Just so you know, I absolutely wouldn't mind a restart of this quest, if you ever feel like you want to try it again. The idea is incredible and has massive potential imo and it's been a while since I've enjoyed a HP quest this much.

Thanks!

Just so you know, I absolutely wouldn't mind a restart of this quest, if you ever feel like you want to try it again. The idea is incredible and has massive potential imo and it's been a while since I've enjoyed a HP quest this much.
I'm going to try and stay away from the HP setting for a bit, but down the line, I can definitely see myself restarting the quest with the lessons I took from it in mind. Riddle-Ginny is always an earworm to me, and has been since reading "Virginia Riddle" fanfiction as a kid, so I'm sure I will return to it.

Compared to a few other quests I've joined this one feels far from mismanaged. I'm sorry to see it go, especially as I find none of those other hogwarts quests particularly appealing, but thank you for carrying it as far as you did. Perhaps someone else will come along and do a spinoff eventually.
I encourage anyone who'd be interested in doing so to do so, or to pick up where I'm stepping out if they'd prefer. The area I feel I mismanaged the most and that would be the hardest to fix is the Ginny-Riddle connection. For what should be the central theme of the quest and the central area of exploration, it's taken second footing to other ventures – like you said, Wanderlust plays a role in that, but I think I also dangled too many shiny options and hooks of the setting that drew people away from Riddle. I think the level of character creation I offered here also contributed to the problem by reducing Ginny's reliance on Riddle for major improvements or progression, and it develops this situation where it feels that Tom is entirely dependent on Ginny, when the goal was to create a dysfunctional but lasting co-dependent relationship between the two of them.

but I think I also dangled too many shiny options and hooks of the setting that drew people away from Riddle. I think the level of character creation I offered here also contributed to the problem by reducing Ginny's reliance on Riddle for major improvements or progression, and it develops this situation where it feels that Tom is entirely dependent on Ginny, when the goal was to create a dysfunctional but lasting co-dependent relationship between the two of them.

I'd say some of this stems from the larger challenge of balancing player agency with the main themes/story you'd like to tell.

With something like the diary, we probably shouldn't have had to vote to get even a base level of interaction with the Diary. Some locked in base level of interaction would probably have been for the best, although that'd probably require different mechanics of how actions were chosen.

Something like IC Ginny's action plan is something she's writing in the diary, so Tom provides feedback on everything. Not the most elegant solution as described, but something song those lines would have had potential to establish some of the themes you desired

Back