Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Katarina Claes dies to Prince Gerald's sword after a botched attempt on Maria Campbell's life. In the end, not even the light mage she detests so much is able to save her. Yet when she opens her eyes, it's the start of the semester, and she's very much alive. For the villainess of Fortune Lover, the end is just beginning.
Last edited:
Chapter 1: Predestination
Pronouns
He
Chapter 1: Predestination

Katarina is dying.

She stares at her mangled and ruined body as she lies on the ground, blood soaking through her dress. The dirt feels calming on her back. She supposes that's fitting, considering she will be one with it soon.

Her chest is cut open. Parts of her body that should never see daylight are poking out. Katarina is no healer, but she knows a mortal wound when she sees one. There's no coming back from this.

Gerald looks down at her with pity and disgust. His white uniform is stained red with her blood, complementing the sword that's covered in it.

"For what it's worth," he says, not meeting her eyes, "I'm sorry it came to this. I wish we had never met."

She tries to chuckle at the absurdity of it all, but only manages to send more of her blood gushing from her mouth. What dreck.

A strange feeling runs through her chest as she sees her would-be-victim put her all into saving her. The commoner's hands glow with such intensity that they hurt to look at, and Katarina can feel her body shift and snap as it desperately tries to stitch itself back together.

It's not enough. Her vision is dimming quite rapidly.

She turns to look at the light mage with what little energy she has left. They make eye contact. Tears are running from the commoner's pale blue eyes.

"– don'tdiedon'tdiedon'tdiedon'tdie –"

Katarina isn't sure what comes over her, but she grabs the commoner's hand using the last of her strength.

Her mouth moves uselessly, and then everything goes black.

She opens her eyes. She's in her dorm room.

She looks down and feels her body. Her insides are inside her once more. Cautiously, she peaks under her nightgown. There are no stitches. Not even a scar.

She raises an eyebrow. She knows the commoner is overpowered, but this? She's never heard of such a powerful light mage!

Then, horror sets in. She's going to be exiled now. Or worse, executed. They're holding her here until they figure out what to do with her. She's certain that if she tries to open that door, she'll be met with a guard. Or worse, find herself face to face with her soon-to-be-former fiancé.

Well, if she is going to die or get banished, she may as well look dignified doing it.

She jumps out of the bed and throws open the closet doors.

Huh. There are five dresses here. Have they fixed hers so quickly? Why bother at all?

She dismisses the thought as she plucks one off the clothes rack. Once she's done, she moves to the front of her dorm and cautiously reaches toward the door knob. She pushes the door forwards slowly, and peers through the crack.

There's no-one in the hall.

Cautiously, she steps out. After checking the coast is clear, she quickly hitches up her skirt and takes off running.

The gate. She needs to go to the gate. She'll requisition a carriage and head to the estate – hopefully the news hasn't arrived yet, but even if it has, she can probably get the staff to look the other way – grab her valuables, and make a bee-line for the nearest country. She has no intention of even giving the third prince the option of lopping off her head. If the choices are exile or death, then she chooses exile. It will be her decision, not his.

"Lady Katarina?"

The only reason she doesn't take off in a terrified sprint is because she recognizes that voice.

"Sienna?" she says, spinning to face her.

Sienna looks at her with concern in her eyes. "Is something wrong?"

Sienna is one of the few people Katarina permits to call her by her first name. The young noble has proven herself to be her staunchest ally, and Katarina has grown fond of her company.

She is also one of the vanishingly few people Katarina can trust right now.

Katarina clasps her hands together and brings them close to her chest. "You have to help me, Sienna! The guards will notice I'm missing any moment now! Stall them!"

Confusion washes across Sienna's elegant features, but it very quickly hardens into resolute determination. "Go! I'll point them in the wrong direction!"

Katarina nods, hitches up her skirt, and takes off running once more. She spares one glance back at the noblewoman. She will miss Sienna. People with that kind of loyalty are rarer than gold.

Katarina turns the corner and comes face-to-face with her worst nightmare. Standing before her is the third prince, carrying a stack of textbooks. At least his elegant white uniform is not stained with her blood. For now.

His sharp features twist in confusion as he locks eyes with her. "Katarina?"

She screams and takes off in the other direction, hearing the 'thump' of his textbooks hitting the floor behind her. He must be giving chase!

She runs even more frantically as the scene of the prince plunging his sword into her chest replays in her mind. She is dead. She will be dead. That commoner shouldn't have even bothered saving her – the universe is clearly out for her head.

She gasps in shock as her dress slips from her fingers. She reaches for the fabric, only to trip and slam against the carpet. She barely holds onto consciousness as her head swims – what is it with her and head trauma anyway?

Now is not the time though. She can hear the approaching footsteps of her former fiancé.

She dizzily attempts to rise to her feet, only to stumble and fall as the world blurs around her. She frantically looks around. Sienna is above her, looking down with concern.

She feels a chill run down her spine as the third prince rounds the corner and locks eyes with her. She once again attempts to rise to her feet, only to stumble and fall once more. As she realizes that standing is evidently not an option in her current state, she settles for a most undignified shuffle away from her would-be-murderer.

"Get away from me!" she cries.

Sienna's features twist in confusion as she looks between the terrified Lady Claes and the prince, but the noble quickly interjects herself between them. She holds out her arms as if to shield Katarina as she stares defiantly at the royal.

Katarina feels a sting of pride. Sienna is willing to face down a member of the royal family for her?

"Katarina!" shouts the third prince. "What on Earth has gotten into you?!"

She gapes at him in surprise, then balls her fists. As if the cur doesn't know! "I won't let you kill me!"

The third prince's jaw drops.

Sienna glances at Katarina with a concerned expression, only to glare at the prince, eyes filled with ire. "What have you done?"

For perhaps the first time in his life, Gerald is at a loss for words.

"He tried to kill me!" Katarina shouts, pointing at him with a shaking hand. "He stabbed me through the chest with his sword!"

Sienna looks at her with confusion. "He stabbed you through the chest?" Her eyes flit towards Katarina's midriff. "You look fine, though."

She feels at little hurt at her ally's skepticism, but supposes it's understandable considering the circumstances.

"Evidently that peasant girl is even more overpowered than I thought," she spits.

"Are you saying that she used her magic to save your life?" Sienna asks. She looks conflicted.

She sighs. Of course Sienna would misunderstand the situation. Still, she can overlook such a minor transgression after the loyalty she has shown today.

"Oh, so holy of her to heal me!" she mocks. "As if she is not the cause of this misery to begin with."

"Pardon me," interjects the third prince, the polite mask returning to his face, "but I believe I would recall running you through with my sword."

She leans towards him from the floor. "Are you saying I am beneath your notice?"

"I am saying I did not attack you."

She feels her blood run hot. "It's just like you to try and cover up your transgressions!"

The third prince looks at her coldly. "You're one to talk."

"Why, you—"

"I apologize for the interruption," begins Sienna, "but have you considered there may have been some kind of misunderstanding, Lady Katarina?"

She clenches her fist. The nerve! Sienna has certainly bought herself a lot of favor recently, but she's burning through it equally as fast.

Sienna, oblivious to her ally's growing anger, continues. "I have never heard of a light mage saving someone from such a grievous injury. Even if she had, would there not be evidence of it, such as a torn shirt or bloodstains?"

"Of course not!" Katarina shouts. "This didn't happen just now! I had time to get changed!"

"Then can you show us the bloodied dress?" Gerald replies. "If what you allege did indeed happen, you should still have it, no?"

She rolls her eyes. "It was obviously disposed of when I was taken to my dorm room. I awoke in my nightgown, as usual."

"Awoke? Then you had a nightmare."

She grits her teeth. "There's no way that was a nightmare." It was far, far too real and painful. She's had bad dreams before. Never has a dream made her feel pain, much less pain like that.

Sienna places a hand on her shoulder. "Lady Katarina, I do not wish to dismiss your feelings, but would we have not heard about this? You said it happened some time ago."

She slaps Sienna's hand away. "Perhaps you were all too busy preparing for the end of the semester to notice."

This time, both of them look at her with concern.

"End of the semester?" Gerald says. "Katarina, we're only a few weeks into it."

"T-That's impossible!" she shrieks, before turning towards Sienna. "I was studying for my Theory of Magic exam with you just yesterday!"

The noble and the royal exchange glances and nod.

Sienna leans down and helps Katarina to her feet, draping her arm around her shoulder as to steady her while they walk. By this time, a crowd has formed in the hallway.

"Make way!" the third prince commands as he pushes through them. "My fiancée needs medical attention!"

This is humiliating.

Part of her is grateful to be wrong. Evidently no-one but her can remember what happened – or perhaps it'd be more accurate to say what will happen – so, at least for the moment, she need not fear death or exile. But despite what they tell her, Katarina knows she isn't delusional. She has the memories of a year of classes. This happened. She is certain of it.

She wonders what deity took pity on her. She supposes she shouldn't be surprised – she always knew she was destined for great things – but it's still hard to believe that the last several months of her life have been wiped from existence. Why has she been given this second chance? What is she meant to do with it?

"My lady?" says Anne, stepping through the infirmary door.

Katarina beckons her forwards. Once the healers gave up on trying to figure out what was wrong with her, and once she had stopped trying to convince them of the reality of her experiences, the room had emptied out fairly quickly. Sienna had stopped by to see her, but she sent her away. She's still upset by her ally's doubt. Is her word not enough? Anne, though, is always welcome to stand by her side. Anne has always supported her, never once allowing doubt or hesitation to cloud her judgement.

"Do you believe me?" Katarina asks, after explaining the situation.

The maid is silent for a moment. "It is irrelevant," she eventually says. "You believe it, and so I will support you either way."

Katarina smiles at her. Anne's loyalty is unparalleled. When the day comes that she has to leave her side, Katarina will make sure she will never want for anything again.

"Lady Claes, may I ask what do you plan to do?"

"Truthfully, I do not know. It is a lot to take in."

The maid nods. "I cannot imagine."

She frowns. "Anne, I have a question."

"Of course, my lady."

"Why do you think I was given another chance?"

The maid brings a finger to her chin as she ponders it.

"I mean, I always knew I was special, but I cannot help but wonder why I was chosen specifically," Katarina continues. "My death, while painful, was but one of many that day."

"I believe you are asking the wrong question, my lady. We mortals will never be able to comprehend the actions of the gods." She pauses. "May I suggest an alternate line of questioning?"

"Of course."

"Do not question why you were brought back. Question what you will do now that you know what is coming."

Notes
Since I originally posted this on AO3 and SB, I'll be maintaining a fairly regular upload schedule until we catch up. I'm thinking 2 chapters a day? To be determined, though.

Anyway, hope y'all enjoy!

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Butterfly Effect
Chapter 2: Butterfly Effect​

"I want to break off the engagement."

Gerald raises an eyebrow, frowning slightly as he looks up from his coursework. "Pardon?"

Katarina nods, pointing to her forehead. "My scar has healed, so—" she pauses, taking a deep breath "—there's no need for you to take responsibility anymore."

His lips purse into a thin line as he pushes back his chair and rises to his feet. The scar has indeed faded away over the many long years since she has entrapped him in this engagement, but the duke's daughter has always made a show of its presence whenever she felt him slipping from her grasp. She has even used makeup to make it appear more disfiguring and prominent. For her to be so frank about the matter is strange, to say the least.

"Is this because of your nightmare?" he asks.

"So what if it is? You have no love for me anyway," the lady pouts.

He considers his next move carefully as he stares at her. Oh, there is no love lost between the two of them, and he has every intention of breaking it off once it becomes too burdensome, but she has proven useful, has she not?

Before this engagement, he had to contend with an endless stream of suitors jostling for his attention. Noble parents would parade their daughters before him, hoping theirs would catch his fancy. False rumors were spread in order to pressure him. Political factions pledged their support if he chose a candidate that would increase their standing. In truth, it was beyond irritating: He could not care less about any of it. Yet it would not stop so long as he remained without a bride-to-be.

It was for that reason that he had not resisted Katarina's demand for an engagement. He had anticipated her actions, of course, but she was convenient enough. Of course, he was blissfully unaware of how grating the noble lady would prove to be.

Yet, his engagement has reduced the demands made of him. While it is true that those who wish to use him to increase their standing merely cloak their attempts, and that his appearance and status cause many young noblewomen to approach him with ulterior motives, he is already swarmed with suitors at every event. Without the engagement to protect him, it would be even worse.

Yes. She is still useful.

"What are you talking about, Katarina?" he smiles. "Your scar is still clear as day."

Her eyes go wide. "W-What?"

"As you've said many times before, it's only proper for me to take responsibility for my actions." A part of him enjoys seeing the hurt in her eyes as he turns her words against her.

"Why not break it off?" she says, her voice a little shaky. "You love that commoner girl!"

Ever since the day he met the light mage, Katarina has become convinced that he is in love with Maria Campbell. He is surprised that his fiancée is astute enough to recognize his attraction, but love? Hardly. She is simply fun to toy with. After all, love is a burdensome affair. He has no use for such irrelevant emotions.

"My, Katarina, that nightmare must have really shaken you. To say something like that all the sudden… Are you sure you're not confusing it with reality again?"

"You were flirting with her earlier today!" she whines.

"Flirting? That was a misunderstanding, Katarina. One that has been resolved. Still, is that why you speak so lowly of her?" he asks, grinning at Katarina's flustered reaction.

"T-That's beside the point!" she stammers.

"You're right," he replies. "The point is that cancelling our engagement is impossible, wouldn't you say?"

Truthfully, Gerald has found himself enjoying these last few days. Katarina had been such a bore, and he had dreaded having to spend the whole semester with her in the academy. But this? This is interesting.

Besides, it is quite amusing to see his fiancée so worked-up about the matter.

"You black-hearted sadist!" she shouts, glaring at him. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

His grin widens. "Perhaps."

Katarina lazily flips through her textbook as she sits in the library alongside Sienna. Yup. Same old material.

Study sessions are always a bore, but at least before she had not been going over the same concepts she's already seen.

Sienna leans over to her and points to a rune in their textbook. "I don't really understand how this barrier rune is any different from a shielding rune."

Katarina leans over and points at the illustration. "Barrier runes physically block attacks, while shielding runes make it so they never even hit."

The blonde nods. "Ah. That makes sense. The wording in the book was confusing."

"Think of it this way," Katarina offers, "barriers get battered, shields circumvent."

Sienna nods. "Huh. That's pretty clever. Did you come up with that?"

No, Sienna herself did.

"Yes, I did."

Sienna smiles at her and returns to her studies. Katarina just sighs and leans back in her chair. Honestly, why even bother studying this time around? Sure, she can probably bump up her score, but she didn't do that badly when she last took the achievement exams. At least, not badly enough that she has reason to care.

Wait. She has taken the exams before. They will be the same questions.

A sadistic grin creeps across her face. "Sienna?"

Sienna doesn't look up from her book. "Yes, Lady Kat- I mean, Lady Claes?"

"How long is it until exams again?"

The noblewoman pauses for a moment as she racks her mind. "They begin next week."

Katarina laughs. Oh sure, she doesn't remember everything, but with a week to fill in the gaps…

Sienna looks at her with some concern, and she quickly stifles her laughter.

"Lady Claes? Are you alright?"

Katarina turns towards her with a glint in her eye. "What if I told you I just devised the perfect plan to wipe that stupid grin off Prince Gerald's face?"

Sienna looks unamused. "I'm not cheating for you."

She rolls her eyes and waves her hand dismissively. "Oh, you of little faith."

"Then… what do you have in mind?"

"Nothing more than a few extra study sessions with my favorite study partner."

Sienna's skeptical expression doesn't wane. "You think that's going to be enough to beat your fiancé?"

"Sienna, Sienna, Sienna," Katarina tuts, wagging her finger like a nagging grandma. "This is why you lost your first-name privileges."

The third prince confidently strides forwards and looks upon the noticeboard. His name, as befitting his status, is of course—

"Second?!" he shouts.

Impossible! It's impossible! He knows for a fact he'd gotten every single question on every exam right! Who has bested him? Who has proven themselves to be his mental superior? Who? Who!?

His eyes widen as he sees exactly whose name rests at the top of the leaderboard, and Gerald fears for his sanity. For the challenger that had bested him in a battle of wits, and is thereby the most accomplished first-year student, is none other than—

"Katarina Claes!" a voice shouts from behind the crowd. Several students yelp in terror as the fourth prince, Alan Stuart, pushes his way through them. "How!?" he shouts, his blue eyes wide as he lunges towards the brunette. "How did you do it?"

Katarina smiles wickedly. "Why, the same way anyone would do it. I studied, of course."

Gerald raises a brow, placid smile still affixed to his face. "Is that so? No… other methods?"

She crosses her arms and fixes Gerald with a smug grin. "Come now, Gerald. It's unbefitting of a royal to accuse his future wife of such misconduct."

The third prince's smile strains. Even if he did not already have suspicions, the way she is acting only confirms foul play.

His brother evidently concurs. "I have been trying to beat him my whole life." He grits his teeth. "It's. Not. That. Simple."

Katarina leans back and plasters a surprised expression on her face. "I had no idea you two would get so worked up over this!" she says in a tone of voice that confirms the opposite. "But you can check with the professors, and the graders, and the librarians! I've been too busy studying to have time for any of what you claim!"

"May I have your attention, please!" calls out a voice.

All three of them turn towards its source, revealing a short red-haired boy: Sirius Dieke, head of the Student Council.

"I can confirm that the teaching staff have conducted an audit of the test results and have discovered no discrepancies. While Lady Claes had a rough start, she has been performing similarly well on all her assignments in these last weeks. In fact, if she keeps it up, she'll be this year's valedictorian."

For the second time in two weeks, the third prince's jaw drops. Has the world gone mad?

However, before Sirius is able to continue, Alan steps towards the object of their conversation.

"I can see I was wrong to underestimate you, Katarina Claes."

"Naturally."

"That's why, as of this moment, I declare you my rival!"

The brunette's smug expression falters. "Rival?"

The fourth prince's face twists in anger. "Don't you dare look down on me!" he shouts, before storming off in a huff.

Katarina looks at him as he merges into the crowd of students. "Wait," she mumbles. "Last time, he—" Then, she goes as white as a bedsheet. "Oh."

She jumps as Gerald lays a hand on her shoulder. "A-Ah! Gerald!"

He looks down at her, scrutinizing her features even as a smile remains on his face. "What are you scheming, Katarina?"

She just smiles. "I'm telling you, Gerald. I really did just study a lot."

"Perhaps in the last week, but that would not explain your performance today."

"Oh come now, Gerald," she says. Her expression turns positively vicious. "I had just as much time as you."

A chill runs down his spine.

"Pardon me for interrupting," begins Sirius, who quickly slides between them, "but I believe congratulations are in order." He grabs Katarina's hand and shakes it. "Welcome to the Student Council, Lady Claes," he says, smiling. "I'm looking forward to working with you!"

She freezes, blue eyes going wide. "Pardon?"

Notes
You ever take a course and do just average in it, and then take it again and knock it out of the park because you essentially had twice the study time as everyone else? That's what Katarina just did. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but she had such a huge advantage over everyone else that it didn't matter.

So, Katarina's in the Student Council! I think I have the honor of being the first fic ever where that's the case. Wasn't the original plan, but the idea was just too good to pass up! And of course, she has now severely derailed Alan's route, so that's gonna be fun!

And yes, somebody just got bumped-off the council due to Katarina's meddling. Can you guess who?

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Destructive Interference
Chapter 3: Destructive Interference

Mary Hunt's heart falls as she looks at the leaderboard. There are six slots open for the Student Council this year. Alan made the cut. She did not.

She looks at the name at the top of the list: Katarina Claes, daughter of Duke Claes and wife-to-be of the third prince. According to the rumors, the lady is similarly cruel and twisted. It is not surprising, then, that the two of them are betrothed.

Her frown deepens as she flits to the second name on the list. Gerald Stuart. Needless to say, she does not think highly of him. Even before the rumors of his true personality began to affect his reputation, she saw him for what he is. Her fiancé – poor, poor, Alan – is always trying to best him, but his efforts to be noticed - to have his brother acknowledge his value as a person - only solicit scorn.

She raises her fan to conceal a most unladylike scowl as images of her mocking stepsisters flash through her mind. How rotten this world is, that people like that hold such power.

"Lady Hunt," says the voice of her fiancé.

She quickly turns to face him and lowers her fan as a smile returns to her face. "Alan. It is good to see you. I was looking all over."

He nods with a grunt.

"Congratulations on making it to the Student Council!" she says, carefully tiptoeing past the topic of rankings. "I was hoping I could join you, but alas, it appears it was not meant to be."

He looks surprised. "Oh yeah! You just barely missed the cut-off!"

She hopes he doesn't notice her eye twitch.

"Anyway," she says, recomposing herself. "I do hope your new duties will not keep you from me too often. I do so enjoy spending time with you."

You are valuable, no matter what your awful brother says about you. Why can't you see it?

"Ah! Sorry Mary, but I'm going to be pretty busy now that I have a new rival."

Her heart stops, and she desperately hopes she did not hear him correctly. "Pardon?"

Alan looks away and sheepishly rubs the back of his head. "Yeah. Lady Claes figured out how to beat Gerald, so now I need to beat her instead."

The fan is back up, hiding her deepening frown. "Are you not satisfied with seeing Prince Gerald surpassed, even if it is by another's hand?"

"She's still my brother's fiancé," he replies, as though the answer is obvious. "Plus, even that commoner beat me this time, so I really need Lady Claes' secret."

Her eyes narrow as she sinks further behind her fan. "They say she has gone mad. Have you not heard the rumors?"

Alan's expression darkens. "If that's what I have to do to beat Gerald, then it's a price I'm willing to pay."

She wants to scream out his name and slap him across the face. She wants to sob and call him foolish while she surrounds him in a tight embrace. Can he not see that she loves him? Can he not see that she would go to the ends of the Earth for him?

Instead, she takes a shaky breath and says nothing. A lady is calm. A lady is collected. A lady does not act on such desires.

She watches quietly as Alan says his farewells and heads down the hall.

There's a quiet snap as the fan breaks beneath her grip.

Katarina strongly resists the urge to bury her face in the textbook before her. Her body aches, and whenever she blinks, facts and figures zip past her eyes. Her mind screams for rest.

What is she doing? She isn't book dumb, but she's going to have to work twice as hard as everyone else to keep this up – quite literally, considering the work she has already put in.

She recalls the look of utter confusion plastered across her so-called fiancé's face and smiles. Okay, maybe that had been worth it.

Still, can she really keep this up forever? Her fiancé is not normally the studious type, but the only thing he hates more than putting in effort are slights to his reputation. If he studies even half as hard as she is – and he will, now that he sees her as a threat – there is little question whose name will be at the top of the leaderboard the next time around.

A seat on the Student Council is certainly prestigious, and she is looking forward to her newfound power. However, now she has even more work to do. Even worse, it means she will be forced to spend time with her detestable 'brother' and that lowly commoner. She can at least take heart in the fact that her results grant her seniority over both of them. Even her so-called 'prince' is below her in the eyes of council proceedings.

She taps a finger on the desk as she runs a hand through her brown hair. Still, this complicates things. Overt misbehavior as a student council member will not be tolerated. That commoner is too spineless to ever act against her, but she knows far too well that the same cannot be said of her allies. She does not want to lose her position – not only would it be humiliating, but she craves the power it gives her – but it is as much a blessing as it is a liability.

So, Katarina Claes is going to have to be more subtle.

Her mind flips back to the first encounter she had with the peasant. What is it she had been holding back then… a basket of sweets? For the council, she had claimed.

Katarina, of course, had seen through the deception immediately. It was obvious the commoner was really after her fiancé! So she had Mirabelle and Bethany show her exactly what they thought of her sweets! Or rather, they'd tried, before Prince Gerald – the traitorous wretch – appeared in person and sent them fleeing.

…Come to think of it, where had the commoner been baking them? She could not have been hauling them in from off-campus.

Her eyes widen, and a dark grin spreads across her face.

"I'm sorry, Miss Campbell, but I can't let you use the kitchen anymore."

Maria looks up at the head chef with some confusion. The woman looks apologetic as she crosses her arms over her apron.

"We've received a letter from the baking club. Evidently, they've noticed that some of their ingredients have gone missing, and accused us of stealing from the kitchen. I tried to get one of them down here so I could explain the situation, but none of them would accept my invitation. So, I covered for you and said we'd simply misplaced them, and promised it wouldn't happen again."

"O-Oh," says Maria, looking down at the floor.

The woman purses her lips. "It's not right, I tell you! Who makes such a big deal over some flour, sugar, and eggs? The way that letter was written, you'd think they were accusing us of stealing the Mirror de Gaulle!"

"I'm sorry I got you in trouble," Maria replies, not looking up. "You've all been so kind."

The light mage looks up in shock as the chef wraps a stocky arm around her shoulder. The older woman looks down at her with a gentle expression. "Think nothing of it, Maria. If anything, we should be thanking you!" She sighs, and her expression falls. "Just hang in there, alright? I'm sure we can get this straightened out eventually. Not like we can just march up to the head office, though…"

Maria fights back tears at her kind words.

"Hey, wait a second!" she interrupts, her eyes lighting up. "You're part of the Student Council, right? Why don't you just get them to make a new rule that says council members are allowed to use the kitchen?"

Maria shakes her head and steps out of her grip. "No, it's okay. I wouldn't want to be a burden."

The head chef's features wrinkle with confusion. "Burden?"

Despite herself, Maria puts on a smile. "It's really fine. It's not like anyone else eats my sweets anyway. I'm just being selfish, taking time out of your day like that."

"Now listen, Maria—"

"A-Anyway, I need to go," the light mage sputters. "I just realized I've got an assignment due tomorrow." She tries to smile, but her glistening eyes betray her real feelings.

Before the chef even has a chance to say anything else, the light mage takes off down the hall, rounds the corner, and disappears from her sight. The head chef frowns, shakes her head, and slips back through the kitchen doors. "Hey, Jeff?" she calls.

"Yeah, Boss?" replies a thin man, leaning up from beneath a stove.

"Do you still have that letter from this morning?"

"I threw it in the trash," Jeff replies. "Why?"

"Dig it out, will you? And put it somewhere we can find it later."

"Boss?"

"Just a feeling," the head chef states. "Something strange is going on here…"

Notes
We get a Mary scene! I tried to reconcile the boisterous and flirtatious friend of Bakarina with the calm and composed noble of Fortune Lover, and I'm quite happy with the result.

I also know some of you were hoping that Katarina was going to stop bullying Maria after last chapter. I guess you were sort of correct. Unfortunately, she's traded direct physical confrontations for insidious plotting. Can't stomp on her muffins without getting caught? Then stop her from making them at all.

Last edited:
Chapter 4: Phase Shift
Chapter 4: Phase Shift

"I now call to order this meeting of the Katarina Claes Death Avoidance Committee!" exclaims the mustached Katarina.

The studious Katarina Claes pushes up her glasses as she leans forwards on the table. "Our plan to become part of the student council has proven to be a rousing suc—"

"Plan! What plan?" interrupts the stressed and tired Katarina. "You've been running us ragged for the past two weeks and we have nothing to show for it!"

The haughty and arrogant Katarina raises her fan. "That's not true. Our new position gives us much more power than we had in our last life. It should be easy for us to counter any moves that black-hearted prince makes."

"I-If we can stay on the student council at all," stutters the timid Katarina, clasping her gloved hands together.

"True," nods the glasses-wearing Katarina. "Keith will almost certainly be attempting to depose us."

The angry Katarina slams her fist against the table. "We need a backup plan! Our position means nothing to a prince that will gut us like a fish!"

"S-She's right. It's too r-risky to bet everything on the council."

"Well, what would you have us do?" retorts the studious Katarina. "Our councilwork and studies have left us very little free-time."

"Screw the council!" the angry Katarina replies.

"I concur!" shouts the stressed Katarina. "Do you not all remember we spent four hours going over the material every day last week?"

"That's an entirely reasonable amount of time to study…" mutters the studious Katarina, but the others ignore it.

The haughty Katarina raises her fan to her face. "I object. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it would be to lose our council position now?"

"Keith would never let us hear the end of it," groans the depressed Katarina as she lies on the table.

"If we didn't want it, we shouldn't have accepted it," the haughty Katarina continues. "I'm afraid to say it, but at this point, we're committed."

Every Katarina at the table, barring the studious Katarina, groans at this.

"I hate studying…" replies the depressed Katarina.

"It is true that we cannot lose our council position now," says Chairman Katarina, "That being said, I must concur: We need some sort of back-up plan."

The chambers of Katarina's mind instantly erupt into furor.

"Where will we find the time?" shouts the glasses-wearing Katarina.

"We'll make time!" the angry Katarina fires back.

"M-Maybe we could try and p-patch things up with G-Gerald?" offers the timid Katarina.

"That black-hearted prince and that blonde harlot are the whole reason we're in this mess!"

"We already tried to get him to break off the engagement, and he refused," interjects the studious Katarina.

"He must want to kill us!"

"Well, what else can we do?"

"M-Maybe we could be n-nicer to Campbell this time?"

Everyone stops what they're doing and turns towards timid Katarina, who wilts under their stare. "N-not me," she clarifies, turning to point to a corner of the room. "H-her."

Half-covered in shadow is another Katarina, holding herself tightly as she sits on the floor. She stares off into the distance, eyes full of uncertainty and doubt.

"What is she doing here!?" shrieks the haughty Katarina as she points to the interloper with a shaking finger.

Chairman Katarina rises to her feet and fixes the new figure with a dark glare. "You are not permitted to attend these meetings." She claps her hands, and a Katarina wearing a suit of plate and chainmail appears beside her.

"Guard Katarina, please escort Guilty Katarina off the premises."

The armored Katarina moves towards the intruder, leans down and grabs her by the shoulders, and drags her out of sight.

Looking satisfied, Chairman Katarina sits back down. "I apologize for the interruption. Let us resume our discussion."

"I've got it!" shouts the excitable Katarina. "Why don't we learn how to use a sword?"

"A sword? How ghastly."

"S-Swords are d-dangerous, you know…"

The studious Katarina rolls her eyes. "As much as I hate to admit it, I think her proposal has merit." She sighs and adds under her breath, "Though it's very likely our grades are going to suffer for this…"

"Grades, schmades!" shouts the stressed Katarina. "The real question is who can we get to teach us?"

"She raises a fair point," says the studious Katarina. She pushes her glasses up on her face. "We do not have much time. It is likely that taking lessons only at the manor would be insufficient."

Chairman Katarina furrows her brow. "We can discuss that matter at a later time. Are we all in agreement that we should learn how to use a sword?"

"No objections from me, chairman," says the glasses-wearing Katarina.

"I s-suppose we're less likely to d-die to a sword than we are to G-Gerald," adds the timid Katarina.

"It doesn't matter either way… We all die eventually…" moans the depressed Katarina.

"A lady should never handle a sword, but considering the circumstances…" murmurs the haughty Katarina.

"It might be fun!" exclaims the excitable Katarina.

"Oh, I cannot wait to see the look on that sadist the next time he tries anything!" yells the angry Katarina.

"As long as it's not more schoolwork!" adds the stressed Katarina.

"Then, hearing no objections, the matter is settled. We will learn sword-fighting as a backup plan in case our council position does not protect us." The chairman slams down the gavel. "Meeting adjourned."

Prince Gerald scoffs, hardly believing what he's hearing. "You want me to teach you how to use a sword?"

Katarina crosses her arms behind her back as she looks down at the ground and pouts. "The medicinal magic professor wouldn't agree to it."

He looks at her with a confused smile and gestures for his servants to leave the garden. There's only one reason his fiancée would suddenly be interested in such an unladylike activity.

"You claim I run you through with a sword by the end of the year," he says once they're alone. "Does receiving lessons from your 'killer' not defeat the point?"

She frowns at him, and her hands move to her hips. "Well, I won't win against you in a straight-up sword battle either way. At least this way I can maybe buy some time for help to arrive."

He should say no. This is perhaps the most asinine request he's ever heard. He has far more important things to do with his time than teach his spoiled brat of a fiancée how to handle a sword so she can 'defend' herself against an attack she saw in a nightmare.

Yet he cannot wipe the grin from his face. Katarina Claes, the woman who once harangued one of his servants for the crime of her tea being too cold, is now asking him to teach her how to handle a sword?

He makes a show of being conflicted about the decision, 'hmming' and 'aahing' as he cycles through various contemplative expressions. After some time enjoying watching her squirm, he finally answers.

"I'll do it," he says. "On one condition."

Katarina crosses her arms and looks at him with disappointment in her eyes, but gestures for him to continue.

He puts on a winning smile as he takes a step closer to his fiancée. "Tell me how you beat me on those exams."

She looks at him smugly. "Much as I did with each exam problem: you already know the answer."

Not long after, as Katarina is walking through the field back to the main building, she comes across something curious: A discarded hoe, lying in the path before her. One of the groundskeepers must have left it here by mistake.

A strange feeling overtakes her, and she bends down to pick it up. She feels its weight in her hands. The tool is evidently of good quality. It feels quite sturdy.

After glancing around to make sure no-one is watching, she heaves it over her back. She nearly loses her balance, but steadies herself before bringing it forwards with as much force as she can muster. The tip digs into the earth with a satisfying 'thud.'

Lifting it back over her shoulder, she places her free hand on her chin. Her brow furrows as she considers a possible course of action.

After a moment's thought, she shakes her head and tosses the hoe over her shoulder.

The discarded gardening tool clatters to the ground as she walks away.

Notes
I need to stop making so many definitive statements about the future when it comes to this story. It's crazy how much it gets away from me. Don't think I've ever written such an unruly piece of fiction before.

I'm probably about 2,000-3,000 words ahead of you guys right now, but my plans have changed so much that most of that's either not immediately usable due to timeline changes, needs significant re-writes due to Katarina's refusal to follow the plans I'd set for her, or just no longer works at all for that same reason.

This isn't a bad thing, though. I'm glad she's not doing exactly what I expected her to. What she's actually done has proven far more interesting. Council? Not planned. Getting smart with her bullying? Not planned. She's a heck of a lot cleverer than I anticipated, and a fair bit nastier too. She's still dense, of course, but it manifests itself very differently than it does with Bakarina. I hope that's a sign that I'm doing something right!

Last edited:
Chapter 5: Inversion
Chapter 5: Inversion

"Ah! Councilwoman! You are late."

Katarina pants lightly as she hitches up her skirt and moves to her seat. "I had some trouble getting ready."

Keith glares at her and rolls his eyes. "Our third-most senior member, everyone."

She turns up her nose at him as she lowers herself into the chair. "If you must know, I was spending time with my fiancé."

The other council members glance at her, and then glance at Gerald. They then turn back towards her with confused expressions.

"Prince Gerald was punctual," states Lord Ascart. The corners of his lips are ever-so-slightly turned-down.

"I had to get changed afterwards," she offers. Their inquisitive expressions don't abate. If anything, at her phrasing, they only intensify.

Gerald sighs and nods. "My fiancée, despite my warnings, made the mistake of training in her dress."

"Training?" inquires Sirius, silver eyes alight with curiosity.

Katarina holds out a gloved hand to interject. "It is a private matt—"

"Sword fighting," Prince Gerald interrupts. He turns to her with an all-too-innocent smile.

She feels her eye twitch as she lowers her hand. Touché, Gerald.

"Sword fighting!?" exclaims Keith, looking at her with concern. He then turns toward Gerald with an indignant expression. "You're teaching her how to use a sword?"

"I don't see why it concerns you what I do," she snipes.

He faces her, dark blue eyes wide. "Concerns me? Considering what you did with a wooden one, I—"

"Councilman, please!" interrupts Sirius. "We have gotten far enough off track."

Keith glares at him, but Sirius' grin doesn't waver. Something about it sends a shiver down her spine.

Lord Ascart breaks the tension. "Where is Miss Campbell?"

Katarina turns towards the light mage's seat. It is indeed empty.

"Oh, yeah. That's a good point," says Alan, "Shouldn't she be here by now?"

"Perhaps she has finally realized that a commoner simply does not belong in such a prestigious position?" she offers, trying to not seem too happy at the thought. Judging by the frowns of the other council members (bar the President, who looks as chipper as ever), she doesn't do a good job.

Keith looks at her suspiciously. "Did you do something to her?"

"No." Not directly, at least. "I have not seen her since my Theory of Magic lecture earlier today."

Keith leans back in his chair, but his suspicious glare does not abate.

"I will go check on her," says Gerald.

He pushes out his chair and moves to his feet, only to reel back in surprise as he finds his fiancée standing next to him.

"I will go as well, Prince Gerald," she replies, smiling at him sweetly.

She isn't about to let the two of them meet alone if she can help it. Especially considering what day it is.

Prince Gerald stares at her with a strange expression. After several moments appraising her, he opens his mouth to speak.

"Ah! That won't be necessary!" interrupts the commoner as she rushes through the door.

The third prince is once again startled as he finds the space next to him empty. He furrows his brow in confusion as he turns and sees his fiancée now back at her seat. "How did—"

"Thank you, Prince Gerald. Thank you, Lady Claes," says the commoner, nodding at each as she says their name.

Gerald's glances between the light mage and his fiancée before frowning and lowering himself into his seat.

"What kept you, councilwoman?" offers Lord Ascart, his stoic face showing just a hint of concern. "It's not like you to be late."

Katarina grits her teeth. Look at them, fawning over her already! And the audacity of Lord Ascart's remark! She will not overlook his barb.

It's only when she sees what's in the commoner's hands – or rather, what isn't – that her anger fades.

She fights back a grin as the light mage moves to her seat, nary a basket in sight. Her plan worked. Without her cooking, the others will not as easily fall to the peasant's charms. Perhaps she will even be able to prevent Gerald from breaking off the engagement!

Her mind screeches to a halt. Wait. Doesn't she want him to break off the engagement?

She shakes her head and pushes the thought aside. Whatever. It is irrelevant. The less that blonde harlot has to use against her, the better.

"Ah, sorry for being late," says the light mage as she pulls out her chair. "I just had trouble remembering where the chambers were."

It's an obvious lie, and everyone knows it. The chambers are in the central building just off to the side of the main hallway, clearly marked by signs. Unless someone spontaneously lost all sense of direction, they'd be able to find them with ease.

Keith and Gerald both frown. No-one challenges her on it, however, as it's clearly a matter she doesn't want to discuss.

"President," Katarina says, moving onto more pressing matters. "What is our first item of business?"

Sirius tilts his head to look at a slip of paper laid out in front of him. "Ah. That would be the division of students for the practical magic exams later this year."

"I'm glad you brought that up, actually," says Keith, leaning forwards in his chair. "Why are we grouping by grades? Does it really matter how well someone did on the placement exams?"

"Well, I think it's an excellent idea," she fires back, knowing that his objection must somehow relate to her unexpected performance.

Keith looks at her with an annoyed expression. "Would you actually listen to what I'm saying before you automatically oppose it?"

Her confidence wavers at his muted response. Is there something she's missing?

"Perhaps it would be best to clarify," offers Sirius. "In the past, students have been divided by year and sorted into groups of sixteen based on past exam performance. These groups of sixteen are then subdivided into groups of four, also based on exam scores."

She blinks. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"Well, the faculty has asked us to review whether the group subdivision is actually necessary, seeing as there's no way to enforce it once students have entered the testing grounds in the ruins." He pauses and brings a finger to his chin as his smile actually drops for a moment. "They gave us a fair bit of latitude in this matter, actually. If we wanted, we could probably even add arbitrary students to each test group, regardless of their grades."

"I still don't see the issue," she replies, a bit less forcefully this time. "Okay, the groupings can't be enforced inside the ruins. Why does that matter?"

"I agree with Lady Claes," says Gerald. "There's no reason to abolish group subdivision. What should be changed is the number of members in each group."

"And what would you suggest?" asks Alan, glaring at him for some reason.

Gerald smiles. "Three."

Keith frowns at that. "Of course you would."

Katarina finds it all very confusing. Why are they getting so worked up over a number?

"Sixteen is not evenly divisible by three," says Lord Ascart. "We would have students left over."

"We could simply have a single group of two or four in each test group," Gerald offers.

Lord Ascart shakes his head. "Would that not complicate test scoring? A case could be made that the uneven group would be graded unfairly."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Lady Ascart speaks up to affirm her brother's decision. "I agree," she states quietly. "Groups should be divided evenly."

"Um, I don't really mind either way," chimes the light mage, clearly uncomfortable with the conflict. "I'll vote for whatever everyone else decides."

Gerald's smile sags ever-so-slightly. The discussion is clearly not heading in the direction he'd hoped. "Very well. I withdraw my suggestion."

"Perhaps we could shrink the group size to two?" Keith offers. "I think that would be a compromise all parties could agree with." He then turns toward her, as if expecting her to concur.

Why is everyone treating this like a big issue? For that matter, what gives Keith the audacity to expect her support? She doesn't really understand the conflict, but that alone is enough for her to come to a decision.

"No," she replies, practically hissing at him. "Four is fine."

Keith looks as though he wants to strangle her. "Are you even listening to me?"

"You heard my fiancée," Gerald interrupts, looking extremely amused for some reason. He then turns toward Sirius. "Mister President, it appears there is a consensus for maintaining the subdivision of groups by four."

Sirius looks around the table and grins. His eyes linger on Katarina for an uncomfortable moment. Then the moment passes, and he raises his gavel. "All in favor?"

Everyone except Keith raises their hands. "Aye!"

"All opposed?"

Keith crosses his arms. "I abstain," he hisses, sending a glare her way.

Why is he so upset with her? Katarina does not understand it at all. It's just a number.

"The ayes have it." Sirius slams the gavel down. "Now, onto our next item of business..."

At the conclusion of the council meeting, as Katarina is walking out the door, someone shoves her. Hard.

She stumbles forwards and drops the papers she's holding, but quickly regains her footing and spins around to give the assailant a piece of her mind.

The words die on her lips when she sees who it is.

Keith stares at his hands, looking shocked. He recovers quickly, however, and shoots her a hateful glare before turning down the hall and continuing after the others.

Katarina's blood runs cold. Never in her life, neither in this one or the last, has her so-called 'brother' dared raise a hand against her before. She has grown accustomed to thinking of him as the sniveling boy crying in the rain as she brought her toy sword down on him again and again. That Keith had never retaliated against her. She never even considered that he could retaliate against her.

However, she is not dealing with that Keith. The boy who cried and begged for forgiveness is a distant memory. No, she is dealing with the Keith of the present, heir-apparent to the Claes family, whom her father (in his foolishness) hand-picked for his prodigious command of Earth magic. That Keith very clearly hates her as much as she hates him.

An inky feeling of dread crawls up her chest as she watches him disappear around the corner. It appears Prince Gerald is not the only threat she has to watch out for.
"Ah! Councilwoman! You are late."

Katarina pants lightly as she hitches up her skirt and moves to her seat. "I had some trouble getting ready."

Keith glares at her and rolls his eyes. "Our third-most senior member, everyone."

She turns up her nose at him as she lowers herself into the chair. "If you must know, I was spending time with my fiancé."

The other council members glance at her, and then glance at Gerald. They then turn back towards her with confused expressions.

"Prince Gerald was punctual," states Lord Ascart. The corners of his lips are ever-so-slightly turned-down.

"I had to get changed afterwards," she offers. Their inquisitive expressions don't abate. If anything, at her phrasing, they only intensify.

Gerald sighs and nods. "My fiancée, despite my warnings, made the mistake of training in her dress."

"Training?" inquires Sirius, silver eyes alight with curiosity.

Katarina holds out a gloved hand to interject. "It is a private matt—"

"Sword fighting," Prince Gerald interrupts. He turns to her with an all-too-innocent smile.

She feels her eye twitch as she lowers her hand. Touché, Gerald.

"Sword fighting!?" exclaims Keith, looking at her with concern. He then turns toward Gerald with an indignant expression. "You're teaching her how to use a sword?"

"I don't see why it concerns you what I do," she snipes.

He faces her, dark blue eyes wide. "Concerns me? Considering what you did with a wooden one, I—"

"Councilman, please!" interrupts Sirius. "We have gotten far enough off track."

Keith glares at him, but Sirius' grin doesn't waver. Something about it sends a shiver down her spine.

Lord Ascart breaks the tension. "Where is Miss Campbell?"

Katarina turns towards the light mage's seat. It is indeed empty.

"Oh, yeah. That's a good point," says Alan, "Shouldn't she be here by now?"

"Perhaps she has finally realized that a commoner simply does not belong in such a prestigious position?" she offers, trying to not seem too happy at the thought. Judging by the frowns of the other council members (bar the President, who looks as chipper as ever), she doesn't do a good job.

Keith looks at her suspiciously. "Did you do something to her?"

"No." Not directly, at least. "I have not seen her since my Theory of Magic lecture earlier today."

Keith leans back in his chair, but his suspicious glare does not abate.

"I will go check on her," says Gerald.

He pushes out his chair and moves to his feet, only to reel back in surprise as he finds his fiancée standing next to him.

"I will go as well, Prince Gerald," she replies, smiling at him sweetly.

She isn't about to let the two of them meet alone if she can help it. Especially considering what day it is.

Prince Gerald stares at her with a strange expression. After several moments appraising her, he opens his mouth to speak.

"Ah! That won't be necessary!" interrupts the commoner as she rushes through the door.

The third prince is once again startled as he finds the space next to him empty. He furrows his brow in confusion as he turns and sees his fiancée now back at her seat. "How did—"

"Thank you, Prince Gerald. Thank you, Lady Claes," says the commoner, nodding at each as she says their name.

Gerald's glances between the light mage and his fiancée before frowning and lowering himself into his seat.

"What kept you, councilwoman?" offers Lord Ascart, his stoic face showing just a hint of concern. "It's not like you to be late."

Katarina grits her teeth. Look at them, fawning over her already! And the audacity of Lord Ascart's remark! She will not overlook his barb.

It's only when she sees what's in the commoner's hands – or rather, what isn't – that her anger fades.

She fights back a grin as the light mage moves to her seat, nary a basket in sight. Her plan worked. Without her cooking, the others will not as easily fall to the peasant's charms. Perhaps she will even be able to prevent Gerald from breaking off the engagement!

Her mind screeches to a halt. Wait. Doesn't she want him to break off the engagement?

She shakes her head and pushes the thought aside. Whatever. It is irrelevant. The less that blonde harlot has to use against her, the better.

"Ah, sorry for being late," says the light mage as she pulls out her chair. "I just had trouble remembering where the chambers were."

It's an obvious lie, and everyone knows it. The chambers are in the central building just off to the side of the main hallway, clearly marked by signs. Unless someone spontaneously lost all sense of direction, they'd be able to find them with ease.

Keith and Gerald both frown. No-one challenges her on it, however, as it's clearly a matter she doesn't want to discuss.

"President," Katarina says, moving onto more pressing matters. "What is our first item of business?"

Sirius tilts his head to look at a slip of paper laid out in front of him. "Ah. That would be the division of students for the practical magic exams later this year."

"I'm glad you brought that up, actually," says Keith, leaning forwards in his chair. "Why are we grouping by grades? Does it really matter how well someone did on the placement exams?"

"Well, I think it's an excellent idea," she fires back, knowing that his objection must somehow relate to her unexpected performance.

Keith looks at her with an annoyed expression. "Would you actually listen to what I'm saying before you automatically oppose it?"

Her confidence wavers at his muted response. Is there something she's missing?

"Perhaps it would be best to clarify," offers Sirius. "In the past, students have been divided by year and sorted into groups of sixteen based on past exam performance. These groups of sixteen are then subdivided into groups of four, also based on exam scores."

She blinks. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"Well, the faculty has asked us to review whether the group subdivision is actually necessary, seeing as there's no way to enforce it once students have entered the testing grounds in the ruins." He pauses and brings a finger to his chin as his smile actually drops for a moment. "They gave us a fair bit of latitude in this matter, actually. If we wanted, we could probably even add arbitrary students to each test group, regardless of their grades."

"I still don't see the issue," she replies, a bit less forcefully this time. "Okay, the groupings can't be enforced inside the ruins. Why does that matter?"

"I agree with Lady Claes," says Gerald. "There's no reason to abolish group subdivision. What should be changed is the number of members in each group."

"And what would you suggest?" asks Alan, glaring at him for some reason.

Gerald smiles. "Three."

Keith frowns at that. "Of course you would."

Katarina finds it all very confusing. Why are they getting so worked up over a number?

"Sixteen is not evenly divisible by three," says Lord Ascart. "We would have students left over."

"We could simply have a single group of two or four in each test group," Gerald offers.

Lord Ascart shakes his head. "Would that not complicate test scoring? A case could be made that the uneven group would be graded unfairly."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the Lady Ascart speaks up to affirm her brother's decision. "I agree," she states quietly. "Groups should be divided evenly."

"Um, I don't really mind either way," chimes the light mage, clearly uncomfortable with the conflict. "I'll vote for whatever everyone else decides."

Gerald's smile sags ever-so-slightly. The discussion is clearly not heading in the direction he'd hoped. "Very well. I withdraw my suggestion."

"Perhaps we could shrink the group size to two?" Keith offers. "I think that would be a compromise all parties could agree with." He then turns toward her, as if expecting her to concur.

Why is everyone treating this like a big issue? For that matter, what gives Keith the audacity to expect her support? She doesn't really understand the conflict, but that alone is enough for her to come to a decision.

"No," she replies, practically hissing at him. "Four is fine."

Keith looks as though he wants to strangle her. "Are you even listening to me?"

"You heard my fiancée," Gerald interrupts, looking extremely amused for some reason. He then turns toward Sirius. "Mister President, it appears there is a consensus for maintaining the subdivision of groups by four."

Sirius looks around the table and grins. His eyes linger on Katarina for an uncomfortable moment. Then the moment passes, and he raises his gavel. "All in favor?"

Everyone except Keith raises their hands. "Aye!"

"All opposed?"

Keith crosses his arms. "I abstain," he hisses, sending a glare her way.

Why is he so upset with her? Katarina does not understand it at all. It's just a number.

"The ayes have it." Sirius slams the gavel down. "Now, onto our next item of business..."

At the conclusion of the council meeting, as Katarina is walking out the door, someone shoves her. Hard.

She stumbles forwards and drops the papers she's holding, but quickly regains her footing and spins around to give the assailant a piece of her mind.

The words die on her lips when she sees who it is.

Keith stares at his hands, looking shocked. He recovers quickly, however, and shoots her a hateful glare before turning down the hall and continuing after the others.

Katarina's blood runs cold. Never in her life, neither in this one or the last, has her so-called 'brother' dared raise a hand against her before. She has grown accustomed to thinking of him as the sniveling boy crying in the rain as she brought her toy sword down on him again and again. That Keith had never retaliated against her. She never even considered that he could retaliate against her.

However, she is not dealing with that Keith. The boy who cried and begged for forgiveness is a distant memory. No, she is dealing with the Keith of the present, heir-apparent to the Claes family, whom her father (in his foolishness) hand-picked for his prodigious command of Earth magic. That Keith very clearly hates her as much as she hates him.

An inky feeling of dread crawls up her chest as she watches him disappear around the corner. It appears Prince Gerald is not the only threat she has to watch out for.

Notes
This was a way more dialogue-heavy chapter than I'm used to. But I suppose that's only fitting, considering the subject matter.

One of my questions coming into this chapter was how the hell that exam where they go into the ruins in the anime worked. Like, why would the first years be taking this exam with a single second year (Nicol) at the same time, and why was Bakarina there with them? This lead to the only obvious conclusion: The student council abused the hell out of the rules so they could all be with Bakarina. Thus, the genesis of the idea behind the second half of this chapter.

Notice Katarina's mistake?

Last edited:
Katarina, Gerard, uh.... Alan and Maria? I dunno, Allen know was she was first, right?
Basically, Keith and Big G are both going for Maria. G Man wanted the teams set at 3, so that he would get Maria on his team (and Katarina, but he didn't care about that detail at the moment). Keith tries to suggest it at 2, which would put Katarina with Gerard and Maria with Alan, someone who was not courting her. He expected Katarina to go with that so she could get alone time with Gerard, but got blindsided by her refusal.

Chapter 6: Dissonance
Chapter 6: Dissonance

Katarina sits down at her desk and picks up a quill with shaking hand. How has she been so blind? Even if she's able to defuse the Gerald situation, Keith is a clear and evident threat. Her mind flashes back to images of her step-brother's growing hostility throughout the last semester of her life. She had paid little mind to it at the time, but now it's quite clear what happened.

She almost crushes the quill beneath her grip. It all comes back to her. She is why her betrothed gave up any pretense of interest. She is why her 'brother' turned against her. In every outcome, in every relationship, Maria Campbell is the architect of her misery.

Perhaps she's misjudged the commoner. She had thought the insipid crybaby's behavior was genuine, but all the evidence points to a far darker truth: Katarina's suffering is not an incidental result of the peasant's actions, but a direct and intended outcome of it.

Yet as much as she wants to throw herself into this narrative, a single image gives her pause: Katarina, dying on the ground, as Campbell attempts to stitch her broken body back together. Were the tears that rolled down her face false? For whose benefit? It's not like Campbell needed to convince her. She was a dead woman.

She shakes her head violently, as if trying to throw off the traitorous thoughts. No. That had to be false. Katarina had given her no reason to cry. With her gone, that blonde homewrecker could have her way with whatever man she wants. There was no reason she should've felt sad. Katarina certainly would not have, if their roles had been reversed.

That last thought is meant to be comforting, but it makes her chest hurt even more.

In a fit of rage, she sweeps an arm across her desk, sending paper, ink, quills, and textbooks all crashing to the ground. She stands over the wooden surface, breathing heavily. No. No! She will not fall for her act! She will not let herself be manipulated!

"My lady?"

Katarina feels herself deflate.

"Anne," she replies, not turning around.

There's a long silence.

"Would you like me to clean that up?" Anne eventually offers.

She nods, still not turning to her maid.

There's another long pause.

"Earlier, I told you that it did not matter whether or not I believed you, as I would support you either way."

Katarina nods. She remembers.

"That was not a lie. But I never did answer your question."

Katarina sighs as she finally turns to face her loyal servant. She places a hand on her hip and says, "I'm not dim, Anne. No-one would believe a story like that."

"Indeed, I did not. At the time, I thought you were suffering from the stress of being away from your mother."

Katarina raises an eyebrow. "You're using past tense."

Anne bows her head. "Lady Claes, I have lived with you since you barely reached my knee." She raises her head, and her brown eyes are filled with determination. "You would not go through all this if it were just a nightmare."

Katarina feels any trace of anger leave her body as she looks at her maid's resolute expression. A warm feeling spreads from her chest. It's the same as when Sienna stood up against the third prince for her.

"Truly?" she almost whispers. "You really believe me?"

"Yes."

Anne's determination falters for only a moment as her charge leaps towards her and envelops her in a crushing hug.

Katarina blubbers apologies as she sobs into the woman's pristine uniform. The maid, for her part, does not resist her embrace.

Anne smells of clean linens and upholstery. It's a nostalgic smell for Katarina. For a moment, she's eight again, running to the comfort of the woman she considers a big sister. The moment soon passes, however, and Katarina (somewhat reluctantly) pulls away.

Katarina sniffles a bit as she wipes away the tears, but very quickly feels herself break out into a grin.

Her faithful maid looks at her at her in surprise, and she feels her expression fall. "Anne? Are you alright?"

"I've never seen you smile like that before…" she mutters. Then her eyes widen, and she clasps her hands together and falls into a bow. "Apologies, Lady Claes. I was out of line."

"Nonsense," she says, waving her hand. Then, a strange thought occurs to her. "Actually, would you please call me Katarina from now on?"

Anne looks up with a start, shock etched on her normally-stoic features. "Lady Claes?"

She once again waves her hand dismissively. "I'm serious. You said it yourself: You've known me since I barely reached your knee. I think you've earned the right to use my first name."

Anne shakes her head as she returns to her feet. "I cannot do that, Lady Claes. It would be improper of me to address you an equal."

Katarina rolls her eyes. "Fine. How about 'Lady Katarina' then?"

Anne opens her mouth as if to object, but her eyes flit to the side as she seems to ponder the suggestion for a moment. After a while she simply closes her eyes and nods her head. "If you insist, Lady Katarina."

She feels herself grin as the words leave Anne's mouth. Something just feels right about hearing Anne call her that.

Anne opens her eyes, and she's once the ever-composed and poised maid. "Now then, Lady Katarina. Please allow me to clean up the mess on the floor."

Katarina nods sheepishly as she steps out of the maid's way. "Right. Sorry about that, Anne."

The maid hesitates for a moment, and looks at her strangely. Eventually she replies, "There is no need to apologize, Lady Katarina. I am simply doing my duty."

Anne moves past her and begins to pick up her discarded desk toppings off the carpet.

Katarina frowns as she watches Anne work. Anne is right, of course, but she still feels guilty knowing that the maid has to clean up after her mess. Part of her wonders if there's anything she can do to make up for it.

Her eyes widen. Is this how that harpy ensnares her victims? By putting herself in situations where they can swoop in like gallant knights and 'save' her, and then ensnaring them using the sense of obligation that follows? How diabolical! No wonder she'd made no progress against her in the last life, she had been unwittingly playing into her trap!

It makes far too much sense to be a coincidence, either. Every aspect of her is tailored to play into the prince charming fantasy. Her pretty blue eyes, the pink flowers she weaves into her short blonde hair, the modest yet fetching dress she wears, and her oh-so-innocent aura of martyr-like purity: All of it is an act! A play! One where Katarina had unwittingly cast herself as the villainess!

She wants to kick herself for not seeing it before. She was ready to sic Sienna and the others on her tomorrow, throwing her position to the wayside for a cheap shot at revenge! Not only would she have lost the power she'd been trying so desperately to keep, but she would've done nothing but crawl into the light mage's snare!

She quickly asks Anne to tell her the date, and the maid rattles it off as she lifts her assorted textbooks and papers off the floor.

Katarina breathes a sigh of relief as she realizes how narrowly she's avoided disaster. Tomorrow is a day she remembers quite well. She can just avoid the incident entirely, and perhaps Keith won't—

She freezes. The others have been given explicit orders to keep her out of the loop. She has emphasized how important it is that she has no (traceable) knowledge of whatever actions they plan to take against Maria Campbell. If it's anything like last time, it's very likely Sienna and the others have already made plans. Only this time, she would not be a participant.

Her heart sinks. She can't just send a letter to Sienna. Any appearance of foreknowledge will implicate her, and the last thing she needs is to leave a paper trail for that peasant's hounds to sniff out.

Instead, Katarina moves to the door. "I'm going out, Anne. I'll be back soon."

The maid looks at her with a resigned expression. "As you wish, Lady Claes."

She pauses as her hand brushes against the worn metal of the handle.

Anne realizes her mistake and bows. "Apologies, Lady Katarina. Force of habit."

She nods, pushes the door open, and then hitches up her skirt as she rushes out into the hallway.

Sienna opens her eyes as the sound of knocking echoes through the room. She leans up from the textbook her face is buried in and rubs her eyes. Evidently, she'd fallen asleep while reviewing cruciform rune theory. She looks up at the window. It's still night, so at least she knows she hasn't slept in.

She groggily makes her way to the door as the incessant knocking continues. At this rate, it's going to wake up everyone on her hall. She supposes that it's not very surprising, then, when she pulls open the door and finds a somewhat disheveled-looking Katarina Claes standing in front of her.

She jerks back as Lady Katarina's fist goes flying towards her face. It appears she opened the door too abruptly. Thankfully, the lady manages to reel it back before impact, saving Sienna from the difficulty of explaining a new black eye. However, her relief is short-lived, as the firstborn daughter of House Claes immediately accosts her.

"You have to call off whatever you're planning to do that peasant tomorrow!"

Sienna feels her jaw drop as she hears those words. "Pardon?"

"Look, tomorrow you'll all go after Maria Campbell and get back at her for lording her position on the student council over everyone even though she's a commoner, right? But then Mirabelle will assault her with fire magic which will cause Keith to fall for that harlot's trap and 'save' her which she'll use to turn him against me!"

Sienna blinks as the lady rattles off word after word like a town crier relaying an excessively gauche pronouncement. When Lady Katarina finally pauses to take a breath, she interjects.

"What do you mean?" she exclaims, not understanding her friend's babble.

Lady Katarina looks exasperated. "You can't attack Maria Campbell! You shouldn't at all, but especially not tomorrow! You'll be giving her what she wants!"

"I thought you said we just couldn't include you?"

She nods rapidly. "That's what I thought, but her plan's way more devious than that. If you keep going after her directly, she'll use that to get everyone to fight against me!"

She's quiet for some time. Lady Katarina is telling her to not go after Maria Campbell?

"Lady Katarina," she eventually says. "Are you afraid of her?"

The brunette shrinks back at that. She doesn't meet her eyes as she mumbles, "N-No, it's just that—"

Her eyes widen. "You are."

It makes Sienna hate that disgusting wretch even more. Yet at that moment, her anger is not directed at the light mage, but the woman in front of her.

"Were you not the one who told me to always hold my head high with pride, Katarina Claes?" she shouts. "Is this some kind of joke?"

A bead of sweat forms on the lady's head as she holds up her hands in a placating gesture. "We can still go after her, we just need to be cleverer. It's proven way more effective anyway! I was able to stop her from—"

"I've heard enough of this," Sienna growls, and turns to head back into her room.

She feels an arm fall on her back. She turns towards its owner. "What?"

"Sienna, please! I'm trying to help you!"

She grits her teeth at the insincere remark. With a swift motion of her hand, she slaps the lady's hand away.

"I don't need help from a coward."

She feels a tinge of regret as the lady's features twist up in hurt. It's very quickly replaced by something much more familiar, however.

Rage.

Only, Sienna has never seen it directed at her before.

"Fine then," Lady Claes hisses, expression dark and hateful. "I should not have expected anything different from a worthless person like you."

She takes off down the hallway, and Sienna shouts off curses as she slams the door shut after her.

She angrily strides over to her desk and falls into the seat, staring intently at the textbook as if it holds the answers to her predicament.

It's only when wet spots start appearing on the pages below that she realizes she's crying.

Notes
This was an interesting chapter to write. Took off in a different direction than I was expecting, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

You guys remember when Katarina had two mostly-positive relationships? Those were the days...

Last edited:
Welcome to crossposting on SV!

I suspect you'll get less responces, but it's still nice to see it here. :D

Chapter 7: Superposition
Chapter 7: Superposition

When Maria Campbell was younger, she thought that if she did the right thing and tried to be a good person, good things would come to her. After all, isn't that how things are supposed to work? People who work hard and are good to other people are rewarded, eventually.

Even as her faith began to waver after her powers manifested, she clung to that mantra. It didn't matter that the townspeople looked at her with a mixture of awe and fear, that her once-loving father left the house and never returned, or that her mother could no longer look her in the eyes. As long as she worked hard and never complained, the world would one day reward her diligence.

And even as that belief began to crumble, she held onto her final hope: Once she was enrolled at the magic academy, she wouldn't stand out. She'd be like everyone else.

It hurts to realize how naïve she's been.

In many ways, she stands out even more than she did back in her old town. As a light mage and a commoner, she is separated by the invisible walls of status and ability. Girls descend upon her like moths drawn to a flame, decrying her as a peasant or implying her abilities give her an unfair edge. Even those who try to be kind or sympathetic to her see her as something different, like a rare flower that needs to be protected.

The student council isn't any different. She was excited when she realized she had won a seat upon it, and hoped she could become friends with the other council members. Those hopes were quickly dashed. The council chambers always exude a dreadful atmosphere, and no-one but Sirius stays after meetings. There's so much bad blood between the different members of the council, and Maria doesn't understand any of it. Why can't they just get along?

That's why she had the idea to go bake some treats for them all. It's so foolish in retrospect, of course. Her cooking wouldn't stand up to the professional chefs and artisans the nobles are accustomed to. Honestly, she's grateful that she hadn't been able to go through with it: It saved her the embarrassment of bringing back yet another batch of untouched sweets.

It's a painful realization, but she's not going to be making any friends here. Perhaps this is just her fate; the burden of one born with the power of light. It's not at all a comforting thought, but she knows that's just the selfish part of her talking.

One of the kitchen staff gives her a sympathetic look as he places some extra food on her plate. She tries to object, but the man refuses to hear it, so she somewhat sheepishly takes the extra food. She misses cooking her own lunches, but it would be selfish of her to impose on the staff when she has already caused them so much trouble.

She looks around the dining hall and frowns. She knows she doesn't belong at any of these tables. They're nobility, and she's a commoner.

"Ah, Miss Campbell!" calls out Lord Keith, clearly trying to wave her over to his table.

She nods in his direction, but continues walking toward the hallway.

She enjoys Lord Keith's company (when he's not accosting her), but it's blatantly obvious his motives are impure. The school's resident Casanova simply sees her as his latest plaything. Despite his ill-fated attempts at seduction, his interest continues to rise. Although she occasionally catches glimpses of another side of him: One that's far softer and sympathetic than the playboy image he tries so hard to project. In those fleeting moments, she wonders if he truly understands. The moments never last long, though. A few seconds later he'll be leaning far too close to her face and setting her heart aflame with that charming playboy smile. Inevitably, she'll break away and run, face red with embarrassment.

She glances around the hallway, hoping that nobody sees the pink spreading across her cheeks. She really doesn't understand nobles at all!

Prince Gerald also seems to have taken an interest in her, and it's hard to deny the way her heart flutters at his charming smile. As she recalls the scene that preceded her first meeting with him, she ducks her head in embarrassment. It was beyond humiliating to look over her shoulder and see the prince standing behind her just as she'd begun to straddle the base of that oak tree. Even before he introduced himself as a royal, her heart had sunk at his ornate appearance. Yet after she explained herself, he'd simply smiled and offered to direct her to the dorms. In the days since, the third prince has been a helpful and friendly presence to her, always willing to answer her questions and explain whatever she doesn't understand.

She shakes her head as she steps into the sunlight of the gardens. Honestly, this school is going to give her a heart attack.

As she sits down at a bench and begins to pick at her food, her thoughts turn to the other half of the Claes siblings: Katarina Claes. She is truly a woman from an entirely different world. Her sharp features and blue eyes hold a cold beauty, like a flower covered in icy rime. She is elegant, cutting, and composed; the ultimate example of a noblewoman. Though, if you believe the rumors, she's also a touch mad.

Maria isn't quite sure what to make of her. She acts civil enough during council proceedings, but Maria sees the way the noblewoman glares and frowns at her when she thinks she isn't looking. It makes her feel awful, though she's not quite certain why the lady seems so upset with her. Is it because Gerald has been spending so much time around her? Yet he's already agreed to marry Lady Claes, hasn't he? In that case, she can't see why the noble lady has anything to worry about. No matter how she feels about the third prince, it's clear his heart is already taken. Still, she wonders if there's something she can do to assuage the lady's fears.

It's for that reason that she doesn't see the group of noblewomen approach her until it's far too late.

She squeaks as her lunch goes flying out of her hands. The porcelain plate smashes against the ground, smearing the contents of her meal across the grass. She looks up and sees several women surrounding her, all clothed in elegant garb. She recognizes most of them, although she's never seen them all in one place before.

"Oh no! How clumsy of me!" mocks a blonde woman wearing her hair in loops that part to the side. She gestures at what's left of the commoner's lunch, resting among the dirt, and her posse snickers behind her. All aim glares at the light mage that leave no doubt of the intention behind the 'accident.'

"Come now, I've made it much easier for a lowly commoner like you!" the woman continues. "Eat up!" Her words are stilted, as though she's attempting to imitate someone she's heard before.

Maria looks down at the ruined meal with dull eyes, her expression blank. When she first arrived at the academy, she'd be shocked by these 'accidents.' She'd cry out and make pained pleas for her tormentors to stop. But quickly – far too quickly – she has adjusted to them. It's almost routine at this point. She knows she should feel upset or outraged, but all she feels is a sinking emptiness.

"What, do you think you're too good to grace us with a response?" another replies. This one is wearing a simple blue dress. "Just because you're on the student council, you think you're better than us?"

"N-No!" Maria exclaims, looking up at her. "That's not it at all!"

From the twisted grin that spreads across her accuser's face, she realizes she should've stayed quiet.

Another woman speaks, one with short black hair and a matching dress. "Don't get full of yourself just because you have light magic!"

"You're still just a commoner urchin!" adds one in a red dress.

"I truly pity the members of the student council that have to look after you," says the blonde one.

"I bet your score on the test was biased because your light magic is so special," says the one in a cyan dress.

She tries to ignore their baseless insults, but can barely hold back tears.

The one in the black dress steps toward her. "I can't stand to look at you." She raises her hand above her head and the air above her palm erupts into flame.

The blonde noblewoman turns towards the fire mage in surprise, eyes flitting to the flame dancing above her palm, but she doesn't say anything.

"Since you're so ugly already," the fire mage taunts, a dangerous glint in her eyes as she extends her hand towards the commoner's head, "consider this a favor."

Maria can only gasp in shock and stare at the flames in shock as the heat brushes against her face. Her instincts are screaming at her to run, to scream; to do anything but sit there uselessly. Yet she finds herself stunned by the fire mage's hatred. Has she been too selfish, wanting to come to this place where she very clearly doesn't belong? Is this punishment for her greed?

Slap!

Maria feels the fire go out.

Lady Claes cradles her stinging hand as she glares daggers at fire mage. Then, as realization hits her, she looks at her own arm in astonishment. Maria locks tearful eyes with her rescuer for a moment, but Lady Claes immediately turns away.

The fire mage looks at the brunette noblewoman in utter confusion as she nurses the palm-shaped mark on her cheek. The rest of her posse seem similarly befuddled.

Lady Claes recomposes herself quickly and grabs the fire mage by the ear, dragging her away like a misbehaving school girl. She then turns to face the rest of the posse, and judging by the way their faces blanch, puts on a truly bone-chilling glare.

"We are leaving," she commands. The tone of her voice makes it clear the matter is not up for debate.

The other members of the group shrink back from her glare and nod enthusiastically, evidently too confused to argue.

Yet as they all turn away, and even as she holds back tears, Maria feels the urge to thank the lady for her kindness.

"L-Lady Claes," she calls out.

The noblewoman turns her head, and for a moment, Maria wonders if she's misread the situation. The brunette looks quite irritated with her, after all. Still, she works up the courage to say her feelings.

"Thank y—"

She shouts as the ground beneath her suddenly shifts and rumbles, sending pillars of earth out to surround her. She feels herself being lifted into the air as the ground rises, the mass of soil below twisting and warping into a recognizable form. The shifting mound of dirt – now recognizable as a gigantic earth golem - raises its foot and stomps it on the ground in a threatening display.

Every one of the girls below her looks terrified. Everyone but Lady Claes.

"You can cut the act, Keith!" she shouts, turning towards a seemingly random pillar on a nearby balcony. "I know it's you!"

The earth golem once again stomps threateningly, this time bringing its foot down closer to her rescuer. It's only due to the steadfast resolution of Lady Claes that the whole group doesn't scurry away.

Is this truly the work of Lord Keith? Maria knows he's a prodigy, but she's never seen earth magic at this scale before. Still, it would explain a lot. The two Claes siblings are clearly estranged. Lady Claes has also been rude to her in the past, so it's possible he misread the situation.

Maria swallows her fear. "Thank you, Lord Keith," she shouts, trusting Lady Claes' hunch, "but I'm okay now!"

The golem freezes in place.

Lady Claes seems surprised at her response, but quickly recovers. "That's right," she shouts at the pillar. "No need to play hero!"

The Claes heir finally steps out from his hiding spot, his outstretched hand shimmering with magic. He glances at Maria and glares at Lady Claes before making a downward motion with it.

Maria feels herself being lowered as the earth golem flows back into the soil below, until she eventually comes to rest on the ground. Lord Keith looks at her one last time before withdrawing his hand and dispelling the remnants of his magic.

Maria turns towards the brunette noblewoman, whose normally sharp features are dulled by confusion. She wipes her sleeve against her face to rid her tears, and then smiles, feeling oddly light despite the harrowing ordeal she just went through.

"Thank you, Lady Claes."

Her heart sinks when the lady's eyes narrow in response.

"Oh, the pleasure's all mine," she spits.

Confused, Maria can only watch as the lady drags the fire mage away, the rest of the posse following closely behind. She barely registers Lord Keith as he mumbles beside her.

"What is she scheming?"

As Katarina finally drags Mirabelle out of earshot of Maria and Keith, she practically throws the idiotic girl into an empty classroom.

"Lady Claes," begins Lady Nelson, looking at her with a strange expression. "How did you know that Mira—"

"Leave."

Lady Nelson blinks. "I'm sorry?"

Katarina nods. "You should be." She points down the hall. "Leave."

Lady Nelson looks at her with a hurt expression, but it quickly twists into anger. She balls her hands into fists and throws her arms to her sides.

"Fine!"

The blonde noblewoman stomps down the hallway as the remaining members of her posse watch in bewilderment.

"You three," Katarina commands. "Here." She points to the outside of the door.

The lackeys nod quickly and comply without hesitation. Good. They aren't completely stupid.

Katarina steps through the door and closes it behind her. She sighs as she latches it shut.

"What. Was. That."

Mirabelle clasps her hands together as she withers under her gaze. "I thought you would be pleased, Lady Claes! Do you not hate her as much as I do?"

"Pleased!? Are you daft!?" She calls on the intimidating glare she's honed through years of watching Mother scold Keith. "Did you put any thought into the consequences of your actions?"

Mirabelle's sweating now. "I-"

"Do not bother. It is clear you did not."

"I don't understand."

"You just committed aggravated assault!"

"W-What!?" Mirabelle whimpers. "But I didn't actually burn her!"

"No, you did not, and thank the gods for that," she says. "That would have been aggravated battery."

The noble shrinks back from her, eyes wide as though it is surprising to learn that attacking a commoner is considered a crime.

Katarina sighs and pinches her forehead. "Imagine if you will, what would have happened if you had burnt her. You successfully disfigure her for life. What then?"

Mirabelle goes pale. "I'd—"

"Go to jail, yes. Your status would not protect you from such a serious crime." Katarina paces around the terrified lackey like a viper as she continues. "And even if I cut you off and claimed no responsibility – and I would, by the way – none of us would escape association to your crime. Your actions would impact all our reputations."

"Forgive me, Lady Claes!" Mirabelle cries, dropping to her knees. "I do not know what came over me!"

Katarina brings a finger to her chin as she considers the woman's plea. On one hand, Mirabelle has clearly proven herself to be a liability. On the other hand, with things the way they are, can she really afford to cut Mirabelle off? If she punishes her too drastically, they may all think she's lost her nerve, and react as Lady Nelson did.

Katarina's grin widens as she realizes the perfect punishment for Mirabelle's transgression and her best chance at preventing the noble's idiocy from jeopardizing her plans. "It is not me you should be apologizing to," she states, looking down at the terrified woman like a snake eyeing its next meal. "It is her."

The terrified lackey looks up at her with pleading eyes. "L-Lady Claes, please—"

"In fact, why don't I come with you? After all, it would be awful if you got lost along the way."

Mirabelle goes pale as she realizes the gravity of her error.

Notes
Credit where credit's due: fmriver and Wavelet both totally called this turn of events on SpaceBattles. Congrats!

This chapter was a lot easier to make then the previous ones. Mostly because I was finally able to dip into that 3,000-4,000 word reserve of scenes and segments that had been rendered unusable without modification. A good chunk of this chapter comes from the same writing session as the first one (though altered significantly - it wasn't even in this POV before).

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Chapter 8: Oscillation
Chapter 8: Oscillation

Maria hears a knock on her door just as she finishes filling out a council form.

"Coming!" she calls.

As she pushes back from her desk and rises to her feet, she idly wonders who it can be. Has Prince Gerald come to invite her for an evening stroll? Or perhaps Lord Keith has embarked on another ill-fated attempt at seduction? She fights back a blush at the thought. She hopes not. Her heart can't take any more surprises today.

As if to taunt her arrogance, opening the door reveals none other than Lady Claes and the noblewoman that had attempted to disfigure her earlier.

Maria tries very hard to not faint on the spot.

"A-Ah. Lady Claes," she stutters, trying desperately to keep her voice even. "What can I do for you?"

The lady glances towards the woman standing beside her and shoves her forwards. As the black-haired noble stumbles toward Maria, she looks at her in disgust. Maria has trouble meeting her eyes.

"Mirabelle!" growls Lady Claes

The aforementioned noble glances over, only to blanch at Lady Claes' terrifying glare. In an instant, she's on the ground with her hands clasped above her head.

"I'm sorry!" the noble cries, sounding terrified for her life. "Can you ever forgive me, Miss Campbell?"

Maria's eyes widen. "Eh!?"

She turns towards Lady Claes, who's looking at the groveling noble with satisfaction. The brunette's smile quickly fades when she notices Maria's gaze.

"Well?" she says, gesturing towards the penitent noble with a gloved hand.

Maria turns back towards the woman, utterly bewildered. "I uh…"

She takes a deep breath. Focus.

She leans towards the black-haired woman and reaches down towards her. "Mirabelle, right?"

The kowtowing woman lifts her head and stares at the extended hand as if it's poisonous. It's only when she once again glances in Lady Claes' direction that she reaches out and grasps it. Maria then helps the woman to her feet. The noble seems astonished at what she's doing, and in truth, so is she. Still, she allows herself a smile.

"I-I'm surprised you're s-so strong," Mirabelle stutters.

She giggles at that. "I'm really not. But thank you anyway." She supposes it's just another difference between commoners and nobles.

The black-haired woman just gapes at her for a moment. Then, she clasps her hands together again and bows her head. "A-Anyway, please forgive me, Miss Campbell! I don't know what came over me! It will never happen again, I promise!"

It's Maria's turn to be astonished. This time, there's actual warmth to the noble's words. Not much, but it's there.

"I forgive you," she says, the words flowing out her mouth without prompt.

The woman – Mirabelle – raises her head, disbelief etched across her features. Her eyes widen when she sees Maria's face.

"Y-You're serious?"

Maria nods. The fear from earlier is still there, of course. She still remembers the heat rising against her face, the dark worries of whether or not her light magic would allow her to heal the damage as the flames danced in front of her eyes.

Yet the hate is gone from the woman's eyes. She isn't looking at her as someone to fear or despise. If forgiveness is all that's needed to clear the air between them, then Maria gives it gladly.

Mirabelle brings a hand to her face. "I… can't believe I… gods… what did I almost do?"

They're both quiet for some time. Eventually, Mirabelle clasps her hands together and bows.

"I must take my leave, Miss Campbell," she says, sniffing back tears. "You've given me a lot to think about."

With elegant poise, Mirabelle curtsies for the commoner she would've spit at just a few minutes ago, and exits the room.

Despite herself, Maria smiles.

"Impressive."

…And nearly jumps out of her skin at the sound of that voice. She'd almost forgotten about her other visitor.

The brunette in question is standing in the corner of her room with her hands on her hips. Her expression is unreadable. "I can see why everyone was pulled in by you. You've got this angelic, almost martyr-like charm."

Maria's face scrunches in confusion. "Thank you?"

The lady strides forwards and grabs her by the chin, careless of physical boundaries. Maria squeaks as she feels warmth rush to her cheeks. The lady is so close she can smell her perfume. As her heart threatens to leap out of her chest, she turns away from the lady's icy blue eyes

"It's not fair. Why couldn't I have been born with such nice features?"

There's a strange sensation in her chest at the sound of the lady's compliment, and Maria forces herself to pull away.

"T-Thank you," she stutters, still unable to meet the lady's eyes.

Maria can't help but wonder if all the members of the Claes household are this… enthusiastic about physical contact.

After a moment of silence, she finally works up the courage to look the lady in the face. "Ah, b-but you're not b-bad yourself."

The words slip out without thinking, and Maria immediately breaks eye contact. She feels mortified as blood once again rushes to her cheeks. What on Earth has gotten into her!?

"No. They all fell in love with you," replies Lady Claes. "Or is it 'fall?' These tenses are confusing."

Maria blinks as she meets the lady's gaze. "I don't understand."

Lady Claes shakes her head. "It doesn't matter. I have decided I want to break things off with Gerald anyway."

"Oh. I see."

For some strange reason, the idea excites her. She quashes the thought upon seeing the lady's scowl.

"I will not get in your way if you wish to pursue him. Or Keith for that matter. I still do not approve of him jeopardizing our family's future by marrying across social lines, but it is clear I will not be able to stop him from courting you."

Maria giggles nervously. "'Courting' is a generous way to put it…" A thought then occurs to her. "Is that why the two of you are on bad terms?"

She realizes she's made a mistake when Lady Claes gives her the most bone-chilling glare yet. "That is none of your concern," she hisses.

Maria shrinks back, holding her hands in a placating gesture. "Sorry! Sorry! Forget I asked!"

There's a long period of silence that follows as Lady Claes looks at her with derision. Maria struggles to choose her next words. The lady's catty eyes are quite daunting, and it's hard to keep from turning away.

"Lady Claes, if I may, why have you not broken the engagement with Prince Gerald yet?"

She realizes a little too late that it may not have been the wisest move to follow a personal question with another personal question, so she's relieved to see Lady Claes' features soften.

"I have tried. He refuses, claiming he wishes to use me as a shield to deflect potential suitors."

Maria feels outrage pour from her chest. "That's awful!"

Lady Claes tilts her head. "Hm?"

"It's not right for him to hold you in a relationship you don't want!" Maria exclaims. "He should respect your feelings and part amicably!"

Once again, though, Lady Claes' reaction baffles her.

"There's no need to rub it in!" she snaps.

Maria's head spins. Why is she angry at her? If Prince Gerald can't recognize what a lovely woman Lady Claes is, isn't he the one at fault? She really doesn't understand nobles at all!

"Lady Claes, I really don't-"

"Do you think me an idiot? Do you think I don't see what you're doing here?" The lady's eyes are full of contempt as she extends a shaking hand to point at her. "You've won! Just leave me out of your proxy war!"

She drops her arm and turns to leave the room. Maria nearly trips over her dress as she runs after her and places a hand on her shoulder.

Lady Claes turns to her with the same hateful expression as before. Swallowing her doubt, Maria begins to speak.

"Lady Claes, I truly apologize for coming between you and Prince Gerald."

She bows deeply before rising to meet her gaze again and continuing. Despite the anxiety tearing away at her chest as Lady Claes bores into her with her icy gaze, she continues.

"I know how awful it feels to be abandoned by those you care about. I never intended to inflict the same kind of pain on you."

The lady brushes away her hand, but her expression softens. She grasps her shoulders and bites her lip, head turning towards a corner of the room. After several moments, she turns to face Maria again and crosses her arms.

"Perhaps you could prove it, then?"

The words come out uncharacteristically soft. It's a challenge, but it's not a hostile one.

Maria nods in agreement. She does not wish this misunderstanding to go on any longer.

"I'm not sure how," she admits, "but I can try."

The lady still looks conflicted, so Maria continues.

"I really would like us to get along, Lady Claes. Especially after what you did for me today."

It surprises her that Lady Claes would leap to her defense, even carrying so much resentment towards her. Maybe it's selfish of her to think that they can become friends in spite of that, but she has to try and clear the air between them. She owes her that much.

Perhaps that's why it hurts so badly when Lady Claes turns and leaves the room without another word.

Notes
Oh, Katarina.

Fun fact: Half of this was originally written in Katarina's POV. I changed it to Maria's, but I'm kind of glad I wrote it in Katarina's first. Gave me a good idea of what was going on in her head.

Last edited:
Chapter 9: Constructive Interference
Chapter 9: Constructive Interference

It happens again as Katarina is training with Gerald.

The sword goes flying out of her hand, leaving her face to face with the gleaming tip of Gerald's blade. She screams and stumbles back as she covers her face, images of her death flashing through her mind. Her heart beating quickly, it takes her several long moments to remember that this is a friendly sparring match.

When she uncovers her face, Gerald is standing in front of her, hand outstretched. "Are you alright, Katarina?" he asks, blonde hair reflected in the sunlight.

She composes herself, despite the adrenaline running through her veins, and ignores his hand as she moves to her feet. She looks away and tries to keep her voice level as she brushes dirt off her loose-fitting training gear. "I-I'm fine."

Her breath catches as she feels his hand brush against her chin. He gently turns her to face him, looking at her with concern.

"Perhaps we should go back to the wooden training swords."

She pushes down the feelings that fill her chest at the sight of his blue eyes boring into her soul. Those feelings are false. He would kill her without a second thought. She can still feel the steel of his blade tear into her chest. The very same blade he is holding at this very moment.

Damn his handsome face! It's all a lie!

She shakes her head. "I will not be able to defend myself if I keep breaking down at the sight of a blade."

He frowns, but before he's able to say anything else, the voice of Lord Ascart rings across the garden.

"Gerald? May I have a moment?"

They both turn to face the black-haired nobleman, and Katarina knows the session is over.

"You'll have to wait. I'm in the middle of something with my fiancée."

She blinks.

The normally-unflappable Lord Ascart's eyes widen in surprise, and it takes him several moments to formulate a reply.

"I see," he eventually says.

And while a part of Katarina would like nothing more than to rub her newly-favored status into that third wheel's face, she really has other matters to attend to.

"It is fine, Gerald. I need to catch up on my studies."

He turns toward her and frowns. "I could assist you, if you'd like."

She shakes her head. "I already have a study—"

She pauses. Oh, right.

"It really is fine. I need some time to recuperate."

She works better alone, anyway.

"Ow! Anne! Stop it!"

"Your hair is tangled and covered in dirt, my lady. I am being as delicate as I can."

Katarina wince as Anne runs a comb through her hair in the mirror. She grits her teeth and fidgets as it snags yet again, but doesn't say anything.

Anne doesn't look up from her work as she speaks. "I heard what happened between you and Lady Nelson."

Katarina balls her hands into fists. "I don't need her."

Lady Nelson betrayed her. That level of disloyalty cannot be tolerated.

No matter how much it hurts.

"You were close, though. Were you not?"

Katarina sighs. "I thought so."

"I see."

Anne withdraws the comb from her hair, but looks at her through the mirror and holds up a finger.

"One moment, my lady. I am not finished just yet."

She walks out of the mirror's line of sight, leaving Katarina alone with her thoughts.

It really is annoying to have to take so much time out of her day to freshen up after sword practice. Anne has to bathe her, re-style her hair, and get her presentable all over again. The entire process takes equally as long as the practice itself. Yet, she doesn't really have any other option. She can't practice later: the sun will be down, and fencing in the dark is downright suicidal. Still, all this busywork is seriously eating into her study time, and with Sienna no longer there to assist her—

She shakes her head. No. She does not need her. She can do just as well without her. Lady Nelson betrayed her. She is Katarina Claes, firstborn of Duke Claes! She does not need someone else's help. She does not need anyone's help!

No matter how much it hurts to be without her.

She's broken out of her thoughts by something brushing against the back of her head. She looks in the mirror to see Anne tying back her hair. After a moment, she steps back and allows Katarina a look.

"Do you like it, my lady?"

Where her blue bow would usually be, there's an azure flower poking out from her hair. Anne is standing behind her, arms crossed and expression neutral.

"Anne, what is this?"

"It is an iris, my lady. I am told it symbolizes good news and hope."

She brushes her hand against the flower's azure petals, as if to check she's not hallucinating. They feel soft and delicate. "You… gave this to me?"

Anne nods. "The groundskeeper helped me pick it out."

Her vision blurs. She feels something pool in her eyes.

"Anne…"

There's a moment of silence. Anne's eyes widen almost imperceptibly.

"Do you not like it, my lady?"

Before she even has time to think, she's once again enveloping her maid in a crushing hug. Anne gasps, but a moment later, Katarina feels Anne's arms tighten around her as the maid returns the gesture.

"Thank you," Katarina whispers.

Forget money. When Anne has to retire, Katarina will give her a whole damn title! She doesn't care what strings she has to pull or who she has to threaten! Anne deserves the best, and she won't let anyone tell her otherwise!

Katarina sighs as she flips through the textbook. She might have seen the material before, might've even worked it, but that doesn't mean it's not challenging. She has never devoted herself so intensely to trying to comprehend it before; there will be consequences for her council position if she fails to keep her grades up. Katarina has never had to develop a study ethic before, and it's not easy to learn one.

She glances to her right. It doesn't hurt as badly as it did before to see the seat beside her empty, but it still hurts.

She grits her teeth and returns to looking at the text and scribbling down notes. Whatever. She can do this alone. She doesn't need help. She's seen it all before anyway.

"Katarina Claes!" calls out an all-too-familiar voice.

She grinds her teeth as she hunches over the table. If she keeps her head down and pretends she doesn't hear him, maybe he'll go away.

Unfortunately, judging by the sounds of his approaching footsteps, she has no such luck.

There's a thud as two hands grip the edge of the library table, and Katarina scowls as she raises her head to see the frazzled silver hair of Alan Stuart.

"Go. Away."

Alan's frown deepens, and he shakes his head. "How did you do so well in the charms exam?"

"Because I'm Katarina Claes," she replies. She turns up her nose at him and makes a dismissive motion. "Now leave. As you can see, I am busy."

He leans forward on the table, face twisting in anger. "No way! I'm not going to leave until I figure out—" He pauses, eyes darting to her hair. "Is that an iris?"

She rolls her eyes. "Professor Babcock was asking around for you earlier. You should go talk to her."

He stands back up and crosses his arms. "Nice try, but I'm not going to fall for that twice."

He then moves to the back of her head, and Katarina's breath hitches as he feels his warm breath rush against her nape.

"I'm fairly certain this is an iris…" he mumbles.

She scoots the chair away from him, cheeks burning with embarrassment. "W-What do you know about flowers!?" she shouts, earning her a few glares from the other library patrons.

He shrugs. "Mary grows a few in her garden." Then he looks at her skeptically. "Did you get this from her?"

Katarina shakes her head. "I don't even know who that is!"

Now it's Alan's turn to look confused. "Mary? Mary Hunt? My fiancée?"

"Oh. You mean Lady Hunt." Katarina has seen her a few times in the halls and during classes, but the lady glares at her whenever she's noticed. Katarina usually returns it in kind, even though she does not understand the marquis daughter's apparent dislike for her. "No, I did not get this from Lady Hunt… I think."

"You think?"

She shakes her head. "My maid picked it out for me. I do not know where she got it from."

The fourth prince brings a finger to his chin. "Hm. I'm not sure if anyone else on campus grows them."

She glares at him. "Did you really interrupt my study session to talk about a flower?"

"I'm actually a little surprised." He points to the empty chair next to her. "Isn't there usually another person with you?"

She bites back a flurry of insults as she stares him down. The fourth prince shrinks back from her like a scared puppy.

"Whoa! Okay! Okay! Sorry! Must've hit a nerve there…"

She turns back to her work and hunches over her notes. Ignoring him hasn't worked so far, but perhaps third time's the charm…

She groans as he plops in the seat next to her. "What now?" she whines, turning to face him.

He looks away from her and rubs the back of his head as his cheeks flush pink. "I… uh, could help you study?"

She blinks. "Didn't you claim I was your 'rival?'"

"Well yeah, but there's no point competing if my rival isn't being the best they can be."

She scoffs and returns to her notes. "That makes absolutely no sense."

Then, she gasps as she once again feels his breath on her neck.

"Your notes are really messy."

She doesn't look at him. "I didn't ask for your opinion!"

"I'll go grab my books."

In a flash, the fourth prince is gone. She really should just leave while she has the chance. As she draws up her materials, she once again sees the empty seat by her side.

She sighs and falls back into her chair. She really isn't in a position to be picky about her study partners.

No matter how dense and irritating they might be.

Notes
I have been absolutely floored at the reception to this story so far. I'm really glad y'all are enjoying it, and I hope I can continue to live up to your expectations!

Speaking of amazing fan response, I'd like to link a fan-written scene one of my SpaceBattles readers made. I'm trying to figure out how I could integrate this with AO3, but this link in the author's notes will have to do for now.

Anyway, hope y'all enjoy!

Last edited:
Chapter 10: Positive Feedback
Chapter 10: Positive Feedback

Katarina sits alone at her table. Her usual gaggle of nobles sits on the other side of the dining hall. She glares at the lot of them. Lady Nelson glares back.

"Traitors," she mumbles.

She's surprised when she hears another plate set down beside her. She turns to see a woman with short black hair in a black dress.

Katarina can't keep the confusion off her face. "Mirabelle?"

The dark-haired noble nods as she pulls out a chair and sits next to her, the sole loyal remaining member of her group.

"Why are you not with the others?" Katarina asks, genuinely confused.

Mirabelle shakes her head. "I'm done harassing Miss Campbell."

Oh. Of course. And here she is, thinking that perhaps one of her followers actually cares about her for once.

"I still do not like her," she states, voice tinged with venom.

"True, but you don't want to go after her anymore."

"Only because I realize something those idiots do not: It will catch up to me."

Mirabelle shrugs, and turns to her plate. "Good enough for me."

Katarina nurses her forehead. When had things gotten so complicated? Why can't Lady Nelson and the others see how futile their attempts are? Perhaps if she hadn't lashed out at Lady Nelson the other day, maybe—

She shakes her head. No. She's the one who's been betrayed. She has every right to be angry. Lady Nelson is the one who needs to apologize.

She sighs before sitting up and using her spoon to take a sip of the soup in front of her. It's strangely bitter.

"They're planning something, aren't they?"

She turns to Mirabelle, who's looking at the table where the others are sitting. Her former lackeys are hunched over the tablecloth, muttering something in hushed tones.

Katarina places down her spoon and dabs a napkin around her mouth. "Undoubtedly."

Mirabelle's frown deepens. "Shouldn't we do something about it?"

"Like what? They will not listen to me, so they certainly will not listen to you."

The dark-haired noblewoman turns to Katarina and shakes her head. "No, not like that."

"Do not tell me you wish for me to intercede on her behalf again."

Despite herself, Mirabelle chuckles. "No, not that either. Besides, I'd prefer to not get slapped."

Katarina is unamused. "Then spit it out."

Mirabelle looks away from her, and Katarina can tell by the unsure expression on her face that she's about to propose something she won't like.

"What if we sit with her during lunch?"

Katarina's eyes narrow. "You are more than welcome to."

Mirabelle turns to her with a pleading expression. "Lady Claes!"

Katarina shakes her head. "No. I will not."

"Please, just hear me out."

"I will not be there to save you when you try and burn her again."

Mirabelle's eyes widen as she lurches back in equal parts surprise and offense. "T-That's not what I meant!" she squeaks.

"I know. The answer is still no."

Mirabelle looks distraught, and there's a long period of silence between the two of them as they eat.

"It's odd, though," she eventually says.

"Hm?" Katarina replies, chewing on a bit of venison.

"I always disliked Miss Campbell, but for some reason that day, I wanted to make her suffer."

Katarina swallows what she's eating, and waves a hand dismissively as she speaks. "Is it really odd? Hatred tends to be like that."

Mirabelle shakes her head as she picks at her food. "That's the thing, though. I didn't hate her. I was satisfied to just glare at her and spread mean rumors. Then, all of the sudden…"

Mirabelle frowns as she moves the palm of her hand towards the soup bowl and summons a small flame. Katarina feels the heat brush against her face as the soup begins to boil. After a few moments, the fire mage shakes her wrist and the flame goes out.

Katarina looks at her curiously, and Mirabelle's expression softens as she meets her eyes.

"Sorry," she says, looking embarrassed. "Soup was getting cold."

Katarina arches a brow. She'd assumed Mirabelle was just an emotionally unstable idiot, but the noblewoman seems genuinely surprised and distressed by her own behavior.

"I just don't understand why. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of inciting event for that kind of anger? I can't think of anything Miss Campbell did to set me off."

"Emotions are a fickle thing, Mirabelle," Katarina offers, not really believing her own words.

"I suppose so, Lady Claes."

Katarina turns towards the other table and watches Lady Nelson and the others discuss another scheme to get at Campbell. There's a sinking feeling in her chest as she does.

"Mirabelle?"

The dark-haired noblewoman looks at her confusedly. "Yes, Lady Claes?"

She sighs as she moves to her feet. "I believe we have somewhere to be."

Maria quietly eats in the shade of the oak tree, feeling more melancholy than usual. While Lady Claes hasn't accepted her proposal, she hasn't rejected it either. She supposes that's a good sign. The lady may still dislike her, but she evidently isn't willing to completely destroy any hope of reconciliation. Still, it hurts to have her offer spurned like that. Perhaps she's just being selfish again.

This time, when she hears the crinkling of grass behind her, she immediately turns her head to see who it is. She relaxes when she sees Lady Claes, but tenses up when she sees her company. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. No… they're fine now. She isn't coming over to hurt her. Lady Claes would never allow it.

Feeling a bit calmer, she opens her eyes, only for her breath to hitch in her throat.

Lady Claes is right in front of her, face inches from her own. If she was even an inch closer, their lips would be touching. Maria's face burns. She tries to speak, but the noble's icy blue eyes are too much for her quivering heart to handle.

"She's awake," the lady says, pulling away and turning to look at the woman beside her.

As Maria struggles to calm her heart, the other woman takes a few cautious steps toward her and curtsies.

"Miss Campbell," she begins, the woman's dark eyes locking with hers, "I don't believe we've been properly introduced. My name is Mirabelle Brandt. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"O-Oh," Maria stutters, still trying to focus herself. "Thank you, Mira- I mean, Lady Brandt."

The noblewoman frowns at that. "Please, call me Lady Mirabelle. It's the least I can do."

Maria nods, feeling the beginnings of a smile tug at the edges of her lips.

"Are you done yet, Mirabelle? I'm famished."

Maria quickly glances over to Lady Claes, who's rather impatiently tapping her foot. A frown adorns her face as she glares at the two of them.

"Ah, right. Miss Campbell, would you like to eat with us from now on?"

It takes her a moment to process the noblewoman's offer. Lady Claes misinterprets her confusion as hesitation and takes a step forward.

"This is in your best interest. The other nobles will not bother you if I am by your side. You have no reason to decline, and doing so will only make you look suspicious."

Maria's smile falls. "Lady Claes, what do you mean by that?"

The lady looks her up and down, appraising her. After several moments she says, "It is of no concern… as long as you join us."

Dazed, Maria steadies herself against the bench. Is the lady blackmailing her to eat with the two of them? Why? She'll gladly accept their offer without coercion. It's been so long since she's eaten with anyone but her mother.

"Of course, Lady Claes!"

Once again, Lady Claes seems surprised by her acquiescence. However, she quickly recomposes herself.

"Very well. I will see you in the dining hall, then."

Maria nods, and the two nobles walk away. She wipes a sleeve over her face, mopping up tears that threaten to spill over.

As the sun frames Lady Claes in an ethereal glow, Maria can't help but admire her. Despite the lady's apparent dislike, she keeps trying to protect her. Is there a hidden affection behind her actions? Or is she simply attempting to work past her resentment? Either way, Maria cannot help but feel grateful to the woman that's helped her so much.

Perhaps she'd been hasty in her assessment the other day. It's seeming more and more like she'll make some friends here after all.

She picks up her plate with a smile. She has a table to get to.
Katarina sits alone at her table. Her usual gaggle of nobles sits on the other side of the dining hall. She glares at the lot of them. Lady Nelson glares back.

"Traitors," she mumbles.

She's surprised when she hears another plate set down beside her. She turns to see a woman with short black hair in a black dress.

Katarina can't keep the confusion off her face. "Mirabelle?"

The dark-haired noble nods as she pulls out a chair and sits next to her, the sole loyal remaining member of her group.

"Why are you not with the others?" Katarina asks, genuinely confused.

Mirabelle shakes her head. "I'm done harassing Miss Campbell."

Oh. Of course. And here she is, thinking that perhaps one of her followers actually cares about her for once.

"I still do not like her," she states, voice tinged with venom.

"True, but you don't want to go after her anymore."

"Only because I realize something those idiots do not: It will catch up to me."

Mirabelle shrugs, and turns to her plate. "Good enough for me."

Katarina nurses her forehead. When had things gotten so complicated? Why can't Lady Nelson and the others see how futile their attempts are? Perhaps if she hadn't lashed out at Lady Nelson the other day, maybe—

She shakes her head. No. She's the one who's been betrayed. She has every right to be angry. Lady Nelson is the one who needs to apologize.

She sighs before sitting up and using her spoon to take a sip of the soup in front of her. It's strangely bitter.

"They're planning something, aren't they?"

She turns to Mirabelle, who's looking at the table where the others are sitting. Her former lackeys are hunched over the tablecloth, muttering something in hushed tones.

Katarina places down her spoon and dabs a napkin around her mouth. "Undoubtedly."

Mirabelle's frown deepens. "Shouldn't we do something about it?"

"Like what? They will not listen to me, so they certainly will not listen to you."

The dark-haired noblewoman turns to Katarina and shakes her head. "No, not like that."

"Do not tell me you wish for me to intercede on her behalf again."

Despite herself, Mirabelle chuckles. "No, not that either. Besides, I'd prefer to not get slapped."

Katarina is unamused. "Then spit it out."

Mirabelle looks away from her, and Katarina can tell by the unsure expression on her face that she's about to propose something she won't like.

"What if we sit with her during lunch?"

Katarina's eyes narrow. "You are more than welcome to."

Mirabelle turns to her with a pleading expression. "Lady Claes!"

Katarina shakes her head. "No. I will not."

"Please, just hear me out."

"I will not be there to save you when you try and burn her again."

Mirabelle's eyes widen as she lurches back in equal parts surprise and offense. "T-That's not what I meant!" she squeaks.

"I know. The answer is still no."

Mirabelle looks distraught, and there's a long period of silence between the two of them as they eat.

"It's odd, though," she eventually says.

"Hm?" Katarina replies, chewing on a bit of venison.

"I always disliked Miss Campbell, but for some reason that day, I wanted to make her suffer."

Katarina swallows what she's eating, and waves a hand dismissively as she speaks. "Is it really odd? Hatred tends to be like that."

Mirabelle shakes her head as she picks at her food. "That's the thing, though. I didn't hate her. I was satisfied to just glare at her and spread mean rumors. Then, all of the sudden…"

Mirabelle frowns as she moves the palm of her hand towards the soup bowl and summons a small flame. Katarina feels the heat brush against her face as the soup begins to boil. After a few moments, the fire mage shakes her wrist and the flame goes out.

Katarina looks at her curiously, and Mirabelle's expression softens as she meets her eyes.

"Sorry," she says, looking embarrassed. "Soup was getting cold."

Katarina arches a brow. She'd assumed Mirabelle was just an emotionally unstable idiot, but the noblewoman seems genuinely surprised and distressed by her own behavior.

"I just don't understand why. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of inciting event for that kind of anger? I can't think of anything Miss Campbell did to set me off."

"Emotions are a fickle thing, Mirabelle," Katarina offers, not really believing her own words.

"I suppose so, Lady Claes."

Katarina turns towards the other table and watches Lady Nelson and the others discuss another scheme to get at Campbell. There's a sinking feeling in her chest as she does.

"Mirabelle?"

The dark-haired noblewoman looks at her confusedly. "Yes, Lady Claes?"

She sighs as she moves to her feet. "I believe we have somewhere to be."

Maria quietly eats in the shade of the oak tree, feeling more melancholy than usual. While Lady Claes hasn't accepted her proposal, she hasn't rejected it either. She supposes that's a good sign. The lady may still dislike her, but she evidently isn't willing to completely destroy any hope of reconciliation. Still, it hurts to have her offer spurned like that. Perhaps she's just being selfish again.

This time, when she hears the crinkling of grass behind her, she immediately turns her head to see who it is. She relaxes when she sees Lady Claes, but tenses up when she sees her company. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. No… they're fine now. She isn't coming over to hurt her. Lady Claes would never allow it.

Feeling a bit calmer, she opens her eyes, only for her breath to hitch in her throat.

Lady Claes is right in front of her, face inches from her own. If she was even an inch closer, their lips would be touching. Maria's face burns. She tries to speak, but the noble's icy blue eyes are too much for her quivering heart to handle.

"She's awake," the lady says, pulling away and turning to look at the woman beside her.

As Maria struggles to calm her heart, the other woman takes a few cautious steps toward her and curtsies.

"Miss Campbell," she begins, the woman's dark eyes locking with hers, "I don't believe we've been properly introduced. My name is Mirabelle Brandt. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"O-Oh," Maria stutters, still trying to focus herself. "Thank you, Mira- I mean, Lady Brandt."

The noblewoman frowns at that. "Please, call me Lady Mirabelle. It's the least I can do."

Maria nods, feeling the beginnings of a smile tug at the edges of her lips.

"Are you done yet, Mirabelle? I'm famished."

Maria quickly glances over to Lady Claes, who's rather impatiently tapping her foot. A frown adorns her face as she glares at the two of them.

"Ah, right. Miss Campbell, would you like to eat with us from now on?"

It takes her a moment to process the noblewoman's offer. Lady Claes misinterprets her confusion as hesitation and takes a step forward.

"This is in your best interest. The other nobles will not bother you if I am by your side. You have no reason to decline, and doing so will only make you look suspicious."

Maria's smile falls. "Lady Claes, what do you mean by that?"

The lady looks her up and down, appraising her. After several moments she says, "It is of no concern… as long as you join us."

Dazed, Maria steadies herself against the bench. Is the lady blackmailing her to eat with the two of them? Why? She'll gladly accept their offer without coercion. It's been so long since she's eaten with anyone but her mother.

"Of course, Lady Claes!"

Once again, Lady Claes seems surprised by her acquiescence. However, she quickly recomposes herself.

"Very well. I will see you in the dining hall, then."

Maria nods, and the two nobles walk away. She wipes a sleeve over her face, mopping up tears that threaten to spill over.

As the sun frames Lady Claes in an ethereal glow, Maria can't help but admire her. Despite the lady's apparent dislike, she keeps trying to protect her. Is there a hidden affection behind her actions? Or is she simply attempting to work past her resentment? Either way, Maria cannot help but feel grateful to the woman that's helped her so much.

Perhaps she'd been hasty in her assessment the other day. It's seeming more and more like she'll make some friends here after all.

She picks up her plate with a smile. She has a table to get to.

Notes
Late late late late, I'm late!

Sorry this one took so long, but I started writing another chapter before deciding that it needed to take place later in the story, and then I had a severe case of writer's block on what to do in the mean-time.

Hope y'all enjoy this late-night update!

Last edited:
Chapter 11: Probability Density
Chapter 11: Probability Density

Unlike Campbell, Katarina is not content to sit back and stew in her own pity. Betrayal will be rewarded as betrayal deserves. Much of her power base may have turned against her, but Katarina is not one to admit defeat easily.

How careless of her to lose several council documents! Why, it's just awful that Lady Talys' application for exclusive use of the dining hall will no longer be considered before the council, or that Lady Serra's request for a change to the menu has mysteriously gone up in smoke!

She hesitates upon seeing Lady Nelson's request for use of the private studies. Hesitation quickly turns to anger, however, and her form quickly joins the rest of the 'lost' documents in the fireplace. The edges of the paper curl up and turn dark as the flames consume Lady Nelson's elegantly written signature. There's a sinking feeling in her heart as it disappears entirely.

She shakes her head and turns back to her desk, pushing down the queasy sensation in her stomach. It does not matter. If Lady Nelson had truly regretted what she'd done, she would've apologized by now. It wasn't her fault. She has no reason to feel guilty.

She gathers up the rest of her papers and slides them into a leather pouch before moving her feet and heading to the door, calling for Anne to put out the fire as she leaves the dorm room. She disregards the maid's confused expression at learning she'd lit one in the first place. There is, after all, no reason to implicate her trusted assistant in her quarrel.

As she's walking on the stone paths between buildings, she hears the sound of footsteps behind her. Turning her head reveals Campbell following closely behind. Katarina barely suppresses a scowl, hoping against hope that it's just a coincidence in timing. However, the more rational part of her reminds her of the words she shared with Campbell just a few hours earlier, and she begrudgingly admits that her own presence will likely dissuade any foolish actions from her so-called 'allies.'

Evidently emboldened by her lack of any visible displeasure, Campbell moves to her side. The two exchange glances, but no words. They walk in complete silence as they enter the main building and move to the council chambers.

Sirius raises an eyebrow at the sight of the two of them entering together. Thankfully, only Nicol and Sophia precede them, and their disinterested gaze makes Katarina internally sigh in relief. This experience is already humiliating enough without the judging looks of Gerald or Keith.

She's also relieved when Campbell takes her normal spot at the council table. Part of her is actually rather impressed at the commoner's tact. Then again, Campbell is a master manipulator. It only makes sense that she recognizes Katarina's discomfort and takes a light hand with her actions. Unfortunately for her, Katarina is already aware of her tricks.

Sirius keeps glancing between the two of them with a curious expression, a question clearly on the tip of his tongue. Katarina avoids his inquisitive silver eyes as the rest of the council members slowly file in.

As the clock in the corner of the room chimes the hour, Sirius calls the meeting to order. Oddly, there's one missing figure.

"Where's Lord Claes?" Sirius asks.

All eyes turn to the empty seat at the side of the table.

"It's not like him to be late," Alan adds, looking equally baffled.

Both of the Ascart siblings turn to look at her at the end of Alan's statement. She narrows hers at them in return.

"Lady Claes." Nicol's expression is flat; his voice monotone. "Would you happen to know anything about this?"

She rolls her eyes. "You clearly do not understand our relationship if you even have to ask that question."

Sirius stifles a laugh in the corner of her eye. She pretends not to notice it.

"The state of your relationship is the very reason I am asking you, Lady Claes."

She bites back a curse as she glares at him. "What are you implying, Lord Ascart?"

The dark-haired nobleman wisely remains silent. No words are exchanged, but an accusation is nonetheless made.

Her attention shifts to Campbell as she notices her fidgeting. As they lock eyes, the light mage looks away, ashamed. Clearly, a more direct approach is needed.

"Miss Campbell," Katarina says, venom dripping from her every word. "You would not happen to be keeping something from the rest of us, would you?"

She bows her head with a sigh. "A-Ah, Lady Claes," begins Campbell. "I'm not sure I should say."

Gerald stands up. "Then allow me to say it for you, Maria."

Her eye twitches at Gerald addressing her so informally. Katarina was under no illusions she could ever hope to wrench the third prince from the commoner's grip (or even that she wanted to wrench him from her), but it still hurts to be reminded of her failure.

Ignorant of her concerns, Gerald continues. "Lord Claes informed me he had some urgent business to attend to at Claes Manor over the weekend." He gestures to each of the council members as he speaks. "I was told he wished to leave early as to avoid…" the third prince hesitates, glancing briefly at her "…complications."

Disregarding tact, Katarina leans back in her chair and rolls her eyes. "No need to dance around the subject," she sighs. "Everyone here knows the nature of our relationship."

Gerald actually looks a bit sympathetic as he turns to face her. "Perhaps, but there's no need to be rude, Katarina." He lowers himself back into his chair before turning to Campbell and adding, "Besides, as the lovely Maria implied—"

Campbell flushes red at his compliment.

"—he did not wish you to be informed at all," Gerald concludes, turning back towards Katarina. "I did you a favor."

For a brief moment, Katarina imagines how that pretty perfect face of his would look with a black eye. Yet before she's able to tell the third prince exactly where he can put his 'favor,' her thoughts are interrupted.

"Should you really be saying that kind of thing, Prince Gerald?"

Both prince and lady turn towards Campbell at the sound of that statement.

"Whatever do you mean, Maria?" says Gerald, smile straining.

Even as the pink is yet to fade from her cheeks, Campbell frowns. "I don't mean the stuff about Lord Keith – although I don't think it was very kind of you to go against his wishes like that – I mean the way you're talking to me."

His brow furrows, but he keeps up the smile. "I don't quite understand, Maria."

She gestures at him, an odd determination in her eyes. "That's exactly what I mean. You're betrothed to Lady Claes, right?" She turns toward Katarina with a sympathetic expression. "Don't you think it's improper to address another lady so casually in front of her?"

Katarina can only hope she's hiding her own surprise half as well as the third prince is. Is this not the same woman that had pleaded with her in her past life, voice quivering, to stop 'trapping' Prince Gerald?

Gerald recovers quickly, and a perfect smile once again adorns his perfect face. "Ah. Apologies, Miss Campbell."

Miss Campbell shakes her head and turns to him. "I'm not the one owed an apology."

The third prince tugs at his collar as he faces Katarina, and for a moment, he's not an imposing genius royal, but a schoolkid nervously fidgeting as his teacher scolds him.

"Apologies, Katarina," he says, a bead of sweat visible on his forehead. "I do not know what came over me."

Katarina is too stunned to object, and nods with mouth agape.

As they're walking back from the end of the council meeting, the words tumble out of Katarina's mouth without prompt. "Thank you."

Miss Campbell's voice has an inquisitive pitch. "Hm?"

Katarina stops walking and sighs as she pinches her nose. She doesn't look at Miss Campbell's face. No doubt the light mage is wearing a smug grin at her capitulation.

"I said thank you," she mutters.

There's a long period of silence.

"It's really no trouble at all, Lady Claes," Miss Campbell eventually replies. "It's not right of him to treat you like that."

"I meant what I said earlier, though," Katarina says, still not looking at her. "I won't stand in your way if you want to go after him." She knows far too well he is already lost. "So you don't need to pretend in front of me."

She jumps as she feels a soft hand on her shoulder. Miss Campbell's looking at her, a pained expression on her insufferably-perfect features.

"Is that what you think I'm doing?" she asks, her voice full of hurt. She then withdraws her hand and shakes her head. When she locks eyes with her again, they're filled with determination. "Lady Claes. Regardless of my feelings for Prince Gerald, I will not betray you like that."

Katarina wants to laugh and call her a liar – she's seen how this all ends up and knows it's an empty promise – but there's something genuine about the way Miss Campbell looks at her with those soft blue eyes. So instead, she just shakes her head. "Really, Miss Campbell, there is no love lost between us. Indeed, if you wish to court him, it would likely push him to break the engagement as I wish."

Yet Miss Campbell's expression doesn't change. "If he's really keeping you in a relationship you don't want, then I guess I've misjudged him. Either way, as long as you're betrothed, I'm not going to let him go behind your back like that."

Miss Campbell flushes red as Katarina suddenly wraps an arm around her back and pulls her close. Katarina leans forward, scrutinizing the commoner's features for signs of deceit. She pauses momentarily at the band of pink flowers dotting her short blonde hair.

"Where do you even get those?" she mutters.

Miss Campbell's eyes flit up to her in confusion, but realization quickly spreads across her face. "A-Ah," she sputters. "T-There's a patch of them outside my d-dorm. They r-remind me of the ones we have b-back home."

She moves a little closer, staring intently into the light mage's azure eyes. Even if she isn't lying, surely she has some sort of dirty secret or error, even if it is something as inconsequential as a flaw in her appearance. Yet Katarina can find nothing. It's as if Miss Campbell was designed to be as perfect and attractive as possible.

She wants to slap herself. How has she been as idiotic to think she ever had a chance against that? It's no wonder she'd been able to wrap Gerald and the others around her finger so easily. What man wouldn't be seduced by such a charming girl? The trap she'd set was perfect. It was pointless to rage against it.

She eventually lets Miss Campbell go after she starts shivering in her arms. The light mage is clearly terrified, and Katarina doesn't wish to jeopardize the détente she's offering.

"Apologies, Miss Campbell" she says, masking her bitterness as tiredness. "I did not mean to frighten you."

The light mage clutches a hand to her face, dazedly swinging around as she attempts to regain her balance. "N-No, I-It's fine, really," she mutters, looking quite distracted. "I-I was just… surprised."

Katarina dips her head, swallowing her anger and envy. "At any rate, please do not let my rash actions affect your decision. I very much appreciate what you said today."

Miss Campbell nods, still looking out of sorts as she holds her papers against her chest. "I… I am glad to hear that, Lady Claes."

Katarina nods in return. Good. The deal is still on, then. "In any case, have a good evening, Miss Campbell."

She turns and walks away, leaving the dazed light mage behind.

Notes
You know, from a certain point of view, Katarina's not wrong about Maria. Depending on how you want interpret the cosmology of the Fortune Lover universe, Maria may have literally been designed to be appeal to all her capture targets.

Of course, it's an open question of how much of what Katarina says about Maria is actually objective. She's a notoriously unreliable narrator, after all.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. I hope y'all enjoy it!

Last edited:
Back