Microscope: A Collaborative Worldbuilding Forum RPG (FULL)

Which seeds are you most interested in? (Pick two)

• Golems of Eden

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • The Round Table

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • From Twilight Lands

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • The Essence

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apologies. A busy few days. New Year, all that. (And I recognize I have yet to finish the recording document. I'm working on it.)

So, let's get into a scene. A scene is structured a bit differently from Periods and Events, which are pretty basic summarizations of things. A scene is much more involved, and even the notecard it'd be written on in real-life game includes more detail.

The purpose of a scene is to answer a question. The question can tell us something crucial about history, such as "Why did the King betray his country?" The question can give us a window into what life was like, such as "Are the miners happy with their rugged frontier lives?" Or, they can examine something ultimately unimportant but still interesting to us, such as "Did the soldier get to marry his hometown sweetheart?"

The first thing we do when preparing to do a scene is state the question. In my case, I'll use something related to the event I made for First Pass.

"Why did the military forces of Daralon allow their golems to destroy all of Outer Foles?"

That's the question I wish to ask.

Next, I set the stage. First, when does the scene happen? In the Event: The Destruction of Outer Foles, Period: First Golem War. Review established facts: It hasn't occurred yet, but over 100 golems are about to destroy Outer Foles and kill most of its inhabitants. Where does the scene take place? In a Daralonian war tent, outside the city of Foles, hours before the Destruction. The Daralonians are planning their strategy for the battle. The defenders of Foles most likely are aware of their presence, but haven't made any moves yet. It's night time.

Next, we all choose characters, in reverse lens order. As the creator of this scene, I can require up to two characters and ban up to two characters. I may also require or ban categories of characters, but I may not ban characters by what they are not, since that would be no different than a requirement. For example, I may not ban "anyone who is not a soldier."

In this case, I will require the Daralonian High General Puras (all details about this character can be decided by whoever plays it) and I will ban any members of a delegation from Foles (other non Daralonians are hypothetically allowed).

@Kensai will pick a character first, and I will choose last. The only constraint here is that you must all adhere to the ban, and at some point someone must choose Puras. Other than that, you may pick any type of character you think would be appropriate for the scene. Over time, as this game goes on, it may occur that some characters occur and develop in multiple scenes, but for now, we're a blank slate. Just choose a few words to describe a character, and you're good to go.

As you pick your character, also give a brief statement of what that character thinks of the upcoming scene, just a sentence or two about what they will plan on saying or doing or highlighting what they expect to occur. Revealing thoughts and perceptions are a good way to influence scenes in general, but it is required during this pre-scene phase.

Finally, you may, during the scene, choose to stay in the background and not participate, if you play what you consider a minor character. Some scenes are better with fewer characters. Someone may also choose to play Time as a character, but we're going to refrain from touching on that just now.

Once we've all picked and revealed thoughts, I will explain some more of the subtleties of running a scene here in the OOC thread, and then we'll finally run it in the IC thread.

Last edited:
Apologies. A busy few days. New Year, all that. (And I recognize I have yet to finish the recording document. I'm working on it.)

So, let's get into a scene. A scene is structured a bit differently from Periods and Events, which are pretty basic summarizations of things. A scene is much more involved, and even the notecard it'd be written on in real-life game includes more detail.

The purpose of a scene is to answer a question. The question can tell us something crucial about history, such as "Why did the King betray his country?" The question can give us a window into what life was like, such as "Are the miners happy with their rugged frontier lives?" Or, they can examine something ultimately unimportant but still interesting to us, such as "Did the soldier get to marry his hometown sweetheart?"

The first thing we do when preparing to do a scene is state the question. In my case, I'll use something related to the event I made for First Pass.

"Why did the military forces of Daralon allow their golems to destroy all of Outer Foles?"

That's the question I wish to ask.

Next, I set the stage. First, when does the scene happen? In the Event: The Destruction of Outer Foles, Period: First Golem War. Review established facts: It hasn't occurred yet, but over 100 golems are about to destroy Outer Foles and kill most of its inhabitants. Where does the scene take place? In a Daralonian war tent, outside the city of Foles, hours before the Destruction. The Daralonians are planning their strategy for the battle. The defenders of Foles most likely are aware of their presence, but haven't made any moves yet. It's night time.

Next, we all choose characters, in reverse lens order. As the creator of this scene, I can require up to two characters and ban up to two characters. I may also require or ban categories of characters, but I may not ban characters by what they are not, since that would be no different than a requirement. For example, I may not ban "anyone who is not a soldier."

In this case, I will require the Daralonian High General Puras (all details about this character can be decided by whoever plays it) and I will ban any members of a delegation from Foles (other non Daralonians are hypothetically allowed).

@Kensai will pick a character first, and I will choose last. The only constraint here is that you must all adhere to the ban, and at some point someone must choose Puras. Other than that, you may pick any type of character you think would be appropriate for the scene. Over time, as this game goes on, it may occur that some characters occur and develop in multiple scenes, but for now, we're a blank slate. Just choose a few words to describe a character, and you're good to go.

As you pick your character, also give a brief statement of what that character thinks of the upcoming scene, just a sentence or two about what they will plan on saying or doing or highlighting what they expect to occur. Revealing thoughts and perceptions are a good way to influence scenes in general, but it is required during this pre-scene phase.

Finally, you may, during the scene, choose to stay in the background and not participate, if you play what you consider a minor character. Some scenes are better with fewer characters. Someone may also choose to play Time as a character, but we're going to refrain from touching on that just now.

Once we've all picked and revealed thoughts, I will explain some more of the subtleties of running a scene here in the OOC thread, and then we'll finally run it in the IC thread.

miffmiff has made a little mistake. The Focus is House Vabbi, not the Fall of Outer Foles. So miffmiff has told me to propose this to you instead:

Scene of the Event, "Nascence"
Premise:
"How did Odo decide upon Animation as a countermeasure?"
Setting: House Vabbi Council room.
A player is required to play Odo
Only members of House Vabbi are allowed to be present

Everything else he said about Scenes still stands! Just note that we will be deciding upon stuff for Scenes in the OOC before actually posting it in the IC.

Hopefully that is the last of our little fuck-ups haha. And we will probably run the scene of the Fall of Outer Foles eventually!

Hope everyone is enjoying the RP so far. Kensai, once again, you'll be picking a character first, followed by myself, then Happerry, and so on.​

Last edited:
Ok, so just for clarification, @mrmiffmiff is doing a Scene for his part of this Pass and so we all take part?

(Wasn't it that in a Pass, everybody had to do one order of magnitude lower than the Focus? So since it was a Period we should do Events...etc. Is this just an exception to introduce us to Scene-making and the actual format is as said, or is it okay to just do smaller things in general??)

...I did say I would have quite a few questions...but I like to have clear ideas of what to do lol

(Wasn't it that in a Pass, everybody had to do one order of magnitude lower than the Focus? So since it was a Period we should do Events...etc. Is this just an exception to introduce us to Scene-making and the actual format is as said, or is it okay to just do smaller things in general??)

My dear comrade in arms did, if you'll excuse me saying so, a terrible job of explaining what a Lens is.

A lens isn't necessarily a period, event, or scene; and, in fact, shouldn't be. A lens is a topic. A city. A person. A battle. A weapon. And all periods, events, and scenes that round must relate to that topic somehow.

I made the mistake of saying Lens in this post instead of Focus, but that's the general idea. Focus has literally nothing to do with being a Period, Event, or Scene. A focus just is. Does that answer your question?

And sorry about my previous mistake, and yes, a Scene is participated in by all/most players. Scenes can be dictated instead, but those are a good deal less fun.

Back