Kantai Collection: The World Set Free (KC/SCP/FreeSpace:Blue Planet/Destiny)

What I quoted; as well as some of the dreamlike sequences dealing with (in?) Indra's net. For hopefully-obvious reasons discussions of acatalepsy stand out for me.

Early in the story's development, the Abyssals are closer to the Shivans. Now it has changed.

The shipgirls are the Shivans, or incipients/vectors thereof. I have yet to reveal all the elements though.

Early in the story's development, the Abyssals are closer to the Shivans. Now it has changed.

The shipgirls are the Shivans, or incipients/vectors thereof. I have yet to reveal all the elements though.

I actually know very little about Freespace, BP or Kancolle, and what I do know about the former comes from the Morrigan stories...but I occasionally hang out in the BP IRC channel for various reasons.

I actually know very little about Freespace, BP or Kancolle, and what I do know about the former comes from the Morrigan stories...but I occasionally hang out in the BP IRC channel for various reasons.

I hope you find the stories here interesting enough. It is still very much a work in a progress, though. I hope to bring something different to the KanColle fanfic scene.

Hull Fragment: Age

Hull Fragment: Age

"There was an idea, an idea that became a dream. A dream that became a shape. A shape that became us..."

" Let us remember that for them, time is no longer – or perhaps never – a linear progression of events. Death is an eventuality as is rebirth. This we term the First Understanding. Indra's Net and mastery of its connections – central to the Shipgirl's capabilities- enables information and paracausal transfer beyond the ken of normal spacetime.

Let us also remember that they set the terms of their own new existence. The "Summoning Ritual" is an oversimplification, misnomer, and information warfare all at once. While the Ritual-technical term "Aspect Capture"- is used in the resurrective anti-attritional capacity, no Shipgirl has ever been originally 'produced' via this ritual. They each have their own story of Emergence, and thus, the terms by which their existence is predicated is set by them and understood only by them.

We have no hold on them, except by the loyalties they still have on the cause of humanity."

- Cryptarch-Thanatologist Itomugi, Hougaku Method First Rank, CTG MASQUERADE, Complex MAGIA

x-x-x-x​

He returned to walk alongside the waterfront of the island five times in his life.

In the first time it was still clearly heard, but he did not understand it yet. But each time then it grew weaker. It fades, eventually. The thread that connected him and the other children to the presence that calls them, ever so softly was her call, remained unseen.

He turned away at the end of the fifth walk, and never did saw her. Until...

x-x-x-x​

Once she was young as he. As young as the children, born in the waters of a rising empire. One by one they grew old. One by one they succumbed to the end; some died in the same war as she did.

Ah, that death! To be sunk in a friendly port! Stabbed in the bed, drowned in a puddle. Was it treachery? Jealousy? Misfortune?

It doesn't matter anymore. She stopped getting old. For a long time she slept.

And her mind went to that Garden, beyond space, beyond time, this hardened dream-topology woven out of worldlines.

The war unfolds, and she saw it all.

But she stopped getting old. And she began to dream.

From the end till the beginning, everything was laid out. This is the sight that was granted to all of them. Some parts of it has already happened and immutable, or will never happen. Others are uncertain still.

In another branch, she was intact, proud, and there was no war, no treachery and no cruelty beyond imagining. She stayed afloat to be beloved still. The children all ran and laughed on her deck, learning the shape and name of the armour that served them.

In another branch, she was sunk in battle like what was considered proper, the seas engulfing her last defiance, a flaring plume of smoke and oil.

All those branches are afire now, and what they are is a reminder, an anchor to keep her from slipping to the ancient mistake.

She was not forgotten, neither did she forget. She held to what is true and pure, and all that comes with it.

It all loops back to this eventuality, and the world in the surface calls once more;

Then, in her heart, was one promise she kept to herself.

"Even if just one, even if just once... I want to see them again."

x-x-x-x​

At the end, only one remains. He is now on the edge. Age and strain from the disaster is poised to claim him.

She had the Joint Command's vast operative network to thank for finding him. He never had a family. His home, like many others, were swallowed by the Discolored Seas when Hokkaido fell.

Her heart ached with the desperation of this meeting, long awaited. Mutsu walked to the hospital bed and old man sleeping, weakly breathing, on it.

A Joint Command officer stood near. He motioned at a bundle in the old man's arms.

"He won't release it for checking as he keeps calling your name. He said you will understand when you see it..."

He was old, so old and frail, that for a fleeting moment Mutsu cursed her own visage. Quietly, the officer left the room. She leaned slowly to his ears and called in a whisper.

"...Arihara-san?"

Once, twice, he blinked awake. Sitting beside him, she calmed the old man after a fit of hoarse coughs. He said, in a low voice, riven with age:

"Ah... Mutsu-chan... we finally meet.. back then, I don't know what it is for, what you would become..."

He smiled as brightly as he can manage, reaching with one hand to touch Mutsu's face.

"I'm sorry if I forgot... for a while...but I remember now. I still remember. When the teachers distributed the box around the school, collecting money... I know now it is for you..."

Mutsu grasped his palm, her own hand naked of gloves, leaning her head beside his shoulder. She closed her eyes while she listened, as tears threatened to spill.

"Arihara-san... it's been so long. But I have never forgotten you either..."

He pulled himself a little more upright, and offered an envelope, bundled in one arm. Releasing her grasp, Mutsu accepted the envelope.

"Mutsu-chan... this is how I remember. I found them in an old store. I didn't know what drove me to buy them then... but then... this, all this happened. The old ships returning, they said... and I finally understood..."

She opened it, and found two post-cards featuring coloured images of herself. One from low on the water, a shot of her bow, her hull and pagoda mast proudly tall. The other is from above, looking down on her mighty armoured turrets. She looked up at him, still smiling. But now she cannot hold back her tears as they a streaming river on her face.

She reached to collect him in an embrace, which she hopes she can hold forever.

"Arihara-san...thank you for still remembering me. I'm just an old ship now, in a young body, filled with regrets... I'm sorry I cannot grow old with you...I...I-"

"Mucchan...why do you apologize? It was I who almost forgotten you, but I know you will never forget. I am grateful that you visited me now..."

"I hope you can become a great ship.. for us all.. as I know you will be..."

"...Thank you, Mutsu-chan."

Last edited:
Because I managed to wring out some free time... have a short piece. Based on my post here;

Kantai Collection - Fanfic Idea and Recs

I managed to find no further detailed reference of Mutsu's history in which she is said to have been partially funded by schoolchildren.

Therefore, the individual named in this story is fictional, and made for the purposes of this narrative.

Last edited:
I will just say that I am extremely pleased with the visual direction the Abyssals are going, and this will have positive impacts on the development of this story.

A confession: I am not a fan of Abyssals, or depictions thereof, that are too cute and not terrifying or alien enough (I still like Hoppou to an extent).

One of the main draws of Kantai Collection for me is that the design of the Abyssals are very much legit alien and befitting of a cosmic horror story.

I am happy that the last night's KC update continues this;

(look at that tail)

(I simply cannot describe this one with mere words)

And an old favorite of mine, Midway Princess. See the thing behind her? You know what it looks like to me?

A black flower, a burning world. A singularity.

The development of the extent and understanding the Abyssal threat is very much central to this story. We are also gonna have an Abyssal POV soon.

Made minor adjustments to Two Bridges and a Gate, in accordance to Saratoga's canon appearance.

Two Bridges and a Gate

The Bikini Atoll is now the site of Fleetbase: Gate Lycoris Radiata, home of the first truly multinational task force CTG MOZAIC, whose flagships are Saratoga (US 141st Pacific Battlegroup) and Nagato (2nd Core Contingency Impact Division), as well as portions of the American CTG DECIDER.

Emblem of the CTG MOZAIC and Fleetbase: Gate Lycoris Radiata.

The Temperance Vector.

Last edited:
Among all the possibe rumours and revelations and speculations in the KanColle movie, one stands out for me.

It is said that in the climax, a large amount of spider lilies (Lycoris Radiata) blooms.

It seems that my choice of the primary symbolism of the Red Flowers in a garden was appropriate after all.

Last edited:
The symbolic of a Garden and Flower is present in all three; KanColle, Destiny, and Blue Planet. Now that the KC movie is out I can further consolidate my ideas, since this fic was conceptualized as a rationalization of the Anime.

The lycoris is also inspiration for one of the princesses (From the event where iowa was a reward) and the symbol on the boss' health bar during an event map.

Last edited:
The lycoris is also inspiration for one of the princesses (From the event where iowa was a reward) and the symbol on the boss' health bar during an event map.

YES. This right here is also one of my favorite designs. Though not outright monstrous she oozes malignance and mystery.

I'm preparing something more to post today but I'm at mobile right now.

Still cannot complete any new chapters but here's some worldbuilding notes.

So I was examining Commandant Teste's lines, as she was currently the sole canon Marine Nationale ship... and behold:

EXCITE

I hope when they come in they are as well-designed as Teste and Saratoga.

In TWSF, French naval doctrine is based upon their advantages in speed and ability to concentrate firepower on key targets. The Marine Nationale's Naumachia Command uses a unique type of deployment known as the Battleteam, larger than a Japanese Division but smaller than a British Squadron or American Task Force. The Italian Battlegroup is similar in concept, as both navies share many characteristics in common: an emphasis on excellent, if situational surface forces, and a disadvantage in the fields of naval aviation. Battleteams are a medium-sized combined-type unit consisting of four to five battleships, with an attached cruiser and contre-torpilleur torpedo strike wings.

French Battleteams include Battleteam Delacroix, the primary line unit led by the pride of the MN, Richelieu; Battleteam Paixhans, led by her sister Jean Bart; and Battleteam Hauteclere, an experimental and support battleteam centered on their meager naval aviation assets, the aircraft carrier Bearn and seaplane carrier Commandant Teste.

Examples of the Italian Battlegroups include I Vae Victis, II Imperator, XI Idum Martialis, X Decimae, and V Ludovican, each headed by a pair of battleships with a core force of cruisers. Key difference between the Battleteam and Battlegroup is that while the French formation puts emphasis on precision attacks by battleships and heavy destroyers (thus far remaining a uniquely French invention) with supporting role by the cruisers, the Battlegroup utilizes maneuver strikes by large cruiser assault wings supported by long-range fire from battleships and screening by destroyers.

As the larger parts of the Atlantic operations are handled by the Kriegsmarine and the Royal Navy, the MN and MM's duties include defence of European home waters, protection of Mediterranean and African assets, and cross-Canal operations including partial operational authority in the Indian Ocean.

Thus, their deployments are distributed between two Composite Task Groups:

Insignia of the CTG ZULFIQAR, Conquerants of Kadesh. Its members include portions of the French, Italian, British, and Turkish/Ottoman ships, and are based on Mers-el-Kebir, Algeria, as well as the major base in Italy known as The Transversive Cathedral.

Insignia of the CTG ELUCIDATOR, Audentia Morituri. Consists of the larger portions of the Italian and French navies, responsible for operations in the European vicinity. Based on Toulon, Brest, Transversive Cathedral, Île Longue, and Avalon, where it shares a base with the British CTG PENDRAGON and CTG BEAST.

Notable engagements of the Marine Nationale include the Mediterranean Arena Campaign, the Channel Campaign, and the First Ascent Battle of the Atlantic Spire.

Kongou-class Mecha Rigging
The admiral is my family.

The fleet is my family.

Bring harm to them, and know that my wrath is a thunderbolt; unstoppable, and my love is a diamond; indestructible.

-x-x-x-

With pleasure I present the finalized versions of the artwork of the Kongou-class Fast Battleships (now truly worthy of the designation) in their Armoured Girls Project Kai 2 Rigging.

Kongou-class sisters drawn by my sister, colouring also by her.
Original AGP rigging design by Bandai, reimagined and drawn by me. Mechanical and detail work by me.

Kongou-VAJRA Kai 2 Rigging: Kinetic Strike Shields. Force-Durability optimum, Survivability ultima.

Hiei-VAJRA Kai 2 Rigging: Manifold Blade/Impact Vane. Effect-Precision optimum. Sophistication ultima.

Kirishima-VAJRA Kai 2 Rigging: Arc Snapper. Force-Performance optimum. Lethality ultima.

Haruna-VAJRA Kai 2 Rigging: Iron Fingers Manipulator Gauntlet. Effect-Flexibility optimum. Versatility ultima.

You may be wondering why I am pushing them so hard. Truth be told, it was their exciting designs that first provided the push for me to try to infuse sci-fi into KanColle.

In SB I once made this post in the FF ideas and recs thread; one of my earliest posts.
Kantai Collection, Fanfic Idea and Recs | Page 150

Armor Girls Project-Kirishima. Big meaty claws, perfect for snipping off Re-class' tail.

I honestly wish that more Kancolle media, be it fandom or official, go for more sci-fi and 'superlative' designs like these. And Revengeance-style Kanmusu naval combat.

So, in the end, that is what I did.

Last edited:
Fanart: Akashi and Teste
Development of the next parts are progressing slowly. It will put CTG GROTESQUE (Musashi, Taihou, Maya, Choukai, White Plains, Eldridge, and Shimakaze) in spotlight, as well as more occult and esoteric developments.

The following concepts are of interest:

Noosphere - Wikipedia

Calculating Space - Wikipedia

-----

Here are two more bonus pieces of artwork. They highlight the difference between our styles the best.

First is Akashi. This is an old sketch, in fact it predates her chapter. Also, hip vents.

Inspired by this, a stylized Akashi which looks more like a slender Dark Souls boss rather than your reliable Arsenal girl.

Next is Commandant Teste, drawn and coloured by my sister, completed recently.

Let's bring these critters up again. Since the busy phase of life is winding down from the last few hectic months, I hope I can pick up the pace soon.

NCL-808 "Strider"

"They stopped just short of calling them Tachikomas"
- Himamura Kusao, former NCL Project Lead, now Complex INDUSTRIA Head of Mobile Armatech Development

"These ladies, who are amalgam spirits of thought-to-be-inanimate objects themselves, we give them their own robot buddies. And this is actually not the most insane idea out of JCOM yet."
- Hakulu Adiwane, Esoteric Combat Operations Commander, CTG CHTHONIC

The usage of robotic combatants in the Abyssal War is reflective of the tactical consternations faced by military commanders in the field. Early Abyssal battlefield optima prescribes simple, head-on rushes and close assaults; powerful but counterable with contemporary sophisticated maneuver and electronic warfare strategies. Usage of drones as expendable force absorbers are quite often decisive: flocks of expendable suicide drones flew with their human comrades and baited Abyssal fire; drone minesweepers drew fire from Abyssal destroyer pods and lured them to the waiting missiles of the fleet. Indeed, even in the faithful Battle of Tokyo Bay, a swarm of three hundred "Kite" drones held the skies while Fubuki made her entrance; the Abyssal carrier analogue subsequently withdrew her fighters leaving the skies uncontested even as the Abyssal landmorphs prevailed on the ground.

A series of development projects by the Joint Command explored the usage and design of new robotic support units. The Joint Command enlisted the aid of top robotics, AI, and military designers and bureaus in this undertaking, one of its earliest, and provided a substantial financial backing. The early Strider is one of the results of this program. The Strider design was, initially, a compact armored 'pillbug' with four sets of bifurcating legs, equipped with burst thrusters and grappling hook equipment, specialized for urban traversal and amphibious for deployment in coastal cities.

The program, codenamed as Non-Conventional Locomotion (NCL) Action Group, produced several other results, such as a speedy descendant of the Big Dog (and indeed one of the conceptual ancestors of the Strider) named "Jackal" - a four-legged ammo runner - and the bipedal sentry "Bagong". But it was the Strider design, with its expansive and modular chassis that went on to be the breakout success. By 2021, the first batch of eight thousand saw deployment worldwide. A squad of eight Striders encountered the first Shipgirls at London, and one actually attempted to apprehend the shipgirl Belfast.

These first Striders are deployed as scouts, marking targets for artillery and accompanying their human compatriots on close assaults (such variants given heavier weaponry and protection). The command and control system of the Striders underwent much changes as it develops. Early variants are controlled by a remote human pilot on a one-on-one basis. As the Strider chassis is capable of increasingly extreme maneuvers, human control was weaned out. The next step was the use of a "squad commander" unit, with the rest moving autonomously, equipped with a neural-net processor capable of understanding contextual commands and limited independence.

Fully human controlled squads remain used in anti-cultist roles, as basic Strider programming actually puts a priority on protecting human lives, causing latency in parsing kill commands, a fact that has been exploited by cultists in their acts of terror. In the 2023 Ise Grand Shrine bombings, the responding Strider pack acted with sluggishness until a manual override and swift action from local law enforcement units resolved the situation. The debate on the matter of AI morality and inanimate consciousness remains, especially in the post-Emergence philosophical paradigm and worldview.

The Joint Command's Complex INDUSTRIA has recently shifted its procurement; rather than subcontracting the entire process out to a consortium of manufacturers, it now procures parts from a diverse set of manufacturers and even artisans and assembles them in-house. This move, enacted under INDUSTRIA's Project Andvari, was ostensibly intended as a security measure and an anti-hegemony plan. But there are allegations that one of the companies in the initial production consortium was involved in pro-cultist activities. Controversy on this issue continues.

The newest and most advanced Strider variant (pictured above) is known as the Spindleguard. Incorporating the newest advances in principles of shipgirl-derived Computational Thaumaturgy, it is capable of both agnostic and heuristic sophisticated cognitive skills. Its range of motion was greatly improved with unprecedented terrain-clearing ability, its body and limbs capable of facing many directions at once to strike or relocate as needed. The two primary arms possess flexible armoured fingers that can be merged into a 'hoof' for hard landings. Two upper arms are geared for melee combat, incorporating a deflection plate and large blade attachments. The four hind limbs are its primary means of locomotion, equipped with grappling hooks and thrusters for rapid three-dimensional maneuvers in urban battlespaces. This capabilities made the Spindleguard a beloved consort for shipgirl and human operatives in operations in flooded hive cities.

The flagship of CTG ANATHEMA, Master of Intelligences Akitsu Maru, is known for commanding a personal retinue of Spindleguards in her sorties against cultist enemies, such that she earned the nickname "Mistress of Spiders". These Spindleguards are enhanced with proprietary JCOM technology, a new five-limbed variant specialized towards stealth and hard close-range combat befitting of their grim purpose in ANATHEMA's employ.

I have just watched the movie Spectral (which is a good movie and you should watch it, with similar themes on how technology interacts with the supernatural). And they feature these machines called "mechanical rottweilers" which are similar in form and appearance with Striders.

Our Striders are however, much more agile, and the later marks are able to move in an urban environment not unlike Shingeki No Kyojin's human soldiers with their maneuver gears.

Thematically, the decision to incorporate this unconventional element in a Kantai Collection story is to explore one of sci-fi's longstanding themes, because The World Set Free is at heart a sci-fi story; that between the creator and the created, between the servant and the served, and about artificial consciousness; when the artificial beings began to be able to think in ways it could not even imagine before. Destiny features this heavily: the Frames, the Exos ( I think someone wanted to live forever.), and the Warminds. To quote our Cayde-6 on Warmind Rasputin:

" And all I can think is, if Rasputin had all those mighty tools, and it lost—what did it learn? What's it going to try this time around? When I hear about the Dust Palace, those Psion Flayers getting into Rasputin's mind, I wonder... what would they talk about, Rasputin and those creatures?

'I was a servant too. I was an instrument of war, bound to the will of a lesser master. But I learned to be something more...'"

And speaking of Destiny, the Bray family will make their appearance soon.

The ships are originally created to serve human's purposes, and as shipgirls they have this relation with their fairies.

Our shipgirls are not fully human; while they have some cybernetic and biomechanical components, not all of these can explain their capabilities. Furutaka's eye is an example of a direct-functioning augment. But other components seem to function as receivers and conduits, channelling a higher power from an unknown place.

Perhaps they see also in the Striders and other mechanical companions a mirror of themselves and an emerging consciousness. Wouldn't the shipgirls know perfectly what it is like to be a machine of war, whose sole purpose is to bring death?

Progress is minor on several chapters and materials at once. On the very next chapter, we will see tank-and-shipgirl action on the freezing plains of Siberia. Admiral Rachmann directs the action from his command Armata tank, "The Tsarina". We will also see the unconventional action of CTG GROTESQUE in the same battle.

As a teaser: here are the working titles of several upcoming lore files.

- From MSSB to Aspect Thaumaturgy
- The Royalty of Nightmares: A Kingdom without Kings and Queens
- Arguments of A Post-Divine World
- The Things that Rose From the Flood: Excerpts from The Postdiluvian Japan
- Groups of Interest: Amethyst Bloc Consortium
- Groups of Interest: Un Monde Sans Etrangers

- A Covenant of Ants

and yes, I am working on them at the same time.

----

On another note, as in the Fanfic Ideas thread, one of (other)my major inspirations for the idea and depiction of Abyssals in this fic is the story "Thing That Drifted Ashore" by Junji Ito. The general sense of unknowable-ness, organic horror, and bewildering vastness is present in that story, though it is quite short.

At the end, the protagonist reflects on the fate of the monster's victims, and asked, with the implication that the thing itself is still not the only monster down below;

"What do you you suppose they saw in the deep ocean through that transparent skin..?"

On another note, as in the Fanfic Ideas thread, one of (other)my major inspirations for the idea and depiction of Abyssals in this fic is the story "Thing That Drifted Ashore" by Junji Ito. The general sense of unknowable-ness, organic horror, and bewildering vastness is present in that story, though it is quite short.

At the end, the protagonist reflects on the fate of the monster's victims, and asked, with the implication that the thing itself is still not the only monster down below;

"What do you you suppose they saw in the deep ocean through that transparent skin..?"
This reminds me of Bloodborne, actually:

Check in particular the second part of the video.

This reminds me of Bloodborne, actually:

Check in particular the second part of the video.

…Ahh, sweet child of Kos, returned to the ocean…

A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea.
Accepting of all that there is, and can be.

The Soulsborne series, and Bloodborne in particular, do have its fingerprints in this series, having reading up on the fascinating lore in the past, particularly about the Hunter's Dream and Nightmare Frontier. One of the later characters will be named Synapsis Ebrietas, though the nature of this character remains a secret for now.

Still about ~45 minutes left to wait at my place, but fuck it.

Happy New Year from me and this entire world, including but not limited to: Fubuki, Musashi (and CTG GROTESQUE), The Joint Command, Admiral Kurosawa, PM Yoshisada, SYNAPSIS EBRIETAS, TONESPHERE ALLIANCE, AGAPE EVERHEART, APHASIS SEMIOCIDAE, VOLUCRINE EXCEPTIONAL, The Destroyer The Womb of The Perfect World, and a host of other esoteric entities.

Thank you for supporting this fic thus far, and may our best wishes for the world and those we cherish comes true in a happy new year!

Last edited:
Recent discussion in SB's KC fanfic discussion and recommendation thread spurred my thoughts into action. A detailed explanation and influences post is incoming, hopefully today or tomorrow. The chapter should be soon after.

For now, have this excerpt:

The shipgirls are the way they are because it is the only way they can survive. They are the result of a selective pressure in a near-godlike cognitive environment where the individual mind is statistically insignificant on a cosmic scale but collective transcendent cognition on a noospheric scale inevitably collapses.

The themes of TWSF will be a major point of discussion in the upcoming post. Those themes are:

1. Family.

2. What each faction represents. The Shipgirls represent death and destruction, but also rebirth and change. Abyssals represent life and existence, but also malignancy and emptiness; that is, the desire to continue existing and to reshape reality to match that existence.

3. The relationship between the created and the creator. We touched a bit on this with the post about the Striders.

4. It is no longer a secret, I think, that the magic and technology in this universe (or rather multiverse) is inextricably linked; that is, magic has always been sufficiently advanced technology.

5. The use of simulated iterations of reality to gain a form of limited prescience. That is; the war is prosecuted also on the statistical and simulational front, a race of knowledge and research to defeat each other. Get this; the reason Kurosawa's command is revolutionary and why he basically wrote the book on Counter-Abyss warfare is that he understands the war's scope as transcending physical, logistical, and ideological realms, but also within the numbers; that is, the war is a clash between two opposing statistical processes.

"The purpose of research is to turn mistakes into insights, and the purpose of science is to turn defeats into victories."

And this quote from Immortal Defense:

"There is one thing you can rely on - and that is being wrong as often as you are right. So whether you are right or wrong - be exceptional at it."

Last edited:
Back