Lost on the Road of Life (An AU Naruto Quest)

Voting is open
Finally, he rolled a single die. It came up on a two. He looked at the original list he had and…

Well, I guess I'm going to hide out in Honey after all, Kakashi hummed thoughtfully. Funny, how that works out.

If the universe was playing a trick on him, he hoped it was a good one.
I actually rolled for the place where Kakashi would go to hide. The starting table was:

1) Bird
2) Wolf
3) Marsh
4) Honey
5) Forest
6) Vegetable
7) Valley
8) Neck
9) Wood
10) Demon
11) Sky
12) Key

The rolls for the die-sum ended up being (after the one reroll): 9,4,8,7,6,11. New list was then:

1) Wood
2) Honey
3) Neck
4) Valley
5) Vegetable
6) Sky

After which the dice gods gave me a '2' and decided that we would be going to Honey anyway.

I laughed for about two minutes at that, believe me.

[X] After Marsh, take a detour through Forest Country and Vegetable Country, see the sights some.
Might as well go sight seeing while we are nearby
He had yet to learn the summoning technique, and learning it now would come in handy if he ever found a summoning scroll that he could use in the future.
Doesn't Kakashi has his Dog summon Scroll?

We're already in Honey and we need a medic, why not just do it right now? We should keep a pretty low profile but we can shop around for missing medics.

[x] (OPPOSED) Travel to Demon by boat. It'll take longer and you hate boats, but nobody will expect you to take the slow route.

Screw this one. Kakashi is stir crazy and we just spent an update playing it safe. Time for something exciting!

@MMKII and @Paperclipped Where are the largest local population centers?

[x] Gonna Rock, Rock, Rock 'Til Broad Daylight
  • Find the largest population center in the area. Go there and paint the entire town red.
    • Throw money around, buy anything we want, dance with pretty girls, drink all the booze.
    • Restock our food and other supplies.
    • Get into a bar fight while making it look like the other guy started it. Kick ass, then brag about the fact that we are Hatake Motherfriggin' Kakashi, the Copy Ninja, the most badass thing for a hundred leagues in any direction.
    • Start scouting for minions valued teammates.
  • Find and assess all the competent gorram med-nin in the city. Not the trainees, the good ones that would be useful to us.
    • Pick the ones we like and offer them a very large amount of money (whatever Kakashi thinks will be attention-riveting without breaking his bank) to come travel with us for two weeks. No questions, take it or leave it, be at <X> place at noon tomorrow or don't bother.
    • Watch to see who is hungry enough to show up and how they handle themselves when they get there.

We're already in Honey and we need a medic, why not just do it right now? We should keep a pretty low profile but we can shop around for missing medics.

You're going to try your best to emulate the first 15s of this vid, aren't you?

@MMKII and @Paperclipped Where are the largest local population centers?
Kakashi is here:

There is a large city near the "N" in Honey and two smaller cities with a history of ninja activity (local clans probably, his bingo book entries aren't too detailed. There's at least one or two insect using clans around here unaffiliated with any explicit hidden villages) near the "O" in Honey and up towards the end of the northern tributary looking thing respectively.

He'll probably interpret your plan as "Head towards the largest city, live a little, and then go talk to medics."

He'll make sure to keep his mask covering his mouth AND his nose the whole time though, of course

Last edited:
  • Get into a bar fight while making it look like the other guy started it. Kick ass, then brag about the fact that we are Hatake Motherfriggin' Kakashi, the Copy Ninja, the most badass thing for a hundred leagues in any direction.

Kakashi is definitely badass and I would run straight at dragon himself before I intentionally let this quest become anything resembling passive, but yelling about who we are when said ANBU captain is like a country over leaves badass territory and teeters on "stupid" territory...Realistically we're not beating Dragon in a fight, and no way we're beating him and his team.

Don't really think we gain much from this besides waving our dick around and then having Dragon come slap us down. At least when it was previously suggested the whole point was to make it sound unbelievable, but as IV pointed out that's still not necessarily a good idea considering that their leads would go from zero to one questionable lead.

@MMKII , @Paperclipped What is the approximate conversion between ryō and USD or euro? I realized I have no idea what Kakashi's 15M ryō actually means. (It was 15M, right?)

EDIT:

Kakashi is definitely badass and I would run straight at dragon himself before I intentionally let this quest become anything resembling passive, but yelling about who we are when said ANBU captain is like a country over leaves badass territory and teeters on "stupid" territory...Realistically we're not beating Dragon in a fight, and no way we're beating him and his team.
We have no reason to suspect that Dragon is anywhere even vaguely nearby.

Last edited:
We have no reason to suspect that Dragon is anywhere even vaguely nearby.
That's true, but Kakashi does know he's being hunted and the misdirection declaration being pointed out as a bad idea was brought up before this update, and I'd still agree with the reasoning. Except now it doesn't sound like your plan is even trying to throw people off, so it goes from a questionable lead to a lead for the ANBU

@MMKII , @Paperclipped What is the approximate conversion between ryō and USD or euro? I realized I have no idea what Kakashi's 15M ryō actually means. (It was 15M, right?)
He's got a solid 102M at the moment I think, if I did the math right. You can treat that as the equivalent to "a couple million" USD for most general purposes. In setting, it would be enough to buy him a small rural castle in a decent region, as well as the land it sits on for a handful of miles in any direction.

He's got a solid 102M at the moment I think, if I did the math right. You can treat that as the equivalent to "a couple million" USD for most general purposes. In setting, it would be enough to buy him a small rural castle in a decent region, as well as the land it sits on for a handful of miles in any direction.
Found the new plan
[jk] Buy a castle
[jk] Introduce ourselves as Ishaki Nothatake

It's a man's romance to want to have a castle of his own

[x] After Marsh, take a detour through Valley and Neck, see the sights some.

Neck seems to promise dinosaurs, and I will never not vote for dinosaurs

The underground cave he was staying in (which he had this morning renamed "The Hole to Fucking Naraka") was hell on his nerves. He had built a small tunnel shaft to the outside (mostly obstructed with granite slabs courtesy of the Multiple Earth Wall technique) for some extra air flow. After a day or two in the place, some sort of slug had fallen into the tent he had set up as a reading room. The little thing had wiggled on the top of the fabric for half a minute before it burned right through it with some sort of acidic mucus that it secreted. Kakashi had promptly lit a torch to investigate, before discovering that the cavern was filled with the little buggers. He had packed his stuff up, torched the inside of the cavern walls thoroughly with his Forge Flame technique, before spending half of a day using Multiple Earth Wall to fortify the cavern's interior as best as possible.
...so Katsuyu knows where we are? Oh fuck.

Is it safe to say that 50 ryō = $1 USD, at least for purposes of approximating costs? For example, a cheap meal in a medium town would be about $3-5, meaning 150-250 ryō.

[X] Now recruiting- Healer for an intrepid growing party

-Go to the capital of Honey in disguise. The kind where people can figure out we're a ninja with mild effort, but not which one.
-Investigate local medics. We're looking for good, and preferably someone who wants to travel, or doesn't have (living) roots down here. Check out a couple clinics, and bars, as appropriate.
-Have a bit of pranking fun while in town, but try to keep anyone from discovering you were behind it. (Bonus if the only person to discover is the medic we recruit.)
-Once we think we have our person, invite them to join us in travel. Offer money, some flexibility in destination, and a reasonable signing bonus request, if they can prove they're worth it.

Voting is open
Back