Should we add something about not splitting up further? Considering the wyvern and the Squirrel's attack, it should be IC to worry about something unexpected going wrong. Maybe include a line about no-one going off on their own (especially since we're meant to pretend the observer isn't there)?

Yay, update~
"What do you see in Zabanya, anyways?" demands Wendy on a sunny afternoon in between probing jabs of her spear, her strikes impeded by the large slab of metal that is your buster sword between the two of you on the training grounds of Faulkren Academy.
Don't look at me, I'm on Team Vesna.

"Wh-What?" you blink, inexplicably suddenly feel a little nervous at the question.

"Aren't the two of you going out?"
*snicker* Alas, poor Neianne, once again victimized by the Faulkren Rumor Mill.

Mortified, you stammer, "W-W-We're not going ou...!"

Which is as far as you get, because in your hurry to clarify yourself, you provide just enough of an opening - in your assumption that this explanation is more important than your spar - for Wendy to slam the shaft of her spear into your spear. You're reduced to clutching your face in pain, wondering if you're suffering from a bloody nose.
sword

Unless that was meant to be a metaphor, in which case she's grabbing the wrong place *fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees*

Wendy gives you a speculative look. Slightly concerned again, and a little suspicious. "So, the two of you talk about girls now?"
Neianne, you ain't digging out of this hole without going on the offensive.

"Zabanya is..." Wendy trails off, looking like she's struggling with some kind of justification. After a moment, she seems to find her footing as she frowns and her voice is colored with anger: "You want to talk about 'because we thought we'd get away with it?' She did get away with it! She knew that she's a noble and we're nothing, and she's an elf and we're only human trash. The whole Confederacy revolves around people like her, and they can just...step on everyone else that's in the way. She is everything that's wrong with this country!"

"How do you know that?" you demand.

That question seems to flummox Wendy, and she stares for a long moment, unable to give voice or reason to whatever feeling is stuck within her heart. "I...don't..."
To be fair, the blighted underclass holding resentment at the upper class and holding them as responsible for their ails is the standard and expected response.

In this case, her attitude isn't even entirely inaccurate, because Elizabeth certainly isn't one to want to do much about the current system.

"Did Penelope even come here to Faulkren to learn what was wrong with this country?" you press. "Has she read anything about how the Confederacy works? Why things are the way they are, if they're different in other places? What's been tried before? Scholars have written about this for years and years!", Elizabeth's dry lilt comes back to you, knowledgeably listing off names of scholars and intellectuals who have written on the subject without any visible effort.
She probably just came to learn how to hit things better and, y'know, warm roof and food. :V

An awkward moment passes before you murmur, "I didn't mean to say th-things about Penelope."
But it's so easy!

Wendy regards you for a long moment before observing with a hint of unhappiness, "She's really rubbing off on you."

You blink, caught off-guard. "Wh-What do you mean?"

But Wendy doesn't seem to be in a hurry to answer that question, instead half-heartedly quipping, "And not in the fun kind of way either."
I'm aware this is going to be contentious but I want to highlight this bit again right here. This is -not- the first time we're seeing this comment/complaint and likely not going to be the last. Neianne's social selections matter because she was such a undereducated wallflower beforehand. She's going to be heavily influenced by who she hangs out with--hang out with one person overmuch and everyone is going to notice and point out that they think it's affecting her growth in negative or particular ways.

The more realistic among your number don't foresee much beyond rescuing kittens out of trees, but the most imaginative float ideas such as hunting boar with the dryads of Roldharen.

When the assignments are finally posted onto the bulletin boards, there is a rush of apprentices all milling around the back wall with a fair amount of good-natured jostling and vying for the best spots. Predictably, several apprentices have their excitement turn to disappointment when they discover that many of the assignments in questions are actually quite mundane. "It feels like it's just an excuse for the townspeople to foist their chores on us," you hear one girl complain.
Is...is it time for D-Ranks? :V

"It may," the instructor allows with a shrug. She takes another sip from her cup before adding, "You may wish to know that the Sheriff of Apaloft is passing through."

Your eyes widen. "Lady Almsyre?" As one of Apaloft's highest-ranking lawwomen, most Apaloftians have at least heard of Sigrid Rossfeldt Almsyre, a younger daughter of a minor noble house who has had an illustrious career in tracking down some of Apaloft's most horrendous criminals and bringing them to justice.
Wow, great progress Neianne. At this time last year, I'm not sure you would've known who that was!

But you're halfway down the road to town when Stephanie finally rides up beside you, and in a hushed voice you suspect is typical conversation for every aseri aside from Mia, says, "Watching the two of you talk is so weird."

You're taken a little aback by that statement. "Wh-What do you mean?" you ask.

Stephanie makes a face. "It's like Zabanya likes you. I mean, I guess that's a given, seeing how she invited you to her fief, but. The only person I've seen her talk like that with is Sieglinde." She grimaces. "It's weird."

You fidget in your saddle. "She's tr-trying to be nice," you mumble.

"Yes, and that scares me a little."
Who knows, maybe Elizabeth realized that Neianne is the main character. :rofl:

A week doesn't pass these days without someone crying to me about thievery or larceny. Poaching's gotten real popular. Drunkenness too. Some girl disappeared last week. No hint of foul play yet, and she probably ran off with some other girl her parents don't like, but they insist it's a kidnapping, and I can't not have people on it without residents getting on my case. Banditry is a new one, and I don't know if we're equipped to handle it.
Some of those crimes look a little familiar to me... :ninja:

We're guarding a small town, not a big city, we don't usually have to deal with their kind of problems. It doesn't help that my numbers have been cut, both in terms of personnel and funding.
Bit of a mixed pressure on their roster too, I imagine. The very best might be poached or headhunted for the War while the very worst might be let go because of cut funding.

"That's the plan: You do the heavy lifting for her and keep out of too much trouble. Although I suppose you should also know that the merchants who were attacked said someone has gone after the bandits. There's a bit of disagreement on who she is, exactly, which makes me a bit suspicious. Some say she's a client, others say she's a caravan guard. But she was supposed to be transporting some ancestral sword or whatever, and was long gone by the time we responded. The merchants said they last saw her running south in pursuit of the bandits. Now I usually wouldn't care much about guards trying to play hero - the sheriff certainly didn't - and I'm not saying you should go look for her when we don't know if she's alive or dead, but just in case you run into her, maybe you can ask her what she found. Or at least tell her to help or get out of the way."
And just to introduce a potential wrinkle--that particular caravan guard could have been in on it and is just joining the bandits to split the proceeds on the sword.

For a moment, she swivels her head just a hair, as if trying to see where the nearest fae is. Her gaze eventually stops at a spot just over your shoulder, and a hint of surprise flickers across her expression.
See? Even the fae know the cool place to hang out is right over Neianne.

It is about now that you understand that your role as leader is not taken entirely seriously. It's not that you are disrespected insomuch as you don't have the kind of presence or temperament or force of personality that reminds people that you are a leader, and that the decision ultimately rests on you. The lack of a clear source of leadership leads people to make their own decisions, and you are failing to assert yourself.
Just pointing out that Stephanie was the one to start the ripple. :p

---

[X] Plan Override
-[X] Stop them before they leave and assert that the squad will be all going together to meet the Sheriff at the attack site instead.
--[X] She's still the leader, but if forced to explain, they have no provisions for long distance communication, whether for rendezvousing after the Sheriff team would have been done and trying to catch up or if the tracking team encountered complications. This places the tracking team at risk as they won't have a clear picture on the nature of the attack and the potential capabilities and numbers of the bandits, information that can be learned together from the Sheriff and the attack location first.
---[X] The caravan guard is also an unknown. They could already be in trouble, but they could be also uncooperative or otherwise detrimental to completing the mission. They even could actually have been cooperating with the bandits and are leaving with an alibi to meet back up with them. It's not appropriate to split the team at this juncture to go after them.
----[X] Further, yes, Elizabeth should have told you more details on the fae reading. As it stands, ill fortune isn't a reason to continue with a planned action if there are alternatives available.

Spelling out the line of thinking here for why the current actions aren't very good and to hopefully level up Neianne's leadership a bit and/or at least give her some reasons that Kei can ICify for why Neianne feels it's necessary to speak up and change things.

Wendy doesn't look particularly at ease either. It's hard to really come back from this. And no matter how much your sparring partner is trying to suggest that you aren't entirely wrong, it still feels like you've crossed a line somewhere. Not a line that you can't come back from, but still not exactly something that makes it easy for either of you.

"Yes, and that scares me a little."
Warning signs of staying too long in Elizabeth's orbit, hopefully we interact with other classmates depending on how much our teammates disregard with our orders as a way to cool down.

[X] Plan Override
-[X] Stop them before they leave and assert that the squad will be all going together to meet the Sheriff at the attack site instead.
--[X] She's still the leader, but if forced to explain, they have no provisions for long distance communication, whether for rendezvousing after the Sheriff team would have been done and trying to catch up or if the tracking team encountered complications. This places the tracking team at risk as they won't have a clear picture on the nature of the attack and the potential capabilities and numbers of the bandits, information that can be learned together from the Sheriff and the attack location first.
---[X] The caravan guard is also an unknown. They could already be in trouble, but they could be also uncooperative or otherwise detrimental to completing the mission. They even could actually have been cooperating with the bandits and are leaving with an alibi to meet back up with them. It's not appropriate to split the team at this juncture to go after them.
----[X] Further, yes, Elizabeth should have told you more details on the fae reading. As it stands, ill fortune isn't a reason to continue with a planned action if there are alternatives available.

Screw it, just gonna post my own version.

[X] Plan: Hey, listen, don't split the party (further)!
-[X] Stop them. Even if dividing forces may be the best idea, you all still need a way to signal each other in case something go wrong. And a place and time to regroup if no signal is sent.
-[X] Elizabeth really should tell you what exactly you're being told to charge into if she has more details.
-[X] Safe extraction should be priority over fighting the bandits until you have the information from the Sheriff.
-[X] No-one goes off on their own; groups of two or all of us (not including the teacher)

This is just the Hey listen! plan with an add-on to encourage Stephanie and Elizabeth to not get in an argument and split up.

Should we add something about not splitting up further? Considering the wyvern and the Squirrel's attack, it should be IC to worry about something unexpected going wrong. Maybe include a line about no-one going off on their own (especially since we're meant to pretend the observer isn't there)?
Just gonna point out that at this is starting to go into paranoia at this point. We cannot make plans with lines that go over everything that could go wrong. The whole point of the signal is to cover this.

Is this the fruit of postponing decision?

[X] Plan Override

That said, I'll support on any plan with at least a modicum of asserting Neianne's leadership. If this look like its not winning, I'll change on the most voted plan that qualify so.

My apologies for the tardiness in replying. I've been working, attending class, and nursing depression since the last update.

And speaking of the last update, there are a few details in it that I'm not happy about, so I'll go back and make minor edits soon.

Okay sooo IDK what's up with Sieg not doing the fae thing.

Most elves don't do the "fae thing", not just Sieglinde. Although elves are the only one of Iuryis' four humanoid races to in any way be able to perceive the fae (who look less like faeries as they are traditionally depicted and more like geometrically-weird energy spirits), that doesn't mean they can communicate with them coherently. Aphelia tried asking one whether there was anyone coming up the other side of a hill, and the best she could do was decide "maybe" after listening to what was to her probably nonsensical chattering. Elizabeth similarly just now also gave only a token effort to communicate with the fae, suggesting that she didn't really expect to get any answers and was only doing so to screw with Sieglinde, who is entirely too serious to "waste her time" trying to understand anything the fae are saying. So...

This line caught my eye. Elizabeth got some Intel and isn't sharing it? We should ask her to share her faerie Intel as best she can.

The big worry I have is that whatever Eliza was talking about with Neianne and Sieg being 'screwed' is looming out there and going to get them if we do this split-up thing.

I think Elizabeth was sarcastically teasing Sieglinde, and she did not learn of any information that indicates there is or isn't danger. This is part of why I want to go back and make edits; I don't seem to be communicating things well.

Why would they even need to go to the Sherif anyway?

The guard here in the town of Faulkren has not been doing well. Some guards have ended up joining the war effort, some guards have been laid off because the local nobility is already paying for soldiers and thus can't pay as many guards (as @Spectrum pointed out), and the few remaining guards there are in town are dealing with what is frankly just the edge of a growing crime wave in Caldrein. They were told by their superiors to make do by asking the instructors of Faulkren Academy for help - because they're also, you know, real Caldran mercenaries - but they're also busy training apprentices for a war (and also implied to be doing some sneaky intelligence work, as shown when instructors were sent to investigate the Squirrels in Arc One and then later Stephanie's financial situation in Arc Two).

By assigning Squad Four to the guard, the instructors are hoping to kill two birds with one stone: Apprentices get to train and guards get the help that they've been asking for. Of course, Sergeant Aethla isn't entirely happy about this because 1) putting aside she wanted actual mercenaries instead of apprentices, she doesn't feel good about assigning teenagers still in training to hunt down bandits when she herself doesn't have guards who are qualified for that kind of combat (Faulkren's a small town, they don't usually get serious crime, so most guards just handle stupid stuff like drunkenness or vandalism); and 2) even if she did feel good about it, it would be really bad for the local guard if an apprentice got hurt, and her superiors learned that she "foisted the work she was supposed to do onto mercenary apprentices". Ultimately, though, Aethla needs the manpower and isn't going to get it anywhere else, so she's sending them to Sheriff Sigrid Rossfeldt Almsyre (who is responsible for the whole region of Apaloft and thus is only passing through) under the reasoning that at least the sheriff will keep them safe and the apprentices really just need to do the heavy lifting legwork instead of actively putting themselves in danger.

sword

Unless that was meant to be a metaphor, in which case she's grabbing the wrong place *fleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees*

I actually meant "face". I edited that before you made your post, though, so maybe that means your refresh-fu is weak.

*shot*

I'm aware this is going to be contentious but I want to highlight this bit again right here. This is -not- the first time we're seeing this comment/complaint and likely not going to be the last. Neianne's social selections matter because she was such a undereducated wallflower beforehand. She's going to be heavily influenced by who she hangs out with--hang out with one person overmuch and everyone is going to notice and point out that they think it's affecting her growth in negative or particular ways.

I'm reasonably sure that I have at multiple points explained that this would be the case when I first began giving options as to who to start hanging out with, so...

I actually meant "face". I edited that before you made your post, though, so maybe that means your refresh-fu is weak.

*shot*
I refreshed before starting to reply, it's not my fault I had to take a little time to get through your very completely short 5.6k word update. ;P

Those are not the warning sides you think they are, methinks. People who talk down on Elizabeth rarely actually interact with her, and keep in mind that the two people you currently questioning our relationship with her are also kind of at odds with her.

One of them was part of a group that not only I initiated the hostilities but assaulted her with hot soup, so their concernes have the weight of the softest winds.

The other, while our roommate and someone whom I feel we should trust with our life, also kind of still has not given us reason to trust them as far as we... wait that does not work here, Neianne is super strong.

Those are not the warning sides you think they are, methinks. People who talk down on Elizabeth rarely actually interact with her, and keep in mind that the two people you currently questioning our relationship with her are also kind of at odds with her.

One of them was part of a group that not only I initiated the hostilities but assaulted her with hot soup, so their concernes have the weight of the softest winds.

The other, while our roommate and someone whom I feel we should trust with our life, also kind of still has not given us reason to trust them as far as we... wait that does not work here, Neianne is super strong.
Our instructor also commented on it.

[X] Plan Override

We need Wendy and Penelope to talk to Seglinde. She's the one who can actually tell them why things are fcked up and where to push to change them, which I think addresses what Penelo and Wendy wanted put of the soup incident: a sense of agency in the country's future. I think it would do Seglinde good to see people who really, really want to take what's in her head and make it real, because her peers have been dismissive or indifferent thus far and it's pushed her too far into her shell.

We need to articulate to Wendy what we are actually getting out of our relationship with Z if we want to keep both as friends. Part of it is feeling special, I think: Z doesn't have any other friends, and being offered something that can't be had for blood or money is always huge. Part of it is, I think, a broken wing thing: we want to fix Z so she is less cruel. I view this as a good goal. Part of it has to be that Z really is interesting- she is teaching us at least as much as some of our other teachers.

But really, I think we most need to get Wendy and Penelope to understand that Z views most nobles the same way they do, if for very different reasons. And we need Z to tell us what would move her to respecting these girls, because that is going to be the biggest blocker to any other progress.

As far as the plans go- Steph needs to either tell us enough that we can protect her interests, or leave the squad. We are really not going to have a problem keeping her secrets and shielding her from exposure, if we know enough to know what is safe and what is dangerous. We can't have her going rogue though- if she wants to make decisions than she should be leader. Don't top from the bottom.

The solo pursuer sounds like a cool hero type, but our job here is to do the heavy lifting for the sheriff: not recover the sword, not kill the bandits. So we do our job, and meet with our current CO, and make plans from there.

She already did. They need to get stronger, challenge her again and win. Or a wyvern, whoever they choose.

I was hoping we could push her into something realistic. Especially given that ambush is the most practical path to that, and I STRONGLY suspect that would prompt revenge over respect. All we really need is for her not to piss them off for the lulz when they try for good-faith connections.

And tbh, if Z can't respect people that can't beat her, we should distance ourselves. I like her a lot, but that is a toxic downward spiral waiting to happen- we need to break it or escape it.

So this has been posted in my Sufficiently Literary writing thread, and I'm kind of increasingly shameless about trying to get people interested in my writing, but. x_x

A new original space fantasy work commissioned by @shaderic is now live on something other than my Patreon: Intercessor: AKA あたしは異世界に移動された、獣耳の女の子を襲われた(性欲的に) (AKA Kemonomimi Yuri Space Fantasy) is now live on Sufficient Velocity, SpaceBattles, and (soon) Royal Road. Please enjoy~

While it's not relevant now, it's important to remember that a bunch of other students are wandering around, likely complaining about having pointless stuff. While it may not be wise to try and poach students from other tasks to help hunt bandits, it's something to keep in mind.

For example, if we meet bandits and have a chance to talk to them. Pointing out how eager all the other apprentices would be to do something 'important' like track down the bandits if they don't surrender might be a tactic to consider.

I was hoping we could push her into something realistic. Especially given that ambush is the most practical path to that, and I STRONGLY suspect that would prompt revenge over respect. All we really need is for her not to piss them off for the lulz when they try for good-faith connections.

And tbh, if Z can't respect people that can't beat her, we should distance ourselves. I like her a lot, but that is a toxic downward spiral waiting to happen- we need to break it or escape it.

Z seemed to have some respect for Wendi who was the only one to keep calm at the Christmass dinner when Z joined their table (and even tried to kinda refute her); the Maid during the political season also kinda somewhat impressed her by providing rationally sound arguments to back up her position. She doesn't just judge people solely by how well they can fight.

So they don't need to physically beat her. She seems to respect people who have a firm opinion, arguments to back it up and guts to stand up to pressure. She uses her cruelty, charisma and intellect to test people; she's answered with magecraft only once and in responce to a physical assault. She's not a Khorne berserk.

Alas, Penelope's failed in two aspects by Z's metric: guts and arguments. She raises a valid point that she's yet to read a single book about society afaik, yet she walks around like she knows what's wrong and how to fix it. And remember the incident with an elven merchant? Penelope didn't act like she cares about betterment of society at all there, only for her own goals. Hilariously, I think if Penelope've just stated "I want to hurt you for revenge" Z would have respected her more.

As for guts, I don't know what exactly happened in the dorm, but there wasn't even a sign that they tried to fight back. They likely just stared at Z until she struck them. Does that show the lack of guts? No, but Z thinks that the girls had been so brave in the open, among other people and then so meek in private; and makes conclusions according to that.

Compare that to Neianne. She's always meek and insecure, yes. But once Neianne proved that she's not a coward, Z started actually paying attention and realised that she's just super shy. But Neianne does have a rather firm opinion on things, and she's not afraid to voice it neither in company nor in private to Z. And when Neianne realises that she doesn't know what to think or how to back up her argument? She finds knowldege: from other people or from books. Neianne was likely the only person to speak openly to Z about Penelope, and she did it because she wanted to know why Z did what she did. And she wasn't approving and said so right to her face.

Last edited:
She raises a valid point that she's yet to read a single book about society afaik, yet she walks around like she knows what's wrong and how to fix it. And remember the incident with an elven merchant? Penelope didn't act like she cares about betterment of society at all there, only for her own goals.

Yeah- Penelope knows that there is a problem and it has to change, but not what or how. Hence trying to get her in a room with Seglinde.

Does that show the lack of guts? No, but Z thinks that the girls had been so brave in the open, among other people and then so meek in private; and makes conclusions according to that.

This speaks to me as experience from a poor and abused background, where nobles can and do apply overwhelming force in private to drive home lessons they are polite about in public. Basically, I think this is not the first time either Wendy or Penelope have been in a situation where an authority is abusing them, and they've learned resistance will only make the response harsher.

I dislike Z being oblivious enough to read abuse victims as cowards for applying the lessons they've learned- but she seems to have this blindspot with her sisters as well.

Neainne, then, is not so different except for her lack of experience with nobles. She hadn't internalized that challenging them leads to pain without recourse, so she goes ahead and does it anyway. This is naivitey masquerading as courage, not a real difference between her and them.

I just wish I knew how to phrase that in a way that would make Z understand that almost nothing in what they did or how they responded was really about her or her actions.

Last edited:
This speaks to me as experience from a poor and abused background, where nobles can and do apply overwhelming force in private to drive home lessons they are polite about in public. Basically, I think this is not the first time either Wendy or Penelope have been in a situation where an authority is abusing them, and they've learned resistance will only make the response harsher.

Sadly, based on what little we've seen of Pen's homelife, it's not nobles who abuse her, it's her own perpetually drunk mother. Which kinda fits the theme of being polite and gentle in the open but cruel and harsh back home, I realise now that I think of it. That's what happens when social scientists write character development.

I dislike Z being oblivious enough to read abuse victims as cowards for applying the lessons they've learned- but she seems to have this blindspot with her sisters as well.

I can't say I dislike her, quite the contrary. She's a fun character to read about, methinks. And this blindspot you've mentioned? It's a ticking time bomb. Because noble children don't accept abuse. They grow up and learn how to bribe people to pour poison in your night wine. If Z doesn't change how she treats them, she'll likely die without even knowing who killer her.

But I think I must point out that maids didn't seem to be too scared of her. They even thought that letting Neianne wake her up is not a torture session, but a harmless prank. So maybe her sisters are exaggerating.

almost nothing in what they did or how they responded was really about her or her actions.

Does this make it better or worse? I think worse. Let's assume for a moment that a little napping noble girl is just a little napping noble girl. Just like humans have thought. So in that case we have a situation where a group of people abuse and humiliate someone for something they haven't even done. Someone who hasn't done anything, someone innocent.

In this light Z's escalation from "school fight" to "your nerves are on fire bitch" can even seem comparable to Pen's "she's never done anything to me" to "let's humiliate her because we're strong and a mob."

Last edited:
Back