Oh hi quest forum which I have in no way been hiding from in embarrassment after letting my own quest peter out and die.

Obviously, I've forfeited my right to vote in this topic here or ever again by contributing this much to it, but helping out with the update was still fun even if it did necessitate multiple sweeps to catch non-American spellings. Feel free to assume any scenes you don't like were written by me.

You helped me with an update that's really mostly people talking. I don't think that disqualifies you from voting after this update. I don't even think it disqualifies you from voting in this update. XD

I'm around 1k wpm.

My first reaction at seen this update:

Yeah an update!
See the number of words and look at the time:
Damn, an update.

[12:00 PM] Tempera: stares blankly at @Kei
[12:00 PM] Tempera: you know kei
[12:00 PM] Tempera: maybe it would be easier for you to update if your updates weren't 24k words long
[12:25 PM] Kei: /me hides.
[12:25 PM] Kei: I'm sorry.

So good news and bad news. The good news? I've finally finished my Master's. The bad news: My office is downsizing, and while I haven't been let go yet, I'm pretty sure I'm on my way out. I need to somehow figure out how to get a new job while my employment prospects really aren't all that great. So that's something else to freak out about.
Huh. I wasn't aware shadowy PMCs offered anything other than a 9mm retirement.

*runs*

First, it'd be of personal interest to me if everyone can provide me with their rough reading speeds in words-per-minute, just for the sake of writing logistics.
Depends on which reading speed you're asking about.

My "I'm not really that engaged so I'm kinda just skimming half this" speed?
My "I like this and so I'm reading everything but I don't have anything to say" speed?
My "I'm pausing to quote various things to quip or make corrections" speed?

Thanks for still caring enough about this quest to read it again.
No, thanks for still writing this quest!

Her smile turns a little mischievous. "I'm sure there will be many people who would like to come along now that you'll be there."
Neianne great attraction, must charge admittance fee.

You let out a slight squeak in response, causing more than one girl to laugh again, or to whisper something that sounds suspiciously like "adorable".
Totes adorable~

"...even if the way you did it does reinforce some very backwards notions about dryads," Azalea adds playfully. "The humans already assume we all frolic naked in the moonlight."
*spaces out*

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Regardless, you find yourself a little envious of her social grace, the ease at which she seems to lead without effort. It really is the furthest thing from yourself.
At least you recognize that it's only seeming ease? That's progress!

"Well," another girl says, "there's a war on! Maybe a dryad will go to Elspar, make herself out to be a big hero, and get rewarded with some land and a title. It's happened before!"
And by golly, if we have any say about it, it's going to be Neianne!

"No pressure," the first girl says, smiling at you.
SHE KNOWS

"Still," Alice - or was it Annie? - says, looking a little wistful. "It wouldn't be so bad marrying an elven lady, even if it would turn out that way." She sighs. "Lady Elizabeth is so beautiful, like a porcelain doll! And so talented! I...are you okay, Neianne?"
*sputters*

I mean ordinarily I am okay with this line of thought but Elizabeth is...aiming a little high.

"I'd rather someone tall and dark and mysterious," a shorter girl at the next table over says, voice dreamy. "Like Lady Sieglinde. I'd never be brave enough to actually talk to her, though." Her aseri ears droop noticeably as she says this.
*sighs dreamily*

"You're all awful, the girl declares, as the table devolves into another round of giggling.
Missing quote

She leans across the table, using a finger-cookie as a pointer. "You're always spending time with the cutest girls, and you manage to look all helpless and adorable."
Neianne living the Visual Novel life.

Oh god that means Elizabeth route must turn out completely adorable in the end.

"There's lavender in this tea, I think," Azalea says, suddenly, before the laughter can go too far.
Such a good girl. :3

Alexia, the bard, stopped playing at some point over your conversation with Azalea, and is now standing directly in front of you. You can't help but give a bit of a squeak of surprise, jumping back a little ways. "Lightning reflexes!" she laughs merrily. "The mark of a true warrior." It's hard to tell if she's serious or mocking you.
I don't think we took that feat? *laughs*

She nods. "Your little adventure with the wyvern would make a great opening chapter to a novel, or at least a funny-but-impressive anecdote to tell about you when you're famous and successful." She deepens her pitch slightly, dropping into something you recognize as a standard storyteller intonation: "'You all know about Neianne, who singlehandedly saved a bevy of beautiful maidens from a band of wicked paladins, but have you heard the tale of how she outwitted a woman-eating monster when she was just a girl of fourteen?'"

"F-Fifteen!" you insist, flustered and not sure what part to protest at first. Behind her, you have the sinking feeling that Tiffany may be trying not to laugh.

"Alas, I doubt most listeners will pay much attention to such a detail. If you ever do make it so far, I expect someone will change it into a dragon, with you sneaking up on it and killing it somehow. Or they'll age you up, to add a bit of, well," she winks again with a strong hint of mischief, "appeal to the situation."
Oh yes, she'll go far.

"There's the spirit!" she says, as if you did not sound hesitant at all. "Anyway, I'm glad I caught you like this. I like putting potential stars on notice. We'll probably speak again, I hope."
We'll only find out how important and connected she is 3 acts later. ;P

"I'm sure you've already been informed of these arrangements," the kind-faced instructor explains, pacing in front of the front-row tables that you and Wendy are seated behind. It's only the three of you, so the arrangement of the classroom's occupant is a bit more informal, with the instructor moving relatively close to you and Wendy to emphasize her attention. "But to reiterate, along with your usual academic classes, you'll also be taking supplementary private classes with myself and your other instructors to make up for the fact that both of you are healing." She gestures out the window towards where the sounds of physical and combat training are coming from. "That way, you'll be ahead in academics when you've recovered enough to take remedial physical training. This is part of your standard curriculum, and you will be tested, so start taking notes."
Oh, that's (un)surprisingly well planned.

Wendy clearly has no idea. You, on the other hand, are feeling grateful that Sieglinde had you read The Belltower of Brycott; it still takes you a moment to recall those exact details from the Tenereian novel, but you soon answer, "U-Um, until the...n-ninth century, so, um..." you do some quick mental math, "...f-four hundred years, ma'am."
Historical fiction is not a waste of time!

"Um...the A-Atrium Coalition was formed. They were a group of, um...s-special interests?" Even the descriptions of the Atrium Coalition in The Belltower of Brycott are ambiguous. Every Caldran knows them to be the true leaders of the Tenereian Union, a cabal of Tenereia's most powerful and influential...but not much beyond that. "And they promised reform within the empire, challenging the imperial family in the Tenereian Civil War."
Special interests. Pfeh. See? This is what happens when you let lobbyists grow too powerful!

You try to think harder about the details that you've read. "The empire had overexpanded. Trade and taxes had become imbalanced. The common people suffered the most as markets dried up, the economy stalled. People further out in the empire couldn't buy food, and people in the heartlands couldn't collect taxes to rebuild aqueducts, roads, city walls."
Kids, this is why you stay UNDER 100% overextension unless you're going for a World Conquest!

"Indeed," nods the instructor. "Caldrein was close to the frontlines of Teneria's cold war against Ornthalia, so it was home to a large military force far from the politicking of Brycott, and they were no friends to the emerging Atrium Coalition or the Tenereian Union that came from it. This antipathy was only magnified when the exodus of the old guard arrived in Caldrein, who came with as much personal and cultural wealth they could bring with them. It wasn't just wagons of riches. They came with priceless heirlooms, national treasures, cultural artifacts, things passed down through generations of Treiden history that would've been lost had they been left to the Rose Revolution in Tenereia. They brought with them the customs, traditions, and beliefs of the Treiden people at the height of our glory." With a clap of her hands in conclusion, she finished, "Then, in the tenth century, four hundred years ago, the imperial province of Caldrein seceded from the Tenereian Union, declaring itself the Confederacy of Caldrein, thereby independent."
Caldrein, last refuge of all that is good from old Teneria?

"I will be expecting a written or oral report of how this history has influenced Tenereian military tactics and social mores this time next week," the elf instructor declares, even as the lecture continues, "and I expect concise answers instead of broad statements. Now, moving onto the military reorganization of the Confederacy of Caldrein following its founding..."
Do you mean precise?

"Artist?" Sieglinde raises an eyebrow. "No, not really. I'm no good at art."

You are beginning to think that Sieglinde is truly being falsely modest. Looking at her sketch confirms it; already, many of the building's details have been etched in, and she's already moving into shading them. "B-But it looks...really good."

"I'm cheating," Sieglinde confesses. "I studied architecture for a time. This," she taps the parchment with a spare finger, "is as close as I get to it these days."

"Architecture?" you echo in surprise; you did not expect that answer.
Well duh, study architecture to know how best to knock down buildings.

Bloody rarely overcomes such a wide gap in years.
Blood

"I am not," Sieglinde answered bluntly. "I am someone whom others depend on." And when she sees your expression indicating that this was an incredibly unsatisfying answer that doesn't address any of your confusions, she actually smiles a little and finally sets her pencil down. "During the field exercise, all three apprentices on my team did not benefit from the experiences I had as a child. When they discovered I was on their team, and after I reassured them that I had no interest removing them from the exercise, their reaction was one of..." she pauses for a moment, thoughtfully searching for a word that fits but also won't disparage her temporary teammates, "...relief. A sense that I can protect them from challengers, as opposed to someone who can encourage them to face their challenges." She tilts her head back a little and exhales into the air, allowing a small cloud of mist to float up from her lips and disappear into winter's chill. "Leading by example is only useful if you can inspire others to follow your example. A good leader is not a cold, hard crutch; she's a warm cup of coffee." Her slight smile takes on a slightly wry edge. "And you may have discovered that I am not particularly warm or sociable, never mind inspirational."
That is...a little depressing. Well, and I'm not even sure I agree with that as a measure of a leader.

Still, Melanie smiles shyly. "I a-appreciate the thought. You'll have to c-catch up with all the t-training afterwards, though, yes?"

You slump, sighing, "Yes..." You are not looking forward to non-stop physical exercise after non-stop studying.

Shifting awkwardly, Melanie's voice is almost a squeak as she tries to encourage you: "P-Please hang in there. I'm c-cheering for you!"

Her effort is so sincere that it's almost embarrassing, and you blush as you stammer, "T-Thank you."
So adorable.

Melanie's shoulder's slump, and she gives the stump a look that is half sad, half frustrated. A moment later, you understand. It's not that you're particularly slow. On the contrary, the tardiness of your realization owes a great deal to the fact that you are informed. Of the elements in magecraft, wind is the most versatile, but it's also the least forceful and destructive relative to other elements. It can cause sounds where there are none, manipulate the path of an arrow, steal the heat from the air around an enemy force. It is, after all, an extremely versatile and subtle school of magic. It was not, however, the first choice anyone would make when it came to wholesale destruction of any kind. Fire and lightning and their ilk were far better suited to breaking things or forcefully killing people.
something something Karin of the Heavy Wind something something

She looks at you like you're an idiot. "Of course not. I come from a noble family. We always have a large one baked for my sisters to share, but I get have a smaller one just for me." She says it with an air of faint, almost affectionate nostalgia and just a tiny bit of smug satisfaction.

"O-Oh," you murmur in slight surprise. Then, hesitantly, you venture a guess, "B-Because you're the eldest child?"

Elizabeth blinks and pauses for a moment. Is she simply surprised because she's never actually shared the fact that she's an eldest child, and that you've guessed correctly? Or perhaps she isn't actually entirely sure of the answer herself? Finally, she shrugs and replies, "I suppose so. My sisters and I used to fight over the cake all the time anyways."
And naturally Elizabeth won and always got the biggest portion, so it was easier just to acknowledge that and get her out of the pool.

"I always won the middle," Elizabeth says with an air of pleasant self-satisfaction. "Maybe that's why they got a separate cake for my sisters. It must be sad, losing to me all the time."
...ha! I was right!

Sieglinde, perhaps rescuing Stephanie from this line of conversation, remarks, "This is possibly my first Mdwinter's Feast away from family." She seems to leave it at that before adding with a thoughtful air, "I suppose it shall be liberating, in a way."
Midwinter's

Tonight, however, it's as if the cooks have given you permission to indulge in your guilty dietary pleasures by providing you foods you're almost certain are fit for nobility. The dishes in front of Squad Four alone include honey roasted beef with nuts and pepper, veal marinated with citrus and rosemary, creamy buttered rice mixed with cheese and assorted vegetables, tomato-soaked baked bread with goat cheese and basil, and more.
You're killing me, Kei...

With a poised stature of a noblewoman enjoying her meal, Sieglinde swallows her bite before remarking, "The impression one has is that Lady Zabanya wishes to legally explode as many people as possible."

The elven mage turns her usual, serene, dissonant smile towards Sieglinde and replies, "I wouldn't protest against the notion, no. Although one supposes there's only so far you can go with that."
Yeah, but that far is pretty far.

Elizabeth seems mildly surprised at your sudden question, but she soon thinks about that for a short while before taking an air as if she only deigns to respond. "As far as I can go," she answers. "As far as I can discover breakthrough after breakthrough in magecraft. Centuries from now, even farmers and laborers shall know my name because I unraveled the mysteries of our world - magecraft, the fey - in manners no others could. Exploding people is fun, it's cathartic, but it isn't..." she searches for the right word before shrugging. "History is full of people who explode people. It's like swinging a cudgel. Anyone with a bit of power can do that."
You need to set your sights higher! Blow up a city! No, the moon!

"N-No one else would do something like that with m-me!" you say, a little exasperated. Maybe Vesna would, but you were just talking with her, and Mia is certainly much louder than Vesna.

Mia crosses her arms, and nods almost sagely. "Yes," she says, "that makes sense."
Mia has special Neianne touching privileges. *nodnod*

"Oh, don't be a stranger," Mia beams, already shepherding the three of you to empty chairs at the table, making you wonder when a degree of incredulity how the aseri could possibly be so blind to the mood in the air. "Besides, these two are totally harmless, they won't bite!" She laughs, pauses, then laughs again, "Well, I mean, as harmless as a Caldran mercenary can be. Which isn't very harmless, is it?"
Mrow, Caldran mercenary bites...

"Come, come," Mia continues, pushing the three of you into seats, "sit down, I'll go get drinks." And, just like that, having gotten the three of you together, with a swish of her tail, she's gone. If you didn't know better, you'd have assumed that she's in the shipping business.
Suddenly I realize why I am such a fan of Mia.

"Don't 'Zabanya' me," Elizabeth mutters. Then, her eyes flash with obvious mischief - the kind of flash when someone gets a dangerous idea - before she declares to everyone involved, "Watch this."
Beep beep incoming trainwreck.

[x] Go to town for Midwinter's Feast festivities.

No Neianne, you are going to be sociable and you are going to -like it-.

[x] Stay at the Academy for some peace and quiet.

More thoughts to come later, but I do think we need to both hang out with our actual roomate (and the chillest elf in school) but also help raise our stock by not always being socially available, thus making our presence more impactful when we do go out to be social. It's clear that everyone likes us, but we already did quite a lot of socializing today.

What I find most interesting is how it seems like that Neianne is one of the few people that everyone else can get along with at this point. Maybe the cafe girls have a point about Neianne's social skills.
Its more that she's entirely inoffensive and it feels rather like kicking a puppy to be mean at her or even at each other while she's there.

But I think going out to the town is less social opportunity(we're getting that regardless), and more of actually going out and seeing stuff. We've hardly been there before and we're not going to have many chances to.

Aside from I think, spending time with Melanie being actively quite restful...

[x] Stay at the Academy for some peace and quiet.

24k is a little long. I mean, my own personal advice (that I usually follow myself) is that for fanfiction, any chapter longer than 10k sorta doesn't hold together.

It was pretty good, but could it have been split up? Maybe?

I mean, imagine if you'd split it in two with the Festival as the fulcrum? It'd still be long, but not that long, and you could have doubled your likes. :p

Its more that she's entirely inoffensive and it feels rather like kicking a puppy to be mean at her or even at each other while she's there.

But I think going out to the town is less social opportunity(we're getting that regardless), and more of actually going out and seeing stuff. We've hardly been there before and we're not going to have many chances to.

Aside from I think, spending time with Melanie being actively quite restful...
It helps that she risked her life to save one of the people were were actually being mean to her and they seem to feel a bit like jerks because of it.

Depends on which reading speed you're asking about.

My "I'm not really that engaged so I'm kinda just skimming half this" speed?
My "I like this and so I'm reading everything but I don't have anything to say" speed?
My "I'm pausing to quote various things to quip or make corrections" speed?

I'm fine with just about any statistic you can provide. I mean, I'm hoping that it's choice #2 or #3 for this quest, but I guess maybe #3 will be most useful for me...? x_x

Neianne living the Visual Novel life.

Oh god that means Elizabeth route must turn out completely adorable in the end.

I will neither confirm nor deny that this is what the conclusion of any hypothetical "Elizabeth Route" looks like. ^_^

Do you mean precise?

No, I meant "concise", but your other corrections are spot-on, so thank you very much. ^_^

proofreading kei what is it

That is...a little depressing. Well, and I'm not even sure I agree with that as a measure of a leader.

Sieglinde is not necessarily right or wrong, no. You get to judge.

You're killing me, Kei...

[/grrm]

24k is a little long. I mean, my own personal advice (that I usually follow myself) is that for fanfiction, any chapter longer than 10k sorta doesn't hold together.

It was pretty good, but could it have been split up? Maybe?

I mean, imagine if you'd split it in two with the Festival as the fulcrum? It'd still be long, but not that long, and you could have doubled your likes. :p

In the name of a smoother release cycle, each individual person could have been a non-voting update until the last one.

I'll consider it if I end up with another 20k+ update. I mean, I don't really want to split updates into separate parts because I'm really OCD, but it's certainly an idea. And I don't deny liking likes...

*shot*

I'm fine with just about any statistic you can provide. I mean, I'm hoping that it's choice #2 or #3 for this quest, but I guess maybe #3 will be most useful for me...? x_x
*eyeballs timestamps*

#3 seems like somewhere in the 12-18k words/hour ballpark but I know I was getting distracted a lot.

No, I meant "concise", but your other corrections are spot-on, so thank you very much. ^_^
What meaning were you going for?

concise would be short form/brief. I don't see how that makes sense in context with the contrast being broad statements. Isn't the instructor basically asking for specific examples of "how this history has influenced Tenereian military tactics and social mores" and not some broad generality?

I'll consider it if I end up with another 20k+ update. I mean, I don't really want to split updates into separate parts because I'm really OCD, but it's certainly an idea. And I don't deny liking lies...
...I'm a big fan of large 10k+ words updates.

Also you don't deny liking lies? Do you mean likes?

Also you don't deny liking lies? Do you mean likes?

i am idiot fixed sorry

So a bit of business: I am considering starting up an account on Patreon or some other crowdfunding medium.

Let me first clarify a little bit: I am not trying to commercialize my work on the forums. I am not trying to hold this quest - or any of my other writing here on Sufficient Velocity - hostage to funding. This is not set in stone and I have not yet made any concrete decisions.

What this is, moreorless, is a mixture of two things: A desire to build up a bit of a portfolio of some kind with regards to amateur writing, and also - I'm going to be embarrassingly honest here - a way to help pay the bills doing things I enjoy. This is a hobbyist interest (although I do want to publish professionally at some point), and it's going to stay that way, whether or not I go through with something like Patreon.

Below is a questionnaire I would really appreciate that everyone fill out, if only for my own consideration, and perhaps something that can be used in the future even if this doesn't happen. It doesn't matter if you're active voters, here only to make comments, or quiet lurkers; I really need all the data I can get, so please, if you have any interest in my work in any capacity, please answer this questionnaire. You are entirely welcome to PM it to me instead of posting it here, as I understand some may consider the answers to these questions to be kept private. Thank you.

1. Would you support a Patreon project or similar crowdfunding drive for quest or user fiction content from Kei? If yes, how much? If no, why not, and what would change that?
Note: "I don't have the funding" is a completely valid reason; it certainly applies for me. "Because you suck" or "because I don't want to crowdfund amateur writing" are also entirely valid reasons, so don't hesitate about being honest. But even if you answer "no", here, please fill out the rest of the questionnaire, if only for my own reference. Thank you.

2. If Kei is successfully crowdfunded in any capacity, how much content do you reasonably expect regularly?
Note: Feel free to use "number of words", "number of updates", or anything else as a measuring unit, and "weeks" or "months" or "years" as a time unit.

3. What do you consider to be a reasonable reward scheme and/or special privileges for individual crowdfunders in particular and/or the crowdfunding effort in general?

4. What crowdfunding-related factors would make you not wish to sponsor Kei or even refuse to participate in further works from Kei?

5. What specific types of content would you like to see from Kei? Quests or user fiction? Any particular genre?

6. What other comments, suggestions, or questions do you have?

Regardless of whether or not anything comes out of this, or whether or not you'd support a crowdfunding effort, or whether or not you'd even like a crowdfunding effort, I would very much appreciate all the feedback I can get. Thank you very much.

(And an update is being worked on at the moment. At least, the sections of the update that won't be affected by this vote. I'm giving this vote a bit more time before I move on ahead.)

Ah man, we've seen quite a bit of interpersonal tension going on here.

It looks like Elizabeth (!?) managed to defuse it somewhat for one group, but then we have some well other tensions, and a complete failure to communicate between two of our friends here.

What I find most interesting is how it seems like that Neianne is one of the few people that everyone else can get along with at this point. Maybe the cafe girls have a point about Neianne's social skills.
So, thinking on this more -- this is just my interpretation, Kei may see things somewhat differently:

Neianne personality and socio-economic status kind of prime her to be seen as likeable but harmless. She's cute and shy, so people kind of like having her around and don't want to see her hurt, and she's a commoner but too humble and unconfident to come across like she's ever getting above herself or to grate on peoples' nerves (unless someone found vague helplessness and stuttering annoying). This is not unambiguously good, though -- people are more likely to like her, but also possibly not to take her seriously all the time (for instance, her squadmates treating her as 'the baby' of squad four in this update). She's not the kind of person people look to in a crisis, and she's not great at inspiring confidence in people. If we'd picked, say, "cocky", certain characters would probably dislike her more, particularly if she couldn't back it up. But if she could back it up, things might go better for her in some circumstances. Also the cutesy-stuttering self deprecating thing would likely go over a lot less well if she were someone from a noble family who is expected to take on a leadership role for girls below her social station (also from this update, note how Elizabeth seems to feel about Lucille, or the impression Neianne has of her compared to other noblewomen she knows even though Neianne more or less likes her).

Just my two cents.

1. Would you support a Patreon project or similar crowdfunding drive for quest or user fiction content from Kei? If yes, how much? If no, why not, and what would change that?
Yes. Probably could only chip in a bit (CAD) at this point, unless I get a promotion at work soon.

2. If Kei is successfully crowdfunded in any capacity, how much content do you reasonably expect regularly?
We talked about this a bit earlier, but essentially if I am contributing to a monthly Patreon then I would expect content at least once a month. If I were paying per-writing piece, there's less of an expectation there in terms of scheduling.

3. What do you consider to be a reasonable reward scheme and/or special privileges for individual crowdfunders in particular and/or the crowdfunding effort in general
You can honestly probably get away with just "support me because you want me to write more." Another option is to show people your work on Patreon before other people get to see it. Some people also make special patron-only work, or allow them to vote or contribute to what you work on next, but those things would not be super good for quest writing in particular.

4. What crowdfunding-related factors would make you not wish to sponsor Kei or even refuse to participate in further works from Kei?
I can't really think of anything specific to crowdfunding that would be likely to happen.

5. What specific types of content would you like to see from Kei? Quests or user fiction? Any particular genre?
I like reading your fantasy stuff a lot and I've enjoyed this quest quite a bit, so I've got no major preference here on a personal level in terms of genre or format.

I don't know general hugs and stuff

Last edited:
Seems fairly reasonable analysis, and I think some of that was directly brought up by Kei to think about for our 'plan of action' against the Wyvern.

Basically people want to save/protect us, so use it as a tool to get them to help us in situations. We can't 'take charge' but we can 'force action' so to speak. At least... right now anyway.

Note: "I don't have the funding" is a completely valid reason; it certainly applies for me. "Because you suck" or "because I don't want to crowdfund amateur writing" are also entirely valid reasons, so don't hesitate about being honest. But even if you answer "no", here, please fill out the rest of the questionnaire, if only for my own reference. Thank you.
Probably not due to lack of funding atm.
Note: Feel free to use "number of words", "number of updates", or anything else as a measuring unit, and "weeks" or "months" or "years" as a time unit.
More. :V
Oh sorry, more seriously it depends on the cash flow. If you're getting enough to live as well as you want, I'd expect job hours worth of work. So say twice a week 10k~ words of work. Although this again depends on quality/what you're writing for (your own book/original work vs fanfiction, ectera) values change. So... uh 'I'll know it when I see it'? :V
3. What do you consider to be a reasonable reward scheme and/or special privileges for individual crowdfunders in particular and/or the crowdfunding effort in general?
Honestly for writing I can't think of much besides paying for specific writing requests (aka commissions). Maybe being name-dropped (or choosing a name that works) as an unimportant character / one scene character or something.

I don't like things like paying for beta / early reading access (at least from my POV) just creates a gap between the readerbase and people who pay, and then the people who are already working as non-paying betas. Seems like a mess to me.
Paying to change the story / influence quests and stuff like that. I'm fine with people commissioning like, omakes or extra scenes, but not paying for power or retcons and the like.

I've liked On The Elsparian road the best, but I also liked your FFT quest (although it ended up slowing down so much progress wise that I lost interest).
Right now all I can think of is 'More of THIS quest' for content. It's real fun to read the cast interacting with each other. A good mix of light-hearted and serious stuff but not too grim.
Nothing comes to mind right now.

Seems like we learned some interesting things about the the lack of male characters in this quest.

As much because I'm interested in seeing them on-screen as anything. :)

Probably. You know that I've been reading your stuff for yeeeeeeeears. ;X

5k words/week for basic updates+any upper tiers above that you care to set

Paywalled lewds. Like...Neianne handholding!

*flees into the night*

RL anecdotes of your shady mercenary activities which previously kept you from updating

:o Update!!!
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ (Hugs) @Kei
Thank you for coming back to this!!

~1k wpm

Thank you everyone for your feedback here; I will be taking this into consideration for any future decisions. For anyone else who is reading this quest but hasn't replied yet, please feel free to also provide your input for the above questionnaire. Thank you~

Also, because I missed this one:

What meaning were you going for?

concise would be short form/brief. I don't see how that makes sense in context with the contrast being broad statements. Isn't the instructor basically asking for specific examples of "how this history has influenced Tenereian military tactics and social mores" and not some broad generality?

No, what I mean is "I expect your answers to be on-point and no longer than it needs to be, because I will not be impressed by apprentices trying to throw everything at me, including the kitchen sink, in hopes that they'll accidentally land on the correct answer".

Voting for this next update will last until I reach the parts of the update where the vote is relevant. I'm currently working on the parts of the update not dependent on the previous vote.

Lack of funding, would change if its something Kickstarter big.
Patreon I feel is more bits and pieces as interesting some of them may be but the digital nature feel lacking somehow.

Something to show that you put a lot of effort?
One image might not be enough depending on details....might be worth it depending on artistic potential.

Paying to change the story I think.

Would interested in seeing more yuri images or scenery porn from On The Elsparian road.
On The Elsparian road crossovers omake or image with other quests or series would be interesting.

In the future I would be very interested in seeing if you can turn On The Elsparian road quest into an Artbook, Manga or 4 koma or a mixture of the three using Kickstarter which I am willing to back with large amount of money.

Due to the amount of effort you put into the writing and the original content it would be worth it as long you can find the anime images to marry it.
Do add some Patreon images to this quest.

1.12.1 Festivities (Part 1)
So since this has been advised by a number of people both in this thread and elsewhere, I'm going to give this a try: From here on out, wherever I think it appropriate (usually when the update gets too long or I take too long to update), each "chapter" (I guess I'm calling them that now) will be divided into smaller "updates". This allows me to post stuff more frequently, even if I'm not done writing a "chapter" with a word count in the five-digit range; it allows for readers to digest each update more readily (instead of having to read ten or twenty thousand words in a single sitting), and it'll hopefully put a dampener on my increasing sense of self-loathing.

Organizationally, this means this "update" will be 1.12.1, followed obviously by 1.12.2, and so on, until we hit 1.13. Naturally, however, unless there is a need for it (some chapters have multiple voting options in different segments, after all), these will be non-voting updates until the very end of the 1.12 series (which I suspect will be 1.12.4, given me current rate of progress, but I'm not certain). I've actually finished about sixty or seventy percent (I think) of 1.12.1 in terms of word count (roughly twelve thousand words at this point), with 1.12.1 being a bit more than six thousand words long, but most of them are incomplete fragments not fully connected with other fragments. So 1.12.1 will have to do for now.

For the record, this will put me in danger of murdering myself through OCD, but.

Once again, this "chapter" (not necessarily this specific update) features the super-lewd @Gazetteer as a co-writer, because I suck too much to consistently write on my lonesome. Please shower her with love, and thank you for still bothering with this quest.

You've been making friends and spending time with them, certainly far moreso than you've ever done before. One may well come to the conclusion that you've hit your "quota" - that you've done enough to move out of your comfort zone, that you're entitled to a bit of peace and quiet - but you ultimately decide to challenge yourself, going out to town to attend festivities. Faulkren - though hardly "small" - is not a particularly large town, but it's certainly much larger than the village you grew up in. This will be the largest Midwinter's Feast you've attended...and if you're going to look for an excuse to spend time around crowds, it may as well be for this.

That being said, you are just a bit late by the time you return to your room and change into clothes better suited for the winter outdoors. Most of the apprentices, eager to go into town, have already left the Academy; you spot several already in outdoor clothes on your way back to your dormitory. By the time you change into your usual clothing - a thick combination of a jacket over a dress and a cloak over that - the Academy is vacated by just about everyone who wants to head into the village.

This leads you - more out of happenstance and obligation rather than anything you actively desired - to finding yourself with a rather unusual companion in this dark, chilly night.

"♫ The Winter Lady passeth by
Her presence heralds snow
Yet when the Solstice comes on high
She takes our yearly woe ♫
"

Given how pretty Elizabeth's voice sounds even when she's merely talking - even when she's being threatening - it really doesn't surprise you that her singing voice is angelic, practically pitch-perfect. What is of surprise, however, is how freely she chooses to sing with you as "company", the two of you perhaps the last two apprentices to walk the road towards the town of Faulkren.

It was startling, almost awkward, when Elizabeth first started to sing with a complete lack of embarrassment. She doesn't seem like she's showing off, although you're hardly the best judge of that; if anything, she seems like she's simply enjoying the simple act of singing, and has ignored your presence in the process of doing so. But now you listen attentively, careful to give Elizabeth room, as if your proximity would ruin the moment. Or perhaps you're still just a little afraid of the tiny elven girl.

"♫ And in her wake as gray clouds break
The Hunt rides, her steed bloom
For Sun nor Harvest shall forsake
Our days of light resume ♫
"

The last note drifts into the cold night air, and moments after the song comes to an end, you can't help but say, surprising even yourself, "Th-That was beautiful, milady."

"How kind of you to say," Elizabeth smirks as you fight down a blush, even though she sounds less grateful than she does amused. "Although not particularly special. Most young nobles are trained in songcraft in one manner or another. Ravenhill, for example, couldn't sing to save her life, but she plays the harp quite well."

You are surprised at this, and also mildly pleased that you've learned something new about the otherwise enigmatic Sieglinde. "I-I didn't know," you admit, although something in your tone betrays the fact that you're surprised that Elizabeth, of all people, knew this.

Your tone doesn't escape her notice, however, and she rolls her eyes a little. "The two of us are from Lindholm. My family had me sit in on her recital once. It was a very boring affair. I'm not even sure she enjoyed it."

"O-Oh," you stammer, uncertain what to add to that.

And perhaps that would've been an end to this conversation - certainly there are several moments of silence that follow - until Elizabeth suddenly notes, "I didn't think you'd come."

"O-Oh. I..."

"Thought it would be a good idea to break out of your meek and quiet routine?"

Although it isn't as surprising as the first time you heard it, it's still startling - and perhaps concerning - that Elizabeth knows this much about you. You told a very limited number of people, and you can't imagine them telling anyone, certainly not Elizabeth, of all people.

Giving you a droll look, Elizabeth ordered, "Stop looking like you're a puppy I kicked."

"I-I'm sor..."

"Don't be sorry, speak your mind. If it's stupid, I'll just punish you later." She paused, then added, "After cake."

Elizabeth's response encourages very little confidence in you, but it seems a little late to back out now without possibly offending her. "I-I was wondering how you knew, m-milady," you eventually relent.

"Knew what? That you're trying to not be a shrinking violet eight days a week?"

Putting aside that a week only has seven days - you're probably missing a joke there anyways - you nod hesitantly, feeling somewhat uncomfortable about the fact that Elizabeth, of all people, figured this out.

Smiling sweetly, Elizabeth looks around furtively for a moment before leaning towards your ear - not difficult, she isn't much shorter than you - and whispering, "I'm going to let you in on a secret, and you will die if you tell anyone." Ignoring your sudden flinching at the threat and a dread building up at the pit of your stomach, the elf continues, "There exists a forbidden magecraft technique among the elven aristocracy that allows us to read minds, which is why elven nobility reign in virtually every part of the world."

Your eyes widen as you stare at Elizabeth. "...R-Really?" you gape.

But the blonde swiftly rolls her eyes and returns her attention back to the road. "Don't be daft," she mutters, suddenly making you feel quite silly. "Aside from the imperfect and misleading methods of communicating with the fae, of course no such technique exists." She pauses, thinks, then adds, "...Yet." You aren't left with much time to think about this vaguely sinister-sounding proclamation, because Elizabeth continues, "No, I guessed. It wasn't very difficult. People are not particularly complicated."

"Th-They're not?" you ask, trying not to feel too conflicted about being characterized as "not particularly complicated". You didn't think you were, but hearing someone basically say you're simple makes you feel a little inadequate.

"Circumstances are complicated. There's always a wide variety of illegitimate children born through a wide variety of people a wide variety of mothers could've had a wide variety of affairs with. And different versions thereof." Elizabeth shrugs. "People are not so complicated. There are only so many ways a person can process drama, so many ways they can feel about life." Turning her gaze from the road to you, she continues, "You don't talk in any matter remotely resembling Ravenhill or Treiser, who care so much about the Confederacy, if not the world. Nor are you like, say, Celestia," her tone takes a more contemptuous flavor, "who cares so much about the people around her. No, yours is more selfish: The fixation with self. You're not here to make a better living for your family, not with how lukewarm your response was to whether or not you were hoping to better your family's finances. You certainly didn't seem disappointed with their lot in life. So your goal is more personal, more selfish. It wasn't hard to guess from there."

You try hard not to flinch, unconvinced that you were successful in that endeavor. It's not that you've ever considered your own motivations to be particularly noble or grand, and you've entertained such insecurity and uncertainty when speaking of the matter with Sieglinde, but to hear it come so openly and bluntly from Elizabeth... "D-Do...you think I'm s-selfish, milady?" you ask hesitantly, reluctantly in a half-whisper.

But instead of condemnation or reproach, Elizabeth merely raises an eyebrow and asks, "And what's so wrong with that?" And when you return a look that you're sure - to your chagrin - must've been surprised and wary, the tiny elf laughs, "Ah, you wish to aspire to a higher principle, do you? Do as you wish. Hardly be it my place to judge. It's not as if my own desires are any less selfish, an accomplishment grand enough to call my own, my name to be remembered after a thousand years. There's no need for anything grander than that, nor is there any need to be restrained by self-actualization alone."

The admission shocks you. It's true that you've never considered Elizabeth to necessarily be a role model to strive after, but your impression had always been that, if nothing else, the aristocracy of Caldrein aligned their goals, their wishes with the well-being of the Confederacy. Or, perhaps more importantly, although you have always heard rumors of highborn ladies who lived and ruled with excess and amorality, you've always believed that they were the exception, that most were at least trying to adhere to certain principles.

That Elizabeth so easily encourages you to disperse of the notion of higher service bothers you, and it shows on your face again, because the elf, amused as ever, remarks, "You hardly seem at ease. Speak your mind. I'll judge whether or not what you have to say is foolish."

You're not exactly comfortable "speaking your mind" - never mind "be at ease" - but you work up the courage to inquire, "D-Don't you ever wish to aspire to be...more?"

"Perhaps when I'm older, I shall feel differently. Now, though? I feel no particular desire to be Treiser or, worse, Ravenhill. Or, even worse, Celestia."

"D-Do you dislike Sieglinde so?" you ask, the slightest of frowns on your brow, before hurriedly adding, "Lady Elizabeth?" You don't dislike Aphelia or Lucille either, but Sieglinde - being on your squad and being Elizabeth's roommate - seems to be a more pressing concern.

But Elizabeth only laughs. "Hardly. I have immense respect for her, likely far more than she does for me. I certainly respect her more than Treiser, who merely wants to support the status quo, or Celestia, who doesn't know what she's doing or what she even wants. Ravenhill's principles, whatever else I may think about them, are ambitious and daunting, and she has her plans to see them through." She gives you a complicated look. "Whether or not I agree with them is immaterial; genius deserves respect. We understand each other."

You're not sure you understand that last part. "U-Understand genius?" you repeat, seeking confirmation.

Regarding you quietly, thoughtfully for a moment, Elizabeth eventually asks, "Why do you think Ravenhill is here?"

You realize that Elizabeth is perhaps asking a rhetorical question, but just a split-second too late to stop yourself from hesitantly offering, "To...b-become a Caldran m-mercenary?"

Elizabeth's gaze looks less droll and more impatient. "You're more daft than I thought if you think that is her ends," she remarks, her voice flat and devoid of her usual cheer, and you fail to stop yourself from flinching. But then she sighs, turns her attention back to the road, and explains, "For all of Ravenhill's hilariously high-minded ideals to save people whom she doesn't even like, she understands. She understands that she needs to come here to attain power, whether that's martial prowess, political capital, or simply sheer ruthlessness. She understands that without power, ideals and principles that you can't enforce are just cheap talk. They're words you bandy about without the means to actualize them, and thus have no value."

You recall your conversation with Sieglinde, about why she's here at Faulkren Academy, and you see how the lines connect between her explanation and Elizabeth's elaboration...yet it just doesn't feel right. Maybe Elizabeth is right and Sieglinde is here for power...but the latter's words - the thoughts that she has shared with you - does not strike you as belonging to someone who only seeks strength.

Again, Elizabeth reads your expression accurately. "You disagree," she smirks. And when you provide no answer, she sighs and mutters, "If I have to tell you to speak your mind one more time..."

Managing not to flinch this time, you ask, "I-Isn't there a saying about h-how if you didn't have p-principles when they were i-inconvenient, th-then they weren't very strong principles at a-all?"

"When 'inconvenient', not when 'without power'. A saying attributed to Martha of Nanster, who wrote of a republican reformation of the Tenereian Empire, was executed alongside her family after she refused to recant, and was ideologically succeeded by a revolutionary government barely any more republican than its predecessor. Some 'strong' principles they were." The wryness in the elf's tone sounds like it has reached critical mass. "Do you think our Caldran principles will matter if we fail to repel the invasion? Do you think they will be allowed to persist? When the Tenereians invade Apaloft and hold your families hostage to bring you and all the other Caldran mercenary to heel, will you look them in the eyes on the gallows and tell them that they are the inconvenience you must endure to hold onto your principles? If your sister starves, will you tell her that stealing for food is against your code?"

This conversation suddenly makes you intensely uncomfortable - intensely unhappy - in a manner that usual conversation with Elizabeth doesn't. Bringing up your loved ones feels like it has crossed a line, and it takes effort for you to will your tongue to be still.

"I don't particularly care about what principles you hold," Elizabeth concludes. "What matters is whether or not you will be able to defend them when the time comes. How you gain that power - whether you were born into a noble household like me or claw your way to a position of strength - is your journey and yours alone. Until then, you're just a lapdog that barks a lot." She looks at you with lazy, half-open, but inquisitive eyes. "Are you here just to be someone's lapdog?"

Something about how Elizabeth goads you - coupled with an unsettling upset from just earlier - stirs a hint of rebellion against your better judgment, and you staunchly reply, "No." The word is out of your mouth before you even realize it, and a tiny voice at the back of your head tells you that this is a huge mistake.

But Elizabeth only laughs. "See?" she smirks, looking very self-satisfied. "You do have a spine after all." And before you can say anything to that, she turns back in the direction of Faulkren - now so very close - and declares, "Come on. Midwinter's Feast isn't going to celebrate itself."

The sounds of the celebration reach you even before you pass the first buildings that mark the very edge of town. Cheerful music plays over the background rumble of a crowd, while laughter and general merrymaking become more distinct the closer you get. The celebration is nominally in the market square; braziers have been set up against the cold, along with a space cleared for dancing. Ringing around these are various vendors and performers, both local and from farther afield. The town is just large enough to attract a number of the latter, which is an exciting change of pace from the smaller spectacles of your own village's celebrations. Between the fires and the decorative lanterns hung all around, there is plenty of light. In practice, however, the merrymaking extends its way to the various shops and businesses surrounding the square as well; the local businesses who can possibly offer anything to the festival-goers have stayed open late, most offering small trinkets or treats free of charge to any who pass by. You pass the inn on your way, and even at a glance you can tell that it's utterly packed.

The deeper into town you get, the thicker the crowd grows. In addition to the ordinary townsfolk and academy apprentices, there are strangers who aren't in town just for selling souvenirs. Judging from the rough, homespun clothes many of them are wearing, it's easy to guess that the bulk of them are farmers from the outlying areas, here with their families on a rare trip to town for something other than delivering a cart full of cabbage.

Even as the the streets grow uncomfortably dense for two short girls, Elizabeth seems to be moving relatively unhindered via some unknown technique known only to domineering highborns like her. Whether it's polite deference by the festival goers, sheer force of personality, or slightly sinister reputation, the small elf manages to part the crowd ahead of her by just enough that you're able to scurry along in her wake. The music is loud but joyful, and you find yourself syncing your steps to the beat.

Up ahead is the bakery, a cozy, well-kept family shop of the sort that can only exist in settlements past a certain size and level of prosperity. It's a far cry from the crude little outdoor oven behind the tavern in your hometown, where a matronly older woman sold rustic, rough loaves of bread. There is a particularly dense throng outside the shop, but through it you can catch glimpses of tables set up outside the shop, laden down with small rolls, tarts, and pastries that the passerbys seem to be taking free of charge. As you watch through a gap in the crowd, the baker's girl - all of twelve, but already your height - comes bustling out of the shop, laying down a fresh tray of golden brown buns from her mother's oven. She moves with a brisk efficiency and effortless confidence you find yourself envying, perhaps a bit absurdly.

At the edge of this crowd, Elizabeth pauses, glancing around to look at you. "You don't have any money, do you?" she asks.

You flinch a little bit. Obviously, you're aware that you're poorer than most of the girls you've become friends with, but no one has ever asked about your finanical situation so bluntly. You do have some money; your freeholder family may be modest, but you've never starved. Still, the small handful of pocket change that your parents pressed on you when you left seemed like more money than you'd ever held in your life, at the time. Then you saw the prices in the stores here.

"I have s-some!" you protest, flushing, raising your voice to be heard above the general din. Then, after a moment or two of fidgeting, you admit, "B-But things are free on Midwinter's Feast."

Elizabeth rolls her eyes. "Cheap things, yes," she says. She's raising her voice too, but somehow it sounds both dignified and refined when she does it, more like she's simply projecting instead of merely shouting. "The merchants are expected to be generous, not ruin themselves. The best things still cost money." She looks over to track a family of farmers, the youngest girl staring around at the town in obvious wonder. "My parents always give the peasants a coin or two at Midwinter," she says, musingly. "To show that they can look after the people who serve them."

"Those are probably f-freeholders," you say, a slightly defensive note in your voice. Peasants are much more likely to go to the their lady's seat of power for any such celebration like the kind Elizabeth is alluding to. And their clothes wouldn't be as nice as what those people are wearing.

But Elizabeth seems to ignore your reply as she instead commands, "Hold out your hand."

Confusedly, you comply, and she drops several coins into your palm, barely looking as she does so. "I'm n-not a peasant either!" you exclaim, the first thing coming to your mind.

"Oh?" Elizabeth asks, arching a golden eyebrow at you. "Are you questioning my ladylike generosity? Is Neianne so high in the world that she can afford to spit on the benevolent hand of a noble?"

"N-Neianne doesn't..." you stop short, forcing yourself to continue without referring to yourself in third-person. "I don't s-spit on...on..." you trail off helplessly, close your hand over the money, and fidget a little. "Th-Thank you," you say, almost too quietly to be heard over the sound of the crowd.

Elizabeth laughs a little in a manner resembling tinkling bells. "There's a good girl," she says. "Pride isn't going to buy you a souvenir. Save it for when you have two coins of your own to rub together." The way she says this, strangely, does not seem to be deliberately unkind. As if she believes it's genuinely thoughtful advice. Condescending as it may be, she actually seems to mean it as a nice gesture.

Or she's teasing you. Or both.

As the two of you manage to squeeze your way to the bakery proper, the baker's girl notices the two of you - or at least Elizabeth - and her face lights up. "It just came out of the oven ten minutes ago, Lady Elizabeth!" she exclaims loudly, even as she shoves a butter tart into the eager hands of an aseri farmer.

"Your mother has fortunate timing," Elizabeth says with an angelic albeit sleepy smile, managing to make herself heard without the appearance of any particular effort. You can't help but think of her conspicuous lack of any promise not to do anything terrible to the baker.

"I think it's the finest looking solstice cake she's ever made," the baker's girl adds, practically gushing. "Almost too good looking to eat!" Without even looking your way, quick as lightning, she has somehow deposited a warm, gooey pastry in one of your hands, and a cup of something that smells strongly of grape into the other.

"Th-Thank you?" you stammer.

"Happy Midwinter!" the girl says, brightly.

"I hope y-y-you enjoy your cake," you tell Elizabeth.

"I'll do my best," she says airily, disappearing into the bakery.

You have a feeling that - large meal a few hours ago or no - if you were to follow her inside, the money she's just given to you would disappear in rather quick order. You instead take an experimental sip of your grape juice and wander your way further into the square. It burns your tongue and throat a little, and you feel a bit flushed with a warm glow spreading across your cheeks, but the experience isn't entirely unpleasant.

The music gets louder the closer to the square you get, and you're slightly relieved to see that the dancers are sticking to a familiar routine: A circle dance, with different pairs breaking off to dance in the middle until the music switches up again. The music is fast enough that many of the dancers have shed their thicker winter clothing, the swaying, spinning movements of the dance and the nearby fires - a bonfire in the middle and torches around - keeping them warm enough.

You remember doing something like this more than once in your own village. It was both fun and occasionally embarrassing to have your friends from home suddenly push you in the direction of a less self-conscious girl and finding yourself carried along into the middle. The thought of it brings up a complicated mix of nostalgic homesickness and slight residual mortification over the time two years ago, when you tripped and sent your partner crashing to the ground to general laughter.

Perhaps with this thought in mind, you find yourself hanging back a bit. You have money after all, you tell yourself, and instructions to spend it. Maybe you can find something nice to send back home to your sister; she'd like that.

With this in mind, you find yourself drifting over to what you at first take for a group of wagons selling souvenir toys and knick-knacks. As you approach, you hear an odd series of clinking sounds, like glass or ceramic knocking together. The booth that catches your attention appears to be set up around a small, horse-drawn wagon, and it is laden down with toys, ornaments, and small articles of clothing. But that's not what people are paying the most attention to.

To one side of the booth, the counter is completely clear, leaving a straight line of sight between customers and an odd sort of display roughly ten meters further to the left: A pyramid of ceramic bottles, stacked seemingly precariously on a table.

"Knock them all down, and you win whatever you like," a thin-faced elf is saying through an obsequious smile. "It's Midwinter's Feast, so you get two throws completely free!" The object of the context appears to simply be to throw a fist-sized leather ball into the ceramic bottles, but visibly, the people ahead of you are struggling; the distance alone challenges the accuracy of any untrained throw. Whenever someone loses, the elf manning the booth passes them a small Primordian charm bracelet meant to confer good luck; most are carved from wood, but a few are made of polished bone. You wonder from what animal carcass they were taken from.

There's a slight line up in front of you, and it takes you a moment or two to pick out familiar faces under their warm clothing.

"This shouldn't be so hard!" Penelope exclaims, half-laughing but also a bit angry, as she throws her second ball. You're somewhat sure that Penelope is always a bit angry. The ball actually manages to hit the bottles on the bottom of the pile, and the table shivers, the bottles wobble, but nothing falls over.

"Ornthalian bottle toss is a difficult art," the elf says gravely. "But it can be done! That was a fine attempt." She reaches into her basket, and gives Penelope a charm bracelet. You're not entirely certain, but you think you catch sight of a frowny face dangling from it.

Scowling, Penelope steps to the side, glancing with some envy at the goods that the vendor is carrying. In particular, at a pair of fine, fur-lined gloves that are certainly more than anyone would give away for free, even at Midwinter's Feast.

"They can't actually win," a familiar voice tells you, and you look up to see Aphelia standing behind you, temporarily detached from her usual rotating entourage of friends and admirers; you can barely seem them further down the street when the crowd parts just enough, looking excitedly through storefront windows. Her hood is up, and she's standing close enough to a crowd of onlookers to suggest that perhaps she's trying to be a bit discreet. "She'd lose her shirt if it were actually fair."

You blink, a little shocked. "So she's ch-cheating people on Midwinter Feast?" you gasp, trying to keep your voice low.

Aphelia regards your surprise coolly for a moment. "Yes and no," she allows. "She isn't charging people for it, and she is still giving away a prize. But her aim is to tempt people into spending coin for more than just the two free throws, not to make this game competitive. See the bottles at the bottom? It's hard to tell from this distance, but their base is a little wider than those at the top. The upper bottles being 'fair' makes little difference if you can't knock them all down by hitting the bottom. The ceramic is probably heavier than they look, the leather ball lighter. I suspect the bottles are opaque for a reason as well. Penelope never stood a chance."

You watch as one of Penelope's teammates - you can't see Wendy here at present - tries her luck, with similar results, albeit with less anger.

"Is that right, Treiser?" Penelope suddenly asks, apparently having drifted far enough over to catch wind of part of the conversation. Probably the last part of the conversation, without the accompanying context that came before, much to your sinking dismay. There's heat in her voice, but not too much; you wonder if she's learned her lesson from trying to bully Elizabeth...or if she just knows that Aphelia is not one to be trifled with. There's no underestimating Aphelia the way she underestimated Elizabeth. "You think we're too stupid to throw a ball in a straight line?"

The elf doesn't seem particularly moved by the human's hostility, though. "Knowing if you should do so is often more important than simply being able to," she says evenly.

Penelope scowls, and turns back to see her third squadmate taking her turn. The first throw knocks the bottle off the very top. The second, like Penelope's, hits the bottle on bottom - once again, the bottles rattle, the table shakes slightly, and nothing else happens.

"Are you sure they're not bolted to the table or something?" asks the girl who'd just thrown. She was the one who Elizabeth had nearly brought to tears earlier, although you cannot precisely call up her name at the moment.

The elven vendor adopts a stricken, almost hurt expression, and makes an elaborate show of lifting up each and every bottle as she sets the fallen ones back up. "As you can see," she says, setting the pyramid back in order, "everything is perfectly as it appears."

"...Neianne should do it," comes a sudden suggestion from the second team member one who'd thrown after Penelope, but they all suddenly turn to look at you.

You make a sound that most closely resembles a startled squeak before you manage a more coherent response: "M-Me?"

"Yes, you," Penelope says, apparently latching onto the idea. "You'll be perfect."

"Your arm's better now," the third girl notes. "And you're strong enough to punch a boar to death during the field exam."

"I c-cut it with my sword!" you clarify, looking between Aphelia and Penelope for backup.

Penelope waves a hand in the air vaguely as if to dismiss the distinction. "You're strong either way," she says. "Now are you going to do it, or are you going to stand back and be disdainful with all the fine ladies who are too good to try?"

Aphelia is the only such "fine lady" present, although that's probably just who she meant. "Lady A-Aphelia isn't being disdainful," you protest, fighting hard to keep from cringing back a little.

Penelope looks like she wants to say something harsh to that, but instead simply sucks in a deep breath. "Fine. Are you going to do it or not? It's free."

Aphelia gives Penelope a hard look, but doesn't quite respond. "It can't hurt anything," she says, after a moment.

"O-Oh. Um...a-alright," you stammer, suddenly aware that your hands are, in fact, full. You quickly shove the rest of your pastry into your mouth - it's delicious, and was getting cold anyway - and drown it down with your grape juice, managing not to choke yourself in the process even as your face feels even hotter than it already is. You're beginning to think that Aphelia is probably right, but it can't hurt to try, at least.

When you approach, the elven merchant hesitates slightly, glancing from the leaves in your hair to the markings on your skin, then to the stack of bottles. Then she relaxes, and hands you the ball, which is definitely lighter and softer than first impressions may have suggested. "Give it a try," she advises, smiling.

You nod and look at the bottles, narrowing your eyes a little in a vain attempt to judge precisely where the invisible point of stress is that will send them all crashing down. It's not a difficult throw beyond the fact that the pyramid is ten meters away, but the ceramic - as Aphelia suggested - must be heavier at the the bottom than it looks. Accepting that you're not going to see anything that the others missed, you wind your arm back - there's some residual stiffness, but nothing too bad - and throw the ball as hard as you can.

It hits one of the bottles on the bottom of the pyramid; a few on the top topple onto the table, the table gives a very violent, creaking shudder, and nothing else happens.

You deflate a little while the others behind you are muttering in quiet suspicion. You hit those bottles about as hard as anyone was going to, and still nothing.

"Second try," the merchant advises you, handing you the ball. All of her earlier apprehension has vanished, and she seems entirely confident once again. You take it, eyeing the table thoughtfully. You think back to the brief exchange between Penelope and Aphelia, understanding that through whatever methods that turn profits, the odds are stacked against you. There's no way to win "fairly"...so it was time to be creative.

The top-heavy table is set up on the cobblestone street, and the wobbling is, as far as you can tell, caused by a combination of loose construction and a single paving stone jutting up right behind the back right-hand table leg. Taking a deep breath, you swing your arm once again to let the ball fly.

You don't actually expect your creativity to get anywhere. At worst, it doesn't work. At best, this isn't precisely the "proper" way to play this game, and this little trick is really more about the principle of being able to knock the bottles down rather than doing anything that will net you a prize.

Your throw is true, striking exactly where you intended: The edge of the tabletop. It hits with a heavy crack, and at first it seems like the table is just going to wobble again. Instead, it tips up, with the front legs leaving the ground, and the back leg levering over the raised paving stone. The merchant lets out a cry of alarm as the entire table topples over, and all the bottles hit the ground at once.

There's a general cry of jubilation from the humans, and Penelope's two squadmates are suddenly slapping you on the shoulder and ruffling your hair in a way that's mildly uncomfortable but still a bit gratifying. Aphelia looks mildly surprised, but also a little amused. "Well, that's one way to do it," she concedes.

"I j-just did what you suggested," you admit. When she tilts her head slightly to the side in mild puzzlement, you remind her, "You said th-that sometimes you need to know wh-when to not to throw in a s-straight line."

Her expression betrays a hint of surprise until suddenly her amusement turns into a slight but more genuine smile. "You do have a talent for thinking outside the box," she notes, and you can't help but feel a prideful swell in your chest.

"Look!" comes an urgent whisper from Penelope. You turn back to the stall to see her leaning so far over the counter that her legs are actually in the air, pointing at the toppled bottles. As you approach and look along with the others - it's a little difficult for you, given your height - you see what she means. The merchant is on the ground frantically trying to pick the bottles up with an unusual amount of haste, and you can see that it's largely because of the rounded stones that have come spilling out of the bottles that were on the bottom. "She cheated!" Penelope hisses, facing starting to heat up indignantly.

The elven merchant flinches, looking around to see who else might have heard that. Surprisingly, though, Penelope is keeping her voice low enough that it doesn't carry. "I'm not even charging anyone," the vendor insists. "It's nothing like cheating, just...a little added challenge."

"How many people pay for extra throws once they run out of their free ones?" one of Penelope's friends demands.

The merchant looks uncomfortable. You glance up at Aphelia, instinctively looking to her to resolve this, but surprisingly it's Penelope that comes up with a solution.

"Give all of us a real prize, and we won't say anything," she says. Beside her, the other girls catch on, and move in to flank her, arms folded, forming a united, oddly threatening human front.

"All of you?" the merchant asks, eyes wide.

"Yes," Penelope insists. "Treiser too, just because I don't like you."

The elf merchant waffles a little bit, but she clearly notices a small crowd gathering behind the human girls - an oblivious crowd, but for how long? - and her shoulders slump in mute defeat. The five of you walk away not terribly long later, Penelope and her friends looking smug with their own prizes, Aphelia looking vaguely amused, you clutching a large stitched toy wyvern that was pushed into your arms by unanimous decision.

"That," Penelope says, looking entirely satisfied, "calls for a drink." She and the other human girls quickly raid a stand full of complimentary beverages, and with your arms full of toy wyvern, you feel someone press a cup to your lips. The pressure is somewhat insistent, and when you open your mouth, you try not to splutter as you feel whomever's holding it tip the entire contents down your throat at once. Your senses are momentarily overwhelmed by grape, and you hiccup a little once it's all gone down. This leads to another round of enthusiastic jostling and back-patting.

Off to the side, the odd girl out is Aphelia, the elf with fine winter clothes. When you glance to her a little questioningly, she only shrugs. "I try not to think too much about extorting a cheater," she says, flipping over the prize she reluctantly extracted: A small statuette of some kind, you can't precisely tell of what. She glances over to Penelope, remarking, "I am surprised you did not report her or punch her in the face."

Penelope shrugs. "Best case, we get a pat on the back, she gets told to pack up and leave or gets some kind of fine. No prizes for us. Worst case, she's someone important's third cousin and they don't want to do anything to annoy her so they decide not to believe us. This way, we get the prizes, and she isn't going to dare pulling this kind of thing here again."

"I suppose," Aphelia allows.

In which we continue to make friends and impress people through our... unorthodox methods of thinking and listening to what people tell us and then acting on it in our own way. I think.

On another note, are there trains in this setting? Because if there is a train, we need to get STRONG enough to suplex it. I guess we could settle for a carriage instead but... it wouldn't be the same.

Thanks for updating even if it's in this piecemeal fashion, this is quite fun to read.

No fookin' way, son, I was just thinking about this quest a few days ago. Nice to see it get updated again.

Back