. Apart from them, they were pretty much crewed with the same people as the byrding, much to Kildevi's relief, because she wouldn't be as comfortable bending her head in front of people who had never seen it held high.

Thus, after a night and a morning of pointed incompetence at governing herself, she remained on shore, looking lost, until finally Thore hollered: "Aren't you coming?"

"I'm sorry, I am awaiting my husband's permission."

Eskil sighed.

"Will you please come aboard, dear wife. It is time and we are all waiting for you."

Head still modestly bent, she climbed aboard to prudently sit down out of the way of the men, eyes fixed down on the deck boards. Finally, with a pleasant smile on her lips, she picked up the hated embroidery yarns and began to add tiny waves to the hem of one of his undershirts, humming happily. He ignored her at first, but once he seemed to notice exactly what she was doing, and on what, he bent down to hiss.

"Why? Why are you embroidering something that will never be seen unless I'm half naked?"

She looked up at him with tender eyes and a gentle giggle.

"Because idle hands are useless hands, dear husband. It will not do to sit here just dreamingly watching the flood banks."

That jaw of his was tense now. The irate tone in his voice, on the other hand, had been there since sometime this morning, when she'd asked his preference on every piece of her attire he had ever voiced an opinion about, just to make sure she dressed to his liking.

"Why not? It's what you've done most of this trip."

"Oh, but as you know, I have seen the error of my ways and am now dedicated to becoming the best wife I can be for you. I will work hard to be the wife you deserve."

"I don't deserve this."

"But you do! As you pointed out, I have been terribly disrespectful."

"What's with her?" Thorven asked Eskil as they set sail upstream.

"She's just trying to make a childish point," she heard him reply through satisfyingly gritted teeth.

The first day was all smooth sailing, even in the literal sense, since the winds were just strong enough to make sailing upstream possible. As they made camp that night, she kept up her charade, carefully arranging their sleepskins in the tent, fetching his food and drink for him, even snatching the mug out of his hands with a demure little nod when he tried to fill it himself. Some of their shipmates had started to snigger by now, and it seemed to make Eskil not one bit happier. In fact, he even used his newfound authority to send her to their tent while he stayed up a good while longer. When finally he came back to sleep, she carefully draped the blankets over him, tenderly tucking him in before she hesitated, wide eyed.

"I am sorry, dear husband. Did you want to find release in me tonight? Because surely I should be ready to grow more children for you now, wherever we may be."

He lay on his back, thin lipped, with his hands behind his head, eyes fixed on her face.

"What is it going to take to make you stop?"

"Stop? Isn't this what you wanted? I am just trying to live up to your expectations!"

He shook his head.

"We both know that's not what you're doing."

"If I have in any way displeased you, dear husband, I must ask your forgiveness."

"What do you want from me?"

"Are you… are you saying you liked the haughty, disrespectful wife better?"

"If that's what it takes, yes." Teeth still bit down, he continued, "I didn't ask for this. I simply asked that if someone asks me a question, you wait for my reply before you jump on it."

She was quite sure that wasn't all he'd meant the night before, but being both humble and gracious in victory, she decided not to rub his nose in it. For now.

Great winds kept them in sails and helped the oars along, and the next three days took them a good way further down the river. Kildevi started to believe the worries and complaints about the Lovat were just an exaggeration aimed to rattle her. When on the fifth day the river turned narrower and sections of whitewater appeared, she realised they might have passed the easy section of the river.

"It will go downhill from here," Eskil commented solemnly.

"I wish this was downhill!" Thorven replied. "Downhill means downstream, and we'll have to drag and punt these flatbeds upstream past more boulders than our ship vǫlva has ever seen in her life."

"And I was born between forest clad cliffs and named from a mountain spring, so that does mean something," Kildevi replied, not really questioning his assessment.

Come the eighth day, they stood aground among stony rapids, all eight of them pushing to get the vessel free from the boulders and gathered debris. Kildevi's feet felt dead from cold, her shins raw from twigs forcefully hitting her legs as the water rushed around them. The river stood high, but the currents were so strong they had to keep to the sides to keep the vessels moving.

On day nine, she tugged her first rope to pull the boat from shoreside, lending her weight behind Thorven who was the slightest of the men, and she soon found that in tugging, weight was as much a factor as strength.

On day ten, she once again waded out into the ice cold water to help draw a rope around another ship, stuck in one of the seemingly endless minor rapids along the Lovat's steep fall towards lake Ilmen. This time, though, she slipped on top of a boulder, sliding gracelessly down its side to strike another. That, in turn, sent her onto the rocky river bed, where she landed on all fours, and was left with bleeding grazes all the way down her knees, shins and elbows.

Eskil helped wrap her up and handed her a good cup of the strongest beer he could find on the convoy, but also teased her endlessly for every whine, every complaint. He even made an overdramatic show out of doting on her when she dared voice the opinion that maybe he could raise their tent on his own because her elbows hurt.

"How come you say that you love me, and yet you find such undiluted joy in my pain?"

"Ah, but one of the most loving things you can do is to push your loved ones to a life remembered. You want glory? You want adventure? Stop whining over some scratches and a few bumps into a boulder."

"I'll remember that," she replied, sourly. "Next time you complain about new fashions or unfulfilled desires, I'll just tell you it's all a part of my plan to push you to greatness."

"Of course you should, that's the sort of love I was raised on!"

Cold water rushed over her, cold stars above, cold stone below.

Something touched her foot. Glancing down her gaze met the cold grey eyes of herself.

No.

Not herself.

The creature slowly crawling up her bleeding legs wasn't her, but an exaggerated likeness, all her features more: eyes larger and greyer, hair longer and lighter, too curved of mouth, too tall of shape, too slender of figure.

The pale hair flowed out into the water, its lengths white like the foam at the tips. The creature opened its mouth. Its slithering tongue played over her wounds, licking at every strip of broken skin. Warmth spread from every drop of blood it devoured as it slowly worked its way up her leg, over her knees, where it prised yet another red drop from half-closed scabs. She tried to move, but couldn't. Body frozen, she felt the cold white lady follow her thigh up, tongue playing, teeth cutting, drawing new blood on her inner thigh, and where her stomach met the mound of Venus.

"You are not I."

"No."

"You are the one from whom I have been promised kisses."

"I am."

"Volkhov didn't tell me you would take them in blood."

"Never trust a river."

Her face was even more inhuman now, cheekbones wide and high like gnarled roots, mouth impossibly wide to show teeth like sharpened flint. They dug into her flesh, a drop of fresh blood trickling down the side of her waist.

"Your blood tastes of helplessness and honey. You will give me more, or I will take it all."

"If I do, will you still demand kisses?"

"Ten times a thousand."

"If I give you my blood to drink and my lips to kiss, will you carry us safely to our portage?"

"I will."

"What will it cost me, apart from my blood, freely given?"

"In spring, I am a harsher lover than any one man could ever be. My love will leave you drowning."

She woke from Eskil softly shaking her shoulder.

"Wake up, ástin! Wake up! Are you… are you well?"

Her eyes met his for two panicked blinks, then she threw herself out of the tent and retched uncontrollably. When she looked down, she froze. All that had come out of her was clear, cold water.

"What was that dream?"

They sat inside the tent, a small oil lamp burning between them, all but their faces in deep shadow. She wrapped the blanket tighter around herself, cold without him close for warmth.

"Lady Lovat tasted my blood today, and she favoured it."

He didn't panic like she thought he would. Instead, his jaw set in determination.

"We must get you off the river as soon as possible."

Kildevi shook her head.

"If I willingly sacrifice some to her, she will not take the rest. How many days do we have left?"

"To the portage? Hard to say, but I'd say… fifteen? Eighteen? Why?"

"Because she also wants my dreams, and she is not the most considerate of lovers."

His eyes on her were intense now, there was worry there, but also… something else.

"What exactly do you mean by twisting that statement of mine?"

"Every kiss will be a drowning."

She could see the conflict unfold on his face, and this time she had room to feel for him.

"Would you say that this dream is on your side of that portal of yours, or on mine?"

"This is definitely not in your realm."

He hesitated. When he spoke next, the words came laden with doubt, but nonetheless he said them.

"Then I guess I will have to live with whatever decision you make. Even if you take a lover in my absence."

She grimaced.

"That is not what this is. I won't be taking anything."

"I demand that you do."

She stared, momentarily speechless.

"You demand that I place myself above the Lovat?"

"If you are to be the head of us, I expect you to not lessen us both by being used. You take what's yours. You shape your fate."

"She's an ancient river, not a man. And if Thor, or even Oðin himself, had wanted you, would you demand they bend to your will?"

"Yes. That's what you should be able to expect of me. If I am demeaned, so are you, your honour is bound to mine. That is the true meaning of the bond we share."

"But that's an impossible demand. You might as well tell me to defeat a warband."

"You take a man's role, you take a man's place."

Maybe it was something about the night, the stillness of those cold, empty hours of morning, but things that usually annoyed her, didn't. Instead, she knew why that statement made sense to him. When she replied her voice and words were soft, but final.

"None of us are men. None of us are even trapped in our own shapes, and this is not a lovegame, it's a tradegame. Your idea of what it means to be a man does not apply here."

They stared into each other through the long silence. He did not lock himself down, or snap to the defense, or even fall back to that proselytising calm of his. She was so proud of him her heart could burst.

"Then I will say it like this, I trust you to do whatever honour and dignity demands. If this is a tradegame, I expect you to win it."

"That, I can do. For both of us."

Through the heavy weight of that solemnity, she smiled.

"Imagine that once, you thought that paying my mundr was complicated. How I wish we could just pay someone to draw the lines now."

It was harder than she thought, to force the blade deep enough for the blood to flow in a steady trickle down her arms and into the river. As before, the men stood silently watching, but this time they were the ones gathered on the beach, she the one out in the water. This close to the river bank it moved slowly around her knees, but further out she saw the currents flow in rapid streams down the falling river.
How much was enough? The task had her light-headed as the first droplet broke through the skin, that simply could not be of blood loss. After a while, she determined it would have to do. It was purely based on nothing, but the trickle had slowed, and it felt like a time as good as any. She raised her voice to dedicate the sacrifice to Lovat for safe and speedy travel before wading ashore. There was no sign or omen on the river. If Lovat was pleased with her offering, she was waiting for sleep to show it.

That day, the streams were milder, and they could keep the boats further out from the riverbank. Only one boat went aground, once. Those who didn't bleed found the sacrifice well worth it.

That night, Lady Lovat came in the shape of a wolf, fur white, eyes just as grey as before. It stood above her frozen form, but this time there was no river below her, no water running down her limbs.

"You named a price of blood and kisses. Why am I bound?"

"So you will not escape me."

"I alone cut, I alone bled, I alone called you. I have chosen to be here."

"I want you helpless."

"Yet our agreement said nothing of bonds."

Slowly, she regained control of her limbs, first her hands and fingers, then it spread until her body was firmly hers again, and she reached out to dig her fingers into the thick ruff.

"Our agreement said nothing about you touching me."

"You named yourself my lover. Lovers touch."

The wolf tilted its head, a strange gleam in the bright eyes, then slowly started licking the wounds on her feet.

Kildevi woke, panicked, light-headed. Her lungs hurt, her legs cramped, and for the second time she retched and coughed out clear river water, the taste of snow stuck on her tongue. It wasn't until she staggered back into the tent that she realised Eskil wasn't there.

She found him at the still glowing embers of one of the fires, curled up to sleep but still awake. She sat down behind him, stroking the hair away from his face.

"What are you doing out here?"

"Couldn't sleep inside."

"Will you come back if I promise to stay awake?"

He sat up, finally looking at her.

"It didn't look like pain."

"Then your mind deceives your eyes."

"Tomorrow, I'll sleep with the housecarls."

It felt like a punch, pushing the breath out of her still pained lungs. Unwilling to show weakness, she forced her voice level.

"You do what you need to, the same as I."

All of the convoy knew of her sacrifice in blood, their shipmates knew that Lovat haunted her dreams, only Eskil knew how. The few who asked why he helped raise her tent but didn't sleep in it, were told her nightmares disturbed his sleep, which was the truth, of sorts.

Five nights later, Kildevi did not look well anymore. She sat at the prow, pale and worn, eyes sunken and hair tousled. Eskil made sure she ate and drank something that was not water from the river, but he was at a loss about what else to do.
They were making good speed. The river was kind.

On the seventh day, Audvard cornered Eskil against the railing.

"She doesn't look like she should."

"I know."

"She looks like my ma did when she had twin babes and three toddlers alone."

"What you see here is nothing like motherhood," Eskil snapped, annoyed. "She only sleeps a quarter of a night and wakes up from each one less rested than before."

"I know. But my ma got wrong in the head from not sleepin and drowned one of them. We don't want our seer to go that far."

Eskil stared at him. That was not something he had been prepared to hear in this particular conversation.

"No. You're right. We don't want that."

"So, as her husband, what are you goin to do about it?"

That was the core of the issue, and he was handfallen. Angry about that as much as about being questioned, he bit out, "this is a family issue. Last time I checked, you're not her family."

Audvard crossed his arms, brows low and furrowed.

"She sleeps alone, with those nightmares. Wakes alone. Cold. Pukin'er guts out every night. Me and the boys, we hear'er, pukin and cryin and coughin. And we're all wonderin why there's no one keepin'er warm and sittin guard. You seemed to be good about'er before, but if you don't man up, we'll be takin shifts, me and some five-six other, with'er thrall as witness no one is untoward."

"You don't get to tell me how to treat my own wife. If anyone tries to pass me to get to her, he'll be dead by morning."

Audvard dropped the frown, but he didn't budge.

"I'm not lookin to challenge your husbandry. I'm just sayin that she bled herself to the river for us, seen'er do it twice more too when she thought no one's lookin, and I'm thinkin that's why she's not sleepin. We should do right by'er. That's all I'm sayin."

That night, he raised their tent and put his sleepskins back where they belonged. She looked a bit lost when he followed her in and she saw that he had made himself a place next to her again. Then her confused expression turned to worry, and finally something he could only read as sadness.

"Are you… are you still counting? Because you didn't come three nights ago and I thought… I don't know. I don't know what I thought."

She thought, she really and truly seemed to think he had come back to lie with her and leave again. The thought was upsetting.

"No. I'm not counting."

"So… Why are you here?"

"Because I should have been here all along."

She shook her head, face set in stubborn determination.

"No… If I make decisions out of your control, I should carry them myself. This was a decision I made against your will, even though you accepted my right to make it."

He smiled, but it came out as a strained grimace.

"That is… true. It is the way I have seen it when I've made decisions for us against your will or for myself in your absence. But this never was about your wishes though, was it? And the cost to me is nothing compared to your sacrifice."

She shook her head.

"I would much rather sleep and not wake up drowning, if that is what you mean."

"It is. So, here I am. A bit late, but here. And no, I will no more claim any rights to you now, than I did when you bled after Alfhild's birth."

She climbed down between the skins, silent for a moment.

"Eskil?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me…"

She smiled. It was a tired smile, but still a smile.

"...you can't afford that many chickens anyway, I know."

"I wasn't going to say that. I have learned, remember?"

It was still torment to watch her twist and turn and cry and whimper, but this time it didn't feel like being made a cuckold. It just made him feel helpless.

Tonight, the Lovat was human again. Or, maybe not human, but she had two feet, two arms, a face with every common feature and all other aspects of a human figure. Yet the sum of the parts were not like any human born to one.

"Every night, you have played a game of words."

"I have. It is what humans do."

"Tonight, I too will be human. I have called myself a harsher lover than any one man could ever be."

"As long as you don't twist the meaning of that word."

"I know its meaning. I will love you with the weight of every man I've ever drowned."

A few days later came the fever. When she staggered out of the tent to cough the water out of her worn lungs, she was shivering and sweating, weak and pallid.

"You have to stop. We must get you off the river."

She looked up at him with glassy eyes.

"How many days? How long until we reach the portage?"

"I'll ask Asgaut, but I think we've made good speed, better than planned. I hope it's two, or three at most."

"Then we keep going."

One day with fever, and one more night had passed. This time it had just been the river, currents tearing her naked form downstream like a log or a boat torn from its mooring. But there had been sentience, the water whispering as it forced itself into and around her, and in the dream, there had been no silence to call for shelter.

She just half-lay in the boat now, covered by blankets, head propped up for ease of breathing. The men worked around her, only lifting her out of the boat when they had to pass one of the small rapids that appeared more and more frequently. All movement made her short of breath, her breathing shallow in rest. Eskil forced her to drink, but solid food stuck dry in her throat. Her coughs brought up lumps of brown and yellow, sometimes with traces of fresh blood visible in the phlegm.

"You need to get off the river," Eskil told her for the seventh time that day. "I beg you. You're not dying yet, but you look like there isn't much left until you are. Just say the word, and we'll leave. It won't be fast, but I can carry you, and enough rations and equipment, to get us the last way."

"What will happen to the…" she waved her hand, confused by the ravishing fever. "...the rest, the men, the boats, the cargo?"

"I don't know. I don't care."

She waved her hand, a small smile on her lips as she looked at something in the air in front of him.

"I can't row. I can't fight, I can't sail. But this, I can do."

They had indeed made good speed. That night, Asgaut said they would reach the portage point somewhere mid-day on the morrow.

"Hush child. Don't cry. Big girls don't cry for scrapes and splinters."

"You are not her. You are not the one who loved me first."

"How can you say such things, and yet you cry?"

"Because I know that you have taken hold of my dearest memories, and will now do your best to soil them."

Mavdna's face, a perfect likeness, watched her from above, calm like always, her youth the only wrongness to hold on to. She had seen her amma like that once before, and that too was in a dream. But this was not her. She had to say it, to herself and to the creature, over and over again, lest she forgot.

"I will not. These memories are not yours. They are mine. This face you see, the love in these blue eyes, comes from her. I have loved her too, like I have loved you."

"When?"

"Your time has no meaning. But tonight, I will drown you in another love, one less carnal, no less violent. I will drown you in your longing. It is my farewell gift to you before you leave me with the final taste of your blood."

This last night, Eskil had to lift her for the water to spurt from her mouth to the ground, the cough leaving her lips a bluish tint, her skin a pallid grey. With the water came speckles of thick phlegm, and clots of blood the size of small peas.

"This was the last night."

She nodded, a weak gesture to confirm his statement.

"If for some reason it's not, I will start walking. No matter what you say. I won't let you sleep close to the river again. I won't let you decide to die, no matter which realm or domain."

Her reply was just a small smile at first, then she whispered, "one last thing. One last bloodletting. Then, I have won. For us."

"Are you mad? Which part of 'won't let you die' was unclear to you?!"

"I think it is what cuts the bond. But I need your help. I can't do it myself, not anymore"

At the shortest point from the river to lake Uzmen was a village grown out of travellers' needs for wheels and oxen. At that last stretch, the Lovat twisted back and forth, several times forcing the men to leave the boats to tug the prows around the sharp turns.

When finally all the vessels had been unloaded and dragged up on land, Eskil unwrapped the bandages around her arms and carefully washed the scabs off in the river. It was clear from the wounds they had been opened before. Not once, not twice, but often enough to never really close. He wondered how much of her fever that came from her lungs, and how much that came from half-deep wounds that tried to heal, but couldn't. She grimaced as he worked, standing on her own two feet, but her weight rested on him as she leant heavily against his side.

"You will carry these scars for the rest of your life," he said, as he softly pushed the sides apart to force the wound open.

She tried to smile, face stiff from pain.

"I'm lucky you like my scars," she mumbled.

"I do. And whatever stupid things I've said, I like your height too," he replied, as the first drops fell from her arm and down into the water.

The blood didn't disappear into the river straight away. Instead it stayed like a marbled pattern in the water, circling around them once, twice, before some small current got ahold of it and carried it downriver.

It was too late in the afternoon to make the portage before dark, but when they made camp, Eskil raised their tent as far from the river as possible. Kildevi had been asleep the moment he had put her down, half sitting in one of the carriages. When the camp was built, he carried her on into the tent and sat down to watch her sleep.

It wasn't a calm, restful sleep, but at least it was the strained sleep of the sick, not the unsleep of the ones beset by rivers.

Back