Oh God, am I the Mannis now? - GoT/SI

Which brings the question; can Stabby beat the man if he has to? My impression is that he is more of a 'shot them in the face with a bolt' kind of guy. He won against Robert by making him tire himself out and even then he lost a few times.
OTOH, Robert, especially just after the rebellion, is by all accounts a legendary warrior. So Stabby isn't in bad company there.

You have to consider Stabby would not only also have a full set of plate of the highest quality, but would, effectively, be the only guy truly armoured, thanks to having a valyrian steel sword, he can easily stab through plate. Normal sword vs plate you can only injure the other guy by going for the gaps, and even then it's pretty hard.

Last edited:
"I challenge you for the hand of Lady Janna!"

"Uh-huh."

"Well? What say you?"

"...Uh, huh...Wait, you're serious?" -Literally falls out of his seat laughing- "Hah. Haha...Ouch. Okay, if you plan to make me laugh to death, maybe you have a chance. But seriously. Men? Take aim!"

The best way to handle this, is to not take the guy seriously for even a single second. Otherwise, people start expecting things.

OTOH, Robert, especially just after the rebellion, is by all accounts a legendary warrior. So Stabby isn't in bad company there.

You have to consider Stabby would not only also have a full set of plate of the highest quality, but would, effectively, be the only guy truly armoured, thanks to having a valyrian steel sword, he can easily stab through plate. Normal sword vs plate you can only injure the other guy by going for the gaps, and even then it's pretty hard.

True, however wouldn't that armour make him unable to try to tire out sir apple pie as he did with Robert? I'm sure that if the other guy is more experienced in knightly warfare then he will be able to move more agile in his own suit of armour than Stabby can. Plus since Robert gave Stabby the sword publicly his opponent will know that it is valyrian steel and he will do everything in his power not to stand there and just take the hits. More deflect the blows then try to block them you know.

True, however wouldn't that armour make him unable to try to tire out sir apple pie as he did with Robert? I'm sure that if the other guy is more experienced in knightly warfare then he will be able to move more agile in his own suit of armour than Stabby can. Plus since Robert gave Stabby the sword publicly his opponent will know that it is valyrian steel and he will do everything in his power not to stand there and just take the hits. More deflect the blows then try to block them you know.
Of course he will see it's a Valyrian blade. Doesn't really help him, aside from not being gutted on the first stab.

Thing is, Stabby is at least a competent warrior, but his sword gives him an incredible edge. "DODGE!" Will only take Fossaway so far, I don't believe he has the overwhelming skill advantage to win here.

Barristan, Jaimes, Bronn, Brienne? Yes. Random noble?

Last edited:
Barristan, Jaimes, Bronn, Brienne? Yes. Random noble?
According to the wiki, Jon Fossoway admits to being inferior to in single combat to Lord Bryce Caron or Ser Guyard Morrigen, members of the Rainbow Guard who got killed by a one eyed-knight named Ser Philip Foote at the Battle of the Blackwater and Garlan Tyrell wearing Renly's armor, respectively. Admitting to be lesser to the guy who gets killed by a cyclops does not speak well of one's martial prowess. Oh, and getting captured during the Battle of the Blackwater by a lowborn freerider, with all the training that that implies.

Quick question, next chapter there will be a tourney (a legit one with brackets and drafting) and I want it to mimic Harrenhal. How could Stabby be expected to respond to a straight up calling out for the hand of Janna Tyrell?

Keeping in mind that;

Robert is his brother and he will definitely look down on you for not slapping it down like a man.

He rules over Stormlords which are insanely martial even compared to other regions.

Brandon Stark apparently felt the need to respond to a little shit like Petyr.

He's being called out in front of almost the entire high nobility that was involved in the war,including the Dornish.

Janna is sitting literally next to him as this happens. Also, this happens immediately after a bracket is won by Ser Fossaway the suddenly skilled. If Jorah the Explora can beat Barristan and Jaime, why not call it the power of deluded affection.

also; How will people react to it? Including Janna and the other Tyrells. As well as the gathered high nobility.

What can reasonably happen if he laughs it off? Or if he just shoots him in a fit of rage. (The last one is unlikely to happen)

Its not a question of whether Stabby can kill the guy or not. Equipment, training, skill, he's got the edge in all three. The question is if he should even accept - because if he does, it sets a precedent where other people can challenge him on the flimsiest grounds and expect to be taken seriously. Personally, I feel he should mock the fellow as cruelly as possible (because an example needs to be made and prideful lords fear ridicule more than death) and then following it up by leaving the decision to Janna. Something along the lines of "My lady, do you feel he is worthy of fighting for your hand?" Having the challenger publicly shot down by his lady love would be far more devastating than simply carving him up.

Quick question, next chapter there will be a tourney (a legit one with brackets and drafting) and I want it to mimic Harrenhal. How could Stabby be expected to respond to a straight up calling out for the hand of Janna Tyrell?
There are a few things to consider here:
  • Stabby is not only just representing his own honour here, but also that of the Stormlanders; the new, still unstable royal dynasty, and also his own king. An insult to him is more than just an insult to any other noble.
  • This is an age where people are expected to answer insults with duels, with blood washing dishonour. If Stabby does not react at all in the appropriate manner, he will be considered a coward and people will no longer take him seriously in business.
  • This is a public humiliation for Stabby: there's already been rumours of Janna'a infidelity, and this will only add fuel to the flames. If Stabby wants to make sure that he is not considered a cuckold in a society that values blood relations over few other things, this needs to be reacted to with thunder and fury so that neither his nor Janna's reputation suffers.
In my opinion, cruel mockery is an appropriate reaction -- but vitally, the Fossoway must be challenged to a duel if he insists on asking for her hand, since his claim of love for Janna (and presumably the implied claim that she reciprocates) is a personal insult to not just Stabby, but also the Baratheon and Tyrell families.

He can probably engage in mockery at first, and an offer for Fossoway to retract his declaration would be considered magnanimous, but if he insists? A duel is really the only way to resolve this.

Now, a duel doesn't have to be lethal. It can be done to first blood, but that leaves a certain risk of defeat that Stabby will be unlikely and unwilling to take. A duel to the death will, however, force him to kill him and will result in Fossoway fighting all the harder if his life is on the line. Not to mention that it will certainly burn bridges with the Fossoways and Jann may resent him for it.

On the other hand, if the duel can be declared until one of the combatants is declared "unfit to continue" or cries "Hold!", then Stabby could very much beat him to pulp or cripple him, taunting him about his foolishness all the while.

I'm not sure whether that's a good idea, though, considering that's how Baelish got his start of darkness and that it will give the appearance of Stabby being petty and revengeful... It might be more advantageous to be coldly furious and to let the Fossoway discredit himself through his behaviour, and then beat him fair and square. Let some of that Baratheon rage burn cold, and point out the foolishness of Fossoway's action when you look at hoe the last war started. But there's also a risk to Janna's reputation here if the fight is protracted and somebody says something unwise.

There are many ways Stabby could reasonably handle this situation, but they all bear their own risks. Your call.
What can reasonably happen if he laughs it off?
He will lose influence, and lots of it.
How will people react to it? Including Janna and the other Tyrells. As well as the gathered high nobility.
Janna and the Tyrells will haaaaaaate this entire situation. Her reputation is on the line here, after all. He may be a friend, and she may mourn his loss, but she's unlikely to be actually willing to bat for him. Especially with Olenna there. However, she may well resent Stabby for killing him.

The nobility's reaction will be entirely dependent on how Stabby handles it. Most nobles will probably call Fossoway a fucking moron, especially after the start of the last war, but if Stabby goes overboard and displays pettiness and cruelty, he will have lost much respect for dispatching a minor romantic rival. Not a good bargain.

Last edited:
Is the moron anyone important at all? Any repercussions on gutting him?

Granted, the guy must not be very bright. Yeah, just Challenge the lord paramount of the stormlands and the heir of the Iron throne for the affections of his bethroted. Also, Said Girl is actually the sister of his house liege lord. Does he actually expect that his plan will work? Assuming he wins, what is his next step? ride to his keep to marry his prize? Especially since the Fosoways are vassals of the Tyrells, and got their shiny royal marriage into another Lord Paramount spoiled?

The Tyrells will be grinding teeth. If Stannis does not deal with the problem, the Tyrells will do. Can't have a Bannerman pulling such stunts, right?

Last edited:
Is the moron anyone important at all? Any repercussions on gutting him?

Well from Jannas interlude, it seemed as if Mace was set to marry her to him before Stabby made himself available so I guess he must have some importance to marry a Tyrell.

Granted, the guy must not be very bright. Yeah, just Challenge the lord paramount of the stormlands and the heir of the Iron throne for the affections of his bethroted. Also, Said Girl is actually the sister of his house liege lord. Does he actually expect that his plan will work? Assuming he wins, what is his next step? ride to his keep to marry his prize? Especially since the Fosoways are vassals of the Tyrells, and got their shiny royal marriage into another Lord Paramount spoiled?

The Tyrells will be grinding teeth. If Stannis does not deal with the problem, the Tyrells will do. Can't have a Bannerman pulling such stunts, right?

''There are consequences to my actions?!''

Yeah I think that he somehow expects that Janna will fall in madly in love with him due to his romantic action and that it will somehow work out because it always does for the brave knight and the fair maiden in the songs.

Whatever happens it's not Stabby or Robert that he has to worry about. There will be a long line of people wanting to tar and feather him and I suspect that the Tyrells will be the first ones there, with Janna being one of the first. Wouldn't be surprised if Mace started treating his house like he does the Hightowers or like Hoster treats Walder Frey either.

283 AC – The Rose's Road: Janna Tyrell – Bride to Be

Anything would be preferable to getting sold to a small, and nonthreatening, House in the Reach. Especially with the way that Fossaway Knight has been buttering up my brother.
Methinks Janna was never interested in Ser Jon.

Does Fossoway not know what a Baratheon does when someone steals away his betrothed? It ends with a crushed chest for the thief.

Chapter 2.04
283 AC – King's Landing – Nation Building and Errors of Judgment

On my way to the Maegor's Holdfast I walked alongside one of my more powerful bannermen. The aging Lord was still well built, still held an air of casual danger around him and he seemingly lived to disagree with me. Sweet flattery held little sway over the man, subtle threats only made him scoff and the clattering of gold only moved him when it suited him.

All in all, he was a thoroughly disruptive influence to my plans in the Stormlands.

It wasn't just him.

The same applied to every last one of my Marcherlords. And yet, I needed men like him on board with me. I would greatly prefer them to be fully on board, if at all possible, but I'll settle for grudging acceptance. As it stood now, I had reasonably asserted control over the Eastern and Southern Stormlands. Everything from as far north as the King's Wood, to as far east as Stonedance, and all the way down to Storm's End was well in hand. The Lordships of the Mistwood peninsula were quarrelsome among themselves, but all fell in line at my command. All the lands west of Griffin's Roost, right up until Summerhall, likewise were eager for my favor.

The Marcherlords on the other hand were like a bunch of overly powerful miniature kings. They barely acknowledge Royal influence, are only marginally more receptive to orders from Storm's End, and were more than willing to safeguard their quasi-independence by whichever means necessary.

Fortunately for me, there was one subject that never failed to twig on their heart strings.

"I hope you haven't been too put out by the treaty with Dorne, my Lord?"

A thoroughly distasteful grimace flickered across his face before he replied, "Once again we let slip an opportunity to scourge the dusky cowards, my Prince. None of your Lords are pleased with this, nor should they!"

The hatred for the Dornish ran deep in the Stormlands. Even the Reacherlords never quite inspired the same depths of animosity from my Stormlords. It wasn't a new development either. This particular hatred is ancient on a scale that makes the Blackwood-Bracken rivalry look like a petty disagreement over who got the last cup of Arbor Gold during last night's feast. I certainly did not mind taking advantage of these sentiments.

Princes have used fear, bigotry and hatred to good end since the dawn of civilization. If the price to gain internal cohesion in the Stormlands was to bring the anti-Dornish sentiments to a boiling point, I was more than willing to pay it.

I abruptly stood still and slowly turned to Lord Caron, "My Lord of Nightsong, do not – for one moment – believe that it does not vex me likewise. A humbled Dorne is a good Dorne."

Lord Caron sported a dangerous grin, "The only good Dornishmen are dead ones!"

I knew how this particular story went, "Hear hear."

Next the aging Marcherlord surprised me, "Well, my Prince. What precisely might you be buttering me up for?"

Well, crap. Was I this transparent?

I held in a sigh and replied, "You are the first of my Marcherlords, Lord Caron. Your words carry weight where it matters and I have need of your wagging tongue."

Slowly the man raised an eyebrow, but he chose to remain quiet.

"Our Lord Hand feels that the Dornish matter can be settled." I continued with quite a bit of overt contempt, "He believes that turning an enemy into a friend vanquishes the enemy."

I stared straight at the Marcherlord and kept his gaze hostage, "I told him my Stormlords would call the Dornish bandits friends when he invites his mountain savages to his table."

The big burly warrior threw his head backwards as he let out a whoop of laughter, "I cannot imagine that would sit well with the Old Falcon!"

I simply shrugged, "Apparently, my Lord, I am a bloodthirsty warmonger."

Another one of the man's razor sharp grins flashed at me, "Much like most other Lord's of Storm's End then?"

Now I was the one throwing my head back in whooping laughter, "I shall take that as the highest compliment anyone could wheedle out of you."

Ah, crap. I shouldn't have tried to compliment him. The amusement didn't entirely drain from his bearing, but it was a close run thing. "You are yet to share what you desire of me, my Prince."

Alright, no more dancing around the subject.

"I want the Dornish out of King's Landing."

Lord Caron shrugged and replied, "A worthy cause, I'm sure. I would go as far as to say that Iwant them out of Dorne, but I fear it might not be that simple. We're at peace and our King Stag pledged their safety. They are untouchable and you shall have to forgive me when I say I do not foresee upsetting the Demon of the Trident. Unless he might prove willing to look askance on our behalf?"

I let none of my frustration show when I responded, "I'm afraid not, but that is solely because the Martells have cloaked themselves in the airs of an injured party. Any...direct action towards them would fail, or set too many parts of the Realm against us."

Another slowly raised eyebrow, "I imagine you have a clever ploy at the ready?"

Why did he have to say it distastefully? I'd ask, but that would just derail me.

"Not all that clever, Lord Caron. Simplicity at its finest, in fact. All we need do is remind the Realm just who the Dornish are."

Now the Marcherlord frowned, "I'm afraid I do not follow, your Grace."

Not only is this stubborn bastard one of the few men willing to tell me to go to hell, he wasn't shy about asking for elaborations either. All in all, a thoroughly difficult man to deal with. I much preferred my Lords prideful and easily led by their ego's.

"The Dornish are scorpions in your bed after they've surrendered to you. The Dornish are pits of snakes for the likes of King's. The Dornish are broken parleys and deceitful betrayals. The Dornish answer good graces in the same manner they answer steel. That is Dorne." I held my hand up before he could reply, "The Dornish are not meek victims. The Dornish are not blameless. What goes around, comes around., and as for the Martells...their time came."

A particularly slow crawling smile crept up on Lord Caron's face, "You have a particular turn of phrase, your Grace. What goes around, comes around..."

I matched the man's grin, "This is what I need from you, Lord Caron. Forcibly remind our Lords of this fact and slash through whatever haze of lingering pity deludes them. Remind them all of what the Dornish really are."

And while that message worked its way across the Realms after it makes the rounds in the Stormlands, I would try to push the new reality that Dornish interests and those of House Martell are no longer one and the same.

By hook or crook.

Absolute chaos reigned in the the small Hall within Maegor's Holdfast. A cacophony of loud and insisted voices clashed with thumping noises of fists on tables. Thanks to my upcoming wedding, and the tremendous tournament my brother is hosting, every single Stormlord of note was gathered in King's Landing. It was both a priceless opportunity as well as a massive headache. My Stormlords were prickly, loud, and so stubborn as to be nearly unyielding.

It didn't help that the vast majority of them didn't quite know how to deal with me. From their perspective I must look so odd. Especially considering the other Baratheon son out there. Robert was everything a Lord of Storm's End was supposed to be, in the eyes of my vassals. Martial in the extreme, generous in victory and best of all...completely disinterested in the private affairs of his men. Compared to him I'm an anomaly and I am quite well aware of it.

Of course, none of this means they don't respect me. They do, or else they would not entrust me with their sons and grandsons. And yet, it's rather clear there is a wariness which I will likely never be able to shake. It's all a touch unfair from my perspective.rely, I too have some decent military accomplishments? Does my generosity not ring across the Realms?

Apparently none of that matters as I distinctly do care quite a bit about what my Lords are up to.

In fact, I was quietly studying each of them as they shouted themselves hoarse. Lord Caron's booming voice dominated the far corner of the Hall, the Evenstar of Tarth was calling for retribution in haunted tones, and Lord Cafferen was insistent we should have set sail yesterday. My grandfather, the Lord of Estermont, was likewise occupied watching the show unfolding in front of us. Our gathering had only started and it had degenerated rapidly.

I knew who to blame.

Lord Buckler was no longer an eager supporter of mine. Not that I could blame him overmuch, but it was yet another hurdle I had to navigate. Another anchor around my neck dragging me down in the dredges. At moments like these I wish I had a fraction of Robert's magical charisma. Instead, I had to content myself with my own brand of theatrics.

I caught Renly's gaze and had him beat a stick against a makeshift gong. The little bugger was absolutely ecstatic that I included him in these proceedings. The poor lad had no idea what was going on, but since I brought little Beric Dondarrion with me...I felt I couldn't quite shame Renly by keeping him away. Besides, there was always the hope he could passively learn from the experience. It took a few moments, but soon all eyes were on me as I slowly got to my feet. The crowd of Stormlords quieted down and despite my private worries...none of them jeered at me.

"My Stormlords, I've heard your words. Now, hear mine."

I let the silence stretch for just a touch too long before I continued, "While passions run high in our people, we have a duty to carefully consider the best course of action. I will not settle for a perfunctory raid in the Step Stones." Another slightly too long silence, "Our lands have been assaulted, one of our towns has been put to the torch as has the Royal Navy base it supported. A thorough response must be made, I agree."

I slowly let me gaze wander over the crowd and let loose a fraction of the anger boiling within me, "Pirates have burned down Weeping Town to the ground! Pirates have taken the populace of that poor blighted settlement." I accentuated my tone with a loud bang on the table, "Pirates fucking took my people!"

That
got a considerably better response than I expected. A mindless roar of anger and frustration came crashing over me in a wave of sounds. Instead of quieting them down I simply screamed louder, "Not since Aegon's fucking landing have any pirates dared assault us. Us! For they knew!" The next bit I almost growled out, "They knew the Storm would come for them!"

In turn, the crowd got even louder.

I hopped on to my seat and from it jumped on the table. "Punishing the craven fucking pirates is not enough! Hunting them down and butchering them is not enough! We are the Lords of the Stormlands and our people belong to us! How dare these Essosi fucking scum come for them!"

The roaring got even more unintelligible.

Now I was screaming at the top of my lungs, "I pledge myself, before all of you! Before all my Stormlords! I will get our people back. I will retrieve our honor! And we...all of us, will remind Essos of the strength the Stormlands can rouse itself to!"

Holy shit. It's working.

As much as I loved the enthusiasm, I needed their focus. I raised my hands outwards and slowly brought them down. As if by magic the roaring of the Stormlords faded away.

When the Hall fell quiet I spoke, "It has been three centuries since King Argillac brought low the Free Cities of the Disputed Lands." I continued with a grin, "Three hundred years is a long time...for an Essosi."

I cut through the laughter and went on decidedly more grim, "Unlike my ancestor we cannot let our anger control us. This heinous insult will be answered, but we shall do so on our terms. Ours is the Fury, we ride the beast my Lords. We do not let it ride us."

Lord Caron boldly yelled, "You do not know my wife, your Grace!"

Well, fuck. I barely held on, but I desperately wanted to laugh with the others. Instead I grinned even wider, but before I could respond Lord Buckler spoke up. "When did we decide to assault the Disputed Lands, my Prince?"

Motherfucker. Why couldn't he just go along with it?
I was rather backed into a corner. I was building up steam and I wanted to ride it all the way to the end. Now I needed to explain...

"The pirates are but a cat's paw. We will strike at their paymasters, or else Lys and Tyrosh shall have us inundated with more sell-sails with impunity. We shall cut off the Serpent at it's head, my Lord Buckler."

Rather than slink back, the man doubled down.

"A fine suggestion-." Suggestion?! Was he really trying to undermine me here? Did his grief run this deep? Or was simply not inclined to place nice anymore? "-, my Prince, but surely Lys and Tyrosh would not be short sighted enough to let their hand be spotted?"

God damn it. How the fuck was I supposed to respond to this? I didn't have 'proof', but I did have common sense. Pirates simply do not behave as they have in the attack on Weeping Town. For an excruciating moment my mind was blank. I was almost at the point of bluffing when Marius stepped up to the plate. The young Herston spare, and one of my most trusted lieutenants proved his mettle when he loudly responded, "Certainly, we are facing no fools. Even if we might have cause to think so, for their folly in challenging us."

And with two sentences he had the group eating out of his. He continued, "His Grace, Prince Stannis set up a spy ring that dwarfed the one span by Varys the Spider, my Lords. That was months ago, since then..."

He looked over at me, looked down as if in shame, before spitting out, "I feel it is not my place to discuss the depths of his well of information. If anyone could deftly pick out the subtle interplay of Essosi powers, it would be our Prince."

My Grandfather spoke up next, "And should my worth still hold any meaning, I must admit that my grandson has a singular talent for gray world of information gathering." With a merry glint in his eyes he went on, "Among his other, more surprising, talents."

And suddenly the Lords laughed once again. What was that about? Either way, I was well enough pleased that my reputation was working out for me, for once. I cleared my throat and loudly spoke, "We shall not be alone in this endeavor. From the Crownlands we can count on the support of the Houses of the Narrow Sea. From the Reach we shall have the men of House Rowan, Cuy, Redwyne and Tyrell." The last few didn't go over so well, so I rapidly continued with a sharp grin. "As Warden of the South I could compel more troops, but then..." My grin grew ever wider, "Then we'd have to share to spoils!"

And that got them all back on board. They knew I took next to nothing from all the sacks I oversaw and that most of it went to the fighting men.

Behind me, and slightly off to the right, I could hear Lady Olenna tutting her disapproval. It took all I had to keep ignoring the women, even as snippets of her conversation reached me. Suspiciously, she spoke just loud enough for me to pick it up.

"Trust a Baratheon to turn a three day tournament into a two week debacle! Don't we already waste enough precious time placating the pride of young men?"

Argh!
Thankfully Mace proved less annoying when he leaned in and whispered, "Don't mind her, I think this is excellent. All the mediocre swordsmen get eliminated leaving us solely the finest men!"

I bestowed a wide smile upon him when I replied, "Precisely!" I leaned in a little closer, "And it neatly shows us who is worth recruiting away from their Lords."

My future brother in law sniggered, but before he could respond I called out to a familiar shape walking by us.

"Lord Umber!"

The Northern Lord of the Last Hearth could have been born a Stormlander. The man was wide in the shoulders, black of hair and blue of eye. Only the bear pelts adorning him, even in the sweltering heat of King's Landing, marked him out as a Northerner. The burly man had a quick smile and responded, "Prince Stannis!"

Cheeky bugger.

I smiled even wider and loudly replied, "I've put five hundred gold Dragons on you, my Lord! You best make it to the final sixteen!"

A loud and rumbling laugh was his first response. Next he bellowed out, "You honor me, my Prince, but surely you should be betting on your own men!"

Now I was the one laughing, "Hah! I've put thrice that on Ser Balon Swann!"

Renly enthusiastically joined in, "Ser Balon is the best!"

Only to be followed by little Garth Tyrell, "Nuhuh! Uncle Garth is the best!"

Which Renly seemed to take as a mortal insult before Ser Balon quieted him down with a soft pat on the head. When he seemed to get ready to disregard that I had to add one of my own.

"Hey!"

Tiredly I said, "Come on, Renly, be polite." Just as Mace did the same, "Do behave, Garth."

The little bugger just stared at me morosly before quietly, almost inadaubily whispering his apology. The depths of my littlest brother's rage against the Tyrells occasionally still shook me. While I was more than pleased at how Renly was shaping up, I felt more than a little bit queasy at his stubbornness. Perhaps I should have a lengthy talk with him about it.

Lord Umber wandered off after a fairly short and inane conversation, but I didn't mind. I was simply establishing communication with him. I'd already decided that Stark, Manderly and Umber were going to be the Houses I'd deal most with in the North. The Lord of the Last Heart was already reasonably well inclined towards me, especially after he found out about my shipments of food and steel to the Night's Watch, but better ties were always useful.

Mace quietly whispered, "Is there anything I should know about him?""

Should I tell him?

I shrugged and replied, "Lord Umber is one of the finest swordsmen around and despite his size...people still underestimate him as a Northern savage." I smiled at Mace, "He'll do wonderful in the rankings."

Renly looked up at me and asked, "Who do you think will win?"

Hmm. I winked at the little man and said, "I can't quite say that, but I do like to think I can guess who will be certain to appear in the final sixteen."

This got Balon's attention, "My Prince?"

Another smile, this time for Balon.

"I have every faith in you to represent the Stormlands, but we're not the only ones to produce excellent swordsmen. From the Vale I imagine Ser Mandon Moore will make an excellent showing. The North will be taken by Lord Umber, the Westerlands will either present Lord Brax or Crakehall. Ser Brynden Tully will almost certainly push through as well, and the rest..."

I shrugged again, "Is up for grabs."

Lady Olenna chimed in, "No insight into the Reach, your Grace?"

I only had a bland smile for her, "I imagine they'll perform well in the lists, but I'm afraid that doesn't quite hold my attention. Us Stormlanders like the sword better."

Not really, but I wasn't in the mood to be dicked around. The rest of the trip to our elevated seats around the Tournament Grounds went by without much trouble. Matches played out in front of us, usually the favorites one, but occasionally upsets occurred. Such as when a young, and relatively unknown, knight of House Fossoway managed to completely dismantle Lord Jeor Mormont.

Of course, the latter wasn't using his Valyrian sword, but still...

On my left Janna was still being annoyingly quiet. We'd talked through Renly's little intervention, and I sincerely hoped that nonsense was over, but there was still some lingering awkwardness. Hopefully spending a few days together before the wedding would settle things down. For now, maybe some light conversation. Unfortunately, I was distracted by the Lannister clan taking their seats in the rows just in front of us. Mace, annoyingly enough, chose to poke their golden haired heir after the pleasantries were done.

"Ser Jaime, I could have sworn you would have participated in this glorious event!"

With his teeth almost audibly grinding Jaime responded, "Perhaps next time, my Lord Tyrell. For now, I am content to watch."

Well, he clearly wasn't. I vaguely expected Cersei to say something to me, but when she remained aloof I had to actively remind myself that a little distance between us was probably for the best. Feeling slighted that my verbal sparring buddy wasn't up to the task probably wasn't a good idea.

Jaime on the other hand did focus on me, "Prince Stannis-." He continued with a simpering smile, "Might we see you perform?"

Asshole.

I shrugged at the golden haired shit and replied, "Perhaps once my brother has a few spare heirs."

Lady Olenna scoffed, but I could hear her whisper, "Hmm, a fair share of prudence. How droll."

Once again I resolutely ignored her.

Renly however parroted my earlier words with an arrogant upwards tilt of his chin, "And it simply never pays to share with the world just how good my Princely brother is at dealing death!"

I half had to resist the urge to abruptly face-palm or to pick Renly up and cheer him up. Lady Olenna snorted indelicately, Lord Tywin looked on vaguely approvingly and Cersei glanced towards us before abruptly turning back.

Did her gaze linger on Janna? Did Janna frown at her? Did Cersei fucking dodge a confrontation??

What the fuck happened there?

Despite my curiosity I let it lie and enjoyed the demonstrations of martial valor. Everything mostly progressed as expected, until Ser Fossoway won his final bout of the day. The Green Apple bowed to the audience seemed pleased as peaches with his inclusion in the final thirty two. Robert was getting ready to loudly proclaim his admiration for the feat when the lad suddenly walked towards me.

What?

Why would he break protocol like this?

All I could do was sit and wait until I grew more and more certain something horrifying was about to happen. Call it an instinct, a vague awareness something was off or even just plain paranoia. I didn't like it when things didn't progress as expected. When the Fossoway knight reached us, he uncovered his helmet and let it drop to his feet. The man was intently staring at me, no not at me...at Janna, and the crowd...fell silent.

Completely fucking silent.

What??

And then he spoke. And as he spoke...I grew angry. And horrified.

What the fuck is he doing? Is this really fucking happening?

I was faintly aware of Mace snapping the armrest of his chair in his death grip as splinters flew all around. I vaguely noticed Janna latching her hand onto her mouth after a loud gasp. I was rather disquieted by Olenna's whispers of death and destruction behind me. I was marginally pleased with the way Janna kept shaking her head back and forth. God only knows what Robert was doing. My attention didn't reach that far. I was many things, I felt many things and I was fucking frozen. I knew I should have derided him. I knew I should have insulted him until he walked off the field in shame. There were a hundred different things I could or should have done. Thousands of scenario's flashed through my mind, but all of them lead to the same end.

This Reach-cunt needs to die, but all I could think of was to slowly rise and loudly scream, "Fetch my fucking armor!" I looked down at my future brother in law, "Mace...do you require this man to live?"

Growling with a menace that was entirely out of place on him he said, "Would that you could kill the fool twice." A dangerous glint appeared in his eyes, "Do not play with him, just end it."

Still seething he continued, "Perhaps not that quickly."

For once, Mace and I were entirely on the page. Later, much later, I'd wonder if I lost my mind or if this was truly happening and I did - in fact - degenerate into a local that flies off the handle when his honor is challenged. In that moment though...all I knew was that Fossoway needed to die.

And I was the one to do it.

AN:
New chapter, yeey! It's a bit unpolished, so please...all the feedback you can muster!

So, can SI actually fight? I remember he spent his meetings with Robert essentially dodging/ tiring him out. That might work here, since Fossoway just went through a freaking tourney, but that is a fairly good sized stain on his martial honor.

Assuming no crossbows allowed.

So, can SI actually fight? I remember he spent his meetings with Robert essentially dodging/ tiring him out. That might work here, since Fossoway just went through a freaking tourney, but that is a fairly good sized stain on his martial honor.

Assuming no crossbows allowed.
I assume along with Stannis's memories, he at least has his muscle memory. Plus he's survived Robert's warhammer during sparring which we all know Roberts not the kind to hold back in.

After reading this, I had a thought that Renly really did see Janna kiss Fossowary, or at least Fossowary kiss Janna. If so, maybe Cersei convinced him to recant his testimony as a way of getting Janna to owe her a favor? That would explain why Fossowary would feel bold enough to presumably proclaim his love to Janna, why she is flipping out like that rather than being pissed off, and kind of explains why Cersei was staring at Janna.

Granted, some of the details seem a bit off, as Renly seemed genuinely remorseful from what I remember of that chapter, and if Janna did owe Cersei a favor, it would probably be Janna looking away, not Cersei.

Thinking about it, I'm more leaning to Cersei, feeling slighted that Janna was chosen over her, emboldened Fossowary to proclaim his love. Cersei might have heard the rumors of Fossowary and Janna kissing, noticed the same signs of affection that Renly had, and talked him up about how love conquers all or how Janna would be unhappy in her marriage.

Her plan might be that once talked up, Fossowary would proclaim his love in the worst way possible, Stannis would kill him, and, caught up in suspicion, might even dissolve his engagement. Even if he didn't, the whole realm is probably suspicious of Janna's relationship with him, something that may cause Stannis to dissolve the relationship anyways as a pragmatic measure (the whole realm will see Stannis as the guy who married a woman who cuckolded him) or will at least poison the relationship as that suspicion will always be at the back of Stannis' mind. Then, in sweeps Cersei, the beautiful friend that Stannis foolishly overlooked.

Last edited:
Only to be followed by little Garth Tyrell, "Nuhuh! Uncle Garth is the best!"

Which Renly seemed to take as a mortal insult before Ser Balon quieted him down with a soft pat on the head. When he seemed to get ready to disregard that I had to add one of my own.

"Hey!"

Tiredly I said, "Come on, Renly, be polite." Just as Mace did the same, "Do behave, Garth."
This should be Garlen not Garth.
Lord Caron shrugged and replied, "A worthy cause, I'm sure. I would go as far as to say that Iwant them out of Dorne, but I fear it might not be that simple. We're at peace and our King Stag pledged their safety. They are untouchable and you shall have to forgive me when I say I do not foresee upsetting the Demon of the Trident. Unless he might prove willing to look askance on our behalf?"
This should have a space.

So I like I said over at SB next chapter would be great for an interlude to see what what the hell Fossowary said and watch Stannis smash on Fossowary.

Is it bad that I really want to see the next scene from Robert's point of view, more so than Stannis'? With Jon Aaron looking horrified at how bloodthirsty and unhinged Stannis is acting, and Lyanna having a traumatic flashback at his side?

Then, in sweeps Cersei, the beautiful friend that Stannis foolishly overlooked.

Your explanation sounds disturbingly like Cersei's style when she is not in a position of power. It involves; relying on the fact that she is the most desirable woman ever, 'subtle' emotional manipulation of a person which really only seems to point the catspaw in the right direction, also doesn't appear to have any contingencies other than deniability.

Also enacting this plan would require Cersei ignoring that Stannis is not marrying Janna because he likes her but because it is the price to bring the hundred thousand reach swords onboard.

That said I think this could go either way. That is this could be Fossoway getting drunk on lust and being really stupid, or Fossoway being really stupid and encouraged by our local crazy Lannister.

Incidentally Sir Rabbity, I kind of liked how you didn't give us the dialogue. This is really showing Stabby's decent into paranoia while also giving us his emotions. Looking back we can really see Stannis changing over these updates. It really feels like you are laying the foundations for future conflict after the reforms and alliances are well in hand and the characters need new problems.

Not giving us the dialogue immerses us in Stannis and shows us the flawed prospective he has of these events. As a person born in the modern world it is really easy to get dragged along through the building changes your insert goes through. Of course breaking up the paranoia with Interludes from other characters tells the reader how warped Stannis' perspective is.

Also I assume that switching your style up and trying new things makes this story more interesting for you as a writer.

Apologies for any grammatical errors or unclear wording. It's 2am over here and I'm just vomiting my ideas out into the Internet. If there are any serious problems I'll go back and edit this tomorrow.

Back