Harry Potter: Ideas, discussion and rec thread - The First War

Last edited:
Wizarding Britain is not "stuck" in any century. Just for starters, they elected a woman to Minister for Magic in 1798 and don't appear to have problems with racism (Cantankerus Nott had no issue with the Shacklebolts and Shafiqs).
There's lots of weird things that don't quite fit into any century. Like, the Quidditch locker rooms are explicitly co-ed (characters of both sexes chat while changing in book 1). And then other books also puts showers in the locker rooms, so who knows what's going on with that.

My go to example is to treat the Wizarding World as another country, for all it's co-located with muggle UK. Because it's not the UK today, yesterday or tomorow. It's really its own thing.

This also works quite well for how a well a given wizard understands the muggle world. To them Muggledom is like, say, Japan, to us - far off, maybe interesting, but also not something you're going to directly interact with. They'll likely know an eclectic range of 'facts' which have an equal chance of being true or just made up by someone. And no real desire to know more.

Unless you're a weeb like Arthur Weasley. He's the wizarding equivalent of the guy with an anime bodypillow.

My favorite would be approaching a scientist and let them on the secret of magic, so we can quantum the shit out of it, secretly ofc.
Good luck with that when magic plays havoc with electrics and it's not entirely clear if it can be scientifically studied.

Is this female Minister one of post canon facts?
Fudge's predecessor, briefly mentioned in one book about people expecting Dumbledore to go for the job when she retired. Millicent Bagnold or some shit.

There's lots of weird things that don't quite fit into any century. Like, the Quidditch locker rooms are explicitly co-ed (characters of both sexes chat while changing in book 1). And then other books also puts showers in the locker rooms, so who knows what's going on with that.

My go to example is to treat the Wizarding World as another country, for all it's co-located with muggle UK. Because it's not the UK today, yesterday or tomorow. It's really its own thing.

This also works quite well for how a well a given wizard understands the muggle world. To them Muggledom is like, say, Japan, to us - far off, maybe interesting, but also not something you're going to directly interact with. They'll likely know an eclectic range of 'facts' which have an equal chance of being true or just made up by someone. And no real desire to know more.

Unless you're a weeb like Arthur Weasley. He's the wizarding equivalent of the guy with an anime bodypillow.

Exactly. Talking about how Wizarding Britain is simply "backwards," whether culturally or technologically, and laying out a list of differences between Wizarding and Muggle Britain without any thought given to the underlying reasons just plain strikes me as the same breed of cultural chauvinism that we can see in eg early modern European accounts of pretty much any non-European culture.

Like, people talk so much about the lack of cell phones as a sign of Wizarding inferiority relative to Muggles, but James and Sirius had mobile videophones in the 1970s and Hermione built a pager system in her spare time. Wizards can clearly make cell phone analogues when they want to, but their culture clearly doesn't value this (perhaps because the Floo network and Apparition mean that it's often almost as easy for a wizard to instantaneously pop over for a live chat as it is for us to call our friends on the phone).

Harry Potter is just a silly children's story when you get down to it, so I'm not upset like I might be about e.g. contemporary Americans talking shit about foreigners, but it's funny to me that the same kind of unreflective analysis is going on.

(And this is not to say that Wizarding Britain is entirely superior, either. Wizboos are bad in basically the same way, just inverted: "this is different and so it's better." We can't ignore the literal slavery or the nightmare hell prison, to give two examples.)

Like, people talk so much about the lack of cell phones as a sign of Wizarding inferiority relative to Muggles, but James and Sirius had mobile videophones in the 1970s and Hermione built a pager system in her spare time. Wizards can clearly make cell phone analogues when they want to, but their culture clearly doesn't value this (perhaps because the Floo network and Apparition mean that it's often almost as easy for a wizard to instantaneously pop over for a live chat as it is for us to call our friends on the phone).

I've long enjoyed the idea of them using floo-loaded cigarette lighters as cell phones.

"Every waking minute" is obviously going too far, but this actually reminds me of something that frustrated me a bit with the books.

Basically, for the muggleborn students, magic is really, really, REALLY cool. Learning it is exciting and amazing and empowering for them in a way that it wouldn't be for wizard-born children. Sure, the wizard-borns will know a little magic before starting school, and start with a major advantage in terms of broad familiarity with the rules and theory, but the muggleborns are going to attack their studies with an aggression that I think would quickly make up for that. The novelty will wear off eventually, sure, but that's probably going to take at least their first couple of years.

Basically: I feel like *every* muggleborn would be Hermione, at least for a while.

As a teenager into history it always made me really annoyed the way Harry was completely disinterested in the history of the wizard world. Sure, it was taught by a boring teacher, I've been there. But he's just so incurious!

"Ho hum, who wants to read about goblin rebellions" I DO! I WANT TO READ ABOUT THEM!!

As a teenager into history it always made me really annoyed the way Harry was completely disinterested in the history of the wizard world. Sure, it was taught by a boring teacher, I've been there. But he's just so incurious!

"Ho hum, who wants to read about goblin rebellions" I DO! I WANT TO READ ABOUT THEM!!

I liked history as a kid, but I knew that a lot of my classmates didn't, so I could understand Harry being that way.

I did not know a single kid who wouldn't have been thrilled to attend the class where they teach you to levitate and shoot lasers out of your anus.

Was pondering how I'd theoretically go about handling a take on the ever-popular 'Dark' Harry subgenre in a semi plausible manor, without going completely over bored with the concept, like say, The Downward Spiral Saga *shivers* or something.

Plot bunny is that a largely unrepentant Grindelwald is broken out of/breaks out of Nurmengard in the mid-80s, going into hiding and quietly rebuilding his support base while plotting his next moves.

Despite the panic and extensive ongoing manhunt the events of the first book still play out largely unchanged. Things however drastically go off the rails in CoS when Gellert hatches a plot to impersonate an extremely unlucky Gilderoy Lockhart with Polyjuice (Gellert utterly rips apart poor Gilderoy's mind in the process, really wanting to make a good impression of the man to avoid his cover getting blown), sneaking into Hogwarts as the DADA professor under Dumbledore's nose, all in an attempt to reclaim the Elder Wand. Of course the opening of the Chamber and the following petrifications rather derails his plan.

Grindelwald in the mean time takes some interest in the famous "Boy Who Lived", having heard so much about the apparent only survivor of the Killing Curse and defeater of that up start Riddle, ending up trying to assert himself as a mentor figure for the boy.

...then Albus is petrified or outright killed by the Basilisk's stare and things promptly go to Hell.

In honor of the recent Scott Pilgrim show, allow me to repost an old crossover parody idea I came up with a while back:

In order to date Harry, Ginny has to defeat his Seven Evil Exes, each of whom represents a certain common ship and its accompanying tropes.

1. Maria Emma Susan Daniels, or Peggy for short. She is an American exchange student consistently described as extremely beautiful even though the text is inconsistent about what she actually looks like. Harry went on one date with her based entirely on the fact she's really hot, only to realize within minutes that she's an extremely boring idiot and dumps her then and there. Peggy insists that she's the One True Pairing for Harry and will fight for it. However, it turns out she's absolute rubbish when it comes to Magic and has some spectacularly wrong ideas about how it works ("What the hell is a Magical Core?"), and Ginny defeats her easily. And when Dumbledore suddenly remembers that Hogwarts doesn't actually have foreign exchange students he promptly kicks her out of Hogwarts.

2. Luna, who is a seer that can see the future in great detail. She never really liked Harry romantically, but she saw Harry's future and believed it was vital for his future that they date. Harry went along with it at first, only to realize just how maddening it can be to date someone who can predict literally everything. He dumped her after she predicted his bowel movements one too many times. Luna doesn't really want to fight Ginny, but she believes it's important for the future for Harry not to get together with Ginny and is able to use her future knowledge to nearly beat Ginny. Ginny gets Luna to stand down after convincing her there is in fact a good future where Harry and Ginny end up together.

3. XO!, who is the main character from a very popular fictional franchise in-universe. Harry summons her to his universe both to have her defeat Voldemort and to date her. However, it turns out she was less interested in fighting Voldemort than constantly explaining to everyone how much the HP Universe sucks and how much better her own universe is. Most of her complaints aren't even true (Magical Houses aren't actually a thing), and even when she does make a good point she still comes across as so annoying and arrogant that her would-be supporters want nothing to do with her (like Dobby whenever she rants about house-elves' rights). Harry dumps her over that, and XO! wants to fight since she wants Harry to admit her universe is in fact better than his. Her powers (all canonical from her own universe) make her really powerful in the HP universe, but it turns out that Ginny is a huge fan of XO!'s stories and knows all the best ways to fight her. Ginny wins by sending XO! back to her own universe.

4. Draco, who changed drastically after putting on a cursed pair of very shiny and very tight Leather Pants: he's now a flamboyantly gay teenager really into Muggle culture. Harry dates him because at the time he was just realizing he's bi and Draco was the only single age-appropriate guy who liked other guys available at the time, and he initially thought Draco changed for the better after he put on the Leather Pants. However, he kept trying to change Harry and make him someone he isn't, mainly more feminine and "gay-acting." Harry eventually left out of frustration, and Draco wants to stay with Harry because he claims they're Soul-Bonded (which Harry keeps insisting isn't real). Oh, and Draco is now half-Veela, half-vampire, and half-dragon. Don't ask how that works, the important thing is he's now a dangerous opponent for Ginny. She manages to beat him by destroying the Leather Pants, which snaps him back to normal. Horrified by everything he did while under the influence of the Leather Pants, he promptly agrees to stop fighting.

I should add Ginny doesn't care that Harry's been with men, only that he was with Draco specifically. If anything, she wonders why Harry didn't end up with Ron instead. Similarly, Draco doesn't care that he was with men while under the influence of the Leather Pants, only that he was with the half-blooded Harry specifically. If anything, he's grateful that he at least didn't end up with a muggleborn like Hermione.

5. and 6. Fleur and Daphne Greengrass, who dated Harry at the same time. On his 16th birthday, Fleur shows up at his door and reveals that he is 0.83% more "compatible" for her than Bill Weasley, which according to her Veela nature means she had to immediately dump Bill and be with him. We never find out precisely what "compatibility" even means, but we do understand why it's important: the more "compatible" their partner is, the more and stronger Veela fire powers they get.

Daphne, meanwhile, also showed up on Harry's door that day and reveals that shortly after they were born their moms got drunk at a bar and ended up signing a magical marriage contract. The contract did include a few ways to end the contract without either of them losing their inheritance, the simplest of which was to date for a while when they turned 16 and officially break up afterwards. Daphne has zero interest in marrying Harry (she's very much a lesbian), but she wants to get the marriage contract over and done with by going on the legally required amount of dates before it can be cancelled. Oh, and she's an Ice Princess, by which I mean she has cool ice powers. Personality-wise, she's warm and bubbly.

Harry very much didn't like being with Fleur and Daphne at the same time: he's strictly monogamous, they both kind of insisted themselves on him for their own selfish reasons, and he just didn't like them. He ended up breaking up with both of them since he couldn't take it any more, which prompted them to work together to fight for Harry: Fleur because she wants to be with her "Compatible" person, and Daphne because Harry still owes her another date before the marriage contract can officially be broken. Their fire and ice powers combined make them very dangerous for Ginny and they nearly beat her. Ginny manages to get them both to stand down after helping them realize they love each other. This prompts Fleur to end the fighting, since Daphne is 1.23% more "Compatible" than Harry. And when Ginny gets Harry to agree to one more "date" with Daphne, Daphne agrees to put an end to the fighting too.

7. Hermione. She and Harry were actually a perfectly normal couple, who only broke up because they realized they worked better as friends and did get along after the break-up. Or at least they did before Hermione inexplicably changed: she became weirdly obsessed with Magic culture, or at least what she claimed was Magic culture, and even insisted that she wasn't a muggleborn at all but was in fact part of some ancient Magic family. She wants to be with Harry out of some belief that together they'd be all-powerful Lord and Lady Potter, which Harry keeps saying isn't a thing. Ginny defeats her with minimal effort, because "the brightest witch of her age" is now completely and utterly useless with Magic. It's at that point that we learn the reason for why Hermione's changed so much, the originator of the League:

Nega-Harry, an all-powerful sex-obsessed asshole who wants to get his own harem of interchangable women to sleep with. Ginny vows to defeat him using the Power of Love. Nega-Harry mocks the idea as a childish fantasy and sarcastically asks if she'll hug him to death or stab him with kindness. Ginny responds that she'll actually stab him with a sword, specifically one created with the Power of Love, stained a bright pink from a whole lot of blood. Using the sword, she ultimately defeats him. This frees Hermione from his control, and she agrees to stop fighting and happily gives her blessing to Harry and Ginny.

Any thoughts? And keep in mind you're all totally free to steal the idea and write a proper story out of it.

In order to get into Hogwarts, the Quill of Acceptance must write your name down into the Book of Admittance as well as the proof of magic. If the book thinks that the proof isn't good enough, it closes to stop the quill from writing your name down.

For Neville, the proof was probably him bouncing after falling down. For Harry, it could be his impossibly fast-growing hair after a bald cut or shrinking clothes when he didn't like them.

What magical feat that got Hogwarts Legacy Protagonist into Hogwarts, according to your headcanons?

Here and there, I work on a Reference Guide to Writing Harry Potter Fanfiction. It's got a style guide (to match canon's capitalization, hyphenation, etc.), a couple of short guides to writing duels and handling the stations of canon, a much longer guide to posting on AO3 (including a tagging guide), commonly-made mistakes about canon, lots of worldbuilding resources, etymologies for a few hundred surnames, support for French names, and a lot more.

Source

To any Hogwarts Legacy players here, which of the following do you believe is the most likely reason Amit Thakkar is crying internally?
  1. He's sad because the Protagonist has never taken him to the various astronomy tables scattered throughout the Scottish Highlands.
  2. He's scared shitless because the Protagonist led him deep into a goblin mine full of Ranrok's Loyalists who have no problem killing kids.
  3. He's dismayed because the developers removed most of his Ravenclaw companion questline from the story.
  4. All of the above.

Source

To any Hogwarts Legacy players here, which of the following do you believe is the most likely reason Amit Thakkar is crying internally?
  1. He's sad because the Protagonist has never taken him to the various astronomy tables scattered throughout the Scottish Highlands.
  2. He's scared shitless because the Protagonist led him deep into a goblin mine full of Ranrok's Loyalists who have no problem killing kids.
  3. He's dismayed because the developers removed most of his Ravenclaw companion questline from the story.
  4. All of the above.

5. she was thinking abt putting on a skirt to maybe see how it felt and she received official confirmation from the author of the world she lives in that this would make her a dirty pervert freak or something, idk, and now she simply wishes to escape the terf game and try estrogen

Crossover idea with World of Darkness, specifically Mage the Ascension in the renaissance era. I posted this idea over on SB before.

This idea will be a fusion of World of Darkness and Harry Potter. The time period would be during the renaissance. Unlike in Harry Potter timeline witch burning in this fusion is far more severe.

While it is true that many witches and wizard cooperate and coexist with muggle, some of them does indeed abuse muggles as with the case of dark wizard family such as the gaunt casting crucio on muggle for fun. This alongside average superstition had led to increasing distrust between Wizard and Muggle. At first witch burning was not view with much of a concern, a skilled wizard can easily escape burning.

However, they soon noticed that number of wizard and witch being killed were becoming higher as days past. They have long encounter rare cases of human who can reduce effect of charm and curse through their fanatic belief (WoD True Faith), which while problematic can often be dealt with. However, the intensity and regularity of these occurrence had become abnormal.

They will soon learn that a new organization that had been form to protect humanity from all supernatural, and that action of Dark Wizard had attract its attention. The Order of Reason as it was called, was organization composed of mage (human who can bend reality to their will) that use their power to create wondrous technology, or even use their faith in gods to smite their enemy. Wizarding world had encounter these mages before, and had been interacting with group such as Order of Hermes.

This would result in century long conflicts. Order of Reason work in tandem with inquisition to fight against what they perceive as threat to humanity. Gabrielite work in tandem with the inquisition, wages shadow war against wizard. Using their dynamic magic to located Wizard and Witches, and coordinate witch hunter with true faith to attack them. The rise of tension eventually culminate into assault on Beauxbaton academy in the Pyrenees mountain range by combine forces of Catholic inquisition muster from France and Spain alongside the support of Magi of Order of Reason. Beauxbaton was chosen due to it proximity to Order of Reason headquarter the White Tower of Languedoc. Grabrielite divine the path through charm and ward that hide and protect the academy, Ksirafai kidnap and interrogate wizard for academy location, while Artificer provide them with weapon and war Machine. Inquisition provide man power for the assault alongside their true faith member who can somewhat negate the effect of charm and curse (though true faith won't help you survive against getting hit with multi tons stone statue). The assault end up in Order of Reason defeat, but it cause damage unseen before in Wizarding world by outside forces.

This shadow war had result in Wizarding community being face with genuine threat from outsider for the first time. Though the conflict hardly pose existentential threat to Wizarding world. By their very nature magi of Order of Reason are few in number compare to global community of Wizard, and their own magic is far more reliable than these "enlighten science" OoR used.

By the late 1692 the conflict had dragged on so long that both side become tired of it. Wizarding World is self sustaining and can become self contain, interacting with muggle at this much of a cost is view as no longer worth it. Thus the statute of secrecy came into action in 1692. For OoR while the more fire brand convention like the Cabal of Pure thoughts (Gabrielite) still wish to smite the witch and heretic of wizarding world, other convention reign them in. Knowing full well that Wizarding world retreat into the shadow greatly benefit them, and that this would allow them to change humanity consensus with far greater ease.

The very act of wizarding world choosing seclusion had also greatly harm their rival the Council of 9 mystic tradition.

Now came the era where Order of Reason believes can truly be propagated across the world.

After the fail attack on Beauxbaton Academy The Order of Reason forces are beaten back and the catholic inquisition leadership and manpower was essentially decimated which would result in their slow decline until their dissolution. However, this attack is also the first time non Wizard threaten one Wizarding world most important location and actually came close to destroying it. The amount of casualty inflicted on wizarding world is also pretty severe, this is the conflict between wizarding world and non wizard that result in most wizard being killed.

Different faction learn different thing from this. Order of Reasons just got huge dose of reality check that as it stand they are no where near as powerful enough to force their will on powerful faction like wizarding world, encouraging them to further increase their power and reach (though they already have plenty of reason to do that).

Wizarding world have split view on this event. The bad blood between Order of Reasons and Wizarding world will persist for centuries to come but by modern era relation get a lot more cordial since many of their goal align. Wizard supremecist feel that their superiority is reaffirm by their victory over OoR and mortal forces and this narrative still persist in some circle despite the huge different Order of Reasons of Old and their current iteration in form of Technocratic Union. For most other wizard the event was pretty traumatic, and reinforce the need for isolation.

Of course, Order of Reason won't get to attack one of Wizarding World without retaliation. In 1745 disgruntle wizards and witches who have loss family and friend during the conflict angry at Order of Reason getting away for essentially free decide to take vengeance into their own hand. This result in the attack on and the subsequent destruction of Order of Reasons headquarter the White Tower of Languedoc.

Where is the Mage of Council of 9 Mystic Tradition in all of this? Well lets just say that Order of Hermes prior to the shadow war, got into conflict with Wizarding world, and decide to sit from the side line to watch both of their rival annihilate one another. A grave miscalculation. While both Wizarding World and Order of Reason got bloodied and bruised they are still powerful. Wizarding World retreat into isolation also turn the consensus against the Council for good.

So if this is a thread discussion recommendations and story ideas, I suppose I might as well throw my own hat in. I'm currently working on a crossover between Harry Potter and The Godfather, utilizing Mario Puzo and FFC's ideas for the unmade Godfather 4. My story is following Michael, after the events of The Godfather Part 3, learning that he his related to Harry Potter and decides to raise him to find a form of redemption, as well as to leave a legacy behind when Vincent starts converting the family business into a drug empire.

Would anyone be interested if I started posting it here to this site? If so please tell me so, and if I get enough of a response I'll start posting a chapter a week and provide a link to the thread.

So I'm working on an (admittedly dumb) idea.

Basically, before Hogwarts Harry's magic teleports him to the Source, where he merges with his equivalent. After years go by (and he goes through the canon WoL's story up to the end of Endwalker), he's pulled back Earth to go to Hogwarts, where he begins teaching people FF magic

So, a long time ago I proposed an idea for a Hermione x Fleur fic, and I actually wrote a little bit of it.

The initial point of diversion is at the quidditch world cup, where Hermione encounters Veela for the first time and has a reaction not completely dissimilar to Harry and Ron. This snippet occurs a little later in the story.

It's late in the evening, and the light from the setting sun drifts in through the nearby window, bathing the library in a golden light.

It creates a nice atmosphere that Hermione rather enjoys, it relaxes her. Enjoying the silence of the library during golden hour is one of her favourite ways to unwind after a long day, and God knows she needs it after today. It's been a very stressful day, no wait, it's been a very stressful week. Better yet, a stressful month!

Although, it doesn't seem to be working tonight. She has a book open on the table before her, a huge leather-bound tomb that is surely stuffed full of knowledge. Yet she finds that she can not concentrate on it, her eyes slide over the words without really seeing them, and the contents fail to imprint themselves on her mind.

Her distraction isn't just down to helping Harry with his dragon problem, or trying to mediate between him and Ron. The truth is she'd been having her own problems, like her lack of sleep. For the past month her dreams had been troubled by … by visions that left her questioning some things about herself. She'd woken up several times over the last few nights with a name on her lips, and she really hopes that she doesn't talk in her sleep. The perils of sharing a room with others.

She'd thought the incident at the world cup had been a one-off, a freak accident, but it transpires she's not that fortunate.

"Hello."

The sound of the voice rips Hermione from her reverie, and she feels a chill run down her spine. The lilting quality and the distinct French accent cause her stomach to tighten almost painfully, and her heart actually skips a beat. Her mind races with all sort of thoughts and feelings that she's in no particular rush to examine.

After taking a moment to steady herself, Hermione forces herself to look up from her book.

Sure enough she sees a blue eyes staring back at her, there such a deep blue like the colour of the sea. They're set in a face with delicate yet striking features, and framed by hair so blonde it's almost white.

It's the prettiest face she's ever seen.

"Is this seat taken?" Fleur asks.

Almost without conscious thought Hermione shakes her head. However, as Fleur gracefully lowers herself into the seat on the opposite side of the table, Hermione surreptitiously casts her gaze around the room, and immediately spies several empty tables not too far away. As such she can't help but be suspicious.

None of the other Beauxbatons students are here, so Fleur came alone. Why? More over, she specifically chose to sit at a table with Hermione, despite the fact that plenty of others are clearly available. Is she going to try and fish for information on Harry? She is currently in last place in the tournament, so maybe she's desperate enough to try and gather dirt on the competition?

"Am I really so suspicious?"

Hermione starts, shaken from her thoughts at the sound of the other girl's voice.

Fleur giggles, and annoyingly Hermione finds the sound light and melodic.

"You are not very adept at hiding your emotions," Fleur says. "You face is wonderfully expressive."

That … sounded very close to a complement, and Hermione feels the heat creeping into her cheeks.

She clears her throat in the hopes of retaining a little of her dignity.

"Can I help you with something?" she asks.

She intends to sound polite, perhaps even a little friendly, to avoid tipping her hand if nothing else. Unfortunately, her voice comes out a little more icy than she'd intended. Strangely, Miss Delacour does not seem at all insulted by her tone, if anything the smile on her face actually grows slightly bigger.

"Very well, let us get straight to the point," she replies. "There is indeed something you can help me with."

Hermione braces herself for whatever Fleur says next. Whatever the French girl tries to bribe or threaten her with, she won't give her anything on Harry.

"You are aware of course, or the Yule Ball occurring on Christmas?" Fleur asks.

That brings Hermione up short, because she certainly hadn't expected her to ask about the Yule Ball. She had expected her to ask about Harry, or about something else that would potentially give her an advantage in the upcoming tasks. Unless this is some roundabout way of asking? Is she trying to get her to lower her guard by starting with something more innocuous?

"I am," she answers.

Fleur sighs dramatically, and runs a hand through her hair. It's an act, but it's obviously an act, so obviously an act that she couldn't possibly have expected it to be convincing.

"Unfortunately," Fleur continues. "It seems I currently find myself without a partner."

Hermione frowns. Surely this girl can't be expecting her to help her find a boy to go to the ball with? She's pretty sure that Fleur has enjoyed more popularity with the boys during the short time since she came to Hogwarts, than she has in her entire life. In fact, it seems really odd that Fleur of all people doesn't have a partner yet. Given how most of the boys can't seem to stop throwing themselves at her feet, she should be spoilt for choice.

This has to be a ruse.

"And what does that have to do with me?" she asks.

"To be blunt, as you English so often are," Fleur replies. "I was hoping you would be my partner."

And that causes Hermione's thoughts to come to a sudden stop, the gears of her mind grinding against each other as they struggle to turn.

Fleur wants her to be her partner for the Yule Ball? But that's … they're...

In her head she can suddenly picture it, the two of them dancing together in some kind of waltz. She has her hand up on Fleur's shoulder, whilst the French girl's hand is at her waist. For some reason she imagines them dancing beneath the stars, surrounded by snow on all sides, It should be freezing, but for some reason she feels so warm in Fleur's arms. Lights sparkle in the nearby trees, giving the whole setting a dream-like quality.

Then suddenly they're not alone. There's other people there, watching them, judging them. She can hear the whispers and the snickering, she can feel their eyes on her and it's like being bathed in ice. The music suddenly becomes discordant and chaotic, and she can match her steps to the rhythm.

Hermione drags herself out of her little reverie, and forces herself back in to the present moment.

She can see that Fleur is watching her carefully, her expression dangerously close to concern.

Hermione clears her throat, buying herself a moment to regain her composure.

"Why me?" she asks.

Her voice is a little tighter, a little more strained than she would have liked, and she knows the other girl has to have noticed.

Fleur smiles again, and leans back in her seat.

"You think I have not noticed the way you looked at me?" she asks. "I told you, you are not very adept at hiding your emotions."

Again, Hermione feels her cheeks grow warm. She noticed?!

"But you could have your pick of any boy in this school," Hermione says. "Why me?"

Fleur laughs again.

"It is true," she says. "Many of the boys in this school would gladly be my partner for this ball, some have even summoned the courage to ask. But their affections are shallow."

Hermione can't help but feel a little incredulous at her explanation, and arches an eyebrow.

"More shallow than this?" she asks. "We've never spoken before."

Fleur suddenly leans forward, and places her hand over Hermione's own. For a moment Hermione is distracted by just how soft and warm her hand is.

"And that is precisely what makes you a better option," she says. "You are attracted to me, I can tell, but you do not immediately throw yourself at my feet. These boys, for all their declarations of love, they see the veela but they do not see Fleur Delacour."

Then she pulls back, and Hermione immediately finds herself missing the warmth of her hand.

"Do not misunderstand," Fleur says. "I am proud of my veela heritage, but it is not all that I am. And an ideal partner would certainly not be swayed by just that."

Hermione nods her head. Fleur's argument seems almost logical, disturbingly so.

"You're saying that you would prefer to take me," she says. "Because I didn't immediately give in to your veela charms?"

Fleur nods.

"Just so!" she exclaims.

Hermione doesn't have to look to know that Madam Pince is glaring in their direction, although Fleur looks supremely unconcerned.

She has to admit she's tempted. It's true that she's attracted to Fleur, so much so that it kind of scares her actually; and attending the ball with her feels like it would be amazing. Yet on the other hand, the entire school will be at the Yule Ball, and if she goes people will know. She will be coming out of the closet in a very public way.

There's always been a bit of hardness in Hermione, a stubborn voice that refuses to be completely cowed or intimidated, and that voice speaks up now.

Is she going to hide all of her life? Keep the truth a closely guarded secret, and live in fear of anyone ever finding out? Hasn't she always told herself that she needs to live true to herself, for better or worse? Why make this the exception? Why lie about this?

Hermione takes a deep breath to calm herself, and then looks Fleur straight in her deep, blue eyes. Her heart is beating fast, but she manages to keep her voice level.

"Like I said," she answers. "We've never even spoken before. And I wouldn't want to go to the Yule Ball with a completely stranger. So tell me about yourself."

Fleur's grin turns into a true smile, and it's absolutely radiant.

"Of course," she says. "What would you like to know?"

Has anyone done a good crossover with Codename: Kids Next Door? Because I had a fun little idea where Harry was a member of the KND's Sector E when he got his Hogwarts letter. He then learns that the Wizarding World has their own anti-adult organization, albeit with some important differences (like having teenagers as members). The two groups don't exactly get along and Harry is ordered to spy on their Hogwarts chapter. Complicating this is the fact his new best friend Ron is actually a member of said chapter.

Meanwhile, we learn that Hermione's parents are dentist-themed adult villains, with Hermione as their assistant. She's had several fights with Harry in the past, and she intends to continue her dentist-based villainy in Hogwarts. Draco is also revealed to be a member of the magical equivalent of the Rowdy Hooligans From Across the Square, and fighting him is pretty much the one thing Harry, Ron, and Hermione all agree on.

Speaking about that "weird kid" in the image, I wonder how the Trio would react if Hagrid tells them good stories about the Hogwarts Mystery Protagonist who was a Slytherin.

Hagrid: "You remind me of all the good things that nice kid did when s/he was your age years ago. S/he helped Fang overcome his fear of cats, helped me in relocating the fairies to their new home. S/he even helped Dumbledore hold the best surprise party for me!"

Harry: "Wow! Sounds like you had a great time, Hagrid!"

Hermione: "S/he must had been one of the nicest students, given how fondly you remember her/him."

Ron: "Well, Hufflepuffs are often the friendliest lot in this school."

Hagrid: "Oh, s/he wasn't from Hufflepuff actually."

Harry: "Ah, so s/he's Gryffindor then."

Hagrid: *Chuckles warmly* "Nope! Slytherin!"

The Trio: "....."

Can someone point me in the direction of a story where a fem!Harry is stuffed in the fireplace by Petunia and gets possessed by the flames or something to that effect. I know I've seen it on AO3, but I can't remember the title for the life of me and the tags I thought would lead me to it the quickest didn't pan out. Another scene I remember is during the Quirrel confrontation he commends her ability to bypass his wards to enter his office, only for her to reveal she just used a mundane axe.

More ideas about Harry "Riki-Oh" Potter:
  • Veronica Evans has a brother named Mark. HOWEVER, unlike his canon counterpart, he kind of doesn't care about magic, as he has since migrated to Texas and is in the business of hunting down feral hogs. He's now become, in so many words, a redneck -- that doesn't care that much about magic, since he has taken part in feral hog hunts with some MACUSA folks and some Ilvermorny students (it's his other job, being a hunting guide for magicals).
  • Snape wants to hate Harry. However, he can't. He promised Peter he'd look after Lily's kid while in Hogwarts, and that's going to throw a gigantic monkey wrench in his own plans, especially when nearly everyone at Hogwarts thinks Harry's related to Hagrid because he's close to six feet tall at the start of first year, and he has yet to get a growth spurt.
  • Unsure about how the whole Horcrux business goes down. I already have some ideas (like Tom wasn't driven mad due to him splitting his soul, he went mad because he stumbled upon a gigantic conspiracy across the mundane and magical worlds, and resorted to terrorism because he saw no other way to rouse people into it).
  • Also unsure whether I'm going to integrate the Riki-Oh universe. Maybe I'll just leave it at Peter and Lily Evans being the only practitioners of the art in the West, just to keep the story from becoming too complicated.

Hi, wondering if anyone here can help me find a oneshot I read a couple of years ago.

As I recall, it's a crossover set in a Harry Potter AU, with elements of Dresden Files. Draco Malfoy as the POV character is working with the Order of the Phoenix, which is in increasingly desperate straits after Harry and Ron died incapacitating Voldemort. As a result Hermione becomes obsessed with revenge, researching a Dresden Files-style bloodline curse that will wipe out all the related Purebloods now that the last ones she cared about are gone. She hides her notes behind a polarized mirror at 12 Grimmauld Place, the investigation of which by Malfoy takes up the bulk of the fic. That's as much as I remember, this might've been a part of a fic collection without much of a setup or resolution.

If you're looking for some not quite crack kind of meta (but definitely humorous) AU stories, I'll recommend two by The Sentient Duck. Neither is afraid to make changes to canon and there's more than a bit of absurdity threaded through each. They're on fanfiction.net and AO3.

Hermione Granger and the Self-Insert Cabal
Completed, under 60k, three SIs get dumped into the world and are less than subtle. I'm usually against multiple SI stories but this one is well executed.

Harry Potter and the Ludicrously Illegal Blog
Ongoing, 75k, First year at Hogwarts completed. Harry runs a blog of his first year. Ministry incompetence and muggle authority's curiosity are how he manages it. Format is a mix of letters, blog entries, Reddit posts, and more normal narrative.

As a heads up the author was pretty torqued at JKR about her comments on LGBTQ issues so if a little bit of that is a dealbreaker then feel free to skip the fics. Both stories felt like talking with younger relatives who'd point out goofy fanfics aren't that serious. If you've read There is no Epic Loot here, Only Puns these stories have a similar lighthearted feel.

Back