Jurassic World: Dominion

variety.com

‘Jurassic World: Dominion’ Sinks Teeth Into $16.7 Million at International Box Office

'Jurassic World: Dominion' is off to a roaring start with $16.7 million at the international box office.
The blockbuster hopeful opened in 15 major markets this week, including the likes of Italy, Mexico and Brazil, and has already sunk its teeth into $16.7 million through Thursday. "Jurassic World: Dominion" is expected to bring in more than $45 million this weekend, giving it a healthy head start before it opens in U.S. theaters on June 10.

... In Italy, the film grossed $1.3 million, 75% above the most recent sequel, "Fallen Kingdom"; in Mexico the film has grossed $5.1 million and scored the third best second day performance of the pandemic era; and in South Korea the film has racked up $8.4 million since opening in the middle of the week. The film is also playing in Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Bolivia, Uruguay, Paraguay and Venezuela.

Numbers after the first weekend.
variety.com

Box Office: ‘Jurassic World Dominion’ Bites Into $55 Million Internationally

"Jurassic World Dominion" kicked off at the international box office with a mighty $55.5 million from 15 markets.
The sixth installment in Universal's dinosaur-centric franchise opened in 15 major overseas markets over the weekend, playing on roughly 10,000 screens across Mexico, Korea, Brazil, Italy and more.

"Jurassic World: Dominion" had the biggest start in Mexico with $18 million, followed by Korea with $15 million, Brazil with $4.3 million and Italy with $3.4 million. The film will continue its international rollout throughout June in France, Germany, Australia, Spain, the United Kingdom, China and Japan.

Reviews are in, apparently it's awful. I mean, I'm not surprised given Trevorrow's track record but damn, at this point you'd think he (or even the studio) would learn something.

Reviews are in, apparently it's awful. I mean, I'm not surprised given Trevorrow's track record but damn, at this point you'd think he (or even the studio) would learn something.
"Awful Movie Makes Millions" isn't that huge a surprise, really. Don't get me wrong, I'd dearly love to see this thing crash and burn as hard as Morbius but given the last two Jurassic World movies were terrible and still made bank...

I expected it to be bad, but not this bad, one particular plot reveal had me rolling in the theater

The clone girl isn't really a clone girl, it turns out her mom just naturally reproduced asexually via parthenogenesis like a monitor lizard (film specifically references it). No external science involved, just... became pregnant with herself.

But that's not it! Not-clone lizard child had a bunch of health problems when she was younger, so her elite geneticist mom somehow cured all her genetic ailments in a way that can cure like all diseases.

The clone girl isn't really a clone girl, it turns out her mom just naturally reproduced asexually via parthenogenesis like a monitor lizard (film specifically references it). No external science involved, just... became pregnant with herself.

But that's not it! Not-clone lizard child had a bunch of health problems when she was younger, so her elite geneticist mom somehow cured all her genetic ailments in a way that can cure like all diseases.
Well, that's... why? I mean, I just... what exactly is the point of introducing that plot twist?

Well, that's... why? I mean, I just... what exactly is the point of introducing that plot twist?

Character-wise, she was all mopey about being a clone and "not a real person" and it apparently makes her feel better to not be a clone but to have a mother... because being some weird mutant abomination that is so convoluted there isn't even a name for what she is apparently somehow better.

Plot-wise, her somehow being able to "correct" DNA made her key to the "cure" of evil genetically engineered locusts.

...Like, that's not really even a satisfying answer to the theme of 'If I'm different, I'm not a real person'? Like, that kind of seems to be a shitty answer?

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Box Office: ‘Jurassic World Dominion’ Bites Off $145M Opening

The movie easily won the weekend even as 'Top Gun: Maverick' continued to fly high in its third outing.
Jurassic World Dominion devoured an estimated $143.4 million from 4,676 theaters in its domestic opening after roaring to a Friday gross of $59.6 million. Globally, the summer tentpole finished Sunday with a total of $389 million as the box office recovery continued to gain momentum.

Jurassic World Dominion came in narrowly behind 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ($148 million) and notably behind 2015's Jurassic World ($208.8 million), but boasts one of the biggest openings of the pandemic era. It even beat Top Gun 2's three day opening of $126.7 million, although it isn't an apples-to-apples comparison since Maverick's four day launch was $260 million.

Critics ravaged the film, but audiences disagreed, giving it an A- CinemaScore and solid exits on PostTrak. Jurassic World Dominion presently has a 34 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest of any title in the iconic dino series.

Dominion is one of the few Hollywood tentpoles to get a release date in China, where it opened to a promising $52.2 million. While that's behind Fallen Kingdom several years ago ($111 million), Dominion will easily rank as the biggest Hollywood opening in China this year, topping The Batman's lackluster $12.1 million debut in March. (Some of 2022's top Hollywood earners like Paramount's Top Gun: Maverick and Marvel's Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness have been denied China releases by Beijing regulators due to political reasons.)

I really hope this kills the whole "box office take = quality" argument dead.

edit- notably though, it had less take than the other 2 movies, and less than the first jurrasic world by far.

Last edited:

Issued for realizing, belatedly, that starving millions of people and destroying the ecosystem with giant bioengineered locusts was a bad idea. Presumably, you turned your back on your life of dino-crime, but my personal headcanon is that it was this one scheme in particular that stepped over the line, and not long after the end of the movie you issued your patent for Tyrannosaurus Killosaurus as you continued to live your best life.

Issued for realizing, belatedly, that starving millions of people and destroying the ecosystem with giant bioengineered locusts was a bad idea. Presumably, you turned your back on your life of dino-crime, but my personal headcanon is that it was this one scheme in particular that stepped over the line, and not long after the end of the movie you issued your patent for Tyrannosaurus Killosaurus as you continued to live your best life.

Love how they always hype up the fact that Dr. Wu's in the film as if it's some big fucking deal and then he has like a scene or two where he wears a lab coat and says "This time the dinosaur is evil"

Shout out to BD Wong for getting the bag though

A- Cinemascore, which is given by audiences. Other A- scores in recent times? Dune. The Batman. No Time to Die. Heck, A- is even higher than Doctor Strange 2, which only got a B+. So yeah, according to moviegoers, it's a good movie.

That seems like the definition of selection bias. The people who are going to review this movie are the people who wanted to go see it. And I can't imagine many people didn't know what they were in for by this point.

All the movie had to do was deliver big cool stompy dinosaurs and it would have gotten like 80% target audience approval.

Last edited:
Back