House of the Dragon premiering August 21

Continuing producting during the writer's strike is deeply worrying. Shouldn't be doing this shit.
To quote GRRM's latest blog post:
Across the ocean, the second season of 'House of the Dragon' started filming April 11 and will continue in London and Wales. The scripts for the eight S2 episodes were all finished months ago, long before the strike began. Every episode has gone through four or five drafts and numerous rounds of revisions, to address HBO notes, my notes, budget concerns, etc. There will be no further revisions. The writers have done their jobs; the rest is in the hands of the directors, cast and crew… and of course the dragons)

He also said that work on the "The Hedge Knight" has stopped because that show is still in the development and writing phase, which is affected by the strike. And that he supports the union.

That's all good, though they better hope they don't figure out something in the scripts needs fixing mid-filming because rewrites are out the window.

"The show must go on."
variety.com

‘House of the Dragon’ Can Continue Filming in U.K. Amid SAG-AFTRA Strike Due to Local Union Rules

“House of the Dragon” can continue filming in the U.K. despite the SAG-AFTRA actors strike, Variety can reveal. Just as the U.S. actors union announced a strike Thursday due to its inability to ink…
Just as the U.S. actors union announced a strike Thursday due to its inability to ink a new deal with the AMPTP, sources confirmed that production is planned to proceed as scheduled on the second season of the "Game of Thrones" prequel.

The HBO series' cast is composed of primarily U.K. actors who are working under contracts governed by the local union, Equity. As such, the series is technically allowed to continue filming because Equity members aren't legally allowed to strike in solidarity with the U.S. union.

Sources indicate that the U.K.'s strict union laws have prevented an extensive show of solidarity from Equity, which can't legally call a strike to support SAG-AFTRA due to restrictive British legislation.

Yeah, probably comes with a bunch of riders that allow time warner to sue the shirts off anyone who wants to try and strike with them

variety.com

‘House of the Dragon’ Season 2 to Premiere in June

"House of the Dragon" Season 2 will debut on HBO in June.
Warner Bros. Discovery streaming and gaming chief J.B. Perrette revealed the launch month for the second season of the "Game of Thrones" spinoff during an interview at Morgan Stanley's Technology, Media and Telecom conference Monday.

While the exec did not specify the date of the "House of the Dragon" Season 2 premiere, this is the most information that has been revealed about the release window to date, with HBO chief Casey Bloys teasing an "early summer" date back in November, and Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav saying "next quarter" on the company's Q4 earnings call in February.

I assume the Jon Snow-look-a-like on top of the Wall is Jace, which probably means we're getting a the Pact of Ice and Fire this season?

The one thing I am both worried about and looking forward to is that the format of the show has to change and its scope expands this season. Season one was a family drama, with even Ser Otto and Criston Cole functioning as members of the Targaryen-Velaryon clan despite not being officially part of it.

Now the rest of Westeros is gonna come crashing in, with everyone disatisfied with the status quo trying to ride the coattails of the war and everyone ok with how things were under Viserys trying to shield what they have. We will see how the change of pace will impact things...

Last edited:
I assume the Jon Snow-look-a-like on top of the Wall is Jace, which probably means we're getting a the Pact of Ice and Fire this season?
Ye, pretty sure this season will have Jace going to the Vale, coming back for Luke's funeral, going to Winterfell, bonding with Cregan, making the Pact, then coming back for the Sowing of the Seeds.

The one thing I am both worried about and looking forward to is that the format of the show has to change and its scope expands this season. Season one was a family drama, with even Ser Otto and Criston Cole functioning as members of the Targaryen-Velaryon clan despite not being officially part of it.

Now the rest of Westeros is gonna come crashing in, with everyone disatisfied with the status quo trying to ride the coattails of the war and everyone ok with how things were under Viserys trying to shield what they have. We will see how the change of pace will impact things...

That's a pretty standard arc structure: rising action -> climax -> falling action -> conclusion.
The writing, acting, and set design thus far has given me plenty of reason to think that they can handle it competently. In fact that's a big part of what the story of Fire & Blood (and HotD) is building towards (much like ASOIAF/GoT before it)- how seemingly tiny or intensely personal issues and grievances can boil over into civil wars; Tyrion learning about the dagger at Joffrey's wedding was driving that point home, though not particularly deftly.

I never actually saw the first season of House of the Dragon, and by the time I caught up on the books, GoT was already going downhill, so I skipped it.

So, what's the general consensus on HoD? I haven't really heard that much about it from my circle of friends.

Having seen both HotD and read Fire and Blood I thought it was both quite good and a more faithful adaptation than GOT was.

I would recommend the new Shogun show for something similar. It's basically historical fanfiction post Sengoku Jidai. Though season 2 has been greenlit, season 1 is a complete tale in itself. Honestly, comparing Shogun to GOT is a disservice to Shogun.

I never actually saw the first season of House of the Dragon, and by the time I caught up on the books, GoT was already going downhill, so I skipped it.

So, what's the general consensus on HoD? I haven't really heard that much about it from my circle of friends.
The first season is worth watching just for an excellent and somehow moving depiction of Viserys. Like, genuinely surprising.

Back