Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Congratulations SV, you are Taylor's power! Or, more accurately, Taylor's power is to receive letters from you. One letter per day, that is. Of at most 100 words. But don't fret, you'll be able to buy upgrades to her power! Like more letters! And more words! Awesome, isn't it? No, you can't give her other abilities. Her power is letters, duh. But surely, with all your knowledge of the setting and future events, you can guide her safely to rescue her world! Right?
Salutatio

Salutatio

Taylor woke up to a headache. For a moment, she just lay there with her eyes closed, her thoughts slow and fuzzy. The bed she was lying in was comfy, and it took her a while to gather her thoughts enough to take any action. Eventually, she opened her eyes and blinked a few times, trying to take in her surroundings. While the room she was in was blurry without her glasses, it was definitely not her room. The room was painted white, with white furniture, tinted in an orange light by a low sun. The bed she was lying in was also white, and seemed to be a hospital bed.

She groggily grabbed around, trying to find her glasses. Somebody had been nice enough to place them within her reach, and she eventually found them on a side table next to the bed. She sat up and put them on, finally able to take in the room. Yes, definitely a hospital room. Looking down, she saw that she was dressed in a hospital gown. Her clothes were nowhere to be seen. Somebody must have undressed her, then, and put her in this robe. Her thoughts were sluggish. Why had that been needed? As far as she could tell, she was uninjured, apart from a few scraps and bruises. She tried to think back. Why was she in the hospital in the first place?

The locker. All at once, her memories returned, blowing away the fog that had been clouding her mind, as she remembered the events of that morning, the sight, the smell, the feeling of vomit and used tampons on her skin, the laughter of Emma and Sophia. How she had been locked in there forever, as she struggled in a panic, unable to move, with nobody coming to her aid, all those people who had been standing around and saw her getting locked into the filth, nobody lifting a finger or calling a school staff member. She clenched her fists, feeling bile rise at the back of her throat.

She suppressed the urge to vomit, swallowed, and took a deep breath. It failed to fully calm her, but it helped her control the panic rising up within her. She focused on her breathing, inhaling and exhaling slowly, until her emotions had quieted down somewhat.

She didn't fully remember what happened afterwards. She had a faint recollection of suddenly falling, and blinding light, before darkness took her. Most likely, when someone had eventually opened the locker, she had fallen out and fainted. That would also explain why she was in the hospital now. How long had she been out?

Looking around the room again, she noticed a clock above the door, showing about a quarter to eight. Given the sunlight shining in from outside, and the time of year, it had to be in the morning, which meant she had been unconscious for nearly a day. Assuming it was still January, of course. For all she knew, she had been unconscious for half a year – no wait, she still had bruises. January it was.

She let herself fall back onto the bed with a sigh. Looking up, she noticed a small sign above her bed. It was a simple piece of paper, pushed into a plastic display case attached to the wall. She had no trouble reading it, even upside down.

Last edited:
Mechanics
Congratulations SV, you are Taylor's power! Or, more accurately, Taylor's power is to receive letters from you. One letter per day, that is. Of at most 100 words. But don't fret, you'll be able to buy upgrades to her power! Like more letters! And more words! Awesome, isn't it? No, you can't give her other abilities. Her power is letters, duh. But surely, with all your knowledge of the setting and future events, you can guide her safely to rescue her world! Right?

So, how does this work?

There will be an update for each in-story day, covering the day from Taylor's perspective (or the perspective of another addressee). At the end of the day, you get to pick what to send her the next day, and what upgrades, if any, to buy. As write-in options are effectively obligatory for this, I'll use a vote-by-plan system. For at least the first 24 hours after an update, there is a voting moratorium, where people can discuss and propose plans. I'll then make a post with all the proposed plans, which are then voted on for at least another 24 hours. It is permissible to vote for multiple plans, but only one will get chosen in the end.

Plans should include the text of the letter(s), the options and abilities applied to each letter, and what to buy with your points (if anything). They should also have a name, so people can vote for them. Keep in mind that, depending on the level of Security, Thinker Protection and Taboo you have, others might be able to learn of the letters, either directly or via Taylor's actions. Bad Ends are very much a possibility.

Every day at least one letter is sent, you get a point. You can spend these points to buy upgrades (see here). Each upgrade can only be bought once, unless noted otherwise. Upgrades are split up into different categories. Upgrades must be bought from top to bottom in each category, unless the upgrade is marked with ⮁. The cost listed is the cost for this upgrade, not the total of it and all above. You can buy upgrades across categories in any order.

Omakes and temporary points

You are very welcome to write any omakes you like. Each omake will grant the author a temporary point, unless I feel people start abusing that by posting very short or low-effort omakes. If I declare an omake to be canon, in addition to the temporary point, the author also gets a normal, permanent point.

Temporary points can be spent to buy upgrades for one single day. They're gone afterwards, as though they had never been bought in the first place. Quite useful if you only need, say, a couple extra words, or want one of the Letter Forms for that particular letter...

FAQ
More questions? Ask away!

Is this set in canon or an AU?
I'm adhering to canon, to the best of my ability to discern and simulate it. I may or may not follow fanon, so long as it doesn't contradict canon.
Note that only Worm (and Glow-worm, I guess) is canon, not Ward (as I have yet to finish it).
How does letter delivery work?
The letter will appear out of thin air somewhere at the specified location, at some time within the given time frame, and bear the name of the addressee on the envelope. Beyond that, by default, anybody who finds it can pick it up, open it and read it. Or they could see the name on the envelope and hand it to addressee, unread or not. The letter isn't going to appear in some unreachable or hard-to-find place (unless you use the higher levels of Delivery Location to specify that), but it will not necessarily put itself in the path of the addressee.
Upgrades to Security allow you to enhance the letter's, well, security.

Note that the letter still needs to be aimed at the addressee. You couldn't, say, have a letter to Taylor drop on Piggot's desk, for example. Generally, the location needs to be one where the addressee might reasonably be expected to be at the time (home, school, work, etc.). It is, however, permissible to send a letter somewhere the addressee might find, even if it's more likely that someone else finds it first, provided, again, you're not aiming it at a specific person (so "anonymous letters at Winslow" is acceptable for Taylor, as is "strange letters at the PRT" if the addressee is a Ward, but you normally can't have letters to Taylor appear in Sophia's locker).

If you pick Post Delivery, you instead need to specify an address. If the address could be easily found in canon (such as in a phone book), you only need to specify the location unambiguously (so e.g. "The Dallon home" works). The address must be one valid for the addressee, so, like with the aiming rule above, you couldn't sent a letter with Taylor as the addressee to the Dallons.
The letter will then appear unnoticed amidst the other letters of the mailman as they are starting their deliveries for the day, and they will (presumably) deliver it normally.

Last edited:
Abilities
Gain one point per day if a letter is sent.
Letter Length
Up to 100 words.
An abbreviation counts as the number of words it represents, or its letters, whichever is fewer.
Letter Frequency
1/day
Delivery Location
Choose building.
See also "How does letter delivery work?" in the FAQ in the mechanics post.
Delivery Time
Choose hour
Post Delivery
Letter may be delivered normally by post, ignoring Delivery Location & Time.
Post Delivery letters come with proper address and stamps.
Addressees
Taylor Hebert
Thinker protection
Letters cannot be perceived or predicted with Thinker abilities before delivery (but can be afterwards). Can't be turned off.
Taboo
If a Thinker notices a discrepancy through a Thinking power (such as the sudden appearance of a letter out of nowhere), they will dismiss it. Can't be turned off.
Letter Form
By default, the letter is a plain white letter of normal size, with the text printed on it in black.
The envelope is likewise plain white and of normal size, with the name of the addressee on it (also printed, in black).

Last edited:
Upgrades
Font size reduced so the table fits.

Cost
Effect
Starting value
Bought
Gain one point per day if a letter is sent.
X
Can choose to send no letters on a given day and still get the basic point, plus an extra point.
No extra points gained if Taylor thinks/knows there'll be no letter(s). Extra points halved on each successive day.
Can be bought multiple times, cost doubles every time it is bought
Extra points are gained as long as no letter is delivered, whether SV chose to send a letter not.
Letter Length
+50 words letter length. An abbreviation counts as the number of words it represents, or its letters, whichever is fewer.
Can be bought multiple times, cost increases by -1 every second time it is bought
100 words
Letter Frequency
Send an additional letter per day (an additional letter "slot")
Can be bought multiple times, cost doubles every time it is bought
1/day
?????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????, ??????????????????????????????????, ?????????????????????????????????????.
??????????????????????, ?????????????????????????????????. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????.
???????????????????. ?????????????????????????????????????????????? 7 days.
???????????????????????????.
????????????????????????????.
Delivery Location
Choose building
X
Choose room
Choose part of room (e.g. desk)
Arbitrary location
Delivery Time
Hour
X
Minute
Second
Arbitrarily precise
Post Delivery
Letter may be delivered normally by post, ignoring Delivery Location & Time
Post Delivery letters come with proper address and stamps
X
Letter may be delivered normally by post as "express mail", at Delivery Location & Time (both up to penultimate level)
Letters and delivery personnal are protected from interference until delivery.
Addressee
Add a new addressee
Can be bought multiple times, cost increases by -1 every time it is bought
Taylor Hebert
Security
None. Using security upgrades is always optional.
X
Only addressee can open letter. While unopened, its contents are imperceptible, both mundanely and by Thinkers
Others ignore letter unless addressee draws attention to it
Others cannot perceive letter while unopened
Others cannot perceive letter
Thinker protection
Letters cannot be perceived or predicted with Thinker abilities before delivery (but can be afterwards).
Using thinker protection upgrades is always optional. The base version is not.
X
Letters cannot be perceived or predicted with Thinker abilities before opening
Letters cannot be perceived or predicted with Thinker abilities, but their effects (e.g. addressee actions) can
The recipient of a letter is a Thinker blindspot for 12 hours after receiving a letter
Taboo
If a Thinker notices a discrepancy through a Thinking power (such as the sudden appearance of a letter out of nowhere), they will dismiss it.
Using taboo upgrades is always optional. The base version is not.
X
If someone notices a discrepancy (such as the sudden appearance of a letter out of nowhere), they will dismiss it.
Letter Form
Add a new color theme for letter and/or envelope (default:blank/white). Can freely switch between themes (incl. none, max. one).
Can be bought multiple times
Add a new header (max. 40 words). Can freely switch between headers (incl. none, max. one).
Add a new signature (max. 40 words). Can freely switch between signatures (incl. none, max. one).
Add a new note (or address) on the outside of the envelope (max. 40 words). Can freely switch between notes (incl. none, max. one).
Conditional Letters
A letter may be chosen to be conditional, in addition to normal specifications. It will only be delivered if the specified condition(s) are fulfilled.
Conditions are evaluated according to the combined knowledge of all addressees.
Mistaken beliefs by addressees can lead to faulty evaluation.
More conditional letters may be specified than there are slots left. As conditions become fulfilled, letters are sent until slots are exhausted.

So, anyone know what we start with?

If we go with a random "Get Well Soon" card Taylor might get pissed thinking it's probably another prank or something.

I'm thinking we should wait until after we leave the hospital to reveal to Taylor about us being her power, PRT might be watching to see if she triggered, so probably best to seem as little suspicious as possible.

The first letter

Hello Taylor

It has been made aware to us, your current life state, after a brief investigation, we have decided to not let it continue, so we have decided to assist you in getting retribution for what has been done to you.
So we will provide you with information of one of the 3 main perpetrators of your current condition.

Just write the name of such in the reverse of this letter and burn it.

We hope you get a better life.

Signed: The Reunion

How about this for a first letter? this way she can answer to test and also claim that she thinks it is a prank, add the fact that people just dismiss our letters and it is perfect, she can even recieve it in the hospital

I don't see the point in giving information on the trio. I mean what is that going to accomplish? Taylor can run up to the PRT and expose Sophia, but then she'll probably have to explain how she got that info in the first place. And who's going to trust a random letter? Still, I can't think of anything else to write as a letter. Maybe we can guide Taylor down the path of an info broker by providing her with the info? Idk. Luckily, we have time to discuss this before we have to vote.

Good name, but hear me out. Signed: The Council Of Super Good Advice

The first letter

Hello Taylor

It has been made aware to us, your current life state, after a brief investigation, we have decided to not let it continue, so we have decided to assist you in getting retribution for what has been done to you.
So we will provide you with information of one of the 3 main perpetrators of your current condition.

Just write the name of such in the reverse of this letter and burn it.

We hope you get a better life.

Signed: The Reunion

How about this for a first letter? this way she can answer to test and also claim that she thinks it is a prank, add the fact that people just dismiss our letters and it is perfect, she can even recieve it in the hospital

Not a bad start, but where is Taylor going to get a lighter in a hospital? And do we have a security perk already for people dismissing the letter?

Nah, I say we go all out with Signed: Sufficient Velocity

Also, imagine the Chaos we could unleash upon the bay if we get Greg Veder as an address.

As SV's local Uber&Leet Fanboy. I prepose we longterm seek them out, their a group not too well connected or regarded to any of the big players in Brockton Bay, meaning there's a much lower hoop to get in with them and with none of the dangers of Undersiders being Coil pawns. Plus can most easily benefit from our meddling and we can easily prove our presences benefit while subverting them to be more competent and hero Aligned while making them loyal us, their gamer girl oracle of Delphi by making their ratings and success rate shoot through the roof!

A concept Iv always loved is using Ubers skill rotation to infiltrate villainous tinkers lairs and replace their tech with diguised Leet Tech, causing their stuff to blow up in their face while out in the field or building, discrediting them. Cause if there's one skill of Leets that never degrades, its copying a look.

I don't see the point in giving information on the trio. I mean what is that going to accomplish? Taylor can run up to the PRT and expose Sophia, but then she'll probably have to explain how she got that info in the first place. And who's going to trust a random letter? Still, I can't think of anything else to write as a letter. Maybe we can guide Taylor down the path of an info broker by providing her with the info? Idk. Luckily, we have time to discuss this before we have to vote.

I also agree with this. Especially the name "The Council Of Super Good Advice"

Also IronBig21's idea, imagine the double bluff chaos we can cause by having Void_Cowboy say correct things on PHO!

Last edited:
I don't see the point in giving information on the trio. I mean what is that going to accomplish?

We just give information, right now we need to earn her trust, so info that she can use or verify were my first thoughts

Nah, I say we go all out with Signed: Sufficient Velocity
I like this.

As for the letter, if you don't like/disagree with my proposal propose something, voting is not open yet, but we can talk or propose letters for when it is opened

Also IronBig21's idea, imagine the double bluff chaos we can cause by having Void_Cowboy say correct things on PHO!

Can you imagine how much of a headache we could cause Dragon when Piggot forces her to start cataloguing everything he types due to the off chance that even one sentence of his shitposts are actually true/prophecies come true.

Now hear me out, another idea: we get Jack Slash, and convince him to try exposing Cauldron to the public, and thus forcing Contessa to kill him.

Or for a more mundane idea: get Pan Pan to befriend Taylor and hopefully stop her from going insane.

As i said things she can use anf/or verify. She may make bad decisions, but we may help her out of them later. even if she goes to the PRT right after the first letter, what will she say?

A Letter revealing that one of my tormentors is Shadow Stalker was delivered to me?

That would rise flags ye, but not on Taylor, t least not beyond she recieved help from a thinker, and that is streching it.

Right now, so long as we pretend to be someone in Earth Bet concerned bout her, Taylor will be safe.

Also for the dismissing our letters check abilities, the thinker protection and Taboo, with the overreliant nature of the PRT on thinkers, we should be safe, except from Armsmaster lie detector, we should warn Tay about that

Also for the dismissing our letters check abilities, the thinker protection and Taboo, with the overreliant nature of the PRT on thinkers, we should be safe, except from Armsmaster lie detector, we should warn Tay about that
I really dislike the idea of being anywhere near the PRT's notice at the start. Best we lay low and do some mostly mundane things she can verify/use to improve her life. Hell, Id even recommend poisoning the well against the PRT using Shadow Stalker due to my own paranoia regarding them, moreso them also keeping an eye on Taylor who'd be unprotected by the unwritten rules and maybe even start influencing her.

Okay, you raise a good point, still paranoid about the off chance of either a PRT spook or even a Coil goon catching us or some shit, but hopefully things work out.

One thing we could maybe start off with is by advising Taylor to open up to her Dad, maybe convince her that staying at Winslow isn't worth it. Just try to get her in a better state of mind overall maybe.

We cn do that, but i rather have Taylor safe from the trio first, the PRT is bad, but not an active danger to Taylor like the trio, the gangs won't have a lot of interest in Taylor beyonf the possible thinker friend.

Coil would attempt to kidnap her in "fake timelines" for info but since she knows nothing would eventually lose interest in her.

In a side note, sending a letter to Piggot telling her about Coil his bunker and how all her problems are due to him, is a plus in my eyes.

A final note, i would like to learn about the PRT of this story before we position Taylor With, against or any other stance on the matter

Coil would attempt to kidnap her in "fake timelines" for info but since she knows nothing would eventually lose interest in her.
That brings up a good point. Wouldnt any interaction with the PRT carry the small (But still there) risk of Coil noticing us? Possibly the biggest threat of us getting a bad end at this stage.

Also, wouldn't that just make us a possible loose end for Coil of a normal girl with Thinker support/leverage and or hostage on the girls mysterious thinker/information broker friend.

Last edited:
Yes, but as i said, right now Taylor knows nothing, so even if she gets Coil attention, he would lose it rapidly, maybe keep an eye on her trying to find the thinker friend.

That is why i want Piggot as a possible adress, or Armsmaster or Assault. one of these 3 should be able to get rid of Coil.

But we are going off tangent, what should the first letter contents be? propose something to be discussed.

Yes, but as i said, right now Taylor knows nothing, so even if she gets Coil attention, he would lose it rapidly, maybe keep an eye on her trying to find the thinker friend.

That is why i want Piggot as a possible adress, or Armsmaster or Assault. one of these 3 should be able to get rid of Coil.

But we are going off tangent, what should the first letter contents be? propose something to be discussed.
Good points . . . Ill agree with your proposed letter. Ill give extra support if its signed as "Sufficient Velocity" or "The Council of Super Good Advice"

Anyone know when Mouse Protector gets caught by Slaughterhouse 9?

If we have time, some time in the near future we should get Taylor or someone else to contact Dragon (anonymously of course) and warn her about it. Since Dragon is Dragon she could hopefully get Mouse Protector moved before the 9 get her (this would screw over the 9's arrival Post-Leviathan, as Bonesaw wouldn't have anything to attack Panacea with).

Back