Interstellar

Also, jettisoning the landers makes sense if the Endurances engines are still firing, since it reduces the mass they have to push.

Eh, that would make sense if they were spent one before the other. As far as I could tell, Endurance doesn't have any engines of its own.

Just got back from watching it. Phew. What a ride.
What were they using to push those landers and Rangercraft around, aerospikes? Powered by solar energy? Because damn, they can book it.

I'm a bit weirded out, oddly enough, by of all things, the color schemes of the flight suits at the very end. Is there something we need to know? Are there INTERCOLONIAL SPACE BATTLES happening that their gear looks strangely like Navy flight gear, and we never get to see them?

Those robots were more human than a lot of main characters this year. Props. And nice of them to use that design.

And how are they guaranteeing food production on board the colony stations? Last we saw their crops were down to fail.

Last edited:
And how are they guaranteeing food production on board the colony stations? Last we saw their crops were down to fail.
In a close ecosystem its not that difficult to keep out certain bugs...
But before the invention of artificial gravity they had no way move that much mass into orbit easily.

So I just got back from watching Interstellar in IMAX with my brother and his friend.

Holy. Shit. :o

I expected the movie to be somewhat dark with a lot of rough spots, but damn! I seriously didn't expect for there to be so many Despair Event Horizons (which is funnily appropriate considering that a black hole is one of the central plot elements). The massive time jump coupled with the subsequent message video sequence, the fact that Dr. Brand essentially gave up on saving Earth and lied to everyone to ensure the success of the seeding mission, and Dr. Mann going insane and turning on everyone to save himself were all heartbreaking in their own ways.

I really liked the effects used in this film. The planetary environments were fantastic, and both the wormhole passage and Gargantua were also amazing. TARS and CASE were some of the most likeable characters in this movie, which is an terrific feat for robotic AI characters. I'm glad that Interstellar avoided using the whole "AI turns on the crew" schtick.

Finally...that climax/ending. That was some 2001: A Space Odyssey shit right there. It was both completely unexpected and freaking awesome! The fact that they included an O'Neill Cylinder colony at the end was a real treat too.

Unfortunately, the heavier moments in the movie affected my brother quite a bit, and he had a to wait a few minutes after the end to calm down enough to leave the theater. I'll let him tell you how Interstellar broke him like Bane.

Thank you Bob.

So uhhhh...I've learned very important thing in a magnitude that Gravity (the movie) could never hope to achieve.

Space is god damn scary. Space is also Cthulhu. Rolling oceans of space. Compared to the vast infinite of the dark void, we are frackin' nothing. Tiny little meatbags at the mercy of its plane of madness. Black holes are also the worst. Too much wibbly wobbly, timey wimey crap goin' on there.

To put into perspective how bad it broke me, at the end, I was hyper-ventilating, tears streaming down my eyes, and attempting not to vomit while having a maddening existential episode. Sooooo I'm never going to be an astronaut and I'm GLAD. I don't care how the good the view is, Space is Cthulhu and I don' got time fo' dat noise.

Coincidentally, the moon was red/yellow when I looked as we drove back.

It knows. It knows.

So I take it you don't want to know about how tidal forces from a black hole will rip things apart before they reach the singularity?

Actually, that was what bothered me, after I finally calmed down. I was sitting there, wondering at what point the ship was going to get shredded or crushed, the moment when Cooper would die. Especially after he EJECTED into the black hole (I'm not sure why he still did that. I mean, was that really going to save him, in his eyes?). But then they tossed that mind-boggler at us, so I was content to ignore that cinema sin.

At least until I was finished attempting to not projectile vomit all over the people in the row in front of me.

Thank you Bob.

So uhhhh...I've learned very important thing in a magnitude that Gravity (the movie) could never hope to achieve.

Space is god damn scary. Space is also Cthulhu. Rolling oceans of space. Compared to the vast infinite of the dark void, we are frackin' nothing. Tiny little meatbags at the mercy of its plane of madness. Black holes are also the worst. Too much wibbly wobbly, timey wimey crap goin' on there.

To put into perspective how bad it broke me, at the end, I was hyper-ventilating, tears streaming down my eyes, and attempting not to vomit while having a maddening existential episode. Sooooo I'm never going to be an astronaut and I'm GLAD. I don't care how the good the view is, Space is Cthulhu and I don' got time fo' dat noise.
Oh? This was like totally the reverse for me. I was both scared shit and awed the same time watching Gravity. With Interstellar it mostly boils to 'nicely done space action'. Not trying to demean your perpective or anything. Just commenting on how we got both so diametrically opposite impression.

I'l also say that personally, as scary space is, if I ever got the chance to go to space, winning a space ticket lottery, act of ROB, or what, I would. It's scary, dangerous and all that. To mind and body alike. Yet I still love it all the same. Love it all the more even. I think Gravity is a great space movie, among other things, because it can make me scared of space.

So, if you ever got a free ticket to space, pass it to me, friend. :) I'll get you some souvenirs. :)

Unfortunately, the movie itself was diet 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Uninteresting characters, predictable twists (
seriously they couldn't have made the poor Dr any more telegraphed as the "insane survivor" if he'd had a goatee and his death by stupidity crossed the line into comedy
), unimpressive effects, a meandering plot that failed to keep interest despite the highest stakes possible, and all around a borefest.

Good aspects...the robot design. The water planet wasn't terrible. The bit where it ended.

3/10 would probably not rent on DVD. Wish I'd just gone and watched Fury a second time instead; that was a paint by numbers war movie, but it was a lovingly made, fun war movie with tanks that had a decent sense of pacing.

Last edited:
. Especially after he EJECTED into the black hole (I'm not sure why he still did that. I mean, was that really going to save him, in his eyes?)
In my eyes, I'm thinking acceleration was basically knocking him out, and the computer (on the fritz) is saying eject, eject, triggering a PTSD flashback from his shuttle accident, so he ejects and... "Whoops. Well, I was probably dead anyway."

As for an impression:

It's 2001 with a more positive message about technology.
2001 made the average viewer come away with the image that HAL was the villain (despite the fact he was a victim of trying to do his job when mission parameters had been programmed poorly), so the message was Humans will prevail when technology fails us (something something floating space baby).

This movie gives the message that technology can help us, and it's the human element that can fail us. But it's also the human element that can see us through. Technology alone is not a miracle solution, but it is also not the problem.

Also, loving the tags for this.

Finally - that one scene near the end
In the hangar on Cooper Station, maintenance guy is walking down the line checking his birds. Stops, doubletakes and... "Oh, I'm gonna be in so much trouble for this."

Last edited:
Just got back, pretty fucking great. I agree the robots were pretty fucking cool and actually interesting characters in their own rights. The ending got a little 2001-y, I agree, but I think
The fact they needed Cooper actually made complete sense: 'they' are so far above us it's probably not even how microbes are to us. They knew a place was important, but not exactly how to communicate, which is why they have to nab their own little microbe to solve the puzzle for them. Also, the Dr.'s speech about love was poetic, but I didn't think it was being anti-science at all: the two other science people in the room think it's a nice sentiment and move the fuck on. Even during the scene in the tessaract Cooper's not even interacting via 'love' -- he's doing it via gravity and by navigating the ordered data presented to him. That being said, whatever her reason -- love, she actually thought it was the best bet -- she was right.

I also really loved the look and feel of the film. The world went to shit so long ago (long enough ago that we SVers would be the grandpa by then) that they haven't made anything new or high-tech like MRIs, helping justify why everything looks like it was made in the 2000's. But the rangers, the supply ships, and the robots all looked pretty fucking slick too.

I'm a bit weirded out, oddly enough, by of all things, the color schemes of the flight suits at the very end. Is there something we need to know? Are there INTERCOLONIAL SPACE BATTLES happening that their gear looks strangely like Navy flight gear, and we never get to see them?

I think this is a perfect example of showing and not telling like Athene mentioned. They said in the start that things were too scarce to have armies: now that they are actually out of the hole, suddenly our spaceships are a jet black and the flight suits looking pretty military. Now there's something worth fighting over again.

I'd really love to visit this universe again in another 50, 100, 200 years from the end. I think the way the setting works and the development they laid out would make for some interesting further stories, even if the current one completely stands on its own.

Guess I just need to find a black hole...

Last edited:
I watched interstellar a few days ago, I liked the imagery, how well the models of the entire movie was created, the robots and that beautiful black hole.

I have a feeling that the Black hole was simply a simulation built by the others to hold and hide the time tesseract. The sole reason why it did not crush him was because he had entered past the simulation into the tesseract itself. It was pretty much an extremely advanced computer focused on one bedroom stretching from its creation to its destruction.

Also I am loving the tags.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the movie itself was diet 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Uninteresting characters, predictable twists (
seriously they couldn't have made the poor Dr any more telegraphed as the "insane survivor" if he'd had a goatee and his death by stupidity crossed the line into comedy
), unimpressive effects, a meandering plot that failed to keep interest despite the highest stakes possible, and all around a borefest.

Good aspects...the robot design. The water planet wasn't terrible. The bit where it ended.

3/10 would probably not rent on DVD. Wish I'd just gone and watched Fury a second time instead; that was a paint by numbers war movie, but it was a lovingly made, fun war movie with tanks that had a decent sense of pacing.
Gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

I'm serious: it wasn't a very interesting or compelling movie for me- definitely not worth the price of admission for watching in the cinema and arguable if it's worth borrowing as a DVD movie.
Sorry, but your "review" provided nothing of real substance with complaints boiling down to "I thought it was boring because, also something something 2001 Space Odyssey" and seemed like the average YouTube comment whining about something they didn't like, so you'll have to forgive me for thinking that you were, in fact, joking.

The characters were uninteresting. The twists were downright painfully telegraphed, or in one case a nonsensical hand-wave. The acting failed to be convincing for the stakes- they could have replaced the actors with more of the block-robots and the movie would have been better for it. The plot made little to no sense. Calling it Diet 2001 is actually somewhat unfair to a much better written and better made movie.

Last edited:
Okay. What did you find uninteresting about the characters?
What did you dislike about the twists? Did you predict that Mann's planet would be inhospitable? Did you predict that Dr. brand never expected them to make it back? Those are two simple examples you could answer.
What part of the acting made you feel it was insufficient? The danger and seriousness of the dust storms or the near deaths of the crew on the water planet were insufficient in your opinion?
The only part of the plot that really makes not enough sense is probably the Sci-fi ending, which isn't all that nonsensical since
the tesseract was made by future humanity.

The characters were uninteresting. The twists were downright painfully telegraphed, or in one case a nonsensical hand-wave. The acting failed to be convincing for the stakes- they could have replaced the actors with more of the block-robots and the movie would have been better for it. The plot made little to no sense. Calling it Diet 2001 is actually somewhat unfair to a much better written and better made movie.

You know that line makes me want a movie about robots AI's out to save humanity. On the outside they are viewed as the unholy combination of all EVIL AI's in fiction. On the inside it shows the AI's going with desperate bids to save their beloved creators.

From the moment they started shilling the generic Doctor who organized the failed space project- the best of us, a genius, someone who could do no wrong-with no real prior appearances, the alarm bells should have been going off. The fact his cabin looked like a mad axe murderer had been through it was another nail in that coffin, the disabled bot was extremely suspicious, the vague, incoherent mumbling about how "it's habitable, honest!" made it practically certain, and his sudden but unexpected betrayal was obvious enough that it'd have been an amazing twist if he had been telling the truth.

The cowardly survivor lying to save his own skin is a tired, tired cliche as is the "betrayal by hero figure". His comical suicide by docking ring was just the icing on the cake of bad writing, and the less said about the implausible "magical docking to a crashing ship" the better.

Dr. Brand not expecting them to make it back was pretty much guaranteed from the moment he started enthusiastically talking about embryos as a secondary plan. Was him acting as though it was the only realistic hope for humanity meant to be a surprise as such? It certainly didn't come over as one with the prior scenes about the gravity problem.

The danger and seriousness of the dust storms came over as... Dust Bowl Oklahoma. No threat at all. The school scenes were comically overplayed. (We don't need that evil science that got us into this mess!)

As I said, the water planet was fairly well done, one of the few such things in this film.

The Sci Fi ending and time travel "twist" (honestly, when the aliens started writing in english about specific events on the daughter's bedroom floor, that's a fairly huge hint that it's a time travel plot) were pretty much the nadir of what was an aggressively mediocre film to begin with.

Last edited:
I did think they pumped Mann up a bit too much.

I thought the water planet was rather weaker, to be honest. The other dude just dies within inches of the spacecraft. I get that it was supposed to indicate that Brand pushed too hard and got him killed, but it just seemed weird that he was close enough to wait for her to go in first only to die himself.

It was a pretty big leap to take lines on the floor as communication, yes. One would not expect such things of a purely natural anomaly, and who would suspect an unnatural one?

But with Professor Brand, I think the crux of the issue is that, while he's said that he doesn't have the solution to gravity manipulation yet, he says he's working on it. The reality is he figured out long ago that the equations were mathematically impossible to solve without more physical data. He intentially tried gibberish approaches to obfuscate that he was not actually doing anything. There's a difference between not expecting a solution yet trying anyway and knowing that there no solution possible yet saying there might be one eventually.

The disconnect is still small enough that it didn't work for the sense of betrayal they were trying to convey.

Well I just watched this and *holy shit*! 9.5/10

The movie was even meta in the sense that it simulated time dilation - mere minutes passed from my perspective and suddenly I'm 3 hours in the future!:p

Though as a transhumanist I can't help but walk away with the moral being to ensure you develop indefinite life extension before interstellar travel. ;)
Yeah, yeah, they have an out in that the blight followed by the stresses of moving their entire society into space definitely adversely affected medical research. I was still hoping when the hospital scene came up that the lady besides the doctor would be Murph in her second, cloned body after the first one got too old.

Last edited:
Back