List of Signs (Destiny SI)

Chapter 21
Climbing

It's nearly outstanding how fast environments seem to change, when separated by a monumental wall. Even the dampness of the air seemed to change. The choking smoke of the city was replaced with the slightly sweet, almost tangy smell of the pines. Before heading for the city, I had no clue there would be any pines around here, and I progressed through the dead limbs of the trees I reckoned that perhaps, there weren't any pines before the collapse. Some parts of the world already had a problem with invasive trees back home, and if this was a sort of approximation of the future, then it was no doubt that without proper culling of the population, it would have boomed.

I carve my own trail amongst the trees, having painted a map on the PDA as I went along, trying to keep a distance from where I had initially seen the two taken. Taken Minotaur are invisible, I had known that, but I did not expect them to be as persistent as to chase me all the way down. If I kept my guard up, then I would remain free of a chase when I climbed back up. Coming upon a similar ledge to which I had originally fallen from, I dig my hands and feet into the earth to avoid sliding down as I overcome this minor obstacle.

A strong gust of wind causes the trees to sway, more audibly than anything else, but I still pay close attention to my surroundings to make sure nothing is trailing after me, so far.

I'm clear.

I continue my uphill stroll at a reasonable pace, I assume, for someone with a broken leg. I'm not really sure it would count as broken, however. There's no pieces missing, and while it might be badly cracked, it hurt surprisingly little. Mind me, it still hurt like a bitch, but I still remember vividly having strained my leg muscles a surprising amount of times while I was still human, and I had to admit, that hurt more.

I come upon a clearing. The grass is yellow, and tentatively spreads out under the trees somewhat, but it's of surprisingly little size, when compared to the grass growing free from the tree's shade. 'This would have made for a nice little campsite', I reckoned, 'but I can't stop now'. And so the little clearing, with its un-obscured view of the sky, with clouds that looked like tendrils of white smoke, was left behind once more.

The next thing I came across, that somehow broke the monotony of the woods, was a fallen tree, resting between those of its more livelier, and leafier, kind. My mind quickly drifts back to the saying of "If a tree falls in the middle of the woods, and there's no one around to hear it, does it makes a sound?" I reckon it did, long ago, when it was not hollow. I go around it, as I'm not going to risk tearing a bigger hole into the backpack than it already has.

Soon enough, the monotony returns, and while I don't resent the woods, I already wish for some change. My mind keeps me company, and while nothing interesting is going on, and there are no footsteps that are not mine, I begin trying to remember… anything really. Songs, treks I had participated on before I landed here, short stories, long stories, maybe some more of the lore… anything, really. I was especially interested in the lore, because, if I was being honest, I really didn't delve deep into it, back home. I should maybe take some notes on what I already knew, just to preserve the knowledge I already had. It should help me, should I forget.

For the first time in what seems forever, I meet myself with an insect. A pesky little thing: a mosquito. I reckoned I wouldn't have to deal with things like these buggers since I no longer had blood, but it most likely had smelled something, if it was still roaming around. Swatting him would do no good, it was too small and too fast. I could try, but the chance of only exacerbating my pre-existing arm and shoulder pain. So just waving it away would have to do, if it still roamed around after some time.

But if their insects around, that was good, was it not? Insects meant that there would be no taken around here, no mirages to draw my attention, and as I absentmindedly swung around my arm, due to the arrival of the mosquito cloud this one must have belonged to, not too long ago, but the trek upwards continues, in spite of the sky darkening in response to incoming clouds, mainly due to the very real possibility of getting jumped by one of those taken minotaurs once more, but also due to the very real possibilities of a Cabal hit squad searching the area for what they assume to be a full Eliksni incursion. I wanted to be off-planet by then, if at all possible.

The shadows in the forest look darker. Checking the map for any indication, I fear I might have gotten lost.

My legs ache, my left thigh really hurts, my back feels like it has been twisted into an accordion, and my arms, the ones that actually work, instead of being tiny stumps reaching for the air, are pulled by an invisible weight, even when I let the shotgun sit on the ground to allow them to rest. Eventually, upon finding a good enough rock upon which to sit on, I repeat the action of letting the shotgun off to aside to rest, letting my hand fly through the air warding off the insects from my face.

After experiencing some taken, I rather admit that this is better than… them.

The first raindrops begin hitting the ground, but I really don't mind. It might soothe the pain, for once.

I remove the backpack and carefully let it rest besides the light blue shotgun. For good measure, I stuff the PDA inside as well.

The lone droplets begin falling with more frequency, and the environment loses colour, somewhat. Must be the night-vision acting up due to the rain clouds overhead, and the afternoon finally changing the colour of the sky.

I can't write. The book isn't here. Even if it was, the pages that I had written on had been ripped out. Might be for the best, a fresh start. Some pages had random writings that I couldn't really understand, but I reckon it is High Speak, or the language of some extinct house. It looks like Eliksni, but even if some letters are there, there's others which I don't know the meaning off. Some words while familiar were not what I reckon how they were written. It almost felt like trying to understand Portuguese. It was familiar, but not quite.

I… I miss my cats.

It's a weird thing to think about, especially when I should be focusing on the things I wanted to keep, but I really didn't want to forget my cats. I remembered their names, how they behaved, how their fur felt between my hands. I remember sleeping with them, one comfortably curled up on my chest, another cutting off the blood flow from one of my legs. This had changed when Sassy stayed with my parents. It would have been two months, I reckon, since I had gone with patch to the apartment to study. She was going back with me next month, when my dad came over to visit.

I really miss those dumb cats. I hope they're all right.

The drizzle grows in intensity.

My mouth feels dry. And not because it lacks saliva, I reckon. It's one taste I've been missing for one day so far.

It's Ether. I want some.

It's more like I crave ether. It makes sense, I reckon. I do not know what it is that originally got Eliksni hooked to Ether… but I craved it too now. My mind flashes to the lessons we had on addiction, and the Dopamine-Pleasure cycle.

With the coming of the rain, most insects had gone away. It meant my only way of knowing if any of the Taken were nearby had disappeared, in less than an instant. My body complains as I pick the backpack, and then the shotgun. I mostly ignore the pings of pain that shoot up whenever I walk, or stand up, but it was getting harder. If Eliksni had any sort of adrenaline, this was the evidence. With some hesitation, I resume my walk upwards once more.

The path doesn't take long before it becomes muddy. The rain… it severely messes up with the night-vision. The trees look less like trees and more like foreboding, black obelisks with outreaching arms. They sort of meld with one another in the distance, but gain features as I approach them. They're harder than what could be expected to be seen, but this in general, seems like a downgrade for normal vision.

With some focusing, I can, by will switch back to regular old "Visible Light" vision. I should mess with this when I'm mostly free. It's not much of an improvement, but it sure helps.

Safe to say, the rain could also obscure my footsteps, but I doubt the Minotaurs would have the same visibility problem as I had in this moment. The dark and the rain did not mix well, even as a human. While the wet clothes did drag me down, I'm glad to know that the cold also lowered inflammation some for this body, as well.

A tree branch falls behind me.

I begin running without looking to see what it was. It's better to run than to question at this point. I questioned myself on the knowledge of a Rorschach lizard earlier, and I won't make that same mistake again.

The rain grows heavier, colder. My running remains the same, even if I make constant stops due to my broken leg. The soaked clothes… it's holding me down. The cold didn't bother me earlier, but perhaps wearing four pairs of shirts was not the wisest choice. I got carried away.

Hiding behind a tree, I listen. I listen for anything that might break the monotony of the water drops impacting the ground. I listen for anything that might be a threat.

Dusk is slowly giving away tonight. The night-vision returns, unprompted this time.
It's always when I blink when the change happens. Never when I have my eyes open. I don't dismiss it, this time. The dark is swallowing the woods. As someone who has gotten lost in the woods at night, without night vision, I know how dark the forest gets, how uncaring it behaves towards everything and everyone. It was not welcoming, like a house, but it also lacked the foreboding nature of a poorly kept home. A forest just was.

I let the backpack slide towards the muddy ground, and I remove the poncho, before tossing the shirts to aside. The poncho, however, goes back on. I'm not tossing it away over some rain, it held sentimental value at this point. I had no clue why, but I really liked ponchos. And for the pants, they were staying on. Pants are good no matter what species you are. Unless, of course, you can't wear pants.

I quickly picked up the scavenged supplies and the shotgun and looked around once more. My vision could, at most, see twenty meters ahead, and not very well with the rain, it muddled everything to a degree, and while closer objects still possessed things like textures, defined shapes, and the such, further objects just devolved in a nearly pitch-black mess.

I'm not sure what I'm seeing at some distance, however. It's definitely glowing, much brighter than anything had any right to be. It extends it's tendrils, caressing any tree that it dares approach. And, most surprisingly, it doesn't seem to notice me.

While keeping it under close watch, I begin continuing the climb through the region of scarcer trees. The edge of the woods. What was to follow, should I be caught, would be a chase through the un-stable mountainous ground, under heavy rain.

Reminds me of home.

Fortunately, whatever that was did not seem to spot me, and I'm free, once more, it would seem.

I recognised this place…

It was the rock face I had initially looked down from, after I began my downwards climb.

It was clearly high, and climbing during the rain was a pretty bad idea, but It allowed me to know something:
I was close.

Chapter 22
On the Skyway

I pull myself up on the ship. I'd rather not risk jumping, mainly due to how my entire body ached.

<DID_YOU_OBTAIN_THE_REPLACEMENTS_(query)>

<I believe it as much.>

I let the bag slide onto one of the co-pilot's seat, strapping it down before I do the same on the pilot's side for myself.

<CHANGE_OF_BANNER_(query)>

As I begin the ignition protocol, I think of what to respond to that. There's no word for attire. The word for appearance is not as exact as the one I use, most of the time.
<No. By myself.>

They're the initial beeping coming from the console, as It plots a course to nearby space.

I just want to rest, but I need to fix the immobile ball of steel.

<Where everything goes… do you know?>

It doesn't respond with an affirmative, it just beeps in response.

The thrust of the ship pulls me back as it begins its take-off. The ball of steel rolls to the back wall, but it doesn't seem to complain much. I really need to get the plating the surrounds it if I don't want it dying in one week of constant take offs.

I'm just glad I left Earth.

I'm even more glad I didn't get to see any corpses lying around. Human ones, I mean. I really didn't mind blasting a new mouth for the Psion.

<Where do you know where to go?>

It's more of a request for direction, but it more or less served the same purpose.

<NEGATIVE_>

Oh well.

Venus or… I don't reckon Titan is a good location. The Hive hate anything that lives. And that includes themselves.

Venus seems like the best… no, scratch that. Mars was at war, if what Failsafe had told me about Cabal coms was true, so that one was right out as well.

I let out a sigh as I un-strap my seatbelt, pulling me towards the back of the cabin using the handholds on the roof to strap the Servitor over at one of the seats.

<I never asked for your name.>

<GIVEN_DESIGNATION…SELEKS-23>

There's no "glad to meet you" for when you're in zero gravity, as that one requires some bowing on my behalf. So I settle for the second best deal:
<This knowledge makes me glad.>

With the iron ball strapped as well as I can to the third available seat, I grimace over to the fourth, broken, bent, and somehow still pasted to the floor seat. I might as well weld it to the floor to avoid a possible projectile when the ship lands or takes off. Better be safe than sorry, if I remembered the saying well.

<NAME_DESIGNATION_DREG(query)>

That caught me off guard.

I really don't know what to respond to that, if I'm being honest. As I strap myself to the pilot's seat, after trying to not fall onto the consoles, the response that exits my mouth is…
<I don't know.>

I would have liked for the trip to Venus to remain quiet, but it appears Seleks 23 has other plans.

<LACKING_OF_NAME_(query)>

<None I like.>

The ship pauses for a moment, as whatever it helped it reach the kaleidoscope of colours that helped it travel faster than light heats up.
<EXPLAINATION_(query)>

The engine fires, and the tube of lights and colours envelops the skyscape. It's weird. There's no thrust, no further movement, it's like if the environment was the thing moving around, and not the ship.

It probably was.

<I diched my old name. Of no importance.>

It… It probably had to be done. A Fallen with a human name? Not even the Spider went to that extent of adoration for what humanity had once achieved. I would be a laugh stock. Maybe it was for the best, if I were to just ditch it. There was plenty of people with my name.

An end to the light show approaches, and suddenly, it's almost as if the ship was suddenly de-accelerating, and the impact is palpable on the inside of the ship.

I don't know if I'll ever get used to that. I didn't even like planes, or rollercoasters, or boats. I don't know how astronauts even got used to the constant feeling of just… floating. It almost was like falling, but less wind running by. I could confirm that. I had fallen down a cliff earlier and if I was being honest, this was kind of like that, only that there was no final impact. No resounding thud.

It's just falling forever. Until you decide to land somewhere.

Talking about landing, I seriously needed glimmer to refuel this thing.

'Earth's Twin' sits still in the cosmos. Relatively still that is. Everything was moving at speeds to fast to comprehend, and to be frank, from how everything seemed to not be moving from where the ship had emerged from FTL, it might as well not be. Of course, the ship was growing closer to Venus to land somewhere around the Shattered Coast.

<LOCATION_(query)>

<Were we land, Seleks-23, is the Shattered Coast.>

I don't know what it is, but… I feel particularly annoyed.

And sluggish, that too.

I thank whatever might have preserved the warp drive of this ship as it begins descending into Venus' atmosphere, orange clouds encompassing the ship as gravity slowly, but surely, becomes a thing.

I appreciate the manoeuvring system for being sophisticated enough to require minimum care. I appreciate that I even have a ship at all. Where I on the Moon, I would, most undoubtedly, be dead. I didn't know how to judge the chances of the alternate me that had popped up in the Tangled Shore, but I'd give it a 40/60. I doubt I'd be satisfied living under the Spider, but some life was better than existing as an undead beast.

I look out the frontal window, the only one there was in this tin can of a ship. Droplets strike against whatever sort of glass they were made off, but barely produce any sort of sound.

I think I can see the remains of a city, from up here.

The Vex might be a problem, but as long as I go mostly un-spotted, things should be good.

After fixing the servitor, processing food, and looking for whatever pieces I might have gotten confused over; rest becomes an option, for the first time in very long.

Chapter 23
Awe

That was what I was feeling when observing the remains of the once vibrant colony that had braved the planet that was Venus.

It was still amazing what the traveller had done to this hell. It almost seemed like a tropical paradise. Kind of like the amazon rainforest, but more… orange. It's not that the plants were orange, but the sky, the dirt, even the shades of the water were of some shade of orange or another. The green contrasted nicely, and the reflective windows of most of the decaying buildings made for an… interesting picture. I, for my own part, would have expected them to be more decayed than they already were.

Another thing that was nice to know was that the Seleks 23 couldn't disobey an order from the highest authority present. That meant that unless I found myself in another "Fallen Captain situation", I should be good. That is to say, he's staying put, until I can find a replacement for the shell I had left behind on Nessus. That probably won't be soon.

There's a smooth breeze passing over. The foliage clinging to the building has their leaves pushed and pulled, and it produces the sound I had missed ever since I had moved to the city to study psychology. Don't get me wrong, I liked studying psychology, I liked the autonomy… but I missed the plants. The soaked poncho and pants flap in face of the wind, but considering I had tied them together to a foldable chair, it seemed unlikely that they were going to learn to fly, any time soon.

I look up to the horizon from trying to make a strap for the shotgun using the scarf flying Dusk colours. The sun shines timidly, but firmly, from behind the clouds. It's bright enough to be felt, underneath the thick skin and chipped plates that covered me, but it's blocked enough so that it doesn't end up being abrasive.

There's little waves, crashing on the mainland, slowly eroding the rock. It soaks up the mud of the coastline, and from up here, it's easy to forget that there had even been any sort of conflict around this area. Dozens of strikes, constant battles between the Vex and the Eliksni, and a raid were unable to impact the aspect of this place. Even the Vex structures, from seen from afar, are sort of… collapsing, onto the sea.

I look back to the light blue shotgun I had removed from the City. It was, so far, the second weapon I had ever laid my hands on that had taken a life. The first was the… pistol thing, with the double barrels. I had gotten that Exo good, and it mostly was an accident.

This one, however, had blasted full of purpose. It could be considered self-defence, true. It actually was self-defence, no doubt about it. But I just as easily could have made a run for it.

It's best if I don't think on it too much.

One knot is done, in any case. The tubular barrel was now tied with the scarf, and I wanted to do the same with the shoulder stock. Too bad I lacked rope. Or scarf, in this case. It's not that it's small, in fact, the scarf could be compared to some multi-colour absurdity that aired in the 60s, or 50s… now that I put it in perspective, I really don't remember when that show aired.

Eh, it's probably not important.

I take a deep breath of the antifreeze tasting substance, and if I'm being honest, all of yesterday I had spent thirsting after it. Ever since I had managed to refill my canisters, I had mostly spent the time just inhaling the stuff. It's not that it tasted good, but it more or less… it just felt good to have it in your system. It sort of placed into context why Dregs would go so savage for these things. It gave them the clarity they needed to think, the clarity to remember, and to consolidate memories. No wonder the Scorned barons were out of their heads. They've embraced the starvation.

I guess I can see a parallel between them and the Horseman of Famine…
Actually, all things considered, those were pretty good names for ships, if I ever got one. I opened the (somewhat) blank journal, to the last page, and with what little dexterity these fingers had with a pen, I scratched on the top of the page:

SHIP NAMES (in case you get a ship not shared with Fallen)

-Horseman of Conquest
-Horseman of Pestilence
-Horseman of Death (talk about ominous)
-Horseman of Famine
-Horseman of War

That was pretty good, I reckoned. Stowing the pen on the margin of the book, and leaving it to the side of the chair, I admire the view once more. The sun had gotten covered somewhat, but the ambient temperature didn't seem to care for that in the least. The clothes I had left to dry are pulled by the wind like flags on masts. This, combined with the sound of a gentle breeze, gentle waves, and foliage being pushed around by the breeze is more than enough to have been my ideal track to sleep to.

But I couldn't go to bed just yet, I needed to re-write what was stolen from me.

This time, with preferably less emphasis on human names. I look at the stumps under my top arms, realizing what the captain meant. He was threatening to tear out my remaining arms. I wasn't even dealing with my broken leg well, even if no piece of the exterior skeleton had fallen out, but I cannot begin to imagine the pain young Eliksni had to deal with when they got docked.

I promise myself that if I ever pick up a drekh or two to never engage in the practice myself.

I did have one last thing I wanted to do before I began the re-write however.

Turning on the display screen of the PDA, I turned to the tucked away music section, and select one of the albums I think I had explicitly mentioned on the journal, before those pages were torn out. I don't know if you could call King Crimson's Red "soft", but I had come to realize that Starless was probably the first human song I had heard since waking up like this that both, fill in the void of sound nicely, and made for nice background without being meaningless.

Things to remember:
It has been 3 5? Some Days since the Tower fell.

-IMPORTANT: Don't mess with guardians. No matter your plan, they will fuck your shit up.
-Red Legion conflict lasts two months. Get a methane reactor before then. It has currently been 23​ some days since the Tower was bombarded to kingdom come.
-Nightmare Daddy's family are angry because he died. Keep away from the Reef, Titan, and most other things in general if you desire to live free of Death loops.
-There's something going on with Osiris around the end of the red war. I don't know what it was, but it involved Saint-14, the Doomguy of Eliksni and Vex, to come back. As expected, don't meet up with him alone. Better yet: don't meet up with him.
-Hive god on mars. Keep away. Though the dust palace might still have stuff in it.
-IMPORTANT: Don't get greedy. Death is permanent, and some maniacs say otherwise, they're crazed undead. Do not believe their lies.
-Cayde dies if he goes to the prison of elders while a breakout is going on. Try to avoid this to preserve the unity of the Vanguard, even if they end up being a pain in the ass later on due to this.
-There's a Black Armoury drill on Nessus. Fetch it when possible, preferably before someone else does it first.
-Evil shit on the moon. Somehow get the remains of the ketch off the moon before physical nightmares come into existence.

I think that was good enough even for an idiot to realize what it meant. Of course, legibility was not my forte before, and it certainly was not now, but It couldn't be helped, I reckon.

A Plan on How to not die and improve the solar system, somewhat:

-IMPORTANT: Don't mess with guardians. No matter your plan, they will fuck your shit up. Yes, I mention this again. Don't.
-IMPORTANT Vol 2: Don't mess with humans either. Guardians will fuck you up.
1.-Find a way to get a stable Ether supply. Having a servitor hooked up to a methane reactor is a sure-fire way to accumulate a large amount.
2.-Grow the arms. Arms=Respect. Fallen find arms hot, apparently.
3.-Learn the customs. Interrogate the Servitor, then ask Failsafe to reboot its memory. I know it might sound cruel, but the less individuals that know about your past, the better. Keep in mind this means just about two individuals: the Fallen Captain, and Saleks-23.
4.-Get some armour for those exposed bones. Don't be picky on the origin.
5.-Fix the hull breach.
6.-Get some crew. Guardian, Fallen, the guy named Terry with the lazy eye. Any and all fit.
7.-You're not a tactitian, but teaching everyone to adhere to cover almost religiously, don't rush when there's bullets flying their way, and to retreat when the enemy inevitably rushes. It ought to be better than standing in an open field hoping to not get shot.
8.-Get a better, bigger ship. You need at least a small armada to fit inside of it before the Prison break.

I hesitantly turn the page.

Page 2 on the subject detailed to the left.

9.-Try to change the culture from the inside: No docking. Training before sending eliksni out to die, no death arenas. Cooperation instead of competition.
9a.-Find a Prime servitor to drive an even bigger ship.
10.-Establish a relationship with guardians were they hand over their useless engrams for regional materials. Do guardians even use spinmetal anymore? Who cares, hand it over to them anyway.
11.-Try to stablish establish a deal with the Black Armoury? If that doesn't work, try to make your own foundry. Add that to the possible things guardians can receive if they donate glimmer or weapons. This ends up being mutually beneficial.
11a.-Find a good name for the foundry.
12.-Avoid the inquisition.
13.-Avoid Saint-14's church.
14.-Intervene in the prison break, and try to avoid having Clyde Cayde die so the vanguard sticks to being one entity.
15.-Avoid messing with the scorned or the reef for at least 3 months after they go all insane.
16.-

I think I have planned for far enough. I pass a glance over to the horizon, and it's clear that there's a storm of some kind heading this way. I lived long enough in a rainy environment to know that kind of shadow was no shadow at all.

I sure hope it's not acid.

I turn to a new separation of the book. I'm not sure how many pages are between this one and the prior section, but I assume plenty of space to plan ahead for centuries.

Or decades, that too.

Things to remember:

-Cats as pets. Not the movie. Don't ask about the movie.
-Books: Just beg for some horror stories. I think the novel you ended up liking the most was either 4321, The House of Leaves, or the Mr Mercedes series. There's plenty of good reading out there, and now that you can understand Eliksni common, you shouldn't be limited to two languages now. Plus, extrasolar stores.
-Songs: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Mild High Club, David Gilmour, Camel, Rainbow, Miracle Orchestra, Electric Light Orchestra, Mc Marcos(? Check to see if that's his name), Ten Years Later, The Whos, Fleetwood Mac, Deep purple. That's some, there's others, and just like novels, I hope you don't limit yourself to human music. (But you better not start trashing on any of these because I swear I'll find a way to drown you with your own shit, yes, I know we're the same, but fuck that. Don't diss these bands.)
-Paintings: Francis Bacon, Vasili Kandinski, Andrew Warhola, René Magritte, Eero Saarine. Those are all I remember.
-Places: The Manhattan dead zone. Venus, as a planet. Enceladus, because 1: it's mostly un-looted, 2: you got to expose Clovis Bray. There should be a Vault somewhere on the Dust Palace, but it's likely looted.

Content with my work, the book slams shut, pen still inside, marking where I left off. Holding it in one hand, I grab the folding chair I had deliberately taken from the apartments below. Turns out, even in the future, laundry spaces are still used to store stuff when you don't have a warehouse. Even when you have a warehouse, this still applies. I drop the chair off under the ship, alongside the book, and I go back to get the drying clothes.

I can already hear some raindrops already impacting on the rooftop, and on the windows facing the sea. My comfortable pace turns into an uncomfortable jog, but nothing gets wetter than it already is. The sun is setting, which more or less guarantees that the rain will persist to some degree at night time.

The compartment under the ship slides open, and after some internal debating, I decide to keep work to a minimum: two painful hops, one to bring up the more rusted, plain foldable chair up with the journal, and the second to bring up the chair with the drying clothes.

<OBTAINED_RESOURCES_(query)>

<Just this:>
I triumphantly raise up the welding hood. I had no clue how to use it, but it should not only be able to keep my eyes intact, but also obscure my race to anyone un-observant enough. Plus, it was nice to wipe of the dust of a hundred-year-old mirror and not see a four eyed alien stare back. I knew pretending to be human was futile, but… it was still nice, knowing there was no one around and I was just able to goof around the raided homes of long gone-humans. I'm lucky there were any electronics left at all.

<PURPOSE_DUBIOUS_(endline) EXPLAIN_>

<Perhaps, the next rotation,>

I head for the front seat, reclining it a couple of degrees as I remotely close the hatch with the PDA (though I had to admit, if this was a PDA, I really wanted a multi-tool), and I close my eyes as the raindrops impact on the glass of the cockpit.

For the first time since I landed here, I feel content as I drift off to sleep.

(I) Tactical Information
For the Staff of Thumos, The Unbroken Legion Commander
From Red Legion Chosen Cohort/Auxiliaries/Strategic Intelligence Maniple
Tactical Analysis

I: Incident Report, Pursuant To Analysis

Red Legion III Cohort/Century 2/Maniple 3
12 Squad [OCUPATIONAL INF]
TASK:
- secure grid 065x2411, destroy any guardian/Dead Person targets present in the perimeter.
OUTCOME:
- successful patrolling of the area. Squad 4 reported un-usual movements proceeding from the interior of civilian buildings.

1 Squad [TAC INF]
TASK:
- secure grid 065x2411, assess the validity of possible hostiles in the area.
OUTCOME:
- successful patrolling of the area. Psion "Sniffer" unit 17 reported a foreign chain of thoughts proceeding from civilian structures in sub-grid 024.50x205.43

1 Paired [FLA INF]
TASK:
- secure sub-grid 065.23x2411.43, assist Psion unit 17 in hostile search
OUTCOME:
- destruction of two civilian locations. Psion "Sniffer" unit 17 neutralized by a hostile "Falling" unit. Falling unit retreated with success. Further search of the surrounding area provided no results.

II: Analysis

This is an peculiar engagement. The first of its kind since the occupation of the City.

Falling conflicts during our occupation of this system have usually been focused on ship to ship combat, with a few, in between land engagements on Nessus and gird 045x009. Clothing analysis reveals that, even under layers of more traditional camouflage, it still wore the colors corresponding to the so called "House of Dusk" present within the system.
This lone incursion might not be the only one of its kind in currently occupied territory. Prior conflicts with Falling forces showcase that there has already been a breach on the security of the grid.

Intelligence suggests that that their likely objective is to retrieve the Traveler.

City wide searches are recommended.

For the Dominus,
Our highest duty done,
Unflinchingly loyal,
Red Legion D/M/SI

The Bracus finishes re-reading the message he had sent to his Val. It's a sort of remembrance ritual, to be done before a mission of any importance. 'It's important to know what led you to this point'- he reckoned, 'so that you know what to expect in the near future.'

The Seventh Company Heavy Incendiary Maniple proceeds to march down the dark, damp tunnels underneath the city. Tunnels large enough to rival those that had been constructed at the European Dead Zone, Mumbai, and Appalachian Dead Zone. As diminutive and as fragile as the humans and their resistance ended up being, the after shadow of their greatness disappointed Bracus Thox. On their prime, they would have been glorious to combat. Now? Even their undead Guardians fled from them, if they didn't stay behind to face a futile fight that would end pathetically for them.

Just like what happened on Mercury, just like happened on this city when it was first occupied, it made for boring combat. Squishy, small targets without the "Paracasual" abilities that made Guardians such a thrill to hunt.

He certainly hoped this wouldn't end up being a similar situation.

The boots of the troops begin getting stained by the mud recovering sections of the floor. There's no banners, no decorations, nothing to stand out from the concrete walls and pillars and mud and the occasional graffiti.

What impressed the Bracus about this whole structure, twisting and turning and spiralling, almost festering beneath the homes of the apes, was how it wasn't meant to be seen. The vacant underbelly of the Human's last stand. It was almost poetic, in a bizarre sort of way. The structure that had impacted him the most on first sight was the one never meant to be seen.

Even if the wandering seemed almost aimless at this point, the Incendiors under Thox, the Smoldering Wasp, knew better than to speak out against their leader. He had a plan, surely. He always did. But even from behind their helmets, they knew that the Bracus that was commanding them to march around in circles, searching for an enemy the war beasts would have found by now, was the sign of something troublesome, but rewarding:
Obsession.

There's thing about Cabal: they grow depending on how much they feel they deserve that growth. Not only in size, but in strength. As the prior emperor would put it: "Grow Fat from Strength". A content Cabal is a small Cabal, is how the saying went. Small ego for mediocre warriors. That's what made the Cabal Empire as formidable as it was unstable. No one could grow content. After all, how could one do so, when the status they deserved was larger than the one they had gotten stuck with?

It was these very same feelings the ones currently being driven through the mind of the Smoldering Wasp. Building Death-Boxes up above in case the impossible happened and the Almighty was disabled was a sound plan, but, he came to realize, it was focused too much on the short term of things. Being a constant thorn on the side? Thox let out a toothy smile from underneath the plated helmet he wore. Should he had not been wearing it, the lack of teeth and a piece of his jaw would have been painfully obvious, but he wore the recent scars with pride. An encounter with the Hive underneath the remains of Old Russia had led him to realize the full extent of the possible resistance in the region. This was the time when he had gotten promoted to Bracus, though he had not yet fully seen a situation that required him to grow up to the position.

That was, until he was, on his request, sent to purge any possible intruders, cleanse them for their violation against the Unbeaten Red Legion. He expecting something similar to what he had found cleaning the suicidal husks, but instead, he came to realise, this was something more.

*Call the Vall.*

The closest incendior, a so-called Zhua'aun, obliges without question.

*Purpose of the call?*

*We're to…*
the stemmed Bracus tastes the words on his mouth, before letting them go, *…repurpose the local architecture.*

=============================|

The following 3 chapters will focus on the "minor" repercussions of having someone be spotted while they raided homes for supplies.

2.- A Close Call in two parts
A Close Call in Two Parts

Evergreen-12 was unsure of many things since the traveller fell.

She had lost her uncaringness for the Cabal, for one.

She had lost the sense of direction that was provided by being one of Ikora's hidden. Her boss was gone, just like the rest of her comrades. No way to contact them, either.

Her Scout Rifle had run out of bullets, and her ghost couldn't negate the natural loss of ammunition that the Light provided.

For the first time since she first arrived in the city, she had a renewed fear of death.

But she was sure of two things:
There were Fallen in the city (somehow).
The Cabal were building underground.

Even if it did not seem as much, the two, were, surely, connected. It didn't take a Warlock to figure that out. One Dreg gets spotted, and suddenly, there was heavy cabal machinery heading straight underground. It reminded her of Mars, and it wouldn't surprise her if the machinery was just repainted Dust Giant equipment. There were certain similarities between the two, but she was unable to tell without the ever-constant stream of information from her Ghost. It's not that it had died, thank the Traveller of that, but…

She passes a glance over to her Twilight Shelled half. It still looked drowsy, almost sagging in posture. It wasn't bothering her with the conversation, or anything of the kind. It wasn't even mentioning any sort of "fun facts" or "Ghost Rumors". He had his slumps, for sure, but it was never this bad.

"Are you alright?"

The Hunter's ghost doesn't answer. It continues floating drowsily, looking towards the floor to the floor.

"Is it because of my hand?"

She had carried the lost, mangled limb with her ever since the stray group of Taken had removed it by force.

"Listen, you shouldn't be upset over these things. It's not the first time I've lost a limb, and you know that. " The Exo's voice croaks. It was easier being a hypocrite before, when losing a limb was less of a problem.

"But we couldn't see this coming. None of us could."

For all the afternoons spent getting killed in the crucible, she was never as afraid of death as she was now.

"Talk to me?"

Her ghost remains silent. It looks around, it receives stimuli, but it remains quiet. Sulking over one unseen failure.

"Please?"

There's no reply. There's no need for one. A silent agreement, between two halves. Sitting on the small outcrop of the cliff in the woods, time would seem to speed up, as both Hunter and Ghost refuse to move, or acknowledge anything around them. They sit and gaze upon the blackened sphere

With a voice distorted by the wearing of age, sorrow, and, the light blue floating probe speaks for the first time in four days. "I'm sorry.'"

"It's alright little bud. There's nothing to be sorry for, we're both living, and to be frank, I think I got lucky losing my hand. I don't think you could have moved on without me if I had carried through on my plan."

Ghost, the Ghost of Evergreen-12, doesn't cry, and he doesn't sob. Ghosts can't do either of those. He allows himself to be picked up, and to be kept in a light embrace, having his fears shushed away. Their silent understanding over the failure of saving the Traveller looms overhead, almost staring them down.

The blast of a spaceship heading off echoes through the woods. And it certainly brings the powerless Guardian and Ghost back to the present. They share a quick look, before the Ghost hides, while and light blue shell shimmering into nothing, and the single-armed Exo stands up, picking up her mangled limb from the ground beside the ledge she had been sitting on before, looking into the deep of the city.

Maybe it was for the best that she was intercepted by the Taken. If she had followed through…

It would have been suicide. Slow and painful, there was no such thing as a "quick" demise for a Guardian. Like a tragedy in two parts.

Even now, there was the constant screeching of warning signals shooting into her conscience. As she begins the long haul away from the City.

There was no way to reach the European Dead Zone to get her emergency cache, but the Manhattan Radioactive zone would take, at best, a few weeks of non-stop walking, and she kept her first ship in the subway, so it should be relatively untouched.

Things might not look up right now, but nothing lasted forever, not good things, not bad things… not her, nor her ghost. And perhaps, one reckoned, that was for the best. The universe might get too loud if it was any other way.

=============================================​
=============================================​

A Close Call in Two Parts

Ever since the light vanished, he had felt nothing. No determination, no joy, no pride.

It tries to remember a funny joke, but it elicits no response. His guardian's firm determination to head into the city to "kill as many Cabal as possible" was crushed swiftly under the surprise strike of two Taken Minotaurs, that probably had made use of the communication blackout to approach the floating machine as it slept, but by now had been rendered comatose.

They shouldn't have been as much trouble as they had been. They even turned his guardian's left arm into a mangled mess. She laughed it off, of course, she always did, but he couldn't shake off the feeling of something being completely and utterly wrong.

He calls for the light, as they stand on the ridge not too far from a waterfall, and look down past the trees into the mangled remains of The Last City.

She pulls out a loose scope, mostly as a way to watch over the city, and he was used to this, but he never felt so… empty.

He calls for the light, but it doesn't respond.

He does it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

And-

"Are you alright?"

The Ghost does not answer, for he knows the answer is obvious.

"Is it because of my hand?" He could pretend it was. It would be better than answering truthfully, in this situation.

"Listen, you shouldn't be upset over these things. It's not the first time I've lost a limb, and you know that." That bit was true. He did wish it wasn't so, however. He should be better than that! There were ghosts that didn't have to expose themselves to heal their guardians, but… he really wasn't it. He would still try to do so but…

Now he'll never get a chance.

"But we couldn't see this coming. None of us could."
That doesn't help at all.

"Talk to me?"
To what end? There's nothing to say. He wouldn't be surprised if she sought something like the Red Death after this.

"Please?"

"I'm sorry.'"

He wanted to apologise… for… well, being a shoddy ghost, and being Mr obvious most of the time, and for not being able to save her hand, or to notice the Taken minotaurs, or the lack of coms, or how her ship had been blasted out of the sky and he was unable to save it, or how he seemed to be the "weaker link" in the duo, and the number of times she had to save him from a scavenger group, or just getting stuck, and how… "It's alright little bud. There's nothing to be sorry for, we're both living, and to be frank, I think I got lucky losing my hand. I don't think you could have moved on without me if I had carried through on my plan."

He remains quiet. That was true.

There's a blast of a distant spaceship. And he knows nearly instantly what is going on her head.

From this day on, he was never complaining about the supply caches that Evergreen made.

"'Afterthoughts
Afterthoughts

The sign of decay in Eliksni society… it disgusted her. It was somewhat amusing what little value could be extracted from that, and the oddity of the nameless drekh's mannerisms and its prophesies foretelling the future close future. Had he fallen victim to the Vex's machinations, and gone mad as to turn against his own? But that didn't explain its sudden appearance, or why it wrote in the human tongue. Perhaps he had under-estimated the infectiousness of the ape's culture.

It was yet another thing to be on the lookout for.

Then there was the fact that this drehk was able to form a personality with the constant memory loss by itself. Usually, it was always in groups of three or more that these maniacal plans were concocted, but this one had formulated one by itself, in a single day.

This was… troubling, to say the least. Especially considering the fantasy story, it had made for itself. She might have to prohibit the ape's music if it had managed to warp one Eliksni like this. Postponing visits to the Empty Tank was an indefinite agreement until evidence proving otherwise was found.

Then, there were the prophesies.

They were not spoken or even written like those from the now-defunct House of Rain, but if there was something about them, there was the mention of one of the light-bearers, the mention of the king of the reef, undead Eliksni, the existence of peculiar figure once mentioned by her vandals, the continued existence of the Warmind, the mention of several light-bearers, a breakout of the prison of elders.

But the most pressing issue was the existence of the sun destroying superweapon. The fact that this… leaflet, had correctly mentioned the de-powering of the light-bearers, and other captain's scouts had confirmed the existence of a machine anchored to the sun. There was a chance the other bits of information were true as well. This left him with the question: How was this information obtained? Was it procured from a machine similar to those of the House of Rain? Had she managed to see past the incoherence of the Machines on this planet?

<<All is stockpiled, Captain. Nothing was left behind.>>

This snapped the captain from her thoughts, and back into the grim reality they all had to face. This planetoid was unfit for harvesting ether, the life here, as natural as it seemed, somehow resisted the conversion. Her crew was starving, and she would not allow it. Giving off the simple order of preparing the ship for takeoff, Talas sends of a quick enough retort to one of the many Marauders already boarding the ship. One of the many splicers from the dissolved houses, tasked in building a new high servitor. Before it was a sort of… back burner project, as her crew deciphered the vexed machine's technology. With the impending plan of raiding the largest human camp after their walls fell, the completion of this project was vital, as it could very well decide if this assault was going to end in a grueling defeat or a lengthy, but worthwhile, victory.

<<Were the parts sufficient?>>

<<To a degree, shipmaster.>>

The this… location, this Drehk mentioned. A Farm, not so far from European Dead Zone. That was the target, and with de-powered Light-Bearers, claiming it would be somewhat of a possibility, instead of a radical impossibility. As her own captain and mother had stated before her untimely death: 'difficult, but manageable'. Her slight gait is simply a consequence of the; a result of shortage the entire crew was beginning to feel. There was no hope for future in this hunk of rock. They would either take that farm, or die trying. It depended on her small group of splicers, and the desperation of the rest. Brutal, but effective. It had not failed her against the machines in the concrete wastes of the ape's hotter planet, and it would not fail her now.

Boarding was swift. No Glimmer was to be wasted prior to the first strike so the usual teleportation was not to be used. Boarding was, like the times resources were close to none, done by foot.

The unpolished, worn, somewhat rusted interior of the ship slowly grew silent as the piloting servitor closed the hatch to the outside landscape, and slowly, but surely flight begun. The head ship of her relatively small fleet was nothing to scoff at. Smaller groups had successfully raided human settlements, and devoured "little lights" a multitude of times. Still, even with no light bearers, even the smallest cornered animal fought back. Thus, as she sat on her throne, another order was barked to one of her confidants:

<<Call for the baron. Inform him about our… disappointing numbers.>>

<<Shall I inform about the attack, as well>>

A pensive silence stretches for a few seconds, before a reply is quickly snapped out, composed of a single word:
<<No.>>

If she played her cards right, she would crush the opposition swiftly, and without much conflict. Constant bombardment was a tactic she was eager to explore, especially after she heard the tales from multiple of the Wolves of a Captain doing the same to isolated Cabal bases to "soften them up". It was nothing but a simple number reducing tactic, one that could not have its value understated, though it's collateral effects could not be forgotten about.

So what was she to do, after requesting more ground soldiers after declaring a collection mission? Simple, claim that the machines' numbers were increasing, and the growing number of confluxes around the cave they have made of a base demonstrated this. They would send a scout, corroborate that this, was, in fact, true, and let her be. After all, considering how captains were slain by the dozens by these so called "guardians" there was out to be at least one captain-less crew, or a large collection of un-powered shanks. This larger crew was not to last, however. The main purpose was to soften up the ground targets.

In other words, for as long as it took to build a substantial force, she was just accumulating cannon fodder. And after that? The likeliness of all surviving would most likely reduce the size of her crew back to its more manageable proportions.

The Apes even had a term for it, it seemed: "Survival of the fittest." This might not be the perfect solution to reclaiming the great machine, but she reckoned it was a right one, under all circumstances.

Chapter 24
A Time of My Own

Venus, I came to realize, is a whole lot like home. It rains often, there's the distant blowing of wind, and the warmth of the environment never truly leaves you alone. Of course I really didn't care much for the warmth, I hardly felt it anymore, and the rain issue only mattered if I had put some scavenged clothes to dry, but otherwise, this building overlooking the sea had become a sort of "home away from home", in spite of the fact that in terms of warms, my home was the polar opposite.

As for things to do, there was no lack of it either. There was plenty to disassemble, and much to find. Either to fix the cracked hull of the ship, it's air filtration system, or just to stockpiling of the sake of stockpiling. Fate favors the prepared, after all. And if there was anything I did not want to suffer once more, was to be caught with "my pants down" so to say. It was not likely to save me from a teleporting maniac, but if anything broke down I was likely to have the parts to fix it so, even if I really didn't know what I exactly needed. Pipes, coolant systems, screens… they all went in the sack, and then on the ship. There was not much to loot, considering I vividly remember that there were Fallen, House of Winter, who had made themselves a home over here. But whatever remained, if I thought it might be useful, went in one of the many containers I had hauled from the building itself. In addition to this, the journal and I had pretty much become inseparable, in fear of having more pages stolen.

There was a big issue/afterthought in all of this, however: the servitor.

Seleks-23, was, for a lack of a better term, alien. It had tried to disassemble the navigation gear of the ship itself because it was "it's job", insisted in following me around, and would often float motionless in a corner of the ship attempting to contact the "prime". I was glad it hadn't asked for a telecommunication, because every time I had proceeded to ask it about the replies it received, if any, was always null. A negative response, and one that I didn't completely trust.

It wasn't entirely negative either, however. It was… hard, maybe impossible for a lack of better term, to find a source willing to discuss Eliksni culture and customs as willing as it was. For all his maniacal focus on trying to get me to allow him to pilot the ship, or to take him out for harvesting ether, It seemed almost jubilant to discuss the intricacies of the culture thy had carved from themselves after the Whirlwind. And like a lost child, I listened.

I learnt about an ireliis bow, probably one of the only offerings to peace there was. A show of submission, more or less, but I reckoned it was pretty mandatory if I didn't want to have my throat opened. There was the tales of the House of Stone, and their martyr of a Kell. The prophesies of the House of Rain, as low as they were in the social pyramid. The prophesies of the Kell of Kells, while I had read on it before, was never dictated in a robotic monotone. Safe to say, staying focused was a pretty hard thing to do. Then came the tale of the Dreg with the one thousand arms, which I quickly dismissed mentally as propaganda, and then there were the multitude of tales of The Darkness itself.

Safe to say, while these were the most interesting, they didn't reveal much.

The existence of the Taken, was a given, of the Hive too.

What really caught my attention was how it all came down. It's almost as the "how" exactly, was lost to time. But what interested me the most was the following phrase:
<<THE SKY FELL[statement]>>
There really was no logical explanation for that, unless gravity was seriously fucked up, the atmosphere dissolved into space, or a meteorological phenomenon of impossible proportions. That didn't bode well if the pyramids returned. I knew it was the "endgame" that was more or less stablished in the original game, but It lead me to realize I probably didn't want to be on Venus when they came knocking on Sol once more.

Best of all: the servitro hadn't blasted me from existence, if I was to consider something positive about having to share an emergency spacecraft with a floating orb that visibly dissolved any plant life I had carried onto the ship itself. No wonder why the Devil's lair was filled to the brim with human bones. I certainly hoped it was not in an act of ritualistic sacrifice.

As for what I was doing in the given moment? I was currently admiring the first, and so far, only, piece of glimmer I had found. Clenching the somewhat rectangular piece of… whatever it was on my hand, it was curious to see how light traveled through it. It almost seemed to move, like the reflection of water, even if it's position hadn't been altered from a start. Other than being mesmerizing, and somewhat of a time waster, I had already used a decently sized chunk of it. I had managed to "fabricate", for a lack of a better term, two magazines for the handgun and four shells for the shotgun. The rest, I decided, would go towards fueling the ship I was using. Slinging the bag I had carried since I had exited the City, I dumped the block of "encoded matter" inside, and zipped it shut before standing up, and stretching some to make up for my lack of any activity for today. While I did enjoy this sort of "recreational break" I couldn't waste much more time. The Red War is one of the few moments where I can trust the lack of guardians to just explore everywhere holding off for a little while, if only to allow my legs to heal somewhat was something I considered to be quite clever. Of course, without proper physical therapy, there was no way to tell if I was going to be able to walk or run without a limp after this. I certainly hoped this was not the case.

And so, waltzing down the stairs of the building I certainly hope to make the fourth day in the planet that was actively regressing into a ball of acid more productive than the last two. I mean, sure, listening to whatever tunes were installed in the PDA was neat and all, but to be honest, it's kind of hard to relax when the only tunes the prior owner listened to was a mix of Metalica, Green Day, Deep Purple, and some others whose name I didn't recognize.

At least he had Sweet Child of Mine installed in the public CPU of the thing, instead of his personal account. I might not have known René J., but I certainly admired some of the music he enjoyed.

So, to do today:

-Finally leave the building and try to not die,
-Collect Biomass & Water to make more diluted Ether,
-Find something to replace the obscenely slow pump action shotgun that I was hauling around,
-Get a speeder sparrow. This isn't Star Wars.

Nodding to myself on this particularly vague plan, I re-traced the steps I had originally taken in my head, and adding the ones I would take in the future. Towards the academy that was probably most famous for their experiments regarding the Vex, it would seem. Maybe they had something on regards with SIVA or anything of the sort. Not being able to "scan" objects beyond using my eyes was a serious hindrance, one that, if this trip proved fruitful, would bother me no more.

And so, the double doors of the building were opened, and the outside was… well, it was something for sure. It was more overgrown than I had originally anticipated it being, so collecting "biomass" was as easy as uprooting some particularly bulbous plants and calling it a day. As for the rest? Well, It was sort of hard to describe. The times where architecture had "consumed me" so to say, were few and in between. And thus, tall buildings were always something that impressed me. These open spaces, with tall pillars of concrete and glass would never cease to amaze me.

Anyhow, moving on from my admiration for the local architecture, I had a bunch of things to do, and the only real issue guiding me thought this all was the vague memory of one of the many golden chests of Venus, back from when I played the original Destiny. Now, more than ever, I wished I had stuck around for the following expansions, instead of being disillusioned with the original product, and quickly dropping it when the constant interest in strikes, the campaign, and being curb stomped in PVP faded. After all, I was little more than a child focused on trying to speed run platformers. First person shooters never really garnered my interest until after I got well and deeply engrossed in horror games after discovering Outlast, followed by Silent Hill. By that time, Destiny was well into it's second game, and by the time I had gotten back in, I had missed out on large chunks of the lore.

I didn't really regret it so. I had other things to do, books to read, games to play, places to go, but I certainly wished there was some sort of "complete compilation" of all of the lore present. It certainly wasn't going to help me now, but it would have been decently useful. Maybe it did exist, and I had failed to find it. Alas, I was stuck reading document at a time, attempting and failing to get a full picture. In a way, it's no more different than the SCP mythos, with all it's twists, turns, and alternate realities. But in one case, It came due to no planning whatsoever, and in the other, it was a purposeful design choice.

The dirt, grass, give away to tiling, and, soon enough, I know where I am. The wind carries droplets, and, fortunately, the reminder of my path always had some sort of overhead covering. The way back, however, possessed no such luxury, and having to dry these set of clothes was always a drag. I might have to post pone returning, if that was the case, and anyhow, I always desired to not be restricted by mere "doors" like I was in the game. This place is living and breathing, and just like visiting any of the wonders of the world, there's always this layer of… mysticism, so to say. You can admire all of the pictures you like, but there's nothing quite like being there oneself.

Gotten past the steps, and into the partially flooded tunnel, I take a moment to fill a metallic canteen I had found a day earlier, kept buried under some rubbish. Partially rusted, it was pretty unfit for drinking, but I wasn't going to even dare trying the orange water of these shallow puddles, kept hidden underground.

Making something go for longer is… well, something desperate individuals do. I've read that during famines, sometimes sawdust was added to the mass of the bread to make it go for longer. I'm not really sure if this would apply here, though. For one, Seleks-23 (a name which he was quite insistent on not resuming it so) was able to "process" any and all organic matter. Water ceased to smell of decay, moss would flake and vanish into a fine mist, and even the bark of a fallen tree faced the same fate, when all was presented to him. As for testing bones, I was unwilling to do so. I was conscious that the dead didn't think, but I was unwilling to try it out nevertheless. Calcium phosphate was more mineral than tissue, and I'm not even sure if Iron was utilized in the creation of ether. I was not particularly eager to find out if there was anything left if the machine tried decomposing an animal instead of plants.

And here I was! Turning around the concrete pillar, I was pleasantly surprised to discover, that, against all odds, this chest had gone relatively unlooted, if I were to consider. Either these things replenished themselves, or someone was careless enough to not remove whatever contents were inside. I check around twice, just to make sure, before finally, and carefully, opening it.

Inside, I found something that, I had honestly wished for. An automatic rifle, it would seem. Two full mags to go with, not counting the one it originally came with. Not something I was entirely willing to replace the shotgun with, but a good enough middle to long range substitute. In any situation, I was going to keep both of them, especially since I had already spent some of my Glimmer fabricating ammunition for the shotgun. Unlike the shotgun, this rifle seemed to even have a pre-installed flashlight. Granted, I had little to no use for it, but a flashlight was a flashlight, and it's blinding potential when caught by surprise was nothing to scoff at.

I talk from experience here.

In addition to this, there was a small amount of Glimmer inside of the chest as well. Nothing extraordinary, but I reckoned it was enough to refuel the ship some more, and hopefully make another magazine for the new weapon added to the arsenal. It's nice blue, well-kept shade contrasted starkly with the more worn colors of the shotgun I had.

Anyhow, ignoring the fact that if things went south I might have to abandon the rifle due to a lack of a sling, I was quite happy with this new development. A middle range weapon with (what I hoped to be) a higher impact than the pistol, and a more constant fire rate, if nothing else really applied. After finding a somewhat dry patch of land, I could also confirm a larger quantity of rounds as well, with 24 rounds compared the measly 15 of the pistol and the 6 of the shotgun. In addition to this, this firearm possessed the revolutionary concept of a scope. Who knew some pieces of glass and metal could make such an outstanding difference? Not me, for sure.

In general, this event just seemed like a massive victory, in spite of the rain beginning to make the water level rise , forcing me up a crate if I didn't want my second set of pants getting wet.

That was when the echoes of a distant gunfight snapped me from my idealistic world. It was… too far to proceed from the building I had stablished a base. It came from the opposite direction. There was no doubt that what I was hearing was good old projectile weaponry, as there was no way, without a doubt, that anything short of a torch cannon could produce that much noise. Even if it was a torch cannon, the sounds would be vastly different. Thus, braving the rain, I decided to finally stop cowering, and after pulling the sleeves of my pants upwards, I waddled though the growing pools of water and mud heading for the destination I originally had in mind: the Ishtar Commons. If there was no gunfight happening over there, I was likely to instead try to make my way to the endless steppes by the time they were hopefully dead. Cruel, I know, but there was no evidence that ghosts couldn't revive their original guardians after the Red War ended. And if they were just regular people? They should have followed Zavala, because going to a vex ridden world without intentions to hide was just asking for maiming or an untimely death. And if they were alive? I hoped they wouldn't shoot me on sight, but it would do me some good to just stay far from their path.

And thus, a very idiotic, incredibly dangerous plan was born: head back to base.

I felt sorry for those fools for even trying to go against the Vex, I really did, but I could not afford being spotted in a planet wide search. I did not have the tools, much less the firepower, to continue sub-existing here. And thus, the option of returning to Earth was very tantalizing. It was just as abundant in biological life, if not more, than Venus.

It still was, however, under constant siege by the Red Legion, and getting caught in a fistfight with creatures that might as well be rhinos was not comforting in the least.

The reef? No thanks. I did not feel comfortable enough practicing Eliksni customs, especially when most of the ones in the reef itself belonged to dusk. Showing up without house colors was bound for condemnation, even If I wandered outside with Seleks-24. Especially if I did so. The Seleks line of servitors belonged to Winter, then Dusk. Even making a deal with the Spider would be damning, as it would persist until he claimed otherwise.

So what then? Nessus was barred, the Earth was under conquest, the reef was filled with radical fundamentalists with cultural crises, Venus was going to be swarming with vex for some time, Mercury was always swarming with Vex, the Moon still belonged to the Hive, Mars was a war zone, and any other locations were probably the same. Staying in space would be viable, if I had discovered any other way of artificial gravity that didn't involve magic or repurposed Vex tech.

In essence, every option I took had it's fair share of risks, especially Nessus. I didn't want to expose failsafe, or the empty Exo frame she had begun calling her "body" to possible harm. Mercury, it too, was right out. Allowing the Vex any possibility of simulating me, I argued, was pretty awful. Mars? While it did have some hiding spots, I generally wanted to stray from the species that claimed that orbital bombardment was a viable solution to deal with Guardians, which was a shame as I really enjoyed the Dust Palace strike.

This left Earth and Europa once more as viable options. While I would enjoy taking my chances with the icy wasteland once more, I had the slight feeling I would starve. So Earth it was, then.

The rain pelted everything as I made a run for the building.

Chapter 25
Move

The chair lands one the metal floor of the ship before me, and when I do, I make sure to quickly remove any wet clothes to avoid flooding the inside of the ship when the door closes, quickly swapping them out for those I had left on the broken seat to dry. Quickly strapping both the broken seat, I quickly remove the poorly folded, dry clothes I had originally scavenged from the last city from the cabinet I had cleared to make space for it.

I also make a mental note to remember to always keep an eye on the servitor. I'm not sure what it was trying to do, but the presence of a purple glow on the recently scavenged automatic rifle couldn't be anything good. A quick snatch, and the rifle is no longer under the unblinking eye of the metal orb.

It's unnerving how I can physically feel it's stare, digging its way through my back. Not literally, mind that, but more metaphorical in nature, like trying to assess the intention of this incredibly minor aggression. I take seat, turning on the console and strapping myself in before finally responding to this silent inquiry.

<<We're leaving. The machines will soon be upon us.>>

<<PILOT[query]>>

<<The ship has a navigation system.>>

<<NO_STRAPPING_WILL_BE_NESSESARY[statement]>>

<<If you say so.>>

And that was the end of the conversation for then. I think it would be safe to assume that the anti-gravity system was going to be sufficient for it to not bounce around, but the thought still made me nervous.

The screen depicting the navigation system flickered to life, in all of the minimalistic simplicity.

This orange circle meant Venus! This other blue one was Earth! And that big orange and the big yellow one is Jupiter. I was unamused when I first boarded the ship by just assigning a colour to each "planet" but I guessed it might save processing power. I still wonder why they couldn't just label them if they were going to just colour them in any way.

Anyhow, after I had selected earth, I had to make sure to specify the location. I didn't want to land on some unlabelled highlands close to the city once more, so I had to be very careful in selecting where I wanted to go.

While I was interested in a myriad of places, I did have to make sure I picked somewhere I recognized on the map. Landing in the middle of War Zone No 34 or Hive Infested City no 43 is not appealing, not even close. I'd rather stay on the side-lines, and not die.

I hesitate for a moment after the ship takes off.

I couldn't hide forever. I mean, I could, but I would not be accomplishing one of the few goals I had made for myself. Still, I proceeded with this plan. I had a legitimate reason to not want to begin contact: hundreds of years of mutual anonymity and violence don't vanish with a simple apology. The same went the other way around. Eliksni were not about to attempt to change their logic over an extended hand. In their view, it would render all of their sacrifices moot.

And in any case, whoever led the only house, I think it was the Kell of Kings, he would not approve of this. Getting rid of him as I stood now was close to impossible, and frankly, I'd rather not engage in wanton violence against someone many times my size. I'd rather not engage in fights at all, but picking ones I could win was an acceptable substitute.

The ship takes off after what seems like an eternity. Droplets dance away from the windows, and whirling of the servitor floating on the back of the ship signifying it's an effort to remain in a single place, relative to the ship at least. Clouds fly past and soon become just another element of the backdrop. The tint of the sky vanishes and…

I don't think I'll ever get used to suddenly seeing space appear before my eyes. Stars shining in the distance, and the planet I was just on… it's landmass just appearing so small.

From up here, everything seems insignificant.

There's nothing quite like it.

That's when the spaceship, once more, begins propelling itself though the dark before…

I close my eyes, last time I had kept them open for the jump I was witnessing kaleidoscopes wherever I looked. It was not fun. And the cabin almost became… compressed, for a lack of a better term. It felt more claustrophobic, almost, and the air seemed heavier. Something which I found quite odd, because nothing inside seemed to move at all.

It was easier to tell when the ship finally stopped being in the weird kaleidoscope space, because that usually caused whatever was not secured to throw itself forward, as if it were catching up with whatever movement they had seemingly lost by cheating out on physics..

Almost like the curve after a drop in a roller coaster.

But even that, stopped, and I was face to face with the planet which I still hoped I would be able to call home in some years: Earth. The "Big Blue Marble" that that show had called it.

It took me a moment to realize the ship was finally closing up. I disliked re-entry. It just felt like falling. It might as well be called falling in style.

Eventually, the map updated. It didn't show two tiny dots, but rather, a partial map of the Earth. Partial, because, well, it was green coloured landmasses slowly updating as the ship entered the atmosphere. Clouds rolled up, then past. The ground seemed to grow and slowly drift by down below, seemingly speeding up as the ship got closer.
Eventually, the ship descends even further, and drifting downwards, the map updates once more, zooming in to show in one extreme a somewhat rhombic shape, which I assumed was the ship, and the destination, which was just shown as more green. I had faith that the self-navigation system would not make me crash into one of the many concrete buildings that composed the second place I had chosen to make myself a refuge in: Old Chicago. It was unlikely to be filled with swathes of people, especially since the Farm was probably had the highest concentration of survivors since the initial attack and subsequent massacre.

I really hoped this was the case.

The marshland below grows closer, and eventually, the ship slows down, almost hovering above yet another stereotypically rectangular building, and slowly descending, landing with a resounding "thud".

<<No troubles with the trip, I hope?>>

<<NEGATIVE[statement]>>

<<Good.>>

The switch that opens the underbelly hatch is pressed, and the machine obliges without much question. The outside, colder air is finally allowed to mix with the gasses inside of the ship. It didn't bother me much, but it did put a grim picture in regard of the clothing I had put to dry:
It would take a long time to do so.

And that absolutely sucked.

In addition to this, I had still to find a way to replace the shell of the servitor. With exposed circuits, it was an easy target for anyone seeking to put me out of commission. Plus, my welding when I had originally fixed it had been sub-optimal. Having a shell for this lad would go a long way in preserving my only source of sustenance, as far as I was aware, anyhow.

Shafts of overgrown concrete rise up from below. Some manage to extend upwards, for tenths of floors.

It's funny how nonconforming to reality these buildings have.

"Skyscrapers".

As if they were going to scratch something from a non-existing celestial roof. Of course, the real term meant something different, a skyscraper blocks the view of the sky, and it also stands out from all around. Supposedly, at least.

The whirling of Seleks brings attention to the fact that, once more, for his own wellbeing and my own, he should remain on the ship.

He had exposed circuitry and machinery, and I wasn't too keen on having to repair damage beyond my expertise.

On the other hand, unless I wanted to wait for an exceedingly lengthy chat conversation to go on, I should probably take the only ball of floating metal around that knew how to smelt rust into iron, because as far as I could tell the chances of a non-rusted, well-preserved sheet of steel lying around was close to none. I say nothing, and allow him to stick around.

It almost seems to chirp in acknowledgement, but it could just be my brain making up stuff, humanising this inherently inhuman companion.

I was probably insisting on entering first into any room, though. I knew servitors could provide short bursts of immunity, It would only make sense to abuse this whenever entering new rooms.

The door leading to the roof opens up easily enough, no coercion necessary from ages-old wood that leaves it's remains on the hand that coerced it open. The stairs of the apartment complex beckons us inside.

I reckon that if anyone is watching us cautiously proceed down a single flight of stairs, checking over the railing, behind us, past the door.

All goes by painfully slow, and the actions taken are careful, almost rehearsed. Doors are swung open, there's a quick inspection of the insides of the room, then a quick removal of anything that might remotely be of value, such as well-preserved picture frames, any item that the servitor categorised as "copper" or "Aluminium" were snatched away as well.

All and all, a pretty good haul by the time the "careful march" proceeds back to the emergency stairway, and back onto the ship. Even inside of the ship, yet another of the many cabinets that I had purposefully emptied became full with scrap parts.

I was unsure if I should be more selective in picking which scrap to keep and which to throw away, but I reckon that if it can be molten down to slag or repurposed, then there was no harm in considering stuffing all writing supplies in a single cabinet, whoever, there was a disappointing lack of undamaged electronics in comparison to what remained in Europa and Venus. Kind of surprising too, considering the Shattered Coast at least had one relatively well preserved apparatus per floor.

This probably meant that Guardians were more of pack rats than Eliksni was when they still had separate houses.

If I'm being frank, I'm quite unsure what to do with this information. There's not even silverware left behind, which is pretty interesting too.

This surely explained the lack of any seat frame in the decaying husk of cars. That, or I'm just assuming stuff over my own frustration over not being able to find a seat to replace the broken one in the ship.

I really disliked using it as a drying rack and nothing more, but I'd really not stain what little clothes I had with the rust of the foldable chairs. It's funny how I didn't even notice the large, almost circular splotch in the poncho until one full day after I had first made a temporary home in the Shattered Coast.

I eventually lost count of how many back and forth trips went by. I knew we hadn't landed early, and being safe rather than sorry was worth all of the caution in the world. Especially when doors refuse to budge, and usually end up revealing similarly monotone scenes.

Sometimes the doors were stuck. Fortunately, decades-old wood isn't that strong. Especially if those decades number in the hundreds (possibly).

Sometimes, the door was barred shut. The little times that opening them proved successful proved that not even blocking an entrance could stop looting, especially considering the only chest we found in the building so far, a repurposed cabal one, it would even seem, had been looted dry. Not a single speck of Glimmer remained.

Then, four floors down, was when I finally heard it.

A sort of spinning, almost whirling.

The memory of the dead ghost springs to mind. I still carry it in the backpack, under everything else.

An order is launched out, startling Seleks into reducing the ready glow of

<<Don't fire.>>

<<[query]>>

<<Shield/Protect me if you must, but do not fire.>>

And with that, there was a careful, tense march towards the apartment building that seemed to practically emanate the sound. In intervals, almost. It whirls to life, slows down, ceases, rests a moment, and tries again.

The door is kicked open, and no shots are fired. There's just a long ransacked living room, a corpse of an unidentified guardian, and a single, lone ghost floating over him. It's pieces all move and spin in unison, but eventually slow down, returning to its original shape.

I, for one, pay little attention to this. Guardians were sometimes known for going alone, but some were more known for doing so than others.

Titans are generally known for being pretty dim, though the validity of this statement was up in the air. What was not up in the air was the possibility of a second guardian nearby. I was unsure how many engaged in "lone wolf" tactics since they lost the light, though I reckon it couldn't have been that many. Safety is found in numbers after all.

Was this one wandering alone?

The other rooms prove clear, and this apartment does not seem to have a fire exit.

Decades of no maintenance did that, I supposed.

<<Come in, but don't touch the Little Light. I'm still looking around. Can you check to see if the Dead Thing is organic?>>

It's eye glows, and a very thin layer of the Guardian's armour flakes off. The ghost stops for a moment, stutters something incomprehensible, and still continues trying to bring him back to life. A useless endeavour, he didn't even glow.
<<ACEPTABLE_COMPROMISE[statement] DHREK_ASSERTION_=_DEAD_THING_BIOLOGICAL[statement]>>

<<Your Evaluation is appreciated, please return to the ship. Do warn me if anything approaches.>>

It does so without question. It did almost everything without question.

I would have to address that soon, but I was faced with a more urgent matter at the moment.
"WWhy ddo you kkeep ttrying, hmm?"

It ceases to move, and to my amusement, almost sits pensively, as if trying to find an answer. The Ghost, returns to its futile task. I remain impassive, crouching over the ground, and examining the supposed Exo's body. I suppose it might be seen as a little absurd, just squatting while occasionally poking the body.

It's surprisingly limp. I thought dead individuals tensed up.

"Yyou're easy pprey, outt here."

Cause of death? Probably the two large holes in it's head. I am generally unsure between the distinction of types of damage and... the type of weapon, but I could tell it was probably bashed in before being shot.
"T-The same goes for you."
The timid answer barely has any weight to it, sounding more like someone who has never talked publicly than someone who actively revives their partner for a living. I do believe my teeth are showing, the closest I can to a smile, so I reckon it will do as far as "shows of friendliness" without being too obvious goes. I wouldn't want to appear too human, as that would raise uncomfortable questions for not only Seleks-23, but also the little

"SSo itt cann speakk! SSuch a ppleasant surpprise. DDo you hhave a name, little lightt?"

"…please don't eat me.​"

I try to supress a laughter, it manages to come out as a snort instead. It visibly twitches and backs off at this, doing so slowly when I'm keeping him in my perifereal vision, but stopping when I face him completely. Standing up, and raising the only fully grown left arm to my chin, I decide to play around with him. Seleks doesn't really appreciate comedy, and I doubt Failsafe can either, should I be able to call her without risking another surprise visit from the Captain of before. If Eliksni were anything, it was ruthlessly petty.
"Whhile nnot the answerI wasn'tt considering itt, but nnow that you-"

It immediately backs off to my faux show of pensiveness.
"NO! PLEASE! I-I…"
I immediately regret this. Mainly because it upset the little guy immensely, but because someone might hear the shouting. I, as nonthreateningly as I can, approach the quickly retreating Ghost.

"CCalm down, I'm just ppulling offf your leg, I tthink hhumans called it."

"P-Pulling off? W-Where did you even get that? Do you even know the real saying?"

I reckon that counts for something, as he stopped backing up. Time to hopefully feign ignorance once more.
"TThat's nnot it?"

"Of course not! It's pulling on your leg, not pulling off your leg. H-How did you even… W-Why?"
His "fins" move around erratically. I think the fear has officially been replaced by annoyance. Annoyance of being kept from his dead guardian/friend (possibly, not all ghosts got along with their guardians), or annoyance that I seemed to have such a poor grasp of expressions.

"I amm unsure whatt you reffer."

"Why… Why are you even talking to me?"
And thus, his confident bravado fails, he's still afraid, it's just that his annoyance is showing more. Of course, it's quickly being overshadowed by his fear as he recently bounces off the wall.

"I ppropose… a ddeal, of sorts."

"Wait w-"

"I ggive you a sspace of your own, in mmy ship. NMo one bbothers you, andd you can ccontinue trying tto bburn your circuts attemptingg the imposible."
He seems… enraged, but embarrassed as well. Looks like I struck a nerve.

It's not like I would be able to tell accurately, it's just a floating ball with pointy bits.

"The catch?"

"I remove some of the organss of yyour gguardian hhere. It's nnot like he needs tthem… hhe-"

"She."

I'm not going to waste time engaging in a back and forth of "she?" "yes, she", "a, ok". I always viewed it as a waste of time, so I correct myself and move on.
"She, is deadd."

"YOU DON-"

I lift up a finger to his eye, shushing him into silence.
"QQuiet little lightt, yyou wouldn'tt want to attract others, wouldn't you?"

He stays quiet for a small moment of time, before solemnly nodding as well as a floating orb with green pointy bits can.

I try to smile again, not hiding my teeth even when the ghost visibly shudders.
"You will nott regret this."

Last edited:
Chapter 26
No Rest for the Weary

There's one… no, two, main reasons why I like discussing the cargo container.

One is because it's large, and two, is because it's empty. Very empty. A giant white metallic room. There is not a single shelf here, and then there's a large door which might as well drop everything off into space. Unlike the main "crew" door, this one opens straight down. Perhaps there would have been some mechanised elements or something similar to transport emergency cargo from the Exodus Black proper, but I reckon I'll never know. I keep carrying stuff in the pilot's room proper as other than some hooks on the floor

It just turns out to be the most convenient location to separately carry the dead body of the Exo and the delusional Ghost.

And for all that it's worth, the silence presented by the Little Light makes him hard to read. I'm not sure ghosts can emote with anything other than their voices, so might as well ask him what he's thinking.

"SSo it'ss off your likking?"

"Yes- No- Wh-How was I even coerced into this?"
What? No no no, that won't go.

"I didd no such tthing."

"…"

"We mmade a ddeal, yes?"

A soft, almost paranoid nodding proceeds from the green shelled ghost. I take this as a good enough sign to stop needlessly lowering the pitch of my voice.

"NNow, where was tthiss "PPowering Fluid"?"

"U-upper torso. Under the chest plates. Please don't hurt her."

"Shhe won'tt feel a thing."
The welder lights up, and the welding mask is drawn into place by my upper left arm.

It's still weird calling it that.

After a solid second of collecting myself, I begin.

It's weirdly comedic how easily tune out the voice of the ghost once the slap rifle finally begins to cut away the external plating of the Exo's armour and chest. Adding to this, there's some bizarre form of amazement I get from finally opening something, or rather, someone, up.

It was like playing surgeon simulator again, but this time, there were intuitive controls, and the possibility of third degree burns, if I wasn't careful.

The chest piece was the first to come loose, and be subsequently removed with the rusty pipe I had picked off on the way back.

The chest was the second to go, and it unfortunately was in separate pieces. I'm unsure who decided that Exos needed anatomically correct parts. Ada 1 didn't even have a mouth. Maybe it had to do with the age of the consciousness copy? I never cared to learn much on Exo lore, but I sure wish I had now. It comes apart just like it was originally found: in pieces, and bit by bit.

The Ghost has given up complaining now, just staring with a single shocked eye.

I go back to slowly scraping away the insides of Exo after taking a quick look to the ghost. I still can't read its expressions, but it's either shocked silent, mournful, or something in between. It's not like he's impeding my progress, but I would really rather not have him leave this ship with a poor impression.

"YYou can lookk away, if it's uncomfortable."

It silently complies, and soon enough, I find what I was looking for, right under another sheet of metal. I try not to pry it off right now, I wouldn't want this one to leak.

The container, for all that stands, looks more like a transparent "box" filled with… yellowish fluid. It's not like urine, because this one clearly glows, and brightly at that. It seems connected via a series of valves and tubes to… a variety of things.

I wasn't being lied to when Failsafe had stated to be these things to be complex, and I wasn't doubting that then, but looking at it now? It inspired a whole set of different feelings. Mainly it inspired awe. And worry, that too. It wasn't because of the disassembly, as the screws on the tubes were able to be turned, but mainly because I was worried that I might pull it out with one or more valves open, or a cable still stuck with it.

Something told me that being war machines, they were probably stronger than I thought they were, but I would rather not throw something away that was hard to obtain in the first place. Getting a fresh Exo body is bound to be tougher than I believed, for one, and I already believed it to be pretty hard. And two, I'd rather not explain to anyone why I was opening up the insides of a random Exo, especially since they'd probably resort to shooting first. I considered myself lucky that this ghost, whoever he might be named, had not run away screaming bloody murder.

"Is… is it-"

"NNo."

Now, back to the task at hand. The slow, potentially dangerous, and very important task at hand, fumbling around with these "fingernails" in an attempt to unscrew the tubes from the container itself.

It's harder than it seems. Especially when I have to fully un-screw something before shutting down a distress call from the PDA.

Now, it's not that I don't want to help, but rather than I cant. I'm not fighting over an army to rescue one or two people. And I'm unlikely to get out of it alive in any situation.

I don't have the gear, and most importantly, I don't even have the manpower to pull such a thing off. Even then, net losses over fighting space rhinos would be absurd.

I take a moment to recollect myself in the present before resuming. There's no room for error here.

I think that's half of them done.

"HHow didd it-"

"She. She's a she."

"How didd sshe ddie?"

I don't stop my tinkering, though at least putting my doubts on how the helmet of this guardian was horribly deformed so. I didn't want to remove it, not only because it would further ruin whatever was left of her face, but because I don't think I could do so without applying the welder to the helmet itself.

Something told me that was an awful idea.

"M-My guardian?"

"Whho else, little light?"

Yet another valve is safely disconnected. I think I am getting the hang of this!

"O-oh, well, why do you want to know about it? The light will be back any second now."

"I wouldn'tt be sso shure, little one."

"And how do you know, hmm? I bet that wi-"

"Thhe Vexx are many things but stupid. TThree months, pprobably a llittle more. This conflict will last that mmuch."

"But they can't p-"

"They can't ppredicct what? Exos, humans, andd their llittle ddrones? Have you seeen a ddead thing return afterr three montths?"

I think I am halfway done! Turns out, talking is an excellent way of passing the time. I should try conversing with Seleks more, maybe my life will be less boring that way.

The little ghost has yet to answer. I think I left him speechless.

"HHow ddid she die?"

"I-I don't know."

I hesitate upon hearing that, I doubt he notices, but something arguably worse than a regular Guardian was a rogue guardian. There are no major traces of enemies on this area, after all, the only sign of enemies around is a couple of Dusk banners, but Seleks confirm it's more of a perimeter establishing strategy than anything else. My suspicions of someone having willingly caved in the head of a comrade, before filling it with lead?

I didn't like it one bit.

"Whatt do you kknow, thenn?"

"Not much."

"Undestanddable."

And that seals the deal, after this, we're moving once more. Possibly to have a short stop on the outskirts of the Farm, dropping of the remains of whoever this lady was, before moving on elsewhere.

I heard Venus was nice on this time of year, Vex planetary search and all. With some luck, I could potentially raid the Ishtar Academy for blueprints. Of course, I couldn't rely on this, but it would be pretty neat if I found more than one set.

Talking about sealing the deal, I think that was the last of the cables! Or tubes, or whatever they were. They were probably tubes, but they didn't eve seem plastic. Maybe there was bendable glass for robotics? I might never know.

I stand up, wiping off some traces of oil on the pants I wore, before finally looking over to the ghost, looking wildly though the room.

"Whhat do you thinkk happpened?"

"… I'd… rather not say…"

"DDo communicate, iff you desire to inform. I'd ssugestt holding on tight, no"

And with that, I left the Ghost alone with the remains of his Guardian.

There wasn't much else I, and by extension, Seleks, could do about it. It's not like I could pry the information out of the small drone if I wanted it to have some goodwill towards me.

The door to the cockpit slides behind me, locking as it does so. It's for my privacy rather than that of the one who has died. I'd rather no have the ghost snooping around my things. I knew it could probably teleport, but I got the feeling that he was going to stay with his dead guardian until we dropped him off.

I do hope he realizes it's a bad idea to stay behind the ransacked remains of his guardian, even if Seleks had confirmed the prior existence of a gravity generator on the ship.

I say "prior" very loosely. The only evidence this ship had any is the charred remains of a hunk of metal. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to replace that.

<<HAVE_YOU_OBTAINED_THE_INFORMATION[query]>>

<<Somewhat. Obtaining their trust, I believe, will be beneficial in the long term.>>

<<__[query]>>

<<We reduce our chances of being targeted by dead things. If they're not focused on the eliksni, then they're focused on the ashen pests, the cabal, and the machines. Proceeding with this… senseless violence is detrimental to our wellbeing, in the long run.>>

<<THEN[pause]__CONSUME?>>

<<I'm sure It won't even taste good, furthermore, it has no light.>>

<<NO__CONSUPTION[query]>>

<<No.>>

It hovers there, for a second, as if expecting something to happen, if anything at all.

I think, if I remember correctly, that it expects me to lash out, since, well, "disobedience within the ranks is harshly punished by injury". His quote, not mine, and I wasn't planning on really doing anything.

Having a question, or doubt shouldn't be something to be punished for. Not really. Participating in a part of a society that, frankly, was barbaric, was not something I had in mind as I strapped the "organ" I had removed from the Exo. I mean, it was more of a glowing orange, cubic, sort of "organ", and it was still warm to the touch.

<<APPRECIATION/RESPECT[statement]>>

I don't know If I'm going to answer that. Mainly, because I'm not sure what to answer. I never wanted to be someone others look up to or any sort of leader. I always preferred being on the sidelines, not being on the spotlight.

Turning on the ship, just like the times before it, takes minimal effort. I… want to take off, if not for any other reason than to avoid facing whatever killed that guardian. A rogue guardian or determined assassin was pretty bad, all the same.

I make sure to shut down yet another alarm presented by the PDA. No, I'm not going to save anyone today or tomorrow. As long as I have only one supporting crew-member, doing so, I reckon, would be suicide, and thus, more counterproductive than actually helpful in both the short and long term.

And… takeoff.

I don't think I'm getting used to that any time soon. The cabin rattles all over as the ship more or less pushes both, Seleks and I, to the back. He doesn't show major signs of struggle as he just idly floats there, ignoring any internal momentum the ship is currently experiencing due to the sudden acceleration. I wonder if the inside of the ship will sit completely still if I manage to scavenge an antigravity drive, but that should be a question for later, not for when

Meanwhile, I just stay put on my seat. I've seen the effects of a car crash on first aid class, and I'm not too eager to experience them first hand.

I just remembered that the little ghost didn't have his friend strapped on a seatbelt.

Well… best of luck to him. I mean, as long as there's no mayor turbulence he should be alright. That should is the keyword here, but considering how fast those little lads can fly, I reckon it's more likely than not that he will come out more or less intact. After all "they live in backpacks", somehow.

Another call for help beeps from the PDA. I know it's poor practice to drive and check an electronic apparatus, but I think I could trust Seleks somewhat regarding not crashing the ship, even if he was just a glowing metal ball with a purple eye.

Oh.

That's bad, really bad.

So much for good will.

OMAKE: Loyalty above Station
OMAKE: Loyalty above Station

<+>​

"Valus, are you certain of this course of action? An abstinence of battle is a risk we should not chance, lest it be a rout." The rumbling, yet timid, voice of Val Ta'Kan, current second in command of the famed Skyburners legion, was clearly heard over the bustling but orderly work of loading up the Carriers. "And we know not of the Emperor's status, that Dominus could—"

"Enough." A single measured word was all it took for Valus Ra'yut to silence his XO. "Gaul has not earned the right to that title, and he's a fool to think campaigning legions would accept it. The Ghost Primus has gone too far there. The Skyburners did not wage war for the "Dominus", nor for the Red Legion. We waged war for the Emperor, and we will return with results, victory or defeat, to the same leader we left. Inform the troops to hasten preparations, focus on taking intact equipment. Have the Ice Reapers deploy to ascertain the strength of our enemies strongholds. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Valus, you make yourself clear."

"Indeed I do. Ave Torobatl, dismissed."

Val Ta'Kan Bowed his head and replied; "Ave Torobatl." Before walking off to fulfill his directives.

The Valus stood impassively, overlooking the ruins of Fleetbase Korus, and the remains of his armada. The Taken King hit hard, and as much as he had grown to dislike them, he had to credit due respect to those 'Guardians', even with powers beyond the reach of the mightiest Psion, they got hit hard as well, but they still hit back harder.

Their wellspring was caged now. Though he'd lie if he said he'd miss them, the enemy of an enemy can always make a friend, if only for a moment.

<+>​

Vatch, Numoc, and Kolar. Bond brothers and Psion Flayers of the highest order. Responsible for bringing Phobos and subsequently Fleetbase Korus to a radically closer orbit, even a stable one at that. Each a leader in his own way. All of them invaluable assets alone, and ever more so powerful together. All of them killed in action.

So it came as no surprise for Aspra when he was selected to fill in as DeFacto. The only other Flayer with both the experience and the rank, a full Sub-Val, a step below the legions second in command. Kind of depressing, now that he thought about it, leadership had been culled pretty bad recently, and without HIGHCOM and Imperial Command, nobody was exactly getting promoted to a rank appropriate for the position. Eh, that's just life, never goes how you expect.

"Flayer, we're nearing the first drop." Turning from looking over the pilots shoulder to the troop cabin proper, he swept his cycloptic gaze over the dozen or so operants and aspirants he'd chosen for the mission.

"Listen up!" He shouted, slapping a bulkhead to get their attention. "1st drop team, Gamma that's you, get ready. Stay fast and stay low, check sites Alpha through Epsilon. A chariot will be dropped alongside you, use it wisely you six." A hand signal from the pilot combined with a switch of the light color, and six Psions, along with a boxy but rugged 6-wheeled vehicle, hit the ground, vanishing into the desert soon after.

The co-pilot spoke up as they touched off to the next drop zone. "Dropship Theta 1-3 reports successful drop, 1-2, 1-4, and 1-5 all report still on approach. Red Legion sensors are still spoofed."

"Get to drop zone beta." Aspra hefts his slug rifle, checking it's ammo counter before prepping the second chariot in the cramped craft. "Tell AWACS Fire Weaver to take field command, I'm going hunting."

A rumble as the craft's beefy engines force it into a stop. "Copy that Flayer, have fun down there!"

<+>​

A/N: If you couldn't tell, the Psions don't exactly have the same way of things as the Torobatlan Cabal. Additionally, with standard Cabal Warships at the size of small corvettes, they probably have a wide range of modularity, especially since we see the Red Legion ones with active shield systems and drop pod launchers. Hence, AWACS.

Skyburners is the Celestial Demolitions Legion, if they don't canonically have at least 5 of every Cabal space vessel, I will eat my pants.

Last edited:
Back