Knight of the Night (Worm/Kirby)

Created
Status
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

Exoa Knight is a seemingly tireless independent hero of Brockton Bay, patrolling the skies and streets with wing and sword. But they're also alone and isolated in their civilian identity as a student of Winslow High School as a consequence of their endless nighttime work.

Perhaps the only thing keeping her sane is her unique power that lets her access another dimension of wonder and friendship and a certain pink puffball.
Chapter 1
The night sky of the Bay was filled with so much pollution that you couldn't really see the stars. I didn't mind though. The stars were a lot less interesting when you'd been to some of them.

It meant that it was fairly dark up on the city's rooftops, especially in the more run-down areas, but I didn't mind that either. My armoured mask had an in-built low-light vision mode that let me see as clearly at night as I could in the day. Right now, it was letting me see Oni Lee get away from me. The villainous clone-teleporter was trying to lead me around the city, get me tired, and then strike when I least expected it. I was a good runner, but I wasn't faster than teleportation.

My armour let me leap from building to building smoothly, cape billowing behind me and sword fixed at my side as I planned my next move. Continuing to play into his hands wouldn't work out, but I knew from experience it was tough to corner him when he wanted to give you the runaround. I had to wait for the right moment, or all these minutes of chasing and hours of patrolling might be for nothing.

I wasn't sure if it was the right moment, but the moment when my hand was forced happened sooner rather than later. There was a large gap between buildings which he could cross pretty easily but I couldn't, even with my enhanced jumps. Still, I wasn't about to let Oni Lee off the hook that easily. I leapt off the building I was on and began to plummet well before I reached the other one. I wasn't sure how well my shock absorbers would protect me from the fall, but I didn't have to find out.

My cape reacted to my will, splitting in half across an invisible seam and throwing itself wide, twisting and shaping itself before hardening into something almost like leather, all in less than a second. I even felt lighter as the tech within did its invisible work. The newly formed pair of bat-like wings tensed, folding back, before giving a single powerful flap that propelled me up and forwards, letting me shoot past the lip of the roof and sailing over Oni Lee, or at least where Oni Lee was a few seconds ago. He hadn't waited around for me, instead moving on to another building. I had to strike quickly now that I was airborne if I was going to do this at all.

A few more wingbeats sent me sailing well ahead of him, and I glided down to a rooftop where he wasn't yet but was going to be if he didn't change directions. He could try to avoid me, but now that I was ahead of him it was trickier, and he wasn't getting any less tired either.

Finally, I got what I'd been waiting for. Oni Lee overextended by teleporting to my immediate left, trying to take me by surprise. It almost worked, but unfortunately for him that meant I could get to grips with his current self. A knife flashed out, searching for the vulnerable joints in my armour, but I was already shifting to block and counter, letting the blade harmlessly scrape across my outer plating as I jabbed hard at his torso. The punch connected, metal gauntlets slamming into flesh, and he almost doubled over. Another thought, and one of the lights on the outside of my sheathe turned from green to red as I grabbed the sword while the electromagnets keeping it locked in place deactivated. I swung the heavy blade around, still in its sheathe, and slammed it hard into his side, throwing him off his feet.

I immediately moved to follow up, rushing down to try and cover his eyes, but he wasn't nearly dazed enough for that to work. He snapped his head over towards the next building in line, and by the time I could obscure his vision there was a recovering masked figure on it, and one just in sight on the building after that. I grimaced and stood back up, watching as the left behind clone looked up at me with its last seconds of life.

"Sorry, Exoa Knight." It said in a mocking tone. "Better luck next time, perhaps?" Before I could reply, it exploded into carbon ash.

"Shit!" I kicked the pile of dust into the breeze as if it would somehow help. I'd hurt him, but the gang member would be back on his feet within days, and probably fully healed within weeks. All I'd done was won another inconclusive skirmish, the kind that was dime a dozen and barely made the news in Brockton Bay. Couldn't even take down a villain while on the hunt, some hero I was. It also didn't make me feel much better to know that the other capes in the city weren't any different there.

Of course, I had a bigger problem than Oni Lee escaping. I'd encountered him while he was screening Azn Bad Boy territory against intruders. I knew heroes liked to do show the flag missions, but villains generally only moved when something was actually going down. And there was only one person in the ABB that could make one of the gang's precious few parahumans run patrols.

Lung was on the move tonight. I didn't know where and I didn't know why, but I was sure he was on the move. Part of me wanted to find him and remind him that even an apex predator wasn't invincible, but I crushed that part under cold discipline. I might be able to fight Lung from a standing start, at least on a good day, but chances were if I found him at all it would be well after any fighting was underway, and at that point I was probably screwed. His power to both regenerate and get bigger and stronger as he fought was hard to deal with, since if you didn't beat him right away you probably weren't beating him at all. No, Lung wouldn't stop being a problem overnight. It was better to take the win, go home, and rest for my next night of patrolling. If I was going to clean up this city, it would have to be a cross country race, not a sprint. I'd learned that a long time ago, but I still had to remind myself of it almost every day. I was naturally aggressive, and had only toned that down through hard training.

Besides, the night hadn't been bad otherwise. Before I found Oni Lee checking the streets, I'd stopped an ABB breaking and entering and called in a small Merchants drug cache. It had actually been surprisingly eventful, since usually I was stuck with only one or two notable pickups. On some unlucky days I got nothing at all.

With a practiced flick of my eyes, the integrated phone system called the PRT's main line as I put my sword back to the left side of my waist and reengaged the magnetic locks. I may have kept some distance from them, but I made sure to stay close enough to the city's Parahuman Response Team that they'd always take my messages seriously.

"PRT-ENE. Exoa Knight, is that you?" Looked like Abby was on call tonight, going by the particular professional female voice I was hearing.

"Yeah, it's me." My voice sounded normal enough to me, but I knew that the modulator would make it come off as deeper and slightly distorted to anyone on the other end of a communications line or the other side of my mask. "I wanted to call in a fight with Oni Lee. No capture, but he was out on a screening mission, and I'm sure that means Lung's gonna start some shit pretty soon. Just felt you should know."

"Yes, well." There was a pause over the line, and I heard some typing as she looked something up. "I can tell you that we know already. Armsmaster is on his way." That was okay, I supposed. Armsmaster was the head of the Protectorate East-North-East, and one of the most capable heroes in the city. If anyone local could stop a rampaging Lung it was probably him. "Do you know where you are?"

I did, but only roughly. "West side of the Docks, kinda near Captain's Hill." I replied, getting a second pause in return.

"Oni Lee must have been leading you away. Lung's reported to be at basically the opposite end of the Docks, sorry." I cursed again, this time under my breath. I could fly pretty fast when I pushed myself, so if I really wanted to I could probably make it there before the fight was over, but that still left the problem that I probably couldn't stop him when he went full dragon. Not even if I had Armsmaster there to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Much less importantly, it was already well after midnight and I had school tomorrow. Much as I'd like to pull some more hours, I knew from painful experience that a lack of sleep would just make me that much less capable tomorrow evening. I guessed I had to call it a night there.

"Thanks Abby." I hung up on her just after she managed to squeeze in a hasty 'good night'.

My wings curled, and once again sent my skyward. I flew over my city, doing the odd twist, turn and spin along the way, partially to throw off anyone watching but mostly just for the hell of it. Over the next few minutes I slowly closed in on my house, using a zig-zag pattern and gliding low to the ground to try and ensure that nobody could hope to follow my path accurately. The adrenaline from the earlier fight began to wear off, and I slowly felt every second of action. I probably wouldn't get to sleep until one at the earliest, and I had to be up by eight at the latest. Just another day in the life.

I arrived and made sure no one was on the street looking up. I flew up to my bedroom window that I'd left open earlier and silently entered, carefully squeezing through and shutting it tightly shut behind me. My wings finally dropped and reformed into their normal state of a heavy, floor-length fabric cape. Then, for the second time today, I closed my eyes and drew upon my power. Several seconds passed as I continually wished to be somewhere else. To be in another world entirely.

I felt a lurch in my stomach and knew my power had obliged. I opened my eyes, and sure enough I was in a dark metal room with a simple lightstrip in the ceiling. I always found it kind of funny that I'd arrived in a world of magic and wonder but ended up in a dark ship berth. Still, it was my berth.

As far as I could tell, my power was completely unlike any other in the world. It didn't really fit into any of the PRT's twelve power classifications, and what I'd found with it broke how I thought the world worked. How anyone thought the world worked, actually. Transportation to another entire universe wasn't unheard of, Professor Haywire had accomplished that more than twenty years ago, but he achieved that through advanced technology rather than directly through a power. Plus, the worlds he found like Earth Aleph were just various Earths that used the same laws of physics as my own Earth Bet. As far as everyone but me knew, reality was an interdimensional constant.

The way it worked was that if I got several seconds of uninterrupted focus, I could move between my normal dimension and this place I called the Other World. As far as I could tell, this was just an entire universe that only I had access to, that was compatible with humans but had some really weird stuff in it. Unfortunately, there was a lot of limitations on what I could do with the power. One of those limitations, although it was more useful than not, was that I appeared where I was last standing when I transferred one way or the other. I couldn't move in one dimension to move in another, but it meant wherever I went I could be guaranteed to come back to a safe place here.

My power hadn't been immediately useful to me. I was pretty sure even Tinkers and their need to gather materials and manufacture gear had to jump through less hoops than me to get something usable. Still, as my equipment showed, it had turned out to be very helpful in the end.

Two aliens were sitting on the nearby too-small bed, amiably chatting with each other. They were Waddle Dees, not-quite spherical balls with tiny feet and nubs for hands that came up to about my waist. They were mostly orange, but their 'face' was more of a white-cream color, broken up only by a pair of small blush spots and two dark, oval eyes. I still didn't know how they could talk or eat, or how they took as much punishment as they could. This duo were only slightly startled at my sudden appearance, quickly leaping down and attending me. Swiftly and efficiently, they helped me take off my plate armour, starting by taking the sword from my side as I unclasped the cape from my shoulders. Gauntlets, boots, greaves, knee and elbow pads, cuirass, bulky shoulder pauldrons one of which held a highly stylized E, and all the rest of it. It was only about a minute before I was stripped down to the powered undersuit, which pulled double duty as strength enhancer and last line of defense.

"So, how'd it go?" One asked.

"Poorly." I replied. They made vague noises of sympathy before moving to help me out of the undersuit.

Then the part at the end of every mission that I didn't look forward to. I clicked off the clamps keeping my mask attached to my face, and let it fall off into one of my hands while the other pulled down the hood that covered the rest of my head. I spun the mask around, looking at its blank expression, a silver-gray oval of metal cut only by a straight, horizontal area of black plastic over my eyes. I knew that in use the mask had yet another piece of tech to project a pair of small yellow ovals over where my eyes were looking. That part was my idea. I wanted to better imitate my mentor. Then I tossed it next to the large pile of metal on the cot. I could get back to it tomorrow. Then I shimmied out of the last part of the armour, and was left just in tightly fitting track clothes. There was no really good way to get around wearing multiple layers like this if you weren't an official hero or part of New Wave and its lack of secret identities, so you got used to it.

"Oh, before you go back!" The other exclaimed, jumping back up and grabbing a small envelope before turning around and triumphantly presenting it to me. "Ta-da!"

I grabbed it and turned it around, looking at the back. It was a letter addressed to me from 'Ado~!', no surprise there. I knew some fairly energetic people, but even Victoria's level of impulsiveness and sheer joy of living paled in comparison to Adeleine's. Based on the last couple, it was probably more talk about how her college education was going and another sappy speech about friendship. I felt a twinge of guilt at the fact I hadn't written back for a few months, but I never really knew what to say to her. We were just living in different worlds, both figuratively and literally. I resolved to send a letter her way the next time something interesting happened to me, I owed her that much. Hell, I owed her a lot more than that.

I closed my eyes again and let the seconds pass, at once perfectly focused and with an empty head. Another lurch, and I was back in my room. I put the letter on my desk and crawled into bed, too tired to do much of anything else. Just another day in the life of Exoa Knight.

Of course, without the mask or armour on, I wasn't really Exoa Knight anymore. I was just Sophia Hess.

A potentially non asshole Sophia how fascinating. Will she be acquainted with the Pink Terror yet?

Last edited:
Chapter 2
I woke up the next morning like I had for the last year and a half, dead tired but unwilling to let that stop me. I got out of bed, stripped off last night's clothes, and got dressed in a simple t-shirt and jeans. As I did, I tried to remember the last time I took a shower. Saturday morning, wasn't it? And now it was April 11th, a Monday. That was maybe excusable if I hadn't done much to work up a sweat, but that was the exact opposite of what had happened. I resolved to try and have one this afternoon before I headed out again.

As I went downstairs, I saw that mom had already left with my sister. She'd drop little Thalia off at preschool and then head to work. That was no surprise, we'd grown distant over the years. I don't think I'd ever admit it out loud, but I was jealous of most of my friends, at least on this planet, who were all much closer to their parents or parent. Their family lives weren't perfect or anything, but they at least had a parent each they could actually talk to and lean on. I could always go to my mentor for advice, but he was an entire world away from my problems, and I never felt fully comfortable around him. It's because I knew he had much better things to do than talk to me any more than he already had.

I was fine just having myself and my sword. It was probably better for everyone this way, and I liked the focus the lone wolf stuff gave me. I guess it was just the idea of knowing someone wanted to be there for you.

I made myself some toast for breakfast, then grabbed my bag, my phone, a cereal bar to eat on the way to school, and a good amount of cash. With that, I was off, walking at a steady pace towards Winslow High School.

Patience and discipline were absolutely invaluable in fights, but I'd learned they were pretty useful in school too. I wasn't the smartest or most academically inclined, but I'd gotten through high school so far with almost flying colors just by listening attentively and letting the minutes go by, safe in the knowledge that time was still moving forward. I dutifully sat through homeroom and my first two classes with nothing out of the ordinary really happening. People outside of my tiny friend circle, if you could call two girls and most of the school track team a full circle, kind of ignored me. I was the weird loner who was clearly constantly on edge and sometimes smelled a bit funny. I was, when you thought about it, a bit of a loser, saved mostly by being friends with the most popular girl in the school and by being the most athletic person around. That meant that the last thing anyone wanted to do was start something with me, since they weren't sure if they should be more scared of their reputation being sent down the drain or of being beaten up. But at the same time, it meant very few people got close to me either physically or emotionally. Even to my fellow jocks I was more of a good acquaintance and source of sage advice than a friend.

My teachers weren't much different. I didn't cause trouble during class, I handed in all my work on time and it was done to a good standard, and I made sure to answer a question or head a presentation here and there. I wasn't quite a model student, but I was an ideal one. No input, all output. You couldn't ask for someone more convenient to teach.

Quarter to twelve hit, and it was off to lunch. Basically the only part of the school day I consistently gave a damn about. I headed down to the lunch hall straight away, quietly shifting through the students coming and going like I was a ghost. I figured I probably soon would be. Considering how aggressive and isolated I was in costume, I couldn't possibly have more than maybe four years until I pissed off Lung or Kaiser one too many times and ended a patrol dead in an alleyway. I'd already made my peace with that, for a few months now.

Once I arrived, I spent a small amount of my cash to buy food at the cafeteria, then headed over to the table near the middle with a seat already set aside for me and a pair of schoolgirls chatting excitedly. I just got out my phone and sat down, acting like a third wheel as always. Emma and Taylor had been best friends for basically ever, the kind that called each other BFFs or besties and meant it wholeheartedly. I honestly liked Taylor, I respected her resilience and intuition, but I was only friends with her because I was friends with Emma and you just couldn't be true friends with one without being at least a bit of a friend with the other. That's how it worked with them. And I was only friends with Emma because of an uncomfortable incident a couple of years ago that saw me get stabbed in the middle of it. Because of that I didn't like to think about it if I could avoid it.

They used to be practically joined at the hip, but time in Winslow had led them to developing their own friends and interests slightly away from each other, which I honestly felt was for the best. Still, I couldn't think of anything that would permanently drive a real wedge between the two.

They acknowledged me and tried to include me in their ongoing conversation about some TV show I didn't watch, but saw how intently I was looking at my phone and quickly fell silent. The moment it finished turning on I went to immediately check the news. I skipped looking at Parahumans Online, as while the inevitably filtered info and intense speculation could be useful, it was also a distraction. And if I was right about this, I shouldn't have to look in a specialist space.

Sure enough, most local news sites and even some regional and national ones were reporting on last night's events. I didn't even rate a mention except in one line as a sidenote. No, the main thing was that Lung had moved out with a small force of ABB gangsters to seemingly outright kill the Undersiders. Shots were fired from both sides, leading to several gang members taking fairly serious injuries, but the small-time heist crew got out seemingly unscathed. I wasn't actually surprised by that. I'd had the pleasure of getting to tangle with them in the past, if only twice, and they were better than I thought most people suspected. The three-parahuman team of Tattletale, Regent, and Hellhound had mobility, firepower, disruption, and worst of all a powerful Thinker at their head. They didn't sound too bad on paper but were a nightmare to actually pin down, and even if you did you might still get your ass kicked. By my reckoning, in my two fights with them I'd disrupted their robbery in one and accomplished nothing but annoying them in the other. Both times they'd made a clean getaway.

Still, that didn't mean they could just get around dealing with Lung. In fact, they weren't even mentioned in some of the headlines. No, the focus was on a big fight between Lung and Armsmaster that had escalated and damaged some of the city. Considering he'd already been trying to fight the Undersiders by the time Armsmaster showed up, it was no surprise that Lung took the win last night. The fight didn't go that long before Armsmaster withdrew, but it was enough time for the other villains to make their escape.

And there was something about it that just didn't sit right with me.

After a minute or so of total quiet, I turned my phone around to them. "I don't like this. Tell me, why don't I like this? Not a trick question." I let Emma pluck my phone from my fingers and look at the article in more detail.

She was stumped. She spent several seconds skimming it before giving up and shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know, is it because the bad guys all got away?"

I paused and shook my head. I didn't love that, of course, but it was how things were. I was used to it by this point if nothing else. Whatever was bugging me had to be some other part of it. Emma dutifully handed the phone over to Taylor, who intensely scrutinized the article.

I thought about the pair as we waited for Taylor to figure it out for us. On the surface, it seemed like they couldn't be more different. Emma Barnes was all curves and style, red-headed queen bee of the school and loving every minute of it. She'd once made the mistake of telling us that she specially set lunch aside away from her other friends and hangers on for us, and we'd jokingly mocked her for weeks, treating her as if she was a celebrity or some kind of royalty. By contrast, Taylor Hebert was far from unattractive, but she was distinctly gangly, with a pair of glasses and long black hair, not to mention the fact she was an absolute nerd and a geek. She wasn't a genius or anything, but she was definitely smarter than me or Emma, and it wasn't just at math and computers. She had a mind like a steel trap when she really tried. She could read the cape scene almost as well as me, and I actually lived it. Sure enough, she had the answer I was searching for.

"Is it because there was a lot of fighting going on, but nothing really came of it? Like it was kind of a waste of time?" She cautiously suggested.

I pumped the air with one fist and said maybe a little too loudly "YES! Oh my god, thank you Taylor." I took back my phone and switched it off before dumping it in my pocket. I'd fought an inconclusive skirmish last night, and that had turned out to just be a sideshow to a different inconclusive skirmish. It frustrated me that the last several months had just been a stalemate where nothing seriously moved one way or the other. Where the drug dealers and literal Neo-Nazis were both free to roam the streets while capes were busy fighting meaningless battles.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be too ungrateful about that. A stalemate was better than losing. Fights like that could have pretty serious consequences, and not just for the villains. Everyone getting away fine, discounting goons, was much better than a villain, probably Lung, seriously wounding or even killing Armsmaster. For a hero, especially a high-ranking one like him, wounds were a pretty temporary problem, but he couldn't exactly come back from death. Not only would it have been a blow to morale, it would have taken out one of the city's best fighters.

"Why does it matter?" Emma asked. "That kind of cape stuff doesn't actually matter to us. I think it's kinda stupid to care so much about it." Unlike me or Taylor, Emma wasn't a cape geek. She cared about the city's gang situation, but for a few reasons was far more concerned about the front line normal members than their superhuman overlords. The irony of that situation was that she knew, or at least strongly suspected, I was Exoa Knight, while Taylor probably didn't have a clue. Of course, in this particular case she was just spouting nonsense.

"It matters because if things go sideways up there it'll start to affect us down here." I said. "Think about it, Emma. If Lung gets captured, what happens?"

"I dunno." She shrugged. "He gets sent off to prison, or gets broken out maybe?"

"Right, because the ABB have to at least try and get him out, but how do you think they'll do that with who they have left?" I pointed out.

Emma stared at me with a completely blank expression until Taylor took over for her. "Bakuda just joined them recently. She does bombs, so she would probably set off a bunch of explosive devices."

"Close." I considered going into more detail, but decided against it. I liked to keep my secret identity as close to my chest as possible, and I couldn't give too much of a firsthand read on Bakuda anyway since I hadn't actually fought her yet. "I don't actually know what she'd do but it's probably something like that. And if the city's suddenly under a bomb threat, you'd better believe that would affect us."

"And there's what would happen if he stays caught." Taylor added. I nodded in agreement. Probably the Empire 88 and the Merchants gain more strength by filling the power vacuum, and the minor villains get emboldened and try to get in on the scavenging. Nothing I loved. The Empire 88 especially, as the other truly powerful gang in the city they'd become the dominant player in the underworld if the ABB vanished, and as a black teenage girl I wasn't exactly their favorite kind of person. They didn't like Exoa Knight much either.

I could tell Emma had some more thoughts on this that she wasn't telling us, but whatever they were she kept them to herself. Instead, we shifted back to eating and talking about more normal things. Emma and Taylor talked a bit more about their show, Emma and I talked about how fashionable sportswear could and should be, and Taylor and I talked about the midterm art project we'd both handed in at the end of last week. It was almost like we were just a normal group of friends for a bit. I mentally thanked them both for making the attempt. They'd always tried to cheer me up whenever they saw me ever since I started 'falling apart' a few months back and refused to talk about it. The truth, of course, was that Canberra had happened and in the aftermath I'd resolved to try even harder to be a hero and help my city, which just led to the fragile illusion of a relatively normal life I'd built breaking. And to add insult to injury it hadn't even helped my hero efforts that much.

I wasn't even able to commit to it properly. I'd considered making a clean break from my school and my family, living full time in the Other World and only making dives back here to patrol. I could fit in way more hours of actual work if I did that, but the painful truth was that I was almost certain I'd miss other people, especially these two, too much. It was selfish of me to cut back on saving people to talk with friends and get an education I probably wouldn't ever get the chance to use. I knew that and I wouldn't pretend otherwise, at least to myself, but I kept up the pretense that Exoa Knight was a selfless hero of the people anyway. It was maybe a bit pathetic, but I didn't want anyone to find out that was all a lie. I just didn't.

But all too soon, lunch hour was over, and I tightly repressed all those thoughts. I could come back to them at another time and place. For now, I was here to finish my afternoon classes.

The school day ended as uneventfully as it had started for me. I didn't have any track stuff today, so I could get straight on to the next item of business. Before I could go home and have that shower I'd promised myself, there was something I had to do. Part of my routine that happened every Monday afternoon.

As I walked away from the school, I finally let my guard down and had my thoughts drift. As they often did, they drifted back towards the very beginning of the new me, about four years ago now. I was completely alone, and panicking, and after I'd gotten my powers very confused.

I snatched my thoughts back to the present. I wasn't that scared little girl anymore, and the memories around that time were unpleasant. Your Trigger Event always was. Still, I had to admit it wasn't all bad. I met some good friends, including the most powerful living sphere in that or probably any universe.

Flashback 1
The projectile flew through the air in an almost perfect arc, avoided only with the help of rapid wingbeats. The return fire, however, ended up stopped cold by a shimmering, twisting line of colour simply hanging in midair.

"No fair!" Ribbon whined. "How come you get to use your paintbrush? That defeats the point!"

Adeleine sighed and shook her head. "The point of a snowball fight isn't that it's fair, Ribbon, it's just supposed to be some fun! And besides, you're small and can fly. It was already unfair before I did anything!"

The fairy dropped a bit and stuck her tongue out in the freezing air of Shiver Star before replying. "Well three of us are small, and three of us can fly, so you're the odd one out here, not me. Besides, even if I stopped flying, I'd still be small. I can't really do anything about that."

The artist snapped her paintbrush down and the aerial splotch of paint flowed back into it, vanishing from sight. "You know Ribbon, I don't actually need my art to have you shot out of the sky. I have something else I can do."

A mischievous grin crossed Ribbon's face as she darted around the air rapidly. "Oh yeah? Really, Ado? What's that?"

"Distract you." The flitting fairy stopped cold in midair, face a mask of visible confusion. Before she fully realized what her enemy had just said, a high-speed snowball sailed in from her left and hit dead on, sending her plummeting to the ground with a face full of snow. Adeleine and the culprit, Waddle Dee, erupted into laughter as the defeated, sodden fairy emerged from her crash site, snow sliding off her and a miserable expression on her face. Adeleine realized a second too late that neither of the other two members of their party were joining in when another snowball hit her straight in the back.

Full of feelings of shock and betrayal, she turned around to see King Dedede chuckling, resting on his hammer with one hand while tossing a fresh weapon up and down in his other. "Why me?" She asked, or more accurately whined.

"Simple!" The King of Dreamland exclaimed. "I couldn't hit Ribbon, because she'd just gotten hit, and it would be too nasty to hit her again. I couldn't hit my loyal subject, because he was my loyal subject. And I couldn't hit Kirby, because he's stopped playing to go stare at something. That only left you, and when you distracted yourself with Ribbon's fall, I struck!" He looked inordinately pleased with himself, but Adeleine was more curious about what he'd said about Kirby. She'd been distracted and missed the fact that his surprisingly keen eye had apparently noticed something far away. She turned to face him, and sure enough there he was, staring intently. She followed his gaze, and there was a small black shape in the distance that she couldn't quite make out. A shape she would swear hadn't been there when they'd started playing.

Dedede saw her worry and gaze, and stepped in again to reassure her, hefting his hammer and swaggering up to her side. "Well, way I saw it, you know Kirby. If he thought there was a chance it could be a threat or someone in danger, he'd already have told us and ran off to get a closer look. If he's just looking at it, it must mean that it's nothing important to us right now, so I felt safe ignoring it." Adeleine slowly nodded. The logic did check out, Kirby wasn't the kind to stand idly by under any circumstances. In fact, she knew that Kirby had both been tricked and done something stupid in the past because he was just too hotheaded.

She marched over to her canvas and easel, mixing together an even amount of red, blue, and yellow to create black, and began to paint. Her brush ran up and down across the surface, leaving behind full detail and texture despite only performing single passes. She may have been human, but she wasn't limited to human painting techniques. In mere seconds she was done. Laying down her brush and palette, she reached out and grabbed the pair of adjustable binoculars, bringing them into three dimensional space. Then she turned back towards the distant object, and raised them to her eyes.

Then she blinked, lowered the binoculars, shook her head, and looked through again as if they would somehow now show something different. Predictably, they didn't.

She passed them around in turn to each member of their party, also painting a smaller telescope for Ribbon to use instead. When they were all satisfied, Adeleine pushed the two viewing devices back onto her flat canvas and turned to the party.

"We have to go in and check this out." She said firmly.

"Poyo! Poyo poyo. Poyo?" Kirby asked curiously.

"No, I'm afraid I don't. I thought I was the last human in this galaxy. My people left generations ago, leaving only machines behind. Some of those machines might have been people-makers, but I was the only one who ever successfully decanted. I checked and everything before I shut them down and headed off-world. It's impossible that someone was born here after me, she couldn't have been left behind because of how long ago everyone left, and obviously they haven't come back here if there's only one lone person. I have no clue how another human is around."

"Well, looks like the only thing to do is ask her. She ought to know, right?" Dedede pointed out. Adeleine nodded, rolling up her canvas and collapsing down her easel, slinging it it all over her shoulder along with tightly strapping her brush and palette onto her back. Nobody else needed to grab anything, of course. With her ability to create supplies and shelter from thin air, or rather thin paint, they could afford to travel incredibly light. The King had his hammer, and everyone else had nothing at all, since the Crystal Shards all carried themselves.

"Let me talk to her first, okay?" Adeleine asked. "We don't know where she came from, but if it wasn't from around here then she could be disoriented, and not recognize anyone but another human. I don't want to spook her if she's already alone and frightened, and it didn't look like she was doing great through the binoculars."

"Poyo!" Kirby indignantly replied, frowning as he marched in front of her.

"Well Kirby, I think you can be really scary when you want to! And sometimes just normally, when you're in a fight." Waddle Dee pointed out.

"Poyo poyo!" Kirby frantically waved his arms around. "Poyo, poyo." His expression somehow became even more annoyed.

"That's true, but I think Adeleine is right." Dedede said, getting a glare for his trouble. He just shrugged. "If she doesn't know anything but other humans, which could be how it is, it's probably for the best that the first one she talks to is another human. And she might not even understand you. Your language is, uh, well..." He trailed off.

"A learned skill." Ribbon diplomatically finished.

The puffball sighed in defeat. "Poyo."

"Thanks, Kirby!" Adeleine beamed before setting out at the head of the group, resolutely marching towards the human in the distance.

She was only a few hundred meters away, so they reached her fairly quickly. Like Adeleine, she wore fairly baggy clothing, but that was were the similarities ended. Her clothes were dark, and so was her skin. That was normal though. Adeleine knew from her implanted memories that unlike some species, which only came in single forms, humans came in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, called 'races'.

Less normally, she was trying to make herself as small as possible by sitting on the ground, hugging her knees to her chest. It helped that she was smaller than Adeleine already. It looked to be an age differential. Adeleine knew that she was about sixteen Earth years, or sixteen orbits of what was now called Shiver Star around its sun, old. The girl looked to be instead maybe eleven years old. She was also visibly shivering, and Adeleine wasn't sure if it was the cold or something else.

The group slowed down as they made their final approach, reducing themselves to a slow walk. As they began to cross the last few meters, they were practically creeping, although they also ensured they were making plenty of noise so the stranger heard them. Sure enough, while they were still a bit away, she looked up at them with red, watery eyes.

"Hey." Adeleine said, softly and gently. "Can you understand what I'm saying?" A small nod. "Good. My name is Adeleine. Can you tell me if you're hurt or injured?" A small shake of the head. Adeleine paused, realizing her mistake. "Sorry, my bad, is that a no as in you physically can't tell me, or a no you're not injured? Nod for the first one, shake for the second one." Another head shake. "That's good, then. I won't pry into whatever's wrong, but I want you to know that if you want to speak to me about it, you can. You're among friends." She gave as warm of a smile as she could, and beckoned the others forward. They slowly, cautiously, crowded around her.

Then something unexpected happened. The girl turned to look at Kirby, and an expression of anger crossed her face. She shifted, and lashed out with a sharp kick. Unfortunately for her, the pink puffball hadn't fully dropped his guard, and defended himself with lightning speed. Before Adeleine had even registered any motion, he had shifted completely, and was now holding the strange human by the foot. Fortunately, Kirby knew how to use appropriate force on a human, otherwise Adeleine would be a red smear on the surface of Planet Popstar rather than here, so the hold was tight but not painful or damaging.

However, that didn't remove the shock of suddenly finding your leg in a vise-like grip. The girl screeched as she fell flat on her back, flailing wildly to try and get away, but it was futile. She may as well have been trying to escape the inevitability of linear time. In fact, she might have had more luck with that. Adeleine rushed over and used her greater strength and reach to take hold of the girl's arms, while Waddle Dee held down the other leg before it could manage to smack her somewhere. The struggling continued for a few seconds, but when it became clear that it was hopeless she stopped, merely doing her best to give everyone around her a death glare. Considering her age, it was really more adorable than threatening.

"Poyo-poyo, poyo." Kirby said, stating his thoughts and terms. Adeleine nodded in agreement. The girl clearly wasn't possessed by Dark Matter. While that would explain the random aggression, it didn't fit with how infectees usually acted, and someone possessed would be way stronger as well. This was something else.

"He says he'll let go of your leg if you promise not to try and kick him again. The rest of us will let go too." Adeleine said.

In response, the girl said her first word on this world in a quiet, bitter voice. "Fine." As promised, the three holding her down let go, and Adeleine helped the smaller girl to her feet, brushing off most of the snow on her back and rear.

"Can you tell me why you did that?" Adeleine asked.

Silently fuming, the girl looked down and stood silently for a moment before deciding to answer. "I was angry." She muttered. "I was just really angry. And then I saw that thing and it looked... stupid. Really stupid. And weak. So I tried to kick it." She turned her head away. "Sorry." She was now speaking at barely above a whisper.

Adeleine beamed and patted her on the shoulder. "Even if Kirby was those things, you should still have tried to be nice to him. You should always try to be, actually. You don't have to make friends with anyone you don't like, but you should show a minimum of respect to everyone," She lectured. "Unless they're evil and trying to hurt or kill you. Then you can make an exception, but only then! I understand that you've probably been through a lot, though. Why don't you tell me your name and how you got here?"

There was another pause before answering. "Sophia. Sophia Hess. And I don't know how I got here."

"Well, that's okay. But I should tell you, this place is dangerous if you're on your own. You should probably stick with us for now, okay? We'll keep you safe, I promise." Adeleine said, trying to stress the importance of this. She didn't want to force Sophia to do anything, but it really was dangerous. She absolutely shouldn't be left alone on the surface of Shiver Star, what with all the monsters around. They could hurt and knock around most things, but humans were exceptionally fragile. She could sustain serious injuries or even die.

Fortunately, instead of arguing against the idea, Sophia just gave a resigned nod. Adeleine's beaming smile managed to grow even wider.

"Great! Well, you've already met me and Kirby, and here are Waddle Dee, King Dedede, and Ribbon." She said, gesturing to each of the trio in turn.

"Hi." Sophia said, still not looking directly at them.

"If you're good to go, then let's be on our way!" Adeleine cheered. The others gave determined nods, as did Sophia, who was beginning to look slightly more sure of herself.

Last edited:
Chapter 3
As I got further from Winslow, I accelerated into a jog, letting muscle memory take over as I prepared to dash through a good portion of the city. It was less than an hour each way for me, but that still wasn't short. Being in peak physical health helped a lot with that, since I could pretty much go at this speed forever without so much as breaking a sweat. Most of that was just raw practice, but I wondered if my endurance also had something to do with my power. In the Other World, it was possible to do some weird things with enough training. Like Adeleine's art powers, and my ability to shoot energy beams by swinging sharp objects. Mind you, I kept that one to myself. Sword projectiles would probably remind people of Jack Slash, and that was the absolute last association I wanted people to make.

Regardless of the exact reason, the facts of what I could do remained, so I skipped on taking the bus to save just that slight extra bit of money, and for the additional exercise. Instead, I simply ran, making my way across now pretty familiar streets. I'd needed a map when I first started doing this, since the southeast end of downtown was pretty far from my usual stomping grounds of the docks. I came down here often enough as part of my patrols, but I mostly did that from the air or by rooftop, which was pretty different from having to actually walk on the pavement.

As the houses got nicer and the people got whiter, goddamn Empire, I approached my destination. An otherwise fairly nondescript apartment building, eight stories tall and made of stone and glass, but it had my target waiting out front, impatient and with arms folded. Wearing a fairly conventional t-shirt, jeans, and boots, loosely similar to my own outfit, Brian Laborn saw me and just glared. He was probably the one person in the city who could get away with doing that and not receiving a glare back, mostly because I still felt a tiny bit bad about our last fight.

If I said that out loud most people might think we were in a relationship of some kind and had gotten into an argument, but that wasn't right at all. Most people in this city would better know Brian by the name Grue, a small-time supervillain who had vanished under mysterious circumstances after an altercation with Exoa Knight in February of last year. It was that kind of fight, and I was fairly certain that a powered boot stomping down hard on your chest was very unpleasant.

I practically skidded to a halt in front of him, breathing normally, and tried my best to give him a smile despite everything. It faltered in the face of his glare and my continuing low-level exhaustion, though. I just gave him a sort of blank look, staring up at his broad-shouldered, dark-skinned, six-foot frame.

"Let's get this over with." He said, although it was more resigned than annoyed. We were the furthest thing from friends, but at this point he could put up with me pretty well, and certainly trusted me, while I actually respected him. I knew from his criminal days that he was professional, resourceful, and a mean fighter. Not mean enough to overcome my battle armour even with his own powers, but he'd come closer than many. Then again, that was when I was much less experienced. I had no clue how a real cape fight between us would go these days.

He opened the front door and went in ahead of me, leading me up to the fourth floor, although I knew the way by now. He efficiently marched to his apartment and opened that door up too. I followed in and took in everything.

The apartment was an interesting look into Brian as a person. It was a comparatively recent acquisition, extremely neat and tidy, almost zen-like, and I knew he put effort to keep it that way. I had some insight into his thought process for the place as recent as last week when he mentioned how he cleaned it up off-hand while we were putting up some bookshelves.

Strangely enough, the thing that most clashed with the decor was the garishly dressed young teenager sitting on the kitchen counter, kicking her legs. She brightened up as she saw us enter.

"Eyy, Sophia!" Aisha Laborn said, shooting a pair of finger-guns at me. This time, I did manage a tired smile. "So do I finally get to see you two make out or what?" That got an eye-roll from me and a sigh from Brian. Since it kind of looked suspicious to have a mysterious but attractive, or so I was told, teenage girl show up at your place every week like clockwork, she liked to joke maybe a bit too much that we were in a relationship. Still, it was better than the alternative of a mysterious teenage girl showing up every week like clockwork to hand over suspicious wads of cash. The former might be considered gossip-worthy, the latter could actually have people ask serious questions. We didn't love it, but we kept at it like this out of necessity.

Mind you, even if we were actually friends, we'd never get into any kind of romance simply because of how I ticked. I didn't feel physical or romantic attraction to other people, period. I couldn't remember if I ever felt those, but I for sure stopped after my first visit to the Other World. The only love I was capable of feeling was for my friends and family. Another thing that could either be just how I was or a strange consequence of my power. Either way, I didn't mind. It's not like I would have the time for a real relationship even if I did want one.

Instead of answering her, Brian turned to me expectantly. I let my bag fall from my shoulders, unzipping it and grabbing the money within. "Two hundred exactly." I handed the stack of notes over to him. Aisha hopped down and walked over expectantly, and I grabbed a single note and gave it to her. "And twenty for you." She grinned widely and threw an arm around my waist as I put my bag back on.

"See Brian, this is why I like Sophia. She's the cool big sister and you're the boring older brother." She needled him, and wasn't even dignified with a sigh this time. To protect my fellow cape's honour, I carefully wrapped my left arm around her shoulder and prepared my other hand to strike.

"Love you too, Aisha." I said, before moving like lightning. I shifted and tightened my grip to draw her in closer, turned left slightly so my right arm was closer, and began good-naturedly ruffling her hair. She tried to cringe away, but I was used to much more capable people trying much harder to escape. It was no use, and the ruffling continued.

"Gah, no! Bro, help me out here!" She half-spoke, half-laughed while I cackled.

"You chose your side." Brian said drily, although I glanced out of the corner of my eyes and saw him give a small smile. He had a nice, genial smile.

"Nooooooooooooo!" Aisha whined, squirming in my grip. After a few more seconds, I let her go and watched her scamper away and try to get her hair back into some semblance of order.

With the ice broken, we were all a lot more relaxed. I struck up some small talk with Brian, mostly about covering costs going forward. What had happened back in 2010 was that I cornered him after a small robbery and threatened to send him away with the PRT. He replied that he couldn't let that happen, and prepared to try and fight his way out, but that stuck with me. I asked him why not, one thing led to another, and before long we were talking about his situation. He used very loose terms, of course, he wasn't stupid, but the core sob story was there. He was only a supervillain for the money, because he had to get enough money to afford custody of his sibling, and get them away from their abusive father and neglectful mother. That struck a cord with me, and back then I'd actually been understanding of people. Maybe too understanding. Or maybe after more than a year of fighting and patrolling I'd just become jaded. I found myself buying his sob story wholeheartedly. So, I cut him a deal. He'd stop being a villain, and I'd get him the money he needed instead. If Grue ever resurfaced, I'd put a stop to him for good. Eventually, we became less mutually hostile, and after a couple of months mutually revealed our identities to each other. It was just way more convenient for the both of us that way. Actually, that would soon be exactly a year ago.

To our mutual surprise, it actually ended up working out. I wasn't being paid by anyone, but if you knew where to look you could make a reasonable amount of ethical money as a successful vigilante. Looting here and there from the occasional drug den and captured piece of Tinkertech. I kept a strict code about this, of course. I never actually stole money from individual criminals, only the gangs as collectives, among other rules. I was trying to be perceived as a hero, not just a rival villain with better PR. It was still enough. Brian and Aisha were actually by far my largest expense, since I bought very little for myself, my gear was maintained for free by my contacts in the Meta-Knights, and I didn't really have anything else to do with it either. I generally fed any leftovers into the Hess family bills to try and relieve some stress from mom, and also to corroborate my false story that I had to be out at night several days of the week because I had a part-time job working graveyard shift retail.

That alone would probably have struggled, but Brian had started finding work here and there after he was forced at swordpoint to quit being Grue, and between us we were just about able to make ends meet. Then we'd made the mistake of saying that in front of Aisha and the jokes about relationship and marriage intensified tenfold. I only had to put up with it for a bit, but I only saw her once a week. I had felt a lot of sympathy for Brian that day.

And of course, the struggle wasn't over yet. Although Aisha visited often enough, and these days coordinated her visits to meet me, she didn't actually live here yet. She still spent most of her time at the houses of her estranged parents. I knew that her caseworker would be inspecting this place a couple of weeks from now, so Brian was rushing to get everything in place for that. A large part of that was getting furniture moved in, assembled, or both. I had helped a bit with that in the past, but right now I was running tight on time. I didn't tell my mom about any of this, so I kind of had to be back before she did, but on top of that today he was busy with what was going to be Aisha's bed, which was a bit trickier than most things, and I had to take that shower still. Probably also before mom got back.

"Well, I'll probably work something out." Brian said, giving a casual shrug. "I might be able to do it by myself, or since she's here Aisha could help." Aisha shot him the finger, so I didn't think she liked that idea. Then something came to me.

"Wait right here." I said, before marching off into the bathroom and locking the door behind me. I closed my eyes, focused, felt the lurch, and was in my room again. As always, a pair of Waddle Dees were lying around, this time sitting on the floor playing some kind of card game. Poker or something similar, it looked like. They turned to look at me.

"Oh, hi Lady Exoa Knight. You're here early." One said conversationally.

"If you're up for it, I'd like your help with something. Simple work, physical, but I won't be able to bring you back here until nighttime. You'll have to meet me behind my house at midnight. I'll pick you up then and there." The pair dropped their cards, narrowed their eyes, and gave determined nods. Waddle Dees were pretty much always willing to help you out unless they were busy themselves, usually for no charge, which was good since I had basically no Kingdom of Dreamland money. I'd used a couple of them as emergency reinforcements in the past when I had a long enough lead time before a fight, and wasn't expecting a too much of a running battle. They weren't amazing, but they were much better than nothing, and while you could knock them unconscious easily enough they were practically impossible to kill or even grievously injure, so I didn't have to worry about them.

Obviously, it would be much better to get Kirby himself, or Meta Knight, or even King Dedede, but whenever I tried to use my power with them in tow I got nothing but a bunch of pins and needles. It was annoying, not to mention the only reason I hadn't cleaned up the entire Bay by now.

I knelt down, and held hands with them. Well, my hands to their little nubs. I paused for several seconds once more, and was back on Earth Bet with residents of the Other World in tow. I stood back up, opened up the bathroom door, and stepped out to interest but not much surprise.

Aisha may have looked a bit like a vapid teenage girl, but she had a good intellect. Brian had told her at one point he had powers, she heard that I was coming and going, and from that successfully managed to piece together both of our secret identities. When she brought it up to us, Brian tried to deny it, but did such a bad job of it that I just flatly confessed.

Okay, maybe I also did it to see the look on his face.

"Waddle Dees, Brian and Aisha. Brian and Aisha, Waddle Dees." I introduced them to each other. "They can help you with whatever work around the house you need done for the rest of the day."

The pair snapped sharp salutes. These weren't normal villagers, but trained and disciplined members of the flying fortress Halberd's crew, hence why they were playing cards in one of its rooms. "Reporting for duty!" They said in sync.

For her part, Aisha approached curiously, got down on one knee, and poked one in the cheek, although it didn't stop its salute as she did so.

"You know, it's weird." She said. "Your power gives you really badass armour and wings and shit, but also these things that look like they should be children's stuffed toys. I don't get it." I tensed, but it was a fairly obvious observation. And I privately admitted to myself that if these two figured out there was more to my power than I was letting on, it wasn't the end of the world. I could trust them to keep a secret. I was already trusting them with my identity, after all. And a weird power wouldn't be the end of the world, since as Aisha just said it's weird from what they already knew.

I stayed for a few more minutes chatting with them and walking Brian through the surprisingly extensive list of what a Dee could do, as opposed to what a Doo could de, but soon enough I really did have to go. I said my goodbyes, walked out of the apartment building myself, and began jogging home. I just about made it and had a quick, warm shower before mom showed up. The rest of the afternoon dragged. I did some leftover homework, played with Thalia, ate dinner, and then headed out for 'work' at about seven. Once I'd wandered into a suitably abandoned alleyway, it was easy enough to shift over, suit up, and shift back. With my normal assistants off putting together beds and shelves, it took a few minutes overall, but still not that long.

But before I could begin to properly begin my evening, something else came up. It had been a hell of a day so far, between me getting a letter from Adeleine in the first hour of the morning, to meeting Taylor and Emma as usual, and then paying for Brian and Aisha's future later on. Now one of the last two human friends I had was calling me on my armour's phone, and I wondered where my life had gone wrong. When one of the city's most beloved and popular heroes called you personally out of the blue, I felt like you should be overjoyed. But I was just resigned to the fact that at least the first half of my night would be taken up trying to deal with the consequences coming from yet another of Victoria Dallon's Very Good Ideas.

Last edited:
This story is making me surprisingly happy. I was sure that all my preconceptions about Sophia would ruin this for me, but so far I'm enjoying it!

Should add more info in the tags so people that don't care for Hess (even if only Hess in name) know what they are getting in the story... Otherwise feels like scam/false advertising

Should add more info in the tags so people that don't care for Hess (even if only Hess in name) know what they are getting in the story... Otherwise feels like scam/false advertising
Two problems here:

1. First and foremost, I'm not sure there are any tags that clearly say "Sophia Hess" or even just "alternate protagonist." As I am not a subscriber I can't make new tags. So your suggestion is somewhat impossible.
2. Sure, I admit I played around with it by using the first person perspective to hide our heroine's identity for the first chapter, dropping hints instead. Not the only reason I used first person but a reason. I confess to my crimes. But I do spell it out with 100% clarity at the end of Chapter 1, so if you're that offended you can immediately hop off there and I haven't wasted too much of your time.

Sure, I admit I played around with it by using the first person perspective to hide our heroine's identity for the first chapter, dropping hints instead. Not the only reason I used first person but a reason. I confess to my crimes. But I do spell it out with 100% clarity at the end of Chapter 1, so if you're that offended you can immediately hop off there and I haven't wasted too much of your time
I liked the twist. Heroic Sophia's are always welcome in my book. She has a lot of potential as a character, too many people just use her as a plot device. Also Kirby.

I liked the twist. Heroic Sophia's are always welcome in my book. She has a lot of potential as a character, too many people just use her as a plot device. Also Kirby.
Right, but it's a fair point that others might not. People have preferences, after all. But I also think that one chapter is a reasonable length to play around in without deceiving people or anything. I didn't start with a massive infodump of flashbacks and hidden lore for a reason, after all, you have to let things play out to some degree.

To pull back the curtain a bit I briefly considered in planning on making the reveal be in early-mid Chapter 2 instead of the end of Chapter 1, but did feel that was taking the Mickey a little so decided to go with what you see before you now.

Chapter 4
As I watched Glory Girl descend from the skies, I couldn't help but think she reminded me of Kirby.

That sounded insane on the surface of it. One was an adorable little ball of roving suction and annihilation, the other was Brockton Bay's most photogenic superhero, and very much human. When the thought had first crossed my mind, I'd assumed it was Victoria trying to pull something over me with her secondary power, an aura that she could tune up or down that made people either in awe of her or terrified of her depending on if they had a good reason to be scared of her. As she'd always been an ally, I got the awe, and if there was one thing between my two worlds that I was outright in awe of it was the pink warrior who could probably reshape a mountain range with just his tiny fists.

But then I went away and thought about it more logically, and realized that if you looked below the surface level I was actually on to something. They weren't the same by any means, but there were parallels. Both were willful, actions over words, energetic, good-hearted heroes. I could easily see them getting along well over a shared love for peace and justice.

The problem was, as I later realized, that she also shared some of Kirby's flaws. She was willful, but that meant she was incredibly stubborn. She could usually be found rushing off into something without thinking it through. She wasn't quite so easily tricked as the guy who hand ultimate power to an evil mastermind twice, but replaced that with a maybe even worse flaw of her own. Kirby matched incredible power with an equally incredible degree of control. His fighting style was a work of art, seeing him move and strike so flawlessly and fluidly that when he was playing for keeps he never even got hit, and he never hurt anyone more than he had to in order to win. Glory Girl wasn't anywhere near as strong, but she still had a lot of power. More flight, speed, strength, and durability than my armor, to the point where she was one of the four Brockton parahumans that I wasn't sure I could defeat in a duel even if I held nothing back, along with Dauntless, Armsmaster, and Lung with a head start. Raw strength enough to easily kill a man, and I'd gathered from her sister that she'd nearly done so by accident more than once. She lacked the kind of self-control that Kirby or I had.

So when I could, I tried to encourage her not to do dumb shit. It had sort of worked. There was no one big incident where I got close with Victoria, we'd just sort of made friends over a year and a half of occasionally fighting together and less occasionally needing to go to her sister Panacea for healing after a battle went badly for me.

She sedately landed on the rooftop she'd asked me to meet her on, flashing me a bright smile. I stood impassively opposite her, arms folded, long cape billowing in the evening breeze.

"I'm glad you called." So I can keep you in check, I thought but didn't add. "You said something about wanting my help in an investigation?"

Her expression shifted to a more serious one as she nodded. Despite her bubbly enthusiasm, she knew when to turn up the professionalism. Again, familiar. "Yeah. I've been following up on a lead we got a while back. This obvious skinhead got let off on an assault charge thanks to missing evidence and weirdly good lawyers. Mom felt bad about not taking the case herself, looked into it, and figured he was a Triple-E lieutenant. Which means he's done some other stuff we can get him for. So, we collect some evidence, and mom thinks we're ready to make another case with a better chance of success. I get sent to make sure he doesn't try anything stupid, see him leave his place really suspiciously. I think he's going to some big Empire meeting and I want to get a bunch of birds with one stone."

That did explain things, but left one glaring question unanswered. "So why call me? You're in a team already. There's literally half a dozen people waiting to back you up." I suspected I knew the answer already, and felt vindicated when she turned her head down as if the rooftop was suddenly the most interesting thing in the world, having the good graces to look bashful.

"Well, you know..." She trailed off, but I stayed firm, letting the silence drag out until she explained herself. Eventually, she sighed in defeat and looked up. "The adults would probably think it's too dangerous, and Shielder and Laserdream aren't willing to go behind their parents' backs. But you get it, right? We have to take risks sometimes."

Half a dozen retorts came to mind, but I clamped down. It wouldn't be helpful right now, and I did agree with her. The fully cautious approach was to never take any major villains, or even any villains at all, into custody, and just let them run free. The underworld of any city was like an ecosystem in equilibrium. As long as nothing drastically changed, it was stable. But take a big player out of the picture, and what do you get? Feeding frenzy on their old territory, if they had any, and civilians would inevitably get caught in the crossfire. Obviously, absolutely nobody seriously believed that specifically was the right thing to do, but it demonstrated the point. You had to take chances if you wanted to change things for the better, and sometimes before they did things would get worse first. It was unpleasant, but necessary, especially for a city as close to the brink as the Bay.

"We do." I inclined my head. "But you know you're not gonna be able to hide this from them, right?"

Her expression returned to its usual upbeat self as she shrugged. "Well, you know, New Wave's all about accountability, right? And they're probably not gonna be too mad if I show up with more Empire creeps than they expected. If they want to punish me, that's fine." I had a mixed opinion on the group's no secret identity policy myself. It made you vulnerable if you didn't have something like Victoria's always-on skintight force field, as shown by poor Fleur, and I wasn't sure it was for me. The mask helped me separate out the parts of myself that were less controlled. It helped make me someone the city could almost look up to. I didn't want that to change, so it stayed on. Fortunately, nobody had really pressured me to reveal my identity yet, unless you counted the identity swap with Brian, which I considered a special case.

"Then let's not waste more time. Do you know where the guy is now?" I asked.

"I know where he was and the direction he was heading fifteen minutes ago, and I think I know where he might be heading to." As she answered, I noted that she was back to serious facts mode.

"Then we'll start from there and search from the air until we find him." I suggest, although I used a tone that was more ordering than suggesting. "I can start from where he was, you can start from where you think he's going to, we can meet in the middle." I paused and really looked at her for a second. Lustrous, long blonde hair; short dress and long boots, both white with gold trim; a cape over one shoulder; a literal golden tiara on her head. A look best described as 'blindingly obvious, emphasis on the blinding'. Fortunately, people very rarely looked up at the sky for no reason, so it might work. Still, we shouldn't leave this to chance. "Stay as high up as you can while still being able to catch him, and try not to look like you're searching for him. The one who finds him first should call the other over the phone to let them know. Unless you have a better idea?"

She paused to seriously consider if she did before resolutely shaking her head. "I've got nothing."

I let a malicious smirk spread across my face as my cape likewise spread before transforming into wings. "Then let the hunt begin."

A slight effort of will and I was shooting away into the sky, almost horizontal as I mixed the occasional powerful flap with high speed gliding. This kind of flying let me go pretty fast, but I had limited agility. In a few seconds, Glory Girl had caught up, and was flying beside me with a wild grin of her own.

"How are you just so effortlessly cool?" She asked. I shook my head and rolled slightly to face her.

"It's not effortless." I reminded her. "It's through training and experience. And I'm not trying to be cool. I'm trying to be effective."

"Yeah that's what I mean!" She exclaimed, gesturing wildly. "You're cool without trying. When I want to look cool I have to put in the effort and everything."

I still didn't get why she held me in high esteem. I was pretty sure it was the mysterious protector of the night stuff, but that was only because I was a vigilante who could physically only patrol in the late afternoon at the earliest. Still, it was probably the only reason Victoria listened to me when I talked to her, so I wasn't about to point that out. Another reason to keep this mask as good as welded to my face.

"It's all in the self-control." I state simply. "You say you have to put in the effort to control your body when you want to put on a show. I'm just always carefully controlling myself. You're smart and have good willpower. You could do it too."

"Yeah yeah yeah." She stuck her tongue out at me in response to the obvious lecture. "Starting point is near Spayder and Rock. End point is this empty Medhall warehouse five blocks due east of their HQ. See you in a few!" She accelerated, and quickly left my sight. I estimated she was probably pushing eighty miles per hour.

I diverted to the area she specified and started searching in a criss-crossing pattern, searching not only the straight line between the two locations but also potential side routes. If anything those were the more likely paths if this guy didn't want to be followed. I switched to my second alternate vision mode, thermal, and scanned the streets below intensely. For every human sized and shaped heat signature, I switched back to low-light to take a better look at. I didn't find anyone who matched even Victoria's loose description of 'skinhead'.

After about five minutes, my integrated phone lit up. Victoria again. "Talk to me."

"Found him." Even over the line, she sounded smugly satisfied. "Looks like I was right, too. He's making the final approach to the warehouse now, come meet me there."

She didn't need to tell me twice. I twisted in mid air, hanging for a moment after one flap brings me to a halt, before dashing off to rejoin her. It wasn't long before I saw her and the building in question, slowly coming to a halt alongside her, she gestured down with her head, and sure enough I could see a guy who fit the bill furtively look around before entering through a side door. The fact he didn't look up as well would be his last mistake as a free man. Glory Girl descended and I followed, both of us touching down silently.

"Alright, let's go!" She eagerly whispered to me. I frowned as my cape reformed, glancing at the door. If this was a big meeting, chances were some Empire cape or sub-unit were at its head. If it was, say, Victor and Othala, that wouldn't be so bad. If this was a secret welcome back party for Purity, Night, and Fog, that was much more of an issue.

"We should try and check the inside first. See if there are any windows or other entrances around, poke through them before we engage. Know what we're up against." I quietly said back, my low voice coming through with less distortion than usual to ensure it was still understandable.

It was Glory Girl's turn to fold her arms. "We don't even know how long they'll be staying here. While we're hunting for a window they could be leaving through a different entrance! We have to go in now. Listen, you know I look up to you-"

"Stop." I knew from being friends with Emma the telltale signs of when a social butterfly was about to manipulate you into doing what they wanted. I'd gotten to know Victoria reasonably well, but at the same time she'd gotten to know me and my buttons, and my reserves of willpower weren't infinite. Plus, I did kinda want to beat up a couple of Empire thugs. Just because I'd gotten good at suppressing my anger didn't mean it had ever gone away, and these people deserved it. Hell, they deserved worse. Just before the pause in the conversation got awkward, I continued. "Fine. Since we're probably going to do it your way in any case, may as well do it your way now."

She pumped her fist into the air in triumph before flying straight through the door, throwing it clean off its hinges in the process. "Alright!" She yelled out as she did so.

"Oh. Shit." She added moments later as I stepped through after her. I'd give her this: She'd been right about this being a big Empire meeting. What both of us had failed to realize was that this was the Empire meeting. Not only were a dozen or so people in civilian clothes and simple cloth face masks hanging around, one of which in the middle of it all was our target, so were five capes in full costume. Kaiser, leader of the Empire 88. Fenja and Menja, twins who served as his personal bodyguards. And Hookwolf and Krieg, Kaiser's two chief lieutenants. This must have been a high-level strategy meeting before we showed up. I didn't know why Kaiser felt he needed to have a meeting like that with his high command, but there was no way it could be good.

I turned my head to look at Glory Girl just as she turned hers to look at me. It could just have been my imagination, but I would swear that an entire wordless conversation took place between us when we locked eyes. And I was pretty sure it went something like this:

I messed up.

Oh, you think?

The pair of us were enough of a thorn in the Empire's side that they didn't bother with talking, instead shifting into combat mode right away. The only good news was that four of the five present needed to take a precious few seconds to power up first. Extending a hand, Kaiser caused a palisade of metal to emerge between him and us, with his bodyguards drawing their weapons and adopting a combat stance before they began to grow larger in size. Hookwolf simply walked steadily forward as whirring chains, blades, hooks, and similar burst from beneath his skin, or rather his skin retracted into the growing metal that was rapidly forming into the shape of a wolf. Krieg also took a few steps forward, but stopped when he was only a bit beyond Kaiser's barrier, watching us carefully.

In the time it had taken them to do that I was already moving towards Hookwolf. While it didn't look like it, he was safer for me to be near than Krieg. Not safe by any means, but the latter could slow me down more as I got closer to him with his power to manipulate kinetic energy. That meant I was more vulnerable to a grown spear of metal from Kaiser, or a regular but massive spear from Menja. I saw Glory Girl shoot straight ahead towards our unfortunate prey, who was in front of Kaiser's protective barrier and away from his fellow normal humans. The result of him being a new arrival, probably. He reached for something, cursing, and it must have been a gun since I heard a few shots while I turned back to my more immediate problem.

The still growing metal wolf lunged at me as I grabbed my sheathed blade from my side. I brought the weapon down in a large arc on the mass of metal that made up its head, and my wings flared as I leapt forward, landing squarely on Hookwolf's back. Blades tried to cut away at my armoured boots, and metal grew up to try and drag me in. If I was actually caught in his machinery I'd be minced, but a flap of my wings I was off of him before that could happen.

The warehouse had a fairly tall ceiling, but wasn't that large. I could feel the air try and push me down as I ascended, Krieg slowing me for Fenja to try and hit. Her movement was practiced, efficient, and hit nothing but air as she swung her sword just past me. If I'd been so much as a second slower curving around the blow I'd have been smashed to the floor. She recovered quickly, but not quickly enough to prevent me from bringing my weapon up straight into her exposed jaw. A blow like that would have sent a normal person to the ground and probably knocked out a few of their teeth, but the fifteen foot tall Valkyrie just had her head forced up a bit. It clearly hurt, but not enough.

A few more wingbeats sent me sailing back, just in time to avoid a lance of metal generated by Kaiser. I spared a glance and saw that both Glory Girl and the lieutenant were gone. Considering that it had only been a few seconds and I was already majorly on the back foot, I decided that was my cue to get the hell out of there. I altered the position of my wings, gliding back and down towards the door as Menja and Hookwolf began to advance towards me. I flipped them the bird before turning and running. The second I was outside, I flew up into the sky as fast as I could.

That entire battle couldn't have been more than a minute, maybe a minute and a half, but I felt like I was five years older coming out of the warehouse compared to when I went in. I scanned the nearby rooftops, and saw Victoria on one in the middle distance waving at me. I flew over and landed heavily, collapsing on the ground at her feet. I noted my heart was racing in a surprisingly detached way, as if I was recording the heart rate of some other person. I looked up to see her panicking.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck! Are you okay?" She asked, stress evident in her voice. I wanted to laugh, but couldn't muster the energy as I picked myself up off of the floor, my wings moving to prop me up before they shifted back into cape form.

"I'm fine. Just exhausted. That was my second cape fight in twenty-four hours, and it was way too close. But it could have been a lot worse. We at least got what we came for." I nodded towards the snarling Imperial lieutenant. "Good work, by the way. I barely even had to do anything."

She smiled awkwardly and rubbed the back of her head. "I'm not sure I'd have been able to get in and out like that if you didn't distract them. And I really shouldn't have ignored you."

I just shrugged. "You're getting better. You took care to capture this fucker intact, and the worst thing that could have happened from what you did is that we get hurt. Which would suck, but we can handle it. Or I guess Panacea more than us."

Victoria frowned. "One of us could have died."

I just shrugged at that. "Yeah but that's always a risk. And like you said, we have to take risks sometimes. Maybe not that exact risk, but you also had a point when you said we didn't know how much time we had. Listen, all either of us can do now is learn for next time, and be happy we got the guy. I used to be more reckless than you, if anything, so I know you can change more."

An enormous grin grew on her face, which she moved to cover with her hand. "No! No way!"

I nodded as sincerely as I could with no visible face to work with. "Believe it or not, it's true." I left it at that.

"Well, with the evidence we have already, plus this bodycam footage of him talking to Kaiser and shooting at me, ought to put him away for a while." Victoria tapped part of her uniform, and I squinted. It was actually barely visible, but sure enough, there was a small camera there. Smart of her to bring one to a capture like this.

"I'll let you take it from here. For me, tonight's work isn't finished yet." I once more turned around, spreading my wings as I did, and took off. It was probably my imagination, but I could swear I heard Victoria say 'so cool' as I left.

I wasn't sure if I was thankful or disappointed that the rest of the night was as quiet as I'd ever see. I flew back up from downtown into the docks and ABB territory, went far north enough that I was skimming Merchant-held areas, and then returned home with nothing new to show for it. A couple of people saw me fly above them and ran off who were probably gang members, but I didn't even know if they'd planned for anything that night that I'd interrupted.

It was about eleven thirty when I finally got back, and sure enough there were the Waddle Dees I'd left with Brian in the afternoon crouching down as best they could behind my house. I grabbed them and shifted worlds, changed back into civilian clothes, and jumped back. Then I walked back around to the front of my house and let myself back in before going up to bed, not wanting to arouse suspicion with my mom who thought I'd been out working. I supposed that technically I had been.

Being in bed with lights off at about eleven forty was slightly early for me, but after everything that went down today I was fine with that.

Before I drifted off into dreamless sleep, I thought about what I'd said to Victoria. The incident where I'd been stabbed wasn't that reckless. Impulsive, maybe. Risky, definitely. But not actually reckless. No, there was something I did about two years before that when I'd first gotten my power. Another bittersweet memory saved by good friends. That time a bit more literally.

Wait... You're not only making Sophia into a responsible, empathic protagonist but having Collateral Damage Barbie slowly learn restraint without needing her to go through shit on the same level she experiences in canon? And it looks like Taylor might grow up and live a normal life?

I love it!

Interrupting a Meeting
"Alright, let's go!" She eagerly whispered to me. I frowned as my cape reformed, glancing at the door. If this was a big meeting, chances were some Empire cape or sub-unit were at its head. If it was, say, Victor and Othala, that wouldn't be so bad. If this was a secret welcome back party for Purity, Night, and Fog, that was much more of an issue.

Cross-posted from SpaceBattles.

Interrupting A Meeting
Glory Girl and I watched as the guy stood by a side door with a crate in his arms, looking around to see if anyone was watching him. After a second, he entered the building. He never thought to look up. That would be his downfall.

"I bet that was guns," said Glory Girl. "Or drugs. Come on, let's bust him!"

Glory Girl descended and I followed.

"Hey, we should be careful," I told Glory Girl. "We should scout out the place first, see who we're dealing with."

"What's the worst that could happen?" asked Glory Girl, folding her arms.

I opened my mouth, but Glory Girl pulled one fist back and flew at the door. It blasted off its hinges, flying across the room to smash into a wall. Sighing, I followed her.

"Oh, shit." she said. When I entered the room, I stopped.

There was a teenage girl sitting at the head of the meeting table. Blonde hair, green eyes. She was wearing a cloak that glittered green and black. What gave her identity away were the three ghostly specters hovering behind her. When she spoke, her voice echoed with a thousand souls.

"Fragile One. Adventurer. What are you doing here?" asked Glaistig Uaine.

What was she doing out of the Birdcage?

"Is that... tea?" asked Glory Girl. Startled, I looked at the table. Sure enough, the crate was full of tea leaves. I pointed at the thug, who was huddled in a corner.

"You were selling tea to Glastig Uaine?" I asked incredulously.

"Is something wrong with that?" asked Glaistig Uaine.

Oh, shit. I accidentally insulted the Faerie Queen.

"N-no, ma'am," I said, bowing. "I-I just didn't know you g-got tea from here..."

"Well, where else would I get my tea from?" she asked. I opened my mouth to respond, but closed it without saying anything.

"I'm not the only customer here, either," Glaistig Uaine continued. "Isn't that right, Sleeper?"

A figure stepped out of the shadows. Victoria and I looked at him. He was carrying a two-pronged trident and was wearing some strange armor that resembled some aquatic animal. Tinkertech? Victoria looked at me and I looked back. We quickly made a decision.

"Sorry for the intrusion, ma'am," I said, slowly backing up. "We'll just go now."

Turning around, I saw a naked woman standing behind me. She was striped like a zebra. I tilted my head up slightly to stare at the face of the Siberian. I stumbled back.

"Fuck, fuck!" I shouted.

"Language!" called a young girl with blonde, curly ringlets. She was wearing a bloodstained dress and was holding a scalpel in her hand. Bonesaw.

Shit, shit! I need to get out of here. Maybe I can fly through the roof?

I had a brief flicker of hope. Then I looked upwards. A tall woman with alabaster skin stared back. Oh, and the wings. I couldn't forget the wings.

Victoria screamed. I screamed. The Simurgh screamed.

Flashback 2
Adeleine sat patiently in the elevator with a firm arm around Sophia's small shoulder and Ribbon floating on her other side. She'd wanted to keep the younger girl with the King and Waddle Dee as they made preparations for moving on outside, but since Sophia seemed more comfortable with Adeleine she decided to let her tag along. This reconnaissance mission shouldn't be too dangerous so long as the humans didn't stray into restricted areas. There was little pattern to the areas that were restricted and the ones that weren't, at least after centuries or millennia of pattern degradation and no knowledge of what this particular facility once was. All they knew is that it sat near the core of a long-abandoned city.

Equally unhelpful was the fact that aliens had visited and left their own detritus at some more recent time. Nobody among them knew who or what Halcandra was, but Halcandran Robotics or HR-model machines were lying around in places instead of human ones. Still, they'd successfully navigated the safe paths of the city, staying clear of its dangers by a healthy margin. Some of the squatting hostiles needed a simple painted soldier or two to show them off, but the remaining robotic defenses ignored them, and several types of being were attacked by them instead. Fortunately, neither humans nor fairies seemed barred from the abandoned roads.

Eventually, they'd found themselves near this armored citadel, skyway bridges connecting it to the outside world. They'd thought they might have needed to get in through there, but Ribbon had found a side entrance for them. The halls were as abandoned as the rest of the city. More-so, actually. Various species had moved in to Shiver Star over time, and even the rest of the city had noise in it from their distant cries or yells. The installation, however, had kept out everyone and everything until they'd showed up, making its corridors eerily silent. Once again, human DNA and faerie close-enough were the main barriers between them and serious trouble. After searching the sterile corridors for long enough, they'd found this elevator to the core. It had taken them high up, although still a bit below the skyways. After more than a minute of waiting, they came to a halt, and the doors opened with a soft chime.

They stepped out onto an observation platform, two pairs of feet clanking against metal while the humming of one pair of wings echoed through the vast, empty space. They were connected to a gantry for a strange, large machine. Thick white sheets of metal covered its core, rounded body. It was mostly white, but a black conical head with a single baleful yellow eye sat atop it. Two relatively thin sheets of metal stretched down from protruding shoulder spikes, one on either side. Arms, but not humanoid ones. And below it all sat four angular pods, no doubt what was keeping it aloft a little above the metal floor far below. The gantry connected to an identical observation platform opposite, but also had a catwalk leading off to the left, connecting to what looked like a control center. The sheen of hardened glass was visible, with thin lines around the section connecting to the catwalk likely indicating some kind of door or equivalent.

Adeleine turned to a touch-screen embedded in the wall. It flickered to life after only a second of delay, and then began to display images and words in English. She tapped away at various options until she found a short explanatory text file.

Halcandran Expedition to Planet "Shiver Star" Data Log: Hello, People of the Future!

If you have found this data log, then most likely you are a human who has returned to your ancestral home we know now was once called Earth, or you are a being of great power to defeat the defenses here, including the HR-H/E Variable Form Defense Unit we have generously donated to this facility. You have either already encountered it in the field, or you should see it before you now.

Be warned, it will attack anyone who enters its holding area, but we have linked it up with the control center you should see off to the side. Make your way around to it and you can disable or reprogram the machine from there.

To explain ourselves and our entries left scattered around the rest of the facility, we came to ensure this planet was not a point of vulnerability against the Enemy. We believe it is a world of note between our twin dimensions, so could prove to be a point of entry for the foe that made war against our ancestors and was only pushed back at great cost. We have confirmed that the Enemy has not yet pierced the veil here, but cannot say for how long this state of affairs will remain.

That was ominous, but Adeleine hadn't seen anything particularly Enemy-like, not that she had the first clue what these Enemies were, and if they did show up then most likely Kirby could deal with them. Besides, they all had to focus on the more immediate threat currently occupying Ripple Star. This could wait, whatever it was.

She turned to Ribbon, who was holding up her Crystal Shard in both hands, watching it vibrate and rattle as it pulsed with bluish energy. That meant that another Shard was nearby, and had probably gotten lodged somewhere inside the HR-H/E VFDU, and gosh these Halcandrans needed shorter acronyms. She'd just call it the HR-H for now. That in turn meant that they had to destroy it. Fortunately, they had someone ready and waiting.

Tapping the screen a few times, she accessed an external camera network and flicked over to a view of one of the external bridges. Sure enough, Kirby was present there, a double-bladed laser sword in his hands. He was bouncing around on the spot, looking at the enormous skyline around him with genuine wonder on his face, dexterously twirling the long weapon around. Adeleine was just about to call him to move forward towards them when she felt a small tug on her arm.

She turned to see Sophia, who'd been looking at the screen alongside her. "What is it, Sophia?" She asked.

"Couldn't we just go to the control center, turn off the big robot, and get the Crystal Shard by ourselves?" While she had an expression that tried to mix a frown and a serious look that mostly just ended up being adorable, she had made a fair point, so Adeleine tried to give her a proper answer.

"Good idea, but the elevator next to ours was locked, and I think that was the one going up to the control center. I don't know where the thingy to unlock it would be, but it could be a long search, if it's anywhere here at all. Much easier to have Kirby fight that thing. And much less work." She efficiently set up her workstation, and prepared to paint a phone she could use to call Kirby. "I mean, we could try to run across the gantry to the control center, but that's a terrible idea-"

[INTRUDER DETECTED.] The deep bass rumble of HR-H was more felt than heard as it awoke to a target that had entered its home. Adeleine's head snapped to the side to saw Sophia making a run for it directly over the great machine.

"Fiddlesticks!" She cursed under her breath. "Ribbon!" She yelled at the fairy, who'd already put away her Shard and begun to move.

"On it!" Came the reply. For her part, Adeleine began painting several Flaming Burts, which were just the winged, footed, and faced spheres called Bronto Burts but on fire. Although they looked more like crayon drawings than actual people, and certainly weren't alive, they were real enough to be targeted, and hot enough to take priority on infrared sensors. The winged fireballs quite literally flew off the canvas, darting forward into the central bay just in time for HR-H to make its first move.

The armored tops of its hover pods opened up, and from each flew a missile. One hit a Flaming Burt, destroying it in the explosion, but was otherwise harmless. A second hit a Burt that had gotten close to the screen of the control area and destroyed not only its target but also shattered the glass, leaving a gaping hole. A third went for Ribbon, who agilely dodged it in the air, leaving it to shoot off into the ceiling and explode there.

The fourth, however, hit the catwalk below and behind Sophia just as she turned to the final approach. The core fireball missed her, as did most of the shrapnel that was blown over her head, but as well as a few surface cuts the blast wave threw her up and over the railings, giving her a moment of airtime before she began to plummet to her doom.

Ribbon was there in a flash, their small but brave companion showing surprising strength as she hauled the much larger human child back up to the catwalk, wings a blur as she did. The moment Sophia touched down she was off again, only slightly slowed by the bleeding surface wounds that peppered her skin. Unfortunately, with HR-H activated, it was the best option. See it through or die. Ribbon, being from a tougher species, would be basically fine albeit wounded, but Adeleine and Sophia didn't have that luxury.

The towering robot had hovered out of its maintenance bay, and with a burst of acceleration flew up to be more level with the platforms above. It raised a straight arm, and brought it slamming down on Sophia. She leaped forward at the last moment, the attack missing by less than two meters as it tore clean through the catwalk with sheer brute force. Still a reasonable distance, but far, far too close for Adeleine's comfort.

The machine rotated, and looked as if it was about to do something before Sophia reached the row of consoles on the opposite wall. Apparently, the machine must have been wired to a big, obvious emergency shutdown button, since Adeleine could see her slam her hand down on something that caused HR-H to deactivate, floating gently down to the ground as its eye blinked out.

She breathed an enormous sigh of relief as she painted a bag of plasters and phone into existence before calling everyone else, collapsing down her workstation, and slinging all her tools over her shoulder. With a little help from Ribbon's firm grip, she made her way over the heavily damaged gantry and drooping catwalk to Sophia, who was breathing heavily from her sprint and brush with death.

"First of all, I'd like to tell you that you were very smart, and very brave." Adeleine said as she began to stick plasters to Sophia's scrapes. Luckily, it looked as if none were particularly long, deep, or penetrating, so it should be enough to let it heal on its own. "Second of all, I'd like to tell you that you were also very stupid. What, exactly, where you thinking?" She tried to take on as authoritative a tone as she could with her last sentence.

Sophia shrugged, wincing as each plaster was firmly stuck to her. "I just felt like I had to. Didn't want to stand there being useless." She replied, not meeting Adeleine's piercing gaze as she did.

Adeleine just sighed. Sophia had been increasingly fidgety and restless ever since they'd first set off together. Apparently, she just really hated standing back and being passive. Which was understandable, but this was going a bit too far for your daily exercise. She didn't pivot into a speech about how Sophia could have been seriously hurt, since the pain from the cuts should make that point all on its own. Instead, she just brought Sophia into a hug, with Ribbon joining in as best she could from the other side. The girl stiffened for a second, then relaxed into it, awkwardly returning the embrace.

After a few seconds, they separated, and Adeleine looked over at the slumping HR-H. "We do need to find you a healthy outlet, and fast." She muttered. She understood that Sophia was having a pretty rough go of it, and feeling a lot of anger and reckless impulses, but if she continued on like this it was only a matter of time before she suffered a much worse fate than a handful of nicks. Or, arguably almost as bad, she started trying to do things to people less overwhelmingly more powerful than her.

"One last question: You realize there was a wall, right? What was your plan there?"

Sophia shrugged, once again not meeting Adeleine's eyes. "My power. It lets me be somewhere else. I thought I could make it try and hit me, then move out of the way, and make it break the glass. But I thought it would be way slower than it was." Well, that made sense. Still reckless to go in not knowing how fast the robot would be, but at least she did have a plan. So far, she'd naturally been quiet on her power that let her move from wherever she had been to here. That was fine by Adeleine, they still had time.

"Well, the others will be here soon, and I'll tell them about what a hero you were." She gently poked Sophia on the forehead. "What a very stupid hero, but that just means you'll fit right in with Kirby."

"I don't really think I'm a hero-" Sophia began, but was cut off as Adeleine threw an arm around her.

"Phooey! Sure you are. Who else but a hero would have done something risky to help a stranger's world?" Ribbon smiled and nodded in agreement at the mention of her home planet, currently under threat. Sophia didn't say anything else or look up, but Adeleine could see that she was smiling.

Chapter 5
It surprised me that it was only the twelfth when I got up. The result of having pretty much everything that could go down in my life happening in the twenty four hours before I last got into bed. Still, I was used to taking life a day at a time. If I had to make that an hour at a time, I would. The important thing was that even if I slowed, I'd never stop entirely.

For the most part, I had the same morning routine today as I had yesterday. Get up, get dressed, go downstairs, although I smelled a little better today. There was one major difference, which was that my mom was still here.

Jennifer Hess wasn't an exceptional person, but I very much loved her, if in my own weird way. She was my mother, she'd done a lot for me, even if we had our differences. She was reasonably tall at five foot ten, a good five inches taller than my fifteen year old self, had an average build, average face, and hair she usually tied up in a simple ponytail that hung a bit below her shoulders. Maybe her most prominent features were the constantly present large bags under her eyes. I knew she slept reasonably well, because that's how I was able to get away with coming through the window at midnight every other day, so they were more from a mix of stress and a smoking habit, which was probably also caused by the stress. She had to provide for three children more or less by herself, as a low-level accountant working for a local construction company. She also happened to have an absolutely terrible ability to read people, considering she still didn't realize anything was off with me and that entire... thing with my stepfather.

Thankfully, I didn't have to worry about that anymore. I still didn't know exactly what Adeleine did but I knew it had solved the problem. Not before my entire life and outlook had been permanently changed, though.

Taylor had once talked my ear off about theories surrounding Trigger Events, including what they do to you mentally. One of the very few known constants about parahumans was that they manifested their abilities under extreme stress and usually trauma in a single moment called a Trigger Event. Sometimes it was just a very sudden thing, like a near-death experience, or maybe it was one small thing that pushed someone already in a tricky situation over the edge. Whatever the case, it was the only way anyone knew to get powers, which probably helped explain why most capes were pretty messed up in one way or another. There was my personal exception of the strange abilities you could get in the Other World, but I could only get there with a power in the first place, so that felt like it didn't count.

There was a lot of other stuff surrounding them, like the ideas of Second Triggers and Second-Generation Triggers which were confusingly two completely unrelated concepts, but what had always interested me once I'd heard of it was personality shifts when you Triggered. Nobody was sure, but there was some speculation that Triggering could alter your personality in various ways. The main problem with that theory was that obviously traumatic events could seriously affect you by themselves, so there was a suggestion in the research that maybe it was that by itself and people were just seeing effects that weren't really there. According to Taylor, the mainstream view was a bit of a mix.

I was willing to believe it. Before I Triggered, I'd been a shy kid. Still athletic, but I didn't have the personality you'd expect from a sporty kid. Reserved, non-confrontational, I'd even been bullied a bit and was prone to panic attacks. Nothing like who I became later. At least I was still determined to see things through even then. Some things don't really change, I guess.

It also felt a little weird that Taylor knew more about Trigger Events than me when I'd actually been through one, but it made sense. If you did a bunch of research into parahuman stuff and you already had powers, you probably weren't too concerned with how you could get them. It was a bit redundant by that point. You focused on other areas, or at least I had.

While I was thinking, my mom began speaking. "Sophia, I'm going to stay at a friend's house tomorrow night. I apologize that this is a bit sudden, but could you look after Thalia for me? I know you like to go out at night, so I want to make sure you don't have other plans. We can hire a babysitter if you do." She was looking at Thalia as my four year old sister ate, and it looked like she was just having a croissant and some water. Neither of us ever really had the energy to cook anything for breakfast. My older brother Terry sometimes had, but he was attending college out of town and had been for a year and a half now.

I just nodded. "Sure, mom, I don't have anything planned." That was an absolute lie, but I had a way to ensure my little sister was being well taken care of even when I was out as Exoa Knight.

With that exchange done, the two of us went back to doing our own separate things. That was basically how it went, we talked to each other when we needed something and left each other alone the rest of the time. She didn't even make me go to church anymore, even though she still went every Sunday. I thought it was probably better that way. It'd hurt less for her and everyone else when the almost inevitable happened if I kept my distance. You didn't usually go into my line of 'work' if you wanted a long life expectancy.

I knew the Wards were much safer, since having a team at your back was a big help, but I still wasn't going to join up. The Protectorate's junior division was just that, a junior division. A team focused less on doing good and fighting for a cause, and focused more on training, PR, and doing the government's bidding. I had my own priorities I stuck by.

It wasn't too long before I was out of the house, and then back at school. Homeroom and the first two periods passed uneventfully. Information was gathered, separated into useful and not useful, which was basically how likely it was to show up on a test, then devoured and discarded respectively. It brought to mind the image of a pack of wolves tearing a deer to pieces and leaving the bones behind.

I thought that was kind of a morbid way of looking at it. Oh well, it was what it was.

When lunch hour began, I met up with Emma and we grabbed Taylor as she came out of her World Issues class. None of us were the kind to socialize in classrooms, so we were always out together pretty quickly. Taylor preferred to just do her work and then let it speak for herself, Emma had better access to her little network of followers outside, and I didn't have anyone but those two to socialize with.

I'd been friends with these two long enough that I could tell when something was off. As we moved to find somewhere to eat lunch, I knew that this was one of those times. It was the little things, like Taylor acting subdued instead of awkward but bubbly, and Emma shooting me side glances between normal bits of conversation. I wanted to get it over with and ask what was up right now, but knew that it was going to come out pretty much as soon as we sat down. I could manage to wait that long.

Sure enough, maybe a minute after we were settled and before any of us had the chance to start speaking, Emma spoke up. She was leaning forward, voice barely above a whisper. We could hear her clearly enough, but I doubt anyone else would be able to make anything out. "I think Andrea is going to join the ABB." She hissed.

"Andrea Cheng?" I quietly asked, getting a hurried nod. That was a gut punch. I actually knew Andrea from an incident around a year ago. She was an amateur sportswoman like me, although she was women's basketball rather than track and field, and a couple of Empire wannabes threw racist remarks at her. Said that since she was from Asia she should be studying math rather than doing sports. Didn't matter that her math was above average at best, or that she'd been born in the US and her parents had lived here for most of their lives. We'd heard about it, and Emma ensured they quickly became social pariahs at Winslow. Then the geniuses found out who was behind that and decided to threaten the three of us while we were walking out of the school together.

In the end, around eight girls as well as us three would swear to our graves that they were witnesses to what happened next, which was for sure that they'd all fallen flat on their faces out of nowhere, probably from untied shoelaces. They most definitely did not get the crap beaten out of them by a furious black girl who had secretly been trained in unarmed combat by the greatest warrior of another galaxy. Didn't happen, nope, not in the slightest.

Sometimes, Emma scared me. I was just glad she only used her social wizardry for good.

At the time it was pretty gratifying, but it had been the start of an unfortunate trend. Emma and Taylor were inspired by it, and resolved to try and make the school a better place for everyone. Sometimes it was as simple as going to the administration in numbers, but Winslow in particular had an infamously slack disciplinary system, and even in some situations where it wasn't you'd get labeled a snitch and get bogged down fighting pointless social battles. So they resolved to take justice into their own hands, and I'd been dragged along out of a sense of obligation. I felt that even though I was out of costume, that was no excuse to stop trying to be a hero. Even if it was in a much smaller way.

We were actually pretty well suited to it. Emma was the heart of the operation as the one with the actual social pull and popularity to make things happen. People generally wanted to be in good standing with all the popular kids, and if Emma wasn't on top of that food chain she at least came close, and had gotten most of the other clique-leading boys and girls to sign on. And if you weren't pulled into her orbit of "don't be an asshole", then she could apply social pressure until you at least publicly shut up. Taylor was well known as a rules-abiding model student, so if we did have to go to the faculty for whatever reason she gave our words a bit more weight. More importantly, she was a well-known nerd. She didn't go deep into pop culture, she was more of a literature and history geek, but the reputation mattered more than the facts. She had the pull to get information or cooperation from the outsiders who didn't care what the popular kids thought of them.

And me? I had more influence with the school's more athletic students, but most of them were also the kind who listened to the social butterflies. The main thing, at least to start with, was that I was the muscle if anyone else decided to match the smarts of the first bunch. Funnily enough, after rumor had spread in the student body of what really happened, nobody else made the attempt. I chalk that up to me being deterrence.

All of this got us a reputation as a bunch of goody two-shoes, but what was anyone annoyed at us going to do? Collectively, we were incredibly popular with students and staff alike, and had hands down the best brawler in the school. The worst that happened was that one of Emma's popular girl rivals, Madison Clements, started calling us the Trio. It was a dumb name meant to draw comparisons to the Protectorate's Triumvirate and make us seem a bit full of ourselves. Since last Christmas Madison had decided to go with the flow and bent the knee to Emma, she was actually now a valuable social lieutenant, but her stupid name still stuck to us. I worried we were going to get called the Trio until the end of high school now.

It became an actual problem when Taylor suggested we start tackling the more serious problem than bullying. Namely, Winslow had a significant amount of gang activity, with its generally lower class students being a notable source of recruits for gang initiates, and there being a small but notable drug trade going on inside its walls. While we were dealing with high school drama the worst thing that could have happened was a loss of status, at absolute worst the losing end of a minor fight for the other two, but trying to disrupt the gangs was way more dangerous. Taylor had pointed out that it wasn't like any gang would attack the school in broad daylight, and I'd admit she was right about that. It would be a great way for the authorities to drop the hammer on that particular gang and make an example out of them. Hell, the other villains in the city would probably help to show that there was a line. And that wasn't even mentioning what I'd do, although obviously people couldn't factor that in.

But that didn't mean it was safe. Just because Lung or Kaiser themselves weren't about to show up and murder us didn't mean some random gang punk couldn't shank us on our way too or from school if we were too much of a hassle. It's not like any of the city's criminal groups hadn't murdered people, even teenagers, in the past for one reason or another. The main concession I got out of them was that they'd let me handle the actual disruption parts and stick to information gathering and background work. I could handle myself if it came to violence much better than either of them, and even though Taylor had no clue about my powers she did know that much. The problem there was that as Sophia Hess I wasn't exactly bulletproof. I was confident I could handle myself in a fistfight, or win a knife fight by enough to limp to the nearest hospital, but if anyone just shot me out of the blue I was as screwed as anyone else. Once again, Fleur's example hung heavily over me.

Still, Taylor was adamant, and when one of those two wanted something the other would usually side with them. This was no exception, so I found myself outvoted. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. Taylor had a union boss for a father, and before she'd sadly passed away about two years ago an English professor and former activist for a mother. Caring about social issues was sort of in her blood, or at least her upbringing.

And now everything had come full circle. Funny how it all turns out.

"Alright, I'll talk to her." I noted that as I recalled how we'd got here several seconds had passed. I was looking back way too often recently, when I most needed to be looking forward. When I was just talking to people it was fine, but if I was caught daydreaming in a fight that might have fatal results. "But don't expect miracles. You know how pushy the ABB are." I got some glum murmurs of agreement, and then we went back to small talk. But I couldn't help but note that a layer of discomfort was hanging over us. We all knew that these particular conversations all too often had unhappy endings.

Last edited:
Chapter 6
I spent the rest of the school day mentally steeling myself for talking to Andrea. I knew that it wasn't going to pleasant even if things resolved nicely. Either Andrea was being pressured to join by the gang, and her life might be in danger, or she was actively choosing to seek out employment there, in which case my job would be even harder.

I felt like I could rule out anything ideological, because the ABB had no ideology except power for power's sake and really half-hearted racism. The E88 and its consistent set of beliefs, although they were really terrible ones, were the exception among the city's underworld. As the poorly-spelled name implied, the Azn Bad Boys recruited from basically everyone of East Asian heritage. It didn't matter where they were actually born or which particular country they came from, if you were from that general region you were considered valid for the gang. On the face of it, that didn't really seem that different from the Empire's policy of being open to anyone that counted as 'white', so long as you happened to also be straight and racist, but as I'd studied the gangs as part of my training efforts I learned there was actually a pretty big split. Most members of the Empire just considered themselves white Americans, and had a general American culture, but the ABB's membership at least privately still hewed to their own ways. They didn't identify primarily as Asian Americans, but as Japanese or Chinese or Vietnamese Americans.

The ABB shouldn't exist at all. It was an illogical, demented house of cards that existed mostly because Lung was just that powerful and able to bully everyone into line. If you took him out of the picture, the gang would pretty much instantly collapse into components based mostly on heritage and nationality.

Of course, I'd learned the hard way that taking Lung down was easier said than done, especially now that he had not just one but two other capes backing him up. You'd probably need every other major villain in the city working together to have a real shot, good luck getting all the villains to band together for anything short of an Endbringer, or let the big hero teams give the ABB their undivided attention, which wasn't really any more doable.

When my last lesson finally ended, I didn't go off to find her right away. I had practice today, and I knew that Andrea would be practicing as well. Since the basketball people finished a little later than us, I had time to get in a full round before I caught her heading home. Silently, I went to the changing rooms and got dressed. For the most part, my teammates left me alone unless they needed something, which was the way I liked it. I did catch some snippets of conversation about Andrea, though. Looked like the rumors had spread faster than Emma's ability to silence it. Made sense, since it was outside of her main area of control. Mostly, it was nothing I didn't already know. After a few minutes of that, it was off to the track.

I did genuinely like running. It was one of the few things in my life that was distinctly mine. Maybe the only thing. Pretty much all my friends and all of my hero work came from my power, which I'd just gained out of the blue one day. Compared to a lot of parahumans, I'd had to work to get anything useful from mine, but unlike most Tinkers I hadn't actually built any of my equipment myself. And even most of my combat skill had been from getting trained rather than figuring it out myself. Running, though? I'd just practiced that by myself until I was one of the best around. Maybe not the best long-distance runner in the entire city, but I came surprisingly close for someone who wasn't even legally an adult yet. It was to the point where I was almost a minor meme in the school, usually something to the effect that I should be competing with the boys or that the running was always a contest for second place. People generally didn't get too annoyed, since I only competed in a select number of races, and I was as humble a winner as you could get.

Of course, that wasn't really because I was actually humble or not competitive. It was because the competitive streak I had didn't come from a drive to win, but instead from the fact that I really, really hated losing.

It also helped keep me in shape, and was pretty relaxing as well. If I was busy working, learning, or thinking, that could be stressful. Being in a fight for my life was obviously also pretty stressful. While I was running, I could just let everything else fade away as I focused entirely on putting one foot in front of the other as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Over the next hour, I worked up a good sweat over several laps, having ran a good two miles or so in all. I had just enough time to take a quick shower in the school facilities and get changed back to casual clothes before I headed off to see Andrea. By the time I showed up the team was just filing out from the own changing rooms themselves. I saw her pretty quickly, trailing behind the rest of the group, and silently tapped her on the arm. She looked my way, seemed to consider something for a second, rolled her eyes, and fell in behind me.

She was attractive in a dignified sort of way, with a thin face and commanding features on an athletic body. She had an inch or so on me, making her about Taylor's height, and short black hair. She was also maybe even quieter than me, so we didn't exchange a word until we were out beyond the school gates. Like many of the students Andrea took the bus too and from school, but she presumably lived just about close enough to school to walk it, since she was willing to walk with me rather than go on the bus. Courteous of her.

I was the one who broke the silence first. "Have you heard the rumors about you?" No sense in beating around the bush here.

Andrea just sighed. "Listen, Sophia. You've helped me out before, so I will be honest with you now." She sounded earnest enough. "Yeah, I'm gonna join the ABB. I'm in good with a recruiter and they're interested in me. It's not like I have any other prospects in this shitheap, and they're gonna keep going either with or without me." Andrea shrugged. "So I may as well get something out of them, right?"

"Yeah, that's what I was afraid of." It was a fairly common story. All the way back in the early nineties before I'd even been born, Brockton Bay had been a dying city. It had been a port, but it followed the same pattern as all those decaying Rust Belt cities. Shipping had gone into a global decline for a bunch of reasons, and the bulk of the economy basically went up in smoke. Parts of the city, mostly downtown and the Boardwalk, managed to adapt by shifting into tech, finance, and boutique or artisanal stuff, and Medhall was a big employer too. But the rest, like basically all of the docks in the middle of the city and the glorified steel graveyard of the north, suffered badly. A lot of people then went to the gangs just because they didn't feel like they had any other choice. The government wasn't willing to do anything about it, the PRT couldn't do anything about it, so the Bay became a haven for supervillains. And since those underlying problems had never been fixed, new villains just kept cropping up every time we smacked down the last batch. Of today's gangs and villain teams, only the Empire had been around back then, and under different management at that. The others died or were defeated and just got replaced.

Really, it made me feel like I was mostly fighting for nothing. Even if I cleaned up this city entirely, others would just flow in from outside to fill the power vacuum, and I didn't exactly have the power to deal with the root cause. I wasn't some billionaire, I could barely keep things stable for one person, let alone one hundred thousand. Then again, I was always a problem in front of me kind of person, and I never claimed to be a hero that actually fixed things.

Of course, none of that explained or excused the powered villains. It was almost hard not to find work with any halfway decent superpower, since if nothing else the Protectorate was always hiring. I understood that some people didn't have the temperament for fighting, but those people didn't become villains. They became Rogues, the designation for parahumans that used their abilities for non-combat purposes.

We kept walking in silence for a minute or so after that. Andrea had made her decision, and I doubted I could change her mind. What the hell was I supposed to say to her? It's not like she was wrong about anything she'd said. Pretty soon she got fidgety, and then spoke up again. "So now what? Are you gonna rat me out or something?" She said a bit more nervously.

I just snorted. "Do I look like a fucking cop to you?" That seemed to calm her down, as she pretty much immediately went back to normal, more calm and controlled. "I'm gonna ask you to keep any gang shit out of the school, though. If you start peddling drugs or whatever, it becomes a problem. My problem. And trust me, you don't wanna be my problem."

She cautiously shook her head. "No promises. I've heard all sorts of stories about Lung, you know? And I've heard the other two are complete psychos. I think I'm more scared of them than I am of you."

"Yeah I get that." I said with complete honesty. After all, Lung still put me on my guard even when I was in my bulletproof combat armour. Regular Sophia Hess just wasn't that intimidating by comparison. "But you know that if you ever get pressured too hard, there are resources out there? I mean, witness protection and shit, but also independent heroes will be willing to try and help you out."

Andrea made a face and stopped suddenly. "You know, that's probably going to be bad for my health. These people don't exactly like snitches."

I adopted a neutral expression and folded my arms. "Joining a gang at all is pretty bad for your health too. How many people who were gang members in this city even just a decade ago aren't either dead or behind bars? I don't have numbers, but probably not a lot. I mean, Lung's ABB didn't even exist back then. If you want to live to see twenty as a free woman, you should probably pick, I don't know, anything else as a career option?" I waved a hand dismissively. "I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life, but I think you're making a mistake."

She groaned and threw her hands wide in frustration. "Well what else am I supposed to do, Sophia? What the fuck else?" She let her arms drop to her sides. "I mean, even if I don't choose to join, I'll probably get pressured into it anyway. At least this way I'd be doing it on my own terms."

I managed to look her directly in the eyes and keep my voice perfectly level as I next spoke. "What you're supposed to do is live life one day at a time if you have to. It might not be pretty, but it'll be better for you and everyone around you." I paused for a second. "And if you're ever threatened, you can come and tell me. You'd be surprised at who I know."

"Yeah, right." She spat out as she looked away. But her features were uncertain, almost thoughtful. I got the impression she was looking away less out of scorn and more because she couldn't bear to meet my gaze. "Whatever. But I guess I'll think about it."

I shrugged and looked off into the distance. "That's all I'm asking. See you around, Andrea." She gave a half-hearted goodbye as I turned and began walking back towards my own home.

The rest of my evening was uneventful. After eating dinner, I headed out on patrol. I only really ended up escorting a woman who thought she was being followed home through a dangerous area. I wasn't sure if she was, but I was willing to believe that. Afterwards, I ended up shaking down an ABB goon for information. Apparently, Lung wanted to spread intimidation beyond the immediate reach of his inner circle, so he was shipping out Bakuda-made bombs to certain outposts. I didn't get anything more specific that, so I spent a few hours pouring over a map of the city's east end trying to figure out where the bombs would turn up. By the time I had a pretty good idea, it was time to enter the warm embrace of my bed.

But throughout all of that, Andrea stayed at the back of my mind. It was incredibly hard to change a person's mind about something in one conversation, and I had no clue if I'd done it. All I could do was hope that she'd never be on the other end of a fight with me, because if I saw her I was taking her down. I didn't, couldn't make exceptions for people who chose to be on the other side of the law. I'd made one for Grue, sure, but I'd still stopped him cold. And everything I'd seen since then had just made me care that little bit less. At this point, I was half convinced that Victoria's mom Carol had the right of it with her absolutist views.

Still, it gnawed at me. I was jaded, I actively tried not to care, but every time I didn't I felt like I was letting everyone in the Other World down. I mean, I knew I was letting them down, but it felt like I was doing it more than usual. But if I did care, everything just felt so hopeless. If I couldn't deal with one hopeless teenager, how was I meant to deal with an entire hopeless city?

I had trouble getting to sleep that night.

Back