Netflix, Riot Game & Fortiche's Arcane

Finally got to watch the last three episodes and wow. Show really exceeded expectations.

I am super pumped for where they go next season. I still think the political messaging will end with the same trite "And the modern system is better then any other would could have" stuff, but the journey to get there is excellent at least.

I watched the first two episodes yesterday and the most unexpected thing for me was learning about Jayce's origin as a twink science man before his evolution into a hunk science man.

Man, Silco you could of just really pushed proper microdosing for your wonder drug and had an entire society with instant healing potions from gut wounds and limb replacements with no severe down sides unless you chug it and even then it's not as bad as chugging most drugs that exist in real life in those kinds of quantities.

He flooded the streets with final fantasy elixirs that if abused could lead to addiction, vascular issues, and tumors, but are still final fantasy elixirs when you don't chug the entire vial. It's insane how useful and relatively safe that drug is.

I assume that's the point and that destroying the drug is just attacking a peripheral symptom rather than the real source of the problems(centuries of enforced socioeconomic divides leading to the air and water being poisoned and everyone down there barely getting by if they get by at all with violent raids happening at the thoroughly corrupt overcity's pleasure), but still.

Last edited:
Man, Silco you could of just really pushed proper microdosing for your wonder drug and had an entire society with instant healing potions from gut wounds and limb replacements with no severe down sides unless you chug it and even then it's not as bad as chugging most drugs that exist in real life in those kinds of quantities.

He flooded the streets with final fantasy elixirs that if abused could lead to addiction, vascular issues, and tumors, but are still final fantasy elixirs when when you don't chug the entire vial. It's insane how useful and relatively safe that drug is.

I assume that's the point, but still.

Like Victor and Jace, Silko's impatience for change leads him to violent over-commitment to a cause, where a lighter touch would have served better.

Silco thought only as he was taught. Violence is power. That's what he knew and that is what he did. You can see in his character how people will act out what morals they have learned even if it is self-destructive to their cause.

Like Victor and Jace, Silko's impatience for change leads him to violent over-commitment to a cause, where a lighter touch would have served better.

And Heimerdinger is the warning that you actually have to set the pace of change to the situation or you'll be pushed aside by those who understand the urgency but may lack moderation.

Being fair to Heimerdinger, he is a physicist. Not a sociologist. This is not his area of expertise. Hiem make machine go whirr.
he is centuries old, and that blurs the framing of *expertise* Hiem is *responsible*
It's why him going to the undercity is my favorite Character Moment for him. Because Jace was *right* in his criticisms, and Hiem responding to that criticism by visiting his Less Favored "child" as a moment of growth speaks well of him. He is the founder. And his incomprehension of human timescales has led to the festering of evils.

Heimer is also... well... kind of a dummy politically speaking.

Not as dumb as Jayce, the man whose opinion is that of whoever spoke to him last, but he was not a great leader.

I feel like this thread is really overstating Silco's revolutionary qualities. His problem isn't that he's willing to sacrifice too much for the cause. It's obvious throughout the season but especially in the final episode that he's personally only willing to give up so much. His problem is that he cares about obtaining personal power exactly as much as he does overthrowing Piltover and he possibly doesn't even draw much of a distinction between the two.

Zaun, if he won, would be a brutal oligarchy run by him and his pet syndicates. Life wouldn't be much better for the people in the streets, if at all.

He flooded the streets with final fantasy elixirs that if abused could lead to addiction, vascular issues, and tumors, but are still final fantasy elixirs when you don't chug the entire vial. It's insane how useful and relatively safe that drug is.

I assume that's the point and that destroying the drug is just attacking a peripheral symptom rather than the real source of the problems(centuries of enforced socioeconomic divides leading to the air and water being poisoned and everyone down there barely getting by if they get by at all with violent raids happening at the thoroughly corrupt overcity's pleasure), but still.
The war on drugs analogy is a little flawed imo because in this case there's exactly one person who controls all production and knowledge of this substance, and he views it's addictive qualities as a feature rather than a bug. You can't make this stuff in a camper or a random basement.

Silco thought only as he was taught. Violence is power. That's what he knew and that is what he did. You can see in his character how people will act out what morals they have learned even if it is self-destructive to their cause.

Silco and Jynx's relationship is kind of interesting. The other major villain-daughter relationship in semi recent fiction has been characters like Thanos and Gamora/Nebula or Shadow Weaver with Catra and Adora. Unlike both of those, however, Silco actually seems to care about Jynx as more than an extension of himself. Silco is warped without ever quite becoming truly depiscable.

He is despicable. He turned Powder into a child soldier and drug addict. Judging by the scene where Jinx gets healed Shimmer over use is probably the real main cause of her psychotic and jumpy behaviour, not Vi.

It was either the Shimmer treatment or Jinx would have died. Before then Jinx never took the substance and was already descending into madness without it. Shimmer just made all her mental issues worse in exchange for letting her live and making her more super-human than before.

He is despicable. He turned Powder into a child soldier and drug addict. Judging by the scene where Jinx gets healed Shimmer over use is probably the real main cause of her psychotic and jumpy behaviour, not Vi.
I honestly don't get this. I've heard people talk about Silco and Jinx drugging each other but aside from a single necessary life saving procedure I can't think of a single time where Jinx is shown or implied to be using Shimmer.

Before then Jinx never took the substance and was already descending into madness without it.
I can't think of a single time where Jinx is shown or implied to be using Shimmer.
Shimmer is the edge that Silco and his enforcers have over the rest. It is also one of the ways he enforces loyalty. It would be weird for him to make Jinx fight for him without combat drugs. Jinx also isn't just psychotic, she is also manic and jumpy like she is on stimulants. I doubt she is getting enough sleep.

Shimmer is the edge that Silco and his enforcers have over the rest. It is also one of the ways he enforces loyalty. It would be weird for him to make Jinx fight for him without combat drugs. Jinx also isn't just psychotic, she is also manic and jumpy like she is on stimulants. I doubt she is getting enough sleep.
I'd argue that if we were supposed to come to the conclusion that Jinx is addicted to Shimmer, they would have shown her using it.

That is honestly an odd conclusion to come to. Like, if Jinx ever used Shimmer prior to when she was injected they would've more than likely shown that.

It's a very easy conclusion to come to to just say that she's plenty mentally unstable and doesn't need the addition of Shimmer to make her as bad as she was before her life saving procedure. So like, you really don't need to say that 'this is definitely the case' without actual proof in the show.

This is the absolute tits. Loved every second.

More thoughts later because I am fat like a cow with all this good TV but holy smokes Fortiche absolutely smashed it into the stands, nevermind the boundary rope.

Great production design, superb vocal performances from a great cast who drew tons out of the material, writing was not without flaw but tight, ambitious, complex, punchy, really good cinematography and direction.

If it means I have to wait another 3 years for more, I will wait another 3 years.

Brava!

Back