I want to suck your blood - Vampires and the vampire concept

What if Vampire's weakness to garlic was an allergic reaction rather than anything fatal? That way, it's less a way of fighting vampires and more a way of detecting them.
That reminds me of the vampires in the the Parasol Protectorate series; where vampires are allergic to garlic, werewolves are allergic to basil and Italian cuisine was designed as an anti-vampire and werewolf measure.

Interestingly, vampires in the setting have an insect theme rather than a bat one. They live in groups called "hives", are led by a queen who is the only one who can make new vampires, are served by human "drones", and will on occasion "swarm" when looking for a new location for a hive.

Also, vampires apparently designed Victorian fashion in part to piss off werewolves, since all that fancy and layered clothing is a chore to take on and off for transformation.

While it's not that exact scenario, there's a similar energy on the vampire movie "Only Lovers Left Alive."

Anyone here heard of Tokimeki Tonight (no relation to Tokimeki Memorial), aka Ransie la Strega? It was an 80s Shoujo romcom about Ranze Etou, the daughter of a vampire and werewolf who can transform into anything she bites, trying to get out of a pre-arranged vampire marriage to be with a human boy. It may be one of the few example of a Vampire Magical Girl series (though keep in mind this is the pre-Sailor Moon definition of a Magical Girl). It's probably best remembered for its Ending Theme:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmxkoaPW23w

I've started watching the anime (which granted ended long before the manga) and there's a lot that holds up. The unique aesthetic, the entertaining characters, all the comedic possibilities shapeshifting provides... but there's some noticeable bruises on this apple, like the design of that Yakuza Boss character. Or that while Ranze and Makabe are both likable, there's nothing really making me root for them to get together other than them being kept apart, he feels more like a 'first crush' character than any lasting love.

Here's another video that goes into further detail (you may need to turn on subtitles though):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7WiIHZw7g

I do feel that Makabe actually being a demon prince is honestly a copout, though I've at least heard the manga does more with this.

Last edited:
Tokimeki Tonight is one of those funky, stylish 80s romcoms that fall through the cracks of Western fandom like Stop! Hibari-kun or (nowadays) Kimagure Orange Road.

Given Tokimeki Tonight has both a Magical Girl and yakuza in it (albeit not a magical girl yakuza), naturally it's right up your alley

Speaking of Vampire Magical Girls, I've been formulating ideas for a Vampire Pretty Cure fan-season (starring a sire-sired duo), which has got me looking into how the ideas of 'vampires need to be invited in' and 'vampires obsessing over counting' came to be.

At first I thought vampires needing to be invited came from their aristocratic image and etiquette, but I found out that needing to be invited goes back to the 17th century, before they were thought of as aristocrats. My other guess was that it's due to the idea of thresholds being sacred and mystical you see a lot in folklore, and from what I found this seems to be the case

I couldn't find much for why vampires are linked with arithmomania (the name for counting obsession) beyond speculations. My own guess is it has to do with folkloric beliefs in numerology of numbers having an inherent power, but I've also heard it may be to keep track of time since vampires would have a different perception of it, being undead and immortal and all

Back