Knight of the Night (Worm/Kirby)

As I already said, Dark Sophia is a being made of dark matteria, maybe she can be separated from Dark Matter but she will either die or remain a being made of Dark Materia, if weaker, she is not going back to being human cause she is not possessed.

Last edited:
Chapter 42
Weirdly, Mom came inside with Thalia and said hello to me like nothing was wrong. Well, it wasn't that weird from her perspective, but after the day I'd had I would have expected something else to jump out at me right now. Instead, we just exchanged a few words before she went off to put her work stuff away, and I patted my little sister on the head before taking her to the living room.

The next few hours passed in what I could only call a haze, time slipping away as I just waited. Nothing really happened, I sat around until it was time for dinner, and once I'd eaten I made my excuse and was off. If I was going to follow my clone's advice and change after this was over, I'd probably have to start with my immediate family, but it could wait until things were safely wrapped up. And possibly after I'd had a decade or so of sleep to get the exhaustion of riding the knife's edge for the past couple of weeks out of my system.

I had a lot of things to do, and not a ton of time to do them in, so I had to be efficient. Step one, get changed into costume. During this step, I was reminded that I'd been so absorbed by planning on how to get my other self to cooperate that I'd left an entire company of Meta-Knights behind at Coil's base. I really was just that tired out by this whole thing, I supposed. So I moved from my room on the Halberd back out to the mustering yard where I'd taken them from, shifted worlds back to my room, grabbed my Ripple Star medal from its place in a drawer, and flew off into the evening, going practically straight for the base.

As it turned out, they'd settled in well enough, at some point bringing forth a cauldron and some wood to start cooking up meals for the entire unit. The chef looked tired himself, but fairly satisfied, standing next to a tall pile of dirty plates that had been picked clean.

"Right, sorry," I said mostly on instinct before clapping my hands twice. "I'm here now! Everyone, fall in, you're heading home! And… Thank you for your help today. Not sure how to say it exactly, but you've just helped a lot of people by doing this." It was a short few minutes to bring them and their detritus back over to the Other World, and then it was time for step two, actually going to Ripple Star. It was as simple as holding my medal-crystal and willing it to open the way. It locked onto the true Crystal easily, and tore open a hole in space. Ripple Star still looked weird to me, even after all this time. The planet was literally heart-shaped, and had a face on it, as well as being surrounded by smaller hearts and some ribbons. Although I supposed that the planet I was standing on right now literally looked like a chubby star, so I shouldn't act surprised about it.

I hopped through and deftly landed on the planet's surface, the portal closing behind me. It hadn't changed a bit over the last four years. Same strange slightly-floating castle, same clouds that made perfect hearts and hollow circles, and as I took off my mask to take in the feel I smelled that same smell of Flower. Not any specific kind of flower, just something that registered as Flower.

I took it back, this planet was weird even by the standards of the Other World, and I wasn't gonna pretend otherwise. It was refreshingly cute, though, so I couldn't complain. It was just connected to some pretty good memories, and it was also… nice. It was just nice to stand on. It was kind of hard to explain actually, but it just had a general atmosphere that nothing would go wrong. Not that it was true, the last time I was here was in the aftermath of something going extremely wrong, but the feeling was good all the same.

Part of it was the inhabitants. The pint-sized fairies were around Kirby's height, meaning they were half as tall as me, maybe a bit less. Plus, they had a lot less volume, even counting the translucent pair of wings, since they were roughly human child shaped rather than big orbs of mass. They flitted around mostly without a care in the world through the open air. Of course, I wasn't here to see them again, for all it was nice.

I pulled my armored hood down as I clamped my mask to my side, and simply walked over to one that happened to be near the ground. "Excuse me?" I asked. "I need to talk to the Queen. It's very important." That's all I needed to say to get a response, since the fairy quickly nodded before flying away. Some others nearby hovered hesitantly around me, keeping a respectable distance but looking on curiously as I walked over to the fountain in the outer courtyard and sat down on its stone edge, waiting.

"Sophia?" a faintly familiar voice asked. I turned my head slightly to the fairy with her pink hair and red dress. "You look… armored." It was more a statement of fact than anything else.

"Hi Ribbon. Been a while," I replied. "How have things gone here over the last few years? You've all been safe?"

She flitted over to my other side, laughing. "Nothing too bad! A metal planet flew by last year, and it got kind of close, but the Crystal warded it off. Other than that, it's mostly just been how it used to be before our adventure. Oh, Kirby and Adeleine still write, and I go and visit them sometimes. What about you, Sophia? How have you been?"

I grimaced. "Busy, mostly. And right now, between the two of us, I have a bit of a problem. That's why I'm here."

"Ah," Ribbon said, nodding in understanding as she tentatively plucked the medal from my open hand. "Well, I'm sure the Queen will be willing to help you. I mean, you helped us in our time of need, right?"

I glanced away. "I really didn't do anything worth talking about."

"You helped fight a giant robot! And besides, it's the thought that counts." I think phrasing my inept and near-suicidal flailing as helping to fight was, hmm, I think the term was revisionist history, but I took the hint and let the conversation lie there.

Fortunately, I didn't have to wait overly long until another even more faintly familiar voice made itself heard, although from a fair distance. "-coming I'm coming I'm coming!" I looked up just in time to see the rapidly descending form of the ruler of Ripple Star, although I was very unsure how much actual ruling she did.

With a last flutter of wings, she landed a little too hard right in front of me, trying to combine it with a hasty bow that skewed her thick-rimmed glasses and crown. She looked up at me and blinked rapidly. Ribbon hovered over and whispered something in her ear, causing her to stare harder for a moment before her eyes widened slightly in recognition. "My, you've grown!"

"I, uh-" I paused for a moment in surprise. "Yes. I have."

She straightened out her glasses while Ribbon carefully tapped her crown back into position and curtsied, making it obvious that her dress's sleeves were slightly too long. "Anyway, you said it was something urgent?" she said earnestly.

I grimaced and nodded. "Yeah. This is kind of awkward to say, but I need your help with a Dark Matter incursion." As I expected, there was a collective gasp among the surrounding fairies, and the Queen practically jumped back in surprise. Ribbon took on a more determined expression, although after a moment it shifted to one of thoughtfulness.

"Of course we'll help against Dark Matter, but why us? Wouldn't Kirby be a better choice?" she asked.

"Maybe if it was a regular incursion, but this is a bit more difficult. A, uh, friend has been infected with a seed of Dark Matter, and we need to push it out of her before it can wake up and do whatever it's gonna do. Dark Matter stuff, I guess. We think that the Crystal can help."

By this point, the Queen had regained her composure, and nodded once gracefully. "Very well. Follow me." She turned and began to fly up back towards the citadel behind her. I supposed that if your entire species could fly, you just kind of assumed everyone could. Fortunately for everyone, even though it wasn't immediately obvious, I could fly too. My wings snapped open and flapped, sending me into the sky, and I kept pace with her much smoother climb as best I could. She started talking to me (and Ribbon, who'd decided to tag along) while we were ascending, and continued as we landed on a balcony and went inside, walking towards the Crystal.

"What you're asking isn't simple. The Crystal is older than any of us. When the first fairy arrived on Ripple Star, the Crystal was here, a gift from the Ancient Ones. We protect it, we keep it clean, we can even control it a little. But we don't understand its powerful core of light magic. I think we can help your friend, but she'll have to do some of the work herself by maintaining a positive outlook. The Crystal's light will need to be able to tell the difference between her and the Dark Matter to push it out, at least if it's lying deep and dormant like you're saying."

"What happens if she can't?"

"Well, either nothing or she'll risk..." The Queen put a hand to her mouth, covering it with her thick sleeve and causing her next words to be muffled. "Well, being torn apart into pieces."

I set my mouth into a thin line. "I promised her she'd be safe if she agreed to undergo the procedure, if that's what we want to call it. And you're telling me she could die? Isn't there anything you can do?"

She shook her head. "We'll do all we can, but I'm afraid it's a difficult thing. We don't understand Dark Matter either, you see. Other than when it attacked us, all we really know is that it's a force of negative emotions, and that the Ancient Ones either feared it or worshipped it. And even the few ancient texts we have are riddled with confusing euphemisms, prophecies, and we've had some translation issues with a few of the words. For example, they have two different terms for the 'father of the matter most dark', and we don't know if they both mean the Zero. It's hard enough to fight it when it presents itself. I think it will be even harder to fight it when it hides itself." The clear regret in her voice just made me feel worse about the situation in general. Still, I'd gotten this close to the finish line. No sense in giving up now. I just had to hope my other self was up to the task.

Apparently my doubts were visible on my face, since Ribbon hovered up to eye level and gave a cheery smile. "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll make it! With you by her side, there's no way she doesn't!"

I just sighed. "I hope so. She's my clone, so I'm not sure what it says about us otherwise." I decided to drop that detail now to prevent a shock later. Surprisingly, they both acknowledged it but didn't really seem that surprised. I guess they just expected humans to be weird like that.

"We're here," the Queen said suddenly, throwing open a pair of doors that led into the Crystal's chamber. A single walkway led to a floating platform that hung over an empty void, the Crystal itself floating over an inner pedestal, surrounded by a gentle barrier of light. Light that was coming from above as much as below, as the sun was shining through a hole in the roof. Or, no, that was an aperture that could open and close. I could see the edges and lines where the shutter was hidden away once we'd entered the chamber proper.

"I'll be back with her as soon as I can find her," I said, annoyed by the fact that she'd left without leaving me a way to get in touch with her easily. Still, I had to check the details with the Queen first, and I had a pretty good idea of where she was, so this was still the right call. Didn't like the idea of making them wait too long, but I'd be quick.

"Got it," the two fairies said, and after I'd walked just out of sight of the Crystal a few seconds of concentration was all I needed to shift worlds once again. From there, it wasn't too far from Coil's hidden lair to PRT Headquarters, where I just walked in through the front door. Last time I'd been here had been during the Traveler's attack, and needless to say it looked pretty different when it wasn't an active combat zone. Still, I understood it was pretty busy earlier in the day, between actual PRT agents performing their duties and people on the guided tours or in the gift shop, which was quite a contrast to the present dead silence now that they'd locked up the public-facing section. At the very least a couple of squads would be on standby, and dispatch would be standing ready, but it turned out that most people's hours made way more sense than mine.

There was a team of four agents standing at strategically chosen points in the lobby, at least. The one closest to me waved me over. "Director's been waiting for you. She's in a meeting room behind the front desk." He gestured towards the room in question. I thanked him and continued forward.

The meeting room was unassuming, although a bit nicer than what I assumed the actual interrogation rooms would look like. Nice to see that I was still at least a little in the PRT's good graces. There was a desk with an open laptop and three chairs, although I got the impression that they'd been dragged in for the occasion. I guessed a formal debrief with a cape who wasn't either a villain, a Ward, or a Protectorate member wasn't that common, and those three would have been done in an interrogation chamber, Wards HQ, or PHQ respectively. Then again, this was the city with New Wave in it, so was that even true to begin with? I guess it didn't matter that much.

As for the chairs, two were on the far side of the table and already occupied by Director Piggot and Armsmaster, one sitting right at the desk and one sitting on her left and a bit behind it, halberd clamped to his back at an angle. Although the third chair was pulled out and positioned for me to take it, I stayed standing for the time being.

"Before we start, can I ask about my clone-" I stopped mid-sentence as I heard the gentle tap of boots touching the ground while Piggot scowled and Armsmaster grimaced. For my part, I just sighed as I half-turned around. "There's a door."

"Yeah but the ceiling's more fun. And more comfy. And it lets me listen to Purity get raked over the coals in the interrogation room a couple floors up. You can thank me for that one later, by the way," she said, smirking. Well, she said she was gonna go do that, so I wasn't too surprised.

"I will," I replied earnestly. "But that was your last bit of fun." I turned my head around, back to the two officials. "Permission to take a few moments to dimensionally shift her and stop her from being a risk?" That particular part of my powers wasn't a secret anymore, so I didn't have to hide it. That was a little freeing, honestly.

For her part, Piggot just looked to her left. "I think there's sufficient evidence to believe we should take her at her word here," Armsmaster crisply said. The PRT Director nodded and turned back to us, clasping her hands on the desk in front of her.

"Very well, you can go ahead. Try not to be too long," she said. I nodded, grabbed my other self by the upper arm, let a few seconds pass while I concentrated, and shifted worlds once more. She then willingly let herself get more or less dragged back into sight of the Crystal and halfway across the walkway to it.

Then things started to go wrong.

First was the hiss, a sound that would be more at home coming from a snake than a person, emanating from deep within my other self's throat. I turned to see her single visor-eye fixed right on the floating Crystal. She took several silent steps back across the walkway. I folded my arms and looked on, impassive. Ribbon and the Queen cautiously advanced on either side of me, moving a bit closer to her, but not close enough that they were in her personal space.

"Sophia?" Ribbon gently asked.

"That thing isn't meant to exist," she snarled. "It's wrong." I wasn't sure what she meant, but I could guess pretty well, and the Queen confirmed it just moments later.

"This must be the Dark Matter speaking from inside you. It's afraid," she surmised. My other self paused, expression frozen. I wasn't even sure if she was breathing.

For my part? Well, so long as she was here, the threat was minimal. Even in the absolute worst case, we could simply use one of the now much more available methods to deal with the Dark Matter, and she couldn't get home without hitching a ride with me. We could afford to wait. "If you're not up to it, we can put it off. We don't have to do it right this second." She remained frozen in place.

I took a few cautious steps towards her, slowly reaching out. "We should probably get you out of here, though-"

She finally tore her attention from the Crystal, choosing to glare straight at me instead. "You! You promised this would be safe! I guess I should have only ever trusted myself!" She snapped, voice full of betrayal, as her arm shot out to one side and she closed her hand into a loose fist as if holding a blade.

"Don't!" the Queen and Ribbon cried out simultaneously, but it was too late. The Crystal, previously silent, sprung to life, a target having presented itself at last. As a sword began to form in her fist, a beam of pure light lanced out and pierced her gut. Something between a shriek and a screech came from the impact zone while the silhouette I could now barely make out stumbled back and tried to shield its eyes.

I took my turn to freeze, unsure of what to do. Of what I even could do right now.

Luckily, the Fairy Queen was much quicker on the uptake. She briefly chanted a few alien words from behind me and a portal tore open behind the being currently splitting in two, a dense, dark stone rapidly forming in the midst of the humanoid frame. The latter stumbled back further, being practically sucked in by the hole in space, fully separating from the Dark Matter and causing the light to fizzle and fade as its two targets separated. The stone dropped unceremoniously to the floor as my copy tumbled into space and the portal closed behind her.

I moved to end it then and there, taking a step forward as my hand darted to the hilt of my sword, but the Dark Matter was quicker than both me and the Crystal. It jumped forward, interrupting my draw, and latched itself onto my chest, shifting so its eye faced outward while its tendrils seeped inward.

I could feel it inside my mind. Mostly, I could feel how weak it was. It was brought out into reality by the Crystal's light long before it was ready, and so it was already on the verge of death. A shadow of its potential power. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite weak enough that it couldn't steal my body out from under me.

Before the Crystal could adjust, it flicked a switch in the back of my mind much better than I could, and I shifted worlds back to Earth Bet. My body jerkily finished drawing my sword and igniting it, but before it could do anything else Armsmaster had stood up, leveled his halberd at the pustule of Dark Matter on my stomach, and launched the head out on a chain. The impact was hard, causing my unsteady body to double over before toppling on my ass, but the important part was that I could feel a sluggishness entering the Dark Matter from where the spearpoint had impacted it. Tranquilizers?

Whether it was that or just battle damage, it gave me just a tiny bit more freedom. The head of the halberd reconfigured into a grappling hook configuration while still inside the Dark Matter's protruding eye, giving him a grip on it. At that point, it tried to use my power again, but I was ready and able to do something about it. I could tell it wanted to leave Armsmaster behind in this world, but I didn't let it.

All three of us shifted worlds together, and Armsmaster didn't miss a beat. He finished his maneuver, retracting his grappling hook and tearing the Dark Matter free from where it was attached to me. It stung like hell all over, but it worked. Then he shifted his grip slightly and slammed the Dark Matter blob down to the ground where he shifted his halberd head again, reconfiguring it into some kind of rectangular steel cage with two metal arcs that had electricity dancing around them, trapping the crippled Dark Matter inside. Maybe for just a moment, but that was long enough. Unable to move, it couldn't escape when another beam of light shot from the Crystal, this one far surer and with more intensity. The Dark Matter faded away under the assault of light, rapidly disintegrating into nothingness.

The light stopped. A heartbeat passed. Nothing more happened.

It was over. The Undersiders, Coil, Noelle, Dark Matter, my clone. It was all finally over.

But I still couldn't rest quite yet. I had to try and find out what had happened to my shadow. And as I locked eyes with Armsmaster, I realized I probably had some explaining to do.

I really hope her clone isn't dead. It would be so much more interesting to see a story where a doppelganger doesn't go away for the sake of returning the status quo (or a slightly altered form of it), which is how such situations seem to end in most cases.

Chapter 43
My gaze flicked away from Armsmaster and over to the Queen. "I need a portal to wherever the last one was."

"I-" she began before stopping, sighing, and making a gesture with her right arm towards the Crystal. Space tore once again, and I hopped through into the starlit void.

Like the space in my universe, it was very cold and didn't have much atmosphere. Unlike the space in my universe, it wasn't to the point where I'd swiftly die. Instead, it was only fairly uncomfortable. I'd guess it was like being high up on a mountain, although I'd never gone mountain climbing so I couldn't be sure.

I looked in every direction, even using my wings to spin myself in zero-gravity so I could look behind me too. Stars, constellations, nebulae — they all filled my vision, but nothing that looked person shaped. There was some far-off structure that could have been a space station, and other bright dots that might have been nearby planets. I cycled through my mask's vision-modes as I spun and spun, but it didn't let me find her.

Meaning I was alone, in the depths of space with no one around. Tumbling aimlessly. Voices faintly transmitted from the portal, and yeah, I was meant to be on the other side. After a few last glances, a couple of wingbeats took me back to Ripple Star.

"Nothing," I said, voice coming out a little more exhausted than I'd meant it to. "Are you sure that's where she went?"

The Queen nodded sharply, skewing her glasses again and leading her to fumble a little as she tried to right them. "Her attunement with the Crystal was heightened while she was being attacked by it. Part of the portal opening was her doing, and she blindly set the coordinates to the very edge of the galaxy. I sent you to the same place, but it looked through the portal like it was empty, and that means she could have drifted quite a bit in any direction even though it hasn't been long. I was worried this would happen, and we might not be able to find her. It's a big place, out there."

"And lonely," Ribbon added, looking as forlorn as I felt.

I turned and began to march away from the Crystal. I just needed a moment. The others followed me as I strode to the nearest balcony and hopped off the edge. I'd survive even the harshest fall, but my wings almost instinctively snapped open to catch some updraft, slowing me a bit. I heard the scraping of steel on stone and twisted in midair to see Armsmaster sliding down the side of the wall behind me. Yeah, he could do that. I'd kind of forgotten.

Once he saw me looking at me, he opened his mouth to say something to me, but I was faster. I angled my wings carefully and flapped them once, decisively, sending me back a fair amount all at once. I angled them a bit differently and kept going back, slowly, away from the castle. A few seconds later, I landed one leg fairly gently on the dry stone spike jutting out of the centre of the courtyard fountain. More angling, hoisting my other leg up in the air a bit, arms a little out. Balance. Precarious, but there.

Breathe. In, and out.

I took off my mask and yanked my hood down before tossing the mask into the water below. It flowed to the edge of the fountain's basin but got stuck, and didn't go over the edge. But it was another precarious thing.

Was she dead? Had I gotten her killed? With my, what? Stupidity? Arrogance? With my lies, certainly.

It was… it was so much. And I was so tired by it all.

We were this close to the finish line! The two of us were about to go home together! I'd only known her for hours, but after all the things she'd said, I-

"What would those be, again?" Armsmaster cut in, making me realise that he'd dashed over to me, halberd clamped to his back, and that I'd been muttering to myself out loud without meaning to. I also noticed he pointedly wasn't actually looking at me. Right, because of the mask situation.

"You can look, I don't fucking give a shit." He opened his mouth to speak, but I interrupted. "Yes I'm sure. Don't make this any more awkward than it already is." My wings spread wide and flapped hard, sending me soaring high up into the air but only a little forward. I landed heavily just in front of the fountain's outer edge and sat down. Second time today. I noticed that Armsmaster had sat down besides me and was still not looking at me. Basterd.

Ribbon, the Queen, and some other fairies were, though. I sighed. "Could you give us a moment?"

The Queen nodded, looking serious once more, before suddenly brightening up and clapping her hands together through her sleeves. "Come on everyone! Back into the castle, let's give our guests some privacy!" The small flyers dutifully obeyed as she walked them away, Ribbon riding herd on the ones further out. Soon it was just the two of us. Humans on an inhuman world, but inhuman in a good way.

"So, noticing anything?" I asked before the silence could get uncomfortable.

"Lots of readings. Some of them are normal, some are more strange," he replied.

"You know, you're sounding pretty unsurprised about this whole thing," I said, frowning. Which I belatedly realised he would actually notice for once if I wasn't looking at the precisely shaped clouds rather than me.

"Well, when you've been a hero for fifteen years it's pretty hard for anything to surprise you," he said, annoyingly reasonable. "But this does come close. If I'm right, then when your clone said that your power led into a pocket dimension…" He trailed off, but the emphasis made it clear what he was getting at.

"Yeah. Didn't think you'd believe me if I corrected her, and that's probably why she said it the way she did. But, well. Every star in the sky is as real as one of ours. And a lot more in reach, too." Where could I even begin with this? I wasn't sure, but knew I had to. My words were spilling out, unguarded. I'd known, for a moment, someone else who knew what I'd been through. I guess I wanted that back. And to explain to myself why I was feeling like this, because even I wasn't sure.

"Four years ago," I began. "Four years ago. That is when I got my powers. And I came, not here, but to this universe's version of Earth. It was frozen over and abandoned, but I met some people who were on an… adventure, I guess? That's basically what they considered it. And it was to stop the Dark Matter. The thing you saw, controlling me? That was its crippled form, barely alive even before you stabbed it. I mean, you knew already, you watched the recording. But still, I was there, and then I joined them and came here. I was there when they defeated Miracle Matter and Zero Two, that's why they were so willing to help me out when I came asking. But it was bad, back then. The entire world was shrouded in Dark Matter. Not that it was literally a permanent night or anything, not outside of the main castle, but you could kind of tell it was there. Um—" I pressed my palm to my forehead. "I'm not sure where I'm going with this."

"Four years is longer than I'd expected, since you only showed up on the scene less than two years ago," Armsmaster helpfully said, letting me refocus.

"Right. Well, for a year or so I was just using my power to summon little allies after finding Empire thugs or whatever and getting them to attack. It was kind of stupid, honestly. I just patrolled in the afternoons and the evenings, didn't really coordinate with anyone or do stakeouts or anything like that. I hurt and brought in a few people, but it wasn't anything consistent or meaningful."

Armsmaster reacted with a start. "You were that Master? We tried to track you down to have a talk about the Wards program and your safety, but then you stopped showing up and we heard some rumors that you were killed. I thought it was a tragedy, but then moved on. Glad to know that wasn't the case."

I shrugged. "I was stabbed. That gave me a shock. So I dropped off the radar for about six months, and went hard into training in this world. At the end, I got my equipment, and came back. Started doing things properly. Skill, commitment, gear. And then fuck all happened for a year and a half."

Armsmaster snorted in what was clearly his failed attempt to stifle a laugh. I snapped my head around to glare at him, but wasn't able to muster much real fury right now. "Sorry, sorry. It's just that you sound exactly like I do when I'm talking to Miss Militia or Dragon sometimes, if you can believe it. It's uncanny, is all."

I grimaced and looked away again, and began aimlessly kicking my feet in the air. An older behavior. I'd trained myself out of fidgeting a while back, but the fighting was over now, at least this bit of it. It wasn't as much of a risk. "I guess I can see that," I said after a moment's consideration.

"I mean, this probably all sounds stupid to you, then—" So it's appropriate that a fucking moron's saying it, I thought but didn't add. "But I guess I should keep explaining. So I was trained here, in this alien, magical world, and I gave my everything to try and make things right back home. Even though the city was basically fucked, I tried. And it didn't matter. Nothing really changed. So I kept trying, not slowing down. Doing more hours, if anything. And nothing changed, still. And then it went on, and on, and on. Was I doing good? I think so, yeah. I stopped some pretty bad crimes, put away a couple of villains. Saw some messed up shit. Went to Canberra. But here we are, and until I fought the Undersiders, it was basically the same as when I'd started. Maybe worse, if anything."

Armsmaster was staying silent, nodding along. I took that as permission to continue. "And it was just so bad because, I'm not a good hero, you know? The Triumvirate are good heroes. You're a good hero. Everyone here's a good hero, except for the bad guys and civilians. But me? I have a temper. I like the violence. I'm stubborn, and so I usually get blindsided by everything. I'm not naturally good at the whole self-sacrifice thing. Even my results aren't great. But, you know, I'd seen this world, and despite the literal space demons that had to be fought, it was just… nice to be in. Way nicer than our world, where my city was infested with people who basically wanted me dead because of what I looked like, or the person who made me trigger in the first place. And it gives you hope, this world. This universe. It made me think that I could change my own world for the better if I brought over its, I don't know. Its essence.

"So I wore a mask, a, shit, a figurative one? Yeah, as well as a literal one. It wasn't easy, but I thought it was worth it. And I talked with other people about this. Gallant on the day I caught the Undersiders, a couple of my civilian friends at other times. And they told me, I needed to stop, but did I listen? Well, yeah, but I still believed that it didn't matter. That what I was doing was important. God, that makes me sound like I'm fucking delusional. And now here we are."

"Sounds like something's changed," Armsmaster said.

"Yeah. Her. We… had an argument. About whether or not to come here. I convinced her to come by lying, and she made some good points about how I wasn't really living. Just waiting to die. I mean, she didn't say that exactly, but it's what she was getting at. And I agreed, I figured it was maybe time to change how I did things, and it was partly because of what she said but also because I thought that she was, well. She wasn't great, I didn't want to be her exactly, but she was still a decent hero despite the fact that she was more me than me. The purer Sophia Hess."

"You know, I can avoid looking at you but I couldn't avoid hearing that." Armsmaster sighed.

"Like I told you, I don't give a shit. Coil knows my secret identity, why shouldn't you? It's not like… well, I don't know. Like I don't trust you? I guess I do, but I should have trusted her more, earlier. Maybe that would have changed this. She didn't deserve this. Even if she's alive, she's alone, lost in deep space. If she did die, the last thing she ever got to feel was betrayal and then pain. And she was the one with the ideas, and the success. If anything, it should have been me. But, fuck, now that I think about it again, what was I even meant to do? I had to stop the Dark Matter from repairing itself and coming back. I didn't have a choice. But I must have, right? It can't have been that I had to let her die one way or the other. That's not… it's not…" I trailed off. Not what?

While I was grappling with things, Armsmaster finally turned his head to look at me, apparently deciding that if he knew my name he may as well. Then, he spoke up. "I want you to imagine a scenario for me. Can you do that right now?" he began.

That was a bit random, but I had nothing better to do, so I shrugged and nodded. "Sure."

"Okay. Imagine you're a captain of a navy ship, and you hear an SOS signal from a freighter. It's been damaged and is now adrift and beginning to sink, but it's drifted into contested waters between your country and another country. If your ship, a military ship, enters the contested waters and gets found out, that's an international incident. Worse, the other country is renowned for their advanced submarines, so they could have ships in the area already and you can't be certain. You are certain they won't help the sinking ship. What do you do?"

I blinked, then furrowed my brow. "Hold on a second, I see what you're doing. You're saying that the right decision is to abandon the ship. Trying to draw a parallel between that and this."

Armsmaster shook his head. "Not at all, actually. That's the decision I'd make, certainly, but the point is that it's a no-win scenario. You can try and make the best choices out of the options available, but sometimes there's no way to get a perfect outcome, even when you don't make any mistakes. From what I've heard so far, it sounds like no matter what you could have done, something was going to go wrong. If there was a way to avoid this, it came from your clone not being born in the first place. And, well, maybe something will come up in the debrief, but I honestly don't think it will."

"Either way, now we're both alone again," I muttered.

"Not entirely," Armsmaster said. "Because you don't have a monopoly on impulsive decisions." With that, he took his own helmet off and set it on the ground before him. Then he turned his body slightly and extended his hand. "Colin Wallis, at your service." I dumbly shook his hand and then withdrew.

"I let you get everything off your chest because I think you needed to vent all that, and I'm going to say this now because I think you need to hear it. I know you've discussed this with other people before, but I'm hoping this time it can stick. It can be hard to connect with other capes, see their struggles, so long as you're only looking at the mask. Even with New Wave; just because they don't have secret identities doesn't mean they just share everything. So let me tell you about me. I have a problem with tunnel vision, and I can't navigate office politics to save my life. Part of that is because I'm just bad at managing all the bureaucracy, some of it is because I put my foot in my mouth a bit more than average. And I get angry too. Angry that people aren't giving their all, helping out as much as they need to for things to work out."

"And it just makes you want to push harder to try and make up for their lack," I said in understanding.

"Right. But that doesn't actually help anyone in the long run, least of all us. As for other heroes? I've met the Triumvirate more than once, and while I won't go into specifics, they're not perfect either, because no one is. And the heroes of this world? I'm not as equipped as you to say, obviously. But am I right in believing that they're not exactly human, para or otherwise?"

I shrugged awkwardly. "No. Better."

He sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Better, worse, it doesn't matter. The important thing is that you can't judge yourself by their standards, and you can't say you don't measure up to the rest of us because you have no idea what the yardstick actually is. I'm lucky; I'm in the Protectorate, and I went all across the country as part of a strike squad back when they were in fashion. I've met heroes of all kinds, and I'm lucky enough to call a few of them my friends.

"Your team and Dragon?" I asked.

"Mostly, but also Chevalier, along with a handful of others. I don't think I'd still be sane if I didn't make time for them and myself. When your schedule's constrained, giving up your free time is the easy thing. There's no guilt, and it can seem like the moral choice. But honestly, if you go too far, you can lose yourself and burn out. That seems to be what's finally happening to you."

Was he wrong? Not really, I decided. Killing a version of yourself, comitting suicide in a sense, had that effect on you. "I could keep going if I had to," I said defensively. "But yeah. This job takes a lot out of you, doesn't it?"

He nodded, and adopted an almost wistful expression. "It's not for everyone, that's for sure. And it is tough when it feels like the world's just treading water despite your best efforts. And I'd do some things differently if I had the chance, but there's a lot I'd do the same. I think it's the same with you?" he said, the last sentence more of a question than a statement.

"I guess. I think at this point it's more different than same, though."

Armsmaster, Colin I supposed, smiled. It was a good smile, a mix of understanding and satisfaction. Pretty reassuring, actually. "Well, you have all the time in the world to change course, now. You're a good hero, and a good person. If you weren't, this whole thing wouldn't bother you so much. And for what it's worth, I hope that the clone's still alive, and that you get to see her again. You both deserve that much.

"Anyway, if you ever need any help, or want to book a PRT-approved confidential therapist, you can call me. After these past couple of weeks, you've earned that." He picked his helmet back up and put it on once more.

"I'd honestly love to stay and look around this place. I think there's a lot to be learned here, and I'd love to talk to these people. But the longer we delay, the worse the Director is going to assume about what happened, and Emily really doesn't need anything that'd worsen her blood pressure. Mind if you take us home?"

I nodded, and fished my mask out of the fountain. I wiped the water off the inside, pulled my hood back up, and put it on.

I took Colin's arm in hand, and shifted worlds once more.

Hope Sophia takes a day or two off in the other world. Is not like she has not "run away" before. In fact since Coil knows who she is, she could leave her family in Pop Star for their own safety.

Chapter 44
When we shifted back to Earth, we arrived to an empty room with the exit covered by several PRT agents and heroes, which was fair enough. Armsmaster had them stand down, gave the situation in brief, and sent them on their way. I said hi to Vista, who was here pretty late, and watched as the rest left, rather disgruntled that things had resolved without them. Them learning about the truth of my power… didn't really bother me at all. The PRT already had it in their database, so if they ever had to know they'd have been told anyway. Plus, I was too tired to care even if it did mean much.

A clearly annoyed Director Piggot returned to the room with the all-clear given, and it took a fair bit of talking to get what had happened across. Armsmaster had my back though, explaining the important stuff far more effectively than I'd have been able to, and leaving out our little heart-to-heart at the end. Not that I didn't trust the PRT, but I didn't want to just give them my real identity and life story.

Once the incident was outlined to Piggot's satisfaction, we finally started the whole debrief about the Coil thing, from start to messy finish. I had to plead the fifth a couple of times over how I got some of my information, like that time I broke into an office building at night and then got shot at by a sniper, because while it wasn't wrong it was definitely illegal.

I mean, it had also been a key step in my work, but in hindsight it was so absurdly reckless to so casually break the law like that. Today had shaken up my self-perception, and now I was looking at the past with a different, more critical eye. Just how many decisions had I made that weren't necessarily mistakes, but were way too casual about risk? Physical, mental, legal — the works.

Luckily, while the Director seemed even less happy about this than the other thing where I'd shown up possessed by an evil alien, she also seemed willing to overlook it, probably because she didn't have any proof of anything. She did strongly imply that I'd better not keep going down that road, and I firmly agreed that I would change my ways. I was planning to anyway, after all.

I answered everything to her satisfaction, but when I thought we were about done she raised a point I'd managed to overlook. "Of course, there is the issue of retaliation. If Coil knows your secret identity, then your family and friends could be at risk if he decides to take revenge for your disruption of his operations."

That was actually an extremely good point. I'd gotten so distracted by resolving the clone situation that I'd forgotten all about what had set me on my overly aggressive collision course with Coil's lair: the fact he knew my secret identity. I'd never met Coil personally, at least if you discounted the body double, so while I'd like to think I had a vague idea of how the guy worked from interacting with his operations I honestly didn't. Not really. So even though it would be completely pointless to go after my family at this stage, he might be petty and spiteful enough to do it anyway.

I was at a complete loss for words when Armsmaster spoke up. "What if we asked the hostage?"

It was my turn to be filled in. I'd known that my other self had rescued a vital hostage from Coil earlier, but hadn't really thought too much about it. The fact she was a powerful precog was a surprise, since I thought it was a political hostage. Although if the mystery girl was in fact still Dinah Alcott, I guess she was both? In any case, after taking a moment to process, I realised that Armsmaster's idea was actually pretty good. Based on her power as described to me, if she said there was a significant chance that my friends and family were going to die over a given time period, that most likely meant Coil was involved, and we could take appropriate action at that point. This method could give false positives, but not false negatives, so I liked it. They could also get PRT Thinkers to check it out, but since this didn't qualify as an emergency that might take a day or two for the work to filter through the bureaucracy. Unsurprisingly, good Thinkers were in constant demand from Directors all over the country.

What I liked less about the idea was having her use her powers after she'd been locked up for about two weeks and forced to use them to help a supervillain. It just didn't quite feel right, no matter how helpful it was. However, it turned out that she'd predicted we were going to ask her, and had agreed to it ahead of time, hence why Armsmaster had brought it up. Thinkers.

I was given the honor of placing the call myself, since it concerned me directly, and did so with my mask's systems, letting me talk to her in private.

"Hello?" A young girl's voice came through, sounding quite tired.

"This is the hero Exoa Knight speaking. My clone rescued you," I explained.

"Oh, I see. Alright, because of what you two did for me, I'm willing to answer a few questions for you for free. I'm not sure what I'll do in the future, but I owe you that much. Not too many though. Otherwise I get headaches." I noted she had a fairly proper way of speaking, considering how young she sounded.

"Just one. What are the chances that someone in my immediate family dies in the next, I don't know, month or so?"

"Why are you worried about that? Never mind, you shouldn't be. Zero point zero zero six five seven percent chance of it happening. Can I ask you something?" I was so relieved by her answer I told her to go ahead. "What happened to the other you? The numbers around her are fuzzy."

I grimaced. "It's complicated. She got hurt while we were trying to help against something nasty inside her, and now she's missing," I paused for a moment before continuing. "But she's tough, and things usually work out alright where she is right now. So she should come back soon enough."

"When she does, tell her she can say hi," the girl said.

That resolved, we wrapped things up. I ended the call and shook hands with the Director and Armsmaster, said goodbye, and then flew into the night, headed home once again. Before too long, I landed in my room and shifted worlds. The fairies were back out in the courtyard, and Ribbon was there immediately to give back the medal I'd handed over to her.

"Any news?" I asked. She knew what I meant, and shook her head sadly.

"If we do find her, I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I can." I grimaced under my mask, my thoughts in total chaos again. I stood there silently for several seconds, making things kind of awkward. Eventually I figured I should probably just go.

"Thanks," I said before using the crystal shard to open up a portal back to Planet Popstar. Hopping through, I landed in the Meta-Knights base, and made my way back to my little room on the Halberd. I got out of my armour, and paused before I shifted worlds for the last time today. Because yeah, step one, I wouldn't go out tonight. I'd get a good night's sleep instead, after one last thing. I closed my eyes, counted to five, and shifted. I took the medal in my hands and put it back in its drawer. Next step, grabbing the Bio Sparks. That was actually fairly easy, since I could just call them on my phone and ask them to come into my room all visible like. What really surprised me was that one of them was already in my room and I hadn't seen him, and if I was any less trained I would probably have yelled in surprise. At least it proved that they were up to any task, although I didn't doubt that by this point.

I asked them to do one final thing for me, which they agreed to without complaint. Not really understanding the secret identity thing in the first place, they didn't object, and fell in behind me. I then thanked them for everything they'd done for me over the past couple of weeks or so, since they'd been fairly critical to what I'd done, and asked them if there was anything I could possibly do for them in return. They said that once I returned them to their home, they were going to request a duel from me to further hone their skills. It felt like the least I could do.

It was late, and my little sister was probably already sound asleep. At the very least she was in bed. My mom wouldn't be for a bit longer, though. And I had to tell her. Had to? No, I wanted to. And it was important that I did. Maybe it was because I was pretty exhausted by this point, mentally at least, but I thought that if I went to sleep now I might wake up and consider everything that had happened like it was a bad dream. Not literally, but in the sense that I wouldn't take it seriously. I'd forget what my clone had pointed out, that I'd realized I needed to talk more with the people around me and do things a bit differently from now on.

Already, I was kind of feeling that way. I could hear a part of my mind fight back at the notion of doing this at all, let alone now. Mom's busy and tired all the time, does she really need this as well? You've been doing your thing alone for almost twenty months now, and you haven't slowed down yet. Do you want to be the hero who went crying to everyone because she couldn't do her fucking job without complaints, like everyone else can?

I was at her bedroom door, arm raised to knock, but motionless. Those thoughts… were instinct and gut feeling. And those had their place, for sure. But not right now. I remembered what Armsmaster, Colin, had said, as well as my other self, and I pushed those thoughts to the side. This wasn't only right, it was a long time coming.

I knocked once, twice, three times. My mom opened the door, a curious expression on her face. Her eyes flicked down to the broad, purple frame of the Bio Spark behind me. She paused for a moment — her mind must have been racing — and then her eyes widened as she let out a soft 'oh', then stepped back and opened the door further. I suppressed a grimace and entered the room.

She sat down on her bed and vaguely motioned for me to sit next to her, expression practically blank, as if in a trance. I dutifully obeyed. After what felt like an eternity of sitting there in silence, but was really only about five or so seconds, she finally spoke up. "So does this mean you're a parahuman?" It was a sensible question. If something truly strange or inexplicable happened on this Earth, a parahuman was usually to blame.

"Yeah," I said, before deciding to elaborate. "and I'm a cape as well."

That took her back for a moment as I realised a bit late that outside of the scene, the distinction wasn't quite as immediately obvious. Still, she figured out what I meant by that soon enough. "For how long?" she asked, voice quiet but with an undercurrent of shock and hurt.

"I've been a hero for a year and a half. I've had powers for about four years. Do you remember my friend Adeleine?" She frowned before nodding slowly.

"Of course I do, that was quite a day." She looked at the Bio Spark. "Oh god, are you saying she wasn't real?"

I hummed. "Nah. My power works by bringing out real things. Even if they are strange," I said, kicking lightly at the cloaked ninja for emphasis. The details weren't that important here, but I still felt a vague need to stick up for the realness of my friends on the other side of the dimensional wall.

"I'm not that strange," the Bio Spark protested with a mutter. Him talking barely phased Mom, though. I think at this point she was in a state where she was willing to basically take anything in stride.

"I suppose I understand that you wouldn't want to tell me anything, let alone something like this, in light of what had happened to you. But, Sophia, why would you go out behind my back as, what, a vigilante?" She cupped my head with her hand, turning it to face her head-on. "Have you ever been hurt?"

I shrugged off her hand awkwardly. "Yeah. Pretty badly, sometimes. I get into a lot of fights."

"You can't be serious. Fights? Violence? Sophia, you know how I feel about that, and more importantly, what if you ever get hurt worse than just 'pretty badly'? Heroes can die!" This was part of why I hadn't told her for the longest time. My dad died while I was pretty young, and although he hadn't been a cape he had died violently. Mom had taken a pretty strict anti-violence stance in the house ever since, even above and beyond the worries any parent would have of their kid flying around a city infested with the likes of the Empire Eighty-Eight.

"I know, Mom. Trust me. And I know I should have told you sooner, if I was doing this. I've lied about a bunch of stuff to you. But I've decided I'm changing that. From now on, I'll be honest with you."

"I don't suppose you'll stop going out?" she said it as a question, but it was pretty clear that Mom already knew the answer to that. I just shook my head to confirm.

"I'm going to try and be more careful than before, but… I can't just give it up. Not all of it. There's too much I still have to do. I-" Pausing, I shuffled away a bit so I could gesture widely. "I'm actually making a difference out there! I know the city's damaged and messed up. And I obviously can't change that myself. But, just look at the news tomorrow, you'll see what I mean."

My mother sighed in frustration, then gently pulled me into a hug which I returned a bit awkwardly. Still not much of a hugger, even now. "I know that I probably can't stop you, which is the only reason why I'm not going to try. I just want you to be safe, okay? This is scary for me," she said in my ear.

"I know," I said back. "But I don't think I could have hid it from you forever. And if you were going to find out anyway, I wanted it to be from me telling you."

She let go of me and lent back a bit. "Well, I have to ask, what changed your mind about keeping things a secret?"

I shrugged. "A couple of things. Some of which I should probably tell you now. But I'm gonna you not to worry too much about any of it. Because despite everything, I think things are finally looking up. For all of us."

Notice Coil can kidnap her family without killing them. And that she did not ask about herself.

Edit: Oh and she also didn't ask about her friends.

Coil can hire a sniper to take her out when she is not using her armor.

Last edited:
If you actually end up using that plot point I'm going to be very disappointed. I'll still read it, but please don't give Sophia the idiot ball.

Notice Coil can kidnap her family without killing them. And that she did not ask about herself.

Edit: Oh and she also didn't ask about her friends.

Coil can hire a sniper to take her out when she is not using her armor.
You are technically not wrong, but this is a case where you can infer from the given information in-universe. Dinah's power isn't an evil genie which granted Sophia a wish of very specific protection: It's a precognitive ability that sees all possible futures, more or less, and collates them into an enormous collage. If she sees a negligible chance of the most likely form of retaliation (even more likely than Sophia herself getting assassinated; at this point Coil would be doing it for spite, which means trying to make it hurt more than pure military-style tactical effectiveness), then there must necessarily be an even more negligible chance of other forms. Although you can bet that any PRT Thinkers assigned to give the situation a look-see will be as thorough as you, once everything works its way through the bureaucracy.

There's value in taking precautions but I'm afraid this is an example of being a bit too paranoid.

This is a guy that can "Split timelines" and try to kill Sophia in one while he does nothing in another. He also knows Sophia had a reunion either with the PRT or the Heroes even if he doesn't know what is about.

Heck he can try several variations to kill Sophia.

More so with something that is not time sensitive.

So no, is not being paranoid if they are actually are after you.

Epilogue 1
She'd gotten into the habit of counting days, which had surprised her. Not once before had she really been that bothered about the passing of time, but now with each day flowing into the next tediously, ever since her capture — exactly two weeks ago now — everything seemed to drag like it had a ball and chain shackled to it.

Better than a literal one. She wouldn't say for a moment that she regretted any of her actions up until now, of course. Her choices had been fairly grim once the PRT had gotten their hands on her, and she'd picked the undisputed best from a bad bunch. But that didn't mean she had to actually like this least-worst outcome.

She had some things going for her, of course. She was officially Lisa Wilbourn, orphan. Part of her rather extensive bargain was that the PRT wouldn't look too closely into her past in exchange for her compliance with probationary Wardship and what information she had on Coil. Another part was that similar offers would be extended to her teammates. Bitch was off in Chicago while Regent had been sent to Houston, practically as far away from his dad as possible. Lisa had no idea how intentional that was on the PRT's part.

Not that she could call and find out. As a young ex-supervillain, all contact with her former teammates and anyone in her old city was strictly forbidden. She hadn't been too close with any civilians in Brockton Bay, but the Undersiders…

Well, the other two hadn't exactly been the friendliest people, but she'd still considered them friends. Lisa supposed that in hindsight, it was never going to last. Rachel's raw aggression, her wit, Coil's power and orders, Alec kind of dragged in their wake. It had made for some fun times and an interesting social environment for her to navigate, but it wasn't stable. Sooner or later they would have gotten themselves in some kind of trouble. Would Coil's plan to free Uber and Leet and add them to the team have changed that?

Probably not. She'd considered the idea before, earlier in her stay here at New York, and it had been fairly conclusive. Themed villains who'd been beaten by one hero with questionable powers and no really ambitious crimes under their belts. She doubted they had the drive or capability to do much, although they'd at least have been easily brought into line by Bitch and herself. Some additional muscle, some gadgets, and that's about it. Maybe she could have co-opted them for her own plans to topple Coil from the inside, Leet could have made some gadgets, but even so it would have been decidedly minor. But even as she hoped the rest of the team was doing well, she also figured there wasn't much use in dwelling on old possibilities.

That didn't mean she was above a bit of perverse glee at the expense of old enemies, though, and with any luck something to facilitate that should be here at any moment. Which is why she was sitting here on the glorified cot provided for her small (but she supposed that at least it was private, and hers) room in one of Department One's Wards facilities, doing nothing in particular, thoughts dwelling on how bored she'd become since joining up. It was all orientation, basic training, and working with Image to figure out how exactly they'd rebrand her, and she oh so desperately wanted to be back in the field again. Even if that meant being up close with a power-armored girl and her sword. Fuck, she'd take something like being part of the PRT's junior thinktinks, helping to assess threats in her own unique way, which at least had the possibility to be intellectually challenging. But of course, they weren't going to let her near any truly sensitive data until she turned eighteen and her probation was over, which now seemed like it was oh so far away. Her main consolation prize was that if she was well-behaved they might let her do something other than the most boring non-field work available before then, but that was still months away at best.

After a minute or so more waiting, she finally got a knock on her door. Three knocks, hesitant at first but they got stronger. She didn't need her power to figure out that it was Danger Ranger. Grinning widely, Lisa jumped to her feet and threw it wide open. "Stewart! Have you got the goods?" she asked. The boy in front of her, about her age but pretty small, winced a little.

"Don't put it like that. It makes it sound like I'm a drug dealer or something," he complained even as he dutifully handed over the crisp printouts. "Why do you want these, anyway? Is it to do with your, you know?" Lisa didn't need her power to figure out he meant her probation. It had been kind of awkward at first, showing up and being known as the supervillain until a few days ago. While her probationary status had been disclosed to the other Wards on her new team, the exact details of her past were kept a secret. In practice, she was part of the support squad of the NYC Wards with a bunch of other Thinkers, so keeping big secrets was basically impossible, and once they knew it didn't take much convincing for the others to believe that there might be some connection between the blonde villainous thinker who'd been caught in a New England city a few days ago and the blonde probationary Ward who you'd just been introduced to.

Fortunately, Stewart was a decent enough person, if skittish and with a frankly awful naming sense, so he didn't seem to hold her past against her. A couple of the Wards did, but she'd managed to work her charms on the majority.

"Mmm-hmm," she replied. "Just wanted to check in on how things were going. If the news was anything to go by, things got really interesting yesterday. I had to see for myself. Anyway, I owe you one for this, okay?" She got a nod from her fellow Thinker, and he went to close the door before pausing.

"Uh, Standstill's organizing a kind of a party later tonight, so…" She smiled and nodded just slightly in acknowledgement. Then he awkwardly finished shutting the door and left her in peace. She might go, even though she didn't exactly like parties; she had some suspicions about the other girl. But that was for later.

Lisa turned her attention to the documents she held in her hand, curled up in her bed, and greedily devoured them, rapidly turning gleeful. Ever since she'd been forced to work for Coil at gunpoint, she'd wanted to one day turn the tables on him. Get free, take over, and make him pay. Just on the general principle of the thing. It hadn't really evolved beyond the early preparatory stages, but she'd definitely been planning it out and making moves in that direction. Skimming off their targets without Coil knowing, putting excess loot in private accounts he didn't know about. Considering options, where and when to strike.

But even in her wildest dreams, any kind of actual execution of her plans were still a couple of months away at least. But the heroes? They'd managed a strike in two weeks. Exoa Knight seemed to be at the centre of it, little surprise there. Lisa, or rather her power, had figured out that Exoa Knight had been brought in on the situation when she showed up to guard the Underisder's PRT containment van on its way out of the city, and Lisa also knew that if anyone in the city was the right combination of not constrained by the PRT and Coil's moles, capable, and slightly crazy needed to take on her former boss, it'd be the demon-winged knight; at least after Lisa had been taken out of the picture.

Disappointingly, it was only a blow. Coil himself had managed to slip the net. Lisa had already figured that much from how the news had reported it as a base raid rather than a capture. Still stung a tiny bit to see it confirmed in formal writing, but she'd live. As would the multiple squads of captured mercenaries, although a lot less comfortably. They'd caught three of Coil's ex-military tactical teams, along with a group of capes called the Travelers. She knew he had more soldiers and parahumans in reserve, but that didn't mean it wasn't a significant loss. The abandonment of the underground base would hurt too, as would the construction corporation he doubtlessly used to make it and cover it up being investigated and taken away from him, although she also knew it wasn't his only front company.

All in all, while it might not have been an instant killing blow, it was a major wound. Especially the rescued hostage, which had quite a bit about their case redacted. Hidden identity for rescued hostage is unusual; hostage is unusual, special in some way: probably powered. Power that can be exploited by a hostaketaker; Thinker or Tinker. Interesting. Well, whoever they were, Coil couldn't be happy about losing them.

Lisa was quite satisfied and prepared to be privately smug for the rest of the day, but there was something off. Stewart had just acquired and printed the PRT-ENE compiled reports from yesterday, but as a Ward he didn't have access to any classified records without explicit permission from higher ups. That meant a bunch of redactions, more in the sense that stuff was blatantly missing than explicit black bars. But if you had her powers, that didn't mean as much as it could.

It came down to a report on Noelle. Who was that? A very vaguely described parahuman who'd apparently been neutralized by Glory Girl and Exoa Knight. Brute and Striker/Master ratings; big ones. Very specific choice of words, neutralized. Usually the PRT wasn't quite so euphemistic as that, and Exoa Knight was notably considered debriefed, not questioned. So this Noelle probably wasn't dead, just dealt with.

How, exactly? Glory Girl was basically Alexandria Junior and Exoa Knight was pretty decent in her own right, but neither of them had the ability to just mysteriously get rid of people without killing them, and Noelle wasn't noted as captured. Although Lisa wasn't convinced they could have beaten her in a straight fight, based on those threat ratings.

There were some secondary reports she'd skimmed, unrelated to the Coil incident. She took a second look; Purity had been captured. Taking her out was no mean fight, but there was no reference to who'd done it, which was very unusual. Incident report in the debriefing room, no details…

There was a third, hidden party involved in the Noelle takedown. Likely also responsible for capturing Purity on the same day.

Power and instinct arriving at the same conclusion.

Lisa hadn't been sure what she'd be doing now that she was a hero trapped in an invisible cage, but she felt a spark returning. A mystery to solve, one she had to figure out without being able to go to the city or talk to anyone from it directly. And it was quite an odd one to boot.

While that held her curiosity by itself, what was holding her attention was the idea of what she could do with it. It wasn't just a chance to really flex her power, but to also get some of the other Wards involved. She was sure she could do it, make a little harmless conspiracy with her as the ringmaster. Not much by itself, but it'd propel her up in their eyes, prove how good she was and give her a small measure of authority and control. Yeah, she liked the sound of that quite a lot.

Her new life as the Ward Providence wasn't perfect. It wasn't even something she'd ever wanted. But now that she was having to live it? She figured that she'd be able to manage just fine.

How much more does it really need? We have the loose end with the lost in space Sophia which could be handled in an epilogue, and really that is the only thing that stands out. You have a Sophia that didn't see a future for herself go through some troubles, triumph, and resolve to live instead of exist. Basic novel plot right there.

Better a shorter piece with a strong ending then something drawn out to the point the muse dies and it is given an abrupt weak summary of an ending if any at all like so many seem to get in Worm.

So Coil is still at large?
We'll get to what broadly happened to him in Epilogue 3.
How much more does it really need? We have the loose end with the lost in space Sophia which could be handled in an epilogue, and really that is the only thing that stands out. You have a Sophia that didn't see a future for herself go through some troubles, triumph, and resolve to live instead of exist. Basic novel plot right there.

Better a shorter piece with a strong ending then something drawn out to the point the muse dies and it is given an abrupt weak summary of an ending if any at all like so many seem to get in Worm.
This one gets it. I came here to tell a story, I told that story, now it's time to ensure everything's wrapped up nicely in a bow so it can be laid to rest. Sure, Sophia hasn't solved all the world's problems, she hasn't even solved all the city's problems for all she took a solid swing at it, but that was never the point.

That's not to say I'll never write a short sequel or two mind you. But the plot of this fic in particular? Just about done and dusted, by my reckoning. And it's better for it to end on a satisfying, conclusive note than trail off in the middle of an unintended random cliffhanger.

Two cliffhangers. Noelle and Dark Sophia are in the other Universe. Sure Noelle can be dealt by Meta Knight and Kirby but Dark Sophia was left in space, feeling betrayed and without friends an allies.

You had one Sophia decide to expend more time with her friends and family at the cost of leaving two dangerous monsters in the other world.

Sure Kirby can deal with anything but if anything else I feel sad for Dark Sophia.

For me the story feels incomplete, and I don't feel like Sophia really did anything meaningful so now she has to accept the fact she couldn't even defeat Coil and expend time with her friends and family when her ID is leaked and Coil is not the only supervillain in the city who can take advantage of that.

I am honesty surprised she didn't considered dumping her family in Dreamland as is it a safer place.

What was the point of this? Besides Sophia stopping being a Hero?

Last edited:
Two cliffhangers. Noelle and Dark Sophia are in the other Universe. Sure Noelle can be dealt by Meta Knight and Kirby but Dark Sophia was left in space, feeling betrayed and without friends an allies.

You had one Sophia decide to expend more time with her friends and family at the cost of leaving two dangerous monsters in the other world.

Sure Kirby can deal with anything but if anything else I feel sad for Dark Sophia.

For me the story feels incomplete, and I don't feel like Sophia really did anything meaningful so now she has to accept the fact she couldn't even defeat Coil and expend time with her friends and family when her ID is leaked and Coil is not the only supervillain in the city who can take advantage of that.

I am honesty surprised she didn't considered dumping her family in Dreamland as is it a safer place.

What was the point of this? Besides Sophia stopping being a Hero?
Yeah, and I'm getting to those two. I didn't label this chapter Epilogue 1 for no reason, you know. You've gotta give me a minute to pump out all of the relevant chapters, I am but a mortal writer with a limited word throughput.

Feeling sad for Clonephia is intended though. Her situation's more than a bit tragic. But don't you worry, like I said, we will get back to her, but it's important enough that I'm making it the very final chapter. She deserves that culmination.

As a point of order, her ID isn't leaked. Coil knows because of his own research and Dinah, but he didn't drop it on the evening news. In large part because publicly exposing the identities of heroes in good standing is an excellent way to get the PRT to drop what they're doing and start gunning for you very specifically, and unlike in canon's Empire leak he doesn't still have a Tattletale to fob the blame off on.

Dreamland is a bit safer, but she wouldn't do it unless she deems it absolutely necessary, because while Dreamland is nice it's also a place far removed from the lives and friends her other family members have, which is absolutely alien to them. While it's not so bad for her little sister, it'd be a dick move to spring that on her mother and brother without a very pressing reason.

The point, such as it is, was taking a character I was interested in, changing their life to alter them from being a kind of a bad person, seeing what came up, and then having the character come to terms with who they were, with a full narrative arc to make a complete and cohesive story. Also writing a Worm/Kirby crossover, that too. Also, Sophia isn't outright stopping being a hero, she's just planning to be less of a Terminator getting into the nastiest fights with no hesitation.

Also I don't get why you say she didn't do anything meaningful. Look at all the L's Coil's having to hold right now:
-Loss of three of his very expensive and well-equipped mercenary squads, which is a lot of them, maybe even close to half.
-Loss of all four Undersiders, one preemptively before the story started and three of them during the story.
-Loss of his very expensive secret underground lair before he could even fully finish it, let alone begin full operations with it.
-Inevitable loss of one of his major front companies.
-Loss of Dinah, who hates his guts and will work with the PRT using her absurd Thinker ability to keep hounding him.
-Loss of all the Travelers, and Noelle doesn't get to do what he'd hoped and make the local PRT look awful.
-Uber and Leet aren't around for him to hire to make up his numbers like he did in canon.
-Loss of his body-double.
-The fact he has moles in the PRT is exposed, and presumably like in canon Dragon identifies several to all of them, letting the PRT control what information he receives a lot better.

As well as the huge win the PRT got handed:
-Secret full knowledge of the civilian identities of every active Empire cape and a bunch of their non-powered followers, allowing them to prepare a clean-sweep operation, as opposed to canon where it got dumped on live TV and they had to scramble to respond, failing to nab anyone important.

Sophia didn't single-handedly save the world, but it seems somewhat strange to suggest she didn't accomplish anything. Coil's not dead or in the Birdcage, no, but his operations are mauled. Like, the man came at the queen and he missed. Which he shouldn't have done. These are not losses you just write off, and the Empire's about to get both barrels too. Which, again, I'll cover both in... oh, Epilogue 3.

But Sophia did something meaningful in this story, it's just that it didn't have to do with caping: she finally stopped being so hard on herself, and realized she too was worth of happiness. Paraphrasing what Sophia said, properly living instead of waiting to die.

Keep in mind how EternalStruggle ended this fic's description in his signature, "She struggles daily not only to fight the city's many supervillains but also to be an ever better person.": The personal challenges Sophia faces is one of the driving forces of the fic, one that I found more engaging than simply fighting other capes.

Last edited:
Epilogue 2
Adeleine finished her third cup of coffee this morning and put it down on the wooden table, or at least what looked and felt like a wooden table. Hollow, floating hexagons beneath her feet lit up and filled in, each with a different color, as she walked over to the array of ethereal lenses and adjusted them slightly, ensuring the energy flowing through them from the Star Rod was properly aimed. It was, all in all, a bright, cheerful yet sophisticated scene.

At least so long as you didn't look at the poor girl sitting below the hexagons.

She was, at least, comfortably asleep and well-fed. That was about where the good news ended. The fact of the matter was that Adeleine had scant few ideas as to how she could possibly help Noelle Meinhardt. The thought was enough to elicit a pained sigh from her as she did a tiny bit of tinkering with the lensing array and then sat down on a chair and stared blankly at the pen and paper she'd put there earlier.

There was no sense in not being productive during these times when she was waiting on ongoing requests to sort themselves out, so she was trying to put herself through writing a letter. It would keep up her ongoing correspondence with Ribbon, and if needed she could send copies to the others to detail her thoughts and feelings about this whole thing. Suitably committed, she began to draft the letter, explaining things more or less from the top. But it was all a bit complicated and… messy.

She'd gotten the call yesterday evening when Kirby had shown up at her dorm unannounced and asked for her help. After sending in a formal academic notice that she'd need to be excused for a few days on a vital matter of friendship, Adeleine went with him back to Dreamland without question, only to find that the reason she specifically had been called in was that it was a matter of human biology, and despite the strides made by the Halberd's medical staff she was by far the galactic authority on the subject.

She'd been about to object and say she was an artist, not a doctor, when she saw exactly what the issue was. It wasn't just that she was a human, it was that she was an intersection between human and mage. Which was important, because this was no ordinary illness. Not that she actually knew what it was, mind you.

Well, that wasn't quite true. By the time she'd shown up, Noelle had been forcefully dragged to the Fountain of Dreams and put to sleep with a tactical bonk on the head of the Star Rod after a day or so of struggle. But she hadn't stayed that way. She would drift in and out of consciousness, waking up for a bit to feed before going back to sleep. Even Adeleine's most ingenious creations backed with the Star Rod's carefully directed power couldn't keep Noelle down while she was hungry, but fortunately, once the immediate issue was resolved she'd always drift back off. For now, at least. In any case, her confused moments of wakefulness were proving quite insightful. She didn't have much of a filter, seeming to think she was still dreaming. This had led to quite a few key facts being discovered.

For one thing, the seeming rage she had expressed was in fact a case of possession, or something close to it. Specifically, what she called her 'monstrous half' had a mind of its own, with which it poked, prodded, cajoled, and sometimes took over. It was more able to do so if Noelle was upset, or hurt, or starved. Which explained why the force propelling her to wakefulness came and left with her hunger, but it presented a rather dire issue. There was no fixing her, there was no making her stable, and there was definitely no sending her back home. The last one in part because while Sophia could bring her back to Earth Bet, if Noelle was to be believed she came from a different Earth: Earth Aleph.

One problem at a time, though. Before they could worry about getting her back to the Earth she was last on, let alone home, they had to at the least deal with her sub-mind. And Adeleine couldn't think of something more difficult. If it was a physical problem, well, those were easily overcome. If it was an external possession that couldn't be dealt with via fighting, which was rare in her experience, then they had methods for that too. If it was an emotional problem, that would definitely have taken time, but it would at least be clear what needed to be done. As it stood, there were simply no tools she knew about that could deal with this. She'd asked the others, including Sophia when she'd popped in last night and checked in on Noelle, and they'd all drawn blanks. Sophia in particular said that she'd never heard of someone losing their powers without dying, and also that powers in general were a mysterious subject despite decades of focused study.

(Sophia had also said that she'd take full responsibility for putting Noelle out of her misery if nothing could be done, but while she'd put on a brave face it was clear she didn't like the idea of having to do it. Well, Adeleine wouldn't let that happen, so it wouldn't be a problem. She hoped.)

It would take a miracle of cosmic proportions, and the only true wish-granting machine they knew of had been destroyed by Kirby almost five years ago. It had been necessary of course, but it was proving really inconvenient right now! The other option that had come to mind had been sending Noelle to Patch Land and turning her to yarn in the process, but that turned out to not really change anything. It had made things worse, in fact, since while she couldn't use her automatic cloning abilities on Popstar natives, she had been able to knit copies of captured Patch Land animals. That had been quite a headache to stop before it got out of control, apparently. Once that fell through, and Kirby was done saying hi to old friends since he was in the area, they'd called in Adeleine, hoping she knew something about the human condition that could help. She didn't.

And none of it was Noelle's fault, which hurt perhaps the most. She'd just been a normal young woman when she was brutally thrust into another world, injured, and healed with a strange drink only for it to slowly turn her into her present state. It was wrong, all of it, and it wasn't something she knew how to put right. Little wonder that Sophia had felt so despondent the last time she visited. This was her everyday life, wasn't it? Adeleine had known that already, more or less, but it was another thing to feel it firsthand.

But it was hardly her first time facing adversity, and just because she didn't know what to do yet didn't mean there was nothing to be done. She wasn't going to just give up so easily! That led to the one bit of real progress they'd made. While the Patch Land problem had been ongoing, Noelle had been literally transparent, meaning they'd seen the glowing core in the centre of her lower body. They couldn't risk damaging or destroying it, because it was too likely that doing so would kill Noelle too, but knowing it was there at all gave them something to anchor their efforts on. Knowing about it was what had given Adeleine her idea to lens the Star Rod's power, directing it at the core to more effectively put the monster to dream-filled sleep.

After around twenty minutes of drafting and redrafting her letter, one of her few requests for specialist help finally came through. A well-dressed, hovering bug, limbless but with six floating hands at his side, finally appeared. He took a look at Adeleine, then one at Noelle, then he looked back to Adeleine. "My apologies, but if you want me to fix her lower half, I don't think I can. This is beyond even me."

At that, Adeleine pouted. "Not even gonna try? Aren't you the great Taranza?"

He snorted in response. "Taranza, certainly. Great, not at all. I am schooled in the magical arts"— he stole a glance at the ethereal, floating objects Adeleine had crafted—"as are you, it would seem. But this seems to be beyond mere magic. I confess I've never seen anything quite like… her? I assume it's not as simple a matter as two halves grafted together."

"No. She's…" How could Adeleine explain the other world, Sophia's world, succinctly? When she'd only been there once herself? "From another world. A very alien world. Not completely, but it's not like here either. She's been turned into this by something even the people of that world don't understand." She paused for a moment before tilting her head slightly to gaze down at Noelle. "It's all extremely worrying. I want you to see if you can't help her mind."

"I don't see why I should," Taranza began. At that, Adeleine pouted even harder, putting her hands to her hips, before replying.

"Well, do you like art?"

He looked at her clothes for a moment before it evidently clicked for him. "That should do. Now then." He gestured with one of his hands towards Noelle, and a blast of purple lightning popped the intervening hexagon before plunging into her middle. Her body was swiftly overtaken by a darkened hue as Taranza began to make various noises. Many of which were fairly worrying, such as him muttering 'that's strange' and 'it really shouldn't be doing that' along with 'now this I simply do not understand at all' under his breath.

The great bulk of Noelle stirred as she blearily woke up, her three heads rising above the water that surrounded the fountain, two opening wide in a yawn that was mirrored by the human upper body on top. One of the heads was malformed and incomplete, but Adeleine could swear it had grown a little since she first saw it. Which did fit, since this seemed a transformation months in the making and so far unfinished.

Taranza looked back at her for a moment, but she raised a hand to stop him from doing anything. This was normal. She then turned around and painted some enormous cooked fish into reality, dropping away a pair of hexagons to throw them into the hungry maws. While they were consumed, seemingly automatically, Noelle's human head looked up at Taranza, annoyed.

"That tickles," she said. "Can you make him stop?"

With a mental command and a flick of the wrist that held her paintbrush, Adeleine altered the platform's height and put herself down next to Noelle, standing atop her lower body but not actually touching it. That was vital; she'd already been mind-controlled twice, so she didn't need an evil clone or two of herself running about.

"Sorry, but he's doing something very important," she said, adopting a tone as if she was talking to a child. "He has to do this to help you."

"I'm dreaming, not a kid," Noelle mumbled, now annoyed at her as well. "And that doesn't mean I have to like it. If I'm going to keep appearing here, I at least want to see my friends. I see them in memories in my other dreams, but it's not the same. It feels like it's been ages since I was awake and on Earth."

At that mostly self-directed ramble, Adeleine's expression became strained. Her friends, the group known as the Travelers, were in custody on Earth Bet. From what little Sophia had told her while the younger human had been checking in on things, which Sophia herself had managed to glean from exchanging a few words with the official Protectorate heroes of her world, they were all in custody and not taking their defeat well. Apparently, while Sophia didn't know any details, she did know that mutual issues were coming to the fore now that Noelle was out of the picture, and they were all breaking down. Very convenient for the interrogators, but it meant that even if Noelle went home, nothing would be the same for her, even in that limited sense.

Then again, being able to go back to them at all would be a big win. One thing at a time, Adeleine reminded herself.

"Well, I'm not sure how possible that will be," she said carefully. "Things are very complicated right now."

Noelle snorted at that. "Yeah, things have been 'very complicated' since the Simurgh ripped us from home, so that's not new. It's not fair, either."

"No, it's not," Adeleine agreed, quickly applying a few quick strokes to her nearby canvas in order to create a different kind of brush. "Your hair's a bit messy, let me sort it out." Noelle nodded, although she bit her lip and folded her arms as she did so, letting her hands vanish into the large sweater she was wearing. She'd arrived with one, but it had been fairly damaged, so Adeleine had painted a replacement for her. It was a tiny, inconsequential thing, but she felt it needed to be done.

"Now, I can't promise things will be alright," she said, walking over to behind Noelle and beginning to brush some knots out of her hair. "But I can promise I'll keep doing everything I can to make things just the littlest bit better for you. Alright?"

"It's really not that easy," Noelle said, before yawning again. This looked to be a much shorter period than the last one, then. Adeleine had been worried that she was just going to be awake for longer and longer, until the Star Rod couldn't keep her pacified anymore.

"It's not easy," Adeleine agreed. "But that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep trying." After half a minute or so more, Noelle slumped again, having finished her meal and gone back to sleep.

Another half minute or so passed before Taranza dropped the purple beam, letting Noelle's color return to normal. "Well, I can see at least part of the problem. She has two minds, not just one."

Adeleine nodded. "I knew that already, but it's good to hear I wasn't wrong. Can you do anything about that?"

Taranza hummed. "Not easily. The bestial mind that I assume you want dealt with is at least as strong as the other mind, if not stronger, and my expertise is more in creating and actively controlling minds than in fixing them and passively subduing them. But..."

"But?" Taranza paused for dramatic effect, steepling his middle pair of floating hands while the upper pair smoothed out the hair on his head and his the lower pair precisely adjusted the red scarf around his neck.

"But I may be able to try something, do some good here. I warn you though, artist of the lower world, that I can make no promises just yet."

Adeleine shrugged and gave a thin but determined smile. "It's a start. I'll take it."

Well, there was that weapon that divided people in two on the Kitby anime but it was part of a monster so unless you find a monster like it again no dice.

Epilogue 3
Meta Knight stood, sword in hand, cape fluttering in the cool autumn breeze, and mask firmly affixed to his face, waiting for his pupil to arrive. Over the last six months, they had met in the same spot of these open plains every day for her training, and after her performance in the various trials he'd set over the last week he knew the time had finally come for graduation. To mark this occasion, he had brought Captain Vul and Sailor Dee with him, along with his student's new equipment.

It was not a decision made easily or thoughtlessly. Sophia Hess was still young, her training expedited, her race fragile, and her home dangerous. While she had shown much natural talent for battle and all the qualities required of a knight, if he had his way she would not truly finish her training and enter the world of war until at least a full year had passed, honing her already considerable abilities to absolute perfection. But, Meta Knight knew that if kept too long, she would be inclined to rash action. She had learned much discipline, but had not yet mastered herself. And such rashness could be deadly. Six months had been agreed upon at the start, and he could not justify to himself the breaking of their agreement now.

They had stood there for some minutes when she arrived, exactly on time. She had come to be exceedingly punctual. The young human smiled when she saw them, and her eyes quickly darted over to the pile of metal and fibres that sat to Vul's side. Before she could give more than a quick greeting, Meta Knight stepped forward and began to speak.

"By the power invested in me by my own master, who in turn had power invested in him by his master in an unbroken chain going back to times beyond the veil of history, and by the weight of your own accomplishments in your period as my apprentice, I wish to give you the status you have earned. Although the time of formal ceremony is long gone, I still wish to make a few points clear.

"First, your name. You came to us from outside our dimension, and as a human the exoskeleton of your armor will be of immense importance to you. From these facts, I grant you the new title of Exoa Knight to wear with pride and honor. May it in time strike fear into the hearts of your enemies and kindle resolve in the hearts of your allies." Sophia's smile remained as broad as ever as he reached up with his sword and swiftly tapped her once on each shoulder. Her expression shifted to one of shock as he then spun the blade around in his hand and offered its hilt up to her.

"This is Dominar, the Master Sword," he explained. "I have used it, as has Kirby, as have all those who came before me. It is the sword all knights are gifted upon their graduation, to use until they find a weapon of their own, to hold until they find a worthy pupil of their very own. I have been prepared to give it up for some time now. I'm glad I finally found someone I know will put it to good use."

Exoa Knight reached out carefully, gently brushing the handle before seizing it tightly and plucking it from Meta Knight's unresisting grasp. In a flash, she took half a step back and adopted a textbook fighting post, sword at the ready. A look of concentration crossed her face, and he knew the faint tug she was experiencing. After a moment, the sword erupted into crackling flames, which he felt for the first time in a long while but knew would not push her temperature above a comfortable, gentle warmth. Her smile remained, but narrowed and took on a sharp edge of its own. "Okay, now this is pretty awesome," she said, unable to keep the appreciation out of her voice.

"It has not been required for many generations, but you can now swear your personal knightly oath if you so choose," Meta Knight added. At that, Sophia's smile turned into a thin frown as she considered things, before dropping her combat stance and shrugging.

"I'm not great with words. I guess I'll just say that I'm gonna kick ass, fight bad guys, and help people. I'll make the world a better place one step at a time."

Meta Knight smiled beneath his mask. "That's a fine oath indeed. Captain Vul, if you would?" He gestured towards the pile of equipment. It was the captain's turn to smile as he stood up even straighter than he'd already been standing.

"Alright, listen up! As Lord Meta Knight said, you'll need a suit of armor to keep you safe, being a human and all. Luckily for you, I happen to have made just the thing! Hyperalloy outer plating, flexible and durable, overlapping plates arranged for maximum mobility and minimum gaps. Inner fibre layer, single piece, contracts and expands with your motions to enhance your strength and provide a second line of defense with no gaps. And of course every knight needs a mask and wings." At that last line, Sailor Dee waddled over and picked up the cloak lying on the ground, then went over to Sophia and jumped up to attach it to her shoulders.

"It responds to your thoughts and transforms," the sailor explained earnestly.

With that, the cape shifted, split apart, and hardened into a pair of bat-like wings. They reared back, and flapped, sending her up into the air. Sophia hung motionless for a moment at the peak of her ascent, and then the wings flapped again, and then again, sending her higher and higher. Then she began to angle them, and darted around the sky above them, flitting to and fro with yelps of joy. After a minute or so of enjoying her newfound flight, she came to a halt, swooping down and landing before them with a flourish, wings reforming into a cape.

"Of course, we'll repair your armour and resize it if you ever get bigger, which I understand you humans do from time to time. And it's also yours to customize if you want your own look-" Vul said before being interrupted.

"It's perfect as it is," Sophia said, before thrusting Dominar skyward and setting it alight. "I won't let any of you down!"

"...so yeah, that's basically all the stuff I never really told you. Kind of a lot of secrets, right?" Exoa Knight said. She was in full battledress, albeit with her hood down, and her sword and mask placed by her sides. She sat to his left on the edge of the cliff they were on, legs dangling into space. For his part, Meta Knight hummed in thought as he stood impassive, cloak wrapped around his body.

"Hidden feelings are a particularly dangerous kind of secret, more for the secret-holder than others," he mused. "But I am glad that you're feeling better. You should know that I have indeed always been proud of you, my pupil."

She smiled faintly and nodded. "Right. But I've gotta ask, now that I've actually thought about it, why did you take me on, really? Because of the whole thing with the sword, can't you only take one pupil?" He nodded in turn. "Okay, but then, why me? At first, I was too happy to really care, then I was too occupied with my whole… death march thing, or whatever you wanna call it. But was I really your best option? I'm not even from this universe."

"When I first saw you, I beheld great potential for a warrior and hero. You needed only a push to bring that potential out to the surface, and I felt it would be right to give that push. Although I cannot take sole credit. Your own will to improve was great, and from what you said just now I understand your other friends did their own part in setting you on the correct path," he replied calmly. It was the truth, and he felt the truth was what she wanted to hear.

"Huh," she said before pausing for a moment, idly cocking her head to one side in thought. "I guess that makes sense. Thanks, seriously. It's been a long fucking road for sure, there's still shit I wanna do, and I'm still not exactly where I want to be, but I'm glad I'm here. Literally right here and, you know, generally here."

They sat there in silence for a few more moments before Sophia stretched her arms out and rolled her head back, preparing to stand. "Well, I think I should go. I'm planning to show the flag in the Docks for a couple of hours before dinner. Mom wants to take me along to Thalia's first movie this evening, since she's old enough for it now and not a crier. I don't really need to go out as much now that Coil and the Empire are pretty much gone, but I should still-" She paused mid-sentence before snapping her fingers.

"Shit! I didn't even tell you about that, did I?" she said, wincing apologetically.

"There's always next time," Meta Knight replied, unable to keep amusement from his voice. "I'm in no rush."

"I mean, yeah, but it's been over two weeks since everything went down! I wanted to come talk to you sooner, but it turned out there was way more stuff to catch up on in terms of talking to friends than I figured. I can't just leave out the best stuff now that I'm finally here." Sophia was waving her right arm around wildly while leaning on her left to give herself more space for gesticulation.

"So, Coil's not really down, but he's left the city with a few minor villains. Guess he wanted to cut his losses now that we were onto him. Hasn't tried to leave the country, though. I pretty much just heard about his forces popping up again in Boston, which is a nearby city. Looks like he's working with a group called the Ambassadors. Hoping for safety in numbers, probably. For the Empire, it took a week or so to get the information confirmed and everyone in place, then pretty much everyone hit them at once. PRT, FBI, every hero in the city and a couple of nearby ones. Technically even the police, not that anyone else trusted them much. I took down Othala and Victor at their house personally, and we swept most of the rest except the really low-level members, Krieg, and Hookwolf's crew.

"Krieg skipped town, seems to have dragged Night and Fog with him from where they were in Boston, we don't know where they are now. Hookwolf tried to stage a breakout after feeling the pressure, but that didn't go well for them. I duelled Cricket, obviously I won, and Armsmaster used a new weapon to take down Hookwolf. He and Kaiser are in the Birdcage, the rest are in lockup. Everyone's pretty pleased with themselves, it's not every day that you take down an entire major villain group. Coil may have been fucking vile, but he did an amazing thing when he collected that information. And since the PRT announced where the info came from, most of the heat should land on him rather than them. He's around, free and probably still stupidly rich, but the clock's ticking." By the end, her smile had grown into an enormous grin, and Meta Knight couldn't help but feel pleased by both her success and her very apparent satisfaction.

"It sounds like your victory was grand and absolute," he said.

"Hell yeah it was," Sophia said. She closed her eyes and continued to smile, doubtlessly reliving her successes, when a shadow passed over them, causing her eyes to snap back open. Similarly, both of their wings spread out in an instant, and they looked up at the cause.

"Oh what the fuck is that?" An enormous sphere of metal, easily large enough to be the planet's moon, hovered above them. Legs stretched out from its perimeter, went over their heads, and dug into the ground elsewhere, causing the ground to quake as they did. Tracing back from where they penetrated to the core, Meta Knight gained an understanding of the scale. It wasn't just enormous, but large enough to almost mimic being Planet Popstar's twin.

Both of them were on their feet now, swords strapped to their sides as Exoa Knight pulled on her hood and mask. When she next spoke, her voice was distorted once more. "Right, I'll go kick Kirby awake, since you know he somehow managed to sleep through that and I think you'll need him for this one."

"I will rally the Halberd and launch a frontal assault on the machine's underside," Meta Knight curtly replied.

"Alright, well, good luck with that. You'll need it," Exoa Knight said in return, a thin rod extending from her left gauntlet to call forth a Warp Star. "Anyway, I'll leave you to it. Everything should be back to normal by tomorrow, right?"

Meta Knight took a moment to feel pride in his student, standing tall, resolute, and ready to help however she could, even in this dire moment. He was reassured then that he'd made the right choice; not that he had ever really doubted. "So goes my hope," he answered.

With that, his dimensional cape furled up around him, and he shot off into the sky, teleporting away. Once more into the fray.

Back