Mandate of Heaven: SV Runs an Interstellar Empire (Discussion/OOC thread)

Which political party shall rule the Empire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A peek at how the Marquise works, and getting those docket items sorted out... as well as starting the ball rolling on a couple of personal projects (Upgrading the tech level, and Inspection tour)

Sorry for double post, but I put together a Google Spreadsheet for the Government so far:

The Mandate of Heaven: At A Glance

As we go on, I'll try to track changes and statistics.

Also, quick question: How many spots are in the assembly and the Quastorship, and how many of those seats are Crown Party Aligned?

So after this, I plan for V-E to sound Minister Flandry out on the general issues and the upcoming legislation. After that, I feel that I've accomplished just about everything that I've set out to do with this scene.

I would try to seek out another Minister to meet with before the Cabinet meeting, but I've got like three overlapping issues with the Foreign ministry and not really any other pressing ones elsewhere....

Perhaps The Marquise should host an event so that the new Ministers can interact in a relaxed, non-work setting? Anyone up for that? Or should we just wait for the Cabinet meeting for general interaction?

Perhaps The Marquise should host an event so that the new Ministers can interact in a relaxed, non-work setting? Anyone up for that? Or should we just wait for the Cabinet meeting for general interaction?
I'm up for it.

Also: Muses. What they are, exactly.

We have AGIs, they make sense. At least, I think they do. We don't have mesh inserts though, so they are usually in a PCPU.

From around 1:30 to pretty late tonight, my posting is going to be pretty spotty, since I'll be catching a flight back to NY.

I'm sorry to say and hope it won't delay the rest of the RP, but I am at my grandfather's birthday and will be home the day after tomorrow. I will try to input something over the handy or tablet.

I'm sorry to say and hope it won't delay the rest of the RP, but I am at my grandfather's birthday and will be home the day after tomorrow. I will try to input something over the handy or tablet.
Shouldn't be a problem. Tomorrow will likely be a bit busy for me as well, and there are still some things that need to be done before the Cabinet meeting.

Hmm... that IC feels kinda clunky. Oh well.

So I just touched down at LaGuardia in NYC. Since I live in Manhattan and I don't want to spend money paying cab roulette, it'll probably take an hour or so to get home, so posting on my part for tonight is going to be a little sparse. My apologies.

So, as I'm putting together @Estro's report on the budget, I've slowly been realizing that I've been vastly underestmating the size of an interstellar economy. Since the worth of the Imperial dinar is roughly between the USD and the pound, every hard currency size I've given you should be multiplied by a factor of 100--including both revenue and costs. Does this sound reasonable to people?

So, as I'm putting together @Estro's report on the budget, I've slowly been realizing that I've been vastly underestmating the size of an interstellar economy. Since the worth of the Imperial dinar is roughly between the USD and the pound, every hard currency size I've given you should be multiplied by a factor of 100--including both revenue and costs. Does this sound reasonable to people?
I'd just been assuming that the dinar was large, and that it's fractions are the money used in everyday life. So that the dinar's 100th, whatever that's called was worth a pound equivalent.

I'd just been assuming that the dinar was large, and that it's fractions are the money used in everyday life. So that the dinar's 100th, whatever that's called was worth a pound equivalent.
Which do you think would be easier to handle? I was doing that because it's a lot easier as a GM to compare the Imperial situation to modern economies, but what do you think would be easier as a player, specifically as Minister of the Economy?

Which do you think would be easier to handle? I was doing that because it's a lot easier as a GM to compare the Imperial situation to modern economies, but what do you think would be easier as a player, specifically as Minister of the Economy?
Given that we won't be dealing with individual prices often, and even when we will it will be along the lines of "Cost of new battleship is X trillion dollars", I'd say just leave it as it is.

Also, what's the Empire's pop, both including and excluding AGIs?

Given that we won't be dealing with individual prices often, and even when we will it will be along the lines of "Cost of new battleship is X trillion dollars", I'd say just leave it as it is.

Also, what's the Empire's pop, both including and excluding AGIs?
About 800 billion people, both including and excluding--AGIs are relatively few. The overwhelming majority of the population are humans; there are 15 billion nuvians, 13 billion mlaki, 3 billion other xenos, and there are around 1.5 billion full-fledged AGIs.

Just for fun:

The imperial Dinar (Þ) is the currency of the empire and the de jure currency of several smaller independent states (NB: actual level of independence varies). Backed by the might of the largest economy in the galaxy, the actual Dinar is extremely expensive, worth the equivalent of £100 to £120, adjusted for inflation. As such, the money that most people use in their day to day lives are the various subdivisions of the Dinar. First, the Dinar is split into ten Quinan (both the singular and the plural form is called the Quinan), or 1Þ =10Q. The Quinan is further subdivided into 200 Mina, or 1Q=200M.

Just for fun:

The imperial Dinar (Þ) is the currency of the empire and the de jure currency of several smaller independent states (NB: actual level of independence varies). Backed by the might of the largest economy in the galaxy, the actual Dinar is extremely expensive, worth the equivalent of £100 to £120, adjusted for inflation. As such, the money that most people use in their day to day lives are the various subdivisions of the Dinar. First, the Dinar is split into ten Quinan (both the singular and the plural form is called the Quinan), or 1Þ =10Q. The Quinan is further subdivided into 200 Mina, or 1Q=200M.
Looks good to me, although I was actually going to use the dyet/capital eth (Đ) to represent the dinar.

Long live the cake! All hail the cake diagram!

(Will never forgot how our docent explained to us, how much more guillable people were towards cake diagrams and why using them was disapproved in the science papers~)

Long live the cake! All hail the cake diagram!

(Will never forgot how our docent explained to us, how much more guillable people were towards cake diagrams and why using them was disapproved in the science papers~)
It's easy to make them misleading, since they only show percentages rather than the actual figures. When I was doing research for these charts in fact, it turns out that the U.S. Treasury department loves to make separate pie charts for its discretionary and mandatory funding, which can lead to problems in a casual research setting if you want to find out the total budget.

Also, unrelated, that's the first I've seen someone refer to them as "cake" charts. :V

"Kuchen Diagramm" in German, my bad.

Funnily its not about making them more misleading. People simply are more prone to believe the data if presented in this form instead of other forms of presentation.

Since most ministers seem to have an idea of their issues, I think it's about time we had a Cabinet meeting to discuss our plans and such. I'll hopefully start the meeting tomorrow morning.

God, writing the bill is hard.

Also, we run a 300 billion deficit. About 6.5% of the budget. And .... Um.... Probly a small amount of the GDP.

Back