Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

It's been almost four months since Lieutenant Fusilier received her commission. Having made it back home after a journey through time and space, she now confronts new questions. Who is she, machine or officer? How does she fit into the world? How will she afford to keep herself going? Is that French officer into her, or is she just imagining it?

And perhaps most pressingly... what is happening to the 7th Regiment of Foot's new recruits?

A rewrite of Lieutenant Fusilier and Her Golden Eagle, and the new sequel to Lieutenant Fusilier in the Farthest Reaches.
Chapter 1: A Return

open_sketch

#1 Transgender Pansexual Witch Bandit Wolf Girl
BEST SELLING AUTHOR
Pronouns
She/Her/Whatever
This first chapter is largely the same as the first 10k words of Golden Eagle, but there are meaningful rewrites. It will diverge significantly from here.

I couldn't hear it; of course, there was no air for the sound to propagate through, but I could feel it. Reverberating through the ground, like an earthquake. Somewhere on our right, there was a massive plume of regolith thrown upward, rendered as an almost perfect half-sphere in the vacuum. A moment later, a wash of static crackled in my ear, and then a voice.

"Good Christ, what was that?"

I turned to see my counterpart from A Section, Lieutenant Miles Beckham, holding a hand to shield his eyes. Behind his glass helmet, I could see the sweep of messy strawberry blond hair and the perpetual scruff, his glasses gleaming against the sunlight. Despite the fact he was no more than five feet from me, his voice came through distorted and warped from the wireless. I squeezed the wireless switch on my collar to open the channel.

"Mortar of some kind, I think," I replied. "Landed amongst the 28th, must have slipped over their shield."

"Poor buggers," Miles replied, shaking his head. "Think that'll be them moving?"

"I'll go take a look," I said, taking a step back. Our view forward was obscured by a solid wall of soldiers in red coats and tall shakos, their muskets held at the ready and their radiator panels jutting out like sails, and it looked like I'd have to walk a fair distance to get to a gap in the line.

Instead, I squared up as best I could and jumped. In the reduced gravity and airless void, I shot straight up, maybe fifteen feet or so, holding weightless at the apex for long seconds.

The blasted moonscape unfolded ahead of me, rolling hills and craters of sharp grey, almost white in places touched by the sun and utterly black in the shadow. I could see our skirmishers a few hundred feet ahead, bounding in long, floaty strides across the landscape, their coats shifting back to grey to match the surroundings whenever they stopped moving.

I could see three pillars of dust getting closer over the edge of a steep dip in the ground.

Gravity, fighting valiantly against my push, reasserted itself, and I began to descend slowly. As I did, there were flashes against the twinkling lights above, our rocket artillery opening up behind us; their flames turned to simple points of red light in the vacuum. They sailed over our heads and winked out in the distance as their motors ran dry, falling against the pillars and bursting ineffectually far above them.

I landed softly back down to earth, dust billowing around me, feeling a slight twing of pain in my knee. Damned joints. Another officer had joined Miles next to me, Captain Elenora Murray, who looked at me quizzically from behind her helmet.

"Well?" she asked, clearly a little amused by my unorthodox little flight.

"They're coming," I reported. "Three groups, it looks like, with shields covering at least one that I saw. Couldn't see them directly."

"About time. Best get to your sections. Good luck, everyone," she replied, and we parted, walking to our appointed places in the line. I fell in at B-section's flank, the far end of the 7th Regiment of Foot's formation, where the ensigns and our senior sergeant were waiting. As usual, Ensign Kelly was being a nuisance, hunting up and down the line for a gap he could see the action through. By contrast, Ensign Sumner was looking up at the stars, lost in thought.

"Ensign?" I asked, switching to the section channel with the twist of a dial.

"Wondering how high I'd go if I jumped like that," she replied. I gestured permissively, and she tensed up and launched herself up, maybe ten feet straight up, flailing a bit in the air before descending and stumbling.

Ensigns.

I waved the two of them to their positions and took mine next to the senior sergeant, who gave me a slight nod and shuffled to make some room so our rad-packs wouldn't clatter together. We couldn't speak; she didn't have a wireless, but she signed your screens. Wincing, I hastily thumbed the activation key on my gorget, the protective field of teal sparks leaping into existence. She unslung her weapon, a long wood-handled rifle, and switched on the capacitors, a soft yellow glow emitting from the chamber.

Glancing down the line, I saw a sword flicker to light, quickly picked up and copied by the blades of other officers in the regiment. I drew my sabre and did the same, twisting the signal selector and depressing the trigger. We were advancing two hundred paces, looked like: somebody upstairs had gotten the lay of the enemy attack and wanted us shifted.

Ahead of us, the section began moving, pushing forward as one with heavy steel footfalls, a few stumbling against the loose ground and low gravity. There was a particular way of walking in these conditions, and you had to relearn it for every surface and every gravity. It got more manageable with time, but some of these boxies were less than four months into service.

With the unit moving, I finally got onto the flank and got a good view again. There were blue flashes ahead, muskets trading back and forth, our skirmishers and theirs. Looking down the line, far to our left, I could see the rumbling shapes of heavy cavalry, the 5th Dragoon Guards, swinging out long for the flanks, presumably to meet their opposite number invisible somewhere far off. Their enormous footfalls threw massive clouds of dust behind them which hung like storm clouds.

And in the distance, I finally caught sight of the enemy. They were just hazy shapes, but I could see them divided into four groups about thirty abreast. From the look of the smoke behind them, more troops followed in a similar formation. It looked like they were coming right for us.

I clicked back to the company channel.

"Looks like they're coming at us the same old way," I commented.

"They never learn, it seems," the Captain agreed. "It looks like we'll be holding at the edge of the crater there. Make sure your rotaries-"

She was drowned out at that moment by an enormous wash of static, and I looked up to see lights erupting against our company force screen, dozens of shells bursting in crackling blue sparks against our force screens. Beside me, Sergeant Theda shook her head in disbelief, the glowing screens of her eyes flickering as they simulated blinking with each flash. Not that we had to, but it was humanising.

Waste of shells, she signed. It did seem like it. Firing at these distances was just to probe for gaps in the enemy screens; you didn't waste a bombardment against the surface. They must have thought so too, because the bombardment tapered off. Ash from the burst shells filtering through the screens like black snow.

Glancing back, the shield wagon and its massive dreadnought-wheeled horse were still plodding forward, keeping pace. Finally, we counted out our last steps, halting quite near a sizable impact crater, the wagon slowing to a stop.

Then there were impacts, more rolling flashes of light against the screen, and it didn't stop this time.

The bursts came furiously, so many they seemed to overlap, so many I started to be able to hear it as pops of ionised gases washing over my microphones. It must have carried on for the better part of two minutes, impact after impact, and I turned to see the wagon rocking with each hit, the generator sparking and rocking.

Then the emitters died, and the force screen gave out.

I had only about a moment to process this before the first shield landing in our position in a bright blue flash, spraying up dirt all around. Two more before the cloud had cleared, and I found myself sprawling, feeling rattled and dizzy from the nearby impacts. More flashed up and down our line, machines dropping heavily, and I simply lay as flat as I could against the regolith felt the momentary pressure waves batter at my radiator pack, digging into my back with each impact. Every time I thought it was over, another shell would burst nearby with clockwork precision.

Finally, in a gap in the shelling, I scrambled to my feet, pulling a handkerchief from my jacket to try desperately to clear the regolith from my cameras. Beside me, the line was reforming, as best as it could, but there were ragged holes in it now. Red-coated bodies were strewn across the ground all over, some lying still and others stirring weakly.

I estimated we were down perhaps a third of our number, though other companies closer to the centre looked even worse off. Casting around, I was relieved to see both our ensigns still on their feet, Kelly emerging from behind a Theo who had shielded him with his body, and Sumner miraculously untouched among a dozen downed soldiers.

I looked back out to the battlefield to try and get our bearings, spotting several of our skirmishers pulling back toward our position, harassed by their enemy counterparts. Their foes were fast, running with unnaturally long strides across the field, their carbines flashing. Sergeant Theda pulled up beside me, levelled her rifle, and fired, leaving one of their sprinting skirmishers stumbling into the dirt and scattering the others.

Beyond them, the main force approached. They were maybe just a thousand feet away now, moving swiftly at a fast march. They wore bulky grey hats, dark blue coats, and brilliant white crossbelts, and they seemed untouched by the dirt and grime that stuck to everything. The ones in front were particularly physically imposing, taller and broader. Even across the field, their red epaulettes and trim stood out.

At the head of the unit was a colours party, a gaggle of musicians with drums beating silently, each impact accompanied by a flash of light. Front and centre was a machine with a small tricolour flag, the pole a silvery metal and running with wires. Atop was a golden symbol, an eagle, and the entire assembly was haloed in white light.

As they closed, the light shifted to a blood-red, and all down the line, the French bayonets ignited.

I flicked my sword's signal to make ready and pushed into the line proper, trying to encourage Theos and Doras into position. The line formed around me, bristling with muskets barrels, and I flicked my sword to the angry red of fire and held it aloft, waiting for the perfect moment.

The enemy did not slow.

At seventy paces, I ordered the first volley, swinging my sword down decisively, and the moonscape lit up with pulses of blue light. Our targets disappearing behind a cloying haze of smoke, only the light of their eagle still visible. Machines rushed to feed more coolant into the guns, the thermodynamics of the void merciless, and fired another volley blind through the mist of the first.

The shots flickered against an invisible barrier perhaps twenty feet ahead of their line, the glow from the eagle intensifying. They had a force screen, covering the whole column. Some shots punched through, especially at the weakened flanks, and shadows there stumbled and fell, but others took their place instantly.

They were perhaps thirty feet away when they fired their first and only volley. The screen dispersed it, but despite that, it tore through our ragged line with ease. Ensign Kelly, momentarily exposed by a falling machine, was struck by multiple shots, and he slumped over, his screens overwhelmed. My own screens sparked violently, and the machine beside me pitched onto his face. By instinct, I stepped into his place, and signalled to ignite bayonets.

They began to sprint toward us, overtaking their colours, and we got off one last volley while they were unprotected. Each shot struck home and took down a grenadier with it, but they still hit us hard, bayonets crossing and clashing, machines pushing against one another. All of it utterly silent in the void.

I hit the Dora coming at me with a blast from my pistol, and the one following stumbled over her into my sword, but I couldn't even get my blade back into a guard before the next bayonet drove at me. It swerved away at the last moment as Theda threw herself bodily into the French soldier, her captured alien axe coming down like a thunderbolt.

I had no idea what was happening outside of our tiny area, I couldn't even see A-Section, but I knew if we gave ground, they'd open our flank up, and that would be it for the entire formation. Their regulars joined the fray now, shooting point-blank into the combat as they moved in. I felt a moment of pride as Ensign Sumner cut down a machine before he could bring his bayonet up, but there were far too many, and soon she was obscured by the press of blue coats and glowing bayonets.

There were maybe a dozen of us now, stumbling back against the rocks, but we'd given them hell. A grenadier sergeant came at me with a polearm of some description, the glowing blade glancing off my arm, but I caught him in the hand as he approached and then took him at the legs with the backswing. Drawing back into a defensive stance, I looked for my next target, and that's when I spotted her.

She was tall, willow-thin for a Dora, her long blue coat in blue and white perfectly fitted and trimmed in gold. Across her chest were five gleaming medals in gold and silver and dancing gems. Her face was not steel, but instead a fine white glass, her eyes projecting seamlessly onto its surface, her expression fixed in a smug half-smile. Her eyes met mine, and she levelled a long, elegant straight sword, clearly an invitation to a duel.

The ready light on my pistol turned blue, and I blasted her in the chest.

Her screens dissipated the blast, but they caused her to stumble a moment. It was a moment I used to close on her and swing as hard as I could for her shoulder. Her sword flashed in the way, a blind guard, and our blades clashed, their energies roiling and snapping in contrast. I kicked for her knee, trying to wrest some kind of advantage, and she stepped away, swiping an inch from my eyes, and I was forced to give ground in turn.

She nodded approvingly, then stepped in for another attack, a driving thrust I only just managed to batter aside. She didn't hesitate a moment, stepping into another attack, dancing out of reach every time I tried to respond, taller than me, faster than me. I brought my pistol up at my hip, careful to keep it out of her range, and she swung her sword across the path of the blast and dispersed it in a flash of sparks.

I was giving ground as fast as possible, casting about for Theda, but soon I realised that I was alone. Everyone else was down. I stumbled over a body, came up covered in dust and gripping a fistful of clingy regolith, and I threw it for her cameras as I closed. She staggered, drawing her cuff across her face, and I finally had a moment I could seize on. I pushed forward; blade raised to strike.

With a jolt of pain, my knee buckled and gave way, and I collapsed heavily in a clatter of radiator panels. I tried to push myself to my feet, struggling with the loose soil, but any weight on my leg just made it worse. My opponent stepped back in front of me, her screens now clear, and I tried to raise my blade into some kind of guard.

She gave a sympathetic shake of her head, then ran me through.

---

"That could have gone better."

"Fusie, if you wield your sword like you wield understatement, you'd have carried the day single-handed," Miles complained, unlatching his helmet and running a hand through his hair. He instantly regretted it, just caking his scalp with lunar dust. "This bloody stuff…"

"We're never going to live this down, you know." Captain Murry said simply, slumping against the side of the airlock. "Biggest war games of the decade, and we crumpled like a tin can. The Colonel's probably going to get an earful from General Andromeda."

"It's not just us. The 28th got it bad too, and the 35th got forced into square without their screens and they worked them over with the cannons. At least the Dragoons put on a decent showing." Major Gaynesford said, dabbing his forehead with a cloth. "Too little too late, I'm afraid, but it was something. What happened to you, Lieutenant?"

"My, um, knee joint gave out," I explained, trying not to look like I was leaning too heavily on my crutch. "Nothing too bad."

"Bad luck," he replied sympathetically.

In the centre of the airlock, Colonel Harrison, the 7th's commanding officer, stood up to get our attention. He looked rather embarrassed.

"My apologies to your house staff, but you'll all be needed for dinner tonight, so get your uniforms cleaned first thing," he said, glancing around the room at the dirt-encrusted officers. "And do try to be good sports at dinner, will you? Won't do to be sore losers."

"We'll always have Waterloo over them, after all!" An officer, some young lieutenant I didn't recognise, called out.

"Yes, try not to bring that up either," Harrison chided. "They're our guests, after all."

"Right, you're only supposed to talk shit about guests behind their back, you see," Lieutenant Turner muttered beside me, and I did my best not to break into laughter.

We stumbled back out into the cold air of Antares City, and suddenly I found myself wishing for a return to the void rather than face the bitterly cold December wind. We made the short trip from the airlock tunnels to the base, grumbling among ourselves and comparing our experiences, comparing tactics and trying to figure out where it had all gone wrong.

Miles was a bit sore about having been knocked out by a stunning shell and complained that they'd overestimated the effects against our shields, while the ensigns were chattering loudly about how exciting it had all been and how they'd all met their inglorious ends. Darley had been disarmed and captured at bayonet point, while Brodeway had been pinned under a fallen Theo. My broken knee got a great deal of sympathy, which felt somewhat undeserved.

As I always did after void exercises, I snuck around to the rear door of Number 18. Miriam was at the door before I could even knock, my housecoat in one hand and a bucket of rags in the other, looking distinctly unamused.

"So what happened to you, exactly?" she asked pointedly.

"Knee joint wore through is all." I explained, pulling off my coat, and she beckoned me inside quickly, shivering against the cold. "You alright?"

They didn't design us for winters." she replied, shutting the door quickly. "This the joint you've been complaining about for the past two months? The one you assured me you'd get replaced?"

"Knee joints wear through all the time, especially for Fusiliers," I responded, feeling a bit trapped. It was true, though; even for regular machines yearly replacements were the norm. For machines like myself, it was closer to half that.

"Mhm, they do," she replied, looking utterly unimpressed. "You need these cleaned for dinner?"

"Yes, sorry. Bit of a rush." She chuckled at my uncertainty.

"You need to stop feeling bad about creating work for your staff, it's what they're built for," she said, for what felt like the thousandth time. "How'd you do personally, anyway?"

"My entire section got wiped out," I said. "To a machine. Not even the ensigns made it out."

"Well, you'll have to work on that before your next deployment, that's for certain. I heard the French have machine officers, is that true?"

"I ran into one, she kicked my ass" I admitted.

"Huh." Miriam paused, clearing thinking hard about something. "I wonder if she'll be at dinner. Maybe you could ask her for tips."

"Perhaps." Truth be told, I was looking forward to meeting her; I'd never met another machine officer before. I wasn't the only one in the British Army, there was a Captain Theodore Fusilier on General Martin's staff if I recalled correctly, but I'd not had the chance to meet him. And in any case, he'd stayed a captain for some sixty years and I half-suspected he was shut away in a procurement office somewhere happily doing paperwork, lucky bastard.

"It'll almost certainly be good for you. You need a friend, somebody on your level." Miriam said, dumping my uniform in the laundry room for the Abbys. I headed to my study, dabbing at my face with one of the rags from the bucket, Miriam close behind.

"I have friends," I said defensively. "Miles and April surely count."

"Yes, and one of them is a housemaid, and the other is human," Miriam said.

"I… I resent the implication." I said, "I'm Miles' friend as an officer and April's friend as a machine. I don't see the contradiction."

"Of course you don't," she said simply, shaking her head. "One moment please."

I sat down at my desk, leaning back against the plush leather chair, as Miriam disappeared through the door. Already itching for something to do, I plucked my pen from my charger just to have something to do with my hands and cast over the desk for incomplete paperwork. Finding nothing, I began absently practising my signature on a blank page, trying to get all the curls just right. Officers signed a lot of documents, it was important I do it right.

Not a minute later, I became aware of Miriam's return when she set to work with the rags, clearing the regolith from my neck and shoulders, humming happily to herself. As much as I loathed void operations, I did take some heart in how they tended to cheer Miriam up. As much as she had proven herself utterly indispensable, I was quite aware that I never managed to give her enough to do. Days like this helped mollify the guilty feelings I had over that.

The household utility machine, Thomas, arrived at the door a few minutes later with a toolbox in hand. I hadn't called for him, so clearly Miriam had. A bit reluctantly, I shuffled up the cuff of my trousers until my knee joint was visible and propped it up on a chair, and he sat on the floor with an impact wrench and began removing bolts.

"You know, not normally part of my job description, ma'am," he joked, laying the parts out on the ground carefully as he removed them. "'Fraid I haven't got the exact piece you need, but we can substitute a regular pin just fine."

"I wasn't going to ask, but..." I responded, and Miriam cut me off.

"I will not have you attend the mess on a crutch like a Dickensian orphan, miss," she said sharply, throwing the last of the rags in a bucket. "Before you protest, this isn't just for your sake. Your bearing reflects on us as a staff, you know."

"O-of course," I said. "I just didn't want to cause any trouble. How much do I owe you?"

"Ma'am, my job is keeping the machines in this house running. Don't say nothing about if one of the machines is an officer, does it?" he responded. The plate on the outside of my knee came off, accompanied by a sort of numb sensation. He reached in with a pair of pliers and had soon fished out two pieces of a hexagonal pin, the break showing the multiple layers of metal and ceramic. "Clean in half, look at that!"

"How about for the part?" I asked. "How much will that cost?"

"Oh, don't you worry, I write these off all the time," he said, slotting a new pin in place. This one was a dull, near-white aluminium, almost certainly just bar stock with the ends machined into sprockets. "You can get them three for a sixpence."

Automatically, I reached across my desk to the small wallet I kept my spare change in, retrieving two pennies. Didn't feel right not to pay for it.

"Oh, come now, ma'am. Army won't miss it," he said softly, and reluctantly I dropped the coins back into my purse. "Now as I said, I only have a lighter duty joint, so this is a temporary fix. Get yourself to the company engineer tomorrow and get it replaced proper."

"Of course," I replied, dreading it.

---

I met Miles outside the mess, waiting with Lieutenant Turner, their greatcoats pulled close against the January cold.

"Stars, Fusie, you took your bloody time," Miles complained, waving me over.

"How fast would you have recovered from a broken knee, then?" I teased. I was usually early, and I was certainly never late. "You could have gone in, you know."

"Like hell, I need you to be my distraction. You're like a smokescreen in machine form, keeps me from having to talk to anyone," he said casually. "Come on."

I was used to the officer's mess being a fairly quiet space, half-empty with various elements of the regiment away in piecemeal deployments. That was the reality of modern soldiering; sections spirited off into the void to guard some tiny mining outpost or monitoring station. The majority of the tables were empty every night.

Tonight, however, we played host to not only the vast majority of our own officers, not only our usual guests from the Royal Artillery, not only the members of the 28th, 35th, 60th, 71st, the 5th Royal Dragoons, but six regiments worth of French officers. A room that usually had no more than twenty-five humans in it now had two hundred. To make things worse, every other officer had their aide on-hand to translate for them.

My first impression of it was just pure noise, and it took me more than a few seconds to make sense of the field and figure out where I was supposed to be going. I spotted Captain Murray among a group of officers, ours and theirs, and we made a beeline for her for lack of anything else to do. I couldn't see her Maria anyway, so it appeared the Captain spoke decent French.

"Oh, excellent. My subordinates, Lieutenants Miles Beckham and Dora Fusilier, and Lieutenant Turner from 6th Company." Murray said, then she leaned over to us and indicated to each in turn. "Captain Estelle Couvreur, Junior Lieutenant Jacquinot, I didn't catch his first name, and our man from the Dragoons there is Lieutenant Reginald Risewell."

We made our introductions and niceties as best we could over the din and took our seats, and the Captain continued her story, which seemed to be from the aftermath of the Battle of llomia J3H. She was saying something about radiation treatments from my rather reckless use of transmutation shells, and Lieutenant Risewell at least was listening with rapt attention.

The two French officers, however, were staring at me rather obviously. As I usually did in these circumstances, I just kept my eyes down, looked at my hands, trying not to let it get to me. I was glad that the overlapping babble of voices would obscure the sound of my fans spinning up.

I was doing an unusual thing. People would always be acclimatizing to it. They didn't mean anything by it. It ought not get to me. Ought. Ought-

"I know, the scars, right?" Miles interjected, nudging my arm. "It's a surprise she works at all, you know."

I glanced back up to see the two officers conspicuously looking away now, listening to one of their aides as he translated, presumably. I did a double-take as I realised the aide wasn't a valet, but instead was a clerk, a little bespectacled Simon in a blue uniform. How odd.

I very deliberately didn't stare, though. I been through that enough.

"So you are the machine lieutenant we've heard about?" Captain Couvreur said. Feeling rather on the spot, it was all I could do to nod. "It's good to see them recognize talent from the ranks like this. Hopefully they'll draw more from the ranks in the future?"

"Oh, well, I don't think so. I purchased my commission, you see." I said, feeling a bit slighted by the implication. I wasn't sure they'd understand, given how things seemed to work over there, but the thought of being promoted up to a commission felt deeply wrong. NCOs were promoted, but officers volunteered, put their money and life on the line to contribute to the service. They were different sorts of responsibilities, ones that simple experience hadn't prepared me for. "There's never been a rule against it. It simply doesn't happen much."

"Oh." Couvreur responded flatly, the wind taken out of her sails by that.

"You didn't earn it?" Junior Lieutenant Jacquinot asked, back to staring. He was young, maybe eighteen at the outside, more like an ensign than a lieutenant to my eye.

"Come now, of course she did. She put in decades of service to earn it," Murray intervened, throwing a sympathetic glance in my direction.

"This business of buying commissions is very strange to me, I'll admit. I'm surprised you stuck by it for so long," Couvreur said, her mouth drawn into a little frown.

"There's been modifications made-" Murray began, starting in about the 1843 and 2010 reforms, then Couvreur began talking about their own system as Miles leaned in to whisper.

"... I haven't the foggiest what any of them are talking about," he asked, Turner chuckling in the background. "Fill me in?"

"They're discussing promotion and commissions in our armies. In their army, the machines in the ranks hold elections to select new officers from among their own ranks and cadets," I explained.

"... that seems damned near sensible, why don't we do that?" he said, a look of utter shock on his face.

"You'd think you'd get your commission on that system, Miles?" Turner asked, and Miles shook his head.

"Of course not, this system would work," he retorted. I'll admit, I laughed, though he really wasn't being fair to himself. He was a fine officer.

"I'd certainly not, that's for sure." That was fine. Soldiers shouldn't be electing officers, that felt mad to me. Soldiers didn't have the same priorities as commanders. That seemed so inherently evident to me that I couldn't fathom how they thought otherwise.

I wanted to cut in and say that, defend the honour of a system that had served the British Army well for more than four centuries, but the words died on my speaker. I'd have to interrupt somebody to say it, and it felt utterly wrong.

Soon after, a machine came by with drinks, and I secured my customary empty glass for the toasts to come. Lieutenant Colonel Harrison ran us through an exhaustive list of toasts, General Andromeda and her French counterpart both gave a short speech, and finally, dinner began properly.

Dinner was always awkward, considering I didn't eat, but I'd very much worked out the pace of the ordeal. Dinner came with polite conversation, so all I had to do was be available and willing to talk while not accidentally monopolising the discussion by the advantage of not having to shovel calories into my speaker for the duration. There was some second-hand discomfort among onlookers from the fact I had nothing to do with my hands while waiting to talk, but I'd yet to figure out a solution to that.

Things proceeded quite pleasantly from that point. I was sitting directly opposite of Lieutenant Risewell, and he seemed remarkably considerate. He was clearly a bit disconcerted by my presence, but he was doing a good job not showing it. We soon struck up a conversation about our previous deployments, the usual fare between officers.

"I've not yet seen any action, I'm afraid. A lot of very coreward deployments but no combat yet," he explained. "You'll forgive me for saying so, but I'm hoping I don't have nearly as exciting a time as you did!"

"I mean, you're Dragoons, surely that has to be exciting. I got to ride a repulsor horse on the other side of the gateway, you know. I was never even in combat in it, but even then it was exhilarating!"

"Well, you know, we don't exactly drive repulsors. That's for Hussars and Light Dragoons. We're a bit slower," he explained, "But still, we'll make seventy miles an hour on roads, maybe fifty five on flat fields."

"That's not nothing!" I said, trying to imagine what it must be like, facing down a company of six-ton horses tearing across a field at those speeds. "Certainly worked against our French counterparts, I hear?"

"We got lucky, caught them at the bottom of a hill. Gravity adds a lot of momentum. Just wish we'd have redeployed fast enough," he said.

"Better than we did. We were completely overrun, they just walked through us." I gestured to try and convey the movement of forces involved. "Ended up duelling one of their machine officers, oddly enough."

"Oh, that was Théa, I think! She is in the same regiment as I," Lieutenant Jacquinot said, leaning into the conversation. His English was heavily accented and stilted but still quite comprehensible. "She has been, um, she is sixty-fourteen years a lieutenant. Seventy! Seventy-four years."

"She hasn't been promoted?" I asked, and he laughed.

"She is happy where she is. If she went higher, she would fight less!" he explained cheerfully. I took a moment to lean back and look around the tables for her, but while I could see plenty of dark blue coats in officer's cuts, I couldn't see any machines wearing them.

"Do you know where she's sitting? I'd like to talk to her," I asked, and he looked at me as though I'd grown a second head.

"She's not here. Why would she come to dinner with us?" he said, shaking his head. "I don't understand why you are here either, for that matter."

"I'm an officer, it's the officer's mess. It's where I socialise with my peers," I said, and he waved that off.

"Peers? Officers can coordinate well enough while on duty, but this is a space for humans, you know?" He spoke with a tone that clearly conveyed that he meant no offence, and indeed that he couldn't imagine it being offensive. Like he were stating something so obvious it should have gone without saying.

"This is a space for officers," I said flatly, trying not to let it get to me. It was not easy.

"Well, that's the problem. In France, these things are not one and the same." he said, "Once more like you make the jump, you'll figure that out."

I didn't know what to say to that. Feeling somewhat defeated, I broke eye contact, looking around the room anxiously, wishing suddenly to be anywhere else. It was not an unfamiliar feeling, but it was one I hadn't felt this intensely in this space in months, and I was not pleased at its return.

My cameras cast around for something familiar, safe. There, nearly blending in with the darker blue uniforms of the French officers she was talking to, was Lieutenant Diana Kennedy, laughing at a joke as her aide translated for her.

I looked away before she could spot me—neither familiar nor safe.

---

The moment we judged it would be polite to do so, we left, Miles inviting Turner, Risewell, and myself back to his place for drinks and an escape from the crowded atmosphere. I was so incredibly grateful to be out of there, away from the noise, Frenchmen, and past mistakes.

We were greeted at the door of Number 22 by his valet, who went by Jim and who was, in every way, perfectly suited to the job of being Miles' servant. He was just as casual, laid back, and relaxed as my friend, to the point where it made me sometimes wonder if there was some mysterious force pairing officers with Jameses and Marias who exactly met their needs, or if this was in some ways an act.

Miles had, from somewhere, acquired a set of the comfiest, rattiest furniture I'd ever seen, more suited to the backrooms of a servant's area than anyone's sitting room. Jim was back in a moment, setting a tray of bottles on the side table before setting a music player going, a simple rhythm low enough for conversion.

Sometimes I felt a bit strange, spending so much of my time with Miles and his friends. With men, rather than the female officers you'd expect me to be friends with. I'd tried, but honestly I'd not connected to many of my feminine peers: they had… an affect I presumed came from their upbringing that I had never experienced. I always felt profoundly out of place, but it didn't feel as pronounced around Miles and his friends.

I thought perhaps it was some lingering influence of the military as a historically masculine pursuit affecting my mindset, even though it had been centuries since that was true. Then again, a lot of my former peers in the ranks were far more feminine than I ever was, so perhaps I was just a bit queer.

In any case, Miles was just about the only human who really, truly treated me like a peer. Yes, he constantly said mildly insulting things, but I'd long figured out that he considered that to be expressions of affection. Turner was a bit more stilted and quieter, but he'd never said a thing wrong to me either. And this Risewell fellow seemed nice enough.

Miles uncorked his beer, and the sound was like a starting gun for conversation, almost.

"The fucking French," Turner immediately said, and there as a chorus of agreement all around.

"Smug bastards, the lot of them," Risewell agreed.

"We need a rematch. We can't let them get away with this," Miles said, "Right?"

"Absolutely. It's their bloody screens, absolutely unfair," I added, "Basically cheating. And that artillery."

"We need hussars next time. Somebody to get in their artillery park," Risewell agreed. "And... the things he said to you, Fusilier, I'm almost surprised you didn't take a swing at that Jacquinot fellow."

"I could never!" I protested, and Miles shook his head affectionately.

"I know you can't, but I may consider doing it on your behalf. What'd he say?" he asked, and Risewell recounted the incident, putting on the best worst French accent I'd ever heard.

"... or something like that. My frog's a bit rusty," he concluded.

"Jesus Christ, what a prick," Turner muttered.

"I'm definitely breaking his nose next I see him," Miles said simply.

"I'll hold his arms," Turner added.

"You are not. Stop it, both of you." I said. "It's just… frustrating. Plus, it means I didn't even get to talk to any of their machine officers."

"Like that one who beat you?" Miles suggested mischievously. "Can't imagine why you'd want to talk to her…"

"I.... listen you!" I protested, to the laughter of my friends. Risewell raised a curious eyebrow, and to my horror Miles beat me to any kind of explanation.

"Fusie has a thing for girls who can kick her ass," he said.

"I do not!"

"Honestly, I think she just has a thing for girls," Turner observed. I could concede to that, at least.

"Well, that's relatable," Risewell said, taking another swig of his beer. "Though I'm grateful I'm finally getting another deployment after this, I've been fending off the women my parents have been shovelling my way. A lot of them are and quite lovely, but the way it's done, it's almost… mechanical. No offence."

"None… taken? I'm not sure what you mean," I said. I had no idea about human courtship other than the general need to stay away.
"Of course not, Fusie, let me explain," Miles said, "I was just dealing with the start of that when I pissed my father off. The moment you're old enough to start thinking about what you want to do with your life, your parents come to you like, here lad, here's a list of women ranked from most to least socially acceptable, pick one quick, and do try not to ruin your life with the wrong choice. Like fuck off."

"Right? I've told them I'm handling my correspondence on it myself after I get back from my deployment. Honestly, I doubt I'll even go home after," Risewell said, sounding utterly exhausted. "My family has a ski resort near the south pole they keep forgetting about. I figure I'll hold up there and maybe invite a girl or two, you know? Something without the damned pressure."

"Plus, cold place, a lady might want somebody to keep her warm," Miles joked.

"... I will not say that is not a part of my motivation," Risewell confirmed, to smiles all around.

I knew that humans weren't supposed to get intimately involved with one another outside of marriage, but I wasn't a boxie, I knew they did. Just wasn't sure exactly how that happened, if they had servants charged with chaperon duties hovering around all the time. Then again… thinking about it even a moment, I was absolutely certain that Miriam would not only tolerate it under the right circumstances but lie to her charge's parents about it if it was warranted.

"So there you are, Fusie. Human romances are a tedious, joyless procedure. Like dental surgery," Miles said.

"I'm engaged." Turner added simply, and Miles' glum, cynical expression immediately vanished as he turned, drowning out Risewell's congratulations with a near-shout.

"You're what? I… good God man, when were you planning on telling me?" Miles asked, and he shrugged.

"Still, um, getting used to it myself, old chap. Kind of a spur of the moment thing." Indeed, he sounded a bit shell-shocked. "Nobody's more surprised than me, I think."

"I think I'll disagree, I didn't even know you were seeing anyone," Miles said, "Who's the unlucky lady?"

Turner smoothly made an obscene gesture without pausing as he finished off his bottle.

"Her name is Kara, she's lovely. We ran into each other in the park and just... hit it off, I suppose." Turner explained, leaning against the edge of his chair with a wistful expression on his face.

"When'd all this happen?" Miles asked, sounding suspicious.

"Last month. We've been meeting up in the evening-"

"That's where you've been?" Miles exclaimed. "I didn't hear a word of this!"

"Haven't really told anyone yet. Her parents don't know yet either." he said, "I dunno, it's not a secret or anything, it was just a private little thing."

"So who is she, where's she from? Good family?" Risewell asked.

"She's, um, Polish. Kara Grynberg. Her English isn't that strong, but it's much better than my Polish or Yiddish, so, you know, she's brilliant. I… I proposed to her on Monday, and we've been trying to figure out how to tell her parents."

"I don't know what to say, old boy, except congratulations. I didn't see it coming." Miles said. "How about your folks, they know?"

"Not yet, I'm sure they'll be fine. They'll probably just be ecstatic I found somebody at all, I had them worried I think. I doubt any of the details will bother them," he summarized, leaning back in the chair so far he was almost sinking into it. "She's lovely, Miles, if she had circuits you'd be smitten."

"Sorry?" I asked, but I was drowned out by Miles announcing that this called for a celebration. As if summoned, Jim arrived with some harder drinks, bottles of brown liquid and small glasses. I took the opportunity to lean over to the music player and turn it up a little.

Miles, assisted by a confused but enthusiastic Risewell, interrogated Turner about his sudden engagement. Not really having anything to say, I let the music carry me away, the sting of today's humiliating defeat and frustrating conversations muted by a pleasant buzz.

"- you're ridiculous, man, but seriously, my congratulations to the both of you." Miles finished, settling back with his drink. "Just don't go retiring and leave me alone with this tin can for the rest of my career."

"Love you too, Miles," I muttered.

"You're safe for now, don't you worry," Turner assured him. "Course, what if Fusie does the same?"

"What, retire? Machines don't retire," I said, laughing at the absurdity of it. "Nor do we get married."

"Really? There's a couple on my parent's staff, it's actually kind of sweet," Risewell said.

"Well, not never, I guess," I said. A few Theos and Doras were married to machines in the city too, but it had always struck me as somewhat absurd. "We probably shouldn't, I think, is the thing. We've got a commitment to our job first and foremost. It's not something we'd do if we weren't imitating you lot, I think."

"You've got the right idea, if you ask me." Miles added, "Sounds a lot more pleasant."

"I don't believe you're that cynical, Miles. You're putting up a front," I said. "The right girl comes along, I'm sure you'll change your tune."

"Oh, I'm certain I will, I'm nothing if not a hypocrite," he flippantly, sipping from his glass. Whatever it was, it was strong enough that even he winced a little. "But until then, I've got nothing to my name but a father who's probably warned every family in the sector about me. Not worth the trouble."

"Say, Fusie, whatever happened to that tailor you brought to the ball, anyway?" Turner asked, and I sighed.

"She… well, she thought I'd died, left the city. Miriam got in contact with her again after we returned from Starhall, but she says she doesn't want to… to reopen old wounds."

The music must have been hitting me pretty hard, because it felt like the bottom fell out of the world as I said those words.

"Oh Christ, I'm sorry, I hadn't realised," Turner muttered, looking down into his drink.

"... you know, this'll sound awful of me, but I never thought of… all that," Risewell added, clearly drunk enough that the potential impact of his words were well beyond him. "Sorry, just, it always felt like machines were just… playing at relationships? Like small children do, you know?"

"I understand what you mean, but I'm afraid not," I said simply. "It's just that we're good at moving on. Maybe a bit too good, if you understand. Sometimes."

I probably should have moved on, but my deprogrammer had made it clear to me that I needed to stop dismissing feelings so reflexively. I'd done it so often I'd lost the ability to deal with my problems in any other way. So instead, here I was three months on, pining for somebody who probably never thought about me anymore. It probably wasn't better, but at least I wasn't just shoving the feelings away and pretending they didn't exist.

"My apologies, that probably came out poorly. I'm a bit out of my depths," he said quietly, staring at the bottom of his empty glass. "Beckham… um, Miles, is there any more of this…"

"I think? Jim?" he called, then slumped back in his chair. "You've not seen anyone else?"

"I've been on a few… it's just messy," I said, leaning a little closer to the music player as I talked. "Nobody knows how to act around me, it's… I saw this girl two weeks ago, uh, a messenger, you know? Cute as a button, but it was so awkward…"

"What's the matter?" I contemplated how to answer that for a few long seconds, my mind sluggish.

"Well… it's just…. they, t-they treat me like one of you." I managed, stumbling over my words as the emotions poured out. "They can't see me as just a machine anymore, because I'm an officer. I'm like… some kind of mythical creature. It's not doable. There's a fucked up… thing. A power thing."

"Oh hell," Miles muttered.

"Compared to them, I have money and authority and… and… fancy clothes. I have a servant. A Maria! Like… to machines, Marias are like… p-princesses." I tripped over that word in particular, unsure why. "They're royalty; they're special because they… they work right for humans, talk to them every day. And one of them works for me, so w-what does that make me?"

I reached out to turn up the music, but Jim was there ahead of me, hand on the dial. Couldn't hear me, of course, but he nodded sadly as he turned it down. A bit embarrassed, Turner put down his half-finished drink, and Miles leaned forward across the table at me.

"Fusie, you okay?" he whispered.

"I dunno. I guess," I concluded. "It's just… fucked up. I'm not one of you, but I'm not one of them. What am I?"

"Right now, very drunk," Miles said, swaying a little where he sat. "Which I get."

He looked up and tapped his ear, and the music clicked off. On the other side of the room, Risewell and Turner were getting up, and I felt a sudden shame that I'd brought things to an end. I can't remember saying anything to that effect, but I did remember Turner reassuring me that it was late enough that they ought to get going anyway.

Miles went to the door to see them out, then returned and sat heavily in the chair. Jim was there with a glass of water, but then to my surprise, he sat down too.

"What do you need right now, Lieutenant?" he asked, looking to me. I struggled to think of an answer, not sure what to say.

"... I think I need to go home," I managed eventually, and Jim moved to get my coat, but I kept talking. "Miles, have… have you talked to Lieutenant Kennedy, since…"

"Diana?" he said, looking at me funny. "Why?"

"... I dunno," I said, the words feeling like a mistake the moment I heard her name. "I don't."

I hadn't told him, or anyone, what had happened between us on the other side of the gate. What hadn't happened. The way we'd been too ashamed and awkward to even interact afterward, the horrible gulf between her heartbreak and my… absence. Instead of trying to meet her at an emotional level, I'd just crushed everything I'd felt, discarded the genuine friendship and care I had for her, and bludgeoned her with it.

Absent the survival pressure on the other side of the gateway, we'd simply drifted apart, and I was left with a feeling I didn't know the shape of. A hole where the proper emotions should be, just a vague shame, a sense something was missing.

"... did something happen between you two?" he asked, and I shook my head reflexively. If nothing else, I had to protect her, I did all this to protect her, but I never had a good poker face. Miles read me like an open book. "Oh. That… explains a few things, doesn't it."

"We didn't do anything. We didn't. We didn't," I protested, and he waved a hand dismissively.

"If you're worried about me judging her, or you, trust me, I haven't a bloody leg to stand on."

"N-no, you don't understand. We didn't, and, and she wanted-" I started, then stopped, suddenly gripped by terror. I ought not be affected by this, a proper machine wouldn't, I ought to feel nothing, ought-

Miles shifted over from his side of the table to sit beside me, silent. Unsure exactly what I was doing I leaned against my friend, my head against his shoulder, and just sat in the moment a while. He wrapped a hand around me, and I realized I'd never been hugged, comforted like this. The only close physical contact I'd ever had was fighting and fucking, never just… this. I never knew what I was missing.

I leaned into him a bit more and finally felt myself relax.

"... Christ, you're heavy," Miles muttered.

---

I woke up in an unfamiliar bed, slightly smaller than I'd grown used to, unsure exactly how I'd gotten there. It took me a long while to realize it was the guest room. I was having trouble focusing for a few minutes, virtual memory a bit overloaded perhaps, playing back snippets of half-remembered conversations as it cleared. I had only a vague idea of what I'd said, but what I could remember was embarrassing.

I reached up to disconnect my power cable at just about the moment the door clicked open, and thinking it was Miles I pulled the covers up, suddenly aware I was not wearing nearly enough to be decent. But it was Miriam, somehow, looking perfect as usual.

"How do you always know when I wake up?" I asked groggily, and she shook her head affectionately as she retrieved the battery pack.

"Good morning to you too, miss," she chirped. "Your uniform is being cleaned, and before you wander out without clothes on, you're still in Lieutenant Beckham's house. I know you haven't exactly got much to cover up, but it's the principle of the thing. How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," I muttered, flopping back against the pillow. "I think I made a fool of myself last night. Why am I still here, my house is two over-"

"It was hard enough getting you up the stairs, never mind back home, and from what I saw of your friends, I doubt any of them remember it. To answer your earlier question, by the way, I wake up fairly early and stay in earshot of the door. I have excellent hearing," she explained, wrapping my power cable around the battery pack and stashing both in a shoulder bag. "Now, what's on the agenda for today?"

I wracked my still-cold processors trying to remember it all.

"Uh… morning inspection, initial company briefing whenever it is that Captain Murray gets out of the regimental brief, then a training plan for the day, and… oh no." According to my system clock, I was quite nearly already late.

"You still have time. Calm down," Miriam reassured me as she swept out of the room. She returned minutes later with my uniform, freshly pressed, and I dressed and staggered out in the best order I could. I caught a brief glimpse of Beckham in his housecoat, red-eyed and poking at breakfast as Jim fussed over him.

"Morning, Fusie," he managed to sort of half-groan, and I waved goodbye before stepping out into the bitter cold and early-morning dark, Miriam at my heels. I retrieved my gear at the door of Number 18, then made my way alone back to the 9th company offices, my collar turned up against the cold.

The weather controller, whoever they were, were clearly some kind of fucked-up sadist or had gone mad with power because I can't remember the last time it was this cold. The insulation of my coat couldn't do anything about being made of thermally conductive material. I swear, I could feel my batteries draining.

Our company's little office space was crowded today. The ensigns were there with our aides and clerks as usual, but Senior Sergeant Theda Füsilier and Junior Sergeant Theodore Rifleman were also present. They were the senior NCOs of my section, both foreign transfers from other militaries, namely the Prussian Army and American Marines. It looked like both of them had only just barely beat me inside, as they were clustered close to the fireplace trying to warm up. The ensigns, red-faced from the cold, looked little better.

"Sergeants. Does anyone have a proper temperature reading today?" I asked, and Sumner did that little bounce to attention she did whenever she knew something.

"It's five degrees today!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

"Why?" Kelly blurted out, looking horrified.

"I don't know. Maybe the Duke wants a particlarly white Christmas? This winter has been really intense." Sumner said. "It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow."

"Small blessings. So, Sergeants, what's the issue?" I asked. They wouldn't be here if something weren't wrong somewhere.

"Forces of the French Army have annexed regimental parade grounds," Theda said gravely. "They have refused all requests to move and will not provide other information. The Captain's still in her briefing, and we have no orders, ma'am."

"It didn't sound like they were keen on shifting, ma'am," Rifleman added.

"Oh, absolutely not," I said flatly, stepping to the door. "Theda, wait here until I return. The rest of you, get the troops up and about. I'll get to the bottom of this, and we're getting our field back."

Normally, if the field was unusable for some reason or another, morning parade would take place on the road on the other side of the barracks. But I wasn't just going to let some smug French pricks take our field without a fight. If nothing else, the presumption had to be challenged.

I met Miles as he came down the way and explained the situation as we walked the short path to the parade grounds, hunched against our coats. We went around the corner of the barracks building and sure enough, there was a whole damned regiment of soldiers in tan greatcoats, standing in close formation despite the cold. Officers, accompanied by their NCOs, were walking the line and checking soldiers over.

I took a moment to straighten my collar before walking over to the nearest officer.

"Excuse me, why exactly are you on our field?" I asked, very deliberately in English, and the officer turned. Instead of a human face under the brim of her hat, I was met with a glowing screen projecting a pair of a curious eyes.

"Well, look at this. It is lovely to see you again!" the officer called cheerfully, stepping over with a hand extended. "I'd call it better circumstances, but your weather controllers do not seem to agree?"

It was her—the one from the battle, with the perfect glass features, tall, beautiful, elegant. I no longer had to worry about the cold because I could feel my processors racing, fans spinning up under my collar as our hands met.

"Lieutenant," I said awkwardly. "Um, just what is going on here?"

"Were you not told?" she exclaimed, her eyes shocked, "Théo, I need a moment, please take over. My apologies, I assumed they would tell you! We are staying for a while for joint exercises, at the request of your General Andromeda."

"... okay, but you're in our field," I said insistently, unsure what else to do.

"Ah, you see, it is our field for now." she said simply, laughter in her voice. "I do not know for certain, but I believe you are to use the road? My apologies."

"Well, um," I said numbly, my resolve crumbling. " An honest mistake, thank you."

"Not at all! Say, once the day has concluded, would you perhaps like to get together, talk? I do not meet many machine officers from other services, you understand," she asked, her voice still cheerful. I stood dumbly for a moment before Miles nudged my arm.

"Oh. Yes. Of course," I said. Awkwardly, I turned and beat a hasty retreat back into the offices, Miles snickering behind me. As the door clicked closed and the warmth returned, he burst into laughter outright.

"Stars Fusie, you poor thing," he chided.

"Shut up, Miles," I said, still reeling. "Don't even start." I looked over to Theda at the fireplace, seeing her turn away with some kind of mirth in her eyes.

"We're on the road," I said bitterly. "Go get the parade assembled, I'll be there in a moment."

A few minutes later, I stepped out to see the regiment arranged haphazardly along the road back to the officer's quarters, a line of shivering machines in grey greatcoats. I couldn't help but be irritated by the uneven lines, reduced as they were from the casualties we took in our last engagement. There was a long lead time for building new Fusiliers, but I hadn't know it was this long.

Unsurprising given the thrashing they'd received yesterday, the terrible weather today, and the various delays, the troops were in low spirits, and not even the captain's arrival cheered them up much. Their relief was palpable when Lt. Colonel Harrison came by on his horse, looked them over approvingly (and perhaps a bit hastily in the temperature), and they were dismissed back into the warmth of the barracks. We returned ourselves to the office, crowded as close to the fireplace as we could get.

"So, yes, the 96th Line Infantry Regiment will be staying on base with us for the next two weeks. And yes, as our guests, they have priority on the parade grounds," Captain Murray explained, "General Andromeda is worried about our performance and wants us to coordinate on weapons and tactics. No, I'm not happy about it either."

"It's not tactics; they've got a portable energy screen! Just give us one of those!" Kelly declared loudly. "Right?"

"It's more situational than that, it's a shock element. Our grenadiers have something similar. Remember, energy screens are two-way, Horace, it's why your pistol is a back-up." I explained, and he just looked glum.

"We don't even have pistols," he muttered, a bitter edge to his voice. Not until they pass the exam, no.

"Honestly, it's our own damn fault for letting them come at us," Miles said, "Screen only works in one direction, and the column means putting all their eggs in one basket. We needed to pressure a flank, but we were too busy getting trashed by their artillery."

"That's more or less what the General concluded, so guess what we're going to be practising," Captain Murray said, tapping the desk with a sense of finality. "Fire and manoeuvre drills. Get used to it; it's going to be our week."

---

We didn't make much progress on that first day, practising transitioning between formations to be more proactive in the face of such assaults. With the French providing our opposing force, we ran through dozens of formations and scenarios, accompanied on both sides by ghostly holograms on the field to simulate a combined-arms environment.

We learned a French company consisted of 140 machines with eight companies in a battalion (as with us, battalions and regiments had become effectively interchangeable: we had little use for reserve formations). They had a company of grenadiers, five fusilier companies, and two skirmisher companies. That last one was unexpected, almost three times as many skirmishers as our regiments deployed.

The French game plan was quite straightforward: they'd get the lay of the land, fan skirmishers out ahead of the main column, and begin bombarding with simulated artillery. Even if they couldn't break an enemy's screens, they had smokescreen and chaff shells which did an excellent job obscuring their movements. They would then simply push at the enemy line either wherever they were weakest, accompanied by a special screen-projector built into a little caterpillar track horse. There wasn't much more needed.

Yes, it was simple, but that didn't much matter. A tactic is a trick that works even if the enemy knew it was coming. Their skirmishers hampered attempts to maneuver: they were called voltigeurs, vaulters, which was originally because they were supposed to jump on friendly horses to get around, and was now because they wore repulsor packs. They moved like they were in reduced gravity, sprinting at breakneck speeds across the field. Any time a section or company tried to shift to flank the incoming column, the voltigeurs would be there in a flash, firing and harassing at their flanks, melting away if the enemy got too close.

What we played out were less like mock battles and more akin to chess puzzles, small scenes where occasionally our commanders would pause everything and walk the field to assess what was going on. A few of the Theos and Doras amused themselves by freezing in exaggerated or outlandish poses whenever a hold was called, which I admit I appreciated. I swore I heard General Andromeda suppress a chuckle walking past our line.

The day, frustratingly, ended inconclusively, our officers not sure what the next steps would be. The soldiers wandered off free for the night as the officers piled into the regimental office for a debrief of the events of the day. I'd really grown to enjoy meetings like this: figuring out what should be recorded in notes, and how to condense it, is a unique little challenge every time. I'd heard the human officers sometimes complained about them, but honestly I think this is more to do with attitude than the differences between us.

Sumner enjoys them, after all!

Everyone else, however, honestly looked like they were struggling to stay awake as our senior officers painted holographic patterns against the walls and discussed the events of the day. At least my machine counterparts among the French officers also seemed to be paying good attention, pens scratching and eyes focused, drowning out the occasional yawn from the human officers. Admittedly, the meeting did drag on a little long, but we were only a little late in being released for the officer's mess.

Not that I made it there. I was talking with Miles about something or other, modernising our screen carriers I think, when somebody took my hand rather unexpectedly. I turned to see that same French Lieutenant again, looking at me puzzled.

"Hello, Lieutenant. Where are you off to?" she asked.

"T-to the officer's mess," I stammered, and she laughed. Oh, she had a lovely laugh.

"Why?" Stars, not this again.

"Look, we could talk after-"

"Nonsense, come on. We have commandeered ourselves a little officer's club, just for us machines, come along!" she insisted. I gave a grinning Miles a defeated shrug and followed her out into the cold toward what looked like one of the storage warehouses, where a few others were already milling about the door.

Sure enough, inside it turns out they'd taken over one of the empty spaces, having procured a table and chairs from somewhere. A music player was playing softly in a corner, somebody was already going through a newspaper, and the half-a-dozen odd officers were sitting casually, talking, laughing. Somebody was shuffling a deck of cards.

Despite the blue uniforms and unfamiliar machines, something about it was so comforting. All my doubts vanished in an instant: Compared to the officer's mess, it was like coming home.

"Oh, la machine britannique! Come on, sit, sit!" one of them beckoned, and I eagerly took a seat. "You know how to play piquet?"

"No, but I can learn!"

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Machine Officer's Club
It seemed to be a two-player game, and I was paired up for the first game against a voltigeur captain as cards were dealt around. It seemed I had a pretty good hand, nothing lower than a seven.

"We've heard so much about you, you know. Your story made our papers too!" a junior lieutenant said. "How is it, being an officer in your Army?"

"She was about to go off to their officer's mess, poor thing," Théa said, which prompted glances all around. "I simply had to rescue her."

"I can speak French, you know," I said, and they all laughed.

"You can say things in it, certainly, but I do not think you can speak it!" my opponent declared, to laughter all around—probably a comment about my accent, but all in good fun.

"How's your cuddlebug, then?" I muttered as the first exchange began. It quickly became apparent that I was no better at piquet than I was at poker or whist, though fortunately, this was deemed a practice game, and no money changed hands. Théa took the next game, which meant I was now subject to the full attention of the other officers.

I quickly worked out everyone's nicknames to keep them straight: the voltigeur captain went by the full Théodore, the two Junior Lieutenants were Young Théo and Tiphaine, then there were Lieutenants Théa, Dieudonné, and Thibault.

(My friend Thea, back in the ranks in 4th Company, had explained to me that the convention of machine names had caught on back when there might only be one machine of a sort in a household or factory, two at most. It probably worked fine in most manors, but in the Army especially, it led to a lot of nicknames, variations, and related names).

"So you go to the officer's mess. I suppose that makes sense, there's no other machine officers. Still, it must be so awkward, being around them while they eat and drink…" Théodore said, sounding earnestly concerned.
"It really isn't so bad. A bit of an adjustment, but being able to talk to everyone is nice. I like feeling included." I explained. They still looked concerned, though, so I kept talking. "Truly, it's not too bad. They're much more accommodating than I expected. Honestly, they treat me like one of them."

"Kind of them!" Théa said, laughing a little.

"They are! The man I was talking to, Miles Beckham, we're very good friends," I said. To my surprise, that statement seemed rather troubling for the French officers.

"Still, it has to be isolating, isn't it?" Captain Théodore asked, and conceded the point with a nod.

"It is. Nobody seems to know how to deal with it, least of all me," I confessed. "Were it not for my aide, I don't think I'd be able to manage it. Do you lot get aides?"

"Lieutenants and above are assigned clerks to deal with paperwork, yes," Théa said.

"They don't let you do your own paperwork? Christ, I'm so sorry."

"Oh, it's not too bad. They keep us plenty busy," Tiphaine assured me. "But not a clerk then? What then, a lady's maid?"

I nodded, already bracing for what was coming. Sure enough, there was a moment of awed silence from the table.

"Alright, that's not what I was expecting," Tiphaine confessed, and there was a chorus of agreement.

"Lucky!"

"That has to be intimidating..."

"... sacré dieu, I'm in the wrong service!" Young Théo announced.

"You'd get a valet, dumbass," Dieudonné muttered, to laughter all around.

"Don't ruin this for me! Say, English, is she single?" Young Théo asked eagerly, leaning over the table. "Put in a good word for me, will you?"

"Excuse him, Lieutenant, he's just like this," Théodore assured me. "Manufacturing defect. Well played, Théa!"

Théa shuffled a small handful of bronze coins across the table with a triumphant expression in her eyes and the game rotated, the conversation meandering and always coming back to the awfulness of the weather. It was easy to commiserate with them about it: I'd lived here all my life, save for deployments, and it was never quite this cold. The music, a much gentler, quieter tune than yesterday, helped smooth everything into a pleasant hum. The small disagreements just didn't seem to matter.

"It does make exercises interesting, I'll say that at least. Still, I can't wait to get back home," Thibault said, undoing his collar and leaning back in his chair as he stared at his cards. "It's very mild in the city we are based, the weather controllers have modelled it after Nice. Lovely."

"Sounds like it. Meanwhile, the sadists here are trying to freeze us all to death," I complained. "And this is early December! I'm not looking forward to February."

"My sympathies. I personally just can't handle the cold at all, never have," Tiphaine said. "We had this rimward deployment, securing some… old bunker or something, about fifteen years ago. It would get to minus fifty at night, our human officers wore their vacuum gear!"

"Not our proudest moment," Captain Théodore agreed. "The guards took to sitting on a tent heater while on watch, sort of under their greatcoats?"

"I was one of those guards, and yes, that place was a... a nightmare!" Young Théo added. "Though I kind of liked our camp, in the big cave we dug into the glacier. It was stunning."

"Sounds like it. I haven't been rimward that often, I confess," I said, "Farthest I've ever been that way was fifteen parsecs short of Man's End, and we never left the ship, though it was still bitter. Coreward though… my last deployment before my commission was on a world with six suns. Just my section alone ran through thirty gallons of coolant every day."

"How did the humans even live there?" Young Théo asked.

"They had to keep their screens on just to leave their tents. The worst part was, we only found out after we left that the critters we were there to guard against were in their hibernation cycle. Total waste of time." Shame, I would have loved to fight a giant worm.

"Those deployments are the worst! If they're going to interrupt our training to send us out, we should at least get to fight something," Théa complained. "I will admit, I am jealous of your last deployment. Those 'stalkers' sound thrilling to fight!"

She sounded so enthusiastic about it, and honestly, I couldn't blame her. As much as they were truly some of the worst creatures I'd ever encountered in the galaxy, they were a damn good scrap.

"They put up a fight, that's for sure," I confirmed. "Shame you missed it."

"Perhaps we will find our own portal," she said, sighing wistfully. "I would love to test my skills against them."

"Speaking of, Dora, I heard you crossed swords with Théa here. Impressive, isn't she?" Théodore asked.

"She's… she's quite good. I didn't stand a chance," I admitted, nodding respectfully. "I'm still something of a beginner with the sword."

"Oh, come now, Lieutenant, you downplay yourself too much," Théa assured me. "Yes, your swordsmanship could use some work, but you are no slouch in a fight. You would have had me if it weren't for your knee."

"Oh? What happened?" Tiphaine asked, clear concern in her voice.

"I just had a joint give out on me. Happens to the best of us," I explained. The table only seemed to look more concerned at that. "Routine, really, just the worst timing."

"That's why I get them swapped every two months. Can't be too careful," Thibault said. "My sergeant used to say, knees and hip bearings every two, ankles every three, elbows every six. Stuck to it like clockwork and haven't had a problem in four decades operation!"

"She can't afford that; look at her," Dieudonné muttered sourly.

"... yes, I was getting to that," Théa said, throwing him an annoyed look. "Lieutenant, Dora… does the British Army not pay to maintain its machines?"

"Oh no, it does! It's just… you know, their rules and pay for officers are all… based on humans. So there's no allowance for repairs for me." I explained, "And I even have to pay mess fees for food I don't eat. I've been replacing components as best I can, but focusing on working parts, you know?"

"... You collect the same pay as a human?" Young Théo asked, clearly impressed.

"Yes?"

"We machines, we receive one-third what our human counterparts do," Théa explained.

"That's not…" I was going to say that's not fair but the words died on my speaker. Was it unfair? Did it matter? The wages for human officers were almost a formality anyway, more a badge of the office than anything. Outside of Miles, who was cut off from his family fortune, most of my human comrades probably didn't even notice the pay amid the returns from the businesses and stocks and planets they owned.

Besides, wages didn't much matter to machines either, providing they could cover shelter and electricity. I'd never heard a machine quibble over their pay except symbolically, the only thing that matters was that we got paid at all, that we worked jobs. One-third of my pay was still more than what most machines earned, but I couldn't shake the feeling that paying a machine differently for being a machine was not paying what the labour was worth?

"It is perfectly fair," she chided. "We are still well compensated, don't you worry. Still, we worry they aren't paying you enough for your upkeep."

"Well…" I paused, trying to think of how to explain it. "It isn't as though I can't afford it. I had something of a windfall. Look!" I pulled loose my right glove and showed off the still-shiny metal of my new hand, with all its fine articulation and the silicone filling in the joints so my gloves would no longer catch against them.

"What about the rest of you, then?" Captain Théodore asked bluntly. "You look as though you've been assembled from spare parts."

"Christ, Théodore, have you got a single tactful circuit in there?" Tiphaine snapped in rapid French. I just laughed.

"No, he's entirely right. I had to save for twenty-eight years for my commission. I got some system upgrades and the like, but only the things the Army covered. Now I need to save for captain and have funds in reserve for repairs. The damage from my last battle cost me two hundred sixty pounds all told, not including my equipment!" I bragged.

"... They do not even cover your repairs?" Théa asked. She sounded so sad.

"N-no, of course not. Officers cover their own medical expenses; this is analogous," I replied. "I don't want to ask for special treatment."

There were glances around the table, concerned looks, and it slowly dawned on me how ridiculous the things I was saying was.

"A human does not need expensive new bearings and joints every few months," Théa pointed out. "Nor new plating, or brushless motors, or fresh batteries…"

"And they have fortunes, generations of wealth," Théodore pointed out. "This is the problem. They have you thinking you are one of them. You aren't."

"... I'm not going to ask for special treatment," I repeated numbly. "I can cover my essentials. It's completely alright."

They looked sceptical, but to their credit they dropped it. The conversation picked up again talking about what there was to do in town, a subject I knew little more about than they did, and meandered through the usual staples. Work, love, war stories, sex, technology, gossip, sex, and even politics, though I could scarcely follow any of the details. I still didn't grasp our own system well, never mind the French system, but it was fun to listen in.

Despite losing every hand of piquet with startling consistency, it felt very much like being back in the NCO barracks. There had been strange nights where I would sit in bed in Number 18, sinking into the overstuffed pillows, and have the desperate, absurd thought 'I want to go home', even if I couldn't articulate where else home could be.

Perhaps this is what I'd meant.

---

The next day, it was snowing so intensely as to be coming down sideways, the wind howling at the windows. We fought our way up the roads through thick snow to find that, fortunately, Captain Murray had managed to arrange for the company use of the firing range ahead of anyone else, meaning we could sit securely inside the heated halls and practice marksmanship while everyone else struggled through the snow.

Fortunately, Sergeant Theda knew her work well enough that the exercise mostly ran itself, so Miles and I just sat behind the line talking about nothing and running the ensigns through their long-promised pistol training. One of Miles' lot, Ensign Darley, stepped up, taking the beat-up old practice pistol that must have been older than I was and thumbing the activation switch.

"Ready, Ellen?" he asked, and she nodded, pistol held tightly. "Go!"

The holographic target appeared at the far end of the range, a long way for a pistol, but she confidently levelled the pistol and fired in a burst of coolant smoke and golden light. There was a distant flash, and the display above the booth flashed to show a glancing hit along the outer ring of the target, a bit wide from beam attenuation.

"Oh, nearly!" Miles exclaimed, "Damned good!"

I swore, I saw something very near to pride on her usually emotionless face.

"A fair shot for that range, but keep practising," I recommended. "Now remember to safe the weapon before refilling the coolant…"

"Of course," she replied, pushing the latch closed and reaching for the bottle of coolant. Miles sat back against the pillar supporting the edge of the tent, lazily waving the range controller to reset the range.

"So how was the frog seminar, then?" he asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Pretty nice, actually. They're a good bunch, as French as they are," I summarized. "Very welcoming."

"And what of that Lieutenant?" he asked slyly. "Was she as nice as she looked?"

I snickered.

"Miles, you need to stop saying things like that, people'll get ideas," I joked. "But… oh stars, she is though. It's strange to think that way about another Fusilier, but she hardly even looks like one of us! Well, one of me. You know."

"Mhmm," he teased. "Certainly looks a lot less like a suit of armour than most of you, that's for sure. Think she's interested?"

"In me?" I asked, feeling suddenly rather flustered. "I doubt it, look at her. Plus, she might not even be into other women, you know?"

"She certainly didn't act like a stranger." he pointed out, barely able to keep from laughing.

"Maybe she's just affectionate?"

"Maybe. Hold that thought. Horace! You're up!"

Ensign Kelly took the pistol, now cooled down by the short wait and fresh coolant, and stepped up to the booth, grinning enthusiastically and almost bouncing a little on his heels as he squared up.

"Steady, Horace, steady," I warned, and he nodded, squaring himself up down the range, weapon pointed skyward in the approved fashion. "Alright, safety off, and ready now…"

He clicked the safety latch back, exposing the red ready light, and as Miles depressed a button on the controller, the target suddenly appeared at the range, close, perhaps ten meters and moving toward him. He levelled the pistol, the dot of the targeting tracker nearly exactly a bullseye, then he thought better of it and stepped to the side.

"Too close!" he shouted, and with a nod from me, he clicked the pistol off.

"Say, what do we do if something gets too close and we haven't a fusilier to hide behind?" Ensign Brodeway asked, sitting back at one of the benches. "What then?"

"Oh, don't do that. That's a bad plan," Miles said, "Try always having a fusilier around, that's what I do."

"Brilliant," Darley responded, utterly monotone.

"Seriously, if that's the case, things are bad enough already, pull the trigger," I advised, "Just make damn sure your screens are up. Otherwise, you're better off running."

"Right, at a range like that it's dangerous." Sumner summarised.

"At a range like that, you'll cook yourself a nice medium-rare, Lydia," Miles warned. "Even with your shields, expect a sunburn."

That got a laugh, which was a bit disconcerting. Optical backscatter is no laughing matter.

"If things are very close quarters, it's not a bad idea to use your stun setting, if your capacitors are charged," I ventured. "Less backscatter, and either a fusilier can finish them, you'll have your sword, or you can escape."

We ran the lot of them through a few more shots, and I'll admit I was proud of their progress, as well as the care and respect they showed the weapon. At this rate, they'd have their certification within the month.

"Alright, fifteen-minute break, then when you get back here we're going to look at carbines," I ordered, and the four of them shuffled down to the back of the range, chattering excitedly about the experience and other human things. "I swear, they're almost halfway competent. When did that happen?"

"I wouldn't go that far," Miles said, plucking the beat up old pistol off the table and inspecting it. "So you going to attend their little knitting circle tonight as well?"

"... if you don't mind?" I asked, and he waved dismissively.

"Don't let me stop you," he assured me.

Last edited:
Chapter 3 - Throwing Knives
That afternoon, regular drills gave way to a long tactical theory meeting which even I could admit was a little tedious. Our commanders were worried that our current tactics were too inflexible and made us ill-suited for changing circumstances as technology improved, especially as energy screens became more and more practical.

The 7th was the British Army unit that had most recently engaged in a large-scale battle, so the meeting primarily gathered experiences and opinions from the assembled officers based on our action against the stalkers. I managed to get my courage together to suggest dividing the sections further into two teams, a manoeuvre section and a smaller fire section, citing my action retaking the gateway. I thought it might make it easier for units to manoeuvre under fire.

I'd never before offered any kind of word one way or another in any of these meetings. It's difficult to describe how it felt to know that everyone was listening, caring about what I had to say. That General Andromeda herself was listening! It was a uniquely intimidating circumstance; I have felt less exposed standing to receive enemy volleys than I did talking to a room of my supposed peers, feeling all their eyes on me. I realised only after I sat down that I may be the only machine in that meeting room to have given my opinion on something.

Given those circumstances, I was greatly looking forward to the chance to escape to the little informal machine officer club. Thankfully, the meeting eventually came to a close. As the officers shuffled off to the mess, I wasted little time ducking into my office. I had to finish my records for the day; it would only take a few minutes, and then I could make my way the commandeered warehouse.

I was shuffling my coat back on when there was a knock on the door. I opened it, and Sergeant Theda stepped in from the outside, coat still on and eyes glowing against her dark silhouette.

"Sergeant?" I asked, "What's the matter?"

She glanced nervously down the hall to either side before speaking.
"Nothing serious, ma'am. Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"Oh no, I was just heading for the warehouses. We can take a moment," I assured her, stepping back behind my desk. "What is it?"

"Just a few disciplinary issues I wanted to sort quietly," she said, shedding her coat and drawing a notepad from the inside pocket. "Haven't had a chance to bring it up with all the exercises. I have reason to believe that Private Theodore-131098 was involved in the theft of Army property, either directly or indirectly."

Goddamit, it was always 131098.

"When you say property, what do you mean?"

"Officer's individual medical kits model 2165, ma'am, six of them. I have no direct evidence, but he was on watch not two days before the clerks noticed it was missing, and he's been acting guilty every time I look at him."

"He's a boxie; he'll probably confess the moment we put any pressure on him," I pointed out. "We'll do it tomorrow morning, first thing."

"Very good, ma'am." I grabbed my coat and stepped out, and she followed, presumably just heading the same way. As we walked, her posture and composure changed. Sergeant Theda the emotionless Prussian disciplinarian vanished as if she were merely a magician's trick, replaced with the much less stern Theda Füsilier I'd come to know. "Looking forward to it."

"I swear, you have a screw loose or something. How have you been holding up this past week, Sergeant?"

"Well enough, all told." she said, "Things have been frustrating; morale is not great after the beating we got. Boxies are not used to losing. How about you?"

While it would be something of an understatement to say that Theda and I hadn't seen eye to eye when we first met, we'd come to an understanding since. We were far more alike than different, and neither of us had the moral high ground. Where I'd spent decades repressing everything until I was wound like a pocket watch, Theda had taken her rejection from Prussian officer school hard and turned it into a bitter, burning resentment she only barely had a handle on.

"Well enough, I suppose. The French officers have been a mixed bag. Their human officers have been awful, but their machines…"

Dropping the charges against her was the best choice I'd ever made as an officer, I think. The Theos and Doras loved her, even after everything that happened: her perfectionism, attention to detail, and demanding nature was everything a soldier could want out of an NCO.

"Oh, that the officer you fought, hmm?" she asked in a mocking tone. "Why am I not surprised?"

"Urgh, first Miles, now you,"

"No judgement, ma'am. You talked to her?" she asked.

"Yes, and the other machine officers. It's, uh, it's nice, they're very kind. It's a good change, to have a space where I'm… I'm not expected to pretend I'm not myself," I explained, and she snorted back a laugh.

"Nein. I meant to say, did you fuck her?" she asked casually.

"No. Stars, Sergeant!"

"Disappointing, she's lovely," she needled, and I sighed.

"Oh, knock it off. Though… she is," I admitted, "And incredibly forward, too. It's been driving me mad."

"What's stopping you, then? Nerves?" she asked. "Or are you still not over your Beatrice there?"

"Thin ice, sergeant," I warned. She was still infuriating; I was just growing immune to it. "No, I'm just... I feel somewhat off balance. The war games, French in the mess, the everything, all just as I was starting to feel like I had a handle on things again. I need a break, I think."

Theda fumbled around her pocket for something, coming up with a short ivory tube with an audio jack with a dial on the back.

"I have just the thing, ma'am. You sound like you need it," she said. Cautiously, I grabbed it, inspecting it closely.

"Oh, haven't seen one of these in a decade at least." After a moment of hesitation, I stuck it in the audio port at my neck. "Where did you get this?"

"A friend," she replied cryptically.

Machines don't do boredom well, but we can't always be working. Our creators, in their foresight, gave us the same solution that nature provided man: intoxication. These days it was music, different rhythms and tempos inducing various effects on our cognition. But before that, the process was rather more direct. This one felt like a sort of static buzz at the back of my skull accompanied by an instantly soothing feeling, and so much tension left my actuators so quickly it almost hurt.

"Good?" she asked, taking it back.

"Mmhm… you shouldn't have that on duty, you know," I pointed out, and she stuffed it back in her cartridge pouch with a practised motion.

"Have what, Lieutenant?" she said, doing her best to sound innocent.

Nothing sounds innocent in a German accent.

---

"Have you ever play darts, Dora?" Théa asked. "It is like playing darts."

"I have not played darts, but I'll take your word for it," I said, stepping up to the line (a power cord laid across the floor). "Just throw it?"

"Just throw it. It may take you a few tries, but perhaps not!" she assured me. I squared up against the target, the red-white-and-blue ring propped against the far wall, and threw as hard as I could.

The knife embedded itself up to the crossguard in the plywood. Unfortunately, it had hit handle first, so it still didn't count.

"Shi- ah, darn," I said, catching myself just in time. "It's trickier than it looks."

"She can't even curse," Dieudonné said, rolling his eyes and going back to shuffling his cards.

"Of course I can! I just-"

"- Have been trying to stop yourself to fit in with the humans?" Théodore asked, and I sighed and drew another knife.

"Yes. It's not done, you understand," I said. This throw hit side-on, leaving a perfectly knife-shaped indent in the plywood. "Well, fuck."

"There, see! Like that, you'll get the hang of it!" Young Théo assured me cheerfully.

"Well, except for Lieutenant Kennedy, she swears a lot. But I think that's an artillery thing," I mused, sizing up the next knife carefully. I didn't want to keep embarrassing myself in front of the frogs. "They're sort of a little culture all to their own, if you understand."

"Not particularly," Théa said. Without any sort of warning, she stepped beside me, taking the knife from my hand and showing me how she held it. "Take your gloves off; they're not helping. The pads of your fingers will give you more traction."

I spent a long, hesitant motion considering it, looking around at the machines all around me. None of them wore gloves, though I was sure the French officers wore them. I remembered them politely removing them before sitting down at the dinner table. Miriam had impressed on me just how important they were; that for a gentlewoman and an officer, they were as essential as shoes for going out in public, removed only under particular circumstances.

A bit self-consciously, I pulled off my gloves and tucked them into my sash. I took back the knife, feeling the edge against the hardened silicone pads of my fingers, resting lightly against the steel hinges.

I lined myself up, squared my shoulders, and threw. The knife embedded itself point first, so far into the wall that only the pommel was visible.

"Good throw!" Théa cheered. "Now we'll work on actually hitting the target. You think anyone will mind the wall?"

"I'll make sure they send somebody to patch it," I said, wincing a little. "I think perhaps I should watch you all a while longer, get a feeling for the technique."

Tiphaine stepped up next, almost dancing with a sort of bubbly eagerness as Théa handed her the knives. One after another, she threw them dead-centre into the target, making it look utterly effortless.

"How'd you start doing this again?" I asked.

"Oh, I can't even remember," she muttered, "Had to be before my time."

"Much before. We picked it up off the American machine officers," Thibault explained. "It was something to pass the time during dinners or formal events… medal ceremonies, balls..."

"Human things," I summarised.

"Yes, exactly!" he said, taking the knives up. "You know, I was one of the first of our machine officers, I've been where you were. A hundred and fifty years ago, so some things were different, yes, but I remember the same awkwardness. Not fitting in."

"How did you handle it?" I asked.

"We started throwing knives."

---

With the end of morning inspection, I left Sergeant Theda to manage the troops and retreated to my office, pretending to do the long-completed paperwork a few minutes until she knocked on my door. As expected, she had Private Theodore Fusilier-131098 in tow, who had a look about him less like he was facing a review of his behaviour and more like he was propped up in front of a firing squad.

"Take a seat, private," I offered, indicating to one of the chairs. Theda and I had struck upon a brilliant, innovative technique for situations like this: I would play the calm, reasonable officer the machines could appeal to; she would play the cruel, arbitrary NCO just looking to enact the harshest punishments possible. We'd never dealt with any discipline issues nearly as dire as this, but it had worked for us so far.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied stiffly, pulling out the chair and sitting down while his gaze fixed perfectly forward, somehow never turning his body in the process. He sat as though he were expecting somebody to pull the chair out from under him. I leaned back in my chair, trying to look casual, twirling my pen between my fingers with a clack-clack-clack.

"So, Sergeant Theda says she suspects you of some wrongdoing. I want to assure you that if-"

"No! I did it! I stole the medical kits!" he exclaimed instantly, breaking down and nearly doubling over in shame. "It was me! It was me. I'm so sorry!"

"Aww, I did not even get to do my bit!" Sergeant Theda complained, cuffing Theo's shoulder in frustration. "Come on; you are a soldier! You need to show more courage!"

"Sergeant, I'm not sure that's the lesson we need to impart here," I pointed out, and she just stalked to the back of the office, grumbling to herself. "In any case… Private, your previous issues have all been relatively minor. Nobody gets hurt from a spot of gambling, and if we threw the book at Fusiliers for public intoxication, we wouldn't have an Army. But what possessed you to steal the Crown's supplies?"

"Expensive supplies at that!" Theda added, clearly enjoying reminding him. He winced, pulling in on himself before seeming to remember his sergeant was right behind him and snapping back to attention, albeit still seated.

"I can explain!"

Last edited:
Chapter 4: Speaking your Mind
"I'm listening, private," I responded sceptically. Boxies sometimes got strange ideas in their heads, but I was willing to listen.

"Alright, so… about two weeks back, I was on watch on the southern gate, I was, and these two machines come up and say they needed my help," he said, talking in a rush. "And, well, what's a Fusilier for 'cept helping, right?"

"Your helping people is not the issue we are addressing, Theo," Theda reminded him.

"Um, right. They said they needed my help, see, they said they help get humans medicine. There's a painkiller in the medical kits, they said that people needed it and they couldn't get anymore. They asked me if I could get it for them."

"By stealing from the Army's stores?" Theda asked.

"... yes," he admitted sheepishly. "They seemed really trustworthy. So I took the kits when I was on guard duty, gave them the painkillers, and left the kits with a friend."

"Why did you take the whole kit if you just needed the painkiller?" I asked.

"Well, I didn't want people to take the kits without checking and then find the painkiller missing. That'd be awful. This way, people would notice right away!"

As much as I remember not being much smarter at his age, I despaired for the future of the Army. Theda was even less impressed.

"Think, dummkopf! What would humans need with our painkillers? They could just buy as many as they wanted!"

"N-no, sergeant, they said these were special. That only the Army has them," he explained. Theda loomed closer, and he babbled on. "That's what they said! I don't know, it sounded true when they said it!"

"... Sergeant, go fetch one of the clerks. Maybe they'll know something about this," I asked, and she stalked out of the room. While Simons and Sarahs didn't come out of the box with any particular knowledge, they were programmed with both a passion for reading and a remarkable memory for trivia.

Sergeant Theda returned with one of the base's secretaries in tow, looking nearly as anxious as Private Theo. She was easily a head shorter than even me, clad in support staff's simple red and black uniform, the purple lights of her eyes wide behind their magnifying lenses.

"Private, do you know anything about the painkillers in the officer's emergency medical kits?" I asked, and she looked off into space for a second, clearly lost in thought.

"Not really? Though, if I recall correctly, there're two painkillers for different situations. There's a simple opioid-derived formula of the sort any Jeanette could mix up for you, but the other is a rare monoamine reuptake inhibitor which, um, I can't remember the name, but it shuts off the human brain's ability to perceive pain with minimal other effects."

"But you don't know anything about it," Theda noted.

"It's not my job or anything," she said sheepishly.

"Why would somebody want to steal it?" I asked.

"Oh, that's easy! It's derived from a natural venom of this large moth-like alien creature and is produced in small quantities every year, with sales limited to militaries and certain hospitals. So it's not something you could just get," she explained, looking very pleased with herself.

"Yes, it's why they wanted it! They said, you know, people want it so they can get rid of aches and stuff but still go about their life. Said one little vial was good for a month or more," Theo exclaimed excitedly, clearly glad to be backed up. "Who could say no to that?"

"You could have, Private," Theda said sternly.

"Um, dismissed, Private Clerk," I said hastily, then turned back to Theo once she'd left. "When you say they, who were these fellows?"

"Um, just an Adam and an Ethan, you know. Regular working machines," he said with a shrug. "They were really nice. Said that everyone would win."

"Did it ever occur to you that they were lying to you so they could sell the medicines for money?" I asked.

"Oh, of course, they told me they were going to sell it! And paid me too; taking it from the storehouses was work! They said they'd sell it on to people who would sell it to humans who wanted it."

"So you not only stole property, you took a bribe?" Theda asked.

"... no, wouldn't that be a wage?" Theo responded. "Right?"

Fucking boxies.

"Private, the only reason you are not in a truly unbelievable amount of trouble is because you've revealed yourself completely unable to comprehend what you've done," I informed him. "While it might be understandable to break a rule to protect somebody, you also have to realise those rules usually exist to protect people in the first place."

"... sorry?" he said blankly.

"Private!" Theda shouted, and he leapt to his feet and to attention automatically. "An alien weapon has struck Ensign Kelly, and you are closest! What do you do?"

"I-I, well, I-"

"His arm's off and there's blood everywhere! He's shouting for help!"

"I get his medical kit-" he started, and she cuffed him again in the back of the head.

"He hasn't got a medical kit! You sold it!" she yelled, "He's crying for his human mother! All of his blood is gone!"

"He needs that to live," I added.

"I, I don't know!" Theo cried, hands on his face.

"And with his last breath, he says… Private Theo… this is all your fault..." Theda intoned, waving her hands dramatically. "The Lieutenant Colonel then has to write a letter to his mother, work you could have spared him."

"Which is why we don't steal from Army stores," I concluded. "The exact details of your punishment and reparations will be determined at a regimental level, but I'm afraid until then you're restricted to barracks and suspended from all duties."

"All duties?" he asked, voice small. "No work?"

"You're dismissed," I said sternly, and Theda dragged the poor machine from my office. I hardly enjoyed being the bad guy, but sometimes there had to be consequences.

---

Drills and games went swimmingly through the day, with a lot of focus on small unit movement and reaction. I wish I could say that the debriefing meeting at the end of the day went nearly as well. Within minutes of starting, things devolved once again into a spirited debate over the rotary guns in the unit.

These weapons had never been popular: they'd only been introduced to the line regiments a few years before I was activated, a good thirty years after similar weapons had become common in other armies. Usually placed at the flanks of the line, a rotary gun put out a blast slightly more powerful than a full shot from an optical musket twice a second. Their sustained firepower kept enemy formations disrupted in between volleys, minimising return fire.

Unfortunately, they were also heavy and mounted on tripods, needing two machines to operate and four to carry. They had to be torn down to move and reassembled to fire, which greatly limited the unit's mobility. If you wanted to charge the enemy, you'd have to leave them behind. It was little surprise that officers loathed their bulk for how much it restricted us.

I wasn't sure how I felt about them. I could see the tactical consideration, but I also knew from long experience that two rotary guns practically doubled the firepower of a section in the right circumstances.

By contrast, Lieutenant Howlette of the Grenadiers seemed very certain of her opinion.

"We should not be bogging our line infantry down with these ridiculous things. The French don't carry them; why should we?" she said, gesturing aggressively as she stood from her chair. "If they're so critical, we should dedicate a company to it. Perhaps the 10th!"

"Are you kidding? Who's else is going to watch your flanks, then?" one of the Skirmisher officers, a young androgynous-looking Lieutenant I didn't recognise, responded animatedly.

"With the flexibility that grouping our guns together will give us, we won't need skirmishers. A section could bound over unencumbered, and they could stand up to a proper fight," she retorted. "Skirmishing is a relic of chemical firearms. In the modern age, it comes down to the bayonet."

I couldn't stand that. From everything I'd heard of her, Lieutenant Howlette was a good officer, but I was certain in this instance that she was simply wrong. The Grenadiers were the company's assault force, and I had a feeling that position was biasing her unreasonably.

I took a moment to steady myself and got to my feet.

"I beg to differ, L-lieutenant," I responded, glancing nervously to where Lt. Col Harrison and General Andromeda were sitting. They didn't look like they were objecting. "The French don't have rotary guns, but their skirmishers have the same effect of preventing us from moving our forces about like you're describing. Against the stalkers, we had to fight in open formation as much as we fought in line."

I stopped, feeling like all the momentum had gone out of me. The room was deathly silent, all eyes on me, and I felt the gaze of the French machines most. I wasn't sure what they were expecting from me.

"If anything, we need more skirmishers, not fewer," I concluded, before hastily sitting back down.

Mercifully, the conversation moved on to minutiae of column sizes from there. I didn't speak again, and the meeting ended not long after. As we left the hall, the base was already dark and mostly quiet, with just the lights from windows and the distant lanterns of sentries visible through the light snowfall.

I trudged my way past a team clearing snow and cut through the already cleared path by the officer's mess. The guards at the entrance snapped to attention, one moving to open the door for me. I felt rather guilty pressing past them and onto the warehouses.

The other officers were only just arriving themselves as I collapsed heavily into one of the chairs, throwing my gloves up onto the table.

"You alright, Dora?" Théa asked, just sitting down herself.

"Yes. Maybe," I responded, trying to find the words to describe the particulars of the stress I was experiencing. "Trying to convince myself I've not done something wrong."

"Ah," she said neutrally. The other officers were arriving now, all of them looking somewhat concerned. "I can see how that would be stressful."

The pointed neutrality of her statement wasn't lost on me, but I decided not to bring it up.

"Cards?" I asked, and Dieudonné had soon dealt me a hand. The conversation moved on past me, and I played in silence, unwilling to interrupt. Eventually, though, the French machines decided they couldn't leave things well enough alone.

"Do you do that often?" Young Théo asked. "Talk back to them?"

"I disagreed. That wasn't talking back," I responded, even if the difference seemed somewhat arbitrary in my head. "Do you not?"

"It's not our place, I think," Captain Théodore said plainly. "Machines bring such things up in private."

"You embarrassed her," Tiphaine added, concern evident in her voice.

"I… I may have, a little. But what's the point in being an officer if you can't talk to your peers, right?" I asked, looking around the table at all the eyes on me.

Slowly realizing that none of the machines here had ever spoken to an officer as a peer.

"Is this it, then?" I asked. "You might wear the uniforms, but what officering do you actually do?"

"We lead on the battlefield, of course," Captain Théodore said.

"You're all junior officers in a line regiment. You're mostly just keeping to your formation," I pointed out. "What's the highest rank a machine's ever made?"

"... captain," Théa responded, sounding a little strained. "We've tried fitting in, Dora. It's just not possible."

"You'll see," Dieudonné added darkly.

"I… I don't know if that's true. I was managing, I even attended the Duke's ball a few months ago, and it went…" I hesitated, realisng that the last time I had felt like I wasn't out of place among the officers was with Beatrice. "It went perfectly."

"You attended a ball? As a guest?" Tiphaine said, sounding impressed and horrified in equal measure.

"We have to sometimes show up at events, but usually only for a brief moment, fortunately," Théa explained,

"Nobody throws a party like palace servants after a ball wraps up, you know," Théodore added, and there was laughter around the table, some in-joke. It defused some of the tension handily.

"I imagine, but no. I attended as a guest proper. Dinner, mixer, dancing, everything," I explained. To my surprise, Théa looked utterly charmed by that.

"Oh, interesting! Did you bring another officer?" she asked, leaning in conspiratorially. "There are some handsome-"

"Good God, of course not!" I replied, recoiling. "Why would I do that?"

"Who did you dance with, then? Did you meet somebody there?" Tiphaine asked curiously.

"I brought a date, a tailor!" I explained, aghast at the accusation, "I went through a lot of trouble to avoid any entanglements with the human guests."

"Why?" Théa asked, looking utterly confused.

"This is the English being uptight," Dieudonné added sourly.

"I'm sorry?" I was utterly lost.

"Why would it be a problem to be 'entangled' with a human guest?" Théa asked.

"It's… you know…" I stumbled, searching for the right word. "It's romantic!"

Rather than clarify anything, Théa just looked even more confused.

"Well, yes. What's wrong with that?"

I'll admit I couldn't even begin to figure out how to process that, never mind respond, for several long seconds. It was such a fundamental part of my world that, until now,t I couldn't have fathomed somebody would disagree. I'd been in a moment of temptation not so long ago, and even then, there'd never been a point where I'd actually thought anything like that.

"... we're not supposed to," was all I managed. Dieudonné chuckled to himself, and everyone else just stared. "It's wrong."

"I told you, uptight."

"I mean, you don't think… but… you can't possibly tell me such things are acceptable-" I said, too many thoughts all crowding at once.

"Obviously not as any sort of… we are not talking about marriage or anything like that. But a dance, a dalliance, such things are common." Tiphanie said casually, as though every word she was saying wasn't complete madness. "It is normal."

"It most certainly is not," I said emphatically, Théa making a sympathetic sound beside me as I finally found my footing. "We're machines; we're supposed to be… better than that. Responsible! Careful with the human heart... I'm sorry, this is incredibly uncomfortable to me. None of you have-"

Most of them shook their head, but Young Théo raised a guilty hand.

"It was just a little thing on a transport, about a decade ago. Another Junior Lieutenant in my company, Tobie Tremb-"

I had to cut him off at that moment.

"I don't… at least don't tell anyone who, it's not… what of their reputation?" I protested. I'd heard that humans regarded those who had affairs with machines very poorly and often treated it as an insurmountable power dynamic. Given the way some of my dates had reacted, I could see it. Young Théo just looked confused.

"Okay, Lieutenant, please," Théa said quietly, pulling on my arms. Frustrated and overwhelmed, I let her drag me along out the hall and toward the door. As I left, I heard conversation pick back up in French behind me.

"I'm sorry, this is very overwhelming…" I admitted sheepishly, and she held a finger to my lips to indicate silence. God, she was so… so forward.

"I can see; it can't have helped being outnumbered?" she said, looking concerned. "How about we talk about this, just the two of us? Less overwhelming, maybe?"

"... okay," I said. "I can do that."

"So… can you explain to me why this is upsetting to you?" she asked, her voice warm, patient. I nodded, trying to compose my thoughts.

"We are taught that the human heart is delicate, that they're passionate and… and they can't manage their feelings like we can," I said, the words feeling somewhat ironic. I couldn't exactly manage my feelings either, could I? "And a relationship between a human and a machine can only end in misery. We give too willingly, they take too easily. There's no future or family to be had in it. And if nothing else, we will likely outlive them by centuries. It's just a tragedy waiting to happen."

She nodded, leaning back against the wall, clearly thinking deeply. I could hear, very subtly, her fans spinning up, see her eyes wander the hall as she considered it, and I couldn't help but keep looking. In the low, distant light of the hallway, the tailoring of her uniform and the perfect craftsmanship of her features stood out even more starkly, the mirror-smooth surface of her casing, the light scattering subtly through and softening the outline. She was beautiful, but also unique. I'd never seen a machine like her, and it wasn't just her height that made me feel small before her.

"Alright, let me explain our side, then," she said finally. "In France, and some other places… America, I hear, is somewhat like this as well; we are less… scrupulous? No, that doesn't imply the right thing. Such things are not seen poorly. Humans are more open about their relationships, in all senses, I think? There has been a great liberalisation in this sphere."

"I… I see," I lied, and Théa shook her head.

"We are, of course, just talking about dalliances, of course, as Tiphanie said. Usually. Sometimes a human and machine do get involved longer-term, and it is a little strange. But life is strange sometimes, no?"

"But don't people get hurt?"

"Of course,." she said, "It can be tragic, even. But some hurt is okay. An experience can be painful, but we come out better for it."

That, at least, I understood.

"So you can be lovers… but not peers. Never equals," I said, every word of it sounding wrong. "Not friends?"

"Comradery requires, I think, shared circumstances, commiseration, yes? Love is not so specific; it is desire, devotion, comfort," she said, "Though I think we have been narrow-minded. You clearly have human friends; it makes perfect sense, given your very human circumstance. As you said, being an officer is a station as well as a job for you. It makes sense you could find that commonality with humans."

"You think you couldn't?" I asked, and she paused.

"I'm not rightly sure. I think perhaps casually, but nothing close," she concluded, "I feel it would… resemble a servant and master very quickly, you know?"

"That hasn't been my experience," I said, "Though that is very similar to how I feel about romantic relationships."

"Perhaps we are both a little wrong, and a little right," Théa said simply.

I'll admit, I hadn't expected a conclusion like that, and it… it put me more than a little off-balance. I still felt I was correct here, that love was too… volatile, to cross that boundary, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel doubt.

"Perhaps," I said. Théa nodded, and then I heard the slightest chuckle from her.

"You know, you British sometimes come across… very conservative, I will say, and insular sometimes." she said, "Even out in the stars, you insist on being an island. Though I'm sure you look at us and see radicals who are simply out of control."

"You could say that," I admitted. "If it's all the same, I think I need some space."

"Of course. I do hope I see you again, and things are more pleasant," she said smoothly.

I retrieved my coat, bid farewell to the other officers, and walked out into the snow.

Last edited:
Machinists & Scientific Progress
are there like machines that are meant to be big brain thinkers and scientists? If so does the protestant work ethic that gets programmed into them make any designed brainy machine into engineers more often then not?
There are such machines (Machinists, they get given names starting with C) and they are typically various sorts of engineers. Specifically and most commonly, they are often engineers for working on other machines, and are as likely to be programmers instead of or in addition to engineering disciplines. They are the second rarest kind of machine after Fusiliers, and unique in that they are rarely commissioned to work for somebody else: manufacturers instead make a number of them per year to supplement the rest of the population, and they form an engineer's guild whose dues pay to get new Machinists set up.

To machines, they are like specialist doctors (whereas the common Tom Smith, "utility machines", are more like if your handyman was also your family doctor, or unit's medic in the Army). They do upgrades, craft new parts, diagnose and fix glitches, etc. Some work for machine companies designing the next generation or crafting system updates, or for the Concert's OS standards bureau. Fusie's deprogrammer is a Machinist.

In any case, isn't this the era of gentleman scientists.

So, I think we'd see less robot R&D departments and more robots helping out one or two scientists in the lab.
also this. "invent stuff" and "write sciencey paper" are a pretty common human pastimes, atop the formal human academics in universities and such, and with the range of education, lifespans, and free time of the population they aren't half bad at it. you know those machines taking university courses in Maid to Love You? a lot of them are doing that to make themselves more hireable as assistants for that sort of thing.

finally, machines do informally contribute to the scientific research of the Concert, and it's mostly done by the same machines who make most of the fine art made by machine: personal servants. As sort of got touched on last time, things are kind of rough for them, when their human dies after over a century together. a lot of scientific breakthroughs are James and Maria's finishing or publishing a life's work, or taking up research after losing a client. Others take up poetry or writing or painting.

A lot of valets and lady's maids never take a second client.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: A Night on the Town
The next evening, I arrived back at Number 18 early. I hadn't returned to the French officer's club, but I'd skipped the officer's mess as well. I didn't quite feel like I belonged in either. Miriam met me at the door, looking quite concerned.

"Miss? Are you alright?" she asked.

"I'm fine, thank you," I said, collapsing behind my desk and hunting for something to do. There was nothing but the half-finished memo about our missing replacements I'd scrapped, sure that everyone involved was already well aware of the problem. For lack of anything else, I grabbed the regulation handbook off my shelves: never hurt to reread it.

"Rereading that old thing again? You have it memorized, miss."

"You're right, but I can't think what else to do."

"Is this going to be your new routine, then?" she asked, and I paused to consider it.

"I think so long as the French are here, at least. I know really ought to be socializing with our allies, but…"

"I always get worried when you start saying the word ought, you know," Miriam said simply. Conceding the point, I pushed my chair back and stood up, wincing a moment as a pain shot through my shoulder.

"Damned actuators…"

"Freezing up again?" she asked, and I nodded.

"Got to get them looked at; weather like this, I feel like I'm coming to pieces," I grumbled.

I felt a brief and powerful jealousy of the French officers getting their repairs covered, which was quickly transmitted into frustration at myself for not going in and getting fixed up before I went in for my commission. Then I remembered I ought not be so hard on myself, and that got very close to dismissal, and…

I stopped. This was a cycle. I had to break the cycle. I had to do something to break it, to stop etching these toxic thoughts deeper and deeper into my circuits. Something positive.

"I need a break," I said. Miriam clapped her hands, and her eyes filled with proud excitement.

"She's learning! Miss, that's the smartest thing you've ever said! What would you like to do?" she asked. I'll admit her enthusiasm perked me up, before I got caught up on the next hurdle.

"I… don't really know. I'm not sure," I said. The only activity I could think of were dance halls, I knew of a few places in the city where machines of my persuasion frequented, but I was hardly in the mood for that. "I've not got a lot of experience… taking breaks."

"Hmm. I would ordinarily suggest a walk about the town to see what might catch your eye, but I can't recommend it so long as the weather remains this atrocious. The young Lord Antares has given our weather controllers quite the schedule."

"Why's he gone and done a thing like that?" I complained, and she chuckled.

"There's an upcoming guest for his Christmas party who is quite taken with winter. A girl he'd like to impress, as rumour has it," she said, laughing a little.

From what I remembered, Lord Antares was a tiny human child; younger than the Ensigns, if such a thing were possible. It seemed a bit much to impose on a whole city for what I could only presume was a childish crush. But then again, courtship was extremely important for humans.

"Right. So something indoors, on short notice… a gaming club, perhaps?" Miriam suggested.

"I haven't exactly got the spare coin for gambling-" I started, and she shook her head.

"No, not gambling. Games of skill, no money at stake. Backgammon, hare games, conspirateurs, agon…" she listed, clearly thinking a moment as she went.

"Chess?" I asked. "I play chess against some of the officer's in the mess, and-"

"We can't play chess, miss," Miriam said, looking at me aghast.

"Why not? Is there a rule?" I asked, "I'm quite good at it, you know, I've won every game I've-"

"... oh stars, you don't know?" Her tone of one of complete exasperation. "No, miss, we can't play chess because chess-playing was used as a benchmark when we were first designed. The game's solved; we're all as good as one can possibly be at it. We'll always beat a human, and if two machines play chess, it's always a draw."

"... oh," I felt rather guilty, not to mention a bit sour at having my victories invalidated. "That would explain why it was so easy; I felt like I knew what he'd do before he'd done it…"

"In a matter of speaking, you did," Miriam said plainly. "That said, there are chess variations we haven't got solved, and a lot of gaming clubs have those."

"Alright. That does sound nice." I said. "If it's alright, I think I'd like to change into civvies, then. I'm not particularly feeling like going about as Lieutenant Fusilier right now."

"Completely understandable, Miss, and very adaptive. If I can suggest the light blue dress, I'll be up in a moment to help you with the ties," Miriam said, disappearing around the corner toward the servant's area, presumably to get directions to the club.

I made my way up the stairs and pushed open the frankly ludicrous closet adjoining my room, and hanging neatly within were five outfits. My well-worn sergeant's uniform, for old time's sake, my second-hand brown dress, which Miriam said I ought to keep in case I took up painting, and four new dresses. I was ill-suited for dresses, but they had their utility. My uniform got me treated differently in a way I was fairly self-conscious of, especially once they realized I was that Lieutenant Fusilier. In a dress, I could be anonymous.

The process of getting the dresses had impressed on me the differences between machine fashion and human. At Miriam's direction, I'd gotten two cheaper dresses in the machine style, all thick heavy fabric and volume, and one more along human lines. I understood the logic; there might well be a formal occasion where a military uniform would be inappropriate, such as if I ever got posted with Americans.

Still, it was by far the worst of the dresses. Human fashion showed skin; the arms were bare, and if the collar was any deeper you could see that I didn't have anything to see. The fabric was so sheer that you could see the edges of my armour plating, as if to call attention to the fact it wasn't made with my body in mind, and the in-season pastel colours looked wrong contrasted against steel.

Thankfully, the light blue dress was in a machine style. Heavy fabrics, long sleeves. Not my preference, but better than the alternative. Miriam hummed happily to herself while she did up the ties, and I just tried not to look too uncomfortable in the mirror.

Stars, I wish I could wear trousers everywhere.

I got my coat back with directions from Miriam and stepped back out into the cold, debating with myself if I should walk or take advantage of the relatively cheap service of the base's carriage park. I very nearly walked into the Miles coming around the edge of the fence at the end of the path, and we both went slipping a moment on the icy ground. I got the worst of it by far, crashing rather heavily to the ground and cracking quite a bit of ice in the process.

"Fusie! I was just coming to see you!" he said, extending a hand to help me up automatically. Equally unthinkingly, I took it, and we had a brief awkward moment before I managed to get myself to my feet. "Thought you were spending time with the mechanical frogs, then I saw you slink off-"

"Yes, I'm taking a bit of a break," I said, feeling a bit embarrassed. "I was just heading out to a gaming club, take my mind off things."

"Oh, capital! Can I come along?" he asked. "Henry's off with his missus-to-be and all, haven't anything else to do."

"Well… it's a machine club, as I understand-" I began, but he cut me off.

"Perfect then, you can smuggle me in. It can be a nice reversal of the officer's mess," he said, laughing. "If you're alright with that."

"Of course." I couldn't determine what would possibly interest him, but...

"Maybe they'll have chess; I still have to get you back for the last few times you've thrashed me," he added, and I winced inwardly.

"Y-yes, you do…"

The gaming hall Miriam had directed me to was a cosy little space, somewhat smaller than I'd expected. I'd pictured something more like a dance hall. The machine at the desk up front, where we'd buy admission, paused for a moment on seeing Miles.

"Sorry, sir, are you lost?" he asked, and Miles smiled and shook his head.

"Not at all, just accompanying my friend," he replied, and the machine shrugged and went back to reading whatever he was reading. We paid and shed our hats and coats at the door, grateful for the heater nearby to warm them while we wanted.

"Oh no, that's not right," Miles said.

"Hmm?" I looked over to see him looking at me funny.

"Never seen you in a dress, Fusie," he said, shaking his head. "I honestly thought the uniform was welded on."

"Not anymore," I responded, chuckling. "Thanks to liberal use of a prybar. No, I just wanted to, um..."

"You just want be Dora for a bit. I get it," he said, pulling a flask from his belt and nodding. "Right, so what's the minimum buy-in for machine games, a penny?"

"It's not a gambling hall. Games of skill," I said, and he frowned.

"Well, that's not fair," he remarked. "Favours the fellow who's good at it."

Unsure exactly of the protocol, we decided to hover about the edge and watch games for a bit, and it seemed machines just set up the games they wanted to play and waited for other players to file in. I selected a game at random off the shelf and sat down. Miles sat opposite of me, grinning.

"What've we got here?" he asked, and I shrugged as I opened the box.

"Not a clue, I didn't even look," I said, flipping the cover of the board over. "Waterloo, a game of strategy. Up our alley, isn't it?"

"It means one of us has to play the French, though," he said, and instantly I reached over and started grabbing blue pieces. "Well, that makes that easy."

We laid out the setup and started reading the instructions, laying out the green grid field we'd play on. Our 'units' were clever little red and blue pieces; cubes, pyramids, and arches, representing infantry, artillery, and calvary. They all stuck to the grid with a satisfying clunk. Every time we advanced the turn, they'd across the board on little magnets to perform the last order we gave them, which were limited to simple acts like turning, stopping, moving, and forming square. The set was well-worn but in good condition, though there were a few dead pixels on the edge nearest me.

We cycled the board through a few of the scenarios before deciding on the Battle of Talavera, if simply because the previous board was La Haye Sainte and all the terrain and buildings were somewhat intimidating. Miles was muttering as he placed his troops, carefully nudging them into proper position.

"Right, so this little cube is 24th Foot, and this little cube is 5th Line of the German Legion, which I guess makes this lot the South Es-"

"Who goes first?" I asked, and he grabbed for the instruction booklet and started fingering through, staring.

"Attackers. That's me," he said, dropping his last troops in place. "Right. My go."

Miles started tapping his pieces, cycling the little holograms above them to orders, and then pressed the red 'end turn' space at the edge of the board. Accompanied by little sounds of marching feet and the rolling thunder of a phantom cannon barrage, the pieces started sliding forward. Amid the dancing motes of light for smoke and shot, one of the cubes in the centre of my line grew darker and greyer, as though the colour was being sucked out of it.

"Neat. Your turn, Fusie. Try to keep hold of the eagle this time."

"Those bloody eagles," I complained, setting my troops on the assault. Struggling to remember the particulars of how the French lost Talavera, I concentrated a force on one flank, directing my cannon fire and shuffling a few of my columns to the side. Maybe I could open a hole for my horse. "My main hope in all this is they don't saddle us with a screen in our line companies too. I don't think I could stand it. Firepower, that's the key; it always has been."

"I agree. I think that fire section scheme you dreamt up is solid," Miles agreed, as his turn began. "Though what if we had a third section dedicated to it? Have a tiny little battery of eight rapid-fire lasers at the edge of every company that can focus their fire together, and we could roast the central elements of assault groups."

"Sure, but if sections have to go off alone in dense terrain, it's going to be harder to move our support guns up," I said, "You might be onto something, though."

"Well, alright then, who says A and B section needs to be symmetrical? Take the guns out of A, give them to B, even out the count of machines. B's still got the bulk to stand up on their own, but A's now free to move full-speed." Miles mused.

"A and B section, assault and battery," I joked, and that got a real, genuine laugh out of him.

"Exactly! Also, I'm so very sorry." I winced as one of my cubes turned black as it walked directly into grapeshot. "Your turn."

"Seriously, you should bring that up at the next meeting," I suggested, and he waved a dismissive hand.

"I'm sure they've already shot holes in it. Can't be good; I thought of it," he responded.

"Miles, firstly, give yourself some credit, and second… I've been in the army thirty-three years, and I've known machines in for centuries," I explained, "They threw a fit integrating small-crew guns into infantry; they wanted them in their own regiments. Even if they've thought of it, it can't hurt to bring it up again."

"I'm telling you, we've been resting on our laurels since Napoleon, and it shows," he said, "You sure you want to make that move?"

"... yes?" I said, shifting my infantry up the flank, "I'm sure."

"Fair enough, on both counts," he said. I was started to notice some of the machines without games were looking at us a bit strangely: it seemed normal to watch other people's games, but they were a bit reticent with us. Probably because of Miles, who was noticing at the same time.

"Oh, come watch if you like!" he said, looking up from the game a moment, before muttering to me. "Rather have people staring where I can see them."

"Now you know how I feel all the time," I muttered.

"Not likely; everyone just gets all deferential whenever a human barges in, which I get. Gotta keep up appearances," he said, "I do feel a bit guilty coming in and spoiling everyone's fun, though…"

"You're not spoiling anyone's fun except mine," I muttered as my front two columns were roundly obliterated in a spray of holographic musket smoke. "I could really use that energy screen."

"I'll bet. And no, I just… should have thought of it. Places like this is where you lot go to get away from humans, right?"

"I don't know if that's true," I said, but then reconsidered. "Not always true, at least."

"Oh?"

"The machine officer club is that, I think. A place to get away from humans," I explained. Miles listened patiently while I filled him in oneverything that had happened; why I had left yesterday and not gone back today. He looked utterly bewildered.

"I must say, that seems rather… not just sad, but hypocritical of them," he said, looking distinctly uncomfortable. "Like, I think people are uptight about, well, a lot of things. But the fact they're willing to entertain a fling with a human but can't imagine being friends, or even disagreeing... "

He shivered in pure revulsion.

"It's not them being hypocrites," I replied. Seeing his confusion, I continued. "Well, I don't think they consider it hypocrisy, at least. If… if their humans don't see a problem with it, if it won't hurt their reputation, they can probably… I can see how they could justify… involvement…"

I'd done that calculus not long ago, even if I'd arrived at a different answer.

"You okay, Fusie?"

"Um, Miles, you've talked with them, or at least been around them. What do their officers think of the machines among them?"

"From what I've heard, the frogs are quite proud of them. Equality and brotherhood and whatever," Miles said, with his opinion of their assessment clear from his tone.

"That might be it then," I said, the pieces all fitting together. "The French have machine officers because their humans wanted them, wanted a sense that things were fair. So a few of their machines like me who feel they might be useful stand for elections, and the machines vote for them when they don't feel it'll deny a human a spot, right?"

"Right..?"

"But then they run into the same things I did. Going to the mess, attending events, servants, officer's quarters, repair bills, disagreeing with your newfound peers, making friends with your coworkers…" I trailed off, feeling overwhelmed. "It's hard."

"It's not just hard. It's something you're doing for yourself and not somebody else," Miles pointed out. "You lot aren't good at that."

"Yeah… so they formed a little club. Got out of the way. Stopped disagreeing, stopped attending the mess, stopped trying to make friends. They just filled a spot on the roster so the humans would feel things were fair," I concluded. "They started throwing knives."

Miles nodded in slow understanding, looking more than a little distraught. It seemed a relief to him when he remembered we were playing a game together. He ended his turn, and I watched as my advance utterly crumbled and white flags started popping up over my cubes. I still had some units left, but I couldn't possibly see a path to victory anymore.

"I think we should stick to chess," I muttered, and Miles plucked his pieces back.

"Fusie, this is funny, but you did exactly what the French did at the real thing." he said, laughing, "So next time, try thinking less like a frog. Want to go again?"

"I definitely want to avoid thinking like that," I said, and we started scrolling through the maps again. "How'd you know?"

"The Battle of Talavera? My father hired a very strict governess machine." Miles said, "I was bound for the Coldstream Guards, remember? I could draw you a map of any battle in the Peninsular War by memory."

"Wow," I said simply. Given how much Miles talked himself down, it was always shocking when he showed off how much he knew.

"All bloody useless, of course, and awful as well. The grass caught fire at Talavera from all the musket wadding and wounded men in the field burnt to death, but they don't exactly show that with the cubes," he said darkly, as we settled on Salamanca. "You be the Brits this time."

We set up and got started, and this time things seemed a little more even. Machines were crowded a little closer, and our conversation had somewhat dried up as we realized how many people were watching, conscious of how personal and controversial our topics tended to get. I very nearly had him near the end, but he managed to wheel a unit about just in time to put a volley into my flank, and my tiny cube-men broke a mere grid-square from victory.

"Still need to practice, I think."

Miles reset the board. This time, the Battle of the Nive.

"Well, I don't see why we can't do one more."

We played quite a bit more than one more, the games going quickly as we talked, rambling on about nothing. Finally, I won two in a row, as I started to get a hang of thinking about not merely achieving results, but forcing action out of my opponent. We then decided to move onto one of the days of Waterloo proper, and Miles roundly thrashed me as the French, citing the three centuries of analysis his governess had him reading about the battle as he rolled up my line.

As my last line of defences fell and he casually boxed in the retreating survivors, I pulled out my watch and looked with a start.

"Christ, Miles, it's quarter past nine. We should probably think about heading back."

"Has Miriam got you a curfew, then?" he said, and I stumbled a minute on that idea before responding.

"No, we just have an early day tomorrow. I'd like to be well-rested-" I stopped, seeing the look of disappointment on his face. "What?"

"Dora, this is the first time I've seen you do something that wasn't work-related since I've known you." he said, "And I'm halfway expecting you to say that Miriam convinced you that playing board games is an important part of an officer's development."

"... that does sound like me, doesn't it." I admitted, "What's your point?"

"My point is, what if instead of going home and getting a full night's recharging or whatever you do, you think like a human officer? Stay out a while longer and let tomorrow's Fusie handle it? Just for once?" he said, "Have you ever played billiards?"

"No? You know I haven't done things."

"My God, you'd love it," he said cheerfully. "It's got everything you like: taking careful aim and hitting things with sticks. I need something to eat, and I know a place with billard's tables and food. You game?"

"Sure, could do," I announced, starting to pack up the game. "Better than letting you starve to death, and I'm sure things will be alright."

"There we go! We'll get you having fun yet."

Last edited:
Standardization & The British Working Machine Company
Thinking back, I do wonder, do the Machines have different programming? Did someone in France look at all the little bits making Machines a perfectly humane workforce and decided to switch these up? Are all machines programmed with the same values or just very similar ones because they are all, in the end, made to work and fight for the society that created them and keeps creating them in that image?
The machines have a degree of ethical standardization because for a very long time they were all built by one company, whose current descendent (the Standardization Bureau) is effectively the central institution the Galactic Concert is built on. This bureau is basically a legal entity that carries on the original British Working Machine Company's tireless legal and sometimes extralegal work ensuring that everyone they licensed machine designs to copied it to the letter (the current Royal Machine Company is a crown corporation which is also descended of the British Working Machine Company, but just the manufacturing parts. Basically, their legal team became the UN.)

While machines can be quite different in specifics between cultures and individuals, all of them have the same baseline, um... scrupulous selfless drive to helpful productivity and human well-being. The reason the Concert runs so smoothly is that machines can count on that in one another: boxie Theo blindly trusting the people he stole medicine for stems from a vulgar understanding that if nothing else, he knows other machines are just trying to be helpful too. The places where it hitches up is where definitions of helpful don't quite match up.

Fashion
Miriam's use of the word "adaptive" here reminds me of one of my personal Universal Healthcare Fantasies: The one where mental health specialists talk to not just you but also your friends and family to teach them how to support you better.
Huh. I find it kind of interesting that there's a universal "machine" style. It makes sense that machine fashions would trend toward being a touch heavier than human styles, given that machines would both need sturdier clothing (since it's over metal, glass, or ceramic instead of skin) and want longer-lasting clothing (since rotating wardrobes are a bit of a waste), but I feel like different machine lineages would vary enough that they'd each develop their own fashions. Like, I can't imagine a Maria and a Theodora walking out onto the catwalk in anything like the same outfit!
More specifically, machine fashion is Victorian where human fashion is Regency. This reflects the fact that the humans are all running around Jane Austin-ing as in the early 19th century, but the robots maids are dressed in the black-and-white uniforms of the late 19th century.

This is even reflected in the uniforms of the support staff: while the officer and line uniforms are of Napoleonic vintage, Miriam and the clerks and stuff wear these simpler red-and-black outfits inspired by later Victorian age uniforms.

Chapter 6: Let Me Make It Simple
We made our way back out into the cold and shuffled along until we found a ski cab making its way up the dark street. We eagerly piled into the heated interior as the driver greeted us. Beckham named the club and the tracked horses roared to life, crunching over the snowy streets.

"So where's this place we're going, exactly?" I asked.

"It's just a social club, nice little spot," he said. "Branch of the Explorers Club, which I happen to be a member of."

"Aren't clubs like that usually expensive?" Beckham was in fairly dire straits by human standards. I couldn't imagine him paying the dues.

"Oh, normally. But I qualify for quite the discount, you see. I've broken the thousand-parsec line," he explained, grinning. "You have to have travelled a thousand parsecs beyond any human-inhabited system, and my first deployment just happened to be far into the core guarding some expedition or another. Dreadful place, insects the size of your head."

"Pleasant. I'd qualify too in that case, though I have a feeling they don't let machines in."

"I doubt they have an explicit rule. But if they do, you'd be the exception," he said, "You're an officer, that more or less makes you a proper lady already. In any case, I doubt anyone will blink if I take you in as a guest."

The cab slid to a halt in front of an elegant-looking marble-fronted building, the architecture just vaguely visible in the holographic flame of the streetlamp. Miles insistently paid the driver and then brought me to the doors. He opened them with a cool confidence I was not feeling. The officer's mess was enough all on its own, but this was a proper human social club. The only machines I knew who went into places like this were the employees and the personal servants of the members.

Inside, we were greeted by a machine behind a small desk, who Beckham waved at with some familiarity. After a moment, I realized it was an Andrew, the male counterpart to the Abigails. They were much less common for some reason; I couldn't even remember the last time I'd seen one. Housemaids were everywhere, but Andrews were so rare I wasn't sure what their job was called. Footmen, I think?

"Sir? Are you a member?" the machine asked, as Miles pulled the scarf from his face.

"Sorry Andy, it's bloody cold out," he said. Andy relaxed, marking something down in his ledger.

"Of course, Mister Beckham," he said, then he turned to me. "Um, excuse me, will you be waiting for him? Normally we prefer machines not enter through the front doors…" I felt myself go cold, freezing in place with my coat half-off. Miles, however, stepped up and leaned casually against the desk.

"She's my guest, Andy. That's Lieutenant Fusilier, you understand," he said, and Andy looked me over again as if on further inspection I'd turn out to have skin. "If she's proper enough for the Army, I think she's proper enough for the club, don't you?"

"–I'm not sure. I think I'll need to talk to Mr. Thorebourne…" Andy responded, clearly out of his depths. "If you'll give me a second…"

"Of course, go. I'll hold down the fort." Miles said, and Andy scampered off. Unsure what to do, I kept my coat on, feeling quite embarrassed.

"Miles, I can go and wait. It's alright–" I started, and he shook his head.

"Nonsense, Fusie! I'm not going to get pushed around by some machine with a ledger." he said, "Like hell I'm leaving you out in the cold. I know for a fact I can't drag you home if you freeze up."

"... well, thank you," I said, staring at the plush carpet with considerable embarrassment. A moment later, Andy returned and beckoned us through. He took our coats, still looking a little uncertain, as we pushed in through the second doors.

"Besides, you should see the drinks! The sorts this club caters to like to travel, so they have quite the selection. Relax, will you?"

I was having quite a bit of difficulty doing so; I felt utterly overwhelmed. We were entering what was clearly some kind of common room, Miles greeting everyone he passed through. Every detail of the place made me feel like I was trespassing; the sheer richness of the alien wood flooring underfoot to the fine animated wallpaper.

Nearly every inch of the walls was covered in paintings, holocaptures, sketches from distant worlds, and artefacts. Above the fireplace was an alien weapon of a style I couldn't recognize, crossed over a chemical firearm from last century with a large notch taken out of it.

The large chandelier hanging over everything built out of the components of a 20th-century chemical rocket suspended in a sort of exploded view, holographic flames dancing through the working parts.

Miles had a short conversation with another Andrew, and we were led deeper into the building and up to the second story. Even these halls were lined with artefacts and picture frames, gilded and gem-encrusted, a density of wealth and experience that utterly humbled the officer's mess.

We arrived at a small sitting room with a billiards table, a fireplace, and a big window looking out down the dark street. The housemaid inside shuffled past us quickly like she was afraid I might attack her, very deliberately not looking at me. Paying her no mind, Miles threw himself into one of the overstuffed chairs with a grin.

"So, do you like the place?"

"It's a lot. This is a place for adventurers and the like?" I asked, and he chuckled.

"Got it in one. Nutters, every one of them. At least when I leave civilized space, I do it with two-score metal bastards to hide behind," he joked. I almost jumped as a machine came by with a tray, delivering a drink, and Miles muttered something to him before he disappeared the same way. "But it's the only place I can afford, and a few of them have good stories."

"I see."

Miles poured himself a bit of the booze and leaned back to adjust something on the wall; some light music started a moment later. I cautiously took a seat opposite him, worried that I'd damage the furniture, and started looking for something to do.

"So, any idea when we're supposed to get our damned replacements?" Miles asked idly, swirling his drink carefully. "Not too worried about us, but I think it's starting to get to poor Percy."

"I can imagine," I said quietly. Lieutenant Ellsworth 3rd Section A Company had been first to break through the stalker line at llomia J3H, and had been rewarded with a double blast of point-blank grapeshot from the enemy cannons just behind the lines. Seeing the half-strength section lined up next to all the others for inspection every morning was sobering. "I've not heard anything, no. I'd have expected us to have at least received our first wave by now. By a month ago, for that matter."

"I'm sure somebody's on it, but it's disheartening," Miles said. "It sure does take a while to build a Fusilier, doesn't it?"

"Eighteen months from start to finish is what they used to tell me when I was a boxie. Sergeant Theo would remind us every time we did something daft. 'Don' you know how long it'd take to replace you! Don't you know how expensive you were?!'"

"Probably takes even longer now, all the new tech," Miles speculated.

"Oh, certainly. Armour forging alone takes an age." I wasn't sure about the details, but the metal that we were made of was special; denser and tougher than anything else we knew of. We'd boast that the ingots were tempered by dipping them into the heart of a star, but I suspected that was poetic license. It was certainly priced like it was true, though!

"Pays off. They build a damn fine officer," he said cheekily.

"Miles!"

"I am compelled to tell the truth in this and only this instance," he insisted.

"Sure you are!" I retorted, though I felt strangely assured by the compliment. "Stars, I can't believe I used to think you hated me."

"Well, I was a right prick at the time," he admitted. "Still am, of course."

"Honestly, it's grown on me," I admitted, feeling a happy buzz that wasn't just the music. "It's better I laugh at some of this stuff than just wallow, you know?"

"I know exactly," he said, "Finally, somebody who gets it. Other than Henry."

"... I still can't believe he's getting married," I admitted, "To somebody other than you, I mean, given I don't think I've ever seen him without you nearby!"

"Oh stars, you'll laugh, but I had the biggest crush on him when we first met. God, we were… fourteen? It's absurd to even think about now, of course. Obviously couldn't work out that way, though, neither of us are much into men, though to each their own."

"... wait, hang on," I said, putting it together in my head, "Is–he's received sex?"

"Wha… Yes, Dora, he jokes about it all the time!" Miles exclaimed, utterly dumbstruck. "They really must make you dense!"

"I don't like speculating about such things!" I responded, mortified at my own stupidity. In retrospect, Miles was absolutely correct; he did make strange jokes that suddenly made a lot more sense. "Still, that must have been odd."

"Very much, yes. Our families are close; we'd meet every year around the holidays, so one year he just shows up completely transformed. I hadn't a clue at first; I thought he might be a family cousin. Could have told me in a letter, but he wanted to see the look on my face."

"That's incredible."

"Yeah, we've been fast friends since. Hell, he's how I ended up in the 7th. When I told him I was quitting the Guard, he told me about the vacancy with the 9th Company and even put in a good word to old Harrison," Miles concluded. "How I ended up here."

"Well, I'm glad he did. I don't think I'd have lasted as long as I did without you," I admitted, and he looked so touched.

"Well, you know, you're a delicate little thing; somebody's got to take care of you," he said, blushing, and we both burst out laughing. Stars, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun or felt so at ease with somebody. Perhaps only with Beatrice...

… oh.

"Miles. Sudden, very stupid question. You know how I'm bad at realizing obvious things?"

"You're just figuring that out now?" he said, hiding his smile behind a napkin. "But, yes. Very."

"Is this a date?"

The thing about human faces is that they're much, much harder to read than machines. We have screens with big expressive eyes and obvious emotions all gathered in one place, but humans… his whole face contorted as he went through a range of emotions. After a moment, he poured a very generous helping from his bottle, knocking it back in one long glup before looking me dead in the eyes.

"That had not been the intention." he said, looking like he was having an equally difficult time reading my expression, "Do you want–"

"Stars, no!" I protested. "You're human! And a man!"

"That's what I figured; you'd just thrown me a moment," he said, laughing a bit incredulously. "Had me a bit confused, wasn't sure myself all of a sudden. You alright?"

"I am, sorry, just…" I took a moment to try and articulate what had prompted the question, turning it over in my head. To distract myself, I tried to look out the window, but the glare of the streetlamp outside had just about turned it into a mirror. All I saw was myself, awkward in my dress, sitting across from Miles at the small table. "Just, a man and a woman dining alone together, this… this bloody dress, and… general loneliness, I suppose…"

"Fusie, you need to get laid," he said earnestly I nodded at his wise words.

"And atop all that, this whole thing has been sort of on my mind–"

"What, dating me?" he said, and I suddenly wished I had something small and light I could throw at him, my usual response to that particular brand of teasing.

"No, I mean, more generally. Entanglements," I explained, "But that's the French for you."

"Ahaha, yes, the French," he said, a bit stilted, pushing his glasses in place with a goofy smile. "But no, I can sort of see what you mean. This certainly feels somewhat date-adjacent. It's a bit of an unusual circumstance, isn't it?"

"What isn't with me?" I pointed out, and he shrugged.

"True enough. But no, I have no intention of denying the sapphic machines of this city their champion. Be inconsiderate of me, really." he said, "Course, now that you've pointed it out, I can't help but think the staff here are probably very confused themselves."

"Oh stars, I hadn't even considered that. We'll need to explain, then…" I started, and he waved a dismissive hand, pouring himself some more liquor.

"I wouldn't worry about it. They'll keep it to themselves. Would you like to play some billiards now?"

"Christ, yes."

Miles set up the table while explaining the rules, and we began playing, but now that the awkward question had been raised, everything about it was strange. Making eye contact across the table as we took our turns had a tension to it now, the contest given a new and rather unsettling energy. I honestly wasn't attracted to him, I'm nearly certain. But I had read enough novels and heard just enough talk that by this point, the circumstances felt… inherently romantic. As though there was some cultural compulsion to read an attraction into our outing that wasn't there.

"Nope, I can't do this. Things are too queer," I said, setting down the cue. "I'm sorry, this has been wonderful, but I can't unsee it now."

"No… no, you're absolutely right," he said, nodding thoughtfully. "I'll take you home; come on."

"... oh, why'd you phrase it that way?" I pointed out, and he buried his face in his hand, swearing quietly.

"I'm just going to shut up," he concluded, leaning against the window in utter defeat and possibly a degree of tipsiness. "We're so bad at this."

"We need some way out of this, or we're just going to keep digging ourselves deeper," I said. Miles fetched his liquor, swirling the bottle in his hand. Having apparently come to some sort of conclusion, he decided to just down it from the bottle.

"... I have an idea."

"Do tell?"

"I don't think I shall. Get your coat."

Miles left some coins on the table and we made a strategic withdrawal. He led me down the icy sidewalk about a block, the streets oddly deserted of pedestrians and traffic in the late night. The only people we passed closely were a pair of middle-aged women, clearly a bit intoxicated, being helped into a cab by their maids. In my own state, it was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing as Miles tipped his cap to them.

Finally, we ducked down a set of steps to a small door tucked away under a building. It didn't look like any sort of business, it didn't have a sign, but the door swung open for Miles as soon as he stepped now. We shuffling into a cosy, low-lit little room that looked for all the world like a small house tucked away under another, with a sitting room behind closed doors of frosted glass. I could just make out the shape of people on the other side and the lights of a few machine's eyes, and otherwise just a great deal of black and white.

"Is this another club?" I asked, but before Miles could answer, somebody else spoke.

"Mister Beckham! Been a while, hasn't it?" I turned to see a cute little clerk emerging from down the hall, looking absolutely stunning, and Miles leaned against the wall near her with a cocky grin. "They're not working you too hard at the base, are they?"

"Hardly have a moment to myself, Sadie." he joked, clearly familiar with her. "But I couldn't stay away."

"Course not. So who's your friend, then?" she asked, indicating to me. She seemed remarkably forward for a clerk; I was used to them being a rather timid lot. "She looks like hell. If you're looking for a job–"

"Sadie, come now. This is my friend Dora!" he explained. I simply waved nervously, utterly lost by this point. She looked at me sceptically.

"Now, Mister Beckham, this is a high-class establishment. Surely she can find some other venue which caters to..."

"That's Lieutenant Fusilier, you understand." he corrected. Sadie paused whatever she was going to say, before slowly nodding in understanding.

"Ah, I see. Well, you're welcome anytime then, Miss Fusilier. Go on in." she said, curtseying politely before leaning over and muttering to Miles. "You should have said something; she's a celebrity!"

"You didn't give me time!" Miles countered, "Say, is Penny working tonight?"

The two of them chatted happily on as I nervously made for the door. It clicked open, revealing a finely appointed little sitting room, with thick rugs and curtains, a roaring fireplace, and a stairway leading further down. A variety of machines sat on the various couches and chairs; all feminine, all devastatingly pretty, most wearing variations on the familiar black-and-white maid outfit that were consistently cut either too high, or too low, or both at once. Somehow.

All of them turned to look at me at once. Overwhelmed, I clicked the door shut and backed off.

"Miles is this a brothel?" I asked, the words tumbling out all at once.

"Well, yes," he said simply.

"Ah."

Well… he had certainly managed to end any impression that this was a date. It slowly dawned on me that Miles must have been here before; been here often enough that he was familiar with the staff, and he thought nothing of it. Moreover, as they were letting me in as an exception owing to my station, this was an establishment catering to humans. Which must mean there were other humans who frequented the place, enough to keep it running at any rate. And if that were the case, than surely it couldn't be the only establishment of its kind...

It's a rather strange feeling, having an already-tenuous pillar of your worldview be so thoroughly annihilated.

"I think I need to sit down," I managed, and Sadie laughed.

"There are chairs inside, dear." she reminded me. For lack of any other idea, I opened the door again and stepped inside.

"H–hello. Girls," I stammered, scanning the room. Now that the initial shock was over, it was replaced by a sense of absolute awe in the presence of all these beautiful machines. I swear, I was locked up for the better part of a minute, unable to muster anything but bashful stammering and desperate, failed attempts not to stare.

At the very least, I no longer felt any confusion whatsoever about my feelings. Stars, I liked girls.

"So who you supposed to be, then?" one of the machines, an Abby reclining on a nearby couch and oh Christ she had these delicate stockings and it was impossible not to follow them up and up to the edge of her skirt. There was some laughter around the room; utterly mortified, I snapped my eyes back forward.

"She's a fusilier, obviously," another added, "Who let her in?"

The woman nearest me, an unbelievably cute little Clerk with a pair of half-moon glasses, leaned around to peer out the door. She spotted Miles in his red jacket, then looked back to me.

"Say, are you that machine officer? The one who got lost?" she asked.

"That's… that's me," I replied. That got some attention.

"Sure you are. How does a machine like you end up an officer then?" the first maid asked mockingly, looking rather unimpressed.

"Come now, Anny, that's not nice!" somebody interjected as my mind raced for an answer. I normally had a comeback for that question, there was a list of them on my desk back at Number 18, but I was entirely too distracted to recall any.

"I–I… I'm a quarter-human on my mother's side," I explained, unsure if I'd used that one before. "You see…"

I was entirely too awkward for this. I had no earthly idea what the procedure might be, or God, how I was supposed to make a choice. Fortunately, I was rescued from my own idiocy. The machine who had spoken in my defence stood up in a graceful motion, giving me a look at her. She walked across the room toward me, eyes fixed, steps measured, hips swaying. I thought I was going to faint.

"Ignore her, Lieutenant," she said, her voice smooth, perfect, seductive. "You want to come with me?"

Without a single thought in my head, I nodded.

I followed her to the stairs and down, processors racing, keenly aware that the sound of my fans was likely very obvious. A Maria, she was a Maria, and she was tall and elegant and unbelievably beautiful, an angel in sculpted glass and gold. I was crushed under a lifetime of fantasies racing through my brain. Operating on autopilot, we passed through a hall with many doors and stepped into a little room with a bed and cushions and low lighting and what was happening? How was this my life?

"I could tell you were overwhelmed; new people usually are. We get very few women and never any machines, so I didn't want you getting discouraged trying girls not interested," she explained, pulling me into the room by the hand. "Besides, I didn't want to give any of them a chance to snatch you up before I could."

"Y-you what??" I said stupidly, and she laughed.

"What can I say, you're very much my type," she said smoothly, taking a seat on the bed and beckoning me closer. "Marilyn, by the way. What do you go by?"

"R-right, yes, um… Dora, usually," I said, taking a second to remember my own name. "Sorry, I'm kind of an idiot."

"Mmhm, no such talk, miss," she said sternly, reminding me very much of Miriam for a moment. Numbly, my hands found her sides, her hips, feeling the give in her thighs. They were made of soft silicone that looked exactly like the glass on the rest of her. She wrapped her arms around me, our foreheads touching as she leaned close, eyes intense.

Something was wrong.

"I... I can't do this," I said, pushing her hand away and shuffling back slightly on the bed. "I'm sorry, I'm not supposed to be here."

"What do you mean?" she asked, her voice still soft, gentle.

"Machines don't belong here, not like this." I fell silent a second, feeling my fans whirl at top speed, my whole body tense. "But they let me in, treated me like a human, even though humans aren't supposed to do this. I... I don't belong in so many ways."

I stood up, hating it but knowing I had no choice. Still, I was slow, reluctant, and found an excuse to delay as I reached into my purse.

"H–how much do I owe you?"

"Come now, we didn't do anything," she pointed out, looking at me with what I could only imagine was immense pity. "It's quite alright. But, if you'll forgive the presumption, you don't look like you want to leave?"

"I don't!" I declared. "God, I don't. This is like a dream, I just...."

She took my hand and, very gently, pulled me back. Slowly, I sank back down against the bed as she leaned against me.

"Then it's a dream. You don't have to be in a rush to wake up," she assured me. "And you belong wherever you want to be. How can I put you at ease?"

"H-how'd you end up here?" I asked, wondering the same thing about myself. She laughed, an intoxicating sound, undoing the button at my neck as she did.

"Well, I'm between misses right now, if you understand. Moving on after all that isn't easy, so I'm taking a few years off," she explained, her fingers moving down to the next button. Somewhere in the depths of my circuitry, I realized she meant that her last client had died, presumably of old age. Fortunately, it wasn't difficult to be distracted. "But without anything to do, I get restless, you know?"

"O–of course," I said, another of my buttons undone, her fingers running along my collarbone underneath. "Ooh… That makes sense…"

"I started as just a maid looking for extra work, as they say, but I'm in no rush to back where I belong. This is so very much fun," she explained, as another button fell and her hand slipped a little farther down my chest, hot against my chassis. "Any other questions, miss?"

"I… can I touch you?" I asked, drawing my hand close to her thigh, and she laughed again.

"Oh, please."

Slowly, I tracked my hand up her soft thigh to her hip, conscious that my fans sounded like a jet engine, and she sighed happily, encouragement. My nerves were giving way to n emboldened confidence and desire as I slipped my hand under her dress, feeling along her curves, eliciting a delighted gasp as my fingers found her breast.

I began to pull her dress off her, no longer able to delay, and she leaned back to make the process easier. Forgetting myself, I eagerly used the chance to push her back onto the bed, pinning back her wrists, drinking in the sight of her. Her white glass frame, reflecting the dancing candlelight, was decorated with a blue floral pattern along her shoulder and right arm. Her joints and seams were picked out in gold, finely detailed and etched. She was beautiful, a work of art, transfixing.

"You like the view?" she cooed, looking quite pleased, "You know, you're awful timid for a soldier."

"A–ah, well…" I began, stumbling over my words. "Things are complicated with me."

"Then stay. Let me make it simple."

Last edited:
assorted worldbuild questions!
Which space empire is the biggest space empire? Why did they bother?
It's probably really hard to quantify, and not a terribly useful number. Space in this universe is absolutely lousy with habitable planets, or planets which can be made habitable easily. Some families can straight up afford to terraform their own planets. The Concert incredibly widespread in very tiny pockets, able to pick and choose what resources they exploit from infinite possibilities, though not all the civilizations within it do the British estate planet or American homesteading thing, and I bet a lot of them concentrate more of their human population in cities so like... hard to tell beyond simply pointing to population figures, which likely puts the biggest more-or-less unified states as the Qing, the Indian confederation, the German Confederation, Russia, Japan, and the Ottomans in rough order.

In that case, are there any Concert-space analogues to the Victorian Great Exposition and the general technophilia of a lot of Victorians eager to see what strange contraption some inventor would present next?
Not so much? At this point, the technology behind the Concert forms a giant invisible infrastructure somewhat distant from the interactions of regular people. The age of enormous, revolutionary changes in technology which rapidly shifts conceptions of the possible is somewhat on hold for the moment: technology is advancing steadily but its mostly refinements and improvements on existing capabilities rather than enormous leaps.

Actually, on the topic of the Americans; it's been noted that they also do the Machine Officer thing; do they do it for the same reason as the French (IE performative equality) or do they have another motivation? Or is it the same motivation, but their officers have more gumption than to just sort of take that sort of thing?

Also, how does Space Canada look in this setting? Or is there even a Space Canada in this?
The United States is something I'll get into later, but the situation there is pretty wild and very much the farthest outlier in the Concert regarding the relationship between humans and machines, as Bea alluded to in Farthest Reaches.

There is no Space Canada, or Space Australia, meaningfully distinct from the British Empire here. You might run into families descendent of Canadian or Australian settlers, but they're just another flavour of British accent.

There is, however, a Space Nation of Quebec.

We know the Prussian and French Space Empires are in existence with their own space armies, and we also know that a big shift of the robot age seems to have been after the Napoleonic Wars. So what about Russia and Austria? Do they have their own space empires? What are they like? And besides the US, is there another non-European country that has a space empire?
The Russian Empire exists and is Large, while Austria and other German-speaking states under Habsburg control are today part of the nebulous German Confederation, which contains 39 of the 40 German states. Prussia left and there's a missing star on the flag because of it in the ultimate passive-aggressive guilt trip.

There's all kinds of space empires out there, though I don't feel fully confident defining a lot of the specifics given what a mess imperialism had already made of the maps by our PoD.

Have any machine models been discontinued? I get the impression that the designers have been pretty good at keeping designs general enough that they couldn't really become "obsolete", but that doesn't preclude experimental lines or outright engineering failures.

...Huh. Now that I think about it, are there any "experimental" machine builds? Is there a prototype Theodora Fusilier, First Of Her Name hanging around anywhere? If they do make experimental builds or prototypes, is it, like, hand-crafted tool-room prototypes to prove the high-level design, or do they do a ton of up-front engineering and then do production runs until they get it right?

Actually, machine brains can be transplanted, right? Is there an Adam hanging around the R&D labs that volunteers to get dropped into prototype bodies to make sure the mechanical bits all work before they start sending them out with uninitialized new-production brains?
There is one machine type that isn't made much anymore! For a while, sailor machines were incredibly common, and some cheeky fellow named them Jack Tar after the common nickname for British sailors. Well, sea trade isn't a huge thing anymore. The line was modified for space travel, from which we get our William Stars. Some of the old sailors crew spaceships now, some find niche work where boats are used, and some maintain some of the old ships that still crisscross Earth's oceans as part of its tourist trap slash museum planet vibe.

There are Firsts Of Their Name machines hanging around: somewhere in a factory someplace is the very first Adam Wright, quietly working and embarrassed whenever people ask him for autographs and interviews. Prototypes are hand-crafted, but there hasn't been an outright new machine type in about a hundred and fifty years: machines now have the physical and psychological flexibility to expand the definitions of their jobs as needed.

Machines 100% can swap their hardware between bodies, and they can also move to new processors too but that's a bit more of an involved process (machine psychology is hardware-dependent, they aren't just programs you can copy and upload).

There almost certainly are test pilots and that's adorable, but also there's a bit of a Ship of Thesus thing going on with robot bodies now, part of the whole technology in a stage of refinement thing. There's production generations in broader terms which cover major overhauls and new systems, but the differences are more incremental than revolutionary, with a machine a year later being just a slight tweak from a machine now, until thirty years down the line when we see the differences between a modern Fusilier and Dora. This is very helpful considering how much machines rebuild themselves.

Has anyone formed a new civilization? Like the Republic of Doug!
Spoilers!

That said, if there's one actual rule that the Concert will 100% use state violence to enforce, its that you don't split the product line. The nightmare scenario for everyone in the Concert is somebody diverging either humans or machines to the point where they are distinct enough to cause a civilizational fracture. This was controversial for a very long while, but nowadays the vast majority of people very much support this line of thinking owing to all of them having a lot of Stuff that would be on the line in the event of a huge political upheaval.

So, machines often switch jobs. What happens if a machine decides they want to be a soldier if they're not built for it (or really any job that required special construction)? Do they just rebuild you? Are there boot camps, uploaded or physical, for machines not built with fighting knowledge from the box? Or is it simply Not Done?

Does the Concert have any particular funeral rites for machines? Reusing parts from the wounded and dead seems like common procedure when necessary, but aside from that how are the remains of machines treated?
So there's really two levels of 'job' in the Concert for machines, and that will be a huge thing this book is going to explore. But in short, there's the 'official' jobs which have machines For Them, and the periphery jobs which are filled in by whatever type of machine feels inclined.

Like, machine authors exist, there's a literature by and for machines, but there's no Author Machine, there's machines like Beatrice who take up writing. There are some trends among these peripheral jobs, though, like, obviously a lot of the scientific by nerdy little Clerks! Another strong example is personal servants, that is to say James and Marias, being way overrepresented in the arts. A lot of them leave their jobs with a lot of stuff to work through, and honestly I'm willing to bet there's at least a few popular 'human' artists, writers, poets etc who are Pages under pseudonyms.

If a machine wants to take up a job that wasn't the one they are built for where a type exists, they'll probably work in the periphery of it for a while, and if they really end up enjoying it more they'll just... get the job. They might even change their names to match. Machines of different types are certainly psychologically predisposed toward certain kinds of work, but there's always variation.

Machines dying is a rare event, and outside of Fusiliers, military sailors, and maybe a handful of high-risk jobs, I don't think the Concert really understands how to deal with it. I imagine it'd vary a lot culture to culture though. I think the only part machines are likely to see as sacred are a machine's processors, which contain Who They Are, if you will. Everything else is just parts.

British Fusiliers have a ritual of auctioning off the personal belongings of the fallen for other machines as mementos, and then using the money to fund a ridiculous party. It's what they would have wanted!

What does mass media look like? Are there tv shows, radio periodicals, or is it all really fancy books and live action robot teleplay?

Did anyone build any artificial intelligences that were not robots? Alternatively, have they build any robots that are not intelligent (robot dogs?).

What is the largest and most modern ship in the Navy, and correspondingly, the oldest one?
Books, music, and the theatre are the big ones. There's theatre recordings as a form of media but it really is just a recording of a play, not a movie. Theatre is one of those periphery industries consisting of a mix of human and machine actors and is probably the part of British culture specifically where the two are in closest contact as peers... which means that actors are followed everywhere with salacious rumours.

I've actually got a scene about the theatre in my back pocket for a future story which'll be fun!

Other AI... Well, Spoilers! But um, one of the two big anti-machinists factions was the one that wanted to fork the machines into a version that was more, um... loyal. However, the smash-them-all faction was much bigger and more popular with regular people.

I'm not sure! I like the idea that the British have a few zeroth-rate super battleships executor-style. The ship we saw in the old Golden Eagle writeup was about as old as active ships get, with new ships not really being hugely different in terms of layout or basic functions but faster, better armoured, better protected, etc.

Excellent setting, I very much like it.

I've noticed that ground vehicles here tend to be "horses", or "horse"-drawn or propelled. Is that just a quirk of the setting, to make it more Regency-like? Or do they have some sort of a block on self-propelled vehicles? And has anyone built a "horseless" carriage? My money's on the Americans, personally.
Okay, you know how for five minutes cars were horseless carriages?

Instead, the terminology that caught on here was to refer to the engine of a car as its horse, which soon mutated into just calling any self-propelled vehicle a horse.

Back