KaliQuest (Project Moon/RWBY)

Back on the topic of RWBY and LoR Fanfics, I actually had two ideas for possible ones.

1. A RWBY fanfic that's more or less Snippets. The idea is that the Library got sent to Remnant, and each of the Patron Librarians shows up at Beacon as Guest Teachers. Each of them basically shows off something different for all the students, affecting them in different ways. With Binah psychologically scarring them as she breaks all of the ideologies down one by one.

2. A Fanfic staring Gebura/Roland/Binah in another world. Working idea is High School DXD. Don't have much outside of them just being awesome.

I personally don't like the way the fighting is handled. But that's just cause I like full narrative or full mechanics better. The switch from narrative combat to using dice and pages throws me off.
it does feel rather... odd. It seems like the kinda thing there should be a mechanics post and/or A.N. to explain what's up.
2. A Fanfic staring Gebura/Roland/Binah in another world. Working idea is High School DXD. Don't have much outside of them just being awesome.
"We fight crime": The End :V (RWBY idea sounds fun)

[X] Fight fire with fire, or something
-[X] Meaning, manifest E.G.O. and beat her down
-[X] Let Miris assist; distract Xiao from him so he can do his part uninterrupted

I mean, I guess?

I personally don't like the way the fighting is handled. But that's just cause I like full narrative or full mechanics better. The switch from narrative combat to using dice and pages throws me off.
Hm. You're not the only one that thinks that way - I too, find this current situation a bit awkward. I almost wish I'd stolen a more time-tested combat system as opposed to using Library of Ruina's wholesale. And I really need to find the time to write an informational post explaining how the Quest works. As soon as I figure out how the Quest works...

If it's not obvious, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Anyway. As it is, I've been comparing every single die in the background exactly as it would go in LoR: Focus Spirit vs. Fervid Emotions, Spear vs. Emotional Turbulence, etc. I have been fudging the numbers a bit, but all's fair, I think - Emotion Level 0 Kali would lose almost every one of those clashes otherwise against an Emotion Level V Xiao. Besides, said rolls weren't especially important to show, given how it was effectively just a slugfest between two high-rolling Fixers. The final roll I only showed to indicate that Pu Lao was active, that power effects would be useless next turn.

But you are correct. I need to figure something out here, quick.

Should I simply show every roll and actually start rolling dice, writing the story around that? Or go full narrative and leave out clashes entirely? The only reason I've really been bothering with these loose-and-slow mechanics is to keep track of the HP value, anyway.
Back on the topic of RWBY and LoR Fanfics, I actually had two ideas for possible ones.

1. A RWBY fanfic that's more or less Snippets. The idea is that the Library got sent to Remnant, and each of the Patron Librarians shows up at Beacon as Guest Teachers. Each of them basically shows off something different for all the students, affecting them in different ways. With Binah psychologically scarring them as she breaks all of the ideologies down one by one.

My best idea for a RWBY/LoR cross was probably Sword of Volition. But if I had to pick a second... it involved Teams RWBY and JNPR being invited to the Library, and all of them dying there, eventually. If I ever figure out how LoR modding works, there might be a playable version someday. We'll see.

Also don't slander Binah like that. She wouldn't psychologically scar anybody.

Psychologically (and physically) break them? Maybe. Kind of all or nothing with our favorite ex-Arbiter.
Scheduled vote count started by breakingamber on Aug 11, 2022 at 9:06 AM, finished with 9 posts and 7 votes.

Just go full narrative for now. Or maybe you could borrow Coffee's system from El Dorado, another quest run in LoR setting. IDK how that system gonna hold up at super-high power levels tho.

-[X] Let Miris assist; distract Xiao from him so he can do his part uninterrupted

This is just my personal preferences speaking, but I enjoy narrative Quests a lot more. Especially the writing of them. Having to roll dozens of dice and figure out who does what on that layer, then translate it to the narrative one is draining over time.

Taking "In The Name Of Love And Hatred" as an example: I do the battles narratively, and it is great fun. I mostly check who has what powers and specialties; speedsters versus physical powerhouses, how do ranged attackers factor in, the like. And from there the fight goes. I rarely put things in terms exactly like LoR and definitely do not compare dice values. That may make it more 'faithful' to the game, but feels like a giant chore.

As an aside, this bit of battle felt kind of... undynamic, for lack of a better term. There was a lot of thought from Kali that frankly feels out of place in the middle of a life-or-death struggle. Not content-wise, but in regard to its quantity. Advice I got and read in the past went along the lines of cutting these things for after-action musings and such. Or keeping them short because someone in a fight does not have the time to pontificate at length, even in their own head.

It was not a bad scene, but I wanted to offer my two scents on what I noticed.

Just go full narrative for now. Or maybe you could borrow Coffee's system from El Dorado, another quest run in LoR setting. IDK how that system gonna hold up at super-high power levels tho.
I had the exact same thought. Granted, I could probably go ask SoothingCoffee about it, seeing as they presumably have experience with that system, but I don't really want to bother them with something so trivial.
This is just my personal preferences speaking, but I enjoy narrative Quests a lot more. Especially the writing of them. Having to roll dozens of dice and figure out who does what on that layer, then translate it to the narrative one is draining over time.

Taking "In The Name Of Love And Hatred" as an example: I do the battles narratively, and it is great fun. I mostly check who has what powers and specialties; speedsters versus physical powerhouses, how do ranged attackers factor in, the like. And from there the fight goes. I rarely put things in terms exactly like LoR and definitely do not compare dice values. That may make it more 'faithful' to the game, but feels like a giant chore.

As an aside, this bit of battle felt kind of... undynamic, for lack of a better term. There was a lot of thought from Kali that frankly feels out of place in the middle of a life-or-death struggle. Not content-wise, but in regard to its quantity. Advice I got and read in the past went along the lines of cutting these things for after-action musings and such. Or keeping them short because someone in a fight does not have the time to pontificate at length, even in their own head.

It was not a bad scene, but I wanted to offer my two scents on what I noticed.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated! I'm a big fan of your story.

Conclusion: I'm gonna keep loosely rolling dice in the background, mostly to determine damage values. But other than that, game mechanics should mostly disappear from the narrative. Story-only quest, from now on, unless I have a good reason to change that. Just don't ask why Kali's HP keeps dropping lol.

Finally... hm. It's always been my writing style to write fight scenes as 33% actual fighting, 66% thoughts and context. I figured they'd be boring otherwise, as I've seen that mistake made quite frequently in Wormfic-describing fights only in punches and kicks and slashes and stabs. I've been told at other times it makes my fight scenes look as if they come from a fighting anime, with arguably too much analysis.

Come to think of it, I still enjoyed In The Name of Love and Hate!'s fight scenes, despite most of them not being nearly as verbose. I'll have to give it a reread, see if I can pick up on that style and incorporate it successfully.

I could justify the verbosity of Kali's thought process by virtue of this... honestly not being the worst scrape she's ever been in, as well as her oodles of experience allowing her to mostly move on instinct, giving her time to think and observe. And the City is... basically an anime setting for most intents and purposes. But seeing as how this is a fairly consistent criticism, I'll see if there's anything I can do about it in the future.

Again, thanks to you all for your advice. Next chapter is in the works.

Conclusion: I'm gonna keep loosely rolling dice in the background, mostly to determine damage values. But other than that, game mechanics should mostly disappear from the narrative. Story-only quest, from now on, unless I have a good reason to change that. Just don't ask why Kali's HP keeps dropping lol.

Finally... hm. It's always been my writing style to write fight scenes as 33% actual fighting, 66% thoughts and context. I figured they'd be boring otherwise, as I've seen that mistake made quite frequently in Wormfic-describing fights only in punches and kicks and slashes and stabs. I've been told at other times it makes my fight scenes look as if they come from a fighting anime, with arguably too much analysis.

Come to think of it, I still enjoyed In The Name of Love and Hate!'s fight scenes, despite most of them not being nearly as verbose. I'll have to give it a reread, see if I can pick up on that style and incorporate it successfully.

I could justify the verbosity of Kali's thought process by virtue of this... honestly not being the worst scrape she's ever been in, as well as her oodles of experience allowing her to mostly move on instinct, giving her time to think and observe. And the City is... basically an anime setting for most intents and purposes. But seeing as how this is a fairly consistent criticism, I'll see if there's anything I can do about it in the future.

Again, thanks to you all for your advice. Next chapter is in the works.

Yeah, I think narrative is the best way to do this.

As for combat, I feel like the important thing is a combination of action, thought, and emotion.

Actions to represent what the characters are doing. The action, reaction, and result of attacks and damage.

Thought to represent what the characters are thinking. How they rationalize their actions, how they think the opponent will react, what they think about the damage they've taken.

But one thing tying those two together is the emotion. What a character feels during combat can make or break a fight scene. When people think of Dante from Devil May Cry and how he fights, they always make sure to think about the carefree attitude that he adopts during fights. How he never really sees enemies as threats and clowns on them repeatedly.

Also, HEY! The City isn't an Anime Setting!

It's a Senien, Cyberpunk, Magi-Tech, Dystopian Anime Setting! :V

"We fight crime": The End :V (RWBY idea sounds fun)

For the record, I meant Roland, Gebura, or Binah. Individually. I don't know much about DXD outside of fanfics/Quests, but this idea did pop into my head. The problem comes down to the characters, as it would take place after the Head sends the Library out of the City.

Roland: Can't really think of what he would do. Dude's probably the most complex character outside of Angela. And after everything that happens, not really sure how I would write his character in something like this.

Gebura: She's the one I have the most for. Stuff like her learning that The City doesn't exist here, that Nations are still separate, that Supernatural stuff isn't public knowledge, etc. etc. Had an idea where she just hangs in a Coffee Shop or something until she heals up, ends up in an altercation with a Devil or something. One thing that I wanted was to have a scenario similar to the old couple she mentioned in her backstory. Where she does something to help the Coffee Shop, they show up in her room late at night, she thinks they're there to steal her shit, but really they're preparing a party to thank her for helping them.

Binah: Again, not really sure what she would do. Honestly, I think she would just find a Tea Shop and stay there. But because of how strong she is, people would keep showing up and she'd eventually gather a group around her by virtue of being...her.

As for the RWBY Cross, I will admit I don't like RWBY nearly as much as I do LoR. So, I'm not really interested in the teams or characters that much. But, I do have all these ideas for the characters reacting to the Librarians and their different outlooks. Like Netzach questioning why everyone wants to hurt themselves and others to accomplish their dreams. Or Yesod calling everyone out for not looking deeper into how/why their society/technology works the way it does.

Yeah, I can just point back up to LinkOnScepter's comments above. The difficult part is about packing emotional connectors into as little space as possible, without losing them entirely. It takes some practice. My own spin is to write combat in short scenes; long slugging matches get tedious for me, so I usually just skim through writing scenes like that. Brush over the general flow of combat, who is on the offensive or defensive, a little something on what the PoV combatant feels or thinks of the situation. Then I cut back into the blow-for-blow during pivotal moments.

LoR may obfuscate it somewhat because later fights take so long, but it battles in real-time would actually be quite fast-paced. That lends itself well to the short and brutal combat I prefer writing.

Last edited:
Binah: Again, not really sure what she would do. Honestly, I think she would just find a Tea Shop and stay there. But because of how strong she is, people would keep showing up and she'd eventually gather a group around her by virtue of being...her.
Honestly would be absolutely stoked to see that considering the absolute dearth of Binah content. Always enjoyed that philosophical bloodthirsty monster in human skin that's softened juuust the slightest bit, plus the idea of her just going "Meh, I always liked tea so why not start a shop and relax for once." Is just amusing.

Nice to see another Project Moon fic/quest. It's especially nice that it also features Xiao.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a bog standard character port into Remnant type fic. Though I am partial to Roland who's still in the middle of his rampage getting ported over.

Oh no! Another LoR Quest to read, whatever will I do? *Faint dramatically*

Or keeping them short because someone in a fight does not have the time to pontificate at length, even in their own head.

Unless they're named Angela and experience 100 secs for every 1 in real time. :V

Adding thoughts is not the only way, you can make the fights dynamics by *adding a scenery*, making people interact with their environment can help against potential monotony of actions, funnily enough, *No items, Final destination!* is actually quite boring to describe. Make your fighters jump on trees, knock down chairs while moving or things like that.

Or at least that's my advice as a reader who enjoy well written fights and tries to learn what makes them enjoyable.

Raging Storm 1.3
Raging Storm 1.3
"I'll cover you," you bark, fending off another furious assault. "This bitch… Xiao. Needs to be put down for a nap."

The Fixer's expression, out of the corner of your eye, is torn between instant agreement and defending his Director's honor. But you don't have time for that. Mimicry's incessant babbling, previously just so much background noise, comes to the fore. Your spirit focuses and your mind clears of all distraction.

"Give me the strength I need. To tear my foes apart," you whisper.

You remember that distant, half-imagined line.

Don't you desire a human shell as well?

Who are you fighting for?

Those honest, virtuous eyes…

Why?

As long as I can protect that one person.

But…

Stray thoughts are the most dangerous thing when trying to manifest your E.G.O..

It wasn't enough. You died. How can you protect anyone if you're dead?

The indecision only lasts a moment. But it's enough.

Xiao's dragon swoops down, joining with her wild charge and trailing behind her like…like your own E.G.O., following her movement perfectly, launching her forward with some ridiculous updraft.

This time, your guard doesn't hold. There is extra power behind her blow, this time, an accompanying burst of flame. And you can't seem to muster up any of your own. You're sent sprawling, flying backwards from the miniature explosion. You half-shove Mimicry downward, stalling through the dirt to lower your momentum, regain your footing. Eventually, it catches a tree stump, mostly ashes but just solid enough for your sword to bite into, and you finally can catch your breath.

The Liu Fixer runs into combat once more, his hand contracted into a single point and aiming for Xiao's face, the only part of her body uncovered by her E.G.O., a weapon as deadly as any sword. A wide swing pushes him away, but he ducks under her guard immediately afterward, slashing at her legs and following with an impressive uppercut. She reels.

You've gotten distracted.

Even if I can't protect Carmen. I need to protect this Fixer. He'll die.

You are, if nothing else, obsessed with the act of protection.

And then all you see is red. Your vision narrows down to a single point. Pure power courses through your veins, and Mimicry comes alive in a way you can't really describe. You feel strong enough to take on the world. And for all intents and purposes, you are.

It's almost enough to overcome this dead-awful draining heat.

But not quite.

Everything you do still feels stifled, somehow. Red Mist bottles up in your body, expelled out your E.G.O., and yet it doesn't seem to be helping you like it usually does. The heat is slowly fading, dispersing into the wildfire around you, but in the meantime…

You've got no choice.

Director Xiao whirls her blade around in a grand spinning maneuver, driving away the other close-ranged Fixer. You rush in to take his place, clashing your blade against the haft of her spear, locking her down.

Most weapons can only be in one place at once. Xiao's is no different. The Liu Fixer takes the opportunity to strike at Xiao's back. He strikes at her pressure points with precise, pointed fingers, damaging her even through her armor. The Director is almost unable to defend herself, screaming in fury.

Xiao twists her guandao, breaking the deadlock and slamming its butt against the ground. You score a devastatingly solid blow on her shoulder, wrenching it from its socket with an audible crack, but it almost doesn't matter: the earth shakes, the air exploding all around you. A spontaneous combustion. An attack seemingly unaffected, and, if anything, boosted by her fiery aura.

You blunt the impact of the first explosion, drawing your E.G.O. tight around you. But the second explosive smash of her spear catches you off guard—didn't expect her to still be able to attack after dislocating her shoulder.

Your temporary comrade in arms weathers the sudden area attack with less grace, which sets his coat on fire. He hurriedly puts it out as Xiao comes at you for another round.

You agree with the other Fixer, now. She's on her last legs. Her hand moves up the shaft of her weapon, wielding it as an awkward sword singlehandedly. And while it's clear she has skill with a longsword, and the blade is as dangerous and sharp and blazing as ever, she's better with a polearm.

The draining heat aura is finally dying down, which means you're getting stronger with every passing second. Xiao, meanwhile, has lost the use of an arm. When you clash, you easily overpower her, driving her blade aside as if it's not even there, the thrums of power in your body finally finding an outlet. And now that she has slightly more control, even in this raging state, she cannot exert much force against her own subordinate. Her loss of range is also to her detriment, allowing him to get in closer more easily.

Victory is nearly guaranteed. There's not much more she can do to you.

She seems to realize this, but she doesn't give up. If anything, she fights with even greater ferocity, fires roaring ever-brighter. Despite the fact that she's up against the strongest Fixer in the City and a subordinate she cannot bear to harm, she slashes and stabs unrelentingly.

Admirable. But ultimately, in this circumstance, highly destructive.

Xiao's attempts another stab. You sidestep. Mimicry lashes out in response, flesh pulling back and the blade curving to the side, briefly becoming a scythe. It latches around your opponent's weapon, locking it in place yet again.

You pull.

The Liu Fixer catches the blade as it flies across the newly-made clearing. Then he immediately drops it with a shout, nursing his burned hands. Xiao stands there in shock, disarmed.

You hear a roaring flame. You look up.

Xiao's dragon is descending for another pass, barreling straight towards the ground.. And the woman herself is not quite beaten. But you will not make the same mistake as last time. And a single good hit will deplete the last of her resolve.

The final Scene, before curtain call.

You ready your blade and, with all of your might, split the world in half…

- [ ] Horizontally.

- [ ] Vertically.

HP: 593

A/N: Pick a finisher.

Unrelated side note, since the fight is all but over: In terms of mechanics, Xiao gets -3 Power to all dice targeting Miris, as well as dealing half as much Burn. This is the only reason why he is still alive. And naturally, it wouldn't apply during Pu Lao Scenes, which are the ones he got his ass beat on.

I was also going to punish you for activating E.G.O. during power null, but figured, lorewise, it wouldn't make that much sense.

I was also going to punish you for activating E.G.O. during power null, but figured, lorewise, it wouldn't make that much sense.
Another reason not to do this is that Power Null is difficult to work around in a narrative sense. Not to mention that nowhere in Xiao's Quest profile says she can do it, or how it relates to any potential mechanics. So punishing the Thread for not realising that LoR game mechanics translate literally into this narrative medium is... iffy. Good decision not to do it.

I am also a little confused why Gebura's E.G.O. activation focusses so much on Mimicry, which is an extra. Her own E.G.O. is her fancy cyclops armour.

Now, looking at finishers. Horizontal may be weaker, but Vertical is a Mass Attack and may just kill Miris on accident. It may also kill Xiao via overkill, now that I think about it. The only non-friendly fire in this situation is the burning forest. So yeah, I rather go with Horizontal.

[X] Horizontally

Another reason not to do this is that Power Null is difficult to work around in a narrative sense. Not to mention that nowhere in Xiao's Quest profile says she can do it, or how it relates to any potential mechanics. So punishing the Thread for not realising that LoR game mechanics translate literally into this narrative medium is... iffy. Good decision not to do it.

I am also a little confused why Gebura's E.G.O. activation focusses so much on Mimicry, which is an extra. Her own E.G.O. is her fancy cyclops armour.

Now, looking at finishers. Horizontal may be weaker, but Vertical is a Mass Attack and may just kill Miris on accident. It may also kill Xiao via overkill, now that I think about it. The only non-friendly fire in this situation is the burning forest. So yeah, I rather go with Horizontal.

[X] Horizontally

Uh, Horizontal is the Mass Attack.

- [X] Vertically

[X] Vertically

It is a good thing you didn't, as someone who haven't played library yet, I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to and can point out that absolutely nothing indicated that it could even be a bad idea in the text.

[X] Vertically

It is a good thing you didn't, as someone who haven't played library yet, I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to and can point out that absolutely nothing indicated that it could even be a bad idea in the text.

Power is basically a way to get a higher number on your dice in game. Some enemies came with the ability "Power Null" that would stop Power from affecting dice rolls for a scene/round.

Xiao was the first Boss to feature this and, for a while, was the main counter to Gebura/Kali's Unga Bunga Red Mist go brrr floor.

However, there is no real lore reason why Power Null is a thin. Nor is it wide spread outside of Arbiters from the Head like Binah. Though then it makes sense cause they have J Corp's Lock Singularity. The one that let's them lock down concepts.

Split the dragon down the middle?

Split the dragon down the middle

[X] Vertically

Back