CW: Graphic violence

Goblintown stank. It smelled of ash, sewage, and chemicals. Iris couldn't imagine living here, let alone working among the choking, scalding fumes of the alchemical refineries. It was full of strange sounds as well – the clank of machinery, the roar of furnace-fires, and distant shouts and the tramp of feet. The cramped, winding streets played tricks with sound, and some of the echoes sounded as if they came from deep underground; perhaps they did. Lilly led them through the maze of streets and alleys which seemed to follow some logic Iris didn't understand, avoiding major thoroughfares.

Suddenly, the night was cut by the shriek of a whistle. It didn't stop.

"It's on!" Lilly cried, baring her teeth.

They had come to the mouth of an alleyway. Across the street, goblins were pouring out of the doors of a factory, peering about and clamoring as they tried to figure out what was going on. Other goblins emerged, carrying whips.

"Back to work, you layabouts!" one shrieked, cracking his whip, "Your shift hasn't ended yet!" The crowd of goblin workers cringed as other overseers started laying in. Some started shoving each other in their attempt to get back into the factory; one shoved an overseer. The goblin boss shoved him down and raised his whip, ready to flay him to the bone.

Lilly darted across the street, cutting down the goblin overseer.

"Down with the boss!" she shrieked. The goblins were stunned for three seconds, then all Hell broke loose. Some scattered, others attacked the overseers, who scattered as Iris and her friends emerged to join Lillywick. One of the overseers started blowing a whistle, which was instantly answered by another some distance away.

"Cowards!" Alessa spat as she watched the goblin bosses run. She shook a gauntleted fist at their retreating backs. "You can't face real warriors?"

"They've gone to raise the guards," Bors said, hefting his ax, "We'll have a real fight soon."

Lilly marched off at the head of a goblin mob, and Iris and her companions had no choice but to go along with them. Somehow many of the goblins had contrived to arm themselves with iron bars, stones, or hammers. They were all chattering with each other, excitedly pointing and laughing and cheering Lilly's name, and some struck up a work chantey. But Iris noticed a few goblins falling behind and quietly slipping away. Goblintown was growing louder – whistles, screams and shouted orders, drums, horns. The sounds of the police and military stirring.

The humans stood head and shoulders above the goblins – Iris in particular – and it was easy for them to push their way to the front.

"I can't believe this is working!" Iris said to Lilly. The goblin cackled.

"Told ye my hopes weren't placeless! May not be easy to get goblins to work togetherlike, but once ye get us going, it's hard to stop us!"

The mob's energy died immediately as it spilled out into a broad plaza. Arrayed on the far end was a double line of goblin soldiers, each in helmets and chainmail and carrying spears and shields. Someone sounded a whistle.

"By order of Big Boss Smivey Demple, you lot are to return to your dormitories! Failure to comply is grounds for summary execution. Those taken into police custody will be subjected to work imprisonment!"

The goblins wavered. This, Iris knew, was where Lilly's revolution would have died – a wave of fervent but untrained workers, dashed to pieces against a wall of trained soldiers. She would have failed…if Iris and her friends hadn't been there.

"A Harcourt! A Harcourt!" Alessa cried as she sprang forward, her sword gleaming in the starlight.

"Fuck off and die!" Bors yelled. Iris followed, and everything went strange. She heard her own heartbeat pounding in her ears, and her lips were peeled back, baring her teeth. She outpaced the others, crossing the plaza in less than ten seconds. A sprint in full armor, but Iris didn't feel the weight of it, her muscles didn't scream with exertion as they should have. She felt she could have run the mile and still had the strength to fight.

The goblin soldiers wavered. She was tall, and armored head to foot, and moving fast. No creature liked being charged by something bigger than them, let alone three, and the goblins were no different. Their officers tried to get them to stand and fight, ordering horns blown and lashing out at those in the back line with wooden batons, but when Iris was halfway across the plaza they were already breaking, those in the front pushing at those behind, or finding they were already slipping away. By the time she reached the crumbling goblin line, she could practically taste their fear.

Spears snapped against her armor or slid off it, and Iris thought of the charm sitting against her breast. Fang cut flesh and bone and leather, punched through chainmail. It thirsted for green goblin blood. Iris tried to remember her training, but it was like her body had a mind of its own. Fang slipped past shields and armor to seek out throats, hearts, arteries. She lashed out with her foot, kicking a goblin's head back so far its neck snapped. Goblins ran, and she made a ruin of their bodies.

She remembered her first sparring session with Alessa, each time she felled another goblin: Dead. Dead. Dead.

Alessa was there as well, and Bors. They were better armored than the goblin soldiers, more experienced. Iris saw them out of the corner of her eye, hacking down any goblin that stood to fight.

Iris looked around and found there were no more goblins to kill. The plaza was a mire of green blood and corpses, adding to the stench of Goblintown. The goblin mob was among the dead, stripping them of armor and weapons.

Someone was yelling at her.

"Iris? Iris I need you to hear me!"

Iris focused on Chiri's voice. She blinked and noticed the catgirl standing in front of her.

"Chiri?"

"Iris, you've been injured!"

Iris looked down, saw the blood flowing from where a spear had slipped through a gap in her armor and been thrust into her leg just above the knee.

"Oh."

She allowed Chiri to force her to sit down, her back against a wall. The catgirl knelt and started unbuckling her armor so she could tend to the wound.

"It didn't hit an artery, but I'll need to disinfect and bind it," she said, but Iris only half-heard her.

Things seemed to have grown more chaotic during the fight. Everywhere Iris looked, there were goblins running down the streets or in and out of buildings, screaming, fighting – Iris wasn't sure which side was hers, or even if they were fighting for a reason. Iris saw billowing clouds of smoke, lit from below by the fires of burning buildings. This city was fragile, built on fear and punishment, and now it was unraveling.

She was strangely calm. Her eyes refused to focus on the dead bodies, and the memories of the battle slid away from her. Now was not the time to process. She wanted to laugh, or cry, or maybe fuck Chiri against the wall.

"Iris Penny!" Lillywick said. The goblin's knife was covered in blood again, and she now wore a chainmail shirt and carried a shield. "You were a fuckin' monster out there!"

"Yeah, what happened, Iris?" Chiri asked. She seemed genuinely concerned.

"The wolf came out," Iris said, feeling her lips peel back.

"Can she walk?" Alessa asked. The lady knight was unharmed, and she was wiping her sword clean.

"Yes," Chiri said, finishing the dressing and refastening Iris' armor. "If she exerts herself like that again she'll tear it open, but we may not have a choice."

"Good. We have other wounded."

"Leave 'em," Lillywick said, "If they can walk, they'll find help. If they can't, then your healer can't save them nohow."

"She's right," Chiri said, gathering up her medical bag.

Iris rose to her feet, wavering only slightly.

The mob grew as it surged towards Headquarters. It linked up with other mobs, or groups of mutinying soldiers. Twice they had to fight units of loyalist soldiers sent to block their path, but the mob had soldiers of its own. They would press together, shield to shield, probing with spears. Inevitably, the enemy would break under the weight of the mob in front of them, or at the confusion and fear building like the pressure front of a storm, or at Iris and her friends charging.

Iris only remembered flashes: Lillywick standing atop a barricade and screaming something to a crowd of goblins; Chiri bandaging up injuries; Alessa spattered in green blood, lifting her visor to reveal a face streaked with sweat. There were lots of goblin faces, although they all blurred together, contorted in fear, glee, or rage. At some point Iris' wound opened up again, blood soaking her leg. She pushed on, not feeling the pain or the exhaustion, although she knew in some part of her mind that she would feel it all catch up with her at once, eventually. Her world was dark, noisy, and stank of death and fire.

Finally, Headquarters loomed above them.

"Now what?" Iris screamed, trying to be heard over the din of hundreds of goblins and the growing clamor of a city tearing itself apart.

"The supply gate!" Lillywick replied. The goblin had acquired a cut on her cheek during the fighting, and Chiri had smeared some kind of salve on it. Iris looked around; her head was starting to clear, or maybe she was finally getting tired.

"Where's Bors?" she asked.

"We haven't seen him since the plaza," Alessa said. Her voice was cracked, and she sounded tired and afraid. Iris' heart beat faster as she realized that the ladyknight was flagging as well. If they didn't finish this fight soon, it would all be over.

"When is the dawn?" Iris asked.

"Two hours, maybe," Chiri said. The catgirl looked sick, her eyes reflecting the light of burning buildings.

"Let's finish this," Iris said. She marched up to the side gate Lillywick had indicated. It was a single door, wood barred with iron, with a heavy lock.

"I've got this," Chiri said. The catgirl drew herself up, grabbed onto her hat, threw out her hand, and spoke a single word.

The gate flew open, and Iris stepped through into a courtyard. The mob flowed in, heading straight for the larders and granaries where the Big Boss hoarded food. Iris ignored them, marching into the palace itself.

"Lillywick!" Iris yelled, "Do you know where we're going?"

"I do. Big Boss Smivey will be in his command room."

"Light," Chiri whispered, and the lightstone in her hand lit up the hall.

Headquarters had once been a palace, back when this had been the human city of Bryn Mawr. There were huge windows that let in the light, and the red glow of fires shone eerily on Iris and her friends. She looked around; it was just her, Alessa, Chiri, and Lillywick the goblin. Somehow, everyone else had fallen behind.

"Here," Lilly said, stopping at a door. Iris didn't need Chiri to open it with magic; she kicked the door in and rushed inside.

Big Boss Smivey Demple was tall for a goblin. He looked like someone had stretched him out on a rack, freakishly long legs and arms that trailed almost to the ground. He wore a breastplate and helmet, and while Iris had been expecting something cobbled together out of scrap, black and spikey, somehow the fact that his armor looked like the work of a professional smith and gleamed in the light was more intimidating.

Smivey and his guards froze for a critical second. Iris counted four guards, and ignored the clerks and messengers who scampered away as soon as they could. The Big Boss was looking over a map of the city, little markers designating the positions of troops – but the markers had been swept aside as if in frustration, and there was a knife sticking out of the map.

"Big Boss Smivey Chickenthief, you soulless ratfucking blackheart! I'm Lillywick Parser, and I'm your worst fucking nightmare!" Lilly shrieked as she followed Iris and Alessa.

Smivey's guards were armed with longswords; one found his wild swing blocked by Alessa's shield, and his throat opened by her sword. Another guard swung at Iris's side; the blade stopped at her breastplate, but she grunted, knowing she'd feel bruised ribs in the morning. Fang quested and sought, darting past his shield to skewer his throat. Alessa was fighting the other two goblins as Lilly jumped past her, vaulting the table to fight the Big Boss directly.

Smivey Demple drew a sword and locked blades with Lilly. Lilly's knife flashed again and again, but the goblin boss blocked her at every turn, his freakishly elongated arms giving him superior reach. Chiri watched the fight, eyes darting back and forth.

Iris grabbed the table with one hand – it was huge, solid wood and big enough to seat a dozen people – and flipped it over. It crashed to the ground, scattering papers and cups, and Iris raised her sword and brought it down on Smivey Demple. He raised his sword, blocking Fang but straining as they locked blades. Lillywick's knife found a gap in his armor, and the goblin boss gasped as she drew blood, but it didn't end him. He jumped back, slashing wildly at Lilly.

An upward stab would have punched through her chain shirt and impaled her, but at that moment Chiri raised her wand and spoke a word, and while Lilly grunted as the breath was driven from her, she stayed standing as the chainmail held. Iris brought her sword down again, cleaving right through the goblin boss' wrist, severing his sword hand. He screeched and looked wide-eyed at the stump at the end of his arm, until a second later when Lilly's knife parted his throat. His scream died with a gurgle as he coughed up green blood.

Everyone was still. The remaining guards were dead at Alessa's feet, and aside from Iris and her three friends there was no one else in the room.

"Is everyone okay?" Alessa asked.

Lillywick looked down at herself.

"Aye, I'm unhurt. Leastwise not any more than I was…"

She looked at Iris, who swallowed. Her throat felt like sandpaper.

"'m fine," she rasped.

Chiri was breathing heavily, but she managed to give Alessa a reassuring nod as she leaned against the overturned table. The lightstone dropped from her hand.

"Then it's over? We won?" Alessa asked.

Iris cracked a smile. She was about to reply when the loudest noise she'd ever heard broke over them. A tremor went through the palace, dust raining from the ceiling, and the whole room was lit up with a flash that, for a second, was as bright as day.

Lilly rushed to the window.

"Fuck me! The powderworks went up!"

"The – the what?" Iris asked, her brain struggling to comprehend.

"Fire! Fire!!" Lilly screamed, "The whole city's gonna burn!"

"Put it out," Chiri panted, "With magic."

"We don't have a magic circle that big!" Alessa insisted. Chiri shook her head.

"The whole city…built as a magical amplifier…"

Alessa grabbed Lilly and pulled her away from the window.

"Lillywick, listen to me! Is there a ritual center here, somewhere the boss would have done magic?"

"Up - upstairs!" Lilly said. She sounded genuinely shaken, and Iris understood – thousands would die if that fire wasn't stopped. "Course I ain't never been up there-"

Alessa dropped Lilly and helped Chiri to her feet. Up a flight of stairs, they found, just as Lilly promised, a place of magic ritual. A huge magic circle, six feet across, was inscribed into the stone floor. This wasn't goblin work; it must have been as old as the palace. All around, Iris saw candles, jars of ritual components, knives, torture racks...and, at one end of the room, gauzy silk curtains hid the shape of a statue, one that drew Iris' eye inexorably towards it.

"We need to put out the fire," Alessa said. Chiri shook her head.

"I – I can't. I'm too tired," she whimpered. Iris was overwhelmed with love and fear for the witch.

"I know how to do it," Iris said. She looked down; her armor glistened red with blood, and she reached down to wipe her hand through it. She dropped to her knees at the edge of the circle, painting the symbol in the center of the magic circle with her own blood. She wasn't sure if that helped, but she sure hoped it did.

She'd done this spell before; she remembered the symbol and the words. She just needed a bigger magic circle…a much bigger one...

She spoke the magic word, and every candle in the room blew out. Outside, the red glow of the fires vanished as if God himself had snuffed them out. The world fell silent again.

"Did it work?" Iris asked, getting to her feet. She felt like her legs were about to give out under her, and she walked in a daze across the room. Behind her, Alessa guided Chiri to the ground.

"Chiri? Chiri are you okay?" Alessa asked.

"I'll live…but I'm tired, Alessa."

"It's – oh, fuck it. Chiri, I'm sorry…"

Iris ignored them and walked towards the statue. She pulled aside the silk curtains and saw the statue and the altar in front of it.

It was a feminine, half-serpent figure, carved so masterfully that Iris thought it could have been a real being who had been turned to stone – Iris could see every individual scale. The bottom half of her body was a pile of serpentine coils, but her top half was also scaled, her head hairless and her mouth thin and almost lipless. She was terribly beautiful, the lines of her naked body appealing to Iris in a way that even now, fried by battle, registered in her mind. The statue's expression was judgmental, cruel, and fearsomely intelligent. One hand pointed to the sky, the other to the ground.

"Iris? Iris, what are you doing?" Alessa said, "Get away from there!"

Iris didn't know why she wasn't listening to Alessa anymore. Maybe she was delirious, coming off the battle-high. Maybe there was some magical compulsion forcing her hand. Maybe she was just curious, and stupid. But instead of turning to face Alessa, Iris reached out towards the altar, her cracked, dry lips parting as she breathed softly.

The second she touched the altar, she blacked out.

Iris was pretty sure she wasn't dead. She figured that if she was dead, she wouldn't feel like shit.

"Ow," she said eloquently. She felt like she'd been run over, she was hungry, she was thirsty. She felt sore, but not necessarily tired, like the morning after a hard workout. The wound on her leg wasn't bleeding, but it did sit there raw and open, and now she felt the screaming pain. The only thing working properly was her mind, which was completely capable of telling her everything that was wrong with her body.

No, she was pretty sure she wasn't dead. But if she was dead, she then was in Hell.

"Oh, my," the goddess said. "Here's something new."

She was…well, she was stunning. She was naked, every inch of her smooth, flawless, bright green scaly skin on display. Words failed Iris as she took in the serpent woman's body; everything felt simultaneously too poetic and too profane. She had wide hips, a flat, toned stomach, and small pert breasts. Her serpent body, thicker around than Iris' waist, was coiled underneath her, loop after loop of liquid muscle that constantly shifted, giving off the rasp of scale against scale. There were gold rings in her nipples and her belly button. A ring in one ear was connected to another in her nose by a fine gold chain. Her head was hairless, and even her eyebrows were just rows of tiny pointed scales.

And her expression…it was the same as her statue, cruel and harshly appraising. Iris felt like a bug, pinned down and inspected.

"Jesus Christ," Iris said.

"Who?" the serpent goddess asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Who – what is going on?" Iris asked.

The goddess spread her hands, each finger ending in a curved claw.

"We are inside your mind, sweetie. And quite the mind it is, I see she has been making herself at home."

"The…the wolf goddess?"

"Mmhm. How did it feel, letting her being in control?"

Iris looked down at her hand and tightened it into a fist.

"Is that what that was? I felt…I don't know, I was fearless, tireless. I was...stronger."

She'd wondered how she was able to fight so well during her first time in battle. The goddess had promised to keep Iris alive, and apparently, she had – by giving Iris a boost of strength and energy, suppressing her fear response, like an extended adrenaline high. No flight, only fight.

But was the wolf goddess the one in control? Iris struggled to remember most of the night, but was that stress and exhaustion, or because her consciousness was in the back seat? The flashes of decisions she did remember making made her think that she was on some level in control, although she was operating half by instinct.

"Yes, it does have its benefits," the serpent goddess said, rolling her eyes. "You killed my petitioner, so congratulations for that."

"Your petitioner? Were you behind all of…this?"

The goddess planted her hands on her hips.

"Hmph. Not as such. I'm a being of intellect, Iris Penny, I have knowledge of many arts and sciences – not to mention the inner minds of men and women. Those who petition me may learn hidden secrets and the practice of shaping things." She looked at Iris appraisingly. "You know, I could help you too."

Iris's mouth twisted in disgust.

"Yeah, no thanks. I've seen what that goblin did with your 'help'."

The goddess made a dismissive gesture with her hand.

"Smivey Demple was a petty tyrant and a bully. His only thoughts were more, more, more."

"He was a monster! And you helped him!" Iris said, pointing her finger accusingly.

"I gave him information, as is my nature. What he does with that is not up to me. I am asked, and I answer. Besides, I have a feeling you would be different from him. You're noble and selfless, aren't you?"

It felt strange, hearing the goddess offer praise so freely. Iris liked it, but she didn't trust it, either.

"Who are you?"

"I have many names, none of them my true name, of course. Those who built this city knew me as the Mother of Serpents."

Iris stared down the Mother of Serpents, who just tilted her head and inspected Iris all the more closely.

"I think I want you out of my mind."

"Whenever you wake up, Iris," the serpent-goddess said. Her voice was smooth as silk. "But how about I give you a bit of free advice? It's about those two girls of yours."

She waved her hand, and an image appeared of Alessa and Chiri. Alessa's hair was down, and from the angle, it seemed as if they were looking down at her with concern.

"My girls?" Iris asked, then directed her attention to the serpent-goddess. "What about them?"

"You love both of them." She held up a hand before Iris could ask a question. "Inner thoughts of women, remember? Yes, you're attracted to both of them, and you're fucking the catgirl, but the knight, ah she's pining so chivalrously. Have you considered maybe…having them both?"

"Having them…?"

"Tell them you want them both. The three of you can work out some sort of arrangement, you'll all be happy, what's the downside? The only reason you haven't is because you and Alessa share a sort of self-effacing nature. You're afraid you don't deserve nice things."

Iris looked at the image of the two women. Yes, she liked them both, for different reasons. Maybe she did love them. Maybe she didn't want to choose.

"Would Alessa really be okay with that?"

The goddess laughed.

"Oh, please, Iris! She's a noble, you think she isn't familiar with, ahem, alternative relationship arrangements?"

Iris glared at the goddess. Sure, she was a mysterious, sinister serpent goddess, and Iris had no idea what she got out of helping Iris along, but Iris wanted her to be right. She wanted to be with both Chiri and Alessa.

Her heart beat quicker at the thought.

The goddess started to fade, and Iris felt like she was moving through soup.

"Looks like you're waking up!" the Mother of Serpents said, "I hope you give my advice its due consideration, Iris."

"Just get out of my mind."

The serpent goddess waved her fingers.

"As you command!"

Not sure what the snake themed self-proclaimed amoral knowledge deity has to gain by giving Iris relationship advice and a warning about how the wolf goddess' berserker blessing (and honestly, I do think it was a blessing in this case. Iris would have totally thought more and fought less, in retrospect, and that's not really what the situation called for once the call went out) works. Especially since Iris killed her last champion.

Iris glared at the goddess. Sure, she was a mysterious, sinister serpent goddess, and Iris had no idea what she got out of helping Iris along, but Iris wanted her to be right. She wanted to be with both Chiri and Alessa.
Oh, turns out I agree with Iris 100%.:V

Last edited:
"Whenever you wake up, Iris," the serpent-goddess said. Her voice was smooth as silk. "But how about I give you a bit of free advice? It's about those two girls of yours."

She waved her hand, and an image appeared of Alessa and Chiri. Alessa's hair was down, and from the angle, it seemed as if they were looking down at her with concern.

"My girls?" Iris asked, then directed her attention to the serpent-goddess. "What about them?"

"You love both of them." She held up a hand before Iris could ask a question. "Inner thoughts of women, remember? Yes, you're attracted to both of them, and you're fucking the catgirl, but the knight, ah she's pining so chivalrously. Have you considered maybe…having them both?"

"Having them…?"

"Tell them you want them both. The three of you can work out some sort of arrangement, you'll all be happy, what's the downside? The only reason you haven't is because you and Alessa share a sort of self-effacing nature. You're afraid you don't deserve nice things."

Iris looked at the image of the two women. Yes, she liked them both, for different reasons. Maybe she did love them. Maybe she didn't want to choose.

Not to be a huge lesbian, but Iris's possessiveness is so goddamn hot. It is really interesting how the snake goddess is framing it explicitly with a sense of ownership. I can see that maybe becoming a problem down the line, but maybe they're into that. Who knows?

Last edited:
I dunno about Iris, but if I was confronted by a domineering snake-goddess i would just... Uh... Um...

I'd just... Sorry, what was I talking about?

"Oh, please, Iris! She's a noble, you think she isn't familiar with, ahem, alternative relationship arrangements?"
Awareness of polyromantic relationships doesn't necessarily guarantee that person is capable of being in one. Nor does give any guarantee that this particular relationship will work out in the end.

It's an opportunity (for some) to be explored, not a silver bullet.

I dunno about Iris, but if I was confronted by a domineering snake-goddess i would just... Uh... Um...

I'd just... Sorry, what was I talking about?
As far as domineering goddesses come, Iris Penny "been there, done that" at this point.

Last edited:
A domineering snake goddess helping along a relationship, huh? I can dig it.

also interesting that the wolf goddess's blessing doesn't seem to have necessarily granted more durability, just pain tolerance.

I'm curious to see what the snake goddess has up her sleeves.

Always down for a visit by the Ghost of Polycules Future. Great update.

Thank you!

Not to be a huge lesbian, but Iris's possessiveness is so goddamn hot. It is really interesting how the snake goddess is framing it explicitly with a sense of ownership. I can see that maybe becoming a problem down the line, but maybe they're into that. Who knows?

Awareness of polyromantic relationships doesn't necessarily guarantee that person is capable of being in one. Nor does give any guarantee that this particular relationship will work out in the end.

It's an opportunity (for some) to be explored, not a silver bullet.

Good observations! The Serpent-Goddess is definitely playing on Iris' desires and trying to create an image in her head of what's possible. She's making an emotional argument because that's what Iris responds to.

Not sure what the snake themed self-proclaimed amoral knowledge deity has to gain by giving Iris relationship advice and a warning about how the wolf goddess' berserker blessing (and honestly, I do think it was a blessing in this case. Iris would have totally thought more and fought less, in retrospect, and that's not really what the situation called for once the call went out) works. Especially since Iris killed her last champion.

A domineering snake goddess helping along a relationship, huh? I can dig it.

also interesting that the wolf goddess's blessing doesn't seem to have necessarily granted more durability, just pain tolerance.

The full effects of the Wolf-Goddess' blessing on Iris will be explored as the story continues! As for what the Serpent-Goddess gets out of all this...well, all I'll say is that she'll be trying to influence Iris going forward.

Was anyone else thinking that Lillywick bringing in humans as the charge leaders is kind of like humans bringing in ogres or something for the same purpose?
Good observations! The Serpent-Goddess is definitely playing on Iris' desires and trying to create an image in her head of what's possible. She's making an emotional argument because that's what Iris responds to.
As for what the Serpent-Goddess gets out of all this...well, all I'll say is that she'll be trying to influence Iris going forward.
Ah, that does explain why she'd just straight-up tell Iris that her desire is possible and not be lying.

Last edited:
Was anyone else thinking that Lillywick bringing in humans as the charge leaders is kind of like humans bringing in ogres or something for the same purpose?
How did that quote went?.. "Well, we just need to summon orges to deal with the trolls. - And what we do with the ogres? - Simple, next we summon dragons to deal with the ogres..."

But it makes sense for a goblin to petition to the local apex predators to solve their problems. The oldest trick in a book!

"Ow," Iris said eloquently. She still felt like she'd been run over, her leg wound was throbbing, and her throat felt like sandpaper. Her voice was raspy as she asked for water.

A canteen was raised to her lips, and someone's soft hand cradled the back of her head. The water tasted amazing – she would never take the stuff for granted again.

"You're okay," Chiri said, "You're alive, Iris."

Chiri was sitting on her left and leaning over her, while Alessa was sitting to her right. Just as in her dream, Alessa's hair was down, although her look of concern was giving way to relief.

"What happened?" Iris asked.

"I was hoping you could answer the same question," Alessa said, "Iris, what were you thinking?"

Iris shut her eyes and sighed.

"I…honestly don't know what came over me. The whole battle is kind of a blur."

"I understand," Chiri said, wiping Iris' brow with a damp washcloth.

"What happened to that statue?" Iris asked.

"I had it torn down and smashed," Chiri said, "I didn't trust it after what happened to you."

Iris nodded and sighed.

"Good. Um. Where's Lillywick?"

"She's been in and out. You missed a lot," Alessa said.

"Really? How long was I asleep?"

"Over…fifteen hours, I think," Alessa said, "It's around midnight after the battle."

Iris opened her eyes, looking between the two of them.

"Wait, really? What the fuck?" Her eyes slid past them, and she took in the room, bare white plaster with another bed sitting next to the one she was lying in. There were no windows, just a lightstone lying on top of a large chest. Iris propped herself up on one elbow, wincing. "Where are we?"

"In a goblin house. I didn't want to stay in that palace for another minute," Chiri spat.

"Stay still," Alessa said, propping Iris up with some pillows. "Chiri's been seeing to your wound. It should heal soon, as long as you don't exert yourself."

Iris ran her hands over the blanket covering her, quilted out of a variety of different rags. It was rather comfortable. Realization hit her.

"Um…my clothes?"

Alessa blushed and glanced away.

"I sent them to be washed and mended," she explained hurriedly.

"Relax, Iris," Chiri insisted, helping Iris take another drink of water.

Iris swallowed, licked her lips.

"Ugh, what a nightmare. Sorry I got us into that."

"Don't be," Chiri said, "It needed to be done. I'm glad we didn't have to fight Lillywick in the end."

Alessa nodded.

"I agree. It may not be the glory I expected from my first battle…but there's honor in what we did."

"Yeah. Girls, I need to tell you something," Iris said, her voice cracking.

"Iris?"

Alessa's brows furrowed in concern. Iris took her hand.

"Alessa, I've been playing with your emotions, and I'm sorry. I think you're beautiful, and you've been really, really kind to me, and I wish…I wish I could get closer to you. I wish I'd told you sooner…"

Alessa blushed, squeezing Iris' hand. Her blue eyes shone softly in the light.

"Thank you, Iris. I…feel the same way about you."

Iris felt heat blossom in her chest. If she wasn't so damn tired, she would have pounced on Alessa and kissed her. Instead, she sighed and took Chiri's hand as well.

"I'm glad. But you should know, I also like Chiri. I think we…" she glanced at Chiri, who just nodded. "I think I'm happy with her?"

Alessa briefly glanced at Chiri.

"I know," the knight said, "We were talking about it while you were asleep."

"Yeah?" Iris felt a flutter of hope.

"I never meant to come between you two," Chiri said. "I mean, Alessa knows that now."

"And I'm…I'm okay. Honestly."

"That's good, because…I really hope there's a way I can be with both of you. I want to try that, a-as long as that's something you both want."

Alessa and Chiri shared a look. When neither of them said anything, Alessa smiled and caressed Iris' cheek. Even her touch made Iris' breath shudder with desire.

"I think I'd be okay with that," Alessa said.

Chiri raised Iris' hand to her mouth and kissed her fingers.

"And I as well. However far you want to go with this, I'll be happy."

"Okay. Great."

Iris laid back and closed her eyes, letting relief wash over her, letting her memories of the battle fade into the background. She wanted to remember this. She'd survived, she'd maybe even found love, and all her friends had survived…

Iris' eyes shot open, and she sat up.

"Where's Bors?"

"I got separated from you in the press," Bors said. He was sitting on the bottom step of a staircase outside the goblin house they had carried Iris to after the battle, surrounded by goblins. His helmet was off, and there was a bandage around his head. The end of his beard was singed. "Figured there were others that needed help, and I thought you ladies would look after each other."

It was night, and the only light came from a few torches and scattered lightstones.

"We did, yeah," Iris said, leaning on her crutch. Bors held out the goblet he was drinking from, and a goblin refilled it.

"He carried my whole family out of a burning building on his back!" the goblin said.

"You exaggerate," Bors murmured as he took another drink.

"Aye, he carried me out and then went back for our children!" another goblin said.

The goblins murmured to each other excitedly.

"After that, I noticed the fires were spreading, so I started organizing fire brigades. Had them tearing down buildings and building firebreaks."

"Fuck yeah! It was loads of fun!" one of the goblin chorus chimed in. "We got to knock stuff over!"

"We did that until all the fires went out at once. Found out that was you later, well done."

"Thanks. I'm just glad you lived," Iris said.

"We all made it, and none of us badly hurt. Awful business though." He held up his goblet. "You need a drink? I often find myself in want of one after the battle. And get this, the boss' stores had some real quality whiskey!"

Iris looked past him and saw Lillywick, sitting alone on a ledge, kicking her feet and looking out over Goblintown.

"Uh, thanks, but I think I should get some food in me first."

"As you say, my lady," Bors said, taking another drink. Iris limped off, leaving him to his admirers.

"Hey," Iris said as she walked up beside Lilly, "Mind if I join you?"

"Sure, drop your bag, Iris Penny," the goblin said. Iris grunted, her leg protesting as she sat down next to Lilly.

"Everything's so…quiet. What happened while I was out?"

"Goblins started cutting out almost right away after Smivey was killed. That or they started fighting each other over the loot."

"They're just leaving? Why?"

"You think Smivey Chickenthief got all these goblins in one place by asking nicely? He had to wrestle us all into one place and bully us into staying." Lillywick sniffed and rubbed her nose. "He killed my whole family, an' most of my clan died in the factories and prisons. He took everything from me."

"Fuck, Lilly, I'm…I'm so sorry."

Iris could see the tears glistening in Lilly's eyes, reflecting the starlight. She reached out to put an arm around Lillywick's shoulders, and the goblin sighed and leaned against her.

"You didn't do nothin'," Lilly said. She sniffled again. "Glad you're not buried, while we're at it."

"Yeah, me too. What are you going to do now?"

"Well, I ain't stickin' around here. Figure I'll haul off."

"You're just leaving? I thought…well, I hoped…you'd come with us."

Lilly gave her a sad smile.

"I need to find some stuff out for meself first. But I think we'll meet again, Iris Penny. And when we do…" she leaned over and kissed Iris' cheek. "I'll give ye a real thanks for all your help."

With that, Lilly stood up and walked away. Iris groaned as she dragged herself upright, leaning on her crutch and rubbing her leg.

"Man, getting stabbed sucks," she muttered as she limped off to find some food.

Last edited:
Bors feels like about a week of this away from transforming his prejudice and veteran distrust of gobbo night-fighting into the secret bonus level of Weird British Officer-Adventurer(tm) racism.

Oh sure they're heathen bastards the lot of them, and would cut their own mothers' throats to steal a bauble, but by god can the blighters fight. Natural at bushcraft, endlessly enthusiastic and creative, only need their backs stiffened and pointed in the right direction by a bit of the good old Norman Yoke. What gentleman cannot help but be impressed with such bloody good footie and cricket, wot?

Last edited:
Bors feels like about a week of this away from transforming his prejudice and veteran distrust of gobbo night-fighting into the secret bonus level of Weird British Officer-Adventurer(tm) racism.

Oh sure they're heathen bastards the lot of them, and would cut their own mother's throats to steal a bauble, but by god can the blighters fight. Natural at bushcraft, endlessly enthusiastic and creative, only need their backs stiffened and pointed in the right direction by a bit of the good old Norman Yoke. What gentleman cannot help but be impressed with such bloody good footie and cricket, wot?
Bors isn't going to be in British Officer-Adventurer mode. He's in Sergeant Whatsisname mode.

(content warning: it's a Rudyard Kipling poem)

Last edited:
"I got separated from you in the press," Bors said. He was sitting on the bottom step of a staircase outside the goblin house they had carried Iris to after the battle, surrounded by goblins. His helmet was off, and there was a bandage around his head. The end of his beard was singed. "Figured there were others that needed help, and I thought you ladies would look after each other."

It was night, and the only light came from a few torches and scattered lightstones.

"We did, yeah," Iris said, leaning on her crutch. Bors held out the goblet he was drinking from, and a goblin refilled it.

"He carried my whole family out of a burning building on his back!" the goblin said.

"You exaggerate," Bors murmured as he took another drink.

"Aye, he carried me out and then went back for our children!" another goblin said.

The goblins murmured to each other excitedly.

"After that, I noticed the fires were spreading, so I started organizing fire brigades. Had them tearing down buildings and building firebreaks."

"Fuck yeah! It was loads of fun!" one of the goblin chorus chimed in. "We got to knock stuff over!"

"We did that until all the fires went out at once. Found out that was you later, well done."
Based and firefighter pilled.
(content warning: it's a Rudyard Kipling poem)
What's Kipling's poetry like, if it needs a content warning?

Great chapter as always. Noted one typo:

"Stay still," Alessa said, propping Iris up with some pillows. "Chiri's been seeing to your wound. It should heal soon, as long as don't exert yourself."

There's a word missing in the bolded sentence.

Not too familiar with his poems, but he wrote The White Man's Burden, which is pro-colonization. So yeah.

It's 19th century poetry from the world view of someone who thought the British Empire was the most based and Victoriapilled thing ever. Particularly but by no, no means exclusively in the poems he writes from the viewpoint of less educated characters, there is a lot of casual racism. Like, a lot. As illustrated by the poem I just linked.

Not too familiar with his poems, but he wrote The White Man's Burden, which is pro-colonization. So yeah.
It is perversely interesting, sometimes, to try to get inside that headspace just to understand what the fuck those guys were thinking, but yes. Of course, the pro-colonialism is heavily informed, in Kipling's work, by what I am going to call 'ambivalent racism' in a parallel construction to ambivalent sexism.

In benevolent sexism, one starts out with a gender stereotype that one might naively imagine is positive ("women are kind and gentle"), but that in practice acts to restrict the subordinated class ("women must be kind and gentle, this is a prescriptive and not just a descriptive statement, and that is why women should accede gently to subordinate roles and kindly support the men in their lives in achieving greater things").

In hostile sexism, one starts out with a gender stereotype that any fool can see is negative ("assertive women are evil harridans"), and act on them in a more uncomplicated way.

In ambivalent sexism, one sees a mix of the two attitudes present at the same time, depending on the situation, on whether the sexist in question is happy or angry, on whether the woman in question is part of a socially respected or disrespected group, and so on.

Kipling is ambivalently racist. He's never not racist, but he tends to lean heavily on tropes that have some glimmer of positivity to them ("a noble breed," "duty to uplift," "what a lovely exotic country," and so on) in the process of reinforcing a profoundly racist worldview and power structure. Rather than just grunting and saying "they're savages who got what's coming to them."

As a 21st century reader I find it... not refreshing because it's still fundamentally very racist validation of an empire that did a lot of Bad Shit. But striking, because in our own era the mask is almost entirely off and the entire concept of benevolent racism is pretty well dead in our own society, having outlived its usefulness in the minds of the baddies.

Also, Kipling genuinely knew how to turn a phrase and a lot of his poetry was aesthetically pretty or expressed concepts that have a certain resonant power outside of or entirely independent of the racism, and I can't help but acknowledge that while still wanting to make it clear that he was super racist and not "a good guy" or "in the right" on any subject adjacent to that.

Alessa and Chiri both: "Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck, she's a chick magnet!"
Somehow I think they already know. :p

Last edited:
Back