Me? I'm already half Xehanort. - Let's all play ALL of Kingdom Hearts!

Ford Prefect

What is Project Zohar?
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone! Even in dark times miracles can happen, and the miracle is the long awaited release of Kingdom Hearts III, the capstone in the extremely weird but extremely excellent cross-over that nobody asked for but absolutely must have.

In preparation for KHIII's release, I and a number of other people want to play the entire franchise, start to finish. All of it. Previously this was extremely difficult due to the franchise being scattered across pretty much every platform imaginable - it wouldn't surprise me if there was an obscure Kingdom Hearts gaiden game for the Neo-Geo. Thankfully Square-Enix released a number of collections which provide a fairly easy way to experience everything in the franchise so far. So we're going to play those, and share our experiences and our journey into Nomura's blessed madness.

And I'd like you, the reader, to come along too!

In order to participate, you will obviously need the games. The collections are as follows:

- Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX
- Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX
- Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue

HD 1.5 and HD 2.5 are available on the PS3, while HD 2.8 is only available on the PS4. There is a HD 1.5+2.5 omnibus available on PS4. These should all be available relatively cheaply now, but obviously you should only participate if you are financially comfortable enough to buy these games. Please don't buy a PS4 just to join, unless you're really into the idea of Sephiroth fighting Mickey Mouse.

By 25 January 2019, we will need to:

- Play through Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
- Play through Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
- Watch the Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days film
- Play through Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
- Play through Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
- Watch the Kingdom Hearts Re:coded film
- Play through Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD
- Play through Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage
- Watch the Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover film

In that order. This is hell you're walking into quite a lot to get through, but probably mostly kind of doable. @ZerbanDaGreat helpfully lays it out below:

Now, we're talking about a series of JRPGs, and those are some meaty affairs. Apparently normal book clubs tend to meet once a month so everyone has time to fit the book around whatever schedules they have, and that sounds about fair to me. With the 1.5+2.5 and 2.8 collections we have all nine 'entries' in the Kingdom Hearts series in two packages, but fortunately not all of those are remastered as real games. KH1, RE:CoM, KH2, Birth By Sleep, and 3D are the major titles. Coded, Days and X Back Cover are just movies and thus you can knock those out in a day, and 0.2 is so short you can do the same, so they can be fit in basically whenever.

KH3 comes out at the end of January next year. Five games one-per-month with the shorter fare sprinkled in -preferably by release order of course- means we could start in either August or September depending on whether we want to slog through 3D directly before 3 or just leave January free to get hyped. Me personally I'd want to get started in August and leave January for 0.2 if anything. Either way, making the 29th of each month the 'deadline' to get as far as you can in the month's game sounds alright to me, depending on how scheduled we want this to be exactly.

In order to make this happen, I would like to get started on 1 August, with the deadline for each main game being the 28th of each month. We will set out a full schedule for each entry, just for clarity's sake. Be aware that this is a significant commitment, but Kingdom Hearts demands commitment.

If you would like to join in, feel free, and feel free to invite any friends, whether they are already fans, or perhaps interested in going down the rabbit hole for the first time. Spread the word, and remember, don't assume your dreams are just fantasy.

Gah, nice to know it would be easier to play now but I'm not buying a TV and a new console no matter how much I liked what I've played of the series. Maybe if I get a job?!? Who knows.

I've been waiting for an excuse to go back through the games, and I've already got both collections, so why not? This seems fun.

i've been having these really weird thoughts lately

like, is any of this franchise... for real? or not?

"We'll make HD compilations from their ashes, carry them into our PS4s with us. I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless handhelds. I will always be with you. Plant your roots in this console generation with me. I won't see you end as spinoffs. You're all canon."

The journey of the only franchise dumber than Metal Gear, fourteen years in the making, finally comes home to roost.

"We pull in Munny, Keyblades, rubbing our noses in bloody synth-grinding dirt... all for revenge."

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel Aqua... Ventus... even Xion. The Drive Forms I've lost, the comrades I've lost, won't stop hurting... it's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our spinoffs."

"The whole new Organisation XIII wants you Norted. You'll have to join up with Herc, build up those levels of yours one more time. Now go! Let the legend come back to life!"

[Kingdom Hearts Goes Open World!]

[A New Breed of Action JRPG!]

[Realtime Zipper Physics]

[Various Modes of Flowmotion]

["Buttonmashing" Redefined]

[Unparalleled Combat Freedom]

[Realistic Passage of Time Waiting For Dolan to Fucking Heal You]

[Dynamic Situation Commands]

"Aqua it's me. I'm here to get you out."

"Your Majesty..."

[Aqua - A Keyblade Master robbed of her Friendship]

"... you're too late."

[Xion - An OC Donut Steele deprived of her face]

[Ventus - A Youth who Curses his Fate]

[Xehanort - A Dick with a Very Busy Past]

[Yen Sid - A Wizard who Stands his Ground]

[Repliku - A Rival living a Lie]

[Those who "Don't Exist"]

"The world calls for JRPGs, and we answer! No greater good, no just cause."

[BURNING WITH REVENGE]

[IN KINGDOM HEARTS]

[Punished Sora - A Fallen Hero]

[EVEN WOMEN BECOME XEHANORTS]

"Xehanort sent us to the Realm of Darkness, but we're going even deeper! Take back everything that we've lost."

"Sora... I'm already half-Xehanort."

KINGDOM HEARTS III - THE PHANTOM PAIN
"He mentioned something interesting. Xehanort is pursuing new research. He claims what they're doing in Monstropolis is the missing piece; a weapon to surpass Drive Forms."

[cut to Sora turning his Keyblade into a giant novelty hammer that screams THERE'S A SNAKE IN MAH BOOT every hit]

(I have been using MGSV as a disgusting comfort food so honestly I couldn't be happier to have a reason to dump it and play KH instead)

Last edited:
Well I am ready to do this. Haven't played the games recently since I got absorbed with the Souls series but I certainly won't mind coming back.

A few months ago the reviews on the new GoW got me to break down and buy a PS4 only to get distracted with Yakuza 0 and ZDH. So this will continue to help my quest to procrastinate on playing the game that I went and bought the system for in the first place.

Does it count if its less 'replay' and more 'play for the first time'

Didn't have a personal PS2 when the games were big/first released, so it wasn't until the re-releases that I got a chance.

i've been having these really weird thoughts lately

like, is any of this franchise... for real? or not?

"We'll make HD compilations from their ashes, carry them into our PS4s with us. I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless handhelds. I will always be with you. Plant your roots in this console generation with me. I won't see you end as spinoffs. You're all canon."

The journey of the only franchise dumber than Metal Gear, fourteen years in the making, finally comes home to roost.

"We pull in Munny, Keyblades, rubbing our noses in bloody synth-grinding dirt... all for revenge."

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel Aqua... Ventus... even Xion. The Drive Forms I've lost, the comrades I've lost, won't stop hurting... it's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our spinoffs."

"The whole new Organisation XIII wants you Norted. You'll have to join up with Herc, build up those levels of yours one more time. Now go! Let the legend come back to life!"

[Kingdom Hearts Goes Open World!]

[A New Breed of Action JRPG!]

[Realtime Zipper Physics]

[Various Modes of Flowmotion]

["Buttonmashing" Redefined]

[Unparalleled Combat Freedom]

[Realistic Passage of Time Waiting For Dolan to Fucking Heal You]

[Dynamic Situation Commands]

"Aqua it's me. I'm here to get you out."

"Your Majesty..."

[Aqua - A Keyblade Master robbed of her Friendship]

"... you're too late."

[Xion - An OC Donut Steele deprived of her face]

[Ventus - A Youth who Curses his Fate]

[Xehanort - A Dick with a Very Busy Past]

[Yen Sid - A Wizard who Stands his Ground]

[Repliku - A Rival living a Lie]

[Those who "Don't Exist"]

"The world calls for JRPGs, and we answer! No greater good, no just cause."

[BURNING WITH REVENGE]

[IN KINGDOM HEARTS]

[Punished Sora - A Fallen Hero]

[EVEN WOMEN BECOME XEHANORTS]

"Xehanort sent us to the Realm of Darkness, but we're going even deeper! Take back everything that we've lost."

"Sora... I'm already half-Xehanort."

KINGDOM HEARTS III - THE PHANTOM PAIN
"He mentioned something interesting. Xehanort is pursuing new research. He claims what they're doing in Monstropolis is the missing piece; a weapon to surpass Drive Forms."

[cut to Sora turning his Keyblade into a giant novelty hammer that screams THERE'S A SNAKE IN MAH BOOT every hit]

(I have been using MGSV as a disgusting comfort food so honestly I couldn't be happier to have a reason to dump it and play KH instead)
Having never played a Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear game in my life:

There are clearly words in this post, and I am reading them, and I am processing them, but...I am not getting any output. :confused:

Does it count if its less 'replay' and more 'play for the first time'

It counts! You should come join us. In fact, I'll rename the thread to make it more open.

Having never played a Kingdom Hearts or Metal Gear game in my life:

There are clearly words in this post, and I am reading them, and I am processing them, but...I am not getting any output. :confused:

That sounds like you should join our quest.

Well, I may not have a PS4 to play the collections on, but I do have a PS2 emulator, a PSP and a 3DS! (Though the 3DS isn't turning on right now...gonna hafta fix that). Having played every game other than 0.2, 358/2 and, oddly enough, KH1 to completion, I'd be all too happy to revisit the series with you all!

So i popped in my game. god damn does it drag out in the beginning.

Head starts are not allowed :<

Well, I may not have a PS4 to play the collections on, but I do have a PS2 emulator, a PSP and a 3DS! (Though the 3DS isn't turning on right now...gonna hafta fix that). Having played every game other than 0.2, 358/2 and, oddly enough, KH1 to completion, I'd be all too happy to revisit the series with you all!

Doing it old school ...

Y'know, I just had the completely random thought of where the hell is Max in all this. I mean, if all Disney is canon then surely Goofy being a single father is canon.

One Google search later:

It's from the Fanon wiki unfortunately. Give me a fucking spinoff game where you play Max and Bobby turns evil and you have a climactic duel with him at the leaning tower of Cheese and Roxanne is possessed by the Heartless or whatever and it turns out Powerline was behind the whole thing.

It is five fucking games of SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SORA! DONALD! GOOFY! SORA! DONALD! GOOFY!

it's gonna take me a long fucking time mate.
Exactly how much grinding do you think you will need? Cause generally if you kill every enemy that you come across you generally are at the level you need to beat the boss. Granted I have been playing these games for years without dying to anything except bonus bosses so I am biased as hell.

It's not a true run unless you're doing it on level 1 critical with the Kingdom Key and absolutely nothing else :V
I am admittedly planning on at least using the harder difficulties this time round.:V
(But seriously, Easy Mode exists for a reason, such as Past Grue who got stuck on the Wonderland boss.)

Exactly how much grinding do you think you will need? Cause generally if you kill every enemy that you come across you generally are at the level you need to beat the boss. Granted I have been playing these games for years without dying to anything except bonus bosses so I am biased as hell.
Yo, I'm not grinding. Those cinematics are loooooooooooooong. And I don't have huge chunks of free time to play the game like i did as a teenager.

Back