Shockz said:
Derp. Just realized I made a minor error in the last chapter; it only became apparent after I noticed the TVTropes editors had drawn a somewhat erroneous conclusion from it. Fixed now (at least in the SB version); spot the difference!
I thought it was intentional - "in this universe, the last book has a different title"
Mysterius said:
and the error the TV tropes editor made was in assuming this was meant to be an AU Song of Fire and Ice, rather than a hypothetical sequel.
You know I'm right here, right?

Is it still a ficional document if the book hasn't been released yet?

herpaderp said:
Reading Touma's POV makes me scared that he's gonna end up being worse than canon.
herpaderp said:
Well it's just the way he monologues. He could be the same if not more annoying than canon.
Criticism is always appreciated. Could you expand on that? Like, what exactly do you find annoying about his narration, both in canon and in my story?
I'm also not sure about Touma's 8 year martial arts training. Was it necessary? o_O
Again, criticism appreciated, more detail required. What's wrong with him taking self-defense classes?
I just hope he doesn't get precognition or have an invisible monster pop out when his arm's sliced off. :p
I will confirm that Touma's right hand does not contain the Invisible Dragon of Plothax.

herpaderp said:
I dunno, I feel like Touma is very similar to his canon counterpart in this fic (Touma's even saving the delinquents like in volume 1). Him being all sarcastic (is it snarky? is that what they call it?) and lamenting his bad luck (i thought this was a cheap way to paint Touma as being sympathetic in canon) doesn't really help.
Perhaps you're looking for "droll"? Or dry wit? Personally, I thought Touma's narration in this fic came across pretty well.

As for his luck, I wasn't a fan of Touma's comically-contrived mishaps in canon, but are you objecting to what has actually happened in this fic, or just the word "luck" itself? Because so far we've yet to see this Touma fall victim to spontaneous flamboyant accidents; rather, his complaints befit his circumstances.
Err, I thought that it was unnecessary. Him taking self-defense classes to protect himself from gangsters means there are convenient scoundrels around that exist to have Touma get into trouble with them or maybe save someone from them (such misfortune~).
If Touma is to stay relevant, after losing a good deal of plothax and the rest of the series getting a dose of realism, then he needs to have appreciable skills. If he's still getting into scuffles, then it only makes sense for him to train to defend himself.

Overall, I think it's good that Touma and Misaka are still recognizably themselves, even after modifications and improvements versus canon. If absolutely every character was overhauled to the extent that Index was, you might as well write an original work.

(To put it in other words, I think we need to keep something of his voice and character intact, or are you looking for Touma-in-name-only?)

I hate Touma, but not the first Touma. I hate the second Touma, the incredibly bland body double with no memories. The two are pretty different characters.

herpaderp said:
I dunno, I feel like Touma is very similar to his canon counterpart in this fic (Touma's even saving the delinquents like in volume 1). Him being all sarcastic (is it snarky? is that what they call it?) and lamenting his bad luck (i thought this was a cheap way to paint Touma as being sympathetic in canon) doesn't really help.
I really can't agree with that. Touma's narration was one of the parts I liked best.

Though come to think of it, there is one thing you may want to expand on with Touma's character, Shockz, and that's establish a reason for Touma's heroics. Sure, he likes to help people, but why? That's something that never really got explained in canon, and it would add more depth to him. A little insight into what makes him who he is would be much appreciated.

spacemonkey37 said:
I really can't agree with that. Touma's narration was one of the parts I liked best.

Though come to think of it, there is one thing you may want to expand on with Touma's character, Shockz, and that's establish a reason for Touma's heroics. Sure, he likes to help people, but why? That's something that never really got explained in canon, and it would add more depth to him. A little insight into what makes him who he is would be much appreciated.
Some people just like to help people if they can.

Aranfan said:
Sure, but not normally to the point of putting their own lives at risk. I'm not saying there has to be some big tragedy in his past or anything, just that it would be interesting to get a little introspection from Touma on his own motivations.

Aranfan said:
Thank you. You guys see this ^^^, 'cause that's the truth, people don't need some sort of super-memorable-event to happen to them in order for them to help others.
I'm really not into the whole special-background idea, but the "guy with bad luck who ends up going through more than is realistic for a single relatively normal civilian" thing, even though it's not exactly original is in fact appealing to me.

PS: Personaly, I love what you did with Touma

EDIT: ninja'd

Presentation is everything.

I'm sure the author had a legitimate reason for liking Touma, if he actually did that is, he just presented the guy poorly.

spacemonkey37 said:
Sure, but not normally to the point of putting their own lives at risk. I'm not saying there has to be some big tragedy in his past or anything, just that it would be interesting to get a little introspection from Touma on his own motivations.
Don't worry. He'll lose his memory before we ever find out what's anything real about his past, exiling the truth to the abyss forever.

*Runs away before Shockz hunts him down.*

herpaderp said:
I get this feeling like if you're okay with this Touma then you should be okay with canon Touma too. I could be wrong, I dunno.
Anyone else want to share their insight on this Touma vs canon Touma?
NotAlwaysFanfic said:
Presentation is everything.

I'm sure the author had a legitimate reason for liking Touma, if he actually did that is, he just presented the guy poorly.
I am actually not very fond of canon Touma and was very intentionally trying to write this Touma as similar-but-noticeably-different from pre-wipe canon Touma, and very different from post-wipe canon Touma. If I have failed in that task (besides him bemoaning his luck, which I can tone down if it's excessive but won't remove outright because of reasons), I need to know right now so I can reevaluate how I write his POV and where I'm taking his character arc.

I'm also intentionally trying not to write him as totally likable. Dude has some issues.

Eh, Touma here seems different enough to LN Touma already; Touma there doesn't snark at himself so much, or uses so many words.

Shockz said:
I am actually not very fond of canon Touma and was very intentionally trying to write this Touma as similar-but-noticeably-different from pre-wipe canon Touma, and very different from post-wipe canon Touma. If I have failed in that task (besides him bemoaning his luck, which I can tone down if it's excessive but won't remove outright because of reasons), I need to know right now so I can reevaluate how I write his POV and where I'm taking his character arc.

I'm also intentionally trying notto write him as totally likable. Dude has some issues.
nonono, your Touma is good. I was talking about the LN author's presentation.

I'm not sure if it's exactly relevant or not, but chapter 61 of the railgun manga has been translated into Chinese. I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at what just happened to Misaka.

In my defense, I was trying to think of something to say about canon, power level, "plot", and this fanfic. It's just that I'm still a little bit in shocked after finding out about that, so I wasn't able to come up with something of substance right away. Should I remove that post then, and maybe try again later (or not)?

herpaderp said:
I dunno, I feel like Touma is very similar to his canon counterpart in this fic (Touma's even saving the delinquents like in volume 1).
herpaderp said:
I get this feeling like if you're okay with this Touma then you should be okay with canon Touma too. I could be wrong, I dunno.
Anyone else want to share their insight on this Touma vs canon Touma?
It's not about how far you are willing to go to help other people, it's your thought process behind that, your motives and risk assessments and whether you rely on plans or deus ex machina.

One of the reason many people hate your average manga/anime fighting heroes is that they are 1) borderline retarded and 2) not actually brave.

Because bravery is not lack of fear, but overcoming fear to reach your goals. So, if you face impossible odds and don't actually even acknowledge the almost certain possibility of defeat and the consequences of that, but just jump in without a good plan and only win cause of mid-season upgrade (with exceptions in a TTGL-like verses where it is actually the correct thing to do and counts as a actually good plan), then you are not brave (because you are too stupid to feel fear) and an idiot and more intelligent readers tend to dislike seeing such characters to win again and again without exploring the realistic consequences of such behavior.

Wanting to help people, even up to the point of basically becoming almost like a martyr is a choice, like any other, it's not inherently stupid if the character doing it acknowledges the risks, actually feels and has to overcome fear, makes effort to actually plan, is not making needless sacrifices and if the consequences are fully explored. It really makes all the difference.

allfictions said:
Well, that's the problem with Canon!Touma: instead of asking himself why he wants to save someone, he asks why not. While useful when in need of a quick response to a certain situation that arise suddenly (even a bit 'noble'), from a logical standpoint, it's totally insane, for the simple reason that he doesn't know if what he does now will have negative consequences in the future. Short-term solution when most of the times thinking for the long term is the viable route.
Still not on the level of Shirou Emiya, though.
Indeed. And I'd say that my chief problem with Canon!Touma is that not that he has this character trait, but that he rarely has to deal with the consequences of it. Oh sure, he gets the snot beat out of him on a regular basis, but the situation always ends up resolved in the end, whether or not he actually helped (god dammit Daihaseisai arc), Heaven Canceller fixes him up good as new (because the protagonist armor prevents him from ever actually getting killed, even in situations where he really should have been), and there's rarely more than a token suggestion that maybe he might end up making things worse by rushing in in the future. And thus, in the end, "rush in and PUNCH" is proven to be, if not always the right plan, at least not a totally wrong one. Now, granted, I've only seen up to the end of the second season of the anime, and I'm still trying to get through the novels, so maybe this changes at some point. But even so, seeing it over and over again up to this point is frustrating as hell.

Shockz said:
"Indeed. And I'd say that my chief problem with Canon!Touma is that not that he has this character trait, but that he rarely has to deal with the consequences of it" ... "there's rarely more than a token suggestion that maybe he might end up making things worse by rushing in in the future."
I think that's the theme for the 3rd volume of TAMNI: NT

Shockz said:
not to spoil anything, but one of the themes of the "new testament" novels 2 to 4 is now that people are taking him seriously "punching the problem" is not working as well anymore, because now people know how he will react, what he can do and why he does it, and so can now counter him ( or manipulate him)

ninja'd

allfictions said:
Well, that's the problem with Canon!Touma: instead of asking himself why he wants to save someone, he asks why not.
Not really, it's not about saving itself, it's about how you do it. If an intelligent character with personality asks "why not", then he would still go over a check list about why exactly, indeed not, and make a plan if he still decides to go thorough with it, either finding no reasons not to help or deciding to go through even if there are ones. There's a big difference between being too stupid to see the risks and making a moral decision to just accept them.

It's quite possible an altruistic and heroic character has already answered himself why he wants to save people in general and needing a specific reason why not to in each case he believes there's some saving to be done. After all, if you truly believe saving people is the right thing to do, then it's not that strange that you would need a good reason why not to do a right thing, wouldn't you, if you look at it from that perspective?
While useful when in need of a quick response to a certain situation that arise suddenly (even a bit 'noble'), from a logical standpoint, it's totally insane, for the simple reason that he doesn't know if what he does now will have negative consequences in the future. Short-term solution when most of the times thinking for the long term is the viable route.
That seems a little limiting perspective to me, choosing to not save someone might also have negative consequences in the future (by that person not being at the right place at the right time when needed), saving people doesn't inherently have to be a short-term solution and there's no reason you couldn't plan for long term while doing it

Of course, like Shockz said, the most important part is exploring the consequences of such behavior. Which don't even necessarily need to be all negative. After all, you might take great risks, but you also gather experience and quite a lot of favours and gratidude (when you save people in a city full of espers and magicians, quite a lot of them might not be that "helpless" at all and might be in a position to return the favour or help in the future, if they don't get forgotten by the narrative).

Shockz said:

I'm also intentionally trying notto write him as totally likable. Dude has some issues.
Just for the record, I quite like your version of Touma.

Nameless_Flame said:
We never saw that point exactly, and simply see someone who refuses to let logic dictate whether he should help another human being (admirable in its own way, even if anyone who values rationality or self-interest sees it as naive and stupid) and simply does it.
According to the level of self-interest commonly accepted as sensible, yes, but not rationality. Rationality is merely a tool of methods and finding knowledge, no axiom goal can be irrational, it all ultimately comes down to "I choose to". A martyr can be exactly as rational as an egotist, given the right circumstances and priorities of values.

Like how Index values freedom over comfort. Which one should be objectively more "rational" for her? A stereotypical cynic might say comfort, but what if freedom actually made her empirically more happy? What axis of reason are we even judging it by in the first place? Safety? Happiness? Greater utilitarian good?

Same for Touma and the rationality of the "saving people thing" to him.
My headcanon is that Touma hesitated once with indecision and it cost him something, so he doesn't allow himself the "luxury" of thinking more than a few seconds in case hesitation makes the situation worse.
Could be, or he might just as well simply have a very strong natural inclination towards altruism, as pointed out earlier in the thread. It's like why people choose to become firefighters or the like, if you ask them when they had the great epiphany, I bet most of them can't really trace it down to one dramatic moment, only that it just felt like how they wanted to live.

Patcheresu said:
He is way too talkative. He isn't totally likable, you can't make something that pleases everyone.
You do realize that Touma is just inner monologuing most of his lines in this fic so far, on the words that actually come out of his mouth, it's more or less the normal amount to hold conversation without going infodumping for the sake of infodumping.

Back