Nuka-Girl: The Lone Teleporter (Or: "That time Taylor found herself in the Fallout Universe").

So...yea. Go to the book store, and get some of the books made for kids. We make lots of 'for kids' books that have lots of low level information that would be amazing to uplift a tech base.

Hell, there are even books written specifically in ways to rebuild from a tech collapse. An example.
"The crucial chemistry behind photography is simple enough: certain compounds of silver darken in sunlight and so can be employed to record a black-and-white image. The trick is to create a soluble form of silver that can be spread evenly in a thin film, but then convert it into an insoluble salt that sticks on the outside surface of your photographic medium and doesn't get washed away again.

First, coat a sheet of paper with egg whites containing some dissolved salt, and allow it to dry. Now dissolve some silver in nitric acid, which will oxidize the metal to soluble silver nitrate, and spread the solution over your prepared paper. The sodium chloride will react to create silver chloride, which is both light-sensitive and insoluble, and the egg albumin will prevent the photographic emulsion from soaking into the paper fibers. If you scavenge in the post-apocalyptic world, a single solid-silver teaspoon will contain enough of the pure element to produce over 1,500 photographic prints."

Fallout has some amazing mad science tech. But they lost so much knowledge of normal basic things....

Last edited:
Canon omake: What's happening with the Nuka-world ghouls back home.
A/N: Back on Nora's homeworld, things happened while Nora's group was away. Those are the stories of the random characters back on Fallout Earth.

======================================================

--Nuka-world--

"........... so there we have it. We won't be able to revert you back to your original self in that body, not with the way we are right now. But, we can clone a new 'Born ghoul' body and do a mind transfer. Are you alright with that?" Oswald the outrageous was explaining things to his girlfriend, Rachel Watkins.

Rachel mulled this over. She couldn't speak so well anymore, as the portion of the brain that handled her language and speaking skills was degrading. This was made all the more worse that she still had plenty of lucid days when she could think and remember things perfectly okay, she just didn't have the words to be able to describe things or describe what she was feeling.

That was truly the worst hell to go through… to be fully aware of what was happening to your body, yet unable to do anything about it. There were times when she felt like she was trapped in a stranger's body… watching helplessly in the background while this stranger started to snarl and gibber at things, and do things out of its own volition while Rachel was unable to do anything to stop it.

On the good days when she was able to gain full control of herself and was able to speak okay, she had considered killing herself for this reason alone. But then she would think of how this would affect Oswald and little Sam, and all the others who were still working so hard on a cure. The last thing she wanted to do was demoralize them.

But this? This seemed perfect… almost too good to be true. It was the ultimate compromise she had been wishing for all along. The old Rachel Watkins would die, free of the feral ghoul disease but a new part of her would get to live on, and thus Oswald and little Sam wouldn't feel like they lost somebody dear to them.

This new Rachel Watkins would have all of her memories, all her feelings, etc. And so she'd be able to help carry on the work in helping cure the feral ghouls.

Rachel had always believed that clones and the like weren't…. Well, real people. It was due to her Christian upbringing, which taught her that science alone couldn't duplicate the human soul so easily, that only god and nature could naturally do something like that. Admittedly she had lost faith a long time ago because what kind of loving good God would allow the bombs to happen? But even so, that cultural bias was hard to shake even after one stopped being a practicing Christian.

But…. a part of her couldn't help but wonder. If she left behind some of herself, didn't that mean that a part of her soul got left behind too? Would this mean both Rachels were the real genuine thing? It looked as if she was about to find out.

She merely nodded in agreement after thinking this over, causing Oswald to grin widely. "Great! I know this is just a stopgap measure until we find a true cure that would work on the original bodies, but it's better than nothing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that, things went on in the background while Rachel faded in and out of consciousness. When she finally came back to herself, having one of her lucid moments, she found herself strapped to a standing gurney that had her stand up forcibly, while something was on her head.

And in front of her, was a half-Japanese-looking woman who was strapping the thing to her head.

It was then that she noticed that Rachel was awake. "Ah, you're awake. Or rather, should I say, lucid?"

"Ho' are….ye?" Rachel wanted to ask who she was, but her speech came out all garbled much to her frustration.

The woman seemed to understand her question anyhow, and replied, "I'm Dr.Amari. I'm working with your boyfriend and the others to study this feral ghoul problem. And I'm very interested to see how you'd hold up in a new body, or whenever there would be any problems psychologically."

"Nalty?" She meant to ask about Dr.Amari's specialty, but couldn't even say it right. ARGH!

Amazingly enough, the woman seemed to be a mind-reader once again, as she replied, "My specialty's memory manipulation, and occasionally transference. Been doing a lot of that last part a lot more than I thought I'd be doing nowadays. I used to live mostly in Goodneighbor, doing my best to help the ghouls there retain their memories as much as they could. And then Oswald came, wanting to study my methods and how to do it himself. The rest is history. Is that all you wanted to know?"

Rachel blinked at that. Huh. that hadn't been what she had expected at all. She had thought maybe Oswald had found some random scientist and then had to bribe her a lot of money before she would even consider working with ghouls, considering how most humans were highly prejudiced against ghouls.

"Hy work ith ghools?" Rachel asked, happy that she hadn't managed to mangle ALL the words that time.

Dr. Amari scoffed. She then turned away once she had ensured that the thing on Rachel's head was secure and was going to work.

"You think ghouls are the only ones with memory problems? That there aren't regular people out there, suffering from mental disorders, who find their old self slipping away only to be replaced by a stranger who doesn't remember that they have family, friends?" Dr. Amari muttered.

Dr. Amari moved over to a computer and then closed her eyes as she recalled a memory that was clearly painful to her. "it skips a few generations occasionally, but…. my mom, she wasn't so lucky. She got a really bad case of it. I hear they used to call it Familial Alzheimer's disease back in the old days before the bombs dropped. It was a special type of Alzheimer's that was genetically passed down from generation to generation. Normally, you only get it in old age… but in my family that wasn't the case. My mother started getting it when I was really young. By the time I was a teenager, she couldn't remember that she had a family or that she gave birth to a daughter. Treated me like a total stranger most of the time. Honestly, it made me terrified that I was going to become like that one day."

Rachel couldn't help but feel both horrified and sympathetic at that.

"surrey." She mumbled and then groaned. That sounded more like a name for something than expressing sympathies.

Dr. Amari turned to face Rachel once again after she was done typing up things on the computers and looking at the results of the brain scans she was doing. She smiled sympathetically then. "The feral process in ghouls tends to go differently in each case. For some, they completely forget all the potty training they had growing up if you get my drift. Others lose the inability to read faces. In your case, the language center of your brain is the first to go, but the rest of you is very much aware. That must be so frustrating, not being able to express yourself that well."

Dr. Amari then grinned. "But hey, you're going to put that all behind you. Oswald's coming, and tomorrow you'll be in a brand-new body. Are you looking forward to it? Poor Oswald's so nervous."

Rachel tried to smile, but it came out more like a grimace. "Voous tooool."

"You too, huh? Well, you shouldn't worry too much." Dr. Amari replied as she pulled out a syringe full of a strange liquid. "This is to help you sleep. A patient should always be well-rested and calm when undergoing an operation."

Afterward, Rachel passed out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time she woke up, she felt… different. And in a good way. She was even wearing different clothes, one that covered up her modesty more than the hospital one she had been wearing did.

"She's waking up!" Oswald's excited voice rang out.

"Hold on, let me help you up. How do you feel? How many fingers am I holding up?" Dr. Amari asked as she rushed over to help Rachel Watkins get off the… bed she had been sleeping on all this time.

"Fine. and you're holding up two fingers." Rachel said without thinking, and then she gasped happily. Not only was she extremely lucid, but she could speak normally again.

As she did a mental assessment of her own health, she noted that she actually felt like herself… she hadn't felt completely herself for a long time now, but now that she was in a whole new body she felt whole once again. Truthfully… she didn't feel like a soulless clone? She still felt strongly that she was Rachel Watkins, a scientist-slash-actress who worked at Nukaworld before the bomb dropped and was still the girlfriend of Oswald the Outrageous. Well, that was more of her ex-Christian beliefs that got shattered completely.

Oswald was beaming from ear to ear, but he was also looking at her oddly.

"Oswald. Why are you looking at me like that?" Rachel wondered out loud.

Oswald chucked. "Go look in a mirror. You'll see that you regained your old looks as well."

Dr. Darren McDermot was kind enough to bring up a large full-body mirror on wheels into the room, and Rachel walked over to it… only to gasp when she saw an old face she thought she'd never see again.

Pre-war, Rachel had been a fairly attractive-looking blonde girl with a ridiculously large forehead the only thing detracting away from her beauty. Or so she had thought back then because she had always been self-conscious about her forehead, and often wore her hair with bangs to cover it up.

200 years later though? Now even that forehead of hers, which didn't look so quite big anymore now that she was no longer insecure about her looks, looked beautiful to her. It was like seeing an old beloved friend again. Everything she had lost as a ghoul… all of it was back!

Even her blond hair, which was still at the peach fuzz stage while growing out of her head. That part made sense, considering that this was technically a newly born body.

The only thing that was different was….

"Why the hell do I have glowing eyes?" Rachel demanded to know. She'd know if she ever had glowing blue eyes in the past! Her eyes had been a normal blue color before, and now it looked to be the same shade of a Nuka Quantum drink, glow and all!

Dr. Hein grimaced. "Well… that part is my fault. We were going through the research papers Nora gave us from this think-tank place in Virginia and they mentioned needing some special serum to help the born ghoul body stay stable but it didn't say what the serum was, other than needing special isotopes for it. So we thought to use Nuka-cola Quantum as a replacement in place of that. Well, we might've overdone it this time, because if you stand in a dark room, you might find that your blood veins are visible in that color as well?"

Oswald chucked. "In other words… you're not just a 'Born ghoul' now, you're a glowing one also. Now we match."

Rachel couldn't help it. She just started laughing at the wonderful absurdness of it all.

Dr. McDermot then said to Dr. Hein, "We definitely need to tone the Quantum drink dosage down if we want our born ghouls to be able to pass for humans. And especially if they want to have children in the future. With this much radiation between the two of them, they might not be able to have children naturally. Even if the baby ends up being a pure born ghoul."

Dr. Hein nodded, although his expression grew thoughtful at the mention of children. "It might be an interesting challenge though, finding a way for people to be able to conceive and safely carry fetuses even in high-radiation areas… or allowing glowing ones to have children together."

"W-what??" Oswald suddenly felt flustered at the mention of children. As a ghoul, he had given up on children a long time ago, especially so because he had been one of the unfortunate ghouls who didn't get to keep their… procreating equipment… when he turned all those years ago. To be confronted with the fact that children were now a possibility again for him and his girlfriend was way too much.

Rachel walked back over to Oswald and then wrapped her arms around his waist in an attempt to calm him down. She then told the two ghoul scientists, "Let's not put the cart ahead of the horse, there. I'd rather that we find a way to help ALL the ghouls here first before we even think of children. Only when everyone else's back to normal will Oswald and I even discuss whenever we want children or not. Right?"

At the last part, she looked over at Oswald, who was looking back at Rachel while she made that declaration.

Oswald calmed down considerably at this. He then grinned widely. "Right. We've got all the time in the world for that…. And meanwhile, our friends need our help."

It'd give him time to wrap his head around the fact that having kids was a possibility again. And like Rachel said, did they even want children? Little Sam, who they had effectively adopted in all but in name, was already enough of a handful at times. Gosh… it still felt so odd, but it was nice to have the option again.

Dr. Amari then said, "If you all don't mind, I'd like to put Rachel through a series of tests to ensure that none of her memories degraded while I was transferring her into a new body. After all, if we're going to eventually do this for all the ghouls I'd like for the process to be perfected completely without any possible errors."

Rachel perked up at this. "That's right. I'd also like to learn more about this process. It's so strange… I feel like I'm still the same person, just in a new body?"

Dr. Amari gestured for Rachel to follow her towards a nearby hospital room where Rachel would undergo testing, and then started explaining some of the steps that were required to make Rachel's new body in-depth, while Rachel walked alongside her and listened.

"It depends on how severe the case is. Normally we'd pump the brain with a lot of the homemade chemicals I've made in the past to help dredge up memories that would otherwise be lost. This can take weeks normally, but thankfully, your case wasn't too severe and we were able to do this step in mere days." Dr. Amari started explaining.

Rachel was a chemist, so she couldn't help but ask, "I've never heard of something that could help revive memories. What did you make the chemicals with?"

"Well, first I started with a base of both Prazosin and Serotonin, then I mixed in…." the rest of Dr. Amari's comment faded away as they become too far away for the rest of the male ghouls to overhear.

Oswald chuckled. He was so elated right now, but at the same time, things felt pretty surreal for him. It was so strange to see Rachel's old pre-war face looking back at him now and then, considering that he had gotten used to the idea that they'd all be ugly ghouls forever.

Maybe he should do the same eventually once they had gotten done with the rest of the ghouls? Truthfully, he couldn't see Rachel willingly staying with him anymore now that she had her pretty face back. Why would she want somebody with an ugly mug like his? Something to ponder.

You know for the longest time I had this strange impression that Roger Maxson was a prick like Arthur and his ilk. Then I played Fallout 76 and listened to many holotapes between him and Taggerdy...

Ironically the conversation between them painted the Hero Taggerdy as a dyed in the Wool Brotherhood of Steel member that fans of Fallout know, whereas Roger came across as Elder Lyon.

Namely he wanted to take dangerous tech like FEV, have Scribes study it to try and pry out something beneficial, and use whatever they figure out to help restore civilization and protect the people from things like FEV and Nukes...

Weird isn't it?

You know for the longest time I had this strange impression that Roger Maxson was a prick like Arthur and his ilk. Then I played Fallout 76 and listened to many holotapes between him and Taggerdy...

Ironically the conversation between them painted the Hero Taggerdy as a dyed in the Wool Brotherhood of Steel member that fans of Fallout know, whereas Roger came across as Elder Lyon.

Namely he wanted to take dangerous tech like FEV, have Scribes study it to try and pry out something beneficial, and use whatever they figure out to help restore civilization and protect the people from things like FEV and Nukes...

Weird isn't it?

It just shows you how each person can bend an ideology to their own agendas and purposes, isn't it? And you have to keep in mind that Arthur was effectively brainwashed by the outcasts faction, as well... explaining why he was such an asshole. Had Arthur not been brainwashed by the outcasts to become their puppet king, I'm sure he would have been more like his ancestor Roger Maxson.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will have the option to leave the glowing in? Or control it?

Being able to be your own Lamp or nightlight could come in handy…

Also, how strong is ghoul regeneration?
Think one of the previous games mentioned limb reattaching being possible

I wonder if they will have the option to leave the glowing in? Or control it?

Being able to be your own Lamp or nightlight could come in handy…
I'd imagine if anything, it's likely to be a function that can be activated by sufficient exposure to a source of radiation once they get the process refined further. I suspect having what's effectively a built-in dosimeter that doubles as an illumination source would be considered a feature and not a bug by the researchers.

Last edited:
Reading more into the Synths Generation 3 shows not artificial wombs like I thought, but an assembly stand with artificial skeleton, vats of cloned muscle, and organs, and even attaching limbs that were made separately. Just this inhuman assembly line where they layer by layer make a clone, how they change the looks and gender from Shaun's is through the FEV virus.

They also get implants like the one in the head that can't be removed without killing them, they from the article don't need to sleep, eat, or worry about disease. They are basically what the Enclave/US Government wanted from the FEV in the first place, immune to disease, radiation, and apparently imaging. That's right, they are manufactured clones that are mutated in a controlled manner by the Institute, that as a side effect have the combined benefits of ghouls and Super Mutants.

So innocent Super Soldiers forced to wear masks to hide how human they look to the rest of the Institute, they have all the emotional depth of anyone else, and really deserve to have their own lives. Many of them are have the empathic ability that the Institute mostly lacks.

Something Oxhorn mentioned in his video about Fallout 4 Brotherhood of Steel, they never mentioned the name of Rivet City, that people lived there, and just said they "Salvaged" the Engine from a Broken Aircraft Carrier. The fact that in-game they expect farmers to turn over their crops as a "donation" for their safety, well I find myself dreading what their definition of salvaging was...

Like in game it seems to imply that the most important part of it was the engine, no mention of people, and that implies bad things for said people. Either being driven out or worse, personally I prefer this over thinking they tore apart Rivet City and it's people for it's trip to the Commonwealth...

Chilling how such a bland sentence implies that the people of Rivet City were non-entities, like Raiders or bugs that were in their way, and they might in fact no longer exists....

I just spent all of my considerable free time over the last 84 hours, or 3 and a half days, reading this. This should tell you that I found it amazing.

Welp! I suppose it is time for me to go and actually do the things I was actually supposed to do over that time. I will be looking forward to seeing more of this story.

May I just say that it would be amazing to see either an omake or a scene from Rachel Lindt's point of view of a random meeting between her taking her dogs for a walk and Taylor doing the same with Gracie.

Nukagirl 107-- New Social Life At A New High School
Turns out that the PRT's suggestion worked-- they all indeed did finally leave Taylor and Danny alone and they could finally return to their house in peace once Taylor had given that interview.

She had to answer a few awkward questions from Danny afterward about what she had claimed happened between herself and Emma. But, once he understood what Taylor had tried to do on that TV show he found it funny.

He seemed to think that it'd eventually backfire on Taylor, but Taylor couldn't see how it could. Unlike some other people, she wasn't afraid of being seen as gay because there was nothing wrong with being gay. Sure, the Nazis might attack her but she didn't care what the Nazis thought of her. They could all go die for all she cared.

Emma, on the other hand, Taylor happened to know that Emma placed importance on how others saw her. Emma constantly went out of her way to look good in front of others as much as possible. And thus would've been pissed off as hell at Taylor's suggestion that she was nothing but a crazy, bitter ex-girlfriend who couldn't move on when Taylor did. It would drive her up the wall because it'd be hard to disprove. Mainly because Taylor had used most of the truth than she had lied there. Emma couldn't very well say "actually only that part was true while the rest was lies." And if she denied that any of it was true, but others out there proved some parts to be true then people would believe Taylor over Emma.
And hey, it was the next best thing to giving Emma a cunt-punt and punching her in the face as she had occasionally fantasized about. This was probably far more civilized than actually committing violent acts.

Hence why this kind of revenge seemed logical and clever. Again, how could this backfire on her??

At any rate, it was nice to be home again. And, she was starting at Arcadia very soon after acing most of their tests and quizzes. There were a few subjects she had failed horribly at, but that wasn't too surprising in hindsight considering that the terrible trio had been so busy tormenting her in those classes that she hadn't had time to pay attention. Not to mention that certain teachers, such as Mr.Gladys, were just plain terrible at their jobs.

Amazingly enough, the person in charge of testing her seemed very understanding of this fact when they asked her what about those subjects she didn't understand, and Taylor had to explain why she had problems with those subjects.

Of course, everyone in Brockton Bay seemed to know all about her bullying situation by now, so of course, they would find this answer acceptable.

Taylor would need a lot of catch-up tutoring after school each week to finally catch up with other students, but otherwise, she was accepted into the school! Woot.

And, turns out that there was also a side tutoring program designed for middle-schoolers that Vista was part of, so it wasn't too far-fetched for Shaun to get into Arcadia himself when Nora asked about that.

It was part of Arcadia's efforts to mainstream younger students who wanted to graduate from middle school into junior high sooner. The cynics said this was probably also a way to cover up for any young ward who were too young to reach high school giving them a plausible excuse for why they could be going to Arcadia without getting outed since the program meant that dozens of exceptional middle schoolers could get to skip grades this way.

Like Taylor, Shaun had to take several tests to ensure that he had the aptitude for the program. He managed to pass almost everything with flying colors save for the segment on history, but that was more forgiven by the fact that he was from an alternate Earth.

The teachers were amazed by the fact that Shaun seemed to have a college-level understanding of engineering, science, and mathematics even if his knowledge of world history, art, and a few other things were abysmally low. Even a third-grader knew more about world history than Shaun did.

Afterward, Shaun had confessed to Taylor that history and other things like art had been the only thing he hadn't been taught at all when he "grew up" in the Institute unless it related to the Institute in some way. It had been one of the many things that the Institute had deemed unimportant for children to know. He couldn't help but wonder if history and art were that important?

From what Taylor had learned of the Institute thus far, it wasn't surprising at all.

They certainly didn't seem the type to teach things like entrepreneurship, art or poetry, etc. Why teach kids how to run a business and other things that required them to use their brain creatively when they weren't ever going to leave their underground home? They were going to be slotted into the jobs they were required for, and not given the freedom to choose the jobs they loved. For anything else they needed, they had robots or synths to do the task.

Not to mention that too much creative thinking could lead people to question the natural order of things, and the Institute couldn't have that now could they? It was effectively an underground cult that used science to bend everyone else to their wills.

At any rate, the two of them were going to school now while the adults did their own thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---Nora---

She had been in what seemed like endless meetings and discussions for weeks now. Half of the discussion had been questions as to what equated value in terms of currency, etc. They needed this question answered because of reasons.

They had even brought in a specialist who went by Kurt, just like Danny's friend, who had done the math. He had even created an online calculator that would convert dollars into bottle caps and vice versa in terms of value, just because he could. That, and he kept on getting tired of all the questions and decided that everyone else should get to calculate that on their own.

Bottlecaps didn't have much value here, so 217 bottle caps equaled one dollar here. Considering that the most expensive weapons could cost up to 20,000 bottle caps, that was… interesting? So, 50 to 100 dollars per weapon, and 1000 dollars per power armor, if they had planned to exchange goods using bottle caps. Which they hadn't at all but it still helped set up the foundation for what both parties would see as a fair trade.

This meant that they would have to trade 50 to 100 dollars worth of seeds or any animals worth that much over to Nora before she'd send them the stuff. Honestly, that sounded okay to Nora so she had agreed with that. Any lower than that and she might've felt ripped off maybe.

Although she did feel a little bit like a stereotypical middle-eastern man living in Africa right now. "I demand seven goats and 1 camel for this and that if I am to give them up to you." Heh.

The other part of the discussions had been discussing where Nora could build her teleporter, as the higher-ups in charge of Earth Bet's America hadn't wanted her teleporter anywhere close to civilian areas, or near other vitally important areas.

Nora could respect that, and she pretty much approved of them thinking so far ahead in case the relationship between Earth Bet and Earth Gimel became sour. This showed her that she wasn't dealing with idiots, etc.

But, she had to admit that the discussions regarding that had been a pain in the ass. Just when she thought they finally got approval for a building site, they'd find something wrong with it and then change their minds. Then the debate would renew itself, as they tried to figure out where the teleporter would be best located.

They even argued about which city would be best to put it in, before finally agreeing that maybe Brockton Bay would be the best city for it, after all, considering that's where the historic first contact was made. But they had the caveat that the new teleporter was going to be miles outside the city, but not so far away that it would be a long drive or walk between the teleporter site and Brockton Bay.

This way should a war break out between the two worlds, the first teleporter site would be easily contained and secured. They would talk about building other teleporter sites elsewhere in the future if this exchange turned out successfully and the relationship between the two Earths was stable long enough.

They finally agreed on having it be built at an abandoned air force base miles away outside of Brockton Bay, which had pretty much become useless because it could only house the smaller military airplanes that they used to have in the '40s to '50s instead of the massive airplanes the military all used nowadays. It was now an airplane graveyard with dozens of abandoned airplanes that Nora could use for building scrap.

Taylor had been surprised to discover that Brockton Bay not only had a ship graveyard but an airplane one too although the ancient airport wasn't close enough to Brockton Bay to qualify as being part of the city the same way the ship graveyard was.

During this time Nora had also unlocked more different building styles by browsing sites on a much larger tablet, which made it easier for her to look through blueprints and house plans.

As a result, she was able to unlock everything from log cabin homes to bungalow-style homes like the one Taylor Hebert lived in. Well, Taylor's home seemed to be a mixture of Bungalow style and Cape-cod style houses like every other house in her neighborhood, although hers leaned towards more Bungalow style than Cape cod. As were typical of half the northeast coast homes in the New England states in this world.

She also unlocked more styles that were typically found in larger buildings like skyscrapers, although Nora had to admit that she wasn't a big fan of some of the more bizarre designs that the postmodernism architecture-styled ones had. The idea of sustainable architecture was new to her though and interested her greatly. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of workable blueprints and ground plans for that as it was still an idea in progress in this world, as it were. A pity at that. She did manage to snag a few buildings in that category, though.

She found out something weird about her power at this point though… namely, that if she ended up unlocking so many styles then her power would kind of blend some of the styles together if they were similar enough and put them all in the same category to keep everything streamlined.
For example, Classical Rome/Greek buildings and Neoclassical buildings got lumped together into the same category, because they were similar visually even though they used different construction methods. Likewise, Brutalist, Modern, and post-modern buildings got lumped together under concrete buildings mainly because they tended to be boxy buildings that used, you guessed it, concrete in both their building material and as their facade.

Which kind of made sense, she supposed, and it did keep her mental "building menu" neat and tidy to have everything categorized and blended like that. Some of the style blends came up with weird results, though, like when her power blended together some of the vault styles with art deco. It felt like her sense of aesthetics which had been influenced by living in pre-war 2077 was now shaping what the Art Deco style looked like.

On the flip side, she was now getting ideas for new apartment buildings back home in her homeworld. Maybe she'd build one in Goodneighbor just because she had noticed that while they had a hotel there also wasn't much in the way of permanent homes for the citizens there unless you counted the warehouses and some of the metal shanty houses that didn't even have proper walls on all sides. she'd name the apartment building Neon Flats because it was going to have a lot of neon lighting.

She might've built that closer to Diamond City, but somehow she felt that the Neon Flats apartment building would fit Good Neighbor's aesthetic far better. Besides, Diamond City shouldn't get all the good stuff and she was sure that Hancock would agree with her. She got the feeling that he hadn't completely forgiven Diamond City yet for what they did to the ghouls who hadn't wanted to leave, even if the mayor at the time was a synth. They all had gone with what the Mayor wanted without protest, and "I was only following orders" made for a weak excuse.

She stopped her plans for all the buildings she was going to make once she noticed that the van transporting her was slowing down, and seemed to be pulling into the said abandoned airplane lot.

Looks like it was time for her to build a teleporter-slash-building on Earth Bet now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--Taylor--

Going to Arcadia was kind of surreal. After spending time in both Winslow AND the nuclear wasteland on Nora's homeworld, the school felt…TOO CLEAN, for lack of a better descriptor.

There wasn't even any graffiti, for Pete's sake! There were no signs of age or damage like with her own home or Winslow high school, which to her showed that something was lived-in and in the case of her own home, well-loved. There were times when the place just didn't…. Feel real?

It put Shaun on edge at first too, as the building apparently reminded him too much of the Institute where he had lived all his life until Nora got him out of there. Normally Shaun wouldn't have minded too much as he did think of the institute as home until recently. But, it seemed that he was now remembering all sorts of things about the Institute that now seemed dysfunctional in hindsight the more the boy thought about them, and so now Shaun's fond memories of the Institute were tainted.

Taylor couldn't blame the boy though. It was hard to go from having fond memories of an underground home to realizing that the people there constantly tampered with your memories all the time and thus weren't the kindly uncles and aunts you thought they were. It left you second-guessing everything and made you realize that you had probably been abused by them in some fashion and just didn't remember it. Or maybe not, considering that they did seem to value Shaun judging by what Nora had told her, but it was that kind of uncertainty that got to you.

But anyways, It seemed that the people working at Arcadia were nothing like the people who lived and worked in the Institute, so Shaun was able to slowly relax and start to enjoy himself over the week that both Taylor and Shaun went there. He was even starting to enjoy learning in a few of the classes as they hadn't been taught to him before at the Institute. But part of this was due to the fact that he was kept largely isolated from the high school students and instead worked one-on-one with teachers or with the rest of the middle schoolers in the same program as he was. Shaun even made friends with a few of the girls and one boy.

The same couldn't be said for Taylor though because unlike Shaun she kept on getting stares directed at her as well as quiet whispers behind her back the entire time in both classes and out in the hallways. Most of the time, people kept their distance.

What was with that?? Ugh. It wasn't exactly the typical bullying she had gotten in the past, but it unnerved her. Was it because she had been on TV recently or what? That was probably it, right? But her paranoia and anxiety couldn't help but pop their ugly heads out, so to speak.
She couldn't take another week of this! Wasn't her 15 minutes of fame supposed to be over by now already? But at least this alienation was way better than the constant bullying she had endured.

It was lunchtime now, so she went to meet up with Shaun at the usual table they had eaten at the past few days.

As they met up together after lining up at the cafeteria buffet, Taylor was somewhat startled when some blonde girl started waving them over with a big friendly smile on her face. It took Taylor a few seconds to recognize her as Glory Girl since she was out of uniform.
Well, she supposed this meant she had to think of the girl as Victoria Dallon rather than Glory Girl.
But, what did the girl want with her? Maybe she had recognized Taylor from the time she brought Panacea over to check on Nora's group.

Warily, she went over to Victoria's table to see what she wanted, Shaun following closely behind with a curious expression on his face.

"Hi?" Taylor greeted the blonde as they got closer, and the two of them suddenly felt an overwhelming feeling of adoration and awe as they gazed upon Victoria.

It cut off just as suddenly when Amy poked Victoria in the arm and whispered loudly, "Your Aura!"

"Oops, sorry." Victoria looked contrite and then smiled up at Taylor again. "Want to sit with us? I noticed that you've been keeping the kid from Gimel company all week, so he's welcome to sit with us as well!"

Taylor couldn't help but still feel wary about the whole thing, but maybe it'd be good for her social life if she was seen sitting with a bunch of heroes. Maybe the stares would die down then.

Against her better judgment, she then mumbled, "Um. okay. I don't see why not."

Victoria grinned. "Great!"

To the other people at the table, she told them to make room for Taylor so that Taylor could sit across from Victoria and Amy, while Shaun sat down beside her.

They barely sat down before Victoria started up. "I have to say, Taylor, that I'm hearing all sorts of interesting things about you! There's like, all those crazy rumors about you and I'm very curious to hear whenever any one of them is true!"

Taylor couldn't help but feel some degree of panic at this, but outwards she kept her face passive. "Oh? I've been wondering why people kept on staring at me in class and in the hallways."

Shaun nodded slightly. "I've been hearing some weird stuff too."

Taylor turned to face the young boy. "And you didn't tell me? What'd you hear?"

Shaun shrugged. "It just seemed silly and weird, so I didn't think you'd be interested. For example, the one where you supposedly stared down the Empire's gang members in Winslow to save some girls from being attacked. Which is kinda cool I guess but I dunno why people make such a big deal over that.``

Taylor blinked. "What."

Victoria smirked. "I've heard that one too. And this was before you came back to this Earth. see, after the 'Winslow Incident' parents kept on pulling their kids out of that school and the issues Winslow had with their utilities just helped speed up things along. So some of the kids came here, you see, right as it came out that it was thought that you were murdered since you had been missing for so long. That's when some of the Winslow kids started remembering you in their own way and started telling stories about what you were really like, and not what Emma painted you as."

So… the rumors started long before she came back? What the hell?

"Yeah, but that doesn't explain why there's this story about how I stared down a gang member and saved a girl. I.. honestly don't remember doing such a thing?" Taylor wondered out loud.

Amy snorted. "That story came from a chubby Asian girl in my classroom. She said she sat behind you in Mr.Quinlan's math class. And the way she told it, some Empire punk cornered her in a bathroom once and was about to do something awful to her but then you came in and glared at him until he left. But naturally, once that story went around it took a life of its own. Before I knew it, the story morphed into you saving a bunch of girls from being assaulted by a dozen Empire kids just by staring them down."

Taylor could vaguely remember somebody like that, and that's when a memory came to her just then. She then blinked, as she replied, "Actually, now that you mention it, I do remember her. Something did happen with her, but I have to confess I remember the story way differently."

"Oh? Do tell." Victoria then leaned toward her, resting her chin on her hands.

Taylor had gone to hide out in one of the random bathrooms one day and then skidded to a halt when she realized that there were two people in the bathroom. The chubby Asian girl was pushed up against the wall by a white boy and he was standing so close that you couldn't help but assume that they had been about to do something very naughty. The girl hadn't been crying or anything, she just stood there very still with a red flushed face.
Taylor froze then, standing there staring at them like a deer in the headlights. She knew she should've just replied "oh sorry" and walked back out, but honestly, she had been too worried that the girl might go out and tattle to Emma where Taylor was hiding out that day, and she had gone in expecting for this girls' bathroom to be empty, not to find a BOY in here! And on top of it, he was about to do the dirty deed with a girl HERE??
The boy acted deeply annoyed then, letting out a loud snarl but he quickly rushed out of there before Taylor could even say anything. The girl didn't quite meet Taylor's eyes and left too as quickly with her head down. Taylor had assumed that she had been deeply embarrassed at being caught like this, and then went to find a different hiding place.

Taylor gave an edited version of the real story there, omitting the part where she had been looking for a place to hide but instead playing it off as she had just been going to the bathroom when she came across what she thought was a pair of lovebirds about to snog each other.

"I froze up then, because I didn't expect to come across that at all, and then the boy ran out. I didn't exactly have time to be staring him down or anything like that? The girl left shortly afterward too. Um, I had no idea that the boy had been threatening her, much less trying to do things to her against her will… from where I was standing it kinda looked like they were a couple about to have a private tryst." Taylor replied, looking somewhat embarrassed.

Victoria looked thoughtful. "Interesting. So it was a case of accidental heroism, then. Kinda disturbing that you couldn't tell that the situation wasn't consensual, though? I mean, if that girl was telling the truth."

Taylor then replied, "In my defense, it's not like I was trained to spot things like that going on. I mean… everyone thinks they know what a rape in progress looks like, and that's with the girl screaming and crying. I remember her, and she was just… standing there quietly, stiff as a board. In hindsight, she might've frozen up as I did but how was I supposed to know that?"

One of the other girls sitting with both Amy and Victoria nodded. They spoke up, "That's understandable. And very true though, that when people think rape they picture a stereotypical one. In a dark alleyway being harmed by a stranger. Honestly, I'd probably react the same way you did."
An awkward silence filled the air after that, and Taylor bit into the subway sandwiches the school had made today, which was very good.

She then asked, "So any other rumors you want me to clear up? Even the bad ones about me? I know they couldn't all be about me heroically saving the day by accident."

Another girl, who looked strangely VERY familiar to Taylor for some reason, flinched slightly, and then looked deeply ashamed. At Taylor's wondering look, She then sighed and spoke up.
"Um. I was from Winslow too… and I want to say I'm sorry. I, um, was one of the ones who spread nasty rumors about you at school and kept on spreading them here until I found out the truth. I swear I stopped once I found out the rumors weren't true!"

Taylor blinked, as she tried to place a name to her face, who she was pretty sure hung out with Emma sometimes.

"You're Elizabeth, right?" Taylor asked, just to make sure.

The girl nodded. "Yeah, but everyone calls me Beth."

Taylor remembered her now, and replied with a deeply unimpressed tone, "Yeah, I remember now. You were the one who went around telling people that I killed my mother."

Beth flinched again, but she nodded miserably. "Yeah. But in my defense, Emma was very convincing. She didn't tell me any details, just that you had done it, but she had me imagining that you slit your mother's throat while she slept in her bed. It honestly creeped me out to find out that there was a kid like that in our school and I agreed with her that you should be driven out. That everyone should know what kind of monster you were. It was after everything happened when I found out that your mother died in a car accident, and that everything Emma told me was a lie."

Victoria looked as if she was floored by how awful that was. "But why would Emma make up something like that?"

Taylor sighed, feeling very weary all of a sudden. "It was because I was talking with my mother on the phone when she had that accident. It traumatized me afterward and for a while there I couldn't help but wonder if I was at fault for my mother's death. Emma was still my best friend at the time, so I talked with her about that. So naturally, it was just yet another thing she could use to hurt me."

Both Victoria and Amy looked appalled, while Beth just closed her eyes with a miserable expression on her face and tilted her head downwards as if she wanted the earth to swallow her up.

Taylor just laughed bitterly at their expressions. "There's always two sides to a story, right?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a pretty awkward conversation afterward, despite Victoria trying to cheer everyone else up by talking about the more silly and fluffy stuff that was going on in daily life.

But at least it was because of them that she had learned just exactly what kind of rumors there were about her, both the good and bad.

Taylor still had her detractors, but it seemed that after both Emma and Sopha stopped being at the top of the social ladder, and with Taylor's supposed death, it seemed that a lot of people did a 180. Clearly, they all must've felt responsible for their small parts in her supposed death, and so went out of their way to overcompensate for all the awful things they said about her and or did to her in an attempt to curry favor with Emma and Sophia. So instead of saying horrible things about her, they instead told the twisted truth as they saw it.

So depending on who you asked, Taylor was a pitiful figure who you felt sorry for but they still rather it was her, instead of them being picked on. (gee, thanks). Or Taylor was this deeply stoic badass who could easily beat up anybody she wanted but just quietly took the abuse heaped her way, but would go out of her way to save people from suffering the same fate as she did. (this part had Taylor blinking, because… huh? Where the fuck had THAT come from?)

But all of them agreed that Sophia and Emma hadn't been somebody they wanted to go up against. Especially not when it was so obvious that Blackwell was in their pockets for some reason. And most of them were in awe that she had been at ground zero of the Winslow Incident for hours before being teleported out by the Earth Gimel Capes and hadn't died from that.

That had put Taylor in such a bad mood for the rest of the school day that she honestly felt relieved when Nora showed up at the school gates to pick up both Shaun and Taylor and informed her that the mega-teleporter on Earth Bet was now done.

They just needed Taylor to bridge the connection, and trade between Earth Bet and Earth Gimmel would start up at long last.

=========================================

A/N: Oof, this was hard to write. But I had to find a way to show how people saw Taylor, and how different her reputation was at this point.

And yeah, there's going to be minor time skips after this because obviously, we can't go in-depth of the everyday minutia, that would get boring. Instead, we get to focus on all the exciting bits, such as Taylor trying to get into the cape life back on Earth Bet next chapter.

Last edited:
Found the story, love it and have been catching up, but Wow, an update literally as I finish reading the last chapter? Made me have a big smile on my face.

Now that the megateleporter is about to up, I wonder how often Taylor is going to visit? I can bet her summer vacation will mostly be there at least. I can see her popping between the two dimensions like visiting a friend in another neighboring state.

And yeah, there's going to be minor time skips after this because obviously, we can't go in-depth of the everyday minutia, that would get boring. Instead, we get to focus on all the exciting bits, such as Taylor trying to get into the cape life back on Earth Bet next chapter.
I honestly wouldnt mine a bit of boring, the whole fallout section been one fight after another, a bit of slice of life wouldnt hurt.

Time skip is acceptable, though I personally prefer that there's at least a brief summary of what happened in that time. Or maybe flashback moments after.

That was oddly specific....

Let's just say I've come across published authors who did exactly just that. which was really annoying.
But not as bad as J/K Rowling, who was the worst offender out of them all who decided to use a time skip as a way to end her HP series. "They were kids before, but now everyone are adults with a dozen babies and they lived happily after ever! Oh, Draco and Harry potter now respect each other enough to politely acknowledge each other on the train station but I'm not even going to explain how they got to that point. Because we're gonna focus more on babies ever after! Everyone has kids and I do mean EVERYONE!"

Nukagirl 108--Meeting Rachel Lindt
A/N: doing pre-Christmas stuff and stuff like that. Wound up taking up more of my busy time than I thought it did.

=============================================
The newly refurbished Airport graveyard, now formally known as Site 15, or Mossward Base, was not only occupied by both soldiers and the PRT but also researchers.

They wanted to study the differences between Haywire's portal-like technology and this new teleporting method that seemed to be powered entirely through radio waves, and how the two were able to connect to different worlds. Also, they seemed excited at the prospect that they could now send probes out into the void-like "space" that acted as the barrier between alternate Earths, and study the chronon-particles that 'lived' there, so the research could go a long way to explain why all the different Earths seemed to be different ages, or more aptly why all the Earths' timelines were not in sync with each other.

And it wasn't just the researchers who were now living here, it seemed they also had some US military members here on base… just in case of war between worlds.

So the small airport graveyard now had been transformed into a large sprawling complex that was part radio station (in order to power the teleporter), apartment buildings, three buildings that were dedicated to the researchers, the PRT offices, and the US Military offices one each. And of course, the last and most important of them all, the massive mega-teleporter tower similar to Trinity tower, although Taylor noted that Nora went for a different building style with this one. She went for a brick-style skyscraper with a built-in helicopter pad on the roof, to match all the plain brick buildings she had put up thus far. They hadn't wanted something that would stand out so much and lure tourists out all the way here, so Nora had complied with their request.

The lone skyscraper on base, miles away from Brockton Bay, kinda stood out though because it was now the tallest thing around for miles. There were also a few warehouses and garages to hold all the vehicles and for additional storage that they might need.

But the biggest surprise for everyone so far? Once Taylor teleported Nora back to Trinity Tower on Gimel, and Nora had to explain things to Desdemona, The Railroad organization insisted on having some of their trusted men and women over there on Earth Bet to keep an eye on things.

The Earth Bet side hadn't agreed to this at first, but Nora managed to persuade both parties into doing a rotation exchange of sorts. Pointing out that if Earth Bet personnel volunteered to become the security for Gimel's towers and if the railroad worked together with them on Earth Bet then it would help keep both towers secure, especially since super mutants were prone to attacking from Gimel's side of things.

And the last thing they wanted was for Supermutants to take over Trinity Tower again, right? And even worse, manage to find a way to cross over to Earth Bet.

At any rate, after all of this was done and sorted out, It meant that it was now time for Nora's group to go back home at long last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Taylor couldn't help but raise a few eyebrows when she noticed that many of the group was stuffing large suitcases full of things into their pip-boy's inventory space. Not just one each but dozens of suitcases that were bulging from being overpacked. "What's that you're taking back home with you?"

"Well there's the first batch of seeds that was promised to me, but I'm also taking back home a lot of books for both myself and Shaun. So that he can continue the education he's been getting at Arcadia back home. Plus some clothes." Nora replied.

Piper then spoke up. "Mostly the same for myself, as well. I'm taking some nice clothes for my sister Natalie, some books I found that I think she'd really like, like this one on beginners' photography. Got her a camera too."

Nick was the only one without any large suitcases and instead seemed to be holding a briefcase that seemed full of technical documents. "It's mostly documents on how to make my synth skin, and things like that. Just in case I need to be fixed up by Ellie or somebody else, ya know."

Taylor nodded and took a good look around the tinker workshop the PRT had made for Taylor, Shaun, and Nora at their headquarters. "Okay, then. Are we sure we haven't missed anything?"

Shaun was wearing his flame-paint power armor once again, this time with a proper power armor helmet that Armsmaster had helped him make, and it even had the flame paint on it to match the rest of his armor. Never again would he wear that baseball helmet he had used as a substitute.

Truthfully, to Taylor's eyes, it looked like a T51 model helmet and an NCR helmet had a baby together and this was the result. Namely, the top half of the helmet was like an NCR helmet, especially in the googles area, while the bottom half was like a T51 helmet especially with the built-in breather mask. But it looked like it was part of the armor and could be hermetically sealed to protect Shaun from radiation. Which was just great. It meant that he could go places where he couldn't before.

"I think we're okay, Taylor. I've packed everything I could need," Shaun replied once he gave everything a cursory check over as well.

Hancock was sitting on a large sofa nearby, petting Gracie as he watched everyone else pack up. He then spoke up, "I'm not going with you guys right away on account of that anti-ghoul bigot still sending mercs after me. Send word to Fahrenheit, have her send a message to the railroad at the Trinity tower when it's safe for me to come back."

He then sat back on the sofa, relaxing slightly. He smirked as he then said, "Besides, you guys need an ambassador here to keep an eye on things, eh?"

Taylor and the rest of the group turned to look at Nora to see her reaction, but Nora just seemed mildly amused. "Alright then, if that's what you really want. I'll pass the word on to her."

Taylor merely shrugged at this and told everyone to hold each other's hands after they were gone packing everything away into their pip-boy inventories, and with that, they all vanished in a tiny pinprick of light. Gracie whined slightly because she didn't like it when Taylor and the others went away without her.

"Don't worry, girl. Taylor will be back in no time." Hancock replied as he patted Gracie's warm, green, leathery hide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Armsmaster and Dragon were there waiting at the Mossward Base, apparently there to see Nora's group off although they seemed far more interested in the teleporter schematics that Nora had printed out in case any part of the teleporter got damaged and they needed to replace parts of it.

They were so absorbed in studying the papers that they hardly noticed when Taylor teleported in with Nora and the others at first, and Dragon was the first to notice when they started moving towards the teleporter pad.

"Oh!" Dragon moved to greet them in her dragon suit, before saying her goodbyes. "Nora, everyone. I wanted to find a way to keep in contact with you all if possible. I'd like to keep on studying some of your technology, with your permission of course. The ones you've permitted me to look at are already amazing as it is. And of course, I'm willing to compensate you for any pieces of tech you send over to me."

Nora merely nodded. "They're already working on figuring out how to make a workable stable internet and radio connection between our worlds. When that happens, you can radio me, or send me an e-mail, and we'll work out a deal that benefits both of us. Alright?"

Dragon nodded at that. She then turned to Nick, who tensed slightly. "Nick. I'd like to apologize. I was way out of line when I implied that you weren't…."

Nick cut her off. "Apology accepted. I suppose I should apologize too, for flipping my lid. You should understand, though, that I've had way too many people questioning my sense of personhood in the past. It's bad enough that I still wonder if any part of me is even human anymore, so I don't need other people piling on the doubts and treating me like that. Capisce?"

Dragon nodded, her body language shifting slightly to take on a more contrite tone. She then whispered so that others wouldn't overhear her. "Of course. And it was very hypocritical of me too, considering that I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I would've hated it too if anybody had done that with me as well."

Nick blinked at that, and then his expression took on a thoughtful expression as he realized what Dragon was implying there, and he seemed to be seeing her dragon suit in a whole light now.

But before he could say anything else, Dragon moved away from the group in order to make room for them to get into the teleporter pad. Armsmaster moved to stand by her, watching the proceedings silently.

He then asked, "Hmm, where's Hancock? I don't see him with you."

Taylor then answered, "Hancock's still back at base. He decided to act as an ambassador in Nora's place, to make sure things would run here smoothly."

Armsmaster frowned slightly, seemingly unhappy with that considering what kind of person Hancock was. "I see."

Taylor then walked up to Nora and hugged her. "I'm definitely going to miss you. I've been around you for so long it'll feel weird not having you there anymore."

Nora smiled. "Ditto to that. You've been such a help in our adventures, that it's definitely going to get used to traveling the long way around on foot again. But, I'm happy to have helped you get back home where you belong."

The two ladies smiled at each other, and they disengaged from each other. Taylor then gave the rest of the group hugs in return, murmuring good-byes to them all.

It was then the technicians called out that the teleporter was ready and active.

Taylor stepped backward until she was free of the teleporter pad, and went to stand by Dragon and Armsmaster as the clear doors closed around the teleporter pad.

Taylor waved as they started up the timer sequence, and Piper was the one to smile and wave back before they disappeared in a large dramatic flash of lighting.

Taylor sighed. It really was going to feel weird without them around, she had gotten so used to their presence. But, this was for the best. Really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that, time seemed to fly by quickly.

There had been the power testing with her teleportation abilities, which lasted a few days. The PRT scientists seemed interested when Taylor told them how her power seemed to steadily grow stronger over time the more she exercised it… citing the fact that originally she could only teleport one person with her, but now could teleport up to five people depending on their mass. She also seemed to have a limitation in that she could only go back to places where she had been before or had been exceedingly familiar with such as her childhood home, etc. So she needed to memorize places and locations so that they'd act as "anchors" that she could move herself to.

So naturally, this had given the people at the Protectorate the idea that maybe Strider should mentor her for a while, where he'd take her all over the world to help train her powers. Honestly, Taylor was pretty enthusiastic about that idea as it meant that she'd get to play tourist in foreign places like Paris. Her dad was less enthusiastic about the idea on the other hand, and Taylor had to convince him on the merits of helping her power become stronger before he finally let her go.

However, this meant that she seriously needed to upgrade her superhero outfit before she could go anywhere for her public debut, even if the '50s-style space explorer look was growing on her. It wasn't the outfit itself that she had a problem with… it was mainly the fishbowl helmet that made the whole thing feel a little dorky, so maybe if she only replaced that part?

She had gone to both the PR department and Armsmaster about that, to see if they could maybe design a suitable replacement that would fit in with her outfit and wouldn't look dorky like the fishbowl helmet had been. Much to her surprise and mild annoyance, both Armsmaster and the woman in the PR dept had suggested that maybe her entire outfit needed to be redesigned as there were a few issues with it.

Armsmaster had a point when he suggested that Taylor needed a bodysuit with padding under it, in order to distort the shape of her actual body… especially if Taylor was still planning to keep her heroic alter ego separate from her public civilian life and didn't want people guessing it was really her so easily.
Taylor could agree with that, especially so because she didn't want people to mistake her for a boy or something, considering how much of a beanpole she still was. She had gotten rid of her stomach paunch, and thus it was more obvious that she had boobs, but they were still so small she might as well be flat-chested. So any padding in that area might help out?

Amanda Lynns, the PR director of Brockton Bay, on the other hand? Taylor didn't exactly agree with everything she said. Amanda, who wore an 80's style business dress with eye-searing bright neon colors, thought that the Nukagirl outfit wasn't completely appropriate for an underage teenage girl to be wearing. To the woman, Taylor's hero outfit was a '50s style sci-fi pinup look, and even the high-thigh black boots were evocative of pin-up sexiness.

Taylor then pointed out that this outfit of hers was actually the family-friendly version of a far more risque pin-up that the Nuka-girl mascot of Nuka World wore, which hadn't exactly impressed Amanda Lynns. If anything the blonde woman seemed to think it proved her point. Just because the costume was modest and covered up everything didn't stop it from being evocative of a pin-up girl. And teenage girls shouldn't be pin-up girls to start with.

"But, I do think the space explorer theme is a great idea!" Amanda replied in that annoyingly peppy way of hers, "With your power, you could easily go anywhere and explore new strange places, eh? So that theme is very fitting, I'd say. I can get my people to redesign your costume so that it's less pin-up and more emphasis on exploration. What do you think? Seeing that you're not exactly part of the PRT or Protectorate officially, I can't make you do anything you don't want to do."

Taylor was dubious, but she agreed that she'd give that a shot. And if she hated any of the outfits they gave her she could always go back to her old one, dorky fishbowl helmet and all. It was as Amanda said, they couldn't make her wear anything she didn't want to.

That over with, that gave her time to focus on other issues, such as getting Gracie used to living in the Hebert household full time save for when it was time for walkies… and finding ways to feed her.

Turns out, when a mutant hound is used to feeding on animal carcasses, dry pellets of dog food seemed awful in comparison. Gracie was such a food snob that she sniffed at the large bowls full of dry dog food and then stared up at Taylor as if to say, "You expect me to eat THIS??"

So Taylor had to try different foods to find what Gracie was willing to eat.

The problem was, that brand of dog food was the only thing that the Heberts could afford to buy in bulk, and Gracie was such a large dog that she needed to eat 50 to 60 ounces of food every morning and evening.

And there was the training issue. Before, Taylor had been content to have Gracie walk alongside her without a leash and let her roam around as long as she didn't go too far from the group. But, on Earth Bet, they were insisting that Gracie wear a harness and a leash… which she wasn't used to at all. And now Taylor was trying to acclimate Gracie to wearing what looked like a large military vest for dogs that Armsmaster and others had made for her. It had straps on it for a leash and prevented Gracie from choking when Taylor pulled on it.

Ugh, stupid dog leash laws. It probably didn't help that Gracie was such a big dog. They were obviously worried about Gracie snapping and tearing people apart with her powerful teeth if she wasn't kept on a leash. Not that she blamed them, really… She had seen what other mutant dogs could do to people and it wasn't pretty at all.

It was during her second week of adjusting to her old life on Earth Bet when she found her answer to the Gracie problem in an unexpected new friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--March 1st, 2011--

It had taken Taylor a while to find a dog-friendly park that was relatively close to where Taylor lived, but she had managed it.

She was trying to get Gracie used to a route, where the mutant hound would go on early morning runs with Taylor, and then wait for Taylor to get back home from Arcadia so that they could go for walkies again, and play somewhere, before heading home to eat food. And occasionally visit the PRT for the times when Taylor wanted to work on her power armor and things like that.

She had heard that dogs were happiest when they had a route to adhere to, although they also sometimes got bored when there was no variation in the route.

So, it was for the third time this week that Taylor was putting the military-themed vest on Gracie, and attaching the leash before they went out to walk.

Taylor grimaced slightly when she saw some of the people on the sidewalks stop to stare or take pictures when she passed them by. They had been doing this a lot since she was first sighted walking Gracie. But hopefully, the sight of a mutant hound would eventually become so commonplace that they'd stop taking pictures. She knew that wasn't very likely, but she still hoped for it.

They finally reached the dog park, with Gracie practically dragging Taylor all the way there despite her trying to keep a firm hand on the leash. Yup, she needed to train Gracie, they couldn't go on like this anymore.

She then let Gracie off the leash soon as they got inside the gated dog park, and with that, they walked around together at a sedate pace, and Taylor let Gracie roam around smelling random things.

Unfortunately, it looked as if Gracie wouldn't be able to make any new friends anytime soon because the other people kept on grabbing their dogs and rushed away as soon as they saw the mutant hound approach, which caused Taylor to frown.

Thankfully, Gracie wasn't the type to notice this and get hurt feelings, she was too busy sniffing at trees and marking her territory. Still, Taylor couldn't help but feel insulted on her behalf. Come on, it wasn't as if Gracie was going to hurt any one of them, much less their beloved pets!

Well, probably?

Sighing softly, She went to sit down on the grassy ground under a tree… which caused Gracie to run over to her. Gracie seemed to think that Taylor getting on the ground signaled that it was time for them to rest, but she had different ideas of what constituted "rest" because she was now playfully slobbering all over Taylor's face before she moved to lay across Taylor's lap like an oversized lap dog.

That was enough to distract Taylor from her moody thoughts, as she burst out laughing.

She wiped away the heavy drool, and then started scratching Gracie's back and behind her ears, and then she cooed, "You knew I was getting upset, didn't you? You didn't want me to be sad at all, huh?"

Gracie decided to roll back on her back, as she looked back at Taylor with a giant doggy grin. Taylor chuckled as she kept on scratching Gracie's belly, causing the mutant hound's leg to twitch uncontrollably in the air.

"You're spoiling that dog." A voice spoke out, startling Taylor slightly. She turned her head to look in the direction of the voice, and saw a girl her age… or so she assumed.

The girl seemed very butch, and with her muscular tone could easily be mistaken for a boy. But there were telltale differences that made her gender apparent, such as her breasts and the fact that her punk-like outfit leaned towards feminine more than masculine, even though she was clearly wearing what was a pair of men's pants. She seemed like the type that didn't care about gendered clothing, and just threw on whatever was the most comfortable for herself.

And, she appeared to be walking a pair of American terrier dogs.

Taylor smiled weakly, as she replied, "Well, of course, I am. She deserves all the love she can get."

Taylor then muttered, remembering why she had been upset earlier. "Not that everyone else seems to see that. They don't see a dog when they see her. They just see some mutant thing."

The butch girl seemed to mull this over, and then she bluntly said, "You're that girl from TV. the one who went missing, and then came back. Brought this dog over from that other world."

Taylor merely nodded. "Yup. that's me alright. And this dog's name is Gracie."

"Can I pet her?" The mystery butch girl asked, and Taylor smiled.

Finally, somebody who didn't seem that scared of Gracie and or treated her like some kind of monster. "Sure. But let her get used to you first. Gracie sometimes gets shy around strangers."

She slowly approached Gracie, holding out a hand for Gracie to sniff, which Gracie did. She also did something odd, such as presenting her side to the mutant hound, from a squatting position and seemingly avoiding trying to approach the dog from the front. She also avoided staring directly at Gracie's eyes.

Amazingly enough, this seemed to make Gracie relaxed as she took her time smelling the girl and coming closer as she did so. The girl then murmured in a quiet calming voice once she started petting Gracie, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Rachel."

Rachel then looked over at Taylor. "Alright if I introduce my dogs to Gracie too?"

Taylor nodded. "Yeah. I've been bringing her here in the hopes that she'd get acclimated to other dogs and people."

Rachel then slowly did introductions between her American Terrier Dogs and Gracie, allowing the dogs to smell each other but seemed poised to jump in if any three of them showed signs of being uncomfortable or being over-excited.

Rachel was the one to slowly relax this time, once she ascertained that the dogs were all getting along well. She then pulled out a large rope toy, and then called out, "Angelica, Brutus! Playtime."

She then threw the rope toy on the ground, causing her dogs to rush back towards her as they raced to be the first ones to the toy. The male one got there first, grabbing the toy in his jaws but now he was locked in a tug of war with Angelica.

Gracie on the other hand, just sat down beside Taylor as she wasn't sure what to make of this behavior. She was staring at the other dogs playing with her ears perked up, however.

Rachel then moved to sit on the other side of Taylor, and seemed to pause for a few seconds there before asking, "Are all the dogs like Gracie over there, where you were before?"

Taylor shook her head. "No. They only get mutated if the Super-mutants give dogs what made them into mutants in the first place. Earth Gimel's actually a terrible place for dogs. The awful states I've seen dogs in… it's enough to give you nightmares for weeks. Dogs whose noses and faces were torn off, so all they have is skulls for faces… and most of them are so skinny you can see their entire skeleton. Makes them look like undead dogs. It's not a place with plenty of food, so most dogs starve because they don't have owners or anything like that. And the dogs that do get caught, humans end up eating sometimes. I've only seen a few settlements where the dogs were well-cared for and loved."

Rachel grew quiet at this, looking disturbed as she mulled that over. She then glanced at Gracie. "She looks well-fed."

Taylor snorted. "Yeah, because we mainly hunted creatures out there in the wasteland. Although that gives me a new problem… Gracie won't eat any of the regular dog food I've brought because of that. Too used to raw meat, you see. I'm worried that I might have to send her back to Gimel at this rate because she's not used to the foods here. I know somebody over there who'll be willing to take care of her for me."

"Hm," Rachel grunted in understanding at that, and for a few minutes, the two of them sat there in silence.

Rachel then replied, "Bone broth and bacon grease. Also, Fish oil or Olive oil, if Gracie's on a diet for health reasons."

"Huh?" Taylor blinked at that, not understanding what Rachel was getting at here.

"If my dogs won't eat, I put that into their food to make them eat and get used to it," Rachel explained. "They love the bacon grease the most. Too much isn't healthy, so the Bone broth is the next best thing. More healthy. But don't get anything that has garlic, onion, or other heavy seasonings in it, that's not good for dogs."

…… that solution seemed so obvious now that Rachel had pointed it out. Why hadn't Taylor thought of that??

"That's brilliant. This is actually my first time owning a dog so that never occurred to me." Taylor mumbled.

She then paused. Rachel seemed to really know her stuff, considering that she had two large dogs to take care of.

She asked Rachel, "Mind if I ask you some questions? I know they're going to sound really stupid but I really want to know everything about how to care for dogs properly. Gracie deserves the best stuff, you see."

Rachel cocked her head in a dog-like manner, as she mulled this over. She then replied, "Okay."

"So what's the best way to train a large dog? I've been trying to get Gracie used to a leash, but…" Taylor started explaining some of the problems she was having while Rachel listened.

====================================================================

A/N: Not exactly happy with this chapter. I had those brief scenes in my head but I had no way of making them connect to each other properly, and I also wanted to "explain" what was happening in between the time gaps.

Like how Taylor ended up friends with Rachel because otherwise, some scenes in the time skips wouldn't make sense.

It just doesn't feel like my best chapter is all.

Last edited:
Nora and the gang, sans Hancock head home. We and Taylor will miss them. Hope this isn't the last time we see them but if it is it was fun while it lasted.
Taylor has costume woes thank goodness the PRT PR department doesn't have the rights to her look so she can actually get something decent.
Taylor also experiences the fun of all first time dog owners. Dog training difficulties. Enter Rachel the dog whisperer. Also Rachel and Taylor bond over dog training. I love this.

So, where will Rachel's Dog Compound end up based at?

How will she react to a talking dog?

They haven't quite cracked how to make talking dogs without making them cyber dogs first. I'm still unsure as to how Rachel would react to cyberdogs... would she see it as animal cruelty, or....? and, would she still be able to transform them despite the machine parts? hmmm...

No real idea how she'd react. But as for the transformation id say it'd go one of two ways depending on how her shard recognizes and does transforming the animals. Either the cyberdog's flesh parts would regen while in monster form like Rachels powers do for injured dogs if the cybernetics are seen as foreign and the cybernetic parts would just pop/rip off during transformation cue gore and potential dog injury or the cybernetics would be recognized as part of the dog and would be transformed along with becomeing tinker-esque or outright tinkertech before reverting when the transformation ended.

Last edited:
Back