Marvel's Shang-Chi

Iron Fist is (probably) still radioactive from the shit Netflix show...
Hey now, while the guy himself got panned, popular reception of Jessica Henwick as "that rad chick with the sword" was very positive.

it's not like Inhumans, which got shoved down the memory hole and now they pretend it was never a thing.

just figures that the one thing set in Hawaii with a demographically correct Asian-majority cast gets handed the worst writing I have ever sent on screen and dies instantly. -_-

Okay, so normally I would let this pass, but your phrasing here feels like an attempt to stake out some faux higher moral ground, so I gotta call BS.

comics Cassandra Cain has a very white sounding name. Every appearance of her I have seen has been in a skintight fetish outfit bat suit, so there's no visual "Asian" indicator. And the back story makes clear she was raised by a nucking futs white guy, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any socialization in any Asian culture or language.

In short, her being Asian is basically just an Informed Ability that doesn't actually matter to anything.

BoP Cass may not be a "proper" batgirl, but she's a "proper" asian, at least. Her (short but present) backstory is grounded in immigrant generation gap issues that are familiar to most Asian-American kids.
isn't BoP Cass entire identity as Cass an informed ability?

isn't BoP Cass entire identity as Cass an informed ability?
Yes, so much that there really isn't any point in it being her.
Okay, so normally I would let this pass, but your phrasing here feels like an attempt to stake out some faux higher moral ground, so I gotta call BS.

comics Cassandra Cain has a very white sounding name. Every appearance of her I have seen has been in a skintight fetish outfit bat suit, so there's no visual "Asian" indicator. And the back story makes clear she was raised by a nucking futs white guy, so I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any socialization in any Asian culture or language.

In short, her being Asian is basically just an Informed Ability that doesn't actually matter to anything.

BoP Cass may not be a "proper" batgirl, but she's a "proper" asian, at least. Her (short but present) backstory is grounded in immigrant generation gap issues that are familiar to most Asian-American kids.
So it's bad that Cassandra was raised by her father, and like most superheroes hides her identity?
What?
Also this basically ignores how much of an influence Cassandra's relationship with her mother Lady Shiva is on her character

Ok, the more I read this, the more that it comes off as very annoying. Let me break it down. First bolded part , just a quick google search reveals many asian-american actors with very white sounding names, guess their asianess is just an informed attribute. Second bolded part is just pure laziness on your part, cause these are in the first 3 google searches for "Cassandra Cain"

The third bolded point is only valid insofar as Cass wasn't exposed to any culture, which I guess makes being a person an informed attribute.

The 4th point is just pure "no true scotsman fallacy" in it's most distilled form, so I don't really feel a need to engage with it on any level.

Overall I find this post to be highly *something*.

Last edited:
So it's bad that Cassandra was raised by her father, and like most superheroes hides her identity?
I didn't say "Bad"

I simply don't think Comics Cassandra Cain really works as Asian representation. Asian fetishization, more like.

Comic Cass/Batgirl is shit as Asian representation for many reasons. That doesn't make her a bad character, just not one that works to present Asians as non-exoticized.

And boy could we really stand to have more asians portrayed as just ordinary people, not alien or other or extraordinary. Henry fucking Woo in Scarlet Witch is the best (mainstream media) Asian representation we've had in a anglosphere production in years and that's pretty fucking lame taken in the context of "apparently the industry can't do any better."

we all know where the guy I originally quoted was going. "Wah, wah, BoP Cass isn't comics Cass and that makes Cathy Yan and BoP bad."

Whereas actually BoP was probably the best DC movie since the Dark Knight triology.

I'm so fucking sick of people trashing an actually good movie because "muh comics lore"

BoP Cass is Asian (and non-starlet bodyshape) representation that's actually nice to see on screen. She isn't airbrushed exocitized beauty. She's the non-rich Asian-American kid you see in schools across the US. Cass is an ordinary American kid, not mystic woo-woo AZN, and that's fucking great.

Non-exoticized, non-othered Asian representation is pretty damn rare in Anglosphere cinema. Even "glamorous" positive portrayals of Asians like Crazy Rich Asians tend to present that at a remove from the audience - as other.

And while some anti-BoP cass complainers may just be super pedantic comic nerds, they are if not themselves part of it, actively giving cover to the Fucking Racists, so fuck them.

I didn't say "Bad"

I simply don't think Comics Cassandra Cain really works as Asian representation. Asian fetishization, more like.

Comic Cass/Batgirl is shit as Asian representation for many reasons. That doesn't make her a bad character, just not one that works to present Asians as non-exoticized.

And boy could we really stand to have more asians portrayed as just ordinary people, not alien or other or extraordinary. Henry fucking Woo in Scarlet Witch is the best (mainstream media) Asian representation we've had in a anglosphere production in years and that's pretty fucking lame taken in the context of "apparently the industry can't do any better."

we all know where the guy I originally quoted was going. "Wah, wah, BoP Cass isn't comics Cass and that makes Cathy Yan and BoP bad."

Whereas actually BoP was probably the best DC movie since the Dark Knight triology.

I'm so fucking sick of people trashing an actually good movie because "muh comics lore"

BoP Cass is Asian (and non-starlet bodyshape) representation that's actually nice to see on screen. She isn't airbrushed exocitized beauty. She's the non-rich Asian-American kid you see in schools across the US. Cass is an ordinary American kid, not mystic woo-woo AZN, and that's fucking great.

Non-exoticized, non-othered Asian representation is pretty damn rare in Anglosphere cinema. Even "glamorous" positive portrayals of Asians like Crazy Rich Asians tend to present that at a remove from the audience - as other.

And while some anti-BoP cass complainers may just be super pedantic comic nerds, they are if not themselves part of it, actively giving cover to the Fucking Racists, so fuck them.
So basically what I've grasped here is Cassandra is bad Asian representation because she a superhero is portrayed as an extraordinary person, and the movie version is better because she's a random kid, and thus comic fans should not be annoyed or displeased at an adaptation of a character they like heavily deviating from the source material to the point of essentially being a new character.
And his name isn't even Henry, it's Jimmy, and if you're looking for a character who's not supposed to be extraordinary then I don't know why you're trying get that from a superhero, being super is literally part of the job description.

Last edited:
Eh, this is a tricky one, and I don't think its as clear cut as anyone is making it.

While Cass isn't exactly sterling Asian representation and has some elements of exoticism and Asian stereotype and I get the urge to change that, Cass has also been a character that was a very rare representation of a aneutrotypical character who struggles with speech and socialization, and to throw that away for a wisecracking teen sidekick was always going to rub people the wrong way.

And his name isn't even Henry, it's Jimmy, and if you're looking for a character who's not supposed to be extraordinary then I don't know why you're trying get that from a superhero, being super is literally part of the job description.

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman
. :rolleyes:

Representation is about having characters that resemble the real life people. @IfIhadaHammer makes a point that Comics Cass perhaps represents those who are mute or otherwise have language issues somewhat better, which is nice ... but she is very much "exoticized" which is exactly what Asians in the west have been looking to *not* be in media since fucking Flower Drum Song.

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman. :rolleyes:
Yes because a dude with the abilities of a spider and a genius Intellect is 100% normal and ordinary.

Representation is about having characters that resemble the real life people. @IfIhadaHammer makes a point that Comics Cass perhaps represents those who are mute or otherwise have language issues somewhat better, which is nice ... but she is very much "exoticized" which is exactly what Asians in the west have been looking to *not* be in media since fucking Flower Drum Song.
At a point this is just basically saying fictional shouldn't be outlandish and fictional and instead need to 100% resemble real life, which sounds boring and uninteresting.

Yes because a dude with the abilities of a spider and a genius Intellect is 100% normal and ordinary.

At a point this is just basically saying fictional shouldn't be outlandish and fictional and instead need to 100% resemble real life, which sounds boring and uninteresting.
WHOOOSH goes the point over your head.

You can be a guy with superpowers without being exoticized and othered. Steve Rodgers has super powers, but is also the quintessential American dude. That is in fact the point of his character. Ditto goes for Peter Parker. he's very much presented as "that kid down the street"

WHOOOSH goes the point over your head.

You can be a guy with superpowers without being exoticized and othered. Steve Rodgers has super powers, but is also the quintessential American dude. That is in fact the point of his character. Ditto goes for Peter Parker. he's very much presented as "that kid down the street"
No I get the point, the problem is your point is terrible, you keep going on but it just continues to sound like you don't know anything about the character beyond a skimmed Wikipedia entry and simply use the words "exotic" and "other" to make up for it, especially when you're comparing her to characters like Steve Rogers and Peter Parker, when they are not anything alike.

As this came out on Disney+ today, I gave it a watch. My impressions as I went:

- I think I've played that character in Dynasty Warriors.
- Oh, so he's Ra's al-Ghul.
- Damn, I really hope the writers actually speak fluent Mandarin, or this is going to be awkward when it hits China.
- Some of this CG looks really cheap.
- Magic dragon necklace? Almost certainly.
- Feels like this might be some kind of mystical fairy marriage thing, where the woman's not entirely willing but has to due to the man having her dragon skin or something?
- And he's Desmond Miles.
- And now we're in a Limp Bizkit music video?
- Excellent fight scene. It's nice to have actors who actually know how to fight!
- Young Shang-Chi got the moves too.
- There'd better be a bamboo scaffolding fight scene.
- Wong? Wong!
- Obviously fighting his sister.
- Also mother is very obviously not actually dead.
- Yesss. Bamboo scaffolding fight.
- I love sister's top - also feels like her character design is kind of Azula-like?
- Man, Dad is a real fuckhead. Makes sense that he wouldn't consider women worth anything, given when he's from, but yikes.
- Feels like he's feeding them bullshit so they can get him into the secret village.
- Definitely feeding them a line of bullshit.
- Magic pendant - but is that all?
- Ben Kingsley! Been doing weekly gigs for the lads.
- Morris! I recognise that it's a Chinese mythological critter but I don't know the name. Pretty.
- I think this is also a setup, sadly.
- Is he a ghost Kingsley?
- Forest maze is super cool.
- Michelle Yeoh!
- Dragon scales, cool.
- Ah, so dad's delusional and actually believes his own bull.
- Closed fist to open palm. Not subtle, but effective.
- Also feels a lot like the 'Dance of the Dragons' bit in ATLA.
- Huh, so she actually is dead and they did have an affectionate relationship.
- That's a pretty bad take-your-kid-to-work day.
- My dude, Katy's seen you kill like ten guys already. She's not gonna be phased by you killing one more.
- The rings have some really cool fighting effects.
- RIP Peking Opera Ninja.
- Fuck you we've got a dragon.
- Ten Rings remain awesome in a fight. Kaboom, soul-eater.
- First post-credits scene was great.
- Second post-credits scene 'my sister's dismantling my father's organisation'. Snrk.

I actually really enjoyed this one. Solid plot, good fights, good actors. I also appreciate the way they recontextualised the whole 'Mandarin' thing from Iron Man 3, and that they kept Ben Kingsley around.

Last edited:
Got the film on DVD. I thought it was very good and in response to that comment on the top of the page, the Iron Fist MCU Netflix show is good. It's not terrible like some say it is.

Don't mind Ant, they have been coping about Iron Fist since 2017.

A more healthy mindset would be to admit that the show was flawed, but they liked it, but good luck getting even that mild admission. Subjectively and objectively good appear to have no distinction in their mind.

It was a good show, I liked it and really wish we got a season 3 to tie up all loose ends from season 2. It had a few issues, but overall I liked the show. Still waiting to get the other seasons of the MCU Netflix shows on DVD.

What did you like about it? I heard mixed things but never gave it a shot, would be interested to hear your thoughts.

It was a good show, I liked it and really wish we got a season 3 to tie up all loose ends from season 2. It had a few issues, but overall I liked the show. Still waiting to get the other seasons of the MCU Netflix shows on DVD.
Season 2 was mildly watchable and the setup for season 3 could possibly have had a solid payoff, but mostly because it looked like it was going to largely sideline Danny. He was really the cracked capstone that dragged the whole show down from day 1.

Last edited:
Back