Logan (3rd Wolverine Movie), March 2017

KnightDisciple

Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.
Didn't see a thread about this, so here it is.

Like, points just for using Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" so effectively.

EDIT: Apparently Bryan Singer has confirmed this movie will have the first on-screen appearance of Mister Sinsister/Nathaniel Essex.

Last edited:
I don't like the way the cut 'Hurt', but otherwise the trailer is hype-inducing.

My heart raced a bit when Logan showed the claws.

According to SB this is the Plot Synposis

Set in the future of 2024, Logan and Professor Charles Xavier must cope with the loss of the X-Men when a corporation lead by Nathaniel Essex is destroying the world leaving it to destruction, with Logan's healing abilities slowly fading away and Xavier's Alzheimer's forcing him to forget. Logan must defeat Nathaniel Essex with the help of a young girl named Laura Kinney, a female clone of Wolverine.

No Country for Old Men + Old Man Logan + The Last of Us = this movie

I'm sold, to be honest. Previous Wolverine films burned me, but at least this one's trailer seem different enough that I think they can make something worthwhile with it.

Another bad future, elseworld in Fox's Mutant X-Men series.

X-23, Laura Kinney has certainly become bigger then I imagined.
Going from a start in the cartoon X-Men Evolution, to being popular enough to be incorporated into comics, to earning a sizable enough fandom (perhaps partially due to the ties to the fan favorite Wolverine), to appear elsewhere like in video games like Marvel Vs Capcom. To now, actually having a role in a big budget film.

I wonder how major her role will be, or how much agency she'll have.

Or what characterization they'll give her. X-Men Evolution she only appeared a few times, but comics have been running for years with vastly different characterization. Or the films will make a new characterization character with her name, that might become her canon comic personality for a few years. X-23 isn't that well known, so to even some Marvel fans she's an unknown with an unknown personality. Potential blank slate.

Of course, I already saw a few complaints complaining that there's a female character at all, calling it unnecessary adding nothing, pandering, or even negative.

But fortunately, so far such comments seem to be rare so far for this film.

I'm surprised they got Patrick Stewart as Xavier again.

Didn't see a thread about this, so here it is.

Like, points just for using Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" so effectively.

EDIT: Apparently Bryan Singer has confirmed this movie will have the first on-screen appearance of Mister Sinsister/Nathaniel Essex.

Mister Sinsister/Nathaniel Essex.
Interesting. Any big potential villains Fox has the rights for that they haven't used yet?

Or they might go a different route in the future, bring villains back, or give small role villains an attempted breakout role.

Laura in this film looks younger then most versions of her have stories in.

The story might be self contained, less direct continuity. Fox films have a very flexible continuity so far.

I'm remind of cowboy or western movies a little.

Last edited:
I do appericate that judging by most of the interviews and the general tone of the trailer, this is going to be a far more subdued movie than X-men normal. Even if it is hard to see Charles Xavier so weak, it is really nice to see a Franchise trying something different that isn't painfully stupid.

The Last of Us comparisons will become incredibly annoying but I can hardly fault them.

Honestly I hesitate to call this an adaption of Old Man Logan, it obviously is heavily influenced by Old Man Logan and takes a lot from it. But Old Man Logan involves Logan and Hawkeye traveling across country in Spider-man's Buggy because Logan needs money to pay off the Hulk Gang. 90% of that sentence is impossible in X-men Canon.

Holy shit it has an R-Rating.

I mean at least it probably won't have Hulk rape babies this time around so it's got that going for it I guess :/

It looks like pretty much the same crew that did Wolverine '13 so I can't really get my hopes up though.

This kind of reminds me more of 'Wolverine: The End' rather than Old Man Logan, so....

Wonder if they'll keep the plot twist from The End that Xavier was only in Logans head?

I get the hesitance from a lot of fans, given that Apocalypse is still fresh in our minds (that fucking dumpster fire of a film) and the last solo flick for Wolverine was decent at best. Still, this trailer doesn't tickle the hype machine by offering more of the same. It looks to be a bit of several different Bad Future scenarios for Logan, and has a great set-up for an emotional core given that Stewart's Xavier and Jackman's Logan have a great rapport. The two actors go together well and the films have repeatedly established the mentor-student relationship they have.

Logan's healing ability has always been an obstacle to feeling danger, which is why the fact that he both ages and has scars and open wounds now is a really enticing shift. The western tone (with a touch of Unforgiven's darker style) is also a good move, because First Class, Dark Knight, and Winter Soldier have proven superhero films can be incredible when made into genres outside of action-adventure.

X-23's presence implies a successor theme, not to mention mirrors the "parent and child in apocalypse" style that's become popular. Xavier being so old, tired, and mentally fading is hard to watch and will make for great emotional connections. I think that's what this film really has over the others, the same that made First Class and Days of Future Past great: a reason to feel the emotions of the characters and care.

That, and the badass R-rating. Thank god for Deadpool's success in that regard, whatever else follows. An alternative title for this film should be "No Country for Old Logans."

About fucking time. At this point it was either that or abandon all pretension and admit that movie!Logan has tickle-claws that make people fall down and take a nap while the strawberry jam and tomato sauce packets in their pockets burst everywhere.
Wasn't the last wolverine movie an exception to that? It had Logan acting like a bumpkin after somehow managing to blend in well enough during WWII to witness the bomb being dropped firsthand, but it was a decent movie.

I get the hesitance from a lot of fans, given that Apocalypse is still fresh in our minds (that fucking dumpster fire of a film) and the last solo flick for Wolverine was decent at best. Still, this trailer doesn't tickle the hype machine by offering more of the same. It looks to be a bit of several different Bad Future scenarios for Logan, and has a great set-up for an emotional core given that Stewart's Xavier and Jackman's Logan have a great rapport. The two actors go together well and the films have repeatedly established the mentor-student relationship they have.

The problem in my eyes is that is seems to be nearly entirely focused on already existing X-man fans (or perhaps even more limiting, Wolverine fans) with very little to draw in new viewers who had little to no contact with the franchise till now, like me. Couple that with the fact that going rather heavy handed for psychology angle, which I don't think is that attractive with the casual superpower crowd either I simply don't think that this movie will get much traction, no matter how good it actually is.

Back