[x] Take a moment to flank left in a surprise pincer attack instead, hoping that Stephanie and Elizabeth will manage to flank right while Eleanore goes down the center in rough tandem.

I quite like the idea of her with a ruthless streak in fighting and that she knows her teammates would adapt due to their competence, as a leader she can't worry about them now plus going into Elizabeth spells in effect, yeah right!
Only some deserters but the rest is below standard.

Adhoc vote count started by Jrin on Jun 26, 2019 at 9:02 PM, finished with 2707 posts and 43 votes.

[x] Take the safe option and rush towards where you heard the blast, making sure that Stephanie and Elizabeth are safe and unhurt.

I really don't like the precedent of ignoring a predetermined signal and do like the idea of Neanne prioritizing her squad in general.

Ah.

Please, no jumping.

Don't you fucking dare.

I greatly enjoy your fiction, @Kei, and I appreciate the analyses you've posted in N&P.

I would not, in any way, appreciate another author I respect committing suicide.

Please don't, in any fashion, not just by jumping.

... My apologies for not producing any commentary on your update and the vote we're to make. I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

I can't tell if you're serious, and gods know that I'm in a lot of communities around the internet where extremely dry humor about suicide is used as a coping mechanism, so I have no room to talk, but just in case -

Please stay safe. The world is pretty shitty as is, and you seem like a pretty cool person. I don't think we can really afford to lose more cool people.

Also, I'm going to include myself in the list of voices remonstrating the whole jumping comment. Please don't do that.

I would normally dismiss this as dark humor, but you've previously mentioned depression so... please believe me when I say I absolutely found this chapter to be worth the wait.

section removed you saw nothing sorry

You changed name there

Fixed, sorry.

... @Kei would staying in place and guarding Sieglinde as she used her bow to support Eleanore from range be a viable write-in?

I'm not sure it would be the best tactical move, but it sounded like the disadvantage to Sieglinde's bow would only come with the denser foliage off on the left flank.

Perhaps that's true, but this is more of a snap decision on Neianne's part, so she's probably thinking that - at the very least - she and Sieglinde will be working together. Besides, Sieglinde is a pretty good shot, but she's not Wilhelmina, if you know what I mean.

When you say that the other two are somewhere to our right, is that like to the right along roughly the same flank, or do we have the bandits in roughly an L shape?

The latter. Although it perhaps better to say that Stephanie and Elizabeth are still a bit distant enough from you that both descriptions aren't very meaningfully different.

Boy, it has been a while, hasn't it?

im sorry

I do find the line about the "foremothers" being sinless interesting.

This may be poorly written on my part. Eleanore is suggesting that her "foremothers" - the old guard of the military and religious castes of the old Tenereian Empire that lost in the civil war and fled to Caldrein - were sinful because of their pursuit of power and personal gain, and that while the knight orders attempt to move away from that, they are not always successful. I'll go back and edit soon.

Question, considering how spooked most of the bandits seem to be, well uneasy at least...

Would a 'Knight' and us Famous Mercs may-be able to cow them into submission...

Well ok we'd probably need our favorite lightning user to do well at it, a Greatsword probably will work well enough. We'll have to probably kill the leader to break their morale but 'I'm a dryad so you'll die tired if you run away from me in the forest' will probably make them stick together...

Do they all get killed if they surrender(?)

I have faith in Elizabeth that she wouldn't blast the reinforcements she specifically called for with a predetermined signal. Forgive me for not thinking the option is "counterproductive".
...no? Nothing to do with whether the signal was used by her or not. She's firing into enemies with little time to select targets. Its entirely possible to get nuked without even being noticed.

You don't support a grenadier by straightlining to them through the main body of their targets. You split off their attackers from another angle

[x] Take advantage of Eleanore's momentum as a knight, and use her as the bulwark for a devastating frontal attack.

[x] Take a moment to flank left in a surprise pincer attack instead, hoping that Stephanie and Elizabeth will manage to flank right while Eleanore goes down the center in rough tandem.

Eleanore can be the main Tank while we do Off Tank jobs. Turn the enemy away from the party so that Steph and Sieg could act as our melee DPS. Elizabeth can cast from afar.

Then when the big attack comes we should stack to distribute the damage- wait, this isn't my MMOs

I feel like we definitely shouldn't go for a full on pincer. An L shaped flank like the one we've got is a good enough advantage as it is, and with the poor terrain in this particular case, a U shape won't provide as much of an advantage as it should. If we had all the time in the world to set it up, a U shape might still be worth it, but as it is we've made contact so if we want to get some flanking going, we should make use of what we already have while we still have it instead of getting greedy and risking the enemy being able to take the initiative.

On the subject of character appearances, even though we have "official portraits" of several characters already, such as Zabanya, I can't help keep picturing her in my mind as something like Cagliostro from Granblue Fantasy. I mean, she already has the smug down pat.

Orig source (NSFW): ついったーまとめ

[x] Take the safe option and rush towards where you heard the blast, making sure that Stephanie and Elizabeth are safe and unhurt.

It's the signal.

Yay! More Elsparian Road!

Well, Eleanore was much more amusing than I was expecting.

Have to say I'm kinda leery of running off to Elizabeth et al. like that given the apparent distance. Half a kilometer through a forest isn't exactly something we can cover fast, and panicking and splitting up right instead of dealing with the enemies in front of us strikes me as asking for trouble.

[x] Take advantage of Eleanore's momentum as a knight, and use her as the bulwark for a devastating frontal attack.

With regards to the exact distance between you and the explosion of lightning magecraft: I am bad at conceptualizing distances, and I don't want everyone here to be tripped up by the exact number. I'll go back and edit to what I myself (an extremely unfit, chronically sick person with highly flawed cardiovascular, circulatory, and respiratory systems and a vitamin D deficiency) imagine is a more reasonable distance, but for the time being, please assume that it's a distance that's far enough away that you'd have to go a bit out of your way to get there, but isn't so distant that a flanking maneuver - if all things go well - isn't implausible.

Question, considering how spooked most of the bandits seem to be, well uneasy at least...

Would a 'Knight' and us Famous Mercs may-be able to cow them into submission...

Well ok we'd probably need our favorite lightning user to do well at it, a Greatsword probably will work well enough. We'll have to probably kill the leader to break their morale but 'I'm a dryad so you'll die tired if you run away from me in the forest' will probably make them stick together...

I'm willing to basically assume that a very hasty offer of solution is given in a way that is reasonable and doesn't compromise what element of surprise can be preserved. Also, humans are likely to out-endurance dryads, and aseri are likely to run faster. No indication if they're super good at navigating woodlands, though.

Do they all get killed if they surrender(?)

The legal sentencing of bandits is tragically not under the purview of sixteen-/seventeen-/eighteen-year-old Caldran mercenary apprentices. If they do surrender, their fates will probably rest in the hands of Sigrid Rossfeldt Almsyre, the Sheriff of Apaloft.

As an aside, I'm seeing a lot of semi-new faces. I am sorry that I haven't been greeting and thank each and every one of you individually; somewhere along the line, actually managing to put out content sapped a lot of my ability to concentrate on things in this thread, and I've very embarrassingly lost track. Still, I want to take a moment to personally thank those relatively recent newcomers who have stuck around since the update before this one: @A_Knight , @Bass11 , @BloodsCrescendo , @commando2341 , @CynicalCoffee , @Dakini , @darkoda , @Defmania , @Edkose , @Ephemeral_Dreamer , @fabiopenz , @Lortee , @NoctemCat , @Null 5 , @oso , @primemountain , @quichwe10 , @Reinholdt , @StormLord , @UrsaTempest , and @WolfKit . I'm sorry I didn't poke you immediately when you first joined, and I'm also sorry if I missed anyone who joined recently but aren't mentioned here, but I'm really super glad and grateful that you've found this quest and think it worthy of your attention. Here's hoping I keep you entertained, and won't take another bloody two months to do it. x_x

(This is not even close to the most people I've ever tagged in a single post. Let's hope I don't have to do it again, though. x_x )

Well, a public thank you is one way to keep me wanting to read.

You didn't need to do that though, because this quest is very high quality. I'm still curious about how evolution ended up with one gender here, though.

Ultimately, what we're seeing here is the problem that we haven't gotten detailed signals set up.

We need to know the difference between "we've engaged the enemy" and "HELP", and right now we don't have that. Like, I'd expect them to signal us if they got into any encounter that they couldn't immediately stealth kill or something. But there's an inherent difference in how we should respond to that if we were just moving along and hadn't gotten anywhere yet vs. we're at the enemy base and our NPC party member is engaging them.

I'm skeptical about us seeing another dramatic monster encounter here, and am inclined to suspect that that's Neianne getting carried away with herself due to her last experiences. We certainly haven't heard any giant monster roars.

With regards to bandits, I similarly don't see why there would be more than a few of them out there - you'd expect most of them to be here pulling together their loot.

Overall, I think it's best to focus on dealing with the main body of bandits in front of us, and trust that Elizabeth and whatshername can handle the, in all probability, more minor threat they're faced with rather than panicking.

So, your pick when the signal lightning is used is to set yourself in a pincer expecting them to beat their current issue anyway.

Interesting way of thinking. And also crazy, but interesting.

Last edited:

I think the flanking maneuver is misguided. We're not able to communicate with Elizabeth and Stephanie. How are they suppose to know to flank alongside us?

Back