Original Evangelion is coming to Netflix in 2019

oh boy i can't wait for a new generation to creepily sexualize two fourteen-year old girls.

I love the series but oh boy, the fandom.
forTwentyYears.jpg

Yeah, like the other person said, it never stopped. Even if the new gen hadn't seen the show yet, they almost certainly ran into a few of the meme.

forTwentyYears.jpg

Yeah, like the other person said, it never stopped. Even if the new gen hadn't seen the show yet, they almost certainly ran into a few of the meme.

I cannot wait for a whole new batch of people hoping that Shinji starts a relationship with his mother's clone who is possessed by the amnesiac consciousness of the progenitor of the human race.

Because Anno couldn't be satisfied with going No Holds Barred Freudian. He had to go Ultra-Mega-No Holds Barred Freudian.

Last edited:
Not even a hot take: Shinji is one of the best depictions of clinical depression in media and I think the backlash against him is a mix of hitting too close to home for some, ingrained social stigma against people with mental health struggles, and much of the audience wanting Eva to be something it isn't.

One day I realised

You know maybe the reason Shinji don't want to get in the robot is because he saw it kill his mom when she tried to do it

Last edited:
I'm just wondering if I should save a few of the better rants about how Shinji's attitude and eventual mental breakdown is actually pretty understandable, that all the adults are at least kind of shitty, and that most people wouldn't be all that much better adjusted if they were shoved in his shoes, and most of them would probably do worse.

On the one hand, it would be interesting to watch the new fandom, many of them only knowing of the show from osmosis, as it potentially goes through the same patterns of fanon and contempt for the main character, or if they decide to go in entirely new directions of not understanding the themes of the show. Will they be absorbed into the old, bitter, embattled hold outs of the shipping wars, or will the potential revitalization of the shipping wars be fought largely separate from the old guard? I wasn't into the fandom when the wars were truly raging, so I'm a little excited to potentially see a rekindling of those old conflicts. It's been twenty years, and some part of me wonders, with reboots, rereleases, and more spinoff material, how long could a shipping war last? Could fandom reach the point where we see a Hundred Year Shipping War?

On the other hand, I'm farmed a lot of likes from defending Shinji on the internet, and I do have a neverending lust for more positive ratings...

Also, I guess, like, it's kind of a classic show, or at least, one with a huge influence on the genre, so maybe I should, like, at least try watching it at some point, and this might be a good opportunity.
I await Tumblr to take on NGE and make the kind of fan content it does for other cartoons.

Would Tumblr really renew the ship war, though? I can't exactly see them catching onto Rei, what with how infamously little she cares for her own well-being.

Shinji/Kaworu already has a considerable following on Tumblr and I imagine will continue to hold its own against the Big Two when Eva hits Netflix.

oh boy i can't wait for a new generation to creepily sexualize two fourteen-year old girls.

I love the series but oh boy, the fandom.

Implying both the show and Anno hasn't been whoring out the cast and the two proto-waifus forever. Nerv's shilled how many toasters and motherboards now?

And now I'm reminded if they're real people, both A & R would be in their 30s.

And I'd be older then them. Fuck.

According to tweets by Amanda Winn Lee as well as Facebook posts by both Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer, there is a very strong possibility that the series would be redubbed for the Netflix re-release.

Both Tiffany and Spike are more than willing to reprise their roles and rerecord lines for the new dub, and have asked us Evangelion fans to spread the word through social media with the hashtags #spikeisshinji #tiffanyisasuka #amandaisrei #allisonismisato

Also, I just got off a chat session with a Netflix Customer Service rep (and his/her manager) - they said we need to petition whichever third-party company is handling the redubbing if we want to see Tiffany, Spike, Amanda and Allison Keith reprise their roles. Unfortunately, they weren't able (or willing) to provide contact details for said third-party production company/agent.

According to tweets by Amanda Winn Lee as well as Facebook posts by both Tiffany Grant and Spike Spencer, there is a very strong possibility that the series would be redubbed for the Netflix re-release.

Both Tiffany and Spike are more than willing to reprise their roles and rerecord lines for the new dub, and have asked us Evangelion fans to spread the word through social media with the hashtags #spikeisshinji #tiffanyisasuka #amandaisrei #allisonismisato

Also, I just got off a chat session with a Netflix Customer Service rep (and his/her manager) - they said we need to petition whichever third-party company is handling the redubbing if we want to see Tiffany, Spike, Amanda and Allison Keith reprise their roles. Unfortunately, they weren't able (or willing) to provide contact details for said third-party production company/agent.

I honestly wouldn't mind a new dub as long as I can also listen to the old dub when I want. Netflix already has the technology for multiple audio tracks so it wouldn't be hard to do that.

That reminds me, whose fault was it for Rebuild 3 apparently having such an awful dub that it hasn't even been released yet?

It's a Funimation product I believe. I highly doubt it has anything to do with dub quality- Funi has put out plenty of bad, and other times very questionable dubs (writing side especially) in the past. I have no idea what's going on with it since, if nothing else, they typically don't have their projects wither on the vine like this until literally nobody cares about them.

I think a new dub with the original cast, or as many as they can get, would be great. The original dub was pretty decent for its time and a new one would, one would expect, to have better recording quality, ADR, etc. I hope that pans out.

Also I can't wait to see brand new hot takes about what a bitch Asuka is. Sure never got enough of those.

The original dub was pretty decent for its time
Okay, so this is of course a matter of taste and is highly subjective, but I remember watching a episode of the Eva dub on Toonami or something... At the time, I was watching a lot more anime dubs, everything I saw on TV was dubs and most of the purchased anime tended to be dub only.

Anyways, all that is to say unlike me recently, who had only watched 1 series dubbed in the past 5 years (cause my sister forced me to), I had seen and was familiar with several dubs. And, imo, that Eva dub wasn't just bad, it was really really bad. It was probably one of the things I saw that really started to turn me off dubs.

Anyways, I don't really care since I'm never gonna watch the dub anyway, but if they are already paying to redub it, why wouldn't they try to carry the best actors they can for each role?

Edit: I remember really looking Asuka, but I was also 16 when I watched Eva for the first time, so it's not creepy!

Last edited:
I'm grateful to the original dub for the alternate ending monologue they included...

...but that's probably the biggest compliment I can give it. :V

I view the odds of the old dub cast coming back to be... pretty small, if they wanted to do that they'd do the old dub. Part of the point of a new dub is making it a new dub.

I view the odds of the old dub cast coming back to be... pretty small, if they wanted to do that they'd do the old dub. Part of the point of a new dub is making it a new dub.

My suspicion is they're going to go with the Rebuild cast, which includes several members of the original dub. But not poor Amanda Winn-Lee, who... well while I can sympathize, my mind is flashing to that old chestnut...

Back