Interstellar

Interstellar is my new favourite film.

Pretty much everything positive I have to say has already been said, but I'll just add that I absolutely loved the designs for the robots - seeing such uncompromisingly utilitarian designs realised in a big-budget movie was glorious! And of course they were wonderful as characters (TARS evoked much platonic love from me).

Also, the music. Dear Lord in Heaven, the music! It was Magnificent!

Just listening to this gives me chills (2:40 onwards, or 3:42 if you're impatient and want to skip the build-up).

I'm serious: it wasn't a very interesting or compelling movie for me- definitely not worth the price of admission for watching in the cinema and arguable if it's worth borrowing as a DVD movie.

I enjoyed the experience of watching this film more than any other film that I can remember, and nothing you or anyone else says can take that away from me.

You know that line makes me want a movie about robots AI's out to save humanity. On the outside they are viewed as the unholy combination of all EVIL AI's in fiction. On the inside it shows the AI's going with desperate bids to save their beloved creators.

There's a one-shot manga story based on a similar idea, called Hotel. The premise is that humanity has broken the environment beyond repair and the extinction of all life on the planet is inevitable as Earth becomes another Venus. The story follows the AI manager of a megastructure charged with protecting the stored DNA of Earth-based life, as it struggles to endure for countless millenia in a hostile environment. The story, especially the ending, is incredibly heart-wrenching.

I enjoyed the experience of watching this film more than any other film that I can remember, and nothing you or anyone else says can take that away from me.
Well, I'm happy for you then, and wish I could have had the experience you had with this specific movie. After all, you can't fix taste. :p

The music was decent at times, but never really that memorable.

So after finding a theater sort-of-vaguely in my area that was apparently showing Interstellar in True-70mm-As-Chris-Nolan-Intended-It format, I immediately convinced my whole family (parents haven't seen it yet) that we needed to go see it that way and bought advance tickets. I mean, it was kind of weird that the theater was part of a local technology museum instead of a cineplex and was an "IMAX Dome" theater, but hey, worth it for The True Interstellar Experience, right?

Of course, only after I bought the tickets (no refunds!) did I do some actual research and find out that the theater in question does not change its setup at all for flatscreen IMAX movies (as opposed to movies, usually documentaries, made for IMAX Dome), and that the experience of trying to watch a flatscreen movie projected upward onto a dome screen (with seats that don't recline) is, in fact, a very literal pain in the neck. :facepalm:

I dunno, not much I can do about it at this point (we're seeing it tomorrow, and, again, no refunds), but has anyone ever seen an standard IMAX movie on a dome screen? How bad is it?

There's a one-shot manga story based on a similar idea, called Hotel. The premise is that humanity has broken the environment beyond repair and the extinction of all life on the planet is inevitable as Earth becomes another Venus. The story follows the AI manager of a megastructure charged with protecting the stored DNA of Earth-based life, as it struggles to endure for countless millenia in a hostile environment. The story, especially the ending, is incredibly heart-wrenching.
My god that hurt me. It hurt far more than it should have.

So after finding a theater sort-of-vaguely in my area that was apparently showing Interstellar in True-70mm-As-Chris-Nolan-Intended-It format, I immediately convinced my whole family (parents haven't seen it yet) that we needed to go see it that way and bought advance tickets. I mean, it was kind of weird that the theater was part of a local technology museum instead of a cineplex and was an "IMAX Dome" theater, but hey, worth it for The True Interstellar Experience, right?

Of course, only after I bought the tickets (no refunds!) did I do some actual research and find out that the theater in question does not change its setup at all for flatscreen IMAX movies (as opposed to movies, usually documentaries, made for IMAX Dome), and that the experience of trying to watch a flatscreen movie projected upward onto a dome screen (with seats that don't recline) is, in fact, a very literal pain in the neck. :facepalm:

I dunno, not much I can do about it at this point (we're seeing it tomorrow, and, again, no refunds), but has anyone ever seen an standard IMAX movie on a dome screen? How bad is it?

Just came back from seeing it at the IMAX dome. Worries unfounded. Experience...indescribable. Doctors say normal brain function should return in a week or so.

I am amused that the 'sound issues' some people are complaining about are not issues at all.

The director DELIBERATELY fucked with the sound.

Nolan, you magnificent troll, you. *lol*

I am amused that the 'sound issues' some people are complaining about are not issues at all.

The director DELIBERATELY fucked with the sound.

Nolan, you magnificent troll, you. *lol*

Yeah, it's pretty obvious on a second viewing. The dialogue that gets obscured is generally irrelevant anyway; what the characters are doing in those scenes matters more than what they're saying.

Also, much hype: Interstellar Official Soundtrack getting a release tomorrow!

Aside from standouts like Inception, I usually find much of Zimmer's stuff extremely repetitive and droning, but urgh, even just listening to bad recordings on Youtube gave me shivers.

Dat organ though...

My mom simply cannot remember Interstellar's title properly. I've heard pretty much every variation of Inter[something] at this point, often within the same conversation, including one bizarre turn where she suddenly began telling me about how Instagram was a smash hit in Korea due to its family themes.

My mom simply cannot remember Interstellar's title properly. I've heard pretty much every variation of Inter[something] at this point, often within the same conversation, including one bizarre turn where she suddenly began telling me about how Instagram was a smash hit in Korea due to its family themes.
Not... completely untrue, probably.

Well, after watching the movie, there's not much I can say that hasn't been said at all. Great plot, much science love, saw the time shenanigans a mile a way, loved it.

What I can say that hasn't been said yet is: "Holy crap, we became a Mythos species in the future!"

What I can say that hasn't been said yet is: "Holy crap, we became a Mythos species in the future!"
As in Cthulhu Mythos? Too dark of a revelation for an optimistic ending. I got more of a Downstreamers vibe from that scene. Granted, I haven't read Manifold: Time and given that it's a Stephen "the Imperium of Man is for pussies" Baxter book perhaps that isn't any better.

As in Cthulhu Mythos? Too dark of a revelation for an optimistic ending. I got more of a Downstreamers vibe from that scene. Granted, I haven't read Manifold: Time and given that it's a Stephen "the Imperium of Man is for pussies" Baxter book perhaps that isn't any better.

The downstreamers are practically eldritch abominations. They're so distantly removed from us we've got nothing in common, and they don't exactly have our best interests in mind.

They end up causing a vacuum metastability event in our time that destroys the entire universe in favor of a new one with a metric fuckton of black holes. Because in the manifold series black hole evolution is a thing, this ensures that universes congenial to life become the dominant universes. The downstreamers saw that as a better fate than endlessly repeating the same thoughts in their universal supercomputer stuck at the end of heat death.

I can follow their logic, but its not exactly a nice way of doing things.

As for the future humans of interstellar, I can totally see that happening. Once we're off the planet the universe will have a hard time killing our species. If we manage to get a few colonies independant from earth I find it hard to imagine anything wiping us out in the next few billion years. And if we can get from powered flight to a lunar landing in70 years then surely we can figure out time travel in a few billion.

Being terribly late in seeing the film today all I have to say is, TARS and CASE best robobros 10/10 would save humanity with again.

Took a date to this last Friday having heard absolutely nothing about it other than, "It's good!" and "Burd, you'll like it!"

This is probably the first time I've ever sat through an entire movie (A three hour long movie no less!) where I couldn't bring myself to get up and satiate my walnut sized bladder's demands to urinate.

I also lost all feeling in my arm due to how hard my lady friend was gripping me, she said the same thing about her hand. Once this movie starts laying on the tension, it does not let up until the very end.

The only real complain I have about it is that I sometimes had issue hearing the dialogue due to the dramatic swelling of music, and even then I'd still give it a solid 9.5/10. It's not often that I'm glad I saw a movie in the theater rather than waiting for it to come out on DVD/Blue Ray and I'm honestly worried that watching it on a regular TV won't do this magnificent film justice.

Back